8.8

1. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game. Alot of interesting new things, both to the story, as well af the gameplay. Everything was better. Very good and satisfying ending. Co-op is awesome, too. Longer as the first one aswell. Loved it.
  2. Apr 22, 2011
    The first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funnyThe first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funny ending music, once again made by Jonathan Coulton.The single player experience is a little bit short, something about six hours to finish, but the game has a coop experience, that makes the game even more funny and longer.Probably the best game of this year. Expand
  3. Apr 22, 2011
    The quality of the first game is expanded upon in Portal 2, the game's length is much longer yet it keeps the good pacing and dark humour of its first outing, alongside the equally lengthy Co-op campaign, Portal 2 is well worth the time.

The expansion of the GLaDOS character really brings Portal 2 above the first game, providing another vehicle for the series' trademark humour. The

The puzzles have been rethought for this entry, shifting the focus more towards cognitive reasoning than simple reflexes, meaning that once a player has discovered the solution to a puzzle, the solving of it relies less on having to aim portals quickly and precisely.

It might be assumed that this detracts from the difficulty but by adding new gameplay mechanics in the form of the Repulsion, Acceleration and Moonrock Gels, these add a new layer of complexity to the puzzles.

Returning players will find the early puzzles to be easy as they simply re-imagined versions of the first few puzzles in Portal. They will also be familiar with the gameplay mechanics of the series, and will likely find this game simpler than new players, this is unsurprising however. The new mechanics are introduced later in the game, at this point all players will be roughly equal in experience anyway, in this way the game counters any sense of the game being "Too easy" for returning players.

The ending, which I shall not spoil, is a fitting end to the game's interactions between GLaDOS and the player.

I have no complaints about the game, especially given the lower than usual price point for the game.
  4. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 was an amazing ride from start to finish! the level design is pure genius and the voice acting is VALVe's best yet! The plot really never got old or stale witch i thought would be a problem given the gameplay. Gameplay is very well balanced from the most simple of tests to the complex. the Portal team at valve are very good teachers yet keep thing fun and engaging and it shows inPortal 2 was an amazing ride from start to finish! the level design is pure genius and the voice acting is VALVe's best yet! The plot really never got old or stale witch i thought would be a problem given the gameplay. Gameplay is very well balanced from the most simple of tests to the complex. the Portal team at valve are very good teachers yet keep thing fun and engaging and it shows in this game. overall one of the best VALVe games yet! (except for Half-Life 2 of course lol) Expand
  5. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of the most interesting and challenging games ever made. Portal 2 ups the ante from its massively successive predecessor by significantly increasing the games lenght and adding a bunch of brand new features such as light bridges and aerial faith plates. Portal 2 is hilarious from the start. The dialogues are clever and witty and the voice actors are perfect in their roles.Portal 2 is one of the most interesting and challenging games ever made. Portal 2 ups the ante from its massively successive predecessor by significantly increasing the games lenght and adding a bunch of brand new features such as light bridges and aerial faith plates. Portal 2 is hilarious from the start. The dialogues are clever and witty and the voice actors are perfect in their roles. The games art direction was really nice and some part had a slight half life feel to it. Also a series of wall drawings of events from before and during the events of the first game really created a unique ambiance. The graphics are nothing to brag about. They are clean and functional without any drops in frames, but are not mind blowing by any means. The game's 9 chapters took me about 10 hours to complete and I was enjoying every second of it. The levers near the end are very challenging and creative. Add to that the co op campaign and you've got another 10 hours of fun, hopefully with a friend. In co op you take the role of either Atlas or P Body, two cute and funny robots. All in all this was another amazing game from the guys over at Valve ( and imo their best ) I give this game an 10.0 ! Expand
  6. Apr 22, 2011
    Everything you liked on Portal 1... multiplied with 10...
    if you liked portal you will love portal 2
    if you can't find fun in the gameplay of portal, you won't find any in portal 2...
  7. Apr 22, 2011
    There is nothing wrong with this game. At least, nothing worth getting in such a fit that you need to go on the internet and complain about it. Nothing.
  8. Apr 22, 2011
    Once again, I am blown away by what Valve has accomplished. I never thought a video game could make me feel the way I did the first time I'd played Half-Life, but I was wrong. The first Portal was short and simple, a "beta" if you will for a new style of gameplay. Following the success of The Orange Box, (which included Portal, Team Fortress, and many other games,) Valve began working on aOnce again, I am blown away by what Valve has accomplished. I never thought a video game could make me feel the way I did the first time I'd played Half-Life, but I was wrong. The first Portal was short and simple, a "beta" if you will for a new style of gameplay. Following the success of The Orange Box, (which included Portal, Team Fortress, and many other games,) Valve began working on a full blown sequel to the mind bending first person puzzle shooter that changed the way we played video games.

Now, admittedly, I was a bit skeptical and and slightly apathetic when I first heard about the announcement of Portal 2. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the first game, I was unsure of how Valve would be able to create a sequel with the same old mechanics from the first Portal. Honestly, I was expecting identical puzzles from the first time around, and not much of a story line. But I could not have been more wrong.

The first thing that gamers will notice about Portal 2 is it's incredible graphics. Valve has blown us away with its newest version of the magnificent Source engine once again. Sitting in my computer chair, I swear i could feel the butterflies in my stomach as I was being swung around by a crane in my dilapidated hotel room. The colors are brilliant, the textures are shinier and smoother than ever, the lighting and shadowing effects are amazing (and at one point, very eerie,) making Portal 2 instant eye candy right from the very first moments of gameplay.

Now, although I was taken aback by the beauty of the game, I was expecting top notch graphics from a developer such as Valve. What I was not expecting, however, was the incredibly compelling story line. Portal 2 features a narrative that could give Half-Life a run for its money. With mystery, action, suspense, and tons of hilarious, Monty Python-esque comedy, the only people that will not be fully entertained by Portal 2 are the people that havent played it... yet.

Gameplay is not the only thing that makes Portal 2 an instant classic. Valve has made history by integrating Steam onto consoles. Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Steam, here is a brief explanation. Steam is basically an online library which all of your video games are salved. Whereas back in the old days, when purchasing a game for pc, you would have to type in a serial key which would limit the game to being played only on the computer you installed it on, now you register you game with Steam, and you can now log into your account from any computer and play your games. Still with me? So now, Steam has reached out to consoles. What does that mean? For one, when I buy my PS3 version of Portal 2, I can also install it on my PC and my Mac and no additional charge, after of course registering my game with my Steam account. Also, I can save my game progress on Steam, so that I can start on my PS3, continue on my PC, and finish off the game on my Mac. Now, ready for the best part? Portal 2 is (I believe) the only online console game to be played on Steam servers as opposed to company specific networks, (such as XBOXLive for XBOX and PSN for Playstation.) What does that mean? Cross-server multiplayer. So now, PC, Mac, PS3, and XBOX owners who are friends can all play together, which is truly an innovation in the gaming industry.

