9.0

1. Apr 25, 2011
    The story in Portal 2 is fantastic but the puzzles offer little challenge and the game only offers about 7 hours of gameplay, MUCH too short for a $50 game. If Valve had just stuck more puzzles (and harder ones, at that) in between all the amazing story segments this title would be approaching perfection.

So much potential, wasted.
  2. May 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give 10 to Portal but only 6 to Portal 2. Why? "My way or highway" is the formula of Portal 2 gameplay.

The player has no freedom of choice, the line from start to end does not interweave. The solutions are clever but are the only ones.

Plus I did not feel that unique atmosphere and environment of Portal. I liked Aperture Science much more than (spoiler!) the caves.
  3. May 27, 2011
    There are people in the green and in the red with great points about the game. From the green, I will agree that it is a great game. It is very fun, I had a lot of fun replaying it, getting the achievements, and going back to listen to the conversations that you miss on the first play through. The multiplayer is fun (my friend and I actually played it before we played the singleplayerThere are people in the green and in the red with great points about the game. From the green, I will agree that it is a great game. It is very fun, I had a lot of fun replaying it, getting the achievements, and going back to listen to the conversations that you miss on the first play through. The multiplayer is fun (my friend and I actually played it before we played the singleplayer campaign and it didn't ruin the game). The story of multiplayer isn't strong, but it doesn't have to be because the puzzles are quite fun and you're playing with/against a partner. The game is bugless, as far as I can tell.
    That being said, the single player campaign is far too easy/short. Of the 6 hours I spent on the first run through, (the multiplayer took 5 hours the night before) I'd say that about an hour was spent in cinematic, meaning that I only spent 5 hours actually playing it. Thus the score of 6. The game is a lot of fun, the flavor pieces are brilliant and the game is clean, and they did a great job making sure it wasn't the exact same game as last time. Unfortunately, the game is a bit short and the puzzles are quite easy. Hopefully the map creator on steam will inspire the community to create challenge maps and interesting puzzles, but we'll see what happens. I think this game is a 10 at 20 dollars, but doesn't live up to the price tag it carries.
  4. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good story, only good game. And this "loading screens" often and often - is this game can use RAM or is developed for calculators?
  5. Jun 12, 2011
    Too short, too simple, too dumb, too linear. Very irritating. In comparison to Portal 1, there is no improvements at all, menu, settings, graphics, sound, puzzles, story, or way you move, way a portal appear or is controlled are all broken. Even physics is broken. You cannot even kill itself, as there are lots of invisible walls in silly places preventing you from doing this.
  6. Jul 16, 2011
    I had a great time with the original portal and overall the second has disappointed me a little. At least with the first one there was some skill involved in hitting your portals that you placed, Now you practically get funnelled into the portal. I enjoyed wheatleys comic relief but overall it became a little annoying and personally I think they should have left. I certainly hope thereI had a great time with the original portal and overall the second has disappointed me a little. At least with the first one there was some skill involved in hitting your portals that you placed, Now you practically get funnelled into the portal. I enjoyed wheatleys comic relief but overall it became a little annoying and personally I think they should have left. I certainly hope there are some advanced maps like in portal 1 because some of those were really challenging and I loved the time trials and the take only this many steps part. Expand
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    Can't exactly pinpoint why I wasn't happy with this game when I did enjoy Portal. But I guess sequels rarely ever do well.

Although it is fair to say that I was expecting more out of single player. Total game play adds up to about 4 hours, 3 if you're quick and maybe 6 if you're not the type to pick up on things fast. The Portal series to me should be very single player focused. Unfortunately Valve has gone with the popular notion that a game can be carried by it's multiplayer component. NOW this can be true for FPSes like BC2, but a game like Portal where puzzle platforming is core gameplay does not hold to this principle. Now that being said. The game itself was a good, great voice acting too. Although the quality is somewhat lacking compared to the original, it seems more like an homage to the first Portal rather than a sequel. As for the score, I would've given it a 8 or a 9 if not for the blatant marketing ploys. A 4 hour game costing a good $50 is already pushing it but did they really have to push back a release date just to pressure sales on other games? And cash shop too, on the first day of release. That is funny and a bit tragic at the same time. Because up until 2 years ago Valve was still the shining beacon in the mire that is the game industry. Now it's just the same as the others, how naive of me to think it could be different!
  8. Feb 11, 2014
    I only would like to know why is this game a perfect game. wow . A robot jumping in holes . A laberinty square game. i didnt finish it . Why is the game of the year ? maybe the money ? Who knows? I prefer tetrix
  9. Apr 28, 2011
    The dissapointment felt at playing this game is probably made greater by the fact that games of an excellent quality are expected from Valve. The problem with Portal 2 is that it does not have that perfect feeling that accompanies other Valve titles. The original Portal was an amazing game, sadly I feel that Portal 2 is more eratic and less focused than it's predecessor, and although aThe dissapointment felt at playing this game is probably made greater by the fact that games of an excellent quality are expected from Valve. The problem with Portal 2 is that it does not have that perfect feeling that accompanies other Valve titles. The original Portal was an amazing game, sadly I feel that Portal 2 is more eratic and less focused than it's predecessor, and although a good game by todays standards I do not feel that it has done Valve justice. I also feel that the price-length ratio is terrible, for such a short game the price tag was very high. Expand
  10. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite all the build up buzz... this game is mediocre for a valve game, sure they've expanded on the original, but the campaign and co-op modes wont even last a day before completion...shame but to add insult to injury they chuck a tonne of DLCs for money on day of release.... all of which should have been bundled with it in the first instance... sorry paid DLCs need to be more thanDespite all the build up buzz... this game is mediocre for a valve game, sure they've expanded on the original, but the campaign and co-op modes wont even last a day before completion...shame but to add insult to injury they chuck a tonne of DLCs for money on day of release.... all of which should have been bundled with it in the first instance... sorry paid DLCs need to be more than cosmetic and the game is waaaaaaay to short. Expand
  11. Apr 23, 2011
    A cheap console port. DLC from the start and highly priced. Pretty much valves worst game yet because of this but the game it'self is good but short.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    A week before the game was even released, I was spoiled to the ending. So that, immediately, messed with my ability to enjoy the game. But anyways, there were a few problems with Portal 2. I felt like the price was unjustified - but, well, that price was normal for Valve games, so I accepted it. When I played, however, the price became a clear mistake in my eyes. The campaign was no moreA week before the game was even released, I was spoiled to the ending. So that, immediately, messed with my ability to enjoy the game. But anyways, there were a few problems with Portal 2. I felt like the price was unjustified - but, well, that price was normal for Valve games, so I accepted it. When I played, however, the price became a clear mistake in my eyes. The campaign was no more than 6 hours long, and the Multiplayer was bogged down by Day 1 content that shouldn't have been cut from the game for the sake of packaging it, and trying to sell it as a separate item. This game got so much hype - with the potato collecting, to trying to power up by playing certain games. It just felt like a massive let down, as well as a massive spit in the face from Robin and Gabe. Remember when Robin said they weren't trying to "nickel-and-dime" their player base? I suppose the campaign was enjoyable. But as game about puzzles and portal, the Singleplayer has no real replayability. I can admire the cross-platform access, but once you beat the main game, the only thing left for you is a Multiplayer that's tainted by Valve's attempts at more money. Expand
  13. Jul 20, 2011
    This is a great game. If you are on a Mac be aware that there are two bugs (swinging walls with no passage and portal in another wall that doesn't take) at the beginning of Chapter 5 that prevents moving forward. You need the cheat (contact Steam or get the online cheat commands because they don't know why it is happening) to move through the wall so you can progress further. If you don'tThis is a great game. If you are on a Mac be aware that there are two bugs (swinging walls with no passage and portal in another wall that doesn't take) at the beginning of Chapter 5 that prevents moving forward. You need the cheat (contact Steam or get the online cheat commands because they don't know why it is happening) to move through the wall so you can progress further. If you don't know this can be very frustrating, took me 3 weeks to get past this point. Expand
  14. Jan 6, 2012
    How can this be game of the year in so many peoples eyes. Its too similar to the first game.
    The first game was decent as it was original and I managed to get it for free.
    Overall this is just disappointing.
  15. Apr 30, 2011
    Macht doch bitte mal die Augen auf!
    Langsam nimmt das Ganze AusmaÃ
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    cute sayings (6), nice logic tasks (8), relatively good graphics (7) constant load (2) a punishment for a fast thinker. Especially at the beginning where you basically run through, not even pressed every 2 min charging time enjoy the game into bottomless
  17. Sep 13, 2011
    Some people get Portal. I don't. I don't find it entertaining. It gets boring really fast. Perhaps it's the amazing start - too amazing to fit the rest of the game.
  18. Oct 5, 2011
    I've beat both Portal and Portal 2. Portal 1 is ok, and my favourite of the 2. Portal 2 is pretty boring, tedious, and is extremely drawn out for what it is. The hype surrounding this game is just that... hype.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    If this is the game of the year, then it definitely is a bad year for games.
    i could see how this game could be challenging and funny to 10 year olds,
    but for adult gamers its just too easy and childish in its execution, don't believe the hype, its an ok game but nothing to get excited about. the singleplayer part is worth around 4-5 hours of gaming , after solving the puzzles
    If this is the game of the year, then it definitely is a bad year for games.
    i could see how this game could be challenging and funny to 10 year olds,
    but for adult gamers its just too easy and childish in its execution,
    don't believe the hype, its an ok game but nothing to get excited about.

