Portal 2 PC

8.8

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Vivid Environments, Stunning Storytelling and an immense immersion of humour in what is the best of valves collection to date. Portal 2 has bumped the valve franchise up a notch with this co-op/single player First Person Puzzler (FPP), Its extremely enjoyable and lived up to the reputation as have all the Half-Life Series. Hopefully Episode three is tied up in with this story lineVivid Environments, Stunning Storytelling and an immense immersion of humour in what is the best of valves collection to date. Portal 2 has bumped the valve franchise up a notch with this co-op/single player First Person Puzzler (FPP), Its extremely enjoyable and lived up to the reputation as have all the Half-Life Series. Hopefully Episode three is tied up in with this story line somewhere.

In a short Summation: "Kick-Ass"

Valve has broken the tension between waiting for games to be made with this stunning work of art, yes, this game I would highly recommend to the gaming community. If you like the original Portal or Half-Life series, you will enjoy this TENFOLD!

Have fun, Immerse yourselves.
    PaidGamers
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Some people's complaints about modern gaming's business models aside Valve's Portal 2 is a game full of dark humor and wonderful character that's easily the best thing you'll have the to opportunity to waste your money on this year.

If you liked Portal you will like this. That's all there is to it. We're done here.
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent game, with some pretty unique puzzles in there that can take a while to complete.
    It's still rather short however.
    It's still rather short however.
    And I don't understand all the downvotes from DLC. It's not like they're holding out half the game on you. All you don't get is a few little optional extras that don't change the game in the slightest. The game isn't perfect, but could you honestly pick anything pettier to complain about?
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    It's got everything that I expected it to have and much, much more, such as... a loading screen between every single level! Huzzah! Oh.. wait... no. I almost forgot that I LOATH loading screens with the passion of a thousand blazing suns!! Seriously, ya think they could have come up with a more clever way of loading each level. Maybe something like, oh I dunno, using opaque windowlessIt's got everything that I expected it to have and much, much more, such as... a loading screen between every single level! Huzzah! Oh.. wait... no. I almost forgot that I LOATH loading screens with the passion of a thousand blazing suns!! Seriously, ya think they could have come up with a more clever way of loading each level. Maybe something like, oh I dunno, using opaque windowless elevators like they did in Portal 1??

But, I digress. Ya know, when a few extra loading screens is the only reasonable imperfection that you can find in an otherwise perfect game, then you know you've got yourself a pretty damn epic piece of software. And portal 2 is epic. It's also extremely well polished. I dare speculate that the entire active bug list might fit on one sheet of paper, single sided, and double spaced. Other than a really minor sound stutter at the end of some levels, I've yet to run into anything even resembling a bug.

There's nothing else to say. Valve's crew stuck to the formula and created a squeal that is not only worthy of the original, but also strong enough to stand entirely on its own. Portal 2 is a shoe-in for Game of the Year. This game is a home run in anyone's book.

Bravo, Valve! Bravo.
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    OK, i've played 30 minutes this morning... But in this time i've had much more fun than in the whole 12 hours i've played Dragon Age 2 so far...
    I was sceptical if it would live up to the fantastic first part, but it definitively seems so...
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    I created an account on Metacritic just to make a review for this game to counter all of the **** that it's been unjustly receiving. Portal 2 is a great game. You'll play it and love it for its story, clever puzzles, top notch voice acting, and creativity. People are being stupid and butt-hurt because they expected the game to end world hunger and cure cancer, and now they're **** about itI created an account on Metacritic just to make a review for this game to counter all of the **** that it's been unjustly receiving. Portal 2 is a great game. You'll play it and love it for its story, clever puzzles, top notch voice acting, and creativity. People are being stupid and butt-hurt because they expected the game to end world hunger and cure cancer, and now they're **** about it because they've forgotten to have fun while playing a video game.

Play Portal 2. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and if you don't think so, you need to reexamine your definition of fun.
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    Single player lasted longer than I though, but still turned out to be a bit short for fifty bucks. Otherwise the production values are top notch, the acting is great. Multi-Player is flawless, but also suffers from being so short. It seems that the replayability of Portal 2 seems to be riding on the community support of custom maps and challenges. But you might expect a few play throughsSingle player lasted longer than I though, but still turned out to be a bit short for fifty bucks. Otherwise the production values are top notch, the acting is great. Multi-Player is flawless, but also suffers from being so short. It seems that the replayability of Portal 2 seems to be riding on the community support of custom maps and challenges. But you might expect a few play throughs to gather up all the secrets you might have forgotten. Expand
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    Another wonderful masterpiece brought to you by VALVe. This is A+ quality, well worth the $50 bucks.
    Everything looks so good in this game, the source engine seems to have evolved, it looks prettier than ever.
    If you liked the first installment of Portal, i'm sure you'll love Portal 2 with passion.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    So, I haven't finished the game yet, but I've played a good 2 hours worth and I must say that this game has met all of my expectations so far. Did I mention I've played for 2 hours and still not done? Instead of the 30-60 minutes Portal 1 offered? Valve definitely put a good amount of time into this game. Graphics are just as good as the ones seen on youtube in HD and most, if not all,So, I haven't finished the game yet, but I've played a good 2 hours worth and I must say that this game has met all of my expectations so far. Did I mention I've played for 2 hours and still not done? Instead of the 30-60 minutes Portal 1 offered? Valve definitely put a good amount of time into this game. Graphics are just as good as the ones seen on youtube in HD and most, if not all, of the glitches have been taken out of the game. Overall, (so far), Awesome game, definitely worth your money. If your not convinced, go watch all those demo vids on youtube that Valve probably stopped deleting. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    Lawl. haters gonna hate I spose. well, lets set it straight.
    1) no DLC to speak of on PC. and apparently none on consoles either according to a fair number of people.
    2) bout 8-10 hours of gameplay if you're fast. saying "4 hours" means you're **** 3)heard nothing but good things from console users, unless you're implying it was ported from console to PC, then I don't even got to say ****
    Lawl. haters gonna hate I spose. well, lets set it straight.
    3)heard nothing but good things from console users, unless you're implying it was ported from console to PC, then I don't even got to say **** just LOL at ragefail (valve = PC ;) )
    love all the console rage from people on the PC area. way to learnz2read gaiz :D
    P.S. ALMOST FORGOT- Game is great, worth the money, you won't be disappointed. let the haters hate and have fun ^^
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game. Love the music and sound effects, the storyline, the voice acting, the environments.

All those people complaining about DLC: don't do it here, on the Portal 2 PC page, as the DLC on PC is free. There is a page for the PS3 version of the game, voice your complaints there. To the guy who said "Subjecting the fan base to a marketing scam to get the game a few hours earlier", I

To the guy who said "Subjecting the fan base to a marketing scam to get the game a few hours earlier", I fail to see how it was a scam. You weren't forced to participate, it was clear what participating would do, and you got some great indie games at a heavily discounted price out of it too.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    The best game Valve has ever made. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing, making every puzzle unique. The voice acting is probably the best I've ever seen in a video game. Valve has done it again.
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    All these low reviews must have not bought the DLC. I bought the DLC as soon as I heard about it, it makes the game so much better. I've been telling all my friends to buy the full DLC pack, and I encourage you to do the same. Great game. Thanks, Valve.
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    This game didn't really live up to the amount of hype created. It seems like a quick buck for valve to found episode 3. The gameplay has been improved from the original and the graphics+sound are superior even though it's on the source engine as well. I found the early puzzles to be amusing but hardly challenging, yet as the game progresses the difficulty is increased largely after theThis game didn't really live up to the amount of hype created. It seems like a quick buck for valve to found episode 3. The gameplay has been improved from the original and the graphics+sound are superior even though it's on the source engine as well. I found the early puzzles to be amusing but hardly challenging, yet as the game progresses the difficulty is increased largely after the 13th area. Overall it was a worthwhile game but did not live up to the massive amount of hype it created. Expand
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    i was wrong game is great, golden potato'ers got a just reward i cant complain at all

i love tf2 the portal 2 store is cool also viva portal 2. feelsbadman.jpeg
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    Don't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and IDon't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and I never had to think about it more than some minutes. And 6 hours of fun for that price is definitively not enough. Expand
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    I feel somewhat let down. I mean its not bad but it is not as good as the original. The humor was well written and the characters well played but it kind of lacked the forwardness the first one had, the only thing that kept me going was to find out the ending and to find the hidden experiment which was mentioned in an achievement. The propulsion repulsion and convulsion gels seemed a bitI feel somewhat let down. I mean its not bad but it is not as good as the original. The humor was well written and the characters well played but it kind of lacked the forwardness the first one had, the only thing that kept me going was to find out the ending and to find the hidden experiment which was mentioned in an achievement. The propulsion repulsion and convulsion gels seemed a bit too far in the sense of the game.
    Last of all was the co-op, i didn't play that ( and i might not at all) wasn't really needed and the Mann Co type store with it shows valve is just wanting to eat money.