Ever since Half-Life in 1998, Valve has delivered top notch games that would redefine gaming time and time again, while also changing the way we bought and maintained video games. Now, over a decade after its first release, Valve is still leading the path in the Video game industry, creating intelligent, exciting, high quality entertainment, and delivering them in a cheaper, easier way to gamers. Valve is proof, that quality is much better than quantity, and a little less profit for them does not mean watering down the product being sold. In my opinion, all developers, publishers, and entertainers of all forms should take a note or two on how Valve does business. Portal 2 - 10/10
  9. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is the greatest game I have ever played. Portal was perfect: characters, puzzles, length - everything .. Portal 2 is 95% perfect but it lasts 3 or 4 times longer, and that's without the co-op. Yes, it's not quite as dark, but it can't be if it supplies you with a full story arc, which it does in spades. I appreciate that certain people won't like it, but an 8.0 score is aPortal 2 is the greatest game I have ever played. Portal was perfect: characters, puzzles, length - everything .. Portal 2 is 95% perfect but it lasts 3 or 4 times longer, and that's without the co-op. Yes, it's not quite as dark, but it can't be if it supplies you with a full story arc, which it does in spades. I appreciate that certain people won't like it, but an 8.0 score is a travesty of justice. This game is literally the best game that I've ever played. Imagine: a game where you don't pick the difficulty level, because there's no baddies and the game is all about the puzzles -- and such a game can be already the most anticipated game of 2011 -- WITHOUT BADDIES!! -- this is a paradigm shift in games (hopefully), and even if not, it is surely the finest effort of 2011. Also, the first 10 minutes were seriously out of a Douglas Adams book - Eddie the shipboard computer, anyone? Expand
  10. Apr 22, 2011
    Not to sound too obvious here, but I think Valve improved on this game in almost every single area but two. The game is longer (though just by a bit), There are more physics elements to play with, The black humor is pretty funny, and most importantly, the character development is great. They really made GLaDOS come alive during her time as a [______], and her subsequent few minutesNot to sound too obvious here, but I think Valve improved on this game in almost every single area but two. The game is longer (though just by a bit), There are more physics elements to play with, The black humor is pretty funny, and most importantly, the character development is great. They really made GLaDOS come alive during her time as a [______], and her subsequent few minutes post-Wheatley. I thought the boss battle had a quirky, creative ending which made good use of chekhov's gun, and that the opera was a great touch. Now for the negatives:
    Unfortunately, Co-op seems to be too easy and too short. They could use more elaborate maps for co-op. Also, the credit reel song just isn't up to par with the original's song which we all know and love.
  11. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 was incredible. I joined Steam purely for Portal in the first place but the sequel completely blows that out of the water. There's many new and clever puzzles, the dialog is absolutely hilarious while still telling a good story, and the game it several times longer than the original. Single player took me around 8 hours because I took my time admiring the environments which arePortal 2 was incredible. I joined Steam purely for Portal in the first place but the sequel completely blows that out of the water. There's many new and clever puzzles, the dialog is absolutely hilarious while still telling a good story, and the game it several times longer than the original. Single player took me around 8 hours because I took my time admiring the environments which are for the most part extremely well made. If you don't take the time to examine everything you miss much of what Portal 2 has to offer. Co-op only took a good friend and I about 3 hours or so to beat. It's about as long as single player, if not a bit longer, we just make a great co-op team and never got stuck for long. And that's not to say co-op is easier. It's actually far more difficult in my opinion. This is easily my new favorite game by Valve. Expand
  12. Apr 22, 2011
    This is a spectacular game with a well thought-out storyline, witty characters and laugh-out-loud humor. Co-op has been a creative and successful addition to the game. This is the game of the century, and is easily better than any game of the Dragon Age or Halo series, which is awfully ironic, considering my username. A must-have game and valuable addition to the gaming world.
  13. Axe
    Apr 22, 2011
    Just mind-blowingly amazing! Valve builds up the game with a foolproof skill curve for the first half of the game to prepare you for the quite challenging second half. The dialogue is pure genius and very very funny all the way through - the best I've ever seen in any form of entertainment/visual media. Story is well laid out, soundtrack + sounds syncing with your actions is always aJust mind-blowingly amazing! Valve builds up the game with a foolproof skill curve for the first half of the game to prepare you for the quite challenging second half. The dialogue is pure genius and very very funny all the way through - the best I've ever seen in any form of entertainment/visual media. Story is well laid out, soundtrack + sounds syncing with your actions is always a thrill, gameplay elements are very varied and a lot of fun (also gets very complicated when you throw in a lot of them together).

Graphics, textures, animations, level design, environment and all the little details are over-the-top fabulous. Co-op is challenging also, adding a lot to the replay value of the game. Best game I've ever played in a long, long time. It will twist your brain and make you feel dumb at times.
  14. eoq
    Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is the best game I've played... by far. I could not find anything to criticize. Sure there are loading screens after every challenge but they are never longer than 10 seconds and are almost welcomed after what your brain had to go through. The story is great and the characters are unforgettable. It took me 7 hours to finish the single player campaign and I would have gladly paidPortal 2 is the best game I've played... by far. I could not find anything to criticize. Sure there are loading screens after every challenge but they are never longer than 10 seconds and are almost welcomed after what your brain had to go through. The story is great and the characters are unforgettable. It took me 7 hours to finish the single player campaign and I would have gladly paid 40 buck for less. Then there's the co-op. My god is the co-op entertaining. It's the most fun I've had playing a co-op campaign. I always get my games when they're on sale on Steam. I've gotten; Bioshock for $5, both Left 4 Deads for $10 and GTA 4 and it's episodes for $10 just to name a few games I've bought. I got Portal 2 for $40 and I think it was well spent money, more so that those other games. I will forever remember this game as the game that raised my expectations so high that new games will forever disappoint. The Cadillac of video games. Expand
  15. Apr 23, 2011
    When a friend told me to go look at some of the reviews for Portal 2 on Metacritic i was gob smacked to what i saw. How could a game so beautifully created and so amazingly put together have so many negative user reviews? The voice acting is amazing, The graphics are amazing! The thing i love most about Portal 2 is how they have improved on the story, with Portal 1 i found it slightlyWhen a friend told me to go look at some of the reviews for Portal 2 on Metacritic i was gob smacked to what i saw. How could a game so beautifully created and so amazingly put together have so many negative user reviews? The voice acting is amazing, The graphics are amazing! The thing i love most about Portal 2 is how they have improved on the story, with Portal 1 i found it slightly repetitive but Portal 2 just had me itching to play more, Its 11pm and i'm saying to myself " Ok one more door. " then look at the clock and its 4am ! Co-op is just as amazing! I recommend this game to anybody and i would defiantly throw this game a nomination for game of year! Great job valve! Expand
  16. Apr 23, 2011
    Entirely worth the wait. People don't seem to realise that Valve hasn't just given us a new game for $30, they've given us an entirely new platform with which to create original, innovative and enjoyable new content. Once they release the SDK we'll see hundreds of community made maps/props/skins/everything in general. The game took me ~10 hours to complete, and that's without beating theEntirely worth the wait. People don't seem to realise that Valve hasn't just given us a new game for $30, they've given us an entirely new platform with which to create original, innovative and enjoyable new content. Once they release the SDK we'll see hundreds of community made maps/props/skins/everything in general. The game took me ~10 hours to complete, and that's without beating the co-op. The story was well worth it, far more in depth and entertaining than most half-hearted crap released onto the market which we're forced to pay extortionate prices for (ala the Call of Duty series). This game is easily a top candidate for game of the year. I still maintain that Valve has never released a bad game (let's just ignore Ricochet on this one). Want my advice? Stop nitpicking parts of the game which don't even affect gameplay - by that I mean entirely optional cosmetic addons - and start focusing on the bigger picture. Valve has done us well. Expand
  17. Apr 23, 2011
    This is an absolutely amazing and funny game. Singelplayer for my 7 hour game, with another 5 hour co-op campaign. I have no all achviements then play i again.
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    Best game I have ever played! Simply amazing! Fantastic game play and great story! The writing is hilarious and it really pulls you in! With the custom maps I have gotten hours of fun!
  19. Apr 23, 2011
    I can't believe some people are giving this awesome game a bad review simply because it wasn't released early and there is day one dlc. The only negative thing I have to say is that the graphics do look a bit dated but because everything else is so well done I don't really care. I wish more developers put this much effort into writing, I can't think of any other game (besides the firstI can't believe some people are giving this awesome game a bad review simply because it wasn't released early and there is day one dlc. The only negative thing I have to say is that the graphics do look a bit dated but because everything else is so well done I don't really care. I wish more developers put this much effort into writing, I can't think of any other game (besides the first portal) that I will replay levels just to listen to the dialog. I hope that people don't take this nonsensical garbage seriously and give portal 2 a chance, if you do you won't be disappointed. Expand
  20. Apr 23, 2011
    Well, I partly created Metacritic account just to make sure this game's score is bumped up because people who have scored this game anything but lower than 7 are idiots! They have no legit reason. In reality I'd say this game is somewhere between 8.5-9.5. I wouldn't say 10 though.

First and foremost, the game took 10 hours for me to complete. I am not a puzzle genius and I kind of looked for secrets etc. So lets say my ponderings and my secret hunting took another 2-3 hours, you should at least get 7 hours of gameplay easy on the single player. I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet! That is like 3 times the time I got out of Portal 1!!! And anything longer would truly drag this game out. That is the thing. Portal titles, by nature, cannot be very long. Unless the formula has been changed.

Secoondly, I loved the humour, I loved the graphics style, I love the characters and animations, I loved the writing, I loved the ending...I also loved the atmosphere...
    However, in the back of my mind I kept comparing to the first game and at some point the pacing slows down. The new mechanics aren't necessarily given enough gameplay time which makes you a bit craving for more...that and the loading screens (though lasted very short) were a bit of immersion breaker. Valve never used to take people out of the game before, I was surprised to see them.

I don't have a latest system and I played the game at the highest settings of it all with no hitches. Though Source engine doesn't compare to some big names like Crytek, it still looks goddamn good! I'd say performance over potential looks!

