8.8

1. Aug 13, 2011
    This is an absolutely brilliant game. Everybody should own it, especially since the price dropped to only $30 on steam. The graphics are amazing, and the story was very entertaining.
  2. Aug 19, 2011
    Great, just great. Plot is very intriguing, some giant computer is making fun all the time on you and trying to screw you as much as she can.

I don't know how game is so simple and so much interesting. I don't like maze or "logically" games cos they are for narrowed minded ( no offence but 100% of that type of games are linear), and often non-logical. In this you have no bugs, no

In this you have no bugs, no stupid hidden buttons, pappier under camouflaged door step or passage to find. Just riddle and your mind. Clean and provocative.

GREAT i gave it 10!
  3. Aug 24, 2011
    A great game which expands wonderfully on all the originals elements whilst adding some new ones of its own. On top of the fun the main game elements supply, there is also a good deal genuinely humorous dialogue to keeps things interesting which brings me to its main downside - the game does get somewhat repetitive about three quarters of the way through. It is, after all, one puzzleA great game which expands wonderfully on all the originals elements whilst adding some new ones of its own. On top of the fun the main game elements supply, there is also a good deal genuinely humorous dialogue to keeps things interesting which brings me to its main downside - the game does get somewhat repetitive about three quarters of the way through. It is, after all, one puzzle after the next. Still a great though but not a GOTY contender imho. Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2011
    ValvE's done it again! Yes, it's true... they have made another piece of art! Portal 2 is absolutely the most fun, and enjoyable game ever! I'm glad i bought this game instead of L.A Noire...
  5. Sep 20, 2011
    I loved everything of this game, the music, the ambientation, the graphics, the fun, the great voice lines and the great touch of mind resolving games that gives portal 2.

The entire game was freaking fun, always difficult as the first game and introducing some new characters that gives the game a complete new look in the story. The new cooperative addition was completely amazing,

The new cooperative addition was completely amazing, telling a side story after the end of the main story, that is impressive in all kind of ways.

Valve managed to make a game that was completely unbelievable and fun with some incredible innovation and a excellent care of their games.

The reason why i gave a 10/10 is because during all the time I played Portal 2, I never got bored at any moment.

