8.8

1. Apr 20, 2011
    These winging comments about the coop costumes and length are idiotic, I can't believe how stupid some of these reviews are. Portal 2 is an amazing game, just want episode 3 now valve!
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Without a doubt, one of the best games of the year so far. I loved "time traveling" through Aperture History and the new characters Valve put into this creative addition to the Portal universe.

Oh, and just in case there's any confusion, DLC is completely OPTIONAL. If you don't want to buy it, don't! Pretend it's not even there and you won't have to throw a hissy fit about it.
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Pay no attention to any of the negative reviews posted here, excess troll spillage from **** To be perfectly blunt, everyone who is saying the game is 4 hours long is lying. If you are looking at the Steam timer, don't. It is wrong. I have been playing for nearly 5 hours now and it said I have been playing for 2.

As for the DLC, that is also a myth. Yes there are downloadable hats and

As for the DLC, that is also a myth. Yes there are downloadable hats and such for your bot in co-op, but that is it. Yes, the hats are overpriced but so are the ones in TF2. Sorry if you lack the free will, but you don't have to buy them. Also, the game is not a console port, I guess no one realizes that. They see the message that says "Don't turn of your console" and freak. Yes, the game is made for multiple platforms and they aren't going to change the message for each one. So they put console because if the had written anything else the Xbox tards would have gotten confused. It is a fine game and ignore all of the negative reviews. As for price I pre-ordered and paid 44$ with no tax, hell I paid 60$ + tax for Black Ops. A game that is much, much worse and a little shorter. Don't believe the trolls. Grow a brain and form your own opinions.
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Ill just put this simply. One of the most satisfying games I have played. Take your time through this and really just cherish the atmosphere, the set pieces, the story and the puzzles. With ever part you complete you will not only feel accomplished but have fun figuring it out. Get this game and don't listen to haters who where tricked by valve and bought the potato sack.
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game - single player and co-op. A bit short, at 8-ish hours for the single player mode, but those were a very entertaining 8 hours. I haven't beaten the co-op yet, but it's fantastic so far as well, even better than the single player.

It was, admittedly, over all too soon for such an enjoyable game, but I trust that valve will keep up to their tradition of releasing quality content, for free, for all of their full-priced games. As far as the negative reviews, the number one biggest complaint is the "day 1 DLC" - Seriously? These people don't know what real day 1 DLC is - this is a couple of moustaches and hats and useless gestures that if they had not been in the game at all no one would have given the slightest **** - it's just icing on the cake that they're there at all, especially considering essentially no one will buy them, just like most of them would never be used anyway even if they were all free.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    There is absolutely no negative part of this game. The singleplayer is chalked full of dry slapstick sarcasm thanks to the wonderful characters Wheatley, and Glados. Valve has once again shattered my expectations on the floor and poured hot delicious chocolate sauce all over it. I was suprised to see so many negative reviews on Metacrtic, It would be best not even to read them
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    It is truly shocking that so many people hate this game. It may be shorter than the average game, but for a product of this quality and level of polish it is well worth the money. I thoroughly enjoyed myself from beginning to end. A superb game.
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    Better than Half-Life 2 (my opinion)! i haven't laughed so hard in any video game before. I loved the humor and the characters. The voice acting is amazing! Took me 15 hours to beat the game. I haven't tried the online co-op yet! I can't wait for Portal 3! loved it loved it loved it! Incredible game. 10/10 =)
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent game, blew my expectations away. A far better game than Portal 1, with excellent humour, darkness and exceptional soundtrack all besting Portal 1.

On top of that Valve gave us all 37 customization items in the store straight away, as well as providing ways for us to get them for free, in game, by playing the co-operative multiplayer. Oh and they also included a store for those who are too impatient to play the game and get the items that way.
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore all the reviews with a score of less than 9, for those who wrote them have obviously can't see a good game when it's staring them in the face. These kinds of people would much rather enjoy the 'sitting in a corner with an RPG' types of games like COD.
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    The game so far has been great, I'm almost done with single player and it's met my expectations. People complaining about day 1 DLC, it's hats and skins for co-op and has no effect on game-play. If you don't like it don't buy it, it's not there for everyone. I'm looking forward to getting started on co-op.
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    Another great game by valve, highly polished and the graphics are good. Singleplayer is around 6 hours long if you get the hang of it, co-op is around 3-4 hours. What I find dissapointing is the lack of a deeper concept behind portal 2; Nnither the co-op nor sngleplayer offer much replay value. As the old formula in portal 1 of solving tests and "escaping" etc. was established i expectedAnother great game by valve, highly polished and the graphics are good. Singleplayer is around 6 hours long if you get the hang of it, co-op is around 3-4 hours. What I find dissapointing is the lack of a deeper concept behind portal 2; Nnither the co-op nor sngleplayer offer much replay value. As the old formula in portal 1 of solving tests and "escaping" etc. was established i expected some development into making portal into more than a puzzle game with a story like its predecessor. Sadly this was not so, though a brilliant concept and game its structure is such that once you have played through it there is not much to bring you back to play it more than a few times. Lastly portal 2 weighs in at a hefty £30 ($45) on PC more than the cost of the orange box which included 5 amazingly developed games. Portal 2 plays though like a well developed game and you'd be hard pressed to not have fun. But AAA titles at this price have an expectation to deliver a long well developed game thats fun to play. Portal 2 is fun and well developed but its a bit much to ask for £30 for a game with such little replay value. The original portal came with 4 other games and many titles such as Mass effect, Crysis 2, Fallout 3 at this price range have Mutliplayer or multiple ways of playing through the game to greatly boost their playtime beyond the 20 hour mark.

I enjoyed portal 2, but i completed the singleplayer and the co-op in a day, (10 hours). Today i just went through the game again and did all but one of the SP achievements, but i feel a bit let down as i'm already getting bored as I've run out of interest having cleared all the content before. IMO portal 2 feels like it was rushed out of development to meet the console demand for it. Closing comments: A good game with fun gameplay, not a lot of content and no replay value, for its price tag i expected more but it's still a great game.
  13. Apr 23, 2011
    It's sickening there are so many failed trolls and /v/tards that are rating this game lower than it's actual given content. Portal 2 took a great leap forward from most games, including it's predecessor, and gave me a product that I will never forget. For one, it has an amazing and beautiful story, but I will not go into too many details due to spoilers. VALVe also managed to integrateIt's sickening there are so many failed trolls and /v/tards that are rating this game lower than it's actual given content. Portal 2 took a great leap forward from most games, including it's predecessor, and gave me a product that I will never forget. For one, it has an amazing and beautiful story, but I will not go into too many details due to spoilers. VALVe also managed to integrate amazing and hilarious jokes in, which have already began spawning new memes, as all VALVe games do. Now, gameplay-wise, Portal 2 is also gives us a great amount of relief. There is now multiple new items and science to use to solve the puzzles, such as the gels and aerial faith plates. It's a great break from the casual arcade shooters that are being released by Activision, which have plagued the gaming industry, but VALVe has still managed to stay gold-- Portal 2 is brilliant and pure. I find it difficult to believe anyone would give this game lower than a 9, I guess an 8 would be good too if you have a rotten taste in games, but this game is surely the best release of the year so far. If I could, I would definitely award it with higher than a 10, say a 15/10, but I cannot, sadly. If you enjoy good humor, good puzzles, an amazing story, good visuals, and a great game overall, I suggest purchasing yourself a copy of Portal 2. Expand
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    My 5 year old has been begging me for this game since Valve released all of the trailers. I honestly wasn't interested with this game and I haven't even played Portal 1. After purchasing the game and watching my son, I was instantly hooked with the graphics, humor, and easy controls. Suffice it to say, Portal 2 is mine--not my son's;)
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the equal of Portal 1, and a fantastic followup that adds much to the already established perfection. Not only is the humor easily as good as last time, the puzzle solving goes from okay, to Portal 1's equal, to amazing and beyond anything Portal ever did over the course of the 7 to 10 hour campaign. Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen toPortal 2 is easily the equal of Portal 1, and a fantastic followup that adds much to the already established perfection. Not only is the humor easily as good as last time, the puzzle solving goes from okay, to Portal 1's equal, to amazing and beyond anything Portal ever did over the course of the 7 to 10 hour campaign. Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen to them, they are mad about an ARG and DLC that have nothing to do with the actual game), no, the game is not 3 hours long. No, there is no game-enhancing DLC to get upset about, the DLC, which is PC only in the first place, is purely aesthetic and no one who isn't interested has any reason to buy it. Finally, the ARG that took place before this game was release not only resulted in a midnight release on Steam (as opposed to the planned 7am release), it also got everyone who got all of the "potatoes" in the ARG Valve's *entire library of games for free*. There is no reason to dislike this game, and many of the reviews are simply venting frustrations not at all related to the game's quality. It's better in every way than one than the original Portal, save one, originality. And let's face it, that magic has passed, we can't get that moment in time back, so we should enjoy an amazing game for what it is, the best possible sequel to Portal, and the best game of the year so far. Expand
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    I had never played the first portal so I didn't quite know what to expect, but the game is a lot of fun and most of all a lot more inventive than the usual fare from the first person shooter genre. Highly recommended.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    Very fun, yet over-hyped. Co-op is a blast. The game met my expectations and was worth the dosh. I don't plan on buying any of the superfluous shop items. The single player mode was a great way to introduce the new features, but so far I've spent most of my time playing co-op with friends. The co-op really is where this game shines.

