8.7

1. Apr 9, 2014
    Just when you think Portal couldn't get any better, Portal 2 comes out. Much longer in length, even better puzzles, hilariously funny scripting & voice acting (especially "Cave Johnson" & Glados). Some negative reviews here have some fair points (very high prices for purely cosmetic DLC), but much of it is simply "I don't like puzzles", which is pretty silly. I don't like sports games but instead of leaving negative reviews for them, I simply don't buy what I know in advance I don't like!

Likewise, "It's too much like the original" is a GOOD thing these days when some other developers have a tendency to repeatedly destroy franchises with dumbed-down "cinematic" tat (Thief 4 anyone?)... Overall I'll give the game a 9 simply because there were one or two crashes-to-desktop on mine. It would have gotten a 10 without them.
  2. Apr 1, 2014
    Portal 2 took the bones of its original and added some suprisingly tasty meat to it. An enjoyable combination of lateral thinking taking your fps skills for a ride with excellent hardware scalability. Got a free steam copy with my ps3 version and the co-operative play is worth going through (loved that split screen option). Highly recommend.
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    When I first saw gameplay videos I thought it's a silly game. But when I played it I realised how silly I am. That's smart entertainment. When you finish a hard level without help tell me how do you feel. Especially after the congratulations.
  4. Mar 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "As of March 24th, 2014, there are 4186 positive reviews and only 318 negative ones. I punch those numbers into my calculator, and it makes a happy face".

Seriously though, I think we just need to hand out some information to the unhappy few who claim to have "wasted" their money on this game. Here are some facts that are to be considered:

-The DLC is optional. You don't need to have it, because, at best, it gives you a bunch of festive clothes for your character to wear, none of which you will see or care about during the course of the game.
    -I see many folks here complaining that these puzzles are too easy. It's a game, and games are not meant to bash your head inside out. There are no need for these puzzles to be particularly hard. I want to come back from work or school and have a small thing for my mind to chew on, not a full meal.
    -Some critics, in fact, are going so far as to complain that this is not a game, and that they prefer "real" games. And no, I am not going to criticize that. Please go back to your precious Call of Duty and leave my Portal 2 alone.

Other than that, I respect your opinions. Truly.

Overall, Portal 2 is a nice game, with rather humorous (though I would not call it witty) dialogue and a lot of fun puzzles to solve. At worst, it can be a pleasant little game of "I Spy" for a valid surface to put your portal on.

I particularly found the co-op mode intriguing. Sometimes I would find an intelligent partner, and we would storm through the tests together. Others were rather dim-witted, and I was forced to kill them in some way to show my displeasure.

10 out of 10 for this game. And no, it is not a score that I give out all the time.
  5. Mar 16, 2014
    One of the best games ever created. It is unlike anything you've played before (unless you've played Portal 1). This is a unique game that really puts your brain to work with it's puzzle-type stages. The story is fantastic and hilarious. This is Valves best game IMO. It also has endless replay value due to Steam Workshop.
  6. Mar 15, 2014
    This game is simply brilliant. I usually never manage to finish my games but there's something about this one that keeps you coming back for more. The best part for me is the sense of accomplishment you get from solving a puzzle you've been stuck on for a while! The voice acting is of very high quality and the jokes are funny. No problems with the controls and the levels are very well designed and never repetitive. Get it now. Expand
  7. Mar 13, 2014
    This game is just incredible. It's so unique. When you play it for the first time you are blown away by how unique and how cool the game is. The graphics also suit the game very well. If you have a friend to play this with it's double the fun, as you can do co-op on all the modes.

I had so much fun playing through the campaign with my friend, but most of my hours have been spent with my
    friend playing and building our own custom maps. The fact you can play other player created maps adds a lot of longevity to the game. It's the best value game I have ever bought.

If you're someone who doesn't like puzzle games then maybe this isn't for you, but otherwise it's the best money you'll ever spend on a game.
  8. Mar 7, 2014
    Simply amazing! Keeps you on edge to an extreme extend. Defiantly a game worth getting, hard, challenging, but not to the point where you begin to bash your keyboard. Overall a very smart well done game.
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. awesome the game has quality and puzzles that took me the whole day to finish and I'm gonna wait for the next one because I'm not even done with co-op and single player all together was a week and I don't get the bad reviews they just didn't pay attention enough to respect the game Expand
  10. Mar 2, 2014
    I thought I would never like a game without bang bang, gore, violence and monsters; the game is a perfect thriller / puzzle and never uses the cliches you are tired to see in this brave new world...
  11. Mar 1, 2014
    Portal 2 is a lot larger than the first one. It also has a Coop mode (no challenge mode) and the puzzles are harder than in Portal. I really like how the characters change, but the atmosphere is worse than in the first game.
  12. Ape
    Feb 26, 2014
    Why would you not have this game already? Go in steam and get this and the original for about $20, and have fun. The great hing about the sequel however is it has an entirely separate co-op campaign you can play on the couch or online.
  13. Feb 26, 2014
    Very fun and engaging....right up until you fall into the "wasteland basement". Not spoiling anything, but the game goes on to long which is an unusual complaint from me. I was enthralled and engaged, then I was ... kinda bored? Still a great game and worthy of the PORTAL name.
  14. Feb 21, 2014
    Had a blast playing Portal 2. I would have scored it a 9-10 if I felt the urge to replay the game. Extremely fun on the first time through the campaign though. I had the exact same experience as in Portal 1. Great game, but my top notch scores are reserved for those games that keep me coming back for more.
  15. Feb 19, 2014
    Potral 2 is the best strategy game i have ever played. Even thou theres no different endings you'll still want to play it again. Portal 2 has allot of game mechanics that just make the game awesome. You play as a test subject to take down the robot GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System) and restore aperture science labs with the help of a core named wheatly but instead of killing GLaDOS wheatly get control of aperture science labs and goes crazy puts GLaDOS in a potato and now your off to take down wheatly. this game gets a 9/10 Expand
  16. Feb 14, 2014
    To be put simply: This is one of the greatest puzzle games i have ever played, the mechanics are beautiful and the story is told perfectly. Huge improvement over the 1st.
  17. Feb 11, 2014
    I only would like to know why is this game a perfect game. wow . A robot jumping in holes . A laberinty square game. i didnt finish it . Why is the game of the year ? maybe the money ? Who knows? I prefer tetrix
  18. Jan 31, 2014
    An absolute gem of a game, a tense, puzzle driven game that is nonetheless absolutely hilarious. I sound myself repeating some of the lines to my wife, who found them funny even though she had no idea what game it was.

