Portal 2 PC

8.8

1. Oct 21, 2014
    What is to say about an amazing game like Portal 2? Jumping around and solving difficult but fun puzzles with a gun that shoots portals. But that is not all that goes for this game. The story is gripping and intense (really intense for a puzzle game) and even throws some unexpected twists at you. In my opinion, the story is the strongest aspect of the game, but the puzzles are fun as well.What is to say about an amazing game like Portal 2? Jumping around and solving difficult but fun puzzles with a gun that shoots portals. But that is not all that goes for this game. The story is gripping and intense (really intense for a puzzle game) and even throws some unexpected twists at you. In my opinion, the story is the strongest aspect of the game, but the puzzles are fun as well. Although the puzzles can be frustrating, Portal 2 is an amazing game with almost 0 flaws and has an amazing story, great graphics, and amazingly cool mechanics. Expand
  2. Ape
    Feb 26, 2014
    Why would you not have this game already? Go in steam and get this and the original for about $20, and have fun. The great hing about the sequel however is it has an entirely separate co-op campaign you can play on the couch or online.
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    I thought I would never like a game without bang bang, gore, violence and monsters; the game is a perfect thriller / puzzle and never uses the cliches you are tired to see in this brave new world...
  4. Mar 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. awesome the game has quality and puzzles that took me the whole day to finish and I'm gonna wait for the next one because I'm not even done with co-op and single player all together was a week and I don't get the bad reviews they just didn't pay attention enough to respect the game Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2014
    This game is just incredible. It's so unique. When you play it for the first time you are blown away by how unique and how cool the game is. The graphics also suit the game very well. If you have a friend to play this with it's double the fun, as you can do co-op on all the modes.

I had so much fun playing through the campaign with my friend, but most of my hours have been spent with my friend playing and building our own custom maps. The fact you can play other player created maps adds a lot of longevity to the game. It's the best value game I have ever bought.

If you're someone who doesn't like puzzle games then maybe this isn't for you, but otherwise it's the best money you'll ever spend on a game.
  6. Mar 15, 2014
    This game is simply brilliant. I usually never manage to finish my games but there's something about this one that keeps you coming back for more. The best part for me is the sense of accomplishment you get from solving a puzzle you've been stuck on for a while! The voice acting is of very high quality and the jokes are funny. No problems with the controls and the levels are very wellThis game is simply brilliant. I usually never manage to finish my games but there's something about this one that keeps you coming back for more. The best part for me is the sense of accomplishment you get from solving a puzzle you've been stuck on for a while! The voice acting is of very high quality and the jokes are funny. No problems with the controls and the levels are very well designed and never repetitive. Get it now. Expand
  7. Mar 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "As of March 24th, 2014, there are 4186 positive reviews and only 318 negative ones. I punch those numbers into my calculator, and it makes a happy face".

Seriously though, I think we just need to hand out some information to the unhappy few who claim to have "wasted" their money on this game. Here are some facts that are to be considered:

-The DLC is optional. You don't need to have it, because, at best, it gives you a bunch of festive clothes for your character to wear, none of which you will see or care about during the course of the game.
    -I see many folks here complaining that these puzzles are too easy. It's a game, and games are not meant to bash your head inside out. There are no need for these puzzles to be particularly hard. I want to come back from work or school and have a small thing for my mind to chew on, not a full meal.
    -Some critics, in fact, are going so far as to complain that this is not a game, and that they prefer "real" games. And no, I am not going to criticize that. Please go back to your precious Call of Duty and leave my Portal 2 alone.

Other than that, I respect your opinions. Truly.

Overall, Portal 2 is a nice game, with rather humorous (though I would not call it witty) dialogue and a lot of fun puzzles to solve. At worst, it can be a pleasant little game of "I Spy" for a valid surface to put your portal on.

I particularly found the co-op mode intriguing. Sometimes I would find an intelligent partner, and we would storm through the tests together. Others were rather dim-witted, and I was forced to kill them in some way to show my displeasure.

10 out of 10 for this game. And no, it is not a score that I give out all the time.
  8. Apr 1, 2014
    Portal 2 took the bones of its original and added some suprisingly tasty meat to it. An enjoyable combination of lateral thinking taking your fps skills for a ride with excellent hardware scalability. Got a free steam copy with my ps3 version and the co-operative play is worth going through (loved that split screen option). Highly recommend.
  9. Mar 16, 2016
    dsafadfassdsfdasfasdfsadfsdafsaddfsadsasaddfdafdsadsfsfdaadsffdsadsafdsaffdsaadsfsafddsfadsfadsffdfdsafdsaafddfsadfsadsafdfsadsdsfadfsafddfsafadsfdsadfsadsf
  10. May 18, 2014
    This game is amazing. This is probably the best game that Valve pulled out. A set of very sharp reflection in beautiful rooms with an atmosphere and excellent playability. I do not know what else to say about this game, except that you must have played Portal 2 at least once in his life. Portal 2 deserves the rating of 10/10 and its price.
  11. Dec 2, 2014
    Wow. I'm honestly speechless. The game's that good. I mean, like, epic storyline, amazing graphics even on a crappy computer, virtually lag and glitch-free, and somehow enough room for puzzle solving and creativity that makes you feel good in the end. All that you could ask for in a game. And the atmosphere you're playing in makes you feel like you're fighting for your life. This gameWow. I'm honestly speechless. The game's that good. I mean, like, epic storyline, amazing graphics even on a crappy computer, virtually lag and glitch-free, and somehow enough room for puzzle solving and creativity that makes you feel good in the end. All that you could ask for in a game. And the atmosphere you're playing in makes you feel like you're fighting for your life. This game reminded me that EA can't create masterpieces like the ones Valve makes. (hint hint: start making good games please.)

I'd play this title over and over again if I were given a choice! It's that good!
  12. Oct 17, 2014
    Portal 2 is THE best game I have ever played. And I've played a lot of games. It combines all the good aspects of games. When the game was over I just sat there for a while thinking about how I just played the game of the century.
  13. Jun 24, 2014
    One of the most funniest storyline you'll ever get. The Portal humour is 70% of the game according to me, the rest is pure genius. Thinking with portals is the concept, like in the first Portal, and you have in Portal 2 some new puzzles, new stuff to play with.

The game was maybe a little bit too easy, and it is my only negative point. You can finish pretty early and there is no replay value, unless you want to complete the Steam achievements.

Coop mode is one of the best as well, with a complete new storyline and hours of gameplay

