8.8

1. Nex
    Apr 23, 2011
    After finishing Portal 2 i felt into this sad-like mood....and believe me, that only happens when i finish something awesome, something over the top....Same thing happened before when i watched last episode of LOST and now with Portal 2...simply amazing game, marvel in todays sea of bad consolitis games...That is all!
  2. Apr 23, 2011
    I had to laugh at the "0" score further down. That's a retarded score that just cant be taken seriously. Anyway, simply put Portal 2 was all in all 16.2 hours of gameplay for me. That includes co-op with a friend. But those 16 hours of gameplay are hands down the most entertaining hours Ive had in ANY game for quite a few years. Basically no replayability for my sake, but I went into theI had to laugh at the "0" score further down. That's a retarded score that just cant be taken seriously. Anyway, simply put Portal 2 was all in all 16.2 hours of gameplay for me. That includes co-op with a friend. But those 16 hours of gameplay are hands down the most entertaining hours Ive had in ANY game for quite a few years. Basically no replayability for my sake, but I went into the deal fully aware of this. A spectacular single-player campaign with so much humor and entertainment value. And the co-op was incredibly fun as a one-time playthrough. Good job Valve. I really enjoyed this one. Expand
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    This game had a great story I just don't like some of the mechanic changes such as,
    -No more crouch jumping.
    -No more portal tunneling.
    -The portal gun cursor no longer shows you what places or portable or not.
  4. Apr 24, 2011
    A beautifully constructed SinglePlayer experience, with awesome puzzles, story and visuals even though the source engine is quite old. The SP mode surpasses the amazing HL2 and it's episodes and is a huge upgrade from Portal 1. The co-op is just as good and at times better with a lot of opportunities for co-op bonding, highly recommended for everyone. An exceptional game and one of theA beautifully constructed SinglePlayer experience, with awesome puzzles, story and visuals even though the source engine is quite old. The SP mode surpasses the amazing HL2 and it's episodes and is a huge upgrade from Portal 1. The co-op is just as good and at times better with a lot of opportunities for co-op bonding, highly recommended for everyone. An exceptional game and one of the best video gaming experiences I've had in years. Stay tuned for later updates and community made levels and mods! Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2011
    Game of the year. Game of the decade. Game of the century. Game of the everything. Portal is the new Half-Life, you have to play it at some point in your gaming life. THAT TIME IS NOW.
  6. Apr 24, 2011
    Simply one of the best games I have played in years. Excellent story-telling, fantastic voice acting, and incredibly high production values support a puzzle game of exquisite brain-teasers. Pure class.

The single player game takes approximately 8 hours to play though; the genius co-op game takes a similar amount of time. I simply did not want it to end, enjoyed every single second of it. Started to play through it again immediately after finishing, to go find all the hidden Easter eggs. A gem.

Similar to other Valve games thereâ
  7. Apr 24, 2011
    Ok it may be shorter than other titles you can pick up for the price, but what Valve have succeeded in doing time and time again is to create a perfectly packaged experience. They have prioritized Quality over quantity, and although i may not want to play through it again, i feel completely fulfilled with just one play through. I also agree that it isn't particularly hard, but that's aOk it may be shorter than other titles you can pick up for the price, but what Valve have succeeded in doing time and time again is to create a perfectly packaged experience. They have prioritized Quality over quantity, and although i may not want to play through it again, i feel completely fulfilled with just one play through. I also agree that it isn't particularly hard, but that's a testament to the game design that they subtly each you how to complete the puzzles in advance so you never get stuck. But i hope that valve follows up with some free DLC with some more challenging levels or more Co-op missions (that coop hub was too big for just 5 chapters) which will make the price point worthwhile. Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2011
    This game was completely breathtaking.. utterly outstanding.. phenomenal.. I can't express how much I loved it.. the BEST game I have ever played, and I've played a hell of a lot. Yes, ok, it wasn't the longest game ever.. but if you think about all the extra little bits they've put into it and all the back-story, it is incredible.. I cannot wait for more portal.. whether that be portal 3This game was completely breathtaking.. utterly outstanding.. phenomenal.. I can't express how much I loved it.. the BEST game I have ever played, and I've played a hell of a lot. Yes, ok, it wasn't the longest game ever.. but if you think about all the extra little bits they've put into it and all the back-story, it is incredible.. I cannot wait for more portal.. whether that be portal 3 (hopefully asap) or DLC I will be buying it.. And I would definitely recommend it to anyone.. even people who don't normally play games, it has something extra, something special.. 10/10 Expand
  9. Apr 24, 2011
    I really enjoyed Portal 2, it was by far the most awesome game I played in a while now. The game has a good storyline, cool characters and really good jokes and puzzles. The coop has a separate story which is as good as the singleplayer one. The editor will be released later, and I think, with community-made maps, Portal 2 will be one of the best games this year.
  10. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best games out there. the game is a masterpiece the story keeps you interested the whole game and the game was about 8 hours long and after beating it i wanted to play right through it again.

The co-op shows every other game company how co-op should be done one of the most fun on line games i have ever played
  11. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best games ever. Amazing story, interesting puzzles, likeable characters, it's witty and funny withouth being retarded, psycological and original. It's just really fun! The first one was awesome, this one is epic. It explains what was missing in Portal one's plot withouth giving away everything. Even knowing the risks of being bad, I kinda want to see a third one.
  12. Apr 24, 2011
    An absolutely phenomenal gaming experience on so many levels. Valve just keep getting better and better... and even better. There is no end to their creative genius.
  13. Apr 24, 2011
    I've played this through. Indeed it was rather short though this is what one should expect from a game like portal. There could have been endless test chambers with puzzle after puzzle but unless the gameplay is completely changed, there is no way to really keep the game interesting that way. This game is driven by a story that makes the puzzling less monotonous. I couldn't see myselfI've played this through. Indeed it was rather short though this is what one should expect from a game like portal. There could have been endless test chambers with puzzle after puzzle but unless the gameplay is completely changed, there is no way to really keep the game interesting that way. This game is driven by a story that makes the puzzling less monotonous. I couldn't see myself playing a 20 hour long Portal campaign, there just simply isn't enough to the game. If you are looking for an extended challenge, they're called mods. Welcome to PC gaming.
    It also makes sense for the PC version to have the same loading levels as the console games. With the goals of cross platform compatibility, it would have taken Valve a long time to make two different versions that were compatible. The question of DLC. I didn't know there was any until I read reviews. Apparently it's enough to offend several users enough to rate this game 0/10. If I at any time felt like I was being sold to in game then maybe I'd support these reactions, but what I saw was a game that was on sale at pre-order that I had more fun with than any of the Gears of War games since the first, or any Call of Duty games for that matter.
    I loved this game. It was well worth the $35 I paid for it brand new and would have been worth $60 if I was dumb enough to not look for a deal.
  14. Apr 24, 2011
    An amazing game, It was fun and quirky and the puzzles where great. Some of the best voice acting and dialogue from a video game in a long time. The length is about 6-9 hours single player with a 6 hour or so co-op mode. The story will have you smiling the whole time.
  15. Apr 24, 2011
    An incredibly good game. I would be very surprised if I get to play something better this year. Fully recommended for everybody with a heart (at all) and a mind for videogames.

