8.7

1. May 22, 2012
    Simply the best game i played this year. Cool gameplay, mind blown, great storyline... everything is awesome except the truth that the story mode ends really fast, but since it have co-op mode, well who cares about how short the story is?! the main fun in this game is solving puzzles, with incredible portal gun, and you can enjoy it together with your dearest friend, and even you can make the hardest puzzles yourself and let people try it. So what do you think? do i have to put lesser score just because it have short story line?? HELL NO! Expand
  2. May 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is really just ONE thing, thats not awesome about this game. Spoiler: you die when you fall off the track. Whats the purpose of long-fall-boots again? just save you when its good with the progress? But then on the other hand: deep holes might also include spikes. and you are not save from them. Besides that: falling of the track is not the common way to die in Portal2. That would be shot through (adorable) turrets. Or get grilled by lasers. Falling of is just... stupid. It really doesn´t happen if you just take a little bit attention. And the rest of the game is just... perfect. Expand
  3. Jun 8, 2012
    There are few games that come around like Portal 2. A genius mechanic comes to an amazing mind, and is used the best ways one could. The people at Valve have created a game that topped any game I have ever played before in my entire life. The writing, graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, voice acting, lasting appeal and replay value; Portal 2 is a gem. A priceless gem. I just want to get this out there. We've all thought up of the idea of Portal befrore. Don't try to hide it. We've seen it on TV, thought about and made it funny when we were in 2nd grade, and it HAS been seen on shows like Looney Toons and Ed, Edd, n' Eddy. But none of us had put the concept into action. So when Valve did some observing, it hit them, and they created one of the greatest games ever made. Valve knows how to make a sequel. Other game deveelopers just decide to take the formula, and slap it onto the next game. But Portal does more than that. They added a beeter story, prettier graphics, and even made it funny. Valve knows how to make us feel good. They added Wheatley, one of the greatest characters ever to be apart of a video game. He is voiced excellently by british funny man Stephen Merchant, and I can't get enough of him. Sure, GLaDOS has some lines too, but Whetaley ultimatley steals the show. The classic portal gun is back, but 3 new mecahanics freshen up the experience. This time, there are 3 different gels to mess around with and help you finish the test chamber. The blue gell makes you bounce, the orange gell makes you speedy so you can fly off rails, and white gell allows you to shoot portals on previously portal resistant sufaces. Top that with excellent design an amazing difficulty curve and countless suprises in the chambers, you can't help but admire the beauty in it all. Since the events of Portal 1, aoerture science has been abandoned for decades, and there are a lot of green plants growing everywhere. GLaDOS will be moving panels, and tryong to clean the place up, and what she will do to try and kill you is unpredictable. You will not only hear GLaDOS and Wheatley throughout though. Even the narrator in aperture has things to say to you. The narrator is not always the same voice. I could be some one random, or it could be Cave Johnson, the founder of aperture himself. The variety is quit welcome. The puzzels themselves can have you thinking a lot. It's not trail and error here. It might look real hard at first, but yoiu'll never feel left behind because the difficulty increases at a steady rate throughout. The single player campagin can last about 5-7 hours, depending weather or not you rush. Then there's Co-Op. If you're friend is a socially stubborn douche, nothing will work out here. If someone just decides to stand in the corner and do nothing after an argument, you can't do anything. You HAVE to get along with your partner. It will take you thinking, team-work and trust to get through each chamber, and while it might stress you out sometimes, as the difficulty is tuned up, it is just as great as the campagin. Speaking of goin g through test chambers, that's the game's one problem. The loading screens pop up after every test chamber, change of enviorment and somtimes cutscene. They aren't too long, but they pop up frquenly, especially in the begining. But that won't stop Portal 2 from being one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life. It is so inventive and genius, you'll think about it for days. I don't understand why you're still reading this review. Go out and but Portal 2 NOW!!! You won't regret it. Expand
  4. Jun 6, 2012
    An Instant classic!
    Why you no have this game?!
    Have not played the single player but if it is at lest as good as the Co-Op it will be epic beyond all words. Get one of your friends and rock this Co-Op because if you do not your going to miss out on some high quality gaming goodness. IMPORTANT: This game is not a clone of anything. It is something truly original. Really original games are
    a rare thing today.

This requires critical thinking, true cooperation, problem solving and not only do you feel like you have learned something (Something rare in games as of late) but also you do not feel like you are over your head. This is mainly due to the clever uses of humor at just the right times. Also has something that you might not expect for a game like this....a plot that is well thought out. Not only in the Co-Op but also the single player game as well. Both the Single player and Co-Op have their own separate storylines so in short you have two games in one....kind of.

My point is BUY THIS GAME, it is worth your time and money.
    It is better over the first Portal.

Go get it now.
  5. peb
    Apr 18, 2012
    I'm bothered by people who say this game is not as good as the first due to "lack of cake" or new characters. The reason why this game is at least as good as the first is that it takes enough from the previous universe without running those old memes into the ground (i.e. cake) and expands it credibly without overstretching. I'm not a fan of humorous sidekicks in games but to me Wheatley is undoubtedly the funniest sidekick ever. Yes, ever. The universe created here is outrageous but also rich with detail that the 1st game wasn't long enough to satisfy. This was by far the best game in 2011 and is up there with another Valve classic, Half-Life 2, as the best game they've ever done. Expand
  6. Apr 22, 2012
    I've never been a puzzle games fun but i can say i regretted not buying it sooner, anyway as the previous Portal this game will reveal a lot of secrets hidden inside Aperture, be ready to more puzzles then you imagine !
    Also you will enjoy the amazing storyline while doing science !
  7. Apr 25, 2012
    I didn't play the first Portal until early 2012, but it didn't take long to see that the Portal-games are of excellent quality.