Conclusion : THE Valve highest success, you can't miss a game like that
  14. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of Valves greatest games ever. It borrowed cool and innovative mechanics from Portal, and the gameplay and first half of the story are great. The coop mode is really fun with friends. The only downside is the fact that wheatley betrays you, I had grown to like him so much and I didn't want that to happen. Expand
  15. Jul 7, 2014
    Portal 2 was just outstanding. When Portal came it, it became really popular but it lacked story-telling and was way too short. Portal fulfills all those and also brings some great characters. GLaDOS develops a unique relation with you, wheatly was amazingly funny. It had all that's needed to be a perfect game. Nicely polished, no bugs and most of all, you develop an emotional attachmentPortal 2 was just outstanding. When Portal came it, it became really popular but it lacked story-telling and was way too short. Portal fulfills all those and also brings some great characters. GLaDOS develops a unique relation with you, wheatly was amazingly funny. It had all that's needed to be a perfect game. Nicely polished, no bugs and most of all, you develop an emotional attachment to the characters and feel like you're really a part of the game, which, to me, is the most important thing. Hats off! Expand
  16. Jul 15, 2014
    Portal 2 is a very enjoyable, witty game. The narrative is compelling, and it proves to be a truly inventive puzzle game. I jumped into this Portal (haha, get it?) without playing its predecessor, and found no issues in understanding the plot or how the game works as such. So, if like me you haven't played Portal before, then throw away your preconceptions of what a puzzle game is rightPortal 2 is a very enjoyable, witty game. The narrative is compelling, and it proves to be a truly inventive puzzle game. I jumped into this Portal (haha, get it?) without playing its predecessor, and found no issues in understanding the plot or how the game works as such. So, if like me you haven't played Portal before, then throw away your preconceptions of what a puzzle game is right now, because Portal will smash them.
    Portal 2 offers a more hands-on puzzle experience than any other game of its genre I've played, and whilst the puzzles prove to be a challenging, they are heaps of fun to solve. Especially with the addition of GLaDOS' sarky commentary, or Wheatley's ramblings.
    That's another thing about Portal 2 - it's quirky and funny. Some moments made me laugh out loud, which is a bit of a mean feat. The characters, though you can count them on just one hand, are actually ingenious, and offer more entertainment than many games with casts of 20+ have. The game's main setting - the now rather disheveled Aperture Science Enrichment Center - is also really nicely done and just, well, cool....
    Portal 2 is just the right mix of everything - humor, puzzles and a good story. You're really missing out if you've been putting off playing it!
  17. Jul 18, 2014
    Portal 2 is funny fluid and .utterly replay able you need to have this fantastic wonder of a game in your life
    It is the perfect length of a game go and buy it right now
  18. Jul 20, 2014
    i absolutely LOVE this game. when i play its kind of like a family thing, me my brother and my father all watching the screen having fun pointing things out and trying to figure out the puzzle. i honestly think that this is the best, there are good graphics, good plot, complex things to do, and most important, it's HILARIOUS. seriously, completely sarcastic and witty the whole time. truei absolutely LOVE this game. when i play its kind of like a family thing, me my brother and my father all watching the screen having fun pointing things out and trying to figure out the puzzle. i honestly think that this is the best, there are good graphics, good plot, complex things to do, and most important, it's HILARIOUS. seriously, completely sarcastic and witty the whole time. true some of the puzzles may be difficult, (and for those who its easy for, sucks to be you, cuz that means you had no fun) but that's part of the fun of playing it. Expand
  19. Jul 25, 2014
    This game is absolutely awesome! Amazing puzzles, great graphics and a lot of humor! The only thing that I see as a problem is the fact that the game is too short.
  20. Dec 30, 2014
    Portal 2 is a FPS game tip , Launched in 2011, developed and published by Valve.Tu a control on Chell , one of the first game , care was required to undergo some tests GLaDOS , clever computer coordinates LABORATORIES Aperture Science. Chell wakes up after a coma after the events of the first port ADDRESS . She compared Meet Wheatley , care must supervise all our robot tests AperturePortal 2 is a FPS game tip , Launched in 2011, developed and published by Valve.Tu a control on Chell , one of the first game , care was required to undergo some tests GLaDOS , clever computer coordinates LABORATORIES Aperture Science. Chell wakes up after a coma after the events of the first port ADDRESS . She compared Meet Wheatley , care must supervise all our robot tests Aperture Science subjects . Before she could about the two discuss the circumstances and begin to destroy MUST get in - a safe area. GLaDOS Wheatley accidentally reactivates it and so she starts to put you in teste.Cam both story. The game brings a lot of improvements , from Gel - Links to redirect laser and others. The game graphics and sound stay tremendously - the Voice sarcastic function is simply awesome. Expand
  21. Sep 15, 2014
    Portal 2 is on eof the best remastered games ever released
    All of its content as been remade, lots of new aesthetics, even new puzzle elements. And an exciting storyline.
    Portal 2 is one of the best games ever made, even for a "puzzle" game (running from raging snipers to raging mevious puzzles) The game as workshop, modding compatibility, its very cheap for a game of 95 meta
    Portal 2 is on eof the best remastered games ever released
    The game as workshop, modding compatibility, its very cheap for a game of 95 meta score(until 07 was 96), and also as a tremendous soundtrack.

Its one of the best games ever made, and no expert critc ever hate this game.
    The game as 7 chapters, and its 150 times longer than the original portal. The game as also the Challenge mode, which very cool. There are a lot of fixed glitches, but still some remaining.

The new coop mode was received perfectly well, since its really creative and cool.

The humor on the game is giant, wheatley, a stupid core, and he watch all your steps, like, "the people whit brain damage are the real heroes), and GlaDOs, with her rage of you killing her, saying to you like "Your mother hates you, not because you're fat, but you really are, and the fact of you begin adopted.)

100/100. Buy this game. If your pc run half life 2, It WILL run portal 2.
    Also if you buy the ps3 version you will win a free pc copy.
  22. Dec 9, 2014
    Yes, Valve, give me more! The campaign is spot-on, has the right duration and will provide some laughs and some challenges. And the coop is amazing. And then there's the user created maps, so the fun theoretically never has to stop.

But, to be quite sincere, I liked the first game better. The whole atmosphere of desolation and not knowing what was going on was amazing. And Aperture Science seemed more interesting that first time, with all the decaying offices. And, even though I liked the campaign of Portal 2, I didn't really like its story. Wheatley isn't a great character, GLaDOS wasn't so evil as in the first game and the plot was obvious. After some minutes playing, I started figuring out what was going to happen next.

But all the underground section when you discover the gels are amazing. It's truly worth the money and your time, even more if you have a friend to play with you. Unfortunately, I don't :c but I tried the coop with strangers, and it was nice even so.
  23. Sep 26, 2014
    This is my favourite game. My best friend got me obsessed over this one. We played multiplayer on PS3 and it is also good on PC. Plus I love the story and Wheatley! I'm happy to be the President of Still Alive Club!
  24. Sep 28, 2014
    This probably has to be the best game I've ever played, from the script to the voice acting, to the graphics and the way you play the game. It is a challenging 'puzzle' game which involves going through one portal and coming out of the other one, only YOU have to chose where they go.

The game is about a company named Aperture science who are using humans to test their latest invention, the portal gun. The story is about you, and a little robot named Wheatley who tries to save you from the evil robot GLaDOS, but the tables turn and GLaDOS tries to save you from Wheatley, only to find out she was a test subject too!

Finally there is a whole new game when it comes to the co-op aspect of the game, you and your buddy are two silly robots with portal guns!

Have fun!
  25. Sep 28, 2014
    "Wow" is all i've got to say about this game. If you thought the first Portal was great, you can bet every dollar you have you're going to love this! It's brilliance of it makes this game astonishing. New Character: Wheatley! One of the best puzzle games with a innovative story that will keep you up in knots!
  26. Dec 5, 2014
    A bit late to review but whatever!.... Portal 2 is a great game! The original Portal was great as well! Portal 2 was amazing with great level designs! Some levels stumped me but I finally finished them! The characters, voice acting are really good! I hope in the next Portal (if there will be one) that it would be a prequel to the first game! Overall if you want a really good puzzle gameA bit late to review but whatever!.... Portal 2 is a great game! The original Portal was great as well! Portal 2 was amazing with great level designs! Some levels stumped me but I finally finished them! The characters, voice acting are really good! I hope in the next Portal (if there will be one) that it would be a prequel to the first game! Overall if you want a really good puzzle game pick up Portal 1 and 2 because they are both really amazing puzzle adventure games to get your brain working! Its always a treat every time you finish a puzzle! Expand
  27. Oct 19, 2014
    Portal 2, the game the original portal could've been had it been more mainstream. This unique game is a game with so many unique mechanics, great story and memorable characters that I regret uninstalling it from my computer due to lack of space.

The game works like this: You play as Chell, the main character of the story. With a portal gun, your goal is to try to escape the long abandoned Aperture Science laboratory, designed to test the infamous portal gun. While doing this, the portal gun works like this: when you shoot one portal, you shoot another portal on a designated surface, usually white. after the second portal is shot, you walk through it to get to the other portal, this mechanic is a lot more fun than it sounds.