VALVE you did it again and i know that you will keeping doing this with all of your upcoming games.
  6. Sep 26, 2011
    First Person Puzzle game (not a shooter). A worthy sequel to the first one. Superb story, with interesting characters. Visually very impressive. Gameplay varies between solving puzzles and sightseeing around the environment with well balanced pacing. Great emotional impact with varied between laughs and a sense of weariness and drama. Developer Valve also has a history of all-free DLC.First Person Puzzle game (not a shooter). A worthy sequel to the first one. Superb story, with interesting characters. Visually very impressive. Gameplay varies between solving puzzles and sightseeing around the environment with well balanced pacing. Great emotional impact with varied between laughs and a sense of weariness and drama. Developer Valve also has a history of all-free DLC. This game is worth every single penny. Expand
  7. Oct 7, 2011
    This is the best game of the year. It is interesting and fun. A lot longer then the previous game. Also the price of the game is very low. Valve just keeps on amazing us with awesome PC games.
  8. Nov 3, 2011
    One of my favourite games ever, i never thought i would be saying that. It is such an improvement on the first one too and i love the story and banter throughout the game. My only gripe would be that the levels are too easy, i found i wizzed through the first half of the game.
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    I really loved this game. It has great puzzles and the story was really well put together. I personally thought Wheatly was awesome lol. I highly recommend this game if you like solving puzzles and are looking for an interesting story while you play your games. I can see how this game may not be for everyone but I think that if you give this game a chance then you will come to really enjoy it.
  10. Nov 13, 2011
    till like couple years back i was a "fancy games" gamer ... you know by fancy i mean any game that looked good and had a lot of action even if it was mindless. i took video games as a form of entertainment. but today i know and have felt very well that gaming is an unique art which actually is a beautiful amalgamation of many arts... a kind in which not only one art works well buttill like couple years back i was a "fancy games" gamer ... you know by fancy i mean any game that looked good and had a lot of action even if it was mindless. i took video games as a form of entertainment. but today i know and have felt very well that gaming is an unique art which actually is a beautiful amalgamation of many arts... a kind in which not only one art works well but everything goes together to bring in front of you a masterpiece. every masterpiece (if it's a masterpiece) is different from the others. i know not every game hits that spot but when they do they absorb you. PORTAL 2 is one of them. i actually was not sure if i'd enjoy this game cause when the last time i played portal 1, i was like "eh?! if i wanna solve puzzles i'll get a dedicated puzzle game" which don't interest me to be honest. so i admit i downloaded a pirated copy of this game to see if i could enjoy it or not. i mean ign, gamespot, whatnot etc. have been raving about this game giving it full or almost full. so even after downloading i didn't play it. when i finished playing a lot of other big title which actually didn't satisfy and met my expectations, then i thought let's try it out. and here my review goes:
    AUDIO- 10.0- i know i'm giving it too much to be true but when you'll play this game and if you agree with my view on "GAMING AS AN ART", you'll find that the audio totally supports the game's style and direction. i mean there are very few sound elements in this game that you can compare to their authentic real counter-parts which have been done well but the other elements are totally pure and beautiful imagination of the guys who are part of the sound department in this game. whether its music or the turret robots who are so cleanly showing they're "camouflaging" their "intentions" of hurting you, everything is just unique and perfect. the nature of ridicule & patronizing in their remarks were effortlessly working to irritate me so that my desperation to get rid of them is only catalyzed further like you wanna get rid of a bully who keeps annoying you or irritating you for no reason. YEAH so coming to the dialogues now. GLADdos was voiced in such a humane manner that you definitely could feel the conflict that's present subtly in her remarks. and the same goes for wheatly who was a typical example of the fact "you only get to know someone when you hand them the power." these characters despite being robots were only and actually characterizing humans in someway or other who, you can imagine, created them. that great the audio overall is.
    GRAPHICS- 8.0- this is for sure that this game was never meant to boast about it's graphics but it's art direction and visual quality is such that you are easily able to feel that you're a part of this game.. it's world (which actually is only a very gigantic lab) although it doesn't come close to anything that possibly can happen or exist in reality.
    GAMPLAY and STORY- 10.0- before i start for this, please note i took two categories together because this game calls for it. the gameplay is a part of the story. level design and the puzzles are just nothing short of awe and amazement. the mechanics involved in the game were the simplest i've come across since a long time. you only need to move, jump, crouch and shoot your portal gun. the devs did this with the purpose that i believe was so you don't have to keep track of your reflexes all the time (like generally you've to in today's FPS games) and you can easily concentrate on the puzzles using your highly intellectual, logical brain. (yes even i didn't know that i just wasn't a precise-key-hitting-at-the-right-moment-adrenaline-junky but also had a mind and a brain that worked for higher purposes of life.) but everytime it was the persistence and the actions of our silent character Chell that played one of the key elements in the story. And with that it was GLADdos and wheatley's reactions everytime that were complimentary to the story-telling. now to the story, usually some games, especially RPGs, are known to have protagonists that are morally or socially "clean-slate" for you to forge your own character. Well in portal 2, you've a morally, conclusively "clean-slate" story. At the end of the game you'll feel something about the characters, situations...etc. overall story that i think will be different for someone else's and which is something i don't have words for because that's how this game becomes so personal to you. (P.S.- don't compare your feelings or conclusions of this game to someone else's because Valve made this game for you and not someone else.)
    So after experiencing something like this game which not only satisfied me but also touched me to the core of my heart and gave me a reason to be proud of being a gamer, I knew this game is a must buy because again it was definitely made for me.
  11. Nov 22, 2011
    What happening with me i'll gonna be crazy with the puzzles and glados e the little robot, is the best game that i play, side by sibe whith skyrim. portal 2 is the best thing of 2011 and the better game of all time, emotion times, execiting times, crazys times with the puzzles is the fanstastic adventure i recommendy for everryone!
  12. Dec 11, 2011
    This is one of the better games I have played. I have finished the multiplayer and single player. Most single player games can't hold my attention, and I move on to the multiplayer, but the story line was fantastic and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the story line comments as they were very funny. The maps were not super hard where you got frustrated. I think they walked aThis is one of the better games I have played. I have finished the multiplayer and single player. Most single player games can't hold my attention, and I move on to the multiplayer, but the story line was fantastic and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the story line comments as they were very funny. The maps were not super hard where you got frustrated. I think they walked a fine line to make the maps fun without being super hard to figure out. I would recommend this game to my friends. Expand
  13. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is fun but once you do all the levels its kinda B O R I N G so im hoping they add like a random map genorator thing for single player and multiplayer so that no1 can tell u how to do things and u never get bored cuz u completed the game overall i did like it i did
  14. Dec 31, 2011
    I got this game from a friend, played it on my PC. as soon as I hit that "start" button, I was addicted. This is certinly one of VALVe's best games. I like the music for credits, in fact I have gotten an mp3 for it. I'm also glad it wasn't bloody, I hate when my sisters look over my shoulder and see all the blood and gore, besides it disgusts me too. And my final statement of this gameI got this game from a friend, played it on my PC. as soon as I hit that "start" button, I was addicted. This is certinly one of VALVe's best games. I like the music for credits, in fact I have gotten an mp3 for it. I'm also glad it wasn't bloody, I hate when my sisters look over my shoulder and see all the blood and gore, besides it disgusts me too. And my final statement of this game "It's what marks the new standard of what a TRUE game should be." Expand
  15. Mar 19, 2012
    Very good game and improvements over Portal due to better graphics, more complex maps, and a better plot. The newly added features such as gels and coop modes really made the game much better to play. However, I took one mark off for day-one dlcs.
  16. Apr 3, 2012
    Portal 2 is amazing. the campaign's humour and direction gripped me from the start and i have to say that this is the funniest and most challenging game of 2011.
  17. May 11, 2012
    Portal 2, Game of the Year, and a must purchase.
    Portal 2, Game of the Year, and a must purchase.
    I find it so frustrating to see people putting scores in the mixed and negative end of the spectrum for reasons such as not appreciating the humour, or finding the game not aimed at their demographic. While I understand all reviews are going to be somewhat subjective are people really that incapable of understanding that if a game has to be based on what everyone likes then we are just going to have games that are half decent at everything instead of amazing at just a few things?