The first game is great, but Portal 2 is a really polished version, with the best humor I've seen in a game all my life. The history is great, the puzzle are challenging - but not too challenging.

10/10 from me!
  8. May 4, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. The only issue I have with it is that it lags on my computer. It seems you need a really good computer to play this game. But thats Valve games for you.
  9. May 5, 2012
    Excellent, amazing, wonderful. It gave me more fun that any other game. I recommend you to play co-op with foreigners or at least people you don't know.
  10. May 9, 2012
    Portal 2 is simply the best game of the Valve, and It's the best game I ever player. It is clever, funny and a masterpiece. Following the story of the previous game, It haves even better plot than the first Portal game. And the original technology of Aperture Science is even better with some new turrets and mechanics. It haves even the Co- op mode which is even better because of the teamwork, it makes the game more fun. Expand
  11. May 10, 2012
    For me is Portal 2 one of the best game ever. Intelligent, funny and when you play it with your friend in CO-OP mode, that's something unforgettable!
  12. May 10, 2012
    So good. The whole game I was chuckling at the silly narration. However, that silly talk and the two characters we listened to actually ended up really pulling me into the story. I only realized this when the game was almost over. Very well done to tell me a story and get me involved without me even knowing it. I am already replaying the game again, love the ending sequence.
  13. May 12, 2012
    Portal 2 is amazing. There's not really any other way to describe it. The people that are complaining that it sucks either: 1) Are retarded, 2) Mistakenly thought the this was Portal: The Flash Version, 3) Are addicted to FPS, or 4) Are retarded. The only real complaint I can come up with is... um... the.. well... you see... the loading screens come up to often! Yeah! I don't want to have to wait 7 seconds between each puzzle, I want to keep playing! Yeah... Seriously though, this game is the funniest, most addicting, interesting, thinking, game in the world. It runs smoothly too! My 3 year old laptop with an Intel graphics card and a Core 2 Duo ran this without a hitch, even if it was on minimum graphics mode. This is impressive because the graphics card crashes when I watch a YouTube video at 360p full screen. I'm not kidding. Especially since it's only $7 (at the time of this writing), there is no reason you shouldn't get it. Expand
  14. May 18, 2012
    I cannot describe how much fun i had while playing this game, to all of you out there wondering if you should buy this game or not, let me tell you this, simply put, one of the greatest games ever made, everything is EXCELLENT, the sound, the story, the game play, the graphics, this is game is a MUST have.
  15. May 15, 2012
    A Great game with some of the best voice acting performances I have ever seen or heard. The only blemish on this game is the fairly useless co-op (perhaps they will allow people to build co-op levels?) and the game feeling like an extended edition of Portal 1 with the mid section of the game dragging the game down a bit. But still, an overall fantastic game. And with the map editor now released has endless play for those that love puzzles. Expand
  16. May 17, 2012
    Incredible! You continue on with the play-ability of Portal add more variables, add better graphics, the evolution of AI, Physics, and It will take you to a world that is truly amazing! And the co-op is on a different scale. 10 on 10
  17. May 18, 2012
    Probably will be hailed as one of the most greatest puzzle game, Portal 2 is a breakthrough for the genre. The new features (such as the gels) and coop mode, upgrade the game to a whole new. Breakthrough within a breakthrough, Portal 2 will be remembered for years to come.
  18. Dec 15, 2012
    A masterpiece. One of the best games I've ever played in my life. It manages to be both dark and atmospheric while maintaining a great dry humor. The gameplay itself is fantastic and very original - it's one of those games that makes YOU feel clever for solving the puzzles.
  19. May 24, 2012
    The humor is brilliant. I suggest to play Portal 1 as an intro for Portal 2. Co-op is simply brilliant and fun, especially the 'emotes' (the rock-paper-scissors made me laugh). Now with the Perpetual Testing Initiative it gets even more challenging.
  20. Jul 19, 2013
    One of the best games ever made, certainly one of the best from the modern gaming era. Amazing ambiance, hilarious and sometimes deep/touching story. It has some good puzzles, but I feel like overall its an interactive story leaning more into the adventure genre.

Portal 2 offers a lot of playtime with some replayability. Its a game you'll love and the quotes will get stuck in your head.

