Portal 2 PC

9.0

1. Feb 23, 2017
    Didn't finish the game. Yeah, the plot is not so bad, the voice acting and dialogues are nearly perfect. That ball robot is a real charachter and a personality. I thaught it Was Chris Martin from Coldplay who gave him his voice all the time I was playing)
    But as I've already said, I didn't finish the game, cause for me it became really boring and grey. The second part of the came is a total crap, cheap and very cliche. I don't want to be very subjective, but it's just not what I've expected from the sequel of a game I find on of the most innovative and original.
  2. Jun 9, 2016
    Not as good as the original. Puzzles were too easy and cuing was too obvious. Multiplayer was amazing but way too short. Also, Wheatley is freaking annoying.

It is still a beautiful and worth playing experience by Valve.
  3. Apr 9, 2016
    The portals based puzzles are both clever, challenging and fun. The puzzles are tastefully designed. The paint mechanics are particularly fun and successfully add an organic element to this otherwise slightly rigid world. Completing the many challenges was always rewarding, and never felt like a drag. The pacing is adequate. The final boss was a bit of disappointment from a creative/puzzleThe portals based puzzles are both clever, challenging and fun. The puzzles are tastefully designed. The paint mechanics are particularly fun and successfully add an organic element to this otherwise slightly rigid world. Completing the many challenges was always rewarding, and never felt like a drag. The pacing is adequate. The final boss was a bit of disappointment from a creative/puzzle standpoint. The story is serviceable and manages to keep you entertained until the end. The voice acting script of the main villain is reminiscent of the archetypal anthropomorphic feminists **** that have inundated modern society; I found in fact the humour to be uninspired, irritatingly cliche, and ultimately not funny. The audio-visual presentation is polished but lacks a bit of flair. That said, this is one of the rare puzzle games that can easily be recommended to anyone. Expand
  4. Sep 23, 2015
    Some of the puzzles in this game are nice, but usually quite simple. At least they're not too annoying. Unfortunately the game is very linear, and that is too noticeable. It feels rather empty and has annoying "characters". The plot is fairly simplistic and the only real action happens in on-rails sections where you just sit and wait for something to happen. The "special effects" are theSome of the puzzles in this game are nice, but usually quite simple. At least they're not too annoying. Unfortunately the game is very linear, and that is too noticeable. It feels rather empty and has annoying "characters". The plot is fairly simplistic and the only real action happens in on-rails sections where you just sit and wait for something to happen. The "special effects" are the standard pap that hasn't changed since Half-Life 1. The different liquids are fun, but most of all I love the hard-light bridges. Generally though, the game really lacks any life. Expand
  5. Aug 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second installment is more ambitious and, unfortunately, much longer than the first. Whilst the first game had a perfect run-time, the second dragged a lot with too many puzzles. The distracted me from the progression of the plot and I felt mentally exhausted by the end of the game. The ending too doesn't work for me. I guess the ending song wasn't needed and felt like it had to be there just because Portal 1 had it. (The turret song too felt out of place)

Fortunately, my complaints stop here. I still love and admire the simple but ingenious plot that wonderfully dives deeper into Aperture facility. It felt incredibly atmospheric, like the facility was a character itself. Like the first game, this felt really alive as well.

I love that they only introduced one more character, Wheatley and did not complicate the plot too much. Why, it's because of him we experienced one of the greatest plot twists in gaming history, we got to share a reluctant relationship with GLaDOS and we got introduced to the man behind Aperture science. The story development is par excellence.

The game still retains the incredible humor that made the first game so great and it goes beyond that! First, Wheatley giggles us with his nervous incessant talking. Then GLaDOS adds more sarcasm to the recipe. On top of it, the great J.K. Simmons kills it when he personifies Cave Johnson!! God, if that's not enough, GLaDOS and Wheatley's one-on-one arguments are pure gold! I was especially fond of those black defective turrets, too funny!

With newer additions to the puzzles, they got more challenging and there were like 4-5 puzzles that really pained me but I felt smarter when I got past them! Portalling to the moon was a grand twist and I was quite over-whelmed by that scene!