Haters gonna hate.
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    The best game ever (Valve and not). Gameplay, graphic, soundtrack, story every single thing of this game it's simply wonderful. If you liked Portal, buy this, immediately.
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    Great Story, Great Puzzle!
    The new gel and laser are really fun to play with. The co-op mode is super fun to play with a firend. Wow!
    Worth every penny!
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    Good game, but expected not to have the awesomeness that the first has, since its hard for sequels to do so. Really love it.

Also to those who think its bad because of day 1 dlc, they are retarded.
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    The game is great and fun. And unlike other games where solo and co-op are the same. They are completely different. the 1 reviews really failed this time around on meta critic, and I'm pretty disappointed in them. You can tell the game was made for the PC. It still uses the source engine. It has dlc that doesn't matter, character skins. People care about that enough to down vote it?The game is great and fun. And unlike other games where solo and co-op are the same. They are completely different. the 1 reviews really failed this time around on meta critic, and I'm pretty disappointed in them. You can tell the game was made for the PC. It still uses the source engine. It has dlc that doesn't matter, character skins. People care about that enough to down vote it? Nobody complained with Resistance 2, or Kill zone. Downvoting the game because when it came out? Since when do we do that? So does that mean Duke Nukem Forver is going to be an automatic 0? Sure the potato sack thing was neat the problem is a most of those games people already bought and were great games themselves. But that shouldn't be a part of the review of yours or mine. I have spent so far 6 hours playing it. I'm almost done with co-op. It was and is pretty fun. Solo isn't too bad. Some of the puzzles I don't always get right away, which gives me a sense of accomplishment when I do figure it out. Same thing happens in co-op, generally one of us can solve it right away, but there were a couple where we were stumped for a good 10-15 minutes. The communication controls are pretty good if you don't want to use voice. A ping communicates a lot of information that voice doesn't always do justice. Expand
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    Easily the best game I've played so far this year. This game exceeded my expectations in almost every way (which is saying a lot, my expectations were quite high). The characters are amazing, the story equally so, and all the dark humor that made the first one so enjoyable has been absolutely perfected in the sequel. Yes, the single-player story might be a tad on the short side (I believeEasily the best game I've played so far this year. This game exceeded my expectations in almost every way (which is saying a lot, my expectations were quite high). The characters are amazing, the story equally so, and all the dark humor that made the first one so enjoyable has been absolutely perfected in the sequel. Yes, the single-player story might be a tad on the short side (I believe I finished up in 6-7 hours without rushing), but I'm a firm believer in quality of quantity. To give some comparison, I clocked in 30 hours in Dragon Age 2, and even considering that I feel as though I completely wasted my money on that game. With Portal 2, I finished feeling as though I got my money's worth and so much more. Now on to the co-op story! Expand
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    Look at all the 0/1 scores. They all seem to say the exact same thing. The reason? These people have not played the game. If they did then they wouldn't be complaining. For my money, Portal 2 is the best game I've played in a long time. Not only is it fun to play and a challenge to complete, it actually makes you LAUGH. It will ENTERTAIN you. Plus, having to use your brain makes a greatLook at all the 0/1 scores. They all seem to say the exact same thing. The reason? These people have not played the game. If they did then they wouldn't be complaining. For my money, Portal 2 is the best game I've played in a long time. Not only is it fun to play and a challenge to complete, it actually makes you LAUGH. It will ENTERTAIN you. Plus, having to use your brain makes a great change to all this 'shoot anything that moves' games of recent times. Please do not pay attention to the copy+paste negative reviews, this game is incredible and worth every penny. Expand
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    This is my best game ever. I'm a fan of Portal and this new Opus is clearly extremly great.

Good job writing, excellent level design, clever gameplay, good narrative rhythm, and the new character Weatley is extremely well located and efficiently. Only downside : the splashscreen during loading times and loading times too often. But with the quality behind it, we can only forgive him. A

But with the quality behind it, we can only forgive him.

A fine lesson in video games, Makes 99% of production videogame bland in comparison.
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is simply awesome. the graphics are great, the voice-acting is good, the story is good although i saw the plot-twists coming from miles away. the length of the game was initially a tiny bit disappointing, but if i think about it: Portal 2 relies purely on the portal-gun and i suppose that after ~8 hours that can get repetitive for most average players. the only real weak spot inPortal 2 is simply awesome. the graphics are great, the voice-acting is good, the story is good although i saw the plot-twists coming from miles away. the length of the game was initially a tiny bit disappointing, but if i think about it: Portal 2 relies purely on the portal-gun and i suppose that after ~8 hours that can get repetitive for most average players. the only real weak spot in portal 2 is the Co-Op mode. apparently valve believes that everybody has a friend who has portal 2 as well which isn't the case for most players. this leads to an unequal gameplay for most when being partnered with random people (if one has done the test already and knows the solution then the other player can't discover the solution on his/her own and gets it explained to.which takes the fun out of it). i had the luck to be teamed up with one who has just started to play too, but there are other who won't be that lucky.
    that aside. Portal 2 is a great game and was definitely worth my time and money and i look forward to play trough it again in a month when i forgot most of the rooms. i don't understand why people are so furious at the game. its been quite a while since valve brought out any (large) single-player games and i do think they have done quite a good job. the only thing i do hate about portal 2 is the attempt to make money on in-game apparel for a Co-op mode that can be finished in a few hours during which only your partner sees you. i find that plain ridiculous
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    Brilliant characters that shine till the very end, a story that makes you change your perspective multiple times, and fun gameplay make Portal 2 a must buy for everyone. One of the few games that feel like a work of art and love.
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    A brilliant, mind-bending puzzler that improves upon the original in every way. Full of brilliant puzzles, lots of personality & hilarious writing. The co-op is also one of the best out there, and tests your ability to co-operate. Overall, the game is another Valve masterpiece.
  28. Apr 21, 2011
    On so many occasions a a sequel to a hugely popular game disappoints. Portal 2 does not disappoint. Throughout the game I was surprised by many new directions and story developments. Having read numerous negative reviews damning the 'same old levels' as the original game it becomes obvious that the reviewers have not played too far into the game before casting judgement. It should beOn so many occasions a a sequel to a hugely popular game disappoints. Portal 2 does not disappoint. Throughout the game I was surprised by many new directions and story developments. Having read numerous negative reviews damning the 'same old levels' as the original game it becomes obvious that the reviewers have not played too far into the game before casting judgement. It should be made clear that the first few levels of Portal 2 ARE intended to be very similar to the first. Bear in mind there will be a raft of new gamers, especially on console, who have never used the portal gun before and so need to become accustomed to it. The levels did start to become very slightly 'samey' but it was precisely when I started feeling that the story lurched into another direction.