It may be a little too smart or not pretentious enough for some people. I'm not really sure why anyone would give this game a negative review, except to arbitrarily counter all the positive ones.
  21. Mar 9, 2013
    This is a fantastic game and way better than the first one in most cases. First of all the game now has a story! And not just any story a pretty good one. And yea there was a bit story in the end of the first game, but in the start it wasn't really anything but test solving. Speaking about the tests they've also become way more interesting and challenging than in the first game. There have been added lots of new things to make the game more interesting like gels and lasers. Besides that the game also has a co-op mode, which is extremely fun to play with your freinds, especially when you're just trolling each other. And lastly the "jokes" or rather insults that GlaDos come up with are so much fun in this game and really adds the missing component to make this one of the best games ever. Expand
  22. May 30, 2012
    What can I say? I loved this game because it was funny, a worthy sequel and a truly enchanting experience. If you don't have this game, but you have the money, by all means get it. It's a beautiful visual journey that captures the history of Aperture Science and what could have been. There is charming music, as in the original. Charming? More like AWESOME. The only problem I had was that the levels were either ridiculously hard or brain-splatteringly easy. There was no gentle increase, more like a sharp jolt. Expand
  23. Jun 1, 2012
    Good characters, well designed puzzles, good voice acting. Multiplayer was a fun new twist and was very refreshing after the singleplayer campaign. Biggest issues with the game stem from it being too short (20 hours with single+multi complete) and puzzles being relatively easy. Also no challenge maps was a bummer, but the steamworks player-made map thing has sated my desire for hard puzzles.
  24. Jan 5, 2014
    This is probably best puzzle game ever!! Each puzzle is really well designed which give game unique experience. As Valve started to release really bad titles like L4D didn't expect much from them anymore. I'm glad I was wrong. Portal 2 is pure awesomeness in bot singleplayer and coop modes!
  25. Jun 17, 2012
    Excellent! Almost can't even put a value on it. Superb writing, story, and humor. Awesome environments and animations. Wonderful gameplay. Some of the new testing components got me annoyed. Just so much goodness...
  26. Jun 9, 2012
    This is TOTALLY A GO! Very good story line, amazing AI(Artificial Intelligence), Amazing graphics, amazing art, very detailed puzzles, very good lighting style, its one of the best physics games out there! You cannot bypass this game! If you're the type that likes puzzle games, but yet have good story line, then this is the game for you. Valve really did good with this game.
  27. Jun 12, 2012
    Great sequel to the first one. This game is very different from others, this is a very strategic and quite funny game. I recommend this to anyone and everyone who enjoys a great challenge and a good laugh!
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    Portal 2 takes Portal and exceeds the awesomeness they made in the first game. It's a fact that Valve can still troll their userbase for 5 months and still make a great game!
  29. Jun 18, 2012
    Valve has out-done them selves. This game shows the future of valve games. The length of the game is longer than the first and the graphics are a big improvement. the story is hilarious, especially with the company of wheatly; a silly little robot that has no idea what he's doing and of course GlaDos trying to bring you down along the way.
  30. Jun 19, 2012
    Portal 2 is brilliant, just brilliant. It haves memorable story and characters, and the same unique and great gameplay. SIngle player experience is so great, that you will be impressed from the outstanding story. Not just that, even multiplayer is excellent, playing co-op is rewarding. Just buy it, and you will see how awesome it is!
  31. Jul 5, 2012
    Portal 2 is an incredible breath of fresh air from the monotonous shooters and RPG games being churned out nowadays. These people who are "giving the game a 1 to offset the 'Valve fanboys'" need to grow up. Not every game needs to have a bunch of killing and cursing to be "funny" or "adult oriented". If the puzzles weren't challenging for you, then that's great. That means you're pretty damn smart and you should go on to do great things, instead of bashing a game on the internet. You wanna know why this got game of the year? Because it's DIFFERENT. Because it doesn't follow the set-in-stone formula of "bad guys have a bomb; go kill bad guys; play multiplayer". This game actually has a story line that makes you feel attached to it. Can't say that I've felt that way towards a game in years. I can honestly say, for the first time in my 21 years of gaming, that I am LOOKING FORWARD to DLC. As long as it pertains to the original story then it's going to be great. Expand
  32. Jul 15, 2012
    First time I give 10/10, I grabbed this game for 4 EURs and was one of a most engaging gaming experience I had in years. Negatives are about shortness or easiness of story line, but since game has extras and community maps its actually infinite challenging fun therefore anyone giving it less than 10.0 isn't familiar with game mechanics enough. Do some research before bashing. Thanks.
  33. Jun 22, 2012
    Simply a 10/10. Even if my computer is crap when it comes to these kind of games, I'm still stunned at its quality, which is amazing. The amount of upgrades this game received compared to the original is endless, and the final boss is one of the most epic bosses ever.
  34. Jun 24, 2012
    This has to be one of the best games of all time. Super original premise (although it is a sequel), the story is amazing and the characters are deep. The enviroment is masterfully put together. The multiplayer mode ads a huge amount of content to enjoy and you can even make your own test chambers! Really this game is a must buy to anyone of all ages.
  35. Jul 11, 2012
    302 people don't even know what a gorgeous game is! One of the best games I have ever played. That's normal because Valve is in it. All I can say is that Portal 2 is my fourth best game on the list!
  36. Jul 12, 2012
    It's something for everyone. Hours of endless fun with the new custom maps. Co op is a fantastic way to socialise as it is very casual and laid back, however it challenges the mind aswell with its hard puzzles.
  37. Jul 28, 2013
    The best Valve game (yes, better than HL2!). This game is an absolute joy from start to end, with humorous and puzzling situations. If you haven't played the first one... Well still do that, but you HAVE to play this one IMMEDIATELY after!
  38. Dec 13, 2012
    Portal 2 takes the awesome premise and gameplay of the original and incorporates it into a shiny new game, complete with a full-length singleplayer game, new co-op modes, a more developed story, and impressive new graphics and level design. It thereby answers most of the criticisms of the first game without feeling like simply a remake of it. This game has lost much of the dark humor and mystery of its predecessor in favor of a more epic journey mixed with lots of witty and absurd humor. Overall I think it did a good job of taking the original concepts of Portal to the next level and creating a game experience that felt familiar without being stale. Expand
  39. Jul 21, 2012
    This gam doesn't get much better. The concepts are awesome, the graphics are just as good, and the story line is amazing. It's even better now that you can make your own levels on Steam Community. If you don't have it, get it. You're money will be well spent if you buy this game.
  40. Aug 6, 2012
    Combine the brilliant storytelling of Half-Life and add insanely witty humor with mind bending puzzles based on an outstanding concept. You can't go wrong with Portal 2.
  41. Aug 8, 2012
    This game was a joy to play, singleplayer as well as multiplayer, the crazy little emotes the robots do are hilarious, the puzzles are challenging and fun, definitely worth the money.
  42. Aug 7, 2012
    AMAZING game. Great plot, great characters, great gameplay. All around an awesome game. The only negative I could think of was that some of the levels, even later in the game, were too easy. I'd give it a 9.9 if I could. I refuse to give out tens though, because no game is perfect ;)
  43. Aug 9, 2012
    I don't usually like first person games because they're all about shooting things and being quick about it (and I'm bad at that!). Both Portal games are favorites, because they're really, really, good puzzle games. The puzzles are great and interesting, and using portals is an awesome and fun way of going about it. There are many good point and click adventures, many good sidescrolling puzzle-games, but why aren't there more games like this!? Expand
  44. Aug 11, 2012