Whining about COMPLETELY OPTIONAL DLCs which have NO EFFECT on the game whatsoever is ridiculous, and giving the game bad reviews because of it is childish and plain malicious.
  16. Apr 25, 2011
    This game was great. Some could argue that the 10-12 hours of game-play was insufficient, but the game made up for the short length with pure awesome. There's no hair-pulling difficulty, but neither is it too easy. Altogether a superbly balanced game that fulfilled my extremely high expectations. I look forward to the user maps to come.
  17. DSI
    Apr 25, 2011
    This is the best puzzle game I have ever played hands down. The co-op takes things to a whole new level. The humor is dead on, once again. Fantastic.
  18. Apr 25, 2011
    Brazilian Portuguese / Português Brasileiro: No inicio, o jogo é bastante apresentado, gráficos bons , trilha sonora ótima e gameplay consideravelmente bom. O grande problema desse titulo é a história que além de confusa tem uma pessima ligação com a históriaBrazilian Portuguese / Português Brasileiro: No inicio, o jogo é bastante apresentado, gráficos bons , trilha sonora ótima e gameplay consideravelmente bom. O grande problema desse titulo é a história que além de confusa tem uma pessima ligação com a história do portal 1. Além da grande espectativa criada pela valve com diversos videos altamente ufanicos. Outro problema encontrado é a falta dos "Pneumatic Diversity Ven" e que durante o jogo, gasta-se bastante tempo ensinando a usar os recursos e praticamente nada em realmente coloca-los em pratica em testes bem elaborados. Expand
  19. May 2, 2011
    Very fun, very funny, very short. Not worth the price of admission. Portal 2 should be priced at $30-$35, tops. It's a terrible value in gaming with very little replayability. And waiting for DLC to trickle in isn't worth paying $50-$60. If you don't mind the price, go for it. But don't complain if you feel ripped off despite the fun experience.
  20. May 22, 2011
    Valve delivers again with a game that is both witty in its mechanics as it is in its story and dialogue. Portal 1 was a flawless albeit short experience that shows that new ideas can be merged with old preconceptions. Always innovating, Portal 2 is an excellent puzzle challenge that will keep you amused for about 8 hours. It also has a nice co-op campaign that furthers the gameplay a lotValve delivers again with a game that is both witty in its mechanics as it is in its story and dialogue. Portal 1 was a flawless albeit short experience that shows that new ideas can be merged with old preconceptions. Always innovating, Portal 2 is an excellent puzzle challenge that will keep you amused for about 8 hours. It also has a nice co-op campaign that furthers the gameplay a lot more.
    It holds your hand a little bit, and some puzzles require more trial and error than thought & skill, but overall it is a very solid game.
  21. May 19, 2011
    10/10 - I struggle to give 10/10 for a game, and don't misunderstand - this game isn't absolutely perfect - but it is as close to perfection as a game is likely to get and 9/10 just doesn't seem good enough. The story and script is top notch, the graphics and controls are all but flawless and the sense of achievement is thoroughly satisfying.
    If I had to criticize - it would be out of a
    If I had to criticize - it would be out of a desire for more! The game isn't all that replayable until some time has passed for you to forget some of the puzzles. It would be nice to have a set of "challenge" levels to really stretch the old noggin.
    All-in-all, best game I have played in the last couple of years by quite a way.
  22. Aug 10, 2011
    I just bought this game a few days ago. I haven't beaten it yet (I know its short), but so far it has won me over. This game, like the first, has such a charm to it that your left flabbergasted at how well put together it is. From the graphics to the voice acting, to the story line and the way its put together to the puzzles. I know I will end up spending hours upon end on this game,I just bought this game a few days ago. I haven't beaten it yet (I know its short), but so far it has won me over. This game, like the first, has such a charm to it that your left flabbergasted at how well put together it is. From the graphics to the voice acting, to the story line and the way its put together to the puzzles. I know I will end up spending hours upon end on this game, probably not only with the main storyline, but also with custom content and MP. Thank you valve, you actually managed to create a game with a proper sense of humor (the reds apparently didn't "get it"). I don't mind that it's short, aslong as those hours spent completing the game are spent with a big-ass smile on my face I am good. With this game I am smiling after I shut it down for the night. Expand
  23. May 25, 2011
    I love this game! With its amazing singleplayer, funny co-op, amazing gameplay and awesome story, it is one of the best games ever! The biggest problem with it is that the co-op isn't that replayible, but that is ok as long as it is awesome
  24. May 28, 2011
    Great, great, great game!! I, like many others, loved the first one and I am glad that the 2nd one comes back with just as much passion. In my mind it is just as good as the first one, but by that virtue it means that the novelty is not quite as high. That is a non-issue though. Everything that was awesome about the first one is awesome again in this one. I also still have the endGreat, great, great game!! I, like many others, loved the first one and I am glad that the 2nd one comes back with just as much passion. In my mind it is just as good as the first one, but by that virtue it means that the novelty is not quite as high. That is a non-issue though. Everything that was awesome about the first one is awesome again in this one. I also still have the end credit song in my head. Expand
  25. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the best games made on a source engine. Better than first part, but have in mind that first Portal wasn't and standalone title, just small ad-don to Orange Box. This one could be more challengeable, but I know kids on consoles have problem with playing games that makes a challenge. ~8h of playing worth cash I spent on it.
  26. Aug 13, 2011
    This is an absolutely brilliant game. Everybody should own it, especially since the price dropped to only $30 on steam. The graphics are amazing, and the story was very entertaining.
  27. Sep 13, 2011
    Absolutely stunning. This is an epic scale game with new ways to interact with the environment, new puzzle types, new personalities, and a huge helping of witty quips. It's funny as hell, and the mechanics are incredibly rewarding. The only issue is that the puzzles are a little bit too easy and the campaign is therefore quite short (maybe 3-5 hrs). But throw in multiplayer and it'sAbsolutely stunning. This is an epic scale game with new ways to interact with the environment, new puzzle types, new personalities, and a huge helping of witty quips. It's funny as hell, and the mechanics are incredibly rewarding. The only issue is that the puzzles are a little bit too easy and the campaign is therefore quite short (maybe 3-5 hrs). But throw in multiplayer and it's definitely worth $20. Expand
  28. Aug 24, 2011
    Perfectly braingcrash game from very cool developers
  29. Sep 13, 2011
    There are two types of people I will write to in this review... those who are new to portal, and those who played the first and are wondering about the sequel. If you are new to Portal, go get Portal 2. Never fear, it will teach you the basic mechanics in the beginning. The single player campaign is masterfully entertaining. It's main downfall is the shorter than average single playerThere are two types of people I will write to in this review... those who are new to portal, and those who played the first and are wondering about the sequel. If you are new to Portal, go get Portal 2. Never fear, it will teach you the basic mechanics in the beginning. The single player campaign is masterfully entertaining. It's main downfall is the shorter than average single player campaign (which might actually be very long if you have trouble solving the puzzles). If you played Portal 1, my advice comes with some warnings. This game is not at all like Portal 1. Sure the puzzles can be similar, but once gels, lasers, and light bridges are added into the mix they become very different. Portal 2 is big, with an epic scale. Where Portal 1 was a contained, intimate experience. If you are like me, you played Portal 1 to death and became very good at "thinking with portals" If so, you may find all the puzzles in Portal 2 too easy with straight-forward solutions. This also led to the campaign feeling short, because I was breezing through the challenges. However, Valve has promised a more difficult map-pack, and I have played some brilliant community-made maps. So if you are a Portal 1 fan, be warned: this is a very good game, but it is not the same at all. Expand
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    yea yea. We expected more from the game. But its still amazing. C'mon, is almost impossible to make something better than portal 1 and they made it! BUT LOTS OF PEOPLE dont want just a better game, they want a perfect game.
    Hatters ganna hate.
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    If you disregard all of the user reviews that have egregiously bad spelling and grammar (not knowing the diference between there/they're/their, spelling 'paid' as 'pay'd', for example) then only positive reviews are left for this game. Which is as it should be, this game is deserving of all the superlatives being tossed at it. So do yourself a favor and ignore all the idiocy going on inIf you disregard all of the user reviews that have egregiously bad spelling and grammar (not knowing the diference between there/they're/their, spelling 'paid' as 'pay'd', for example) then only positive reviews are left for this game. Which is as it should be, this game is deserving of all the superlatives being tossed at it. So do yourself a favor and ignore all the idiocy going on in this user review section, and get this game now. Expand
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve has done it again. Portal 2 exceeds on every single level that the first did. The puzzles are more intricate. The story is more enticing. All of the gels add a lot more to the gameplay as well. The voice acting is great (J.K. Simmons is amazing as Cave Johnson). Portal 2 is what every gamer expects from a sequel. The same gameplay mechanics, with a new and better story. A trueValve has done it again. Portal 2 exceeds on every single level that the first did. The puzzles are more intricate. The story is more enticing. All of the gels add a lot more to the gameplay as well. The voice acting is great (J.K. Simmons is amazing as Cave Johnson). Portal 2 is what every gamer expects from a sequel. The same gameplay mechanics, with a new and better story. A true masterpiece. Now, let's get working on Half-Life 2: Ep. 3 / Half-Life 3. Expand
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic game. 472/177 give it a positive review. On this site, that's like gold. If you haven't noticed, people often come here to troll. Ignore them, this game is everything portal was. The magic is here, and it feels like a real PC game. Smoothest PC gameplay in years, and looks great. GlaDOS is Just as funny as before, and you get to learn where her personality comes from. FantasticFantastic game. 472/177 give it a positive review. On this site, that's like gold. If you haven't noticed, people often come here to troll. Ignore them, this game is everything portal was. The magic is here, and it feels like a real PC game. Smoothest PC gameplay in years, and looks great. GlaDOS is Just as funny as before, and you get to learn where her personality comes from. Fantastic story. Wish it was a little longer, but that's hard to ask for without waiting a few more years as it takes quite a while to design and test such a game. If you really do expect a longer puzzle based game, that is as GOOD as this one, your $h17 out of luck. Expand
  34. Apr 22, 2011
    Brilliant. An example of gaming done right, without resorting to violence yet still exciting. Imaginative and intelligent plot, music and gameplay with equal parts drama, introspection, loneliness and action. And comedy, of course!
  35. Jun 3, 2011
    The sheer quality of Portal 2's content is incredible. The characters are so well written and acted, the plot for a game which has little more to its core than shooting portals is truly epic in every sense of the word, the source engine still looks incredible and in my opinion better than most newer engines currently being used. As you progress you're just drawn further and further intoThe sheer quality of Portal 2's content is incredible. The characters are so well written and acted, the plot for a game which has little more to its core than shooting portals is truly epic in every sense of the word, the source engine still looks incredible and in my opinion better than most newer engines currently being used. As you progress you're just drawn further and further into the plot, and the two main characters (other than yourself) really make the story, and thus the game, providing all kinds of banter, twists, reveals, and so on. The levels are always satisfying. I was never left perplexed for more than 5 or 10 minutes at what I needed to do, but then getting it done in the correct order would be another task in itself, and most of the rooms/puzzles are truly satisfying to take on. The game length is fairly short, but any longer would have left the concept to become stale - so as a one time play-through, it's about the right length. However there-in lies its downfall - it is just a one time play-through (same with co-op)and the reason why i can't give it a higher score despite very much wanting to, and everything else about the game being deserving of it. I would also liked to have seen some more complex and twitch-based or portal-loop based chambers including some of the features removed from the game during playtests, as these looked in videos, to be some of the most exciting and fast-paced - I suppose this is the other reason why I can't give it a 9. At times the lighting really wowed me, and to think this is a rather dated engine, what it can produce with a few updates is pretty amazing. To top it off, you also have a fair bit of co-op that provides a lot of fun, and no doubt many mods and content to come from valve and the community. Hopfully valve and the community will be releasing new test chambers soon.â Expand
  36. Apr 24, 2011
    If this game was just an expansion of the first portal, then I would have been dissapointed. However, Portal 2 offers additions: reflection cubes, various coloured paint, wall/bridges & pull/push beams to keep the gameplay varied and ultimately this game has very impressive level design. I didn't find the game that amusing, but there are more lines from NPC's to make you smile. I thinkIf this game was just an expansion of the first portal, then I would have been dissapointed. However, Portal 2 offers additions: reflection cubes, various coloured paint, wall/bridges & pull/push beams to keep the gameplay varied and ultimately this game has very impressive level design. I didn't find the game that amusing, but there are more lines from NPC's to make you smile. I think this game is far superior to the original and I highly recommend it. Expand
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    Undoubtedly the best game of the past 5 years. First I will address the trolls: I don't know why everyone throws this $60 number around, because on Steam, it's $49.99, and it's well worth the price. Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops sold for more and have DLCs that were actually necessary to the game, and I would still say "Portal 2 is better" with a straight face. Speaking of DLCs, I wouldUndoubtedly the best game of the past 5 years. First I will address the trolls: I don't know why everyone throws this $60 number around, because on Steam, it's $49.99, and it's well worth the price. Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops sold for more and have DLCs that were actually necessary to the game, and I would still say "Portal 2 is better" with a straight face. Speaking of DLCs, I would appreciate it if people didn't just say "I heard Portal 2 has DLCs, that's crap!" and actually figured out that it's similar to TF2's Mann Co. Store - just hats and weapon changes (hardly upgrades). However, Portal doesn't sell any weaponry, just simple cosmetic effects (i.e. hats) that have absolutely no effect on gameplay and are 100% unnecessary. The $80 number you hear? That's just the combined value of EVERYTHING in the store, which nobody in the world would ever buy. It should not be included in the game. If people want to put a hat on a robot unnecessarily, I believe Valve can make them pay for the privilege so we don't have everyone dressed up like pimps while solving puzzles. It is not "robbery". It is not forced. It is for people who have money to blow. If you don't want to spend extra money, pay $49.99 and enjoy the game. As for the completion time, anyone that says they're completing it in under 6 hours (ESPECIALLY on their first try) is pulling your leg, possibly because they think the Steam game timer is accurate (hint: it's not). It took me approximately 9 not including my foray into the co-op, and I didn't get stuck very often. The singleplayer is memorable, entertaining, and the ending will draw tears. I can't say that for Black Ops. The whole potato ordeal - if you had played the game, you would have noticed several references to potatoes (including one that's right in front of you for the entire second half of the game!) but the entire point of the Potato Sack sale was to market indie games, NOT to cheat people out of money for worthless potatoes. If you bought the Potato Sack to earn potatoes, I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. Those who bought it to play the indie games, congratulations, you now have $120 worth of games for only $30! Cool, huh? And hey, if you managed to earn all possible potatoes, Valve did a one-up - you got the ENTIRE Valve Collection PLUS gift codes for all of your games in your ENTIRE library to give to friends PLUS a free extra copy of Portal 2! Hence, I'm not so sure why the Potato Sack sale was a bad thing. Now, onto the review: Portal 1 was an entirely new genre, which makes it fun and refreshing, but lacking on a lot of puzzle elements. Only so much one can do with two portals and some cubes. Portal 2 takes the storyline, puzzle elements, and preconceptions based off of Portal 1 and turns it on its head. Anyone that played the original MUST play this - you will be confused, lost, and bombarded with emotions, and I will say that what you came away with from Portal 1 is all wrong. The graphics are amazing, especially for a Source game. The tweaks to the facility make the storyline really start to shine, and the underground chapters blew my mind. Those saying Portal 2 didn't expand on Aperture's history obviously have not played the game, as it showed 3 decades of it quite vividly! I loved Portal, but it pales in comparison to this game. If you have any love for the Portal series, you're a puzzle gamer by any means, or you'd just like to experience GLaDOS's impeccable sense of sarcastic humor (not to mention Wheatley, Cave, the announcer, and the defective turrets!) then you must purchase this game. Expand
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    Loving this game. 6 hours played so far and I'm failing on the white-out level due to my eyes hanging out! Beautifully polished game, with great voice acting and good humour. Was absolutely worth the wait. I've not tried cooperative yet but the single player alone has been worth the purchase and I'm not even finished yet!