the singleplayer part is worth around 4-5 hours of gaming , after solving the puzzles there's no point in playing through them again, so the replayability is lacking.
    i haven't tried the multiplayer coop yet but hope this offers some redeeming qualities.

i'm giving this a 1 only to bring the unrealistic score caused by valve fanboys down to earth,
    my actual rating would be around a 6

Pros:
    - some new gameplay elements
    - occasional funny lines - ok graphics
    - slightly longer than portal 1 - new different areas/settings

cons:
    - The game was dumbed down, much easier than part 1 despite the new gameplay elements, which is a shame - the game tries to hard to be funny, trying to turn every line in a joke, often without being humorous
    (a little subtlety would have been better)
    - stephen merchant gets annoying in his role of robot orb.
    - story is lacking really, one dimensional, predictable without much depth.
    - Music sounds amateurish
    - too many loading screens.
    - occasional crashes
  20. Apr 21, 2011
    very unimpressed so far. paid way too much for just a short game, expected more game time for such a high price. The cash shop (day 1 DLC) pretty much sealed the deal for me. Big letdown from Valve.
  21. Apr 25, 2011
    Fairly uninspired. Co-op is ill advised, and single player is short and not worth the asking price. Ending was weak, and the middle managed to drag even when the game is only 3 hours long.
  22. Sep 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is almost outstanding with some crucial technical flaws that gave this game rating a four for me. First, the game rating would have been retained as "T for Teen" since adventure and violence are too intense for young children. Second, one level in one map loading at a time makes a lot of players knew it was a ported PC game from the video console. Third, the story is great with some laughs, but redundant drama isn't making a good sense of keeping up the gameplay. Fourth, the SP game campaign is as long as any recent Call of Duty game with a "not-so-worth it" regular price. The co-op campaign was a great addition but having 100+ levels of puzzles and having additional DLC and MP features would have secured a outstanding deal out of this game. I loved the graphics with its recent engine but overall the best game by Valve is always the first Half-Life game, period. Expand
  23. Apr 25, 2011
    Basically in Portal 2 you're spending $60 for a poorly done console port. The puzzles aren't horribly challenging and the game engine Value has been using since Half-Life 2 is starting to show its age despite all spit polish the developers have rubbed on it. Graphically it looks remarkably like Left 4 Dead, and I swear they're actually repeating textures used in that game. At best thisBasically in Portal 2 you're spending $60 for a poorly done console port. The puzzles aren't horribly challenging and the game engine Value has been using since Half-Life 2 is starting to show its age despite all spit polish the developers have rubbed on it. Graphically it looks remarkably like Left 4 Dead, and I swear they're actually repeating textures used in that game. At best this game is worth $24.99 and not a penny more. Expand
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    I thought it was OK. I didn't play the original Portal until 2009 and I loved every minute of it. Portal 2 seems unfinished - or a rushed game to apease the fan base. (This is a PC review - all settings on max 1080p)

What's cool: GLaDOS. She's mean, she wants revenge, she doesn't really like you..at all. I liked this. Although the narrative was weak you still felt sort of involved. It's also funny - she calls you fat.. a lot.

The Puzzles. Smart and pretty innovated - this is what the game is about. Challenging but not rocket science/CERN type challenging. Very polished.

Music. I didn't notice the music in the first game at all but in Portal 2 it's great and well executed.

What's not so cool:

LOADING SCREENS!! Ahh!! It's 2011 and I guess the Source Engine hasn't been updated since Half-Life 2. The loading screens take you out of the action, out of the moment. This also limits GLaDOS' narrative as she is limited to a 4-6 second sentence as you walk from the gate to the elevator. There is A LOT of loading screens, a lot. Did I mention there's a lot of loading screens? Bad Valve.

Graphics. The trailer/commercials show the two robots looking awesome and detailed and the foliage/environment is so awesome and creative...and they are..just don't walk up to them. The textures (up close) resemble graphics from 2004 (**I'll note this seems to be the norm in games these days, Crysis 2 has the same problem, what gives?!). Next time you're in the elevator look at the little sticker. You'll know what I mean. Value. As much fun this game is, it's not worth the MSPR price of $59.99. I do understand that the price is probably for PS3 and XBOX but I feel bad for you guys. I got the game for $44 with the pre order. Is it worth that much? Not really. Maybe $19-$29. Heres why. You don't get a lot of bang for your buck. It's a short but fun game. After the co-op, theres little incentive to keep playing. No online multiplayer sucks. Think of what they could have done. A $60 game without multiplayer seems a bit steep (I do understand a lot people don't care for it, but still -whats there to do after single player?)

DLC. I don't buy DLC, I don't think I'll ever buy DLC. Why on earth would I pay $14 for 30mins of extra play, Insane. I realize theres a lot of DLC available after launch and I get that. Valve SELLS games and DLC. Was it professional to release DLC right after the game? I wouldn't. DLC after launch is like saying "Yeah, we could have included this in the final version but...we didn't. We want more money. It's not about the gamer it's about earnings." The old Valve wasn't like that. But then again, most companies adhere to this strategy, sadly.

So all in all, I give it a 5/10. It's fun, short and theres little replay value. Hence it's not worth $49-$59. I'm sure there will be a sale sooner or later. Id wait for that.
  25. May 21, 2011
    The game's art is beautifully done, but in terms of difficulty, it;s much easier than the first one. I finished the game in 5 hours, finding all the hidden things and dens.

Many tests are basically just find the patch of white wall now. The length of this game in relation to its price is simply atrocious. The length is less than half of what a normal game length should be. Its less than

Many tests are basically just find the patch of white wall now.