Regarding the co-op mode, this is best played after single player It's not critical, but it doesn't give an extra dimension to the mode which works well.

Design - The level design in this game is astonishing. I'm not going to provide any information on why but there is HUGE variation, and detail in all areas of the game and some are absolutely breathtaking

Sound - there are thousands of lines of dialog within the game, meshed with environment effects which range from fantastic mechanical clanks and clunks to downright creepy ambiance. Graphics - It's the Source Engine. If you've played any recent Source games you'll know what it's capable of , it looks stunning and handles all the environments thrown at it with ease.

Gameplay - Do not listen to people who say this game takes 3-4 hours to complete. If you let yourself enjoy the dialog and play the game as an average gamer it'll last a good 6-7 at least., and that's without attempting to find the numerous secrets areas. For replay value there's always the challenge of achievements and even with the original Portal's short length I found myself replaying it again just because it's FUN! All in all, I was absolutely impressed with Portal 2. While playing online co-op last night until the early hours my playing partner indicated that they had not played a game where they had the 'just one more level' for a long time. That in itself is a worthy testimonial!
  29. Apr 21, 2011
    Okay... I've already given Portal 1 10, so I will just say my score out. Portal was worth about 96% to me, and Portal 2 was just 10 times better. If you thought Portal was awesome or even only good, then this will blow your mind! This game hits every beat correctly, the gameplay is so addictive that you'll want to play the whole singleplayer again, just for the dialouge. The wit and humorOkay... I've already given Portal 1 10, so I will just say my score out. Portal was worth about 96% to me, and Portal 2 was just 10 times better. If you thought Portal was awesome or even only good, then this will blow your mind! This game hits every beat correctly, the gameplay is so addictive that you'll want to play the whole singleplayer again, just for the dialouge. The wit and humor of all robots has shown us what Valve are capable of. For the amount of hype is delivers and it delivers very well. Totally worth the $50.00 price tag on Steam (That's nearly half as much as a typical AAA game such as Homefront or Call of Duty: Black Ops, and it's double as good.). So to me my final verdict is 98% (not as good as HL2 but very high up.). Great game Valve! Expand
  30. Jul 15, 2011
    This game definitely has a more "pixar" type feel to it than the first game. Still a great game, There are a lot of fun new elements. Co-op is very fun. I loved the storyline, but it is all based on personal preference. Do not listen to the people who say this game is only worth 4-6 hours of gameplay, Personally, i am right around 30 hours so far and i havn't even finished everything. IThis game definitely has a more "pixar" type feel to it than the first game. Still a great game, There are a lot of fun new elements. Co-op is very fun. I loved the storyline, but it is all based on personal preference. Do not listen to the people who say this game is only worth 4-6 hours of gameplay, Personally, i am right around 30 hours so far and i havn't even finished everything. I did dock the game 2 score points because i believe it is a little too easy, like other people have said, "find the white spots, shoot portals". Expand
  31. Apr 23, 2011
    Fantastic. what a great game and excellent addition to the first Portal game. Would liked to have seen some more content, a bit longer solo play, and maybe co-op with an AI bot as a partner.
  32. Apr 24, 2011
    Probably one of the most polished and well put together games I have ever played. It's hard to say anything about this game that hasn't been said by the critics, but the thing that struck me most about Portal 2 is how seamlessly the gameplay and story come together. In traditional Valve style, Portal 2 never interrupts the gameplay with cutscenes, instead a lot of the plot and history ofProbably one of the most polished and well put together games I have ever played. It's hard to say anything about this game that hasn't been said by the critics, but the thing that struck me most about Portal 2 is how seamlessly the gameplay and story come together. In traditional Valve style, Portal 2 never interrupts the gameplay with cutscenes, instead a lot of the plot and history of Aperture lie in the little details spread throughout the game. The game allows for an element of discovery practically unheard of in first person linear games, since most developers tend to think subtlety and something as simple as reading signs is beyond the capabilities of the player. Overall I think this game is a must have, the single player is great and the co-op works better than I thought. Expand
  33. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is amazing, a masterpiece if I ever played one. The music is superb, great story, and fun characters and classic lines. It's been a long time since I played a game as engaging as this. If i had a gripe, I can't say it lasted more then 20 hours so far doing multiplayer and singleplayer missions, I know the SDK is coming down the line soon, so we'll be seeing an influx of userThis game is amazing, a masterpiece if I ever played one. The music is superb, great story, and fun characters and classic lines. It's been a long time since I played a game as engaging as this. If i had a gripe, I can't say it lasted more then 20 hours so far doing multiplayer and singleplayer missions, I know the SDK is coming down the line soon, so we'll be seeing an influx of user generated maps soon. I still feel like I got my monies worth, Portal 2 was designed so well, I felt it was still a very satisfying experience. Expand
  34. Sep 17, 2011
    Valve crafted Portal 2 well enough. Single play has a chaotic funny accidental story line. Although the puzzle twists are less challenging than Portal 1, the play is well balanced. But I am afraid that the multi play is unbalanced if a teammate doesn
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a seminal piece of gaming. The most solid story-driven and all importantly fun gaming experience that you will have had in a while i'm willing to bet. The twists and turns in the single player mode's story coupled with the game's truly ingenious level design. It has an almost unbelievably well balanced difficulty which initially leaves you saying, "Well, i'm totally stumped" onlyThis is a seminal piece of gaming. The most solid story-driven and all importantly fun gaming experience that you will have had in a while i'm willing to bet. The twists and turns in the single player mode's story coupled with the game's truly ingenious level design. It has an almost unbelievably well balanced difficulty which initially leaves you saying, "Well, i'm totally stumped" only to be followed (after thinking things through in your head) by a sudden realisation, followed by a rewarding and triumphant execution. Also, the Co-op mode is an absolute joy! Played with a close friend, partner or relative, the game becomes so much more of an intimate experience, not to mention the absolute INSANITY of the puzzles that are born out of 4 portals being utilised. All this AND Valve are bringing out an end-user development kit shortly after release, so the fun is not likely to end any time soon! All in all, this is a game you *need* to play. It's an experience you won't soon forget. I can't recommend it enough!!! Expand
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is awesome. If you liked Portal, even a little, get this. Even if you didn't like Portal, it is worthwhile. It is hilarious, fun, tough but not too tough that you won't play. And multiplayer is a total blast. So much fun figuring out the puzzles while sabotaging your friend at the same time. Sure, the in game purchases are annoying, but that doesn't impact gameplay, and I justThis game is awesome. If you liked Portal, even a little, get this. Even if you didn't like Portal, it is worthwhile. It is hilarious, fun, tough but not too tough that you won't play. And multiplayer is a total blast. So much fun figuring out the puzzles while sabotaging your friend at the same time. Sure, the in game purchases are annoying, but that doesn't impact gameplay, and I just pretend it isn't there. Best game of the year so far. Expand
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    Brilliant game.
    Starts off brilliantly, continues on brilliantly, and ends brilliantly. Lots of thing you will laugh at and remember for ages.
    The Co-op is great too, especially when something goes wrong or you miss judge something and see your partner go splat into a wall you miss judged. Yes the game may not be the longest in history, but come on, if you ever played Portal1 (and you
    Brilliant game.
    Yes the game may not be the longest in history, but come on, if you ever played Portal1 (and you should) then you must be an idiot* for expected this to be a 20+ hour epic.