Utterly brilliant, it's games like these that put Valve at the top of the PC gaming pyramid.
  19. Jan 30, 2014
    A superb game. Comedy levels are high and game play is as compelling as it is addictive. Even the irritating voice of Stephen Merchant is loveable and well written here and without him the game would of lost a step. Superb from start to finish!
  20. Jan 25, 2014
    This game is great! It has humor, a good storyline, co-op multiplayer, and most importantly excellent puzzles!! And these are all hard things to put in a puzzle game already, nonetheless doing it well (except for puzzles, duh). This is by far the best game I've ever played (except maybe Minecraft...)
  21. Jan 24, 2014
    Just great. I cant say nothing more, you must try it. Game world and plot forces you to beat game in one night. You can not resist - your butt will stuck to chair until final second of credits.
  22. Jan 22, 2014
    Portal 2:

+Best Storyline+
    +Best Characters+ (Wheatley is Badass!)
    +Best Level Design+
    +Best Voice Acting+
    +Best Soundtracks+

Portal 2 Is the Best puzzle game!
  23. Jan 21, 2014
    Incredible! One of the most perfect games ever! I've played it 4 times and I just have to say that the history is awesome and Valve knows how to make a good game. 10/10
  24. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    Portal 2 easily goes in any "top games of all times" list. Easily.
    Looks still look current (it's out a few years already), the sense of scale, the actual idea of portals, solving the levels and still taking part in an evolving story while learning things about the Valve universe. Fantastic.
    Just fantastic. Hope they make Portal 3 some day. Although knowing how they work with sequels...
    It might be for my kid. Expand
  25. Jan 17, 2014
    Perhaps the best puzzler of all time, Portal 2 is a must-play. This game is challenging, has an enthralling story, and shows aspects of humor that just add that little bit of extra greatness. Portal 2 deserves the spot of Game of the Year 2011, as many believe.
  26. Jan 5, 2014
    This is probably best puzzle game ever!! Each puzzle is really well designed which give game unique experience. As Valve started to release really bad titles like L4D didn't expect much from them anymore. I'm glad I was wrong. Portal 2 is pure awesomeness in bot singleplayer and coop modes!
  27. Jan 4, 2014
    A brilliant puzzle game! I remember playing it when it first came out. Portal 2 has both a good singleplayer and a great CO-OP campaign. There's a lot of fun dialogues and cut-scenes. The puzzles are fairly challenging and the game is in overall very entertaining.
  28. Jan 3, 2014
    Portal 2 is a puzzle game. But it isn't like any other puzzle game. It is a first person game, where you have a portal gun. But don't get me wrong it is NOT a first person shooter. You have to pass levels by shooting portals and getting to the end of the chamber. There is an awesome story, where you have to get out of this insane asylum place. This one of my favorite games. I would suggest this to anyone! Expand
  29. Jan 2, 2014
    Best game ever! The game has great graphics with shadows and lighting. The old Aperture area is just massive with metal rails and huge structures. You even get to hear Cave Johnson.
  30. Jan 1, 2014
    Portal 2 might lack the feeling of desolation and loneliness felt in the eerie Aperture labs in its predecessor, instead taking a much more family-friendly orientation. This doesn't make the game any less fun, however; the clever and often hilarious writing, mind-bending puzzles and superb voice acting from the first one are back and wholly expanded, together with an excellent co-op course and an easy to use level editor. Portal 2 is one of the best games of 2011, if not the outright best. Expand
  31. Dec 29, 2013
    Portal 2 is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Though some levels are challenging, everything is perfect, with the perfect amount of humor but still plenty of tension. The characters are perfect and the storyline is brilliantly plotted. Everyone should own this game no matter what genre you prefer. Only about 10 hours of playing time for the story but plenty more in the co-op mode. Amazing game, must have. Expand
  32. Dec 18, 2013
    Portal 2 contains fun campaign with fluent story telling progress and mind bugging puzzles, Highly repayable because there are millions of custom chambers and you can even create your own! You should buy this game, totally.
  33. Dec 11, 2013
    This is probably my all-time favorite game. Interesting story and fun to play. I often got stuck in the same level for quite a while, which got a little annoying.
    If you're going to play this game, play Portal 1 first. It will make the experience much more interesting and enjoyable.
  34. Dec 11, 2013
    Had a great time playing this. Multiplayer was flawless and the Steam workshop provides a seemingly endless supply awesome new puzzles. The editor is intuitive and makes building your own chambers simple and straight forward. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys games that require a bit of thinking.
  35. Dec 8, 2013
    Portal 2 is a fun, engaging and truly wonderful experience. The puzzles were well-adjusted on all parameters and so was the soft and humble narrating. Compared to an exciting novel or an alluring painting, Portal 2 contains the best of both and is everything an artful and sly game should be.
  36. Dec 3, 2013
    portal 2... what can i say guys. this game is one of the best games out there and its so worth the price.
    i would recommend you to buy it and when you are done you will see what i mean. this game deserves a place in your library. get it now!
  37. Dec 1, 2013
    After the great game that was Portal, Portal 2 takes the original and makes it better in almost every possible way. The single player game is much longer now, there are more challenging puzzles, and there are different types of environments. In addition to Glados, Portal 2 introduces some new characters, the most significant being Wheatley and to say the least he is annoyingly funny. Since its release, Valve have also provided a level editor as a free download so that you can make your own levels and share them on the Steam Workshop to share with others. Portal 2 is also great for multiplayer as you and a friend can play the co-op campaign and this provides some great challenges as you need to work together to solve the puzzles and reach the exit. If you haven't picked up Portal 2 yet, get it. Get your friends to pick it up too so then you can play the co-op campaign as well! Expand
  38. Nov 28, 2013
    Portal 2 is in one word Amazing.
    A game full of superb level designs, puzzles that will open your mind the more you try escape and win them.
    Fantastic interactive story that will make you feel like you're a part of it, so interesting that you'll end playing 4 hours, feeling like only 10 minutes passed.
    The game gives you limited options, but it doesn't push you to do as it scripted
    which makes it feel like everything you do happens because you did it and not because that's what the game wants you to do.
    A story full of plot twists, make you wonder 24/7 what's next?
    Graphics that build the feeling of the environment, how old it is, what happened here etc.
    There is no puzzle game that is sophisticated as Portal 2, nor has a story like it.
    The amazing thing about this game is how the story built around a game that in it's core a puzzle game.
    I'm not even a fan of Portal 2's genre, but without a second though I can say it's one of my favorite games if not the.