The length of this game in relation to its price is simply atrocious. The length is less than half of what a normal game length should be. Its less than a third. Therefore I'll divide my score by 3.
  26. May 14, 2011
    How long Valve will create games using 7 years old source engine ? High price for an old looking game and shameless console port, is nothing more than a joke.
  27. May 29, 2011
    A totally overrated game. What I couldn't stand was the annoying characters and some of the really stupid dialogue lines. Everything else was pretty much below average. Piece of trash game!
  28. Apr 25, 2011
    Normally I would not rate a game, any game, especially a Valve game, this low, but the crazy people rating this game a 10 need an offset. First off, let me say I LOVED the original Portal. As much as I loved my purchase of Orange Box, Portal, the little addon, was my favorite part of it. I still go back and play it now and again. Now, with this poorly executed console port known asNormally I would not rate a game, any game, especially a Valve game, this low, but the crazy people rating this game a 10 need an offset. First off, let me say I LOVED the original Portal. As much as I loved my purchase of Orange Box, Portal, the little addon, was my favorite part of it. I still go back and play it now and again. Now, with this poorly executed console port known as Portal 2, I have my first ever disappointment from Valve.
    While the game was not terrible by any means, it was just... Lacking... The voice acting is ok. The characters are ok. None of it was outstanding. However, the level development is where the game really goes south. NONE of the levels took more than one or two tries to complete. At the current price point this game is a HUGE waste of money. The fact that they are on day ONE charging people for DLC just shows that Valve has succumbed to the greedy views of other game companies.
    Porting Portal 2 from the console to the PC was bad. Just bad. You now no longer need to "aim" yourself into a portal. You sorta just get auto piloted into them. The puzzles are so easy because, well, there is no where to place a portal except in the correct spot. Where there is not a correct spot, there is some of the white stuff to make the right spot. With the addition of the light bridges, blue and orange gells, there could be sooooooo much more and better level design.
    Most of the levels are simple minded click here click there win designs. You don't even get into the new gels until most of the VERY short game is over.
    I played through the entire game in half a day casually. I was expecting to get at least a couple of days of play out of it. I was sorely disappointed. The "rat in a maze" feeling I got from this game left a very sour taste in my mouth for Valve...
    The ending... wow, what a let down...
  29. Jul 26, 2011
    the game is so easy that to finish it within hours, the game have not bugs that true, but the gameplay is boring and easy, only need to seach points for passing level. i also dislike the voices xD
  30. Sep 5, 2013
    SPROGGER you're an idiot. Nothing to add. What a retarded. I don't understand useless idiots like you, stop bashing great game you retarded. I'm glad that you aren't a professional reviewer because you don't have the intelligence.
  31. Jun 1, 2011
    The game play was excellent, top notch as expected.
    The story was lame, no mystery in it at all, blunt and crazy and somehow still in the Half-Life universe. Really lame writing, not realistic or believable in any sense. Its almost like a fan-fic a 10 year old wrote. Far too much dialog and the characters are written for fanboy's(and fangirl's).
    The graphics were great, not top notch break
    The game play was excellent, top notch as expected.
    The graphics were great, not top notch break your computer amazing but it didn't disappoint.
    The load screens were frequent but short.
    The length is short, REALLY short. If you want to play co-op (I don't care about co-op) than it goes from extremely short to really short.
    The Replay value is 0. I found some invisible walls/pushing entities that just make me mad, let me play my game, if I want to die in some spectacular way, let me.

Overall this game is like a very very delicious Filet Mignon that may have been slightly overcooked. Its delicious and I really enjoyed it, but there are better things to spend $50 on.

At the end of the day I find myself enjoying the steak sample Ihad years ago in Portal 1 which left me salivating for me. This game left me with a strange aftertaste and a thinner wallet.
  32. Apr 23, 2011
    I cannot believe the people who complain about the length of Portal 2. I have played sooo many hours of the original and consider myself pretty good at thinking with portals. I timed myself and beat Portal 1 in 1 hour and 5 minutes. Portal 2's single player took me 3 nights of solid 4 hour chunks. Great content the entire time, hilarious, original, and with awesome puzzles. The newI cannot believe the people who complain about the length of Portal 2. I have played sooo many hours of the original and consider myself pretty good at thinking with portals. I timed myself and beat Portal 1 in 1 hour and 5 minutes. Portal 2's single player took me 3 nights of solid 4 hour chunks. Great content the entire time, hilarious, original, and with awesome puzzles. The new gameplay elements like the gels, light bridges, excursion funnels, aerial faith plates, etc. add a lot of cool new stuff to the puzzles. I would love to see some awesome DLC or User Created Content. The only reason I don't give this game a 10/10 is that there is a considerable amount of loading but not so much as to hinder the story and experience very much. Expand
  33. Jul 1, 2011
    A worthy sequel, that sums it all up. The biggest complaint I have is the humor is more low-brow rather than dark and ironic like Portal 1 was. Still...it's a must-play. Valve has put out an incredibly polished and enjoyable game here. Oh, and Cave Johnson totally steals the show!
  34. Jul 19, 2011
    In many ways it's a lot better than the first Portal.. though it does seem a bit easier on certain levels.. The game's story is crazy and fun! ...and once you think the game is gonna be over... its NOT!! :) Humorous characters and gameplay & the cool new mechanics such as the 'crazy fluids' and shifting environments makes this game that much more Fun!! Co-op mode is very fun and at manyIn many ways it's a lot better than the first Portal.. though it does seem a bit easier on certain levels.. The game's story is crazy and fun! ...and once you think the game is gonna be over... its NOT!! :) Humorous characters and gameplay & the cool new mechanics such as the 'crazy fluids' and shifting environments makes this game that much more Fun!! Co-op mode is very fun and at many times very hilarious!! Performance is really smooth! Portal 2 is a QUADRILLION times better & more appropriate than those mindless & primitive shoot-em-up games such as those pointless duke nukems' or left4dead, those kind suck!!!... anyway, A puzzle game which can test cognitive(intellectual) skills is a game much worthwhile!! A++ for Portal 2 ! I really want to see a Portal 3 in about 2 years!!! Expand
  35. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is nothing short of excellent. My main concern with the reviews I've seen on here is people calling the game short or "slightly longer than the first Portal." I beg to differ. Portal 1 takes about 45 minutes- 1 hour to beat. Portal 2 takes a good 4-5 hours to beat. I'd say that's a pretty substantial increase. The new puzzles are exponentially more difficult than those inThis game is nothing short of excellent. My main concern with the reviews I've seen on here is people calling the game short or "slightly longer than the first Portal." I beg to differ. Portal 1 takes about 45 minutes- 1 hour to beat. Portal 2 takes a good 4-5 hours to beat. I'd say that's a pretty substantial increase. The new puzzles are exponentially more difficult than those in Portal 1. The new game elements like the gels and faith plates are awesome. They add so much to the game. The storyline is great, and there are a ton of easter eggs that most people skip over (for example, when you're passing the science experiments, the one with the giant plant growing out of it has Chell's name on it). To be honest, the graphics could have been better. When it comes to PC games, console ports don't really cut it. Other than that, I can't find any other real argument with the game. Expand
  36. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is awesome. Good graphics, good history, good controls, good coop, good maps, good custom maps.... I already playing custom coop maps. Games with mod-tools are the best ever!!!
  37. Jun 9, 2016
    Not as good as the original. Puzzles were too easy and cuing was too obvious. Multiplayer was amazing but way too short. Also, Wheatley is freaking annoying.