I wouldn't really recommend this to a casual gamer, but only to someone who is a big valve or portal fan,
    and even then they might still be a bit disappointed.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 1 was brilliant. Short but sweet. Packed with interesting ways of using the portal gun.

Portal 2, by comparison, is grand but bland. When i say grand, I do mean comparitively. Most will have the single player campaign finished in 4-7 hours depending on how good you are at these games. The coop will add around 2-3 hours to that. While I didn't find that an issue paticularly, what i did find was the really bland gameplay, despite the features. All you end up doing through most of the game is looking for the next obscure spot that you can put up the portal. You don't have to think really when doing the puzzles, more just poke around a lot. That said, there were a couple of moments where you turn around and think, "That was awesome," but it's back to the mundane from there.

I could go on, but simply put, this game is gripping in the way that someone grabs you, pins you to a wall... and just holds you there for a few hours. Not worth the price tag unless our a dedicated portal fan.
  19. Apr 25, 2011
    I've beaten the game 8 times since release and gone through most of the levels in Co-op, I signed up to give this game a 10 rating. Everyone who is upset over COSMETIC ITEMS needs to chill out, I could understand the rage if the co-op mode cost an extra $15 to play, or if something like that was implemented. Giving low scores because of DLC items meant for aesthetic purposes only is theI've beaten the game 8 times since release and gone through most of the levels in Co-op, I signed up to give this game a 10 rating. Everyone who is upset over COSMETIC ITEMS needs to chill out, I could understand the rage if the co-op mode cost an extra $15 to play, or if something like that was implemented. Giving low scores because of DLC items meant for aesthetic purposes only is the dumbest, if not whiniest thing I have ever heard. The game was great, the writing was great, the puzzles were challenging even on my 2nd and 3rd time through the game. The dark humor amazed me to the point of laughing and the ending brought me almost to tears with joy as the Turrets started their singing to me. I loved every second of Portal 2, Pay NO attention to the negative reviews it's nothing more than butthurt manbabies whinging about cosmetic upgrades they cannot afford or trade for yet. THE ONLY THING YOU CHILDREN ARE UPSET ABOUT IS SKINS, HATS, AND FLAGS THAT DO NOTHING TO CHANGE THE GAMEPLAY OF CO-OP! 10/10 easily.
    I would give it a higher score if possible.
    A strong contender for "game of the year 2011 PC" for writing, gameplay, innovation, and everything else that makes a game GOTY.
  20. Dec 2, 2011
    Portal 2 is a game that allows you to solve puzzles by defying the laws of physics using your 'portal gun'. This gun allows you to create a portal on one side of the map and instantenously teleport you to the other end of the map. You can also send objects through the portal that are often necessary to solve the intricate puzzles. It is not necessary to play Portal 1 before playing PortalPortal 2 is a game that allows you to solve puzzles by defying the laws of physics using your 'portal gun'. This gun allows you to create a portal on one side of the map and instantenously teleport you to the other end of the map. You can also send objects through the portal that are often necessary to solve the intricate puzzles. It is not necessary to play Portal 1 before playing Portal 2 but it is highly recommended to better understand the storyline. Sounds, voice-acting, game-play and overall presentation are, as usual with Valve, top notch. The graphics come across as slightly dated but the large bleak walls and cartoonish models make the world of Portal what it is. To complete the package, Valve has added a very good co-operative campaign that works like clockwork. Some players might consider it 'more of the same' but when the same was a heck of a lot of fun, you won't mind more of that. Must-play for any FPS player. Expand
  21. Apr 22, 2011
    I'd like to give Portal 2 a 10, honestly I would, but as many have mentioned, it lacks a bit of the freshness of Portal. I was hoping for new mechanics, not just new ways to use existing mechanics. That being said, Portal 2 is an amazing game, filled with great puzzles, witty voice acting, and what is probably the best co-op play since SMB on the NES. The advent of Steam of the PS3 is aI'd like to give Portal 2 a 10, honestly I would, but as many have mentioned, it lacks a bit of the freshness of Portal. I was hoping for new mechanics, not just new ways to use existing mechanics. That being said, Portal 2 is an amazing game, filled with great puzzles, witty voice acting, and what is probably the best co-op play since SMB on the NES. The advent of Steam of the PS3 is a nice touch, and I'm personally excited to see where it goes from here. Expand
  22. Apr 21, 2011
    What i loved:
    The beginning
    The ending The voice acting and characters The humor The co-op feature The developer commentary feature The AVG What still needs some improvement: The puzzles were a little too easy and you don't really have that great feeling of accomplishment after solving a puzzle The texture resolution were a bit too low at times The game feels empty around the
    What i loved:
    The beginning
    The ending
    The voice acting and characters
    The humor
    The co-op feature
    The developer commentary feature
    The AVG

What still needs some improvement:
    The texture resolution were a bit too low at times
    The game feels empty around the middle
    Needs more ways to **** up besides falling down or getting shot by sentries (eg. more enemies)
    Would like to see more than 2 people co-op in the future, maybe many teams competing against each other
    Guest passes for Portal 2, i know a few people who would like to try out just at least the co-op before buying the full game, we are not all millionaires Gabe (lol)

But overall, great game you guys made, definitely a worthy successor to Portal 1, would love if you would improve on the co-op/multiplayer feature though, i need a new game i can play with bros on a Friday night, besides l4d and killing floor, and this would be perfect if more than two people could play together.
  23. Apr 25, 2011
    finished the single player the other day. loved it. had a great time. not as long as half life 1 or 2 but not horribly short considering i now have co-op to look forward to. even with just the single player this game was remarkable. story was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the voice acting. Steven Merchant was fun (watch "idiot abroad" btw, very funny). not every puzzle was a brain buster, but ifinished the single player the other day. loved it. had a great time. not as long as half life 1 or 2 but not horribly short considering i now have co-op to look forward to. even with just the single player this game was remarkable. story was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the voice acting. Steven Merchant was fun (watch "idiot abroad" btw, very funny). not every puzzle was a brain buster, but i did have to give up on a few and come back to them after a break before i finally figured them out. in the end this is a puzzle game for the masses, so if these arent hard enough for you wait a few months, the mods will be here soon. My biggest gripe is that i didn't realize until after i'd pre-ordered the game on steam, that the best value is the ps3 version. apparently if you buy for ps3, it installs steam, and then you have a cloud copy that can be played on ps3, pc or mac (you can save games across them-as well as play co-op with ppl on other platforms-not xbox though apparently). I don't know that i'll ever want to play on ps3, but i wouldn't have minded the option. maybe if i had someone over that wanted to play split screen. that kind of thing works better on a couch. but in the end i probably would've bought through steam anyway just to show valve in dollars that the pc gamers are still here.

I could care less about the hats. if people will pay for em, go head and sell em valve. just make sure you put the money into Ep3 or HL3 (whichever comes first, preferably sooner rather than later). now if LEVELS were available as DLC on day one, THAT would be something to complain about. And the haters are arguing themselves out of an argument. you cant hate the hats, and then complain that you have to pay for them. just don't buy them, you don't like them anyway! As for the graphical complaints, i agree its not the most impressive glossy finish ever, but it still looks great. I personally am still very much in love with the Source look. I don't know how much further they've technically pushed source past L4D2 but regardless the game world looks really good.

Bottom line, i really enjoyed the single player game, and i'm looking forward to enjoying the co-op starting tonight.

But i would like to say to those who are putting mountains of bad reviews out on recent pc games (or ports). I know you're frustrated (as am I) at the disrespect being paid to the pc gaming community by developers. but now it seems that the anger is blinding and no matter what a game looks like when it comes out, its getting inundated with mountains of "0" reviews for a game that even in the reviewers own description has redeeming qualities. If we are going to tell the developers that no matter what they do, we as a community will see their work as an appalling failure with absolutely no value, what is to keep them trying to satisfy us. All i ask is that we be honest with our criticism (and our praise). and hopefully we can continue to be a cohesive community that they continue to market to in a way that makes us happy. They already have less reason to continue to make great games for us because there's such a huge pool of console gamers that are easier to please. we shouldn't negate what little reason they have to work with us by failing to reward them for good work.