How about recognising Portal 2's extension upon Portal's brilliance, how it took a game, so close to perfection and blew everyone's minds into oblivion when they developed a game that completely rewrote how perfection should be perceived. That is what the developers have done here. As a game enthusiast - but not a true gamer, I have great respect for a developer who develops behind the doors, responding little to the push and shove of corporate media and hungry investors, or the manipulative maneuvers of the gaming audience whom wish for nothing but a game designed just for them.

Portal 1 was the true baby of the developers at Valve, and Portal 2 is what happens when the baby grows up into a full game. A laundry list of intuitive and complex puzzles, a handful of interesting and engaging characters and possibly the most rewarding gameplay that I have experienced from a single player in my lengthy 20 year gaming career.

Completing each puzzle at first seems like a struggle, there is a moment where you think to yourself "How am I supposed to do this?" this is the moment where most games of today hold your hand unashamedly; deterring you from being intellectually challenged or even challenged at all. Not Portal 2, Portal 2 has a great set of tutorial levels at the start that provide story, structure and a learning curve that many developers could aspire to... copy. Not tiring for even the greatest of gamers these initial levels introduce the many facets of Portal gameplay for the new and experienced and get everyone ready for the challenges ahead. I never felt like I was drowning because of not being told about a certain aspect of a puzzle room - as each puzzle was cleverly marked with particular coloured panels that were capable of interacting with certain devices, such as your portal gun; however at the same time I was always challenged to work out how I could use the set of devices to complete a certain objective.

All of the above is as true of co-op as it is in single player, but co-op just takes the cake (and makes it a lie). The cooperative experience here is as refined as any you would find in any game that ever existed, a great length and a great many puzzles, the same tutorial level structure that you experience in the singleplayer but to get you comfortable with having 4 portals and 2 people involved in the puzzle - as well as challenging 2 minds at the same time.