It is still a beautiful and worth playing experience by Valve.
  38. May 2, 2011
    Portal 1 was new and surprising. Portal 2 was longer and more expensive. The tests were dumbed down and repetitive. The 'story' was predictable. The ending was such a copy of the first that the game joked about it being a copy of the first. I was really anticipating something special from valve and was badly disappointed. Let's hope Valve doesn't throw Half Life 2 Ep 3 under the bus as well.
  39. May 3, 2011
    Good story, but very boring gameplay. Testroom, testroom, testroom, laborotory, laborotory, laborotory, testroom, testroom, testroom... final boss! Puzzles very simple.
  40. May 4, 2011
    This is the Only game which i have ever played which tops the experience of portal 1. It has such an amazing scale of interaction with the player and it really does make you feel like you're there. There are some games which you can play but not experience and live so when youve played it you dont remember it. Portal 2 Completely overwhelms that by giving you an almost emotional attachmentThis is the Only game which i have ever played which tops the experience of portal 1. It has such an amazing scale of interaction with the player and it really does make you feel like you're there. There are some games which you can play but not experience and live so when youve played it you dont remember it. Portal 2 Completely overwhelms that by giving you an almost emotional attachment with the characters. When i played i really did fel angry at the betrayals and guilty for assuming incorrectly about characters. At the end there was only one thought that went through my head and that was 'i want to go back...NOW'. the gameplay has topped itself by making you constantly think and hope throughout the puzzles and the moment when your brain just 'clicks' into realisation gives you an amazing feeling of smugness. The graphics are amazing too with a huge improvement over portal 1 thereby making the game even more captivating. The multiplayer is amazing with a freind or a stranger since theres still the moment of realisation but then you are still feeling like you're beating the other player to completeing the puzzle. In conclusion i am hoping that the map maker that they are supposedly producing is soon released because that would be the only thing needed to keep players captivated for many more years.....or until Half-Life: episode 3 is released :) Expand
  41. Jul 6, 2011
    Put it this way... I absolutely hate all puzzle games. I hate them with a passion that burns like your granny's cystitis. I'd rather pull your teeth out then use them to pull my teeth out than play one.... apart from Portal 2. Okay, so it's replayability is precisely zero, but good lord, is it good on the first run or what? The style is amazing, it gets the brain going without making youPut it this way... I absolutely hate all puzzle games. I hate them with a passion that burns like your granny's cystitis. I'd rather pull your teeth out then use them to pull my teeth out than play one.... apart from Portal 2. Okay, so it's replayability is precisely zero, but good lord, is it good on the first run or what? The style is amazing, it gets the brain going without making you want to put your head through a hole in the wall you'd previously made with the head of the game designer, and the compulsion to continue to the next test is likely to cause some seriously bleary eyes at work. Fair enough, if you really can't stomach the idea of a fairly slow moving game that involves more grey cells than it requires to left click then type "lol nub pwnt" (or words to that effect) then avoid this like it's Fukushima Daiichi, but if you want a really unique (excludes the original Portal... obviously), absorbing, and just downright cool game, buy this. 9/10... only due to lack of replayability, the rest is beyond criticism. Expand
  42. May 10, 2011
    I agree with many of you in that Valve; did it again; in making another great game. For some of you; Valve created Steam; and Steam is on PC; so some of you say that it was ported from console system; the answer is no. Steam is much older than xbox 360 and ps3; and that it was originally built on a pc; eventually expanded it to console systems. I wont tell the end of the game; but it isI agree with many of you in that Valve; did it again; in making another great game. For some of you; Valve created Steam; and Steam is on PC; so some of you say that it was ported from console system; the answer is no. Steam is much older than xbox 360 and ps3; and that it was originally built on a pc; eventually expanded it to console systems. I wont tell the end of the game; but it is one; that will astonish you. Expand
  43. Aug 26, 2012
    Love glados passive agressive comments, wheatley thats designed to be a moron ;). Maybe there are games out there that will give you more playtime hours , bigger challenges, better graphic etc. But i really doubt that there's even one that will put smile on your face more times then Portal 2.
  44. Jul 6, 2011
    The combined experience of the singleplayer and multiplayer campaigns is, quite simply, a prime example of why Video Games can be considered a respectable entertainment medium. Delightful, funny, challenging, and rewarding from beginning to end, Portal 2 offers you and a friend an unforgettable journey through the world of Aperture Science.
  45. May 29, 2011
    This is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twistsThis is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twists which will make you scratch your head and keep playing just to see what's going on; and new gameplay devices are introduced smoothly and expertly, never overwhelming the player. It's also interesting to see how Valve handled co-op mode: it's a whole new campaign by itself, and it features an indicator system that may not be as effective as using an actual headset, but it's surprisingly functional all the same. All in all, there's nothing wrong to be found here... Unless you're so spoiled about game length to the point that 16 hours devoted to high quality gaming isn't as good as 40 hours managing inventory just so you can endure another 40 hours of medieval fantasy cliches. Then, and only then, Portal 2 isn't the game for you. Expand
  46. Aug 12, 2011
    This is very highly overrated. Its not valve's best game. Nowhere close. The first installment of the series was the best. This though has really slow game play, and the trailers are a load of **** But aside from that, i actually really liked it. You see, overloading a game like portal with possibilities destroys it and makes it really mainstream. The storyline is good, but if you don'tThis is very highly overrated. Its not valve's best game. Nowhere close. The first installment of the series was the best. This though has really slow game play, and the trailers are a load of **** But aside from that, i actually really liked it. You see, overloading a game like portal with possibilities destroys it and makes it really mainstream. The storyline is good, but if you don't play the prime installment of portal, you will get lost in a forest of what the hell and starve to death. Expand
  47. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I truly did love this game. Very fun and addictive, but the addiction did not last. The single player campaign had an OK story ,as said before,it was very predictable, and as for the co-op story it was not very entertaining. BUT what truly stood out was the game play, each puzzle in the campaign was fun, rarely challenging, but fun and each puzzle was very different to the next. Co-op was were the real challenge was and it really got you thinking using each of the new, creative aspects the game provided such as Mobility gels. The graphics were beautiful and looked good even in fast motion with barley any blur. And first time Portals players can easily become comfortable with the basic concept of the game which also provides comfortable controls.Good story lines are very important to me and many other gamers which is why i gave this game a solid 8 out of 10. Expand
  48. Jun 12, 2011
    Incredible puzzle game. Humorous, clever, and just plain fun. I read people talking about beating the game in 4 hours: I think they weren't paying attention. The dialog alone takes up several hours, and speeding through this game makes you really miss out on the experience. It took me probably about 9 or so hours to clear the single player, still going through the co-op as I writeIncredible puzzle game. Humorous, clever, and just plain fun. I read people talking about beating the game in 4 hours: I think they weren't paying attention. The dialog alone takes up several hours, and speeding through this game makes you really miss out on the experience. It took me probably about 9 or so hours to clear the single player, still going through the co-op as I write this. Basically, if you liked Portal 1, Portal 2 is the better, longer, and more clever version. Expand
  49. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Genial! even above the expectations! really nice the new tools inside the test chambers! Outstanding story!
    I think it's flawless. Really hilarious too. Valve company carried out a great job
  50. Jun 14, 2011
    One of the best games of this year. Interesting plot, realistic characters (excellent voice acting), quite good graphics and music. Only one defect: in my opinion there was not much "thinking by portals" (little too easy riddles). After all it's solid game, which can be played both solo and co-op (together something about 15h of playing). 10/10
  51. Jun 14, 2011
    I wish I had paid more for the original Portal. For Portal 2, however, I wish I had paid less (even though I bought it on sale for $30). Maybe Valve has been making "Episodes" for so long they forgot how to make a full-fledged game? Sure Portal 2 is entertaining, funny (Stephen Merchant!) and contains a few head-scratcher puzzles, but in the end it's too short, not difficult enough and hasI wish I had paid more for the original Portal. For Portal 2, however, I wish I had paid less (even though I bought it on sale for $30). Maybe Valve has been making "Episodes" for so long they forgot how to make a full-fledged game? Sure Portal 2 is entertaining, funny (Stephen Merchant!) and contains a few head-scratcher puzzles, but in the end it's too short, not difficult enough and has zero replay value. I hope Valve adds some time challenges, portal challenges or just more plain ol' puzzle levels in the form of DLC. I'd even consider paying for some game-expanding DLC, even though it should have been there in the first place (I'm looking at you, Mafia II). Disappointed? A little. Good game anyway? Absolutely. Expand
  52. Jun 15, 2011
    It gets an 7 for being unique. But aside from that, it's too similar to Portal 1, and it's too short. The amount of game time you get to play is minimal, a few hours at most before your done. The puzzles are not overly challenging, and it's gets boring after an hour of play or so. The game is unique, but aside from that there's not that much to it.
  53. Jun 28, 2011
    Not a bad game. I am not a fan of puzzle games in general but this one had enough of a story to keep me engaged. The writing is pretty funny at the start, but gets less and less funny as the game progresses. The puzzles themselves are genuinely challenging, and for someone who hasn't played Portal 1 the learning curve is slow and forgiving, which is a great thing. The worst thing aboutNot a bad game. I am not a fan of puzzle games in general but this one had enough of a story to keep me engaged. The writing is pretty funny at the start, but gets less and less funny as the game progresses. The puzzles themselves are genuinely challenging, and for someone who hasn't played Portal 1 the learning curve is slow and forgiving, which is a great thing. The worst thing about this game is that the camera angles occasionally gave me headaches, and chapters 6-7 in the warehouse were rather boring. The concept itself is VERY original and fun though, I found myself imagining portal moves even during non-gaming hours, Lol. Give this game a shot, it is worth it. Expand
  54. Jun 17, 2011
    Great game. Took me ten hours. Some of the puzzles actually ... uhh... puzzled me?Unfortunately, as with all puzzle games, no replay value at all. Didn't get old for me at all, I found it fun all the way through tenth hour. I can't wait to play the co-op part of the game. That should be fun. But i agree that the game is good to rent for a weekend and play co-op but not worth fiftyGreat game. Took me ten hours. Some of the puzzles actually ... uhh... puzzled me?Unfortunately, as with all puzzle games, no replay value at all. Didn't get old for me at all, I found it fun all the way through tenth hour. I can't wait to play the co-op part of the game. That should be fun. But i agree that the game is good to rent for a weekend and play co-op but not worth fifty bucks. GLADOS and Wheatly were... ummm... interesting. Their humor was the kind that you can smile at but not any LOL material there. Needs a level editor where you can make your own puzzles and post them online for others to solve. THAT would make the game worth a lot more than 50 bucks for me. And a question to valve, "Where is HL2EP3??" (that last question did not affect my rating) Expand
  55. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although I miss GLaDOS's cake obsession and the Aperture Science High Energy Pellet, I understand what happened to them. So regardless Valve's Portal 2 is an extremely well done sequel to, what turned out to become, the best test of a physics system ever. It not only matched it's predecessor, but surpassed it in the way of length, complexity, graphics detail, story depth, and overall gameplay. It is well thought out, well polished, and addictive. As of now, it's still expensive, but it's worth every penny. So, in short. Portal 2, AWESOME GAME!!!
    Nuff said.
  56. Jun 22, 2011
    This game was the best game I've ever played. I thought I was watching a movie. I thought I was Chell. Why isn't my life this cool? Enough said. Best Game of 2011 right here.
  57. Apr 23, 2013
    Excellent SP story! Now.... Portal 2 is worthy, but overly simplistic due to also being available on consoles that use analogue controls. Hey, at least we have the steam workshop so we don't have to deal with the simple console based level design anymore. If you want a more challenging experience look to the portal 2 workshop on steam.
  58. Jun 23, 2011
    portal 2 is very cool as you know it will be. don't trust the bad reviews for this game! trust the good ones! (lazy review with no caps). it has co-op, great story, awesome graphics, awesome futuristic settings, and lots of puzzles that you can expect from the last game. simply one of the best game of 2011. they removed annoying puzzles like the energy orb that forces you to wait untilportal 2 is very cool as you know it will be. don't trust the bad reviews for this game! trust the good ones! (lazy review with no caps). it has co-op, great story, awesome graphics, awesome futuristic settings, and lots of puzzles that you can expect from the last game. simply one of the best game of 2011. they removed annoying puzzles like the energy orb that forces you to wait until it's settled up with the annoying receiver stuff, and add more new elements like the gel that will speed up your character, or jump like almost zero gravity, and even create portals in impossible places! the game also adds cooperative campaign which you and your friend can participate and complete together. the greatest part of the cooperative campaign is that there is 100% team work. it's perfectly executed. but the annoying part is that if your friend is stupid and can't think with portals. now the thing that lacks on this game is the single player is a little short. and it's a puzzle game. once you know how to solve each of every levels in portal 2, i bet you will complete this game in only 4 hours. and you suffer yourself like 12-13 hours to beat this game and if you don't know how to beat the s*** out of the puzzle you will ended up looking on youtube. shamefully, there are no extras in this game. almost no replay value. no interesting secret stuff. and if you start playing it with cheats, you better end the game normally. i guess the only effort ending the game is that you can use cheats later. so that's my review on portal 2. a score of [ 9.6 ] judging all the stuff above that pisses me off Expand
  59. Jun 23, 2011
    Incredible game. A single player mode you'll never forget. Co-op is tons of fun with friends and microphones. I highly recommend this game. The puzzles are just right, not too hard, not too easy. I can't wait for the new DLC!!! 10/10
  60. Jun 23, 2011
    The most fun game I ever played.Ð
  61. Jun 23, 2011
    Portal is very very good game and Portal 2? Excellent, you must play it. It's very very good game (and sometimes hard :-) Buy it now, i know what am i saying. Simply good-est game from Valve i ever seen before. My score is 10/10.
  62. Jun 23, 2011
    Portal 2 follows in the same vein as the first with a slow start progressing into more difficult puzzles with some high-paced portions strewn throughout. The puzzles range from cake (is a lie) to "let's take a step back and think" but I was disappointed they were not more timing-based offerings. The story was predictable, but incredibly well-written and witty; The characters love-able andPortal 2 follows in the same vein as the first with a slow start progressing into more difficult puzzles with some high-paced portions strewn throughout. The puzzles range from cake (is a lie) to "let's take a step back and think" but I was disappointed they were not more timing-based offerings. The story was predictable, but incredibly well-written and witty; The characters love-able and at times, downright hilarious. I really enjoyed the single-player mode and then you find out there's more to do in the co-op mode. 9/10 Expand
  63. Jun 27, 2011
    This game was just pure genius. The design, the character development, it was all done beautifully. I question why this game doesn't have at LEAST a score of 96. It was different from the first game in some ways, but I liked that. Using the exact same atmosphere of the first game would've just felt like more of an unoriginal repeat. Anyone reading this that enjoys Valve games but hasn'tThis game was just pure genius. The design, the character development, it was all done beautifully. I question why this game doesn't have at LEAST a score of 96. It was different from the first game in some ways, but I liked that. Using the exact same atmosphere of the first game would've just felt like more of an unoriginal repeat. Anyone reading this that enjoys Valve games but hasn't yet played Portal 2... I beg you, buy this game, you will grin from ear to ear till it hurts.