On that note, i wanted to give this game a 10, but since i know i have a chronic case of valve fanboi-itis i figured i should tone down my score to compensate for any possible misperception on my part. Plus i dont like to give 10's. In this I'm an optimist ever hoping for an even better game someday. And i wont give that game a 10 either (unless i see a mountain of unfair zeros that i want to counteract).
  24. Apr 21, 2011
    INTRODUCTION
    Portal 2 is a very good game which is in most ways better than its predecessor (Portal 1). Many people are complaining about the size of the game but i was playing from 9:00-4:00 (8 Hours) and i am just about near the end (i think).
    SINGLEPLAYER The Singleplayer portion of Valve's Portal 2 is reputable and is not as bad as some people think it is. The only bad thing is the
    INTRODUCTION
    SINGLEPLAYER
    The only bad thing is the propulsion, repulsion and convulsion gels are added in toooo late in the game and should have been added in earlier to make for longer gameplay. Other than that the story is very gratifying with good music and excellent voice acting from Cave Jhonson (J.K Simmons), Wheatley(Stephen Merchant) and GlaDos (Ellen Mclain). There are some good twists and turns and the art design and levels detail is admirable.
    The single player has about 8-9 chapters and is approximately 8 hours long.
    CO-OP
    I Played some of the coop yesterday online with someone i didnt know and it was fun. You quickly can get familiar with the controls of the ping tool and gesture tool.
    The character design is awesome with funny gestures like knocking the other players head off with your hand.
    The levels are a lot more complicated and have to be completed with a partner so it is actually coop unlike other games where you could just go it alone.
    There are some good features like the ping tool that lets you communicate without a mic e.g. go through that portal, place a portal there etc etc.
    The coop is excellent and is good with just anyone but brilliant with a friend.
    LOW SCORES
    Lots of people are giving portal 2 low ratings because they didnt understand and they were just bothered about all the money they spent on the stupid potato sack pack well you shouldnt have got it then it was gonna come out soon anyway NOOBS!!!!!
    There are also a lot of people complaining about DAY 1 DLC WTH There is no Day 1 dlc There is that robot enrichment thing which who cares you dont need to buy things to get stuff you can earn things in game. NOOBS!!!!
    And last of all Portal 2 may be a console port but who cares the graphics are admirable and the level design is amazing so who cares if it is a console port if it is nearly perfect NOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CONCLUSION
    Portal 2 is a hell of a game which is nearly perfect and could be one of the best puzzle games of all time.
    So to all you NOOBS who are complaining just dont buy the game if you hate it so much.!!!
  25. Apr 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is not the best game I've played in the last few years. And there are a number of small issues that I have with it. I'm not a huge fan of the ARG experience that led into it. However, a lot of the work went into this game really succeeded. Solid atmosphere. Great moments. Challenging at times. I have no regrets picking it up. Expand
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Witty writing, an environment that is both consistent with the original yet interesting and new. It's a sequel, so it won't be the same unexpected revelatory experience of the first game. Instead, it delivers exactly what a fan of the first game could expect, and in greater quantities, and in a more polished package. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    Loved it.
    They kept the humor and style of Portal but created a more plot centric game that doesn't fail to give you a great experience. It's a 6-7 hour game that is thoroughly enjoyable.
    The loading screens break the flow a little but that is my only complaint. Well worth $50 (especially in Australia)
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game. Just as the first was slick and well scripted, this has added layers to the game that you pass through with surprise and gratitude. Loading points are a little frequent to begin but make a great change over point between friends. The store feature is pointless, but with the sales figures they get I'm sure they won't repeat it. So 12 -2 =10
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    There is only one word to describe this game...AMAZING! Ignore all of the bad things people have been saying about this game. You shouldn't write a review about what comes with the game you should write the review based on the game play alone. With that being said this game is an absolute blast to play and all of the in game voice acting is hilarious!
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    C'est clairement le meilleur jeu sortis ces derniers temps. Les nouveaux mécanismes ont été utilisé avec beaucoup de subtilité (et parfois moins), ce qui permettra la création de niveaux extraordinaires avec le SDK. Le scénario a évité la facilité et lesC'est clairement le meilleur jeu sortis ces derniers temps. Les nouveaux mécanismes ont été utilisé avec beaucoup de subtilité (et parfois moins), ce qui permettra la création de niveaux extraordinaires avec le SDK. Le scénario a évité la facilité et les poncifs, pour porter un humour toujours aussi agréable. La version anglaise serait cependant à mon sens quelque peu meilleure que la version francophone, d'où mon 9.

Une grande réussite, à la hauteur du premier !
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    from the valve stable comes another epic game after years of waiting, the game is simply mind blowing if you like puzzle based games this game is highly recommended, although the source engine is starting to show its age the game environment is awesome, the humor , sound and music effect are amazingly enjoyable, the co op is good wish there was more game-play, in all a must play valve gamefrom the valve stable comes another epic game after years of waiting, the game is simply mind blowing if you like puzzle based games this game is highly recommended, although the source engine is starting to show its age the game environment is awesome, the humor , sound and music effect are amazingly enjoyable, the co op is good wish there was more game-play, in all a must play valve game the game runs smoothly with no issues Expand
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    Very familiar, and yet that's a very good thing. It was exactly what I expected: a fleshing out of the promise of the first game with more shine, more (excellent) dialog, more puzzles. While 10 hours isn't the longest I've ever spent completing a game; it was 10 of the best hours I've ever spent with a game...and that has to count for something. An excellent effort from Valve.
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    A fantastic game. The complaints about DLC is completely unwarranted given that the DLC is for goodies that in no way affect gameplay (unless you count your character having weird hats as crucial to complete puzzles). The graphics aren't the best out there but 1) it wasn't advertised to be a graphical beast 2) what they did with it was create a rich environment that you could go around andA fantastic game. The complaints about DLC is completely unwarranted given that the DLC is for goodies that in no way affect gameplay (unless you count your character having weird hats as crucial to complete puzzles). The graphics aren't the best out there but 1) it wasn't advertised to be a graphical beast 2) what they did with it was create a rich environment that you could go around and look at the various details. As many people have pointed out already, if you liked Portal, you'll really like Portal 2. If you haven't played portal, it's pretty cheap now so go play it. If you're all huffed up about the potato sack / ARG stuff you didn't have to do it. You didn't have to buy anything you didn't want to. Go find a site that reviews gaming companies and vent there. Expand
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game that is worth every penny! While it may not be perfect it is yet another great game by Valve.
    The story is great and the robots' personalities are more interesting the those of the humans in other games.
    Along with a really fun coop. This game is well worth the money. I do not understand how people can whine at Valve about the "DLC", it's not DLC since it does not

Along with a really fun coop. This game is well worth the money.

I do not understand how people can whine at Valve about the "DLC", it's not DLC since it does not actually affect the gameplay. It's merely a cosmetic item applied to your characters head, for fun. That's it and nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Valve said that Portal 2 is probably their best game. And it really shows.
  35. Apr 20, 2011
    I finished Portal 2 in about 5.5 hours, experienced Portal players will probably take lesser time. However, the entire single-player mode is quite awesome and the puzzles entertaining. The story line, voice acting, etc. are brilliant (needless to say) and they complement the well-balanced gameplay.
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    This seems to be one of those games where either you hate it for inexplicable reasons and can't understand why everybody is so enthusiastic or you're so bloody enthusiastic that it's quite *obviously* game of the year, if not the decade. Just take a look at Metacritic and compare it to comments on, say, Rock Paper Shotgun articles about Portal 2. Best advice, if you enjoyed Portal, thenThis seems to be one of those games where either you hate it for inexplicable reasons and can't understand why everybody is so enthusiastic or you're so bloody enthusiastic that it's quite *obviously* game of the year, if not the decade. Just take a look at Metacritic and compare it to comments on, say, Rock Paper Shotgun articles about Portal 2. Best advice, if you enjoyed Portal, then buy it and make your own opinion. In two weeks, we'll still be arguing over whether it's actually a good game or whether Valve is trying to gouge us with "Day 1 DLC" and we *still* won't be getting anywhere. Have fun trying to make a balanced opinion about the game in that atmosphere, whether in two weeks, a month, or three. If you never played Portal ... then buy Portal. It's cheap and it will give you an idea of what the game is about. You can then decide on that basis whether to buy Portal 2 or not. Either you're interested in a sequel after playing it or you aren't ... simple. I bought Portal 2 on the merits of Portal, not because of all the hype and tra la la. Personally, I believe it was worth the money, but that's just me.

Because of the above and because of the widespread griping about the game, I don't care to tell you what the game was like. Pay heed to my above advice or ignore the game and keep playing whatever you were playing. It doesn't matter. It's just a game.

Addendum: Please try to ignore reviews which start with "storyline was great, concept was good" then proceed to give the product a 0/10 because of, frankly, nonsensical reasons. I don't know what people were expecting. Portal 2 is the sequel to Portal. If people were unaware of this, then it isn't the fault of the game. It's the fault of unrealistic expectations, as is the case in many aspects of the gaming industry. 0/10 says nothing about a game. It doesn't even reflect the "storyline was great, concept was good" portion of a review which then names one or two other *negative* points which might or not be justified.
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    Yes, it is short, but it is oh so sweet. If you're expecting a single player experience that will take weeks to complete, then you will be disappointed and/or feel short changed. However personally, I think Portal 2 is a little piece of gaming perfection and worth every penny.