This game is often proclaimed to be a "masterpiece". And I agree with it, with a 9 out of 10, I will always go back to Portal 2, even if that means reinstalling it on my computer, which is almost out of space.
  28. Oct 22, 2014
    Intriguing. Intuitive. Hilarious. These are just some of the words I'll use to describe this game. Recommend this game to anyone who has half a brain.
  29. Jul 30, 2015
    Portal 2
    Simpler and Better
    Portals single player has greatly improved since the original The single player mode felt much more fleshed out in terms of story to keep you going towards the end goal. Good or bad, Portal 2 takes a much simpler approach to level design this time around making this game much more casual friendly. I needed tons of help to get through the original portal, I
    Portal 2
    Simpler and Better
    Portals single player has greatly improved since the original
    I needed tons of help to get through the original portal,
    I only got stumped in portal 2 maybe 2 or 3 times total towards the end.
    Portal 2 is even more unpredictable than the original was, there are so many twists and turns with the story and levels that you have no idea where the end of one puzzle is going to take you.
    It was a great and much needed change of pace to go back and forth between testing rooms and half life style locations
    really kept the gameplay and story moving forward, making it almost impossible to put your controller down.
    There are a few added puzzle aspects such as light bridges, anti gravity beams, gels, and being able to redirect laser beams, but if im being honest these additions felt more gimmicky to me than innovative.
    if its not broke don’t fix it.
    I feel like the developers tried to cram too much into this game too fast.
    Portal 2 also features a co op mode, unfortunately though, at least on ps3, there seems to be issues connecting to steam so you are stuck playing local co op rather than online
    this isn’t an issue if you have friends.
    but as glados will tell you
    I don’t have any friends so I couldn’t effectively get through the 6 levels or get a true co op experience.
    I did however play back and forth through a couple of levels and love the challenge added of having to actually effectively work together with now 4 portals.
    Portal 2 is the same charming and addicting puzzle game as the original with still so much added to make it a much better overall experience.
    With the puzzle solving greatly dumbed down, and the characters still hilarious, and a very worthwhile ending, you owe it to yourself to run through this amazingly charming puzzle game.
    for what it is
    First Person Puzzle Platformer:
    9.5/10

Overall:
  30. Nov 18, 2014
    The good:
    - top notch voice acting
    - possibly the funniest, cleverest dialogue I've ever experienced in a game - a physical world that works nearly flawlessly - nothing is dumbed down, making the more challenging puzzles incredibly gratifying when you solve them The bad: - even when you "solve" the puzzle (e.g. figure out what needs to be done), some challenges are incredibly
    The good:
    - top notch voice acting
    - possibly the funniest, cleverest dialogue I've ever experienced in a game
    - a physical world that works nearly flawlessly

The bad:
    - even when you "solve" the puzzle (e.g. figure out what needs to be done), some challenges are incredibly finicky in terms of how precise you need to be to perform the required actions, making it frustrating. I solved the damn puzzle! Let me out!
    - puzzle after puzzle can get a bit monotonous when your companions are absent and the dialogue diminishes
  31. Dec 3, 2014
    Portal 2 is a great successor to the previous game. This game is out right hilarious. The puzzles are innovated and improve upon the puzzles from the previous game. JUST BUY IT!
  32. Dec 10, 2014
    This is the best game i've ever played. It has no negative things. It has brilliant graphics and a good story with a plot twist. And the gameplay is really good too.
  33. Jan 13, 2015
    I have experienced extremely low cases when a game truly make me feel pure emotions. This is the type of games that proof that you don't need hours and hours of history, gameplay, or the greatest history to make a game that can easily touch most part of the people's heart.
  34. Dec 28, 2014
    The amount of care put into this game is simply jaw-dropping. Comedian Stephen Merchant is hysterically funny as Wheatley, the role he was born to play, the puzzles have a gradual learning curve and range from simple to ingenious but never aggravating, the Source Engine is on full display in all its beauty, the humour is sharply-writ, and the ending stands as my favourite ending of any video game.
  35. Jan 8, 2015
    Still not found a better game than this. Requires high brain usage. I can play this game for hours/days/years. Many thanks to the players who upload millions of missions at the steam workshop. I was a bit disappointed when i finished the single player "story" but then i discovered that there are millions of extra missions. Very unique at this genre.
  36. Dec 8, 2012
    This is a great game, valve certainly doesn't disappoint. This sequel introduces a whole LOT of more gameplay elements like light bridges, tractor beams, lasers, 3 types of gels etc.

Overall, I give this game a 9.5 for the single player. I take off half a point because the single player campaign feels too scripted. I don't remember the original being this scripted. They literally tell you exactly where to put the portals to solve the puzzles. The rest of it is great: Glados is her usual awesome self :) and it feels like there is much more story this time around. I also liked the different environments, some of which are quite retro and reminded me of Fallout. I got it at 75% off on steam. I feel like i'm practically stealing the game at that price.

The game also has a great level editor and zillions of community built maps to keep you busy for practically forever.
  37. gas
    Aug 6, 2012
    Really a great game, one of the best games ever made in my opinion.
    Single player is great, ofc you must like puzzles to like the game, anyway the co op in my opinion is absolutely the best part, i dont remember other multiplayer games where i had more fun then this one.
    A must buy title.
  38. USG
    Nov 27, 2011
    Each second of Portal 2 is enjoyable and unique, unlike anything else and it offers a superb storyline and amusing dialogue that compliments it. Unfortunately, a problem is that there can be more stellar material in Portal 2. The difficulty starts out slow with nothing really clever and the puzzles and objects that make the gameplay worthwhile is only used near the end of the game. TheEach second of Portal 2 is enjoyable and unique, unlike anything else and it offers a superb storyline and amusing dialogue that compliments it. Unfortunately, a problem is that there can be more stellar material in Portal 2. The difficulty starts out slow with nothing really clever and the puzzles and objects that make the gameplay worthwhile is only used near the end of the game. The detail in the game is tremendous which goes back to the same rooms as Portal but in a new manner, except it showcases the new setting for the first half of the game. The new technologies introduced in the game, such as gels, only make it in too late into the campaign. Despite feeling too short, each second invested into the game is worthwhile and fun. The character must escape from the laboratory which breaks up any repetition caused by tests, although the escaping segments offer no difficulty. Each character in the game is alluring, from GLaDOS and Wheatley to cores with insignificant roles at the end. Overall, the campaign of Portal 2 does indeed inspire awe and the co-op mode can add more hours to the game, but it's ultimately too short which is not for its own good. Expand
  39. Oct 8, 2011
    So, what else is Portal 2 besides a lot of hype? I was waiting for this title to go on sale and when it did I decided 15 dollar would be the right price for this game and bought it. And I was quite right. Let's start off with the good things: I love the source engine. I had all the graphical settings maxed out and there hasn't been a shred of lag during the entire game. The texturing isn'tSo, what else is Portal 2 besides a lot of hype? I was waiting for this title to go on sale and when it did I decided 15 dollar would be the right price for this game and bought it. And I was quite right. Let's start off with the good things: I love the source engine. I had all the graphical settings maxed out and there hasn't been a shred of lag during the entire game. The texturing isn't overly complicated, which isn't necessary to maintain the smooth style in which Portal games are made. Fun environments, beautiful shadows, lighting effects and very slick animations will keep you in the right kind of atmosphere while portaling your way through the Aperture complex (or what's left of it). It's an awesome experience just to see the world around you either being built up or torn apart (you'll never know for sure which).

Unfortunately there are also some things that didn't quite work for me, which has mainly to do with the voicecasting. GlaDOS sounded allright, although a bit too emotional for my taste. I prefered the more reserved subtlety of the first Portal game, but maybe that's just me holding on to the past. But then there is Wheatly. When you put the voice of some annoyingly human british guy in a robot, at least make an effort to make it sound more computerized. And PAUSE between senteces. There's only a second or two rest between the 'helpful' reminders of what you should do and that gets on my nerves pretty fast. I don't like to be rushed unnecessarily just to keep me from getting mildly irritated, let me enjoy my surroundings in peace for a while first.

The storyline gets a bit confusing but I think it worked out just fine overall. There are little twists (and some bigger ones) to keep your interest, and there's plenty of humorous monologues and announcements to smile about. I like the new elements introduced in the puzzles (a bit messy, but who cares), but the puzzles themselves are too easy, making the length of the game a bit on the short side. I hope the either Valve or the modding community will be able to mod us single players some better challenges, as I personally don't care for co-op or any kind of multiplayer at all. All in all Portal 2 is good looking, fun experiece. Looking forward for the mods on this one, I think there's plenty of potential here.
  40. Mar 7, 2012
    Good sequel to a great game. I can't say I was bedazzled by Portal 2 since the core fundamentals haven't changed from the original game, but there are a few new elements which introduce some cool twists to the puzzles. The ending was indeed lunacy--WOW. Without giving anything away, it is simply an ending worth experiencing. The coop is great fun too. If you enjoyed the first Portal,Good sequel to a great game. I can't say I was bedazzled by Portal 2 since the core fundamentals haven't changed from the original game, but there are a few new elements which introduce some cool twists to the puzzles. The ending was indeed lunacy--WOW. Without giving anything away, it is simply an ending worth experiencing. The coop is great fun too. If you enjoyed the first Portal, playing this one is a no-brainer--it is very much the same, only better. Expand
  41. May 14, 2012
    Great to see the second installment of Portal became a full priced game, a great one at that. Portal 2 is simply a well executed game just like many others from Valve. The game stayed true from the first, advancing the puzzles and increasing the game life with a longer campaign and multiplayer modes. A separate Co-op campaign was another great feature. The game features great voice acting,Great to see the second installment of Portal became a full priced game, a great one at that. Portal 2 is simply a well executed game just like many others from Valve. The game stayed true from the first, advancing the puzzles and increasing the game life with a longer campaign and multiplayer modes. A separate Co-op campaign was another great feature. The game features great voice acting, memorable characters, the famous puzzles and great atmosphere. Portal 2 both lives up to the hype and proves itself as an amazing sequel. Expand
  42. Jul 24, 2011
    The only people giving this game negative are people being hired from other game companies. But in all actuality Portal 2 is a fantastic addition.

