Portal 2 PC

9.0

1. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a great game. The graphics are beautiful, the story is filled with dark humor, the voice acting is superb, and the puzzles are challenging. All in all, this is a fun and challenging experience worth the price.
  2. Dec 14, 2011
    There is a reason that Portal 2 got nominated for the 2011 Game of the Year. With a compelling storyline and more varied puzzles, this is a fitting sequel to what is likely the greatest experimental game of all time (which, if you haven't tried already, you should really pick up). Portal 2 comes back full-force with the blend of humor and dark mystery that made the original Portal such aThere is a reason that Portal 2 got nominated for the 2011 Game of the Year. With a compelling storyline and more varied puzzles, this is a fitting sequel to what is likely the greatest experimental game of all time (which, if you haven't tried already, you should really pick up). Portal 2 comes back full-force with the blend of humor and dark mystery that made the original Portal such a success. The amount of voice work that they put into it is astonishing as well, for such a linear game. I found myself oftentimes in a situation where I had to complete some action, but would refuse to do so, if only to hear the hilarious comments that my counterpart or some other character would make. Portal 2 is best experienced through a slow playthrough. Rush through it and you'll never get the full experience. But when you're finally done with the awesome single player mode, hop on into co-op with a friend (no, not a stranger, a friend). It is an incredible addition to an already incredible game and adds a new dynamic to "thinking with portals". Those "Aha!" moments that you strike will hit you twice as hard when you're cooperatively solving GLaDOS' devious tests. As a final note, I would also like to remind those reading that the DLC, entitled Peer Review, included an entirely new course with about nine new tests that, amazingly enough, was all free of charge. Valve is a company that I will stick with until the very end, if only for their generosity. Expand
  3. Dec 13, 2011
    This is NOT the best Valve game ever (that's Half-Life 2), but Portal 2 is still a DAMN GOOD GAME, pretty much brilliant I'd say. The levels are just challenging enough to make your brain really work but easy enough so that you don't get frustrated (with the exception of a couple of the later levels). The visuals aren't exactly ground-breaking but they're a HUGE improvement over the firstThis is NOT the best Valve game ever (that's Half-Life 2), but Portal 2 is still a DAMN GOOD GAME, pretty much brilliant I'd say. The levels are just challenging enough to make your brain really work but easy enough so that you don't get frustrated (with the exception of a couple of the later levels). The visuals aren't exactly ground-breaking but they're a HUGE improvement over the first Portal and they still look really good.
    Apart from the actual game play, the sound is where Portal 2 really hits the spot. Ellen McLain does a perfect job of voicing GLaDOS (the villain) and Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons are both very good in their roles as Wheatley and Cave Johnson. The music is mostly techno and changes pace and volume according to what you're doing in the game, and this just adds to the already well established atmosphere and feel of the game.
    Portal 2 is NOT a perfect game, but everything it has adds up to make an absolutely, positively brilliant one.
  4. Dec 11, 2011
    This is one of the better games I have played. I have finished the multiplayer and single player. Most single player games can't hold my attention, and I move on to the multiplayer, but the story line was fantastic and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the story line comments as they were very funny. The maps were not super hard where you got frustrated. I think they walked aThis is one of the better games I have played. I have finished the multiplayer and single player. Most single player games can't hold my attention, and I move on to the multiplayer, but the story line was fantastic and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the story line comments as they were very funny. The maps were not super hard where you got frustrated. I think they walked a fine line to make the maps fun without being super hard to figure out. I would recommend this game to my friends. Expand
  5. Dec 10, 2011
    Portal 2 is the all-time best puzzle game ever! It didn't take me long to finish it because I couldn't stop playing it. It is very addicting and one of the most hilarious games I can think of. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it, except it didn't really set itself up for a sequel, which would have been nice. It was a little slow, but that was only because I have WindowsPortal 2 is the all-time best puzzle game ever! It didn't take me long to finish it because I couldn't stop playing it. It is very addicting and one of the most hilarious games I can think of. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it, except it didn't really set itself up for a sequel, which would have been nice. It was a little slow, but that was only because I have Windows Vista, so that wasn't the game's fault. It had a good length, story, and had a great ending. Portal 2 is very quotable and memorable, although not very replayable. I wasn't a big fan of the online multiplayer mode, but I didn't take much time investing in it anyway. In video games, I usually get pretty irritated when I get stuck, but it wasn't like that in Portal 2 because of how interested I was in just figuring it out. This game is definitely worth buying off of Steam, because of the glory that you will eventually give it in time like I have. Expand
  6. Dec 10, 2011
    One word: Kicka*s. Valve did good. REAL good.
  7. Dec 9, 2011
    There's really nothing I can add to the 2400 other reviews here. Portal 2 is really amazing, both in single player and co-op. One should really play Portal first, to get the appropriate context (and a slightly more gentle introduction to the portal mechanics).