While other games can feel clunky or confusing, everything here feels so simple and effortless in its execution. Considering the potential complexity of the physics based puzzles, this is even more impressive. In terms of sheer quality, I can't think of a game than can hold a candle to Portal 2 (Possibly HL2), and like fine dining, you expect to pay more for quality than you would for quantity (i.e $10 all you can eat buffet).
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    I've played the majority of this game already and am planning on going back and exploring more. Was this game as good as Portal? Pretty much. Of course, its not as fresh since its a sequel, but the writing is excellent and quirky which was one of the best things from the original. Don't believe the haters. This game is tons of fun.
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    For the record, the "Day 1 DLC" functions in exactly the same fashion as the Mann Co. Store in TF2. You can still get all of the products through achievements or at random. Is it an attempt to cash in on people's laziness? Yes. Does it change the game at all for people willing to work for it? No. With that addressed, the single player is significantly better than the first portal, but I'mFor the record, the "Day 1 DLC" functions in exactly the same fashion as the Mann Co. Store in TF2. You can still get all of the products through achievements or at random. Is it an attempt to cash in on people's laziness? Yes. Does it change the game at all for people willing to work for it? No. With that addressed, the single player is significantly better than the first portal, but I'm disappointed they have not yet included "challenge" levels. Still, Valve managed to replicate the same sense of wonder that they did in the first. A must play. Expand
  40. Apr 20, 2011
    This Game is one of the best i played for years. Valve put good puzzles in it, so that everyone can solve some of them. For me it was at the end a bit to hard to get those puzzles solved.
  41. Apr 20, 2011
    This is the best game I have ever played. It replaces my original choice for shadow of the colossus. Full of clever levels, humor, and hidden messages, I had way to much fun. I never give games perfect scores, but this game deserves it fully, and it deserves GOTY for the next 10 years!
  42. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is simply gorgeous!!! It's full of innovations, it's very very long (I spent 7-8 for single player and 4-5 hours for co-op) and I don't know why there are so many bad reviews, it has a good graphic and an unique plot. For sure all these important details makes it the Game of the Year.
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    FIRSTLY THIS GAME IS AWESOME! I have played the first and the humor and atmosphere is just the perfect mix for some of the best game play ever. I would recommend you read more reviews and get a more non-subjective view as many people are unhappy about certain reasons and taking it out on the game which is a bit unfair. It deserves a 10 and will get one from me.

I know valve did

I know valve did disappoint with the ARG which I might add I participated a lot of time to, but I have to admit it was the only reason I purchased the p0tat0 sack games, of which I have absolutely have no regrets about. The games are worth the money and very fun and I would not have purchased otherwise which is why valve did it (also the money before you criticise me) and I am glad they did it! SO THANKS VALVE FOR THAT OPPORTUNITY! Some games need a bit of support and valve took the initiative in their marketing, albeit they should have explained at least a little with regards to the ARG.

Regarding the DLC, they are SKINS and SUCH are for the robots and not games extensions of any sort!!!!!!!!! So please leave them out of you STUPID reviews! BTW when did the game say MULTIPLAYER at any point? CO-OP game-play is what they said and what it is, this is not a CoD game people please.

Also the game does not take 4 hours to finish which some other silly people have wrote about, it takes over 6 hours+ first play though depending on your skill and intelligence but STEAM is not recording the time properly as mine says 91 minutes where as another program (Raptr) says I have played 7 hours worth ATM, more if you soak up the environment and generally enjoy the game and not just rush through everything like some people.

Also some people are just displeased they could not play the game early and also regarding the price which is area related as the UK price with 20% off was only 24.00 pounds so about $39ish, so do not blame valve for pricing when it is usually dealt with by retailers also valve has to hike prices on the on-line service otherwise it would suffer competition issues with governments!

This is an excellent game and deserves a bit more respect from the non-gamers and people who are just generally critical about anything and everything.
  44. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is totally awesome! It's been a loooong time (quoting GlaDOS) since I've played such a great game. It surely doesn't deserve the negative reviews that trollers are giving it. And the end, OMG - it's just perfect. I mean, everybody already knew it was gonna be like this, right? It's Valve. Expand
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    While lacking in absolute perfection, the game is delivered in a highly competent manner, with a compelling storyline, well written (and acted) dialogue, challenging puzzles, and great new features there is really little to complain about.

Reasonably extensive developer commentary, cunningly hidden easter eggs, and the presence of achievements all provide an excuse to replay the game and enjoy the story all over again.

If you value the length of a single player experience above all else, this game may not be for you, as I was able to finish it (although I have not yet managed to find every secret or complete every achievement) within a single day, yet I did not feel that it was too short, it had a story to tell and it did so in a pleasing way.
  46. Apr 20, 2011
    After playing the single player campaign I must say One of the funniest games i have ever played. The story is hilarious and the voice acting is some of the best work i have seen. The puzzles are difficult but ramp up nicely so that your not discouraged. Amazing visuals. A thrill and a joy to play. This is a must buy.
  47. Apr 20, 2011
    The narrative, art, music, and most of all gameplay are top tier stuff, as to be expected from Valve. The game is incredibly polished, the story is subtle, not shoved in your face, but there for you to decode to and piece together - a massive part of the fun of the game is reading signs on the walls, or listening to pre-recorded announcements by a certain Cave Johnson. the depth is insane,The narrative, art, music, and most of all gameplay are top tier stuff, as to be expected from Valve. The game is incredibly polished, the story is subtle, not shoved in your face, but there for you to decode to and piece together - a massive part of the fun of the game is reading signs on the walls, or listening to pre-recorded announcements by a certain Cave Johnson. the depth is insane, the art and level direction is masterful. The humour is spot-on, the puzzles aren't too easy but aren't impossibly hard, either. Portal 2 is to Portal 1 what Assassin's Creed 2 was to Assassin's Creed 2. Taking what was essentially an unpolished, short tech demo and game engine and creating a masterpiece out of it. At the end of Portal 2, despite the game not being the longest out there or the fact that it only has 3 characters including the mute protagonist, I felt as if I'd been on an epic journey, and the sense of relief at the end of the game was an incredible rush, something few games can offer.

Portal 2 is a game of brilliance and uniqueness you will not experience with anything else in the video game medium.
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    I've never written a review for a game but Portal 2 compels me to. This game is perfect. It is shorter than average. It reminds me how much fun games in this medium can be. It does not waste my time. Some people are upset by this.
  49. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply Valve's best game ever with brilliant humor and intelligent awesome gameplay. Thanks Valve for making me happy with this secound part of Portal. Even the Coop is awesome which I first had some doubts. Expand
  50. Apr 20, 2011
    Ignore the negative comments. The game is Portal 1 + A ton of new stuff and multilayer. Need I say more? Wait, I will. I've logged 16 hours in Portal 1 and beat it about 5 times during that time frame (I also did the challenge modes). However, I've logged almost as much time (13 hours) in Portal 2. During that I've beaten the single-player campaign and multi-player campaign once each. TheIgnore the negative comments. The game is Portal 1 + A ton of new stuff and multilayer. Need I say more? Wait, I will. I've logged 16 hours in Portal 1 and beat it about 5 times during that time frame (I also did the challenge modes). However, I've logged almost as much time (13 hours) in Portal 2. During that I've beaten the single-player campaign and multi-player campaign once each. The game as a whole is much longer than Portal 1. It's worth the $50 you pay for it. Expand
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    I want also to make this clear,Portal 2 is a great game, The music,the atmosphere ,the game play is superb,Valve Deserves it. I am also very annoyed with people who are giving low scores. This game is great and it will probably be the best game of the year.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    Worth $40 in my book (I pre-ordered and split a 2 pack on steam), not quite worth the full $50 unless you really feel like giving valve your money.

The game itself improves on the gameplay of portal and valve manages to cram a huge amount of back story into a series that previously had none. The game is quite a bit longer than portal and the co-op is a nice addition but being a

The game is quite a bit longer than portal and the co-op is a nice addition but being a "puzzle"game it doesn't have that much replay value. Being that this is a single player focused game, valve really should have bundled something with it to make it more worthwhile over the long run, maybe a competitive multiplayer mode of some sort.

Graphics wise, portal 2 isnt nearly as shiny as some other games on the market, but who cares,? The game is well polished, looks pretty good and will run at high framerates even on relatively dated hardware.

Oh and all the trolls who have been writing low reviews should shut up, the "DLC" is a bunch of OPTIONAL skins and emotes that are not required. If you require non essential skins and emotes to play portal 2, you need help, cause you compulsively spend money for no reason.
    DLC system is no different from TF2, actually IMO is better cause you cant buy weapons or anything that changes your stats!
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Without a doubt a 10/10 game. Portal 2 was a fantastic game with great gameplay, story, and voice acting. Furthermore, you don't have to be a twitchy finger FPS fan to love it.

First the gameplay:
    If you enjoyed the puzzles of Portal 1, than Portal 2 will be a seamless fit. The game offers much of the same puzzle mechanisms from the original, but also adds in plenty of new features as the game progresses. Different gels each with their own unique properties; light bridges which sometimes act as make-shift walls; a new box for redirecting lasers; and a tractor beam. With all these new features there were times I even forgot I had a portal gun.

