8.8

1. Sep 17, 2011
    Valve crafted Portal 2 well enough. Single play has a chaotic funny accidental story line. Although the puzzle twists are less challenging than Portal 1, the play is well balanced. But I am afraid that the multi play is unbalanced if a teammate doesn
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a seminal piece of gaming. The most solid story-driven and all importantly fun gaming experience that you will have had in a while i'm willing to bet. The twists and turns in the single player mode's story coupled with the game's truly ingenious level design. It has an almost unbelievably well balanced difficulty which initially leaves you saying, "Well, i'm totally stumped" onlyThis is a seminal piece of gaming. The most solid story-driven and all importantly fun gaming experience that you will have had in a while i'm willing to bet. The twists and turns in the single player mode's story coupled with the game's truly ingenious level design. It has an almost unbelievably well balanced difficulty which initially leaves you saying, "Well, i'm totally stumped" only to be followed (after thinking things through in your head) by a sudden realisation, followed by a rewarding and triumphant execution. Also, the Co-op mode is an absolute joy! Played with a close friend, partner or relative, the game becomes so much more of an intimate experience, not to mention the absolute INSANITY of the puzzles that are born out of 4 portals being utilised. All this AND Valve are bringing out an end-user development kit shortly after release, so the fun is not likely to end any time soon! All in all, this is a game you *need* to play. It's an experience you won't soon forget. I can't recommend it enough!!! Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is awesome. If you liked Portal, even a little, get this. Even if you didn't like Portal, it is worthwhile. It is hilarious, fun, tough but not too tough that you won't play. And multiplayer is a total blast. So much fun figuring out the puzzles while sabotaging your friend at the same time. Sure, the in game purchases are annoying, but that doesn't impact gameplay, and I justThis game is awesome. If you liked Portal, even a little, get this. Even if you didn't like Portal, it is worthwhile. It is hilarious, fun, tough but not too tough that you won't play. And multiplayer is a total blast. So much fun figuring out the puzzles while sabotaging your friend at the same time. Sure, the in game purchases are annoying, but that doesn't impact gameplay, and I just pretend it isn't there. Best game of the year so far. Expand
  4. Apr 20, 2011
    Brilliant game.
    Starts off brilliantly, continues on brilliantly, and ends brilliantly. Lots of thing you will laugh at and remember for ages.
    The Co-op is great too, especially when something goes wrong or you miss judge something and see your partner go splat into a wall you miss judged. Yes the game may not be the longest in history, but come on, if you ever played Portal1 (and you
    Brilliant game.
    Yes the game may not be the longest in history, but come on, if you ever played Portal1 (and you should) then you must be an idiot* for expected this to be a 20+ hour epic.

*Idiot is a very weak term, should be much stronger really.
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is an awesome game. Everything it did good in the first one it does even better here.
    some people complain that its short ( 5 hrs ), and rate it down for that. But a game that is so fking good that you wish it was longer. thats something good?;) And after that 5 hrs you even have another 5 hrs of co-op ! A Perfect Game. 10/10
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    This game was nothing short of amazing. Worth every penny and every hour of waiting. Not only has Valve outdone themselves with amazingly smooth animation and amazing map design, they have also put in both challenging and simple maps to appeal to both types of players. After completion of the amazingly written single player campaign, I was nothing short of stunned. Luckily I wasn't stunnedThis game was nothing short of amazing. Worth every penny and every hour of waiting. Not only has Valve outdone themselves with amazingly smooth animation and amazing map design, they have also put in both challenging and simple maps to appeal to both types of players. After completion of the amazingly written single player campaign, I was nothing short of stunned. Luckily I wasn't stunned enough to miss the request from a good buddy to play some of the Co-op levels! The Co-op is also amazing, Valve really did an excellent job of breathing life into the two slabs of metal (Atlas and P-body) and helping them portray proper emotions. All in all I give this game a 10/10, though if possible I would give it a 100/10. (P.S: to xbox players crying about how PS3 users got a free PC copy and you didn't, that's because Microsoft didn't want the steam platform on their device, while sony accepted it with open arms.) (P.P.S: Seriously? You guys are letting an in game store and item system affect your rating? You'll only be playing with your friends. No "Trading servers" or anything. You also are not forced to buy ANYTHING at all.) Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2011
    Anyone giving this game anything less than an 8 is a troll, or was extremely confused about the early release project. The mentioning of minigames have nothing to do with the actual game play of Portal 2. I have had nothing but extreme satisfaction with my play through so far, and look forward to moving on to co-op.
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great sequel for Portal. Nice graphics, good story, and awesome gameplay. The new test chambers are challenging and fun at the same time. Its definitely worth it's price.
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    The singleplayer in Portal 2 was like its predecessor, a very well written story, hilarious moments, and tricky test chambers. The environment has changed a bit, and new features has been added to the chambers, for example lasers. If you're decent at solving the puzzles, you'll complete the game in a matter of hours. What I personally have not tried is the co-op mode, but from what I takeThe singleplayer in Portal 2 was like its predecessor, a very well written story, hilarious moments, and tricky test chambers. The environment has changed a bit, and new features has been added to the chambers, for example lasers. If you're decent at solving the puzzles, you'll complete the game in a matter of hours. What I personally have not tried is the co-op mode, but from what I take it enriches the game even more. I only detected a few minor glitches, mostly graphical, but that was a rarity. I believe Portal 2 is one of the most polished games I've tried this year. I recommend buying it, especially if you have played Portal 1. I'm giving it a 10 out of 10 for the story, gameplay, graphics, music and sound. Expand
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    I havn't completed the game yet as i only had chance to have a quick play last night (about 2 hours worth) and i have to say it's already brilliant. Stephen Merchant and GlaDos make amazing comedy and obviously the portal gameplay is as good and better than the first. Am still yet to try multiplayer but from what I've played so far it's definitly a 10/10 game.
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm one of those people that absolutely zombie out in front of the television and computer, almost emotionless despite what I'm watching or playing. The funniest sitcoms and stand up shows, the most intense sequences and I may have changed my expression once. I jumped into Portal two and I was laughing out loud in the first 5 minutes. I have never had a better time playing a game, II'm one of those people that absolutely zombie out in front of the television and computer, almost emotionless despite what I'm watching or playing. The funniest sitcoms and stand up shows, the most intense sequences and I may have changed my expression once. I jumped into Portal two and I was laughing out loud in the first 5 minutes. I have never had a better time playing a game, I laughed, was (legitimately) afraid, and cried on the elevator ride to the surface. (absolutely the most intense thing Valve has ever done)

Those who want to argue that it was too short, or the DLC is a scam: What ever happened to quality of entertainment? I was more entertained in the first hour of this game than the many hours I put into playing Mass Effect (2) (even though thats comparing potatos to lemons.) No replay value? There's plenty of hidden content throughout the game that will most likely have gone undiscovered during the first playthrough, achievements and developer commentary had me scrambling back into it only an hour after I beat it the first time. Unless you're a hardcore puzzle-solver genius the game will take you at least 6 hours the first time, with developer commentary and hidden areas it will probably take a bit longer than that your second time. (even if you already know how to solve the puzzles) THEN there's the co-op mode which I have yet to play but people claim its at least another 5 hours. As for the DLC, its completely cosmetic. If you don't want to pay for silly hats or gestures then don't. If you disagree with this then hold it against VALVE not the game itself.
  12. Apr 20, 2011
    This has been the most enjoyable game I think I have ever played. The comedy throughout is perfect and had me laughing from the first moment ("when you hear the buzzer, please stare at the painting.") to literally the last second of the single player game. The voice acting was masterfully done, and ever witty comment made by Wheatley, GLaDOS, and Cave Johnson was perfectly timed. TheThis has been the most enjoyable game I think I have ever played. The comedy throughout is perfect and had me laughing from the first moment ("when you hear the buzzer, please stare at the painting.") to literally the last second of the single player game. The voice acting was masterfully done, and ever witty comment made by Wheatley, GLaDOS, and Cave Johnson was perfectly timed. The puzzles started out similar to the ones in the first Portal, but gradually grew more unique and larger in size. They included a zoom feature which is very helpful because sometimes you end up placing a portal so far away that you can barely see it otherwise. The learning curve is gradual. The new mechanics added to the game were genius; they brought so much to the puzzles, and they had to be used multiple ways as well, making you have to think outside the box. This game does a good job of pulling you into the world of Aperture Science is all its grandeur.

