8.7

1. Aug 13, 2011
    best game I have ever played. creative game play, nice puzzle design. plot is pretty good. I think it will make half-life 2 - ep3 difficult to against this game.
  2. Aug 13, 2011
    Portal 2 has answered many questions involving the Half-Life universe and really wrapped up the game. It keeps the challenge Portal had and multiplied it by two, creating this new world unseen in the first Portal not to mention Valve's always amazing comic relief
  3. Aug 14, 2011
    This is an amazing game, it takes all the things that made the first portal great and expands upon it. This game is a 10 out of 10, possibly the greatest stradegy game ever made.
  4. Aug 27, 2011
    A strong comeback from portal 1.
    Really good story, and a very enjoyable co-op mode.
    For people who are unknown to this game have a really good toturial.
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    Watched this game's announcement from the very first ARG, to the Potato Sack release. And I've gotta say, It lived up to the hype. Story, sound, music, game play, characters? In my humble opinion, they were all virtually flawless. To those on the fence about purchasing this game...do it. I promise you, you will not regret it.
  6. Sep 20, 2011
    I loved everything of this game, the music, the ambientation, the graphics, the fun, the great voice lines and the great touch of mind resolving games that gives portal 2.

The entire game was freaking fun, always difficult as the first game and introducing some new characters that gives the game a complete new look in the story.

The new cooperative addition was completely amazing,
    telling a side story after the end of the main story, that is impressive in all kind of ways.

Valve managed to make a game that was completely unbelievable and fun with some incredible innovation and a excellent care of their games.

The reason why i gave a 10/10 is because during all the time I played Portal 2, I never got bored at any moment.

VALVE you did it again and i know that you will keeping doing this with all of your upcoming games.
  7. Oct 3, 2011
    Well seeing as there are already plenty of review on this game i'll be short and quick. This game is fantastic. The puzzles are hair pullers and when you figure them out you make yourself feel like your the dumbest person on the planet. Glados is back with her sarcastic and black humor. Wheatley is a great addition too, Stephen Merchant does a fantastic job on voice work. Though for me the character that shined was Cave Johnson's voice over. I was laughing so hard nearly every time a work came out his mouth. My only problem, is that there is really no replay value when finished. A puzzle is only good once. 9/10 Expand
  8. Oct 29, 2011
    YEa even though the engine is old, and valve was trying to squeeze everything out of that old engine, the game is FUN
    Portal 1 was incredible, but this is just another league
  9. Nov 3, 2011
    One of my favourite games ever, i never thought i would be saying that. It is such an improvement on the first one too and i love the story and banter throughout the game. My only gripe would be that the levels are too easy, i found i wizzed through the first half of the game.
  10. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a great game. The graphics are beautiful, the story is filled with dark humor, the voice acting is superb, and the puzzles are challenging. All in all, this is a fun and challenging experience worth the price.
  11. Nov 15, 2011
    This is one of the best game I've ever played
    It has an amazing story line and fun characters. Although I think the game is a but short but there is nothing wrong with that. I have played through the story loads of times, each time I do I find out more information about the story and Easter eggs, but not everyone will do this. Hopefully with the future update, running custom maps will keep
    people playing this amazing game

The co op part of the game makes up 40% of portal 2, but I highly recommend only playing the story with a friend as it gets annoying that you can only talk to them using simple sentences and phrases like "step on that button"or "go over there"

I got this game as a PS3 version, although I only play it on PC. This is because I have a good PC and that I am not very happy with the PS3 port. Loading times are long and the game can slow down at times. Also playing the game with a keyboard and mouse is a LOT easier

The soundtrack of the game is very dynamic. More instruments/tracks come in sometimes in certain levels, like when you are flying in the air or when activating switches, it is really good when you finish the game and listen to the credits :)

You don't need to play portal 1 to understand it, but it helps if you do, but if you use steam then you might already have it or git it for free

Everyone should try this game, this definitely goes on my top 5 games list!
  12. Nov 16, 2011
    Valve never fails to disapoint. Everything about this game is so unique and enjoyable. If you have only played the single player you really need to go back and play through the coop! Especially now that Valve released new DLC (for free I might add, that alone makes me want to give this game more than a 10) Don't forget to bring your combustible lemons as well!
  13. Nov 18, 2011
    It's the best story game I've ever played. Valve out did themselves with Portal 2, fun, thrilling, fast, and creative. It will eventually end up being remembered as one of the great games of its age. (Now if Valve would just release Half Life 3 already.)
  14. Nov 20, 2011
    Solid writing as well as excellent dark humour, the puzzles are challenging but never so to a point of getting stuck. Story line offer plenty for everyone here.
  15. Nov 20, 2011
    Other of the biggest masterpiece of Valve. Portal 2 is the best example of how to overcome the insurmountable. There is no way to complain about this game because it is simply amazing. High top of the best game of this generation.
  16. Nov 20, 2011
    The game, being just as challenging as the first, brought me into thinking mode, as i tried to work out the puzzles. the gift of getting passed the task isn't even as rewarding as how pleased i am with myself when i finally figure it out. After every puzzle, i grin, and go on towards the next challenge.
  17. Jan 20, 2012
    Breathtaking. The hilarious characters, the exciting puzzles, and the deep plotline make this game a must-have. The only thing I didn't like was the boss fight. It was way too easy, and almost exactly like the one from the original Portal, but much more obvious. However, other than this small detail, I think Portal 2 is a great game. Valve has done it again.
  18. Jul 23, 2012
    A sequel worthy of the original. There's really nothing I can add that hasn't been said already. Melds a wonderful (if somewhat predictable) story with unforgettable characters and enthralling puzzles. Do yourself a huge favor and just get it.
  19. Feb 27, 2012
    It's supremely easy to gush hyperbole over this game...with good reason. It's a rare thing for a game to be this funny and this beautiful and THIS involving and impossible to put down. It goes eons beyond what Portal 1 attempted to do...Portal 2- IT GOES TO 11!!!...if this scoring system could, that is...
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    Portal 2 was a fantastic experience. It took the winning formula from the first iteration and improved it on every possible aspect.

