8.8

1. Nov 26, 2012
    I found Portal 2 the best game I have ever played. Have read some of the negative reviews here and they are all without any basis in reality. The game is not short at all, It is endless, check out some of the insane community chambers if you doubt me. The story mode is exactly as long as it needs to be, for a game of this type. The story sits within the game like a parable that lends someI found Portal 2 the best game I have ever played. Have read some of the negative reviews here and they are all without any basis in reality. The game is not short at all, It is endless, check out some of the insane community chambers if you doubt me. The story mode is exactly as long as it needs to be, for a game of this type. The story sits within the game like a parable that lends some form of sanity to the madness of sitting and doing these fun little brain teasers, if it was any longer it would become stale. Where is the rule that longer is better? I played through Portal 2 with my PC plugged into my TV so my kids (5 and 8 yr old girls) could sit and watch, and they loved it too, "Daddy please play Portal 2 so we can watch", if that isn't the most ringing endorsement for a game I don't know what is, very few games are so good that people will happily sit and watch YOU play. Enjoy! Expand
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    Portal 2 is an atomic bomb. The single player mode is 2-3 times longer than Portal and offers many new options. The story is richer too.
    Once finished, I immediately played it again!
    Potentials as a series for Portal are vast and we are far from seeing the end. The co-op mode is also very entertaining. Creating four portals is a good twist to pass a level! Also, the Steam Workshop adds
    Once finished, I immediately played it again!
    Potentials as a series for Portal are vast and we are far from seeing the end.
    Also, the Steam Workshop adds a great value, with levels from players all around the globe.
    Portal opens your mind!
  3. Jan 4, 2013
    The first game brought us a whole new perspective to first person shooting, because you don't actually shoot people, but walls. Although it's criticized by some, the second one is completely entertaining and the story is very involving.
    Yes, I said the story is awesome. If you are saying that it is boring, try to complete the game more times, pick up all the details and you will realize something: Valve didn't write an obvious and crystal-clear script. The greatest satisfaction about this game is to pay attention at the "Easter-eggs" and at the little genially surprising details.
    If you didn't get it at the first time, try to search on the internet about all the game secrets; you may change your perspective about the story of Portal and Portal 2.
    Oh, and about the levels: well, yea, they are not so difficult, but you will find yourself thinking hard sometimes. However, I didn't find it disturbing with such a great screenplay running along with the puzzles.
  4. Jan 6, 2013
    This game was my first preorder i have ever made. Worth it. Great grahics, great scenario, music, a lot of fun etc. but puzzles are not good enough. There is challenge mode which i very liked. U are compared to other players in this so even want to be more better.
  5. Jan 8, 2013
    If you do not own this masterpiece, you must IMMEDIATELY purchase it - it is a truly wonderful adventure every time you play it. Of course, from Valve, that is to be expected; yet Portal 2 beat my own expectations by quite a lot - it is such a masterpiece. Buy it now.
  6. Jan 17, 2013
    I simply love this game, I believe this to be one of the best examples of how Modern gaming can go through. The characters you meet are fruitful and they don't feel just like mere robots ! That was already a huge surprise to me , a major improvement to what Portal 1 had . As a puzzle game , it did not disappoint , it simply delivers.. now I just hope Half-Life 3 will complete my love for Valve.
  7. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is not only Valve's masterwork, but one of, if not the, greatest video game I have ever played i
    my life. It is beautiful (even though it runs on a now nine-year old engine), innovative, and perhaps most of all, hilarious. This game is one of the few to make me laugh, cry (not really), and fell like a complete genius, sometimes all at once. It has a brilliant script, and everything GlaDOS, Cave, and Wheatly have to say is golden. If you have even a passing interest in gaming, or even if you don't, you owe it to yourself to play this masterpiece. I really cannot recomend this enough
  8. Feb 15, 2013
    This game is very different from most puzzle games. It has an amazing story line that I could not argue with, and not only that, but the story is kind of a mystery which Valve hides throughout the game. Not only is it a great puzzle game, but it also ranks in high for a great plat-former. The way you can launch yourself with this device is incredible and the tests are very mind-boggling.This game is very different from most puzzle games. It has an amazing story line that I could not argue with, and not only that, but the story is kind of a mystery which Valve hides throughout the game. Not only is it a great puzzle game, but it also ranks in high for a great plat-former. The way you can launch yourself with this device is incredible and the tests are very mind-boggling. My favorite part is that they decided to add a co-op mode to this, but when you beat all the levels you can play some more levels made by you the community. Overall I'd have to say this was the best puzzle game of the year. Expand
  9. May 25, 2013
    greatest puzzle game to date. a brilliant game. its also the funniest game to date. its just hilarious!!!! the puzzles here are just exellent, and their just in the right place, it makes you think, but it doesnt et irritating, and its always possible to find the solution. he game is super funny!!!! there are also a lot of elements that change the puzzles and make them much better!!!greatest puzzle game to date. a brilliant game. its also the funniest game to date. its just hilarious!!!! the puzzles here are just exellent, and their just in the right place, it makes you think, but it doesnt et irritating, and its always possible to find the solution. he game is super funny!!!! there are also a lot of elements that change the puzzles and make them much better!!!
    negatives: the graphics are old!! the game look pretty old. the other problema is that some of the locations feel repetetive and bland.
    beside this little issues this is a really fun and brilliant game!!!!!!
  10. May 29, 2013
    A fantastically fun adventure, with awesome characters, a dark and atmospheric environment, interesting storyline. One of my personal favorite games, and valve's best so far. Would recommend to anyone.
  11. Dec 1, 2013
    After the great game that was Portal, Portal 2 takes the original and makes it better in almost every possible way. The single player game is much longer now, there are more challenging puzzles, and there are different types of environments. In addition to Glados, Portal 2 introduces some new characters, the most significant being Wheatley and to say the least he is annoyingly funny. SinceAfter the great game that was Portal, Portal 2 takes the original and makes it better in almost every possible way. The single player game is much longer now, there are more challenging puzzles, and there are different types of environments. In addition to Glados, Portal 2 introduces some new characters, the most significant being Wheatley and to say the least he is annoyingly funny. Since its release, Valve have also provided a level editor as a free download so that you can make your own levels and share them on the Steam Workshop to share with others. Portal 2 is also great for multiplayer as you and a friend can play the co-op campaign and this provides some great challenges as you need to work together to solve the puzzles and reach the exit. If you haven't picked up Portal 2 yet, get it. Get your friends to pick it up too so then you can play the co-op campaign as well! Expand
  12. Jul 23, 2013
    To all the people giving bad reviews: did you guys even play the game?? if you did, then you should know it's a masterpiece. If you didn't, the please don't rate.
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    Can I remember the last time I had so much fun playing a game? Yes. But that's not the point. Now Portal 2 is here and does literally everything bigger and better than the first part. Now, where do I start? The writing? Brilliant. Better than most books. The characters? Rivaled only by the character quality you find in Rockstar games. The story? Extremely well done. The levels? Much moreCan I remember the last time I had so much fun playing a game? Yes. But that's not the point. Now Portal 2 is here and does literally everything bigger and better than the first part. Now, where do I start? The writing? Brilliant. Better than most books. The characters? Rivaled only by the character quality you find in Rockstar games. The story? Extremely well done. The levels? Much more diverse than in Portal and partly really challenging even for Portal veterans. The newly introduced mechanics? Genius. I can't wait for user created maps featuring all the new gadgets and technology in Portal 2. The length? Well, what do you expect from a first person action puzzle game? It's honestly a bit short but luckily the PC versions of Source games will always have creative minds on the Source SDK doing their job to keep you going back to the games. Oh, and what about the graphics and requirements? Stunningly beautiful and ridiculously low. You can basically run this on anything that operates with electric power, and it'll look great on any detail, partly thanks to the very nice art direction.
    My verdict? I will lose faith in humanity if this game won't be at least in the top 3 PC games of the year. If you're a cheapskate you might want to wait for it to drop in price but in any way I fully recommend this for purchase as soon as possible.
  14. Apr 28, 2011
    Revising my original rating after playing through the multiplayer campaign as well - it's shorter than the single player campaign, but a lot more fun. My original minuses were the day 1 DLC and the length of the game - I've come to realise that there is a lot of unlockable content in-game, and adding the length of the multiplayer campaign as well it's a reasonable length game (still a ripRevising my original rating after playing through the multiplayer campaign as well - it's shorter than the single player campaign, but a lot more fun. My original minuses were the day 1 DLC and the length of the game - I've come to realise that there is a lot of unlockable content in-game, and adding the length of the multiplayer campaign as well it's a reasonable length game (still a rip off retail here in Australia, but that applies to almost all games). The pluses remain - great visuals, story and dialogue, clever puzzles and plenty of humour. Expand
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a wonderful, fleshed-out sequel. The success of the first Portal meant that Valve had a lot of reason to sink more time and money into 2, and it shows. The test chambers feel broken down and old, but still deliver the portal puzzling gameplay that was so excellent in 1, with several added features like a flinging plate, lasers, and light bridges, among others.