The first thing you will notice is the massive graphical improvements. Even on medium settings the game looks beautiful and runs smoothly on any computer that can handle most valve games. I was surprised my 2007 machine was able to run it so well. Part of my surprise was how many objects were moving at once. Literally entire levels change shape and don't reduce my framerate. Story wise Portal 2 is very interesting. First you start off trying to take out Glados but when you finally do, a very surprising plot twist occurs. I didn't see it coming, and I am a person who can predict exactly what happens in movies and games within the first few minutes. There are also several easter eggs that reveal more to the story of Portal however some of them are well hidden or are just in places you won't see if you just run through the game. The dialogue is also very entertaining, even better than the first as the characters are more dynamic. The puzzles are, while not mind boggling are much more challenging than the first. You usually won't be playing a level for more than 20 minutes, however the puzzles are on a much larger scale. Sometimes you will even need to backtrack to solve further puzzles. There are also many more puzzle elements than from the first portal. Portal isn't about creating holes and using them to make a box land on a button anymore. It's much more now.

The Co-Op is pretty fun. You may want to play with people you trust though. Unlike other Co-Op games where one person can still handle everything, Portal 2 Co-Op is IMPOSSIBLE to beat without two people working properly together, and Valve designed the co-op levels specifically so people have to work together. When playing with friends Co-op is a blast, even if you are just goofing around. The only downside to the game is, like with the first portal, it is short. On a casual play through I was able to beat the single player in about 8 hours. However, it's still a lot of fun to replay. I clocked in 30 hours in the first portal and that was a shorter game with a lot less features. I'm sure I will find myself playing portal 2 for a long time.
  43. Koo
    Aug 4, 2012
    A really beautiful game that's fun for everyone. It improves on the original Portal in every respect: Story, humour, and puzzles. It's just plain fun to play, and stays with you long after you finish the game. One tip for people playing the game for the first time: Do not use walkthroughs/cheat guides! I used a walkthrough for one puzzle I was stuck on for two days, and I regret itA really beautiful game that's fun for everyone. It improves on the original Portal in every respect: Story, humour, and puzzles. It's just plain fun to play, and stays with you long after you finish the game. One tip for people playing the game for the first time: Do not use walkthroughs/cheat guides! I used a walkthrough for one puzzle I was stuck on for two days, and I regret it to this day! (1 year later). Any time you get stuck, just take a break from the game, re-think the puzzle, and then get back at it. The puzzle I got stuck on was a common problem for many players, but the solution to it is simple and straightforward (perhaps why I couldn't figure it out!). Fantastic game if you have a PC, PS3 or XBox 360. I can recommend it to everyone. 10/10 Expand
  44. May 16, 2012
    For me this is perfection. Gameplay is inovative, fun, just fantastic. Maybe there should be more content, thats the only bad thing. The ending is perfect, voice acting, story. SOmething every other game could only dream of having .
  45. Oct 30, 2011
    Portal 2 is, without a doubt, great.
    Portal 1 was, for those who don't know, a short puzzle game sold with The Orange Box, and made use of holes in walls. It's hard to explain.
    Now, even though Portal 1 was(very) short, that wasn't that bad: The puzzles would have gotten obvious and the standard portal mechanics boring. And you might also have heard that Portal 2 is much longer than the
    Portal 2 is, without a doubt, great.

And you might also have heard that Portal 2 is much longer than the original, so how did they keep Portal 2 fresh and entertaining?
    Well, VALVe said easy: Throw in some awesome mechanics, more characters, and some great plot twists, and bam, you have a great game.

Portal 2's base mechanics do not differ from the original: The portal gun is back. But, this time around, there are a LOT more things to play around with; Lazers are one, but I'm not going to spoil any more. Let's just say that they're great.
    The story has also improved a lot: Portal 1's story(that did have a lot of backstory) was kind of basic. But, this time around, there is a full-fledged story about Aperture Science, and what happened in the facilities.

Another "Small" addition is Co-Op. Imagine: Instead of 2 portals, 4 to play around with. Believe me: It can get complicated, but if you have a buddy to play with and have voicechat, it'll be a barrel 'o laughs.

If I'm going to tell more in this review, I'll spoil too much... but believe me, together with the Portal 2 Authoring Tools for PC, the new coop, incoming DLC's, and the longer overall game, this is a must by for any gamer.
  46. Mar 25, 2012
    I really did not think that they could improve over the first Portal game, but let me tell you... I was so very wrong. Portal 2 improves on almost everything that the first one did right and touches you in a way that you never imagined your Weighted Companion Cube could.
  47. Mar 19, 2012
    Very good game and improvements over Portal due to better graphics, more complex maps, and a better plot. The newly added features such as gels and coop modes really made the game much better to play. However, I took one mark off for day-one dlcs.
  48. Apr 21, 2011
    I absolutely loved this game. Everything from the graphics to the sarcastic humor of GlaDOS. No matter what the raging says, don't listen to them. This is a great game!
  49. Apr 22, 2011
    Totally excellent game. It lived up to all expectations and more--the game is clever, funny, and just as its predecessor is delightfully challenging without being impossibly frustrating. GLaDOS comes back with her brilliantly sinister and passive-aggressive attitude and her interactions with Chell are hilarious. I already know this is my favorite game of the year; it can't be topped.
  50. Oct 8, 2011
    Great story, GREAT characters, and great music. It's somewhat short (finished single player in 6 hours), but I don't see that as a con really - it's a puzzle game and ended right when it should have ended. It didn't end too soon, or drag on... just the perfect timing really.

Everything about this game is just done with a lot of polish. I only recently finished it (got it on a $15 sale),

Everything about this game is just done with a lot of polish.

I only recently finished it (got it on a $15 sale), but if I knew it would have been this good I would have bought it on release. This will be a game that will be remembered throughout the times.
  51. Jul 22, 2012
    Obviously a 10/10. Tied with Skyrim for GOTY in my opinion. The story is amazing. The voice acting is amazing. The game also runs a bit smoother and seems a fair bit more polished than the original. And after you finish the game, co-op awaits you and a friend. Co-op is not just some tacked-on BS. It can stand up on its own. I got stuck a few times but I never had to cheat. OverallObviously a 10/10. Tied with Skyrim for GOTY in my opinion. The story is amazing. The voice acting is amazing. The game also runs a bit smoother and seems a fair bit more polished than the original. And after you finish the game, co-op awaits you and a friend. Co-op is not just some tacked-on BS. It can stand up on its own. I got stuck a few times but I never had to cheat. Overall I could not have asked for more. I'd give it 11/10 if I could. Expand
  52. Dec 23, 2011
    Now that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically andNow that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically and in the complexity of the puzzles. Oftentimes I would be bashing my head up against the wall trying to pull off complex stunts like in Portal I, when the solution would be much less about reflexes and much more about strategy. Not to mention that the storyline and voice acting are top notch. This is a game that is nearly literature in its depth, where you will actually feel emotionally moved and interested in the backstory and in the characters. However I was moved by GLADOS in the first Portal, the sequel expands this greatly. Really, if I was ever going to complain it would have been to say that $50 + DLC costs is a high price to pay for such a short experience, but now that it is cheaper I would say that this is the perfect experience for the perfect price. Expand
  53. Apr 30, 2011
    It's an excellent game. The Single Player is pretty long 7-10 hours. I must say the dialogues are fantastic and hilarious. Sometimes i did stop playing just to hear Wheatly talk. I have finished it 3 times and I'm still not tired of the dialogues. I will start playing coop soon , and I'm very happy that there is a whole new story in cooperative play! I will start creating maps soon and I'mIt's an excellent game. The Single Player is pretty long 7-10 hours. I must say the dialogues are fantastic and hilarious. Sometimes i did stop playing just to hear Wheatly talk. I have finished it 3 times and I'm still not tired of the dialogues. I will start playing coop soon , and I'm very happy that there is a whole new story in cooperative play! I will start creating maps soon and I'm really excited! I can keep myself entertained for weeks with custom maps. I'll be honest it's the best game of 2011 for me. Excellent job Valve! 10/10 Expand
  54. Dec 9, 2011
    There's really nothing I can add to the 2400 other reviews here. Portal 2 is really amazing, both in single player and co-op. One should really play Portal first, to get the appropriate context (and a slightly more gentle introduction to the portal mechanics).