9.1/10 Worth every penny and more. The reason I won't give it a full score is because Like I said it is still a limited action game with a story you can't affect and puzzles with one solution.
    Fantastic story, Amazing puzzles, Superb level design, Great graphics.
  39. Nov 26, 2013
    The Only Reason that I gave this game 9 out of 10 is because it sets the bar too high for other games ...
    Graphics Are good soundtracks are awesome and there is that feeling in the game the feeling that you are alone!
    Hope they make more games like this
  40. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is a true work of art. The funny and mischievous characters, the awesome gameplay mechanics, and clever storyline add up to the best game ever made for PC to date.
  41. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

42. Nov 17, 2013
    If you love creative games, you must play portal. I love Valve so much. It is an amazing sequel. Score rating Half Life 2 (10) Portal 2 (10) Left 4 Dead 2 (9) Team Fortress 2 (8).
  43. Nov 16, 2013
    Wow, what an amazing game. And I thought that no sequel could surpass the first game. Valve really took what they had and mastered it to perfection. Portal 2 is extremely funny thanks to its great sarcastic humour, the puzzles are as always lots of fun and quite challenging (not challenging enough to annoy you and take forever to solve) and now there is even a co-op option, so one can experience this awesome game with a buddy. The player made levels are also a nice touch, providing basically unlimited content. If I were to compare this to the first Portal, the gameplay pretty much stayed the same, there are just a couple new gadgets to work with while solving puzzles. The story is now much longer though, so you're unlikely to finish it in one sitting. Graphics have also improved quite a bit, even though I think that it's running on the same engine.

If you're not sure whether you should buy this, stop thinking and just do it, there is a 99% change that you will enjoy this more than whatever else you were planning on getting instead, I also recommend playing the first thing beforehand, if you haven't already done so, it should be no more than a couple euro on steam. Overall I'd give this game a 9, but a perfect score for GLaDOS.
  44. Nov 15, 2013
    This game is great, but it does drag on a bit. At least in one-player mode. I must admit that I haven't played multiplayer, so I'm giving this game the benefit of the doubt. If i end up playing multi-player and it is fantastic and amazing, I'll come back and give it a '10'
  45. Nov 14, 2013
    Portal 2 is a game that impresses with it's awesome puzzles and outstanding narrative. Impressively, even showing it's scale by the later parts of the single-player. Using the portal gun, the variations are almost endless, with the innovative mechanics being added.
    The single-player is challenging, without being frustrating. And it always stays interesting with the creative comments of
    the characters throughout the game which are hilarious. About the puzzles, they're extremely satisfying. It starts with the same test chambers of the original Portal, but progresses with brand new puzzles to solve, using the different mechanics.
    The co-op is revolutionary, and often difficult (again, without being frustrating). It requires strong teamwork, where the puzzles are sophisticated with different elements and mechanics. Four portals are needed to finish the tests, and it can become rather complicated. But not frustrating. To make the situation simplier, there's some helpful tools to tell your partner where to place a portal, what to activate etc. Also some goofy dances are presented.
    Creating tests became time-consuming to me, because I was experimenting with the different tools to make an innovative puzzle where other people will play. It's rewarding to see a simple system for making your own puzzles and, also, for playing others' creations.
    Narrative wise, it's just perfect. There's always an unexpected twist coming, which why this narrative succeeds. It also nails with the amazing characters who always have another clever quote to say. And the ending made me cry. About co-op's story, it's mostly fine with clever comments from GLaDOS.
    Visually, it isn't mind-blowing, but it is quite solid. It's design is flawless, and it luckily succeeds to create atmosphere. It uses an old engine, but that engine is still impressive for making good-looking games.
    The soundtrack impresses, but the voice acting is the most impressive thing about the audio. It's totally fantastic.
    Portal 2 is a work of art, and another masterpiece from the masterminds of Valve. (10.00)
  46. Nov 13, 2013
    Same as AntKiller1: Best game that Valve made after Half Life! Singleplayer is more than satisfying, it's brilliant! Ending almost made me cry and I love credits :D Coop is amazingly executed, actually, it has best Co Op I've ever seen! Graphics are simply amazing! Lighting engine does the job excellent and textures are beautiful. It has so much player created maps, so you will NEVER run out of things to do!