    the best puzzler of all time. that's Portal 2 in a nutshell. this sequel does justice to the original and then surpasses it in every way from the graphics to the physics to the puzzles themselves. the games length is certainly greater than the original with heaps of puzzles. the games storyline is great clearing up a lot of mystery behind the series as well as introducing new characters. the humour is brilliant with some moments which really made me laugh and the game is littered with easter eggs and references. the game is fun from beginning to end and leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment when you complete a puzzle. the multi-player is a nice touch to the game with completely different to the single player whilst introducing more characters and a new storyline with the puzzles forcing you to cooperate with your partner. you must get this game now no questions asked Expand
  45. Aug 12, 2012
    I'm not quite sure what I was expecting from this game, but it wasn't this. This game builds perfectly off the original. It expands on the original game mechanics, puzzles, world and story in exactly the right way to make it feel like its own game while keeping all the reasons I loved Portal.
  46. Aug 13, 2012
    Portal's 2 unique design and mind blowing puzzles, are not a surprise. But the new great characters, and the spectacular story make this game a truly masterpiece. I can't say It's perfect, but I can say It's amazing. Both, single player and multi player are great. And, every moment in this game is funny, dramatic and terrific, mixed with the outstanding soundtrack and with the top notch voice acting. Sometimes co-op may be complicated, example, when you're friend makes mistakes, or something like that, but never, ever can't brake your fun, and makes your fun highly more. 98 out of 100 Expand
  47. Aug 31, 2012
    Portal 2 is Valve's MASTERPIECE
    Amazing humour, lots of challanges, 10 times better than the first one
    its just great, When I was playing through this game I was speechless
    But valve, even if you cant count to 3.....
    if you learn how to, make the next one muuuuuuuuch longer I never want the campain to finish
  48. Sep 9, 2012
    The best game i have played by far, the funniest most exciting experience, good insight to the game and well executed everything they set out to do, i would of rated it somewhere between 8-9 if it weren't for the update in which you could make your own levels which basically put icing on that goddamn cake.
  49. Nov 29, 2012
    One of the best games ever made. The concept behind it is simple, but very addictive. The game looks very good. The artworkteam has done their job right, the facility looks EPIC, and you are constantly trying to figure out why it looks the way it looks. The storyline is amusing and Valve got the best voiceactors for this game that you can imagine. The puzzels are what the game is all about, and very challenging, yet definetly not to difficult. Also try playing multiplayer, it adds a whole new dimension to the game, and teaches you to think even more different, not with 2, but with 4 portals. Expand
  50. Sep 21, 2012
    Great story and funny characters, great voice-work too. The source engine might be 7 years old but the game still looks good enough. The single-player is long enough and entertaining until the end. The COOP mode is innovative and lots of fun to play. Then there is 200.000 More custom levels to play.
  51. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome game, especially if you loved or played Portal 1. This game is far longer and I wouldn't say it is as revolutionary as the first one but it does add large amounts of new fun and interesting content. Love the voice acting. Only complaint is that it can hurt your eyes a little in the later parts of the game. The people who have played it will know what I'm talking about...Sometimes the wall you need to see is not very visible... Expand
  52. Jul 18, 2013
    I'm absolutely taken aback at just how good this game is. I finished the first Portal in just under 2 days, and loved every second of it. Portal 2 is leaps and bounds better than Portal 1, and I didn't think that would have been possible. One of the best games I have ever played, and likely ever will.
  53. Jan 3, 2013
    The original Portal was a great deal because even through it was short and had no multiplayer or replay value, it came bundled in the Orange Box. Portal 2 takes the game in a more comical direction with more characters and a stronger narrative, but doesn't expand much on the original's gameplay. There is a co-op mode but it's only worth playing through once, and with the main campaign clocking in at 10 hours tops, you're looking at best 20 hours of gameplay for $20. This is a good deal in my mind but others might be expecting more from Valve. Since it's release the price has dropped significantly and Workshop integration has been added resulting in easy access to thousands of custom maps. Another must-play from Valve. Expand
  54. Oct 30, 2012
    I loved the first Portal so I had to get the second, its an excellent game, it offers more than the first and the humor is spot on, there is not so much I can say about it, the puzzles are great although I found most of them a little too easy and I think some people did complain over that but nevertheless fun, I love Stephen Merchant's brilliant and witty voice acting as Wheatley, reminds me so much of Darren Lamb and that's great. If you want a great game, great humor and puzzles to get that brain going then get Portal 2, you will not be disappointed Expand
  55. Mar 16, 2014
    One of the best games ever created. It is unlike anything you've played before (unless you've played Portal 1). This is a unique game that really puts your brain to work with it's puzzle-type stages. The story is fantastic and hilarious. This is Valves best game IMO. It also has endless replay value due to Steam Workshop.
  56. Dec 2, 2012
    Es un excelente juego tanto en single player, como en cooperativo, recomendado para aquellas personas que les juste jugar con su pareja ya que es muy entretenido y un juego sano que permite jugar con la habilidad mental de los participantes.
  57. Nov 26, 2012
    I found Portal 2 the best game I have ever played. Have read some of the negative reviews here and they are all without any basis in reality. The game is not short at all, It is endless, check out some of the insane community chambers if you doubt me. The story mode is exactly as long as it needs to be, for a game of this type. The story sits within the game like a parable that lends some form of sanity to the madness of sitting and doing these fun little brain teasers, if it was any longer it would become stale. Where is the rule that longer is better? I played through Portal 2 with my PC plugged into my TV so my kids (5 and 8 yr old girls) could sit and watch, and they loved it too, "Daddy please play Portal 2 so we can watch", if that isn't the most ringing endorsement for a game I don't know what is, very few games are so good that people will happily sit and watch YOU play. Enjoy! Expand
  58. Dec 29, 2012
    Very good puzzle game, and took me almost 9 hours to finish first run through. If you enjoyed puzzle in portal 1, you will like the longer version of portal 2. Get this when it goes on sale at $5.
  59. Jan 26, 2013
    I played the first Portal and enjoyed its uniqueness, but when the Portal 2 was announced I had no interest in it, assuming it was just going to be a expansion type of sequel. However, not only was my assumption wrong, it was one of the most ignorant things I ever thought of. Portal 2 was in my opinion the best game of 2011 and will be in my top 5 games for years to come. Whoever wrote the script in this game is absolutely a comical genius. Every bit of dialogue is original, humorous and you may sometimes find yourself staying put just so you can hear the rest. The graphics are great, it still uses the ol' source engine, but the graphics and game play are quite flawless.The characters in this game are very memorable because their unique personalities and you are even able to see each emotion just based on facial movement. This game is a must-have. It doesn't matter if you are casual or hardcore, whether you're young or old, it is worth the money Expand
  60. Dec 8, 2012
    A Really good Valve game, i really liked it. Just ignore what them low-score trolls say, this game is great. Re-playability isn't the best ever, as you already know the jokes and puzzles. But luckily there's the PTI, which allows you to get community maps and make portal an infinite game. Also, if you have a friend who also has this game, you can play co-op, with of course GLaDOS, and some death-related jokes etc. It's also quite funny when you're in a Faith plate test, and you have to grab a cube. And just after your friend gets the cube, he falls in the water. Cracks me up for couple of minutes. Anyways, great game, great Co-op, good community maps and certainly worth 20 Expand
  61. Dec 11, 2012
    READ MY OTHER REVIEW! This one is just like that, but has a chamber maker that provides you with endless challenges and fun from the whole community Aperture Scientist's! You can even play with a friend.
  62. Jan 31, 2014
    An absolute gem of a game, a tense, puzzle driven game that is nonetheless absolutely hilarious. I sound myself repeating some of the lines to my wife, who found them funny even though she had no idea what game it was.

