Portal 2 PC

8.8

1. Apr 19, 2011
    This game didn't really live up to the amount of hype created. It seems like a quick buck for valve to found episode 3. The gameplay has been improved from the original and the graphics+sound are superior even though it's on the source engine as well. I found the early puzzles to be amusing but hardly challenging, yet as the game progresses the difficulty is increased largely after theThis game didn't really live up to the amount of hype created. It seems like a quick buck for valve to found episode 3. The gameplay has been improved from the original and the graphics+sound are superior even though it's on the source engine as well. I found the early puzzles to be amusing but hardly challenging, yet as the game progresses the difficulty is increased largely after the 13th area. Overall it was a worthwhile game but did not live up to the massive amount of hype it created. Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Don't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and IDon't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and I never had to think about it more than some minutes. And 6 hours of fun for that price is definitively not enough. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    I feel somewhat let down. I mean its not bad but it is not as good as the original. The humor was well written and the characters well played but it kind of lacked the forwardness the first one had, the only thing that kept me going was to find out the ending and to find the hidden experiment which was mentioned in an achievement. The propulsion repulsion and convulsion gels seemed a bitI feel somewhat let down. I mean its not bad but it is not as good as the original. The humor was well written and the characters well played but it kind of lacked the forwardness the first one had, the only thing that kept me going was to find out the ending and to find the hidden experiment which was mentioned in an achievement. The propulsion repulsion and convulsion gels seemed a bit too far in the sense of the game.
    Last of all was the co-op, i didn't play that ( and i might not at all) wasn't really needed and the Mann Co type store with it shows valve is just wanting to eat money.

I wouldn't really recommend this to a casual gamer, but only to someone who is a big valve or portal fan,
    and even then they might still be a bit disappointed.
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 1 was brilliant. Short but sweet. Packed with interesting ways of using the portal gun.

Portal 2, by comparison, is grand but bland. When i say grand, I do mean comparitively. Most will have the single player campaign finished in 4-7 hours depending on how good you are at these games. The coop will add around 2-3 hours to that. While I didn't find that an issue paticularly, what i did find was the really bland gameplay, despite the features. All you end up doing through most of the game is looking for the next obscure spot that you can put up the portal. You don't have to think really when doing the puzzles, more just poke around a lot. That said, there were a couple of moments where you turn around and think, "That was awesome," but it's back to the mundane from there.

I could go on, but simply put, this game is gripping in the way that someone grabs you, pins you to a wall... and just holds you there for a few hours. Not worth the price tag unless our a dedicated portal fan.
  5. Dec 15, 2014
    Even though this is a very good game, it does not make much sense to figure in the top ten ever best pc games. It's entertaining and the scenarios are interesting to walk around and figure out the puzzles. But story is not so compelling and action is limited. Definitely one of the best PUZZLE games I've played.
  6. Sep 15, 2014
    An enjoyable game, especially in the first half. I did feel it dragged on a bit though. Later in the game it got a little bit repetitive and boring climbing through random sites and ladders. But the majority of the rooms and puzzles are clever and rewarding. I liked the progressive difficulty and array of the puzzles too.
  7. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good game. I don't care about DLC, so I won't mention it after here. It makes no difference to me, anyway. The 'story' is funny (it's not a proper story, but more of a story stub:- not that that necessarily detracts from the game!); and the new additions to the puzzle mechanics are clever, and well thought out. However, it's too easy. And therefore, too short. I get thePortal 2 is a good game. I don't care about DLC, so I won't mention it after here. It makes no difference to me, anyway. The 'story' is funny (it's not a proper story, but more of a story stub:- not that that necessarily detracts from the game!); and the new additions to the puzzle mechanics are clever, and well thought out. However, it's too easy. And therefore, too short. I get the impression that Valve may have dumbed the game down to appeal to a wider audience. This isn't vain bluster; I am sure that I lie in the average completion time for the game. But at 5 to 6 hours, that's not enough for a game of this price. Granted, the co-op adds another 3 or 4, but for a game that has, by its nature, no replay value, that is not enough to justify the price tag.

Portal 1 was great because it was cheap, unique, and brilliantly challenging. Of course the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rings true here, but I personally feel that Valve could've employed a little extra time in padding out the game's length, because I didn't want to finish this within 48 hours of installing it.

I also feel that the critic score here is too high, for the same reason. The score of 96 puts this game 2% higher than Mass Effect 2; and that (in my opinion) is just not right.
  8. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game but way to easy. Obviously has been dumbed down for the console controllers. Got to the end and it seemed like it should have been the mid point where the puzzles got actually challenging but not to be.
  9. Apr 21, 2011
    Another great game by valve, highly polished and the graphics are good. Singleplayer is around 6 hours long if you get the hang of it, co-op is around 3-4 hours. What I find dissapointing is the lack of a deeper concept behind portal 2; Nnither the co-op nor sngleplayer offer much replay value. As the old formula in portal 1 of solving tests and "escaping" etc. was established i expectedAnother great game by valve, highly polished and the graphics are good. Singleplayer is around 6 hours long if you get the hang of it, co-op is around 3-4 hours. What I find dissapointing is the lack of a deeper concept behind portal 2; Nnither the co-op nor sngleplayer offer much replay value. As the old formula in portal 1 of solving tests and "escaping" etc. was established i expected some development into making portal into more than a puzzle game with a story like its predecessor. Sadly this was not so, though a brilliant concept and game its structure is such that once you have played through it there is not much to bring you back to play it more than a few times. Lastly portal 2 weighs in at a hefty £30 ($45) on PC more than the cost of the orange box which included 5 amazingly developed games. Portal 2 plays though like a well developed game and you'd be hard pressed to not have fun. But AAA titles at this price have an expectation to deliver a long well developed game thats fun to play. Portal 2 is fun and well developed but its a bit much to ask for £30 for a game with such little replay value. The original portal came with 4 other games and many titles such as Mass effect, Crysis 2, Fallout 3 at this price range have Mutliplayer or multiple ways of playing through the game to greatly boost their playtime beyond the 20 hour mark.

I enjoyed portal 2, but i completed the singleplayer and the co-op in a day, (10 hours). Today i just went through the game again and did all but one of the SP achievements, but i feel a bit let down as i'm already getting bored as I've run out of interest having cleared all the content before. IMO portal 2 feels like it was rushed out of development to meet the console demand for it. Closing comments: A good game with fun gameplay, not a lot of content and no replay value, for its price tag i expected more but it's still a great game.
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is simply awesome. the graphics are great, the voice-acting is good, the story is good although i saw the plot-twists coming from miles away. the length of the game was initially a tiny bit disappointing, but if i think about it: Portal 2 relies purely on the portal-gun and i suppose that after ~8 hours that can get repetitive for most average players. the only real weak spot inPortal 2 is simply awesome. the graphics are great, the voice-acting is good, the story is good although i saw the plot-twists coming from miles away. the length of the game was initially a tiny bit disappointing, but if i think about it: Portal 2 relies purely on the portal-gun and i suppose that after ~8 hours that can get repetitive for most average players. the only real weak spot in portal 2 is the Co-Op mode. apparently valve believes that everybody has a friend who has portal 2 as well which isn't the case for most players. this leads to an unequal gameplay for most when being partnered with random people (if one has done the test already and knows the solution then the other player can't discover the solution on his/her own and gets it explained to.which takes the fun out of it). i had the luck to be teamed up with one who has just started to play too, but there are other who won't be that lucky.
    that aside. Portal 2 is a great game and was definitely worth my time and money and i look forward to play trough it again in a month when i forgot most of the rooms. i don't understand why people are so furious at the game. its been quite a while since valve brought out any (large) single-player games and i do think they have done quite a good job. the only thing i do hate about portal 2 is the attempt to make money on in-game apparel for a Co-op mode that can be finished in a few hours during which only your partner sees you. i find that plain ridiculous
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    This is my best game ever. I'm a fan of Portal and this new Opus is clearly extremly great.

Good job writing, excellent level design, clever gameplay, good narrative rhythm, and the new character Weatley is extremely well located and efficiently. Only downside : the splashscreen during loading times and loading times too often. But with the quality behind it, we can only forgive him. A

But with the quality behind it, we can only forgive him.