Overall, it is a worthy purchase unless you are a person who really can't stand puzzle games and need something to shoot/kill because you will be required to use your brain and won't have any face to face opponents to kill.
  21. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my favorite games of all time, even better than the first. The story, the puzzles, and the characters are all more complex this time around, in a good way. The ending itself is amazing, the moon sequence, followed by the adorable turret opera, topped off with the unexpected return of the (original?) companion cube! Well done Valve! Expand
  22. Apr 23, 2011
    GOTY for me. This game is one of the most immersive I've ever played. If you enjoyed portal or any of the half life games you owe it to yourself to play Portal 2.
  23. Apr 25, 2011
    Best game I have played in a while, epic ending. Coop is neat. What is the best part though is that Portal 2 is fully moddable and it will insure great replay value.
  24. Apr 24, 2011
    I can't believe the critical response to this game. They've rated it higher than pretty much any game in history. Are you people serious? Do people really think this game is better then Half-Life 2, Oblivion, Dragon Age Origins, and ME 2? Granted, Portal 2 is a fun puzzle game with clever dialogue, but it's by no means one of the greatest games in history. The puzzles becomeI can't believe the critical response to this game. They've rated it higher than pretty much any game in history. Are you people serious? Do people really think this game is better then Half-Life 2, Oblivion, Dragon Age Origins, and ME 2? Granted, Portal 2 is a fun puzzle game with clever dialogue, but it's by no means one of the greatest games in history. The puzzles become monotonous towards the end. I thought they should have broken up the pace a bit more with story elements instead of puzzle, puzzle, puzzle, puzzle, story snip-it, puzzle. The presentation was good, the voice acting great, and the graphics were solid. Again, a little more variety in setting would have been nice, but the game is definitely better than average in this department. Overall, I believe the game deserves an 8.5-9. Pro-Reviewers, Save the 9.5-10 scores for the true masterpieces please. Expand
  25. Apr 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. first of all, it has to be mentioned, that portal 2 is a really, really good game, excellent sound, great storyline, awesome ideas and designs, but i personally missed the opportunity to clear a level in different ways... i played portal 1 so much, because i always wanted to decrease the time i need to play through it... portal 2´s puzzles are great and i love the new ideas, but why the hell isn´t it possible to play levels in different types of ways? i mean for me and many other people i guess, it was one of the main reasons why i loved portal 1 so much.
    Portal 2 rests as a great game as i said before, but, in my opinion, it just can´t reach portal, because of it´s puzzles.
    i just missed a reason to play through portal 2 again.
  26. Apr 24, 2011
    Played through to completion and it's almost everything I would have wanted in a sequel to Portal. The only thing I would mark it down for is it's probably a little too easy, the first contained more taxing puzzles and you were far more likely to die. This might be improved later down the line with free DLC levels and user based content. All in all, a great game.
  27. Apr 24, 2011
    Flawless, amazing and beautiful. This game blew me away. The worst part about it is I can't play it any more. Perfect 10 of 10. Bottom line is you need to get this game if you haven't already bought it.
  28. Apr 24, 2011
    For a little more than half of the price of a full retail normal game you get an AMAZING single-player experience and a two-player co-op mode with it's own story and levels... If this still isn't enough for you how about, achievements? cross-platform play? or even simply the extras like the videos, the commentaries, steam cloud or even the stats... If you don't see anything is this awesomeFor a little more than half of the price of a full retail normal game you get an AMAZING single-player experience and a two-player co-op mode with it's own story and levels... If this still isn't enough for you how about, achievements? cross-platform play? or even simply the extras like the videos, the commentaries, steam cloud or even the stats... If you don't see anything is this awesome story-driven puzzle game that ticks your interest maybe you should consider giving up on gaming altogether... Expand
  29. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is a great game for those who have a few hours to kill. I honestly love the story and the gameplay, but it felt like the puzzles were really easy and the game ended too soon. As for the co-op, it is extremely satisfying showing off your puzzle solving skills to your friends. But if you don't have friends that own Portal 2 then you may have a hard time finishing all the puzzlesPortal 2 is a great game for those who have a few hours to kill. I honestly love the story and the gameplay, but it felt like the puzzles were really easy and the game ended too soon. As for the co-op, it is extremely satisfying showing off your puzzle solving skills to your friends. But if you don't have friends that own Portal 2 then you may have a hard time finishing all the puzzles because it's impossible get a good partner who is willing to cooperate with you. Most of the time your random partner is either ahead/behind you in their progress and they are not willing to start where you left off. I've also noticed that a lot of people were complaining about the in-game store similar to the one in TF2. To me, the store is fine, all the items are purely cosmetic and don't affect gameplay at all. Yet, buying items seems pointless because once you're done with the cooperative campaign, there are no more puzzles to solve and nobody to show your expensive hats too. Expand
  30. Apr 24, 2011
    Definitely an enjoyable game, can't wait to try out the multiplayer. The single player was very enjoyable. The puzzles were fun and the story was rather enjoyable. While the game was a little short though I had a day off work and put in a good 8+ hours into didn't get very many achievements though. Will have to go back through to get all those.
  31. Apr 24, 2011
    If I could call Portal 2 an "interactive cinematic experience" instead of a "game" without being laughed at, I would. Portal 2 is best played as though the player is watching a movie. $50-60 is obviously far more than what it costs to watch a movie, but in terms of quality and depth of the content you are getting, Portal 2 is about equal in value per hard-earned dollar.

Portal 2 is a step

Portal 2 is a step forward for gaming as a medium. It provides an extremely polished experience from start to finish and doesn't resort to padding the game to give a false impression of value. No aspect of this game exists that has not been thoroughly tested and given extreme attention to detail. If you constantly find flaws when playing games that you think the developers should have changed, you will have a hard time finding similar flaws in Portal 2 and will likely feel comfortable playing through the game without worrying about the possibility of bumping into any poorly thought out game-design decisions.

Those who have not played the first Portal will likely enjoy this game more-so than people who have played the first and have certain expectations in mind for what this game is about. If you have played the first game and focus on solving each test-chamber like you did before, you are going to quickly become frustrated when you lose track of which test-chamber you have completed until you realize it no longer matters which test-chambers you solved because Portal 2 is broken up by chapters. Test chambers have become a part of the science-facility in the plot of Portal 2 rather than a way to break the game up into levels as in the first game. This method of progression makes the game's plot a smoothly-flowing story to experience and allows for plenty of freedom of thought that isn't restricted to the interior of the facility's testing chambers and lets players think about what goes on in the rest of the world outside of the testing-facility.

While the first game leads players to believe the overall goal is to solve all of the test chambers to get to the reward of cake and then makes a twist part way through the game, Portal 2 presents a much more personal plot containing more character development and progression which is all carefully and masterfully written.

The game's cooperative multi-player mode contains more traditional puzzle-solving where the story has less of an impact on gameplay. There are tidbits of details and dialogue in the multi-player that further expand upon the characters and plot of the single-player mode, but are not necessary to have a full movie-like experience if the player never plays it. There is some information only found in the multi-player mode related to the overall universe in which the plot of Portal 2 takes place, which may increase the value of this game for players who want to know more about the universe in which the Portal series takes place, which the developer Valve states is the same universe in which the Half-Life series of games take place.

In multiplayer the game is broken up into 5 main groups of puzzles which explore Portal 2's gameplay mechanics more in depth than in the game's single-player mode. The co-op mode gives players opportunities to make use of several game mechanics which work in the single-player mode but don't have any purpose in the single-player game or plot.

Portal 2 lacks some aspects of gameplay which players may be accustomed to finding in games such as a competitive multiplayer mode or a high level of difficulty. Objectively, I do not feel adding these aspects to Portal 2's gameplay would increase the game's quality, experience, or value, however there is a degree of personal taste needed to assess their effects on the game. Additionally, the PC version of Portal 2 contains a menu which can be used to customize the appearance of the playable characters of the multi-player component of the game using items purchased through real-life currency. These purchasable items make the co-op character's character-design less consistent than on the console versions and do not serve any practical purpose in terms of gameplay or plot progression and are purely optional to use, unless the player's partner chooses to use them. Objectively, I do not feel adding these items to Portal 2's multiplayer mode affects the game's quality, experience, or value, however once again, there is a degree of personal taste needed to assess their effects on the game.
  32. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is an excellent game. That's pretty much all there is to say about it, really. I played Portal for the first time, and then the sequel, over the course of a single weekend. The difference, and the similarity, was astounding. The first game was a revolution. The physics, the writing, the mood, setting, all something new and extremely fun. The sequel is an evolution. The samePortal 2 is an excellent game. That's pretty much all there is to say about it, really. I played Portal for the first time, and then the sequel, over the course of a single weekend. The difference, and the similarity, was astounding. The first game was a revolution. The physics, the writing, the mood, setting, all something new and extremely fun. The sequel is an evolution. The same basic game, polished so finely it shines like a gem. Game play and difficulty were the same. The graphics, the story, the ingenuity, all drastically improved, with a story that flows almost seamlessly between the two. (At least with the modified ending to the first game.) Frankly, I'd recommend this game to everyone. Expand
  33. Apr 24, 2011
    Honestly the most fun I've had in a long time playing video games. I stumbled upon the first portal when I bought the Orange Box and was like ya these mini puzzles are fun and then all of a sudden I was escaping and was a fantastic. Portal 2 lived up to the hype I had of it in my mind and the voice acting is fantastic and fun plot, good pace, and some fairly difficult levels that had meHonestly the most fun I've had in a long time playing video games. I stumbled upon the first portal when I bought the Orange Box and was like ya these mini puzzles are fun and then all of a sudden I was escaping and was a fantastic. Portal 2 lived up to the hype I had of it in my mind and the voice acting is fantastic and fun plot, good pace, and some fairly difficult levels that had me stumped for awhile; but as soon as I figured them out you just think DUH. 10/10 Loved it. Also the ending is just sooooo good. Expand
  34. Apr 24, 2011
    Valve's unrivaled masterpiece in the top five games I've ever played worth every penny. Single player took me eight hours co-op around four. But I plan to do multiple run through's of both very soon.

