8.7

1. Apr 20, 2011
    BEST GAME EVER !!

Seriously, most of the negative "comments" are just "trolls".

This game is amazing, innovative to the core, funny as, and definitely not some console port. Sure it may not be the most challenging game, given it's nature as being a puzzle game, if valve had made the game too hard most casual players would probably give up from frustration and annoyance, it is balance
    between being easy and hard.

Voice acting is this game is simply outstanding, the gameplay has turned a small concept into a full out game, and the story is complete. This game is a must have for any gamer.
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    C'est clairement le meilleur jeu sortis ces derniers temps. Les nouveaux mécanismes ont été utilisé avec beaucoup de subtilité (et parfois moins), ce qui permettra la création de niveaux extraordinaires avec le SDK. Le scénario a évité la facilité et les poncifs, pour porter un humour toujours aussi agréable. La version anglaise serait cependant à mon sens quelque peu meilleure que la version francophone, d'où mon 9.

Une grande réussite, à la hauteur du premier !
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply not anything negative I can find. It's extremely fun to play, and extremely fun to replay. Expand
  4. Apr 20, 2011
    from the valve stable comes another epic game after years of waiting, the game is simply mind blowing if you like puzzle based games this game is highly recommended, although the source engine is starting to show its age the game environment is awesome, the humor , sound and music effect are amazingly enjoyable, the co op is good wish there was more game-play, in all a must play valve game the game runs smoothly with no issues Expand
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    Very familiar, and yet that's a very good thing. It was exactly what I expected: a fleshing out of the promise of the first game with more shine, more (excellent) dialog, more puzzles. While 10 hours isn't the longest I've ever spent completing a game; it was 10 of the best hours I've ever spent with a game...and that has to count for something. An excellent effort from Valve.
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    A fantastic game. The complaints about DLC is completely unwarranted given that the DLC is for goodies that in no way affect gameplay (unless you count your character having weird hats as crucial to complete puzzles). The graphics aren't the best out there but 1) it wasn't advertised to be a graphical beast 2) what they did with it was create a rich environment that you could go around and look at the various details. As many people have pointed out already, if you liked Portal, you'll really like Portal 2. If you haven't played portal, it's pretty cheap now so go play it. If you're all huffed up about the potato sack / ARG stuff you didn't have to do it. You didn't have to buy anything you didn't want to. Go find a site that reviews gaming companies and vent there. Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game that is worth every penny! While it may not be perfect it is yet another great game by Valve. The story is great and the robots' personalities are more interesting the those of the humans in other games. Along with a really fun coop. This game is well worth the money. I do not understand how people can whine at Valve about the "DLC", it's not DLC since it does not actually affect the gameplay. It's merely a cosmetic item applied to your characters head, for fun. That's it and nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Valve said that Portal 2 is probably their best game. And it really shows.
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    I finished Portal 2 in about 5.5 hours, experienced Portal players will probably take lesser time. However, the entire single-player mode is quite awesome and the puzzles entertaining. The story line, voice acting, etc. are brilliant (needless to say) and they complement the well-balanced gameplay.
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    This seems to be one of those games where either you hate it for inexplicable reasons and can't understand why everybody is so enthusiastic or you're so bloody enthusiastic that it's quite *obviously* game of the year, if not the decade. Just take a look at Metacritic and compare it to comments on, say, Rock Paper Shotgun articles about Portal 2. Best advice, if you enjoyed Portal, then buy it and make your own opinion. In two weeks, we'll still be arguing over whether it's actually a good game or whether Valve is trying to gouge us with "Day 1 DLC" and we *still* won't be getting anywhere. Have fun trying to make a balanced opinion about the game in that atmosphere, whether in two weeks, a month, or three. If you never played Portal ... then buy Portal. It's cheap and it will give you an idea of what the game is about. You can then decide on that basis whether to buy Portal 2 or not. Either you're interested in a sequel after playing it or you aren't ... simple. I bought Portal 2 on the merits of Portal, not because of all the hype and tra la la. Personally, I believe it was worth the money, but that's just me.

Because of the above and because of the widespread griping about the game, I don't care to tell you what the game was like. Pay heed to my above advice or ignore the game and keep playing whatever you were playing. It doesn't matter. It's just a game.

Addendum: Please try to ignore reviews which start with "storyline was great, concept was good" then proceed to give the product a 0/10 because of, frankly, nonsensical reasons. I don't know what people were expecting. Portal 2 is the sequel to Portal. If people were unaware of this, then it isn't the fault of the game. It's the fault of unrealistic expectations, as is the case in many aspects of the gaming industry. 0/10 says nothing about a game. It doesn't even reflect the "storyline was great, concept was good" portion of a review which then names one or two other *negative* points which might or not be justified.
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    Yes, it is short, but it is oh so sweet. If you're expecting a single player experience that will take weeks to complete, then you will be disappointed and/or feel short changed. However personally, I think Portal 2 is a little piece of gaming perfection and worth every penny.

While other games can feel clunky or confusing, everything here feels so simple and effortless in its
    execution. Considering the potential complexity of the physics based puzzles, this is even more impressive. In terms of sheer quality, I can't think of a game than can hold a candle to Portal 2 (Possibly HL2), and like fine dining, you expect to pay more for quality than you would for quantity (i.e $10 all you can eat buffet). Expand
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    I've played the majority of this game already and am planning on going back and exploring more. Was this game as good as Portal? Pretty much. Of course, its not as fresh since its a sequel, but the writing is excellent and quirky which was one of the best things from the original. Don't believe the haters. This game is tons of fun.
  12. Apr 20, 2011
    For the record, the "Day 1 DLC" functions in exactly the same fashion as the Mann Co. Store in TF2. You can still get all of the products through achievements or at random. Is it an attempt to cash in on people's laziness? Yes. Does it change the game at all for people willing to work for it? No. With that addressed, the single player is significantly better than the first portal, but I'm disappointed they have not yet included "challenge" levels. Still, Valve managed to replicate the same sense of wonder that they did in the first. A must play. Expand
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    This Game is one of the best i played for years. Valve put good puzzles in it, so that everyone can solve some of them. For me it was at the end a bit to hard to get those puzzles solved.
  14. Apr 20, 2011
    This is the best game I have ever played. It replaces my original choice for shadow of the colossus. Full of clever levels, humor, and hidden messages, I had way to much fun. I never give games perfect scores, but this game deserves it fully, and it deserves GOTY for the next 10 years!
  15. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is simply gorgeous!!! It's full of innovations, it's very very long (I spent 7-8 for single player and 4-5 hours for co-op) and I don't know why there are so many bad reviews, it has a good graphic and an unique plot. For sure all these important details makes it the Game of the Year.
  16. Apr 20, 2011
    FIRSTLY THIS GAME IS AWESOME! I have played the first and the humor and atmosphere is just the perfect mix for some of the best game play ever. I would recommend you read more reviews and get a more non-subjective view as many people are unhappy about certain reasons and taking it out on the game which is a bit unfair. It deserves a 10 and will get one from me.