I have very few qualms with the game, but they are apparent. there are points in the game which seem to drag on. most of the time the pace is good, where new mechanics are added in each puzzle, but there are a few places where there's really no story happening and there's nothing new, just frustrating moments sitting in an enormous room trying to figure out how in the world you are going to get to the next test. There was one area where I literally looked around for about 30 minutes trying different things, and it was all because I could not find the one tiny area the game wanted me to put a portal. While most of the time you feel like you are trying to solve a puzzle, there are a few times where it feels like you are trying to figure out what the level designer was trying to get you to do. A few of the test chambers (and areas in between) have such an odd solution, and you've tried something very similar, just to fall a few steps short. Then you reload, thinking you didn't jump right, so you try again and fail. Unless you put the portals in exactly the right place and do exactly what the level designers wanted you to do, you can't pass.

With all that being said, I still think it is one of the best games I have ever played.

As far as the co-op goes, I was only able to experience a few of the final tests, and I joined up with someone who only had about 5 tests to go. I'm sure the beginning of the co-op test are easier and there's a decent learning curve, but where I started was fairly difficult. That being said, I felt it was more fun than the single player game. The puzzles forced you to work together, use each other's portals, and make sure each other gets to the end of the test. It doesn't count if you get there and leave your buddy behind. With all the frustration it brought, it definitely makes you think even more outside the box. The only qualm I had about the co-op was the ending. It seemed very simple and non-climactic. Other than that, I think that the co-op is going to be very fun to play through over and over. I also really like how the robots' creation and existence is given in the single-player game.

Many people are upset about what they call a DLC. I wouldn't call it that. You can pay for cosmetic appearance for your bots when playing co-op, but that's it. You actually even earn the costume parts as you play the co-op as well, so you don't even need to spend money to look different, you just have to play through the co-op.

I would normally rate this a 9, but there are so many trolls reviewing this game that I feel like I need to give it a 10 to balance them out. So, my real score: 9/10.
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    All this hate over the ARG, DLC, it being a supposed "console port", and other non-issues is ridiculous. I'm not sure where all this vitriol comes from and to merely blame "trolls" seems to simple an out (and the default counter argument on the internet).

Portal 2 does surpass the original in terms of gameplay, story, and future expandable potential. Is the price of $50 ($45 for the pre-order) justified by the content? Compared to other forms of media (and even other video games) I think it does. Consider: you spend $15 to see a 2 hour movie, which, arguably, probably doesn't tell a story nearly as well as Portal 2 does; the math works out in the favor of Portal 2. Or lets say that you could beat Portal 2 in 4 hours (NOTE: If you beat this in 4 hours, you probably weren't playing for the experience anyway), I think "4 hours" of an amazing game is better than 8 - 12 hours of a mediocre bore.

When it comes to Portal 2, the professional critics have it exactly right and the "fans" have it wrong. To not play this game based upon some vague anger is myopic at best because that means you'll miss out on arguably the greatest gaming experience of this year (if not ever).
  14. Apr 20, 2011
    A great game, definitely one of Valve's best yet. It takes a perfect, short experimental game and makes it into a full game, which may not be as perfect but has much bigger scope. Also, this is NOT a console port. Console ports do not have quicksave, developer console and advanced graphics options (see Crysis 2).
  15. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is pretty much a decent sequel.The length of the game is short but with the co-op mode i can enjoy for a few month.To be honest,i don't give a **** if you trolls like "ValveSucks" who dedicate his life to trolling valve.I can bet you trolls cant even make a game better then portal 2.
  16. Apr 20, 2011
    The first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowingThe first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowing me to play with some of my Playstation 3 buds. Brilliant from start to finish. Expand
  17. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply notAmazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply not anything negative I can find. It's extremely fun to play, and extremely fun to replay. Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    Thought it was fun. Co-Op was really fun too. Haven't beat the game yet but really enjoying the game so far. :D

Only problem really was the "robot enrichment"... hats ruined TF2, hope hats don't ruin portal 2 :)
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    The single player portion was fantastic. But to my surprise the co-op us where this game shines. I could have never imagined that playing portal with 2 people would be so fun.
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    This is everything I hoped it would be; the story pulls you along, the characters and dialogue shine, and the puzzles are tremendous fun to work out. Some of them are easy, others challenging.

I haven't finished the game, so I can't speak to its length, but I've put in a solid 4 or 5 hours and I'd guess I'm at the 1/2 point or so. I haven't played the coop yet, but I'm excited to check it out. As a disclaimer, I should point out that I didn't not participate in the controversial ARG, and I doubt I will even look at any skin-related DLC. I imagine much of the controversy on the quality of this game has to do with expectations about early release through buying the bundle. As to the perception that it is a console port, let me make it clear that I have little stomach for console first-person games (I don't own a console, though I do have a 360 controller for my pc for platformers and a few good 3rd person games). I have suffered at the hands of more than a few half-assed console ports (GTA 3 and Deux Ex 2, to name a few) and this has none of that. I would argue that some of the console-induced features, like careful labelling of control instructions, is a good thing and makes the game more fun to play. If you're reading reviews to decide whether to get the game, maybe you should play a friends' copy first. I think that anyone who really enjoyed the first game will find this one satisfying.
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    The top selling point of Portal 2 is the atmosphere, which far surpasses that of the first game. Absolutely amazing. Very nice graphics, delightful tasks to solve, nice new game-play mechanics and an epic underground complex to explore. Nicely played, Valve.
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    Briliant game, perfect in almost every way. Great story, characters, design and visuals. I really don't get all the ranting. Let me address the issues:
    1. Game is 4 hours short - now how is that even possible? The game took me 7,5 hours to beat and I was not once stopped on a difficult puzzle...and that is only single-player.
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are just a set of optional hats and gestures. And honestly, if anyone is stupig enough to pay real money for a stupid hat in a game, then that's their problem. Also they are unlockable within the game. Valve never made a payed DLC that was an extension for a game. All updates for TF2 were free, all campaigns for L4D were free. So most likely any extensions for Portal 2 will also be free...
    3. No replay value - really? I assume they got all the achievements, found all the secrets, marvelled at every detail on their first game...good job. I played through Portal 1 at least 4 times and every time it was incredible fun. After beating Portal 2 I got an imidiate urge to play through it again.
    Great game, totally worth the 50$. Really, don't listen to the rants and low scores.
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some blingAwesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some bling for your robot. Over all, this game is funny, original, and the standard for this type of puzzle game. Sure some of the problems are easy to solve but they don't need to crush peoples spirits to keep the trolls happy with uber hard genius level puzzles do they? I'll likely play this game over and over with my friends and I'd love to play it at some LAN events! Keep it up Valve! :) Expand
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    It's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make youIt's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make you stop and think (while being mocked by the excellent AI's). The entire story, even if attempting to blaze through the game would take 4 hours AT BEST. I ran through it casually in a little over 6 and still feel like I might have missed out on some things. There's a load of new achievements as well that require a fair amount of skill to complete which adds another level of depth to the game, let alone the multiplayer.

If you liked Portal, this game is worth the 45$ on Steam. If you're paying more than that for the game, then it's your problem for not buying it cheaper. It improves and expands on every aspect of the original. People that are all ruffled over the ARG and Potato Sack need to move along, neither of those should affect the rating of the game itself. As an aside, the ARG was all about generating hype (which it did very well, imo) and the Potato Sack supported a load of indie games at a massive discount that I also felt was well worth it.
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters andPortal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters and environment alive.

The gameplay and controls are very polished, as can be expected from a Valve game. Challenges are very close to being the perfect kind of challenging, I think the maximum amount of time I spent being stuck on any given test room was twenty minutes, and it wasn't often. The feeling of satisfaction from beating the puzzles is fantastic, and the pacing of the game is very fluid. The single player took me about eight hours, and while many people claim to have completed it in four I would like to point out that the timer for Steam for Portal 2 is a little off as after my initial three hours of play I decided to take a break and noticed that my Portal 2 timer only said I have been playing nineteen minutes.

I've only played a few chambers of coop, but I have to say that being able to play with a friend is amazing, and the unlockable emoticons, especially the ones that include both of the robots are satisfying to do. GlaDOS isn't lacking in coop either and she'll talk and give little quips about what you're doing and insult you as she normally does with Chell.

