Portal 2 PC

8.8

1. Jun 9, 2012
    This is TOTALLY A GO! Very good story line, amazing AI(Artificial Intelligence), Amazing graphics, amazing art, very detailed puzzles, very good lighting style, its one of the best physics games out there! You cannot bypass this game! If you're the type that likes puzzle games, but yet have good story line, then this is the game for you. Valve really did good with this game.
  2. Jun 8, 2012
    There are few games that come around like Portal 2. A genius mechanic comes to an amazing mind, and is used the best ways one could. The people at Valve have created a game that topped any game I have ever played before in my entire life. The writing, graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, voice acting, lasting appeal and replay value; Portal 2 is a gem. A priceless gem. I just want toThere are few games that come around like Portal 2. A genius mechanic comes to an amazing mind, and is used the best ways one could. The people at Valve have created a game that topped any game I have ever played before in my entire life. The writing, graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, voice acting, lasting appeal and replay value; Portal 2 is a gem. A priceless gem. I just want to get this out there. We've all thought up of the idea of Portal befrore. Don't try to hide it. We've seen it on TV, thought about and made it funny when we were in 2nd grade, and it HAS been seen on shows like Looney Toons and Ed, Edd, n' Eddy. But none of us had put the concept into action. So when Valve did some observing, it hit them, and they created one of the greatest games ever made. Valve knows how to make a sequel. Other game deveelopers just decide to take the formula, and slap it onto the next game. But Portal does more than that. They added a beeter story, prettier graphics, and even made it funny. Valve knows how to make us feel good. They added Wheatley, one of the greatest characters ever to be apart of a video game. He is voiced excellently by british funny man Stephen Merchant, and I can't get enough of him. Sure, GLaDOS has some lines too, but Whetaley ultimatley steals the show. The classic portal gun is back, but 3 new mecahanics freshen up the experience. This time, there are 3 different gels to mess around with and help you finish the test chamber. The blue gell makes you bounce, the orange gell makes you speedy so you can fly off rails, and white gell allows you to shoot portals on previously portal resistant sufaces. Top that with excellent design an amazing difficulty curve and countless suprises in the chambers, you can't help but admire the beauty in it all. Since the events of Portal 1, aoerture science has been abandoned for decades, and there are a lot of green plants growing everywhere. GLaDOS will be moving panels, and tryong to clean the place up, and what she will do to try and kill you is unpredictable. You will not only hear GLaDOS and Wheatley throughout though. Even the narrator in aperture has things to say to you. The narrator is not always the same voice. I could be some one random, or it could be Cave Johnson, the founder of aperture himself. The variety is quit welcome. The puzzels themselves can have you thinking a lot. It's not trail and error here. It might look real hard at first, but yoiu'll never feel left behind because the difficulty increases at a steady rate throughout. The single player campagin can last about 5-7 hours, depending weather or not you rush. Then there's Co-Op. If you're friend is a socially stubborn douche, nothing will work out here. If someone just decides to stand in the corner and do nothing after an argument, you can't do anything. You HAVE to get along with your partner. It will take you thinking, team-work and trust to get through each chamber, and while it might stress you out sometimes, as the difficulty is tuned up, it is just as great as the campagin. Speaking of goin g through test chambers, that's the game's one problem. The loading screens pop up after every test chamber, change of enviorment and somtimes cutscene. They aren't too long, but they pop up frquenly, especially in the begining. But that won't stop Portal 2 from being one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life. It is so inventive and genius, you'll think about it for days. I don't understand why you're still reading this review. Go out and but Portal 2 NOW!!! You won't regret it. Expand
  3. Jun 6, 2012
    An Instant classic!
    Why you no have this game?!
    An Instant classic!
    Why you no have this game?!
    Have not played the single player but if it is at lest as good as the Co-Op it will be epic beyond all words. Get one of your friends and rock this Co-Op because if you do not your going to miss out on some high quality gaming goodness. IMPORTANT: This game is not a clone of anything. It is something truly original. Really original games are a rare thing today.

This requires critical thinking, true cooperation, problem solving and not only do you feel like you have learned something (Something rare in games as of late) but also you do not feel like you are over your head. This is mainly due to the clever uses of humor at just the right times. Also has something that you might not expect for a game like this....a plot that is well thought out. Not only in the Co-Op but also the single player game as well. Both the Single player and Co-Op have their own separate storylines so in short you have two games in one....kind of.

My point is BUY THIS GAME, it is worth your time and money.
    It is better over the first Portal.

Go get it now.
  4. Jun 1, 2012
    Good characters, well designed puzzles, good voice acting. Multiplayer was a fun new twist and was very refreshing after the singleplayer campaign. Biggest issues with the game stem from it being too short (20 hours with single+multi complete) and puzzles being relatively easy. Also no challenge maps was a bummer, but the steamworks player-made map thing has sated my desire for hard puzzles.
  5. May 30, 2012
    What can I say? I loved this game because it was funny, a worthy sequel and a truly enchanting experience. If you don't have this game, but you have the money, by all means get it. It's a beautiful visual journey that captures the history of Aperture Science and what could have been. There is charming music, as in the original. Charming? More like AWESOME. The only problem I had was thatWhat can I say? I loved this game because it was funny, a worthy sequel and a truly enchanting experience. If you don't have this game, but you have the money, by all means get it. It's a beautiful visual journey that captures the history of Aperture Science and what could have been. There is charming music, as in the original. Charming? More like AWESOME. The only problem I had was that the levels were either ridiculously hard or brain-splatteringly easy. There was no gentle increase, more like a sharp jolt. Expand
  6. May 24, 2012
    The humor is brilliant. I suggest to play Portal 1 as an intro for Portal 2. Co-op is simply brilliant and fun, especially the 'emotes' (the rock-paper-scissors made me laugh). Now with the Perpetual Testing Initiative it gets even more challenging.
  7. May 23, 2012
    Having never played the first Portal game, I played the first few levels of Portal 2 only for me to go back to the first Portal game and then finish Portal 2. I loved every step of the game and look forward to a possible Portal 3!
  8. May 22, 2012
    Simply the best game i played this year. Cool gameplay, mind blown, great storyline... everything is awesome except the truth that the story mode ends really fast, but since it have co-op mode, well who cares about how short the story is?! the main fun in this game is solving puzzles, with incredible portal gun, and you can enjoy it together with your dearest friend, and even you can makeSimply the best game i played this year. Cool gameplay, mind blown, great storyline... everything is awesome except the truth that the story mode ends really fast, but since it have co-op mode, well who cares about how short the story is?! the main fun in this game is solving puzzles, with incredible portal gun, and you can enjoy it together with your dearest friend, and even you can make the hardest puzzles yourself and let people try it. So what do you think? do i have to put lesser score just because it have short story line?? HELL NO! Expand
  9. May 21, 2012
    This is Portal plus a 1000 awesomes. Stephen Merchant is super funny as Wheatley and made me cry in laughter quite a bit. GLaDOS is as funny as ever and there are some great ideas thrown into this sequel. The story is pristine and the 7 to 8 hours you spend playing the story make up for the price. The game has replay-ability for sure and the puzzles like the first aren't to easy but not toThis is Portal plus a 1000 awesomes. Stephen Merchant is super funny as Wheatley and made me cry in laughter quite a bit. GLaDOS is as funny as ever and there are some great ideas thrown into this sequel. The story is pristine and the 7 to 8 hours you spend playing the story make up for the price. The game has replay-ability for sure and the puzzles like the first aren't to easy but not to hard either.
    MUST BUY!
  10. May 20, 2012
    One of the best games I ever played. It's fantastic and it's perfect. I used to hate this kind of games, but Portal 2 opened my mind to this fantastic world. And GlaDOS... I love you.
  11. May 20, 2012
    I thought Portal 2 was just wonderful. The humorous dialogue coupled with that "Aha!" feeling you get when you beat a puzzle made this game franchise the successful gold mine it is today. While it was noticeably less puzzle-y than the first one, the co-op more than made up for this game's lack of difficulty. The puzzles, especially in single-player, were more trying to find the onlyI thought Portal 2 was just wonderful. The humorous dialogue coupled with that "Aha!" feeling you get when you beat a puzzle made this game franchise the successful gold mine it is today. While it was noticeably less puzzle-y than the first one, the co-op more than made up for this game's lack of difficulty. The puzzles, especially in single-player, were more trying to find the only platform in the room you can place a portal on. This being Portal 2's only flaw in my opinion (and a minor one at that), I don't see any reason why this game shouldn't get a perfect 10/10.