*Idiot is a very weak term, should be much stronger really.
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is an awesome game. Everything it did good in the first one it does even better here.
    some people complain that its short ( 5 hrs ), and rate it down for that. But a game that is so fking good that you wish it was longer. thats something good?;) And after that 5 hrs you even have another 5 hrs of co-op ! A Perfect Game. 10/10
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    This game was nothing short of amazing. Worth every penny and every hour of waiting. Not only has Valve outdone themselves with amazingly smooth animation and amazing map design, they have also put in both challenging and simple maps to appeal to both types of players. After completion of the amazingly written single player campaign, I was nothing short of stunned. Luckily I wasn't stunnedThis game was nothing short of amazing. Worth every penny and every hour of waiting. Not only has Valve outdone themselves with amazingly smooth animation and amazing map design, they have also put in both challenging and simple maps to appeal to both types of players. After completion of the amazingly written single player campaign, I was nothing short of stunned. Luckily I wasn't stunned enough to miss the request from a good buddy to play some of the Co-op levels! The Co-op is also amazing, Valve really did an excellent job of breathing life into the two slabs of metal (Atlas and P-body) and helping them portray proper emotions. All in all I give this game a 10/10, though if possible I would give it a 100/10. (P.S: to xbox players crying about how PS3 users got a free PC copy and you didn't, that's because Microsoft didn't want the steam platform on their device, while sony accepted it with open arms.) (P.P.S: Seriously? You guys are letting an in game store and item system affect your rating? You'll only be playing with your friends. No "Trading servers" or anything. You also are not forced to buy ANYTHING at all.) Expand
  40. Apr 20, 2011
    Anyone giving this game anything less than an 8 is a troll, or was extremely confused about the early release project. The mentioning of minigames have nothing to do with the actual game play of Portal 2. I have had nothing but extreme satisfaction with my play through so far, and look forward to moving on to co-op.
  41. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great sequel for Portal. Nice graphics, good story, and awesome gameplay. The new test chambers are challenging and fun at the same time. Its definitely worth it's price.
  42. Apr 20, 2011
    The singleplayer in Portal 2 was like its predecessor, a very well written story, hilarious moments, and tricky test chambers. The environment has changed a bit, and new features has been added to the chambers, for example lasers. If you're decent at solving the puzzles, you'll complete the game in a matter of hours. What I personally have not tried is the co-op mode, but from what I takeThe singleplayer in Portal 2 was like its predecessor, a very well written story, hilarious moments, and tricky test chambers. The environment has changed a bit, and new features has been added to the chambers, for example lasers. If you're decent at solving the puzzles, you'll complete the game in a matter of hours. What I personally have not tried is the co-op mode, but from what I take it enriches the game even more. I only detected a few minor glitches, mostly graphical, but that was a rarity. I believe Portal 2 is one of the most polished games I've tried this year. I recommend buying it, especially if you have played Portal 1. I'm giving it a 10 out of 10 for the story, gameplay, graphics, music and sound. Expand
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    I havn't completed the game yet as i only had chance to have a quick play last night (about 2 hours worth) and i have to say it's already brilliant. Stephen Merchant and GlaDos make amazing comedy and obviously the portal gameplay is as good and better than the first. Am still yet to try multiplayer but from what I've played so far it's definitly a 10/10 game.
  44. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm one of those people that absolutely zombie out in front of the television and computer, almost emotionless despite what I'm watching or playing. The funniest sitcoms and stand up shows, the most intense sequences and I may have changed my expression once. I jumped into Portal two and I was laughing out loud in the first 5 minutes. I have never had a better time playing a game, II'm one of those people that absolutely zombie out in front of the television and computer, almost emotionless despite what I'm watching or playing. The funniest sitcoms and stand up shows, the most intense sequences and I may have changed my expression once. I jumped into Portal two and I was laughing out loud in the first 5 minutes. I have never had a better time playing a game, I laughed, was (legitimately) afraid, and cried on the elevator ride to the surface. (absolutely the most intense thing Valve has ever done)

Those who want to argue that it was too short, or the DLC is a scam: What ever happened to quality of entertainment? I was more entertained in the first hour of this game than the many hours I put into playing Mass Effect (2) (even though thats comparing potatos to lemons.) No replay value? There's plenty of hidden content throughout the game that will most likely have gone undiscovered during the first playthrough, achievements and developer commentary had me scrambling back into it only an hour after I beat it the first time. Unless you're a hardcore puzzle-solver genius the game will take you at least 6 hours the first time, with developer commentary and hidden areas it will probably take a bit longer than that your second time. (even if you already know how to solve the puzzles) THEN there's the co-op mode which I have yet to play but people claim its at least another 5 hours. As for the DLC, its completely cosmetic. If you don't want to pay for silly hats or gestures then don't. If you disagree with this then hold it against VALVE not the game itself.
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    This has been the most enjoyable game I think I have ever played. The comedy throughout is perfect and had me laughing from the first moment ("when you hear the buzzer, please stare at the painting.") to literally the last second of the single player game. The voice acting was masterfully done, and ever witty comment made by Wheatley, GLaDOS, and Cave Johnson was perfectly timed. TheThis has been the most enjoyable game I think I have ever played. The comedy throughout is perfect and had me laughing from the first moment ("when you hear the buzzer, please stare at the painting.") to literally the last second of the single player game. The voice acting was masterfully done, and ever witty comment made by Wheatley, GLaDOS, and Cave Johnson was perfectly timed. The puzzles started out similar to the ones in the first Portal, but gradually grew more unique and larger in size. They included a zoom feature which is very helpful because sometimes you end up placing a portal so far away that you can barely see it otherwise. The learning curve is gradual. The new mechanics added to the game were genius; they brought so much to the puzzles, and they had to be used multiple ways as well, making you have to think outside the box. This game does a good job of pulling you into the world of Aperture Science is all its grandeur.

I have very few qualms with the game, but they are apparent. there are points in the game which seem to drag on. most of the time the pace is good, where new mechanics are added in each puzzle, but there are a few places where there's really no story happening and there's nothing new, just frustrating moments sitting in an enormous room trying to figure out how in the world you are going to get to the next test. There was one area where I literally looked around for about 30 minutes trying different things, and it was all because I could not find the one tiny area the game wanted me to put a portal. While most of the time you feel like you are trying to solve a puzzle, there are a few times where it feels like you are trying to figure out what the level designer was trying to get you to do. A few of the test chambers (and areas in between) have such an odd solution, and you've tried something very similar, just to fall a few steps short. Then you reload, thinking you didn't jump right, so you try again and fail. Unless you put the portals in exactly the right place and do exactly what the level designers wanted you to do, you can't pass.

With all that being said, I still think it is one of the best games I have ever played.

As far as the co-op goes, I was only able to experience a few of the final tests, and I joined up with someone who only had about 5 tests to go. I'm sure the beginning of the co-op test are easier and there's a decent learning curve, but where I started was fairly difficult. That being said, I felt it was more fun than the single player game. The puzzles forced you to work together, use each other's portals, and make sure each other gets to the end of the test. It doesn't count if you get there and leave your buddy behind. With all the frustration it brought, it definitely makes you think even more outside the box. The only qualm I had about the co-op was the ending. It seemed very simple and non-climactic. Other than that, I think that the co-op is going to be very fun to play through over and over. I also really like how the robots' creation and existence is given in the single-player game.

Many people are upset about what they call a DLC. I wouldn't call it that. You can pay for cosmetic appearance for your bots when playing co-op, but that's it. You actually even earn the costume parts as you play the co-op as well, so you don't even need to spend money to look different, you just have to play through the co-op.

I would normally rate this a 9, but there are so many trolls reviewing this game that I feel like I need to give it a 10 to balance them out. So, my real score: 9/10.
  46. Apr 20, 2011
    All this hate over the ARG, DLC, it being a supposed "console port", and other non-issues is ridiculous. I'm not sure where all this vitriol comes from and to merely blame "trolls" seems to simple an out (and the default counter argument on the internet).

Portal 2 does surpass the original in terms of gameplay, story, and future expandable potential. Is the price of $50 ($45 for the pre-order) justified by the content? Compared to other forms of media (and even other video games) I think it does. Consider: you spend $15 to see a 2 hour movie, which, arguably, probably doesn't tell a story nearly as well as Portal 2 does; the math works out in the favor of Portal 2. Or lets say that you could beat Portal 2 in 4 hours (NOTE: If you beat this in 4 hours, you probably weren't playing for the experience anyway), I think "4 hours" of an amazing game is better than 8 - 12 hours of a mediocre bore.