And even then, you'll just keep grinning anyway.
  64. Jul 1, 2011
    in Developer's about it so quickly wasted energy. Others were removed 2 Developer's regime is a regime of speed and power mode, Crysis 2 has two modes would have even better. The developers have made one mistake stupid enough protagonist Alcatraz not not say a word as something silly in our time well, it's very small cons of srovneniyu with the advantages of the game such as the positivein Developer's about it so quickly wasted energy. Others were removed 2 Developer's regime is a regime of speed and power mode, Crysis 2 has two modes would have even better. The developers have made one mistake stupid enough protagonist Alcatraz not not say a word as something silly in our time well, it's very small cons of srovneniyu with the advantages of the game such as the positive side of his suit. Types of shooter games have changed the usual shooter shooters such as Call of Duty, Battlefield. So as impurity shooters as Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem. And there are half as stealth stealth already long gone and will take place stealth sex stelae and games such as Crysis 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Deus Ex came out had not yet left the first game of Crysis 2! Expand
  65. Oct 4, 2014
    I'm speechless. Speechless. Amazing game. Portal 1 was short, but Valve took that issue to heart and made Portal 2 5x longer. Made it funnier too. Just buy this game without thinking.
  66. Jul 2, 2011
    Wow, what can't I say about Portal 2?
    First off its amazing for its humor, game play, and puzzles.
    Oh god the puzzles. I was stumped more than once, but that didn't keep me from playing.
    I like keeping reviews short, so all I have to say is that Portal 2 is one of the first games in a long time that I've really, really wanted.
  67. Jul 2, 2011
    The sequel "makes the original look like the prototype it was" by expanding the game in gameplay and story. The graphics and sound are superior even though it's on the source engine .Overall it was a worthwhile game but did not live up to the massive amount of hype it created .
  68. Jul 4, 2011
    Portal 2 is an EXCELLENT GAME.... It starts off where portal 1 ended and the graphics are a slight improvement the game itself runs smooth, I have NOT had a single issue so far with 10 hours of game play. For those who gave this game a bad review shame on you, your style sucks anyway.
  69. Oct 19, 2011
    This is a solid puzzle game, but I don't think it is quite as good as the original Portal. There is enough new stuff to make the puzzles challenging, fun and interesting, but I think that Valve play up to the success of the original by re-hashing what people loved about it. I also found Stephen Merchant's voice/character to be really annoying and out of place...I think it should have beenThis is a solid puzzle game, but I don't think it is quite as good as the original Portal. There is enough new stuff to make the puzzles challenging, fun and interesting, but I think that Valve play up to the success of the original by re-hashing what people loved about it. I also found Stephen Merchant's voice/character to be really annoying and out of place...I think it should have been robotic sounding like all the others. Where the first game used mystery to draw you into it's world, Portal 2 dispels all that mystery by taking you into the depths of Aperture Science and it's past. I didn't find the story anywhere near as funny or as engaging as the original Portal, but it was still entertaining for the most part. For the most part, the environments and graphics were great looking, I think that Valve's Source engine can still hold it's own. The scripted creation/destruction in the levels is almost always impressive looking. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, so I can't comment on that, but the in-game store selling stuff that really should have been part of the game is a bit cheap of Valve imo. It's definitely not their strongest title and it doesn't surpass the original, but if you enjoyed the original and like puzzle games you could do much worse. Expand
  70. Jul 7, 2011
    Buena historia, buenos escenarios. El juego es corto (no tanto como el anterior) pero muy intenso. La IA de los 2 robots tiene mas personalidad que la mayoría de los humanos de otros juegos. No le doy el 10 porque el modo coop tiene muy pocos niveles oficiales y se hace cortísimo.
  71. Jul 17, 2011
    This game is simply awesome, with the high quality level that Valve always puts on its games. This is a second part, so you MUST have played Portal before trying Portal 2. If you don't, then you'll miss a lot of plot related stuff and obviously the experience will be disappointing. The gameplay is more dynamic than in Portal. It is not a test room after test room journey until reaching theThis game is simply awesome, with the high quality level that Valve always puts on its games. This is a second part, so you MUST have played Portal before trying Portal 2. If you don't, then you'll miss a lot of plot related stuff and obviously the experience will be disappointing. The gameplay is more dynamic than in Portal. It is not a test room after test room journey until reaching the final boss. This time a lot of sudden events will drive you through huge scenarios where you'll have to use the Portal gun to make your way through. Moreover, the portal gun has to be combined with new elements to solve the puzzles. Graphics do their job. Physics related sequences (walls and structures falling apart) look pretty good. Music uses some weird effects to make it easily identified with robots. Sometimes it is a little annoying (specially if you play with headphones). It is a short game (around 6 hours), but you can't make a puzzle based game much longer without boring the player. In exchange, everything is incredibly polished in a nearly obsessive way. In my opinion, one of the best games of this year, but it is mandatory to be a Portal fan in order to properly enjoy it. Don't buy it if it is your first Portal game! Expand
  72. Dec 25, 2011
    This is my third review today and I've been quite positive as it is Christmas, but this game is without a doubt, the Best game of the year. I won't even talk about how great it is, it's simply made to perfection. Here are the top 4 games I recommend this year:

1. Portal 2
    2. Modern Warfare 3
    3. Skyrim
    4. Battlefield 3
  73. Jul 9, 2011
    The story is absolutely great, and the game play equally as good. The only thing that let me down in this game is that a lot of the "puzzles" weren't really puzzles, just annoying tasks that detracted from the game. The co-op is amazing, the most fun I've had in a game in a very long time. Giving the robots character in the co-op added greatly to the experience, making it one to remember.The story is absolutely great, and the game play equally as good. The only thing that let me down in this game is that a lot of the "puzzles" weren't really puzzles, just annoying tasks that detracted from the game. The co-op is amazing, the most fun I've had in a game in a very long time. Giving the robots character in the co-op added greatly to the experience, making it one to remember. All up, this is a great game with an awesome story (not to mention all the great humor in it), only being flawed by the some of the puzzles later on in the game being more annoying than anything else. Expand
  74. Jul 9, 2011
    This is an absolute masterpiece. The single player is amazing- featuring new types of puzzles. The story is merged with the adventure. The map design and atmosphere is amazing. I loved the hauntingly old "old Aperture levels"- The hidden areas were great. And the characters and comedy were the best.

The only complaint was about the price/length of game. That argument is a load. I thought the length of the game was fine- as games that drag on lose their appeal to. The single player and co-op make up a great package.
    The ending was spectacular.
    Portal series is something everyone must play.
  75. Jul 10, 2011
    Definitely worth the money. Excellent sequel to the predecessor. Writing is witty, level design is great, and the fact that the Source Engine can still produce graphics like these is simply outstanding. Loved every moment of playing it.
  76. Jul 10, 2011
    TL;DR: Game of the year. FREE custom maps and DLC add much more enjoyable time to the game.

Yes, the original Source engine is old. It's being patched, and not renamed. It's also one of the most stable and moddable engines that I know of (and I am a modder). Yes, there were day-one vanity purchasable items. Let me repeat that, however: there were _vanity_ items, similar to, say, hats in Team Fortress 2, or clothes in some other game. IT DOES NOT AFFECT GAMEPLAY. Yes, there is DLC that is for only the Razer Hydra, a $140 piece of motion gaming hardware for the PC. The concepts in the DLC will most likely be made through mods and custom maps.

None of these affect how wonderfully good Portal 2 is. Gamesradar, for example, placed the original Portal at its #1 spot for games of all time. Portal 2 is better. Not only does Portal 2 have its own version of Hammer, the Source map editor, meaning that anyone with the know-how can make custom maps and distribute and play them, but Portal 2 also incorporates a number of features that Portal didn't have (which are in the trailers, I don't want to give out semi-spoilers).

The voice-acting is wonderful and often hilarious. GLaDOS is as wonderful as she was in Portal. The graphics are top-notch. Don't listen to those who say that it has sub-par graphics; they're probably playing it on a console or with a really old graphics card; my GT130M, which was a low-middle-grade GPU for laptops two years ago, allows me to play Portal 2 at 1080p and full settings while maintaining a steady 30fps minimum.