I totally agree you MUST buy this game!
  47. Nov 11, 2013
    What a fantastic sequel. It takes everything you liked from the first game, makes it better, and then throws in a lot more content. All without managing to ruin the spirit of the original. There's finally something to look at instead of the same dull test chamber. The story is longer and more complex, filling in a lot of the blanks from the previous game. Plus, the co-op mode is just as good, if not better, than the single player. Expand
  48. Nov 10, 2013
    I recommend you actually play this. Even though I bought this first, (I don't have Portal 1) it is worth it. I bought it when it was $49.99, and was worth the money. This has more realistic graphics, and shaders. This game is honestly worth money. If you have only played portal 1, GET PORTAL 2. It is funny, and has warning signs saying stuff like, "In case of implosion, look directly at implosion." It has an interesting story, and GLaDOS isn't the enemy until Chapter 6 or 7. I'm not sure. But three words, GET. THIS. NOW.

PS: The most stupid guy here is Sprogger
  49. Nov 10, 2013
    Portal was released by Valve in 2007. It was a weird game with only 3 hours of gameplay and left fans scratching their heads on what the hell they just played. Although it was short and had a simple story (or what we thought was simple), it was very fun. Portal 2 however, brings back what we loved about the predecessor and much, much, much more.

The main story is Chell and her new
    friend Wheatley trying to escape from Aperture Laboratories and to avoid spoilers that is as far as I will go. The backstory is much darker, however, but you will have to find that out yourself. All I will tell you is that it told us that the first Portal game had a much larger story. Back to the main game. The characters aren't forgettable and the story is amazing and is the perfect length of about 7 hours and all the new features are fun as hell.

The atmosphere of this game is the best I think I've ever seen. It makes me want to explore Aperture for myself with the amazing scenery and detail put into pretty much everything.

And even after the games singleplayer is done you can play the co-op story with friends or download custom maps.

There is absolutely nothing I dislike about this game, its one of my favourite games ever.
  50. Nov 8, 2013
    Portal 2 is a true masterpiece.The Science-Fiction atmosphere and the logical puzzles are two ingredients that makes the game greater than everything...absolutely awesome.I honestly can say that Portal 2 is the best Valve game.I really like it and I recommend it
  51. Nov 7, 2013
    The game is amazing, don't listen to all of the negative reviews. How long it takes to beat the game, sometimes depends on how well you do with puzzles. All of the negative reviews are saying bad graphics,
    -_-. Change the video settings. Hate the voices, then dont play a game with robots in it. All of the negative reviews are coming from people who dont like puzzle games, or just want to
    pick a fight with a portal fan. Expand
  52. Nov 5, 2013
    This was a great sequel to an already amazing game. The problem I had with this game was the lack of replay value. Within 2 days I had already beat the single player, co-op, and had over 90% of the achievements.
  53. Oct 31, 2013
    11/10. They took a 10/10 game (Portal) and made it better.