My last statement would be that I am a college student and don't have a huge budget for video games, normally I buy bargain bins and Steam sales, but I got sucked into the hype and bought it for PS3 for $60. Of course I'm not saying you should go out and buy it right now, but when you see a price you can afford for the game or have a friend you can borrow it from, then do it because you will not regret it.
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    I think this is the best game what I played! I can´t understand the negative user score. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing!!!!
    Thank you Valve!!!
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    The people here who are rating a this game a 0? Are they even playing the same game I am? Level design is perfect, the voice acting and script are just amazing. I'm 9 hours in and I'm almost done but this game is damn perfect in my book. The co-op is a blast...thank you so much Valve, thank you thank you thank you!
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    Just fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but sinceJust fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but since all its content is not essential to the gameplay or the levels themselves its just a little gimmick thing for those who want to wear cute little hats on cute little robots and I can't see anyone making a big deal about something as little as that Expand
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game. I think most people are disappointed because Valve sets the bar so high that it is hard for it to reach expectations. If this were a game from another publisher, people might give higher reviews. It's similar in length to most games these days so I don't see any issue there. It also is much longer that the first game with much more effort put into it so I would say thatGreat game. I think most people are disappointed because Valve sets the bar so high that it is hard for it to reach expectations. If this were a game from another publisher, people might give higher reviews. It's similar in length to most games these days so I don't see any issue there. It also is much longer that the first game with much more effort put into it so I would say that justifies the price. I bought the PC version which is 10 bucks cheaper than the XBOX / PS3 versions so maybe this is why I don't mind as much. As a game, it is very entertaining, pulls you in and makes the user think out the puzzles. Now I am off to start co-op mode! Expand
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    As any game by Valve, I loved it. Great fun, great story, great voice acting, great graphics (Source Engine still rocks :D )... everything was great about it. It should be given the Game of the Year award.

I was really happy when I saw that glass (broken glass to be precise) finally looked realistic in a Source game, as well as the fact that subtitles/closed captions were finally looking smooth and had a nice font in a Source game. --> if Valve update other source games to also utulize this, I'd be very happy, but probably not... (especially not Source games not made by Valve)

Yeah, yeah there's this whole thing about the in-game Store in CO-OP Mode, the MP part of Portal 2. But that doesn't make me lower my score. It's something Valve decided, some like some don't, but you don't need to buy the extra content to play the game. The player models and maps are there by default. I doubt that skins or hats have much effect on gameplay. Gesture on the other hand MIGHT (--> see TF2 taunts), but all in all seem rather insignificant.

10/10 is my final answer :D
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    Love every minute! Multi-player is brilliant!

I have no idea why some people her give the game so much hate. Its a full price title and its worth it.
    For me, so far the game of the year.
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    The game is astoundingly well done and despite the fact that the Source engine is nearly a decade old, Portal 2 looks fantastic. Anyone who is reviewing negatively really just wants a soap box to rage on, despite the fact that everyone is going to play it.
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    Great stuff! The graphics are gorgeous, the audio evocative, the characterbots fun and yes its too short only
    because its so much fun you don't want it to end. It runs very well on my ageing machine: 2.8 gig 32 bit P4,
    4650 ATI (1 gig). With all settings put to max there's no problem. Worth the money!
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority ofSimply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority of other games out there - this is a diamond in the rough, a shining beacon for our gaming medium. Expand
  35. May 28, 2011
    Absolutely Brilliant. I loved the first game, I love this one even more! It's a lot more complicated though! Highly recommened!!! I don't think I'll be able to return to portal 1 after this game. I also loved the music and half life feel to it. CO-op is also brilliant
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic follow up to an already amazing game. Portal 2 ranks up there with Bioshock 1 and Deus Ex in terms of timelessness. Though the single player isn't the longest ever, the multilayer is an all new campaign that extends the story. Overall the game is just fine lengthwise, and every second is of amazing quality. No complaints at all.
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    An amazing game from start to finish. This game isn't for everyone but; those who enjoyed the first game will love this one. The comedy, gameplay, just everything. It's all here. It took me about 9 hours for the single-player portion alone; and theres still Co-Op to it. Totally worth it
  38. Apr 21, 2011
    It is finally the best game of the year - if we put all aspects of gameplay, etc. together. And maybe best game from Valve, my favourite developer. I give him 10 of 10. i am not interested in "Mann Co. store" in TF2, except community map creators stamp support - this is great way to say :"Hello, we are here and we very much appreciate your work". So if you dont want this, stuff dont buyIt is finally the best game of the year - if we put all aspects of gameplay, etc. together. And maybe best game from Valve, my favourite developer. I give him 10 of 10. i am not interested in "Mann Co. store" in TF2, except community map creators stamp support - this is great way to say :"Hello, we are here and we very much appreciate your work". So if you dont want this, stuff dont buy it. It is a great way to financing future free DLCs or maybe another map creators like in TF2. I hope we get SDK soon and some cosmetic tweaks in menu would be great. Hint disabling, portal ghosting etc. After few updates will be perfect in all ways. Expand
  39. Apr 21, 2011
    Loving every second. Aperture labs has been recreated wonderfully, the character and stories surrounding the place have been incredibly well fleshed out and I'm still finding myself wandering around feeling really clever when i complete challenges or tasks in a way that I think is novel or smart but actually turns out to be what I was meant to do all along.
  40. Apr 21, 2011
    This game had me laughing from start to finish. The puzzles were well conceived, the writing was brilliant, and the story kept me wanting more. It was reasonably priced, and the co-op adds a nice element to puzzle solving while trying to do it with a friend. There are some obvious trolls in the negative reviews complaining about the "cash shop". The fact of the matter is that it hasThis game had me laughing from start to finish. The puzzles were well conceived, the writing was brilliant, and the story kept me wanting more. It was reasonably priced, and the co-op adds a nice element to puzzle solving while trying to do it with a friend. There are some obvious trolls in the negative reviews complaining about the "cash shop". The fact of the matter is that it has absolutely no bearing on the game play whatsoever and is completely optional. I still cannot think of a good reason why allowing people to further add to a game that they purchased is a bad thing.... Expand
  41. Apr 21, 2011
    some people are complaining about Portal's transformation into half life episode 3. this game rocks. its a good portal game. it has superb mind blowing puzzles. narration is incredible. Glados' passive-aggressive dialogues are super funny! Go buy it, work on puzzles achievements when you are done with the game find a friend and play multi-player. and get over with it. ITS A VALVE GAME.some people are complaining about Portal's transformation into half life episode 3. this game rocks. its a good portal game. it has superb mind blowing puzzles. narration is incredible. Glados' passive-aggressive dialogues are super funny! Go buy it, work on puzzles achievements when you are done with the game find a friend and play multi-player. and get over with it. ITS A VALVE GAME. VALVE ROCKS! Expand
  42. Apr 21, 2011
    This is a great game, and everything important has been said by the reviewers, this is more aimed at the people who complain about this games length or various other things that are completely un justified. For one, the game takes more than 5 hours if you completely immerse yourself in the game rather than charging levels and not caring about anything else, it took about 8-9 hours for me.This is a great game, and everything important has been said by the reviewers, this is more aimed at the people who complain about this games length or various other things that are completely un justified. For one, the game takes more than 5 hours if you completely immerse yourself in the game rather than charging levels and not caring about anything else, it took about 8-9 hours for me. Secondly why does anyone have a problem playing a 9 hour game which is all 100% quality, than a 40 hour game with 4 hours of quality because its so padded, or has you doing unnecessary things to make the game longer. People should seriously stfu about this. Co op has even more hours built in to it, and Valve is going to release more levels and content as well over time. Consider it an investment if you can't find it in yourself to pay for one of the most brilliant games of 2011. Comedy, game play, innovation and more. What else would you spend $50 on game wise? You can spend $100 on a "quality" re-skin of the CoD franchise I guess. Portal 2 is brilliant and well worth the money. Expand
  43. Apr 21, 2011
    Loved the single player. Great dialogue and witty humor is a huge plus. The game kept up a great pace because of it's great story and interesting mechanics. The co-op is also great. It gives the opportunity to keep playing amazing portal based puzzles that made you fall in love with the first Portal. That and GladOS's superb dialogue.
  44. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the best game out there. So far the story is amazing and I don't want to spoil you with anything. Just enjoy your ride through the Aperture facilities and try to find your way out of this mess. Only 3 games could be better in the future: Episode Three, Mass Effect 3 and Half-Life 3 :D
  45. Apr 21, 2011
    Visually stunning game. Challenging puzzles for previous players as well as new players. Humorous and fun. I enjoyed every level of this game (and the satisfying conclusion). I can't think of a way that Valve could have made it better.
  46. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic game, The level structure is great, the writing is masterful, voice acting incredible and the art design amazing. This takes everything that Portal did right and added onto it.
  47. Vix
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have rarely enjoyed in a game this much. Game is not short at all, played a fair couple of hours and I never used more than 10 minutes at a chamber, but simply enjoying the environment game offers and looking for secrets has extended my experience to a fair amount. Even first few chapters when I was already sure that game will end after 4th or 5th chapter, I got simply blown off by theI have rarely enjoyed in a game this much. Game is not short at all, played a fair couple of hours and I never used more than 10 minutes at a chamber, but simply enjoying the environment game offers and looking for secrets has extended my experience to a fair amount. Even first few chapters when I was already sure that game will end after 4th or 5th chapter, I got simply blown off by the awesomeness of story and when I thought game could not get any better, I got to the chambers with the gel. One of the best games ever. Expand
  48. Apr 22, 2011
    This game left me stunned. Its brilliant, in so many aspects, and the fact that i haven't even touched the co-op mode yet for sure makes this the so far best game of the year. Its rear with games that are so good that i give them a ten. Only one game last year, but what i know for sure is as soon as i finished a game its obvious if its a ten or not. This was no exception. Valve have doneThis game left me stunned. Its brilliant, in so many aspects, and the fact that i haven't even touched the co-op mode yet for sure makes this the so far best game of the year. Its rear with games that are so good that i give them a ten. Only one game last year, but what i know for sure is as soon as i finished a game its obvious if its a ten or not. This was no exception. Valve have done it again... Expand
  49. Apr 22, 2011
    A Valve masterpiece. Finished the Single Player Campaign and have not even touched the Co-op, but after seeing the awesome ending of this game I felt compelled to write a review about it. In this review I would like to set some things straight.