The voice acting, visuals, and story are all extremely good, and of course the gameplay is classic Portal with some fun new additions.
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    This is one of the most fun games that I have ever played. The down side of this Portal game, much like the 1st, is the lack of content. You will clear through all of the solo and multi-player content in a short amount of time. However, don't let the small time sink deter you from this game because you would be missing out on one of the best games ever created.
  9. Dec 4, 2011
    The best game i have ever played.Perfect story,excellent music and of course innovating gameplay,that was improved with new staff like gels,excursion tunnels and lasers.Valve did a really good job.
  10. Nov 30, 2011
    Bests the original in almost every way. Dialogue is spot on, graphics scale well for older computers, game-play is terrific and the difficulty curve is perfect. The only thing that it doesn't best from the original is how you almost get funneled into portals when you are falling. This is only a minor change though, as portal placement is still one of the harder skills in the game. GOTY forBests the original in almost every way. Dialogue is spot on, graphics scale well for older computers, game-play is terrific and the difficulty curve is perfect. The only thing that it doesn't best from the original is how you almost get funneled into portals when you are falling. This is only a minor change though, as portal placement is still one of the harder skills in the game. GOTY for an action puzzler. Sorry Catherine. Expand
  11. Nov 30, 2011
    portal 1: I just couldn't stop playing
    portal 2: speechless, wow, awesome, beautiful, great.....One of the best ******* thing i ever played in my entire life, dude, omg, i love vale and his awesome games
  12. Nov 28, 2011
    most the people who are voting this game down are saying the following in fancier terms "ITS A PUZZLE GAME, YOU DONT SHOOT ANYTHING, ITS STUPID, HURR DURR" Guess what folks, they have COD AIDS! IF YOU DONT LIKE A PUZZLE GAME, DONT, BUY, A, PUZZLE GAME, but guess what, this game is more of an adventure game than it is a puzzle game, the expierience that you will have when you play throughmost the people who are voting this game down are saying the following in fancier terms "ITS A PUZZLE GAME, YOU DONT SHOOT ANYTHING, ITS STUPID, HURR DURR" Guess what folks, they have COD AIDS! IF YOU DONT LIKE A PUZZLE GAME, DONT, BUY, A, PUZZLE GAME, but guess what, this game is more of an adventure game than it is a puzzle game, the expierience that you will have when you play through this will be one that you will never forget because its that awesome. I had a friend say "Portal is stupid because it makes you feel smart" well guess what, all games are supposed to make you feel somthing, so that argument is irrelevent. Expand
  13. USG
    Nov 27, 2011
    Each second of Portal 2 is enjoyable and unique, unlike anything else and it offers a superb storyline and amusing dialogue that compliments it. Unfortunately, a problem is that there can be more stellar material in Portal 2. The difficulty starts out slow with nothing really clever and the puzzles and objects that make the gameplay worthwhile is only used near the end of the game. TheEach second of Portal 2 is enjoyable and unique, unlike anything else and it offers a superb storyline and amusing dialogue that compliments it. Unfortunately, a problem is that there can be more stellar material in Portal 2. The difficulty starts out slow with nothing really clever and the puzzles and objects that make the gameplay worthwhile is only used near the end of the game. The detail in the game is tremendous which goes back to the same rooms as Portal but in a new manner, except it showcases the new setting for the first half of the game. The new technologies introduced in the game, such as gels, only make it in too late into the campaign. Despite feeling too short, each second invested into the game is worthwhile and fun. The character must escape from the laboratory which breaks up any repetition caused by tests, although the escaping segments offer no difficulty. Each character in the game is alluring, from GLaDOS and Wheatley to cores with insignificant roles at the end. Overall, the campaign of Portal 2 does indeed inspire awe and the co-op mode can add more hours to the game, but it's ultimately too short which is not for its own good. Expand
  14. Nov 25, 2011
    I hardly ever rate games a 10, but when a game successfully mixes comedy, physics, storytelling, puzzles, and graphics, 10 almost doesn't seem to be enough. I was skeptical about the fact that a sequel was being released, but I had nothing to worry about all along. This series will forever be an icon in the gaming community.
  15. Nov 25, 2011
    I halved with my friend for this game the other day on Steam and I must say that... This game is absolutely amazing!!! I thought Portal was okay but it got old quickly but Portal 2 has kept me enthused the whole way with it's puzzles, cynical enemy GLaDOS, and the comic relief of Steve Merchant who plays your only friend in the game. I have not tried Co-Op yet and definitely will try it asI halved with my friend for this game the other day on Steam and I must say that... This game is absolutely amazing!!! I thought Portal was okay but it got old quickly but Portal 2 has kept me enthused the whole way with it's puzzles, cynical enemy GLaDOS, and the comic relief of Steve Merchant who plays your only friend in the game. I have not tried Co-Op yet and definitely will try it as me and my friend went halves on the double pack to save a couple dollars because I've simply been enjoying the story of the single player so much! Thanks for another great game!!! Expand
  16. Nov 23, 2011
    As perfect as it gets for a FPP (First Person PortalGun). The only flaw this has is that it isn't long enough. The Co-op playing is very good but also too short. It's beautifully design and rendered, brilliant level designs and has an excellent story with some top notch dialogue and voice-overs especially by Stephen Merchant and the great J.K. Simmons. Amazing stuff.
  17. Nov 23, 2011
    Now that the year of gaming has come to an end Portal is safe in it's spot as the best game of 2011. Despite a lot of good games released nothing came close. Not just GOTY but GOTD (D=decade).
  18. Nov 22, 2011
    What happening with me i'll gonna be crazy with the puzzles and glados e the little robot, is the best game that i play, side by sibe whith skyrim. portal 2 is the best thing of 2011 and the better game of all time, emotion times, execiting times, crazys times with the puzzles is the fanstastic adventure i recommendy for everryone!
  19. Nov 20, 2011
    The game, being just as challenging as the first, brought me into thinking mode, as i tried to work out the puzzles. the gift of getting passed the task isn't even as rewarding as how pleased i am with myself when i finally figure it out. After every puzzle, i grin, and go on towards the next challenge.
  20. Nov 20, 2011
    Other of the biggest masterpiece of Valve. Portal 2 is the best example of how to overcome the insurmountable. There is no way to complain about this game because it is simply amazing. High top of the best game of this generation.
  21. Nov 20, 2011
    Solid writing as well as excellent dark humour, the puzzles are challenging but never so to a point of getting stuck. Story line offer plenty for everyone here.
  22. Nov 18, 2011
    It's the best story game I've ever played. Valve out did themselves with Portal 2, fun, thrilling, fast, and creative. It will eventually end up being remembered as one of the great games of its age. (Now if Valve would just release Half Life 3 already.)
  23. Nov 16, 2011
    Valve never fails to disapoint. Everything about this game is so unique and enjoyable. If you have only played the single player you really need to go back and play through the coop! Especially now that Valve released new DLC (for free I might add, that alone makes me want to give this game more than a 10) Don't forget to bring your combustible lemons as well!
  24. Nov 15, 2011
    This game was amazing. This game was as long as it needed to be without overstaying it's welcome. Funny ,great puzzles , and a great new song by Jonathan Coulton. Then the addition of challenge maps , commentary on all levels with insight on the creation of the game , a Co-Op campaign , and Co-Op DLC just solidified this as one of Valve's Greatest Achievements.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    This is one of the best game I've ever played
    This is one of the best game I've ever played
    It has an amazing story line and fun characters. Although I think the game is a but short but there is nothing wrong with that. I have played through the story loads of times, each time I do I find out more information about the story and Easter eggs, but not everyone will do this. Hopefully with the future update, running custom maps will keep people playing this amazing game

The co op part of the game makes up 40% of portal 2, but I highly recommend only playing the story with a friend as it gets annoying that you can only talk to them using simple sentences and phrases like "step on that button"or "go over there"

I got this game as a PS3 version, although I only play it on PC. This is because I have a good PC and that I am not very happy with the PS3 port. Loading times are long and the game can slow down at times. Also playing the game with a keyboard and mouse is a LOT easier

The soundtrack of the game is very dynamic. More instruments/tracks come in sometimes in certain levels, like when you are flying in the air or when activating switches, it is really good when you finish the game and listen to the credits :)

You don't need to play portal 1 to understand it, but it helps if you do, but if you use steam then you might already have it or git it for free