The difficulty will vary from person to person. For me, the difficulty felt hard enough to offer many challenges. Some puzzles had me scratching my head for 10-15 minutes. However, it never felt too overwhelming. Those who played Portal 1 and other puzzle games will have an easier time moving through the game, while beginners may be in for a longer experience. In the sequal There was much less reliance on perfectly timing your portals with quick fingers, and more time devoted to thinking it out and executing it.

The Story:
    The story over all was excellent. Through out most of the game it played out in an engaging and timely fashion. The writing was top notch, and it didn't really feel dull. My only complaint about the game was the transition from the new facility to the older facility. It felt like it dragged on a little bit in the middle. However, the game picked up in the third and final part of the game so it's not a major problem.

Voice Acting:
    Voice acting for the 3 Non Playable Characters was excellent. They are what made the story as enjoyable as it was. Fans of Portal 1 will love GLADOS. Her passive aggressive comments to the main character and her "straight-man" role with Wheatly was spot on. Speaking of Wheatly, he is a bumbling and moronic AI who is absolutely hilarious throughout the entire game. He made me laugh through most of the game. He's voiced by a British comedian, but I can't remember his name. Finally Cave Johnson is voiced by JJ Jameson in the Spiderman movies. Both personalities are the same, so you get the picture.

If you're a fan of puzzle games and you enjoy witty dialogue, Portal 2 is a must buy.
  54. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome sequel. Great new added physics items. Nice coop play extends the game in a new direction. Valve has always put out great games and has done the right thing for us, the customers. Worst part of the game are these whiny entitlement generation pricks. Ignoring them here and in RL is the best answer.
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is pure, really well optimized, perfect length (doesn't get repetitive) and some nice new additions such as co-op which really add a nice new level to the game. The script is once again near perfect with almost every line from Glados or Wheatley having some humorous aspect to it, fingers crossed for Portal 3 - Nice job Valve
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    Been playing video games for many years and this has entered my top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5. If you didnt like portal 1 you will likely not like this, however that being said it is better in every possible way to portal 1. Much longer. Single player is a good length and on top of that there is another co op story which also quite good. Graphics are beautiful, environment isBeen playing video games for many years and this has entered my top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5. If you didnt like portal 1 you will likely not like this, however that being said it is better in every possible way to portal 1. Much longer. Single player is a good length and on top of that there is another co op story which also quite good. Graphics are beautiful, environment is incredable and the voice acting/writing is on par with the best I've played. PC gamers and truly gamers everywhere are very lucky to have a company like valve that clearly love their products and customers. THANK YOU VALVE

Also, PS3 cross platforming is so awesome.
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is glorious. Hilarious, incredibly well written, and full of moments that made my jaw genuinely drop with delight. I'm excited for future games in the series, but mainly can't wait to replay this one. Again and again, probably. Well done.
  58. Apr 20, 2011
    I can only laugh at the negative reviews this fantastic game has apparently been gathering (no doubt from the same crowd as the l4d2 boycott). I suppose if you put the game on mute without subtitles, ignored the developer commentary and other extra features, dismissed the coop because you have no friends, and only played the first hour of the game, you would have a legitimate reason to beI can only laugh at the negative reviews this fantastic game has apparently been gathering (no doubt from the same crowd as the l4d2 boycott). I suppose if you put the game on mute without subtitles, ignored the developer commentary and other extra features, dismissed the coop because you have no friends, and only played the first hour of the game, you would have a legitimate reason to be dissatisfied with Portal 2. Expand
  59. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is just AMAZING! I finished all the singleplayer and now I'm ready to play the co-op. It's obviously that Valve put a lot of time in developing this game and the game is worth every euro. Great job Valve! I'm never disappointed by any of your games :)
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    Here you have it. This game has a great chance of becoming the game of the year. The length of it isn't very impressive, but you know what I tend to say? Quality comes before quantity. And boy, if you knew the quality of this game.

First of all, the single-player can be finished in between five and ten hours, depending on how fast you go, if you stay to listen at the hilarious dialogue the game has, and how much of a genius you are. It doesn't have too much of replayability, but it's likely that you play it twice. I'm at my second playthrough as of now, and I'm still enjoying it.
    The second part of the game is my favourite one. The co-op. I have always said that co-op makes any game better, and that still stands. But what valve gave me exceeded my highest expectations. I couldn't go anywhere without my friend, I couldn't achieve anything at all. I needed him as much as he needed me. A lot, that is. I loved it.

With very loveable characters, a wonderful story and very original ideas, Valve once again shows us what they have to offer. And they only offer the best.
    So disregard the haters, and go buy the game. Because, you know what? Everything is fine here, Everything is more than fine.
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is in every single way the best thing Valve has done in the last decade. It brings a fresh breath to the games we have today where a FPS will mean realistic reenactment of some war in some country that happened some time ago. Do not let the review scores of 1's and 0's from other users fool you. This game has puzzles that will wrack your brain till no end. What caught my eye:Portal 2 is in every single way the best thing Valve has done in the last decade. It brings a fresh breath to the games we have today where a FPS will mean realistic reenactment of some war in some country that happened some time ago. Do not let the review scores of 1's and 0's from other users fool you. This game has puzzles that will wrack your brain till no end. What caught my eye: Everything and anything. This game had everything I had hoped for. If I was not bashing my head on the table trying to solve these puzzles, I was laughing at the commentary that the AI's provide throughout the whole game. I think the reason why these games felt as short as it did was because I couldn't put this game down UNTIL I was at the end, no matter how late or brain dead you might be. This gameplay was smooth (quite predictable given valve's fps engine), the character development was phenomenal (trust me, if you're actually paying attention to the game you WILL laugh), and the story was without a doubt amazing. Multiplayer mode isn't simply throwing two players together and giving them puzzles. Each problem required cooperation and timing from both you and your co-op partner. The game even gives you the ability to go through the whole thing without having to speak a word (though there are chat/voice options).

What I felt a little meh about:
    Nothing! I felt quite satisfied when I completed this game (at 3am with a dead brain) and rarely does this happen.

Conclusion:
    Its difficult to sum up how good this game is compared to what we have today. I cannot think of one word to sum it up simply because there are too many to describe this game. Comedic yet having some form of seriousness. Addicting? Probably. This game will probably make the game of the year. >>>TL;DR: PLAY IT GOD DAMMIT
  62. Apr 20, 2011
    Short and sweet, to be sure - but very, very sweet, to be absolutely sure. Improved literally every aspect of the original Portal, which says a lot in itself; greater humor, level design, story, and just general awesomeness. I'm aware there are a few extremely inconsequential things people are blowing way out of proportion (and you'd truly be hard-pressed to find another company moreShort and sweet, to be sure - but very, very sweet, to be absolutely sure. Improved literally every aspect of the original Portal, which says a lot in itself; greater humor, level design, story, and just general awesomeness. I'm aware there are a few extremely inconsequential things people are blowing way out of proportion (and you'd truly be hard-pressed to find another company more unworthy of such infantile attacks), but I didn't even notice these things because I was too busy enjoying such an utterly fantastic game. Expand
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game, extremely innovative and fun. I'm surprised by how LONG the game is, considering that Portal was very short. I've clocked some 12 hours and have yet to finish the game (almost done with single player, about halfway done with co-op). Puzzles can be very challenging, but it's a great feeling when you finally solve them. I can't recommend it enough!
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant enhancement over the first Portal game in every way, including story. Attention to detail is staggering, perhaps best of anything Valve has ever done now. They just know how to do games right. You can take or LEAVE the "micro-transaction" stuff, just so you know. Anyway, in the end, haters beware! lol
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    Buen juego pero algo corto, aunque el modo co-op aumenta la vida de Portal 2. También está bien la tienda esa, aunque no lo veo del todo bien. Tampoco se cruza demasiado con el mundo de Half-Life, aunque no le hace falta. Excelente juego.
  66. Apr 20, 2011
    Immersive story, extremely funny cast of characters, atmospheric music + stunning visuals even on the source engine and still as unique gameplay as ever. The most fun I have had with gaming in a long time.
  67. Apr 21, 2011
    There are idiots out that that rate the game low scores. Why? Because of some OPTIONAL DLC? And the potato sack thing? OPTIONAL! O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L-! Besides, does the OPTIONAL DLC ruin the game if you don't buy it? Does it make the game crash if you don't buy it? The campaign is short? 6 to 8 hours, plus 2 -4 hours co-op is too short? Accept it. This game is very good, and is playable. TheThere are idiots out that that rate the game low scores. Why? Because of some OPTIONAL DLC? And the potato sack thing? OPTIONAL! O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L-! Besides, does the OPTIONAL DLC ruin the game if you don't buy it? Does it make the game crash if you don't buy it? The campaign is short? 6 to 8 hours, plus 2 -4 hours co-op is too short? Accept it. This game is very good, and is playable. The controls work fine, the graphics are good, the humor is nice, what more could you want? I made this account to vent my frustration at the idiots out there. Expand
  68. Apr 22, 2011
    This review is mostly to counteract the hundreds of idiotic negative reviews of this game, but in addition to that, unlike most of those negative reviews, I have actually played through and finished the game. It seems as if most people whine and complain about money. They must have gotten spoiled from the price of Portal or something. Here's the thing: Portal 2 is still a fantasticThis review is mostly to counteract the hundreds of idiotic negative reviews of this game, but in addition to that, unlike most of those negative reviews, I have actually played through and finished the game. It seems as if most people whine and complain about money. They must have gotten spoiled from the price of Portal or something. Here's the thing: Portal 2 is still a fantastic game for the price. It amazes me just how many people will pay $50 for a garbage RPG that takes 40 hours to play through, but then will balk at paying $50 for an exceptional puzzle game that takes 12 hours to play through.