Utterly brilliant, it's games like these that put Valve at the top of the PC gaming pyramid.
  63. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is awesome. I have no idea what you guys in the negative reviews are talking about with "short story" and "easy puzzles." Most of the puzzles are fairly challenging and there's a good 8 hours of story. If you have EVER played a valve game, you know not to expect maybe more than 8 hours of story, with the exception of the original Half-Life which had about 10. The game is a good buy. It has a relatively good story, with good puzzles, and some good humor. Very likable characters. Sure, the multiplayer isn't much. But it's not really fair to effect the score so much. Portal 2 was designed solely around Singleplayer and if you really expect a co-op puzzle game to work well, your hopes are way too high. The music is pretty good. Sorry, but there aren't as many "the cake is a lie" in this as there was in the first one. I'm giving this game a 9 because I'm hesitant to give it a full 10. It's probably about 9.4. But it's a good game for all ages and as long as you don't have ADHD and can't make it past the first 10 minutes or so, it's very fun. Expand
  64. Sep 29, 2013
    (This review is for the single player game only) For those not familiar, Portal and Portal II are puzzle games that use the same viewpoint and controls of a first-person-shooter. Not quite as groundbreaking as the first Portal, but miles ahead in terms of graphics and gameplay. A bunch of new gameplay mechanics were added, and the mood and graphics were enhanced compared to the first Portal. The game seemed longer, and the humor was great. The comic relief character Wheatley played by Stephen Merchant was excellent. There are parts of the game that are very dark and foreboding, parts that are ridiculous and zany, and parts that are just plain weird. This is a must-play game for anyone that likes puzzles, a true classic game. Expand
  65. Jan 5, 2013
    Is one of the best games of my life.The movie that this is not a game almost as
    Will not suspect. Cleaner graphics, a fantastic story. And a huge reversal.
    The laboratory, the new elements have emerged. New lasers, gels, etc. have emerged.
    In many ways, this game is the best.
  66. Jan 6, 2013
    This game was my first preorder i have ever made. Worth it. Great grahics, great scenario, music, a lot of fun etc. but puzzles are not good enough. There is challenge mode which i very liked. U are compared to other players in this so even want to be more better.
  67. Jan 8, 2013
    If you do not own this masterpiece, you must IMMEDIATELY purchase it - it is a truly wonderful adventure every time you play it. Of course, from Valve, that is to be expected; yet Portal 2 beat my own expectations by quite a lot - it is such a masterpiece. Buy it now.
  68. Jan 13, 2013
    Next to Team Fortress 2, this is the best Valve game ever made. It was worth the money I spent. The game has beautiful arts, the controls fit nicely, and the game itself is determined to blow you away completely. The game features a multiplayer game mode where you can actually test your intelligence with your friends and solve puzzles together. Portal is underrated, and deserves more than it bargains for. Portal is good for anyone of any age. Solve these masterpieces of puzzles, work together with friends, and own the generation of robotics and a "small" lab procedure (no pun intended). Highly recommended to anyone of any age, of any kind. Expand
  69. Jan 20, 2013
    Portal 2, though lacking the initial 'modest charm' and mysteriousness of the original, offers a much more polished and cinematic experience with content equally if not more engaging than the first. Brand new puzzle challenges, a captivating story, new characters and world concepts to explore, consistently good voice acting (including a surprising role by Stephen Merchant) and lashes of humor come together in a must-have game that can be played even without knowledge of the prior game.