10/10 Valve - superb work.
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    Aight. So i'm going to explain the history of the ARG to those who are thinking of buying this game. Here we go.
    First, clues were released. Some you could find in real life, some on websites, some in games. 36 potatoes were believed to be attainable for a certain 'reward' that was hinted at. A timer for a POSSIBLE early release was shown on Friday April 15th. No promises, never worded like "ITS RELEASING EARLY THIS FRIDAY." None of that. Being the non-idiot that I was, I anticipated an april fools joke, which it wound up being. Apparently nobody found it funny, although I found it hilarious, especially when everyone nerd raged. So then ARG became official. If you wanted to partake you either had to buy the potato pack or had to have all the indie games already. It wasn't FORCED or OBLIGATED, and yet everyone complains of course. If you didn't want to participate, didn't want the early release, THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE most of us said, but they kept whining. They even have the gall to say that every game in the pack sucked. Amnesia, Killing Floor, Audiosurf and more, in the pack, all some of my most favourite games have been heralded for being some of the best most unique indie games out there. Not my fault that you love your Black Ops or Dragon Age 2 so much you lost sight on what makes a game good, but moving on.
    Disaster happens, Portal 2 console gets leaked, spoilers are spammed all over the forums by trolls, and somehow Valve becomes responsible. Even if people don't claim they are responsible though, they still cling onto this "We are entitled to early release because at this point i'm sad and the ending is spoiled for me, please don't make me sad anymore, the damage is done now release release release!!!" Which of course is ridiculous. Games get leaked or pirated early ALL THE TIME. You are NOT entitled to anything. There was no sense in having it released this early simply because a few idiots went on the forums despite the leak being common knowledge. Those that aren't whiny emos either leave it alone or participate, or at the very least looked at all this with more of a critical eye. 60% of the profits from the potato pack was going to indie developers, which is always a good thing in my book. We were racking up the indie game hours so we could chip a few hours off the timer, and thats what we got. We had a midnight release, which was glorious. Those that collected all the potatoes(Which the whole process was actually fun by the way, was kind of like detective work) got it even earlier than the others, and also received the valve complete pack. Amazingly generous, and yet people still complain about not getting extra copies if they already had it, those that didn't complete it on time called it **** blah blah blah. So what it all was was a bunch of people being sore losers. They either couldn't afford the potato pack which is fine, it just means you don't get the perks. Don't know about you but I think the world works that way, the more you pay the more perks you get. Also those that work (for their potatoes) those that put time into it get huge perks. Simple as that. If you missed out thats entirely your fault. If you don't like it this way and you are incapable of looking at Valve as a game company, not a charity case, then your view is skewed.
    They can be generous, but there is a limit. All in all the ARG campaign was intricate and fun, and Portal 2 (As of now I have finished it) was a gorgeous gorgeous game. I have to admit with it being rated E and all I expected it to be stuffed with cheese, but it had just the right amount to make it enjoyable. The day one dlc that everyone is making a fuss about are just a few extra skins. Nothing akin to Bioware having day one dlc like an entire character that affects the story or anything. Don't want it? Don't buy it, simple. This goes for just about everything that I mentioned in this review.
    I hope this brought some perspective. If it didn't thats too bad, because you're missing out.
  40. May 1, 2011
    Reasons to not to buy this game: NONE!!! (unless your husband or wife has recently warned you not to spend too much time on your PC or console playing games.) I have written several reviews on this Forum. But i have never been so enthusiastic about a game like this one. It is fascinating in many ways and great fun to play. Another game completely developed with the player in mind.Reasons to not to buy this game: NONE!!! (unless your husband or wife has recently warned you not to spend too much time on your PC or console playing games.) I have written several reviews on this Forum. But i have never been so enthusiastic about a game like this one. It is fascinating in many ways and great fun to play. Another game completely developed with the player in mind. Excellent value for money. Out of the box innovative, atmospheric puzzling game-play. I have played and enjoyed many good games in my life since the commodore 64 bit pc but this is one i will remember. I think that every year we find about 3 to 5 good games that are really worth buying. This one comes on top of my list list containing: World of goo, ME 3, Crysis 2, Dirt 2 and the Halflife series. Please do not let negative user reviews influence you on not buying this game. It is about 40-50 hours of fun and action on the single player campaign. (I haven't started the coöp mode yet.) Please give me a mark if you find this useful info. ps: There are a few easter eggs hidden in this game, check google if you wish to find them. Expand
  41. Apr 23, 2011
    There is nothing more that I can ask from a single player video game then "Let me enjoy the single player experience. Valve literally did nothing wrong with this game. This game is underrated. it should have 100.
  42. May 10, 2011
    The good: Great writing and presentation, awesome new mechanics, and just a real ambition for what a game can do.