Also, all future DLC (for the PC) will be released for free. It's how Valve does things. (Note that the console DLC, notably the XBox 360 DLC, will have only one free DLC. This is due to Microsoft's policies, and has nothing to do with what Valve wants for its customers.)
  77. Jul 12, 2011
    Portal 2's single player campaign is three times as long as the original's, but at only 6-7 hours for a single playthrough it is still a bit short. Thankfully, every moment is packed with enjoyable visuals, sight gags and laugh-out-loud humor, effective audio, interesting puzzles, and a story that is artfully told through interaction with the environment. With the challenges andPortal 2's single player campaign is three times as long as the original's, but at only 6-7 hours for a single playthrough it is still a bit short. Thankfully, every moment is packed with enjoyable visuals, sight gags and laugh-out-loud humor, effective audio, interesting puzzles, and a story that is artfully told through interaction with the environment. With the challenges and multiplayer co-op mode (a campaign unto itself) stacked on top, Portal 2 is like its predecessor easily one of Valve's best titles and a game that redefines the limits of the first person genre. Don't miss it. Expand
  78. Jul 12, 2011
    The only reason this game does not get a 10 is because it has no replay value. As far as difficulty goes, the multiplayer is much harder than the single player and the difficulty of the single player is about on par with Portal. I love the new mechanics, especially the light bridges, and they are used very creatively throughout the game. The art and presentation are amazing as well.The only reason this game does not get a 10 is because it has no replay value. As far as difficulty goes, the multiplayer is much harder than the single player and the difficulty of the single player is about on par with Portal. I love the new mechanics, especially the light bridges, and they are used very creatively throughout the game. The art and presentation are amazing as well. Overall a great game that was worth what it cost me. Expand
  79. Jul 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is an another one example of Valve's skill.
    It has so much soul, every pixel is overfilled with it. And the final chapter with aria and GLaDOS' song absolutely awesome, I cried during it, no, seriously. The script is simply amazing, no match to the rest of the modern games.
    Game's atmosphere also supplemented with characters, they are just robots but so humanoid.
    No game had ever made me experience such strong emotions. Thank you, Valve.
  80. Jul 13, 2011
    This is a great game. Single-player is simply just awsome because if you played portal 1 you see level that you played.Co-op mode is also on great thing. You can play with you're friends and you also can equip so hats, suits, etc. I really appreciated the Gameplay because it not as easy as portal 1 was. I played portal one and It took me around two hours to complete the game. Portal 2This is a great game. Single-player is simply just awsome because if you played portal 1 you see level that you played.Co-op mode is also on great thing. You can play with you're friends and you also can equip so hats, suits, etc. I really appreciated the Gameplay because it not as easy as portal 1 was. I played portal one and It took me around two hours to complete the game. Portal 2 took me around 6 hours. I recommend this game to everyone. 10 out of 10. Expand
  81. Jul 14, 2011
    Nothing short of Fan-dibby-dabulous.
    I'll try and describe how awesome it is:
    It's so good...

1) My Dog came back to life
    2) My Rubix Cube solved itself
    3) My water turned into wine
    4) I **** in my pants
    5) It gave me Blowjobs and ice cream
    6) Hitler got his gas bill

What was I on about, again? The point is it's a damn good game and you should buy it because it's super awesome!
  82. Jul 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The negative reviews of this game are obviously by the fact that Valve added a store like the Mann Co. Store (TF2) into Portal 2. But the items that you buy here are only skins or taunts. However, the singleplayer has a GREAT plot, the best finale in the world, and the multiplayer it's funny to play. Best Game of 2011. Expand
  83. Jul 15, 2011
    A truly remarkable game, a work of art. The story is excellent, i enjoyed every minute of it. And the puzzles are more interesting than in the first game. Definitely a must buy game !
  84. Jul 16, 2011
    To make it fair.... the game is very fun and very well what I expected of the sequel. It's very funny and probably what I liked the best of it and it still keeps the whole Portal essence. However, like other reviewers, I did find it too easy and short for such a huge price and hype. The game is very good, and a must play... but certainly not enough for all the overrated reviews. 88-90/100To make it fair.... the game is very fun and very well what I expected of the sequel. It's very funny and probably what I liked the best of it and it still keeps the whole Portal essence. However, like other reviewers, I did find it too easy and short for such a huge price and hype. The game is very good, and a must play... but certainly not enough for all the overrated reviews. 88-90/100 should be it's real value. Expand
  85. Jul 20, 2011
    An intriguing sequel to Valve's great experiment, Portal, surpassed the original both graphically and via storytelling. I personally hate games with near linear action, but Portal 2 is something I completed a few times in a row without being bored with.

What I like: the expansion on events and back-story of the original Portal, the unlikely plot twists (for someone that didn't watch spoilers, of course). And, of course, puzzle solving. All done in nearly perfect visual and sonic experience: the look of the game, dialogs, music and sound effects make this a really enjoyable game with large amount of sarcastic humor but also with a pinch of heartwarming gimmicks. After that, I'm still having a though time disabling a sentry turret even though I know it's only purpose in the game is to pack me with bullets.

And, of course, there's that nice "that was IT?" feel after completing chambers and game chapters, which are reasonably paced and the difficulty level of them increases without making you frustrated about not knowing/finding the solution but rather leaving you curious about what is that something you've missed. There's also a fair amount of fast paced "action" sequences that require your quick thinking but without being extremely difficult though. As in original portal, there's inclusion of achievements - actions you need to perform in-game, some are pretty difficult, the other are funny, several you are given automatically after completing parts of the game.

The absolute novelty is a very tight cooperation mode which requires interaction of two players. Word of advice: to spare yourself awkwardness, better train with somebody you know, because trying to find your game partner online may result with too much of a difference in experience between both of you - frustrating both ways.