I am disgusted by the cry baby, self entitled spoiled idiots that post on here. If you'd played this game and had any grievances you would have given it an average score. A low score is pathetic as the actual gameplay story and execution is undoubtedly absolute quality.

Shame on you, come out of your basement and learn to enjoy life, and great pieces of art like Portal 2.
  35. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is fantastic, and seeing some of the negative reviews posted by players, I feel I must chip in to help balance them out. This game is absolutely hilarious. I sort of rushed my first playthrough because I was so excited to get the game. Turns out I missed a lot of great lines in the process. The puzzles are also quite fun, a bit more difficult than Portal 1's puzzles. The game isThis game is fantastic, and seeing some of the negative reviews posted by players, I feel I must chip in to help balance them out. This game is absolutely hilarious. I sort of rushed my first playthrough because I was so excited to get the game. Turns out I missed a lot of great lines in the process. The puzzles are also quite fun, a bit more difficult than Portal 1's puzzles. The game is short, yes, but every single minute is great. It is polished and there is ZERO fluff present. Also, the co-operative feature is amazing. I haven't had the chance to play all the way through co-op, but after playing it with one of my best friends, I must say that with the right partner, co-op can be very entertaining and fulfilling, and may be reason to buy the game alone--so long as you have lots of people to play it with. The only gripe I can think of is that for some sequences in the game, the "puzzle" amounts to finding the right surface to create a portal on, which amounts more to a Where's Waldo-type search than actually exercising critical thinking abilities. Fortunately, these parts are few and far between, and usually happen between actual puzzles, instead of being the focus of a puzzle itself.

Buy this game. You will have a great time.
  36. Apr 24, 2011
    Best game ever. Its pretty much a continuation of Portal. The writing is just as good as Portal. It never gets boring, a new gameplay mechanic is introduced before you can get bored. The portals are easier to hit, and its much easier to carry a cube through a portal. The only problem with it is the final fight is too easy.
  37. Apr 24, 2011
    Excellent game. Amazing level design, best looking source engine game I have ever played. Hilarious and entertaining dialogue, immersive story and environment. Easily the best game I have played in very long time. Yes the in-game store is a bit strange especially for such a short co-op campaign but it's OPTIONAL. You do not get any sort of unfair advantage for buying hats. Valve isExcellent game. Amazing level design, best looking source engine game I have ever played. Hilarious and entertaining dialogue, immersive story and environment. Easily the best game I have played in very long time. Yes the in-game store is a bit strange especially for such a short co-op campaign but it's OPTIONAL. You do not get any sort of unfair advantage for buying hats. Valve is easiest the best developer making games for PC and Portal 2 brings it to whole new level. Expand
  38. Apr 24, 2011
    Excellent game. A little short, at least when just considering the single-player campaign, but still a masterpiece, especially compared to some of the hyped up chaff that's come out recently (cough DA2 cough). Not sure what the hullabaloo over the DLC is about as it is unrelated to the game and completely unnecessary.
  39. Apr 24, 2011
    There are very few games that I play from the beginning to the end with practically no break, and Portal 2 is definitely one of them. It is a brilliant game which takes the concept of Portal 1, improves upon it and makes a full fledged game out of it. There is so much attention to detail, which is impossible to describe without spoilers, let's just say that if you stop and look around youThere are very few games that I play from the beginning to the end with practically no break, and Portal 2 is definitely one of them. It is a brilliant game which takes the concept of Portal 1, improves upon it and makes a full fledged game out of it. There is so much attention to detail, which is impossible to describe without spoilers, let's just say that if you stop and look around you for a second, every little poster on the wall, every little prop object in the world, will tell a story. The game is genuinely funny, from GlaDOS cinysm and resention, to Wheatley being a Wheatley. Then there is a second level of humor, ridiculing the world, past and present. Portal 2 will make you laugh, and it will make you laugh even more if you don't just run through the puzzles.

There have been rumors circulating around the net that the game is extremely short - it's not. There is no way anyone could go through the game, even if he knew the solutions to all the puzzles, in four hours. My guess would be that on average, it will take more than 8 hours to finish the game. More, if you poke around the rooms. There is no buffer content and it's a roller coaster ride from start to finish.

If you seriously dislike this gem of a game, I don't see how you can call yourself a gamer, because it shows brilliance left and right, in it's every single aspect.
  40. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 was pitch perfect in terms of dialog, characters, narrative, and pacing. Everything about this game was extremely satisfying. Even the Co-op, which I was worried was tacked on as fan service, was a splendid mind-bending experience. Also I think a special hats off to the character animators who were able to emote so much with the limited robotic designs of Wheatley and GLaDOS.
    My
    My only complaints were the constant loading screens between puzzles. I'm not sure if it's a limit of the aging Source engine (which aesthetically looks great) or a conscious design decision, but it was mildly annoying. I am also a little disturbed by the online store for robot gestures. I'm not so much bothered that it exists in this game, because it's completely inconsequential, but I worry that Valve will get caught in a slippery slope of microtransactions and that it could be bad news for future games.
  41. Apr 25, 2011
    I just finished Portal 2 single player yesterday, i can say that it was amazing! I can't understand those bad review, but i admit that i like Portal 2 so much! This was the best Valve's game ever, TF2, HL2, Portal, and now? Portal 2!!! Btw, this game was great, excellent job, Valve!! Keep it up!
  42. Apr 25, 2011
    Out of all the games over the last 2 years I have not played something that gives the player such an varied experience between story and gameplay that not only captivates the player but also challenges them.

This is really one above the traditional shooting gallery FPS that plagues the market today. Valve's best title to date. Voice acting = 10/10 Gameplay = 10/10 CO-OP = 10/10

Valve's best title to date.

Voice acting = 10/10
    Gameplay = 10/10
    CO-OP = 10/10
    Soundtrack = 10/10

Everything about this game screams quality. The effort the team put in is clearly shown, and that is why Portal 2 is now in my top ten favourite games. In regards to those who are complaining about the ARG or the in game DLC. These are two things separate of in-game content. Valve keeps getting compared to Zynga games because of their hat store's but people forget how Valve give constant free content to players for their title's such as L4D 1 and 2 and TF2. If Valve where like some of the other companies they would easily be charging for that content. So quit your moaning and appreciate a game that just Ooze's Perfect.
  43. Apr 25, 2011
    I expected it to be great but Valve still blew my expectations away. The negative comments by a few PC gamers oozing with self entitlement saddens me. We will blame them when Valve leaves PC gaming for a more lucrative and less ungrateful customer base. Check out RockPaperShotgun for a well argued and researched counter to all the trolling.
  44. Apr 25, 2011
    One of the Best Games i ever Played. A must have! I have played Portal 1 and i need 3 Hours max. Now in Portal 2 i played about seven or eight Hours and now i play it with Producer Commands. So i have enough to do.
  45. Apr 25, 2011
    Superb - improves upon the first game in almost every way. The new additions to the gameplay mechanic are innovative and fun. The single player campaign is excellent, with great narrative and engaging characters. I've only played a couple of hours of co-op but what I've seen so far works really well, and it's clear a lot of effort has been put into getting the multiplayer right. Hats offSuperb - improves upon the first game in almost every way. The new additions to the gameplay mechanic are innovative and fun. The single player campaign is excellent, with great narrative and engaging characters. I've only played a couple of hours of co-op but what I've seen so far works really well, and it's clear a lot of effort has been put into getting the multiplayer right. Hats off to Valve for once again putting out an impressive, well-balanced and memorable title. An essential purchase for anyone that enjoyed the first game, and for anyone that has yet to experience the Portal universe. Expand
  46. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic game from start to finish. The criticism for the DLC is completely unfounded. Its purely cosmetic and you can't blame a company for offering people an OPTION. The people who don't care for the option are free to not use it and the people who like it can use it. Personally I never understood people who need content to be made unavailable for others to feel good. Can't we all justFantastic game from start to finish. The criticism for the DLC is completely unfounded. Its purely cosmetic and you can't blame a company for offering people an OPTION. The people who don't care for the option are free to not use it and the people who like it can use it. Personally I never understood people who need content to be made unavailable for others to feel good. Can't we all just take our right to choose and choose what we like instead of choosing what others should have? Expand
  47. n47
    Apr 25, 2011
    It's hard to decide between a 9 and a 10 for Portal 2. It's not perfect, shorter than we'd all like but that's hardly surprising considering the amount of dialogue and attention to detail in the game.