The story is

The story is better than the first, if possible. Better voice acting (and more of it) make Wheatly and GladOS excellent allies/villains. Of course, there are twists that I don't want to spoil, but it's worth picking up for the story alone.

The excellent combination of story and gameplay make this an excellent game, and well worth your money. Indeed, it's $10 cheaper than most AAA releases, and exponentially deeper and more entertaining than your standard FPS. I highly recommend it.

Also, please note how I actually reviewed the game, like a proper review is supposed to, and didn't just give it a 0, b*tch about how short it is (it's longer than the first one that everyone loved), and whine about how it costs money to buy some optional skins. I'm willing to bet none of them actually played the game through to its conclusion.
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    I can't understand why people are rating this so low. 4 hours of gameplay? It took me 6 hours, and theres co-op which is another 5 or so hours. Day one DLC? There isn't any, just some >>OPTIONAL
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is terrific. Very rewarding to play, the puzzles make you feel clever without giving away the whole barn. People who really loved the first game will certainly find this one easier to play through but still feels challenging none the less. The DLC is vanity only so don't think you are missing out on anything if you don't purchase it.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    After looking through the negative reviews i have come to realize this game deserves a much higher user score than it has. Much of the whineing is about A) The potato sack ARG which isn't the game itself and can be ignored. and B) The DLC, which is only skins for co-op bots that have no impact on gameplay whatsoever. If you remove those reviews from the equation this game probably gets an 8+
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    The carpet bombing of negative reviews are based entirely on lies and misinformation. The game is not short (the single player will take you at least 7-9 hours to beat alone, along with the fairly beefy co-op mode on top of that), there is no day-one DLC that is of any significance whatsoever, and it is not a console port. The writing is funny and fantastic, and the gameplay builds veryThe carpet bombing of negative reviews are based entirely on lies and misinformation. The game is not short (the single player will take you at least 7-9 hours to beat alone, along with the fairly beefy co-op mode on top of that), there is no day-one DLC that is of any significance whatsoever, and it is not a console port. The writing is funny and fantastic, and the gameplay builds very well on the original. Sad to see people getting their panties in such a knot over nothing. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    You'd enjoy this game if you like puzzle-games, platforms and think. But you'd love it if you have followed all the valve ARG and played portal 1. It's a MUST HAVE game for all the gamers. Best game since Half Life. Buy it, it's worth the price, and try not to use a walkthrough or cheating, it will destroy your fun.
  21. Jul 29, 2011
    An already original and fantastic game got a sequel. I instantly knew that I HAD to get this game as soon as possible, because I knew I would love it, since the first one was so great. It turns out I was completely right about that. Portal 2 is much longer than its predecessor, it adds more characters, an actual plot, and it also adds many new puzzle elements to an already fun gameplay,An already original and fantastic game got a sequel. I instantly knew that I HAD to get this game as soon as possible, because I knew I would love it, since the first one was so great. It turns out I was completely right about that. Portal 2 is much longer than its predecessor, it adds more characters, an actual plot, and it also adds many new puzzle elements to an already fun gameplay, things such as excursion funnels, repulsion and propulsion gels, aerial faith plates, etc. The game manages to keep on a similar style of addictive humour as the first one, and it has fantastic voice actors who really have done a brilliant job. This game shouldn't leave you bored, because the puzzles are much more diverse now than in the first game and there are a lot of them. Additionally the game does bring up a huge variety of emotions throughout the story, both happy and sad. Portal 2 really is a complete package, because on top of an incredibly fun single-player story mode, it manages to have gorgeous graphics, a really great in-game music, and even a co-op play. I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but a game that can challenge you both logically and emotionally is a game really worth trying. Portal 2 gets a golden star from me, no doubt about it. Expand
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    Anybody complaining about day-1 DLC and giving it a '0' score is acting extremely naive about the industry today (Rockstar, Bioware), and Portal's isn't even essential or story related. It's cosmetic stuff. Get over it, don't like it, don't buy it. Could be much worse...How 'bout the 'fans' support this amazingly well-written, mind-bending effort with the most refreshing gameplay you'llAnybody complaining about day-1 DLC and giving it a '0' score is acting extremely naive about the industry today (Rockstar, Bioware), and Portal's isn't even essential or story related. It's cosmetic stuff. Get over it, don't like it, don't buy it. Could be much worse...How 'bout the 'fans' support this amazingly well-written, mind-bending effort with the most refreshing gameplay you'll find today instead of bashing it for menial things. Length is hardly an issue considering the addition of Co-Op levels, adding to the complexity in incredibly varied ways. Some people should grow up and appreciate one of the few unique and fan-pleasing developers left. This is not a game forum for people to cry about their lack of confidence in the direction of the gaming industry, it's a place to judge the quality of a game for others to check and review; in this case, Portal 2 is a fantastic effort overall and more fun playing Co-Op than you'll have with any other game out there! Expand
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    Perfect comedic tone and oodles of atmosphere throughout. Wonderful voice acting across the board and superbly well designed puzzles. Valve have crafted a sublime sequel that improves upon its predecessor in every respect.
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    If you liked Portal and you don't have a stick up your ass, you will love this game. I started playing and couldn't stop, ended up beating it in one sitting, took about 5 hours, haven't touched coop yet but I'm sure that will be fun too. I can't wait to make some custom maps using the new gels and stuff. I just wish there were a few more puzzles in the campaign instead of all theIf you liked Portal and you don't have a stick up your ass, you will love this game. I started playing and couldn't stop, ended up beating it in one sitting, took about 5 hours, haven't touched coop yet but I'm sure that will be fun too. I can't wait to make some custom maps using the new gels and stuff. I just wish there were a few more puzzles in the campaign instead of all the backrooms stuff. The exploration down below was really cool though, getting to know more back story. I'm trying not to post any spoilers. I felt the inclusion of the "interactive teaser" was really stupid, however I'm not detracting from the score for that because it isn't required for anything. Another thing I'm not detracting for is the cash shop, because it doesn't matter. They had success with the one for TF2 so it makes sense that they'd add the same thing to Portal. If you don't want to use it, don't. I don't know where people are getting this "please don't turn off your console" thing, because I NEVER saw this. There are some signs that they made this game console friendly, but it's not with game breaking **** like the retarded enemies in Crysis 2. The ending was spoiled for me, so I unfortunately saw it coming, but that didn't make it any worse. I can't believe some people are that pathetic that they get their jollies ruining things for other people. All in all I loved this game and Valve did a great job. I do think that countdown thing was ****, however, because it became very obvious that it was rigged to end at the exact time that it did, and that we didn't help a damn thing. Expand
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    Enjoyable as the previous Portal with sections of almost Bioshock like scenery/aura. Dark/sneaky humor still present as ever.