Oh, and I also thought the single player ending (which I am not going to be giving away) was both innovative and spectacular.
  12. May 19, 2012
    The story is fun and humorous, the puzzles range from simplistic to diabolical, the characters are well fleshed-out, and the gameplay is absolutely engaging. A must-have.
  13. May 18, 2012
    Bought the duo-pack for 12$ on steam.
    BEST. PURCHASE. EVER!
    I love the game and had so much fun with my friend! especially over skype. Hoping for Portal 3
  14. May 18, 2012
    I cannot describe how much fun i had while playing this game, to all of you out there wondering if you should buy this game or not, let me tell you this, simply put, one of the greatest games ever made, everything is EXCELLENT, the sound, the story, the game play, the graphics, this is game is a MUST have.
  15. May 18, 2012
    Probably will be hailed as one of the most greatest puzzle game, Portal 2 is a breakthrough for the genre. The new features (such as the gels) and coop mode, upgrade the game to a whole new. Breakthrough within a breakthrough, Portal 2 will be remembered for years to come.
  16. May 17, 2012
    Incredible! You continue on with the play-ability of Portal add more variables, add better graphics, the evolution of AI, Physics, and It will take you to a world that is truly amazing! And the co-op is on a different scale. 10 on 10
  17. May 16, 2012
    For me this is perfection. Gameplay is inovative, fun, just fantastic. Maybe there should be more content, thats the only bad thing. The ending is perfect, voice acting, story. SOmething every other game could only dream of having .
  18. May 16, 2012
    Game is brilliant. You have to think, you have deep climate and smart humour. Playing Portal 2 I had some minor irritations (a brief feeling of being forced into prolonged series of tests, generally against the plot, just to make game-play longer), but I instantly forget them just when the outstandingly high level of humour appeared again and again and again... :D Sentenced like "BitGame is brilliant. You have to think, you have deep climate and smart humour. Playing Portal 2 I had some minor irritations (a brief feeling of being forced into prolonged series of tests, generally against the plot, just to make game-play longer), but I instantly forget them just when the outstandingly high level of humour appeared again and again and again... :D Sentenced like "Bit bigger than I expected. Not going to be able to just, you know, push it over. Have to apply some cleverness" or "I'm in space" are just unforgettable :D And the ending... OH. MY. GOD. :D

Cant wait for Portal 3!
  19. May 15, 2012
    A Great game with some of the best voice acting performances I have ever seen or heard. The only blemish on this game is the fairly useless co-op (perhaps they will allow people to build co-op levels?) and the game feeling like an extended edition of Portal 1 with the mid section of the game dragging the game down a bit. But still, an overall fantastic game. And with the map editor nowA Great game with some of the best voice acting performances I have ever seen or heard. The only blemish on this game is the fairly useless co-op (perhaps they will allow people to build co-op levels?) and the game feeling like an extended edition of Portal 1 with the mid section of the game dragging the game down a bit. But still, an overall fantastic game. And with the map editor now released has endless play for those that love puzzles. Expand
  20. May 14, 2012
    Great to see the second installment of Portal became a full priced game, a great one at that. Portal 2 is simply a well executed game just like many others from Valve. The game stayed true from the first, advancing the puzzles and increasing the game life with a longer campaign and multiplayer modes. A separate Co-op campaign was another great feature. The game features great voice acting,Great to see the second installment of Portal became a full priced game, a great one at that. Portal 2 is simply a well executed game just like many others from Valve. The game stayed true from the first, advancing the puzzles and increasing the game life with a longer campaign and multiplayer modes. A separate Co-op campaign was another great feature. The game features great voice acting, memorable characters, the famous puzzles and great atmosphere. Portal 2 both lives up to the hype and proves itself as an amazing sequel. Expand
  21. May 12, 2012
    Portal 2 may be the most intresting game I've played, very, as anyone else said, innovating, but before getting it make sure you understand its a PUZZLE game. It has the same game mechanic as Half Life 2 and is even located in the same universe but sometimes I get the feeling the steam trying to sell it as a FPS which it is not- But if you put that aside, its a brilliant game with veryPortal 2 may be the most intresting game I've played, very, as anyone else said, innovating, but before getting it make sure you understand its a PUZZLE game. It has the same game mechanic as Half Life 2 and is even located in the same universe but sometimes I get the feeling the steam trying to sell it as a FPS which it is not- But if you put that aside, its a brilliant game with very nice puzzles, Just don't think you can play it twice or more, because the puzzles remain the same and even through the game offers "challenges" this is just a very cheap trick to make the game seem bigger then it is, because there is no point in the world to race in beating puzzles you have completed already. The Co-Op is brilliant, just make sure you make it with someone you know who haven't done it already, and like the single player don't bother re-playing puzzles unless your joy in the world is pretending the be smarter then you are by playing puzzles you know how to solve.

The best figure of the game in my opinion is the in-games joke. The characters of Cave Johnson, GLADOS, and whitley are brilliantly funny. The only reason to play the game again is to listen to jokes you've missed. Just watch the game teasers if you want to know what I am talking about.

I would have given this game 6 for being relatively short and unreplayable (Relatively to his price) but steam has finally added to the game what it should have had from the release- the Portal 2 workshop which pretty much solves the "I have dont with this game anything I could" Problem. The game is now being reinforced freely by everyone who wants to and the result is much more puzzles in any difficulty level you desire (Meaning Hard puzzles. No one admit wanting a easy one). Since every week new puzzles are added the game will now stay relevant as long as people imagination will, which makes me pretty optimistic. Shame the haven't done it from the start. But at least they added few jokes, which are like a very nice prize for completing a new puzzle.
  22. May 12, 2012
    Portal 2 is amazing. There's not really any other way to describe it. The people that are complaining that it sucks either: 1) Are retarded, 2) Mistakenly thought the this was Portal: The Flash Version, 3) Are addicted to FPS, or 4) Are retarded. The only real complaint I can come up with is... um... the.. well... you see... the loading screens come up to often! Yeah! I don't want to havePortal 2 is amazing. There's not really any other way to describe it. The people that are complaining that it sucks either: 1) Are retarded, 2) Mistakenly thought the this was Portal: The Flash Version, 3) Are addicted to FPS, or 4) Are retarded. The only real complaint I can come up with is... um... the.. well... you see... the loading screens come up to often! Yeah! I don't want to have to wait 7 seconds between each puzzle, I want to keep playing! Yeah... Seriously though, this game is the funniest, most addicting, interesting, thinking, game in the world. It runs smoothly too! My 3 year old laptop with an Intel graphics card and a Core 2 Duo ran this without a hitch, even if it was on minimum graphics mode. This is impressive because the graphics card crashes when I watch a YouTube video at 360p full screen. I'm not kidding. Especially since it's only $7 (at the time of this writing), there is no reason you shouldn't get it. Expand
  23. May 11, 2012
    Portal 2, Game of the Year, and a must purchase.
    Portal 2, Game of the Year, and a must purchase.
    I find it so frustrating to see people putting scores in the mixed and negative end of the spectrum for reasons such as not appreciating the humour, or finding the game not aimed at their demographic. While I understand all reviews are going to be somewhat subjective are people really that incapable of understanding that if a game has to be based on what everyone likes then we are just going to have games that are half decent at everything instead of amazing at just a few things?