A fine lesson in video games, Makes 99% of production videogame bland in comparison.
  12. Jul 16, 2011
    Definitely not worth the $50 that Valve's been selling it for. Glad I got it during its half-off sale. For the amount of gameplay you get (8 hours for me) and the overall quality of the game, $30 is a more reasonable price. But that's if they didn't then shake you down for co-op robot customization DLC. As others have pointed out, the polish of this game is phenomenal; the models,Definitely not worth the $50 that Valve's been selling it for. Glad I got it during its half-off sale. For the amount of gameplay you get (8 hours for me) and the overall quality of the game, $30 is a more reasonable price. But that's if they didn't then shake you down for co-op robot customization DLC. As others have pointed out, the polish of this game is phenomenal; the models, textures, environments, and animations are all top-notch work and quite believable. The puzzles are generally very good and I liked all the new mechanics that were added. I wish there were a few more puzzles with the gels plus some of the more traditional mechanics, though. The part that bums me out the most about Portal 2 is the story. It's very convoluted and gets rather stale towards the end. Unlike the first Portal, the story breaks into what I think is the main draw of the game, the puzzles, too much. Expand
  13. Apr 25, 2011
    Brazilian Portuguese / Português Brasileiro: No inicio, o jogo é bastante apresentado, gráficos bons , trilha sonora ótima e gameplay consideravelmente bom. O grande problema desse titulo é a história que além de confusa tem uma pessima ligação com a históriaBrazilian Portuguese / Português Brasileiro: No inicio, o jogo é bastante apresentado, gráficos bons , trilha sonora ótima e gameplay consideravelmente bom. O grande problema desse titulo é a história que além de confusa tem uma pessima ligação com a história do portal 1. Além da grande espectativa criada pela valve com diversos videos altamente ufanicos. Outro problema encontrado é a falta dos "Pneumatic Diversity Ven" e que durante o jogo, gasta-se bastante tempo ensinando a usar os recursos e praticamente nada em realmente coloca-los em pratica em testes bem elaborados. Expand
  14. May 2, 2011
    Very fun, very funny, very short. Not worth the price of admission. Portal 2 should be priced at $30-$35, tops. It's a terrible value in gaming with very little replayability. And waiting for DLC to trickle in isn't worth paying $50-$60. If you don't mind the price, go for it. But don't complain if you feel ripped off despite the fun experience.
  15. May 14, 2013
    Portal 2 suffers from too much of a good thing syndrome. Yes this game is fun and yes the game mechanics are sound, but after the first portal game this one has a tough act to follow. It does everything right and very little wrong, but after awhile it does indeed become too much of a good thing and even though its not a bad thing. I found my self getting over exposed to the game whilePortal 2 suffers from too much of a good thing syndrome. Yes this game is fun and yes the game mechanics are sound, but after the first portal game this one has a tough act to follow. It does everything right and very little wrong, but after awhile it does indeed become too much of a good thing and even though its not a bad thing. I found my self getting over exposed to the game while actually playing the game. Portal 2 doesn't really do anything wrong, but how much chocolate can you eat over and over again? Expand
  16. Jun 2, 2011
    Valve did a good job story telling, but not a satisfying job entertaining and challenging the previous Portal players. I understand that people wanted to learn more about GlaDOs, but I feel the extra back-story about her was unnecessary. Once you finish the single and co-op campaigns, there's not much else you can do. Sure, you could replay the campaigns, but what happened to the extraValve did a good job story telling, but not a satisfying job entertaining and challenging the previous Portal players. I understand that people wanted to learn more about GlaDOs, but I feel the extra back-story about her was unnecessary. Once you finish the single and co-op campaigns, there's not much else you can do. Sure, you could replay the campaigns, but what happened to the extra bonus levels and challenges we saw in the first Portal game? Overall, I had a fun time progressing through the game, but at the end, I was disappointed. Expand
  17. May 6, 2011
    Not a bad game, but not a revolutionary step forward. It takes the same gameplay as the first Portal, expands it a little bit, and stretches the game time out a little. Even with co-op, I think the content is a little weak for the $60 price tag. The puzzles seem less aggravating as the first game - I never once had to read a walk-through online. But, now that it's beaten, I really don'tNot a bad game, but not a revolutionary step forward. It takes the same gameplay as the first Portal, expands it a little bit, and stretches the game time out a little. Even with co-op, I think the content is a little weak for the $60 price tag. The puzzles seem less aggravating as the first game - I never once had to read a walk-through online. But, now that it's beaten, I really don't have any inclination to pick it up and play again. Expand
  18. May 12, 2012
    I have very mixed feelings about this game: I had fun playing the single player, even if flawed, and the co-op is without a doubt a great addition. But still, this is definitely the MOST overrated game of the 2011. First of all, the single player has a good plot that, unlike the predecessor, has a very good pace, it always keeps up the curiosity and has good twists now and then. However,I have very mixed feelings about this game: I had fun playing the single player, even if flawed, and the co-op is without a doubt a great addition. But still, this is definitely the MOST overrated game of the 2011. First of all, the single player has a good plot that, unlike the predecessor, has a very good pace, it always keeps up the curiosity and has good twists now and then. However, the puzzles in the single player are just "good", mainly because MANY resembles previous puzzles just in another format, and the new ideas (like the gels, the energy tunnels, the lightways, etc) are not used at their maximum, and in the end some of the puzzles just look similar to each others. I also heard complaints about the longevity, and I'm not totally sure: it lasted about 7 hours to me, without rushing or being too slow, but since nowadays "adventure games" (or fps, or whatever works for you) don't even last over 4 hours, I say it's "good". About the co-op, I initially had doubts, but when I played I finally witnessed how good it was: the puzzles there are very good thought and actually incite team work AND team thinking...wish they were the same in the single player. These maps infact are good, a LOT, so much that I wanted them so badly in the single player: they were challenging and I had fun to do them, because they were good, and I DARE you to do it with perfect strangers: yes, it is usually better with friends, I know, but If you can't find any friends to play with, these puzzles will make be extremely hard to complete, because I tried over 6 times, with random players, and none of them lasted until the end of ONE single section, leaving me behind and almost quitting this mode ( I have to thank a friend to help me out there, or else I wouldn't be able to judge this mode). It was a mass disappointment to discover that the co-op has good maps, and not the single player. And now, if you hadn't notice, I mainly said "good" from the start, and it is because this game is just good: it's not perfect because this game adds barely much: the co-op is a good addition yes but still this game felt more like an expansion (a costy one) with very few tweaks to the gameplay, and even if the plot is good and the co-op is very fun, I don't feel it is worth the full price (even though it's cheap as hell nowadays). I'm not saying it's a bad game anyway and actually I say to give it a try, especially the first Portal, if you like puzzle games, but it's definitely NOT the best game of the year 2011. Expand
  19. May 1, 2011
    Portal 2 is fun and engaging, but certainly not game of the year caliber. Once more you are thrust into the brain bending realm of Portal where you, a single weapon and your wits are all that you have to survive. Unlike the first game which was a pursuit of the ever elusive cake, this game actually makes an attempt to create a more fleshed out plot with its own back story, which isPortal 2 is fun and engaging, but certainly not game of the year caliber. Once more you are thrust into the brain bending realm of Portal where you, a single weapon and your wits are all that you have to survive. Unlike the first game which was a pursuit of the ever elusive cake, this game actually makes an attempt to create a more fleshed out plot with its own back story, which is cleverly threaded into the actual gameplay. Of course, after a few chambers of the back story levels, I found myself pining for something different. Gel's were a nice new twist, but they really broke the Portal vibe for me, and a few of the puzzles felt less like discovering how to get to the end and more like how to paint every surface until you find success. The voice acting was exceptionally well performed, and the sounds and musical queues that pop up when you're in the process of properly completing a puzzle was nice. The HL2 engine gets a nice face lift from this installment and looks pretty good, considering how old the engine is. My pair of GF275's were able to handle everything maxed out, which was quite refreshing. Expect between six to nine hours for the first play through, depending on how smart you really are. Aside from the back story test chambers which became stale all too quickly, everything seems like peaches and cream until you come the bugs that (still) plague the game. Playing it on a console would probably circumvent 99% of these problems and provide for a smooth and clean experience, but if you're like me and prefer the precision of a mouse and keyboard to a pair of clunky joysticks, be prepared for some bugs. Reports have been made regarding glitches in sequences not triggering properly, bosses failing to properly launch their payloads and overall glitches, crashes and system freezes. I, myself, had the luxurious experience of not having any of the slender push buttons load, so when I get to the second test chamber with the glass and the three buttons, I was rewarded with three sets of flashing ERROR signs. Since the entire complex is in a state of disrepair, I had no idea that this was not supposed to happen (as the glitch looked like it could have feasibly been there). After an hour of slamming my face on the keyboard, I broke down and went to youtube to see what I was supposed to do and learned the error signs were, in fact, not supposed to be part of the experience. No amount of verifying game files, deleting local content and reinstalling seemed to fix this particular bug. After several days, the problem was corrected (though what I did exactly, I have no idea) and I was able to continue playing, albeit with a sour note. Still, bugs aside, the core of the game itself is remarkably solid and the puzzles will give your brain some exercise. Too bad about the glitches, or the stale test chambers midway through the journey. Lastly, at $60 Portal 2 seems a bit overpriced. I would personally wait for it to come down to around $50 before thinking about making a purchase. Overall, Portal 2 was a fun and engaging game, once all the bugs were finally sorted out. Expand
  20. Apr 29, 2011
    It's not a heavenly portal but it most certainly manages to entertain. The story incorporates many darkly humorous elements to support a gameplay that is thoroughly thought invoking. All throughout the obstacles change enough to keep you occupied but not so much as to make you feel lost. The threads spin together and as the game progresses it gets more interesting growing with itsIt's not a heavenly portal but it most certainly manages to entertain. The story incorporates many darkly humorous elements to support a gameplay that is thoroughly thought invoking. All throughout the obstacles change enough to keep you occupied but not so much as to make you feel lost. The threads spin together and as the game progresses it gets more interesting growing with its mechanics and the telling. Towards the finale there is a lot to see and the ending sequences are terrifically fun. If physical puzzles and science humor are your cup of tea then so ought this. Expand
  21. Apr 30, 2011
    First, the positive: The first fourth of the game is brilliant, the second fourth is good, and after the trainwreck that is the next two fourths, they manage to recover with an ending that surpasses the original. The writing team was on their game for the introduction scenes and the dialog is witty and well-written, however, many of the gags are repeats or based on the same patternsFirst, the positive: The first fourth of the game is brilliant, the second fourth is good, and after the trainwreck that is the next two fourths, they manage to recover with an ending that surpasses the original. The writing team was on their game for the introduction scenes and the dialog is witty and well-written, however, many of the gags are repeats or based on the same patterns already established in the original. The gameplay is fun as it introduces the different concepts after GLaDOS's re-awakening.

However, after it finishes introducing the concepts the negatives begin.