Co-op is a blast, no if and or buts.
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is extremely well polished, and it's all the little things that show off this fact. Ignore all the 4can morons who are trying to wage an immature campaign because they haven't got a new COD game in the last 3 months to waste their time on. This game is good and worth the money, but if 50 bucks isn't your thing wait a few months and I'm sure it will be a week end deal.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    I think a lot of people aren't judging this for what it is. It's a nich 3D FPS puzzle game. It's not Battlefield 3 with Portal guns, it's not a sci-fi GTA. If you go into it expecting anything other than a series of training rooms (puzzles) with a sprinkling of narrative you will be disappointed. If you expect this to be a game that you can't finish in a weekend, you will be disappointedI think a lot of people aren't judging this for what it is. It's a nich 3D FPS puzzle game. It's not Battlefield 3 with Portal guns, it's not a sci-fi GTA. If you go into it expecting anything other than a series of training rooms (puzzles) with a sprinkling of narrative you will be disappointed. If you expect this to be a game that you can't finish in a weekend, you will be disappointed (for the record, most games can be finished in a weekend, Disgaea this is not). A lot of people seem to be upset (no, actually downright furious) for some reason, at the inclusion of an in-game store where you can purchase cosmetic upgrades for your co-op character. It's very misleading to be calling it "DLC", as traditional DLC for games involves new playable content. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm OK with having more options as opposed to less options. I probably won't buy anything but I'm happy it's there. This also is a good sign that Valve intends to support the game for some time, possibly adding regular free content ala TF2 or L4D2. Expand
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game. Suffers lack of replayability like all puzzle games, but certainly worth it.

Game has been out for 13 hours. Most of that time in the early hours. Amazing how many people sat through it start to end while hating it all the way.
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    Screw the haters, this game is the best thing since sliced cake*. Better graphics, better game play, longer (steam stats is broken, campaign is 8-10 hours and thats not including co-op). Brilliant, funny, innovative, challenging, with an epic scope. If I've been payed in potatos by Valve, who knows how many they must have given all the professional reviewers who are raving. I digress. Buy it.

30. Apr 19, 2011
    I blew through the single-player campaign from release to 8:00 AM local time. The pacing was excellent, and the story and puzzles carried well throughout the game.

The environments were rich and detailed, and gave an excellent feeling of continuity to the story. The sheer sense of scope, and the transitions between closed and open environments gives an excellent sense of smallness in the game.

New game mechanics are everywhere, and the game assumes you know the tricks to all of the old puzzles, which can lead to a few moments of frustration, but once you get the hang of old tricks, you're pretty well set. New tricks, of course, are developed along with the game. Mistakes, of course, can be made, and will be made, but it's often possible to complete the puzzles in a single life.

The script is wonderful, with a return to some of the same humor as before, save with less focus on quippy lines and a more targeted and interesting running commentary designed to evoke a reaction from the player. On me, these were particularly effective, and led to a great deal of emotion and feeling. A trick is to allow yourself to react to the words, instead of fighting or ignoring them. It leads to a much richer experience than merely wandering through corridors blank-faced.

Complaints about cosmetic DLC is simply absurd. Where many companies that charge for DLC have fatal bugs, this has manages to run smoothly on my machine and have no noticeable ones in the course of the game that I found. With that, I've purchased a finished product. Simply put, it was an excellent game, and well worth my time. I haven't played the cooperative version yet, but once my friends have finished it, I will no doubt give that a spin too.
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    Hotly anticipated as Valve's first release for years, Portal 2 isn't going to disappoint fans of portals, testing or dark humour. Awakening in the ruins of Aperture Science, it's clear hundreds of years have passed since your previous victory over the demented GLaDOS. The facility is choked with plant life and decay and very different from the sterile test chambers of its predecessor.Hotly anticipated as Valve's first release for years, Portal 2 isn't going to disappoint fans of portals, testing or dark humour. Awakening in the ruins of Aperture Science, it's clear hundreds of years have passed since your previous victory over the demented GLaDOS. The facility is choked with plant life and decay and very different from the sterile test chambers of its predecessor. After a quick refresher course on how Portals work, you're thrust into a world dripping with charm, black comedy and memorable characters.

Portal 2 has a small cast but each and every one of them has lines that will leave you rolling on the floor. To keep this spoiler free, I shan't reveal anything about the plot but the performances by Ellen McLain, Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons are genuinely wonderful, bringing a wonderful spark of human energy, fear, malice, ambition and sarcasm to a game populated by robots, AIs and speaker grilles. The graphics have improved as well, especially with the plant life invading the facility and the gel mechanics bring some wonderful fluid mechanics to the game. The Source engine is of course showing its age but Valve are working their hardest to keep it at the wonderful balance between pretty and capable on lower end machines.

Length-wise, I wish Portal 2 could be longer but the campaign feels right. Mind bending puzzles, frantic dashes into the bowels of the facility, all the while with the story of Aperture unfolding around you, something that was not explored deeply in the original. I have no doubt as well that community will provide some truly logic defying maps to extend both the solo and co-operative lifespan of the game. Humorous, intelligent and above all fun. Portal 2 is a strong candidate for Game of the Year.
  32. Apr 19, 2011
    I am quite shocked by the reviews. Most of them criticise the ARG rather than the actual game itself. You didn't have to buy the games, that was your choice. The actual game, Portal 2, is absolutely fantastic for the Portal lovers. I have never been more impressed with a game, although people say the story is on the short side. I found it a great length, and it does have re-playability asI am quite shocked by the reviews. Most of them criticise the ARG rather than the actual game itself. You didn't have to buy the games, that was your choice. The actual game, Portal 2, is absolutely fantastic for the Portal lovers. I have never been more impressed with a game, although people say the story is on the short side. I found it a great length, and it does have re-playability as it is such a good plot line. The co-op is expansive and is great to do with friends. And it has hats - who doesn't like hats? The company have to make some profit with these DLC's but, again, you do not need to buy them. Do not see them as part of the game, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT.

I understand people's points of view, but see this game as a great sequel with a great story and great characters who you can love. The puzzles are as good as ever, maybe easy in places but nothing short of what they were. You CANNOT call it a cash-in. It is a game, a fully-functioning fun and brilliant game.

I recommend it, especially for the price which is worth it I can assure you. Buy this game with no regrets and enjoy it.

Thanks for reading, I hope this eases your minds about this game because the negative reviews so far seem to be from a bias point of view which I do not hold.

Cheers,
    xaqread
  33. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game, too many trolls on here who want baby fed. Coop is amazing and the game is very enjoyable. Good graphics, hilarious commentary from Glados, and all around polished game. Bravo Valve!
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    This was a simply amazing game. The writing, dialogue, and gameplay are all top notch. The Co-Op is endless hours of fun, and will continue to be. To address the trolls:
    1. The "DLC" on the Xbox 360 version was added because Microsoft would not allow the In-Game Store that is available on the PC, Mac, and PS3 versions of the game. So, being the generous company that they are, they simply combined all the items from the store and included them within an optional DLC package. Those who complain about "Day 1 DLC" are ignorant trolls who don't know any better.

2. The length of the game is not 4 hours, it is estimated at 10-12 hours for the single-player alone. Those who claim to have completed it are flat out lying, or they No Clipped the entire way. Either way, do not listen to ANY user review that claims they finished the game in less than 10 hours. It pains me to see that such a great game is being attacked by a bunch of idiots who jump to conclusions. Listen to the critics on this one, Portal 2 is a masterpiece.
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    I'll state this up front: Portal 2 is a paragon of game design. Everything about this game shows how Valve mastered the data they collected of their audience over the years through Steam and their other games. Portal 2 is filled with great gameplay, satisfying puzzles and some of the best writing you've ever seen in a video game. The character performances are spot on. It's a must buy forI'll state this up front: Portal 2 is a paragon of game design. Everything about this game shows how Valve mastered the data they collected of their audience over the years through Steam and their other games. Portal 2 is filled with great gameplay, satisfying puzzles and some of the best writing you've ever seen in a video game. The character performances are spot on. It's a must buy for every gamer, young and old.

A lot of people seem to be concerned about the added store for the co-op bots, which I think is unfounded. All of the items are purely cosmetic and is hardly content they cut out of the game just to put a price tag on it. It can be easily ignored. The reason it's in the game is because it has apparently been a success in Team Fortress 2, so I don't mind Valve earning an extra buck to fund their next projects.

