8.3

1. Oct 18, 2013
    Keeping in mind that I'm not a pool expert, so I am not looking for the same things that an expert would, this game is almost everything I have always wanted in a game of computerized pool. The controls are very intuitive, even for very complicated trick shots. Controlling the cue stick feels natural, even with 5 degrees of freedom in 3D space (2 for where you strike the ball, 2 for the rotation along two axes, and one for pulling and pushing the stick). For a non-expert like me, having the projected trajectories indicated before the shot based on everything, including how strongly you plan to strike, makes even very complex shots feasible. The automatic slow motion, when a shot is successful, is fun sometimes, but it quickly starts to get old and it slows down the game. Fortunately, it can be turned off. I have only two complaints. The first is that the graphics are pretty, but very artificial, with just too much reflection and textures that are too smooth. It would be great if this were an option along with realistic graphics, but if realism is an option, I haven't found it yet. My other peeve is that the game is much too oriented toward a "career path". I have a job already, all I want to do is play pool. The game has a free play mode, but it's extremely limited. Maybe additional features unlock as you progress along your career path, but my opinion is that they got my money up front, so I should have all the features up front, even if I don't want to role play being a professional pool player. One thing that bothers me less, but might irritate some players is that the physics are perfect. Too perfect. Everything behaves according to an ideal, deterministic model. In the real world, the balls aren't perfect, the cue stick isn't perfect, the table isn't perfect, there are air currents, the cue stick's tip may not be evenly chalked, and even the most adept professional isn't a finely tuned machine that repeats the same moves without variation. Adding these imperfections to the model, even only as an option that people can turn on or off, would make the game feel just a bit more natural. But aside from these minor details, the game is well worth getting and it made me retire every other pool game I owned, except for the one on my iPad, which I'd replace in a second if Pool Nation were available for it. Expand
  2. Oct 22, 2013
    This game is awesome myself as well as a large group on steam 50 members and rising would all highly recommend it.

The physics are spot on and the graphics are stunning. the developers Cherry Pop Games deserve an award for everything they have done. this is not a simple port from the XBox and PS3 but a new version designed specifically for pc gamers.

The developers are keen to listen
    to our feedback and have addressed everything there customers report as well as adding new things based on our requests. I have played many other pool games my favorites being virtual pool and hustle kings but this game hands down beats everything before it. Without aiming aids it will even improve your real game. Hands down the best pool game to date and hats off to Cherry pop games for providing a game and level of service a lot of other game companies could learn from,

A straight ten from me.
  3. Oct 22, 2013
    Very realist and nice poolgame. Good physics aslo planned trickshot releasing for free in a further update.

The price is another plus, never had so much fun for only 10$
  4. Oct 22, 2013
    Very fun game and the physics and graphics are amazing for such a cheap game. The trailer might look overkill (bouncing balls) but it all depends on how you play, if you wanna do trickshots you can do things which are impossible in real life, if you wanna play like you would in real life, that's possible too. The developers also have been very active on the discussion board and are listening to all our feedback and suggestions. I would highly recommend this. Expand
  5. Oct 22, 2013
    A pool game? That sounds a bit boring doesn't it? Well surprisingly it's really fun! Pool Nation is a fantastic pool game. The physics are quite amazing and detailed. Want to bounce the cue ball off the edge of the table and bounce back in to pot a ball? You can do that. Want to spin the cue ball so it 'swerves' around other balls? You can do that. The amount of stuff you can do with the physics is crazy, and surprisingly it isn't arcadey at all. It feels weighty, and the balls have a very satisfying feel to them, making you yell out when you perform an amazing shot, and roar in frustration when you mess up an easy shot.

There's many game modes, from 9-ball and 8-ball pool, to golf, where you have to pot balls in assigned holes(fun but challenging) and a few others to keep you entertained.

The devs have confirmed that they will be bringing snooker to the game too, which will make an already amazing game even better.

It is a console port. But the graphics looks fantastic, it runs smooth as butter, and the mouse control is great, it doesn't feel clunky at all, and gives you a lot of control.

Even if you are slightly interested in this game, I would say grab it! Hell this game would be appealing to people who don't like real pool.