It is much more aesthetically appealing than the first one, the puzzles are more inventive and fun and the storyline, even if not the most important aspect in a game like this, is entertaining provides some good laughs.
  21. Mar 30, 2012
    Truly a masterpiece, like its predecessor.
    Imho Portal 2 lives up to the expectations of Portal, which tells a lot, actually.
    With Portal 2, Valve manages to introduces new chunks of story, new characters (and the actors who voices the new characters like Wheatley and Cave Johnson did a SUPERB job), new interetisting mechanics and fun puzzles and it's also longer than Portal, but not the
    'boring long', just enough to keep the player entertained without becoming boring (and you will probably want to replay it at least a couple of times more) . Definitely a must have. Expand
  22. Apr 2, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game because it's bigger than the original and also with new features. But I prefer the original because I think the ending was not very good and the character Weathley (the robot that appears at the beginning of the game) made the game seem childish, because Weathley is very similar to those robots you see in Disney movies.
    But even so, I consider this a nice game.
  23. Nov 25, 2012
    This is without a doubt the best game I have ever played. I honestly cannot say one negative thing about it. The main story is absolutely fantastic. It's funny, entertaining, charming, smart, and gives a sense of intrigue. The gameplay is completely unique and far superior to any game out there. The design of using puzzles in the way it has been done is absolutely brilliant; some are challenging but it makes you never want to give up. The free downloadable content of user created maps on steam is simply the best addition to any game ever. There are hundreds of extremely high quality maps posted totally free which adds nearly infinite replay value. You can also create your own maps which is a super fun process. I still feel my time isn't wasted if I cannot come up with something I'm happy with to publish because it's so good that even just messing around for a couple hours is enjoyable. Portal 2 is best played on the PC by far and I highly recommend you pick up this game.......................... I have been playing games for 17+ years from the old NES, some great super nintendo games, awesome N64 stuff, etc but this game beats every mario, zelda, halo... you name it. As you get older it's hard to find games that really draw you in and let you have fun with it like you did when you were 10. This game accomplishes that. Portal 2 is a classic that will go down as one of the best, if not the single best game ever made. Expand
  24. Apr 3, 2012
    Portal 2 is amazing. the campaign's humour and direction gripped me from the start and i have to say that this is the funniest and most challenging game of 2011.
  25. May 20, 2012
    One of the best games I ever played. It's fantastic and it's perfect. I used to hate this kind of games, but Portal 2 opened my mind to this fantastic world. And GlaDOS... I love you.
  26. Oct 3, 2012
    More of the good stuff. It really is sad when people give a game like Portal 2 an extremely low score. What were you expecting? It has a single player and co-op campaign with user created content. You didn't have to buy it day one. Its not like it won't be five dollars on steam a few weeks later. Valve is just that generous. I absolutely loved that Valve included a steam copy with purchases of the Playstation 3 version. Keep it up, Valve. Expand
  27. May 18, 2012
    Bought the duo-pack for 12$ on steam.
    BEST. PURCHASE. EVER!
    I love the game and had so much fun with my friend! especially over skype. Hoping for Portal 3
  28. May 19, 2012
    The story is fun and humorous, the puzzles range from simplistic to diabolical, the characters are well fleshed-out, and the gameplay is absolutely engaging. A must-have.
  29. May 20, 2012
    I thought Portal 2 was just wonderful. The humorous dialogue coupled with that "Aha!" feeling you get when you beat a puzzle made this game franchise the successful gold mine it is today. While it was noticeably less puzzle-y than the first one, the co-op more than made up for this game's lack of difficulty. The puzzles, especially in single-player, were more trying to find the only platform in the room you can place a portal on. This being Portal 2's only flaw in my opinion (and a minor one at that), I don't see any reason why this game shouldn't get a perfect 10/10.

Oh, and I also thought the single player ending (which I am not going to be giving away) was both innovative and spectacular.
  30. Nov 15, 2012
    Now remember, the cake is a lie, guys. Other than that, the storyline is too awesome and gameplay is too awesome also. A must buy game. Don't look at the people who give bad reviews, it's cake, and cake is a lie.
  31. Jul 31, 2012
    This game was amazing. It is fun, clever and beautiful. Consistently clever writing perfectly complements the onscreen action. Brilliant comedic timing. Level of difficulty of the puzzles throughout the game was amazing. Voice acting and the characters are brilliant.
  32. Jul 25, 2012
    The game itself is a true jewel, inventive, original and with a righteously defined difficulty. But what makes it really lovely is the misty story and the as brilliant as cynical humor of the omnipresent center coordinator.
    Not only a puzzle game, it will ask of you sometime a good coordination too.
    Coop campaign is a "TODO" as well!
    Hint : having finished the first opus will help to
    immerse in the game. Expand
  33. Jul 30, 2012
    Great game, great story and innovative gameplay. This game sucked me in from the first moment i started playing it, and one of the few games i played through from beginning to the end. You really dont even want it to end!! +10
  34. Jul 31, 2012
    Portal 2 is a wonderful game. I have read a great number of reviews regarding this game and I have to say that I was a little confused by all the reviews saying "terrible game" and "lacking in repeat play". Let's take a look at some of the things that make this game great and why the negative reviews are just plain wrong. I will be addressing the highs and lows of this game in an attempt to paint the most accurate picture I can.