Additional features, like the community-focused level editor, add a new dimension.

It was easy to screw up here, but Portal 2 is not a lazy sequel by any means. It feels like a solid, richer, classier progression of its predecessor.

Its a do-not-miss kind of game.
  70. Jan 21, 2013
    What can I say that has not been covered already in all these reviews. A GOTY worthy title and a must have. One of my favourite games to date and probably Valves best ever title. A very enjoyable, engaging game with nice graphics , great voice-acting and great dialogue , you really can't ask for more from this gem.
  71. Jan 23, 2013
    By far one of my most favorite games, ever. Filled with genius plot, humorous characters, and excellent puzzle design. The first Portal game was released in 2007, with addition to the orange box. But 4 years later, Valve took what was great about the first game, and multiplied it by 1000. A fully fledged, innovative title that nobody should miss. Ever.
  72. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is not only Valve's masterwork, but one of, if not the, greatest video game I have ever played i
    my life. It is beautiful (even though it runs on a now nine-year old engine), innovative, and perhaps most of all, hilarious. This game is one of the few to make me laugh, cry (not really), and fell like a complete genius, sometimes all at once. It has a brilliant script, and
    everything GlaDOS, Cave, and Wheatly have to say is golden. If you have even a passing interest in gaming, or even if you don't, you owe it to yourself to play this masterpiece. I really cannot recomend this enough Expand
  73. Jan 27, 2013
    This game is superior to Portal and one of the best Valve games ever made.The characters, like Wheatley, are hilarious, the puzzles are challenging enough, and, depending on how quickly you find the solutions to the puzzles, the game can be as long as 10 hours, for a $20 title! And that isn't even counting the co-op campaign, or the level editor. I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys Valve games, and even anyone who enjoys puzzle games in general. Expand
  74. Jul 25, 2013
    Portal 2 is the sequel of Portal and much better! It has new gaming features, you can play in coop and buld and play community maps! The game has much humor and is just brilliant.
  75. Aug 9, 2013
    One of my favorite games ever. Valve did make an awesome puzzlegame, which contains action, challenging levels and a great story; not so often founf in this kind a games.