When it comes to Portal 2, the professional critics have it exactly right and the "fans" have it wrong. To not play this game based upon some vague anger is myopic at best because that means you'll miss out on arguably the greatest gaming experience of this year (if not ever).
  47. Apr 20, 2011
    A great game, definitely one of Valve's best yet. It takes a perfect, short experimental game and makes it into a full game, which may not be as perfect but has much bigger scope. Also, this is NOT a console port. Console ports do not have quicksave, developer console and advanced graphics options (see Crysis 2).
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is pretty much a decent sequel.The length of the game is short but with the co-op mode i can enjoy for a few month.To be honest,i don't give a **** if you trolls like "ValveSucks" who dedicate his life to trolling valve.I can bet you trolls cant even make a game better then portal 2.
  49. Apr 20, 2011
    The first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowingThe first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowing me to play with some of my Playstation 3 buds. Brilliant from start to finish. Expand
  50. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply notAmazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply not anything negative I can find. It's extremely fun to play, and extremely fun to replay. Expand
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    Thought it was fun. Co-Op was really fun too. Haven't beat the game yet but really enjoying the game so far. :D

Only problem really was the "robot enrichment"... hats ruined TF2, hope hats don't ruin portal 2 :)
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    The single player portion was fantastic. But to my surprise the co-op us where this game shines. I could have never imagined that playing portal with 2 people would be so fun.
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    This is everything I hoped it would be; the story pulls you along, the characters and dialogue shine, and the puzzles are tremendous fun to work out. Some of them are easy, others challenging.

I haven't finished the game, so I can't speak to its length, but I've put in a solid 4 or 5 hours and I'd guess I'm at the 1/2 point or so. I haven't played the coop yet, but I'm excited to check it out. As a disclaimer, I should point out that I didn't not participate in the controversial ARG, and I doubt I will even look at any skin-related DLC. I imagine much of the controversy on the quality of this game has to do with expectations about early release through buying the bundle. As to the perception that it is a console port, let me make it clear that I have little stomach for console first-person games (I don't own a console, though I do have a 360 controller for my pc for platformers and a few good 3rd person games). I have suffered at the hands of more than a few half-assed console ports (GTA 3 and Deux Ex 2, to name a few) and this has none of that. I would argue that some of the console-induced features, like careful labelling of control instructions, is a good thing and makes the game more fun to play. If you're reading reviews to decide whether to get the game, maybe you should play a friends' copy first. I think that anyone who really enjoyed the first game will find this one satisfying.
  54. Apr 20, 2011
    The top selling point of Portal 2 is the atmosphere, which far surpasses that of the first game. Absolutely amazing. Very nice graphics, delightful tasks to solve, nice new game-play mechanics and an epic underground complex to explore. Nicely played, Valve.
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    Briliant game, perfect in almost every way. Great story, characters, design and visuals. I really don't get all the ranting. Let me address the issues:
    1. Game is 4 hours short - now how is that even possible? The game took me 7,5 hours to beat and I was not once stopped on a difficult puzzle...and that is only single-player.
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are just a set of optional hats and gestures. And honestly, if anyone is stupig enough to pay real money for a stupid hat in a game, then that's their problem. Also they are unlockable within the game. Valve never made a payed DLC that was an extension for a game. All updates for TF2 were free, all campaigns for L4D were free. So most likely any extensions for Portal 2 will also be free...
    3. No replay value - really? I assume they got all the achievements, found all the secrets, marvelled at every detail on their first game...good job. I played through Portal 1 at least 4 times and every time it was incredible fun. After beating Portal 2 I got an imidiate urge to play through it again.
    Great game, totally worth the 50$. Really, don't listen to the rants and low scores.
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some blingAwesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some bling for your robot. Over all, this game is funny, original, and the standard for this type of puzzle game. Sure some of the problems are easy to solve but they don't need to crush peoples spirits to keep the trolls happy with uber hard genius level puzzles do they? I'll likely play this game over and over with my friends and I'd love to play it at some LAN events! Keep it up Valve! :) Expand
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    It's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make youIt's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make you stop and think (while being mocked by the excellent AI's). The entire story, even if attempting to blaze through the game would take 4 hours AT BEST. I ran through it casually in a little over 6 and still feel like I might have missed out on some things. There's a load of new achievements as well that require a fair amount of skill to complete which adds another level of depth to the game, let alone the multiplayer.

If you liked Portal, this game is worth the 45$ on Steam. If you're paying more than that for the game, then it's your problem for not buying it cheaper. It improves and expands on every aspect of the original. People that are all ruffled over the ARG and Potato Sack need to move along, neither of those should affect the rating of the game itself. As an aside, the ARG was all about generating hype (which it did very well, imo) and the Potato Sack supported a load of indie games at a massive discount that I also felt was well worth it.
  58. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters andPortal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters and environment alive.

The gameplay and controls are very polished, as can be expected from a Valve game. Challenges are very close to being the perfect kind of challenging, I think the maximum amount of time I spent being stuck on any given test room was twenty minutes, and it wasn't often. The feeling of satisfaction from beating the puzzles is fantastic, and the pacing of the game is very fluid. The single player took me about eight hours, and while many people claim to have completed it in four I would like to point out that the timer for Steam for Portal 2 is a little off as after my initial three hours of play I decided to take a break and noticed that my Portal 2 timer only said I have been playing nineteen minutes.

I've only played a few chambers of coop, but I have to say that being able to play with a friend is amazing, and the unlockable emoticons, especially the ones that include both of the robots are satisfying to do. GlaDOS isn't lacking in coop either and she'll talk and give little quips about what you're doing and insult you as she normally does with Chell.

My last statement would be that I am a college student and don't have a huge budget for video games, normally I buy bargain bins and Steam sales, but I got sucked into the hype and bought it for PS3 for $60. Of course I'm not saying you should go out and buy it right now, but when you see a price you can afford for the game or have a friend you can borrow it from, then do it because you will not regret it.
  59. Apr 20, 2011
    I think this is the best game what I played! I can´t understand the negative user score. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing!!!!
    Thank you Valve!!!
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    The people here who are rating a this game a 0? Are they even playing the same game I am? Level design is perfect, the voice acting and script are just amazing. I'm 9 hours in and I'm almost done but this game is damn perfect in my book. The co-op is a blast...thank you so much Valve, thank you thank you thank you!
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    Just fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but sinceJust fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but since all its content is not essential to the gameplay or the levels themselves its just a little gimmick thing for those who want to wear cute little hats on cute little robots and I can't see anyone making a big deal about something as little as that Expand
  62. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game. I think most people are disappointed because Valve sets the bar so high that it is hard for it to reach expectations. If this were a game from another publisher, people might give higher reviews. It's similar in length to most games these days so I don't see any issue there. It also is much longer that the first game with much more effort put into it so I would say thatGreat game. I think most people are disappointed because Valve sets the bar so high that it is hard for it to reach expectations. If this were a game from another publisher, people might give higher reviews. It's similar in length to most games these days so I don't see any issue there. It also is much longer that the first game with much more effort put into it so I would say that justifies the price. I bought the PC version which is 10 bucks cheaper than the XBOX / PS3 versions so maybe this is why I don't mind as much. As a game, it is very entertaining, pulls you in and makes the user think out the puzzles. Now I am off to start co-op mode! Expand
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    As any game by Valve, I loved it. Great fun, great story, great voice acting, great graphics (Source Engine still rocks :D )... everything was great about it. It should be given the Game of the Year award.

I was really happy when I saw that glass (broken glass to be precise) finally looked realistic in a Source game, as well as the fact that subtitles/closed captions were finally looking smooth and had a nice font in a Source game. --> if Valve update other source games to also utulize this, I'd be very happy, but probably not... (especially not Source games not made by Valve)

Yeah, yeah there's this whole thing about the in-game Store in CO-OP Mode, the MP part of Portal 2. But that doesn't make me lower my score. It's something Valve decided, some like some don't, but you don't need to buy the extra content to play the game. The player models and maps are there by default. I doubt that skins or hats have much effect on gameplay. Gesture on the other hand MIGHT (--> see TF2 taunts), but all in all seem rather insignificant.