Everyone should try this game, this definitely goes on my top 5 games list!
  26. Nov 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best puzzle game money can buy. You are in an underground research facility at the mercy of a sadistic AI, whoâ Expand
  27. Nov 15, 2011
    When I first completed the single-player portion of Portal 2 I couldn't believe how short it was. Then I looked at my Steam play time and realised something; it wasn't that the game was short, it was just that I'd been enjoying it so much, and was trying to beat the tests as fast as possible to find out what happened next in the story, that when the end came, I just couldn't accept it. SoWhen I first completed the single-player portion of Portal 2 I couldn't believe how short it was. Then I looked at my Steam play time and realised something; it wasn't that the game was short, it was just that I'd been enjoying it so much, and was trying to beat the tests as fast as possible to find out what happened next in the story, that when the end came, I just couldn't accept it. So I did something that has probably only ever happened once or twice before; I immediately played the whole thing through again.
    Nobody crafts a game quite like Valve.
  28. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is just perfect, the dialogue, history, soundtrack, graphics, everything on the right place, the ending is one of the best endings in game history, every person in the world must play this game.
  29. Nov 14, 2011
    Portal 2 delivers a great single player and probably the finest example of a fun puzzle co-op game to date.
    The source engine while is showing it's age is being pushed to it's very limits to provide some beautiful visuals and while the core gameplay mechanics remain very much true to the first game everything is expanded on and some great new physics features added providing entire newly scopes to the puzzles.
  30. Nov 13, 2011
    till like couple years back i was a "fancy games" gamer ... you know by fancy i mean any game that looked good and had a lot of action even if it was mindless. i took video games as a form of entertainment. but today i know and have felt very well that gaming is an unique art which actually is a beautiful amalgamation of many arts... a kind in which not only one art works well buttill like couple years back i was a "fancy games" gamer ... you know by fancy i mean any game that looked good and had a lot of action even if it was mindless. i took video games as a form of entertainment. but today i know and have felt very well that gaming is an unique art which actually is a beautiful amalgamation of many arts... a kind in which not only one art works well but everything goes together to bring in front of you a masterpiece. every masterpiece (if it's a masterpiece) is different from the others. i know not every game hits that spot but when they do they absorb you. PORTAL 2 is one of them. i actually was not sure if i'd enjoy this game cause when the last time i played portal 1, i was like "eh?! if i wanna solve puzzles i'll get a dedicated puzzle game" which don't interest me to be honest. so i admit i downloaded a pirated copy of this game to see if i could enjoy it or not. i mean ign, gamespot, whatnot etc. have been raving about this game giving it full or almost full. so even after downloading i didn't play it. when i finished playing a lot of other big title which actually didn't satisfy and met my expectations, then i thought let's try it out. and here my review goes:
    AUDIO- 10.0- i know i'm giving it too much to be true but when you'll play this game and if you agree with my view on "GAMING AS AN ART", you'll find that the audio totally supports the game's style and direction. i mean there are very few sound elements in this game that you can compare to their authentic real counter-parts which have been done well but the other elements are totally pure and beautiful imagination of the guys who are part of the sound department in this game. whether its music or the turret robots who are so cleanly showing they're "camouflaging" their "intentions" of hurting you, everything is just unique and perfect. the nature of ridicule & patronizing in their remarks were effortlessly working to irritate me so that my desperation to get rid of them is only catalyzed further like you wanna get rid of a bully who keeps annoying you or irritating you for no reason. YEAH so coming to the dialogues now. GLADdos was voiced in such a humane manner that you definitely could feel the conflict that's present subtly in her remarks. and the same goes for wheatly who was a typical example of the fact "you only get to know someone when you hand them the power." these characters despite being robots were only and actually characterizing humans in someway or other who, you can imagine, created them. that great the audio overall is.
    GRAPHICS- 8.0- this is for sure that this game was never meant to boast about it's graphics but it's art direction and visual quality is such that you are easily able to feel that you're a part of this game.. it's world (which actually is only a very gigantic lab) although it doesn't come close to anything that possibly can happen or exist in reality.
    GAMPLAY and STORY- 10.0- before i start for this, please note i took two categories together because this game calls for it. the gameplay is a part of the story. level design and the puzzles are just nothing short of awe and amazement. the mechanics involved in the game were the simplest i've come across since a long time. you only need to move, jump, crouch and shoot your portal gun. the devs did this with the purpose that i believe was so you don't have to keep track of your reflexes all the time (like generally you've to in today's FPS games) and you can easily concentrate on the puzzles using your highly intellectual, logical brain. (yes even i didn't know that i just wasn't a precise-key-hitting-at-the-right-moment-adrenaline-junky but also had a mind and a brain that worked for higher purposes of life.) but everytime it was the persistence and the actions of our silent character Chell that played one of the key elements in the story. And with that it was GLADdos and wheatley's reactions everytime that were complimentary to the story-telling. now to the story, usually some games, especially RPGs, are known to have protagonists that are morally or socially "clean-slate" for you to forge your own character. Well in portal 2, you've a morally, conclusively "clean-slate" story. At the end of the game you'll feel something about the characters, situations...etc. overall story that i think will be different for someone else's and which is something i don't have words for because that's how this game becomes so personal to you. (P.S.- don't compare your feelings or conclusions of this game to someone else's because Valve made this game for you and not someone else.)
    So after experiencing something like this game which not only satisfied me but also touched me to the core of my heart and gave me a reason to be proud of being a gamer, I knew this game is a must buy because again it was definitely made for me.
  31. Nov 13, 2011
    Since MetaCritic only allows short reviews, I will keep this short and sweet. Portal 2 is an amazing game. Breakdown:

Gameplay: 10/10. Awesome and challenging puzzles.
    Story: 7.5/10. It is funny and has awesome plot twists, but it really isn't deep at all.
    Graphics: 9/10. Great graphics and low system requirements.
    Sound: 10/10. Pretty good sound, but AWESOME music.

Overall: 9.3/10
  32. Nov 12, 2011
    Great game! The game let you play with runing and thinking. It gave us an new way to play FPS game witch is very exciting. The story is also pretty good. Valve never disappoints us.
  33. Nov 11, 2011
    I really loved this game. It has great puzzles and the story was really well put together. I personally thought Wheatly was awesome lol. I highly recommend this game if you like solving puzzles and are looking for an interesting story while you play your games. I can see how this game may not be for everyone but I think that if you give this game a chance then you will come to really enjoy it.
  34. Nov 11, 2011
    in one word this is game of the year great game in all areas voices graphic game play funny story and voices and we can't forget multiplier is very good and something new this is a fantastic game
  35. Nov 8, 2011
    Here it is, VALVe taking advantage over their attempts once again, and let me say how well they succeeded at it this time. Pretty well. Portal 2 is the sequel to their "test" that was simply an extra on the Orange Box bundle pack and that was even free on steam for several times.

This time, making it an official game, all their effort was put into it, taking the successful gimmick from the first game and enhancing it with additional features such as the repulsion/propulsion/conversiton gel, excursion funnel, faith plates and discouragement beams, filling it with a lot more pop culture than before, having more hilarious situations and now with an actual plot, this game is just steps away from being perfect.

The game takes place around 200 years after the first one, Chell was put into life support because of a mysterios worker (see lab rat comic for details) and after waking up, you're greeted to a new character which is by far the most important in the whole game, Wheatley. This british accented core takes you back to the aperture science building just so you can notice that everything is destroyed and the building is filled with plants and sorts of forests.

Even though it's using the source engine, the game has amazing graphics, showing that even source can be upgraded sometime without messing with anything else. Gameplay wise, it's pretty much the same from the last game, with the differences being the additional features presented in the game and the new layout of the test chambers. The soundtrack is simply incredible and it fits perfectly well with this game, being smooth in the background while you focus on solving the puzzles. All the voice acting in this game is perfect, the voice actors for Wheatley, GLaDOS and Cave were outstanding in their skill to do the voice of the characters and implement their personalities even more.

Great Co-op, great SP, great DLC, great game, great everything, WONDERFUL ENDING. Totally worth the money
  36. Nov 8, 2011
    This is one of the best games that I have ever played. The best is TF2, but Portal 2 has the best single player in any game I have ever played. It is challenging, funny, and engaging all at the same time. By the end, I had fallen in love with all of the new characters they introduced and never wanted the game to end. I actually shed a tear when it was over. I wish I could forget everythingThis is one of the best games that I have ever played. The best is TF2, but Portal 2 has the best single player in any game I have ever played. It is challenging, funny, and engaging all at the same time. By the end, I had fallen in love with all of the new characters they introduced and never wanted the game to end. I actually shed a tear when it was over. I wish I could forget everything about it so I could experience it all again. Expand
  37. Nov 7, 2011
    Hilarious, a complete and utter work of genius. Brilliantly designed and scripted. An absolute joy to play and probably the first game that actually made me belly laugh.
  38. Nov 3, 2011
    One of my favourite games ever, i never thought i would be saying that. It is such an improvement on the first one too and i love the story and banter throughout the game. My only gripe would be that the levels are too easy, i found i wizzed through the first half of the game.
  39. Nov 2, 2011
    This game has more originality and character in one level than most big budget, 'big men with big guns' blockbusters have in all of their various iterations. Using the portal device to hurl yourself across a chasm to land perfectly on a precariously dangling platform gives the player a genuine sense of power and achievement unlike any other in computer gaming. A work of art, and mostThis game has more originality and character in one level than most big budget, 'big men with big guns' blockbusters have in all of their various iterations. Using the portal device to hurl yourself across a chasm to land perfectly on a precariously dangling platform gives the player a genuine sense of power and achievement unlike any other in computer gaming. A work of art, and most importantly, damn good fun. Expand
  40. Nov 1, 2011
    Agree @ Vescosein completely. I can't say enough how much i appreciate Valve for their innovative creativity and fair pricing system in a world of the gimmies and scam oriented marketing Valve is truly a breath of fresh air paired with unique products that stand the test of time. Thank You Valve for being my friend=] oh ya and i only just started playing Portal 2 but i already know itAgree @ Vescosein completely. I can't say enough how much i appreciate Valve for their innovative creativity and fair pricing system in a world of the gimmies and scam oriented marketing Valve is truly a breath of fresh air paired with unique products that stand the test of time. Thank You Valve for being my friend=] oh ya and i only just started playing Portal 2 but i already know it deserves every bit of the 10 i'm giving it! Expand
  41. Oct 30, 2011
    Portal 2 is, without a doubt, great.
    Portal 1 was, for those who don't know, a short puzzle game sold with The Orange Box, and made use of holes in walls. It's hard to explain.
    Now, even though Portal 1 was(very) short, that wasn't that bad: The puzzles would have gotten obvious and the standard portal mechanics boring. And you might also have heard that Portal 2 is much longer than the
    Portal 2 is, without a doubt, great.