I know valve did
    disappoint with the ARG which I might add I participated a lot of time to, but I have to admit it was the only reason I purchased the p0tat0 sack games, of which I have absolutely have no regrets about. The games are worth the money and very fun and I would not have purchased otherwise which is why valve did it (also the money before you criticise me) and I am glad they did it! SO THANKS VALVE FOR THAT OPPORTUNITY! Some games need a bit of support and valve took the initiative in their marketing, albeit they should have explained at least a little with regards to the ARG.

Regarding the DLC, they are SKINS and SUCH are for the robots and not games extensions of any sort!!!!!!!!! So please leave them out of you STUPID reviews! BTW when did the game say MULTIPLAYER at any point? CO-OP game-play is what they said and what it is, this is not a CoD game people please.

Also the game does not take 4 hours to finish which some other silly people have wrote about, it takes over 6 hours+ first play though depending on your skill and intelligence but STEAM is not recording the time properly as mine says 91 minutes where as another program (Raptr) says I have played 7 hours worth ATM, more if you soak up the environment and generally enjoy the game and not just rush through everything like some people.

Also some people are just displeased they could not play the game early and also regarding the price which is area related as the UK price with 20% off was only 24.00 pounds so about $39ish, so do not blame valve for pricing when it is usually dealt with by retailers also valve has to hike prices on the on-line service otherwise it would suffer competition issues with governments!

This is an excellent game and deserves a bit more respect from the non-gamers and people who are just generally critical about anything and everything.
  17. Apr 20, 2011
    This is everything I hoped it would be; the story pulls you along, the characters and dialogue shine, and the puzzles are tremendous fun to work out. Some of them are easy, others challenging.

I haven't finished the game, so I can't speak to its length, but I've put in a solid 4 or 5 hours and I'd guess I'm at the 1/2 point or so. I haven't played the coop yet, but I'm excited to check it
    out. As a disclaimer, I should point out that I didn't not participate in the controversial ARG, and I doubt I will even look at any skin-related DLC. I imagine much of the controversy on the quality of this game has to do with expectations about early release through buying the bundle. As to the perception that it is a console port, let me make it clear that I have little stomach for console first-person games (I don't own a console, though I do have a 360 controller for my pc for platformers and a few good 3rd person games). I have suffered at the hands of more than a few half-assed console ports (GTA 3 and Deux Ex 2, to name a few) and this has none of that. I would argue that some of the console-induced features, like careful labelling of control instructions, is a good thing and makes the game more fun to play. If you're reading reviews to decide whether to get the game, maybe you should play a friends' copy first. I think that anyone who really enjoyed the first game will find this one satisfying. Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is totally awesome! It's been a loooong time (quoting GlaDOS) since I've played such a great game. It surely doesn't deserve the negative reviews that trollers are giving it. And the end, OMG - it's just perfect. I mean, everybody already knew it was gonna be like this, right? It's Valve. Expand
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    While lacking in absolute perfection, the game is delivered in a highly competent manner, with a compelling storyline, well written (and acted) dialogue, challenging puzzles, and great new features there is really little to complain about.

Reasonably extensive developer commentary, cunningly hidden easter eggs, and the presence of achievements all provide an excuse to replay the game and
    enjoy the story all over again.

If you value the length of a single player experience above all else, this game may not be for you, as I was able to finish it (although I have not yet managed to find every secret or complete every achievement) within a single day, yet I did not feel that it was too short, it had a story to tell and it did so in a pleasing way.
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    After playing the single player campaign I must say One of the funniest games i have ever played. The story is hilarious and the voice acting is some of the best work i have seen. The puzzles are difficult but ramp up nicely so that your not discouraged. Amazing visuals. A thrill and a joy to play. This is a must buy.
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    The narrative, art, music, and most of all gameplay are top tier stuff, as to be expected from Valve. The game is incredibly polished, the story is subtle, not shoved in your face, but there for you to decode to and piece together - a massive part of the fun of the game is reading signs on the walls, or listening to pre-recorded announcements by a certain Cave Johnson. the depth is insane, the art and level direction is masterful. The humour is spot-on, the puzzles aren't too easy but aren't impossibly hard, either. Portal 2 is to Portal 1 what Assassin's Creed 2 was to Assassin's Creed 2. Taking what was essentially an unpolished, short tech demo and game engine and creating a masterpiece out of it. At the end of Portal 2, despite the game not being the longest out there or the fact that it only has 3 characters including the mute protagonist, I felt as if I'd been on an epic journey, and the sense of relief at the end of the game was an incredible rush, something few games can offer.

Portal 2 is a game of brilliance and uniqueness you will not experience with anything else in the video game medium.
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    The single player portion was fantastic. But to my surprise the co-op us where this game shines. I could have never imagined that playing portal with 2 people would be so fun.
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    Just fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but since all its content is not essential to the gameplay or the levels themselves its just a little gimmick thing for those who want to wear cute little hats on cute little robots and I can't see anyone making a big deal about something as little as that Expand
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    I've never written a review for a game but Portal 2 compels me to. This game is perfect. It is shorter than average. It reminds me how much fun games in this medium can be. It does not waste my time. Some people are upset by this.
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    Love every minute! Multi-player is brilliant!

I have no idea why some people her give the game so much hate. Its a full price title and its worth it.
    For me, so far the game of the year.
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    Briliant game, perfect in almost every way. Great story, characters, design and visuals. I really don't get all the ranting. Let me address the issues:
    1. Game is 4 hours short - now how is that even possible? The game took me 7,5 hours to beat and I was not once stopped on a difficult puzzle...and that is only single-player.
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are
    just a set of optional hats and gestures. And honestly, if anyone is stupig enough to pay real money for a stupid hat in a game, then that's their problem. Also they are unlockable within the game. Valve never made a payed DLC that was an extension for a game. All updates for TF2 were free, all campaigns for L4D were free. So most likely any extensions for Portal 2 will also be free...
    3. No replay value - really? I assume they got all the achievements, found all the secrets, marvelled at every detail on their first game...good job. I played through Portal 1 at least 4 times and every time it was incredible fun. After beating Portal 2 I got an imidiate urge to play through it again.
    Great game, totally worth the 50$. Really, don't listen to the rants and low scores.
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply Valve's best game ever with brilliant humor and intelligent awesome gameplay. Thanks Valve for making me happy with this secound part of Portal. Even the Coop is awesome which I first had some doubts. Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    Ignore the negative comments. The game is Portal 1 + A ton of new stuff and multilayer. Need I say more? Wait, I will. I've logged 16 hours in Portal 1 and beat it about 5 times during that time frame (I also did the challenge modes). However, I've logged almost as much time (13 hours) in Portal 2. During that I've beaten the single-player campaign and multi-player campaign once each. The game as a whole is much longer than Portal 1. It's worth the $50 you pay for it. Expand
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some bling for your robot. Over all, this game is funny, original, and the standard for this type of puzzle game. Sure some of the problems are easy to solve but they don't need to crush peoples spirits to keep the trolls happy with uber hard genius level puzzles do they? I'll likely play this game over and over with my friends and I'd love to play it at some LAN events! Keep it up Valve! :) Expand
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    It's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make you stop and think (while being mocked by the excellent AI's). The entire story, even if attempting to blaze through the game would take 4 hours AT BEST. I ran through it casually in a little over 6 and still feel like I might have missed out on some things. There's a load of new achievements as well that require a fair amount of skill to complete which adds another level of depth to the game, let alone the multiplayer.