Development of Portal 2 began almost immediately after the release of Portal included in Valve's Orange Box. The critical acclaim of Portal allowed the development team to branch off and develop a stand alone game and not just a modification included with the Half-Life franchise. Initially, Portal 2 was to do away with portals altogether and use a technology called "F-Stop", something only Valve insiders know the details about. Luckily, through the development of Portal 2, this idea was scrapped and a new approach was taken: Don't make Portal 2 more difficult, make it more grand in scope and add puzzles that make players feel smart when they solve them.

I will admit that sections of Portal had me tearing my hair out but Portal 2 managed to keep me calm even during the more difficult puzzles. I'm not saying that Portal 2 is easy, but I found myself wondering around a puzzle trying to figure out how to solve it instead of blindly shooting portals at walls and waiting for something to stick. Now, that aside, let's get down to business.

STORY

I found the story of Portal 2 to be very simple; something that I would expect from a game that focuses more on solving puzzles than developing characters. The game is supposed to be fun. You aren't supposed to develop intense connections to the characters. A cut scene every five minutes would be unfitting to a game centered around puzzle solving.

GAMEPLAY

The mechanics of Portal 2 are nearly identical to that of Portal. You make a portal, step through, and things happen based on where you come out. Valve has added certain elements that allow you to solve puzzles in new and interesting ways. It is no longer just about making portals, you are required to take your environment into consideration and be able to use the new tools Portal 2 has provided to solve the new puzzles.

That being said, the only reason Portal 2 can be as long as it is (it can be beat in an afternoon, a solid 5 hours) is due to these new tools. It adds a certain dynamic to the gameplay but in the end it just feels like they tried to add content simply to make the game longer. The new elements are a bit tedious at times and I ran into a few puzzles that were just incredibly frustrating. However, my complaining may just be due to the fact that it took me a while to figure out a few of the puzzles and that made me upset.

GRAPHICS

Portal 2 does not push graphics to a new high but it does make the Source Engine look very pretty. The in-game animations look great and the destruction/creation of world elements is pulled off nicely. Having a loading screen pop up at then end of almost every test chamber does get annoying though. Several people have noted that this is a clear indicator that is game was designed for a console then ported to PC. After doing a bit of research though, I found this not to be the case. From a strictly graphical standpoint, Portal 2 does not disappoint.

CHARACTERS/DIALOG

As a whole, the voice acting is wonderfully done. It includes Ellen McClain reprising her role as GlaDOS, Stephen Merchant as the idiotic A.I. Wheatley, and J.K. Simmons voicing the founder of Aperture Science, Cave Johnson.

The scripted dialog between the characters does get a bit childish at times and the jokes a bit campy and dated but I did find myself chuckling on more than a few occasions. Then again, there is no real gore in this game and could be argued that it is suited for a younger audience, which is fine, despite it's "Teen" rating.

REPLAY VALUE

Ok, this where I would like to address a few issues. A lot of people have complained that once you solve a puzzle, there is no real replay value. Most of this game is based on solving puzzles, not quick reflexes or shooting skills. So where does the replay value come in? The Portal 2 Workbench. Valve has included a built in level builder where you are free to make new chambers and share them with the Steam community. Others have even gone on to create more complex levels in Hammer to add new story lines and locations. This is also not some small community with a rather limited number of levels, this is a VAST group of people all looking to contribute something unique. In my opinion, there is PLENTY of replay value in Portal 2.

So, there you have it. This game is immensely fun but in order for you to fully enjoy it, you must be willing to dive into the user-created content. Some of the puzzles can feel tedious but wholly enjoyable non-the-less.
  35. Sep 6, 2012
    Easily, one of the best games I have ever played. Much, much! longer than the original Portal, it will keep you entertained for the amount of hours it takes to beat it (Many hours). Portal 2 delivers more humor, more levels, more characters, more dialogue, and even chapters. And an all new multi-player mode! From the very first level, till the very last battle, it is a rare gem in the gaming world. In the end, it easily earns a 10 from me. Expand
  36. Sep 8, 2012
    It will be hard to make a Portal 3 as good as this is. it's not like the first Portal that you can finish on just some minutes, this was bigger than I thought it would be, and more awesome
  37. Oct 11, 2012
    I don't think Valve could have made this game any better. Taking on the body of your former protagonist , Chel, you must make your way through floors and floors of challenging puzzles to escape Aperture Laboratories. Having the rude and hilarious GlaDos constantly embarrassing you gives the game a comic feel while having Wheatly follow you throughout the levels to add a friend element to the game. No doubt this game is amazing in every way. Expand
  38. Nov 14, 2012
    This game succeeds at everything it tries to do- it creates a fantastic environment, has funny, likeable characters, presents difficult puzzles, and draws you along an interesting storyline. The only downside is that this game might be considered too short, even with the multiplayer coop (which is fantastic, by the way). However, I got the game at a discount and consider it to have been well worth my investment. I recommend the game for puzzle enthusiasts and anyone who wishes to have their brain stretched a bit. Expand
  39. Nov 14, 2012
    Portal 2 is fascinating. It is another Valve's masterpiece, thankfully. This sequel is even more fun, thanks to the new elements that are added. The puzzle design in Portal 2 may be the best from all puzzle games. The puzzles are mind blowing and fun, and none of them are frustrating. The new characters are charming and remarkable, all followed with a superb voice acting. The writing is terrific and frequently this game made me laugh out loud, because of the funny quotes of the characters. In short words, Portal 2 is a mind blowing experience and a nearly perfect game! (10) Expand
  40. Nov 20, 2012
    Portal 2 has proven that puzzle games can be addicting, memorable and hilarious. It's a sweet treat of a PC game, and the best one so far. Highly original and clever, I recommend it.
  41. Nov 23, 2012
    Best game that Valve made after Half Life!
    Singleplayer is more than satisfying, it's brilliant! Ending almost made me cry and I love credits :D
    Coop is amazingly executed, actually, it has best Co Op I've ever seen!
    Graphics are simply amazing! Lighting engine does the job excellent and textures are beautiful.
    It has so much player created maps, so you will NEVER run out of things to
    do!