And you might also have heard that Portal 2 is much longer than the original, so how did they keep Portal 2 fresh and entertaining?
    Well, VALVe said easy: Throw in some awesome mechanics, more characters, and some great plot twists, and bam, you have a great game.

Portal 2's base mechanics do not differ from the original: The portal gun is back. But, this time around, there are a LOT more things to play around with; Lazers are one, but I'm not going to spoil any more. Let's just say that they're great.
    The story has also improved a lot: Portal 1's story(that did have a lot of backstory) was kind of basic. But, this time around, there is a full-fledged story about Aperture Science, and what happened in the facilities.

Another "Small" addition is Co-Op. Imagine: Instead of 2 portals, 4 to play around with. Believe me: It can get complicated, but if you have a buddy to play with and have voicechat, it'll be a barrel 'o laughs.

If I'm going to tell more in this review, I'll spoil too much... but believe me, together with the Portal 2 Authoring Tools for PC, the new coop, incoming DLC's, and the longer overall game, this is a must by for any gamer.
  42. Oct 29, 2011
    YEa even though the engine is old, and valve was trying to squeeze everything out of that old engine, the game is FUN
    Portal 1 was incredible, but this is just another league
  43. Oct 29, 2011
    In 2007 was launched on Orange Box, a collection with Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal, a game that among these heavyweights not gained much attention, but soon won the critics and audiences with its clever puzzles, a bizarre humor and a brand new sense of physical and space.

Now, four years later, Valve launches Portal 2, which adds a dozen new features to the game, including the awaited multiplayer co-op.

In Portal 2 we have the return of Chell, protagonist of the first game who wakes up back in Aperture Laboratories. But at this time the labs are in ruins, dominated by plants, which by the way are not able to perform tests.

The changes in the game are featured early on the beginning. The lonely and depressed mood of the first game disappears with the arrival of Wheatley, a clumsy robot who helps the protagonist to flee from his room.

In this game we have a charismatic cast, ranging from sarcastic GLaDOS, the villain of the first game until the aforementioned Wheatley, and Cave Johnson, president and founder of Aperture Laboratories. All these characters will serve to the unfolding of a complex plot full of twists, secrets and several references to the first game (and Half-Life), which will be able to crack a smile on the faces of fans.

But not just story a game lives. The sequel has several new features for the mechanic, ranging from platforms that you throw into the air, to the entertained propulsion, repulsion and conversion gels, among other changes. All these things will help you go through the test chambers that are larger than those of his predecessor.

To complete the package has the exhilarating multiplayer mode. Forget that thing of shooting alone zombies in Left4Dead. Here, if you do not work as a team, you'll never win.

The mode has a clever system that allows players performs pings to understand even if they do not speak the same language or have a microphone. There is even an online store to buy and trade items to customize your robot. But the items are expensive and their purchase is not worth it, but it's a great idea from Valve. The Source, Valve's engine, continues to create a beautiful game, without lag the PC, even when there is a lot of action happening or huge scenarios.

Another aspect that evolves over the first game is the soundtrack. Portal had virtually no music, something that has completely changed in the sequel. The soundtrack is much more relevant and present, accurately pointing out the moments of thriller and action, and changing over the player's progress in the chambers. The voice acting in this game is amazing. All voices are excellent. The cast of celebrities includes Stephen Merchant (of The Office) and J. K. Simons (J.J. Jameson from Spider-Man films) who give life and unique personality to the characters.

Portal 2 presents few problems. One of them (and probably the worse) are the many loading screens. They annoy especially at moments of exploration, where they break the rhythm of the game.

Another problem is the miss of what to do at the finish of the game. The achievements do not give much reason to play it again. Luckily the game provides hours of fun before finishing.

Undoubtedly, Portal 2 is bigger and better than its predecessor. Some glitches here and there but nothing to spoil the integrity of the work which is already one of the best titles of the year so far.
  44. Oct 27, 2011
    Simply a great game. The story is interesting, puzzles are well-designed, plus the humour and co-op mode. You want to play, and play. A must-have for everyone. Keep up the good work, Valve!
  45. Oct 26, 2011
    Incredible amount IF you are into puzzle solving and semi-complex humor (which I am). The story unfolds very well, ridiculous amount of laughs and the Graphics of the Source engine have been improved enough to no make it sub-par. A hands-down recommendation to anyone who has enjoyed Portal or any puzzle platformer etc ... Nice thing with Valve is you get free DLC and maps at a decent rateIncredible amount IF you are into puzzle solving and semi-complex humor (which I am). The story unfolds very well, ridiculous amount of laughs and the Graphics of the Source engine have been improved enough to no make it sub-par. A hands-down recommendation to anyone who has enjoyed Portal or any puzzle platformer etc ... Nice thing with Valve is you get free DLC and maps at a decent rate and coop with a friend can be amazing fun. Expand
  46. Oct 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fans of Portal, this is the game for you. Itâ Expand
  47. Oct 20, 2011
    One of the best games of 2011 if not the very best, there is almost nothing I can pick apart in this game that makes it bad in any way. The main campaign might seem a bit short for some but the co-op, and free dlc that was released can also make up for that. The game is just brilliant and must buy.
  48. Oct 19, 2011
    This is a solid puzzle game, but I don't think it is quite as good as the original Portal. There is enough new stuff to make the puzzles challenging, fun and interesting, but I think that Valve play up to the success of the original by re-hashing what people loved about it. I also found Stephen Merchant's voice/character to be really annoying and out of place...I think it should have beenThis is a solid puzzle game, but I don't think it is quite as good as the original Portal. There is enough new stuff to make the puzzles challenging, fun and interesting, but I think that Valve play up to the success of the original by re-hashing what people loved about it. I also found Stephen Merchant's voice/character to be really annoying and out of place...I think it should have been robotic sounding like all the others. Where the first game used mystery to draw you into it's world, Portal 2 dispels all that mystery by taking you into the depths of Aperture Science and it's past. I didn't find the story anywhere near as funny or as engaging as the original Portal, but it was still entertaining for the most part. For the most part, the environments and graphics were great looking, I think that Valve's Source engine can still hold it's own. The scripted creation/destruction in the levels is almost always impressive looking. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, so I can't comment on that, but the in-game store selling stuff that really should have been part of the game is a bit cheap of Valve imo. It's definitely not their strongest title and it doesn't surpass the original, but if you enjoyed the original and like puzzle games you could do much worse. Expand
  49. Oct 15, 2011
    this game is awesome, but seems to have something missing to it compared to the original, but overall a fun experience, so buy it when you see it for 15-29.99 pounds, so... not 60 dollars....

a fun, but somewhat emptyish experience...
    which i think is just me...