I still prefer Portal because this experience was tiring but there's still an incredible story and ton load of memorable moments to make it a worthwhile experience.
  6. Feb 3, 2015
    It rides on the success of its predeccessor. Not nearly as much fun or unique, and the talking robot is an aannoying brit who just doesn't shut up and tells poor jokes. It ruined the game for me, I couldn't even play it more than a few minutes before uninstalling it due to that robot and the repetitive nature of the game.
  7. Dec 15, 2014
    Even though this is a very good game, it does not make much sense to figure in the top ten ever best pc games. It's entertaining and the scenarios are interesting to walk around and figure out the puzzles. But story is not so compelling and action is limited. Definitely one of the best PUZZLE games I've played.
  8. Sep 15, 2014
    An enjoyable game, especially in the first half. I did feel it dragged on a bit though. Later in the game it got a little bit repetitive and boring climbing through random sites and ladders. But the majority of the rooms and puzzles are clever and rewarding. I liked the progressive difficulty and array of the puzzles too.
  9. Jul 30, 2014
    From my point of view this is an extremely overrated title and especially after experiencing the amazing little gem that was first Portal, P2 is quite a disappointment for me. My guess is that all the praise is coming mostly from people who didn't play the original, because this is basically 1:1 the same thing, only 4 times longer, but while the short gameplay was perfectly effective forFrom my point of view this is an extremely overrated title and especially after experiencing the amazing little gem that was first Portal, P2 is quite a disappointment for me. My guess is that all the praise is coming mostly from people who didn't play the original, because this is basically 1:1 the same thing, only 4 times longer, but while the short gameplay was perfectly effective for the first Portal, here it's getting tedious after about 10 hours. It's still good, it kept the quality humor and the addition of multiplayer is very interesting, but I feel like all the main trump cards have already been used in the first Portal. 6/10 Expand
  10. Aug 18, 2013
    I'm not a big Valve fan, but Portal 2 is much better and than their other games. You have to go trough the first set of puzzles, then the story takes a big turn. The writing is smart, the gameplay feels very polished. The environments are mindblowing. And finally, it has a decent ending!
  11. Aug 5, 2013
    A vast improvement upon the original, but still insanely over-hyped, fun for a while, but can't see myself playing through multiple times. A solid puzzle game.
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    It's basically Portal 1, but dumbed down and with no-so-good humor and a general hollywood-style feeling. Yes, the levels are now more detailed, there is much more stuff lying around and there is a dumb assistant, but overall I got a feeling that they just wanted to make the game more accessible and appealing to idiots. Unfortunately, this also made the game less appealing to guys likeIt's basically Portal 1, but dumbed down and with no-so-good humor and a general hollywood-style feeling. Yes, the levels are now more detailed, there is much more stuff lying around and there is a dumb assistant, but overall I got a feeling that they just wanted to make the game more accessible and appealing to idiots. Unfortunately, this also made the game less appealing to guys like myself. Portal 1's setting was cool, why do you need to add this mass-culture wrapping to it? Expand
  13. Jul 18, 2013
    Portal 2. How do I put this? Portal 2 is an improvement over Portal 1 in every way imaginable. But that isn't saying much. If you've played the original you know what to expect. Running through 20ish test chambers. Go through the facility like in the last test chamber, but it's way bigger this time. Rinse and repeat. And if you didn't play the original here's a one word summary: boring.Portal 2. How do I put this? Portal 2 is an improvement over Portal 1 in every way imaginable. But that isn't saying much. If you've played the original you know what to expect. Running through 20ish test chambers. Go through the facility like in the last test chamber, but it's way bigger this time. Rinse and repeat. And if you didn't play the original here's a one word summary: boring.

Portal 2 side steps most of the pitfalls of the original though. There are more tools, a fact made painfully obvious when I tried to design a map with only stuff from Portal 1. There's actually a story this time. And there are some puzzles that will actually stump you.