If there is anything bad about this game, it's that some people unfortunately cannot see it's greatness.
  18. May 15, 2012
    A Great game with some of the best voice acting performances I have ever seen or heard. The only blemish on this game is the fairly useless co-op (perhaps they will allow people to build co-op levels?) and the game feeling like an extended edition of Portal 1 with the mid section of the game dragging the game down a bit. But still, an overall fantastic game. And with the map editor nowA Great game with some of the best voice acting performances I have ever seen or heard. The only blemish on this game is the fairly useless co-op (perhaps they will allow people to build co-op levels?) and the game feeling like an extended edition of Portal 1 with the mid section of the game dragging the game down a bit. But still, an overall fantastic game. And with the map editor now released has endless play for those that love puzzles. Expand
  19. May 30, 2012
    What can I say? I loved this game because it was funny, a worthy sequel and a truly enchanting experience. If you don't have this game, but you have the money, by all means get it. It's a beautiful visual journey that captures the history of Aperture Science and what could have been. There is charming music, as in the original. Charming? More like AWESOME. The only problem I had was thatWhat can I say? I loved this game because it was funny, a worthy sequel and a truly enchanting experience. If you don't have this game, but you have the money, by all means get it. It's a beautiful visual journey that captures the history of Aperture Science and what could have been. There is charming music, as in the original. Charming? More like AWESOME. The only problem I had was that the levels were either ridiculously hard or brain-splatteringly easy. There was no gentle increase, more like a sharp jolt. Expand
  20. Jan 5, 2013
    Is one of the best games of my life.The movie that this is not a game almost as
    Will not suspect. Cleaner graphics, a fantastic story. And a huge reversal.
    The laboratory, the new elements have emerged. New lasers, gels, etc. have emerged.
    In many ways, this game is the best.
  21. Mar 17, 2013
    Everything you'd expect from Valve; deep and interesting story, puzzles that aren't too easy but aren't too hard, fantastic humour and beautiful graphics. One of my favourite games of all time.
  22. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is inarguably the hallmark game of this generation. It reminds players of how games should be played and develelopers of how games should be made. A sequel to the 2007 critically acclaimed Portal, Portal 2 still manages to top its predecessor in almost every aspect: from level designing, gameplay mechanics to the more wow-able factors of the series: story and characters. Portal 2 is a great break from the mass of games today that concentrates too much on players' characterization and multiple gameplay oriented endings. Portal 2 is pre-scripted, yet the game not at once failed to awe its audience: an eerily beautiful and mystifying journey that twists and turns here and there, keeping everyone on their heels for what's to come. Portal 2 is a must-have for all who believe in the bright future of gaming, for all who would enjoy a beautiful cinematic movie or a richly written book. Expand
  23. Jul 23, 2013
    To all the people giving bad reviews: did you guys even play the game?? if you did, then you should know it's a masterpiece. If you didn't, the please don't rate.
  24. Jul 27, 2013
    VALVE did it againg. AMAZING game arrived on our PCs.
    Portal 2 is SUPER fun, logic, at the end little bit hard. Just a little. Features Co-Op which is done very, very, very well. Glados and Wheatly are funny etc. etc..
    VALVE did it againg. AMAZING game arrived on our PCs.
    Anyway, I´m huge gamer, but I don´t spend too much time at FPS games, I´m more RTS fan 19 hour STRAIGHT), this game is my personal favorite and record (11 hour straight)...
    BUY IT
  25. Aug 15, 2013
    Taking a game like Portal, which story was bland and basic because of how Valve was trying something new, and giving it such a huge amount of story and character development is outstanding. I would not expect anything less from Valve.

Portal thrusts you into the future version of aperture as you desperately try and escape from Glados. Plot takes over and crazy stuff happens that you should experience for yourself, but its amazing. The puzzles are outstanding and some will leave you thinking for a good 20 minutes as you pick your brain and think of a number of different ways to use portals, cubes, lasers and turrets to your advantage. Once again Valve leaves you with only a portal gun while you try and figure out how to complete boss battles and objectives with nothing but your mind. Genius's had to have made this game, that much thought was put into it.

The Coop part of this is epic as well along with its own story. Great fun to play with a friend if you feel like using 4 portals instead of 2 to solve problems.