It's currently 3,74 euros on steam, but only 24 hours more!
    So, HURRY UP AND BUY IT!
  42. Dec 8, 2012
    Portal 2 is an atomic bomb. The single player mode is 2-3 times longer than Portal and offers many new options. The story is richer too.
    Once finished, I immediately played it again!
    Potentials as a series for Portal are vast and we are far from seeing the end.
    The co-op mode is also very entertaining. Creating four portals is a good twist to pass a level!
    Also, the Steam Workshop adds
    a great value, with levels from players all around the globe.
    Portal opens your mind!
  43. Jan 4, 2013
    The first game brought us a whole new perspective to first person shooting, because you don't actually shoot people, but walls. Although it's criticized by some, the second one is completely entertaining and the story is very involving.
    Yes, I said the story is awesome. If you are saying that it is boring, try to complete the game more times, pick up all the details and you will realize
    something: Valve didn't write an obvious and crystal-clear script. The greatest satisfaction about this game is to pay attention at the "Easter-eggs" and at the little genially surprising details.
    If you didn't get it at the first time, try to search on the internet about all the game secrets; you may change your perspective about the story of Portal and Portal 2.
    Oh, and about the levels: well, yea, they are not so difficult, but you will find yourself thinking hard sometimes. However, I didn't find it disturbing with such a great screenplay running along with the puzzles.
  44. Jan 17, 2013
    I simply love this game, I believe this to be one of the best examples of how Modern gaming can go through. The characters you meet are fruitful and they don't feel just like mere robots ! That was already a huge surprise to me , a major improvement to what Portal 1 had . As a puzzle game , it did not disappoint , it simply delivers.. now I just hope Half-Life 3 will complete my love for Valve.
  45. Feb 12, 2013
    One of, if not THE BEST game I have EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE! The Story to the series itself is amazing as it is all hidden and scattered throughout the games.
    I'm top 100 in the world on the PC Leaderboards and I'll continue to keep playing this game for years to come!
  46. Feb 15, 2013
    This game is very different from most puzzle games. It has an amazing story line that I could not argue with, and not only that, but the story is kind of a mystery which Valve hides throughout the game. Not only is it a great puzzle game, but it also ranks in high for a great plat-former. The way you can launch yourself with this device is incredible and the tests are very mind-boggling. My favorite part is that they decided to add a co-op mode to this, but when you beat all the levels you can play some more levels made by you the community. Overall I'd have to say this was the best puzzle game of the year. Expand
  47. May 25, 2013
    greatest puzzle game to date. a brilliant game. its also the funniest game to date. its just hilarious!!!! the puzzles here are just exellent, and their just in the right place, it makes you think, but it doesnt et irritating, and its always possible to find the solution. he game is super funny!!!! there are also a lot of elements that change the puzzles and make them much better!!!
    negatives: the graphics are old!! the game look pretty old. the other problema is that some of the locations feel repetetive and bland.
    beside this little issues this is a really fun and brilliant game!!!!!!
  48. May 20, 2013
    Great game, recommended for anyone. Funny characters, simple yet interesting storyline, highly atmospheric environment. The puzzles mess with your head at first, but as the game progresses, you just start using portals as naturally as walking. Only downside is this game is not very replayable, by its nature. I'd replay the heck out of it otherwise.
  49. May 29, 2013
    A fantastically fun adventure, with awesome characters, a dark and atmospheric environment, interesting storyline. One of my personal favorite games, and valve's best so far. Would recommend to anyone.
  50. Dec 1, 2013
    After the great game that was Portal, Portal 2 takes the original and makes it better in almost every possible way. The single player game is much longer now, there are more challenging puzzles, and there are different types of environments. In addition to Glados, Portal 2 introduces some new characters, the most significant being Wheatley and to say the least he is annoyingly funny. Since its release, Valve have also provided a level editor as a free download so that you can make your own levels and share them on the Steam Workshop to share with others. Portal 2 is also great for multiplayer as you and a friend can play the co-op campaign and this provides some great challenges as you need to work together to solve the puzzles and reach the exit. If you haven't picked up Portal 2 yet, get it. Get your friends to pick it up too so then you can play the co-op campaign as well! Expand
  51. Jul 23, 2013
    To all the people giving bad reviews: did you guys even play the game?? if you did, then you should know it's a masterpiece. If you didn't, the please don't rate.
  52. Sep 5, 2013
    SPROGGER you're an idiot. Nothing to add. What a retarded. I don't understand useless idiots like you, stop bashing great game you retarded. I'm glad that you aren't a professional reviewer because you don't have the intelligence.
  53. Dec 8, 2012
    This is a great game, valve certainly doesn't disappoint. This sequel introduces a whole LOT of more gameplay elements like light bridges, tractor beams, lasers, 3 types of gels etc.

Overall, I give this game a 9.5 for the single player. I take off half a point because the single player campaign feels too scripted. I don't remember the original being this scripted. They literally tell
    you exactly where to put the portals to solve the puzzles. The rest of it is great: Glados is her usual awesome self :) and it feels like there is much more story this time around. I also liked the different environments, some of which are quite retro and reminded me of Fallout. I got it at 75% off on steam. I feel like i'm practically stealing the game at that price.

