8.8

1. Aug 7, 2012
    AMAZING game. Great plot, great characters, great gameplay. All around an awesome game. The only negative I could think of was that some of the levels, even later in the game, were too easy. I'd give it a 9.9 if I could. I refuse to give out tens though, because no game is perfect ;)
  2. gas
    Aug 6, 2012
    Really a great game, one of the best games ever made in my opinion.
    Single player is great, ofc you must like puzzles to like the game, anyway the co op in my opinion is absolutely the best part, i dont remember other multiplayer games where i had more fun then this one.
    A must buy title.
  3. Aug 6, 2012
    Combine the brilliant storytelling of Half-Life and add insanely witty humor with mind bending puzzles based on an outstanding concept. You can't go wrong with Portal 2.
  4. Koo
    Aug 4, 2012
    A really beautiful game that's fun for everyone. It improves on the original Portal in every respect: Story, humour, and puzzles. It's just plain fun to play, and stays with you long after you finish the game. One tip for people playing the game for the first time: Do not use walkthroughs/cheat guides! I used a walkthrough for one puzzle I was stuck on for two days, and I regret itA really beautiful game that's fun for everyone. It improves on the original Portal in every respect: Story, humour, and puzzles. It's just plain fun to play, and stays with you long after you finish the game. One tip for people playing the game for the first time: Do not use walkthroughs/cheat guides! I used a walkthrough for one puzzle I was stuck on for two days, and I regret it to this day! (1 year later). Any time you get stuck, just take a break from the game, re-think the puzzle, and then get back at it. The puzzle I got stuck on was a common problem for many players, but the solution to it is simple and straightforward (perhaps why I couldn't figure it out!). Fantastic game if you have a PC, PS3 or XBox 360. I can recommend it to everyone. 10/10 Expand
  5. Jul 31, 2012
    This game was amazing. It is fun, clever and beautiful. Consistently clever writing perfectly complements the onscreen action. Brilliant comedic timing. Level of difficulty of the puzzles throughout the game was amazing. Voice acting and the characters are brilliant.
  6. Jul 31, 2012
    Portal 2 is a wonderful game. I have read a great number of reviews regarding this game and I have to say that I was a little confused by all the reviews saying "terrible game" and "lacking in repeat play". Let's take a look at some of the things that make this game great and why the negative reviews are just plain wrong. I will be addressing the highs and lows of this game in an attemptPortal 2 is a wonderful game. I have read a great number of reviews regarding this game and I have to say that I was a little confused by all the reviews saying "terrible game" and "lacking in repeat play". Let's take a look at some of the things that make this game great and why the negative reviews are just plain wrong. I will be addressing the highs and lows of this game in an attempt to paint the most accurate picture I can.

Development of Portal 2 began almost immediately after the release of Portal included in Valve's Orange Box. The critical acclaim of Portal allowed the development team to branch off and develop a stand alone game and not just a modification included with the Half-Life franchise. Initially, Portal 2 was to do away with portals altogether and use a technology called "F-Stop", something only Valve insiders know the details about. Luckily, through the development of Portal 2, this idea was scrapped and a new approach was taken: Don't make Portal 2 more difficult, make it more grand in scope and add puzzles that make players feel smart when they solve them.

I will admit that sections of Portal had me tearing my hair out but Portal 2 managed to keep me calm even during the more difficult puzzles. I'm not saying that Portal 2 is easy, but I found myself wondering around a puzzle trying to figure out how to solve it instead of blindly shooting portals at walls and waiting for something to stick. Now, that aside, let's get down to business.

STORY

I found the story of Portal 2 to be very simple; something that I would expect from a game that focuses more on solving puzzles than developing characters. The game is supposed to be fun. You aren't supposed to develop intense connections to the characters. A cut scene every five minutes would be unfitting to a game centered around puzzle solving.

GAMEPLAY

The mechanics of Portal 2 are nearly identical to that of Portal. You make a portal, step through, and things happen based on where you come out. Valve has added certain elements that allow you to solve puzzles in new and interesting ways. It is no longer just about making portals, you are required to take your environment into consideration and be able to use the new tools Portal 2 has provided to solve the new puzzles.

That being said, the only reason Portal 2 can be as long as it is (it can be beat in an afternoon, a solid 5 hours) is due to these new tools. It adds a certain dynamic to the gameplay but in the end it just feels like they tried to add content simply to make the game longer. The new elements are a bit tedious at times and I ran into a few puzzles that were just incredibly frustrating. However, my complaining may just be due to the fact that it took me a while to figure out a few of the puzzles and that made me upset.

GRAPHICS

Portal 2 does not push graphics to a new high but it does make the Source Engine look very pretty. The in-game animations look great and the destruction/creation of world elements is pulled off nicely. Having a loading screen pop up at then end of almost every test chamber does get annoying though. Several people have noted that this is a clear indicator that is game was designed for a console then ported to PC. After doing a bit of research though, I found this not to be the case. From a strictly graphical standpoint, Portal 2 does not disappoint.

CHARACTERS/DIALOG

As a whole, the voice acting is wonderfully done. It includes Ellen McClain reprising her role as GlaDOS, Stephen Merchant as the idiotic A.I. Wheatley, and J.K. Simmons voicing the founder of Aperture Science, Cave Johnson.

The scripted dialog between the characters does get a bit childish at times and the jokes a bit campy and dated but I did find myself chuckling on more than a few occasions. Then again, there is no real gore in this game and could be argued that it is suited for a younger audience, which is fine, despite it's "Teen" rating.

REPLAY VALUE

Ok, this where I would like to address a few issues. A lot of people have complained that once you solve a puzzle, there is no real replay value. Most of this game is based on solving puzzles, not quick reflexes or shooting skills. So where does the replay value come in? The Portal 2 Workbench. Valve has included a built in level builder where you are free to make new chambers and share them with the Steam community. Others have even gone on to create more complex levels in Hammer to add new story lines and locations. This is also not some small community with a rather limited number of levels, this is a VAST group of people all looking to contribute something unique. In my opinion, there is PLENTY of replay value in Portal 2.