80%
  50. Oct 8, 2011
    So, what else is Portal 2 besides a lot of hype? I was waiting for this title to go on sale and when it did I decided 15 dollar would be the right price for this game and bought it. And I was quite right. Let's start off with the good things: I love the source engine. I had all the graphical settings maxed out and there hasn't been a shred of lag during the entire game. The texturing isn'tSo, what else is Portal 2 besides a lot of hype? I was waiting for this title to go on sale and when it did I decided 15 dollar would be the right price for this game and bought it. And I was quite right. Let's start off with the good things: I love the source engine. I had all the graphical settings maxed out and there hasn't been a shred of lag during the entire game. The texturing isn't overly complicated, which isn't necessary to maintain the smooth style in which Portal games are made. Fun environments, beautiful shadows, lighting effects and very slick animations will keep you in the right kind of atmosphere while portaling your way through the Aperture complex (or what's left of it). It's an awesome experience just to see the world around you either being built up or torn apart (you'll never know for sure which).

Unfortunately there are also some things that didn't quite work for me, which has mainly to do with the voicecasting. GlaDOS sounded allright, although a bit too emotional for my taste. I prefered the more reserved subtlety of the first Portal game, but maybe that's just me holding on to the past. But then there is Wheatly. When you put the voice of some annoyingly human british guy in a robot, at least make an effort to make it sound more computerized. And PAUSE between senteces. There's only a second or two rest between the 'helpful' reminders of what you should do and that gets on my nerves pretty fast. I don't like to be rushed unnecessarily just to keep me from getting mildly irritated, let me enjoy my surroundings in peace for a while first.

The storyline gets a bit confusing but I think it worked out just fine overall. There are little twists (and some bigger ones) to keep your interest, and there's plenty of humorous monologues and announcements to smile about. I like the new elements introduced in the puzzles (a bit messy, but who cares), but the puzzles themselves are too easy, making the length of the game a bit on the short side. I hope the either Valve or the modding community will be able to mod us single players some better challenges, as I personally don't care for co-op or any kind of multiplayer at all. All in all Portal 2 is good looking, fun experiece. Looking forward for the mods on this one, I think there's plenty of potential here.
  51. Oct 8, 2011
    Great story, GREAT characters, and great music. It's somewhat short (finished single player in 6 hours), but I don't see that as a con really - it's a puzzle game and ended right when it should have ended. It didn't end too soon, or drag on... just the perfect timing really.

Everything about this game is just done with a lot of polish. I only recently finished it (got it on a $15 sale),

Everything about this game is just done with a lot of polish.

I only recently finished it (got it on a $15 sale), but if I knew it would have been this good I would have bought it on release. This will be a game that will be remembered throughout the times.
  52. Oct 7, 2011
    This is the best game of the year. It is interesting and fun. A lot longer then the previous game. Also the price of the game is very low. Valve just keeps on amazing us with awesome PC games.
  53. Oct 4, 2011
    I loved just about everything about Portal 2. With Portal 1 being one of my favorite games of all time, and Valve being one of my favorite companies, I was dying to play this game.
    When I finally did play it exceeded my expectations. The story in this sequel is phenomenal and much more immersed than the mysterious back story of Portal 1 (Not that it's a bad thing at all). The puzzles all felt fresh thanks to the new mechanics and the levels didn't fail to disappoint. I also liked how you weren't confined to just the upper, clean portion of Aperture Science. You were able to not only visit the same chambers as in Portal 1 but travel to the abandoned segments never seen before. This kept things going well and kept me more interested than before. The voice acting was great although I'm not the biggest Wheatly fan (Even just GLaDOS would have made my day) I still came to like both characters more by the end. The Graphics are anything I can expect from a game, and more. But I'd rather a great story than some eye candied piece of garbage. The only thing against this game is the length, I keep wanting to play more!
    10/10 from me, I can't see how anyone in their right minds could dislike this game but some people don't have the mind for a great story or the puzzles it seems. 11/10 from me
  54. Oct 3, 2011
    Well seeing as there are already plenty of review on this game i'll be short and quick. This game is fantastic. The puzzles are hair pullers and when you figure them out you make yourself feel like your the dumbest person on the planet. Glados is back with her sarcastic and black humor. Wheatley is a great addition too, Stephen Merchant does a fantastic job on voice work. Though for me theWell seeing as there are already plenty of review on this game i'll be short and quick. This game is fantastic. The puzzles are hair pullers and when you figure them out you make yourself feel like your the dumbest person on the planet. Glados is back with her sarcastic and black humor. Wheatley is a great addition too, Stephen Merchant does a fantastic job on voice work. Though for me the character that shined was Cave Johnson's voice over. I was laughing so hard nearly every time a work came out his mouth. My only problem, is that there is really no replay value when finished. A puzzle is only good once. 9/10 Expand
  55. Oct 2, 2011
    Have to say, they did this right. You can't knock them for the DRM. Piracy is rampant, and if they make more money, they make more games. Graphics were great, storyline goofy, scary and compelling. No technical issues encountered, and I bought it day 1 from Steam. Even the music was great.
  56. Sep 28, 2011
    I don't really give a damn about DLC from the start or any thing that all the negative reviews have been spouting off. Portal 2 is probably one of the best looking games Valve has put together thus far. The story is well told and characterizes the diabolical antagonist from the first game, GlaDOS to a phenomenal degree. Voice acting is top-notch. The sections where Cave Johnson speaks hadI don't really give a damn about DLC from the start or any thing that all the negative reviews have been spouting off. Portal 2 is probably one of the best looking games Valve has put together thus far. The story is well told and characterizes the diabolical antagonist from the first game, GlaDOS to a phenomenal degree. Voice acting is top-notch. The sections where Cave Johnson speaks had my side-splitting the whole way. But the game still isn't quite as tight and stellar as the predecessor. If it wasn't for the fact that it was Portal's sequel, I'd probably consider it perfect. But one can't help and compare it to the first. When you do, Portal was just tight and everything that was needed for it to work was there with no extra filler. Portal 2, however, just has so much packed into it. While I appreciate Valve for putting this exceptional piece together, it just isn't the same. I even feel like because of how Portal 1 taught us the basics so well, that Portal 2 just felt easier. The co-op was, obviously, a bit more challenging than the story mode. I want to go back to it soon and finish getting the achievements for it. But the problem is that unless the PS3 guys can download custom maps (which I don't think they can) then the PC guys will stick to their own kind because they'll want to change it up from time to time and not play the same maps and the same puzzles all the time. In short, an amazing game that I wish packed a more focused punch in terms of game play and challenge. But it is still worth buying if you haven't yet. Expand
  57. Sep 26, 2011
    First Person Puzzle game (not a shooter). A worthy sequel to the first one. Superb story, with interesting characters. Visually very impressive. Gameplay varies between solving puzzles and sightseeing around the environment with well balanced pacing. Great emotional impact with varied between laughs and a sense of weariness and drama. Developer Valve also has a history of all-free DLC.First Person Puzzle game (not a shooter). A worthy sequel to the first one. Superb story, with interesting characters. Visually very impressive. Gameplay varies between solving puzzles and sightseeing around the environment with well balanced pacing. Great emotional impact with varied between laughs and a sense of weariness and drama. Developer Valve also has a history of all-free DLC. This game is worth every single penny. Expand
  58. Sep 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is not Portal; to assume that the sequel should be simply more of the original would overlook its brilliant aspects which make the game shine. First off, the puzzles aren't as mind-boggling, simply because the original game was entirely about portals and portals alone, and that forced the player to get creative. That being said, Portal 2's puzzles are more diverse and varied, andPortal 2 is not Portal; to assume that the sequel should be simply more of the original would overlook its brilliant aspects which make the game shine. First off, the puzzles aren't as mind-boggling, simply because the original game was entirely about portals and portals alone, and that forced the player to get creative. That being said, Portal 2's puzzles are more diverse and varied, and carry important aspects of the game's story. Even if they don't have quite the same "WHOA" factor as the original Portal's puzzles, they're still incredibly fun, and are more central to the plot driving the game. That leads me to the best thing about Portal 2: its story. The story is intriguing, intricate, well-told, and incredibly funny. I actually really enjoyed the dark humor and eerie subtext surrounding the original Portal, but unfortunately, that wasn't a huge focus. This is not the case with Portal 2. The characters are fantastic! Wheatley has, in my mind, set a new bar for the fluidity a voice actor can achieve. All in all, this game is absolutely worth the purchase, whether or not you liked/played the original game. I gave it a 9 rather than a 10 because the "in-between chambers" sections were rather linear and lacked the same creativity of the actual test chambers, but since those comprised a minor part of the game, it's not a huge deal. Expand
  59. Sep 20, 2011
    I loved everything of this game, the music, the ambientation, the graphics, the fun, the great voice lines and the great touch of mind resolving games that gives portal 2.