If you liked Portal, this game is worth the 45$ on Steam. If you're paying more than that for the game, then it's your problem for not buying it cheaper. It improves and expands on every aspect of the original. People that are all ruffled over the ARG and Potato Sack need to move along, neither of those should affect the rating of the game itself. As an aside, the ARG was all about generating hype (which it did very well, imo) and the Potato Sack supported a load of indie games at a massive discount that I also felt was well worth it.
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    I want also to make this clear,Portal 2 is a great game, The music,the atmosphere ,the game play is superb,Valve Deserves it. I am also very annoyed with people who are giving low scores. This game is great and it will probably be the best game of the year.
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority of other games out there - this is a diamond in the rough, a shining beacon for our gaming medium. Expand
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters and environment alive.

The gameplay and controls are very polished, as can be expected from a Valve game. Challenges are very close to being the perfect kind of challenging, I think the maximum amount of time I spent being stuck on any given test room was twenty minutes, and it wasn't often. The feeling of satisfaction from beating the puzzles is fantastic, and the pacing of the game is very fluid. The single player took me about eight hours, and while many people claim to have completed it in four I would like to point out that the timer for Steam for Portal 2 is a little off as after my initial three hours of play I decided to take a break and noticed that my Portal 2 timer only said I have been playing nineteen minutes.

I've only played a few chambers of coop, but I have to say that being able to play with a friend is amazing, and the unlockable emoticons, especially the ones that include both of the robots are satisfying to do. GlaDOS isn't lacking in coop either and she'll talk and give little quips about what you're doing and insult you as she normally does with Chell.

My last statement would be that I am a college student and don't have a huge budget for video games, normally I buy bargain bins and Steam sales, but I got sucked into the hype and bought it for PS3 for $60. Of course I'm not saying you should go out and buy it right now, but when you see a price you can afford for the game or have a friend you can borrow it from, then do it because you will not regret it.
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    As any game by Valve, I loved it. Great fun, great story, great voice acting, great graphics (Source Engine still rocks :D )... everything was great about it. It should be given the Game of the Year award.

I was really happy when I saw that glass (broken glass to be precise) finally looked realistic in a Source game, as well as the fact that subtitles/closed captions were finally looking
    smooth and had a nice font in a Source game. --> if Valve update other source games to also utulize this, I'd be very happy, but probably not... (especially not Source games not made by Valve)

Yeah, yeah there's this whole thing about the in-game Store in CO-OP Mode, the MP part of Portal 2. But that doesn't make me lower my score. It's something Valve decided, some like some don't, but you don't need to buy the extra content to play the game. The player models and maps are there by default. I doubt that skins or hats have much effect on gameplay. Gesture on the other hand MIGHT (--> see TF2 taunts), but all in all seem rather insignificant.

10/10 is my final answer :D
  35. Apr 20, 2011
    I think this is the best game what I played! I can´t understand the negative user score. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing!!!!
    Thank you Valve!!!
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game. I think most people are disappointed because Valve sets the bar so high that it is hard for it to reach expectations. If this were a game from another publisher, people might give higher reviews. It's similar in length to most games these days so I don't see any issue there. It also is much longer that the first game with much more effort put into it so I would say that justifies the price. I bought the PC version which is 10 bucks cheaper than the XBOX / PS3 versions so maybe this is why I don't mind as much. As a game, it is very entertaining, pulls you in and makes the user think out the puzzles. Now I am off to start co-op mode! Expand
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    The people here who are rating a this game a 0? Are they even playing the same game I am? Level design is perfect, the voice acting and script are just amazing. I'm 9 hours in and I'm almost done but this game is damn perfect in my book. The co-op is a blast...thank you so much Valve, thank you thank you thank you!
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    Great stuff! The graphics are gorgeous, the audio evocative, the characterbots fun and yes its too short only
    because its so much fun you don't want it to end. It runs very well on my ageing machine: 2.8 gig 32 bit P4,
    4650 ATI (1 gig). With all settings put to max there's no problem. Worth the money!
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    The game is astoundingly well done and despite the fact that the Source engine is nearly a decade old, Portal 2 looks fantastic. Anyone who is reviewing negatively really just wants a soap box to rage on, despite the fact that everyone is going to play it.
  40. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is brilliant. Its puzzles remain world-class, its sense of humor poignant and sharp, and it's beautiful to behold. It is a rather short game, but I would prefer a short experience that exceeded my expectations than a long, drawn-out, dull one. And replay value lives on as I will, most certainly, complete the game several times.

And this is before I've even started the
    co-operative play.

Bottom line: Buy it. A great title by a great company!
  41. Apr 20, 2011
    The co-op campaign is awesome, but a bit short. Great story and dialog. Builds on the creepiness and humor of the original. Will likely be playing this one again and again.
  42. Apr 20, 2011
    Worth $40 in my book (I pre-ordered and split a 2 pack on steam), not quite worth the full $50 unless you really feel like giving valve your money.

The game itself improves on the gameplay of portal and valve manages to cram a huge amount of back story into a series that previously had none.
    The game is quite a bit longer than portal and the co-op is a nice addition but being a
    "puzzle"game it doesn't have that much replay value. Being that this is a single player focused game, valve really should have bundled something with it to make it more worthwhile over the long run, maybe a competitive multiplayer mode of some sort.

Graphics wise, portal 2 isnt nearly as shiny as some other games on the market, but who cares,? The game is well polished, looks pretty good and will run at high framerates even on relatively dated hardware.

Oh and all the trolls who have been writing low reviews should shut up, the "DLC" is a bunch of OPTIONAL skins and emotes that are not required. If you require non essential skins and emotes to play portal 2, you need help, cause you compulsively spend money for no reason.
    DLC system is no different from TF2, actually IMO is better cause you cant buy weapons or anything that changes your stats!
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Without a doubt a 10/10 game. Portal 2 was a fantastic game with great gameplay, story, and voice acting. Furthermore, you don't have to be a twitchy finger FPS fan to love it.

First the gameplay:
    If you enjoyed the puzzles of Portal 1, than Portal 2 will be a seamless fit. The game offers much of the same puzzle mechanisms from the original, but also adds in plenty of new features as the game progresses. Different gels each with their own unique properties; light bridges which sometimes act as make-shift walls; a new box for redirecting lasers; and a tractor beam. With all these new features there were times I even forgot I had a portal gun.