10/10 I would definitely recommend it, and it's cheap, so you have no excuse!
  6. Oct 22, 2013
    Best pool game on steam, devs are great with the community and this game is getting a lot of patches at the moment, free dlc to be added later and even snooker!
  7. Oct 18, 2013
    Please.......PLEASE.....save your money for a game that actually has some thought put into it. Unless you like playing pool where EVERY difficult shot HAS to be rushed or you lose the game, then this piece of junk is just what you are looking for.

Put your wallet back in your pocket. This game is not worth your hard earned money.
  8. Oct 18, 2013
    Horrible game lacking obvious features. I don't know what the creators of this game were thinking but they destroyed this games chance of being any good by including a forfeit feature that allows opponents to Force you to forfeit the game any time you have to take your time on a shot. So now everyone just waits til the opponent has a hard shot, then forces forfeit and they win you lose and for no other reason then the fact that you tried to make a hard/trick shot. Also have the modes they mention are not even in the game, and what is in the game doesnt even work properly. Unrealistic and a waste of time, dont bother picking up this crap. Expand
  9. Oct 22, 2013
    Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. Plays beautifully with an Xbox controller for the PC, which is my preference for these kind of games. For my taste, it looks gorgeous and sounds incredibly good. Devs are taking a keen interest in constructive feedback and feature requests. Can't speak to the multi-player aspect of the game as that's really not my thing but the single-player has plenty of nice content. Very happy with my purchase. Expand
  10. Oct 22, 2013
    With the Pool Game Enthusiast demographic being quite small, we've seen tons of franchises being dropped. Pool Nation has stepped up to fill the gap left by the good games of old, and boy has it done so well. While the initial release was plagued by a few issues, the game was by large playable and the staff ha s shown to be dedicated to release updates to fix and add things to the game as is needed. The graphics are great and almost make it look like a modern casual game, but don't be fooled as the physics in this game are top notch. Whether you're looking for a game to waste the small gaps of free time in your daily life or actually looking for a new pool game, Pool Nation's got you covered.

If I had to say one bad thing about the game, it's that Free Mode is sort of limited at the moment, making it hard to actually set up custom ball layouts to practice shots and whatnot. But with the upcoming patches we're sure to see this be added to the game. That, and multiplayer with strangers not working properly.

My personal verdict: 8.5
  11. Oct 22, 2013
    Pool Nation is a nice pool game for PC Steam. This game have some bad reviews because is in development. Don't worry and buy it, The developers has said that EVERY BUG WILL BE FIXED. This is that i want to read... fantastic comunication to developers. Very nice game and more options in future.
    The game have various modes to play, super HD pixel perfect graphics. I'm sure to will be perfect.
  12. Oct 22, 2013
    A Pool game on steam has been a long time coming, after losing hours on pool nation I think it was well worth waiting for. The ball physics are spot on and the whole game is a treat for my eyes. There are a few bugs but the devs are very active on the forum and release patches at a rate of knots. Would recommend to any pool fans.
  13. Oct 26, 2013
    By far and away the best pool game I have seen in a long time.

A lot of bugs still, but The guys who created this are working hard to remove them. There is a steam forum dedicated to this game with lots of feedback from both players and developers. For 6 English pound or 7 euros there is a lot of playtime for your cash.

pros: cheap, good physics, online multiplay community already
    growing.

conns: prone to crashing in certain aspects. This is recognised though, with full fixes imminent.
  14. Oct 24, 2013
    A great new generation pool game that effortlessly utilizes today's computers/processors to their fullest extent while also maintaining amazingly easy and comfortable controls. Several levels of visual aids will give novices a relaxing stimulating experience and also challenge the best players for those who prefer no aiming aid at all.
  15. Oct 26, 2013
    This game was an outstanding surprise. Only a few months ago I was looking to see if there was a modern PC pool game that might have flown under the radar. Unfortunately, I didn't find a decent one in my searching. Then about a week ago I was pleasantly surprised to see Pool Nation released on Steam. It's relatively inexpensive, so I figured I would give it a try.... What an excellent game!