The game also has a great level editor and zillions of community built maps to keep you busy for practically forever.
  54. gas
    Aug 6, 2012
    Really a great game, one of the best games ever made in my opinion.
    Single player is great, ofc you must like puzzles to like the game, anyway the co op in my opinion is absolutely the best part, i dont remember other multiplayer games where i had more fun then this one.
    A must buy title.
  55. Apr 23, 2011
    I cannot believe the people who complain about the length of Portal 2. I have played sooo many hours of the original and consider myself pretty good at thinking with portals. I timed myself and beat Portal 1 in 1 hour and 5 minutes. Portal 2's single player took me 3 nights of solid 4 hour chunks. Great content the entire time, hilarious, original, and with awesome puzzles. The new gameplay elements like the gels, light bridges, excursion funnels, aerial faith plates, etc. add a lot of cool new stuff to the puzzles. I would love to see some awesome DLC or User Created Content. The only reason I don't give this game a 10/10 is that there is a considerable amount of loading but not so much as to hinder the story and experience very much. Expand
  56. Jul 1, 2011
    A worthy sequel, that sums it all up. The biggest complaint I have is the humor is more low-brow rather than dark and ironic like Portal 1 was. Still...it's a must-play. Valve has put out an incredibly polished and enjoyable game here. Oh, and Cave Johnson totally steals the show!
  57. USG
    Nov 27, 2011
    Each second of Portal 2 is enjoyable and unique, unlike anything else and it offers a superb storyline and amusing dialogue that compliments it. Unfortunately, a problem is that there can be more stellar material in Portal 2. The difficulty starts out slow with nothing really clever and the puzzles and objects that make the gameplay worthwhile is only used near the end of the game. The detail in the game is tremendous which goes back to the same rooms as Portal but in a new manner, except it showcases the new setting for the first half of the game. The new technologies introduced in the game, such as gels, only make it in too late into the campaign. Despite feeling too short, each second invested into the game is worthwhile and fun. The character must escape from the laboratory which breaks up any repetition caused by tests, although the escaping segments offer no difficulty. Each character in the game is alluring, from GLaDOS and Wheatley to cores with insignificant roles at the end. Overall, the campaign of Portal 2 does indeed inspire awe and the co-op mode can add more hours to the game, but it's ultimately too short which is not for its own good. Expand
  58. Mar 7, 2012
    Good sequel to a great game. I can't say I was bedazzled by Portal 2 since the core fundamentals haven't changed from the original game, but there are a few new elements which introduce some cool twists to the puzzles. The ending was indeed lunacy--WOW. Without giving anything away, it is simply an ending worth experiencing. The coop is great fun too. If you enjoyed the first Portal, playing this one is a no-brainer--it is very much the same, only better. Expand
  59. May 14, 2012
    Great to see the second installment of Portal became a full priced game, a great one at that. Portal 2 is simply a well executed game just like many others from Valve. The game stayed true from the first, advancing the puzzles and increasing the game life with a longer campaign and multiplayer modes. A separate Co-op campaign was another great feature. The game features great voice acting, memorable characters, the famous puzzles and great atmosphere. Portal 2 both lives up to the hype and proves itself as an amazing sequel. Expand
  60. Jul 19, 2011
    In many ways it's a lot better than the first Portal.. though it does seem a bit easier on certain levels.. The game's story is crazy and fun! ...and once you think the game is gonna be over... its NOT!! :) Humorous characters and gameplay & the cool new mechanics such as the 'crazy fluids' and shifting environments makes this game that much more Fun!! Co-op mode is very fun and at many times very hilarious!! Performance is really smooth! Portal 2 is a QUADRILLION times better & more appropriate than those mindless & primitive shoot-em-up games such as those pointless duke nukems' or left4dead, those kind suck!!!... anyway, A puzzle game which can test cognitive(intellectual) skills is a game much worthwhile!! A++ for Portal 2 ! I really want to see a Portal 3 in about 2 years!!! Expand
  61. Jul 24, 2011
    The only people giving this game negative are people being hired from other game companies. But in all actuality Portal 2 is a fantastic addition.

The first thing you will notice is the massive graphical improvements. Even on medium settings the game looks beautiful and runs smoothly on any computer that can handle most valve games. I was surprised my 2007 machine was able to run it so
    well. Part of my surprise was how many objects were moving at once. Literally entire levels change shape and don't reduce my framerate. Story wise Portal 2 is very interesting. First you start off trying to take out Glados but when you finally do, a very surprising plot twist occurs. I didn't see it coming, and I am a person who can predict exactly what happens in movies and games within the first few minutes. There are also several easter eggs that reveal more to the story of Portal however some of them are well hidden or are just in places you won't see if you just run through the game. The dialogue is also very entertaining, even better than the first as the characters are more dynamic. The puzzles are, while not mind boggling are much more challenging than the first. You usually won't be playing a level for more than 20 minutes, however the puzzles are on a much larger scale. Sometimes you will even need to backtrack to solve further puzzles. There are also many more puzzle elements than from the first portal. Portal isn't about creating holes and using them to make a box land on a button anymore. It's much more now.