How about recognising Portal 2's extension upon Portal's brilliance, how it took a game, so close to perfection and blew everyone's minds into oblivion when they developed a game that completely rewrote how perfection should be perceived. That is what the developers have done here. As a game enthusiast - but not a true gamer, I have great respect for a developer who develops behind the doors, responding little to the push and shove of corporate media and hungry investors, or the manipulative maneuvers of the gaming audience whom wish for nothing but a game designed just for them.

Portal 1 was the true baby of the developers at Valve, and Portal 2 is what happens when the baby grows up into a full game. A laundry list of intuitive and complex puzzles, a handful of interesting and engaging characters and possibly the most rewarding gameplay that I have experienced from a single player in my lengthy 20 year gaming career.

Completing each puzzle at first seems like a struggle, there is a moment where you think to yourself "How am I supposed to do this?" this is the moment where most games of today hold your hand unashamedly; deterring you from being intellectually challenged or even challenged at all. Not Portal 2, Portal 2 has a great set of tutorial levels at the start that provide story, structure and a learning curve that many developers could aspire to... copy. Not tiring for even the greatest of gamers these initial levels introduce the many facets of Portal gameplay for the new and experienced and get everyone ready for the challenges ahead. I never felt like I was drowning because of not being told about a certain aspect of a puzzle room - as each puzzle was cleverly marked with particular coloured panels that were capable of interacting with certain devices, such as your portal gun; however at the same time I was always challenged to work out how I could use the set of devices to complete a certain objective.

All of the above is as true of co-op as it is in single player, but co-op just takes the cake (and makes it a lie). The cooperative experience here is as refined as any you would find in any game that ever existed, a great length and a great many puzzles, the same tutorial level structure that you experience in the singleplayer but to get you comfortable with having 4 portals and 2 people involved in the puzzle - as well as challenging 2 minds at the same time.

If there is anything bad about this game, it's that some people unfortunately cannot see it's greatness.
  24. May 10, 2012
    I didn't expect that the sequel to Portal would be as nice as the original but in fact it was better. I enjoyed every bit of the story, the amazing end and most importantly the ability to play online with other people!
  25. May 10, 2012
    So good. The whole game I was chuckling at the silly narration. However, that silly talk and the two characters we listened to actually ended up really pulling me into the story. I only realized this when the game was almost over. Very well done to tell me a story and get me involved without me even knowing it. I am already replaying the game again, love the ending sequence.
  26. May 10, 2012
    For me is Portal 2 one of the best game ever. Intelligent, funny and when you play it with your friend in CO-OP mode, that's something unforgettable!
  27. May 9, 2012
    Portal 2 is simply the best game of the Valve, and It's the best game I ever player. It is clever, funny and a masterpiece. Following the story of the previous game, It haves even better plot than the first Portal game. And the original technology of Aperture Science is even better with some new turrets and mechanics. It haves even the Co- op mode which is even better because of thePortal 2 is simply the best game of the Valve, and It's the best game I ever player. It is clever, funny and a masterpiece. Following the story of the previous game, It haves even better plot than the first Portal game. And the original technology of Aperture Science is even better with some new turrets and mechanics. It haves even the Co- op mode which is even better because of the teamwork, it makes the game more fun. Expand
  28. May 5, 2012
    Excellent, amazing, wonderful. It gave me more fun that any other game. I recommend you to play co-op with foreigners or at least people you don't know.
  29. May 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is really just ONE thing, thats not awesome about this game. Spoiler: you die when you fall off the track. Whats the purpose of long-fall-boots again? just save you when its good with the progress? But then on the other hand: deep holes might also include spikes. and you are not save from them. Besides that: falling of the track is not the common way to die in Portal2. That would be shot through (adorable) turrets. Or get grilled by lasers. Falling of is just... stupid. It really doesn´t happen if you just take a little bit attention. And the rest of the game is just... perfect. Expand
  30. May 4, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. The only issue I have with it is that it lags on my computer. It seems you need a really good computer to play this game. But thats Valve games for you.
  31. Apr 26, 2012
    One of the best games i've played and the best Valve game ever. The soundtrack and history is amazing and Gameplay is revolucionary. Congratulations, Valve! You make one of the best games ever
  32. Apr 25, 2012
    I didn't play the first Portal until early 2012, but it didn't take long to see that the Portal-games are of excellent quality.

The first game is great, but Portal 2 is a really polished version, with the best humor I've seen in a game all my life. The history is great, the puzzle are challenging - but not too challenging.