The physics are spot-on. The graphics are extremely polished (there is a 'wet paint' sheen on everything). If this game only served up 8-ball, I would have been happy. Not only does it have the obligatory 8-ball & 9-ball, but it has many extra modes of play (think mini games) that are gravy to the whole package. Also, the devs are promising modes such as Snooker as well.

Speaking of the devs, they are outstanding. They communicate with the community every single day. This communication is not just lip service. They take the feedback from the users, whether is be technical concerns or feature suggestions, and actually implement these things, sometimes within hours. Other devs could learn a lot from these guys. Simply head over to their forums on Steam, and you will see this for yourself.

I actually own a nice pool table myself, which might make buying a virtual pool simulation seem a little odd. I bought it so I could play with friends from anywhere in the country (or world). Due to the game being so accurate, I can actually see that it might make me a better player on my real table. :-)

It's a shame that some people (or person) has come here to put 0-score reviews, because some sort of person grudge. That said, once you read through just a handful of reviews here, it doesn't take a lot of effort to determine who is legitimate and who has an agenda.
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    A really great pool game! Well worth the $10.00 price! Physics work awesome and the game plays and looks beautiful. I can't wait for the Box of Tricks DLC!
  17. Dec 2, 2013
    This game is so addictive, this is truly the best pool simulation you could ever find. The controls are really nice and allows to make some creative and crazy shots that have never been seen in a pool video game before. Also the challenges are there and you can spend hours in front of this magic game.
  18. Jan 13, 2014
    Amazing pool game, the physics are off the charts, not only can you shoot the balls, but you can also do focus shots, its a great pool game, cant really understand the lower review scores.
  19. Nov 30, 2013
    I like billiard games, and I've spent a few hours in a pool hall in my time. This game does an excellent job of recreating the physics of pool. The only thing missing is the feel of the cue in your hands and being able to walk around the table and line up your shot by eye.

It has 8 ball and 9 ball of course, as well as 3 ball, rotation, speed pool, straight pool, "golf", and killer
    (where you take turns pocketing balls, and if you miss you lose one of your 3 lives). The balls are very shiny, the tables look very good, and there's a variety of locations to play in.

My only complaint is that the AI doesn't have much personality and the locations you can play in all seem very sterile. Where's my bar? A smokey back-room at a casino or something? Still this is well worth the asking price and they're still improving it.
  20. Apr 7, 2014
    Excellent and believable pool sim.The accuracy of the ball mechanics is a real make or break for this game,and it excels in all departments.Controls are fluid (I'm using a 360 controller)and easy to learn.A few different game modes(tournaments, 8 ball, 9 ball and free play) to keep everyone happy,and the addition of snooker and the box of tricks to be added soon.A low price what more can you ask for? Expand
  21. Oct 28, 2013
    Really good fun. Realistic physics (this is the most important thing) that is easy to pick up and play but difficult to master if you want to learn all the advanced trick shots.

There's a variety of game modes including but not limited to both eight and nine ball pool in both single and multiplayer (including online) ensuring plenty of replay value.

Some effort has gone into the
    visuals so it's as easy on the eye as it is to play. All in all it's a fun game with a high amount of polish that's easy to recommend. Expand
  22. Oct 28, 2013
    Plays a great game of pool, physics seem spot on, and having the chance to play in amateur mode which shows you exactly how the balls are going to react is brilliant for a quick blast!

Graphics are very pretty for an indie game, although you could say a little lifeless, what with the total absence of any crowd or even other people in the room, but who needs lifeforms watching on when
    the gameplay's this epic!

I've never been really got into pool/snooker games before this, but this has got me hook, line and sinker.

If you've got even the slightest interest in pool or snooker I can wholeheartedly recommend this, you won't be disappointed!

Once the developers have addressed the online issues and it will be a solid 10 out of 10 for me.
  23. Oct 28, 2013
    Brilliant pool game, beautiful graphics, plenty of different games to play, more modes being added by the devs, very active on the Steam forums which is always a plus. If you like pool you it's a must buy!
  24. Dec 1, 2013
    Really difficult to find areas of Pool Nation to fault. Looks great, the physics seem perfect. There are plenty of options of different Pool games alongside 8 and 9 ball. The developers are active and care about both the community and progression of the game. There is a great and fun community, some of which arrange tournaments to play within groups of Steam friends arranged via the Steam forums.