The co-op missions are awesome and would make it worth buying the game even if they didn't improve the single player mode.
  54. Oct 29, 2013
    An absolutely brilliant game with a superb story and puzzles that will keep you on it for hours. I completed it on 2 sittings after buying it recently on steam. I have to say it is one of the greatest games that you will play. Well done Valve
  55. Oct 25, 2013
    Once upon a time there were two Portal 2 players. One of them was there mostly for the story and all the complexity behind the obvious facts. The other player, who doesn't appreciate a good drama, bought Portal 2 for the puzzles, expecting to find some hardcore obstacles to his mind, just like he did in Portal. The first player reviewed the game as absolutely fantastic, while the other one reviewed it as a bad/average game, for it is too easy compared with its predecessor; however, the second player didn't think about how much he learned to work things out with portals on the first version of the game and how that knowledge may have eased his play-through on the second one.
    Some people are rating this game so bad because they found it easy... When I was playing Portal 1 the final puzzles were pretty easy too, because I got used with the whole portals concept. When I played Portal 2 I also found it somehow easy, but I talked to some people who played it for curiosity, even though they had not played the prequel, and guess what? They found it very hard.
    Stop saying the game is bad because you finished it fast. If you are doing so you probably did not even understand the story and all its details.
  56. Oct 22, 2013
    This game is amazing! It took everything that the original portal did right and improved greatly upon it.
    The gameplay is better, the characters are more funny, adn the story is amazing!!!
  57. Oct 21, 2013
    The perfect sequel to the original Portal game. Interactions with Wheatley and Glados really brings in an appropriate atmosphere. Surprisingly, the game is still running on Valve's Source engine however the graphics are much improved and efficient. Going through the developer's commentary, you'll realize a lot of though has been put into this game. Valve please count to 3.
  58. Oct 15, 2013
    A novelty. It's an amazing sequel, an outstanding production made by Valve. The portal concept still continues to appeal me after all this time, and the puzzles are way more complex and fun than the first game, which could take an hour to complete if you had played it already. This time, this game is on average a 6 8 hour game the first you play it, which is indeed expect-able for a typical Valve game, although the game can be 4 hours if you're skilled. The graphics, engine, concept, characters, voices... they're all amazing! Oh, and did I mention there's a co-op storyline? And with the recent updates Valve has made, like customly made Portal 2 maps, the fun never ends, with dozens and dozens of community-made maps that will keep you portaling for hours! This game is definitely worth the 20 bucks, and even the 50 bucks it once was. (Well, now it is with the community-made maps!) Expand
  59. Oct 10, 2013
    Awesome game, just like the first one! The campaign is really immersive and the co-op is very fun to play with a friend. The achievements are very challenging.
  60. Oct 6, 2013
    When I first started this game I thought it was way too similar to the first one. But until you've completed it, you ain't seen nothing. New levels, gameplay elements, a new character and the actual game is quite long. To do the original Portal without cheating (looking up solutions) it took about 4 hours or less but this is 9 hours. There's AT LEAST twice, if not quadrupple the content in terms of the length, so however long it took you to complete portal 1 in first try just triple it. From start to end, the game never fails to keep you entertained and laughing all the way. Very funny humour, easy to understand, excellent voice acting. Really, the only criticism I have of this game is the highly outdated graphics, but considering it's still using the Source engine it's not bad if you think of the graphics being 2004 standard. Want to know the greatest thing? The challenge mode no longer has least steps! YES!!!! No more stupid glitching. It's just least time and least portals. Considering the number of levels in this game, and the co-op there's easily enough content here to last even the most logical gamer a fair while. A must play if you've not played the original. It's better in every possible way. I don't think this game could have done more in any area. Gameplay objects such as bridges, propulsion gels and excursion funnels as well as drastic improvements in story-telling, level design, characters and overall length make this a true sequel. What's more, the co-op challenges are much more satisfying and fun than the campaign ones because of their witty humour and difficult but not frustrating (i.e. you can finish without a guide) level design. The ability to play cross-platform with PS3 players and official split-screen support make this game even more special. Add in the very intuitive level editor and community levels and you've got a complete package. Portal 2 is one of those games that defines the medium. It is educational, fun, funny and suitable for people of all ages and genders. There really is nothing like it. It's the only game which EVERYBODY should play due to its accessibility, quality and concept. Expand
  61. Sep 29, 2013
    (This review is for the single player game only) For those not familiar, Portal and Portal II are puzzle games that use the same viewpoint and controls of a first-person-shooter. Not quite as groundbreaking as the first Portal, but miles ahead in terms of graphics and gameplay. A bunch of new gameplay mechanics were added, and the mood and graphics were enhanced compared to the first Portal. The game seemed longer, and the humor was great. The comic relief character Wheatley played by Stephen Merchant was excellent. There are parts of the game that are very dark and foreboding, parts that are ridiculous and zany, and parts that are just plain weird. This is a must-play game for anyone that likes puzzles, a true classic game. Expand
  62. Sep 29, 2013
    Fundamentally more or less the same experience as the first game added stuff (co-op mode), the puzzles are lucid, compelling, and most importantly: fun. Any sense of repetition is negated by the witty, well-written dialogue.
  63. Sep 24, 2013
    The reason that Portal 2 is a perfect game is obvious: there's nothing wrong with it. No obvious glitches, VERY few trivial problems (Graphics aren't PERFECT, but are great, nonetheless), and excel in every way a game should excel in. Story is fantastic, acting and dialogue is a unique highlight, the game has a very fitting atmosphere, and the puzzles never get frustratingly hard, but require you to put your new knowledge to the test. Portal 2 is truly a grand successor to the first Portal, and as well as all puzzle games. Expand
  64. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I finished this game i just could only think on GLADos, Chell and Cave Johnson for a whole week. The atmosphere is incredible. Because it isn´t the typical game with it´s story it´s even more VALVE took all the great ideas of portal and the great background story of HL and mixed them and create something new and unique. Expand
  65. Sep 5, 2013
    SPROGGER you're an idiot. Nothing to add. What a retarded. I don't understand useless idiots like you, stop bashing great game you retarded. I'm glad that you aren't a professional reviewer because you don't have the intelligence.
  66. Sep 1, 2013
    While the story and puzzles are good the main success's was the co-op and humor the story is better and the new characters those robots in co-op and Wheatly are excellent characters and Wheatly's voice acting is the best ever that guy deserves a award well okay maybe Vaas actor Michael Mando is better but still this is a really good game
  67. Aug 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely wonderful game, which is as unique as it is brilliant. The story line invites the player to participate, from start to finish, while also offering great entertainment. The puzzles may have you waking from your sleep, and saying I've got it" as they are clever but not unsolvable. A community of puzzle builders will keep your mind working as long as it is willing. Expand
  68. Aug 31, 2013
    Wow, a great game. Although it wasn't quite like Portal, I still loved it. Portal was quite dark and sometimes creepy. But Portal 2 was mostly humorous, which wasn't bad either! Overall I would easily recommend this game to anyone!
  69. Aug 30, 2013
    The gameplay is better than the first game because they added some new elements to the game. But the best thing from this game is the story. You'll be shocked when you know the true relationship between Chell and GLaDOS.
  70. Aug 24, 2013
    It's good. Buy it. What are you waiting for? But...