What I don't like: there's very little not to like, actually. There is some awkwardness in cooperative game such as controlling player gestures or communication, also you have to know that the game can and WILL use your microphone, which may result in awkward situations, unless you switch it to "push to talk" mode first - which I don't think is the default.
  86. Jul 26, 2011
    Portal 2 is a challenge for the mind, puzzles around ever corner. I thought the game was awesome. My favorite part is the end. This game is a game I didn't want to stop playing the story line is fun. At some points Wheatley gets very annoying and makes me want to mute it. One things for sure you really have to think in chapters 6 to 8. I hated 1 thing majorly Wheatley talking itsPortal 2 is a challenge for the mind, puzzles around ever corner. I thought the game was awesome. My favorite part is the end. This game is a game I didn't want to stop playing the story line is fun. At some points Wheatley gets very annoying and makes me want to mute it. One things for sure you really have to think in chapters 6 to 8. I hated 1 thing majorly Wheatley talking its funny at some points like when he says "I AM NOT A MORON!" but some other stuff he says annoys to hell but it makes up for it at the end. So really if you are thinking of buying it buy it you'll have a blast Expand
  87. Jul 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fun experience, but it's really short on content. Firstly, the Portal mechanic works great. Everything looks and plays really well, and it's a very well presented title. Also, the gameplay is very fun. It's around the system of clearing puzzles in order to progress further and further. The puzzles ranged from pretty easy to kind-of tough, but the game never got too hard thatPortal 2 is a fun experience, but it's really short on content. Firstly, the Portal mechanic works great. Everything looks and plays really well, and it's a very well presented title. Also, the gameplay is very fun. It's around the system of clearing puzzles in order to progress further and further. The puzzles ranged from pretty easy to kind-of tough, but the game never got too hard that I got stuck. That being said, the game felt short and lacking any replay content. The main single-player mode can took me 6 hours, and the co-op mode took me 2 hours, totalling at 8 hours. 8 hours of non-replayable content is a bit hard to press for a full priced game, and that's why my score is a 6, because there's not a lot of content to be found. Sure, it is a well crafted game, but it's a delicacy that's over before you want it to be. I didn't feel insanely challenged by this game, and it left me slightly unrewarded. Overall, if you aren't too much of a puzzle fan, this would be a great game for you. If you're wanting a challenge, though, this game doesn't offer too much of one. Expand
  88. Aug 9, 2011
    Great game for $10 but not much more. It was quite easy to beat the sp version in about 3 hours, just look for the white walls. Co-op is horrible if you don't speak portugese, spanish or german. If you don't have a microphone your games will end abruptly due to the inability to exchange tactics resulting in the other player disconnecting due to frustration. It should have been 3x as longGreat game for $10 but not much more. It was quite easy to beat the sp version in about 3 hours, just look for the white walls. Co-op is horrible if you don't speak portugese, spanish or german. If you don't have a microphone your games will end abruptly due to the inability to exchange tactics resulting in the other player disconnecting due to frustration. It should have been 3x as long to keep my interest and incorporated all the game mechanics in all areas. It seemed divided as if different developers made their own concepts yet did not collaborate to bring the entire experience together. I didn't approve of the negativity and condescending nature of the female voice, after listening to Cave Johnson's commercials. Expand
  89. Aug 11, 2012
    This game is really good if you get it on sale on Steam. I wouldn't suggest getting it at full price because the game simply isn't long enough. It is much longer than Portal. The first time playing through will take probably around 5 hours on average.
  90. Aug 30, 2011
    Just slightly above average. It's a fun game, sure. However it is fairly short and although it is a lot of fun I expected a whole lot more. Note that the new features implemented were great ideas. Unfortunately because of its short and simplistic story it didn't make too much of an impact
  91. Sep 12, 2011
    Not the worst of games, Great whilst it lasted but so short, I beat the entire game in 3 hours and I'm not even that great at these types of games, However the two things that annoys me: 1) The price, Jesus Christ £30, This is a game worthy of £8 or so for short but sweet, Defiantly no where near £30 considering other games or stuff you can buy forNot the worst of games, Great whilst it lasted but so short, I beat the entire game in 3 hours and I'm not even that great at these types of games, However the two things that annoys me: 1) The price, Jesus Christ £30, This is a game worthy of £8 or so for short but sweet, Defiantly no where near £30 considering other games or stuff you can buy for that, Valve really are milking the cash-cow here 2) The Valve fanboys, Now I know every game has it's following, But this is just ridiculous, These people will literally rip your heart out and show it too you for calling this game anything short of perfection ;___; The proof is in the User reviews if you look, Anyway the short version: Decent game but nowhere near worth the £30 Expand
  92. Sep 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is not Portal; to assume that the sequel should be simply more of the original would overlook its brilliant aspects which make the game shine. First off, the puzzles aren't as mind-boggling, simply because the original game was entirely about portals and portals alone, and that forced the player to get creative. That being said, Portal 2's puzzles are more diverse and varied, andPortal 2 is not Portal; to assume that the sequel should be simply more of the original would overlook its brilliant aspects which make the game shine. First off, the puzzles aren't as mind-boggling, simply because the original game was entirely about portals and portals alone, and that forced the player to get creative. That being said, Portal 2's puzzles are more diverse and varied, and carry important aspects of the game's story. Even if they don't have quite the same "WHOA" factor as the original Portal's puzzles, they're still incredibly fun, and are more central to the plot driving the game. That leads me to the best thing about Portal 2: its story. The story is intriguing, intricate, well-told, and incredibly funny. I actually really enjoyed the dark humor and eerie subtext surrounding the original Portal, but unfortunately, that wasn't a huge focus. This is not the case with Portal 2. The characters are fantastic! Wheatley has, in my mind, set a new bar for the fluidity a voice actor can achieve. All in all, this game is absolutely worth the purchase, whether or not you liked/played the original game. I gave it a 9 rather than a 10 because the "in-between chambers" sections were rather linear and lacked the same creativity of the actual test chambers, but since those comprised a minor part of the game, it's not a huge deal. Expand
  93. Sep 26, 2011
    First Person Puzzle game (not a shooter). A worthy sequel to the first one. Superb story, with interesting characters. Visually very impressive. Gameplay varies between solving puzzles and sightseeing around the environment with well balanced pacing. Great emotional impact with varied between laughs and a sense of weariness and drama. Developer Valve also has a history of all-free DLC.First Person Puzzle game (not a shooter). A worthy sequel to the first one. Superb story, with interesting characters. Visually very impressive. Gameplay varies between solving puzzles and sightseeing around the environment with well balanced pacing. Great emotional impact with varied between laughs and a sense of weariness and drama. Developer Valve also has a history of all-free DLC. This game is worth every single penny. Expand
  94. Oct 2, 2011
    Have to say, they did this right. You can't knock them for the DRM. Piracy is rampant, and if they make more money, they make more games. Graphics were great, storyline goofy, scary and compelling. No technical issues encountered, and I bought it day 1 from Steam. Even the music was great.
  95. Oct 4, 2011
    I loved just about everything about Portal 2. With Portal 1 being one of my favorite games of all time, and Valve being one of my favorite companies, I was dying to play this game.
    When I finally did play it exceeded my expectations. The story in this sequel is phenomenal and much more immersed than the mysterious back story of Portal 1 (Not that it's a bad thing at all). The puzzles all felt fresh thanks to the new mechanics and the levels didn't fail to disappoint. I also liked how you weren't confined to just the upper, clean portion of Aperture Science. You were able to not only visit the same chambers as in Portal 1 but travel to the abandoned segments never seen before. This kept things going well and kept me more interested than before. The voice acting was great although I'm not the biggest Wheatly fan (Even just GLaDOS would have made my day) I still came to like both characters more by the end. The Graphics are anything I can expect from a game, and more. But I'd rather a great story than some eye candied piece of garbage. The only thing against this game is the length, I keep wanting to play more!
    10/10 from me, I can't see how anyone in their right minds could dislike this game but some people don't have the mind for a great story or the puzzles it seems. 11/10 from me
  96. Oct 12, 2011
    A solid, enjoyable game, with good production values and neat levels. The only thing stopping this from being a 10 is that the challenge level is obviously dumbed down for mass-market appeal. Much easier than the first one, overall. There's no real challenge, even with the final climax, which is unfortunately quite similar, though less clever, than the original portal climax.
  97. Oct 20, 2011
    One of the best games of 2011 if not the very best, there is almost nothing I can pick apart in this game that makes it bad in any way. The main campaign might seem a bit short for some but the co-op, and free dlc that was released can also make up for that. The game is just brilliant and must buy.
  98. Mar 25, 2012
    Fun game but way too short. Took at most 8 hours to complete, and another 4 for the the coop campaign. This is simply not enough considering that there's next to no replayability once you've solved the puzzles. - Puzzles that, to me, seldom seemed challenging, and I reckon one would be better off grabbing portal 1 than this game. - It's a shame as Portal 2 really had a lot of potential,Fun game but way too short. Took at most 8 hours to complete, and another 4 for the the coop campaign. This is simply not enough considering that there's next to no replayability once you've solved the puzzles. - Puzzles that, to me, seldom seemed challenging, and I reckon one would be better off grabbing portal 1 than this game. - It's a shame as Portal 2 really had a lot of potential, especially for some challenging coop gameplay. Expand
  99. Jan 1, 2012
    Good game as expected. Very worth to be played. There were only 2 personal minus points for me. The first one was that while portal 1 managed to suggest the feeling to be somehow lost in its world, leave predesigned tracks, "freely" explore its world within certain limits and solve puzzles in very different ways. In portal 2 i somehow felt to be kept on the very very short lead. Second wasGood game as expected. Very worth to be played. There were only 2 personal minus points for me. The first one was that while portal 1 managed to suggest the feeling to be somehow lost in its world, leave predesigned tracks, "freely" explore its world within certain limits and solve puzzles in very different ways. In portal 2 i somehow felt to be kept on the very very short lead. Second was that i felt the architecture of the aperture science facilities to be out of touch with the half life universe. They tried to impress with ridiculous huge scales that do not seem to fit in anymore and damage its overal credibility. Expand
  100. Sep 28, 2014
    A much bigger, fun and brilliant game than the original. You don't have to be someone who usually gravitates towards puzzle games to enjoy this. It's one of those rare games where you actually need to stop and think. Trial, error, experimentation and imagination will get you through those expertly crafted chambers, rather than quick reflexes.

I can't give the game full marks, however,

I can't give the game full marks, however, due to a very minor criticism. That being that as well thought-out the puzzle-based chambers were, they all had a similar look. The puzzles and tools at your disposal may evolve as you progress, but eventually my eye got a little bored looking at the same dark and dreary test chambers. Apart from that - amazing!

1. Pelit (Finland)