The negatives: First, the game was designed primarily with consoles in mind, likely for marketing reasons (you can charge console gamers more and they are more likely to pay it). Unfortunately, this shows in the actual design of the game-- there are no puzzles which require finesse to perform-- i.e. chaining portals while in air to get to a destination. In fact, very few can actually be considered actual puzzles. Often the only difficulty involved in solving these is looking for an obscure section of wall that you can hit with the portal gun. So rather than an intellectual exercise, it's more of an observational one. I am positive that the marketing team, during playtests, had idiots come in and get frustrated when they actually made a challenging puzzle, and so they kept dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator crowd until the element of challenge was nearly all gone.

The gels could have been fun. They weren't. They were poorly introduced and then sort of slopped about levels rather than intelligently integrated into the game. It was a fun concept that panned out poorly in practice.

Then we have the horrible parts of the writing-- basically, whenever the authors attempt to step outside of the bounds of the original and try to make GLaDOS a sympathetic character or "deepen" GLaDOS. It backfires horribly and undermines her core character rather than reinforcing it. The ending manages to salvage this a little, but it still was a very disappointing failure on the part of the writing staff. The obviously predictable "twist: was the worst part of the game. And the hammering in of certain lines "HE WAS PROGRAMMED TO BE AN IDIOT." "DID I TELL YOU HE WAS PROGRAMMED TO BE A MORON." "HE IS A MORON, DO YOU GET IT". Was absolutely painful. It betrays the most important maxim of writing "Show. Don't tell." The entire writing staff should understand that they failed to create a compelling story here. They could have salvaged this easily if they had just considered this: There is something more dangerous than a genius trying to kill you. It is an idiot trying to save you, particularly when the idiot has access to lasers, spikes, buttons, and an entire gadget factory.

The ending, as mentioned, makes up for some of the failings of the game and manages to give us a pleasant send off. However, it's not worth anything more than $30 and they would have made a better game if less Marketing people were involved. The original Portal was good because it was actually brave-- if you couldn't figure out a puzzle the game wasn't going to dumb it down. It actually respected the player's intelligence. This one didn't. At all.

All in all I give the game a 7.6. The original Portal was original. Rather than stand on the shoulder of giants and make something incredible, this game simply puts a hat on something that was already good.
  22. Aug 5, 2013
    A vast improvement upon the original, but still insanely over-hyped, fun for a while, but can't see myself playing through multiple times. A solid puzzle game.
  23. Nov 15, 2011
    if you liked portal 1 and want more of the same with a little bit more this is it fun and funny game all round A1 game . Only issue i have is the loading screens almost every puzzle..
    its just long enuff to be fun performance is well its a valve game so 200fps and it looks good very clean
  24. Nov 13, 2012
    The graphics are acceptable,the History Line is amusing. The game play is a puzzle, but it don't have re playability, the game play in some point is boring, they could put more action.
  25. Mar 17, 2013
    It was 2009 when I first played Portal, it instantly became one of my favourite games, I praise on it's deep, dark, sorrowful storyline and ambiance. After I bought Portal 2, I was met broken expectation and new experiences, it's no deep, mysterious like Portal anymore but instead a quite cheerful and sharp game, I was not so impressed of it's new tone of ambiance and music, and it's openIt was 2009 when I first played Portal, it instantly became one of my favourite games, I praise on it's deep, dark, sorrowful storyline and ambiance. After I bought Portal 2, I was met broken expectation and new experiences, it's no deep, mysterious like Portal anymore but instead a quite cheerful and sharp game, I was not so impressed of it's new tone of ambiance and music, and it's open and clear storyline, but to the fact that it's an experience every gamer should come across off, I would say the original Portal would have entertained me more. Expand
  26. Apr 23, 2011
    Gameplay is great but story and visuals really are disappointing. After finishing the game you most likely never play single player again co-op is fun but short. good game for a weekend but not worth 40£ (60$) if you are short of money
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is a great game that i enjoyed all the way through. I thought the length was decent, all though i would have liked it too have been longer simply because i enjoyed it so much. The story line was good as well. My main problem with the game is that there isn't any replay value. There are no extra test rooms for finishing the game. there are no levels of hardness for the test rooms. Once you have finished, that is it. As good as the game was the lack of replay value is disappointing and i would have given it a larger score if their had been some extra game play choices (and not just DLC). Expand
  28. May 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Instead of explaining why it's a 7, I'll explain why it's not a 10: 1) This was not a very puzzley puzzle game. It was very apparent most of the game how the player was supposed to complete the puzzle. In other words, it was very simple. Not a lot of thinking behind it, which would be fine if it wasn't meant to be that kind of game. So, in that aspect it failed. 2) The humor was clever (barely) at first, it soon got repetitive because all it was the whole time was sarcasm from the robots and Cave Johnson getting to the point, for lack of better words. It got old really fast. Cave Johnson did have a great voice actor though. 3) A combination of non re-playability and short campaign losses its 3rd point. Most of the story line was getting multiple test chambers further to get another tidbit of story. Now to the pros! :D Gels were a good addition, laser refraction was a good addition. The storyline, when there was one, was well done and original. Voice acting was great. Valve once again, had amazing art. Their textures are always amazing. It is a fun game while playing it the first time through, and considering it is a sequel, this game doesn't get any innovation points because anything innovative was done in the 1st game. Last thing and not about Portal 2 specifically: I love it when game companies make references to other games that they have made. In Portal/Portal 2 it was referring to Black Mesa being an inferior science conglomerate. It's always enjoyable for fans to have that deeper connection. Expand
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    Coming from a person who has a unbiased perception of Portal, I though Portal 1 didn't deserve all the praise since it was relatively easy. Don't worry though, Portal 2 is better than 1. Except it only had about 2 hard stages in Singleplayer, and another 2 hard stages in co-op. The rest of the game is purely simple. I may even call it "casual". And despite what some 10 ratings will haveComing from a person who has a unbiased perception of Portal, I though Portal 1 didn't deserve all the praise since it was relatively easy. Don't worry though, Portal 2 is better than 1. Except it only had about 2 hard stages in Singleplayer, and another 2 hard stages in co-op. The rest of the game is purely simple. I may even call it "casual". And despite what some 10 ratings will have you believe, I thought it was still short since it doesn't really have re-playability. Enough of that, the writing in Portal 2 is masterful. One of the games with the best writing in it. It was hilarious clever and Cave Johnson is THE man! If there was a writing award for gaming, which I think there is, Portal 2 will win hands down, no contest. Expand
  30. Apr 22, 2011
    I had a lot of fun playing the tutorials in this game. The little flying robot cracks me up with its British accent. The level design is brilliant and I am sure everyone can have some fun at some point.
    Although this is a FPS, it's more of a puzzle game. Once you get that concept, you won't complain that you are not obliterating lively things. * Does not worth the full retail price to me thou, this game has no replay value at all and it's short. Once you beat it, you wouldn't want to play again because you already knew all the solutions *
  31. Apr 25, 2011
    I haven't played Portal 1 and I have only played the single player mode of Portal 2, let's get that out of the way. Overall, the gameplay was enjoyable. The puzzles were predominantly easy to navigate, however there were a few that I found quite challenging. For those, I had to stop playing for the day, so I could return with a fresh mind. I would say all puzzles were perfectly crafted,I haven't played Portal 1 and I have only played the single player mode of Portal 2, let's get that out of the way. Overall, the gameplay was enjoyable. The puzzles were predominantly easy to navigate, however there were a few that I found quite challenging. For those, I had to stop playing for the day, so I could return with a fresh mind. I would say all puzzles were perfectly crafted, nonethless. It took me 6 hours to complete the game. The pace of the game and the actual premise of the story itself were good. I enjoyed exlopring the world of Aperture. The graphics and level design were immersive, and Valve is to be commended for that. The story took a while to engage me. The characters had strong voice acting performances, but I did not find them anywhere near as funny as most other reviews seem to suggest. The humour was forced, and certainly not on my wavelength. In the last hour I kept hoping that the doors marked 'exit' would let me leave, and alleviate me of my boredom. Overall, it was a positive experience, and in hindsight, I would probably have made the US$49 purchase again. I do not believe this game deserves a 9 or 10 as others have done. As a single player compaign, it was far less engaging to me than the campaigns of Starcraft II or GTA IV, which I would consider solid 9s, or even Black Ops, which I would consider a good 8. Verdict: 7/10, about as fun as Plants vs Zombies. Expand
  32. May 21, 2011
    This game have a great solo campaign, but on time only, once finish they'is no interest to replay it (exept if you like achievement) same thing for the coop. (average time 7h for solo and 5-6h for coop
    The game is funny especially in coop.
    The game is funny especially in coop.
    Good point valve will create some content in dlc for free, a good point for the only negative part of the game. (but same problem, dlc will be play one time only)
  33. Jul 18, 2013
    Portal 2. How do I put this? Portal 2 is an improvement over Portal 1 in every way imaginable. But that isn't saying much. If you've played the original you know what to expect. Running through 20ish test chambers. Go through the facility like in the last test chamber, but it's way bigger this time. Rinse and repeat. And if you didn't play the original here's a one word summary: boring.Portal 2. How do I put this? Portal 2 is an improvement over Portal 1 in every way imaginable. But that isn't saying much. If you've played the original you know what to expect. Running through 20ish test chambers. Go through the facility like in the last test chamber, but it's way bigger this time. Rinse and repeat. And if you didn't play the original here's a one word summary: boring.

Portal 2 side steps most of the pitfalls of the original though. There are more tools, a fact made painfully obvious when I tried to design a map with only stuff from Portal 1. There's actually a story this time. And there are some puzzles that will actually stump you.