The game is good. No i'm not kidding it's good. But it's no Portal 1.

Here's the thing about Portal 1, it was a self contained little experiment that just exploded with popularity for it's clever writing, nice puzzles, and completely new idea. But now there's another Portal, Portal 2. It's just not the same. Portal was a side
    project, and now it's a giant project with much more attention given. But that's the thing, it lost some charm.

Not to say there isn't any.
    The writing is peer perfection here, with Ellen pulling off an amazing performance as the robot GLAdos and Stephen Merchant stunning a captive audience with his character, Wheatley, making the old and new a one-two punch that just feels astounding. Stephen Merchant plays Wheatley just perfectly, having an excuse to show emotion in a robot by having him as a core of GLAdos that had 'escaped' in a sense.

Portal 2 does in fact add something new, as apposed to most cookie cutter sequels these days: Coop puzzling. Coop is amazing and with four portals to play with you and a friend will need to work together to make your way through the chambers. I had a ton of fun playing these levels with a friend and it was a blast.

Speaking of maps, if you buy the game for the PC you will have access to the steam workshop and all of the mods and maps that the community has to offer. And there are a lot.
    But here's the kicker, you won't need to know the Hammer editor like most source games require for making levels! Portal 2 comes with an editor that's EXTREMELY user friendly, and this allows quite a bit of clean levels. The only downside is there are quite a few restrictions, but if you feel you want to get into advance level making, I suggest you look into tutorials concerning the Hammer editor.

So, did you like Portal 1? Then you've probably already bought this game, but hey, if you're on the fence or think it /may/ be your thing, go and buy this, you won't regret it.
  71. Aug 22, 2013
    I am a totally biased fangirl and if i think of one game deserving the title "masterpiece", "portal 2" is the first one coming to my mind.

I love this game so much, that my wedding ring is one part of a portal-ring. This game is as close to perfection as a game can be for my personal taste. I loved portal 1 and portal 2 gave me more of this but enough new things to get me all over
    excited AND let me experience the love for this game with other people without the co-op feeling weirdly constructed.
    The writing is off the chart well. It had me in tears also thanks to the superb voice acting. I felt challenged by the puzzles, entertained by the story, intrigued by the settings. At a game like this i am always surprised that while playing it the immersion does not break, because I never really can do something that "breaks" a puzzle. Many, many games are so full of glitches and unintended short cuts, that this is worth noting.
    Thank you for releasing a complete game. Well constructed, a worthy successor to an insanely popular game where so many things could have gone wrong. Thank you thank you thank you.
  72. Aug 18, 2013
    I'm not a big Valve fan, but Portal 2 is much better and than their other games. You have to go trough the first set of puzzles, then the story takes a big turn. The writing is smart, the gameplay feels very polished. The environments are mindblowing. And finally, it has a decent ending!
  73. Aug 16, 2013
    this game is just the best game you will ever play...had to get this game across multiple platforms. best game play and best story line, u cant go wrong with it.
  74. Aug 15, 2013
    This game is epic to a degree that astonish me. Story is great. Characters are great. Art, music, gameplay, everything about this game it's pure epicness poured into a orange gel ready for you to test with. The only little flaw that I can see it's the lack of some of the timing aspects in puzzles that in the first episode were present, and the fact that sometimes the solution to puzzles it's too much evident because you can only put the portal on the right spot. Beside that, I loved every bit of it, and I'm kind of sad because I know that I'm likely not going to play anything this good for a long time. Expand
  75. Aug 15, 2013
    Taking a game like Portal, which story was bland and basic because of how Valve was trying something new, and giving it such a huge amount of story and character development is outstanding. I would not expect anything less from Valve.

Portal thrusts you into the future version of aperture as you desperately try and escape from Glados. Plot takes over and crazy stuff happens that you
    should experience for yourself, but its amazing. The puzzles are outstanding and some will leave you thinking for a good 20 minutes as you pick your brain and think of a number of different ways to use portals, cubes, lasers and turrets to your advantage. Once again Valve leaves you with only a portal gun while you try and figure out how to complete boss battles and objectives with nothing but your mind. Genius's had to have made this game, that much thought was put into it.

The Coop part of this is epic as well along with its own story. Great fun to play with a friend if you feel like using 4 portals instead of 2 to solve problems.

I pre-ordered this game like I do every Valve game with high hopes in my mind, somehow this game surpassed my high hopes and made my jaw drop. Truly a great game and you should place it at the top of your, "To Buy List."
  76. Aug 12, 2013
    An excellent sequel to one of my favorite games Thank god it was longer than the first one, those puzzles were too easy. It was probably difficult for some because the mechanics were much more different than many were used to... but again, Portal 1 is so much shorter.