I laughed for a near-solid 4 hours during the coop campaign (play with a good, newbie friend on your first play through, trust me - you want to be experiencing the puzzles for the first time, at the same time), and for the vast majority of the 5-8 hour single player. And there's another point, the co-op is a completely new story, with very different test chambers making use of a full four portals and two players - it is a "must play" part of the game - something that cannot be said for the vast majority of games. Fantastic game, great atmosphere and a phenomenal voice acting/dialogue. If I could give it a 9.5 I would, but on this scale it's worth a 10.
  48. Apr 25, 2011
    A group of people have used metacritic as a tool for a smear campaign on the game, for their own reasons. When you look at the profiles of a lot of those who put 0 or 1, you see that many have not reviewed any other games, and some of them openly say that they will wait to buy the game!! That said, I have played for 4 hours yet, and I am only in the third chapter of the solo, and justA group of people have used metacritic as a tool for a smear campaign on the game, for their own reasons. When you look at the profiles of a lot of those who put 0 or 1, you see that many have not reviewed any other games, and some of them openly say that they will wait to buy the game!! That said, I have played for 4 hours yet, and I am only in the third chapter of the solo, and just began the co-op with a friend. So much for 4 hours, which is a blatant lie... As for the game itself, the story is great, characters really funny, and the graphics are really very good. Water, for example, is the best I ever saw in a game. And the puzzles are really great to solve. You really have a sensation of achievement when you complete them. The difficulty is just how it should be. For players who ant a super hard game, I remember that some of my friends, who were very good at the first Portal, even not finished Portal Prelude because it was MUCH too difficult. Maximum difficulty sometimes makes for a boring game. Difficulty of Portal 2 is what I expected of this game.

And one last thing: only Valve know how to begin games like they do. You are right from the beginning in the game, but you still complete a kind of tutorial without knowing it, the story is explained, and you are not bored at all. For a lot of games nowadays, you have to play 1 hour at least to start to find intereting things going on. Here it's just after one second ;)
  49. Apr 25, 2011
    Perhaps the best game I have played in my lifetime. In short, gaming PERFECTION.

VALVe used the contextual storytelling as only they can, with plot twists and jokes hidden within levels and voiceovers. The Cave Johnson voiceovers (accompanied by others) add detail and humor to the levels, with GLaDOS are sarcastic as ever, and Wheatley is as moronic as the trailers make out. The voice acting is a million times better than Portal's (which was then the best I'd heard when I played it), making you adore and care for these characters more than any human character. The length is perfect, as are the puzzles, which make you wonder for ages, before finding a simple answer. Although, maybe fewer flingy puzzles.

Frankly what is all the fuss with DLC about? It does nothing to the game, and it's basically some TF2 hats.
  50. Apr 25, 2011
    I felt compelled to comment here because the game is, quite undoubtably, a masterpiece. Everything from the script to the pacing and the understanding of 3D space is perfectly executed. One of the few games that might genuinely deserve a 10.0 review.

For those of you who feel that this game somehow deserves a bad reviews, I have this to say to you: http://tombattey.blogspot.com/2011/04/elitism-and-how-to-shut-hell-up.html Please do read, and get back to me.
  51. Apr 25, 2011
    Dubious marketing and in-game shopping excluded, Portal 2 is what made original Portal so great and so much more. With such great production values, story, characters, design and balanced puzzles, there's no way Portal 2 can go wrong. And then there's co-op. Absolutely brilliant package.
  52. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic game, amazing score, most fun I've had playing a video game all year. The single player is gripping and advances on the aperture story line and the multiplayer opens up possibilities for the future.
  53. Apr 25, 2011
    all in all a great game, especially the added coop mode. frequent load times which reminds one of a console, unfortunately.
    they manage to squeeze enough out of the source engine, especially the lighting, which is magnificent.
    a worthwhile purchase
  54. Apr 25, 2011
    The problem with portal 2 is that it is a squeal to an amazing game. That means it has to live up to the expectations of the original portal fans. Portal surprised and amazed everyone with how good it was, and now people have unfairly high expectations of portal 2. Even though many people think Portal 2 was not as good as the first one, it was still an amazing game, and easily deserves a 10/10.
  55. Apr 25, 2011
    After completing the game, I felt sad it was over, it was such a good experience. The writing and voice acting was brilliant and had me laughing all the way through. At points it could even make you feel a little fearful, which is an amazing achievement in a game with no real enemies. I would say that the difficulty of this game was below what I was expecting (probably been thinking withAfter completing the game, I felt sad it was over, it was such a good experience. The writing and voice acting was brilliant and had me laughing all the way through. At points it could even make you feel a little fearful, which is an amazing achievement in a game with no real enemies. I would say that the difficulty of this game was below what I was expecting (probably been thinking with portals too long). However, even with a relatively low difficulty level, it didn't detract from the enjoyment for me at all. When it was completed, I went straight back to new game so I could enjoy every sarcastic remark a second time and very few games make me want to replay them that quickly. Expand
  56. Jun 11, 2011
    Probably the best Valve game ever. Simply brilliant. Has all the charm and humor of the original, while adding new elements making the puzzles much more challenging. It took me about 9 hours to finish. 11/10. Simply epic!
  57. Apr 25, 2011
    A truly unique and amazing game. It stands above the crowd of imitators and brings with it the best SP and Co-Op experience I have played in years. Great visuals, fantastic voicing acting, beautifully designed, excellent writing and pitch perfect control all polished to near perfection. Game of the Year.
  58. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is a refined Portal 1. Nearly everything was improved from the first game. The puzzles are more interesting, varied, and satisfying to solve. The writing is funnier, more clever, and it's one of the most quotable pieces of media ever. If you liked the first, Christmas has come early. If you didn't, science says that you're a horrible person.
  59. Apr 26, 2011
    Sense of humor is great advantage of this game. Puzzle - could be harder, i moved along most of them without longer thinking.
    Graphics - quite good, Source fits to industrial atmosphere.
    Sounds - great.
  60. Apr 26, 2011
    The Good

1. From a design perspective, incredibly well made, the dynamic lighting and shaders are beautiful, and the sheer fluidity of it all, it's an incredibly optimised and well made piece of software, I couldn't believe how well it runs on lower spec systems. 2. Engaging story. 3. Interesting and fun new things thrown into the levels that add a new dimension to the play. The Bad
    The Good

1. The levels are too easy and cookie cut, as someone that's completed co-op and singleplayer with relatively little effort, while it is fun, the replay value is hurt because going through again is even easier and there's much less ways of doing the same level than in the first Portal. e.g In Portal 1, metal plates were used to limit you reaching an easier solution to the problem, in Portal 2, they are used everywhere apart from where you're supposed to place your portals, 95% of the levels involve just joining the dots.

I can maybe understand the developers being afraid of people getting stuck, but where are the optional challenge maps of portal 1?

2. Wheatley, now I know this character may seem cute to Americans who see the UK as some sort of zoo for their entertainment, but as I'm also British
    he didn't even have the accent novelty going for me, I hated how I was made to tolerate this irritating Ricky Gervais clone right at the start of the game, Wheatley is the one robot in the game with a non robot voice, which made me wonder if the Developers are too in love with the voice actor to dare
    tamper with his voice or something, and when I discovered that Wheatleys is voice by a guy from Ricky Gervais show "The Extras", well, all the pieces start to fit. While I did learn to live with Wheatley, he did spoil my enjoyment of the first levels. To me it was like being given a tour of the Grand Canyon, only to be forced to carry Timmy Mallet around on my back. If I had been forced to spend the whole singleplayer with him, I have no trouble giving
    Portal 2 a 0. 3. The constant load times of the co-op mode. 4. The replay value, this isn't a game you can sink hundreds of deathmatch hours into, at the moment you have around 6 hours of singleplayer and 4 hours of multiplayer co-op that you may want to run through again another time, and then that's it, because again of how cookie cut the levels are and because of
    the type of game this is, after those 10 or so hours, there's not really anything left to do. Valve could've gone a long way to addressing this but I guess now we'll just have to see what they do in regards to DLC, until then it's up to you if you think it's worth the RRP or not with these facts in mind.