And the map editor is pretty cool, even though playing your own puzzles is never fun. And I have to force close the game when quitting, weird.
  34. Jul 29, 2013
    It's basically Portal 1, but dumbed down and with no-so-good humor and a general hollywood-style feeling. Yes, the levels are now more detailed, there is much more stuff lying around and there is a dumb assistant, but overall I got a feeling that they just wanted to make the game more accessible and appealing to idiots. Unfortunately, this also made the game less appealing to guys likeIt's basically Portal 1, but dumbed down and with no-so-good humor and a general hollywood-style feeling. Yes, the levels are now more detailed, there is much more stuff lying around and there is a dumb assistant, but overall I got a feeling that they just wanted to make the game more accessible and appealing to idiots. Unfortunately, this also made the game less appealing to guys like myself. Portal 1's setting was cool, why do you need to add this mass-culture wrapping to it? Expand
  35. Jul 30, 2014
    From my point of view this is an extremely overrated title and especially after experiencing the amazing little gem that was first Portal, P2 is quite a disappointment for me. My guess is that all the praise is coming mostly from people who didn't play the original, because this is basically 1:1 the same thing, only 4 times longer, but while the short gameplay was perfectly effective forFrom my point of view this is an extremely overrated title and especially after experiencing the amazing little gem that was first Portal, P2 is quite a disappointment for me. My guess is that all the praise is coming mostly from people who didn't play the original, because this is basically 1:1 the same thing, only 4 times longer, but while the short gameplay was perfectly effective for the first Portal, here it's getting tedious after about 10 hours. It's still good, it kept the quality humor and the addition of multiplayer is very interesting, but I feel like all the main trump cards have already been used in the first Portal. 6/10 Expand
  36. Feb 19, 2013
    I couldn't keep playing past an hour. Having played the original when it came out, I expected more out of a 50 dollar game because the first was about $10. After a few puzzles I was disappointed. Everything felt the same, and the puzzles were too easy. The great part about the first game was how different it was from other puzzle games. Portal was so magical because of the feeling I gotI couldn't keep playing past an hour. Having played the original when it came out, I expected more out of a 50 dollar game because the first was about $10. After a few puzzles I was disappointed. Everything felt the same, and the puzzles were too easy. The great part about the first game was how different it was from other puzzle games. Portal was so magical because of the feeling I got from discovering and mastering each mechanic for he first time. But I could never play Portal again, because it's just not the same. Portal 2 felt just like replaying the first game, it was just too easy. I'd give it an 7 or 8 if it had only been $20. Expand
  37. May 3, 2011
    I enjoyed this game very much BUT, the game was still to short and to obvious. At least i think that it was obvious where to shot the portals and it was never really a challenge. Otherwise the graphics was really great and multi player is ok.
  38. Sep 24, 2011
    Best things about this game are the atmospheric locations and monologues of the characters, but sadly not the puzzles itself. Its also too short, and lacks replayability factor. Its a game you will beat in few days, and never return to it.
  39. May 11, 2011
    Portal 2 suffers greatly from the console ports. Places where you would normally be able to explore are closed off by invisible walls, something that is rarely seen in the PC gaming market. More and more developers are succumbing to the console gaming market with limited releases. The level design, atmosphere, and gameplay are excellent. The loading screens look like 640x480 renderingsPortal 2 suffers greatly from the console ports. Places where you would normally be able to explore are closed off by invisible walls, something that is rarely seen in the PC gaming market. More and more developers are succumbing to the console gaming market with limited releases. The level design, atmosphere, and gameplay are excellent. The loading screens look like 640x480 renderings from 1990's PC games, a resolution that seems to be the limit for older consoles like the PS3 and the XBox360. We, as PC gamers, understand that 5 year olds can operate a joystick attached to a console, but that PC games suffer from this conversion. It seems independent gaming is the last bastion of true PC games that usually goes untouched by console degeneration. Expand
  40. May 16, 2011
    The game is well done for what it is - if you enjoyed Portal, you'll enjoy Portal 2. I have no qualms about the game quality itself.

The problem is that there is nowhere near $50 worth of content. For $50, I expect 20 hours of content MINIMUM, and that's really pushing it. Portal 2 is barely half that if you're being generous. I'd be more forgiving if this was an indie studio, but this is Valve - they'll make plenty of money on it regardless, and charging this much for comparatively little content is sleazy.
  41. Apr 23, 2011
    Good: Excellent production value. Classic Portal gameplay with new stuff.

Meh: The casting choice for Wheatly is kind of strange. He's not badly acted, but he sticks out like a sore thumb against all the other robot voices. The cost/gameplay hour is somewhere in the $4~10 range, but if that's what they need to do their job well, so be it. Bad: As a sequel it's creatively bankrupt
    Good: Excellent production value. Classic Portal gameplay with new stuff.

Bad: As a sequel it's creatively bankrupt and totally unnecessary. This is pretty much straight fan service/cash grabbing on Valve's part.
  42. Apr 26, 2011
    On the positive side, Portal 2 is well written, technically flawless and manages to deliver a superb gaming experience. On the negative side, Portal 2 is too easy and too short. When you are a Portal veteran, the game takes only 3-4 hours to finish. Portal 2 is rather expensive for its length.
  43. May 28, 2011
    Game is charming, but annoyingly easy! Portal 1 seemed more complex and required some agility, so I expected with focus and time they will produce something challenging. Nevertheless Portal 2 is worth playing.
  44. Jun 10, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good game, but just like Portal 1 it's just not great, for me that is. The puzzles are great and well made. The acting is good en well written, the graphics are fine (for a 7 year old engine) but i just get bored after playing for a while. There is no replay value whatsoever after you finished it, except for the coop mode, but I dont care about Coop. I really dont get whyPortal 2 is a good game, but just like Portal 1 it's just not great, for me that is. The puzzles are great and well made. The acting is good en well written, the graphics are fine (for a 7 year old engine) but i just get bored after playing for a while. There is no replay value whatsoever after you finished it, except for the coop mode, but I dont care about Coop. I really dont get why this game is getting these high ratings by the critics, yes it is a unique game and not some run of the mill shooter like all those other shooters out there but that doesnt make it that good. I played the game for about 7 hours and finished it, but after solving all the puzzles replaying would be stupid en boring.
    In my honest opinion valve gets to much credit, this game should not be in the top 10 on metacritic, right up there with Baldur's Gate 2, the best game ever made (and which is over 200 hours of gameplay for the same money) Sorry for my ranting but i just think this game is overrated.....dont shoot me!
  45. Apr 22, 2011
    It's one of the most mediocre games I've played. The humor was fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect, but it's not what makes the game. The puzzles were fairly dull. They through in some new gimmicks this time around, but they replaced a lot of the old ones. Puzzles involving old fashioned portal physics are minimal at best. Now, you just spread some goo around. Sure, it's a puzzleIt's one of the most mediocre games I've played. The humor was fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect, but it's not what makes the game. The puzzles were fairly dull. They through in some new gimmicks this time around, but they replaced a lot of the old ones. Puzzles involving old fashioned portal physics are minimal at best. Now, you just spread some goo around. Sure, it's a puzzle game and there were puzzles... but Portal 2 isn't a physics puzzle game. A big part of a physics based puzzle game is breaking it... You know, finding ways to complete the level or bypass content that was never intended. The game was built with so many invisible walls that it was impossible. I feel they improved upon the Portal mechanics themselves though. When you pass through a portal the transition feels much smoother (mostly referring to camera transitions). Still, my biggest complaint about Portal 2 is load times. When I die, don't waste my time at a load screen. What portal 2 truly needed was a sense of anxiety. Some sort of actual threat would have gone a long way to making things interesting... and how did they decide to release this without a map editor for the users? I'm appalled at how many people can give a game a perfect 0 or 10. The reviews doing so are rarely worth reading or even remotely helpful. A perfect score for any game is nonsense. Expand
  46. May 4, 2011
    eh...okay game. Not worth asking price though. I liked Portal, it was fresh. Popping holes in walls is like playing a complicated flash game...i.e. bloons or something. Enjoyable for the mechanic and physics of it all. Portal 2 has better graphics, but was far too easy, and the "hillarious" voice-overs the critics raved about became tiresome and annoying after a few levels. Maybe Ieh...okay game. Not worth asking price though. I liked Portal, it was fresh. Popping holes in walls is like playing a complicated flash game...i.e. bloons or something. Enjoyable for the mechanic and physics of it all. Portal 2 has better graphics, but was far too easy, and the "hillarious" voice-overs the critics raved about became tiresome and annoying after a few levels. Maybe I have seen too many Ricky Gervais shows, but the expected sarcastic voice work at the start and end of a level never raised a laugh. I WANTED to laugh, I WANTED to love this game, but, in the end, eh...okay game. One of the more overrated games in a long time. I would suggest waiting for the price to drop by at least half before purchasing. Great mechanics, but then again, I get the same sense of joy out of free flash games with good physics. Expand
  47. May 12, 2011
    Yes, they are right.. Nice graphics. Original ideas. Nice sound. Nice everything, just like how everyone are talking about it. It will make a great single player title. Yes, you've got it, a great single player title. But what about the multiplayer part, you may ask?
    Sorry, but the fact remains that the mutiplayer has 0 replay value. After I've gone through the multiplayer once with a friend, I've become somewhat a tour guide, guiding people through the multiplayer levels.
    And that's about it, there's really no point in playing the multiplayer again. Same levels, walking around doing the same stuff. Even if its with an other person, it will ge boring when the game is highly environmental based.
    Worse still, there are absolutely no storyline for the multiplayer. Its really just going through levels (and having the AI bombarding you with the same dialogue each time). Come to think of it, the single player mode has a lot more replay value than the multiplayer.