So, there you have it. This game is immensely fun but in order for you to fully enjoy it, you must be willing to dive into the user-created content. Some of the puzzles can feel tedious but wholly enjoyable non-the-less.
  7. Jul 30, 2012
    Great game, great story and innovative gameplay. This game sucked me in from the first moment i started playing it, and one of the few games i played through from beginning to the end. You really dont even want it to end!! +10
  8. Jul 25, 2012
    The game itself is a true jewel, inventive, original and with a righteously defined difficulty. But what makes it really lovely is the misty story and the as brilliant as cynical humor of the omnipresent center coordinator.
    Not only a puzzle game, it will ask of you sometime a good coordination too.
    Coop campaign is a "TODO" as well! Hint : having finished the first opus will help to
    Not only a puzzle game, it will ask of you sometime a good coordination too.
    Coop campaign is a "TODO" as well!
    Hint : having finished the first opus will help to immerse in the game.
  9. Jul 23, 2012
    A sequel worthy of the original. There's really nothing I can add that hasn't been said already. Melds a wonderful (if somewhat predictable) story with unforgettable characters and enthralling puzzles. Do yourself a huge favor and just get it.
  10. Jul 22, 2012
    Obviously a 10/10. Tied with Skyrim for GOTY in my opinion. The story is amazing. The voice acting is amazing. The game also runs a bit smoother and seems a fair bit more polished than the original. And after you finish the game, co-op awaits you and a friend. Co-op is not just some tacked-on BS. It can stand up on its own. I got stuck a few times but I never had to cheat. OverallObviously a 10/10. Tied with Skyrim for GOTY in my opinion. The story is amazing. The voice acting is amazing. The game also runs a bit smoother and seems a fair bit more polished than the original. And after you finish the game, co-op awaits you and a friend. Co-op is not just some tacked-on BS. It can stand up on its own. I got stuck a few times but I never had to cheat. Overall I could not have asked for more. I'd give it 11/10 if I could. Expand
  11. Jul 21, 2012
    This gam doesn't get much better. The concepts are awesome, the graphics are just as good, and the story line is amazing. It's even better now that you can make your own levels on Steam Community. If you don't have it, get it. You're money will be well spent if you buy this game.
  12. Jul 15, 2012
    First time I give 10/10, I grabbed this game for 4 EURs and was one of a most engaging gaming experience I had in years. Negatives are about shortness or easiness of story line, but since game has extras and community maps its actually infinite challenging fun therefore anyone giving it less than 10.0 isn't familiar with game mechanics enough. Do some research before bashing. Thanks.
  13. Jul 12, 2012
    It's something for everyone. Hours of endless fun with the new custom maps. Co op is a fantastic way to socialise as it is very casual and laid back, however it challenges the mind aswell with its hard puzzles.
  14. Jul 11, 2012
    302 people don't even know what a gorgeous game is! One of the best games I have ever played. That's normal because Valve is in it. All I can say is that Portal 2 is my fourth best game on the list!
  15. Jul 6, 2012
    Again, Portal 2 brought me experience that was so uniquely fun. I enjoyed this game from the beginning to the end and I am looking forward to Portal 3. Praise, to their creativity.
  16. Jul 5, 2012
    Portal 2 is an incredible breath of fresh air from the monotonous shooters and RPG games being churned out nowadays. These people who are "giving the game a 1 to offset the 'Valve fanboys'" need to grow up. Not every game needs to have a bunch of killing and cursing to be "funny" or "adult oriented". If the puzzles weren't challenging for you, then that's great. That means you're prettyPortal 2 is an incredible breath of fresh air from the monotonous shooters and RPG games being churned out nowadays. These people who are "giving the game a 1 to offset the 'Valve fanboys'" need to grow up. Not every game needs to have a bunch of killing and cursing to be "funny" or "adult oriented". If the puzzles weren't challenging for you, then that's great. That means you're pretty damn smart and you should go on to do great things, instead of bashing a game on the internet. You wanna know why this got game of the year? Because it's DIFFERENT. Because it doesn't follow the set-in-stone formula of "bad guys have a bomb; go kill bad guys; play multiplayer". This game actually has a story line that makes you feel attached to it. Can't say that I've felt that way towards a game in years. I can honestly say, for the first time in my 21 years of gaming, that I am LOOKING FORWARD to DLC. As long as it pertains to the original story then it's going to be great. Expand
  17. Jun 24, 2012
    This has to be one of the best games of all time. Super original premise (although it is a sequel), the story is amazing and the characters are deep. The enviroment is masterfully put together. The multiplayer mode ads a huge amount of content to enjoy and you can even make your own test chambers! Really this game is a must buy to anyone of all ages.
  18. Jun 22, 2012
    Simply a 10/10. Even if my computer is crap when it comes to these kind of games, I'm still stunned at its quality, which is amazing. The amount of upgrades this game received compared to the original is endless, and the final boss is one of the most epic bosses ever.
  19. Jun 20, 2012
    I played the original Portal a few months after Portal 2 came out. I really enjoyed Valve's short experiment but I couldn't figure out how Valve would make a full game from a game I thought they couldn't expand on. However, I soon found that Valve, as usual exceeded my expectations. They didn't just make a full game out of a three hour experiment, but they made a puzzle game which neverI played the original Portal a few months after Portal 2 came out. I really enjoyed Valve's short experiment but I couldn't figure out how Valve would make a full game from a game I thought they couldn't expand on. However, I soon found that Valve, as usual exceeded my expectations. They didn't just make a full game out of a three hour experiment, but they made a puzzle game which never gets old with great co-op. The mindbending puzzles always provide a challenge, but are never frustrating. The stellar voice acting from Stephen Merchant as Wheatly was funny and it made me feel like I had an ally. I recommend this game to anyone, male or female, young or old Expand
  20. Jun 19, 2012
    Portal 2 is brilliant, just brilliant. It haves memorable story and characters, and the same unique and great gameplay. SIngle player experience is so great, that you will be impressed from the outstanding story. Not just that, even multiplayer is excellent, playing co-op is rewarding. Just buy it, and you will see how awesome it is!
  21. Jun 18, 2012
    Valve has out-done them selves. This game shows the future of valve games. The length of the game is longer than the first and the graphics are a big improvement. the story is hilarious, especially with the company of wheatly; a silly little robot that has no idea what he's doing and of course GlaDos trying to bring you down along the way.
  22. Jun 17, 2012
    Excellent! Almost can't even put a value on it. Superb writing, story, and humor. Awesome environments and animations. Wonderful gameplay. Some of the new testing components got me annoyed. Just so much goodness...
  23. Jun 12, 2012
    Great sequel to the first one. This game is very different from others, this is a very strategic and quite funny game. I recommend this to anyone and everyone who enjoys a great challenge and a good laugh!
  24. Jun 9, 2012
    This is TOTALLY A GO! Very good story line, amazing AI(Artificial Intelligence), Amazing graphics, amazing art, very detailed puzzles, very good lighting style, its one of the best physics games out there! You cannot bypass this game! If you're the type that likes puzzle games, but yet have good story line, then this is the game for you. Valve really did good with this game.
  25. Jun 8, 2012
    There are few games that come around like Portal 2. A genius mechanic comes to an amazing mind, and is used the best ways one could. The people at Valve have created a game that topped any game I have ever played before in my entire life. The writing, graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, voice acting, lasting appeal and replay value; Portal 2 is a gem. A priceless gem. I just want toThere are few games that come around like Portal 2. A genius mechanic comes to an amazing mind, and is used the best ways one could. The people at Valve have created a game that topped any game I have ever played before in my entire life. The writing, graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, voice acting, lasting appeal and replay value; Portal 2 is a gem. A priceless gem. I just want to get this out there. We've all thought up of the idea of Portal befrore. Don't try to hide it. We've seen it on TV, thought about and made it funny when we were in 2nd grade, and it HAS been seen on shows like Looney Toons and Ed, Edd, n' Eddy. But none of us had put the concept into action. So when Valve did some observing, it hit them, and they created one of the greatest games ever made. Valve knows how to make a sequel. Other game deveelopers just decide to take the formula, and slap it onto the next game. But Portal does more than that. They added a beeter story, prettier graphics, and even made it funny. Valve knows how to make us feel good. They added Wheatley, one of the greatest characters ever to be apart of a video game. He is voiced excellently by british funny man Stephen Merchant, and I can't get enough of him. Sure, GLaDOS has some lines too, but Whetaley ultimatley steals the show. The classic portal gun is back, but 3 new mecahanics freshen up the experience. This time, there are 3 different gels to mess around with and help you finish the test chamber. The blue gell makes you bounce, the orange gell makes you speedy so you can fly off rails, and white gell allows you to shoot portals on previously portal resistant sufaces. Top that with excellent design an amazing difficulty curve and countless suprises in the chambers, you can't help but admire the beauty in it all. Since the events of Portal 1, aoerture science has been abandoned for decades, and there are a lot of green plants growing everywhere. GLaDOS will be moving panels, and tryong to clean the place up, and what she will do to try and kill you is unpredictable. You will not only hear GLaDOS and Wheatley throughout though. Even the narrator in aperture has things to say to you. The narrator is not always the same voice. I could be some one random, or it could be Cave Johnson, the founder of aperture himself. The variety is quit welcome. The puzzels themselves can have you thinking a lot. It's not trail and error here. It might look real hard at first, but yoiu'll never feel left behind because the difficulty increases at a steady rate throughout. The single player campagin can last about 5-7 hours, depending weather or not you rush. Then there's Co-Op. If you're friend is a socially stubborn douche, nothing will work out here. If someone just decides to stand in the corner and do nothing after an argument, you can't do anything. You HAVE to get along with your partner. It will take you thinking, team-work and trust to get through each chamber, and while it might stress you out sometimes, as the difficulty is tuned up, it is just as great as the campagin. Speaking of goin g through test chambers, that's the game's one problem. The loading screens pop up after every test chamber, change of enviorment and somtimes cutscene. They aren't too long, but they pop up frquenly, especially in the begining. But that won't stop Portal 2 from being one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life. It is so inventive and genius, you'll think about it for days. I don't understand why you're still reading this review. Go out and but Portal 2 NOW!!! You won't regret it. Expand
  26. Jun 6, 2012
    An Instant classic!
    Why you no have this game?!
    An Instant classic!
    Why you no have this game?!
    Have not played the single player but if it is at lest as good as the Co-Op it will be epic beyond all words. Get one of your friends and rock this Co-Op because if you do not your going to miss out on some high quality gaming goodness. IMPORTANT: This game is not a clone of anything. It is something truly original. Really original games are a rare thing today.