First of all, the game is not as short as some people are saying it is. People that are saying they beat the game in 2 - 4 hours are LYING. There is no way you can beat the game that fast. The single player took me 12 hours to beat. Now that's considering that I like to take my time and listen to all the FUNNY dialogue this game has. If I rushed it though I probably could have beaten it in about 7 - 9 hours.

Did I mention the game is FUNNY? This is probably the funniest game I have ever played in my life. I have never laughed out loud so many times in a game as I did in this one. J.K. Simmons and Stephen Merchant deserve metals.

I have seen some people say that the game was too easy, but for me the difficulty was perfect. (maybe they're geniuses with 150 IQs and I'm a dumbass) I honestly don't care I just had fun. In some of the harder chambers I would walk around and not know what to do. After messing around for some time the solution would suddenly hit me. And I would think "I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner". I would then solve the puzzle and feel a little sense of accomplishment. The game has an excellent learning curve, and if you can visualize yourself solving the puzzle you can execute it. The puzzles are not as dexterity based as some of the ones in portal.

I've heard people say the game has dated graphics which is odd because to me the game had excellent graphics. The source engine still looks great and runs so smooth. 60 fps on the highest settings (no crashes) and I just have a medium powered graphics card (GTS 250). One thing I appreciate about valve games is that the games run so smooth and look so great on less powerful machines.

And about the DLC robot Store. No one is forcing you to buy anything. End of story. Get over it. I can't believe there are people giving the game a 0 solely for that. To conclude. Thank you GABEN and Valve for making yet another awesome game! This game easily deserves Game of the Year for 2011.
  50. Zri
    Apr 23, 2011
    Not perfect, but pretty damned good. With sequels popping up left and right and usually missing the mark by a fair way, Portal 2 takes what was good in Portal and, well, keeps it good. The writing for the dialogue is spot on, the co-op is just fantastic, down to a snarky GladOS making comments at you waving at her cameras, and the portals are as good as ever.

But. In some cases the

But. In some cases the puzzles feel a bit too easy. In many cases it's too obvious where you should be placing portals, and one feeling that I consistently had while going through the single player game is that there was far too many surfaces that you couldn't attach a portal to, meaning that when you found one, you knew it was important. I felt that took a little away from the game.

That somewhat minor quibble aside, the game is just great.

I hope there will be more available for the co-op aspect of the game, as I think this is where the game really shines (user-generated or commercial, both would be good), and if they expect people to spend any money in their co-op bot decoration store, there better be a good reason to do it.
  51. Apr 23, 2011
    This is a wonderful title - cleverly written with great humor, solid mechanics that expand and evolve slowly, and a great length that provides satisfaction without overstaying its welcome. And some wonderful co-op gameplay that's been some of my most enjoyable in recent memory.

The negative reviews are all due to people being unnecessarily upset about the DLC, which a) can be obtained by completing in-game achievements, and b) is all cosmetic. You DO get ALL of the content that's important with the purchase price of the game. If you want your little robot to look different in a co-op campaign then by all means purchase a different paint scheme or top hat, or just unlock the achievements for it. But there's no need to bash this title for doing something as innocuous as adding unimportant and non-functional DLC.

Portal 2 is a great title, and one of the best games of this current generation. And the ending is completely brilliant - well done to everyone at Valve for providing such a satisfying conclusion and toying with the mood so perfectly. Don't miss out on enjoying this gem!
  52. Apr 23, 2011
    This game is incredibly well written and funny. Valve managed to actually make a successor to Portal that is worth the name.

I had a great time finishing the single player and playing coop with a friend. I do wish the puzzles were a little more challenging but the story makes more than up for that. When it comes to the item store I: A: don't mind it since there is no "vital" content in

When it comes to the item store I:

A: don't mind it since there is no "vital" content in there and

B: don't think that people understand what the item store means. Valve very well knows that people wont buy stuff for a coop mode that has almost no replay value. And there is a hub world in coop with a LOT of space that is not used. Taking valves track record of supporting their own products the only logical conclusion is: There will be new test tracks as DLC ... and those will most likely be free. That will add replay value to the game and probably make people think about buying some extra stuff in the store.

So ... before you actually criticize something like an item shop, at least take 5 minutes to think.

And to those saying this is a "lazy console port" because some guy somewhere got a "don't turn off your console" message on the PC version: grow the f* up.

This game is awesome and its very very well worth the full price.

PS: I would probably have given this game a 8 or 9 since there is always room to improve, but someone has to counter all those stupid 0/1 reviews.
  53. Apr 23, 2011
    A great follow-up to the original Portal, Portal 2 takes things a step further with a longer, more detailed single player campaign (with an intriguing expansion to the original story), more fantastic voice work, and once again the laugh out loud dark humor that made the first so great. My only complaint was that the single player could have been just a bit longer.

Go check it out!
  54. Apr 23, 2011
    An excellent game in all areas - especially sound design and voice acting. Level design is perhaps too perfect and lean, but Portal 2 in its design and theme serves as a neat deconstruction of Valve's approach to making games. All in all, it's creative, funny and extremely enjoyable.
  55. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back toPortal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back to the testing days of yore with many fun twists, and the characters are just as easy to fall in love with as before.

GAMEPLAY:
    Portal 2, like Portal 1, features impeccable gameplay. You will find nary a glitch or bug to hinder your experience. In single player, we are all familiar with the way we use the portal gun, and that hasn't changed. After a new character, a personality sphere named Wheatley wakes you from a sort of cryo sleep at the start of the game, and you find the portal gun by going through derelict versions of some of the first Portal 1 chambers. I found this nostalgically satisfying, but worrisome that Valve might just make a repeat game. However, you will see that this beginning is nothing to fret. It worked so well to introduce the mechanics in Portal 1, why not do it again, but with a twist? It effectively satisfies both old and new players alike.

Without revealing any spoilers, many new types of objects gan be used to solve some of these ingenious puzzles. Hard Light Bridges, Discouragement Beams (lasers), Excursion Funnels (energy tubes that carry objects and characters), and the Gels; Propulsion (an orange substance that makes you run fast) and Repulsion (blue substance that causes you to bounce high in the air) are all able to be manipulated by portals. Some of these tests can be as mind boggling as you might expect, and give the game a flavor all its own.