So, yea, the multiplayer is a failure because of the absence of replay value. Since the multiplayer is half of what the game is about, that will be a 0/5 for it. As for the single player, a 5/5 for valve standard, as always.
  48. Apr 23, 2011
    Downloaded Portal 2 48 hours ago. Played it through (not rushing - stopping now and then to look around) but did the lot in 3 hours 20 minutes.
    The puzzles have moved on a bit since Portal 1, and I know there are multiplayer options (I dislike multiplayer games) So for me (and I know this is my fault becasue of my aversion for multiplayer) £35 for less than three and a half hours play time is probably the worst value I've ever got out of a game. Sure it's fun. the game plays well, it's beautifully scripted, and I'm not going to give it a "h8orz" score, but over £10 per hour is worse value than Max Payne 2 was 8 years ago.
    If you think you will enjoy the multiplayer (why do I always end up with some sweary nasty little 16 year old whenever I try my hand at MP games) then this game might "just" be worth the slightly over the average price tag.
    It took me longer to complete Defense Grid than this (and that cost me £2.99 and I think I ienjoyed it more) I would have given this 8 or 9 had it cost £10 - but for £35 ($55) for a single player game most will complete well inside an afternoon, I can only give it 6
  49. Feb 29, 2012
    I must say I'm a bit surprised by how high the Portal games are generally rated. Portal 2 was more fun than the original, but it still only took me about 8 hours to play through the entire game, and that's with me exploring around a bit and not really hurrying. Despite 8 hours being very short for a game, it felt like a very long 8 hours (and not in a good way). Much like the originalI must say I'm a bit surprised by how high the Portal games are generally rated. Portal 2 was more fun than the original, but it still only took me about 8 hours to play through the entire game, and that's with me exploring around a bit and not really hurrying. Despite 8 hours being very short for a game, it felt like a very long 8 hours (and not in a good way). Much like the original Portal, things simply get very repetitive, very quickly. Despite some fun dialogue and interesting levels, for the most part, there just isn't a whole lot of depth to the Portal series. It's just a bunch of fairly simple logic puzzles, running around to complete those puzzles, and witty dialogue. That's ok for what it is, but it's not something that I fell in love with. Expand
  50. Apr 23, 2011
    imho, Portal 1 had a much better skill gameplay, and was a complete better value than Portal 2 has been. If a game is going to have HL2 era graphics, then it should be cheap. This isn't the case, and let's not even get into the cash shop bs.
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    The first Portal was indeed a great value, and well worth the $10 or so it goes for now. I was a devotee of the original game. Portal 2 is not as great a value.

The first Portal was a single player game and could be finished in an evening, 4-5 hours, overall about $2 per hour by current prices. Portal 2 barely manages to double that time for its single player portion, 9-10 hours at a whopping $50. Even with the added coop content you're looking at about $4 per hour.

I'm convinced that the game reviewers were bought on this one. No honest person could say that Portal 2's content was more remarkable than Orange Box, Half Life 2, or even the original Half Life.

I was really surprised it ended so quickly. I do feel cheated. The game is well done. It has charm. The developers should be commended. But the team should be ashamed for shipping half a game.

I don't regret buying the game. However, Valve has taken a direct hit in my mind regarding brand loyalty. Especially since the game oozes of marketing influence.

All quantifiable dissatisfaction aside, the story was actually pretty inferior to the previous game. Portal had a clear vision, elegant progression, and very memorable characters. Portal 2's story was much less elegant, putting me in a strange mood where I feel forced to carry out orders from characters I don't trust and not at all surprised when the tables turn on me. There is no clear plot flow in this game, and various stories are introduced and discarded. The new characters are cute, but much less memorable. I would have gladly traded 50% of the cinematic theatrics, animations, and dialogue for more actual gameplay. The gameplay which is included is markedly better. The new fluid mechanics are very well done and intuitive to manipulate. The new and old elements work well together too, and the puzzles are good head scratching fun. The boss fight was on par with the first game but forgettable.

I give it a 5 simply because the my expectations for single player game time were woefully unfulfilled. Portal 2 is a $25 game.
  52. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is just perfect. One of the best games I've played in my life. Humour, Action, and hard stuff, everything you expect from the sequel of one of the most original platform games of this decade. Don't need to wait for a demo or anything, this game is so awesome. It's a buy!
  53. Jul 3, 2011
    Anyone disappointed with this game is just dead and hallow inside, there is so much character and entertainment in this game it is hard to not love it. The ending is one of the most satisfying things (next to portal 1) that I've seen in recent years and figuring out the multitude of puzzles in this game is incredibly rewarding.
  54. Jun 21, 2011
    Shallow game play. Uninteresting plot. Sure it's got portals, and a slew of new physics features in it, but you never quite seem them all come together. You go through several chambers exploring a new and interesting technology only to never see them again for the rest of the game.

The puzzles are simple and short in comparison to the first game. Well done, but certainly not the innovative game that was expected.
  55. Aug 20, 2011
    Quite a bit of fun especially in co-op mode, it is a very amusing game with a whimsical performance from Steven Merchant but for a puzzle solving game it wasn't very challenging, which was a little disappointing.
  56. Sep 3, 2011
    Great game but again a bit too short. Although the level design and all was very different from the first, it still had the same feel for it. Overall I'd say it's still a great game, but disapointing. The story was good, but again too short and I'm not a very achievement person, therefore I dislike replaying a game only for the achievements. It took me just under 12 hours to beatGreat game but again a bit too short. Although the level design and all was very different from the first, it still had the same feel for it. Overall I'd say it's still a great game, but disapointing. The story was good, but again too short and I'm not a very achievement person, therefore I dislike replaying a game only for the achievements. It took me just under 12 hours to beat everything twice (singleplayer and coop). Expand
  57. Apr 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 1 was one of my favorite games of all time. Absolutely loved it, but Valve simply can't do glaDos right. In their hands, the game becomes a trite presentation of what was a truly unique world... at least for the first 4 - 5 chapters. Around chapter 5 when you reach the levels designed by the guys who made TAG: the power of paint, the game becomes good again, and the story line in this part is exhilarating and hilarious. I won't spoil the narrator of these gel based missions, but Valve did manage to nail him, his audio dairy raised in various PSAs is just great. Yet, I still feel like the game was flawed, we learn to love glaDos so much, and the other characters are just adorable, but the game still has plot points that fail, such as Wheatley's role as an intelligence inhibitor seems far to convenient. Additionally, they don't build him up as what he is, in actuality a rather clever manipulator, fast enough. The game also jumps out of what are good puzzle based levels and instead puts us on rails so the characters can walk through what are basically cinema scenes. Portal is such a lovely world, and Portal 2 did nearly make me cry, but the game's vast loveliness, loneliness, and the way it makes us want to be there is truly compelling, Portal 2 starts out a fluke and works up into what is a rather good game, I just wish Valve had spent the time making the first levels better for the rest of us, if you've never played Portal you'll find the first 4 chapters an addicting and humorous good time. Expand
  58. Apr 22, 2011
    It was always going to be hard to live up to the hype that surrounded the release of Portal 2, and I feel like the game fell slightly short. While the new puzzle mechanics such as the goo and light bridges were refreshing at first, they quickly became repetitive and formulaic. Blue goo again, where is the angled wall that I need to splatter with it this time? Light bridge again? Sigh,It was always going to be hard to live up to the hype that surrounded the release of Portal 2, and I feel like the game fell slightly short. While the new puzzle mechanics such as the goo and light bridges were refreshing at first, they quickly became repetitive and formulaic. Blue goo again, where is the angled wall that I need to splatter with it this time? Light bridge again? Sigh, place portal at end of bridge and one behind me, walk onto it, then move second portal so I drop down to the bridge below me. Maybe it was a case of expecting too much, but I definitely found the puzzles in Portal 2 much easier than the original.
    Portal wasn't a long game, and while Portal 2 extends the single player to about 3x the length of the original, and adds co-op mode, I breezed through single player in a little under 6 hours. Given the four years since the original, I was expecting more.
    Stephen Merchant's voice acting was a love it or hate it kinda deal, and I personally found it a bit irritating. If you found yourself shedding a tear as you incinerated your companion cube in Portal 1, you'll probably enjoy the voice acting and writing. If not, there are a few funny moments but the script is a bit stale, with GlasOS becoming particularly formulaic.