The entire game was freaking fun, always difficult as the first game and introducing some new characters that gives the game a complete new look in the story. The new cooperative addition was completely amazing,

The new cooperative addition was completely amazing, telling a side story after the end of the main story, that is impressive in all kind of ways.

Valve managed to make a game that was completely unbelievable and fun with some incredible innovation and a excellent care of their games.

The reason why i gave a 10/10 is because during all the time I played Portal 2, I never got bored at any moment.

VALVE you did it again and i know that you will keeping doing this with all of your upcoming games.
  60. Sep 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I guess it must be the best video game in history ever... I enjoyed it.
    No videos, all is game-play!... It's wondering. I give it a 10.
    I played Portal 1 first, and the new release is just GREAT. 10 over 10... awesome!
  61. Sep 18, 2011
    Watched this game's announcement from the very first ARG, to the Potato Sack release. And I've gotta say, It lived up to the hype. Story, sound, music, game play, characters? In my humble opinion, they were all virtually flawless. To those on the fence about purchasing this game...do it. I promise you, you will not regret it.
  62. Sep 17, 2011
    Valve crafted Portal 2 well enough. Single play has a chaotic funny accidental story line. Although the puzzle twists are less challenging than Portal 1, the play is well balanced. But I am afraid that the multi play is unbalanced if a teammate doesn
  63. Sep 16, 2011
    I actually cried at the end of Portal 2. No, really. I did. I CRIED BUCKETS. Portal 2's ending was so happy. Yet, so sad. We hope this isn't the end of Portal. I'm sure that the 2000+ of us that gave Portal 2 a positive review would agree. Portal 2 is the best game I've played in my short, sad life yet. It passes Half-Life (not by much, though) It certainly passes ricochet. By miles.
  64. Sep 13, 2011
    Absolutely stunning. This is an epic scale game with new ways to interact with the environment, new puzzle types, new personalities, and a huge helping of witty quips. It's funny as hell, and the mechanics are incredibly rewarding. The only issue is that the puzzles are a little bit too easy and the campaign is therefore quite short (maybe 3-5 hrs). But throw in multiplayer and it'sAbsolutely stunning. This is an epic scale game with new ways to interact with the environment, new puzzle types, new personalities, and a huge helping of witty quips. It's funny as hell, and the mechanics are incredibly rewarding. The only issue is that the puzzles are a little bit too easy and the campaign is therefore quite short (maybe 3-5 hrs). But throw in multiplayer and it's definitely worth $20. Expand
  65. Sep 13, 2011
    Even though I absolutely loved the first Portal,Portal 2 is just plain overrated.It just "surprises" you over and over again.(Just like GlaDoS and her "surprises") Which,apparently,gets boring after a while.

Graphics are quite smooth as you'd expect from a Source engine game,music is great,storyline is good but not as good as the first one.It certainly doesn't deserve a 95 out of 100,maybe 85-90 at max.

I enjoyed it,and the co-op mode is short but fun to play.Has low re-playablity value though.
  66. Sep 13, 2011
    There are two types of people I will write to in this review... those who are new to portal, and those who played the first and are wondering about the sequel. If you are new to Portal, go get Portal 2. Never fear, it will teach you the basic mechanics in the beginning. The single player campaign is masterfully entertaining. It's main downfall is the shorter than average single playerThere are two types of people I will write to in this review... those who are new to portal, and those who played the first and are wondering about the sequel. If you are new to Portal, go get Portal 2. Never fear, it will teach you the basic mechanics in the beginning. The single player campaign is masterfully entertaining. It's main downfall is the shorter than average single player campaign (which might actually be very long if you have trouble solving the puzzles). If you played Portal 1, my advice comes with some warnings. This game is not at all like Portal 1. Sure the puzzles can be similar, but once gels, lasers, and light bridges are added into the mix they become very different. Portal 2 is big, with an epic scale. Where Portal 1 was a contained, intimate experience. If you are like me, you played Portal 1 to death and became very good at "thinking with portals" If so, you may find all the puzzles in Portal 2 too easy with straight-forward solutions. This also led to the campaign feeling short, because I was breezing through the challenges. However, Valve has promised a more difficult map-pack, and I have played some brilliant community-made maps. So if you are a Portal 1 fan, be warned: this is a very good game, but it is not the same at all. Expand
  67. Sep 10, 2011
    A great game that was funny and well made, the only 2 flaws are there are no extra hard challenges and after you compete the single player an multi player, there is no reason for you to keep playing.
  68. Sep 10, 2011
    This is a perfect sequel, everything is better than the first one. There is no downside except that the game is short, but that's normal for almost every game released on this generation. Valve did it again, they created another masterpiece. The co-op is fun and has some great challenge in it. This is simply one of those games you shouldn't miss out this year.
  69. Sep 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is puzzels if you like puzzle in levels play it. The action .... what action is 0% perhaps the last of end game. i need to say its fun at start ofcourse its a new game. But its easy to play the story is fun and offcourse the humor. Its a good game when you are done playing solo or co-op the game is over and not word paying 50 bugs for it wait when the game is below 20 because you play it 1 time nothing more nothing less. Expand
  70. Sep 6, 2011
    While improving on the length of the original game was not that difficult it also managed fairly well on producing more imaginative puzzles although this was expected. It is simply a game that did what i expected, it added more humour, became longer, had new and better puzzles, improved on the dialogue and graphics and was once again very fun as the original was but unlike the original itWhile improving on the length of the original game was not that difficult it also managed fairly well on producing more imaginative puzzles although this was expected. It is simply a game that did what i expected, it added more humour, became longer, had new and better puzzles, improved on the dialogue and graphics and was once again very fun as the original was but unlike the original it did nothing revolutionary. 8.5/10. Expand
  71. Aug 30, 2011
    It is a brilliant game with lots of puzzles and fun throughout! It also has a fantastic story line you unravel and begin to piece together. Its a fantastic game, and what a sequel should be. It is one of valves greatest games.
  72. Aug 27, 2011
    Portal 2 is just flat out fun. The single player is short (about 6-7 hours worth of play time) and isn't as challenging as Portal but it's much more creative and a joy to play. Co-op is incredibly fun and really is the best part about the game.