10/10 from me!
  33. Apr 22, 2012
    I've never been a puzzle games fun but i can say i regretted not buying it sooner, anyway as the previous Portal this game will reveal a lot of secrets hidden inside Aperture, be ready to more puzzles then you imagine !
    Also you will enjoy the amazing storyline while doing science !
  34. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to admit, I didn't have the slightest interest in playing portal 2 when it came it, mostly because it is a puzzle game, which I don't seem to buy into along with RPG's. After getting the Orange Box (including the original portal) and Skyrim and being proved wrong in both areas, I got P2 anyway. This may sound a bit fanboyish, but Portal 2 is perhaps the best game I've ever played: seemlessly mixing a well-told storyline plus a meaty co-op mode, I don't think I've ever had this much fun playing a video game. The puzzles are simple, but satisfying to solve and the characters remain endearing no matter what plot twists might occur. Then I had to put it down about 6 hours later, because I had finished it: don't get me wrong though, it was a perfect length, any longer and it would've just been more flabby than meaty, and I've still got about 75% of the co-op to play through. I throughly recommend this, along with every other valve title. I guess after saying that, I'll have to go play Left 4 Dead to prove my assumptions wrong again. Expand
  35. peb
    Apr 18, 2012
    I'm bothered by people who say this game is not as good as the first due to "lack of cake" or new characters. The reason why this game is at least as good as the first is that it takes enough from the previous universe without running those old memes into the ground (i.e. cake) and expands it credibly without overstretching. I'm not a fan of humorous sidekicks in games but to me WheatleyI'm bothered by people who say this game is not as good as the first due to "lack of cake" or new characters. The reason why this game is at least as good as the first is that it takes enough from the previous universe without running those old memes into the ground (i.e. cake) and expands it credibly without overstretching. I'm not a fan of humorous sidekicks in games but to me Wheatley is undoubtedly the funniest sidekick ever. Yes, ever. The universe created here is outrageous but also rich with detail that the 1st game wasn't long enough to satisfy. This was by far the best game in 2011 and is up there with another Valve classic, Half-Life 2, as the best game they've ever done. Expand
  36. Apr 15, 2012
    Adds some cool new elements to portal and many new possibilities through the new coop mode. But the maps are way too easy compared to the first part. Nevertheless a must have!
  37. Apr 9, 2012
    This was a great edition to the epic adventure that the first game created. It brings a follow on story that got me playing right to the end I was completely addicted. Also the addition of a Multiplayer gave a whole new scene of worth to the game. If you got the PC version brings a great new library of amazing custom maps. Valve realized that to get some longevity to the game they wouldThis was a great edition to the epic adventure that the first game created. It brings a follow on story that got me playing right to the end I was completely addicted. Also the addition of a Multiplayer gave a whole new scene of worth to the game. If you got the PC version brings a great new library of amazing custom maps. Valve realized that to get some longevity to the game they would need some support and support the game they did. I do give this game a high rating but again it's more of the same it's amazing but it should end where it is, beating a dead horse comes to mind for this game if it where to continue so well done Valve and keep innovating. Do I recommend this game yes but once again get it on the console so you will have a chance to return it if it doesn't meet your fancy. However it's much better on the PC with custom maps adding extra hours to the game. Expand
  38. Apr 7, 2012
    Games that completely stimulates your mind are a rarity these days. When Portal came out, it was unlike anything I played. Portal 2 completely realises what Portal have achieved and expanded it into a full scale, mind boggling experience. Portal 2 is a one of a kind game. The simple controls, ingenious game mechanics, humorous storyline and overall mental satisfaction makes this game oneGames that completely stimulates your mind are a rarity these days. When Portal came out, it was unlike anything I played. Portal 2 completely realises what Portal have achieved and expanded it into a full scale, mind boggling experience. Portal 2 is a one of a kind game. The simple controls, ingenious game mechanics, humorous storyline and overall mental satisfaction makes this game one of my favourites. Expand
  39. Apr 3, 2012
    Portal 2 is amazing. the campaign's humour and direction gripped me from the start and i have to say that this is the funniest and most challenging game of 2011.
  40. Apr 2, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game because it's bigger than the original and also with new features. But I prefer the original because I think the ending was not very good and the character Weathley (the robot that appears at the beginning of the game) made the game seem childish, because Weathley is very similar to those robots you see in Disney movies.
    But even so, I consider this a nice game.
  41. Mar 30, 2012
    Truly a masterpiece, like its predecessor.
    Imho Portal 2 lives up to the expectations of Portal, which tells a lot, actually.
    Truly a masterpiece, like its predecessor.
    With Portal 2, Valve manages to introduces new chunks of story, new characters (and the actors who voices the new characters like Wheatley and Cave Johnson did a SUPERB job), new interetisting mechanics and fun puzzles and it's also longer than Portal, but not the 'boring long', just enough to keep the player entertained without becoming boring (and you will probably want to replay it at least a couple of times more) . Definitely a must have.
  42. Mar 25, 2012
    I really did not think that they could improve over the first Portal game, but let me tell you... I was so very wrong. Portal 2 improves on almost everything that the first one did right and touches you in a way that you never imagined your Weighted Companion Cube could.
  43. Mar 23, 2012
    the game is amazing. the ending blew me away. the graphics are awesome! i dont know why people are bashing the graphics, when it looks amazing. the gameplay is something to behold, and something..... original. something that some games these days are lacking.
  44. Mar 22, 2012
    I really enjoyed it. I don't know why, but I feel like Valve was "milking" the Portal franchise after the success of the first game. I also think it lacks the simplicity of the first game with new stuff, such as the gels and the "deeper" story. Still very enjoyable though.
  45. Mar 21, 2012
    whats good about this game its original its challenging and very dynamic also has great humor one of the best valve games yet oh and only 9.99 at steam :D
  46. Mar 19, 2012
    Very good game and improvements over Portal due to better graphics, more complex maps, and a better plot. The newly added features such as gels and coop modes really made the game much better to play. However, I took one mark off for day-one dlcs.
  47. Mar 15, 2012
    First non RPG or strategy game I have ever played that captivated me. I am normally very hostile to games that do not make you think, this is the first non RPG or strategy game that this was not true about. I have bought this game as a diversion, not a challenge but I changed my mind as soon as I started playing it. Even the story is good, what is very unusual for such a game. One word toFirst non RPG or strategy game I have ever played that captivated me. I am normally very hostile to games that do not make you think, this is the first non RPG or strategy game that this was not true about. I have bought this game as a diversion, not a challenge but I changed my mind as soon as I started playing it. Even the story is good, what is very unusual for such a game. One word to describe it: Amazing Expand
  48. Mar 13, 2012
    The thing that really separates Valve from other studios is that they have no time or resource constraints. Much like when artists are creating masterpieces, Valve has the absolute freedom to take as much time as it wants, and do whatever it wants with the game it's developing. Although other studios like Bethesda and Blizzard are pretty close to Valve in their approach to development,The thing that really separates Valve from other studios is that they have no time or resource constraints. Much like when artists are creating masterpieces, Valve has the absolute freedom to take as much time as it wants, and do whatever it wants with the game it's developing. Although other studios like Bethesda and Blizzard are pretty close to Valve in their approach to development, Valve games just have that extra something that pushes them past those two studios. It's a mix of absolutely flawless execution, immaculate scriptwriting, and sophistication of concepts. The close integration of these three factors in Valve games reminds me a lot of Apple and its products. Except in terms of what values they stand for, Valve is the polar opposite of the greedy Apple Inc. It just can't get any better. Now, going into a little more detail, the story of Portal 2 was actually a slight disappointment for me, as it just didn't have that subtle genius we saw in half life 2 or portal 1. It seemed A) little dumbed down for the console crowd (unlikely) OR B) somewhat hastily put together because of Valve's shuffling story ideas around before they got set on a definite path (They scrapped the original Portal 2 a year into its development I believe, and started over to make the current version). But besides that, the gameplay, map design, voicework, and set pieces -everything else, basically- is pure genius. It's just so damned creative that it boggles your mind. I give this game a 9.5 but unfortunately metacritic does not allow decimal scores, so I give it a 10, because it's definitely not a 9 point game as some would have you believe. There's really nothing else for me to say other than that you really need to play this game. It's one of the experiences that will define gaming history forever. Expand
  49. Mar 13, 2012
    Great game. Perhaps one of the best in 2011. Great voice, decent graphics and good storyline. So cool. By the way, be sure to check titles. I would also like to note co-op mode. It became decisive in the choice of purchase.
  50. Mar 10, 2012
    From a free game meant to test players reaction to a full sequel that ended up as one of the best, original and inovative games ever made: this is Portal (2)! I wouldn't go as far as naming it the best game made by Valve, but i would put these two together next to the first Half-Life anytime. Story and voice acting at their best, no cheesy moment, and emotionally engaging (especially atFrom a free game meant to test players reaction to a full sequel that ended up as one of the best, original and inovative games ever made: this is Portal (2)! I wouldn't go as far as naming it the best game made by Valve, but i would put these two together next to the first Half-Life anytime. Story and voice acting at their best, no cheesy moment, and emotionally engaging (especially at the end), this game was destined to become a cult game from the start. Expand
  51. Mar 7, 2012
    Good sequel to a great game. I can't say I was bedazzled by Portal 2 since the core fundamentals haven't changed from the original game, but there are a few new elements which introduce some cool twists to the puzzles. The ending was indeed lunacy--WOW. Without giving anything away, it is simply an ending worth experiencing. The coop is great fun too. If you enjoyed the first Portal,Good sequel to a great game. I can't say I was bedazzled by Portal 2 since the core fundamentals haven't changed from the original game, but there are a few new elements which introduce some cool twists to the puzzles. The ending was indeed lunacy--WOW. Without giving anything away, it is simply an ending worth experiencing. The coop is great fun too. If you enjoyed the first Portal, playing this one is a no-brainer--it is very much the same, only better. Expand
  52. Mar 7, 2012
    Portal 2 is absolutely incredible from start to finish. There is nothing not to like about this game and it shows in every scene that ValvE has STILL GOT WHAT IT TAKES TO KICK ASS! (even thought they release a game like once a decade.)