Overall, a good game, not a great game. Don't expect too much and you'll enjoy it.
  59. Apr 25, 2011
    One can hardly call this collection of puzzles challenging, unless you're a six year old, but as a whole P2 is pretty good production value. So what does this mean? Well you're going to need your thinking cap for about 1/8 of the game, otherwise just connect the dots rinse and repeat. So yes, it's hard to believe a puzzle game is so ridiculously easy, and before long just laboriouslyOne can hardly call this collection of puzzles challenging, unless you're a six year old, but as a whole P2 is pretty good production value. So what does this mean? Well you're going to need your thinking cap for about 1/8 of the game, otherwise just connect the dots rinse and repeat. So yes, it's hard to believe a puzzle game is so ridiculously easy, and before long just laboriously boring. So what pulls you in? Well the story is sort of interesting, and dialog(on occasion) is witty and well acted... definitely not $50 witty though. The Source engine is dated, and feels like a Half Life2 flashback. Wait for the bargain bin. Expand
  60. Apr 22, 2011
    Great while it lasted, but 4 hours is not worth the money I paid, and I was in no hurry. Thankfully it never got too repetitive, but I think they could have made it a bit trickier. People will like the game because it will make them feel smart solving the puzzles, which is reflected in some overly positive reviews. One thing I did not like was the british voice which was very annoying toGreat while it lasted, but 4 hours is not worth the money I paid, and I was in no hurry. Thankfully it never got too repetitive, but I think they could have made it a bit trickier. People will like the game because it will make them feel smart solving the puzzles, which is reflected in some overly positive reviews. One thing I did not like was the british voice which was very annoying to me. A cheaper price would make this almost an 8. Expand
  61. Mar 4, 2012
    Portal 2 is a great cinematic experience. But as a game and as a sequel to Portal it is horrible.
    Every aspect of the game is inferior to Portal: the writing, the gameplay, the pace.
    There are really no puzzles, just platforming. 99% of "puzzles" involving shooting the 2 portable wall segments you can see and walking through the closest one, repeat. The great cinematics can make it seem
    There are really no puzzles, just platforming.
    The great cinematics can make it seem like you are doing something interesting, but it is all a transparent illusion.
  62. Apr 26, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fine game. But Valve seems to have worked on the Alternate Reality Game more than they did the actual game. It's still very short (only 6-7 hours on my first run) and very rarely did I get stuck for more than 5 minutes. Don't get me wrong, everything from gameplay to graphics has been polished to a fine shine, but that's where I start to get disappointed. It feels tooPortal 2 is a fine game. But Valve seems to have worked on the Alternate Reality Game more than they did the actual game. It's still very short (only 6-7 hours on my first run) and very rarely did I get stuck for more than 5 minutes. Don't get me wrong, everything from gameplay to graphics has been polished to a fine shine, but that's where I start to get disappointed. It feels too familiar. Everything that happens you kind of expect to happen. No big surprises like the last game. The character wheatley feels...out of place and at times, annoying. Portal was largely an out of body experience, with a very light story on the side. With the bigger and better script, Portal 2 is lighter on the gameplay and heavier on the story. Shame. When you get to thinking about it, Portal was an accidental masterpiece, to they point where valve didn't even sell it as its own product for nearly a year. They tried replicating the experience, but ended up copying and pasting many major events of the originals story. Co-Op, so far, is a nice addition. The maps definitely have more challenge to them than the campaign and the robots are very charming to be with, almost to the point where you don't want to talk, just to see the mute bots do their job. My only major issue so far is the price point. Portal 2 is fun, but has no replay value and a very short length. It's simply not worth the price of admission. Expand
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    Man, I can't help but feel a little cheated from all that day 1 DLC... The game was pretty fun, and the single player campaign took me 4 hours and 21 minutes to beat. I haven't done co-op yet, so that might add a few more hours, but I still feel like the 40$ price tag isn't entirely justified for what I'm just assuming will fall into the 8-12 hour long range.
    But, there's a reason I
    But, there's a reason I haven't done co-op yet. Portal 2 has no easy to use LAN, and my ISP illegally blocks all peer to peer connections. Due to that, I literally cannot play co-op. If only it had LAN...
    Another problem was that whole potato thing, where we had to buy and play a bunch of games just to release the game like 12 hours early. The console version of the game was available for illegal download like, a week and a half before the PC version was released "early".
    All and all, I feel like Portal 2 is worth playing, but perhaps you should wait until it goes on sale for at least 50% off.
  64. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is a great game for someone who has never played portal or just entering this genre of game. I could see you playing well over 10 hours for single player and a few less for co-op. If you are use to this genre or played Portal 1 than this game will disappoint you. I beat the game in just over 5 hours without trying to rush. The story was great and funny while it lasted and it tiedThis game is a great game for someone who has never played portal or just entering this genre of game. I could see you playing well over 10 hours for single player and a few less for co-op. If you are use to this genre or played Portal 1 than this game will disappoint you. I beat the game in just over 5 hours without trying to rush. The story was great and funny while it lasted and it tied up a bunch of holes in the original which made me feel like it was work it. As I have said if you have never played portal before than this will be a very enjoyable game full of humor, if not than little more than the story will entertain you.

Warning: This game feels slightly like it was designed for the Console in mind. There is plenty of loading screens almost after every level. I feel this game was not designed for the people who really wanted it and I am hoping that valve will redeem themselves soon.
  65. Apr 21, 2011
    This game was too short and there is really no value in justifying the $40-$50 price tag, especially if you watch the youtube videos on how to solve the puzzles. The game took me 1.5 hours to beat it and I got no value. I think Valve really needs to shut down youtube (maybe even goggle) because it really spoils the game and it also makes the strategy guides sold at game stores for $20This game was too short and there is really no value in justifying the $40-$50 price tag, especially if you watch the youtube videos on how to solve the puzzles. The game took me 1.5 hours to beat it and I got no value. I think Valve really needs to shut down youtube (maybe even goggle) because it really spoils the game and it also makes the strategy guides sold at game stores for $20 un-buyable. The graphics are also quite old, they're basically on par with HL2 and the source engine is so overused at this point. The first day DLC was also a disappointment because it was so expensive. I couldn't afford any of the items and even though it's all cosmetics like others have stated, I like looking good in game. Valve really seems like they're trying to leech off rich people who can afford these items and pss on people like me. So overall, I really didn't get value on my buy and I'm pretty sure you won't too. Best if you wait until it's free like Portal 1 was so you could buy it and get more value than I did. Expand
  66. Apr 22, 2011
    The problem with highly anticipated sequels is the love of the original often will cover its problems. Portal 2 isn't a bad game, but it seems to be just a (slightly) longer version of the original. Much of what made Portal 1 so great was it was a innovative title, the concept and the humor was great. Portal 2 isn't much different. It has a new story with new characters and better graphicsThe problem with highly anticipated sequels is the love of the original often will cover its problems. Portal 2 isn't a bad game, but it seems to be just a (slightly) longer version of the original. Much of what made Portal 1 so great was it was a innovative title, the concept and the humor was great. Portal 2 isn't much different. It has a new story with new characters and better graphics but thats a given with sequels does it really offer anything new. It is deserving of the the plethora of 10's or the 4 or lesses, i don't believe so. My biggest issue is the price, the value for your money simply isn't there its a short game for $50, based on the reviewers here it seems to take about 4-6 hours, that is a short game. Especially for a puzzle game because there is no replay value, once you figure out the puzzles there is really nothing you can extract from it. For that it loses 2 points for me 1 for value 1 for replayability. Another issue i have is, its very easy. For a puzzle game that is again a big detraction especially the section where you're simply looking for the special portal allowing walls in the otherwise portal-proof sections, and for that it loses another point. My last issue and point for that matter as i previously mentioned, there isn't anything that new from the last game. The gel things aren't that cool to be the only real new thing. The portal thing is cool, it really is, but not enough in the second game. To call this game the best valve game ever is ridiculous this isn't close to Half-Life. And lastly opinions are opinions, im not a troll for rating this game a 6, that just what i think is deserves. Expand
  67. Apr 25, 2011
    The story in Portal 2 is fantastic but the puzzles offer little challenge and the game only offers about 7 hours of gameplay, MUCH too short for a $50 game. If Valve had just stuck more puzzles (and harder ones, at that) in between all the amazing story segments this title would be approaching perfection.

So much potential, wasted.
  68. May 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give 10 to Portal but only 6 to Portal 2. Why? "My way or highway" is the formula of Portal 2 gameplay.

The player has no freedom of choice, the line from start to end does not interweave. The solutions are clever but are the only ones.

Plus I did not feel that unique atmosphere and environment of Portal. I liked Aperture Science much more than (spoiler!) the caves.
  69. May 27, 2011
    There are people in the green and in the red with great points about the game. From the green, I will agree that it is a great game. It is very fun, I had a lot of fun replaying it, getting the achievements, and going back to listen to the conversations that you miss on the first play through. The multiplayer is fun (my friend and I actually played it before we played the singleplayerThere are people in the green and in the red with great points about the game. From the green, I will agree that it is a great game. It is very fun, I had a lot of fun replaying it, getting the achievements, and going back to listen to the conversations that you miss on the first play through. The multiplayer is fun (my friend and I actually played it before we played the singleplayer campaign and it didn't ruin the game). The story of multiplayer isn't strong, but it doesn't have to be because the puzzles are quite fun and you're playing with/against a partner. The game is bugless, as far as I can tell.
    That being said, the single player campaign is far too easy/short. Of the 6 hours I spent on the first run through, (the multiplayer took 5 hours the night before) I'd say that about an hour was spent in cinematic, meaning that I only spent 5 hours actually playing it. Thus the score of 6. The game is a lot of fun, the flavor pieces are brilliant and the game is clean, and they did a great job making sure it wasn't the exact same game as last time. Unfortunately, the game is a bit short and the puzzles are quite easy. Hopefully the map creator on steam will inspire the community to create challenge maps and interesting puzzles, but we'll see what happens. I think this game is a 10 at 20 dollars, but doesn't live up to the price tag it carries.
  70. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good story, only good game. And this "loading screens" often and often - is this game can use RAM or is developed for calculators?
  71. Jun 12, 2011
    Too short, too simple, too dumb, too linear. Very irritating. In comparison to Portal 1, there is no improvements at all, menu, settings, graphics, sound, puzzles, story, or way you move, way a portal appear or is controlled are all broken. Even physics is broken. You cannot even kill itself, as there are lots of invisible walls in silly places preventing you from doing this.
  72. Apr 19, 2011
    Can't exactly pinpoint why I wasn't happy with this game when I did enjoy Portal. But I guess sequels rarely ever do well.