The voice acting, visuals, and story are all extremely good, and of course the gameplay is classic Portal with some fun new additions.
  55. May 16, 2012
    Game is brilliant. You have to think, you have deep climate and smart humour. Playing Portal 2 I had some minor irritations (a brief feeling of being forced into prolonged series of tests, generally against the plot, just to make game-play longer), but I instantly forget them just when the outstandingly high level of humour appeared again and again and again... :D Sentenced like "BitGame is brilliant. You have to think, you have deep climate and smart humour. Playing Portal 2 I had some minor irritations (a brief feeling of being forced into prolonged series of tests, generally against the plot, just to make game-play longer), but I instantly forget them just when the outstandingly high level of humour appeared again and again and again... :D Sentenced like "Bit bigger than I expected. Not going to be able to just, you know, push it over. Have to apply some cleverness" or "I'm in space" are just unforgettable :D And the ending... OH. MY. GOD. :D

Cant wait for Portal 3!
  56. Jun 3, 2011
    What a fantastic game! One of Valves best, no doubt. It is well executed like the first, and unlike other sequels. The sounds, the artwork, the conception, all simply beautiful and magnificent as the first. On a personal note I preferred the stereotypical Apeture Labs testing setting, but I suppose they didn't make the game for me. I give it a ten out of ten with flying colors!
  57. Nov 23, 2011
    As perfect as it gets for a FPP (First Person PortalGun). The only flaw this has is that it isn't long enough. The Co-op playing is very good but also too short. It's beautifully design and rendered, brilliant level designs and has an excellent story with some top notch dialogue and voice-overs especially by Stephen Merchant and the great J.K. Simmons. Amazing stuff.
  58. Jun 7, 2011
    Valve does it again, should I say. Portal 2 does everything it was expected to do, and even more. It is an excellent game, innovative and mind-bending experience, that will make you play the single player through at least twice. The co-op was also something amazing, making the game even more fun, because is there anything more fun than playing with your friends? The graphics are what youValve does it again, should I say. Portal 2 does everything it was expected to do, and even more. It is an excellent game, innovative and mind-bending experience, that will make you play the single player through at least twice. The co-op was also something amazing, making the game even more fun, because is there anything more fun than playing with your friends? The graphics are what you expect from the Source-engine with a bit more detail. Portal 2 is a must buy, if you want to support people who know how to make quality games. Expand
  59. Jun 10, 2011
    This game really is a work of art. Everything from the controls, to the graphics (which I think look fantastic for this kind of game) and even the levels. The levels feel challenging, but not to the point where you may think it's impossible. The VO is absolutely stunning. Everything in this game is amazing! It's also made by Valve who are my favourite video game developers of all time.This game really is a work of art. Everything from the controls, to the graphics (which I think look fantastic for this kind of game) and even the levels. The levels feel challenging, but not to the point where you may think it's impossible. The VO is absolutely stunning. Everything in this game is amazing! It's also made by Valve who are my favourite video game developers of all time. This is an absolute must buy for all ages. Expand
  60. Feb 2, 2012
    I dont think this game is particularly amazing, it obviously draws alot from the first game and tries to keep it fresh but whilst playing it I wasnt particuarly keen to keep playing more to just get to the end and be done with it. It is long enough defininetly but heres my issues with it: The 'old' sections get boring fast, I feel they could of made that section so much better. TheI dont think this game is particularly amazing, it obviously draws alot from the first game and tries to keep it fresh but whilst playing it I wasnt particuarly keen to keep playing more to just get to the end and be done with it. It is long enough defininetly but heres my issues with it: The 'old' sections get boring fast, I feel they could of made that section so much better. The introduction of gels ruins the experience for me, it just doesnt fit into the flow of the game and it seems they were added as they ran out of things to do with blocks and portals. The plot in general is not that good..... but despite this it is still a worthy game just not incredible and most definitely not GOTY. Expand
  61. Dec 30, 2011
    This game was as long as it needed to be without overstaying it's welcome. Funny ,great puzzles , and a great new song by Jonathan Coulton. Then the addition of challenge maps , commentary on all levels with insight on the creation of the game , a Co-Op campaign , and Co-Op DLC just solidified this as one of Valve's Greatest
  62. Jul 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is an overall fun experience. Based on how much me and my friends giggled and laughed aloud, it was funny. Portal 2 may not appeal to all Portal fans, but if you can look over some of the changes, the game is great fun for everyone. Pick it up when you can, and have a friend for the Co-op campaign.
  63. Jul 21, 2011
    A very very good puzzle game with a brilliant story, great voices and sounds and a quite good graphic. I really like the portal games for the portals and that breathtaking story.
  64. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is everything great from the original mixed with even greater stuff of its own. The puzzles are the same as always, but there are several new elements such as the repulsion and propulsion gels, the light bridge, and the funnel, that make them seem new again. It's even funnier than the original, with the Stephen Merchant-voiced Wheatley as the comic relief and GLaDOS as alwaysPortal 2 is everything great from the original mixed with even greater stuff of its own. The puzzles are the same as always, but there are several new elements such as the repulsion and propulsion gels, the light bridge, and the funnel, that make them seem new again. It's even funnier than the original, with the Stephen Merchant-voiced Wheatley as the comic relief and GLaDOS as always providing the dark humor. The story delves into what happened before and after Portal and into the history of Aperture Science. It's still a bit short, but with a game like this who really cares? Expand
  65. Sep 29, 2013
    Fundamentally more or less the same experience as the first game added stuff (co-op mode), the puzzles are lucid, compelling, and most importantly: fun. Any sense of repetition is negated by the witty, well-written dialogue.
  66. Jun 10, 2015
    While the first Portal was funny, Portal 2 is simply hilarious in its narrative :)) I was laughing from the first seconds of the gameplay; the comedy club eases up a little further into the game, but things never take a gruesome motive, as was with the prequel. Gameplay is more polished than that of the first Portal, with several elements (such as light paths and liquid slips) added.While the first Portal was funny, Portal 2 is simply hilarious in its narrative :)) I was laughing from the first seconds of the gameplay; the comedy club eases up a little further into the game, but things never take a gruesome motive, as was with the prequel. Gameplay is more polished than that of the first Portal, with several elements (such as light paths and liquid slips) added. Solid spacial puzzle! Expand
  67. Nov 25, 2011
    I halved with my friend for this game the other day on Steam and I must say that... This game is absolutely amazing!!! I thought Portal was okay but it got old quickly but Portal 2 has kept me enthused the whole way with it's puzzles, cynical enemy GLaDOS, and the comic relief of Steve Merchant who plays your only friend in the game. I have not tried Co-Op yet and definitely will try it asI halved with my friend for this game the other day on Steam and I must say that... This game is absolutely amazing!!! I thought Portal was okay but it got old quickly but Portal 2 has kept me enthused the whole way with it's puzzles, cynical enemy GLaDOS, and the comic relief of Steve Merchant who plays your only friend in the game. I have not tried Co-Op yet and definitely will try it as me and my friend went halves on the double pack to save a couple dollars because I've simply been enjoying the story of the single player so much! Thanks for another great game!!! Expand
  68. Dec 10, 2011
    One word: Kicka*s. Valve did good. REAL good.
  69. Oct 15, 2011
    this game is awesome, but seems to have something missing to it compared to the original, but overall a fun experience, so buy it when you see it for 15-29.99 pounds, so... not 60 dollars....

a fun, but somewhat emptyish experience...
    which i think is just me...