10/10 is my final answer :D
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    Love every minute! Multi-player is brilliant!

I have no idea why some people her give the game so much hate. Its a full price title and its worth it.
    For me, so far the game of the year.
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    The game is astoundingly well done and despite the fact that the Source engine is nearly a decade old, Portal 2 looks fantastic. Anyone who is reviewing negatively really just wants a soap box to rage on, despite the fact that everyone is going to play it.
  66. Apr 20, 2011
    Great stuff! The graphics are gorgeous, the audio evocative, the characterbots fun and yes its too short only
    because its so much fun you don't want it to end. It runs very well on my ageing machine: 2.8 gig 32 bit P4,
    4650 ATI (1 gig). With all settings put to max there's no problem. Worth the money!
  67. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority ofSimply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority of other games out there - this is a diamond in the rough, a shining beacon for our gaming medium. Expand
  68. May 28, 2011
    Absolutely Brilliant. I loved the first game, I love this one even more! It's a lot more complicated though! Highly recommened!!! I don't think I'll be able to return to portal 1 after this game. I also loved the music and half life feel to it. CO-op is also brilliant
  69. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic follow up to an already amazing game. Portal 2 ranks up there with Bioshock 1 and Deus Ex in terms of timelessness. Though the single player isn't the longest ever, the multilayer is an all new campaign that extends the story. Overall the game is just fine lengthwise, and every second is of amazing quality. No complaints at all.
  70. Apr 20, 2011
    An amazing game from start to finish. This game isn't for everyone but; those who enjoyed the first game will love this one. The comedy, gameplay, just everything. It's all here. It took me about 9 hours for the single-player portion alone; and theres still Co-Op to it. Totally worth it
  71. Apr 21, 2011
    It is finally the best game of the year - if we put all aspects of gameplay, etc. together. And maybe best game from Valve, my favourite developer. I give him 10 of 10. i am not interested in "Mann Co. store" in TF2, except community map creators stamp support - this is great way to say :"Hello, we are here and we very much appreciate your work". So if you dont want this, stuff dont buyIt is finally the best game of the year - if we put all aspects of gameplay, etc. together. And maybe best game from Valve, my favourite developer. I give him 10 of 10. i am not interested in "Mann Co. store" in TF2, except community map creators stamp support - this is great way to say :"Hello, we are here and we very much appreciate your work". So if you dont want this, stuff dont buy it. It is a great way to financing future free DLCs or maybe another map creators like in TF2. I hope we get SDK soon and some cosmetic tweaks in menu would be great. Hint disabling, portal ghosting etc. After few updates will be perfect in all ways. Expand
  72. Apr 21, 2011
    Loving every second. Aperture labs has been recreated wonderfully, the character and stories surrounding the place have been incredibly well fleshed out and I'm still finding myself wandering around feeling really clever when i complete challenges or tasks in a way that I think is novel or smart but actually turns out to be what I was meant to do all along.
  73. Apr 21, 2011
    This game had me laughing from start to finish. The puzzles were well conceived, the writing was brilliant, and the story kept me wanting more. It was reasonably priced, and the co-op adds a nice element to puzzle solving while trying to do it with a friend. There are some obvious trolls in the negative reviews complaining about the "cash shop". The fact of the matter is that it hasThis game had me laughing from start to finish. The puzzles were well conceived, the writing was brilliant, and the story kept me wanting more. It was reasonably priced, and the co-op adds a nice element to puzzle solving while trying to do it with a friend. There are some obvious trolls in the negative reviews complaining about the "cash shop". The fact of the matter is that it has absolutely no bearing on the game play whatsoever and is completely optional. I still cannot think of a good reason why allowing people to further add to a game that they purchased is a bad thing.... Expand
  74. Apr 21, 2011
    some people are complaining about Portal's transformation into half life episode 3. this game rocks. its a good portal game. it has superb mind blowing puzzles. narration is incredible. Glados' passive-aggressive dialogues are super funny! Go buy it, work on puzzles achievements when you are done with the game find a friend and play multi-player. and get over with it. ITS A VALVE GAME.some people are complaining about Portal's transformation into half life episode 3. this game rocks. its a good portal game. it has superb mind blowing puzzles. narration is incredible. Glados' passive-aggressive dialogues are super funny! Go buy it, work on puzzles achievements when you are done with the game find a friend and play multi-player. and get over with it. ITS A VALVE GAME. VALVE ROCKS! Expand
  75. Apr 21, 2011
    This is a great game, and everything important has been said by the reviewers, this is more aimed at the people who complain about this games length or various other things that are completely un justified. For one, the game takes more than 5 hours if you completely immerse yourself in the game rather than charging levels and not caring about anything else, it took about 8-9 hours for me.This is a great game, and everything important has been said by the reviewers, this is more aimed at the people who complain about this games length or various other things that are completely un justified. For one, the game takes more than 5 hours if you completely immerse yourself in the game rather than charging levels and not caring about anything else, it took about 8-9 hours for me. Secondly why does anyone have a problem playing a 9 hour game which is all 100% quality, than a 40 hour game with 4 hours of quality because its so padded, or has you doing unnecessary things to make the game longer. People should seriously stfu about this. Co op has even more hours built in to it, and Valve is going to release more levels and content as well over time. Consider it an investment if you can't find it in yourself to pay for one of the most brilliant games of 2011. Comedy, game play, innovation and more. What else would you spend $50 on game wise? You can spend $100 on a "quality" re-skin of the CoD franchise I guess. Portal 2 is brilliant and well worth the money. Expand
  76. Apr 21, 2011
    Loved the single player. Great dialogue and witty humor is a huge plus. The game kept up a great pace because of it's great story and interesting mechanics. The co-op is also great. It gives the opportunity to keep playing amazing portal based puzzles that made you fall in love with the first Portal. That and GladOS's superb dialogue.
  77. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the best game out there. So far the story is amazing and I don't want to spoil you with anything. Just enjoy your ride through the Aperture facilities and try to find your way out of this mess. Only 3 games could be better in the future: Episode Three, Mass Effect 3 and Half-Life 3 :D
  78. Apr 21, 2011
    Visually stunning game. Challenging puzzles for previous players as well as new players. Humorous and fun. I enjoyed every level of this game (and the satisfying conclusion). I can't think of a way that Valve could have made it better.
  79. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic game, The level structure is great, the writing is masterful, voice acting incredible and the art design amazing. This takes everything that Portal did right and added onto it.
  80. Vix
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have rarely enjoyed in a game this much. Game is not short at all, played a fair couple of hours and I never used more than 10 minutes at a chamber, but simply enjoying the environment game offers and looking for secrets has extended my experience to a fair amount. Even first few chapters when I was already sure that game will end after 4th or 5th chapter, I got simply blown off by theI have rarely enjoyed in a game this much. Game is not short at all, played a fair couple of hours and I never used more than 10 minutes at a chamber, but simply enjoying the environment game offers and looking for secrets has extended my experience to a fair amount. Even first few chapters when I was already sure that game will end after 4th or 5th chapter, I got simply blown off by the awesomeness of story and when I thought game could not get any better, I got to the chambers with the gel. One of the best games ever. Expand
  81. Apr 22, 2011
    This game left me stunned. Its brilliant, in so many aspects, and the fact that i haven't even touched the co-op mode yet for sure makes this the so far best game of the year. Its rear with games that are so good that i give them a ten. Only one game last year, but what i know for sure is as soon as i finished a game its obvious if its a ten or not. This was no exception. Valve have doneThis game left me stunned. Its brilliant, in so many aspects, and the fact that i haven't even touched the co-op mode yet for sure makes this the so far best game of the year. Its rear with games that are so good that i give them a ten. Only one game last year, but what i know for sure is as soon as i finished a game its obvious if its a ten or not. This was no exception. Valve have done it again... Expand
  82. Apr 22, 2011
    A Valve masterpiece. Finished the Single Player Campaign and have not even touched the Co-op, but after seeing the awesome ending of this game I felt compelled to write a review about it. In this review I would like to set some things straight.