The only flaws that I can find (and it's a nit pick anyway) are that like the first it is decidedly linear (but the environments are much more open and you don't feel as cramped) and that some of the solutions to the scripted events feel a little overly convenient.

This is a top notch title that's simply fun to play.
  73. Aug 27, 2011
    A strong comeback from portal 1.
    Really good story, and a very enjoyable co-op mode.
    For people who are unknown to this game have a really good toturial.
  74. Aug 27, 2011
    ValvE's done it again! Yes, it's true... they have made another piece of art! Portal 2 is absolutely the most fun, and enjoyable game ever! I'm glad i bought this game instead of L.A Noire...
  75. Aug 25, 2011
    Best game I've played yet. If someone asked me what was my favourite movie I'd almost say Portal 2, just because it's a movie-like experience with many details everywhere. The game is short but extremely detailed in it's lenght.
  76. Aug 24, 2011
    A great game which expands wonderfully on all the originals elements whilst adding some new ones of its own. On top of the fun the main game elements supply, there is also a good deal genuinely humorous dialogue to keeps things interesting which brings me to its main downside - the game does get somewhat repetitive about three quarters of the way through. It is, after all, one puzzleA great game which expands wonderfully on all the originals elements whilst adding some new ones of its own. On top of the fun the main game elements supply, there is also a good deal genuinely humorous dialogue to keeps things interesting which brings me to its main downside - the game does get somewhat repetitive about three quarters of the way through. It is, after all, one puzzle after the next. Still a great though but not a GOTY contender imho. Expand
  77. Aug 24, 2011
    Perfectly braingcrash game from very cool developers
  78. Aug 23, 2011
    This is a game that everyone can play, that everyone can enjoy. Portal 2 follows its legacy, only now you can experience the full might of it, and with your friends in co-op. Sure, it probably has half the content of other full-priced games, but it is over twice the fun. I understand that some people can be deceived, but it's really the only game I've played that has really surprised meThis is a game that everyone can play, that everyone can enjoy. Portal 2 follows its legacy, only now you can experience the full might of it, and with your friends in co-op. Sure, it probably has half the content of other full-priced games, but it is over twice the fun. I understand that some people can be deceived, but it's really the only game I've played that has really surprised me (besides the Half-Life series and the first Portal, which you should get too). VALVe said it and VALVe did it again: when we thought we had all the fun we could get, they managed to surprise us once more. Expand
  79. Aug 22, 2011
    well, the sequel is here, and i enjoyed it! its pretty much portal 1, except more of it. new puzzle elements and longer levels are a nice addition, better graphics are a plus, and the new characters are fun. sadly though, i don't think its any better than the first portal. the first was incredibly challenging and mind bending. it took me forever to figure out some of the puzzles in it, andwell, the sequel is here, and i enjoyed it! its pretty much portal 1, except more of it. new puzzle elements and longer levels are a nice addition, better graphics are a plus, and the new characters are fun. sadly though, i don't think its any better than the first portal. the first was incredibly challenging and mind bending. it took me forever to figure out some of the puzzles in it, and thats good! but when i played portal 2 and beat it, i sat and thought, "wait, thats it? no more puzzles? its over?" and the credits rolled. needless to say, i was sort of disappointed. it seemed too easy and too short, despite it being longer. fortunately, i played coop with my buddies, and i found some really creative and challenging puzzles, that took actual COOPERATION to solve, and i think thats the point of coop, right? in general, i thought it was fun, but too easy. but that doesn't mean bad. Expand
  80. Aug 21, 2011
    Loved the first game. Loved the characters and the story. The puzzles were fun and just the right difficulty, where you might get stuck for 5-10 mins before realizing what to do. Loved this one!
  81. Aug 19, 2011
    Great, just great. Plot is very intriguing, some giant computer is making fun all the time on you and trying to screw you as much as she can.

I don't know how game is so simple and so much interesting. I don't like maze or "logically" games cos they are for narrowed minded ( no offence but 100% of that type of games are linear), and often non-logical. In this you have no bugs, no

In this you have no bugs, no stupid hidden buttons, pappier under camouflaged door step or passage to find. Just riddle and your mind. Clean and provocative.