And then there's the whole "DLC" argument. Completely ridiculous. The "DLC" doesn't feature any new content in the game. Period. It's hats and gestures. That's it. Are you really going to throw a temper tantrum because Valve didn't give you a hat for your co-op robot for free? Grow up.

The level design is breathtaking, and the puzzles are brilliant. The dialogue is the best I've heard in a video game, ever. The graphics are fantastic, and do not, in any way, appear like a console port (which this is most definitely not). Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons both deliver fantastic and memorable performances.

If I had to take a few tenths of a point off, I would dock the game for 2 things:

1) Frequency of loading times. I realize they were around in the original Portal, but they weren't as noticable. Unfortunately, they are back for this game, which is disappointing. Not the end of the world though.

2) Emphasis on co-op mode. I realize that co-op mode is great for those who have people to play with, or who don't mind getting randomly paired up online, but that's not the case for everybody. It's slightly frustrating to know that half of the game is dedicated to this mode. Not a big deal, though.
  69. Apr 22, 2011
    There is a huge dearth between Valve the marketer and Valve the Game Developer, with one of the worst promotional schemes ever devised (ARG releasing one day early fiasco/scam) for easily the best single player experience that has ever graced the face of the earth (The game starts off good/average and rises until one of the best endings ever).

If you can ignore one the worst/most

If you can ignore one the worst/most ill-conceived marketing campaigns that has ever existed, this series will be written in the history books of game designers as the video game equivalent to the Godfather or Citizen Kane.
  70. Apr 24, 2011
    First of all this game is true to its predecessor. it took all the elements of portal and made them better, it even incorperated som new very clever features. all this with a compelling story, epic scenery great graphics, and all the good stuff that you would expect from a AAA title like portal, and not only that but when its from valve, so you know it will be great.

the new multiplayer

the new multiplayer features that are included will make for hours of playing fun with friends, high class puzzle solving is just the thing to make the time go by, they deserve a full score for the work they put into this title. truly a game worth buying if you enjoyed the first one, and maybye even if you did not..
  71. Apr 22, 2011
    While I am a hard-core portal fan, I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Also, I believe I managed to leave out any potential spoilers. I started playing Portal 2 with extremely high expectations, and these expectations were exceeded. Valve really revived the meaning of a "sequel." Portal 2 is not just Portal with a fresh coat of paint; it is an immersingWhile I am a hard-core portal fan, I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Also, I believe I managed to leave out any potential spoilers. I started playing Portal 2 with extremely high expectations, and these expectations were exceeded. Valve really revived the meaning of a "sequel." Portal 2 is not just Portal with a fresh coat of paint; it is an immersing experience with a spot-on storyline that ties remarkably well into the original. I also have yet to experience any kind of bug of glitch, which is rare these days for games on launch days (*cough* Treyarch). GLaDOS' dialogue is better than ever - she retains her witty satire, while at the same time introduces an underlying cold tone to her speech. One thing I disliked about the first game was the monotonous sequence of one test chamber after another. Portal 2 is full of surprises and allows the gamer to become much more involved and wonder what will happen next. The introduction of new testing elements (e.g. repulsion/speed gel) adds a new dimension to progressing through some of the chambers. However, I did only get "stuck" in the campaign a few times, and after a little bit of thinking I always managed to figure out what to do. While this may be due to my decent past portal experience, or my aptitude for puzzle solving, it is of my opinion that the game may have been designed to be too catered to inexperienced players. Often it was too obvious how to solve the puzzles, and while the actual solutions may have yielded a feeling of success or intelligence, it was clear that figuring out the solution was not that complicated. For example, on many occasions I found out the correct portal placements just because there was no other place to put a portal. Also, while I really enjoyed the ending of the game, I was disappointed with the final encounter. It was too simple and in my opinion did not take advantage of the new elements of the game effectively. Addressing the length of the game briefly, I completed the game in roughly 7 hours. Keep in mind that this was a casual pace. While claims of beating the game in 4-6 hours may be true, I can assure you that if you progress at a leisurely pace and enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played, you will get a solid 7-9 hours out of the campaign. Despite my complaints, I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign of Portal 2. The co-op mode is a particularly interesting component, especially because I predict that more will be coming for it through DLC. Valve setup the co-op very well, including aiding tools such as countdown timers and portal markers, as well as including many hilarious comments from GLaDOS. There appears to be a greater range of difficulty here as well, and while I have not yet completed all of the co-op levels, things are beginning to get tricky. Still, my co-op partner and I feel that the chambers have been a bit on the easy side. We have only played co-op for about 2 hours (max) and yet only have one more chapter to go. However, it has been loads of fun and a great teamwork experience. Also, I have yet to play with a random person in co-op, but I imagine that this would be an interesting experience on its own; I don't know what it would be like to play with someone who is incompetent! But who knows, this could just make it more interesting and force the more experienced player into a leading role. I imagine (and am desperately hoping!) that DLC with arrive in the future. It seems like too much of an opportunity for Valve to pass up. I also predict map editing tools to allow for custom map building. For now though, we can only wait and see.

So those are just my thoughts on the game. I really struggled giving this game less than a 10, but unfortunately I just felt that the advanced Portal'ers were slightly shunned. Nevertheless, the game is well worth the $45 I spent on it, and have no regrets at all.
  72. Apr 22, 2011
    A simply amazing and immersive game with a unique humour and style, as well as a brilliant storyline, Portal 2 is a must-buy. I was blown away by how much it had improved in every important way over the original Portal, which itself was immensely popular. So, to everyone complaining about the DLC, why? Portal 2 is one of the few games with DLC where I'm NOT annoyed. Why? Because they don'tA simply amazing and immersive game with a unique humour and style, as well as a brilliant storyline, Portal 2 is a must-buy. I was blown away by how much it had improved in every important way over the original Portal, which itself was immensely popular. So, to everyone complaining about the DLC, why? Portal 2 is one of the few games with DLC where I'm NOT annoyed. Why? Because they don't withhold from you anything that actually matters. No missing gameplay, no new plot, no unbalanced extras forcing you to pay £3 to have a chance of actually winning. No, what does Portal 2 offer? Aesthetic extras for multiplayer. Completely optional, as they leave you at no practical disadvantage if you don't buy them. So you don't want to pay for a top hat? Just go without. It's not like you'll see it much in first person anyway, and you won't sacrifice any actual gameplay or anything else that actually matters by not buying. Want to show how much you hate DLC? Pick a game that forces you to pay for actual content, not for purely aesthetic extras. For a better summary of why you shouldn't care about Portal 2's DLC, read this: http://bit.ly/fNqedb if that's TL:DR, then just read the last half of the second page, that's the important bit. Please? Expand
  73. Apr 22, 2011
    An extremely enjoyable FPP with an amazing design abd aesthetic, I love the fact that the co op is cross-platform so I can play with the console peasants =p

the single and multi-player are extremely good with a solid difficulty curve and difficult puzzles that challenge conventional thinking. The dialogue is witty with lots of easter eggs and conspiracy theories to be had. and I honestly laughed in a fit when hearing some of what Cave Johnson had to say