I wouldn't say it's quite worth the RRP but some great singleplayer events and on of the best endings I've seen outside a Final Fantasy game go a long way to getting there.
  61. Apr 26, 2011
    For those that say this is a console port you're wrong. For those that say it's "too short" again... wrong. (Those claiming to have finished it in 4 hours are flat out lying.) DLC on day one? Come on. It's a skin and nothing more. It doesn't affect the game at all. So complaining about DLC from day one makes you look like a moron.

This is one of the most original and engaging games

This is one of the most original and engaging games released within the last decade. Period.
  62. Apr 26, 2011
    Portal2 COOL GAME! I love valve! I HATE PORTAL3!!! :D YEAH!
    PORTAL 2 THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!!!!11111one
    From Russia with love ;)
    Valve thanks! Portal 2 cool!
  63. Apr 27, 2011
    Possibly the greatest Valve game created. Graphics and animations are superb, gameplay is addicting and extremely fun and the sound is excellent. The humour is hilarious and the characters have really awesome personalities. The only thing I found bad about this game is that tests give no hints on how to complete it, which means you can be stuck on one level for several hours.
  64. Apr 29, 2011
    It's not a heavenly portal but it most certainly manages to entertain. The story incorporates many darkly humorous elements to support a gameplay that is thoroughly thought invoking. All throughout the obstacles change enough to keep you occupied but not so much as to make you feel lost. The threads spin together and as the game progresses it gets more interesting growing with itsIt's not a heavenly portal but it most certainly manages to entertain. The story incorporates many darkly humorous elements to support a gameplay that is thoroughly thought invoking. All throughout the obstacles change enough to keep you occupied but not so much as to make you feel lost. The threads spin together and as the game progresses it gets more interesting growing with its mechanics and the telling. Towards the finale there is a lot to see and the ending sequences are terrifically fun. If physical puzzles and science humor are your cup of tea then so ought this. Expand
  65. Aug 19, 2011
    Great, just great. Plot is very intriguing, some giant computer is making fun all the time on you and trying to screw you as much as she can.

I don't know how game is so simple and so much interesting. I don't like maze or "logically" games cos they are for narrowed minded ( no offence but 100% of that type of games are linear), and often non-logical. In this you have no bugs, no

In this you have no bugs, no stupid hidden buttons, pappier under camouflaged door step or passage to find. Just riddle and your mind. Clean and provocative.

GREAT i gave it 10!
  66. Apr 27, 2011
    Awesome game! No flaws worth mentioning. I was a big fan of the first game, and I don't know why more people weren't. I tried to explain it to people who I'd have thought would like it, and their eyes glazed over, like "OK...". The second game picks up right where the other left off, with a little bit of a reminder as to how everything worked. Then it continues with the great sarcasticAwesome game! No flaws worth mentioning. I was a big fan of the first game, and I don't know why more people weren't. I tried to explain it to people who I'd have thought would like it, and their eyes glazed over, like "OK...". The second game picks up right where the other left off, with a little bit of a reminder as to how everything worked. Then it continues with the great sarcastic humor and perfectly thought-out challenges that just builds upon itself so cleverly in every way. Yeah, I'd give it a ten. Mind you, although I've finished the single-player, I've only spent about 45 mins on the co-op mode. I think that is brilliant so far too, but you should take that into account. Expand
  67. Apr 28, 2011
    This is an incredible game. The production/professionalism regarding Valve is unmatched. I cannot believe how well crafted this game was; I just cannot think of a single flaw. As far as graphics goes they're amazing and ran incredibly well with how ancient my computer is. The sound quality is also top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed the ARG promotions and wonder why people alwaysThis is an incredible game. The production/professionalism regarding Valve is unmatched. I cannot believe how well crafted this game was; I just cannot think of a single flaw. As far as graphics goes they're amazing and ran incredibly well with how ancient my computer is. The sound quality is also top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed the ARG promotions and wonder why people always question a good thing. Ignorance I suppose. Anyways, if you're a mature player who enjoys an engaging story and a sense of accomplishment I highly encourage you to buy this game for yourself or as a gift on Steam. You will be a happy camper! Thanks for reading my review, and thanks Valve!!! Expand
  68. Apr 28, 2011
    Awesome game what more can I say. It makes you laugh, enjoy, think, it has also good graphics, sound effects, awesome voice acting and excellent story and co-op mode.
  69. Apr 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the gameplay and the gfx.
    This is the best game of its kind.
    And i really love the co-op mode in this game to play with your friends, thats just a awesome game!
    I can only recommend it.
  70. Apr 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I loved Portal. It is easily one of my favourite games. So the time waiting for Portal 2 seemed like an endless pain.
    When I first played Portal 2, I was blown away. I love the new mechanics such as the Hard Light Bridge or the different Gels. They make the game more complicated, and that's what I wanted from Portal 2.
    I have one problem: The game doesn't feel like the original Portal did, but much rather like Half-Life with a Portal Gun. Portal had those small rooms, where you never knew what's going to be behind the next corner. Portal 2 does pretty much the opposite: Huge spaces in most of the levels. And those huge spaces take away the feeling of Portal.
    The game is probably the funniest game I've ever played. Portal was already funny with Glados, but Portal 2 pitches in two more Characters, Wheatly, the "biggest Moron ever built", and Cave Johnson (he "owns the place"). The game makes you feel attached to those Characters very fast and actually draws very accurate picture of all of them, even if you never actually see some of them.
    The ending was pretty good, too. I was anticipating a Song like "Still Alive", Portal 2 had the Song "Want you gone". A pretty good song, too, but it isn't quite as good as "Still Alive".
    So in the end, I could say that Portal 2 is a really good game, but who searches for the feeling of the original game wont find it in this game. The game should've been named: "Half-Life: Portal" or something like that. I still recommend playing the game to everyone, because it is an awesome game.
  71. Apr 30, 2011
    The Negative Nancies rating this game at 0-4 are all butt-hurt dwellers and trolls. I loved the new puzzle mechanics and story and hats off to the environment team because this test facility feels huge and alive! The last game I had this much fun playing was Portal 1.
  72. Apr 30, 2011
    First, the positive: The first fourth of the game is brilliant, the second fourth is good, and after the trainwreck that is the next two fourths, they manage to recover with an ending that surpasses the original. The writing team was on their game for the introduction scenes and the dialog is witty and well-written, however, many of the gags are repeats or based on the same patternsFirst, the positive: The first fourth of the game is brilliant, the second fourth is good, and after the trainwreck that is the next two fourths, they manage to recover with an ending that surpasses the original. The writing team was on their game for the introduction scenes and the dialog is witty and well-written, however, many of the gags are repeats or based on the same patterns already established in the original. The gameplay is fun as it introduces the different concepts after GLaDOS's re-awakening.

However, after it finishes introducing the concepts the negatives begin.

The negatives: First, the game was designed primarily with consoles in mind, likely for marketing reasons (you can charge console gamers more and they are more likely to pay it). Unfortunately, this shows in the actual design of the game-- there are no puzzles which require finesse to perform-- i.e. chaining portals while in air to get to a destination. In fact, very few can actually be considered actual puzzles. Often the only difficulty involved in solving these is looking for an obscure section of wall that you can hit with the portal gun. So rather than an intellectual exercise, it's more of an observational one. I am positive that the marketing team, during playtests, had idiots come in and get frustrated when they actually made a challenging puzzle, and so they kept dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator crowd until the element of challenge was nearly all gone.

The gels could have been fun. They weren't. They were poorly introduced and then sort of slopped about levels rather than intelligently integrated into the game. It was a fun concept that panned out poorly in practice.

Then we have the horrible parts of the writing-- basically, whenever the authors attempt to step outside of the bounds of the original and try to make GLaDOS a sympathetic character or "deepen" GLaDOS. It backfires horribly and undermines her core character rather than reinforcing it. The ending manages to salvage this a little, but it still was a very disappointing failure on the part of the writing staff. The obviously predictable "twist: was the worst part of the game. And the hammering in of certain lines "HE WAS PROGRAMMED TO BE AN IDIOT." "DID I TELL YOU HE WAS PROGRAMMED TO BE A MORON." "HE IS A MORON, DO YOU GET IT". Was absolutely painful. It betrays the most important maxim of writing "Show. Don't tell." The entire writing staff should understand that they failed to create a compelling story here. They could have salvaged this easily if they had just considered this: There is something more dangerous than a genius trying to kill you. It is an idiot trying to save you, particularly when the idiot has access to lasers, spikes, buttons, and an entire gadget factory.