The Co-Op is pretty fun. You may want to play with people you trust though. Unlike other Co-Op games where one person can still handle everything, Portal 2 Co-Op is IMPOSSIBLE to beat without two people working properly together, and Valve designed the co-op levels specifically so people have to work together. When playing with friends Co-op is a blast, even if you are just goofing around. The only downside to the game is, like with the first portal, it is short. On a casual play through I was able to beat the single player in about 8 hours. However, it's still a lot of fun to replay. I clocked in 30 hours in the first portal and that was a shorter game with a lot less features. I'm sure I will find myself playing portal 2 for a long time.
  62. Koo
    Aug 4, 2012
    A really beautiful game that's fun for everyone. It improves on the original Portal in every respect: Story, humour, and puzzles. It's just plain fun to play, and stays with you long after you finish the game. One tip for people playing the game for the first time: Do not use walkthroughs/cheat guides! I used a walkthrough for one puzzle I was stuck on for two days, and I regret it to this day! (1 year later). Any time you get stuck, just take a break from the game, re-think the puzzle, and then get back at it. The puzzle I got stuck on was a common problem for many players, but the solution to it is simple and straightforward (perhaps why I couldn't figure it out!). Fantastic game if you have a PC, PS3 or XBox 360. I can recommend it to everyone. 10/10 Expand
  63. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is nothing short of excellent. My main concern with the reviews I've seen on here is people calling the game short or "slightly longer than the first Portal." I beg to differ. Portal 1 takes about 45 minutes- 1 hour to beat. Portal 2 takes a good 4-5 hours to beat. I'd say that's a pretty substantial increase. The new puzzles are exponentially more difficult than those in Portal 1. The new game elements like the gels and faith plates are awesome. They add so much to the game. The storyline is great, and there are a ton of easter eggs that most people skip over (for example, when you're passing the science experiments, the one with the giant plant growing out of it has Chell's name on it). To be honest, the graphics could have been better. When it comes to PC games, console ports don't really cut it. Other than that, I can't find any other real argument with the game. Expand
  64. May 16, 2012
    For me this is perfection. Gameplay is inovative, fun, just fantastic. Maybe there should be more content, thats the only bad thing. The ending is perfect, voice acting, story. SOmething every other game could only dream of having .
  65. Dec 12, 2012
    This game is just perfect and it actually creates a genre of its own (It is NOT an fps). You can't call yourself a gamer and never played this real masterpiece. This game has real good graphic, stimulates your intelligence (yes you actually require some of it to play and appreciate portal) and is full of humor. I think every kind of gamer will love this game. Another Valve great success..
  66. Oct 30, 2011
    Portal 2 is, without a doubt, great.
    Portal 1 was, for those who don't know, a short puzzle game sold with The Orange Box, and made use of holes in walls. It's hard to explain.

Now, even though Portal 1 was(very) short, that wasn't that bad: The puzzles would have gotten obvious and the standard portal mechanics boring.
    And you might also have heard that Portal 2 is much longer than the
    original, so how did they keep Portal 2 fresh and entertaining?
    Well, VALVe said easy: Throw in some awesome mechanics, more characters, and some great plot twists, and bam, you have a great game.

Portal 2's base mechanics do not differ from the original: The portal gun is back. But, this time around, there are a LOT more things to play around with; Lazers are one, but I'm not going to spoil any more. Let's just say that they're great.
    The story has also improved a lot: Portal 1's story(that did have a lot of backstory) was kind of basic. But, this time around, there is a full-fledged story about Aperture Science, and what happened in the facilities.

Another "Small" addition is Co-Op. Imagine: Instead of 2 portals, 4 to play around with. Believe me: It can get complicated, but if you have a buddy to play with and have voicechat, it'll be a barrel 'o laughs.

If I'm going to tell more in this review, I'll spoil too much... but believe me, together with the Portal 2 Authoring Tools for PC, the new coop, incoming DLC's, and the longer overall game, this is a must by for any gamer.
  67. Jan 27, 2013
    An incredible puzzle game with a hilarious and entertaining story. I was riveted the entire time I played, and while a bit short, it was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had while playing a videogame. It looks great, but more importantly has engaging puzzles and humor that will make this game playable for many years even after it looks like garbage compared to the games of the future.

If you enjoy solving puzzles to any degree then this game is for you. If you were thinking this was an action based shooter simply from looking at a screenshot or two then you might be a sad panda.
  68. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is awesome. Good graphics, good history, good controls, good coop, good maps, good custom maps.... I already playing custom coop maps. Games with mod-tools are the best ever!!!
  69. Feb 16, 2012
    Portal 2 get's everything that made portal incredible, and builds upon it. Characters, the puzzles themselves, length, depth, and even originality of design. A lot of other game series do this successfully as well, however when a game based off an entirely original concept does it. It deserves even more praise. Masterpiece.
  70. Mar 25, 2012
    I really did not think that they could improve over the first Portal game, but let me tell you... I was so very wrong. Portal 2 improves on almost everything that the first one did right and touches you in a way that you never imagined your Weighted Companion Cube could.
  71. Mar 19, 2012
    Very good game and improvements over Portal due to better graphics, more complex maps, and a better plot. The newly added features such as gels and coop modes really made the game much better to play. However, I took one mark off for day-one dlcs.
  72. Apr 21, 2011
    I absolutely loved this game. Everything from the graphics to the sarcastic humor of GlaDOS. No matter what the raging says, don't listen to them. This is a great game!
  73. Apr 22, 2011
    Totally excellent game. It lived up to all expectations and more--the game is clever, funny, and just as its predecessor is delightfully challenging without being impossibly frustrating. GLaDOS comes back with her brilliantly sinister and passive-aggressive attitude and her interactions with Chell are hilarious. I already know this is my favorite game of the year; it can't be topped.
  74. Oct 8, 2011
    Great story, GREAT characters, and great music. It's somewhat short (finished single player in 6 hours), but I don't see that as a con really - it's a puzzle game and ended right when it should have ended. It didn't end too soon, or drag on... just the perfect timing really.

Everything about this game is just done with a lot of polish.