and on a final note is the store... I don't see what the rage is about? it's only cosmetic and isn't even advertised in game, not sure why it's being flamed, I even like the skins and payed about $3 for one
  74. Apr 22, 2011
    An amazing game and you would miss out on an amazing experience that surpasses the first and is now my favorite game and perhaps the best game ever made. Beautiful levels, complicated puzzle that once you figure out you will face palm yourself on how simple it was in the end. A truly amazing experience if you haven't picked it up yet go to gamestop or download it on steam as soon as youAn amazing game and you would miss out on an amazing experience that surpasses the first and is now my favorite game and perhaps the best game ever made. Beautiful levels, complicated puzzle that once you figure out you will face palm yourself on how simple it was in the end. A truly amazing experience if you haven't picked it up yet go to gamestop or download it on steam as soon as you can. You will regret it if you miss the game of the year and one of the best games ever made. Expand
  75. Apr 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view.
  76. Apr 22, 2011
    This is the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Thanks, Valve - you knocked this game out of the park and I treasured every minute of it. Okay - later... I'm off to go play the multiplayer part of the game again.
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is so far the best game of the year. the first portal may be one of my most loved games ever made but i think it will have to make room for this gem of a game. I've been hyped up for this game for a while and it delivers in every aspect of the game. Aperture science has fallen into disrepair ever since GLaDOS was "shut down" by the chell the main protagonist from the first portalPortal 2 is so far the best game of the year. the first portal may be one of my most loved games ever made but i think it will have to make room for this gem of a game. I've been hyped up for this game for a while and it delivers in every aspect of the game. Aperture science has fallen into disrepair ever since GLaDOS was "shut down" by the chell the main protagonist from the first portal game. Chell is back and after being dragged back into stasis she has been woken up by wheatly and there both trying to make a brake for it. I really enjoyed the story it really passed itself and gave us a cool in site into aperture science. As for the game play your once again solving an increasing number of puzzles which will prod and poke your mind until that enviable "AH HA" which makes you feel good. There have been some new mechanics added to spice things up like gels, light bridges and excursion funnels. The puzzle design doesn't seem cheap or makes you feel like its too hard it just has the right amount of difficulty at the right time. Also an addition is to take the game online and take part in the co-op story mode where its an all new story with all new things to master. over all I really enjoyed this game and I think this should go down as one of the most enjoyable games to play. Expand
  78. Apr 22, 2011
    Might have been a better then the first Portal. I loved it so much. Best games I have played to date. If you are going to play anything this year, make sure you play Portal 2. If your buy it on Steam you will get Portal one for free so you can catch up on the story.
  79. Apr 22, 2011
    Compelling story from start finish that keeps you guessing. The dialog and characters are hilarious. This game could have had terrible gameplay and still be fun just based on the humor, but it takes the portal metaphor to new levels with all sorts of new contraptions, even if some which were previewed in early trailers were removed.
  80. Apr 23, 2011
    A beautifully scripted narrative with top-notch performance from voice actors Ellen McLain and Stephen Merchant, Portal 2 immerses and challenges you as one of the best games from Valve to date.
    With excellent humor and good pacing, this is one of the smartest games released in a sea of unintelligent FPS rehashes.
  81. Apr 23, 2011
    That tagline is ripped straight from a Rock Band set-list - I never played the critically acclaimed 'Portal'. This was my first adventure with the magical portal gun, my first foray into Aperture science. This is my review of the highly anticipated sequel, Portal 2.

Gameplay At it's heart, Portal is a first-person shooter-puzzle hybrid, and the bizarre pairing works perfectly. The game

Gameplay
    At it's heart, Portal is a first-person shooter-puzzle hybrid, and the bizarre pairing works perfectly. The game alternates between two phases. In the first phase, you move from room to room, solving clever puzzles of increasing difficulty with your portal gun while being submitted to GlaDOS' highly sarcastic and hilarious insults. And just when the linear puzzling starts to get old, the game shifts gears into phase 2. During this phase, you break out of the sterile white testing rooms and journey into the darker, rusty innards of the Aperture Science Facility in your bid to escape a lifetime sentence of testing. The puzzles during this phase are more free-form and less rigidly constructed than those in phase 1, making for a welcome change of pace. Over the course of the game (just short of 10 hours for me) the game alternates back and forth between these stages while introducing new mechanics to freshen up the journey - including light bridges, anti-gravity beams, and 3 types of gels with various effects.

Complimenting the clever puzzles is equally as clever writing. The dialogue ranges from delightful to laugh-out-loud funny, helped along by phenomenal voice acting. Between the puzzle action and the witty dialogue, the only dull moments involve you smacking your head against the desk trying to figure out an especially bedeviling puzzle.

Graphics
    Built on Valve's Source Engine, the graphics look good, and fit the tone of the various levels quite well - clean, crisp, and sterile whites and greys when you're testing and GlaDOS is in control; dark, dingy, chaotic when you're trying to escape. The environments are spacious and detailed, giving the player a real sense of the impressive scale of the facility while running around. While not breathtaking in many instances, they're good enough to nicely compliment the story and gameplay.

Sound
    A beautiful ambient soundtrack is found throughout, with equally as pleasing sound effects. The sounds - whether it's the clang of boots on metal, the rubbery 'boing' from stepping on the bouncing gel, the clicks and hisses of pressure building up, the echo of a voice coming over the loudspeaker in a voluminous environment - give Portal 2 the level of polish that has come to be expected from Valve.

Overall
    The combination of these elements made for a game I could barely put down. Wonderfully paced, hilariously written, deliciously challenging, wholly satisfying, and totally different than anything else on the market, Portal 2 is one of the best games I've played in years.

9.5/10
  82. Apr 23, 2011
    One of the greatest games ever made. This game is extremely entertaining with superb gameplay, writing, voice acting, and fun factor. Co-op and single player campaigns are both very satisfying.
  83. Apr 24, 2011
    It's amazing to see how far the Portal series has come in just two games. Once just a puzzle game with that devious GLaDOS providing some of the only story and background to Aperture Science, Portal 2 takes a leap and bounds right on into a full blown game full of new and creative puzzles, even better written dialogue (hard to imagine), a plethora of additions to the lovable cast without aIt's amazing to see how far the Portal series has come in just two games. Once just a puzzle game with that devious GLaDOS providing some of the only story and background to Aperture Science, Portal 2 takes a leap and bounds right on into a full blown game full of new and creative puzzles, even better written dialogue (hard to imagine), a plethora of additions to the lovable cast without a single forced entry, and an ever deepening backdrop to Aperture Science that at times almost seems overwhelming, yet it never manages to overtake you.

Its humor is stronger, the presence of a true story is wonderful, and not a single thing seems out of place.

Portal 2 is the definition of what a game should be, without ever once scolding you for loving it.
  84. Apr 24, 2011
    This is a great game. i have always love Valve games and this keeps it going. And just like most of valves games it keeps you laughing the whole way to the end. Not a big fan of the whole "Buy stuff for your Robot" option. afraid there gonna try turn into Microsoft, but as far as the game goes its a ten. keep it up.... Just wish we would hear more about Half-Life 3 / HL2 EP3
  85. Apr 24, 2011
    Well, because i'm not a massive **** I will be rating this game honestly and I gotta say, it's brilliant. The story progressed beautifully on from Portal 1 (especially with the Lab Rat comic) and it actually made me sad at the end. The gameplay is magnificent and the only downside to it was midway there was a lack of voice acting and it seemed a tad boring and sometimes the only reason youWell, because i'm not a massive **** I will be rating this game honestly and I gotta say, it's brilliant. The story progressed beautifully on from Portal 1 (especially with the Lab Rat comic) and it actually made me sad at the end. The gameplay is magnificent and the only downside to it was midway there was a lack of voice acting and it seemed a tad boring and sometimes the only reason you were stalled was because of poor level design (though i'm unsure whether it was honestly poor level design or just a hard puzzle to figure out). Easily the best game I have played in a long time and it's a shame to see so many retards review bombing it with blatant lies about how long the game took etc.
    I'd also like to point out that most, if not all, of the store items are unlockable through achievements and they're only cosmetic anyway so no need to **** about them.
  86. Apr 25, 2011
    What is with all the haters? 4 hour playthroughs? with breaks? total BS. You can probably run through it in 5 hours if you know exactly what to do in each chamber before you get there, trust me I've played it 3 times (1 ps3, 1 ps3 dev comm, 1 pc) now and each time I find new secrets and hidden rooms. And then there's coop which I've completed twice (1 ps3, 1 PC) (3 hours if you know itWhat is with all the haters? 4 hour playthroughs? with breaks? total BS. You can probably run through it in 5 hours if you know exactly what to do in each chamber before you get there, trust me I've played it 3 times (1 ps3, 1 ps3 dev comm, 1 pc) now and each time I find new secrets and hidden rooms. And then there's coop which I've completed twice (1 ps3, 1 PC) (3 hours if you know it all). coop is amazingly fun especially when you are split screen (weird I know) but this type of multiplayer lends itself to split screen, communication is easier. i love being able to go from watching netflix to playing with my steam friends without having to get up and turn on my computer and sit at a desk. Of course if graphics are a problem for you then gtfo, i don't care how bad a game looks, which isn't at all the case here (people get confused with art styles, esp when the pallet consists of colors other than browns and grays), is it fun to play? yes, ok then shut up and play it. as for DLC the day 1 stuff is just to pimp out your bots, valve will most likely release new test chambers/courses and if their motto on "True" DLC stands there will be a sticker price of $0. I loved the continuation of the story, and the bungling moronic sphere that is wheatley. The one thing this game needs is a custom chamber creator and a way to share these creations. Oh and while not as amazing as "Still Alive" the new song is so cool. Valve cant wait for your next game, don't forget the map editor in portal 3 ;) Expand
  87. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of those games you can't miss, it's innovative, creative, funny; every aspect of the game is in the right place, including the story, the gameplay, the pace, the level design, everything is just top quality, characters can make you laugh out loud all day long just of thinking about their dialogs in-game. Valve is showing us again why we gamers considered them as one of thePortal 2 is one of those games you can't miss, it's innovative, creative, funny; every aspect of the game is in the right place, including the story, the gameplay, the pace, the level design, everything is just top quality, characters can make you laugh out loud all day long just of thinking about their dialogs in-game. Valve is showing us again why we gamers considered them as one of the best companies of the industry of pc games, this game is genius, it's fun and worth playing. And please, don't believe those comments that some people are writing here saying that this game is not good, I can tell you for sure they are not playing the same game we are reviewing in this page. ;) Expand
  88. Apr 25, 2011
    Outstanding game. The waiting was worth it. Its puzzles are pretty challenging and won't let you down whatsoever. The story is fantastic, and one of the best parts of the game is probably the Co-Op. If you have a friend, even if you don't know it too well, pick a microphone and some headphones, plug them in and have fun.
  89. Apr 25, 2011
    The writing is brilliant; the level design is fantastic; the art is top quality; and the sound/music is BY FAR the best I've ever experienced in a video game. It's truly an amazing experience.