Valve will probably be releasing more free DLC for this game in the future, just like they did with Left4Dead and Team Fortress 2 (a game that's been receiving more than 10 huge free content updates since 2004!). Since the Source SDK is likely to get an update too, the community will get the tools to create maps and puzzles themselves.
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    Now, I think it is important for people to note how the split of this game is, for the most part, 10-0. That being said I think it is quite fishy that the middle vote is being left out. Let's break down the game now shall we? Voice Acting: Top notch. The voice acting was perfect and the effects just added to the perfection which made the game feel all that more amazing.

Graphics: A step

Graphics: A step up from the original game but not quite as amazing as Crysis, but remember this is a puzzlegame and it looks perfect for what it is meant for.

Gameplay: Absolutely perfect. Unlike in Portal 1 where you were faced with the same obstacles for the last half of the game, Valve slowly unveils new elements to play around with where in the near-ending all come together in one complex masterpiece.

DLC: The largest complaint I can see about this game is the fact that it has DLC. The problem with this is that there are separate reviews between games and the DLC for a reason, this reason being that DLC is not meant to be paired with the game and is in fact OPTIONAL.

Time: The second largest complaint I can see is the time of which it takes to beat this game. I can personally say it took me 6 hours to beat the campaign but for all previous portal players they can realize that the original was much MUCH shorter and so Valve has definitely stepped that up. ALSO for time making this game any longer would probably ruin it because the novelty of the puzzles, contraptions, and the portal gun itself would wear off, also this game comes with COOP(which I have yet to play) which I am sure adds even more time to the game.

Story: The story is FANTASTIC. It does not feel rushed at all despite the time constraints that people seem to have an issue with. The best part of the Portal franchise, since this game has made it clear it is meant to be one, is the humour. This game was by far, MUCH more hilarious than the first installment and is SURE to leave people pausing the game to laugh at the amazing dialogue that Valve has installed.

Music: Very engaging and made to feel as if it is supposed to be going the entire time and what amazed me in this game is that using the contraptions such as repulsive gel alters the music in a slight way that makes the music sound as if it is going along with what you are doing that very moment.

Other reviews: I feel that it is inexcusable to bring in the ARG, the potatos and the release date just because Valve promised it would be out on the 19th and so it was! The ARG let players get excited for this brilliant game and buying the indie games was another OPTIONAL task which many a Valve lover, skipped over to do.

Overall: Top of its game in every possible way and for what we know of Valve, they'll raise that for Portal 3. One of the best games I have ever played and that is not even COUNTING the Co-Op play which I plan on getting started with later today. Hope this helps!
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    I was afraid I would be over-hyped for this game. Watching videos, reading about others playing through it, they made the game sound like it would be perfect. After playing through the single player campaign, which took about 6 hours (and I was going through it very quickly so these people saying it took 4 hours are full of it) I only had one thought in my head at the end of it all.I was afraid I would be over-hyped for this game. Watching videos, reading about others playing through it, they made the game sound like it would be perfect. After playing through the single player campaign, which took about 6 hours (and I was going through it very quickly so these people saying it took 4 hours are full of it) I only had one thought in my head at the end of it all. Perfect.

Is it the greatest game of all time? No. Did it perfectly continue the story from Portal 1? Yes. Did some puzzles make me scratch my head for a bit? Yes. Did the dialogue literally make me laugh out loud at some points? Yes. These are exactly the things I wanted out of this game. I got every single thing I was hoping for and then some. I've already bought a copy for a friend so they can play it too because this is a game that NEEDS to be experience by everyone.
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    NONE of the critics has so far complained about any "short gamelength". Unlike some others, I have played the entire game and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story's nice and there is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger ending. It seems the haters will use any lame reason to downrate the game. Also, the negative reviews make no allusion to gameplay or any other elements that are generallyNONE of the critics has so far complained about any "short gamelength". Unlike some others, I have played the entire game and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story's nice and there is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger ending. It seems the haters will use any lame reason to downrate the game. Also, the negative reviews make no allusion to gameplay or any other elements that are generally considered. Quite sad that one issue (DLC) has solely led to such distortion in ratings. Expand
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a truly magnificent game from start to finish. Incredibly smart, funny, sarcastic and witty. Was laughing out loud the whole way through.
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    If you enjoyed the first Portal then you will love this. It is full of the same charm as the first game and at moments is absolutely hilarious. There is more variety to the puzzles, but they still have that Portal feel to them. Graphically it is a fairly nice looking game and there is certainly much more variety in the graphics than the first game. Overall, everything has a bit moreIf you enjoyed the first Portal then you will love this. It is full of the same charm as the first game and at moments is absolutely hilarious. There is more variety to the puzzles, but they still have that Portal feel to them. Graphically it is a fairly nice looking game and there is certainly much more variety in the graphics than the first game. Overall, everything has a bit more polish to it and the controls even feel a little smoother than the original. If the first Portal wasn't your thing then there's not a whole lot here to change your mind. But as I said, if you enjoyed the first game I don't know how you couldn't absolutely love Portal 2. Expand
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    Without a doubt, this is my favorite Valve title to date. The game took me 8 hours to beat and I'm about to play the single player game again :) Thank you Valve for spending the extra time on this one, it really shows!
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    Ok this game it's all I've waiting for, and I'm sure truly fans will agree with me, and the co-op mode it's a nice and great bonus. Graphics are good, gameplay is as awesome as Portal was and I'm in love with the wonderful soundtrack, the VALVe team did a magnificent work there. Worth the buy nuff said.
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply put... best game this year by far! All these people who are complaining about "single player is 4 hours and I'm bored now," get some friends with the game and play co-op. Amazingly more difficult then single player and a lot more fun. The only down side to the whole game is the store to buy more outfits, gestures and other things is lame... you are not Zynga, you're Valve!!!Simply put... best game this year by far! All these people who are complaining about "single player is 4 hours and I'm bored now," get some friends with the game and play co-op. Amazingly more difficult then single player and a lot more fun. The only down side to the whole game is the store to buy more outfits, gestures and other things is lame... you are not Zynga, you're Valve!!! Amazing graphics and really fun. Love the computer too in co-op... it tells you that "...the other guy is dragging you down..." while your friend gets some random message... very smart and funny. All your games need this co-op experience. Lastly... Great game again! Expand
  44. Apr 22, 2011
    I beat the single player portion of this game in about 4 hours almost 4 1/2 hours. And holy crap it was the best 4 1/4 hours of playtime I think I've ever had, and the greatest $45 I have ever spent. Just to be clear before the release date I had been playing and replaying the first portal. Manly to remember how to "think with portals", also because I can't find those **** radio's.
    I can
    I can empathize with the people who think it was to short, and not as challenging as I would liked, but thats not the point. The point is that it was an amazing game: funny, witty (sort of), ingenious, very clever, and it requires you to think beyond 'run over there and shoot that guy'. Yeah I would have loved it to be 5 hours longer with uber hard puzzles, but you know what that's just selfish considering all the work Valve put into this.
    I will end by saying that Portal 2 deserves to be Game of the Year.
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    Peaple who vote 0 you are quite patetic.. If you don't like the DLC simply don't buy it.. If some one like the new skin and stuff the DLC will be good for them..
    Vote for the game not for this **** The hours of game play is more than many others game that cost 20â
  46. Apr 19, 2011
    This is one of the best games i have ever played. if you are a fan of the original portal, it takes a while to get your head around, but other than that it is fantastic!
  47. Apr 19, 2011
    Great writing. Amazing voice acting. Detailed story, adding a lot to the Half life lore.
    Could have been longer, but satisfying none the less.
    I see no reason to complain about DLC. I would expect this will help fund more free content and updates. ie TF2's 198 patches since launch.
    Quality well polished game.
  48. Apr 19, 2011
    this game is sick. all the haters out there are just pissed because the single player was short, boo hoo. there is a 12 hour multiplayer campaign that is totally separate. valve made a great game and all the lonely people who bought it and are complaining need some friends.
  49. Apr 19, 2011
    Better than the original, improved gameplay and visuals, a lot longer (single-player took me roughly 8-9 hours) and a lot more humour in my opinion, too. The voice acting was also phenomenal. I can only recommend to purchase this game, especially if you have a good friend to play the coop with. On a side note: The DLC are merely cosmetic, so there really is no need to be so angry about it.
  50. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the guys trolling here - Portal 2 is just awesome in every aspect!
    - Potato Sack rip off? You did not have to buy it if you don't like the games it contains. Why criticize Portal 2 for that?
    - Pricey ingame items? Sure, they are not the cheapest things around, but again, you don't have to buy them. Incredibly good co-op gameplay, you won't find anything better out there.
    Incredibly good co-op gameplay, you won't find anything better out there. The Dialogs are very funny, Puzzles are challenging, everything is just incredibly good!
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    Easily the best game of the year. I don't see why people are complaining about things that have nothing to do with the actual game itself (i.e. why didn't it release earlier because I played the potato sack). That's too bad but why rate the game a 0 when this is easily the game of the year. The gameplay here is so unique and immersive that it's unlike anything else I've played, I wish weEasily the best game of the year. I don't see why people are complaining about things that have nothing to do with the actual game itself (i.e. why didn't it release earlier because I played the potato sack). That's too bad but why rate the game a 0 when this is easily the game of the year. The gameplay here is so unique and immersive that it's unlike anything else I've played, I wish we would have more innovative games like this. Thank you Valve, you've done it again. Expand
  52. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent. Above and Beyond the original in every way. Hilarious scripting, updated graphics (slightly), and outstanding, memorable gameplay make this the ultimate game so far this year.
  53. Apr 19, 2011
    It's been a few years since I had so much fun with a video game. It is awesome; I laughed out loudly quite a few times during the playing. The ending was fulfilling. A somply awesome game
  54. Apr 19, 2011
    A very fun sequel... It is hard to understand why people judge the game over irrelevant issues and over its entertainment value. And who on earth compelled them to buy the DLC? For a change one can refer to user scores of Portal 2 on other sites like gamespot, ign, etc. and realize that most of the negative reviews are nothing but hater ****
  55. Apr 25, 2011
    Amazing game, from the amazing concepts in puzzle solving all the way to the superb choices for voice acting for all of the games amazingly clever and funny dialog. Level design is very nice and a person could spend at least an hour just trying to find all of the funny little bits and pieces that valve designers put through this game. Play time is about 7 hours for the first play throughAmazing game, from the amazing concepts in puzzle solving all the way to the superb choices for voice acting for all of the games amazingly clever and funny dialog. Level design is very nice and a person could spend at least an hour just trying to find all of the funny little bits and pieces that valve designers put through this game. Play time is about 7 hours for the first play through of the single player campaign and a considerably shorter co-op campaign. Overall Valve has released one of the best game that I have played in years.