The bad: Short, less replayability than the first as this game focuses more on puzzles than action and acrobatics, and inevitable but perhaps still disappointing: P2 can't possibly recreate the surprise of P1 when discovering that what looked to be an amusing little puzzle game was actually packed with story, characterization and top notch dark humor.
  43. Apr 21, 2011
    If you prefer quality over quantity, buy this game. It's the finest 8 hours of game I've ever played, and it was worth every penny. The writing is brilliant, the voice acting is superb, and the puzzles are challenging but not masochistic. This game is funny, innovative, and in all aspects magnificent. The only thing I can criticize this game for is an abrupt transition from one theme toIf you prefer quality over quantity, buy this game. It's the finest 8 hours of game I've ever played, and it was worth every penny. The writing is brilliant, the voice acting is superb, and the puzzles are challenging but not masochistic. This game is funny, innovative, and in all aspects magnificent. The only thing I can criticize this game for is an abrupt transition from one theme to the next. Don't listen to the reviews that give this game a 0: they're either over-entitled idiots who vote 0 because they find one aspect of the game they don't agree with or they're butthurt because of the ARG. Expand
  44. May 16, 2011
    The game is absolutely stunning. It took me about 8 hours for the single-player campaign according to Steam meter and these were the 8 hours of absolute brain candy. Some may say it is not enough for 50 bucks but I can tell you it is much better deal than paying 30 for a 2 hour movie and yet people are not complaining about that. Also it feels just right - add 30 minutes more and it wouldThe game is absolutely stunning. It took me about 8 hours for the single-player campaign according to Steam meter and these were the 8 hours of absolute brain candy. Some may say it is not enough for 50 bucks but I can tell you it is much better deal than paying 30 for a 2 hour movie and yet people are not complaining about that. Also it feels just right - add 30 minutes more and it would become either repetitive or would have to add more game elements making the game much longer. My guess is that Valve probably had much more material, probably enough for a good expansion pack or even Portal 3, but I think they have chosen to make the game shorter on purpose. This way it can be more polished and can be finished in one weekend so that player would not lose the immersion by interrupting it in the middle. I have not played the coop mission since it is hard to find time but I did not buy the game for the multiplayer option anyway.

The design is beautiful, the story is great and has those sudden twists that remind me of some of the David Lynch movies. Puzzle difficulty is spot on - just hard enough to bring you to the verge of frustration but never carries you to the land of long wasted hours spent trying to figure out what you are supposed to do and cheating by going online. I even thought for the moment that it may be user adaptive since I was able to just blend into the story so well and solve everything without me being a typical puzzle gamer - I play mostly FPS but occasionally do the old style Myst type adventures. The quality of work is what I expect from Valve - not a single glitch and level design is done so carefully that each frame is a piece worthy of display. Games like this make video gaming an art form. I care less if it is is DX9 or 11 but one thing I would want is a little more world interactivity - perhaps in the style of Bioshock where player could read some diaries, e-mails etc. Also with all the vast number of objects in the game none can be manipulated even if just for the heck of it - feels somewhat 90s or early 00s. But I guess that is done on purpose so that puzzles would not become too easy in some cases. After all we are taken to a lab environment, meaning it is controlled.

Is this the best game ever? Matter of taste. But it is definite 10 points and makes my personal list of the best games ever together with HL/HL2, Escape from Butcher Bay, Bioshock and S.T.A.L.K.E.R (this one after all the patches in place and if played in Russian) and perhaps Doom 3. Only these could capture and keep me in their world through entire game and that is how I judge a game.
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only problem with this game is it lacks the surprise element of the first game. Everything else is better: better gameplay with new elements like blue jelly and solid light, better graphics, awesome voice acting and nice script, interesting story, good puzzles, not too difficult though. Plus now there's a co-operative campaign to play with your friends online. Expand
  46. Apr 22, 2011
    This game reminds me what videogames should be about: fun, phantasy and fun. Oh did i mention fun already?