The ending, as mentioned, makes up for some of the failings of the game and manages to give us a pleasant send off. However, it's not worth anything more than $30 and they would have made a better game if less Marketing people were involved. The original Portal was good because it was actually brave-- if you couldn't figure out a puzzle the game wasn't going to dumb it down. It actually respected the player's intelligence. This one didn't. At all.

All in all I give the game a 7.6. The original Portal was original. Rather than stand on the shoulder of giants and make something incredible, this game simply puts a hat on something that was already good.
  73. May 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Funny character design, some test chambers design is amazing, particularly the old and you find the true guys to dub. But the difficulty is too simple, i guest these chambers is for testing animals more than humans. The length is another flaw of it, it doesn't matter if price is lower than $30. Totally, valve, you have done a good job. Expand
  74. dos
    May 3, 2011
    Absolutely great sequel to absolutely great Portal. You'll fall in love with characters, story, Aperture-based background and plot points changing everything. Single player: 10/10 Co-op: 10/10 Final score: 10/10 :)
  75. May 2, 2011
    Before i start my review i have to say i'm dissapointed to find out how many STUPID people are out there saying theres DLC that costs over 50 euros, this "DLC" that people call are simple hats,skins and gestures for your co-op charatcer THEY DO NOT EFFECT GAMEPLAY AT ALL. DLC has been announced by valve for this summer it will feature new SP,CO OP and Chalange levels for FREE. Ok now timeBefore i start my review i have to say i'm dissapointed to find out how many STUPID people are out there saying theres DLC that costs over 50 euros, this "DLC" that people call are simple hats,skins and gestures for your co-op charatcer THEY DO NOT EFFECT GAMEPLAY AT ALL. DLC has been announced by valve for this summer it will feature new SP,CO OP and Chalange levels for FREE. Ok now time for my review, the game has brilliant voice acting and writing, the graphics are not shockingly good(but Still VERY GOOD) but once you check behinde the retail box and find out then this game could run on max settings with 6 year old PC you'll be shocked then valve managed to squeze out so much power from their old 2004 source engine, valve could probably make their old Gold engine look next gen. The SP in the game is 7-8 h long and the Co-Op is around 4 h, both game modes have their own story,characters and hilarious dialog. The game has one of the best endings i've seen in a videogame for a very very looooong time. So my final words are BUY THIS GAME, you won't regret it at all, ignore the stupid negative reviews which are probably just plain trolls. Expand
  76. May 2, 2011
    One of the best valve games ever , it has met my expectations with a bang and really shows that valve has what it takes to be right up there Graphics are fantastic cant see how any body with a brain can put this game down
  77. May 3, 2011
    Portal 2 is the best puzzle game I have ever played (though I don't play many). It's amazing from start to finish, with it's great humour and mind bending puzzles.

Portal 2 also includes a co-op mode which is just as good as the single player. The co-op puzzles can get quite difficult whilst using 4 portals, lasers, gels and more.. Portal 2 is the best game of it's type so far this

Portal 2 is the best game of it's type so far this year, or possibly the past 4 years, with great characters, dialog and fantastic plot.
  78. May 5, 2011
    An essential addition to any gamer's collection. I found the game highly enjoyable in all aspects (sound, graphics, story, play) but one: my partner-in-crime and I could've finished the vast majority of co-op mode without the other if it weren't for the fact that we needed the other to step on a button or two. However, this didn't really detract from our overall enjoyment of both playAn essential addition to any gamer's collection. I found the game highly enjoyable in all aspects (sound, graphics, story, play) but one: my partner-in-crime and I could've finished the vast majority of co-op mode without the other if it weren't for the fact that we needed the other to step on a button or two. However, this didn't really detract from our overall enjoyment of both play modes, and the 25 hours I've logged so far are just the beginning. Expand
  79. May 5, 2011
    What an amazing game, truly this is another masterpiece coming from Valve. A true sequel, though not as surprisingly delicious as the first Portal, but that's because expectations where WAY high. It's not easy to compete when a game is being compared to the original portal, but even with that in mind Valve did a great job creating this sequel. Fans will not be disappointed. The lack ofWhat an amazing game, truly this is another masterpiece coming from Valve. A true sequel, though not as surprisingly delicious as the first Portal, but that's because expectations where WAY high. It's not easy to compete when a game is being compared to the original portal, but even with that in mind Valve did a great job creating this sequel. Fans will not be disappointed. The lack of challenges will be fixed soon with a FREE-for-all-consoles (yes, including xBox) update. I love you Valve! Expand
  80. May 5, 2011
    The quality of the game is simply amazing, the storyline is well made, the graphics are nice, the gameplay is outstanding. Valve sure knows how to make awesome video games. 10 / 10 !
  81. Jun 17, 2011
    I have only 1 complaint, it felt short. Even with the co-op. But it was a joy to play, hilariously funny, and fairly unique (other than the obvious---you know, the portals). Once you've finished it I'd recommend going through the levels and listening to the developer commentary. There are some very interesting tidbits in there. Also, the Final Hours of Portal 2 (on the iPad) sheds aI have only 1 complaint, it felt short. Even with the co-op. But it was a joy to play, hilariously funny, and fairly unique (other than the obvious---you know, the portals). Once you've finished it I'd recommend going through the levels and listening to the developer commentary. There are some very interesting tidbits in there. Also, the Final Hours of Portal 2 (on the iPad) sheds a lot of light on how original game play, new game play elements, and the story came together...almost at the last minute; plus some hints some possible new IP from Value. Expand
  82. May 5, 2011
    Very fun game, Funny character's, Great Story, but a little short for my taste. Still a great hit. It really can make you feel smart when you complete a level, but make's you feel dumb when if you get stuck for a few min's longer than you should have. One downfall, not bad enough to make my score change, but add more puzzle missions, just for fun, ya know they should have made moreVery fun game, Funny character's, Great Story, but a little short for my taste. Still a great hit. It really can make you feel smart when you complete a level, but make's you feel dumb when if you get stuck for a few min's longer than you should have. One downfall, not bad enough to make my score change, but add more puzzle missions, just for fun, ya know they should have made more Test's you could do, not for the main story. They did a great job with Co-op, play PC with PS3, to bad they didn't make a solo style one also, like campaign but without the story. Expand
  83. May 6, 2011
    The people rating this game low are wrong. Objectively. Look, I'm usually the first to say that art is subjective, and opinions are opinions, but you are wrong here.

First, the difficulty - of *course* Portal 2 felt easier. Go back and play Portal again. See how easy it is now? In fact, playing Portal again is very instructive, because it highlights just how much of an improvement Portal 2 is. Half of the difficulty in Portal was learning to 'think with Portals' - it was the underlying game mechanic that made it difficult. Once the novelty wears off, of course things are easier.

Portal worked because it had a tight focus and a deep sense of isolation - there were only 5 characters (depending on how you define characters - Rat Man, Chell, GLADoS, Turret(s), and Companion Cube), only one was human, and that was fantastic. But the sequel is funnier. It has better writing and direction throughout. More variety in the puzzles and environments.

It is a very different game, but if Valve had just made 'another Portal', it would have felt like a hollow sequel. They instead tried new things, both with the puzzles and with the narrative. The listened to the old advice of innovate or die.