GREAT i gave it 10!
  82. Aug 13, 2011
    This is an absolutely brilliant game. Everybody should own it, especially since the price dropped to only $30 on steam. The graphics are amazing, and the story was very entertaining.
  83. Aug 13, 2011
    Portal 2 has answered many questions involving the Half-Life universe and really wrapped up the game. It keeps the challenge Portal had and multiplied it by two, creating this new world unseen in the first Portal not to mention Valve's always amazing comic relief
  84. Aug 13, 2011
    best game I have ever played. creative game play, nice puzzle design. plot is pretty good. I think it will make half-life 2 - ep3 difficult to against this game.
  85. Aug 12, 2011
    This is very highly overrated. Its not valve's best game. Nowhere close. The first installment of the series was the best. This though has really slow game play, and the trailers are a load of **** But aside from that, i actually really liked it. You see, overloading a game like portal with possibilities destroys it and makes it really mainstream. The storyline is good, but if you don'tThis is very highly overrated. Its not valve's best game. Nowhere close. The first installment of the series was the best. This though has really slow game play, and the trailers are a load of **** But aside from that, i actually really liked it. You see, overloading a game like portal with possibilities destroys it and makes it really mainstream. The storyline is good, but if you don't play the prime installment of portal, you will get lost in a forest of what the hell and starve to death. Expand
  86. Aug 10, 2011
    I just bought this game a few days ago. I haven't beaten it yet (I know its short), but so far it has won me over. This game, like the first, has such a charm to it that your left flabbergasted at how well put together it is. From the graphics to the voice acting, to the story line and the way its put together to the puzzles. I know I will end up spending hours upon end on this game,I just bought this game a few days ago. I haven't beaten it yet (I know its short), but so far it has won me over. This game, like the first, has such a charm to it that your left flabbergasted at how well put together it is. From the graphics to the voice acting, to the story line and the way its put together to the puzzles. I know I will end up spending hours upon end on this game, probably not only with the main storyline, but also with custom content and MP. Thank you valve, you actually managed to create a game with a proper sense of humor (the reds apparently didn't "get it"). I don't mind that it's short, aslong as those hours spent completing the game are spent with a big-ass smile on my face I am good. With this game I am smiling after I shut it down for the night. Expand
  87. Aug 6, 2011
    Portal 2 is really a masterpiece.When I played it first, I said 'Yes! It's a Valve game'.Because there is no game company which can make a game like this.Graphics,puzzles,gameplay,everything is perfect.Characters are very funny.I mean robots.Dialogues and cinematics are hilarious.I'm sure about that,when you finish this game,there will be a smile on your face.
  88. Aug 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really liked this game. The controls are spot-on, Wheatley is hilarious, and GLaDOS is back and eviler than ever (in the first quarter of the game). Portal starts you off by awakening from cryogenic sleep and meeting Wheatley, an Intelligence Dampening Sphere (as referred to by GLaDOS) that is voiced by Stephen Merchant, who is remarkably funny. As Wheatley takes over Aperture Science, the puzzles tend to get more challenging. The end is spectacular, and left me satisfied. The co-op campaign is also remarkable, straying from the storytelling of the single-player campaign and going for a more entertaining approach. The only thing Portal is missing is the magic and awe of the first game. In the end, Portal 2 is an amazing game and leaves a lasting impression. Expand
  89. Aug 4, 2011
    Portal 2 Is An Amazing Game. The Script Is Hilarious And The Puzzle Aren't To Hard Or To Easy. The Game Is Definitely A Lot Longer Than Portal Was, I Didn't Encounter Many Glitches, And The Only Thing I Was Disappointed With Was The Ending Fight Being A Bit Easy. Overall The Game Is Amazing, And I Highly Recommend It.
  90. Aug 4, 2011
    Great game and game design!!!
    Great game and game design!!!
    It proves that u don't need the latest engine or fastest high resolutions frame rates to make a good game though Mario has pointed this out for years. Though it's within the fps genera this is really a puzzle game with great sarcasm , cake anyone? The puzzle are incremental and few make u think if you have jump strait from portal, though if u haven't there is a small mine numbing moment when u stop walking and start "portal(ing)" your way there!
    Game-play is fantastic and unrivalled Graphics are perfect for its purpose
    Sound is funny beyond belief
  91. Aug 1, 2011
    One of the best games that i ever played, so original, you got a first person game that dont need to even shoot a bullet, and its real nice.
    Valve´s games are really innovative so this one.
  92. Aug 1, 2011
    Puzzles most amazing and innovative. Audio of the game completely flawless. The thrills and surprises have made the game's story and the end of his predecessor and very originial. Perfect is what I set about this game.
  93. Jul 30, 2011
    Genuine and a great successor to its predecessor. Definitely lived up to the hype although I still consider it short and may not be a fair trade, price-wise. Despite that, it was creative, intriguing, and ultimately satisfying.
  94. Jul 29, 2011
    An already original and fantastic game got a sequel. I instantly knew that I HAD to get this game as soon as possible, because I knew I would love it, since the first one was so great. It turns out I was completely right about that. Portal 2 is much longer than its predecessor, it adds more characters, an actual plot, and it also adds many new puzzle elements to an already fun gameplay,An already original and fantastic game got a sequel. I instantly knew that I HAD to get this game as soon as possible, because I knew I would love it, since the first one was so great. It turns out I was completely right about that. Portal 2 is much longer than its predecessor, it adds more characters, an actual plot, and it also adds many new puzzle elements to an already fun gameplay, things such as excursion funnels, repulsion and propulsion gels, aerial faith plates, etc. The game manages to keep on a similar style of addictive humour as the first one, and it has fantastic voice actors who really have done a brilliant job. This game shouldn't leave you bored, because the puzzles are much more diverse now than in the first game and there are a lot of them. Additionally the game does bring up a huge variety of emotions throughout the story, both happy and sad. Portal 2 really is a complete package, because on top of an incredibly fun single-player story mode, it manages to have gorgeous graphics, a really great in-game music, and even a co-op play. I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but a game that can challenge you both logically and emotionally is a game really worth trying. Portal 2 gets a golden star from me, no doubt about it. Expand
  95. Jul 26, 2011
    Portal 2 is a challenge for the mind, puzzles around ever corner. I thought the game was awesome. My favorite part is the end. This game is a game I didn't want to stop playing the story line is fun. At some points Wheatley gets very annoying and makes me want to mute it. One things for sure you really have to think in chapters 6 to 8. I hated 1 thing majorly Wheatley talking itsPortal 2 is a challenge for the mind, puzzles around ever corner. I thought the game was awesome. My favorite part is the end. This game is a game I didn't want to stop playing the story line is fun. At some points Wheatley gets very annoying and makes me want to mute it. One things for sure you really have to think in chapters 6 to 8. I hated 1 thing majorly Wheatley talking its funny at some points like when he says "I AM NOT A MORON!" but some other stuff he says annoys to hell but it makes up for it at the end. So really if you are thinking of buying it buy it you'll have a blast Expand
  96. Jul 26, 2011
    I was a little worried at first at what would become from the sequel of Portal, for most sequels these days seem to be rushed and not done well. However, I found portal 2 to be an enjoyable experience. The main plot was great, the gameplay and the puzzles were easy at first, but during the game they became more and more difficult, which I liked. The typical valve humor and the easter eggsI was a little worried at first at what would become from the sequel of Portal, for most sequels these days seem to be rushed and not done well. However, I found portal 2 to be an enjoyable experience. The main plot was great, the gameplay and the puzzles were easy at first, but during the game they became more and more difficult, which I liked. The typical valve humor and the easter eggs were also very attractive. After I did the singleplayer, I went to co-op, which was terrific too. I am very sure that, if it will be made, Portal 3 will be a success too. Great work Valve, for making another great game! Expand
  97. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is everything great from the original mixed with even greater stuff of its own. The puzzles are the same as always, but there are several new elements such as the repulsion and propulsion gels, the light bridge, and the funnel, that make them seem new again. It's even funnier than the original, with the Stephen Merchant-voiced Wheatley as the comic relief and GLaDOS as alwaysPortal 2 is everything great from the original mixed with even greater stuff of its own. The puzzles are the same as always, but there are several new elements such as the repulsion and propulsion gels, the light bridge, and the funnel, that make them seem new again. It's even funnier than the original, with the Stephen Merchant-voiced Wheatley as the comic relief and GLaDOS as always providing the dark humor. The story delves into what happened before and after Portal and into the history of Aperture Science. It's still a bit short, but with a game like this who really cares? Expand
  98. Jul 24, 2011
    The only people giving this game negative are people being hired from other game companies. But in all actuality Portal 2 is a fantastic addition.

The first thing you will notice is the massive graphical improvements. Even on medium settings the game looks beautiful and runs smoothly on any computer that can handle most valve games. I was surprised my 2007 machine was able to run it so well. Part of my surprise was how many objects were moving at once. Literally entire levels change shape and don't reduce my framerate. Story wise Portal 2 is very interesting. First you start off trying to take out Glados but when you finally do, a very surprising plot twist occurs. I didn't see it coming, and I am a person who can predict exactly what happens in movies and games within the first few minutes. There are also several easter eggs that reveal more to the story of Portal however some of them are well hidden or are just in places you won't see if you just run through the game. The dialogue is also very entertaining, even better than the first as the characters are more dynamic. The puzzles are, while not mind boggling are much more challenging than the first. You usually won't be playing a level for more than 20 minutes, however the puzzles are on a much larger scale. Sometimes you will even need to backtrack to solve further puzzles. There are also many more puzzle elements than from the first portal. Portal isn't about creating holes and using them to make a box land on a button anymore. It's much more now.

The Co-Op is pretty fun. You may want to play with people you trust though. Unlike other Co-Op games where one person can still handle everything, Portal 2 Co-Op is IMPOSSIBLE to beat without two people working properly together, and Valve designed the co-op levels specifically so people have to work together. When playing with friends Co-op is a blast, even if you are just goofing around. The only downside to the game is, like with the first portal, it is short. On a casual play through I was able to beat the single player in about 8 hours. However, it's still a lot of fun to replay. I clocked in 30 hours in the first portal and that was a shorter game with a lot less features. I'm sure I will find myself playing portal 2 for a long time.
  99. Jul 24, 2011
    This game was a very fun game! To put it simply it was AWESOME! The ending was great too, I never thought it would end the way it did! I recommend buying this game it is worth it!
  100. Jul 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is an overall fun experience. Based on how much me and my friends giggled and laughed aloud, it was funny. Portal 2 may not appeal to all Portal fans, but if you can look over some of the changes, the game is great fun for everyone. Pick it up when you can, and have a friend for the Co-op campaign.

1. Pelit (Finland)