I pre-ordered this game like I do every Valve game with high hopes in my mind, somehow this game surpassed my high hopes and made my jaw drop. Truly a great game and you should place it at the top of your, "To Buy List."
  26. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is a true work of art. The funny and mischievous characters, the awesome gameplay mechanics, and clever storyline add up to the best game ever made for PC to date.
  27. Jan 1, 2014
    Portal 2 might lack the feeling of desolation and loneliness felt in the eerie Aperture labs in its predecessor, instead taking a much more family-friendly orientation. This doesn't make the game any less fun, however; the clever and often hilarious writing, mind-bending puzzles and superb voice acting from the first one are back and wholly expanded, together with an excellent co-op coursePortal 2 might lack the feeling of desolation and loneliness felt in the eerie Aperture labs in its predecessor, instead taking a much more family-friendly orientation. This doesn't make the game any less fun, however; the clever and often hilarious writing, mind-bending puzzles and superb voice acting from the first one are back and wholly expanded, together with an excellent co-op course and an easy to use level editor. Portal 2 is one of the best games of 2011, if not the outright best. Expand
  28. Jan 2, 2014
    Best game ever! The game has great graphics with shadows and lighting. The old Aperture area is just massive with metal rails and huge structures. You even get to hear Cave Johnson.
  29. Jan 25, 2014
    This game is great! It has humor, a good storyline, co-op multiplayer, and most importantly excellent puzzles!! And these are all hard things to put in a puzzle game already, nonetheless doing it well (except for puzzles, duh). This is by far the best game I've ever played (except maybe Minecraft...)
  30. Jan 30, 2014
    A superb game. Comedy levels are high and game play is as compelling as it is addictive. Even the irritating voice of Stephen Merchant is loveable and well written here and without him the game would of lost a step. Superb from start to finish!
  31. Oct 17, 2014
    Portal 2 is THE best game I have ever played. And I've played a lot of games. It combines all the good aspects of games. When the game was over I just sat there for a while thinking about how I just played the game of the century.
  32. Dec 5, 2014
    A bit late to review but whatever!.... Portal 2 is a great game! The original Portal was great as well! Portal 2 was amazing with great level designs! Some levels stumped me but I finally finished them! The characters, voice acting are really good! I hope in the next Portal (if there will be one) that it would be a prequel to the first game! Overall if you want a really good puzzle gameA bit late to review but whatever!.... Portal 2 is a great game! The original Portal was great as well! Portal 2 was amazing with great level designs! Some levels stumped me but I finally finished them! The characters, voice acting are really good! I hope in the next Portal (if there will be one) that it would be a prequel to the first game! Overall if you want a really good puzzle game pick up Portal 1 and 2 because they are both really amazing puzzle adventure games to get your brain working! Its always a treat every time you finish a puzzle! Expand
  33. Apr 5, 2015
    Combining the stupendous Source Engine with a superb gameplay system, Portal 2 is a mind-blowing experience that deserves the attention of all gamers who love a challenge.
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    The big stink behind portal 2's low user reviews score is due to the fact that valve was charging outrageous amounts of money for cosmetic dlc. That being you said you don't have to buy it and it is a fantastic game outside of that and Valve has always done a good job of pleasing its fans. Don't buy the dlc if you don't want it, the game itself is fantastic as is.
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely no problems with this game. The puzzles are fun, yet take a lot of thinking. The sound is crisp and nice. The graphics are the graphics you expect from Valve's Source Engine, with a bit more detail. The whole concept of Aperture Science all abandoned and with a lot of vegetation growth only adds to the atmosphere. The story is confusing at first, but you'll pick up. Don't letAbsolutely no problems with this game. The puzzles are fun, yet take a lot of thinking. The sound is crisp and nice. The graphics are the graphics you expect from Valve's Source Engine, with a bit more detail. The whole concept of Aperture Science all abandoned and with a lot of vegetation growth only adds to the atmosphere. The story is confusing at first, but you'll pick up. Don't let the other user reviews let you think otherwise, this game is amazing. If you're new to Portal though, I suggest you play the first one then the second one. There's no DLC with this game at all, just some cosmetic skins for Co-Op. The skins change no game play and just add for decoration. This game deserves the score it got, it's fantastic. Expand
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    This game was great. Some of the poor reviews have legitimate gripes, although the majority seem to be by people who a) don't get that its a puzzle game and expect some kickass story with awesome ending b) have difficulty solving puzzles c) got super hyped up and as usual dissapointed because it's not battlefield 3 with portal guns d) chucking a tanty over optional dlc that adds no valueThis game was great. Some of the poor reviews have legitimate gripes, although the majority seem to be by people who a) don't get that its a puzzle game and expect some kickass story with awesome ending b) have difficulty solving puzzles c) got super hyped up and as usual dissapointed because it's not battlefield 3 with portal guns d) chucking a tanty over optional dlc that adds no value to the game.
    Giving this 10 out of 10 to save it from the retards of the world.
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    Please ignore all of the negative reviews. It's just /v/ getting mad over the fact that Valve is charging money for in-game avatars, and it has nothing to do with the game itself.