Although it is fair to say that I was expecting more out of single player. Total game play adds up to about 4 hours, 3 if you're quick and maybe 6 if you're not the type to pick up on things fast. The Portal series to me should be very single player focused. Unfortunately Valve has gone with the popular notion that a game can be carried by it's multiplayer component. NOW this can be true for FPSes like BC2, but a game like Portal where puzzle platforming is core gameplay does not hold to this principle. Now that being said. The game itself was a good, great voice acting too. Although the quality is somewhat lacking compared to the original, it seems more like an homage to the first Portal rather than a sequel. As for the score, I would've given it a 8 or a 9 if not for the blatant marketing ploys. A 4 hour game costing a good $50 is already pushing it but did they really have to push back a release date just to pressure sales on other games? And cash shop too, on the first day of release. That is funny and a bit tragic at the same time. Because up until 2 years ago Valve was still the shining beacon in the mire that is the game industry. Now it's just the same as the others, how naive of me to think it could be different!
  73. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite all the build up buzz... this game is mediocre for a valve game, sure they've expanded on the original, but the campaign and co-op modes wont even last a day before completion...shame but to add insult to injury they chuck a tonne of DLCs for money on day of release.... all of which should have been bundled with it in the first instance... sorry paid DLCs need to be more thanDespite all the build up buzz... this game is mediocre for a valve game, sure they've expanded on the original, but the campaign and co-op modes wont even last a day before completion...shame but to add insult to injury they chuck a tonne of DLCs for money on day of release.... all of which should have been bundled with it in the first instance... sorry paid DLCs need to be more than cosmetic and the game is waaaaaaay to short. Expand
  74. Apr 23, 2011
    A cheap console port. DLC from the start and highly priced. Pretty much valves worst game yet because of this but the game it'self is good but short.
  75. Apr 19, 2011
    A week before the game was even released, I was spoiled to the ending. So that, immediately, messed with my ability to enjoy the game. But anyways, there were a few problems with Portal 2. I felt like the price was unjustified - but, well, that price was normal for Valve games, so I accepted it. When I played, however, the price became a clear mistake in my eyes. The campaign was no moreA week before the game was even released, I was spoiled to the ending. So that, immediately, messed with my ability to enjoy the game. But anyways, there were a few problems with Portal 2. I felt like the price was unjustified - but, well, that price was normal for Valve games, so I accepted it. When I played, however, the price became a clear mistake in my eyes. The campaign was no more than 6 hours long, and the Multiplayer was bogged down by Day 1 content that shouldn't have been cut from the game for the sake of packaging it, and trying to sell it as a separate item. This game got so much hype - with the potato collecting, to trying to power up by playing certain games. It just felt like a massive let down, as well as a massive spit in the face from Robin and Gabe. Remember when Robin said they weren't trying to "nickel-and-dime" their player base? I suppose the campaign was enjoyable. But as game about puzzles and portal, the Singleplayer has no real replayability. I can admire the cross-platform access, but once you beat the main game, the only thing left for you is a Multiplayer that's tainted by Valve's attempts at more money. Expand
  76. Apr 30, 2011
    Macht doch bitte mal die Augen auf!
    Langsam nimmt das Ganze AusmaÃ
  77. Apr 19, 2011
    I thought it was OK. I didn't play the original Portal until 2009 and I loved every minute of it. Portal 2 seems unfinished - or a rushed game to apease the fan base. (This is a PC review - all settings on max 1080p)

What's cool: GLaDOS. She's mean, she wants revenge, she doesn't really like you..at all. I liked this. Although the narrative was weak you still felt sort of involved. It's also funny - she calls you fat.. a lot.

The Puzzles. Smart and pretty innovated - this is what the game is about. Challenging but not rocket science/CERN type challenging. Very polished.

Music. I didn't notice the music in the first game at all but in Portal 2 it's great and well executed.

What's not so cool:

LOADING SCREENS!! Ahh!! It's 2011 and I guess the Source Engine hasn't been updated since Half-Life 2. The loading screens take you out of the action, out of the moment. This also limits GLaDOS' narrative as she is limited to a 4-6 second sentence as you walk from the gate to the elevator. There is A LOT of loading screens, a lot. Did I mention there's a lot of loading screens? Bad Valve.

Graphics. The trailer/commercials show the two robots looking awesome and detailed and the foliage/environment is so awesome and creative...and they are..just don't walk up to them. The textures (up close) resemble graphics from 2004 (**I'll note this seems to be the norm in games these days, Crysis 2 has the same problem, what gives?!). Next time you're in the elevator look at the little sticker. You'll know what I mean. Value. As much fun this game is, it's not worth the MSPR price of $59.99. I do understand that the price is probably for PS3 and XBOX but I feel bad for you guys. I got the game for $44 with the pre order. Is it worth that much? Not really. Maybe $19-$29. Heres why. You don't get a lot of bang for your buck. It's a short but fun game. After the co-op, theres little incentive to keep playing. No online multiplayer sucks. Think of what they could have done. A $60 game without multiplayer seems a bit steep (I do understand a lot people don't care for it, but still -whats there to do after single player?)

DLC. I don't buy DLC, I don't think I'll ever buy DLC. Why on earth would I pay $14 for 30mins of extra play, Insane. I realize theres a lot of DLC available after launch and I get that. Valve SELLS games and DLC. Was it professional to release DLC right after the game? I wouldn't. DLC after launch is like saying "Yeah, we could have included this in the final version but...we didn't. We want more money. It's not about the gamer it's about earnings." The old Valve wasn't like that. But then again, most companies adhere to this strategy, sadly.

So all in all, I give it a 5/10. It's fun, short and theres little replay value. Hence it's not worth $49-$59. I'm sure there will be a sale sooner or later. Id wait for that.
  78. Jun 1, 2011
    The game play was excellent, top notch as expected.
    The story was lame, no mystery in it at all, blunt and crazy and somehow still in the Half-Life universe. Really lame writing, not realistic or believable in any sense. Its almost like a fan-fic a 10 year old wrote. Far too much dialog and the characters are written for fanboy's(and fangirl's).
    The graphics were great, not top notch break
    The game play was excellent, top notch as expected.
    The graphics were great, not top notch break your computer amazing but it didn't disappoint.
    The load screens were frequent but short.
    The length is short, REALLY short. If you want to play co-op (I don't care about co-op) than it goes from extremely short to really short.
    The Replay value is 0. I found some invisible walls/pushing entities that just make me mad, let me play my game, if I want to die in some spectacular way, let me.

Overall this game is like a very very delicious Filet Mignon that may have been slightly overcooked. Its delicious and I really enjoyed it, but there are better things to spend $50 on.