The difficulty will vary from person to person. For me, the difficulty felt hard enough to offer many challenges. Some puzzles had me scratching my head for 10-15 minutes. However, it never felt too overwhelming. Those who played Portal 1 and other puzzle games will have an easier time moving through the game, while beginners may be in for a longer experience. In the sequal There was much less reliance on perfectly timing your portals with quick fingers, and more time devoted to thinking it out and executing it.

The Story:
    The story over all was excellent. Through out most of the game it played out in an engaging and timely fashion. The writing was top notch, and it didn't really feel dull. My only complaint about the game was the transition from the new facility to the older facility. It felt like it dragged on a little bit in the middle. However, the game picked up in the third and final part of the game so it's not a major problem.

Voice Acting:
    Voice acting for the 3 Non Playable Characters was excellent. They are what made the story as enjoyable as it was. Fans of Portal 1 will love GLADOS. Her passive aggressive comments to the main character and her "straight-man" role with Wheatly was spot on. Speaking of Wheatly, he is a bumbling and moronic AI who is absolutely hilarious throughout the entire game. He made me laugh through most of the game. He's voiced by a British comedian, but I can't remember his name. Finally Cave Johnson is voiced by JJ Jameson in the Spiderman movies. Both personalities are the same, so you get the picture.

If you're a fan of puzzle games and you enjoy witty dialogue, Portal 2 is a must buy.
  44. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome sequel. Great new added physics items. Nice coop play extends the game in a new direction. Valve has always put out great games and has done the right thing for us, the customers. Worst part of the game are these whiny entitlement generation pricks. Ignoring them here and in RL is the best answer.
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is pure, really well optimized, perfect length (doesn't get repetitive) and some nice new additions such as co-op which really add a nice new level to the game. The script is once again near perfect with almost every line from Glados or Wheatley having some humorous aspect to it, fingers crossed for Portal 3 - Nice job Valve
  46. Apr 20, 2011
    Been playing video games for many years and this has entered my top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5. If you didnt like portal 1 you will likely not like this, however that being said it is better in every possible way to portal 1. Much longer. Single player is a good length and on top of that there is another co op story which also quite good. Graphics are beautiful, environment is incredable and the voice acting/writing is on par with the best I've played. PC gamers and truly gamers everywhere are very lucky to have a company like valve that clearly love their products and customers. THANK YOU VALVE

Also, PS3 cross platforming is so awesome.
  47. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is glorious. Hilarious, incredibly well written, and full of moments that made my jaw genuinely drop with delight. I'm excited for future games in the series, but mainly can't wait to replay this one. Again and again, probably. Well done.
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    I can only laugh at the negative reviews this fantastic game has apparently been gathering (no doubt from the same crowd as the l4d2 boycott). I suppose if you put the game on mute without subtitles, ignored the developer commentary and other extra features, dismissed the coop because you have no friends, and only played the first hour of the game, you would have a legitimate reason to be dissatisfied with Portal 2. Expand
  49. Apr 23, 2011
    An excellent game in all areas - especially sound design and voice acting. Level design is perhaps too perfect and lean, but Portal 2 in its design and theme serves as a neat deconstruction of Valve's approach to making games. All in all, it's creative, funny and extremely enjoyable.
  50. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is just AMAZING! I finished all the singleplayer and now I'm ready to play the co-op. It's obviously that Valve put a lot of time in developing this game and the game is worth every euro. Great job Valve! I'm never disappointed by any of your games :)
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    Here you have it. This game has a great chance of becoming the game of the year. The length of it isn't very impressive, but you know what I tend to say? Quality comes before quantity. And boy, if you knew the quality of this game.

First of all, the single-player can be finished in between five and ten hours, depending on how fast you go, if you stay to listen at the hilarious dialogue
    the game has, and how much of a genius you are. It doesn't have too much of replayability, but it's likely that you play it twice. I'm at my second playthrough as of now, and I'm still enjoying it.
    The second part of the game is my favourite one. The co-op. I have always said that co-op makes any game better, and that still stands. But what valve gave me exceeded my highest expectations. I couldn't go anywhere without my friend, I couldn't achieve anything at all. I needed him as much as he needed me. A lot, that is. I loved it.

With very loveable characters, a wonderful story and very original ideas, Valve once again shows us what they have to offer. And they only offer the best.
    So disregard the haters, and go buy the game. Because, you know what? Everything is fine here, Everything is more than fine.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is in every single way the best thing Valve has done in the last decade. It brings a fresh breath to the games we have today where a FPS will mean realistic reenactment of some war in some country that happened some time ago. Do not let the review scores of 1's and 0's from other users fool you. This game has puzzles that will wrack your brain till no end. What caught my eye: Everything and anything. This game had everything I had hoped for. If I was not bashing my head on the table trying to solve these puzzles, I was laughing at the commentary that the AI's provide throughout the whole game. I think the reason why these games felt as short as it did was because I couldn't put this game down UNTIL I was at the end, no matter how late or brain dead you might be. This gameplay was smooth (quite predictable given valve's fps engine), the character development was phenomenal (trust me, if you're actually paying attention to the game you WILL laugh), and the story was without a doubt amazing. Multiplayer mode isn't simply throwing two players together and giving them puzzles. Each problem required cooperation and timing from both you and your co-op partner. The game even gives you the ability to go through the whole thing without having to speak a word (though there are chat/voice options).

What I felt a little meh about:
    Nothing! I felt quite satisfied when I completed this game (at 3am with a dead brain) and rarely does this happen.