For all of those that question the choice for day one dlc I assure you that you are in no way pressured into paying anything extra for the game and all things available are purely cosmetic and in no way relevant to game play. While I have no intention on buying anything I can see the appeal to some people, Xbox live avatar clothing is basically the same concept and while I have not bought any of that I know that many people have.
  56. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game and a great sequel for the original portal.Great graphics, great voice acting, great story, and great co-op. Total has over 30 hours of gameplay excluding co-op missions -replayability.
  57. Apr 19, 2011
    Short, easy Valve game, that really shines when playing Co-oP!
    Absolutely love putting my team mate into bad situations and vice versa.
    GladOS potato head!!!
  58. Apr 19, 2011
    It appears that this is a re-iteration of other reviews but Played Portal 2 through the night and needed sleep. :)

The controls for this the new mechanics are seamless and easy to understand, after your first few levels with each new mechanic your enjoying them at the same level as the portals themselves. The length of portal 2 will really depend on how you want to play it, if your

The length of portal 2 will really depend on how you want to play it, if your looking at simply slving ever puzzle it won't last long maybe 3-5 hours of single and 2-3 hours of co-op. If your interested in the story and/or whats going on around you then it will likely take you 7-9 hours to complete the single and 4-6 hours for the co-op. The replay value again depends on how you play it, in for the puzzles? Very little maybe doing speed runs or challenges or maybe achievement hunting. If your in for the story you'll likely have 2-3 replays of value maybe more depending on your ability to find the easter eggs.

Two points against, first the source engine is showing its age with the very common loading screens, game ruining no, annoying yes. Second point is puzzle sometimes feel leaded/leading as that there is one solution and you are forced that way, is this for all the puzzles? No only 2-4 that I felt that happen in, the flip side of this point there are puzzles that are the reverse where you will do it one way then notice another way to do it or you'll feel that you did it 'wrong' as in not how in should of been done.

Overall great game with some minor drawbacks. 9/10(10/10 because of the trolls rating low)
  59. Apr 19, 2011
    I was really angry with all of these "pseudo-negative" reviews.... Just garbage: fact-> critics agree with the fact that Portal 2 is clearly longer than its predecessor. Then there is no DLC including real content (like extra puzzle) but only skins available. Once you know this, here come one of the best pc Game i've ever played! (However you need to have an affinity with puzzle games toI was really angry with all of these "pseudo-negative" reviews.... Just garbage: fact-> critics agree with the fact that Portal 2 is clearly longer than its predecessor. Then there is no DLC including real content (like extra puzzle) but only skins available. Once you know this, here come one of the best pc Game i've ever played! (However you need to have an affinity with puzzle games to feel the same). The whole game is an example of writing, the soundtrack is not bad. The game has an unique atmosphere, and the the voice actors are really "brilliant" (ah ah). Do not listen all of these ridiculous troll, Portal 2 is a great game so inventive that it is really hard to stop grabbing your mouse! And with the co-op game you can share this compulsion with one of your friend :D (I tried it with a friend and we didn't stop laughing from the start to the end of our session. There is no real turn-offs in this game excepting maybe the store with extra skins which are a bit expensive from my point of view.
    To sum up, Portal 2 is nothing but brilliant!
  60. Apr 19, 2011
    I had to make an account for this game to combat the angry nerds dragging down portal 2's score, and write an actual review (which nobody seems to actually write these days)

First: to address the concerns of angry ranting kids who think this game deserves a "0" or "1" score based on playtime, DLC, or cost. Games cost $60 now. 1.) playtime - This is a 6-10 hour game. If you can pull it

1.) playtime - This is a 6-10 hour game. If you can pull it off in less, you're very clever first time around. Don't criticize a game paced around a player's mental capacity (I'd say I'm good with physics and a quick learner, and it took me about six hours to complete the single player) This also excludes the concept of co-op. Which is an entirely different, 6-10 hour game. Unless you have no friends (which I'm fairly certain is the case, if you are in any way put off by this game) then this game easily trounces many of the other titles out there for the cost. People are acting as if Portal 1 was a long game. It wasn't. it was an hour or two at best. This is easily a fully fledged single player game. You have the single player (full game) co-op (also a full game) and the developer commentary (which any self-respecting nerd will do, also a full playthrough)

2.) DLC: I'm going to be honest, this could be a negative box, but hear me out. I just don't understand why the dlc costs so much money. $0.50? Sure, I'd buy $5 worth. But some individual pieces approach the $10.00 mark. It also makes little sense in a game that isn't built around playing with lots of other random players, like Team Fortress 2 is. You buy the DLC because you want other players to see how fancy you look. But the great thing is that if you don't buy it, there is no influence on gameplay whatsoever. Consider this: If valve simply didn't include any DLC and just gave you the two robots with nothing from the current DLC selection, not a single player would be whining about a lack of anything. So it's a boon for some players, and has no impact on the rest.

3.) Cost. Games are $60 now. Not $50. It's been a long time coming (and seriously, everything else on earth gets more expensive, and games have gotten -cheaper- over the past 20 years? Inflation happens.) and this is in no way a "minigame" with a big price tag. It's $45. that's 25% less than COD black ops. And it's got roughly twice the content. If you are the type who complains about full-length games dripping with polish and fabulous content costing 25% less than the industry standard, feel free to flush your head in the toilet. Or wait until it comes on sale (hello? this is STEAM. They'll put it on sale in two weeks.)