This requires critical thinking, true cooperation, problem solving and not only do you feel like you have learned something (Something rare in games as of late) but also you do not feel like you are over your head. This is mainly due to the clever uses of humor at just the right times. Also has something that you might not expect for a game like this....a plot that is well thought out. Not only in the Co-Op but also the single player game as well. Both the Single player and Co-Op have their own separate storylines so in short you have two games in one....kind of.

My point is BUY THIS GAME, it is worth your time and money.
    It is better over the first Portal.

Go get it now.
  27. Jun 1, 2012
    Good characters, well designed puzzles, good voice acting. Multiplayer was a fun new twist and was very refreshing after the singleplayer campaign. Biggest issues with the game stem from it being too short (20 hours with single+multi complete) and puzzles being relatively easy. Also no challenge maps was a bummer, but the steamworks player-made map thing has sated my desire for hard puzzles.
  28. May 30, 2012
    What can I say? I loved this game because it was funny, a worthy sequel and a truly enchanting experience. If you don't have this game, but you have the money, by all means get it. It's a beautiful visual journey that captures the history of Aperture Science and what could have been. There is charming music, as in the original. Charming? More like AWESOME. The only problem I had was thatWhat can I say? I loved this game because it was funny, a worthy sequel and a truly enchanting experience. If you don't have this game, but you have the money, by all means get it. It's a beautiful visual journey that captures the history of Aperture Science and what could have been. There is charming music, as in the original. Charming? More like AWESOME. The only problem I had was that the levels were either ridiculously hard or brain-splatteringly easy. There was no gentle increase, more like a sharp jolt. Expand
  29. May 24, 2012
    The humor is brilliant. I suggest to play Portal 1 as an intro for Portal 2. Co-op is simply brilliant and fun, especially the 'emotes' (the rock-paper-scissors made me laugh). Now with the Perpetual Testing Initiative it gets even more challenging.
  30. May 23, 2012
    Having never played the first Portal game, I played the first few levels of Portal 2 only for me to go back to the first Portal game and then finish Portal 2. I loved every step of the game and look forward to a possible Portal 3!
  31. May 22, 2012
    Simply the best game i played this year. Cool gameplay, mind blown, great storyline... everything is awesome except the truth that the story mode ends really fast, but since it have co-op mode, well who cares about how short the story is?! the main fun in this game is solving puzzles, with incredible portal gun, and you can enjoy it together with your dearest friend, and even you can makeSimply the best game i played this year. Cool gameplay, mind blown, great storyline... everything is awesome except the truth that the story mode ends really fast, but since it have co-op mode, well who cares about how short the story is?! the main fun in this game is solving puzzles, with incredible portal gun, and you can enjoy it together with your dearest friend, and even you can make the hardest puzzles yourself and let people try it. So what do you think? do i have to put lesser score just because it have short story line?? HELL NO! Expand
  32. May 21, 2012
    This is Portal plus a 1000 awesomes. Stephen Merchant is super funny as Wheatley and made me cry in laughter quite a bit. GLaDOS is as funny as ever and there are some great ideas thrown into this sequel. The story is pristine and the 7 to 8 hours you spend playing the story make up for the price. The game has replay-ability for sure and the puzzles like the first aren't to easy but not toThis is Portal plus a 1000 awesomes. Stephen Merchant is super funny as Wheatley and made me cry in laughter quite a bit. GLaDOS is as funny as ever and there are some great ideas thrown into this sequel. The story is pristine and the 7 to 8 hours you spend playing the story make up for the price. The game has replay-ability for sure and the puzzles like the first aren't to easy but not to hard either.
    MUST BUY!
  33. May 20, 2012
    One of the best games I ever played. It's fantastic and it's perfect. I used to hate this kind of games, but Portal 2 opened my mind to this fantastic world. And GlaDOS... I love you.
  34. May 20, 2012
    I thought Portal 2 was just wonderful. The humorous dialogue coupled with that "Aha!" feeling you get when you beat a puzzle made this game franchise the successful gold mine it is today. While it was noticeably less puzzle-y than the first one, the co-op more than made up for this game's lack of difficulty. The puzzles, especially in single-player, were more trying to find the onlyI thought Portal 2 was just wonderful. The humorous dialogue coupled with that "Aha!" feeling you get when you beat a puzzle made this game franchise the successful gold mine it is today. While it was noticeably less puzzle-y than the first one, the co-op more than made up for this game's lack of difficulty. The puzzles, especially in single-player, were more trying to find the only platform in the room you can place a portal on. This being Portal 2's only flaw in my opinion (and a minor one at that), I don't see any reason why this game shouldn't get a perfect 10/10.