To whoever said the physics were broken: Time to get a new PC, man...
  77. Aug 10, 2013
    The game is absolutely amazing. It has great puzzles, great story and the multiplayer addition makes it just so much better. The puzzles are engaging and require a great deal of teamwork in multiplayer. Definitely a game that is going to take a lot of your free hours.
  78. Aug 9, 2013
    One of my favorite games ever. Valve did make an awesome puzzlegame, which contains action, challenging levels and a great story; not so often founf in this kind a games.

For me clearly a 10/10.
  79. Aug 9, 2013
    This game has a great story, which will keep you playing for hours or even days. Also, the Co-Op function will add to this play time when you have a friend to solve puzzles with. And as an PC exclusive, the Puzzle Maker will add endless possibilites to have fun. Definitely best game of 2011.
  80. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is wonderful. It's ..i think.. the best game from Valve.The story is great but the atmosphere bring this game to higher level. The characters are unique and awesome. Weathley have such a funny character. He's in a certain way, really idiotic but it makes this game more humoristic.

This game would not be the same without Glados and Wheatley.

It's simply a wonderful game.
  81. Aug 5, 2013
    A vast improvement upon the original, but still insanely over-hyped, fun for a while, but can't see myself playing through multiple times. A solid puzzle game.
  82. Jul 29, 2013
    Very great gameplay and lots of fun. campain was great and coop is just as fun! and steam has added the option to add your own maps with steam workshop (i know you can move the maps into the folder) which makes it alot easier to add maps to portal 2!

Overall i give this game a 10/10 for single player, coop and the extra things to keep the game fun! one of many great games from valve!!
  83. Jul 29, 2013
    It's basically Portal 1, but dumbed down and with no-so-good humor and a general hollywood-style feeling. Yes, the levels are now more detailed, there is much more stuff lying around and there is a dumb assistant, but overall I got a feeling that they just wanted to make the game more accessible and appealing to idiots. Unfortunately, this also made the game less appealing to guys like myself. Portal 1's setting was cool, why do you need to add this mass-culture wrapping to it? Expand
  84. Jul 28, 2013
    Portal 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. Not only Valve was able to create one of the most amazing story lines ever created, but they were able to do so using only three characters and a mute protagonist. There are literally no words to describe how amazing this game is, but lucky for you, Valve is even more awesome than their games, and will let you purchase it for just a few euros, you don't even need to have a good pc, the Source Engine can be run even by the worst laptops on the market.

And here comes my main reason that makes this the best game ever created: Wheatley. It's just incredible how Valve could create such an expressive and fun character out of an anonymous core from the first game. He has so many face expressions that's almost unbelievable, and Stephen Merchant's voice fits just perfectly for him that you'll just get dragged into the story without even noticing it.

Every time you'll think the game gave you everything, there will be a plot-twist awaiting you.

I actually bought 5 copies of this game, one for PS3, one for PC, and three for friends. The console port is perfect, don't listen to the people that say otherwise.
  85. Jul 28, 2013
    The best Valve game (yes, better than HL2!). This game is an absolute joy from start to end, with humorous and puzzling situations. If you haven't played the first one... Well still do that, but you HAVE to play this one IMMEDIATELY after!
  86. Jul 27, 2013
    VALVE did it againg. AMAZING game arrived on our PCs.
    Portal 2 is SUPER fun, logic, at the end little bit hard. Just a little. Features Co-Op which is done very, very, very well. Glados and Wheatly are funny etc. etc..
    Anyway, I´m huge gamer, but I don´t spend too much time at FPS games, I´m more RTS fan 19 hour STRAIGHT), this game is my personal favorite and record (11 hour
    straight)...
    BUY IT
  87. Jul 27, 2013
    Well, this is by far one of the best puzzle games I have ever played! I loved the storyline and the cooperative mode made the whole experience even more interesting and amusing. I was also excited by the PeTI (Perpetual Testing Initiative) that gave me the ability to create my own puzzles as well as to enjoy the mind-blowing creations of other users.
  88. Jul 25, 2013
    Portal 2 is the sequel of Portal and much better! It has new gaming features, you can play in coop and buld and play community maps! The game has much humor and is just brilliant.
  89. Jul 23, 2013
    To all the people giving bad reviews: did you guys even play the game?? if you did, then you should know it's a masterpiece. If you didn't, the please don't rate.
  90. Jul 21, 2013
    Game has a great story, Simple logic and toughtfull puzzles. Good atmosphare and tons of easter eggs to find out.(that means look every sing e CORNER) the game is based on using 2 portals by the blue and orange portal. when you go true orange portal u get to blue portal exit and when you go to blue portal you get to orange exit. With 2 of these portals you nead to slove puzzles in a atmospharic and fun way. The story is prety well and you can build your own test chambers... you only nead to think with portals. You can play gam single player or coop, You can also play on campaing or comunity maps in bought type.You will find your self thinking a lot with your friends. Expand
  91. Jul 19, 2013
    One of the best games ever made, certainly one of the best from the modern gaming era. Amazing ambiance, hilarious and sometimes deep/touching story. It has some good puzzles, but I feel like overall its an interactive story leaning more into the adventure genre.

Portal 2 offers a lot of playtime with some replayability. Its a game you'll love and the quotes will get stuck in your head.