Conclusion:
    Its difficult to sum up how good this game is compared to what we have today. I cannot think of one word to sum it up simply because there are too many to describe this game. Comedic yet having some form of seriousness. Addicting? Probably. This game will probably make the game of the year. >>>TL;DR: PLAY IT GOD DAMMIT
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    Short and sweet, to be sure - but very, very sweet, to be absolutely sure. Improved literally every aspect of the original Portal, which says a lot in itself; greater humor, level design, story, and just general awesomeness. I'm aware there are a few extremely inconsequential things people are blowing way out of proportion (and you'd truly be hard-pressed to find another company more unworthy of such infantile attacks), but I didn't even notice these things because I was too busy enjoying such an utterly fantastic game. Expand
  54. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game, extremely innovative and fun. I'm surprised by how LONG the game is, considering that Portal was very short. I've clocked some 12 hours and have yet to finish the game (almost done with single player, about halfway done with co-op). Puzzles can be very challenging, but it's a great feeling when you finally solve them. I can't recommend it enough!
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant enhancement over the first Portal game in every way, including story. Attention to detail is staggering, perhaps best of anything Valve has ever done now. They just know how to do games right. You can take or LEAVE the "micro-transaction" stuff, just so you know. Anyway, in the end, haters beware! lol
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    Buen juego pero algo corto, aunque el modo co-op aumenta la vida de Portal 2. También está bien la tienda esa, aunque no lo veo del todo bien. Tampoco se cruza demasiado con el mundo de Half-Life, aunque no le hace falta. Excelente juego.
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    Immersive story, extremely funny cast of characters, atmospheric music + stunning visuals even on the source engine and still as unique gameplay as ever. The most fun I have had with gaming in a long time.
  58. May 28, 2011
    Absolutely Brilliant. I loved the first game, I love this one even more! It's a lot more complicated though! Highly recommened!!! I don't think I'll be able to return to portal 1 after this game. I also loved the music and half life feel to it. CO-op is also brilliant
  59. Apr 21, 2011
    There are idiots out that that rate the game low scores. Why? Because of some OPTIONAL DLC? And the potato sack thing? OPTIONAL! O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L-! Besides, does the OPTIONAL DLC ruin the game if you don't buy it? Does it make the game crash if you don't buy it? The campaign is short? 6 to 8 hours, plus 2 -4 hours co-op is too short? Accept it. This game is very good, and is playable. The controls work fine, the graphics are good, the humor is nice, what more could you want? I made this account to vent my frustration at the idiots out there. Expand
  60. Apr 21, 2011
    Loved the single player. Great dialogue and witty humor is a huge plus. The game kept up a great pace because of it's great story and interesting mechanics. The co-op is also great. It gives the opportunity to keep playing amazing portal based puzzles that made you fall in love with the first Portal. That and GladOS's superb dialogue.
  61. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the best game out there. So far the story is amazing and I don't want to spoil you with anything. Just enjoy your ride through the Aperture facilities and try to find your way out of this mess. Only 3 games could be better in the future: Episode Three, Mass Effect 3 and Half-Life 3 :D
  62. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic game, The level structure is great, the writing is masterful, voice acting incredible and the art design amazing. This takes everything that Portal did right and added onto it.
  63. Apr 21, 2011
    Visually stunning game. Challenging puzzles for previous players as well as new players. Humorous and fun. I enjoyed every level of this game (and the satisfying conclusion). I can't think of a way that Valve could have made it better.
  64. Apr 21, 2011
    The negative user reviews this game is getting are insane. This game is one the most humorous, challenging and overall enjoyable games I have ever played. The campaign leaves nothing lacking, and the graphics and art style are unique, while not being overly similar to the original. Although I cannot quite see the logic behind the item store, it is by no means a hindrance on the game, seeing as the only purchases available are cosmetic. The characters are brilliantly voiced and this is by far the best game I have played in recent years. Expand
  65. Vix
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have rarely enjoyed in a game this much. Game is not short at all, played a fair couple of hours and I never used more than 10 minutes at a chamber, but simply enjoying the environment game offers and looking for secrets has extended my experience to a fair amount. Even first few chapters when I was already sure that game will end after 4th or 5th chapter, I got simply blown off by the awesomeness of story and when I thought game could not get any better, I got to the chambers with the gel. One of the best games ever. Expand
  66. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back to the testing days of yore with many fun twists, and the characters are just as easy to fall in love with as before.

GAMEPLAY:
    Portal 2, like Portal 1, features impeccable gameplay. You will find nary a glitch or bug to hinder your experience. In single player, we are all familiar with the way we use the portal gun, and that hasn't changed. After a new character, a personality sphere named Wheatley wakes you from a sort of cryo sleep at the start of the game, and you find the portal gun by going through derelict versions of some of the first Portal 1 chambers. I found this nostalgically satisfying, but worrisome that Valve might just make a repeat game. However, you will see that this beginning is nothing to fret. It worked so well to introduce the mechanics in Portal 1, why not do it again, but with a twist? It effectively satisfies both old and new players alike.

Without revealing any spoilers, many new types of objects gan be used to solve some of these ingenious puzzles. Hard Light Bridges, Discouragement Beams (lasers), Excursion Funnels (energy tubes that carry objects and characters), and the Gels; Propulsion (an orange substance that makes you run fast) and Repulsion (blue substance that causes you to bounce high in the air) are all able to be manipulated by portals. Some of these tests can be as mind boggling as you might expect, and give the game a flavor all its own.

The Co-op story focuses more on the test chamber feel of Portal 1 than the single player story. The use of two sets of portals allows for wider range of possibilities in puzzle solving, and the brilliance of these tests impressed me with each progressive chamber. While not as story driven as Chell's encounters, gameplay truly dominates the Co-op as it did for much of the first title. And as a little bonus, you can interact with your Partner in Science by the way of hugs, high fives, dancing, or even a good old rock paper scissors match! It's easy to grow attatched to these characters, much easier than I had assumed.  Both modes are immensely fun to play through and don't disappoint those who love the good old Portal playstyle.

STORY:
    Without spoiling anything, I will simply say the the single player story is excellent. At times, the pace is slowed because of focus on the story, but by the end of the game you will be in awe. The characters are deep and multilayered, the story develops in ways the first game could not have, and our good enemy GLaDOS is back with a vengeance. Wth many more characters, a bittersweet, heartwarming and epic ending, and another addictingly catchy song during credits, this story meets the par set by its predecessor.

GRAPHICS:
    Portal 2, like most of Valve's titles for the last decade, runs off of the Source engine. With each game it releases Valve manages to up the engine capabilities. This game is no exception. While it doesn't have huge scenarios like L4D or HL2, it does have a level of polish no less than that of their last release, Left 4 Dead 2. The items and people are smooth and streamlined while the textures are rich, varied, and detailed. This game is easy on the eyes and sells its unique atmosphere..

SOUND:
    GLaDOS, the Portal Gun, the turrets, and any other returning objects sound about the same, if not better. The music is catchy and mood setting, but never dominates the game in an unnecessary way. Not a sound is out of place with his game, from the boxes bouncing, to the Excursion Funnel carrying, to a defective turret flying through the air. All the voices in the game are fitting, and extremely well performed. And if this isn't enough, Jonathan Coutlon has another GLaDOS voiced song to fill the credits.

DOWNSIDES:
    Portal 2 is brilliantly crafted, no doubt, but not perfect. For one, it lacks the "wow" factor of the first game. This is unavoidable. Portal 1 introduced a grand, groundbreaking concept to both the puzzle and shooter genres of gaming. This doesn't do that, but rather expands upon it. So don't expect the same awestruck feeling as when you popped in Still Alive. Also, the pacing sacrifice for the story can be annoying when you're just walking around random passageways for 20 minutes. Finally, seeing as the game is no more than 8 hours solid, the $60 price is a bit high.

All in all, Valve has crafted yet another great game, and any Portal lover should get their hands on this title ASAP. Start thinking with portals, again.
  67. Apr 22, 2011
    This review is mostly to counteract the hundreds of idiotic negative reviews of this game, but in addition to that, unlike most of those negative reviews, I have actually played through and finished the game. It seems as if most people whine and complain about money. They must have gotten spoiled from the price of Portal or something. Here's the thing: Portal 2 is still a fantastic game for the price. It amazes me just how many people will pay $50 for a garbage RPG that takes 40 hours to play through, but then will balk at paying $50 for an exceptional puzzle game that takes 12 hours to play through.