And the map editor is pretty cool, even though playing your own puzzles is never fun. And I have to force close the game when quitting, weird.
  14. May 14, 2013
    Portal 2 suffers from too much of a good thing syndrome. Yes this game is fun and yes the game mechanics are sound, but after the first portal game this one has a tough act to follow. It does everything right and very little wrong, but after awhile it does indeed become too much of a good thing and even though its not a bad thing. I found my self getting over exposed to the game whilePortal 2 suffers from too much of a good thing syndrome. Yes this game is fun and yes the game mechanics are sound, but after the first portal game this one has a tough act to follow. It does everything right and very little wrong, but after awhile it does indeed become too much of a good thing and even though its not a bad thing. I found my self getting over exposed to the game while actually playing the game. Portal 2 doesn't really do anything wrong, but how much chocolate can you eat over and over again? Expand
  15. Apr 23, 2013
    Excellent SP story! Now.... Portal 2 is worthy, but overly simplistic due to also being available on consoles that use analogue controls. Hey, at least we have the steam workshop so we don't have to deal with the simple console based level design anymore. If you want a more challenging experience look to the portal 2 workshop on steam.
  16. Mar 17, 2013
    It was 2009 when I first played Portal, it instantly became one of my favourite games, I praise on it's deep, dark, sorrowful storyline and ambiance. After I bought Portal 2, I was met broken expectation and new experiences, it's no deep, mysterious like Portal anymore but instead a quite cheerful and sharp game, I was not so impressed of it's new tone of ambiance and music, and it's openIt was 2009 when I first played Portal, it instantly became one of my favourite games, I praise on it's deep, dark, sorrowful storyline and ambiance. After I bought Portal 2, I was met broken expectation and new experiences, it's no deep, mysterious like Portal anymore but instead a quite cheerful and sharp game, I was not so impressed of it's new tone of ambiance and music, and it's open and clear storyline, but to the fact that it's an experience every gamer should come across off, I would say the original Portal would have entertained me more. Expand
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    I couldn't keep playing past an hour. Having played the original when it came out, I expected more out of a 50 dollar game because the first was about $10. After a few puzzles I was disappointed. Everything felt the same, and the puzzles were too easy. The great part about the first game was how different it was from other puzzle games. Portal was so magical because of the feeling I gotI couldn't keep playing past an hour. Having played the original when it came out, I expected more out of a 50 dollar game because the first was about $10. After a few puzzles I was disappointed. Everything felt the same, and the puzzles were too easy. The great part about the first game was how different it was from other puzzle games. Portal was so magical because of the feeling I got from discovering and mastering each mechanic for he first time. But I could never play Portal again, because it's just not the same. Portal 2 felt just like replaying the first game, it was just too easy. I'd give it an 7 or 8 if it had only been $20. Expand
  18. Feb 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 caused a major bomb to go off in fans when it it was announced in 2010. But was all of the fuss worth it? This is my review of Portal 2 for the PC.

STORY: One of GLaDOS's old corrupted cores named Wheatley accidentally turns GLaDOS back online. So GLaDOS drags Chell into a post-apocalyptic Aperture Laboratories to do more testing. I bet that the story could've been done a bit better, though. It just seems a bit lazily done. (7)

PRESENTATION: The utterly hilarious dialogue is done even better with the introduction of Wheatley. Wheatley is such a funny character thanks to him not having the brightest LED lights. GLaDOS is also more hilarious than ever! Another thing is the test chambers. There's so much to say about the test chambers! In the beginning of the game there are overgrown plants everywhere to symbolize how long it's been since the first game. Also, while the facility is being rebuilt, you get to see the chambers be built right before your eyes! New propulsion gels have been created too. Made to make you jump higher, run faster, or place portals on non-portal surfaces. They make way for new puzzle solving capabilities!(10)

GAMEPLAY: The gameplay is using the same engine that Valve has been using for decades. I'd say something good about it, but by now it just feels re-hashed and lazy. But for being used well, it gets a five. (5)

FINAL LEVEL (SPOILERS!): So midway through the game, Wheatley takes over the building. So you need to track him down to his lair, and defeat him! This level is obviously based from the escape part of Portal 1, which was my favorite part excluding the battle with GLaDOS. Except this time it's much more straightforward, and there are less forks in the road. Yet, you could say that there are a lot more death traps in this one. When you reach Wheatley, it just doesn't feel as epic as meeting GLaDOS in the first game. The boss battle is rather straightforward considering the fact that Wheatley TELLS you how to defeat him! I think the writers went off the deep end with his idiocy on that one. Then Wheatley gets sent to space forever, GLaDOS then frees you from the laboratories. Behind you, the door opens, and what comes out of it but a charred companion cube. (7)