80%
  70. Nov 1, 2011
    Agree @ Vescosein completely. I can't say enough how much i appreciate Valve for their innovative creativity and fair pricing system in a world of the gimmies and scam oriented marketing Valve is truly a breath of fresh air paired with unique products that stand the test of time. Thank You Valve for being my friend=] oh ya and i only just started playing Portal 2 but i already know itAgree @ Vescosein completely. I can't say enough how much i appreciate Valve for their innovative creativity and fair pricing system in a world of the gimmies and scam oriented marketing Valve is truly a breath of fresh air paired with unique products that stand the test of time. Thank You Valve for being my friend=] oh ya and i only just started playing Portal 2 but i already know it deserves every bit of the 10 i'm giving it! Expand
  71. Jun 23, 2013
    Portal 2 is better than Portal in every way possible. There are more puzzles that are more complicated, a plot with an unexpected twist, online gameplay, and SDK which we can make our own maps with. Portal 1 was great, but Portal 2 is better
  72. Oct 6, 2013
    When I first started this game I thought it was way too similar to the first one. But until you've completed it, you ain't seen nothing. New levels, gameplay elements, a new character and the actual game is quite long. To do the original Portal without cheating (looking up solutions) it took about 4 hours or less but this is 9 hours. There's AT LEAST twice, if not quadrupple the content inWhen I first started this game I thought it was way too similar to the first one. But until you've completed it, you ain't seen nothing. New levels, gameplay elements, a new character and the actual game is quite long. To do the original Portal without cheating (looking up solutions) it took about 4 hours or less but this is 9 hours. There's AT LEAST twice, if not quadrupple the content in terms of the length, so however long it took you to complete portal 1 in first try just triple it. From start to end, the game never fails to keep you entertained and laughing all the way. Very funny humour, easy to understand, excellent voice acting. Really, the only criticism I have of this game is the highly outdated graphics, but considering it's still using the Source engine it's not bad if you think of the graphics being 2004 standard. Want to know the greatest thing? The challenge mode no longer has least steps! YES!!!! No more stupid glitching. It's just least time and least portals. Considering the number of levels in this game, and the co-op there's easily enough content here to last even the most logical gamer a fair while. A must play if you've not played the original. It's better in every possible way. I don't think this game could have done more in any area. Gameplay objects such as bridges, propulsion gels and excursion funnels as well as drastic improvements in story-telling, level design, characters and overall length make this a true sequel. What's more, the co-op challenges are much more satisfying and fun than the campaign ones because of their witty humour and difficult but not frustrating (i.e. you can finish without a guide) level design. The ability to play cross-platform with PS3 players and official split-screen support make this game even more special. Add in the very intuitive level editor and community levels and you've got a complete package. Portal 2 is one of those games that defines the medium. It is educational, fun, funny and suitable for people of all ages and genders. There really is nothing like it. It's the only game which EVERYBODY should play due to its accessibility, quality and concept. Expand
  73. Oct 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fans of Portal, this is the game for you. Itâ Expand
  74. Oct 7, 2011
    This is the best game of the year. It is interesting and fun. A lot longer then the previous game. Also the price of the game is very low. Valve just keeps on amazing us with awesome PC games.
  75. Nov 30, 2011
    portal 1: I just couldn't stop playing
    portal 2: speechless, wow, awesome, beautiful, great.....One of the best ******* thing i ever played in my entire life, dude, omg, i love vale and his awesome games
  76. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to admit, I didn't have the slightest interest in playing portal 2 when it came it, mostly because it is a puzzle game, which I don't seem to buy into along with RPG's. After getting the Orange Box (including the original portal) and Skyrim and being proved wrong in both areas, I got P2 anyway. This may sound a bit fanboyish, but Portal 2 is perhaps the best game I've ever played: seemlessly mixing a well-told storyline plus a meaty co-op mode, I don't think I've ever had this much fun playing a video game. The puzzles are simple, but satisfying to solve and the characters remain endearing no matter what plot twists might occur. Then I had to put it down about 6 hours later, because I had finished it: don't get me wrong though, it was a perfect length, any longer and it would've just been more flabby than meaty, and I've still got about 75% of the co-op to play through. I throughly recommend this, along with every other valve title. I guess after saying that, I'll have to go play Left 4 Dead to prove my assumptions wrong again. Expand
  77. May 21, 2012
    This is Portal plus a 1000 awesomes. Stephen Merchant is super funny as Wheatley and made me cry in laughter quite a bit. GLaDOS is as funny as ever and there are some great ideas thrown into this sequel. The story is pristine and the 7 to 8 hours you spend playing the story make up for the price. The game has replay-ability for sure and the puzzles like the first aren't to easy but not toThis is Portal plus a 1000 awesomes. Stephen Merchant is super funny as Wheatley and made me cry in laughter quite a bit. GLaDOS is as funny as ever and there are some great ideas thrown into this sequel. The story is pristine and the 7 to 8 hours you spend playing the story make up for the price. The game has replay-ability for sure and the puzzles like the first aren't to easy but not to hard either.
    MUST BUY!
  78. Mar 15, 2012
    First non RPG or strategy game I have ever played that captivated me. I am normally very hostile to games that do not make you think, this is the first non RPG or strategy game that this was not true about. I have bought this game as a diversion, not a challenge but I changed my mind as soon as I started playing it. Even the story is good, what is very unusual for such a game. One word toFirst non RPG or strategy game I have ever played that captivated me. I am normally very hostile to games that do not make you think, this is the first non RPG or strategy game that this was not true about. I have bought this game as a diversion, not a challenge but I changed my mind as soon as I started playing it. Even the story is good, what is very unusual for such a game. One word to describe it: Amazing Expand
  79. Oct 26, 2011
    Incredible amount IF you are into puzzle solving and semi-complex humor (which I am). The story unfolds very well, ridiculous amount of laughs and the Graphics of the Source engine have been improved enough to no make it sub-par. A hands-down recommendation to anyone who has enjoyed Portal or any puzzle platformer etc ... Nice thing with Valve is you get free DLC and maps at a decent rateIncredible amount IF you are into puzzle solving and semi-complex humor (which I am). The story unfolds very well, ridiculous amount of laughs and the Graphics of the Source engine have been improved enough to no make it sub-par. A hands-down recommendation to anyone who has enjoyed Portal or any puzzle platformer etc ... Nice thing with Valve is you get free DLC and maps at a decent rate and coop with a friend can be amazing fun. Expand
  80. Oct 27, 2011
    Simply a great game. The story is interesting, puzzles are well-designed, plus the humour and co-op mode. You want to play, and play. A must-have for everyone. Keep up the good work, Valve!
  81. Oct 29, 2011
    In 2007 was launched on Orange Box, a collection with Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal, a game that among these heavyweights not gained much attention, but soon won the critics and audiences with its clever puzzles, a bizarre humor and a brand new sense of physical and space.

Now, four years later, Valve launches Portal 2, which adds a dozen new features to the game, including the awaited multiplayer co-op.

In Portal 2 we have the return of Chell, protagonist of the first game who wakes up back in Aperture Laboratories. But at this time the labs are in ruins, dominated by plants, which by the way are not able to perform tests.

The changes in the game are featured early on the beginning. The lonely and depressed mood of the first game disappears with the arrival of Wheatley, a clumsy robot who helps the protagonist to flee from his room.

In this game we have a charismatic cast, ranging from sarcastic GLaDOS, the villain of the first game until the aforementioned Wheatley, and Cave Johnson, president and founder of Aperture Laboratories. All these characters will serve to the unfolding of a complex plot full of twists, secrets and several references to the first game (and Half-Life), which will be able to crack a smile on the faces of fans.

But not just story a game lives. The sequel has several new features for the mechanic, ranging from platforms that you throw into the air, to the entertained propulsion, repulsion and conversion gels, among other changes. All these things will help you go through the test chambers that are larger than those of his predecessor.

To complete the package has the exhilarating multiplayer mode. Forget that thing of shooting alone zombies in Left4Dead. Here, if you do not work as a team, you'll never win.

The mode has a clever system that allows players performs pings to understand even if they do not speak the same language or have a microphone. There is even an online store to buy and trade items to customize your robot. But the items are expensive and their purchase is not worth it, but it's a great idea from Valve. The Source, Valve's engine, continues to create a beautiful game, without lag the PC, even when there is a lot of action happening or huge scenarios.

Another aspect that evolves over the first game is the soundtrack. Portal had virtually no music, something that has completely changed in the sequel. The soundtrack is much more relevant and present, accurately pointing out the moments of thriller and action, and changing over the player's progress in the chambers. The voice acting in this game is amazing. All voices are excellent. The cast of celebrities includes Stephen Merchant (of The Office) and J. K. Simons (J.J. Jameson from Spider-Man films) who give life and unique personality to the characters.