I only recently finished it (got it on a $15 sale),
    but if I knew it would have been this good I would have bought it on release. This will be a game that will be remembered throughout the times. Expand
  75. Jul 22, 2012
    Obviously a 10/10. Tied with Skyrim for GOTY in my opinion. The story is amazing. The voice acting is amazing. The game also runs a bit smoother and seems a fair bit more polished than the original. And after you finish the game, co-op awaits you and a friend. Co-op is not just some tacked-on BS. It can stand up on its own. I got stuck a few times but I never had to cheat. Overall I could not have asked for more. I'd give it 11/10 if I could. Expand
  76. Dec 23, 2011
    Now that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically and in the complexity of the puzzles. Oftentimes I would be bashing my head up against the wall trying to pull off complex stunts like in Portal I, when the solution would be much less about reflexes and much more about strategy. Not to mention that the storyline and voice acting are top notch. This is a game that is nearly literature in its depth, where you will actually feel emotionally moved and interested in the backstory and in the characters. However I was moved by GLADOS in the first Portal, the sequel expands this greatly. Really, if I was ever going to complain it would have been to say that $50 + DLC costs is a high price to pay for such a short experience, but now that it is cheaper I would say that this is the perfect experience for the perfect price. Expand
  77. Apr 30, 2011
    It's an excellent game. The Single Player is pretty long 7-10 hours. I must say the dialogues are fantastic and hilarious. Sometimes i did stop playing just to hear Wheatly talk. I have finished it 3 times and I'm still not tired of the dialogues. I will start playing coop soon , and I'm very happy that there is a whole new story in cooperative play! I will start creating maps soon and I'm really excited! I can keep myself entertained for weeks with custom maps. I'll be honest it's the best game of 2011 for me. Excellent job Valve! 10/10 Expand
  78. May 4, 2011
    This is the Only game which i have ever played which tops the experience of portal 1. It has such an amazing scale of interaction with the player and it really does make you feel like you're there. There are some games which you can play but not experience and live so when youve played it you dont remember it. Portal 2 Completely overwhelms that by giving you an almost emotional attachment with the characters. When i played i really did fel angry at the betrayals and guilty for assuming incorrectly about characters. At the end there was only one thought that went through my head and that was 'i want to go back...NOW'. the gameplay has topped itself by making you constantly think and hope throughout the puzzles and the moment when your brain just 'clicks' into realisation gives you an amazing feeling of smugness. The graphics are amazing too with a huge improvement over portal 1 thereby making the game even more captivating. The multiplayer is amazing with a freind or a stranger since theres still the moment of realisation but then you are still feeling like you're beating the other player to completeing the puzzle. In conclusion i am hoping that the map maker that they are supposedly producing is soon released because that would be the only thing needed to keep players captivated for many more years.....or until Half-Life: episode 3 is released :) Expand
  79. Jul 6, 2011
    Put it this way... I absolutely hate all puzzle games. I hate them with a passion that burns like your granny's cystitis. I'd rather pull your teeth out then use them to pull my teeth out than play one.... apart from Portal 2. Okay, so it's replayability is precisely zero, but good lord, is it good on the first run or what? The style is amazing, it gets the brain going without making you want to put your head through a hole in the wall you'd previously made with the head of the game designer, and the compulsion to continue to the next test is likely to cause some seriously bleary eyes at work. Fair enough, if you really can't stomach the idea of a fairly slow moving game that involves more grey cells than it requires to left click then type "lol nub pwnt" (or words to that effect) then avoid this like it's Fukushima Daiichi, but if you want a really unique (excludes the original Portal... obviously), absorbing, and just downright cool game, buy this. 9/10... only due to lack of replayability, the rest is beyond criticism. Expand
  80. May 10, 2011
    I agree with many of you in that Valve; did it again; in making another great game. For some of you; Valve created Steam; and Steam is on PC; so some of you say that it was ported from console system; the answer is no. Steam is much older than xbox 360 and ps3; and that it was originally built on a pc; eventually expanded it to console systems. I wont tell the end of the game; but it is one; that will astonish you. Expand
  81. Aug 26, 2012
    Love glados passive agressive comments, wheatley thats designed to be a moron ;). Maybe there are games out there that will give you more playtime hours , bigger challenges, better graphic etc. But i really doubt that there's even one that will put smile on your face more times then Portal 2.
  82. Dec 9, 2011
    There's really nothing I can add to the 2400 other reviews here. Portal 2 is really amazing, both in single player and co-op. One should really play Portal first, to get the appropriate context (and a slightly more gentle introduction to the portal mechanics).

The voice acting, visuals, and story are all extremely good, and of course the gameplay is classic Portal with some fun new additions.
  83. May 16, 2012
    Game is brilliant. You have to think, you have deep climate and smart humour. Playing Portal 2 I had some minor irritations (a brief feeling of being forced into prolonged series of tests, generally against the plot, just to make game-play longer), but I instantly forget them just when the outstandingly high level of humour appeared again and again and again... :D Sentenced like "Bit bigger than I expected. Not going to be able to just, you know, push it over. Have to apply some cleverness" or "I'm in space" are just unforgettable :D And the ending... OH. MY. GOD. :D