Oh, and I also thought the single player ending (which I am not going to be giving away) was both innovative and spectacular.
  35. May 19, 2012
    The story is fun and humorous, the puzzles range from simplistic to diabolical, the characters are well fleshed-out, and the gameplay is absolutely engaging. A must-have.
  36. May 18, 2012
    Bought the duo-pack for 12$ on steam.
    BEST. PURCHASE. EVER!
    I love the game and had so much fun with my friend! especially over skype. Hoping for Portal 3
  37. May 18, 2012
    I cannot describe how much fun i had while playing this game, to all of you out there wondering if you should buy this game or not, let me tell you this, simply put, one of the greatest games ever made, everything is EXCELLENT, the sound, the story, the game play, the graphics, this is game is a MUST have.
  38. May 18, 2012
    Probably will be hailed as one of the most greatest puzzle game, Portal 2 is a breakthrough for the genre. The new features (such as the gels) and coop mode, upgrade the game to a whole new. Breakthrough within a breakthrough, Portal 2 will be remembered for years to come.
  39. May 17, 2012
    Incredible! You continue on with the play-ability of Portal add more variables, add better graphics, the evolution of AI, Physics, and It will take you to a world that is truly amazing! And the co-op is on a different scale. 10 on 10
  40. May 16, 2012
    For me this is perfection. Gameplay is inovative, fun, just fantastic. Maybe there should be more content, thats the only bad thing. The ending is perfect, voice acting, story. SOmething every other game could only dream of having .
  41. May 16, 2012
    Game is brilliant. You have to think, you have deep climate and smart humour. Playing Portal 2 I had some minor irritations (a brief feeling of being forced into prolonged series of tests, generally against the plot, just to make game-play longer), but I instantly forget them just when the outstandingly high level of humour appeared again and again and again... :D Sentenced like "BitGame is brilliant. You have to think, you have deep climate and smart humour. Playing Portal 2 I had some minor irritations (a brief feeling of being forced into prolonged series of tests, generally against the plot, just to make game-play longer), but I instantly forget them just when the outstandingly high level of humour appeared again and again and again... :D Sentenced like "Bit bigger than I expected. Not going to be able to just, you know, push it over. Have to apply some cleverness" or "I'm in space" are just unforgettable :D And the ending... OH. MY. GOD. :D

Cant wait for Portal 3!
  42. May 15, 2012
    A Great game with some of the best voice acting performances I have ever seen or heard. The only blemish on this game is the fairly useless co-op (perhaps they will allow people to build co-op levels?) and the game feeling like an extended edition of Portal 1 with the mid section of the game dragging the game down a bit. But still, an overall fantastic game. And with the map editor nowA Great game with some of the best voice acting performances I have ever seen or heard. The only blemish on this game is the fairly useless co-op (perhaps they will allow people to build co-op levels?) and the game feeling like an extended edition of Portal 1 with the mid section of the game dragging the game down a bit. But still, an overall fantastic game. And with the map editor now released has endless play for those that love puzzles. Expand
  43. May 14, 2012
    Great to see the second installment of Portal became a full priced game, a great one at that. Portal 2 is simply a well executed game just like many others from Valve. The game stayed true from the first, advancing the puzzles and increasing the game life with a longer campaign and multiplayer modes. A separate Co-op campaign was another great feature. The game features great voice acting,Great to see the second installment of Portal became a full priced game, a great one at that. Portal 2 is simply a well executed game just like many others from Valve. The game stayed true from the first, advancing the puzzles and increasing the game life with a longer campaign and multiplayer modes. A separate Co-op campaign was another great feature. The game features great voice acting, memorable characters, the famous puzzles and great atmosphere. Portal 2 both lives up to the hype and proves itself as an amazing sequel. Expand
  44. May 12, 2012
    Portal 2 may be the most intresting game I've played, very, as anyone else said, innovating, but before getting it make sure you understand its a PUZZLE game. It has the same game mechanic as Half Life 2 and is even located in the same universe but sometimes I get the feeling the steam trying to sell it as a FPS which it is not- But if you put that aside, its a brilliant game with veryPortal 2 may be the most intresting game I've played, very, as anyone else said, innovating, but before getting it make sure you understand its a PUZZLE game. It has the same game mechanic as Half Life 2 and is even located in the same universe but sometimes I get the feeling the steam trying to sell it as a FPS which it is not- But if you put that aside, its a brilliant game with very nice puzzles, Just don't think you can play it twice or more, because the puzzles remain the same and even through the game offers "challenges" this is just a very cheap trick to make the game seem bigger then it is, because there is no point in the world to race in beating puzzles you have completed already. The Co-Op is brilliant, just make sure you make it with someone you know who haven't done it already, and like the single player don't bother re-playing puzzles unless your joy in the world is pretending the be smarter then you are by playing puzzles you know how to solve.

The best figure of the game in my opinion is the in-games joke. The characters of Cave Johnson, GLADOS, and whitley are brilliantly funny. The only reason to play the game again is to listen to jokes you've missed. Just watch the game teasers if you want to know what I am talking about.

I would have given this game 6 for being relatively short and unreplayable (Relatively to his price) but steam has finally added to the game what it should have had from the release- the Portal 2 workshop which pretty much solves the "I have dont with this game anything I could" Problem. The game is now being reinforced freely by everyone who wants to and the result is much more puzzles in any difficulty level you desire (Meaning Hard puzzles. No one admit wanting a easy one). Since every week new puzzles are added the game will now stay relevant as long as people imagination will, which makes me pretty optimistic. Shame the haven't done it from the start. But at least they added few jokes, which are like a very nice prize for completing a new puzzle.
  45. May 12, 2012
    Portal 2 is amazing. There's not really any other way to describe it. The people that are complaining that it sucks either: 1) Are retarded, 2) Mistakenly thought the this was Portal: The Flash Version, 3) Are addicted to FPS, or 4) Are retarded. The only real complaint I can come up with is... um... the.. well... you see... the loading screens come up to often! Yeah! I don't want to havePortal 2 is amazing. There's not really any other way to describe it. The people that are complaining that it sucks either: 1) Are retarded, 2) Mistakenly thought the this was Portal: The Flash Version, 3) Are addicted to FPS, or 4) Are retarded. The only real complaint I can come up with is... um... the.. well... you see... the loading screens come up to often! Yeah! I don't want to have to wait 7 seconds between each puzzle, I want to keep playing! Yeah... Seriously though, this game is the funniest, most addicting, interesting, thinking, game in the world. It runs smoothly too! My 3 year old laptop with an Intel graphics card and a Core 2 Duo ran this without a hitch, even if it was on minimum graphics mode. This is impressive because the graphics card crashes when I watch a YouTube video at 360p full screen. I'm not kidding. Especially since it's only $7 (at the time of this writing), there is no reason you shouldn't get it. Expand
  46. May 11, 2012
    Portal 2, Game of the Year, and a must purchase.
    Portal 2, Game of the Year, and a must purchase.
    I find it so frustrating to see people putting scores in the mixed and negative end of the spectrum for reasons such as not appreciating the humour, or finding the game not aimed at their demographic. While I understand all reviews are going to be somewhat subjective are people really that incapable of understanding that if a game has to be based on what everyone likes then we are just going to have games that are half decent at everything instead of amazing at just a few things?

How about recognising Portal 2's extension upon Portal's brilliance, how it took a game, so close to perfection and blew everyone's minds into oblivion when they developed a game that completely rewrote how perfection should be perceived. That is what the developers have done here. As a game enthusiast - but not a true gamer, I have great respect for a developer who develops behind the doors, responding little to the push and shove of corporate media and hungry investors, or the manipulative maneuvers of the gaming audience whom wish for nothing but a game designed just for them.