The Co-op story focuses more on the test chamber feel of Portal 1 than the single player story. The use of two sets of portals allows for wider range of possibilities in puzzle solving, and the brilliance of these tests impressed me with each progressive chamber. While not as story driven as Chell's encounters, gameplay truly dominates the Co-op as it did for much of the first title. And as a little bonus, you can interact with your Partner in Science by the way of hugs, high fives, dancing, or even a good old rock paper scissors match! It's easy to grow attatched to these characters, much easier than I had assumed.  Both modes are immensely fun to play through and don't disappoint those who love the good old Portal playstyle.

STORY:
    Without spoiling anything, I will simply say the the single player story is excellent. At times, the pace is slowed because of focus on the story, but by the end of the game you will be in awe. The characters are deep and multilayered, the story develops in ways the first game could not have, and our good enemy GLaDOS is back with a vengeance. Wth many more characters, a bittersweet, heartwarming and epic ending, and another addictingly catchy song during credits, this story meets the par set by its predecessor.

GRAPHICS:
    Portal 2, like most of Valve's titles for the last decade, runs off of the Source engine. With each game it releases Valve manages to up the engine capabilities. This game is no exception. While it doesn't have huge scenarios like L4D or HL2, it does have a level of polish no less than that of their last release, Left 4 Dead 2. The items and people are smooth and streamlined while the textures are rich, varied, and detailed. This game is easy on the eyes and sells its unique atmosphere..

SOUND:
    GLaDOS, the Portal Gun, the turrets, and any other returning objects sound about the same, if not better. The music is catchy and mood setting, but never dominates the game in an unnecessary way. Not a sound is out of place with his game, from the boxes bouncing, to the Excursion Funnel carrying, to a defective turret flying through the air. All the voices in the game are fitting, and extremely well performed. And if this isn't enough, Jonathan Coutlon has another GLaDOS voiced song to fill the credits.

DOWNSIDES:
    Portal 2 is brilliantly crafted, no doubt, but not perfect. For one, it lacks the "wow" factor of the first game. This is unavoidable. Portal 1 introduced a grand, groundbreaking concept to both the puzzle and shooter genres of gaming. This doesn't do that, but rather expands upon it. So don't expect the same awestruck feeling as when you popped in Still Alive. Also, the pacing sacrifice for the story can be annoying when you're just walking around random passageways for 20 minutes. Finally, seeing as the game is no more than 8 hours solid, the $60 price is a bit high.

All in all, Valve has crafted yet another great game, and any Portal lover should get their hands on this title ASAP. Start thinking with portals, again.
  56. Apr 23, 2011
    Full of witty and imaginative writing and dialogue. It's been a pleasure start to finish.

Stephen Merchant's lines as Wheatly, the droid you meet are quality, but Valve should have applied some effects to his voice. He sounds too human.
  57. Apr 23, 2011
    First Metacritic post here, even though I'm usually not a fan of Metacritic. On the contrary, I actually don't approve of the impact that numerous overly dramatic users can have on a game's success. But for Portal 2, I feel my voice must be heard to balance out the madness. This is an absolutely outstanding game. True, sensible, and non-dramatic fans of Portal will find much to enjoy here.First Metacritic post here, even though I'm usually not a fan of Metacritic. On the contrary, I actually don't approve of the impact that numerous overly dramatic users can have on a game's success. But for Portal 2, I feel my voice must be heard to balance out the madness. This is an absolutely outstanding game. True, sensible, and non-dramatic fans of Portal will find much to enjoy here. Valve has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. They introduced several new concepts to puzzle chamber solving. The inclusion of the three types of gels, laser beams, light bridges, catapults, tunnels contribute a kind of variety to what is at its core a very simple game. The story is terrific. There are a precious few games and game developers that can actually pull my heartstrings, and the Portal franchise and Valve fit the bill. If I could identify one fault with this game, it would be that there is a little too much tutorial. Portal PC players know that to pick up something or open a door, one must press E. I would have preferred that the developers included an option to turn off the tutorials. Perhaps there will be a patch. But it is such a small gripe. Small enough to make me wish that Metacritic allowed users to include decimal values in their ratings. If it did, I would rate this game a 9.7. Well done, Valve. I greatly appreciate your hard work on this remarkable achievement, and this probably goes without saying, but I hope you guys are ignoring all the drama queens on this website who are panning your game for no good reason at all. GREAT JOB. Expand
  58. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is an absolute masterpiece. The voice acting is some of the best that I've ever heard, the puzzles are just hard enough, the game runs beautifully on my 3 year old PC, and the added co-op is just as enjoyable as the single player. If you've considered buying this game and haven't yet, do it! The only bad part about this game is that, now that I'm finished with it, I can neverPortal 2 is an absolute masterpiece. The voice acting is some of the best that I've ever heard, the puzzles are just hard enough, the game runs beautifully on my 3 year old PC, and the added co-op is just as enjoyable as the single player. If you've considered buying this game and haven't yet, do it! The only bad part about this game is that, now that I'm finished with it, I can never experience it for the first time again. Expand
  59. Apr 23, 2011
    The game is nothing short of amazing, and all of the kvetching about DLC is completely misguided. People try and use the slippery slope fallacy to justify giving this masterpiece a terrible score, but what they don't grasp is that among game developers, Valve is one of the few big names that is actively attempting to scrabble back up the slope.
  60. Apr 23, 2011
    Its just one of the best games !
    i liked portal 1 and is just better.
    they did a great work with the new stuff. And the game was complete :) most of the games these times are Launched are not even finished. they did a great work with bringing a little portal 1 back :) The game also has a lot of humor :) And its just great ! 10/10 There will be a lets play soon on my channel
    Its just one of the best games !
    i liked portal 1 and is just better.
    they did a great work with the new stuff.
    they did a great work with bringing a little portal 1 back :)
    The game also has a lot of humor :)
    And its just great ! 10/10
    There will be a lets play soon on my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Itsgamingfriend
  61. Apr 23, 2011
    Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome humor, awesome characters, awesome voice over, awesome coop - awesome game. You want to do something good for yourself? Play Portal 2. It is one of the best games I´ve ever played and certainly the funniest one. Now, go and buy it. Otherwise, you´re a moron.
  62. Apr 23, 2011
    I had to laugh at the "0" score further down. That's a retarded score that just cant be taken seriously. Anyway, simply put Portal 2 was all in all 16.2 hours of gameplay for me. That includes co-op with a friend. But those 16 hours of gameplay are hands down the most entertaining hours Ive had in ANY game for quite a few years. Basically no replayability for my sake, but I went into theI had to laugh at the "0" score further down. That's a retarded score that just cant be taken seriously. Anyway, simply put Portal 2 was all in all 16.2 hours of gameplay for me. That includes co-op with a friend. But those 16 hours of gameplay are hands down the most entertaining hours Ive had in ANY game for quite a few years. Basically no replayability for my sake, but I went into the deal fully aware of this. A spectacular single-player campaign with so much humor and entertainment value. And the co-op was incredibly fun as a one-time playthrough. Good job Valve. I really enjoyed this one. Expand
  63. Nex
    Apr 23, 2011
    After finishing Portal 2 i felt into this sad-like mood....and believe me, that only happens when i finish something awesome, something over the top....Same thing happened before when i watched last episode of LOST and now with Portal 2...simply amazing game, marvel in todays sea of bad consolitis games...That is all!
  64. Apr 23, 2011
    This game had a great story I just don't like some of the mechanic changes such as,
    -No more crouch jumping.
    -No more portal tunneling.
    -The portal gun cursor no longer shows you what places or portable or not.
  65. Apr 23, 2011
    Pay no attention to anyone giving this game a bad score, they are the people who want to nit pick the small details. I enjoyed this game immensely. The dark humor, the underlying story that you had to piece together, the puzzles. I can't name a single thing i didn't like about portal 2.
  66. Apr 24, 2011
    A beautifully constructed SinglePlayer experience, with awesome puzzles, story and visuals even though the source engine is quite old. The SP mode surpasses the amazing HL2 and it's episodes and is a huge upgrade from Portal 1. The co-op is just as good and at times better with a lot of opportunities for co-op bonding, highly recommended for everyone. An exceptional game and one of theA beautifully constructed SinglePlayer experience, with awesome puzzles, story and visuals even though the source engine is quite old. The SP mode surpasses the amazing HL2 and it's episodes and is a huge upgrade from Portal 1. The co-op is just as good and at times better with a lot of opportunities for co-op bonding, highly recommended for everyone. An exceptional game and one of the best video gaming experiences I've had in years. Stay tuned for later updates and community made levels and mods! Expand
  67. Apr 24, 2011
    Game of the year. Game of the decade. Game of the century. Game of the everything. Portal is the new Half-Life, you have to play it at some point in your gaming life. THAT TIME IS NOW.
  68. Apr 24, 2011
    Simply one of the best games I have played in years. Excellent story-telling, fantastic voice acting, and incredibly high production values support a puzzle game of exquisite brain-teasers. Pure class.