First of all, the game is not as short as some people are saying it is. People that are saying they beat the game in 2 - 4 hours are LYING. There is no way you can beat the game that fast. The single player took me 12 hours to beat. Now that's considering that I like to take my time and listen to all the FUNNY dialogue this game has. If I rushed it though I probably could have beaten it in about 7 - 9 hours.

Did I mention the game is FUNNY? This is probably the funniest game I have ever played in my life. I have never laughed out loud so many times in a game as I did in this one. J.K. Simmons and Stephen Merchant deserve metals.

I have seen some people say that the game was too easy, but for me the difficulty was perfect. (maybe they're geniuses with 150 IQs and I'm a dumbass) I honestly don't care I just had fun. In some of the harder chambers I would walk around and not know what to do. After messing around for some time the solution would suddenly hit me. And I would think "I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner". I would then solve the puzzle and feel a little sense of accomplishment. The game has an excellent learning curve, and if you can visualize yourself solving the puzzle you can execute it. The puzzles are not as dexterity based as some of the ones in portal.

I've heard people say the game has dated graphics which is odd because to me the game had excellent graphics. The source engine still looks great and runs so smooth. 60 fps on the highest settings (no crashes) and I just have a medium powered graphics card (GTS 250). One thing I appreciate about valve games is that the games run so smooth and look so great on less powerful machines.

And about the DLC robot Store. No one is forcing you to buy anything. End of story. Get over it. I can't believe there are people giving the game a 0 solely for that. To conclude. Thank you GABEN and Valve for making yet another awesome game! This game easily deserves Game of the Year for 2011.
  83. Zri
    Apr 23, 2011
    Not perfect, but pretty damned good. With sequels popping up left and right and usually missing the mark by a fair way, Portal 2 takes what was good in Portal and, well, keeps it good. The writing for the dialogue is spot on, the co-op is just fantastic, down to a snarky GladOS making comments at you waving at her cameras, and the portals are as good as ever.

But. In some cases the

But. In some cases the puzzles feel a bit too easy. In many cases it's too obvious where you should be placing portals, and one feeling that I consistently had while going through the single player game is that there was far too many surfaces that you couldn't attach a portal to, meaning that when you found one, you knew it was important. I felt that took a little away from the game.

That somewhat minor quibble aside, the game is just great.

I hope there will be more available for the co-op aspect of the game, as I think this is where the game really shines (user-generated or commercial, both would be good), and if they expect people to spend any money in their co-op bot decoration store, there better be a good reason to do it.
  84. Apr 23, 2011
    This is a wonderful title - cleverly written with great humor, solid mechanics that expand and evolve slowly, and a great length that provides satisfaction without overstaying its welcome. And some wonderful co-op gameplay that's been some of my most enjoyable in recent memory.

The negative reviews are all due to people being unnecessarily upset about the DLC, which a) can be obtained by completing in-game achievements, and b) is all cosmetic. You DO get ALL of the content that's important with the purchase price of the game. If you want your little robot to look different in a co-op campaign then by all means purchase a different paint scheme or top hat, or just unlock the achievements for it. But there's no need to bash this title for doing something as innocuous as adding unimportant and non-functional DLC.

Portal 2 is a great title, and one of the best games of this current generation. And the ending is completely brilliant - well done to everyone at Valve for providing such a satisfying conclusion and toying with the mood so perfectly. Don't miss out on enjoying this gem!
  85. Apr 23, 2011
    This game is incredibly well written and funny. Valve managed to actually make a successor to Portal that is worth the name.

I had a great time finishing the single player and playing coop with a friend. I do wish the puzzles were a little more challenging but the story makes more than up for that. When it comes to the item store I: A: don't mind it since there is no "vital" content in

When it comes to the item store I:

A: don't mind it since there is no "vital" content in there and

B: don't think that people understand what the item store means. Valve very well knows that people wont buy stuff for a coop mode that has almost no replay value. And there is a hub world in coop with a LOT of space that is not used. Taking valves track record of supporting their own products the only logical conclusion is: There will be new test tracks as DLC ... and those will most likely be free. That will add replay value to the game and probably make people think about buying some extra stuff in the store.

So ... before you actually criticize something like an item shop, at least take 5 minutes to think.

And to those saying this is a "lazy console port" because some guy somewhere got a "don't turn off your console" message on the PC version: grow the f* up.

This game is awesome and its very very well worth the full price.

PS: I would probably have given this game a 8 or 9 since there is always room to improve, but someone has to counter all those stupid 0/1 reviews.
  86. Apr 23, 2011
    A great follow-up to the original Portal, Portal 2 takes things a step further with a longer, more detailed single player campaign (with an intriguing expansion to the original story), more fantastic voice work, and once again the laugh out loud dark humor that made the first so great. My only complaint was that the single player could have been just a bit longer.

Go check it out!
  87. Apr 23, 2011
    An excellent game in all areas - especially sound design and voice acting. Level design is perhaps too perfect and lean, but Portal 2 in its design and theme serves as a neat deconstruction of Valve's approach to making games. All in all, it's creative, funny and extremely enjoyable.
  88. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back toPortal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back to the testing days of yore with many fun twists, and the characters are just as easy to fall in love with as before.

GAMEPLAY:
    Portal 2, like Portal 1, features impeccable gameplay. You will find nary a glitch or bug to hinder your experience. In single player, we are all familiar with the way we use the portal gun, and that hasn't changed. After a new character, a personality sphere named Wheatley wakes you from a sort of cryo sleep at the start of the game, and you find the portal gun by going through derelict versions of some of the first Portal 1 chambers. I found this nostalgically satisfying, but worrisome that Valve might just make a repeat game. However, you will see that this beginning is nothing to fret. It worked so well to introduce the mechanics in Portal 1, why not do it again, but with a twist? It effectively satisfies both old and new players alike.

Without revealing any spoilers, many new types of objects gan be used to solve some of these ingenious puzzles. Hard Light Bridges, Discouragement Beams (lasers), Excursion Funnels (energy tubes that carry objects and characters), and the Gels; Propulsion (an orange substance that makes you run fast) and Repulsion (blue substance that causes you to bounce high in the air) are all able to be manipulated by portals. Some of these tests can be as mind boggling as you might expect, and give the game a flavor all its own.

The Co-op story focuses more on the test chamber feel of Portal 1 than the single player story. The use of two sets of portals allows for wider range of possibilities in puzzle solving, and the brilliance of these tests impressed me with each progressive chamber. While not as story driven as Chell's encounters, gameplay truly dominates the Co-op as it did for much of the first title. And as a little bonus, you can interact with your Partner in Science by the way of hugs, high fives, dancing, or even a good old rock paper scissors match! It's easy to grow attatched to these characters, much easier than I had assumed.  Both modes are immensely fun to play through and don't disappoint those who love the good old Portal playstyle.

STORY:
    Without spoiling anything, I will simply say the the single player story is excellent. At times, the pace is slowed because of focus on the story, but by the end of the game you will be in awe. The characters are deep and multilayered, the story develops in ways the first game could not have, and our good enemy GLaDOS is back with a vengeance. Wth many more characters, a bittersweet, heartwarming and epic ending, and another addictingly catchy song during credits, this story meets the par set by its predecessor.

GRAPHICS:
    Portal 2, like most of Valve's titles for the last decade, runs off of the Source engine. With each game it releases Valve manages to up the engine capabilities. This game is no exception. While it doesn't have huge scenarios like L4D or HL2, it does have a level of polish no less than that of their last release, Left 4 Dead 2. The items and people are smooth and streamlined while the textures are rich, varied, and detailed. This game is easy on the eyes and sells its unique atmosphere..

SOUND:
    GLaDOS, the Portal Gun, the turrets, and any other returning objects sound about the same, if not better. The music is catchy and mood setting, but never dominates the game in an unnecessary way. Not a sound is out of place with his game, from the boxes bouncing, to the Excursion Funnel carrying, to a defective turret flying through the air. All the voices in the game are fitting, and extremely well performed. And if this isn't enough, Jonathan Coutlon has another GLaDOS voiced song to fill the credits.