Portal 2 presents few problems. One of them (and probably the worse) are the many loading screens. They annoy especially at moments of exploration, where they break the rhythm of the game.

Another problem is the miss of what to do at the finish of the game. The achievements do not give much reason to play it again. Luckily the game provides hours of fun before finishing.

Undoubtedly, Portal 2 is bigger and better than its predecessor. Some glitches here and there but nothing to spoil the integrity of the work which is already one of the best titles of the year so far.
  82. Mar 22, 2012
    I really enjoyed it. I don't know why, but I feel like Valve was "milking" the Portal franchise after the success of the first game. I also think it lacks the simplicity of the first game with new stuff, such as the gels and the "deeper" story. Still very enjoyable though.
  83. May 10, 2012
    I didn't expect that the sequel to Portal would be as nice as the original but in fact it was better. I enjoyed every bit of the story, the amazing end and most importantly the ability to play online with other people!
  84. Nov 2, 2011
    This game has more originality and character in one level than most big budget, 'big men with big guns' blockbusters have in all of their various iterations. Using the portal device to hurl yourself across a chasm to land perfectly on a precariously dangling platform gives the player a genuine sense of power and achievement unlike any other in computer gaming. A work of art, and mostThis game has more originality and character in one level than most big budget, 'big men with big guns' blockbusters have in all of their various iterations. Using the portal device to hurl yourself across a chasm to land perfectly on a precariously dangling platform gives the player a genuine sense of power and achievement unlike any other in computer gaming. A work of art, and most importantly, damn good fun. Expand
  85. Nov 7, 2011
    Hilarious, a complete and utter work of genius. Brilliantly designed and scripted. An absolute joy to play and probably the first game that actually made me belly laugh.
  86. Nov 30, 2011
    Bests the original in almost every way. Dialogue is spot on, graphics scale well for older computers, game-play is terrific and the difficulty curve is perfect. The only thing that it doesn't best from the original is how you almost get funneled into portals when you are falling. This is only a minor change though, as portal placement is still one of the harder skills in the game. GOTY forBests the original in almost every way. Dialogue is spot on, graphics scale well for older computers, game-play is terrific and the difficulty curve is perfect. The only thing that it doesn't best from the original is how you almost get funneled into portals when you are falling. This is only a minor change though, as portal placement is still one of the harder skills in the game. GOTY for an action puzzler. Sorry Catherine. Expand
  87. Mar 7, 2012
    Portal 2 is absolutely incredible from start to finish. There is nothing not to like about this game and it shows in every scene that ValvE has STILL GOT WHAT IT TAKES TO KICK ASS! (even thought they release a game like once a decade.)

At first your might think that they wonky robot that wakes you is a bad idea, but trust me he is awesome and everything fits PERFECTLY! (especially the potato, god I love that humor.)

I really want to say thank you to Valve and I did say thank you by buying this game for both my PS3 and on STEAM for a friend.

I did not want this experience to end, it was so much fun, especially by the time you get to the old aperture labs, and start hearing J.K. Simmons (Cave Johnson) with his unmatched, hilarious catch-22 wit. Cave johnson made this game for me!

This is the difference between a company like Valve (REAL GAMERS) and a company like EA (MONEY GRUBBING CORPORATE WHORES). Both can make an obscene amount of dough, but only one can get you off, Valve.

And now to rant - You see kids, EA hired Martin Sheen to voice act in ME2 and 3, because they are morons and don't know a damn thing about "atmosphere" EA did not re-hire the same guy who did the music from ME (big mistake). Martin Sheen is a very distinctive voice but it DOESN'T WORK, and the music from ME 2 and ME 3 is a complete re-hash of ME, but not nearly as complete as ME. There were more original and good tracks in ME than there were in ME2 and 3 combined. EA thinks that none of these things matter, that as long as the game box says "Mass Effect 3" you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a real BioWare game.

Valve is not like that. Portal 2 did not cut corners. The atmosphere is dripping with real, underground, inspired, artistic, and imaginative futuristic robot armageddon. The music and sound effects are not simply resampled from the first game and the voice acting is superb and perfectly matched to the game. And, its also a damn funny game. AND (big and here) IT IS FUN TO PLAY!

The mechanics are not boring, the puzzles are interesting, the game remains funny and fun and though provoking throughout the entire experience.

All I can say is that I loved this game and I am pre-ordering ANY game that ValvE does in house.

L4D = awesome
    HL2 = Awesome
    Portal = Awesome

I used to say, I wish every game was made by either Valve, Id, or Bethesda. I used to say that until Rage came out and Skyrim really did not innovate (skyrim was fun but it was not more than oblivion with better graphics in a different location. I put three hundred hours into Oblivion and I put 75 into Skyrim... it just was not innovative enough to retain my attention, been there done that in Oblivion).

Anyway, I'm rambling but the point is this. If you have not bought this game, buy it, end of story. I don't lie.
  88. Nov 8, 2011
    This is one of the best games that I have ever played. The best is TF2, but Portal 2 has the best single player in any game I have ever played. It is challenging, funny, and engaging all at the same time. By the end, I had fallen in love with all of the new characters they introduced and never wanted the game to end. I actually shed a tear when it was over. I wish I could forget everythingThis is one of the best games that I have ever played. The best is TF2, but Portal 2 has the best single player in any game I have ever played. It is challenging, funny, and engaging all at the same time. By the end, I had fallen in love with all of the new characters they introduced and never wanted the game to end. I actually shed a tear when it was over. I wish I could forget everything about it so I could experience it all again. Expand
  89. Nov 8, 2011
    Here it is, VALVe taking advantage over their attempts once again, and let me say how well they succeeded at it this time. Pretty well. Portal 2 is the sequel to their "test" that was simply an extra on the Orange Box bundle pack and that was even free on steam for several times.

This time, making it an official game, all their effort was put into it, taking the successful gimmick from the first game and enhancing it with additional features such as the repulsion/propulsion/conversiton gel, excursion funnel, faith plates and discouragement beams, filling it with a lot more pop culture than before, having more hilarious situations and now with an actual plot, this game is just steps away from being perfect.

The game takes place around 200 years after the first one, Chell was put into life support because of a mysterios worker (see lab rat comic for details) and after waking up, you're greeted to a new character which is by far the most important in the whole game, Wheatley. This british accented core takes you back to the aperture science building just so you can notice that everything is destroyed and the building is filled with plants and sorts of forests.

Even though it's using the source engine, the game has amazing graphics, showing that even source can be upgraded sometime without messing with anything else. Gameplay wise, it's pretty much the same from the last game, with the differences being the additional features presented in the game and the new layout of the test chambers. The soundtrack is simply incredible and it fits perfectly well with this game, being smooth in the background while you focus on solving the puzzles. All the voice acting in this game is perfect, the voice actors for Wheatley, GLaDOS and Cave were outstanding in their skill to do the voice of the characters and implement their personalities even more.