COMPLETION BONUS: This has an extremely similar reward to that of Portal 1. The title screen is different. This time it shows Wheatley lost in space. But instead of being disappointing, it actually feels good. Seeing that homicidal robot get a taste of his own medicine! MWAHAHAHAHA!! But it still doesn't feel as rewarding as a bonus level though. (6)

Overall, Portal 2 is my favorite game of the year, and I look forward doing the same thing I did with Portal 1. Replaying it over, and over again! 7 out of 10)
  19. Nov 13, 2012
    The graphics are acceptable,the History Line is amusing. The game play is a puzzle, but it don't have re playability, the game play in some point is boring, they could put more action.
  20. Aug 11, 2012
    This game is really good if you get it on sale on Steam. I wouldn't suggest getting it at full price because the game simply isn't long enough. It is much longer than Portal. The first time playing through will take probably around 5 hours on average.
  21. Aug 6, 2012
    3+/5 (Kinda good)

There is alot to like in Portal 2, but there is also something that makes it KINDA "meh": I've already been excited ONCE by the "portal mechanic". It was called PORTAL 1. Now, you've GOT to give me something MORE!

Apparently, the "more" part is multiplayer, but I haven't tried it! So I'll say the game is kinda good!

Try it if it seems interesting to you!
  22. May 12, 2012
    I have very mixed feelings about this game: I had fun playing the single player, even if flawed, and the co-op is without a doubt a great addition. But still, this is definitely the MOST overrated game of the 2011. First of all, the single player has a good plot that, unlike the predecessor, has a very good pace, it always keeps up the curiosity and has good twists now and then. However,I have very mixed feelings about this game: I had fun playing the single player, even if flawed, and the co-op is without a doubt a great addition. But still, this is definitely the MOST overrated game of the 2011. First of all, the single player has a good plot that, unlike the predecessor, has a very good pace, it always keeps up the curiosity and has good twists now and then. However, the puzzles in the single player are just "good", mainly because MANY resembles previous puzzles just in another format, and the new ideas (like the gels, the energy tunnels, the lightways, etc) are not used at their maximum, and in the end some of the puzzles just look similar to each others. I also heard complaints about the longevity, and I'm not totally sure: it lasted about 7 hours to me, without rushing or being too slow, but since nowadays "adventure games" (or fps, or whatever works for you) don't even last over 4 hours, I say it's "good". About the co-op, I initially had doubts, but when I played I finally witnessed how good it was: the puzzles there are very good thought and actually incite team work AND team thinking...wish they were the same in the single player. These maps infact are good, a LOT, so much that I wanted them so badly in the single player: they were challenging and I had fun to do them, because they were good, and I DARE you to do it with perfect strangers: yes, it is usually better with friends, I know, but If you can't find any friends to play with, these puzzles will make be extremely hard to complete, because I tried over 6 times, with random players, and none of them lasted until the end of ONE single section, leaving me behind and almost quitting this mode ( I have to thank a friend to help me out there, or else I wouldn't be able to judge this mode). It was a mass disappointment to discover that the co-op has good maps, and not the single player. And now, if you hadn't notice, I mainly said "good" from the start, and it is because this game is just good: it's not perfect because this game adds barely much: the co-op is a good addition yes but still this game felt more like an expansion (a costy one) with very few tweaks to the gameplay, and even if the plot is good and the co-op is very fun, I don't feel it is worth the full price (even though it's cheap as hell nowadays). I'm not saying it's a bad game anyway and actually I say to give it a try, especially the first Portal, if you like puzzle games, but it's definitely NOT the best game of the year 2011. Expand
  23. Apr 3, 2012
    Good, but not great. Voice acting great. Puzzles too easy. Next to zero replayability. Some good additions from the first game. Where are the steps/portals/time challenges? Only good value for money if you can get it cheaply. Very funny in parts.
  24. Mar 25, 2012