At first your might think that they wonky robot that wakes you is a bad idea, but trust me he is awesome and everything fits PERFECTLY! (especially the potato, god I love that humor.)

I really want to say thank you to Valve and I did say thank you by buying this game for both my PS3 and on STEAM for a friend.

I did not want this experience to end, it was so much fun, especially by the time you get to the old aperture labs, and start hearing J.K. Simmons (Cave Johnson) with his unmatched, hilarious catch-22 wit. Cave johnson made this game for me!

This is the difference between a company like Valve (REAL GAMERS) and a company like EA (MONEY GRUBBING CORPORATE WHORES). Both can make an obscene amount of dough, but only one can get you off, Valve.

And now to rant - You see kids, EA hired Martin Sheen to voice act in ME2 and 3, because they are morons and don't know a damn thing about "atmosphere" EA did not re-hire the same guy who did the music from ME (big mistake). Martin Sheen is a very distinctive voice but it DOESN'T WORK, and the music from ME 2 and ME 3 is a complete re-hash of ME, but not nearly as complete as ME. There were more original and good tracks in ME than there were in ME2 and 3 combined. EA thinks that none of these things matter, that as long as the game box says "Mass Effect 3" you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a real BioWare game.

Valve is not like that. Portal 2 did not cut corners. The atmosphere is dripping with real, underground, inspired, artistic, and imaginative futuristic robot armageddon. The music and sound effects are not simply resampled from the first game and the voice acting is superb and perfectly matched to the game. And, its also a damn funny game. AND (big and here) IT IS FUN TO PLAY!

The mechanics are not boring, the puzzles are interesting, the game remains funny and fun and though provoking throughout the entire experience.

All I can say is that I loved this game and I am pre-ordering ANY game that ValvE does in house.

L4D = awesome
    HL2 = Awesome
    Portal = Awesome

I used to say, I wish every game was made by either Valve, Id, or Bethesda. I used to say that until Rage came out and Skyrim really did not innovate (skyrim was fun but it was not more than oblivion with better graphics in a different location. I put three hundred hours into Oblivion and I put 75 into Skyrim... it just was not innovative enough to retain my attention, been there done that in Oblivion).

Anyway, I'm rambling but the point is this. If you have not bought this game, buy it, end of story. I don't lie.
  53. Mar 6, 2012
    Best game I have ever played! Simply amazing! Fantastic game play and great story! The writing is hilarious and it really pulls you in! With the custom maps I have gotten hours of fun!
  54. Mar 6, 2012
    If you read my Portal 2 review (highly doubt it, but recommend it), I complained about the cussing, the endless, no reason, cussing (only a couple times, but still). It continues! Love the game! Love the concept! hate the cussing! No this time glados get's even harsher, this one is even harder to recommend because of multi-player! Com-chatting online anything can happen. So I was sad aboutIf you read my Portal 2 review (highly doubt it, but recommend it), I complained about the cussing, the endless, no reason, cussing (only a couple times, but still). It continues! Love the game! Love the concept! hate the cussing! No this time glados get's even harsher, this one is even harder to recommend because of multi-player! Com-chatting online anything can happen. So I was sad about that part, but I still love it! play it a lot, and want to get a space suit next time! Expand
  55. Mar 6, 2012
    Portal 2 was a fantastic experience. It took the winning formula from the first iteration and improved it on every possible aspect.