Now, for the DLC criticisms. Please read this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8819-Experienced-Points-DLC-for-Dummies
  84. May 7, 2011
    This is a great game, I LOVE IT! The characters fit with the game, and it seems like revenge from Portal 1. There's many mysterious events in this game that completely changed the entire game! I don't like to give spoilers, but while you play this game, you won't believe how much the game changes while you're through the game. From time to time, the characters change, Everything goesThis is a great game, I LOVE IT! The characters fit with the game, and it seems like revenge from Portal 1. There's many mysterious events in this game that completely changed the entire game! I don't like to give spoilers, but while you play this game, you won't believe how much the game changes while you're through the game. From time to time, the characters change, Everything goes completely different, after a while the game gets confusing and a TRUE puzzle. Most people say its quick, because a lot of people press "alt, tab", go on youtube, and watch the tutorial, then it takes less than 5 minutes. The game is a lot more fun when you don't go on videos to cheat, watch spoilers, and much more to ruin this game. Ok, so anyway. These puzzles are outstanding, the maps are great and the obstacle courses are unbelievable! Your mind will be blown at the begining of this gameplay if you buy this game. So, If you haven't bought it yet, It's totally worth the money! Expand
  85. May 7, 2011
    The most enjoyable 6 hours of gaming I've had in years. The puzzles were balanced pretty much perfectly, the dialogue writing was funny, and the visuals are stunning. What else can you ask for? Eagerly waiting to try out the co-op mode next.
  86. May 8, 2011
    Portal 2 is a new fresh addition to the game-world of today, when I think of none-violence games that really made it Portal and the Sims are the only ones that comes to mind. Like it's predecessor Portal (1), Portal 2 is a puzzle based game played out with portals with a sense of humor. The game is great and well thought through, although the Singelplayer missions miss the "magic" thatPortal 2 is a new fresh addition to the game-world of today, when I think of none-violence games that really made it Portal and the Sims are the only ones that comes to mind. Like it's predecessor Portal (1), Portal 2 is a puzzle based game played out with portals with a sense of humor. The game is great and well thought through, although the Singelplayer missions miss the "magic" that Portal (1) had, but that is gained in the new co-op mode. The only thing that brings it down is that it's not Portal (1), and that's it's only flaw. It's not easy to be the sequel to what can possibly be the best game ever made. 10/10 Expand
  87. May 8, 2011
    I think that this game could be much better if the developers paid more attention to a single game, not multiplayer. The desire of developers to create multiplayer games sometimes adversely affects the quality singles. This trend has recently intensified. The more recent statement Valve refusal to make the game singleplayer game embraced with cautious cold.
  88. May 11, 2011
    Portal 3? perhaps our hero will run into Morgan Freeman in her visit to the outside world, She could get him past locked doors, he can save her from those nasty head humpers. OK maybe not, but Portal 2 single player COULD have been more challenging, but overall is was very entertaining, and the multi player is hilariously fun, although i think my friend mashed me in the first door a fewPortal 3? perhaps our hero will run into Morgan Freeman in her visit to the outside world, She could get him past locked doors, he can save her from those nasty head humpers. OK maybe not, but Portal 2 single player COULD have been more challenging, but overall is was very entertaining, and the multi player is hilariously fun, although i think my friend mashed me in the first door a few TOO many times, but that's OK I got him back with a ninja portal to the abyss. Expand
  89. May 11, 2011
    Massive Gameplay with new complexity due to the new elements but less difficulty!
    The Story and the Dialogues hide the lack of difficulty and length well.

The Coop-Mode is the biggest innovation in the Sequel but, again, it is too short! I loved every millisecond of this Game
  90. May 13, 2011

Extended review about this great game. No spoilers, some teary moments. Enjoy my friends.
  91. May 13, 2011
    Portal 2 has become one of my favorite games of all time and will probably be runner up only to Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim for my favorite game of the year. The levels were innovative and challenging enough to make me think but not get aggravated and predictably Portal 2 had me laughing all the way to the end or the credits. Also, I don't understand why a bunch idiots gave Portal 2 a badPortal 2 has become one of my favorite games of all time and will probably be runner up only to Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim for my favorite game of the year. The levels were innovative and challenging enough to make me think but not get aggravated and predictably Portal 2 had me laughing all the way to the end or the credits. Also, I don't understand why a bunch idiots gave Portal 2 a bad review because it was too short. One could easily rack up over 20 hours with single player, coop, and the developer commentary. Just because you're forever alone, have no friends to play coop, and the single player (half the game) is not long enough for you doesn't make it a bad game. Climb out of your basement and socialize with other meat bags. Expand
  92. May 13, 2011
    It's true to say this isn't the longest game in the world, coming in at about 8-9hrs for single player alone. This is however, the best 9hrs I have spent playing a video game in a long long time, if ever. This isn't just a fun way to kill 9hrs. This is the kind of game that has you gripped from the moment you make your first move. This game is filled with moments that will just blow youIt's true to say this isn't the longest game in the world, coming in at about 8-9hrs for single player alone. This is however, the best 9hrs I have spent playing a video game in a long long time, if ever. This isn't just a fun way to kill 9hrs. This is the kind of game that has you gripped from the moment you make your first move. This game is filled with moments that will just blow you away.

Personally, I wouldn't ask for it to be any longer. It's length is perfect for the story that is told. If I had to recommend a Valve game to a friend I'd choose this. Over Portal 1, over Team Fortress, yes even over Half-life 2. This is valve at their best. They've taken gameplay and turned it into an art form that is nigh on perfect.

When a game is this good, who can blame people for wanting more?
  93. May 13, 2011
    I really enjoyed the sequal to one of my most favorite games of all time. I do think that some reviews on here are, however poorly done.
    The gameplay is still the same as the first Portal, it is still difficult in some parts, requiring some thought (this isn't for those FPS-minded people). The story is wonderful and hilarious, Cave Johnson being a comical character as well as Wheatley, but who could still forget GlaDOS's cruel speeches, one of the things that made the first Portal so wonderful.
    I just have a hard time thinking of any cons, I was able to get this game for $30, and I find the price totally justified. One thing that Valve does so well and that some reviewers seem to not take into mind is the massive customization of their games. All of their games have custom maps, mods, and the like, and with such a big community (and websites just dedicated to this stuff), the games are easily replayable years later. Another thing I noticed is about the DLC, I think people are overreacting to it, its no different to Team Fortress 2's system as in you don't need it to beat the game, its just for aesthetic purposes, it does not mean they will start charging you to do certain things (how do people get these ideas?).

As for being a console port, I fail to see how it is a console port as the PC version is the best version to get as you get free patches and extremely easy access to custom content. If its graphics, their not trying to create Graphic-intense games (Although they still look good). And there are hardly any bugs that I have seen that distracts from gameplay.
  94. May 15, 2011
    It's impossible to give a note from this game different from 10.Its perfect in every detail and really drags you into it...Amazing!Perfect!Sublime!Simply the best Valve game ever.
  95. May 16, 2011
    I giving this one a 8. My only complaint is that it was too short for the price point. The game play was excellent for the time it took me to get through it. It was the interactive logic puzzle that I have come to love about this series. The story on this one took me a little while to get sucked in to. By the time I was doe I wanted more.
  96. May 16, 2011
    Portal 2 is a unique puzzle/adventure game! it is full of great set pieces, and some of the most memorable moments in gaming history, and also dont forget the hilarious humor Portal 2 has to offer! Please check out our full Portal 2 review! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOswzF-i6mQ
  97. May 16, 2011
    This game is action packed, not only that it has a great story to it and it keeps you on the edge of your seat always wanting more. The graphics are stunning and it plays tricks with your mind its a brain teaser and makes you think. I like the fact its linked through my PS3 through steam so I can continue on either platform. If you want a great game that is alot of fun and begs you to keepThis game is action packed, not only that it has a great story to it and it keeps you on the edge of your seat always wanting more. The graphics are stunning and it plays tricks with your mind its a brain teaser and makes you think. I like the fact its linked through my PS3 through steam so I can continue on either platform. If you want a great game that is alot of fun and begs you to keep playing it I highly recommend this game to anyone.

Thanks

ucjohn
  98. May 17, 2011
    Perfect, this game is a ten. The reason I bought this game was for the campaign and it definitely delivered after having to fill some pretty big shoes left by Portal 1. Over the past couple years, I have played through Portal several times and have a strong feeling Portal 2 will offer then same incentive. The voice acting and characters in this iteration of Portal shine as you work yourPerfect, this game is a ten. The reason I bought this game was for the campaign and it definitely delivered after having to fill some pretty big shoes left by Portal 1. Over the past couple years, I have played through Portal several times and have a strong feeling Portal 2 will offer then same incentive. The voice acting and characters in this iteration of Portal shine as you work your way through the different puzzle rooms. Portal 2 offers a great combination of platforming challenge and storytelling. It is a ton of fun figuring out where to place your portals while listening to the witty banter from the characters around you.

I would recommend Portal to anyone who really doesn't play video games and now there is another recommendation, Portal 2.
  99. May 17, 2011
    Great Game! About twice as long as the first one and it played very well. The story was new and not completely predictable. They added new game play elements that were great and the coop was even better! For everyone that marked this game down for all the day one DLC, the DLC was only costumes. Who really wants the costumes anyways? All in All, I loved this game!
  100. Jun 15, 2011
    I loved Portal... I really did. And I love Portal 2 even more! From cynical little english robot to GlaDOS made into a potato. Whoever invented the thing with the liquids should be prasied. I had fun and can say that the CO-OP is the ONLY real co-op in today's games. The need of thinking in team and solve puzzles is just awesome and practically really hard without a voice chat. I applaudI loved Portal... I really did. And I love Portal 2 even more! From cynical little english robot to GlaDOS made into a potato. Whoever invented the thing with the liquids should be prasied. I had fun and can say that the CO-OP is the ONLY real co-op in today's games. The need of thinking in team and solve puzzles is just awesome and practically really hard without a voice chat. I applaud Valve. 10.0 :D

p.s.: Do not mind that it is a bit overpriced! It is certainly worth the price :)

1. Oct 20, 2011