For me clearly a 10/10.
  76. Mar 17, 2013
    Everything you'd expect from Valve; deep and interesting story, puzzles that aren't too easy but aren't too hard, fantastic humour and beautiful graphics. One of my favourite games of all time.
  77. May 14, 2013
    Portal 2 is everything a video game should be. It's thrilling at times, fun and hilarious from start to finish, entertaining, the perfect balance between realism and fiction, and it's simply a work of scientific art. The only minor downsides are the frequent loadingscreens and the Advanced Testchambers that were left out, but thanks to Steam's Workshop you can create your own maps and play those of others, adding countless hours of fan dedication to both singpleplayer and coöperative experiences. Expand
  78. Feb 23, 2013
    HOLY CRAP! I haven't even finished this game and I can tell that the storyline is epic! Screw the others who say this game is dung! I say that this is a game I would recommend to anyone who is AWESOME!
    (which is everyone)
  79. Dec 8, 2013
    Portal 2 is a fun, engaging and truly wonderful experience. The puzzles were well-adjusted on all parameters and so was the soft and humble narrating. Compared to an exciting novel or an alluring painting, Portal 2 contains the best of both and is everything an artful and sly game should be.
  80. Mar 11, 2013
    The engaging, mind-bending gameplay of the original with a few twists, the same fantastic voice acting, and the best narrative in video game history. Rarely is the medium handled with such technical and artistic proficiency. Simply the best.
  81. Mar 21, 2013
    Before Portal I've never played any puzzle game before, but I saw people love it so I caught it on sale.
    Portal 2 is amazing, funny, long and interesting. The plot was interesting and unpredictable and the graphics proved that the Source engine can also be pretty. Now with the workshop evolved too, Portal 2 is simply a stream of endless fun. I highly recommend.
  82. Nov 11, 2013
    What a fantastic sequel. It takes everything you liked from the first game, makes it better, and then throws in a lot more content. All without managing to ruin the spirit of the original. There's finally something to look at instead of the same dull test chamber. The story is longer and more complex, filling in a lot of the blanks from the previous game. Plus, the co-op mode is just as good, if not better, than the single player. Expand
  83. Sep 1, 2013
    While the story and puzzles are good the main success's was the co-op and humor the story is better and the new characters those robots in co-op and Wheatly are excellent characters and Wheatly's voice acting is the best ever that guy deserves a award well okay maybe Vaas actor Michael Mando is better but still this is a really good game
  84. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is the BEST game human mind ever created. I'm serious. This is the pearl of gamemaking it is perfect game really perfect without any flaws. Plot is simply AMAZING, such great history would make high five to any Lucas film. Gameplay is very unique and entertaining. And this graphics, this surroundings underground laboratories, it is like you really have been there. This is not even 10-10, this is beyond and mark, no game can compete with Portal 2. Expand
  85. Mar 28, 2013
    Nice game, nice story.At some levels you have to think a lot for the solution, but this is what makes it fun.Graphics are quite good considering that its working with Source
  86. Apr 4, 2013
    It's really nice and smooth gameplay. The puzzles may aquire little bit of portalish thinking. Really nice puzzle from Valve. They did a great job again. Kudos. it could have been a little bit longer though. But there is also custom maps made by community of Portal 2. I recommend buying the first one as well, because it drags you to story better. They both have good story. I just love the feeling when you do some badass jump and you don't hurt yourself at all with your badass boots. There is good music. Really fits. Funny achievements. Expand
  87. Jul 5, 2013
    This game is the definition of excellence. The puzzles are challenging, and the writing is simply amazing, I have never seen a video game where the characters are so well written that I feel like I actually know them. The co-op offers hours of fun, (as does the actual campaign), and when you're done with those, you can go on and create your own levels and try some of the communities levels via Steam Workshop. This game deserves the good ratings its been getting and is an excellent sequel to its predecessor, Portal. Expand
  88. Apr 8, 2013
    There are simply no words able to describe the perfection of this game.
    The rest I write is just to fill the 150 word character limit, to submit this review.
  89. Apr 26, 2013
    If I say "The cake is a lie" or if I draw you a blue and orange circle and some stick-mens, you know of what I'm talking about. When Portal took our attention, we didn't expected the sequel, but it comes and it comes the way we wanted to. Elaborated Story, more details, beautiful graphics, multiplayer. The "Steam workshop" brings us the possibility to make maps, even models and to share it to all the Portal community. Portal 2's got more than the name, it has got the honnor to be with the best games of all times, and This is proved. Expand
  90. Apr 17, 2013
    I loved this game, just like I loved the first one. Single player was great. Multiplayer is fun but I would like some pairing beyond friends and random. I played with random people and had a lot of fun with one person I played with and just wasted time with the other 5 or 6 attempts. People would either just mess around (die intentionally on the title screens) or about how bad I was without showing any signs of knowing how to get any further. Some sort of ranking would help. Expand
  91. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is inarguably the hallmark game of this generation. It reminds players of how games should be played and develelopers of how games should be made. A sequel to the 2007 critically acclaimed Portal, Portal 2 still manages to top its predecessor in almost every aspect: from level designing, gameplay mechanics to the more wow-able factors of the series: story and characters. Portal 2 is a great break from the mass of games today that concentrates too much on players' characterization and multiple gameplay oriented endings. Portal 2 is pre-scripted, yet the game not at once failed to awe its audience: an eerily beautiful and mystifying journey that twists and turns here and there, keeping everyone on their heels for what's to come. Portal 2 is a must-have for all who believe in the bright future of gaming, for all who would enjoy a beautiful cinematic movie or a richly written book. Expand
  92. Apr 27, 2013
    So much could've gone wrong during the development of Portal 2, yet Valve accomplishes the impossible and outdoes its predecessor in almost every way without giving the feeling of deja vu. The game includes plenty of new tools to experiment with, a much more expanded world, debut characters, and a more complex storyline than the original. The biggest new assets to the series are the additions of Wheatley and Cave Johnson (voice acted by Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons respectively). Although I was GLaD that Ellen McLain returns in this sequel, these fresh AIs are also brilliant in their own rights. Wheatley is an energetic personality core with plenty of cleverly written and performed lines. The same can be said of Aperture boss Cave Johnson, who feels as if were born for the task. GLaDOs is charmingly evil, as in the previous installment, but more sarcastic this time around, especially when she awakens and desperately attempts to rebuild the labs. There are, according to Valve Software, about four hundred lines of dialogue in the entire game, and not one fails to entertain. But new faces aren't the only first-timers, Valve also adds in plenty of new gameplay elements to toy around with. From gels to tractor beams to light bridges to lens blocks and more, there is a ton of introductions to the game. Now, the original Portal was fairly difficult even with only buttons, cubes, and your portal gun, so it may seem overwhelming at first with all this brand new content, but Valve ushers them in slowly so you can understand their mechanics before using them in clever ways. Speaking of which, the game is challenging, but never frustrating, letting you have fun while still satisfying after solving an exceptionally hard puzzle. The environment is now much expanded, allowing you to see more than just test chambers. Also visible are the surrounding areas, overgrown with vegetation and scrambling back into place once you enter the room. The Source Engine allows for slick graphics and realistic physics, although some may consider it to be a bit of a step back from more modern video games such as Crysis, Uncharted, or Rage that look astounding. The writing is consistently funny, a nice companion to the more serious tone of the story. Just like the original, there are plenty of twists and turns in the plotline to keep you engaged. The story itself is fantastic, allowing for you to discover the past events of Aperture Laboratories and giving the characters some nice and surprising developments along the way. The soundtrack is beloved with hits like Want You Gone and Exile Vilify pleasing the ears. Portal 2 is a puzzle game, if you haven't known already, so expect to use your brain a lot. The game makes you feel incredibly smart, a reward for passing some of the more challenging but never unfair levels. The entire story is told through experience, just like the original. There are no in-game cutscenes as in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves or Red Dead Redemption. Instead, the story progresses as you go, allowing for a more personal participation in the game. Once you're done with the single player mode, there is a cooperative mode, which is, in some ways, even better. You connect online via Steam and use either voice chat or a surprisingly effective set of visual cues to inform your partner on where to place portals. Valve takes full advantage of this and creates mind-bending puzzles that require FULL teamwork. If you do not contribute, there is no way to advance the game. This mode also continues the story after the single player campaign, so if you want more of Portal, this is a great way to progress the game. There are also two DLCs to look over (Peer Review and Perpetual Testing Initiative). Peer Review is the third part of the Portal 2 storyline and continues the co-op gameplay while Perpetual Testing Initiative allows for you to create YOUR OWN PUZZLES and launch them to the world. You can also subscribe to other people's creations leading to endless replayability. The Steam Workshop allows for simple ways to build stages instead of level builders that require more time spent on experimenting to perfect it than actually making your puzzles. Each of these updates is free and adds a significant amount of replay value to an already incredible game. Portal 2 is the best game I've ever played. It may seem too much of an overstatement, but it truly is spectacular. The writing, the characters, the story, the stages, the level editor, the co-op all are put together to create a truly unique experience. This first-person puzzle game has captured my heart, just as the original did, but this time, I can truly say that this is a masterpiece. There are also fifty or so achievements to try your hand at. Each of them are fun to attempt most of them shouldn't be too difficult,. There is also the developer's commentary which brings an exciting new look at the making of the game. Portal 2 is one of those rare titles that you lose sleep over. Expand
  93. Apr 28, 2013
    fun new mechanics, great voice-acting, funny dialog... am i the only one who almost cried at the ending song? and the sense of freedom that makes you reflect on life... this is the pinnacle of interactive experience folks.
    haven't tried any of the custom made maps, but that's just a bonus. i'm going to try to get my fiancee to go through the co-op with me. wish me luck!
  94. Jun 7, 2013
    Portal 2 does the impossible. It makes an already perfect game even more so. The graphics and enviormental art are much more interesting than it's predicessor and adds another humurously dark plot with even more characters. The plot has been expanded to make this a full game unlike portal 1. Better yet there is a co-op mode with a whole slew of maps that are great with friends. And the best part of this game is there are easy map editing tools with the steam workshop, so even when you complete the lengthy single-player and co-op campaigns, you will be given infinite amount of replayability. Defenitly worth the $20 bucks and 150+ hours Expand
  95. Jan 4, 2014
    A brilliant puzzle game! I remember playing it when it first came out. Portal 2 has both a good singleplayer and a great CO-OP campaign. There's a lot of fun dialogues and cut-scenes. The puzzles are fairly challenging and the game is in overall very entertaining.
  96. Apr 9, 2014
    Just when you think Portal couldn't get any better, Portal 2 comes out. Much longer in length, even better puzzles, hilariously funny scripting & voice acting (especially "Cave Johnson" & Glados). Some negative reviews here have some fair points (very high prices for purely cosmetic DLC), but much of it is simply "I don't like puzzles", which is pretty silly. I don't like sports games but instead of leaving negative reviews for them, I simply don't buy what I know in advance I don't like!