And then there's the whole "DLC" argument. Completely ridiculous. The "DLC" doesn't feature any new content in the game. Period. It's hats and gestures. That's it. Are you really going to throw a temper tantrum because Valve didn't give you a hat for your co-op robot for free? Grow up.

The level design is breathtaking, and the puzzles are brilliant. The dialogue is the best I've heard in a video game, ever. The graphics are fantastic, and do not, in any way, appear like a console port (which this is most definitely not). Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons both deliver fantastic and memorable performances.

If I had to take a few tenths of a point off, I would dock the game for 2 things:

1) Frequency of loading times. I realize they were around in the original Portal, but they weren't as noticable. Unfortunately, they are back for this game, which is disappointing. Not the end of the world though.

2) Emphasis on co-op mode. I realize that co-op mode is great for those who have people to play with, or who don't mind getting randomly paired up online, but that's not the case for everybody. It's slightly frustrating to know that half of the game is dedicated to this mode. Not a big deal, though.
  68. Apr 22, 2011
    There is a huge dearth between Valve the marketer and Valve the Game Developer, with one of the worst promotional schemes ever devised (ARG releasing one day early fiasco/scam) for easily the best single player experience that has ever graced the face of the earth (The game starts off good/average and rises until one of the best endings ever).

If you can ignore one the worst/most
    ill-conceived marketing campaigns that has ever existed, this series will be written in the history books of game designers as the video game equivalent to the Godfather or Citizen Kane. Expand
  69. Apr 24, 2011
    First of all this game is true to its predecessor. it took all the elements of portal and made them better, it even incorperated som new very clever features. all this with a compelling story, epic scenery great graphics, and all the good stuff that you would expect from a AAA title like portal, and not only that but when its from valve, so you know it will be great.

the new multiplayer
    features that are included will make for hours of playing fun with friends, high class puzzle solving is just the thing to make the time go by, they deserve a full score for the work they put into this title. truly a game worth buying if you enjoyed the first one, and maybye even if you did not.. Expand
  70. Apr 22, 2011
    A Valve masterpiece. Finished the Single Player Campaign and have not even touched the Co-op, but after seeing the awesome ending of this game I felt compelled to write a review about it. In this review I would like to set some things straight.

First of all, the game is not as short as some people are saying it is. People that are saying they beat the game in 2 - 4 hours are LYING.
    There is no way you can beat the game that fast. The single player took me 12 hours to beat. Now that's considering that I like to take my time and listen to all the FUNNY dialogue this game has. If I rushed it though I probably could have beaten it in about 7 - 9 hours.

Did I mention the game is FUNNY? This is probably the funniest game I have ever played in my life. I have never laughed out loud so many times in a game as I did in this one. J.K. Simmons and Stephen Merchant deserve metals.

I have seen some people say that the game was too easy, but for me the difficulty was perfect. (maybe they're geniuses with 150 IQs and I'm a dumbass) I honestly don't care I just had fun. In some of the harder chambers I would walk around and not know what to do. After messing around for some time the solution would suddenly hit me. And I would think "I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner". I would then solve the puzzle and feel a little sense of accomplishment. The game has an excellent learning curve, and if you can visualize yourself solving the puzzle you can execute it. The puzzles are not as dexterity based as some of the ones in portal.

I've heard people say the game has dated graphics which is odd because to me the game had excellent graphics. The source engine still looks great and runs so smooth. 60 fps on the highest settings (no crashes) and I just have a medium powered graphics card (GTS 250). One thing I appreciate about valve games is that the games run so smooth and look so great on less powerful machines.

And about the DLC robot Store. No one is forcing you to buy anything. End of story. Get over it. I can't believe there are people giving the game a 0 solely for that. To conclude. Thank you GABEN and Valve for making yet another awesome game! This game easily deserves Game of the Year for 2011.
  71. Apr 22, 2011
    While I am a hard-core portal fan, I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Also, I believe I managed to leave out any potential spoilers. I started playing Portal 2 with extremely high expectations, and these expectations were exceeded. Valve really revived the meaning of a "sequel." Portal 2 is not just Portal with a fresh coat of paint; it is an immersing experience with a spot-on storyline that ties remarkably well into the original. I also have yet to experience any kind of bug of glitch, which is rare these days for games on launch days (*cough* Treyarch). GLaDOS' dialogue is better than ever - she retains her witty satire, while at the same time introduces an underlying cold tone to her speech. One thing I disliked about the first game was the monotonous sequence of one test chamber after another. Portal 2 is full of surprises and allows the gamer to become much more involved and wonder what will happen next. The introduction of new testing elements (e.g. repulsion/speed gel) adds a new dimension to progressing through some of the chambers. However, I did only get "stuck" in the campaign a few times, and after a little bit of thinking I always managed to figure out what to do. While this may be due to my decent past portal experience, or my aptitude for puzzle solving, it is of my opinion that the game may have been designed to be too catered to inexperienced players. Often it was too obvious how to solve the puzzles, and while the actual solutions may have yielded a feeling of success or intelligence, it was clear that figuring out the solution was not that complicated. For example, on many occasions I found out the correct portal placements just because there was no other place to put a portal. Also, while I really enjoyed the ending of the game, I was disappointed with the final encounter. It was too simple and in my opinion did not take advantage of the new elements of the game effectively. Addressing the length of the game briefly, I completed the game in roughly 7 hours. Keep in mind that this was a casual pace. While claims of beating the game in 4-6 hours may be true, I can assure you that if you progress at a leisurely pace and enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played, you will get a solid 7-9 hours out of the campaign. Despite my complaints, I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign of Portal 2. The co-op mode is a particularly interesting component, especially because I predict that more will be coming for it through DLC. Valve setup the co-op very well, including aiding tools such as countdown timers and portal markers, as well as including many hilarious comments from GLaDOS. There appears to be a greater range of difficulty here as well, and while I have not yet completed all of the co-op levels, things are beginning to get tricky. Still, my co-op partner and I feel that the chambers have been a bit on the easy side. We have only played co-op for about 2 hours (max) and yet only have one more chapter to go. However, it has been loads of fun and a great teamwork experience. Also, I have yet to play with a random person in co-op, but I imagine that this would be an interesting experience on its own; I don't know what it would be like to play with someone who is incompetent! But who knows, this could just make it more interesting and force the more experienced player into a leading role. I imagine (and am desperately hoping!) that DLC with arrive in the future. It seems like too much of an opportunity for Valve to pass up. I also predict map editing tools to allow for custom map building. For now though, we can only wait and see.