It may be a little too smart or not pretentious enough for some people. I'm not really sure why anyone would give this game a negative review, except to arbitrarily counter all the positive ones.
  92. Jul 18, 2013
    I'm absolutely taken aback at just how good this game is. I finished the first Portal in just under 2 days, and loved every second of it. Portal 2 is leaps and bounds better than Portal 1, and I didn't think that would have been possible. One of the best games I have ever played, and likely ever will.
  93. Jul 18, 2013
    Portal 2. How do I put this? Portal 2 is an improvement over Portal 1 in every way imaginable. But that isn't saying much. If you've played the original you know what to expect. Running through 20ish test chambers. Go through the facility like in the last test chamber, but it's way bigger this time. Rinse and repeat. And if you didn't play the original here's a one word summary: boring.

Portal 2 side steps most of the pitfalls of the original though. There are more tools, a fact made painfully obvious when I tried to design a map with only stuff from Portal 1. There's actually a story this time. And there are some puzzles that will actually stump you.

And the map editor is pretty cool, even though playing your own puzzles is never fun. And I have to force close the game when quitting, weird.
  94. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WARNING SPOILERS!
    Alright lets first talk about story the story is its the sequel to portal 1 and your in a hotel room and a robot comes in and moves it somewhere else and you explore the ruins of aperture science and awaken glados then you get to the puzzle part of the game than...well lets just say the game gets a lot different after
    Now gameplay
    The gameplay is nice and fun your brain will be exercising when solving these puzzles and more things
    and thats it
    Have fun playing!
  95. Jul 17, 2013
    Portal was fun, it has some good puzzles but it was WAY too short! Portal 2, on the other hand, is a much longer, much better game. The writing was great, the humor fit well with the game and kind of made fun of the fact Chell can't talk. New mechanics are introduced all the time, keeping the game fresh. The puzzles were all different, some involve manipulating turrets, and some had you spamming goo everywhere. But Portal 2 is not perfect. Some of the puzzles weren't very fun as they were either WAY too easy or just not creative enough, but luckily the great puzzles are enough the forgive the flaws. And one of the biggest features of Portal 2 is multiplayer. And no it's not just playing through the exact same game except the players only control 1 portal, it's an entirely new game, filled with new 4-portal puzzles and funny gestures. Oh yeah, did I mention you play as Robots?! The interactions with GLaDOSE are really cool because you are robots. The multiplayer is basically it's own game!

From the great puzzles, humor and multiplayer, this game definitely deserves a 9.3/10.
  96. Jul 12, 2013
    I love this game so much, I would never stop playing it if they made portal 3.
    Dear Valve, this game is great, and you really should consider making portal 3!
  97. Jul 10, 2013
    Portal 2 is a game where you solve test chambers. The puzzles are incredibly clever and are difficult for a change. The humor in this is funny and original. GLaDOS the fan favorite is back and better than ever. Wheatly is wonderfully voice by the talented Steven Merchant. All in all the game is great.
  98. Jul 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is without a doubt the best game I have ever played in my life. the game is funny as hell, the puzzles make you, think the characters are some of the best in gaming history. The first Portal game was unforgettable. It was a game i got with the Orange Box and did not expect to like but ended up loving to death. this is Valves magic at its best, The story from beginning to end. And me personally think this game had the best ending to a game period. It had a clever twist wraps up story great, sending weatley out in to space, awesome, Glados letting you go and the turret opera awesome! Want You gone not as amazing as Still Alive but still Awesome. Plus This game comes with Co-op campaign you can play with a buddy whitch exceeded my expectations the most challenging part of the game because you have to work together with 4 portals. and has great replay value. Speaking of replay value if you want an infinite amount of it get the Pc version where you can make your own test chambers single player and co-op. Do your self a favor and buy Portal 2 you will be glad you did. Expand
  99. Jul 5, 2013
    This game is the definition of excellence. The puzzles are challenging, and the writing is simply amazing, I have never seen a video game where the characters are so well written that I feel like I actually know them. The co-op offers hours of fun, (as does the actual campaign), and when you're done with those, you can go on and create your own levels and try some of the communities levels via Steam Workshop. This game deserves the good ratings its been getting and is an excellent sequel to its predecessor, Portal. Expand
  100. Jul 5, 2013
    For some reason the best thing in this charming puzzle game is the dialogue. Sure, the puzzles are quite engaging and stuff but Portal 2 would be a 7 at max if there wasnt this brilliant writing and equally great voice acting. The addition of co-op is great but it isnt so hard when you have two people thinking what to do. The PC version is by far the best one thanks to Steam Workshop and a 75% sale every 3 days.

8.7 for PC
    8.0 for consoles.
  101. Jul 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fun experience, but it's really short on content. Firstly, the Portal mechanic works great. Everything looks and plays really well, and it's a very well presented title. Also, the gameplay is very fun. It's around the system of clearing puzzles in order to progress further and further. The puzzles ranged from pretty easy to kind-of tough, but the game never got too hard that I got stuck. That being said, the game felt short and lacking any replay content. The main single-player mode can took me 6 hours, and the co-op mode took me 2 hours, totalling at 8 hours. 8 hours of non-replayable content is a bit hard to press for a full priced game, and that's why my score is a 6, because there's not a lot of content to be found. Sure, it is a well crafted game, but it's a delicacy that's over before you want it to be. I didn't feel insanely challenged by this game, and it left me slightly unrewarded. Overall, if you aren't too much of a puzzle fan, this would be a great game for you. If you're wanting a challenge, though, this game doesn't offer too much of one. Collapse

1. Oct 20, 2011