That said, let's actually review the game. If Blizzard is to great cutscenes, Valve is to great characters. There's no way I could imagine any other game designer giving a little sphere so much capability to display emotion with nothing but small rotating rings. The sheer amount of polish here defies logic as much the portal gun defies physics. I was expecting a shiny game. What I got was a whole world, expansive, with painstaking attention to the slightest detail, irregardless of whether or not the player will even see it. From the opening seconds to the final battle, there isn't a single dull moment.

The voice acting is second to none. There are only a few voices in the game, but they're all played to the level of the greatest shakespearean comedy. No, you didn't read that wrong. This is a tragic comedy unlike anything gaming has ever seen. There is something satisfying about knowing that the voice for your arch-nemesis was picked because she is a trained operatic soprano.

Gameplay wise, there is nothing reused that hasn't been thoroughly rethought, modified, and polished. A playthrough with the developer commentary will demonstrate how much painstaking work and effort was put into this game. The new mechanics do not feel cheesy, they feel perfectly at home in the portal world. I found myself thinking "how did they make puzzles WITHOUT all of these amazing new toys in the first place?" I won't spoil the mechanics, but it's safe to say that the puzzles are even more perfect than Portal's. They're challenging without being frustrating. There is no trace of "console-itis" anywhere. Anyone saying there is, was deliberately looking for it and ignoring the astounding world. You still feel that same sense of reward from figuring out the "trick." The puzzles are as much exploring and learning each component as blind trial and error, which is outright gameplay magic. The final boss was unchallenging, but still felt tense and frantic, and was just as deeply satisfying as the first time you laid hands on the fancy dual-portal gun.

If I had a negative point about the game, it would be the loading screens. There are lots of them. But on the whole, this is easily - very, very easily, one of the best games of all time, dripping with polish, humor, cleverness, and brilliant gameplay. And I do not say that lightly.
  61. Apr 19, 2011
    Lets put this out there:

Lets put this out there:

1) Portal 1 came packed with 3 other games when I got it back in 2006 in the Orange Box and remains to this day one of the top PC game of all time in my book. It lacked in any proper multiplayer, it also lacked visuals, but it was still one of those games that I'd pick up and play over and over, going well over the the $10 or less I had payed for it bundled. I'd easily pay $30-$45 on this on a heartbeat.

2) EA and Activision can come out with a $60 FPS, not last as long, have medicore storytelling, and improper handling of user generated content and people bought that stuff up and the DLC for $5 to $15 a pop. They complain yet they still bite the bullet in the deal.

Anyway the game in the end is probably one of the most memorable thing I've done in a very long time. It came to the point that I exclaimed that I was (or the main girl) is the goddamn Freeman, which is not an understatement. The dialogue and the pacing is 100% perfect, I never felt like I was in the same place twice at any given moment.

The puzzles were great, though I passed through most with no problems, I found myself stumped on the one or two that seemed really obvious the first thought through.

I now await for Portal2 guys to add to this game like the TF2 guys have with their game. Hats and whatever other bull is the norm with TF2 and completely and utterly ignorable. The bad reviews you hear about price to hours played are just rants by people who actually believed that the sequel to a 6hr game would equal something of a magical longer game. Sort of like how Crysis 2 showed off a wonderful game and ended up being a 6hr jog.
  62. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply the best Valve game YET.
    It started off a little rocky and worrying for me, but it wasn't long before things got back into full swing, you have both sides of the portal gun, and you're solving puzzles and listening to the pitch black humor Glados so loves.
    Simply the best Valve game YET.
    The puzzles are extremely fun, and become much more challenging than the original, and many different elements to the mix besides.
    If you're familiar with the Half Life series, there's a bunch of little nods and pieces of backstory that add to the mythos that are a joy to find and ponder on, and the art direction is truly inspired, and backed up by what must be a bit of Cryengine steroids injected into Source. I had my doubts about the game going into it, but this is Valve's product, and it has all the loving polish and attention to detail I've come to expect from everyone of their games. Play it. I'm sure you'll find it a classic :)
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    VALVe delivers one of its greatest masterpieces in Portal 2. 8 hours of solid gameplay in the single player followed by several more in a completely different co-op story make it a lot longer than the first Portal, and new features with further ways to complete tests, as well as a witty GLaDOS and Wheatley, make me reward VALVe with a 10.
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is absolutely awesome. Portal 1 was a magnificent game and I thought that Valve won't be able to make anything better. Now I know that I was wrong. Portal 2 has everything that Portal 1 had, but more of it and in better form. And the ending is just, just, just... (I really can't find better word) EPIC! Come one Valve, just take my money ;)
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    A great sequel. Is challenging and fun. Just when you think single player is over, it continues and gets even better. The new repulsion gel adds a whole new level of difficulty and fun.
  66. Apr 25, 2011
    The puzzles aren't as 'twitchy' this time around, but you still get the feeling that you've had to think out your answers ahead of time before you go about doing them. As you get closer and closer to solving a puzzle the procedurally generated music starts to amp up, melodies, harmonies, beats and embellishments are added to the base score of the room you are in, adding to the sense ofThe puzzles aren't as 'twitchy' this time around, but you still get the feeling that you've had to think out your answers ahead of time before you go about doing them. As you get closer and closer to solving a puzzle the procedurally generated music starts to amp up, melodies, harmonies, beats and embellishments are added to the base score of the room you are in, adding to the sense of progression. You sit there thinking "I've got this, I've got this, I know what I'm doing!" and the music rewards you. Then, at the end, you complete the puzzle and there's a climax in the score... or you fail, and the music takes away the rewards it has given you and you're left with a sense of failure. That sense of "My god, I did it, I'm a genius!" after getting stumped for a bit is still there, even if some of the novelty from solving puzzles like this is gone from the first game. All of this rewarding puzzle gameplay is anchored by one of the best stories in gaming. The characters are all developed, they go through arcs and change as the story progresses and the acting is absolutely top notch. You fall in love with the characters, even if they're trying to kill you. All of this, plus a few little secrets hidden around the game, create an atmosphere that works equally well in explaining the gameplay, telling you exactly why you're doing what you're doing, and developing the story to a logical and satisfying conclusion. It's not the longest game ever, but with a equally great coop campaign added on (perhaps slightly less lacking in overall narrative structure, but not lacking the same humorous and slightly evil tone of the single player campaign) it's well worth your money. Besides, Valve has hit the right amount of time for this game. The gameplay mechanics never get old and the story doesn't become stale. It would almost feel like a drag to go on longer. Expand
  67. Apr 20, 2011
    ok, THIS GAME IS GOLD, GOTY for sure man.

I'm almost crying of the excitement, i mean, i' ve never enjoyed a game this much.

P.D: The game is worth his price, and even more.
  68. Mar 4, 2012
    Portal 2 is brilliant cause it doesn't just have the same kinda layout as portal 1 and it is much more graphical and if you look closely at each scene there is much more going on than it seems
  69. Apr 20, 2011
    I finished the game this morning and let me say this, Portal 2 is a masterpiece! One of the best games to come out this year. I have also played several of the co-op challenges with friends and they are some of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in the past year. And to all the morons who gave this a '0 out of 10' rating, I will explain this to you slowly so that your tiny minds canI finished the game this morning and let me say this, Portal 2 is a masterpiece! One of the best games to come out this year. I have also played several of the co-op challenges with friends and they are some of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in the past year. And to all the morons who gave this a '0 out of 10' rating, I will explain this to you slowly so that your tiny minds can follow: You don't have to pay for the extra co-op items you get them for FREE as you play through the co-op game. Get it? FREE. F R E E ! ! If you are on the fence about purchasing this game, I hope you realize that the negative reviews on this site, for this game, are only due to the fact that the Internet doesn't restrict access based upon IQ test results. Expand
  70. Jun 9, 2011
    It's good, it's very good. I am not a fanboy, I genuinely liked Portal 2. Interesting characters, Clever puzzles, Good graphics, Excellent music, The flow of the gameplay is amazing, not repetitive, has some moments where you go " OH SH%^$% !!". This is what a polished game is. A clear vision/design that was executed flawlessly. Go play it.
  71. Apr 19, 2011
    honestly one of the best videogames i`ve played so far in my life. the writing was soo funny and the lvl design is outstanding for me..defenitly worth the 50 bucks!!!
  72. Apr 19, 2011
    The amount of whiny trolls here is just ridiculous. I imagine most of them haven't even played the game, and are just regurgitating what they've heard the others say. First off, the single player takes a good 6-8 hours. Still not incredibly long (and the only reason why I knocked off one point), but I'll replay it just to hear the dialogue, not to mention find all the secrets and get theThe amount of whiny trolls here is just ridiculous. I imagine most of them haven't even played the game, and are just regurgitating what they've heard the others say. First off, the single player takes a good 6-8 hours. Still not incredibly long (and the only reason why I knocked off one point), but I'll replay it just to hear the dialogue, not to mention find all the secrets and get the achievements. And that's without touching co-op. How can you even call cosmetic hats DLC? Here's a hint: just don't buy them. Your game experience will be completely unchanged. The only people who should have a problem with this are exactly the kind of morons who see shiny digital horse armor and have some strange compulsive nature that forces them to buy it.