I love the new emphasis on cognitive puzzles instead of agility puzzles. You get the reward of solving the puzzle without the constant frustration of simple mechanical failure. The game play for

The game play for me in single player was about 10 hours, but given the plot, that is perfect. You can beat the game in 5-6 hours if you don't really immerse yourself in the experience and instead just try to solve the puzzles as quickly as possible, but do yourself a favor and don't rush through it.

The co-op is great too (the puzzles are more difficult in the later chambers), but the SP is definitely the main dish.

It's a masterpiece. Enjoy it.
  90. Apr 25, 2011
    If you enjoyed the first Portal game, there is no way you cannot love this one. If you never played the first Portal game, welcome to a virtual roller coaster ride. To start with the bad: it has a few weird console things like pre-rendered cutscenes, which are not as good as the way Valve normally does things, and looks like crap when running at resolutions over 720p. That and taking meIf you enjoyed the first Portal game, there is no way you cannot love this one. If you never played the first Portal game, welcome to a virtual roller coaster ride. To start with the bad: it has a few weird console things like pre-rendered cutscenes, which are not as good as the way Valve normally does things, and looks like crap when running at resolutions over 720p. That and taking me 3.7 hours to finish single player on my first run-through (granted, I've played the first game so many times, I really never got stuck on a puzzle).

Looking past those few issues, the single player story: incredible. Most games you have maybe a 10-20 hour storyline, but only about 20-30% is pure fun. In Portal 2, the entire playtime is fun. Taking a look at Co-op play, it is flawlessly executed, and while none of the puzzles were overly challenging, they definitely were not easy. They were balanced basically perfectly for new players and old players alike.

Very highly recommended game. Not sure why people keep voting it so low (honestly people, it was a marketing campaign that let you into the game several hours earlier than previously mentioned, how is that a bad thing? Also, the DLC doesn't modify your game experience, it's purely cosmetic, so why are you complaining?) I wish I could give the game a 9.5 as a user, as it is almost perfect, but has enough flaws to be kept away from a perfect 10 experience.
  91. Apr 27, 2011
    Perfection has a name and it's Portal 2. Apart from brilliant gameplay mechanics, they perfectly mix with a hilarious story and voice acting. I think words cannot be fair with such good game. PLAY IT!
  92. Apr 27, 2011
    Excellently crafted, beautifully scripted and flawlessly executed. Rarely can a game profess to have the narrative quality and pacing more frequently attributed to the worlds of film or literature; Portal 2 is more than a simple conglomeration of gameplay and graphical fidelity (although it is far from lacking in either field), it is a multi-layered experience intent on generating anExcellently crafted, beautifully scripted and flawlessly executed. Rarely can a game profess to have the narrative quality and pacing more frequently attributed to the worlds of film or literature; Portal 2 is more than a simple conglomeration of gameplay and graphical fidelity (although it is far from lacking in either field), it is a multi-layered experience intent on generating an emotional response from the end-user, however that may manifest itself.

Portal 2 is to date the finest and most completely successful example of gaming as an artform.
  93. Aug 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really liked this game. The controls are spot-on, Wheatley is hilarious, and GLaDOS is back and eviler than ever (in the first quarter of the game). Portal starts you off by awakening from cryogenic sleep and meeting Wheatley, an Intelligence Dampening Sphere (as referred to by GLaDOS) that is voiced by Stephen Merchant, who is remarkably funny. As Wheatley takes over Aperture Science, the puzzles tend to get more challenging. The end is spectacular, and left me satisfied. The co-op campaign is also remarkable, straying from the storytelling of the single-player campaign and going for a more entertaining approach. The only thing Portal is missing is the magic and awe of the first game. In the end, Portal 2 is an amazing game and leaves a lasting impression. Expand
  94. Sep 10, 2011
    A great game that was funny and well made, the only 2 flaws are there are no extra hard challenges and after you compete the single player an multi player, there is no reason for you to keep playing.
  95. Dec 15, 2012
    A masterpiece. One of the best games I've ever played in my life. It manages to be both dark and atmospheric while maintaining a great dry humor. The gameplay itself is fantastic and very original - it's one of those games that makes YOU feel clever for solving the puzzles.
  96. Apr 7, 2012
    Games that completely stimulates your mind are a rarity these days. When Portal came out, it was unlike anything I played. Portal 2 completely realises what Portal have achieved and expanded it into a full scale, mind boggling experience. Portal 2 is a one of a kind game. The simple controls, ingenious game mechanics, humorous storyline and overall mental satisfaction makes this game oneGames that completely stimulates your mind are a rarity these days. When Portal came out, it was unlike anything I played. Portal 2 completely realises what Portal have achieved and expanded it into a full scale, mind boggling experience. Portal 2 is a one of a kind game. The simple controls, ingenious game mechanics, humorous storyline and overall mental satisfaction makes this game one of my favourites. Expand
  97. Sep 6, 2011
    While improving on the length of the original game was not that difficult it also managed fairly well on producing more imaginative puzzles although this was expected. It is simply a game that did what i expected, it added more humour, became longer, had new and better puzzles, improved on the dialogue and graphics and was once again very fun as the original was but unlike the original itWhile improving on the length of the original game was not that difficult it also managed fairly well on producing more imaginative puzzles although this was expected. It is simply a game that did what i expected, it added more humour, became longer, had new and better puzzles, improved on the dialogue and graphics and was once again very fun as the original was but unlike the original it did nothing revolutionary. 8.5/10. Expand
  98. Jun 3, 2011
    I would rather score Portal 2 a 9.5 instead of just a straight 9, but whatever. This. Game. Is. Really. Good. Period. The plot is fantastic, the characters are well done, with the exception of the dude you encounter in the second section of the game. His jokes are kind of bland, and he is not characterized very well. But GLaDOS and Wheatley totally make up for it.
    The puzzles are good,
    The puzzles are good, but frustrating in a peculiar way. You'll struggle on one puzzle for a long time, then come to the sudden realization that the solution is really quite simple and you feel like an idiot for not seeing it. The Co-Op puzzles are much more challenging, thus more satisfying.
    It looks great, plays great, and the narrative is fantastic, especially the ending. The end song isn't nearly as good as "Still Alive" but it's still pretty damn good.
    All in all, you want this game. Do it for me. Or, if not for me, do it for the science.
  99. Dec 10, 2011
    Portal 2 is the all-time best puzzle game ever! It didn't take me long to finish it because I couldn't stop playing it. It is very addicting and one of the most hilarious games I can think of. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it, except it didn't really set itself up for a sequel, which would have been nice. It was a little slow, but that was only because I have WindowsPortal 2 is the all-time best puzzle game ever! It didn't take me long to finish it because I couldn't stop playing it. It is very addicting and one of the most hilarious games I can think of. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it, except it didn't really set itself up for a sequel, which would have been nice. It was a little slow, but that was only because I have Windows Vista, so that wasn't the game's fault. It had a good length, story, and had a great ending. Portal 2 is very quotable and memorable, although not very replayable. I wasn't a big fan of the online multiplayer mode, but I didn't take much time investing in it anyway. In video games, I usually get pretty irritated when I get stuck, but it wasn't like that in Portal 2 because of how interested I was in just figuring it out. This game is definitely worth buying off of Steam, because of the glory that you will eventually give it in time like I have. Expand
  100. Apr 26, 2011
    great addition to vavle's amazing lineup. great characters and hilarious writing and not to mention that the final battle is incredible. if you liked portal one then you're sure as hell gonna like this, thanks again valve you genius bastards!
  101. Apr 19, 2011
    Complain all you want about paying $60 for a mini game, you should have shopped around and gotten it for $35 - $45 without ever leaving your couch by pre-ordering. It's freaking awesome, funny, challenging and great looking.

If you're complaining about the potato sac deal, get over it. You bought a cool collection of games cheap and played them for a few hours. "OH GOD, I HAD TO PLAY SUPER MEAT BOY" --- boo-hoo.

The game is plenty long for the single player and co-op extends the play time out even more. If you rated it a 1 or 0, then go crawl back under your hole and play minecraft. It's free and you can play it forever.

1. Oct 20, 2011