DOWNSIDES:
    Portal 2 is brilliantly crafted, no doubt, but not perfect. For one, it lacks the "wow" factor of the first game. This is unavoidable. Portal 1 introduced a grand, groundbreaking concept to both the puzzle and shooter genres of gaming. This doesn't do that, but rather expands upon it. So don't expect the same awestruck feeling as when you popped in Still Alive. Also, the pacing sacrifice for the story can be annoying when you're just walking around random passageways for 20 minutes. Finally, seeing as the game is no more than 8 hours solid, the $60 price is a bit high.

All in all, Valve has crafted yet another great game, and any Portal lover should get their hands on this title ASAP. Start thinking with portals, again.
  89. Apr 23, 2011
    Full of witty and imaginative writing and dialogue. It's been a pleasure start to finish.

Stephen Merchant's lines as Wheatly, the droid you meet are quality, but Valve should have applied some effects to his voice. He sounds too human.
  90. Apr 23, 2011
    First Metacritic post here, even though I'm usually not a fan of Metacritic. On the contrary, I actually don't approve of the impact that numerous overly dramatic users can have on a game's success. But for Portal 2, I feel my voice must be heard to balance out the madness. This is an absolutely outstanding game. True, sensible, and non-dramatic fans of Portal will find much to enjoy here.First Metacritic post here, even though I'm usually not a fan of Metacritic. On the contrary, I actually don't approve of the impact that numerous overly dramatic users can have on a game's success. But for Portal 2, I feel my voice must be heard to balance out the madness. This is an absolutely outstanding game. True, sensible, and non-dramatic fans of Portal will find much to enjoy here. Valve has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. They introduced several new concepts to puzzle chamber solving. The inclusion of the three types of gels, laser beams, light bridges, catapults, tunnels contribute a kind of variety to what is at its core a very simple game. The story is terrific. There are a precious few games and game developers that can actually pull my heartstrings, and the Portal franchise and Valve fit the bill. If I could identify one fault with this game, it would be that there is a little too much tutorial. Portal PC players know that to pick up something or open a door, one must press E. I would have preferred that the developers included an option to turn off the tutorials. Perhaps there will be a patch. But it is such a small gripe. Small enough to make me wish that Metacritic allowed users to include decimal values in their ratings. If it did, I would rate this game a 9.7. Well done, Valve. I greatly appreciate your hard work on this remarkable achievement, and this probably goes without saying, but I hope you guys are ignoring all the drama queens on this website who are panning your game for no good reason at all. GREAT JOB. Expand
  91. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is an absolute masterpiece. The voice acting is some of the best that I've ever heard, the puzzles are just hard enough, the game runs beautifully on my 3 year old PC, and the added co-op is just as enjoyable as the single player. If you've considered buying this game and haven't yet, do it! The only bad part about this game is that, now that I'm finished with it, I can neverPortal 2 is an absolute masterpiece. The voice acting is some of the best that I've ever heard, the puzzles are just hard enough, the game runs beautifully on my 3 year old PC, and the added co-op is just as enjoyable as the single player. If you've considered buying this game and haven't yet, do it! The only bad part about this game is that, now that I'm finished with it, I can never experience it for the first time again. Expand
  92. Apr 23, 2011
    The game is nothing short of amazing, and all of the kvetching about DLC is completely misguided. People try and use the slippery slope fallacy to justify giving this masterpiece a terrible score, but what they don't grasp is that among game developers, Valve is one of the few big names that is actively attempting to scrabble back up the slope.
  93. Apr 23, 2011
    Its just one of the best games !
    i liked portal 1 and is just better.
    they did a great work with the new stuff. And the game was complete :) most of the games these times are Launched are not even finished. they did a great work with bringing a little portal 1 back :) The game also has a lot of humor :) And its just great ! 10/10 There will be a lets play soon on my channel
    Its just one of the best games !
    i liked portal 1 and is just better.
    they did a great work with the new stuff.
    they did a great work with bringing a little portal 1 back :)
    The game also has a lot of humor :)
    And its just great ! 10/10
    There will be a lets play soon on my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Itsgamingfriend
  94. Apr 23, 2011
    Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome humor, awesome characters, awesome voice over, awesome coop - awesome game. You want to do something good for yourself? Play Portal 2. It is one of the best games I´ve ever played and certainly the funniest one. Now, go and buy it. Otherwise, you´re a moron.
  95. Apr 23, 2011
    I had to laugh at the "0" score further down. That's a retarded score that just cant be taken seriously. Anyway, simply put Portal 2 was all in all 16.2 hours of gameplay for me. That includes co-op with a friend. But those 16 hours of gameplay are hands down the most entertaining hours Ive had in ANY game for quite a few years. Basically no replayability for my sake, but I went into theI had to laugh at the "0" score further down. That's a retarded score that just cant be taken seriously. Anyway, simply put Portal 2 was all in all 16.2 hours of gameplay for me. That includes co-op with a friend. But those 16 hours of gameplay are hands down the most entertaining hours Ive had in ANY game for quite a few years. Basically no replayability for my sake, but I went into the deal fully aware of this. A spectacular single-player campaign with so much humor and entertainment value. And the co-op was incredibly fun as a one-time playthrough. Good job Valve. I really enjoyed this one. Expand
  96. Nex
    Apr 23, 2011
    After finishing Portal 2 i felt into this sad-like mood....and believe me, that only happens when i finish something awesome, something over the top....Same thing happened before when i watched last episode of LOST and now with Portal 2...simply amazing game, marvel in todays sea of bad consolitis games...That is all!
  97. Apr 23, 2011
    This game had a great story I just don't like some of the mechanic changes such as,
    -No more crouch jumping.
    -No more portal tunneling.
    -The portal gun cursor no longer shows you what places or portable or not.
  98. Apr 23, 2011
    Pay no attention to anyone giving this game a bad score, they are the people who want to nit pick the small details. I enjoyed this game immensely. The dark humor, the underlying story that you had to piece together, the puzzles. I can't name a single thing i didn't like about portal 2.
  99. Apr 24, 2011
    A beautifully constructed SinglePlayer experience, with awesome puzzles, story and visuals even though the source engine is quite old. The SP mode surpasses the amazing HL2 and it's episodes and is a huge upgrade from Portal 1. The co-op is just as good and at times better with a lot of opportunities for co-op bonding, highly recommended for everyone. An exceptional game and one of theA beautifully constructed SinglePlayer experience, with awesome puzzles, story and visuals even though the source engine is quite old. The SP mode surpasses the amazing HL2 and it's episodes and is a huge upgrade from Portal 1. The co-op is just as good and at times better with a lot of opportunities for co-op bonding, highly recommended for everyone. An exceptional game and one of the best video gaming experiences I've had in years. Stay tuned for later updates and community made levels and mods! Expand
  100. Apr 24, 2011
    Game of the year. Game of the decade. Game of the century. Game of the everything. Portal is the new Half-Life, you have to play it at some point in your gaming life. THAT TIME IS NOW.
  101. Apr 21, 2011
    In short; Portal 2 is a funny, entertaining, and delightfully challenging game well worth anyone's time.

The Game has a great sense of humor and undeniable charm to it. It balances great atmosphere, memorable characters, witty writing, and always changing but never dull gameplay. It's truly a work of art how well everything is weaved and balanced together, and is easily the best game of the year so far.

The one downside I can think about it is that it has very little replay value. While other full priced games such as Gears of War might have a single player campaign as long as if not shorter than Portal 2's, at least it offers a variety of difficulty levels and a competitive multi-player. While Portal 2 does offer co-op, there is very little incentive to replay it after beating it once.

If you played and loved Portal 1, I don't think you would regret paying full price for this. If you're interested but not sure if you will like the game, I would say wait for a few price drops. Regardless of the price though, it is a great game to experience.

1. Oct 20, 2011