An absolutely blast and I did not even try the coop mode! 2011 seems to be a great year for gamers, but every other game coming out this year has a real high bar to jump over!
  47. Apr 23, 2011
    Okay the short version, Portal 2 is a masterpiece. Buy it. Go on, do it now. For those of you who like to read, here's the detailed version. Portal 2 is the funniest game I've ever played. You need to play this just for the comedy value. Remember those amusing Cave Johnson trailers? Its like that throughout the entire game. The writing and voice acting are amazing, and this combines toOkay the short version, Portal 2 is a masterpiece. Buy it. Go on, do it now. For those of you who like to read, here's the detailed version. Portal 2 is the funniest game I've ever played. You need to play this just for the comedy value. Remember those amusing Cave Johnson trailers? Its like that throughout the entire game. The writing and voice acting are amazing, and this combines to allow the various robots in Portal 2 to show far more personality and emotion, than Human characters in a lot of other games by other developers. The level design is creative and the puzzles are intelligent, and best of all, the game doesn't grab you by the ear and drag you to the objectives. Instead, the player is given space to work out the solutions for themselves. There are clues, but they are subtly built into the surrounding area. If you're ever stuck, just look around, and you'll figure it out. Like the first game, the player is taught new tricks slowly, before getting a chance to use what they learned in more complex situations. I personally value gameplay over graphics, but if graphics are your thing, Portal 2 is gorgeous to look at. I've read some people saying the single player is 4 hours long. This is completely wrong, it took me 8 hours, and I don't see how anyone could get through it in under 6 even knowing all the solutions straight away. There is also a coop mode which I haven't tried yet, but which should add a bit of extra replayability. The only bad thing I can mention is the inclusion of the Mann Co â Expand
  48. Apr 23, 2011
    Not going to lie, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Like puzzles? Portal 2 has got you. Awesome story? check. The game retains most of the magic of it's predecessor, and makes it even better. GoTY all the way.
  49. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 very simply tops the original in almost every single way with the only thing letting it down being the reduced novelty of the basic portal mechanic. It is incredibly well written, excellently voiced characters with genuinely designed levels and all wrapped up in a package of non-conformism compared to the usual AAA video games.

Ultimately Portal 2 is just a pure piece of

Ultimately Portal 2 is just a pure piece of entertainment from start to finish and if it does not get Game of the Year then there simply is no justice in the industry. No game in the past three years comes close to what Portal 2 is and that is not just opinion, it is the truth of the matter.

Get this game on PC/Mac or PS3, only get the 360 version if you have no other choice since you get the most value from the other versions.

And for all those who badly rated Portal 2 on metacritic for asinine reasons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yytbDZrw1jc
  50. Apr 24, 2011
    Most of the things I love about this game have already been addressed in other user reviews.. I'll just say that this is probably the first game I've seen that can be funny, scary and mysterious at the same time. Also, the dynamic music engine is wonderful. Looking forward to post-release DLC chambers!
  51. Apr 24, 2011
    Great game that is well written and has a fantastic sense of humor. I havnt tried the multiplayer yet(still working on single player) but the game could well be game of the year(we will see about Skyrim).
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    Totally best game from Valve. Story is fantastic, personalities are fantastic. Whole game is FANTASTIC. Really good optimization. Playing on notebook and it slightly heatened. Tryed coop too. Ending is way out of my mind. Very cool. Damn, don't have so many words to describe the game. Entourages are so EPIC, especially at the BOTTOM. Really Good Game. Best regards, Valve. Maybe you willTotally best game from Valve. Story is fantastic, personalities are fantastic. Whole game is FANTASTIC. Really good optimization. Playing on notebook and it slightly heatened. Tryed coop too. Ending is way out of my mind. Very cool. Damn, don't have so many words to describe the game. Entourages are so EPIC, especially at the BOTTOM. Really Good Game. Best regards, Valve. Maybe you will surprise us with more stories and games. Expand
  53. Apr 23, 2011
    The best game I have ever played. Challenging, funny, long, and just plain brilliant. Its a workout for your brain, but if you are up for it, is incredibly rewarding.
  54. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is is the best game from valve ever, the visuals are unbelivable, the sound is amazing, the puzzles are hard but once you figure it out it you feel smart and love it, the story is unbalivabley awesome, co-op is great ONLY if your friends have it otherwise you dont get to play... otherwise thats good, still this is the most awesome thing ever...of all time.
  55. Apr 24, 2011
    I really don't understand the hate some users are heaping on this--this game is FUN!

Absolutely loved it all. The dialog is once again endlessly quotable: sharp, witty, and intelligent. Those reporting that it's not funny...are certainly not humorous people. In fact, they're probably dead bores, socially obtuse, and only adept at creating awkward silences. For anyone else with half a sense of humor, this stuff is gold. Plot's solid, there's some great history about Aperture Laboratories, and it does a great job at wrapping everything up. The puzzles are challenging, all the new elements are a lot of fun, and it feels like there was a great deal of thought, care, and innovation put into this. As I played, I couldn't help but marvel sometimes at just how much I missed this kind of experience--Portal 2 takes on all the good of the original game, and makes it even that much better. A must buy, and a strong, well-deserved contender for Game of the Year!
  56. Jun 23, 2011
    The new mechanics introduced in Portal 2 really give it a new angle on puzzles, where sometimes you nearly facepalm after figuring out how simple the puzzle you've been staring at for half an hour really are. Character development of supporting cast is well done, The humor is still there despite the lack of a good meme (near as I can tell). I have not yet done the multiplayer (holding thatThe new mechanics introduced in Portal 2 really give it a new angle on puzzles, where sometimes you nearly facepalm after figuring out how simple the puzzle you've been staring at for half an hour really are. Character development of supporting cast is well done, The humor is still there despite the lack of a good meme (near as I can tell). I have not yet done the multiplayer (holding that so a buddy can get achievement) but this is one of the most entertaining games I've played in a long time. The notable downside is the low replay value, unless you space it out long enough to forget all the solutions and forget the humor. I'd still say this game is totally worth buying, low replay value is the only reason I'm scoring it below a 10. Expand
  57. Apr 19, 2011
    I noticed something reading the reviews: almost every negative review (or negative portion of a review) was just typical PC gamers being whiny and entitled, and almost none of them talk about the game itself. I don't know about you but when I am getting a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time, I don't want too much change. If it aint broke, don't fix it, especially when it can beI noticed something reading the reviews: almost every negative review (or negative portion of a review) was just typical PC gamers being whiny and entitled, and almost none of them talk about the game itself. I don't know about you but when I am getting a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time, I don't want too much change. If it aint broke, don't fix it, especially when it can be easily ruined... Otherwise this game was AMAZING and if you don't buy it you have no soul. Expand
  58. Apr 19, 2011
    The best game ever !
    Beautiful, funny, and very very immersive. Just huge!
    I did put the max rating because the game is not perfect, but Portal 2 clearly approaching. Great gameplay , great design and graphics, a nice story, humor and a fantastic atmosphere! An intelligent game, although I find it a little too easy. As for Coop, he's amazing. What fun ! You too, enjoy yourself, and start
    The best game ever !
    Beautiful, funny, and very very immersive. Just huge!
    An intelligent game, although I find it a little too easy.
    As for Coop, he's amazing.
    What fun !
    You too, enjoy yourself, and start your adventure, you will not regret it.

My score : 10

P.S : Sorry for my poor English, I'm French.
  59. Apr 21, 2011
    I loved every second of it, its amazing. For all the people rating it low because it should had been added as DLC? Seriously? It may have been fairly short but it was worth it. You wouldnt had have the same expierence on the old source engine. The new one pushes everything to the max. The ending is amazing too.
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is frankly amazing. I suspect there won't be a better game this year. It is in every way grander, and is very pretty despite being DX9 still. If you liked Portal, you really shouldn't be disappointed.