These people, despite claiming that "vidya" games is their passion thing that they truly enjoy, will try as hard as they can to find fault with a game and let this fault (however minor) ruin the experience for them. They are heartless, lonely, vengeful individuals who spend their nights alone on the internet bashing video games and will take any opportunity they can to "fight for justice" and have their voice heard, as you can see here.

These poor people are lonely, bitter and cold, and any humanity they did have has died out long ago. You should simply ignore their blind hate, then pity their existence and move on.
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    I don't understand all these complaints. Ungrateful, whiny, new age gamers. How our community has fallen from grace. The early leak was a privelage, and this game itself is a gift from the video game gods. The wit and humor is brilliant, and saying this game is too short is like saying chocolate cake sucks because there isn't enough of it. You love it. The next generation of gamers isI don't understand all these complaints. Ungrateful, whiny, new age gamers. How our community has fallen from grace. The early leak was a privelage, and this game itself is a gift from the video game gods. The wit and humor is brilliant, and saying this game is too short is like saying chocolate cake sucks because there isn't enough of it. You love it. The next generation of gamers is here, and it is an ignorant one. Appreciate a masterpeice when you get it. Expand
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve have done a really good job with this game, they managed to capture the essence of the first game whilst also evolving it, the increased length is welcome to me as it adds more than enough to keep it fresh throughout, the puzzles at a glance I would forgive people for thinking are easier but in practice the change makes the puzzles more about thinking up the ways to overcomeValve have done a really good job with this game, they managed to capture the essence of the first game whilst also evolving it, the increased length is welcome to me as it adds more than enough to keep it fresh throughout, the puzzles at a glance I would forgive people for thinking are easier but in practice the change makes the puzzles more about thinking up the ways to overcome obstacles than seeing an easy puzzle and then spending the next few minutes trying to flawlessly execute the correct maneuver. The story also helps pad out the increased length of the game with enough twists and turns to keep the average player interested. whilst the trademark Portal humour kept me laughing throughout.

A great game that I would recommend to any fan of puzzle games, hell, i'd recommend it to anyone really.

I'd also like to make a note of this 'Day 1 DLC' that everyone is talking about, they're on about purely cosmetic items earnable simply by playing co-op that has absolutely no bearing on actual game play.
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is excellent indeed, if you enjoyed the first Portal then you must enjoy this sequel, it has more thinking with portals and more features than ever before. However I took away a mark for this game, as I finished it without rushing in approximately 2 hours and 34 minutes playing time, this does not include the co-op part of the game or any possible advanced chambers, just theThis game is excellent indeed, if you enjoyed the first Portal then you must enjoy this sequel, it has more thinking with portals and more features than ever before. However I took away a mark for this game, as I finished it without rushing in approximately 2 hours and 34 minutes playing time, this does not include the co-op part of the game or any possible advanced chambers, just the singleplayer. The co-op feature is excellent and will also take you several more hours of gameplay and fun. The graphics are beautiful, no need for them to be improved as they do the best job possible and the game performs perfectly on the PC thanks to the great source engine.