Don't even know what they're talking about with "Please don't turn off your console." Never saw it, and the game doesn't feel like a port at all.

After L4D2 I was worried that Valve know longer knew how to make a sequel as good as or better than its predecessor, but here they've clearly done the latter. The gameplay is better (hard light trails, gels and excursion funnels add a ton of depth) and the humor is better. But maybe that's the real reason why the haters are so mad, because there's no easily identifiable meme line to clutch onto and propagate ad nauseum like "the cake is a lie" (Ugh, that got old so fast).
  73. Apr 19, 2011
  74. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing game. If you don't like the DLC, don't buy it. They are completely cosmetic and have no impact on the game otherwise. I'm glad VALVe gave us the option to skin our characters, but I choose not to spend my money on them. 10/10 easily.
  75. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing... Played through single player in roughly 8 hours (I go slow when exploring maps for the first time) and the co-op with a great friend of mine in about 5 hours. 10 hours for a great game? Anyone remember Uncharted? I'm not complaining. Can't wait to go through co-op again with the wife and kids.

So enjoyable, thanks Valve.
  76. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is almost perfect. At the beginning it sounded a bit slow and boring but then.. wow. Do not listen to all these negative reviews! 1) this is not a console port. the "pleas turn off your console" is a known bug. check steam forums for official response about this. 2) there's no "80$ DLC", it's just a bunch of skins, hats or gestures! There was no hype about this and the game isThis game is almost perfect. At the beginning it sounded a bit slow and boring but then.. wow. Do not listen to all these negative reviews! 1) this is not a console port. the "pleas turn off your console" is a known bug. check steam forums for official response about this. 2) there's no "80$ DLC", it's just a bunch of skins, hats or gestures! There was no hype about this and the game is perfect as well. 3) the game is definitely NOT 4 long. This is simply awesome Expand
  77. Apr 19, 2011
    While I've only played the single player campaign so far, and have yet to tackle co-op, this review is only based on the single player mode. Took me about 8 hours to beat, but that may be been a bit fast as since I've played portal 1 so much, all the "tutorial" levels I blitzed through in seconds. A player who is new to the game probably will take a bit longer to get used to the mechanics.While I've only played the single player campaign so far, and have yet to tackle co-op, this review is only based on the single player mode. Took me about 8 hours to beat, but that may be been a bit fast as since I've played portal 1 so much, all the "tutorial" levels I blitzed through in seconds. A player who is new to the game probably will take a bit longer to get used to the mechanics. Humor felt a little bit more forced than portal 1, but that's the only complain I can bring myself to make about the game. It's unique, interesting, challenging. Highly highly reccomend playing this. Expand
  78. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent game. There is far more variety in puzzles than last time, and contrary to claims that it's 4 hours long, it lasted me about 7 hours. Intelligent writing and humor makes this an unforgettable experience.

The DLC that people negatively mentioned is a non-issue as all the DLC is cosmetic only.
  79. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 I feel was worth my money. there are too many loading screens but never longer than what it takes to sip my drink. never been a graphics snob but it is one of the most beautiful games on my PC and it surprisingly runs better than the original portal on my computer (some people have been complaining about the fact that things aren't photo-realistic to them I tell them FORMPortal 2 I feel was worth my money. there are too many loading screens but never longer than what it takes to sip my drink. never been a graphics snob but it is one of the most beautiful games on my PC and it surprisingly runs better than the original portal on my computer (some people have been complaining about the fact that things aren't photo-realistic to them I tell them FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION. the function of this is to be a puzzle game everything needs to be crisp and clear and it is they didn't waste my processing power with anything unnecessary. the best example is minecraft.) . The puzzles so far have been challenging off and on and i am around four hours in and am still getting new mechanics (yes I'm not done with the game yet its a weekday im busy). I enjoyed the original portal and this one hasn't disappointed. On the subject of Hats. Really people cant find anything better about the game to complain about than the fact that a company is trying to create a sustaining business by selling useless kniknaks to people who want to buy them. Here is a hint if you don't want to buy them DONT. Finally to all the omg its a console port people is there any way it damages the gameplay. It hasn't bothered gameplay on my crappy computer. To all the people complaining about a great game at least you bought the game maybe play it again when you are older and can appreciate it. Expand
  80. Apr 19, 2011
    Super awesome. Really loved it. 10 hours in and only 3/4 through game (single & coop follow 2 connected story arcs). The bot customisation store for multiplayer is dumb, but it's optional.
  81. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is fantastic. I absolutely loved the original and Valve delivered with this one, improving on the original in every way possible. It's like comparing the original Assassin's Creed to AC2. It was well worth the money, delivering a much longer single player (took me roughly 7 hours to finish). Stephen Merchant was great as Wheatley and Ellen McLain once again provided greatPortal 2 is fantastic. I absolutely loved the original and Valve delivered with this one, improving on the original in every way possible. It's like comparing the original Assassin's Creed to AC2. It was well worth the money, delivering a much longer single player (took me roughly 7 hours to finish). Stephen Merchant was great as Wheatley and Ellen McLain once again provided great voice-over as GLaDOS. The humor was brilliant this time round and gave me quite a few laughs throughout the game.

There are some great new puzzle elements that offer much more variety as you progress further. All in all, another fantastic game from Valve. I have yet to try the co-op which probably adds a lot more to the game.

And to everyone complaining about the DLC. You're not being forced to buy it, they're OPTIONAL extras that are there if you want to buy them. Giving a game a low rating because you don't want to pay for it is disgraceful and you should re-evaluate calling yourself a gamer.

Loved Portal? Then this game is a must for you and worth every penny. Go buy it and have some fun.
  82. Apr 19, 2011
    Okay, the negative voting guys are just ridiculous. First of all game playtime - I've managed to *rush* through the game (SP only so far, gotta try coop as well) in 5 hours. (Because I have to write a review for one minor magasine). I'm gonna play again for achievements and such stuff.

About the "DLC" - there's no such thing. You guys are confusing DLCs with microtransactions. Or in case of some free-to-play MMOs... Do you concider extra stuff in form of microtransactions as DLCs? C'mon... These microtransactions actually do NOT affect gameplay, nor Sp, nor Coop. Period.
    Engine/Graphics: Source Engine is beautiful. No kidding. Low requirements for both high quality AND high performance. Complainers are either running the game on a sh**ty PC or have a very highend and are used to Crysis at maximum quality. Well... I highly doubt about the latter one ;) Anyway, look at the Crysis 2 and then talk ;)
    Not challenging: Please go through the whole game.

Simply put, this game is awesome, level design is great, dialogs are well written, companion cube is still alive (:D) and soon modding tools will be released, so we can look forward for mods. Only thing that's diasappining is... (wait for it) ...Chell. I hoped they would finally make one of their main characters speak. But I guess that they're saving it for Gordon Freeman at the end of Ep3 (yeah, I'm optimist).