Portal 1 was the true baby of the developers at Valve, and Portal 2 is what happens when the baby grows up into a full game. A laundry list of intuitive and complex puzzles, a handful of interesting and engaging characters and possibly the most rewarding gameplay that I have experienced from a single player in my lengthy 20 year gaming career.

Completing each puzzle at first seems like a struggle, there is a moment where you think to yourself "How am I supposed to do this?" this is the moment where most games of today hold your hand unashamedly; deterring you from being intellectually challenged or even challenged at all. Not Portal 2, Portal 2 has a great set of tutorial levels at the start that provide story, structure and a learning curve that many developers could aspire to... copy. Not tiring for even the greatest of gamers these initial levels introduce the many facets of Portal gameplay for the new and experienced and get everyone ready for the challenges ahead. I never felt like I was drowning because of not being told about a certain aspect of a puzzle room - as each puzzle was cleverly marked with particular coloured panels that were capable of interacting with certain devices, such as your portal gun; however at the same time I was always challenged to work out how I could use the set of devices to complete a certain objective.

All of the above is as true of co-op as it is in single player, but co-op just takes the cake (and makes it a lie). The cooperative experience here is as refined as any you would find in any game that ever existed, a great length and a great many puzzles, the same tutorial level structure that you experience in the singleplayer but to get you comfortable with having 4 portals and 2 people involved in the puzzle - as well as challenging 2 minds at the same time.

If there is anything bad about this game, it's that some people unfortunately cannot see it's greatness.
  47. May 10, 2012
    I didn't expect that the sequel to Portal would be as nice as the original but in fact it was better. I enjoyed every bit of the story, the amazing end and most importantly the ability to play online with other people!
  48. May 10, 2012
    So good. The whole game I was chuckling at the silly narration. However, that silly talk and the two characters we listened to actually ended up really pulling me into the story. I only realized this when the game was almost over. Very well done to tell me a story and get me involved without me even knowing it. I am already replaying the game again, love the ending sequence.
  49. May 10, 2012
    For me is Portal 2 one of the best game ever. Intelligent, funny and when you play it with your friend in CO-OP mode, that's something unforgettable!
  50. May 9, 2012
    Portal 2 is simply the best game of the Valve, and It's the best game I ever player. It is clever, funny and a masterpiece. Following the story of the previous game, It haves even better plot than the first Portal game. And the original technology of Aperture Science is even better with some new turrets and mechanics. It haves even the Co- op mode which is even better because of thePortal 2 is simply the best game of the Valve, and It's the best game I ever player. It is clever, funny and a masterpiece. Following the story of the previous game, It haves even better plot than the first Portal game. And the original technology of Aperture Science is even better with some new turrets and mechanics. It haves even the Co- op mode which is even better because of the teamwork, it makes the game more fun. Expand
  51. May 5, 2012
    Excellent, amazing, wonderful. It gave me more fun that any other game. I recommend you to play co-op with foreigners or at least people you don't know.
  52. May 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is really just ONE thing, thats not awesome about this game. Spoiler: you die when you fall off the track. Whats the purpose of long-fall-boots again? just save you when its good with the progress? But then on the other hand: deep holes might also include spikes. and you are not save from them. Besides that: falling of the track is not the common way to die in Portal2. That would be shot through (adorable) turrets. Or get grilled by lasers. Falling of is just... stupid. It really doesn´t happen if you just take a little bit attention. And the rest of the game is just... perfect. Expand
  53. May 4, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. The only issue I have with it is that it lags on my computer. It seems you need a really good computer to play this game. But thats Valve games for you.
  54. Apr 26, 2012
    One of the best games i've played and the best Valve game ever. The soundtrack and history is amazing and Gameplay is revolucionary. Congratulations, Valve! You make one of the best games ever
  55. Apr 25, 2012
    I didn't play the first Portal until early 2012, but it didn't take long to see that the Portal-games are of excellent quality.

The first game is great, but Portal 2 is a really polished version, with the best humor I've seen in a game all my life. The history is great, the puzzle are challenging - but not too challenging.