Never have I see so much furore about some totally crap DLC. People buy this stuff? People buy the TF2 stuff? Valve haven't realised that micro transactions are supposed to be small apparently, they'd sell a lot more pointless DLC if the pack didn't cost as much as Portal 2 does.
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    Loved it! The dialogue is the most humourous I've heard in a long time. I laughed my head of at Stephen Merchant's character. I wasn't as big of a fan of Portal 1 but now I finally understand the hype behind it, Portal 2 is fantastic :)
  62. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is an example of game done right. It's great, fun, funny in a dark kind of way, it excels in writing, characters and above all awesome game and level design. A must have for everyone who likes fun. I just wish it was longer, because I can't get enough of it.
  63. Apr 24, 2011
    One game you should not miss. Genuinely funny and intelligent Portal 2 is the kind of game that makes me remember why i started gaming in the first place. Unlike its predecessor the game shines through story and character design. Not to say that Portal was bad in those categories. It's just that Portal 2 has so many "WOW" moments, so many vistas that show the immensity of ApertureOne game you should not miss. Genuinely funny and intelligent Portal 2 is the kind of game that makes me remember why i started gaming in the first place. Unlike its predecessor the game shines through story and character design. Not to say that Portal was bad in those categories. It's just that Portal 2 has so many "WOW" moments, so many vistas that show the immensity of Aperture Science, it just makes you feel small and insignificant. Like a rat rat in maze. I have never felt this way by playing a game before. Buy it. It is the a game for the ages. Expand
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    To all you hater Nerds, its a great game, go troll **** This game never pretended to be anything other than a 'short niche puzzle game' thats what Portal is! As for console port? go **** about that if the gameplay is impeded not because theres some left over strings.
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    to find faults with this game would be absolutely pointless. It is the best example of clever level design and creative ideas coming together in a videogame you can find. The physics based puzzles all have logical and satisfying solutions, and require a degree of good reflexes and precision. But the real star of this game is the incredible writing and voice acting, which will consistentlyto find faults with this game would be absolutely pointless. It is the best example of clever level design and creative ideas coming together in a videogame you can find. The physics based puzzles all have logical and satisfying solutions, and require a degree of good reflexes and precision. But the real star of this game is the incredible writing and voice acting, which will consistently make you laugh and at times make you think. Yes, the game is hysterical, but if you examine the mythos of aperture science and the way it is run enough, you can pull some very deep morals out of it. Themes of artificial intelligence, sanity, and forgiveness are all present in the cleverly twisted story. This is not a game, it is a full on sensual experience that you can only enjoy by totally immersing yourself into the world Valve has created and be willing to think in ways you are not used to in a videogame. Whether you are playing the single player or co-operative online campaigns, the experience of Portal 2 is nothing short of masterful. There are games that come out every few years that defy normal genre conventions, impact the gamer like no game before it, and create lasting memories and experiences that are not normally found in a video game. Games among the ranks of Bioshock, , Half Life, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. These are not merely games that are incredible for their polish and perfection of conventional game design, but their originality and the way they create experiences that can only be felt in a video game. Portal 2 is one of those games. It is a gorgeously crafted, brilliantly designed and incredibly written. Whatever faults the game may have, you will be too caught up in its mysterious world and intricate puzzles to notice. You may not spend hundreds of hours into the game like a popular shooter, but the memories you'll get from the game will last for years. Expand
  66. Apr 23, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic game. a fast paced, witty and intelligent single player, with memorable characters and some hilarious plot twists. simply the funniest game ever, and one of the best. The co-op provides the same great portal experience, but this time with a friend which makes it even more enjoyable and hilarious. the graphics are sharp and pretty, Valve clearly know what they are doingAbsolutely fantastic game. a fast paced, witty and intelligent single player, with memorable characters and some hilarious plot twists. simply the funniest game ever, and one of the best. The co-op provides the same great portal experience, but this time with a friend which makes it even more enjoyable and hilarious. the graphics are sharp and pretty, Valve clearly know what they are doing with their Source technology, seeing as 7 years on it still provides great visuals. Portal 2 also has a fantastic soundtrack and superb voice acting. If you want a fun, challenging and worthwhile experience, Portal 2 is the game for you! Expand
  67. May 14, 2013
    Portal 2 suffers from too much of a good thing syndrome. Yes this game is fun and yes the game mechanics are sound, but after the first portal game this one has a tough act to follow. It does everything right and very little wrong, but after awhile it does indeed become too much of a good thing and even though its not a bad thing. I found my self getting over exposed to the game whilePortal 2 suffers from too much of a good thing syndrome. Yes this game is fun and yes the game mechanics are sound, but after the first portal game this one has a tough act to follow. It does everything right and very little wrong, but after awhile it does indeed become too much of a good thing and even though its not a bad thing. I found my self getting over exposed to the game while actually playing the game. Portal 2 doesn't really do anything wrong, but how much chocolate can you eat over and over again? Expand
  68. BMF
    Apr 21, 2011
    All the people who gave negative reviews dont know what they are talking about. With portal 2 Valve showed they are still the number one gaming company on the planet and I cant wait to see what Half Life 3 and source engine 2 will bring to the table. Portal 2 shows that puzzle games can also be story driven epics with highly detailed environments and characters that you wish you could meetAll the people who gave negative reviews dont know what they are talking about. With portal 2 Valve showed they are still the number one gaming company on the planet and I cant wait to see what Half Life 3 and source engine 2 will bring to the table. Portal 2 shows that puzzle games can also be story driven epics with highly detailed environments and characters that you wish you could meet in real life. Coop and single player combined took around 13 hours to complete and I will definitely be jumping back in game for more. Expand
  69. Apr 20, 2011
    I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. I haven't beaten it yet...around 5 hrs in...but I'm close. The game is superb. Yes it feels similar to the first, but why mess up a broken formula? There are so many great new mechanics that keep the game fresh and exciting. The graphics are a little less than they could have been, but IMO still look fantastic especially on an olderI honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. I haven't beaten it yet...around 5 hrs in...but I'm close. The game is superb. Yes it feels similar to the first, but why mess up a broken formula? There are so many great new mechanics that keep the game fresh and exciting. The graphics are a little less than they could have been, but IMO still look fantastic especially on an older engine. Honestly the graphics don't look a whole lot weaker than some of the other subpar games released within the past year or so (looking at you CoD...). The game is very inventive...great puzzle that require thinking to solve. Portal 2 also has incredible voice acting and sounds. The story is even a thrill.

To the people complaining I don't get it. The DLC complaint is just ridiculous. You know that it's just silly things then why buy it? Valve doesn't force you to buy the hats and gestures. Who cares if your robot can twirl or wave in coop? Seriously....if you need new ways to communicate with your partner in coop there's two programs called Ventrillo and TeamSpeak that can handle that for you.

I'm tired of seeing good games get bad reviews cause everyone is sour on this DLC material. Yes it's annoying, but there's not much going to happen. The industry is going this way so deal with it. If you don't want the material, don't buy it. At least with Portal 2 the DLC is ridiculous things that don't matter...they didn't put part of the storyline in there or anything so people should just calm down.

Bottom line...buy this game and fully enjoy the game of the year candidate. Honestly this is avg a 95 by critics right now?! Cmon they can't all be paid off =P. If you skip out on this cause of the ridiculous things people are throwing negative reviews at it for...then you're missing out on one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming.
  70. Apr 20, 2011
    I really don't like rating games 10, because no game is perfect. So think of my 10 as more of a 9.9 or a 9.8. This is without a doubt not only the best game I've played this year, but the best game I've played in a few years now.
    The game is NOT 4 hours long. Until I see a video of someone going through the game in 4 hours, I will never be able to conceive how they could possibly do that without cheating. The game is easily over 8 hours long and that's just the single player. Not to mention you are bound to spend time on your first or second play through looking for easter eggs, hearing all the audio and getting stuck on some of the harder puzzles.
    The Co-op is great, if anything it's almost as good as the single player, because it adds the extra challenge of the puzzles needing use of all the portals. It's packed full of content separate from the single player campaign and is just great.
    There is NO DLC! Some idiots seem to believe that there is day 1 DLC, I will confirm that there is not. People are possibly confused because in the co-op campaign, there is a store that allows you to customise your character. But they are all aesthetics, they bring nothing new to the game and they take nothing away, so there is no reason to buy them and therefore no reason to complain. It's not like they're forcing you to buy the co-op or something.

My GOTY 2011. It's early in the year but I don't see how any games being released this year are going to be better than this (except maybe LA Noire, but we'll see).