Summarization: 10,5/10 :D (would be 11/10 if they would let Chell speak)
  83. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fantastic game - don't listen to the plethora of bitter Valve haters on here. They'll come around eventually. The PROFESSIONAL critics are right. Game of the decade.
  84. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game, very polished, very fun. Noticed reviews seem to be getting more positive as the day goes on, I think this game will end up with a high user score. Moral of the story, if you're looking for a run and gun, look somewhere else. If you're looking for the next 50-60 hour epic, look somewhere else. If you're looking for a clever, well-written, great looking game, Portal 2, in myGreat game, very polished, very fun. Noticed reviews seem to be getting more positive as the day goes on, I think this game will end up with a high user score. Moral of the story, if you're looking for a run and gun, look somewhere else. If you're looking for the next 50-60 hour epic, look somewhere else. If you're looking for a clever, well-written, great looking game, Portal 2, in my mind, fits the bill. On a side note, this site has the lowest user scores I've seen for this games. On most other review sites, the user scores are much higher, averaging around the 90% range. What's going on Metacritic? Expand
  85. Apr 19, 2011
    I feel bad for all these players who can't get off their high horse and enjoy this great game. The first Portal while short and mostly devoid of cutscenes had more story and personality than many games that come out retail. Portal 2 continues that by offering a unique experience and not just another FPS rehash.
  86. Apr 19, 2011
    Another positive review to offset the abuse of the system by disgruntled, entitlement bound whiners. The graphics and presentation are top-notch, the sound/music are atmospheric and creepy, the puzzles more varied and clever, the writing/humor dry and snarky. The only way it could be better is if they ever release a level maker for it.

1) If you don't like micropayment DLC, don't buy it.

1) If you don't like micropayment DLC, don't buy it. Nothing that is being sold is extra game content, merely window-dressing for people who want to style their co-op avatars. Given that, I take no serious issue with the DLC.

2) If you finished the game in 4 hours, then I guess there is no pleasing you. I'm willing to bet these people got the game illegally in the first place.

3) You can't simply compare the price of a product to the number of hours it takes to wolf down its content. If that's all a game is, is shoving brain-food into your mouth, then you'll never take the time to appreciate a good "steak" in your mouth. Go back to playing yet another military FPS.

4) Knowing the significance Metacritic has in the gaming industry, I suspect troll-bombing with intent to poop on other people's good time.

Play this game. Ask for more.
  87. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely stunning game, valve did nothing wrong with its release or development, I am left to conclude that the bad review surrounding this game is nothing, but greifers and trolls that hate to see a success of a much loved and publicised game
  88. Apr 19, 2011
    Even better than portal 2, users giving a 0 just because they don't like the potato thing/ the tf2 style dlc shop.... should stop whining and play, it's a great game. Absolutely 100% worth the price
  89. Apr 19, 2011
    I was a big fan of the first game, and was looking forward to this game, and in the end it did not disappoint.
    I liked the new innovations and the addition of the story element. Was overall very enjoyable.
    The only thing that bothered me was the amount of loading screens considering how short some of the levels were. The game length was adequate in my opinion, about 6 hours, and co-op
    The game length was adequate in my opinion, about 6 hours, and co-op seems like it can add a lot more time onto the game.
  90. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game! Great script, lovely world, innovative in many ways. Truly a great sequel. Game is well more than four hours long, does not contain required content that costs extra money, nor has many of the problems other reviewers are mentioning. All in all this is a fantastic game well worth most people's time!
  91. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't even look at the people downvoting this game. The majority are trolls from /v/ who haven't even purchased the game. This game was Valve's masterpiece. It's just about perfect in every way.
  92. Apr 19, 2011
    Interesting. Challenging and fun. One of the best games you will ever pla. ignore all the negative comments from people who are annoyed about optional not important DLC that YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY!!!! So buy it love it and ignore all the negative stupid whiney comments.
  93. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply perfect in all ways. Loved the Marketing, loved the Single-Player, loved the Multi-Player, loved the DLC, love being able to customize the co-op bots. Absolutely epic in all ways. Perfect
  94. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, the pacing combined with the witty dialogue and story make for an unforgettable experience. There are two experiences to be had though, both a co-op and a single-player. Each offer something unforgettable, and enjoyable in their own right. There is endless variety to keep the game from becoming stale. Any caveats such as the infamous "DLC" store, andOne of the best games I've ever played, the pacing combined with the witty dialogue and story make for an unforgettable experience. There are two experiences to be had though, both a co-op and a single-player. Each offer something unforgettable, and enjoyable in their own right. There is endless variety to keep the game from becoming stale. Any caveats such as the infamous "DLC" store, and the potato marketing stunt are far outweighed by what is an amazing game. We are gamers, right guys? Expand
  95. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is fantastic, the dialogue is funny, sadistic and very well written. Valve really has outdone themselves with this. Really looking forward to co-op it will add even more on to the length of the game.
  96. Apr 19, 2011
    I'm not going to go into the whole DLC stuff because I don't care. However, to all of these people that say the game is only 4 hours long. Shut up. I just finished playing though just the single player and it took me about 7 hours. Add in the fact that there is a whole co-op campaign that is different from the main story, you've got way more game here than 4 hours. Again, to all the 4 hourI'm not going to go into the whole DLC stuff because I don't care. However, to all of these people that say the game is only 4 hours long. Shut up. I just finished playing though just the single player and it took me about 7 hours. Add in the fact that there is a whole co-op campaign that is different from the main story, you've got way more game here than 4 hours. Again, to all the 4 hour people, shut up you stupid sheep. Expand
  97. Apr 19, 2011
    Most of the complaints being submitted are completely unfounded. Please see this article which addresses some of the nonsense being spouted on this rating site:

Portal 2 probably is NOT a "10", but it certainly isn't a "0" or "1". Thus, to counterbalance this nonsense, I am giving the game a "10".
  98. Apr 19, 2011
    This game was absolutely amazing, the story telling, complex(-ish) puzzles, the color theme, everything, not to mention it has a lot of replayability values. Valve truly has made a masterpiece here. There really isn't more to be said, oh and to the people who complain about the length, this is a free-roam game, you're not being bound to someone leading you everywhere and telling you whatThis game was absolutely amazing, the story telling, complex(-ish) puzzles, the color theme, everything, not to mention it has a lot of replayability values. Valve truly has made a masterpiece here. There really isn't more to be said, oh and to the people who complain about the length, this is a free-roam game, you're not being bound to someone leading you everywhere and telling you what to like, like in CoD or some other generic shooter for the mindless masses. Valve, keep doing what you're doing ;) Expand
  99. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve did an awesome job carrying on from where Portal 1 left off, the twists and turns in the story were as entertaining as they were unseen. I've yet to beat the single player campaign, but finished the whole co-op campaign in 6hrs. Honestly, I have no idea where people are pulling "It's just a 3hr game" from, because unless you're just rushing through everything without even caringValve did an awesome job carrying on from where Portal 1 left off, the twists and turns in the story were as entertaining as they were unseen. I've yet to beat the single player campaign, but finished the whole co-op campaign in 6hrs. Honestly, I have no idea where people are pulling "It's just a 3hr game" from, because unless you're just rushing through everything without even caring about the storyline/graphic design/changes to the spaces there is just no freaking way you can beat the whole game (single player and campaign) in just 3hrs. And if you're seriously just buying this game to rush to the end, then you need to stop playing video games, because they are meant to be enjoyed.

Yes there is a DLC store, but the items it provides are not at all needed to complete the game or even have fun with it, they are nothing more than hats and other crap to customize your character in co-op. NOTHING MORE.

This game is well worth the price tag if you enjoyed the first game, even more so if you're a fan of co-op games (which the portal 2 co-op experience went way over what I was expecting it to be!).
  100. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. Only problem with this game is it lacks the surprise element of the first game. Everything else is better: better gameplay with new elements like blue jelly and solid light, better graphics, awesome voice acting and nice script, interesting story, good puzzles, not too difficult though. Plus now there's a co-operative campaign to play with your friends online. Collapse

1. Oct 20, 2011