10/10 from me!
  56. Apr 22, 2012
    I've never been a puzzle games fun but i can say i regretted not buying it sooner, anyway as the previous Portal this game will reveal a lot of secrets hidden inside Aperture, be ready to more puzzles then you imagine !
    Also you will enjoy the amazing storyline while doing science !
  57. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to admit, I didn't have the slightest interest in playing portal 2 when it came it, mostly because it is a puzzle game, which I don't seem to buy into along with RPG's. After getting the Orange Box (including the original portal) and Skyrim and being proved wrong in both areas, I got P2 anyway. This may sound a bit fanboyish, but Portal 2 is perhaps the best game I've ever played: seemlessly mixing a well-told storyline plus a meaty co-op mode, I don't think I've ever had this much fun playing a video game. The puzzles are simple, but satisfying to solve and the characters remain endearing no matter what plot twists might occur. Then I had to put it down about 6 hours later, because I had finished it: don't get me wrong though, it was a perfect length, any longer and it would've just been more flabby than meaty, and I've still got about 75% of the co-op to play through. I throughly recommend this, along with every other valve title. I guess after saying that, I'll have to go play Left 4 Dead to prove my assumptions wrong again. Expand
  58. peb
    Apr 18, 2012
    I'm bothered by people who say this game is not as good as the first due to "lack of cake" or new characters. The reason why this game is at least as good as the first is that it takes enough from the previous universe without running those old memes into the ground (i.e. cake) and expands it credibly without overstretching. I'm not a fan of humorous sidekicks in games but to me WheatleyI'm bothered by people who say this game is not as good as the first due to "lack of cake" or new characters. The reason why this game is at least as good as the first is that it takes enough from the previous universe without running those old memes into the ground (i.e. cake) and expands it credibly without overstretching. I'm not a fan of humorous sidekicks in games but to me Wheatley is undoubtedly the funniest sidekick ever. Yes, ever. The universe created here is outrageous but also rich with detail that the 1st game wasn't long enough to satisfy. This was by far the best game in 2011 and is up there with another Valve classic, Half-Life 2, as the best game they've ever done. Expand
  59. Apr 7, 2012
    Games that completely stimulates your mind are a rarity these days. When Portal came out, it was unlike anything I played. Portal 2 completely realises what Portal have achieved and expanded it into a full scale, mind boggling experience. Portal 2 is a one of a kind game. The simple controls, ingenious game mechanics, humorous storyline and overall mental satisfaction makes this game oneGames that completely stimulates your mind are a rarity these days. When Portal came out, it was unlike anything I played. Portal 2 completely realises what Portal have achieved and expanded it into a full scale, mind boggling experience. Portal 2 is a one of a kind game. The simple controls, ingenious game mechanics, humorous storyline and overall mental satisfaction makes this game one of my favourites. Expand
  60. Apr 3, 2012
    Portal 2 is amazing. the campaign's humour and direction gripped me from the start and i have to say that this is the funniest and most challenging game of 2011.
  61. Apr 2, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game because it's bigger than the original and also with new features. But I prefer the original because I think the ending was not very good and the character Weathley (the robot that appears at the beginning of the game) made the game seem childish, because Weathley is very similar to those robots you see in Disney movies.
    But even so, I consider this a nice game.
  62. Mar 30, 2012
    Truly a masterpiece, like its predecessor.
    Imho Portal 2 lives up to the expectations of Portal, which tells a lot, actually.
    Truly a masterpiece, like its predecessor.
    With Portal 2, Valve manages to introduces new chunks of story, new characters (and the actors who voices the new characters like Wheatley and Cave Johnson did a SUPERB job), new interetisting mechanics and fun puzzles and it's also longer than Portal, but not the 'boring long', just enough to keep the player entertained without becoming boring (and you will probably want to replay it at least a couple of times more) . Definitely a must have.
  63. Mar 25, 2012
    I really did not think that they could improve over the first Portal game, but let me tell you... I was so very wrong. Portal 2 improves on almost everything that the first one did right and touches you in a way that you never imagined your Weighted Companion Cube could.
  64. Mar 23, 2012
    the game is amazing. the ending blew me away. the graphics are awesome! i dont know why people are bashing the graphics, when it looks amazing. the gameplay is something to behold, and something..... original. something that some games these days are lacking.
  65. Mar 21, 2012
    whats good about this game its original its challenging and very dynamic also has great humor one of the best valve games yet oh and only 9.99 at steam :D
  66. Mar 19, 2012
    Very good game and improvements over Portal due to better graphics, more complex maps, and a better plot. The newly added features such as gels and coop modes really made the game much better to play. However, I took one mark off for day-one dlcs.
  67. Mar 13, 2012
    The thing that really separates Valve from other studios is that they have no time or resource constraints. Much like when artists are creating masterpieces, Valve has the absolute freedom to take as much time as it wants, and do whatever it wants with the game it's developing. Although other studios like Bethesda and Blizzard are pretty close to Valve in their approach to development,The thing that really separates Valve from other studios is that they have no time or resource constraints. Much like when artists are creating masterpieces, Valve has the absolute freedom to take as much time as it wants, and do whatever it wants with the game it's developing. Although other studios like Bethesda and Blizzard are pretty close to Valve in their approach to development, Valve games just have that extra something that pushes them past those two studios. It's a mix of absolutely flawless execution, immaculate scriptwriting, and sophistication of concepts. The close integration of these three factors in Valve games reminds me a lot of Apple and its products. Except in terms of what values they stand for, Valve is the polar opposite of the greedy Apple Inc. It just can't get any better. Now, going into a little more detail, the story of Portal 2 was actually a slight disappointment for me, as it just didn't have that subtle genius we saw in half life 2 or portal 1. It seemed A) little dumbed down for the console crowd (unlikely) OR B) somewhat hastily put together because of Valve's shuffling story ideas around before they got set on a definite path (They scrapped the original Portal 2 a year into its development I believe, and started over to make the current version). But besides that, the gameplay, map design, voicework, and set pieces -everything else, basically- is pure genius. It's just so damned creative that it boggles your mind. I give this game a 9.5 but unfortunately metacritic does not allow decimal scores, so I give it a 10, because it's definitely not a 9 point game as some would have you believe. There's really nothing else for me to say other than that you really need to play this game. It's one of the experiences that will define gaming history forever. Expand
  68. Mar 13, 2012
    Great game. Perhaps one of the best in 2011. Great voice, decent graphics and good storyline. So cool. By the way, be sure to check titles. I would also like to note co-op mode. It became decisive in the choice of purchase.
  69. Mar 10, 2012
    From a free game meant to test players reaction to a full sequel that ended up as one of the best, original and inovative games ever made: this is Portal (2)! I wouldn't go as far as naming it the best game made by Valve, but i would put these two together next to the first Half-Life anytime. Story and voice acting at their best, no cheesy moment, and emotionally engaging (especially atFrom a free game meant to test players reaction to a full sequel that ended up as one of the best, original and inovative games ever made: this is Portal (2)! I wouldn't go as far as naming it the best game made by Valve, but i would put these two together next to the first Half-Life anytime. Story and voice acting at their best, no cheesy moment, and emotionally engaging (especially at the end), this game was destined to become a cult game from the start. Expand
  70. Mar 7, 2012
    Good sequel to a great game. I can't say I was bedazzled by Portal 2 since the core fundamentals haven't changed from the original game, but there are a few new elements which introduce some cool twists to the puzzles. The ending was indeed lunacy--WOW. Without giving anything away, it is simply an ending worth experiencing. The coop is great fun too. If you enjoyed the first Portal,Good sequel to a great game. I can't say I was bedazzled by Portal 2 since the core fundamentals haven't changed from the original game, but there are a few new elements which introduce some cool twists to the puzzles. The ending was indeed lunacy--WOW. Without giving anything away, it is simply an ending worth experiencing. The coop is great fun too. If you enjoyed the first Portal, playing this one is a no-brainer--it is very much the same, only better. Expand
  71. Mar 7, 2012
    Portal 2 is absolutely incredible from start to finish. There is nothing not to like about this game and it shows in every scene that ValvE has STILL GOT WHAT IT TAKES TO KICK ASS! (even thought they release a game like once a decade.)

At first your might think that they wonky robot that wakes you is a bad idea, but trust me he is awesome and everything fits PERFECTLY! (especially the potato, god I love that humor.)

I really want to say thank you to Valve and I did say thank you by buying this game for both my PS3 and on STEAM for a friend.

I did not want this experience to end, it was so much fun, especially by the time you get to the old aperture labs, and start hearing J.K. Simmons (Cave Johnson) with his unmatched, hilarious catch-22 wit. Cave johnson made this game for me!

This is the difference between a company like Valve (REAL GAMERS) and a company like EA (MONEY GRUBBING CORPORATE WHORES). Both can make an obscene amount of dough, but only one can get you off, Valve.

And now to rant - You see kids, EA hired Martin Sheen to voice act in ME2 and 3, because they are morons and don't know a damn thing about "atmosphere" EA did not re-hire the same guy who did the music from ME (big mistake). Martin Sheen is a very distinctive voice but it DOESN'T WORK, and the music from ME 2 and ME 3 is a complete re-hash of ME, but not nearly as complete as ME. There were more original and good tracks in ME than there were in ME2 and 3 combined. EA thinks that none of these things matter, that as long as the game box says "Mass Effect 3" you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a real BioWare game.

Valve is not like that. Portal 2 did not cut corners. The atmosphere is dripping with real, underground, inspired, artistic, and imaginative futuristic robot armageddon. The music and sound effects are not simply resampled from the first game and the voice acting is superb and perfectly matched to the game. And, its also a damn funny game. AND (big and here) IT IS FUN TO PLAY!

The mechanics are not boring, the puzzles are interesting, the game remains funny and fun and though provoking throughout the entire experience.

All I can say is that I loved this game and I am pre-ordering ANY game that ValvE does in house.

L4D = awesome
    HL2 = Awesome
    Portal = Awesome

I used to say, I wish every game was made by either Valve, Id, or Bethesda. I used to say that until Rage came out and Skyrim really did not innovate (skyrim was fun but it was not more than oblivion with better graphics in a different location. I put three hundred hours into Oblivion and I put 75 into Skyrim... it just was not innovative enough to retain my attention, been there done that in Oblivion).