If you're going to get the game, get it on PC! The game is not a console port and is best played PC!
  71. Apr 22, 2011
    Valve releases another winner with Portal 2. Every puzzle is challenging without being frustrating; every joke and voice-over is laugh-out-loud funny. The backstory of Aperture Science is also approached in an interesting way. Those who are complaining that they beat the game in a half-hour, rating it a 2 and asking for their money back need to stop it...no one's impressed. Because in theValve releases another winner with Portal 2. Every puzzle is challenging without being frustrating; every joke and voice-over is laugh-out-loud funny. The backstory of Aperture Science is also approached in an interesting way. Those who are complaining that they beat the game in a half-hour, rating it a 2 and asking for their money back need to stop it...no one's impressed. Because in the end, those people aren't playing games for the right reason anyway. Just go out and buy Portal 2 now...well worth it. Expand
  72. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is somewhat of a perfect game, with it's enticing sound and great characters, it also includes on of the most innovative puzzles of all time. This isn't your average mind-bending puzzle, Portal 2 is reasonable, it's easy once you know whats going on, but it stills proves a challenge. Portal 2 is an amazing game, with CO-OP which will always go on, this deserves to be game of thePortal 2 is somewhat of a perfect game, with it's enticing sound and great characters, it also includes on of the most innovative puzzles of all time. This isn't your average mind-bending puzzle, Portal 2 is reasonable, it's easy once you know whats going on, but it stills proves a challenge. Portal 2 is an amazing game, with CO-OP which will always go on, this deserves to be game of the year. Perfect, no, but it is the best game we have seen so far in 2011. Portal 2 features chell and glados, the dynamic duo. with excellent voice work, and a great story, its length and that it is awesome, it might not be perfect but it deserves my ten Expand
  73. Apr 24, 2011
    After seeing so many bad reviews lowering Portal 2's score, I felt compelled to write one review myself. In a nutshell, Portal 2 is a great game, definitely better than the original. It is probably three times longer, the single-player campaign is really funny and well designed. You will feel like a genius after solving many of the test chambers. The only difference between this game andAfter seeing so many bad reviews lowering Portal 2's score, I felt compelled to write one review myself. In a nutshell, Portal 2 is a great game, definitely better than the original. It is probably three times longer, the single-player campaign is really funny and well designed. You will feel like a genius after solving many of the test chambers. The only difference between this game and the original Portal is that while the original game came out as an unexpected pleasant surprise, this one was preceded by insane levels of hype (particularly after being preceded by the mind boggling Valve ARG). In my opinion, this is the only reason this game is getting somewhat lower scores than the original Portal. There are many people that cannot make an objective review of something after so many hype, they will always feel letdown, no matter how great the game is. Expand
  74. Apr 23, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. Keeps you on your toes, varies its visual style much more than the first Portal, is three times longer (it took me about 9 hours to complete not rushing), has even more easter eggs and lovely hidden things to find, doesn't stop throwing funny dialogue at you, challenges you more, offers more gameplay variety without breaking anything and everything is balanced nearlyAbsolutely wonderful. Keeps you on your toes, varies its visual style much more than the first Portal, is three times longer (it took me about 9 hours to complete not rushing), has even more easter eggs and lovely hidden things to find, doesn't stop throwing funny dialogue at you, challenges you more, offers more gameplay variety without breaking anything and everything is balanced nearly perfectly. I can't think of much at all that is at fault, and I have only played co-op for a little bit so far.

I also started playing through with developer commentary and the opening sequence took them 92 days to complete. This is a labour of love guys, and it shows, it's non-stop hilarity and wonder throughout and has beaten Half-Life 2 to my favourite game of all time. It's gonna be a while until someone beats this in my mind.

There are people complaining? I'm bewildered. Truly.
  75. Apr 25, 2011
    Basically, as amazing as a sequel to Portal possibly could have been. Brilliant puzzles, new mechanics, new characters with new humor, the same old characters with the same old humor. And excellent co-op. There's nothing to criticize.
  76. Apr 21, 2011
    Pay no attention to the bad reviews, as an avid and old gamer on lots of platforms, I have never seen more intellectual and better narrated game. It is so polished that you can't believe it has just released 3 days ago. The atmosphere makes you feel lonely, sad, always monitored and thrilled at the same time. Flawless! 10.0
  77. Apr 21, 2011
    best game i've played all year. the negative reviews must come from idiots who didn't realize they were buying a puzzle game, and morons who don't like to use their brain. for those silly kids, go play COD, us intelligent adults like our gaming entertainment a bit more refined, thank you.
  78. Apr 20, 2011
    This game looks very fun. So fun, in fact, I am considering buying it. The first was awesome, so I would only expect the sequel to be very similar in fashion.
  79. May 17, 2011
    I have to say i was going to be one of those "not worth the money... only 6hours of game play!" types then i was i finally got another to do CoOp If you feel like you have only got half the playtime you are expecting and have not done all of CoOp well to be honest that is only because you played half the game. BUT WAIT I FORGETTING HIDEOUS DLC THAT GIVE UNFAIR ADG... oh what is that it doeI have to say i was going to be one of those "not worth the money... only 6hours of game play!" types then i was i finally got another to do CoOp If you feel like you have only got half the playtime you are expecting and have not done all of CoOp well to be honest that is only because you played half the game. BUT WAIT I FORGETTING HIDEOUS DLC THAT GIVE UNFAIR ADG... oh what is that it doe not give an advantages? When why are people complaining? They want it but do not want to buy it? Tell that to Porsche I would love one of their cars for free... they say no? How about a free hamburger Wendy's... sonic perhaps? Whataburger? oh to bad. Guess you have to pay for things that cost money... who knew. Expand
  80. Apr 23, 2011
    Extremely entertaining game. It's fun from start to finish. The voice acting is as good as it gets, and it's laugh out loud funny. It's longer than the first game, but still not a really long game for just the single player. The puzzles are also not incredibly difficult. Some games are longer. Some games are harder. Yet you will have a tough time finding a game more enjoyable thanExtremely entertaining game. It's fun from start to finish. The voice acting is as good as it gets, and it's laugh out loud funny. It's longer than the first game, but still not a really long game for just the single player. The puzzles are also not incredibly difficult. Some games are longer. Some games are harder. Yet you will have a tough time finding a game more enjoyable than Portal 2. Expand
  81. Apr 23, 2011
    I completed the single player mode and it has left me awed in amazement how I have really enjoyed the game so much. You think it's just Portal with more maps? No!! It's more than that ! Portal 2 has brought more refreshing puzzles and an amazing storyline with major twists. Valve really done it again!
  82. Apr 30, 2011
    Portal 2 is an improvement upon the first in every way. Funnier, better graphics, and the puzzles require greater thought to pass, especially when they add gel to the mix. It loses 1 point because I bought the PC version, and I'd have to buy another copy in order for my girlfriend to play co-op with me.
  83. Apr 25, 2011
    this is a review of portal 2. portal 2 is amazing, it is a very very very very very good game and the only thing i want to do is to give this game 10 points because there are many strange people out there that are rating the game down and portal 2 is much better than 8.2. i don't understand people hating this title.
  84. Apr 21, 2011
    If you enjoyed Portal, you will enjoy Portal 2. It's funny, creative, and different. What else can you ask for in a game? I honestly don't know what people are talking about when they whine about "level design" and "art design" being bad. Also, I'm about 4 hours in right now and not near the end, and that's not counting co-op. And for what it's worth, game length isn't everything. You WILLIf you enjoyed Portal, you will enjoy Portal 2. It's funny, creative, and different. What else can you ask for in a game? I honestly don't know what people are talking about when they whine about "level design" and "art design" being bad. Also, I'm about 4 hours in right now and not near the end, and that's not counting co-op. And for what it's worth, game length isn't everything. You WILL play this more than once. If you've been wondering about it, but were dissuaded by these whiny brats on here, worry no more! Just get the game. You will like it. Expand
  85. Apr 22, 2011
    It may take a couple hours to beat (around 7-8 for me), but converted into Valve time, this is equal to about 35-40 hour's worth of other high-rated games.
  86. Apr 22, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, I haven't tried the Co-Op mode yet but the single-player storyline is full of surprises and other things I've never expected before. This game is totally worth buying.
  87. May 17, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good sequel to the first Portal. It offers a lot more content and a bit more cohesive story. You get plenty of witty dialog and jokes, which make up a good part of the game. The puzzles are mostly easy to figure out, and probably only a few at best will stump you a bit if you are truly "thinking in portals." The co-op game is completely separate from the single player andPortal 2 is a good sequel to the first Portal. It offers a lot more content and a bit more cohesive story. You get plenty of witty dialog and jokes, which make up a good part of the game. The puzzles are mostly easy to figure out, and probably only a few at best will stump you a bit if you are truly "thinking in portals." The co-op game is completely separate from the single player and while it's a bit shorter than the sp game, the co-op is worth playing and equally enjoyable. If you enjoyed the first, definitely check out Portal 2, it's worth it. If you weren't impressed with the first one, this won't win you over. Also, Valve will be offering some free content for all platforms in the near future. Plays well on the PC and would definitely *not* consider it a "bad console port," as many like to say. Expand
  88. Jun 17, 2011
    If there is such thing as a perfect sequel, this is it. Truly unbelievable. That's all you need to know. I had to add more to fir the 150 character limit, so I'll just quote GLaDOS. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.
  89. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 was a worthy successor to the first portal. It was longer than the first but maintained the quality and humor of the original. The new puzzle pieces were interesting and fit in with the game. My only qualm is the lack of advanced chambers, but Coop, which is also a blast, makes up for that.
  90. Apr 21, 2011
    The BEST ending I've ever experienced in a video game. Great character development, and though the story lagged a little in the middle, I still loved it _to death_. About the 0 scores: haters gonna hate. DLC is completely cosmetic, it's not like it improves your experience at all. And it's not a 4-hour campaign, I finished it in 9.5 hours. Open Steam now and click 'Buy' if you haven'tThe BEST ending I've ever experienced in a video game. Great character development, and though the story lagged a little in the middle, I still loved it _to death_. About the 0 scores: haters gonna hate. DLC is completely cosmetic, it's not like it improves your experience at all. And it's not a 4-hour campaign, I finished it in 9.5 hours. Open Steam now and click 'Buy' if you haven't already. There's a good chance you won't regret it. ;-) Expand
  91. Apr 22, 2011
    The game is great from pretty much every point of view, and compared to the 1st Portal it has a much better length, especially if we include the co-op mode as well. The only problem is that despite it being longer than the 1st Portal it still left me wanting more.