It is much more aesthetically appealing than the first one, the puzzles are more inventive and fun and the storyline, even if not the most important aspect in a game like this, is entertaining provides some good laughs.
  56. Mar 4, 2012
    Portal 2 is brilliant cause it doesn't just have the same kinda layout as portal 1 and it is much more graphical and if you look closely at each scene there is much more going on than it seems
  57. Feb 27, 2012
    It's supremely easy to gush hyperbole over this game...with good reason. It's a rare thing for a game to be this funny and this beautiful and THIS involving and impossible to put down. It goes eons beyond what Portal 1 attempted to do...Portal 2- IT GOES TO 11!!!...if this scoring system could, that is...
  58. Feb 27, 2012
    Very good game.
    But it lacks some spirit from 1st Portal (just one small piece).
    Sarcastic, good looking and sounding.
    I love you, GLADOS! (thats why i kill you)
  59. Feb 21, 2012
    I was very desappointed by the end of the game. Of course, the art direction is good, the puzzles are very clever made and the voice acting wont disappoint either, but it gets too bored, vey linear and repetitive, also it has a very small cast, so by the you get to the end, you will pratically want them to shut up.
  60. Feb 20, 2012
    After playing the original, this felt kind of redundant. They didn't really introduce much new stuff - the 1st Portal was throwing new ideas on solving puzzles at you all the time, but I think they ran out. I guess you can only do so much with portals. The gel was kind of a neat idea and did serve for some slightly creative thinking - but the experience felt a little too tightened, andAfter playing the original, this felt kind of redundant. They didn't really introduce much new stuff - the 1st Portal was throwing new ideas on solving puzzles at you all the time, but I think they ran out. I guess you can only do so much with portals. The gel was kind of a neat idea and did serve for some slightly creative thinking - but the experience felt a little too tightened, and never did I find myself stumped or challenged on any of the puzzles. Most of them were at most .. tedious. Pretty cool game overall. I enjoyed the commentary from Cave Johnson, the mix of humor and the new music was VERY nice. It was fun solving puzzles with my friend, and especially fun throwing him into pits, crushing him, and killing him in every other imaginable manner possible. Ohhh the joy of backstabbing.. dirty blue robot. Expand
  61. Feb 16, 2012
    Portal 2 get's everything that made portal incredible, and builds upon it. Characters, the puzzles themselves, length, depth, and even originality of design. A lot of other game series do this successfully as well, however when a game based off an entirely original concept does it. It deserves even more praise. Masterpiece.
  62. Feb 12, 2012
    While i am playing i'm delighted with the humor . I completed portal 1 and can say this sequel is better in every aspect. It's good to see that there are still adult , fun games that make use of brains out there and not just shooting stuff.
  63. Feb 2, 2012
    I dont think this game is particularly amazing, it obviously draws alot from the first game and tries to keep it fresh but whilst playing it I wasnt particuarly keen to keep playing more to just get to the end and be done with it. It is long enough defininetly but heres my issues with it: The 'old' sections get boring fast, I feel they could of made that section so much better. TheI dont think this game is particularly amazing, it obviously draws alot from the first game and tries to keep it fresh but whilst playing it I wasnt particuarly keen to keep playing more to just get to the end and be done with it. It is long enough defininetly but heres my issues with it: The 'old' sections get boring fast, I feel they could of made that section so much better. The introduction of gels ruins the experience for me, it just doesnt fit into the flow of the game and it seems they were added as they ran out of things to do with blocks and portals. The plot in general is not that good..... but despite this it is still a worthy game just not incredible and most definitely not GOTY. Expand
  64. Jan 24, 2012
    A masterpiece and eclipses the first by some margin. Do video games get any better than this? Perfectly polished in every respect. There is a surfeit of dross around in the games market these days. Cynical iterations of the same old formula pumped out with nothing more in mind than fleecing the drones who need another fix of the same old rubbish. It's not difficult to sense the sheerA masterpiece and eclipses the first by some margin. Do video games get any better than this? Perfectly polished in every respect. There is a surfeit of dross around in the games market these days. Cynical iterations of the same old formula pumped out with nothing more in mind than fleecing the drones who need another fix of the same old rubbish. It's not difficult to sense the sheer amount of effort, innovation and creativity that the Portal 2 team poured into this gem. Simply brilliant. Expand
  65. Jan 20, 2012
    Breathtaking. The hilarious characters, the exciting puzzles, and the deep plotline make this game a must-have. The only thing I didn't like was the boss fight. It was way too easy, and almost exactly like the one from the original Portal, but much more obvious. However, other than this small detail, I think Portal 2 is a great game. Valve has done it again.
  66. Jan 18, 2012
    This is an awesome game, but it has it's own faults. It's got some nice brain-straining puzzles, but the lack of direction can mean an extreme amount of trial and error. Compared to the last game, Portal 2 seems a bit too long. The co-op is nice, but I would have liked to see a bit more customization options there. Still, a must buy if you don't already own it.
  67. Jan 15, 2012
    Absolutely amazing, can't wait to try the recent additions to co-op. It would be nice if some advanced maps show up eventually like on portal 1. That would add a lot to this game.
  68. Jan 10, 2012
    This game was incredible. Definitely the best 8 hours I've ever spent gaming. The story really holds you so tightly, there are moments where you laugh, where you are scared, sitting at the edge of your seat and when you stop breathing because you're so taken into the game. Everything is great from level design, to voice acting (which is simply stellar) to sound effects and visuals. YouThis game was incredible. Definitely the best 8 hours I've ever spent gaming. The story really holds you so tightly, there are moments where you laugh, where you are scared, sitting at the edge of your seat and when you stop breathing because you're so taken into the game. Everything is great from level design, to voice acting (which is simply stellar) to sound effects and visuals. You can't go wrong here, fantastic. 10/10 Expand
  69. Jan 8, 2012
    Ok. This game rocks, i expected more because of its predecessor PORTAL , and i'd wish if were more complex in some puzzles.
    The coop part is just great =) The price was a bit high at the launch, but now u can get this for less than 20 dollars.
    (advice: go pick it up! now...!!!)
  70. Jan 4, 2012
    This game is amazing. I originally bought the PS3 version, but in the end I just played the free PC version that came with it. It has great graphics, incredible gameplay, a hilarious, creative and well thought out story with some of the best dialogue I've ever seen, and some of the most challenging puzzles I've ever played. Portal 2 is a complete package. It never felt like it went on forThis game is amazing. I originally bought the PS3 version, but in the end I just played the free PC version that came with it. It has great graphics, incredible gameplay, a hilarious, creative and well thought out story with some of the best dialogue I've ever seen, and some of the most challenging puzzles I've ever played. Portal 2 is a complete package. It never felt like it went on for too long, and I didn't want the game to go any longer at the end. It finished just at the right time. The puzzles progressively got more challenging as the game went on and eventually the game got quite hard. Portal 2 had the most likeable cast of characters I've ever seen in a video game with Wheatley stealing the show as a little robot who you meet at the start of the game. The Co-op is a lot of fun too and it works so well because you actually have to work together to succeed. Call of Duty survival this is not. Portal 2 is just incredible and an absolute must buy. Expand
  71. Jan 3, 2012
    As a game, it's epic. Truly amazing. But as a sequel to Portal, it's a letdown. Great voice acting, spot-on humor, linear, moderately challenging puzzles, plenty of cute and fun moments, and a climax that made me scream at my computer screen for... epicness? Whatever it was, it was awesome. But the story's fed to you in this one like a regular game, as opposed to Portal's moreAs a game, it's epic. Truly amazing. But as a sequel to Portal, it's a letdown. Great voice acting, spot-on humor, linear, moderately challenging puzzles, plenty of cute and fun moments, and a climax that made me scream at my computer screen for... epicness? Whatever it was, it was awesome. But the story's fed to you in this one like a regular game, as opposed to Portal's more easter-egg-like hints. The plot is seamless, but formulaic. The twists are easily predicted, but still excite when they happen. And Chell, whose name was never even mentioned in the first game, becomes less of an in-game projection of the player, but a bit of a character herself. Not to mention the sexying her up by the developers (not complaining too much, she still has a bit of a harsh face, which I'm quite glad for. But that still doesn't discourage all the fan wanks, but now I'm on a tangent). My review, however, is only on the single player. I'll leave others for the co-op mode. Expand
  72. Jan 1, 2012
    Good game as expected. Very worth to be played. There were only 2 personal minus points for me. The first one was that while portal 1 managed to suggest the feeling to be somehow lost in its world, leave predesigned tracks, "freely" explore its world within certain limits and solve puzzles in very different ways. In portal 2 i somehow felt to be kept on the very very short lead. Second wasGood game as expected. Very worth to be played. There were only 2 personal minus points for me. The first one was that while portal 1 managed to suggest the feeling to be somehow lost in its world, leave predesigned tracks, "freely" explore its world within certain limits and solve puzzles in very different ways. In portal 2 i somehow felt to be kept on the very very short lead. Second was that i felt the architecture of the aperture science facilities to be out of touch with the half life universe. They tried to impress with ridiculous huge scales that do not seem to fit in anymore and damage its overal credibility. Expand
  73. Dec 31, 2011
    I got this game from a friend, played it on my PC. as soon as I hit that "start" button, I was addicted. This is certinly one of VALVe's best games. I like the music for credits, in fact I have gotten an mp3 for it. I'm also glad it wasn't bloody, I hate when my sisters look over my shoulder and see all the blood and gore, besides it disgusts me too. And my final statement of this gameI got this game from a friend, played it on my PC. as soon as I hit that "start" button, I was addicted. This is certinly one of VALVe's best games. I like the music for credits, in fact I have gotten an mp3 for it. I'm also glad it wasn't bloody, I hate when my sisters look over my shoulder and see all the blood and gore, besides it disgusts me too. And my final statement of this game "It's what marks the new standard of what a TRUE game should be." Expand
  74. Dec 30, 2011
    I loved this game it's even better than the first one. portal is defiantly my favorite game series and i hope valave makes portal 3. this game is amazing and the ending is awesome
  75. Dec 30, 2011
    The singular fun of the Portal series is the mischief value of a portal gun. You can use it because you're too lazy to run down a hall, you can use it to dump your enemies onto one another, you can bypass whole swaths of the map simply because you spotted a clean surface to work with. The curious thing is, while Portal 2 seems to want to bust you out of the chamber-to-chamber mode ofThe singular fun of the Portal series is the mischief value of a portal gun. You can use it because you're too lazy to run down a hall, you can use it to dump your enemies onto one another, you can bypass whole swaths of the map simply because you spotted a clean surface to work with. The curious thing is, while Portal 2 seems to want to bust you out of the chamber-to-chamber mode of thinking, the gameplay itself is often far more restrictive. There are times when the only portable surfaces are the ones critical to the solution, and that just takes the fun out of finding them. The gels alleviate this plight after a while, but, I still would have liked to see more flexibility. Even if it means I fall into space once in a while because I've chosen the wrong bit of the ceiling and wasn't thinking with both portals ;) Co-op mode was so much better, especially since we could juggle one another, fling one another into space, and generally cause incredible mayhem for one another when we felt rambunctious. We really had to work and think together, and that made this game brilliant. The free DLC made it even better, and I want tons more co-op missions for this game. The co-op story was a bit disappointing, but, the missions themselves more than made up for it. We can't get enough of Science! Expand
  76. Dec 30, 2011
    This game was as long as it needed to be without overstaying it's welcome. Funny ,great puzzles , and a great new song by Jonathan Coulton. Then the addition of challenge maps , commentary on all levels with insight on the creation of the game , a Co-Op campaign , and Co-Op DLC just solidified this as one of Valve's Greatest
  77. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is fun but once you do all the levels its kinda B O R I N G so im hoping they add like a random map genorator thing for single player and multiplayer so that no1 can tell u how to do things and u never get bored cuz u completed the game overall i did like it i did
  78. Dec 28, 2011
    Quite simply, this is one of the best shooters and first person games ever made. There are so many clever ideas as well as the already brilliant portal gun. It's probably the biggest improvement seen in a sequel to its original ever. Everything is better than portal 1, more mechanics, more stellar voice acting (particularly from the hilarious Stephen Merchant as Wheatley) and a much deeperQuite simply, this is one of the best shooters and first person games ever made. There are so many clever ideas as well as the already brilliant portal gun. It's probably the biggest improvement seen in a sequel to its original ever. Everything is better than portal 1, more mechanics, more stellar voice acting (particularly from the hilarious Stephen Merchant as Wheatley) and a much deeper and interesting plot. The puzzles are complex yet always possible, making you feel like a science whizz at the end of each puzzle. The co-op is also a definate plus, one of the best co-op experiences available. Quite simply, this game is a masterpiece. Expand
  79. Dec 27, 2011
    This is a great game.Love the puzzles.Only thing concerning me that,it sometimes make me mad. :) The story is well based.Funny dialogues.Feels very good after every level.
  80. Dec 26, 2011
    Its very challenging and really makes you think. Plus I like the lines in this game. I truthfully thought most of them were pretty funny. I like the story line and how the game starts you off pretty much in the same area as the first one but now seeing that everything is run down and broken and then after you escape, you run into a long forgotten and very old part of aperture labs which IIts very challenging and really makes you think. Plus I like the lines in this game. I truthfully thought most of them were pretty funny. I like the story line and how the game starts you off pretty much in the same area as the first one but now seeing that everything is run down and broken and then after you escape, you run into a long forgotten and very old part of aperture labs which I think is pretty cool! Some have complained about the graphics, I truly think the graphics are great and very detailed! But then again, I have a really good graphics card in my computer and that really makes all the difference in the world! (people should try upgrading their video cards before complaining about the graphics). Although I beat the game in 6-7 hours but thats because I've always been good at figuring things out. So thats no reason for me to leave a bad score like some on here have for that reason. Its not Valve's fault that some of us are just really good at this kind of stuff. The only reason I knocked a point off (again its not valves fault) is that its not too replayable because once you figure it out, you already know how to do it and its not quite as fun the next time around. But then again, thats strategy and puzzle type games for you. So even then it wouldnt be fair to give Valve a bad score for this. Thats just the way this type of game is, it doesnt matter who makes it!! Although lastly, I gotta say, it would have been nice if they added a few more advanced maps like the first one, that's the reason for knocking another point off. However its still overall a pretty good and a very well made game in my book!! Expand
  81. Dec 25, 2011
    This is my third review today and I've been quite positive as it is Christmas, but this game is without a doubt, the Best game of the year. I won't even talk about how great it is, it's simply made to perfection. Here are the top 4 games I recommend this year:

1. Portal 2
    2. Modern Warfare 3
    3. Skyrim
    4. Battlefield 3
  82. Dec 23, 2011
    Now that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically andNow that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically and in the complexity of the puzzles. Oftentimes I would be bashing my head up against the wall trying to pull off complex stunts like in Portal I, when the solution would be much less about reflexes and much more about strategy. Not to mention that the storyline and voice acting are top notch. This is a game that is nearly literature in its depth, where you will actually feel emotionally moved and interested in the backstory and in the characters. However I was moved by GLADOS in the first Portal, the sequel expands this greatly. Really, if I was ever going to complain it would have been to say that $50 + DLC costs is a high price to pay for such a short experience, but now that it is cheaper I would say that this is the perfect experience for the perfect price. Expand
  83. Dec 22, 2011
    The game builds onto the brilliant idea introduced in the first game, the portal gun, and finds new creative ways of using it. Instead of being as short as the original game, Portal 2 has about the same length as Half Life 2, and it is fun as hell along the whole way. An excellent game!
  84. Dec 21, 2011
    A really really good game, for me the best of 2011 ! I didn't like so much the first Portal, but this one is just... GREAT ! I loved the story, the new stuff, and of course the online mode ! The solo part is maybe too short, but I still giving this fabulous mark (I very rarely give).
  85. Dec 20, 2011
    Portal 2 tries to bring back the fun of the original, but falls a little short. While portal 2 is fun, it seems to be lacking something from the original. Some of the puzzles made me wonder what the developers were thinking at the time. Portal 2 is a fun game, so if you catch it on sale pick it up.
  86. Dec 19, 2011
    Good story and great humour and personality, really enjoyable from start to finish. It's quite short, but it's not a full price game so that's okay I guess.