So those are just my thoughts on the game. I really struggled giving this game less than a 10, but unfortunately I just felt that the advanced Portal'ers were slightly shunned. Nevertheless, the game is well worth the $45 I spent on it, and have no regrets at all.
  72. Apr 22, 2011
    A simply amazing and immersive game with a unique humour and style, as well as a brilliant storyline, Portal 2 is a must-buy. I was blown away by how much it had improved in every important way over the original Portal, which itself was immensely popular. So, to everyone complaining about the DLC, why? Portal 2 is one of the few games with DLC where I'm NOT annoyed. Why? Because they don't withhold from you anything that actually matters. No missing gameplay, no new plot, no unbalanced extras forcing you to pay £3 to have a chance of actually winning. No, what does Portal 2 offer? Aesthetic extras for multiplayer. Completely optional, as they leave you at no practical disadvantage if you don't buy them. So you don't want to pay for a top hat? Just go without. It's not like you'll see it much in first person anyway, and you won't sacrifice any actual gameplay or anything else that actually matters by not buying. Want to show how much you hate DLC? Pick a game that forces you to pay for actual content, not for purely aesthetic extras. For a better summary of why you shouldn't care about Portal 2's DLC, read this: http://bit.ly/fNqedb if that's TL:DR, then just read the last half of the second page, that's the important bit. Please? Expand
  73. Apr 22, 2011
    An extremely enjoyable FPP with an amazing design abd aesthetic, I love the fact that the co op is cross-platform so I can play with the console peasants =p

the single and multi-player are extremely good with a solid difficulty curve and difficult puzzles that challenge conventional thinking. The dialogue is witty with lots of easter eggs and conspiracy theories to be had. and I honestly
    laughed in a fit when hearing some of what Cave Johnson had to say

and on a final note is the store... I don't see what the rage is about? it's only cosmetic and isn't even advertised in game, not sure why it's being flamed, I even like the skins and payed about $3 for one
  74. Apr 22, 2011
    An amazing game and you would miss out on an amazing experience that surpasses the first and is now my favorite game and perhaps the best game ever made. Beautiful levels, complicated puzzle that once you figure out you will face palm yourself on how simple it was in the end. A truly amazing experience if you haven't picked it up yet go to gamestop or download it on steam as soon as you can. You will regret it if you miss the game of the year and one of the best games ever made. Expand
  75. Apr 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view.
  76. Apr 22, 2011
    This is the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Thanks, Valve - you knocked this game out of the park and I treasured every minute of it. Okay - later... I'm off to go play the multiplayer part of the game again.
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is so far the best game of the year. the first portal may be one of my most loved games ever made but i think it will have to make room for this gem of a game. I've been hyped up for this game for a while and it delivers in every aspect of the game. Aperture science has fallen into disrepair ever since GLaDOS was "shut down" by the chell the main protagonist from the first portal game. Chell is back and after being dragged back into stasis she has been woken up by wheatly and there both trying to make a brake for it. I really enjoyed the story it really passed itself and gave us a cool in site into aperture science. As for the game play your once again solving an increasing number of puzzles which will prod and poke your mind until that enviable "AH HA" which makes you feel good. There have been some new mechanics added to spice things up like gels, light bridges and excursion funnels. The puzzle design doesn't seem cheap or makes you feel like its too hard it just has the right amount of difficulty at the right time. Also an addition is to take the game online and take part in the co-op story mode where its an all new story with all new things to master. over all I really enjoyed this game and I think this should go down as one of the most enjoyable games to play. Expand
  78. Apr 22, 2011
    Might have been a better then the first Portal. I loved it so much. Best games I have played to date. If you are going to play anything this year, make sure you play Portal 2. If your buy it on Steam you will get Portal one for free so you can catch up on the story.
  79. Apr 22, 2011
    Compelling story from start finish that keeps you guessing. The dialog and characters are hilarious. This game could have had terrible gameplay and still be fun just based on the humor, but it takes the portal metaphor to new levels with all sorts of new contraptions, even if some which were previewed in early trailers were removed.
  80. Apr 23, 2011
    Many people here are complaining that it portal 2 is a short game- it is somewhat short, although much longer than the original. Personally I think portal represents some of Valve's best work to date, and while it's not for everyone, if you enjoyed portal one you'll immensely enjoy this.
  81. Apr 23, 2011
    A beautifully crafted and unforgettable experience. Portal 2 is a masterpiece; you are plunged into an entirely engrossing world, with characters that engage you from the start. The level design, game mechanic, voice acting, animation and unique game-world are all perfectly polished to a blinding sheen. You'll be lucky to find characters that are anywhere near as interesting and well designed, or a setting as singularly unique and well crafted in any hollywood movie this year, let alone a game. The only way in which this game fails to meet expectations is that the puzzles never soar to the brain-crunchingly intricate design of Portal 1's end-game. Throughout the game we are introduced to a wide variety of mechanics that never quite come together in the complexity that one would hope.

Some mention should be made of the mob-mentality negative reviews you'll find here on metacritic. The ARG for this game promised an early launch if people downloaded some independent games on steam. They are all great games, so not only have people contributed to small indie developers success, but they have also received a bundle of excellent critically acclaimed games at a massive discount. And Portal 2 was released early. This was not enough for some people - they wanted Portal 2 even earlier, and their bitterness and rage has caused a wave of negativity on the user reviews, users citing Portal 2 as too short and boring. They clearly haven't played it. Portal 2, when played for speed and skipping as much content as possible could probably be completed in 6 hours. 8-10 is more probable, for a normal play-through, and we're not even counting the standalone co-op campaign here. No, these accusations are fueled by a combination of rage, idiocy and a lack of understanding that the steam play-timer is wildly inaccurate.

What are you doing reading user reviews anyway? Read the critic reviews for an untainted review-pool, and go play the game now!
  82. Apr 23, 2011
    This is a wonderful title - cleverly written with great humor, solid mechanics that expand and evolve slowly, and a great length that provides satisfaction without overstaying its welcome. And some wonderful co-op gameplay that's been some of my most enjoyable in recent memory.

The negative reviews are all due to people being unnecessarily upset about the DLC, which a) can be obtained by
    completing in-game achievements, and b) is all cosmetic. You DO get ALL of the content that's important with the purchase price of the game. If you want your little robot to look different in a co-op campaign then by all means purchase a different paint scheme or top hat, or just unlock the achievements for it. But there's no need to bash this title for doing something as innocuous as adding unimportant and non-functional DLC.

Portal 2 is a great title, and one of the best games of this current generation. And the ending is completely brilliant - well done to everyone at Valve for providing such a satisfying conclusion and toying with the mood so perfectly. Don't miss out on enjoying this gem!
  83. Apr 23, 2011
    This game is incredibly well written and funny. Valve managed to actually make a successor to Portal that is worth the name. I had a great time finishing the single player and playing coop with a friend. I do wish the puzzles were a little more challenging but the story makes more than up for that. When it comes to the item store I: A: don't mind it since there is no "vital" content in there and

B: don't think that people understand what the item store means. Valve very well knows that people wont buy stuff for a coop mode that has almost no replay value. And there is a hub world in coop with a LOT of space that is not used. Taking valves track record of supporting their own products the only logical conclusion is: There will be new test tracks as DLC ... and those will most likely be free. That will add replay value to the game and probably make people think about buying some extra stuff in the store.