This is a must buy for most gamers out there.
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    If you disregard all of the user reviews that have egregiously bad spelling and grammar (not knowing the diference between there/they're/their, spelling 'paid' as 'pay'd', for example) then only positive reviews are left for this game. Which is as it should be, this game is deserving of all the superlatives being tossed at it. So do yourself a favor and ignore all the idiocy going on inIf you disregard all of the user reviews that have egregiously bad spelling and grammar (not knowing the diference between there/they're/their, spelling 'paid' as 'pay'd', for example) then only positive reviews are left for this game. Which is as it should be, this game is deserving of all the superlatives being tossed at it. So do yourself a favor and ignore all the idiocy going on in this user review section, and get this game now. Expand
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    There is brilliance here beyond the norm. The pacing, the puzzles, the voice-over work, and all integrated in a very funny...yet menacing...way. There's not a wasted moment in the game and when I complete a tough puzzle it feels like an accomplishment. I also love that they've integrated the TF2-style store to purchase whimsical hats and the like w/o bashing me over the head like otherThere is brilliance here beyond the norm. The pacing, the puzzles, the voice-over work, and all integrated in a very funny...yet menacing...way. There's not a wasted moment in the game and when I complete a tough puzzle it feels like an accomplishment. I also love that they've integrated the TF2-style store to purchase whimsical hats and the like w/o bashing me over the head like other games do w/micro-transactions. It'll be fun to play COOP and wear silly hats. Expand
  43. Apr 19, 2011
    Super awesome. Really loved it. 10 hours in and only 3/4 through game (single & coop follow 2 connected story arcs). The bot customisation store for multiplayer is dumb, but it's optional.
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    The backlash against Portal 2 on this site is mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's aThe backlash against Portal 2 on this site is mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's a sequel--what do you really expect?). The brilliance of Portal 1's storytelling came as a surprise to people just expecting an experimental puzzle game; Portal 2, then can only lose points by not having even greater writing/humour/etc. Regardless, Portal 2 improves on the original with a longer and more challenging single-player mode, a co-op mode, several new mechanics, and more Portal humor. It's a great sequel to a great game. If the price seems steep to console users, just wait a while and pick it up later--it's worth your time. Expand
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    Aight. So i'm going to explain the history of the ARG to those who are thinking of buying this game. Here we go.
    First, clues were released. Some you could find in real life, some on websites, some in games. 36 potatoes were believed to be attainable for a certain 'reward' that was hinted at. A timer for a POSSIBLE early release was shown on Friday April 15th. No promises, never worded like "ITS RELEASING EARLY THIS FRIDAY." None of that. Being the non-idiot that I was, I anticipated an april fools joke, which it wound up being. Apparently nobody found it funny, although I found it hilarious, especially when everyone nerd raged. So then ARG became official. If you wanted to partake you either had to buy the potato pack or had to have all the indie games already. It wasn't FORCED or OBLIGATED, and yet everyone complains of course. If you didn't want to participate, didn't want the early release, THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE most of us said, but they kept whining. They even have the gall to say that every game in the pack sucked. Amnesia, Killing Floor, Audiosurf and more, in the pack, all some of my most favourite games have been heralded for being some of the best most unique indie games out there. Not my fault that you love your Black Ops or Dragon Age 2 so much you lost sight on what makes a game good, but moving on.
    Disaster happens, Portal 2 console gets leaked, spoilers are spammed all over the forums by trolls, and somehow Valve becomes responsible. Even if people don't claim they are responsible though, they still cling onto this "We are entitled to early release because at this point i'm sad and the ending is spoiled for me, please don't make me sad anymore, the damage is done now release release release!!!" Which of course is ridiculous. Games get leaked or pirated early ALL THE TIME. You are NOT entitled to anything. There was no sense in having it released this early simply because a few idiots went on the forums despite the leak being common knowledge. Those that aren't whiny emos either leave it alone or participate, or at the very least looked at all this with more of a critical eye. 60% of the profits from the potato pack was going to indie developers, which is always a good thing in my book. We were racking up the indie game hours so we could chip a few hours off the timer, and thats what we got. We had a midnight release, which was glorious. Those that collected all the potatoes(Which the whole process was actually fun by the way, was kind of like detective work) got it even earlier than the others, and also received the valve complete pack. Amazingly generous, and yet people still complain about not getting extra copies if they already had it, those that didn't complete it on time called it **** blah blah blah. So what it all was was a bunch of people being sore losers. They either couldn't afford the potato pack which is fine, it just means you don't get the perks. Don't know about you but I think the world works that way, the more you pay the more perks you get. Also those that work (for their potatoes) those that put time into it get huge perks. Simple as that. If you missed out thats entirely your fault. If you don't like it this way and you are incapable of looking at Valve as a game company, not a charity case, then your view is skewed.
    They can be generous, but there is a limit. All in all the ARG campaign was intricate and fun, and Portal 2 (As of now I have finished it) was a gorgeous gorgeous game. I have to admit with it being rated E and all I expected it to be stuffed with cheese, but it had just the right amount to make it enjoyable. The day one dlc that everyone is making a fuss about are just a few extra skins. Nothing akin to Bioware having day one dlc like an entire character that affects the story or anything. Don't want it? Don't buy it, simple. This goes for just about everything that I mentioned in this review.
    I hope this brought some perspective. If it didn't thats too bad, because you're missing out.
  46. Apr 19, 2011
    Without a doubt, one of the best games of the year so far. I loved "time traveling" through Aperture History and the new characters Valve put into this creative addition to the Portal universe.