The single player game takes approximately 8 hours to play though; the genius co-op game takes a similar amount of time. I simply did not want it to end, enjoyed every single second of it. Started to play through it again immediately after finishing, to go find all the hidden Easter eggs. A gem.

Similar to other Valve games thereâ
  69. Apr 24, 2011
    Ok it may be shorter than other titles you can pick up for the price, but what Valve have succeeded in doing time and time again is to create a perfectly packaged experience. They have prioritized Quality over quantity, and although i may not want to play through it again, i feel completely fulfilled with just one play through. I also agree that it isn't particularly hard, but that's aOk it may be shorter than other titles you can pick up for the price, but what Valve have succeeded in doing time and time again is to create a perfectly packaged experience. They have prioritized Quality over quantity, and although i may not want to play through it again, i feel completely fulfilled with just one play through. I also agree that it isn't particularly hard, but that's a testament to the game design that they subtly each you how to complete the puzzles in advance so you never get stuck. But i hope that valve follows up with some free DLC with some more challenging levels or more Co-op missions (that coop hub was too big for just 5 chapters) which will make the price point worthwhile. Expand
  70. Apr 24, 2011
    This game was completely breathtaking.. utterly outstanding.. phenomenal.. I can't express how much I loved it.. the BEST game I have ever played, and I've played a hell of a lot. Yes, ok, it wasn't the longest game ever.. but if you think about all the extra little bits they've put into it and all the back-story, it is incredible.. I cannot wait for more portal.. whether that be portal 3This game was completely breathtaking.. utterly outstanding.. phenomenal.. I can't express how much I loved it.. the BEST game I have ever played, and I've played a hell of a lot. Yes, ok, it wasn't the longest game ever.. but if you think about all the extra little bits they've put into it and all the back-story, it is incredible.. I cannot wait for more portal.. whether that be portal 3 (hopefully asap) or DLC I will be buying it.. And I would definitely recommend it to anyone.. even people who don't normally play games, it has something extra, something special.. 10/10 Expand
  71. Apr 24, 2011
    I really enjoyed Portal 2, it was by far the most awesome game I played in a while now. The game has a good storyline, cool characters and really good jokes and puzzles. The coop has a separate story which is as good as the singleplayer one. The editor will be released later, and I think, with community-made maps, Portal 2 will be one of the best games this year.
  72. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best games out there. the game is a masterpiece the story keeps you interested the whole game and the game was about 8 hours long and after beating it i wanted to play right through it again.

The co-op shows every other game company how co-op should be done one of the most fun on line games i have ever played
  73. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best games ever. Amazing story, interesting puzzles, likeable characters, it's witty and funny withouth being retarded, psycological and original. It's just really fun! The first one was awesome, this one is epic. It explains what was missing in Portal one's plot withouth giving away everything. Even knowing the risks of being bad, I kinda want to see a third one.
  74. Apr 24, 2011
    An absolutely phenomenal gaming experience on so many levels. Valve just keep getting better and better... and even better. There is no end to their creative genius.
  75. Apr 24, 2011
    I've played this through. Indeed it was rather short though this is what one should expect from a game like portal. There could have been endless test chambers with puzzle after puzzle but unless the gameplay is completely changed, there is no way to really keep the game interesting that way. This game is driven by a story that makes the puzzling less monotonous. I couldn't see myselfI've played this through. Indeed it was rather short though this is what one should expect from a game like portal. There could have been endless test chambers with puzzle after puzzle but unless the gameplay is completely changed, there is no way to really keep the game interesting that way. This game is driven by a story that makes the puzzling less monotonous. I couldn't see myself playing a 20 hour long Portal campaign, there just simply isn't enough to the game. If you are looking for an extended challenge, they're called mods. Welcome to PC gaming.
    It also makes sense for the PC version to have the same loading levels as the console games. With the goals of cross platform compatibility, it would have taken Valve a long time to make two different versions that were compatible. The question of DLC. I didn't know there was any until I read reviews. Apparently it's enough to offend several users enough to rate this game 0/10. If I at any time felt like I was being sold to in game then maybe I'd support these reactions, but what I saw was a game that was on sale at pre-order that I had more fun with than any of the Gears of War games since the first, or any Call of Duty games for that matter.
    I loved this game. It was well worth the $35 I paid for it brand new and would have been worth $60 if I was dumb enough to not look for a deal.
  76. Apr 24, 2011
    An amazing game, It was fun and quirky and the puzzles where great. Some of the best voice acting and dialogue from a video game in a long time. The length is about 6-9 hours single player with a 6 hour or so co-op mode. The story will have you smiling the whole time.
  77. Apr 24, 2011
    An incredibly good game. I would be very surprised if I get to play something better this year. Fully recommended for everybody with a heart (at all) and a mind for videogames.

Whining about COMPLETELY OPTIONAL DLCs which have NO EFFECT on the game whatsoever is ridiculous, and giving the game bad reviews because of it is childish and plain malicious.
  78. Apr 24, 2011
    If you're someone who measures a game's worth primarily by it's playtime, Portal 2 may be a bit disappointing to you. However, this is typically not how most media (film, music, books, etc.) is judged - you won't find the New York Times scoring an excellent film lower just because it has a shorter run time than another potentially not-as-good film, and ticket prices are almost neverIf you're someone who measures a game's worth primarily by it's playtime, Portal 2 may be a bit disappointing to you. However, this is typically not how most media (film, music, books, etc.) is judged - you won't find the New York Times scoring an excellent film lower just because it has a shorter run time than another potentially not-as-good film, and ticket prices are almost never factored into film reviews (except for the case of 3D, which is another story.) I think we can all agree that movies as well as video games are overpriced, regardless of how good they are.

So, ignoring all other factors, I feel that Portal 2 is easily one of the best games on the market today, and an experience no gamer (or person, for that matter,) should miss. Every bit of this game, from start to finish, is polished, well thought out, surprising in it's plot and ever changing gameplay, and, simply put, fun and entertaining. I personally felt that, for a game such as this, the length was perfect - the game took what Portal 1 did and expanded upon all elements in such a way that somehow makes the first, once thought of a revolutionary, now seem primitive.