Cant wait for Portal 3!
  84. Jul 6, 2011
    The combined experience of the singleplayer and multiplayer campaigns is, quite simply, a prime example of why Video Games can be considered a respectable entertainment medium. Delightful, funny, challenging, and rewarding from beginning to end, Portal 2 offers you and a friend an unforgettable journey through the world of Aperture Science.
  85. May 29, 2011
    This is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twists which will make you scratch your head and keep playing just to see what's going on; and new gameplay devices are introduced smoothly and expertly, never overwhelming the player. It's also interesting to see how Valve handled co-op mode: it's a whole new campaign by itself, and it features an indicator system that may not be as effective as using an actual headset, but it's surprisingly functional all the same. All in all, there's nothing wrong to be found here... Unless you're so spoiled about game length to the point that 16 hours devoted to high quality gaming isn't as good as 40 hours managing inventory just so you can endure another 40 hours of medieval fantasy cliches. Then, and only then, Portal 2 isn't the game for you. Expand
  86. Jun 3, 2011
    What a fantastic game! One of Valves best, no doubt. It is well executed like the first, and unlike other sequels. The sounds, the artwork, the conception, all simply beautiful and magnificent as the first. On a personal note I preferred the stereotypical Apeture Labs testing setting, but I suppose they didn't make the game for me. I give it a ten out of ten with flying colors!
  87. Nov 23, 2011
    As perfect as it gets for a FPP (First Person PortalGun). The only flaw this has is that it isn't long enough. The Co-op playing is very good but also too short. It's beautifully design and rendered, brilliant level designs and has an excellent story with some top notch dialogue and voice-overs especially by Stephen Merchant and the great J.K. Simmons. Amazing stuff.
  88. Jun 7, 2011
    Valve does it again, should I say. Portal 2 does everything it was expected to do, and even more. It is an excellent game, innovative and mind-bending experience, that will make you play the single player through at least twice. The co-op was also something amazing, making the game even more fun, because is there anything more fun than playing with your friends? The graphics are what you expect from the Source-engine with a bit more detail. Portal 2 is a must buy, if you want to support people who know how to make quality games. Expand
  89. Jun 10, 2011
    This game really is a work of art. Everything from the controls, to the graphics (which I think look fantastic for this kind of game) and even the levels. The levels feel challenging, but not to the point where you may think it's impossible. The VO is absolutely stunning. Everything in this game is amazing! It's also made by Valve who are my favourite video game developers of all time. This is an absolute must buy for all ages. Expand
  90. Jun 12, 2011
    Incredible puzzle game. Humorous, clever, and just plain fun. I read people talking about beating the game in 4 hours: I think they weren't paying attention. The dialog alone takes up several hours, and speeding through this game makes you really miss out on the experience. It took me probably about 9 or so hours to clear the single player, still going through the co-op as I write this. Basically, if you liked Portal 1, Portal 2 is the better, longer, and more clever version. Expand
  91. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Genial! even above the expectations! really nice the new tools inside the test chambers! Outstanding story!
    I think it's flawless. Really hilarious too. Valve company carried out a great job
  92. Jun 14, 2011
    One of the best games of this year. Interesting plot, realistic characters (excellent voice acting), quite good graphics and music. Only one defect: in my opinion there was not much "thinking by portals" (little too easy riddles). After all it's solid game, which can be played both solo and co-op (together something about 15h of playing). 10/10
  93. Jun 17, 2011
    Great game. Took me ten hours. Some of the puzzles actually ... uhh... puzzled me?Unfortunately, as with all puzzle games, no replay value at all. Didn't get old for me at all, I found it fun all the way through tenth hour. I can't wait to play the co-op part of the game. That should be fun. But i agree that the game is good to rent for a weekend and play co-op but not worth fifty bucks. GLADOS and Wheatly were... ummm... interesting. Their humor was the kind that you can smile at but not any LOL material there. Needs a level editor where you can make your own puzzles and post them online for others to solve. THAT would make the game worth a lot more than 50 bucks for me. And a question to valve, "Where is HL2EP3??" (that last question did not affect my rating) Expand
  94. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although I miss GLaDOS's cake obsession and the Aperture Science High Energy Pellet, I understand what happened to them. So regardless Valve's Portal 2 is an extremely well done sequel to, what turned out to become, the best test of a physics system ever. It not only matched it's predecessor, but surpassed it in the way of length, complexity, graphics detail, story depth, and overall gameplay. It is well thought out, well polished, and addictive. As of now, it's still expensive, but it's worth every penny. So, in short. Portal 2, AWESOME GAME!!!
    Nuff said.
  95. Jun 22, 2011
    This game was the best game I've ever played. I thought I was watching a movie. I thought I was Chell. Why isn't my life this cool? Enough said. Best Game of 2011 right here.
  96. Jun 23, 2011
    portal 2 is very cool as you know it will be. don't trust the bad reviews for this game! trust the good ones! (lazy review with no caps). it has co-op, great story, awesome graphics, awesome futuristic settings, and lots of puzzles that you can expect from the last game. simply one of the best game of 2011. they removed annoying puzzles like the energy orb that forces you to wait until it's settled up with the annoying receiver stuff, and add more new elements like the gel that will speed up your character, or jump like almost zero gravity, and even create portals in impossible places! the game also adds cooperative campaign which you and your friend can participate and complete together. the greatest part of the cooperative campaign is that there is 100% team work. it's perfectly executed. but the annoying part is that if your friend is stupid and can't think with portals. now the thing that lacks on this game is the single player is a little short. and it's a puzzle game. once you know how to solve each of every levels in portal 2, i bet you will complete this game in only 4 hours. and you suffer yourself like 12-13 hours to beat this game and if you don't know how to beat the s*** out of the puzzle you will ended up looking on youtube. shamefully, there are no extras in this game. almost no replay value. no interesting secret stuff. and if you start playing it with cheats, you better end the game normally. i guess the only effort ending the game is that you can use cheats later. so that's my review on portal 2. a score of [ 9.6 ] judging all the stuff above that pisses me off Expand
  97. Jun 23, 2011
    Incredible game. A single player mode you'll never forget. Co-op is tons of fun with friends and microphones. I highly recommend this game. The puzzles are just right, not too hard, not too easy. I can't wait for the new DLC!!! 10/10
  98. Jun 23, 2011
    The most fun game I ever played.Ð
  99. Jun 23, 2011
    Portal is very very good game and Portal 2? Excellent, you must play it. It's very very good game (and sometimes hard :-) Buy it now, i know what am i saying. Simply good-est game from Valve i ever seen before. My score is 10/10.
  100. Jun 23, 2011
    Portal 2 follows in the same vein as the first with a slow start progressing into more difficult puzzles with some high-paced portions strewn throughout. The puzzles range from cake (is a lie) to "let's take a step back and think" but I was disappointed they were not more timing-based offerings. The story was predictable, but incredibly well-written and witty; The characters love-able and at times, downright hilarious. I really enjoyed the single-player mode and then you find out there's more to do in the co-op mode. 9/10 Expand

1. Oct 20, 2011