If I had to find a flaw it's that the puzzles could have used a little more variety; there's quite a lot of repetition involved and many of the puzzles just involve using the same handful of tactics in a different combination of ways. As a result the puzzles are kind of easy except for the first couple of times you encounter a new environmental feature and have to figure out how to utilize it. Nitpicking aside though this is a fantastic game and there's nothing I can really say that others haven't already. Definitely worth it.
  87. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a great game. The graphics are beautiful, the story is filled with dark humor, the voice acting is superb, and the puzzles are challenging. All in all, this is a fun and challenging experience worth the price.
  88. Dec 14, 2011
    There is a reason that Portal 2 got nominated for the 2011 Game of the Year. With a compelling storyline and more varied puzzles, this is a fitting sequel to what is likely the greatest experimental game of all time (which, if you haven't tried already, you should really pick up). Portal 2 comes back full-force with the blend of humor and dark mystery that made the original Portal such aThere is a reason that Portal 2 got nominated for the 2011 Game of the Year. With a compelling storyline and more varied puzzles, this is a fitting sequel to what is likely the greatest experimental game of all time (which, if you haven't tried already, you should really pick up). Portal 2 comes back full-force with the blend of humor and dark mystery that made the original Portal such a success. The amount of voice work that they put into it is astonishing as well, for such a linear game. I found myself oftentimes in a situation where I had to complete some action, but would refuse to do so, if only to hear the hilarious comments that my counterpart or some other character would make. Portal 2 is best experienced through a slow playthrough. Rush through it and you'll never get the full experience. But when you're finally done with the awesome single player mode, hop on into co-op with a friend (no, not a stranger, a friend). It is an incredible addition to an already incredible game and adds a new dynamic to "thinking with portals". Those "Aha!" moments that you strike will hit you twice as hard when you're cooperatively solving GLaDOS' devious tests. As a final note, I would also like to remind those reading that the DLC, entitled Peer Review, included an entirely new course with about nine new tests that, amazingly enough, was all free of charge. Valve is a company that I will stick with until the very end, if only for their generosity. Expand
  89. Dec 13, 2011
    This is NOT the best Valve game ever (that's Half-Life 2), but Portal 2 is still a DAMN GOOD GAME, pretty much brilliant I'd say. The levels are just challenging enough to make your brain really work but easy enough so that you don't get frustrated (with the exception of a couple of the later levels). The visuals aren't exactly ground-breaking but they're a HUGE improvement over the firstThis is NOT the best Valve game ever (that's Half-Life 2), but Portal 2 is still a DAMN GOOD GAME, pretty much brilliant I'd say. The levels are just challenging enough to make your brain really work but easy enough so that you don't get frustrated (with the exception of a couple of the later levels). The visuals aren't exactly ground-breaking but they're a HUGE improvement over the first Portal and they still look really good.
    Apart from the actual game play, the sound is where Portal 2 really hits the spot. Ellen McLain does a perfect job of voicing GLaDOS (the villain) and Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons are both very good in their roles as Wheatley and Cave Johnson. The music is mostly techno and changes pace and volume according to what you're doing in the game, and this just adds to the already well established atmosphere and feel of the game.
    Portal 2 is NOT a perfect game, but everything it has adds up to make an absolutely, positively brilliant one.
  90. Dec 11, 2011
    This is one of the better games I have played. I have finished the multiplayer and single player. Most single player games can't hold my attention, and I move on to the multiplayer, but the story line was fantastic and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the story line comments as they were very funny. The maps were not super hard where you got frustrated. I think they walked aThis is one of the better games I have played. I have finished the multiplayer and single player. Most single player games can't hold my attention, and I move on to the multiplayer, but the story line was fantastic and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the story line comments as they were very funny. The maps were not super hard where you got frustrated. I think they walked a fine line to make the maps fun without being super hard to figure out. I would recommend this game to my friends. Expand
  91. Dec 10, 2011
    Portal 2 is the all-time best puzzle game ever! It didn't take me long to finish it because I couldn't stop playing it. It is very addicting and one of the most hilarious games I can think of. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it, except it didn't really set itself up for a sequel, which would have been nice. It was a little slow, but that was only because I have WindowsPortal 2 is the all-time best puzzle game ever! It didn't take me long to finish it because I couldn't stop playing it. It is very addicting and one of the most hilarious games I can think of. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it, except it didn't really set itself up for a sequel, which would have been nice. It was a little slow, but that was only because I have Windows Vista, so that wasn't the game's fault. It had a good length, story, and had a great ending. Portal 2 is very quotable and memorable, although not very replayable. I wasn't a big fan of the online multiplayer mode, but I didn't take much time investing in it anyway. In video games, I usually get pretty irritated when I get stuck, but it wasn't like that in Portal 2 because of how interested I was in just figuring it out. This game is definitely worth buying off of Steam, because of the glory that you will eventually give it in time like I have. Expand
  92. Dec 10, 2011
    One word: Kicka*s. Valve did good. REAL good.
  93. Dec 9, 2011
    There's really nothing I can add to the 2400 other reviews here. Portal 2 is really amazing, both in single player and co-op. One should really play Portal first, to get the appropriate context (and a slightly more gentle introduction to the portal mechanics).

The voice acting, visuals, and story are all extremely good, and of course the gameplay is classic Portal with some fun new additions.
  94. Dec 6, 2011
    This is one of the most fun games that I have ever played. The down side of this Portal game, much like the 1st, is the lack of content. You will clear through all of the solo and multi-player content in a short amount of time. However, don't let the small time sink deter you from this game because you would be missing out on one of the best games ever created.
  95. Dec 4, 2011
    The best game i have ever played.Perfect story,excellent music and of course innovating gameplay,that was improved with new staff like gels,excursion tunnels and lasers.Valve did a really good job.
  96. Nov 30, 2011
    Bests the original in almost every way. Dialogue is spot on, graphics scale well for older computers, game-play is terrific and the difficulty curve is perfect. The only thing that it doesn't best from the original is how you almost get funneled into portals when you are falling. This is only a minor change though, as portal placement is still one of the harder skills in the game. GOTY forBests the original in almost every way. Dialogue is spot on, graphics scale well for older computers, game-play is terrific and the difficulty curve is perfect. The only thing that it doesn't best from the original is how you almost get funneled into portals when you are falling. This is only a minor change though, as portal placement is still one of the harder skills in the game. GOTY for an action puzzler. Sorry Catherine. Expand
  97. Nov 30, 2011
    portal 1: I just couldn't stop playing
    portal 2: speechless, wow, awesome, beautiful, great.....One of the best ******* thing i ever played in my entire life, dude, omg, i love vale and his awesome games
  98. Nov 28, 2011
    most the people who are voting this game down are saying the following in fancier terms "ITS A PUZZLE GAME, YOU DONT SHOOT ANYTHING, ITS STUPID, HURR DURR" Guess what folks, they have COD AIDS! IF YOU DONT LIKE A PUZZLE GAME, DONT, BUY, A, PUZZLE GAME, but guess what, this game is more of an adventure game than it is a puzzle game, the expierience that you will have when you play throughmost the people who are voting this game down are saying the following in fancier terms "ITS A PUZZLE GAME, YOU DONT SHOOT ANYTHING, ITS STUPID, HURR DURR" Guess what folks, they have COD AIDS! IF YOU DONT LIKE A PUZZLE GAME, DONT, BUY, A, PUZZLE GAME, but guess what, this game is more of an adventure game than it is a puzzle game, the expierience that you will have when you play through this will be one that you will never forget because its that awesome. I had a friend say "Portal is stupid because it makes you feel smart" well guess what, all games are supposed to make you feel somthing, so that argument is irrelevent. Expand
  99. USG
    Nov 27, 2011
    Each second of Portal 2 is enjoyable and unique, unlike anything else and it offers a superb storyline and amusing dialogue that compliments it. Unfortunately, a problem is that there can be more stellar material in Portal 2. The difficulty starts out slow with nothing really clever and the puzzles and objects that make the gameplay worthwhile is only used near the end of the game. TheEach second of Portal 2 is enjoyable and unique, unlike anything else and it offers a superb storyline and amusing dialogue that compliments it. Unfortunately, a problem is that there can be more stellar material in Portal 2. The difficulty starts out slow with nothing really clever and the puzzles and objects that make the gameplay worthwhile is only used near the end of the game. The detail in the game is tremendous which goes back to the same rooms as Portal but in a new manner, except it showcases the new setting for the first half of the game. The new technologies introduced in the game, such as gels, only make it in too late into the campaign. Despite feeling too short, each second invested into the game is worthwhile and fun. The character must escape from the laboratory which breaks up any repetition caused by tests, although the escaping segments offer no difficulty. Each character in the game is alluring, from GLaDOS and Wheatley to cores with insignificant roles at the end. Overall, the campaign of Portal 2 does indeed inspire awe and the co-op mode can add more hours to the game, but it's ultimately too short which is not for its own good. Expand
  100. Nov 25, 2011
    I hardly ever rate games a 10, but when a game successfully mixes comedy, physics, storytelling, puzzles, and graphics, 10 almost doesn't seem to be enough. I was skeptical about the fact that a sequel was being released, but I had nothing to worry about all along. This series will forever be an icon in the gaming community.

1. Pelit (Finland)