When you get right down to it, I'd much rather pay $50 for a slightly shorter but much higher quality product, than for a game that is lesser in quality but much longer due to repetitive gameplay. I guess it's up to you.
  79. Apr 25, 2011
    This game was great. Some could argue that the 10-12 hours of game-play was insufficient, but the game made up for the short length with pure awesome. There's no hair-pulling difficulty, but neither is it too easy. Altogether a superbly balanced game that fulfilled my extremely high expectations. I look forward to the user maps to come.
  80. DSI
    Apr 25, 2011
    This is the best puzzle game I have ever played hands down. The co-op takes things to a whole new level. The humor is dead on, once again. Fantastic.
  81. May 19, 2011
    10/10 - I struggle to give 10/10 for a game, and don't misunderstand - this game isn't absolutely perfect - but it is as close to perfection as a game is likely to get and 9/10 just doesn't seem good enough. The story and script is top notch, the graphics and controls are all but flawless and the sense of achievement is thoroughly satisfying.
    If I had to criticize - it would be out of a
    If I had to criticize - it would be out of a desire for more! The game isn't all that replayable until some time has passed for you to forget some of the puzzles. It would be nice to have a set of "challenge" levels to really stretch the old noggin.
    All-in-all, best game I have played in the last couple of years by quite a way.
  82. May 20, 2011
    Greatly improved to the previous title. Better and more complex levels. Nice und improved story, funny dialogues and a lot of more ways to get through the levels. 9/10
  83. May 22, 2011
    Valve delivers again with a game that is both witty in its mechanics as it is in its story and dialogue. Portal 1 was a flawless albeit short experience that shows that new ideas can be merged with old preconceptions. Always innovating, Portal 2 is an excellent puzzle challenge that will keep you amused for about 8 hours. It also has a nice co-op campaign that furthers the gameplay a lotValve delivers again with a game that is both witty in its mechanics as it is in its story and dialogue. Portal 1 was a flawless albeit short experience that shows that new ideas can be merged with old preconceptions. Always innovating, Portal 2 is an excellent puzzle challenge that will keep you amused for about 8 hours. It also has a nice co-op campaign that furthers the gameplay a lot more.
    It holds your hand a little bit, and some puzzles require more trial and error than thought & skill, but overall it is a very solid game.
  84. May 25, 2011
    I love this game! With its amazing singleplayer, funny co-op, amazing gameplay and awesome story, it is one of the best games ever! The biggest problem with it is that the co-op isn't that replayible, but that is ok as long as it is awesome
  85. May 28, 2011
    Great, great, great game!! I, like many others, loved the first one and I am glad that the 2nd one comes back with just as much passion. In my mind it is just as good as the first one, but by that virtue it means that the novelty is not quite as high. That is a non-issue though. Everything that was awesome about the first one is awesome again in this one. I also still have the endGreat, great, great game!! I, like many others, loved the first one and I am glad that the 2nd one comes back with just as much passion. In my mind it is just as good as the first one, but by that virtue it means that the novelty is not quite as high. That is a non-issue though. Everything that was awesome about the first one is awesome again in this one. I also still have the end credit song in my head. Expand
  86. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the best games made on a source engine. Better than first part, but have in mind that first Portal wasn't and standalone title, just small ad-don to Orange Box. This one could be more challengeable, but I know kids on consoles have problem with playing games that makes a challenge. ~8h of playing worth cash I spent on it.
  87. Aug 10, 2011
    I just bought this game a few days ago. I haven't beaten it yet (I know its short), but so far it has won me over. This game, like the first, has such a charm to it that your left flabbergasted at how well put together it is. From the graphics to the voice acting, to the story line and the way its put together to the puzzles. I know I will end up spending hours upon end on this game,I just bought this game a few days ago. I haven't beaten it yet (I know its short), but so far it has won me over. This game, like the first, has such a charm to it that your left flabbergasted at how well put together it is. From the graphics to the voice acting, to the story line and the way its put together to the puzzles. I know I will end up spending hours upon end on this game, probably not only with the main storyline, but also with custom content and MP. Thank you valve, you actually managed to create a game with a proper sense of humor (the reds apparently didn't "get it"). I don't mind that it's short, aslong as those hours spent completing the game are spent with a big-ass smile on my face I am good. With this game I am smiling after I shut it down for the night. Expand
  88. Aug 13, 2011
    This is an absolutely brilliant game. Everybody should own it, especially since the price dropped to only $30 on steam. The graphics are amazing, and the story was very entertaining.
  89. Aug 24, 2011
    Perfectly braingcrash game from very cool developers
  90. Sep 13, 2011
    Absolutely stunning. This is an epic scale game with new ways to interact with the environment, new puzzle types, new personalities, and a huge helping of witty quips. It's funny as hell, and the mechanics are incredibly rewarding. The only issue is that the puzzles are a little bit too easy and the campaign is therefore quite short (maybe 3-5 hrs). But throw in multiplayer and it'sAbsolutely stunning. This is an epic scale game with new ways to interact with the environment, new puzzle types, new personalities, and a huge helping of witty quips. It's funny as hell, and the mechanics are incredibly rewarding. The only issue is that the puzzles are a little bit too easy and the campaign is therefore quite short (maybe 3-5 hrs). But throw in multiplayer and it's definitely worth $20. Expand
  91. Apr 19, 2011
    yea yea. We expected more from the game. But its still amazing. C'mon, is almost impossible to make something better than portal 1 and they made it! BUT LOTS OF PEOPLE dont want just a better game, they want a perfect game.
    Hatters ganna hate.
  92. Apr 19, 2011
    If you disregard all of the user reviews that have egregiously bad spelling and grammar (not knowing the diference between there/they're/their, spelling 'paid' as 'pay'd', for example) then only positive reviews are left for this game. Which is as it should be, this game is deserving of all the superlatives being tossed at it. So do yourself a favor and ignore all the idiocy going on inIf you disregard all of the user reviews that have egregiously bad spelling and grammar (not knowing the diference between there/they're/their, spelling 'paid' as 'pay'd', for example) then only positive reviews are left for this game. Which is as it should be, this game is deserving of all the superlatives being tossed at it. So do yourself a favor and ignore all the idiocy going on in this user review section, and get this game now. Expand
  93. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic game. 472/177 give it a positive review. On this site, that's like gold. If you haven't noticed, people often come here to troll. Ignore them, this game is everything portal was. The magic is here, and it feels like a real PC game. Smoothest PC gameplay in years, and looks great. GlaDOS is Just as funny as before, and you get to learn where her personality comes from. FantasticFantastic game. 472/177 give it a positive review. On this site, that's like gold. If you haven't noticed, people often come here to troll. Ignore them, this game is everything portal was. The magic is here, and it feels like a real PC game. Smoothest PC gameplay in years, and looks great. GlaDOS is Just as funny as before, and you get to learn where her personality comes from. Fantastic story. Wish it was a little longer, but that's hard to ask for without waiting a few more years as it takes quite a while to design and test such a game. If you really do expect a longer puzzle based game, that is as GOOD as this one, your $h17 out of luck. Expand
  94. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve has done it again. Portal 2 exceeds on every single level that the first did. The puzzles are more intricate. The story is more enticing. All of the gels add a lot more to the gameplay as well. The voice acting is great (J.K. Simmons is amazing as Cave Johnson). Portal 2 is what every gamer expects from a sequel. The same gameplay mechanics, with a new and better story. A trueValve has done it again. Portal 2 exceeds on every single level that the first did. The puzzles are more intricate. The story is more enticing. All of the gels add a lot more to the gameplay as well. The voice acting is great (J.K. Simmons is amazing as Cave Johnson). Portal 2 is what every gamer expects from a sequel. The same gameplay mechanics, with a new and better story. A true masterpiece. Now, let's get working on Half-Life 2: Ep. 3 / Half-Life 3. Expand
  95. Apr 22, 2011
    Brilliant. An example of gaming done right, without resorting to violence yet still exciting. Imaginative and intelligent plot, music and gameplay with equal parts drama, introspection, loneliness and action. And comedy, of course!
  96. Apr 24, 2011
    If this game was just an expansion of the first portal, then I would have been dissapointed. However, Portal 2 offers additions: reflection cubes, various coloured paint, wall/bridges & pull/push beams to keep the gameplay varied and ultimately this game has very impressive level design. I didn't find the game that amusing, but there are more lines from NPC's to make you smile. I thinkIf this game was just an expansion of the first portal, then I would have been dissapointed. However, Portal 2 offers additions: reflection cubes, various coloured paint, wall/bridges & pull/push beams to keep the gameplay varied and ultimately this game has very impressive level design. I didn't find the game that amusing, but there are more lines from NPC's to make you smile. I think this game is far superior to the original and I highly recommend it. Expand
  97. Apr 19, 2011
    The best game ever !
    Beautiful, funny, and very very immersive. Just huge!
    I did put the max rating because the game is not perfect, but Portal 2 clearly approaching. Great gameplay , great design and graphics, a nice story, humor and a fantastic atmosphere! An intelligent game, although I find it a little too easy. As for Coop, he's amazing. What fun ! You too, enjoy yourself, and start
    The best game ever !
    Beautiful, funny, and very very immersive. Just huge!
    An intelligent game, although I find it a little too easy.
    As for Coop, he's amazing.
    What fun !
    You too, enjoy yourself, and start your adventure, you will not regret it.