Anyway, I'm rambling but the point is this. If you have not bought this game, buy it, end of story. I don't lie.
  72. Mar 6, 2012
    Best game I have ever played! Simply amazing! Fantastic game play and great story! The writing is hilarious and it really pulls you in! With the custom maps I have gotten hours of fun!
  73. Mar 6, 2012
    Portal 2 was a fantastic experience. It took the winning formula from the first iteration and improved it on every possible aspect.

It is much more aesthetically appealing than the first one, the puzzles are more inventive and fun and the storyline, even if not the most important aspect in a game like this, is entertaining provides some good laughs.
  74. Mar 4, 2012
    Portal 2 is brilliant cause it doesn't just have the same kinda layout as portal 1 and it is much more graphical and if you look closely at each scene there is much more going on than it seems
  75. Feb 27, 2012
    It's supremely easy to gush hyperbole over this game...with good reason. It's a rare thing for a game to be this funny and this beautiful and THIS involving and impossible to put down. It goes eons beyond what Portal 1 attempted to do...Portal 2- IT GOES TO 11!!!...if this scoring system could, that is...
  76. Feb 27, 2012
    Very good game.
    But it lacks some spirit from 1st Portal (just one small piece).
    Sarcastic, good looking and sounding.
    I love you, GLADOS! (thats why i kill you)
  77. Feb 16, 2012
    Portal 2 get's everything that made portal incredible, and builds upon it. Characters, the puzzles themselves, length, depth, and even originality of design. A lot of other game series do this successfully as well, however when a game based off an entirely original concept does it. It deserves even more praise. Masterpiece.
  78. Feb 12, 2012
    While i am playing i'm delighted with the humor . I completed portal 1 and can say this sequel is better in every aspect. It's good to see that there are still adult , fun games that make use of brains out there and not just shooting stuff.
  79. Jan 24, 2012
    A masterpiece and eclipses the first by some margin. Do video games get any better than this? Perfectly polished in every respect. There is a surfeit of dross around in the games market these days. Cynical iterations of the same old formula pumped out with nothing more in mind than fleecing the drones who need another fix of the same old rubbish. It's not difficult to sense the sheerA masterpiece and eclipses the first by some margin. Do video games get any better than this? Perfectly polished in every respect. There is a surfeit of dross around in the games market these days. Cynical iterations of the same old formula pumped out with nothing more in mind than fleecing the drones who need another fix of the same old rubbish. It's not difficult to sense the sheer amount of effort, innovation and creativity that the Portal 2 team poured into this gem. Simply brilliant. Expand
  80. Jan 20, 2012
    Breathtaking. The hilarious characters, the exciting puzzles, and the deep plotline make this game a must-have. The only thing I didn't like was the boss fight. It was way too easy, and almost exactly like the one from the original Portal, but much more obvious. However, other than this small detail, I think Portal 2 is a great game. Valve has done it again.
  81. Jan 18, 2012
    This is an awesome game, but it has it's own faults. It's got some nice brain-straining puzzles, but the lack of direction can mean an extreme amount of trial and error. Compared to the last game, Portal 2 seems a bit too long. The co-op is nice, but I would have liked to see a bit more customization options there. Still, a must buy if you don't already own it.
  82. Jan 15, 2012
    Absolutely amazing, can't wait to try the recent additions to co-op. It would be nice if some advanced maps show up eventually like on portal 1. That would add a lot to this game.
  83. Jan 10, 2012
    This game was incredible. Definitely the best 8 hours I've ever spent gaming. The story really holds you so tightly, there are moments where you laugh, where you are scared, sitting at the edge of your seat and when you stop breathing because you're so taken into the game. Everything is great from level design, to voice acting (which is simply stellar) to sound effects and visuals. YouThis game was incredible. Definitely the best 8 hours I've ever spent gaming. The story really holds you so tightly, there are moments where you laugh, where you are scared, sitting at the edge of your seat and when you stop breathing because you're so taken into the game. Everything is great from level design, to voice acting (which is simply stellar) to sound effects and visuals. You can't go wrong here, fantastic. 10/10 Expand
  84. Jan 8, 2012
    Ok. This game rocks, i expected more because of its predecessor PORTAL , and i'd wish if were more complex in some puzzles.
    The coop part is just great =) The price was a bit high at the launch, but now u can get this for less than 20 dollars.
    (advice: go pick it up! now...!!!)
  85. Jan 4, 2012
    This game is amazing. I originally bought the PS3 version, but in the end I just played the free PC version that came with it. It has great graphics, incredible gameplay, a hilarious, creative and well thought out story with some of the best dialogue I've ever seen, and some of the most challenging puzzles I've ever played. Portal 2 is a complete package. It never felt like it went on forThis game is amazing. I originally bought the PS3 version, but in the end I just played the free PC version that came with it. It has great graphics, incredible gameplay, a hilarious, creative and well thought out story with some of the best dialogue I've ever seen, and some of the most challenging puzzles I've ever played. Portal 2 is a complete package. It never felt like it went on for too long, and I didn't want the game to go any longer at the end. It finished just at the right time. The puzzles progressively got more challenging as the game went on and eventually the game got quite hard. Portal 2 had the most likeable cast of characters I've ever seen in a video game with Wheatley stealing the show as a little robot who you meet at the start of the game. The Co-op is a lot of fun too and it works so well because you actually have to work together to succeed. Call of Duty survival this is not. Portal 2 is just incredible and an absolute must buy. Expand
  86. Jan 3, 2012
    As a game, it's epic. Truly amazing. But as a sequel to Portal, it's a letdown. Great voice acting, spot-on humor, linear, moderately challenging puzzles, plenty of cute and fun moments, and a climax that made me scream at my computer screen for... epicness? Whatever it was, it was awesome. But the story's fed to you in this one like a regular game, as opposed to Portal's moreAs a game, it's epic. Truly amazing. But as a sequel to Portal, it's a letdown. Great voice acting, spot-on humor, linear, moderately challenging puzzles, plenty of cute and fun moments, and a climax that made me scream at my computer screen for... epicness? Whatever it was, it was awesome. But the story's fed to you in this one like a regular game, as opposed to Portal's more easter-egg-like hints. The plot is seamless, but formulaic. The twists are easily predicted, but still excite when they happen. And Chell, whose name was never even mentioned in the first game, becomes less of an in-game projection of the player, but a bit of a character herself. Not to mention the sexying her up by the developers (not complaining too much, she still has a bit of a harsh face, which I'm quite glad for. But that still doesn't discourage all the fan wanks, but now I'm on a tangent). My review, however, is only on the single player. I'll leave others for the co-op mode. Expand
  87. Jan 1, 2012
    Good game as expected. Very worth to be played. There were only 2 personal minus points for me. The first one was that while portal 1 managed to suggest the feeling to be somehow lost in its world, leave predesigned tracks, "freely" explore its world within certain limits and solve puzzles in very different ways. In portal 2 i somehow felt to be kept on the very very short lead. Second wasGood game as expected. Very worth to be played. There were only 2 personal minus points for me. The first one was that while portal 1 managed to suggest the feeling to be somehow lost in its world, leave predesigned tracks, "freely" explore its world within certain limits and solve puzzles in very different ways. In portal 2 i somehow felt to be kept on the very very short lead. Second was that i felt the architecture of the aperture science facilities to be out of touch with the half life universe. They tried to impress with ridiculous huge scales that do not seem to fit in anymore and damage its overal credibility. Expand
  88. Dec 31, 2011
    I got this game from a friend, played it on my PC. as soon as I hit that "start" button, I was addicted. This is certinly one of VALVe's best games. I like the music for credits, in fact I have gotten an mp3 for it. I'm also glad it wasn't bloody, I hate when my sisters look over my shoulder and see all the blood and gore, besides it disgusts me too. And my final statement of this gameI got this game from a friend, played it on my PC. as soon as I hit that "start" button, I was addicted. This is certinly one of VALVe's best games. I like the music for credits, in fact I have gotten an mp3 for it. I'm also glad it wasn't bloody, I hate when my sisters look over my shoulder and see all the blood and gore, besides it disgusts me too. And my final statement of this game "It's what marks the new standard of what a TRUE game should be." Expand
  89. Dec 30, 2011
    I loved this game it's even better than the first one. portal is defiantly my favorite game series and i hope valave makes portal 3. this game is amazing and the ending is awesome
  90. Dec 30, 2011
    This game was as long as it needed to be without overstaying it's welcome. Funny ,great puzzles , and a great new song by Jonathan Coulton. Then the addition of challenge maps , commentary on all levels with insight on the creation of the game , a Co-Op campaign , and Co-Op DLC just solidified this as one of Valve's Greatest
  91. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is fun but once you do all the levels its kinda B O R I N G so im hoping they add like a random map genorator thing for single player and multiplayer so that no1 can tell u how to do things and u never get bored cuz u completed the game overall i did like it i did
  92. Dec 28, 2011
    Quite simply, this is one of the best shooters and first person games ever made. There are so many clever ideas as well as the already brilliant portal gun. It's probably the biggest improvement seen in a sequel to its original ever. Everything is better than portal 1, more mechanics, more stellar voice acting (particularly from the hilarious Stephen Merchant as Wheatley) and a much deeperQuite simply, this is one of the best shooters and first person games ever made. There are so many clever ideas as well as the already brilliant portal gun. It's probably the biggest improvement seen in a sequel to its original ever. Everything is better than portal 1, more mechanics, more stellar voice acting (particularly from the hilarious Stephen Merchant as Wheatley) and a much deeper and interesting plot. The puzzles are complex yet always possible, making you feel like a science whizz at the end of each puzzle. The co-op is also a definate plus, one of the best co-op experiences available. Quite simply, this game is a masterpiece. Expand
  93. Dec 27, 2011
    This is a great game.Love the puzzles.Only thing concerning me that,it sometimes make me mad. :) The story is well based.Funny dialogues.Feels very good after every level.
  94. Dec 25, 2011
    This is my third review today and I've been quite positive as it is Christmas, but this game is without a doubt, the Best game of the year. I won't even talk about how great it is, it's simply made to perfection. Here are the top 4 games I recommend this year:

1. Portal 2
    2. Modern Warfare 3
    3. Skyrim
    4. Battlefield 3
  95. Dec 23, 2011
    Now that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically andNow that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically and in the complexity of the puzzles. Oftentimes I would be bashing my head up against the wall trying to pull off complex stunts like in Portal I, when the solution would be much less about reflexes and much more about strategy. Not to mention that the storyline and voice acting are top notch. This is a game that is nearly literature in its depth, where you will actually feel emotionally moved and interested in the backstory and in the characters. However I was moved by GLADOS in the first Portal, the sequel expands this greatly. Really, if I was ever going to complain it would have been to say that $50 + DLC costs is a high price to pay for such a short experience, but now that it is cheaper I would say that this is the perfect experience for the perfect price. Expand
  96. Dec 22, 2011
    The game builds onto the brilliant idea introduced in the first game, the portal gun, and finds new creative ways of using it. Instead of being as short as the original game, Portal 2 has about the same length as Half Life 2, and it is fun as hell along the whole way. An excellent game!
  97. Dec 21, 2011
    A really really good game, for me the best of 2011 ! I didn't like so much the first Portal, but this one is just... GREAT ! I loved the story, the new stuff, and of course the online mode ! The solo part is maybe too short, but I still giving this fabulous mark (I very rarely give).
  98. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a great game. The graphics are beautiful, the story is filled with dark humor, the voice acting is superb, and the puzzles are challenging. All in all, this is a fun and challenging experience worth the price.
  99. Dec 14, 2011
    There is a reason that Portal 2 got nominated for the 2011 Game of the Year. With a compelling storyline and more varied puzzles, this is a fitting sequel to what is likely the greatest experimental game of all time (which, if you haven't tried already, you should really pick up). Portal 2 comes back full-force with the blend of humor and dark mystery that made the original Portal such aThere is a reason that Portal 2 got nominated for the 2011 Game of the Year. With a compelling storyline and more varied puzzles, this is a fitting sequel to what is likely the greatest experimental game of all time (which, if you haven't tried already, you should really pick up). Portal 2 comes back full-force with the blend of humor and dark mystery that made the original Portal such a success. The amount of voice work that they put into it is astonishing as well, for such a linear game. I found myself oftentimes in a situation where I had to complete some action, but would refuse to do so, if only to hear the hilarious comments that my counterpart or some other character would make. Portal 2 is best experienced through a slow playthrough. Rush through it and you'll never get the full experience. But when you're finally done with the awesome single player mode, hop on into co-op with a friend (no, not a stranger, a friend). It is an incredible addition to an already incredible game and adds a new dynamic to "thinking with portals". Those "Aha!" moments that you strike will hit you twice as hard when you're cooperatively solving GLaDOS' devious tests. As a final note, I would also like to remind those reading that the DLC, entitled Peer Review, included an entirely new course with about nine new tests that, amazingly enough, was all free of charge. Valve is a company that I will stick with until the very end, if only for their generosity. Expand
  100. Dec 13, 2011
    This is NOT the best Valve game ever (that's Half-Life 2), but Portal 2 is still a DAMN GOOD GAME, pretty much brilliant I'd say. The levels are just challenging enough to make your brain really work but easy enough so that you don't get frustrated (with the exception of a couple of the later levels). The visuals aren't exactly ground-breaking but they're a HUGE improvement over the firstThis is NOT the best Valve game ever (that's Half-Life 2), but Portal 2 is still a DAMN GOOD GAME, pretty much brilliant I'd say. The levels are just challenging enough to make your brain really work but easy enough so that you don't get frustrated (with the exception of a couple of the later levels). The visuals aren't exactly ground-breaking but they're a HUGE improvement over the first Portal and they still look really good.
    Apart from the actual game play, the sound is where Portal 2 really hits the spot. Ellen McLain does a perfect job of voicing GLaDOS (the villain) and Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons are both very good in their roles as Wheatley and Cave Johnson. The music is mostly techno and changes pace and volume according to what you're doing in the game, and this just adds to the already well established atmosphere and feel of the game.
    Portal 2 is NOT a perfect game, but everything it has adds up to make an absolutely, positively brilliant one.

1. Oct 20, 2011