The game is underpriced in my opinion. The amount of game hours I have racked against the cost is silly! It is a game that rewards practise and best played with the aim-aid turned off!!
  25. Dec 3, 2013
    Amazing artwork, stunning graphics, fun to play. Honestly a next generation game that got published early. The only downside is that...the game feels empty. No humans or anybody in the background, just agiant wasteland of pool.
  26. Jan 8, 2014
    I can't see the hate for this game. The developers keep everyone in the loop and take all suggestions. They PERSONALLY address the issues. Not like any other dev's I have seen. The game is stunning and the physics are spot on. If you try the game you wouldn't hate it.l Nuff said.
  27. Jan 6, 2014
    It's addictive, fun and above all really shiny.
    It runs really smooth as well and without a doubt very fun to play with someone else, I highly recommend it!!.
  28. Jan 14, 2014
    Really impressed by how good the graphics look. The tutorial teaches you a lot of techniques which is good for people who've never played pool. Besides the normal 8 ball and 9 ball game modes, there are also many other game modes. It is possible to play Online and Local multiplayer.
  29. Jan 15, 2014
    I assure you. If you love billiards you will loved this game. That’s all you need.
    Ignore all the haters review about this game. Buy this game and feel the experience for yourself like I did. This game really gives a really good pool experience no other games did. It feels like playing for real for me. All the sounds that the ball is making when they hit each other, and even when the ball
    hits the floor is so realistic. This game achieves a feeling that you are in a high class pool room. Expand
  30. Jan 17, 2014
    really awesome ! Graphism are very beautiful. Just had some problem, the game doesn't recognize my GTX660M and i have to play with HD4000 but it works fine. This game is in development yet and there are lots of updates !

Multiplayer is very fun too! players are, usually, fair play and pleasant.
  31. Jan 20, 2014
    This game is just overall amazing. The Physics, graphics and controls are superior to anything i have seen in a pool game so far.

It's what you want from a pool game and more.
  32. Mar 31, 2014
    Late coming in on this one, but I thought I would give it a VERY long shot before I stuck my cue in - which sounds a little wrong, but with oar being the traditional word .....moving on.
    Pool Nation begins by being graphically impressive. It's light bloom effects and sparkly, shiny reflections from surfaces on objects inanimate or otherwise give it a highly aesthetically pleasing appeal.

That's about as good as it gets I'm afraid - but do stay with me for the duration.

The gameplay is actually pretty good to begin with. Not being a pro player either on or off screen, the little useful touches here and there are really very handy for complete beginners to the nuance of angles and which ball is going to go where dependant on where you hit the cue ball and how, along with where the target ball is likely to go in terms of direction more than final destination. That stuff is always going to be useful.
    Then there's the unlocks. To begin with, the added extras that can be unlocked (not that they are extras mind you, just stuff you want to get unlocked because it should already BE unlocked - who wants to perform ridiculous feats for a new decal for heaven's sake?) - if they'd waited to bring out the box of tricks (?) element at the same time as the game, they could have used the parts for that to be much better candidates for unlocking - thereby making the gameplay in general a lot more rewarding.
    The music is pleasant enough *to begin with*. I liked this music because it gave the sense of being unhurried, chill out and shoot some pool at your own pace, all's good.

Then by the time we get to having matches with the likes of Foo Foo - more of a name for a poodle than a person by all accounts - the music turns into something of a headache inducing clubfest for the drum and bass/dance party mad. That kind of knackered it for me to be honest.

Never mind that though, what about the unlocks for the game?
    Well...that's easy enough too, to begin with. Again, all headaches seem to start off with Foo Foo on this one for me (oh, btw, that's in the 9 ball pool, not the 8 ball - YET).

It starts off with simple games that aren't going to give you bouts of complete and utter frustration, like if you don't pot a ball (with all balls on the table to begin with), you lose a life. That's fair enough - because to begin with, there's plenty to choose from!

Then there's potting three balls in as few shots as possible. Again, fair enough.

Then there's endurance, which not only is a game played to unlock things in the tournament, but also as a playable game on it's own from the main menu. This is actually a good touch, as it allows for practice, and gives you the chance to improve on your shots and the time you take making those shots. Although that's not the pool I'm used to playing - I doubt 99% of the population are either.
    Anyway, that's fair enough too.