My score : 10

P.S : Sorry for my poor English, I'm French.
  98. Apr 20, 2011
    Undoubtedly the best game of the past 5 years. First I will address the trolls: I don't know why everyone throws this $60 number around, because on Steam, it's $49.99, and it's well worth the price. Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops sold for more and have DLCs that were actually necessary to the game, and I would still say "Portal 2 is better" with a straight face. Speaking of DLCs, I wouldUndoubtedly the best game of the past 5 years. First I will address the trolls: I don't know why everyone throws this $60 number around, because on Steam, it's $49.99, and it's well worth the price. Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops sold for more and have DLCs that were actually necessary to the game, and I would still say "Portal 2 is better" with a straight face. Speaking of DLCs, I would appreciate it if people didn't just say "I heard Portal 2 has DLCs, that's crap!" and actually figured out that it's similar to TF2's Mann Co. Store - just hats and weapon changes (hardly upgrades). However, Portal doesn't sell any weaponry, just simple cosmetic effects (i.e. hats) that have absolutely no effect on gameplay and are 100% unnecessary. The $80 number you hear? That's just the combined value of EVERYTHING in the store, which nobody in the world would ever buy. It should not be included in the game. If people want to put a hat on a robot unnecessarily, I believe Valve can make them pay for the privilege so we don't have everyone dressed up like pimps while solving puzzles. It is not "robbery". It is not forced. It is for people who have money to blow. If you don't want to spend extra money, pay $49.99 and enjoy the game. As for the completion time, anyone that says they're completing it in under 6 hours (ESPECIALLY on their first try) is pulling your leg, possibly because they think the Steam game timer is accurate (hint: it's not). It took me approximately 9 not including my foray into the co-op, and I didn't get stuck very often. The singleplayer is memorable, entertaining, and the ending will draw tears. I can't say that for Black Ops. The whole potato ordeal - if you had played the game, you would have noticed several references to potatoes (including one that's right in front of you for the entire second half of the game!) but the entire point of the Potato Sack sale was to market indie games, NOT to cheat people out of money for worthless potatoes. If you bought the Potato Sack to earn potatoes, I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. Those who bought it to play the indie games, congratulations, you now have $120 worth of games for only $30! Cool, huh? And hey, if you managed to earn all possible potatoes, Valve did a one-up - you got the ENTIRE Valve Collection PLUS gift codes for all of your games in your ENTIRE library to give to friends PLUS a free extra copy of Portal 2! Hence, I'm not so sure why the Potato Sack sale was a bad thing. Now, onto the review: Portal 1 was an entirely new genre, which makes it fun and refreshing, but lacking on a lot of puzzle elements. Only so much one can do with two portals and some cubes. Portal 2 takes the storyline, puzzle elements, and preconceptions based off of Portal 1 and turns it on its head. Anyone that played the original MUST play this - you will be confused, lost, and bombarded with emotions, and I will say that what you came away with from Portal 1 is all wrong. The graphics are amazing, especially for a Source game. The tweaks to the facility make the storyline really start to shine, and the underground chapters blew my mind. Those saying Portal 2 didn't expand on Aperture's history obviously have not played the game, as it showed 3 decades of it quite vividly! I loved Portal, but it pales in comparison to this game. If you have any love for the Portal series, you're a puzzle gamer by any means, or you'd just like to experience GLaDOS's impeccable sense of sarcastic humor (not to mention Wheatley, Cave, the announcer, and the defective turrets!) then you must purchase this game. Expand
  99. Apr 19, 2011
    Aight. So i'm going to explain the history of the ARG to those who are thinking of buying this game. Here we go.
    First, clues were released. Some you could find in real life, some on websites, some in games. 36 potatoes were believed to be attainable for a certain 'reward' that was hinted at. A timer for a POSSIBLE early release was shown on Friday April 15th. No promises, never worded like "ITS RELEASING EARLY THIS FRIDAY." None of that. Being the non-idiot that I was, I anticipated an april fools joke, which it wound up being. Apparently nobody found it funny, although I found it hilarious, especially when everyone nerd raged. So then ARG became official. If you wanted to partake you either had to buy the potato pack or had to have all the indie games already. It wasn't FORCED or OBLIGATED, and yet everyone complains of course. If you didn't want to participate, didn't want the early release, THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE most of us said, but they kept whining. They even have the gall to say that every game in the pack sucked. Amnesia, Killing Floor, Audiosurf and more, in the pack, all some of my most favourite games have been heralded for being some of the best most unique indie games out there. Not my fault that you love your Black Ops or Dragon Age 2 so much you lost sight on what makes a game good, but moving on.
    Disaster happens, Portal 2 console gets leaked, spoilers are spammed all over the forums by trolls, and somehow Valve becomes responsible. Even if people don't claim they are responsible though, they still cling onto this "We are entitled to early release because at this point i'm sad and the ending is spoiled for me, please don't make me sad anymore, the damage is done now release release release!!!" Which of course is ridiculous. Games get leaked or pirated early ALL THE TIME. You are NOT entitled to anything. There was no sense in having it released this early simply because a few idiots went on the forums despite the leak being common knowledge. Those that aren't whiny emos either leave it alone or participate, or at the very least looked at all this with more of a critical eye. 60% of the profits from the potato pack was going to indie developers, which is always a good thing in my book. We were racking up the indie game hours so we could chip a few hours off the timer, and thats what we got. We had a midnight release, which was glorious. Those that collected all the potatoes(Which the whole process was actually fun by the way, was kind of like detective work) got it even earlier than the others, and also received the valve complete pack. Amazingly generous, and yet people still complain about not getting extra copies if they already had it, those that didn't complete it on time called it **** blah blah blah. So what it all was was a bunch of people being sore losers. They either couldn't afford the potato pack which is fine, it just means you don't get the perks. Don't know about you but I think the world works that way, the more you pay the more perks you get. Also those that work (for their potatoes) those that put time into it get huge perks. Simple as that. If you missed out thats entirely your fault. If you don't like it this way and you are incapable of looking at Valve as a game company, not a charity case, then your view is skewed.
    They can be generous, but there is a limit. All in all the ARG campaign was intricate and fun, and Portal 2 (As of now I have finished it) was a gorgeous gorgeous game. I have to admit with it being rated E and all I expected it to be stuffed with cheese, but it had just the right amount to make it enjoyable. The day one dlc that everyone is making a fuss about are just a few extra skins. Nothing akin to Bioware having day one dlc like an entire character that affects the story or anything. Don't want it? Don't buy it, simple. This goes for just about everything that I mentioned in this review.
    I hope this brought some perspective. If it didn't thats too bad, because you're missing out.
  100. Apr 19, 2011
    Loving this game. 6 hours played so far and I'm failing on the white-out level due to my eyes hanging out! Beautifully polished game, with great voice acting and good humour. Was absolutely worth the wait. I've not tried cooperative yet but the single player alone has been worth the purchase and I'm not even finished yet!

10/10 Valve - superb work.
  101. Apr 20, 2011
    This review is meant for those who waited to see the reaction before buying this game. Coming from a dedicated PC gamer who has played a large assortment of games of every type, I will tell you that Portal 2 is something special. Where the first game taught us to think with portals, this game perfects the original formula, and also gives players a new set of testing mechanics. ThroughThis review is meant for those who waited to see the reaction before buying this game. Coming from a dedicated PC gamer who has played a large assortment of games of every type, I will tell you that Portal 2 is something special. Where the first game taught us to think with portals, this game perfects the original formula, and also gives players a new set of testing mechanics. Through it all, Portal 2 is the most polished PC game I have ever played, and manages to look amazing while continuing the snarky, funny, amazing storyline that was set up by its predecessor.

Reasons to Play:

Story: Aperture Science has changed, but Valve's commitment to immersive gaming remains at the forefront.
    Dialog: Following an act like Glados was a hard thing to do. No game could really have matched the original game, but the successor appropriately followed it up, and drove home the fact that you never left Aperture Science, and that they are still the strange, hilarious, OSHA violating people you knew and loved, and their announcements still show it handily.
    GFX: Portal was pretty in its own way, but a limited team and limited time translated to limited resources to work with, so complaints of monotony arose. There is no such problem here. Aperture Science looks wonderful, in its own crumbling, disastrous way. In my opinion, a decrepit research facility has never looked more beautiful.

Addressing complaints:
    Length: The single player campaign lasted me 8 hours, and should easily last most people at least 7. That is the single player section of the game, and I have yet to try Cooperative. That's the length of the original several times over, yet people are complaining loudly about this. Part of the reason, and my reason to laugh at people like this, is addressed in the next section.
    Price: At $45 Steam preorder, Portal 2 wasn't a cheap game. Still, there are several things that should be noted here. Take the original Modern Warfare. It took me 5 hours my first playthrough, and yet it sold for pretty much the same price as far as I remember, and no one complained as loudly or unjustly as people have here. In the end, Portal 2 is not as long as something like Half-Life 2, but keep in mind, few people actually do make games of that length. Guess which company is one of the few who have done so lately? Valve, right...

Buy Portal 2. If $50 is asking a bit much, wait for December. If Valve follows their pattern (ie, L4D, L4D2), it will probably drop to $20 semipermanently around that point. Of course, by then it will probably be hopelessly spoiled for you... At any rate, it's worth it.

1. Oct 20, 2011