Great Co-op, great SP, great DLC, great game, great everything, WONDERFUL ENDING. Totally worth the money
  90. Nov 22, 2011
    What happening with me i'll gonna be crazy with the puzzles and glados e the little robot, is the best game that i play, side by sibe whith skyrim. portal 2 is the best thing of 2011 and the better game of all time, emotion times, execiting times, crazys times with the puzzles is the fanstastic adventure i recommendy for everryone!
  91. Nov 13, 2011
    till like couple years back i was a "fancy games" gamer ... you know by fancy i mean any game that looked good and had a lot of action even if it was mindless. i took video games as a form of entertainment. but today i know and have felt very well that gaming is an unique art which actually is a beautiful amalgamation of many arts... a kind in which not only one art works well buttill like couple years back i was a "fancy games" gamer ... you know by fancy i mean any game that looked good and had a lot of action even if it was mindless. i took video games as a form of entertainment. but today i know and have felt very well that gaming is an unique art which actually is a beautiful amalgamation of many arts... a kind in which not only one art works well but everything goes together to bring in front of you a masterpiece. every masterpiece (if it's a masterpiece) is different from the others. i know not every game hits that spot but when they do they absorb you. PORTAL 2 is one of them. i actually was not sure if i'd enjoy this game cause when the last time i played portal 1, i was like "eh?! if i wanna solve puzzles i'll get a dedicated puzzle game" which don't interest me to be honest. so i admit i downloaded a pirated copy of this game to see if i could enjoy it or not. i mean ign, gamespot, whatnot etc. have been raving about this game giving it full or almost full. so even after downloading i didn't play it. when i finished playing a lot of other big title which actually didn't satisfy and met my expectations, then i thought let's try it out. and here my review goes:
    AUDIO- 10.0- i know i'm giving it too much to be true but when you'll play this game and if you agree with my view on "GAMING AS AN ART", you'll find that the audio totally supports the game's style and direction. i mean there are very few sound elements in this game that you can compare to their authentic real counter-parts which have been done well but the other elements are totally pure and beautiful imagination of the guys who are part of the sound department in this game. whether its music or the turret robots who are so cleanly showing they're "camouflaging" their "intentions" of hurting you, everything is just unique and perfect. the nature of ridicule & patronizing in their remarks were effortlessly working to irritate me so that my desperation to get rid of them is only catalyzed further like you wanna get rid of a bully who keeps annoying you or irritating you for no reason. YEAH so coming to the dialogues now. GLADdos was voiced in such a humane manner that you definitely could feel the conflict that's present subtly in her remarks. and the same goes for wheatly who was a typical example of the fact "you only get to know someone when you hand them the power." these characters despite being robots were only and actually characterizing humans in someway or other who, you can imagine, created them. that great the audio overall is.
    GRAPHICS- 8.0- this is for sure that this game was never meant to boast about it's graphics but it's art direction and visual quality is such that you are easily able to feel that you're a part of this game.. it's world (which actually is only a very gigantic lab) although it doesn't come close to anything that possibly can happen or exist in reality.
    GAMPLAY and STORY- 10.0- before i start for this, please note i took two categories together because this game calls for it. the gameplay is a part of the story. level design and the puzzles are just nothing short of awe and amazement. the mechanics involved in the game were the simplest i've come across since a long time. you only need to move, jump, crouch and shoot your portal gun. the devs did this with the purpose that i believe was so you don't have to keep track of your reflexes all the time (like generally you've to in today's FPS games) and you can easily concentrate on the puzzles using your highly intellectual, logical brain. (yes even i didn't know that i just wasn't a precise-key-hitting-at-the-right-moment-adrenaline-junky but also had a mind and a brain that worked for higher purposes of life.) but everytime it was the persistence and the actions of our silent character Chell that played one of the key elements in the story. And with that it was GLADdos and wheatley's reactions everytime that were complimentary to the story-telling. now to the story, usually some games, especially RPGs, are known to have protagonists that are morally or socially "clean-slate" for you to forge your own character. Well in portal 2, you've a morally, conclusively "clean-slate" story. At the end of the game you'll feel something about the characters, situations...etc. overall story that i think will be different for someone else's and which is something i don't have words for because that's how this game becomes so personal to you. (P.S.- don't compare your feelings or conclusions of this game to someone else's because Valve made this game for you and not someone else.)
    So after experiencing something like this game which not only satisfied me but also touched me to the core of my heart and gave me a reason to be proud of being a gamer, I knew this game is a must buy because again it was definitely made for me.
  92. Nov 11, 2011
    in one word this is game of the year great game in all areas voices graphic game play funny story and voices and we can't forget multiplier is very good and something new this is a fantastic game
  93. Nov 12, 2011
    Great game! The game let you play with runing and thinking. It gave us an new way to play FPS game witch is very exciting. The story is also pretty good. Valve never disappoints us.
  94. Nov 11, 2011
    I really loved this game. It has great puzzles and the story was really well put together. I personally thought Wheatly was awesome lol. I highly recommend this game if you like solving puzzles and are looking for an interesting story while you play your games. I can see how this game may not be for everyone but I think that if you give this game a chance then you will come to really enjoy it.
  95. Oct 3, 2012
    A really nice sequel to Portal. Much better graphics and gameplay. Valve took the brilliance of Portal and turned it into a full-blown title. Unlike Portal 1, where you could spawn NPCs and weapons from Halflife 2 using the command console, Portal 2 is using the newer source engine.

The graphics are brilliant, the shading and physics were things that attracted me to get this. Good

Good game, worth it definetely!
  96. Nov 13, 2011
    Since MetaCritic only allows short reviews, I will keep this short and sweet. Portal 2 is an amazing game. Breakdown:

Gameplay: 10/10. Awesome and challenging puzzles.
    Story: 7.5/10. It is funny and has awesome plot twists, but it really isn't deep at all.
    Graphics: 9/10. Great graphics and low system requirements.
    Sound: 10/10. Pretty good sound, but AWESOME music.

Overall: 9.3/10
  97. May 11, 2012
    Portal 2, Game of the Year, and a must purchase.
    Portal 2, Game of the Year, and a must purchase.
    I find it so frustrating to see people putting scores in the mixed and negative end of the spectrum for reasons such as not appreciating the humour, or finding the game not aimed at their demographic. While I understand all reviews are going to be somewhat subjective are people really that incapable of understanding that if a game has to be based on what everyone likes then we are just going to have games that are half decent at everything instead of amazing at just a few things?

How about recognising Portal 2's extension upon Portal's brilliance, how it took a game, so close to perfection and blew everyone's minds into oblivion when they developed a game that completely rewrote how perfection should be perceived. That is what the developers have done here. As a game enthusiast - but not a true gamer, I have great respect for a developer who develops behind the doors, responding little to the push and shove of corporate media and hungry investors, or the manipulative maneuvers of the gaming audience whom wish for nothing but a game designed just for them.

Portal 1 was the true baby of the developers at Valve, and Portal 2 is what happens when the baby grows up into a full game. A laundry list of intuitive and complex puzzles, a handful of interesting and engaging characters and possibly the most rewarding gameplay that I have experienced from a single player in my lengthy 20 year gaming career.

Completing each puzzle at first seems like a struggle, there is a moment where you think to yourself "How am I supposed to do this?" this is the moment where most games of today hold your hand unashamedly; deterring you from being intellectually challenged or even challenged at all. Not Portal 2, Portal 2 has a great set of tutorial levels at the start that provide story, structure and a learning curve that many developers could aspire to... copy. Not tiring for even the greatest of gamers these initial levels introduce the many facets of Portal gameplay for the new and experienced and get everyone ready for the challenges ahead. I never felt like I was drowning because of not being told about a certain aspect of a puzzle room - as each puzzle was cleverly marked with particular coloured panels that were capable of interacting with certain devices, such as your portal gun; however at the same time I was always challenged to work out how I could use the set of devices to complete a certain objective.

All of the above is as true of co-op as it is in single player, but co-op just takes the cake (and makes it a lie). The cooperative experience here is as refined as any you would find in any game that ever existed, a great length and a great many puzzles, the same tutorial level structure that you experience in the singleplayer but to get you comfortable with having 4 portals and 2 people involved in the puzzle - as well as challenging 2 minds at the same time.

If there is anything bad about this game, it's that some people unfortunately cannot see it's greatness.
  98. Nov 14, 2011
    Portal 2 delivers a great single player and probably the finest example of a fun puzzle co-op game to date.
    The source engine while is showing it's age is being pushed to it's very limits to provide some beautiful visuals and while the core gameplay mechanics remain very much true to the first game everything is expanded on and some great new physics features added providing entire newly scopes to the puzzles.
  99. Nov 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best puzzle game money can buy. You are in an underground research facility at the mercy of a sadistic AI, whoâ Expand
  100. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is just perfect, the dialogue, history, soundtrack, graphics, everything on the right place, the ending is one of the best endings in game history, every person in the world must play this game.
  101. Dec 8, 2012
    A Really good Valve game, i really liked it. Just ignore what them low-score trolls say, this game is great. Re-playability isn't the best ever, as you already know the jokes and puzzles. But luckily there's the PTI, which allows you to get community maps and make portal an infinite game. Also, if you have a friend who also has this game, you can play co-op, with of course GLaDOS, and someA Really good Valve game, i really liked it. Just ignore what them low-score trolls say, this game is great. Re-playability isn't the best ever, as you already know the jokes and puzzles. But luckily there's the PTI, which allows you to get community maps and make portal an infinite game. Also, if you have a friend who also has this game, you can play co-op, with of course GLaDOS, and some death-related jokes etc. It's also quite funny when you're in a Faith plate test, and you have to grab a cube. And just after your friend gets the cube, he falls in the water. Cracks me up for couple of minutes. Anyways, great game, great Co-op, good community maps and certainly worth 20 Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)