Likewise, "It's too much like the original" is a GOOD thing these days when some other developers have a tendency to repeatedly destroy franchises with dumbed-down "cinematic" tat (Thief 4 anyone?)... Overall I'll give the game a 9 simply because there were one or two crashes-to-desktop on mine. It would have gotten a 10 without them.
  97. Jan 2, 2014
    Best game ever! The game has great graphics with shadows and lighting. The old Aperture area is just massive with metal rails and huge structures. You even get to hear Cave Johnson.
  98. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Portal was good but this second installment really borders on perfection. Clever, funny, interesting: it never stops to be funny. Co-Op part of the game is great too.
  99. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is perfect... basically if you are looking for a fun time and a new experience play this game. It is not the same game as Portal 1. Valve made the game a longer and more modern game, instead of the indie style of Portal 1.
  100. Jul 28, 2013
    Portal 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. Not only Valve was able to create one of the most amazing story lines ever created, but they were able to do so using only three characters and a mute protagonist. There are literally no words to describe how amazing this game is, but lucky for you, Valve is even more awesome than their games, and will let you purchase it for just a few euros, you don't even need to have a good pc, the Source Engine can be run even by the worst laptops on the market.

And here comes my main reason that makes this the best game ever created: Wheatley. It's just incredible how Valve could create such an expressive and fun character out of an anonymous core from the first game. He has so many face expressions that's almost unbelievable, and Stephen Merchant's voice fits just perfectly for him that you'll just get dragged into the story without even noticing it.

Every time you'll think the game gave you everything, there will be a plot-twist awaiting you.

I actually bought 5 copies of this game, one for PS3, one for PC, and three for friends. The console port is perfect, don't listen to the people that say otherwise.
  101. Nov 14, 2012
    Portal 2 is fascinating. It is another Valve's masterpiece, thankfully. This sequel is even more fun, thanks to the new elements that are added. The puzzle design in Portal 2 may be the best from all puzzle games. The puzzles are mind blowing and fun, and none of them are frustrating. The new characters are charming and remarkable, all followed with a superb voice acting. The writing is terrific and frequently this game made me laugh out loud, because of the funny quotes of the characters. In short words, Portal 2 is a mind blowing experience and a nearly perfect game! (10) Collapse

1. Oct 20, 2011