So ... before you actually criticize something like an item shop, at least take 5 minutes to think.

And to those saying this is a "lazy console port" because some guy somewhere got a "don't turn off your console" message on the PC version: grow the f* up.

This game is awesome and its very very well worth the full price.

PS: I would probably have given this game a 8 or 9 since there is always room to improve, but someone has to counter all those stupid 0/1 reviews.
  84. Apr 23, 2011
    A great follow-up to the original Portal, Portal 2 takes things a step further with a longer, more detailed single player campaign (with an intriguing expansion to the original story), more fantastic voice work, and once again the laugh out loud dark humor that made the first so great. My only complaint was that the single player could have been just a bit longer.

Go check it out!
  85. Apr 23, 2011
    Loved it from beginning to end. Loved every bit of humor. I'll be quoting lines from this at work for a while now. (Yah, i'm one of thoooose) Game-play is great. Beat single player several times. Can't wait to try out the multi-player content. Graphics seemed great to me. Though one of the guys in the developer commentary available in game claims the environments in this game is easy to do stuff to compared to some other games (...so I guess not much of an accomplishment there?). The ending song is different from the first one but seems catchy. Expand
  86. Apr 23, 2011
    Full of witty and imaginative writing and dialogue. It's been a pleasure start to finish.

Stephen Merchant's lines as Wheatly, the droid you meet are quality, but Valve should have applied some effects to his voice. He sounds too human.
  87. Apr 23, 2011
    Extremely entertaining game. It's fun from start to finish. The voice acting is as good as it gets, and it's laugh out loud funny. It's longer than the first game, but still not a really long game for just the single player. The puzzles are also not incredibly difficult. Some games are longer. Some games are harder. Yet you will have a tough time finding a game more enjoyable than Portal 2. Collapse
  88. Apr 23, 2011
    I never played the first Portal so I was a little worried about whether or not I would enjoy a puzzle game because I normally just pay FPS games, but i ended up finding it extremely fun and I can't go 1 minute without thinking about playing. Definitely cannot go wrong with a Valve game. I would recommend getting it for PS3 if you have one so you get a free PC version. Anyway the game seams a little short but I think that Valve will definitely release more content for free. Theres a lot of new games coming out but this for sure should be your number one choice. Expand
  89. Apr 23, 2011
    Great game! Single player mode is so amazing; very interesting plot, it's fun and... just so excellent! Co-op mode is also very fun and great. This is one of the best games ever.
  90. Apr 23, 2011
    Astoundingly fun and funny. The single player campaign took me 7 hours and I did not get stuck on any puzzles. I have yet to try Co-Op so I will not comment on the length or difficulty of that component. Portal 2 is an improvement on every level from the original Portal.
  91. Apr 23, 2011
    First Metacritic post here, even though I'm usually not a fan of Metacritic. On the contrary, I actually don't approve of the impact that numerous overly dramatic users can have on a game's success. But for Portal 2, I feel my voice must be heard to balance out the madness. This is an absolutely outstanding game. True, sensible, and non-dramatic fans of Portal will find much to enjoy here. Valve has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. They introduced several new concepts to puzzle chamber solving. The inclusion of the three types of gels, laser beams, light bridges, catapults, tunnels contribute a kind of variety to what is at its core a very simple game. The story is terrific. There are a precious few games and game developers that can actually pull my heartstrings, and the Portal franchise and Valve fit the bill. If I could identify one fault with this game, it would be that there is a little too much tutorial. Portal PC players know that to pick up something or open a door, one must press E. I would have preferred that the developers included an option to turn off the tutorials. Perhaps there will be a patch. But it is such a small gripe. Small enough to make me wish that Metacritic allowed users to include decimal values in their ratings. If it did, I would rate this game a 9.7. Well done, Valve. I greatly appreciate your hard work on this remarkable achievement, and this probably goes without saying, but I hope you guys are ignoring all the drama queens on this website who are panning your game for no good reason at all. GREAT JOB. Expand
  92. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is an absolute masterpiece. The voice acting is some of the best that I've ever heard, the puzzles are just hard enough, the game runs beautifully on my 3 year old PC, and the added co-op is just as enjoyable as the single player. If you've considered buying this game and haven't yet, do it! The only bad part about this game is that, now that I'm finished with it, I can never experience it for the first time again. Expand
  93. Apr 23, 2011
    The game is nothing short of amazing, and all of the kvetching about DLC is completely misguided. People try and use the slippery slope fallacy to justify giving this masterpiece a terrible score, but what they don't grasp is that among game developers, Valve is one of the few big names that is actively attempting to scrabble back up the slope.
  94. Apr 23, 2011
    Its just one of the best games ! i liked portal 1 and is just better. they did a great work with the new stuff. And the game was complete :) most of the games these times are Launched are not even finished. they did a great work with bringing a little portal 1 back :) The game also has a lot of humor :) And its just great ! 10/10 There will be a lets play soon on my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Itsgamingfriend Expand
  95. Apr 23, 2011
    Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome humor, awesome characters, awesome voice over, awesome coop - awesome game. You want to do something good for yourself? Play Portal 2. It is one of the best games I´ve ever played and certainly the funniest one. Now, go and buy it. Otherwise, you´re a moron.
  96. Nex
    Apr 23, 2011
    After finishing Portal 2 i felt into this sad-like mood....and believe me, that only happens when i finish something awesome, something over the top....Same thing happened before when i watched last episode of LOST and now with Portal 2...simply amazing game, marvel in todays sea of bad consolitis games...That is all!
  97. Apr 23, 2011
    I had to laugh at the "0" score further down. That's a retarded score that just cant be taken seriously. Anyway, simply put Portal 2 was all in all 16.2 hours of gameplay for me. That includes co-op with a friend. But those 16 hours of gameplay are hands down the most entertaining hours Ive had in ANY game for quite a few years. Basically no replayability for my sake, but I went into the deal fully aware of this. A spectacular single-player campaign with so much humor and entertainment value. And the co-op was incredibly fun as a one-time playthrough. Good job Valve. I really enjoyed this one. Expand
  98. Apr 23, 2011
    This game had a great story I just don't like some of the mechanic changes such as,
    -No more crouch jumping.
    -No more portal tunneling.
    -The portal gun cursor no longer shows you what places or portable or not.
  99. Apr 23, 2011
    A cheap console port. DLC from the start and highly priced. Pretty much valves worst game yet because of this but the game it'self is good but short.
  100. Apr 23, 2011
    A beautifully scripted narrative with top-notch performance from voice actors Ellen McLain and Stephen Merchant, Portal 2 immerses and challenges you as one of the best games from Valve to date.
    With excellent humor and good pacing, this is one of the smartest games released in a sea of unintelligent FPS rehashes.
  101. Apr 23, 2011