    Fun game but way too short. Took at most 8 hours to complete, and another 4 for the the coop campaign. This is simply not enough considering that there's next to no replayability once you've solved the puzzles. - Puzzles that, to me, seldom seemed challenging, and I reckon one would be better off grabbing portal 1 than this game. - It's a shame as Portal 2 really had a lot of potential,Fun game but way too short. Took at most 8 hours to complete, and another 4 for the the coop campaign. This is simply not enough considering that there's next to no replayability once you've solved the puzzles. - Puzzles that, to me, seldom seemed challenging, and I reckon one would be better off grabbing portal 1 than this game. - It's a shame as Portal 2 really had a lot of potential, especially for some challenging coop gameplay. Expand
  25. Mar 4, 2012
    Portal 2 is a great cinematic experience. But as a game and as a sequel to Portal it is horrible.
    Every aspect of the game is inferior to Portal: the writing, the gameplay, the pace.
    There are really no puzzles, just platforming. 99% of "puzzles" involving shooting the 2 portable wall segments you can see and walking through the closest one, repeat. The great cinematics can make it seem
    There are really no puzzles, just platforming.
    The great cinematics can make it seem like you are doing something interesting, but it is all a transparent illusion.
  26. Feb 29, 2012
    I must say I'm a bit surprised by how high the Portal games are generally rated. Portal 2 was more fun than the original, but it still only took me about 8 hours to play through the entire game, and that's with me exploring around a bit and not really hurrying. Despite 8 hours being very short for a game, it felt like a very long 8 hours (and not in a good way). Much like the originalI must say I'm a bit surprised by how high the Portal games are generally rated. Portal 2 was more fun than the original, but it still only took me about 8 hours to play through the entire game, and that's with me exploring around a bit and not really hurrying. Despite 8 hours being very short for a game, it felt like a very long 8 hours (and not in a good way). Much like the original Portal, things simply get very repetitive, very quickly. Despite some fun dialogue and interesting levels, for the most part, there just isn't a whole lot of depth to the Portal series. It's just a bunch of fairly simple logic puzzles, running around to complete those puzzles, and witty dialogue. That's ok for what it is, but it's not something that I fell in love with. Expand
  27. Feb 11, 2012
    With all of the Source Engine epic animations, movement and prop details, Portal 2 is still disappointing those with the less perfect hardware users, and the game itself built in a strange way; In the ending of Portal it clearly seems that the player has managed to escape the aperture science labs.
    and in Portal 2, the player starts right in the building which is half broken and self rebuilding after it got shutdown? well, VALVe - Good luck next time!
  28. Feb 10, 2012
    Great game. Great humor/great void acting. Interesting look into the origins of the aperature. The levels aren't particularly difficult to figure out, but at least stumped me once or twice for 10 minutes or so, and they do have new little things to try beyond the portal gun from the first game. Even the length of the game is pretty good to be fun but not get too tedious. The onlyGreat game. Great humor/great void acting. Interesting look into the origins of the aperature. The levels aren't particularly difficult to figure out, but at least stumped me once or twice for 10 minutes or so, and they do have new little things to try beyond the portal gun from the first game. Even the length of the game is pretty good to be fun but not get too tedious. The only problem really is the PRICE vs the LENGTH. I bought the game on sale for like $5 on steam, so i have no problem. But at anything above $10 it's just not a good value for your money. The game on average takes people 8-12 hours. In my opinon any game that costs you anything more than $1 per hour of entertainment is just not a great value when there are plenty of titles that will. Expand
  29. Nov 15, 2011
    if you liked portal 1 and want more of the same with a little bit more this is it fun and funny game all round A1 game . Only issue i have is the loading screens almost every puzzle..
    its just long enuff to be fun performance is well its a valve game so 200fps and it looks good very clean
  30. Oct 20, 2011
    Portal 2 - an amazing game... not. I found it a bit boring after playing a couple of tests, it doesnt keep me playing too long to realise how to do the tests. It took me 8.2 hours to pass it but its not all negative. The end its simply the best ive ever seen in a game and the liked the characters in the game. All this and i only give 7 out of 10, sorry.

1. Pelit (Finland)