THEN - and this is where the real uber-cow comes along - old poodleface with her "I can pot everything in one visit to the table" - there's this godawful "pot the ball in the designated pocket". It's not a pocket you can designate either. This is entirely out of traditional practice. Usually when a player plays pool, it's the player taking the shot that designates the pocket they're going to sink a ball in.

On initial inspection - and because I lack a gamepad because xbox does not rule my gaming world and never will (I have enough problems with their OS not to bother with their gaming platform) - I thought I'd see if there were any keys set to be able to designate said pockets before I sink this ONE ball.
    And it's frustrating. Not least because there's NOT ONE single key to designate a pocket, but because when you DO pot the ball in a pocket, you'll find the game decides to tell you to sink the next ball (placed back on the spot from whence it initially began) which is a the most impossible or absurd angle to get the ball in from with the cue ball. That particular part of the game I most dislike - which is why I took a sizeable chunk off my initial score for this game.
    Couple that with the annoying view that blocks your ability to see from one end of the table to the other in 1st person format (as opposed to birds eye view - which is static so it seems) without the bloody lights getting in the way, and you have a game that is most likely going to give you more of a headache than a cure for stress.

This one is primarily for pool lovers, the Americans should play 8 ball, the Brits should play 9 ball for a change if they don't already (generalizations I know - but as a Brit I prefer 9 ball because it's much quicker than 8 ball if you don't like having to mess about with spots and stripes).

It falls short of perfect by a few glaringly awful design flaws, and some pretty dire music after the first round or two, but failing the middle of the road score I've given it I would still recommend getting it, even if it does give you the occasional hair-pulling bout of frustration.
  33. Mar 2, 2014
    I have played some pool games on mobile devices and on pc as well. Of course their graphics are not as well done as Pool Nation is, but also Pool Nation has better AIs and it even has so great algorithms on calculating your skill shots and such and such... This is the best pool game I ever played.
  34. Apr 3, 2014
    The few lower scores are complaining about things which have long since been ironed out. Read the most recent ones, as this is a game being actively improved/developed. In any case, pool isn't a game about hardcore challenges but one about thoughtful tactics. If you play it like an arcade game, you probably won't like it (also, you're a moron). If you don't enjoy pool IRL, again you're not going to enjoy it (why the hell would you buy a pool game if you don't like pool? that would be like purchasing an evening with a pre-op transsexual hooker when you're straight). Here nor there.

Pool Nation makes pool fun; it's got trophies, unlockables, Steam achievements (although not enough in my opinion), and the new Box of Tricks mode is a great way to add social interaction while altering the game's fundamentals. You can play for five minutes or five hours. I do suggest muting the music and blasting your own instead (obvious candidates being Neikka RPM, Collide, or the looped screams of a cat being burned), but otherwise the sound effects are.......well, it's pool. What did you expect, like lasers and jet engines? Please. Everything in Pool Nation is polished, and while there are a few bugs here and there, I can't stress enough that the developers are ACTIVELY developing. They are very approachable and polite, and take pointers seriously. They're active on the Steam forums or available for a chat about the game. They embody the indie spirit: focused on entertainment without the expense of quality, and they're fun. This isn't an EA DLC farm, this is a spirited group of talented artists.

So again, if you don't enjoy pool or you're expecting like zombie strippers running around with bush trimmers and flamethrowers while killstreak and XP notices flash all over the place, buy something else. And while you're at it, you might consider developing taste or slamming your face into a belt sander. But if you're looking for a relaxing and challenging game of pool which is approachable for pretty much everyone, this is a game you can comfortably buy and play at your own speed.

inb4 "this is ur 1nd revyew u mst b a bawt." No, but I did sign up specifically to put in a good word about this game. I bought it and it wasn't provided gratis (okay a high friend bought it for me, but that's irrelevant), nor am I being sponsored or paid. Unless you're taking into account the whiskey and heroin sitting over there, in which case, well...........oops.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Dec 20, 2013
    Pool Nation is a beautiful game that plays great and has a long shelf life.