At the end of the day I find myself enjoying the steak sample Ihad years ago in Portal 1 which left me salivating for me. This game left me with a strange aftertaste and a thinner wallet.
  79. May 2, 2011
    Portal 1 was new and surprising. Portal 2 was longer and more expensive. The tests were dumbed down and repetitive. The 'story' was predictable. The ending was such a copy of the first that the game joked about it being a copy of the first. I was really anticipating something special from valve and was badly disappointed. Let's hope Valve doesn't throw Half Life 2 Ep 3 under the bus as well.
  80. May 3, 2011
    Good story, but very boring gameplay. Testroom, testroom, testroom, laborotory, laborotory, laborotory, testroom, testroom, testroom... final boss! Puzzles very simple.
  81. Jun 14, 2011
    I wish I had paid more for the original Portal. For Portal 2, however, I wish I had paid less (even though I bought it on sale for $30). Maybe Valve has been making "Episodes" for so long they forgot how to make a full-fledged game? Sure Portal 2 is entertaining, funny (Stephen Merchant!) and contains a few head-scratcher puzzles, but in the end it's too short, not difficult enough and hasI wish I had paid more for the original Portal. For Portal 2, however, I wish I had paid less (even though I bought it on sale for $30). Maybe Valve has been making "Episodes" for so long they forgot how to make a full-fledged game? Sure Portal 2 is entertaining, funny (Stephen Merchant!) and contains a few head-scratcher puzzles, but in the end it's too short, not difficult enough and has zero replay value. I hope Valve adds some time challenges, portal challenges or just more plain ol' puzzle levels in the form of DLC. I'd even consider paying for some game-expanding DLC, even though it should have been there in the first place (I'm looking at you, Mafia II). Disappointed? A little. Good game anyway? Absolutely. Expand
  82. Jun 15, 2011
    It gets an 7 for being unique. But aside from that, it's too similar to Portal 1, and it's too short. The amount of game time you get to play is minimal, a few hours at most before your done. The puzzles are not overly challenging, and it's gets boring after an hour of play or so. The game is unique, but aside from that there's not that much to it.
  83. Jun 28, 2011
    Not a bad game. I am not a fan of puzzle games in general but this one had enough of a story to keep me engaged. The writing is pretty funny at the start, but gets less and less funny as the game progresses. The puzzles themselves are genuinely challenging, and for someone who hasn't played Portal 1 the learning curve is slow and forgiving, which is a great thing. The worst thing aboutNot a bad game. I am not a fan of puzzle games in general but this one had enough of a story to keep me engaged. The writing is pretty funny at the start, but gets less and less funny as the game progresses. The puzzles themselves are genuinely challenging, and for someone who hasn't played Portal 1 the learning curve is slow and forgiving, which is a great thing. The worst thing about this game is that the camera angles occasionally gave me headaches, and chapters 6-7 in the warehouse were rather boring. The concept itself is VERY original and fun though, I found myself imagining portal moves even during non-gaming hours, Lol. Give this game a shot, it is worth it. Expand
  84. Apr 23, 2013
    Excellent SP story! Now.... Portal 2 is worthy, but overly simplistic due to also being available on consoles that use analogue controls. Hey, at least we have the steam workshop so we don't have to deal with the simple console based level design anymore. If you want a more challenging experience look to the portal 2 workshop on steam.
  85. Jul 16, 2011
    To make it fair.... the game is very fun and very well what I expected of the sequel. It's very funny and probably what I liked the best of it and it still keeps the whole Portal essence. However, like other reviewers, I did find it too easy and short for such a huge price and hype. The game is very good, and a must play... but certainly not enough for all the overrated reviews. 88-90/100To make it fair.... the game is very fun and very well what I expected of the sequel. It's very funny and probably what I liked the best of it and it still keeps the whole Portal essence. However, like other reviewers, I did find it too easy and short for such a huge price and hype. The game is very good, and a must play... but certainly not enough for all the overrated reviews. 88-90/100 should be it's real value. Expand
  86. Jul 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fun experience, but it's really short on content. Firstly, the Portal mechanic works great. Everything looks and plays really well, and it's a very well presented title. Also, the gameplay is very fun. It's around the system of clearing puzzles in order to progress further and further. The puzzles ranged from pretty easy to kind-of tough, but the game never got too hard thatPortal 2 is a fun experience, but it's really short on content. Firstly, the Portal mechanic works great. Everything looks and plays really well, and it's a very well presented title. Also, the gameplay is very fun. It's around the system of clearing puzzles in order to progress further and further. The puzzles ranged from pretty easy to kind-of tough, but the game never got too hard that I got stuck. That being said, the game felt short and lacking any replay content. The main single-player mode can took me 6 hours, and the co-op mode took me 2 hours, totalling at 8 hours. 8 hours of non-replayable content is a bit hard to press for a full priced game, and that's why my score is a 6, because there's not a lot of content to be found. Sure, it is a well crafted game, but it's a delicacy that's over before you want it to be. I didn't feel insanely challenged by this game, and it left me slightly unrewarded. Overall, if you aren't too much of a puzzle fan, this would be a great game for you. If you're wanting a challenge, though, this game doesn't offer too much of one. Expand
  87. Aug 9, 2011
    Great game for $10 but not much more. It was quite easy to beat the sp version in about 3 hours, just look for the white walls. Co-op is horrible if you don't speak portugese, spanish or german. If you don't have a microphone your games will end abruptly due to the inability to exchange tactics resulting in the other player disconnecting due to frustration. It should have been 3x as longGreat game for $10 but not much more. It was quite easy to beat the sp version in about 3 hours, just look for the white walls. Co-op is horrible if you don't speak portugese, spanish or german. If you don't have a microphone your games will end abruptly due to the inability to exchange tactics resulting in the other player disconnecting due to frustration. It should have been 3x as long to keep my interest and incorporated all the game mechanics in all areas. It seemed divided as if different developers made their own concepts yet did not collaborate to bring the entire experience together. I didn't approve of the negativity and condescending nature of the female voice, after listening to Cave Johnson's commercials. Expand
  88. Aug 11, 2012
    This game is really good if you get it on sale on Steam. I wouldn't suggest getting it at full price because the game simply isn't long enough. It is much longer than Portal. The first time playing through will take probably around 5 hours on average.
  89. Aug 30, 2011
    Just slightly above average. It's a fun game, sure. However it is fairly short and although it is a lot of fun I expected a whole lot more. Note that the new features implemented were great ideas. Unfortunately because of its short and simplistic story it didn't make too much of an impact
  90. Sep 12, 2011
    Not the worst of games, Great whilst it lasted but so short, I beat the entire game in 3 hours and I'm not even that great at these types of games, However the two things that annoys me: 1) The price, Jesus Christ £30, This is a game worthy of £8 or so for short but sweet, Defiantly no where near £30 considering other games or stuff you can buy forNot the worst of games, Great whilst it lasted but so short, I beat the entire game in 3 hours and I'm not even that great at these types of games, However the two things that annoys me: 1) The price, Jesus Christ £30, This is a game worthy of £8 or so for short but sweet, Defiantly no where near £30 considering other games or stuff you can buy for that, Valve really are milking the cash-cow here 2) The Valve fanboys, Now I know every game has it's following, But this is just ridiculous, These people will literally rip your heart out and show it too you for calling this game anything short of perfection ;___; The proof is in the User reviews if you look, Anyway the short version: Decent game but nowhere near worth the £30 Expand
  91. Oct 12, 2011
    A solid, enjoyable game, with good production values and neat levels. The only thing stopping this from being a 10 is that the challenge level is obviously dumbed down for mass-market appeal. Much easier than the first one, overall. There's no real challenge, even with the final climax, which is unfortunately quite similar, though less clever, than the original portal climax.
  92. Mar 25, 2012
    Fun game but way too short. Took at most 8 hours to complete, and another 4 for the the coop campaign. This is simply not enough considering that there's next to no replayability once you've solved the puzzles. - Puzzles that, to me, seldom seemed challenging, and I reckon one would be better off grabbing portal 1 than this game. - It's a shame as Portal 2 really had a lot of potential,Fun game but way too short. Took at most 8 hours to complete, and another 4 for the the coop campaign. This is simply not enough considering that there's next to no replayability once you've solved the puzzles. - Puzzles that, to me, seldom seemed challenging, and I reckon one would be better off grabbing portal 1 than this game. - It's a shame as Portal 2 really had a lot of potential, especially for some challenging coop gameplay. Expand
  93. Feb 11, 2012
    With all of the Source Engine epic animations, movement and prop details, Portal 2 is still disappointing those with the less perfect hardware users, and the game itself built in a strange way; In the ending of Portal it clearly seems that the player has managed to escape the aperture science labs.
    and in Portal 2, the player starts right in the building which is half broken and self rebuilding after it got shutdown? well, VALVe - Good luck next time!
  94. Aug 6, 2012
    3+/5 (Kinda good)

There is alot to like in Portal 2, but there is also something that makes it KINDA "meh": I've already been excited ONCE by the "portal mechanic". It was called PORTAL 1. Now, you've GOT to give me something MORE!

Apparently, the "more" part is multiplayer, but I haven't tried it! So I'll say the game is kinda good!

Try it if it seems interesting to you!
  95. Aug 18, 2013
    I'm not a big Valve fan, but Portal 2 is much better and than their other games. You have to go trough the first set of puzzles, then the story takes a big turn. The writing is smart, the gameplay feels very polished. The environments are mindblowing. And finally, it has a decent ending!
  96. Feb 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 caused a major bomb to go off in fans when it it was announced in 2010. But was all of the fuss worth it? This is my review of Portal 2 for the PC.

STORY: One of GLaDOS's old corrupted cores named Wheatley accidentally turns GLaDOS back online. So GLaDOS drags Chell into a post-apocalyptic Aperture Laboratories to do more testing. I bet that the story could've been done a bit better, though. It just seems a bit lazily done. (7)

PRESENTATION: The utterly hilarious dialogue is done even better with the introduction of Wheatley. Wheatley is such a funny character thanks to him not having the brightest LED lights. GLaDOS is also more hilarious than ever! Another thing is the test chambers. There's so much to say about the test chambers! In the beginning of the game there are overgrown plants everywhere to symbolize how long it's been since the first game. Also, while the facility is being rebuilt, you get to see the chambers be built right before your eyes! New propulsion gels have been created too. Made to make you jump higher, run faster, or place portals on non-portal surfaces. They make way for new puzzle solving capabilities!(10)

GAMEPLAY: The gameplay is using the same engine that Valve has been using for decades. I'd say something good about it, but by now it just feels re-hashed and lazy. But for being used well, it gets a five. (5)

FINAL LEVEL (SPOILERS!): So midway through the game, Wheatley takes over the building. So you need to track him down to his lair, and defeat him! This level is obviously based from the escape part of Portal 1, which was my favorite part excluding the battle with GLaDOS. Except this time it's much more straightforward, and there are less forks in the road. Yet, you could say that there are a lot more death traps in this one. When you reach Wheatley, it just doesn't feel as epic as meeting GLaDOS in the first game. The boss battle is rather straightforward considering the fact that Wheatley TELLS you how to defeat him! I think the writers went off the deep end with his idiocy on that one. Then Wheatley gets sent to space forever, GLaDOS then frees you from the laboratories. Behind you, the door opens, and what comes out of it but a charred companion cube. (7)

COMPLETION BONUS: This has an extremely similar reward to that of Portal 1. The title screen is different. This time it shows Wheatley lost in space. But instead of being disappointing, it actually feels good. Seeing that homicidal robot get a taste of his own medicine! MWAHAHAHAHA!! But it still doesn't feel as rewarding as a bonus level though. (6)

Overall, Portal 2 is my favorite game of the year, and I look forward doing the same thing I did with Portal 1. Replaying it over, and over again! 7 out of 10)
  97. Feb 3, 2015
    It rides on the success of its predeccessor. Not nearly as much fun or unique, and the talking robot is an aannoying brit who just doesn't shut up and tells poor jokes. It ruined the game for me, I couldn't even play it more than a few minutes before uninstalling it due to that robot and the repetitive nature of the game.
  98. Apr 3, 2012
    Good, but not great. Voice acting great. Puzzles too easy. Next to zero replayability. Some good additions from the first game. Where are the steps/portals/time challenges? Only good value for money if you can get it cheaply. Very funny in parts.
  99. Oct 20, 2011
    Portal 2 - an amazing game... not. I found it a bit boring after playing a couple of tests, it doesnt keep me playing too long to realise how to do the tests. It took me 8.2 hours to pass it but its not all negative. The end its simply the best ive ever seen in a game and the liked the characters in the game. All this and i only give 7 out of 10, sorry.
  100. Feb 10, 2012
    Great game. Great humor/great void acting. Interesting look into the origins of the aperature. The levels aren't particularly difficult to figure out, but at least stumped me once or twice for 10 minutes or so, and they do have new little things to try beyond the portal gun from the first game. Even the length of the game is pretty good to be fun but not get too tedious. The onlyGreat game. Great humor/great void acting. Interesting look into the origins of the aperature. The levels aren't particularly difficult to figure out, but at least stumped me once or twice for 10 minutes or so, and they do have new little things to try beyond the portal gun from the first game. Even the length of the game is pretty good to be fun but not get too tedious. The only problem really is the PRICE vs the LENGTH. I bought the game on sale for like $5 on steam, so i have no problem. But at anything above $10 it's just not a good value for your money. The game on average takes people 8-12 hours. In my opinon any game that costs you anything more than $1 per hour of entertainment is just not a great value when there are plenty of titles that will. Collapse
  101. Feb 10, 2012