Hopefully that will be compensated with user maps and DLC. Mean wile 9/10.
  92. Apr 24, 2011
    This one of the best games I've played in a very long time. Not only is it loads of fun, but it's interesting, funny and just a blast over all. I can't find one bad thing to say about this game other than it's very confusing at first but you get used to the entire portal system.
  93. Apr 20, 2011
    Totally polished, full of brilliant mechanics, perfectly paced, and featuring stellar writing, voice acting and Science! Not to mention a brilliant co-op campaign and an exclusive track from The National. What more do you need in a game? Sure it's not a 40 hour epic, but it's an 8-10 hour single player experience, because that's how long it runs, no matter what people say, plus aTotally polished, full of brilliant mechanics, perfectly paced, and featuring stellar writing, voice acting and Science! Not to mention a brilliant co-op campaign and an exclusive track from The National. What more do you need in a game? Sure it's not a 40 hour epic, but it's an 8-10 hour single player experience, because that's how long it runs, no matter what people say, plus a challenging and entertaining co-op mode and the certainty of user created maps in the future (this is the Source engine after all, people are going to mod in new levels), which makes it well worth the triple-A pricetag. As for the DLC, there *is* no DLC, at least not in the usual sense of the term. There's a shop where, if you are foolish enough, you can pay money for cosmetic additions to your co-op avatars, and if you feel that something like that would ruin the game for you, then I truly feel sorry for you because you will miss out on the fantastic experience this game has to offer. Ignore the whiners who are ticked off because they futilely bought the Potato Sack to get this game to come out on the weekend (they really shouldn't be complaining: the Sack was a fantastic deal on a bunch of great indie games) and judge the game on its true merits, which are top notch. Expand
  94. Apr 20, 2011
    If I had to summarize in a few words Portal 2 would be "masterpiece, " "splendid, " "brilliant ". And yet, there are so many other superlatives that could describe us as VALVe here proves his genius once again. In its mechanisms of gameplay as its level design and writing, Portal 2 is simply brilliant, intelligent and incredibly funny, as in his solo in his campaign co-op campaign.If I had to summarize in a few words Portal 2 would be "masterpiece, " "splendid, " "brilliant ". And yet, there are so many other superlatives that could describe us as VALVe here proves his genius once again. In its mechanisms of gameplay as its level design and writing, Portal 2 is simply brilliant, intelligent and incredibly funny, as in his solo in his campaign co-op campaign.

Logically THE game of the year to own and even the decade.
  95. Apr 20, 2011
    I can confidently say that this is the best portal game to date... seriously.
    Having just finished the single-player (~6 hours, found hardly any hidden easter eggs), I can say there is the right mix of just about everything in this game. Humour, story, visuals, puzzles, difficulty, length... all just right. I can't wait to start the co-op.
    And for those whingeing few: the "day 1 DLC"
    I can confidently say that this is the best portal game to date... seriously.
    And for those whingeing few: the "day 1 DLC" consists of a bunch of useless skins and whatnot for your co-op character. This game ships complete. Any "DLC" is completely unnecessary and thus you must rely on your self-restraint to not buy anything. Just like the potato sack. No one forced you to buy it. Personally, I had already bought the potato sack, before the portal 2 ARG started. They are a bunch of awesome indie games and I was more happy to shell out the $38 (which is only $2.90 per game for chrissake!). If you are unhappy with the results of the ARG, you have no-one to blame but yourself. In other words, suck it up.
  96. Apr 20, 2011
    I love Portal and Portal 2 is even better. I canâ
  97. Apr 20, 2011
    10 out of 10, all of the complaints I've seen are ridiculous! This was honestly better than I thought it would be. So many of the complaints are about these other games that you had the option of buying, which I didn't, and things like long load times, which I also didn't have... don't blame Valve that you couldn't be bothered buying a functional computer..
  98. Apr 20, 2011
    BEST GAME EVER !!

Seriously, most of the negative "comments" are just "trolls". This game is amazing, innovative to the core, funny as, and definitely not some console port. Sure it may not be the most challenging game, given it's nature as being a puzzle game, if valve had made the game too hard most casual players would probably give up from frustration and annoyance, it is balance
    BEST GAME EVER !!

Seriously, most of the negative "comments" are just "trolls".

This game is amazing, innovative to the core, funny as, and definitely not some console port. Sure it may not be the most challenging game, given it's nature as being a puzzle game, if valve had made the game too hard most casual players would probably give up from frustration and annoyance, it is balance between being easy and hard.

Voice acting is this game is simply outstanding, the gameplay has turned a small concept into a full out game, and the story is complete. This game is a must have for any gamer.
  99. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is brilliant. Its puzzles remain world-class, its sense of humor poignant and sharp, and it's beautiful to behold. It is a rather short game, but I would prefer a short experience that exceeded my expectations than a long, drawn-out, dull one. And replay value lives on as I will, most certainly, complete the game several times.

And this is before I've even started the

And this is before I've even started the co-operative play.

Bottom line: Buy it. A great title by a great company!
  100. Apr 20, 2011
    The co-op campaign is awesome, but a bit short. Great story and dialog. Builds on the creepiness and humor of the original. Will likely be playing this one again and again.
  101. Apr 20, 2011
    i can't help but think those who voted this game down simply did so because they either a) couldn't get through the game because the puzzles were too difficult and felt the need to punish valve for their own incompetence b) automatically dislike anything the general public likes because they view their own opinion as 'unique' only if it conflicts with everyone else, or c) are just plaini can't help but think those who voted this game down simply did so because they either a) couldn't get through the game because the puzzles were too difficult and felt the need to punish valve for their own incompetence b) automatically dislike anything the general public likes because they view their own opinion as 'unique' only if it conflicts with everyone else, or c) are just plain crazy.

this game was a BLAST. the puzzles were challenging, yet fun and rewarding. the story line was engrossing and entertaining. the humor was sadistic and ever-present, and the co-op made me LAUGH TILL I CRIED at the joy of sending teammates to their untimely deaths at the hands of the game's deadly environs. was it short? a bit, but this game was an experience worthy of valve's reputation for quality, and definitely worth the $50. if you have the patience and mental faculties to wrap your mind around game play mechanics not found in any other game to solve some very interesting and challenging puzzles, and you just love good games, buy this one. if you don't like it, refer to my first statement.

1. Oct 20, 2011