Oh, and just in case there's any confusion, DLC is completely OPTIONAL. If you don't want to buy it, don't! Pretend it's not even there and you won't have to throw a hissy fit about it.
  47. Apr 19, 2011
    Were people expecting a 40 hour RPG with endless gameplay options? Apparently none of the whiners played the first Portal, which would help them understand it's a puzzle game. Not a 10 hour FPS. That game lasted 45-90 minutes... maybe much longer, depending on your capacity for solving puzzles. Those that claimed it took them 45 minutes, go away trolls - at minimum, this game lasts 3-3.5Were people expecting a 40 hour RPG with endless gameplay options? Apparently none of the whiners played the first Portal, which would help them understand it's a puzzle game. Not a 10 hour FPS. That game lasted 45-90 minutes... maybe much longer, depending on your capacity for solving puzzles. Those that claimed it took them 45 minutes, go away trolls - at minimum, this game lasts 3-3.5 hours. I beat it in about 4.5. What Valve has done with this game is incredible - I loved it.

And, they didn't charge $65 like Mr. Bobby Kotick would have. For those that are claiming $60, 80, or 90 purchases, you better check where you buy your games. On Steam it was $45, and at Best Buy it was $35. Valve has always been fair to gamers, and they have released far superior games for less money. $65 for Black Ops? No thanks. That was only 6 hours of gameplay, and it was worthless. What are people complaining about??

The menus RESEMBLE those of a console. Oh well. Valve has always been very good about gearing their games toward the PC audience, since that is where their following came from. The graphics look wonderful - especially considering they are still using the 7 year old source engine. The graphics options were above and beyond those of, say, Crysis 2, which was a very obvious console port.

The DLC wasn't even a crucial gameplay purchase. Don't base your review of the game on your own failure to look into what the DLC was and whether or not it even offered improvements on the base game. And by the way... Potato Sack DOES NOT qualify as DLC.

This game was incredibly well made, and the comic relief was wonderful! I would recommend this to anybody, except whiny console fanboys. And those that purchased on 360 and PS3, DO NOT post your reviews on the PC section.
  48. Apr 19, 2011
    I made an account on Metacritic just so I could give this game a 10. A more than worthy successor to one of the most phenomenal games ever made. I can't recommend it enough to anyone on the fence about it, and that's just off my experience of the single player. By all accounts the Co-op is even more amazing, so I've still got a lot to look forward to.
  49. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the equal of Portal 1, and a fantastic followup that adds much to the already established perfection. Not only is the humor easily as good as last time, the puzzle solving goes from okay, to Portal 1's equal, to amazing and beyond anything Portal ever did over the course of the 7 to 10 hour campaign. Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen toPortal 2 is easily the equal of Portal 1, and a fantastic followup that adds much to the already established perfection. Not only is the humor easily as good as last time, the puzzle solving goes from okay, to Portal 1's equal, to amazing and beyond anything Portal ever did over the course of the 7 to 10 hour campaign. Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen to them, they are mad about an ARG and DLC that have nothing to do with the actual game), no, the game is not 3 hours long. No, there is no game-enhancing DLC to get upset about, the DLC, which is PC only in the first place, is purely aesthetic and no one who isn't interested has any reason to buy it. Finally, the ARG that took place before this game was release not only resulted in a midnight release on Steam (as opposed to the planned 7am release), it also got everyone who got all of the "potatoes" in the ARG Valve's *entire library of games for free*. There is no reason to dislike this game, and many of the reviews are simply venting frustrations not at all related to the game's quality. It's better in every way than one than the original Portal, save one, originality. And let's face it, that magic has passed, we can't get that moment in time back, so we should enjoy an amazing game for what it is, the best possible sequel to Portal, and the best game of the year so far. Expand
  50. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the best games I have played in a very long time, despite the many negative reviews that this game doesn't deserve.

Although the negative reviews say otherwise, this game is certainly over 4 hours long. Portal 2 has provided me with about 10 hours (give or take, it really depends on your ability to solve puzzles) of spectacular gameplay, and I plan to replay the game for the developer commentary which was included in the game. Portal 2 also comes with developer tools, meaning that new puzzles will be created by users for all to enjoy, providing more replay value. The game has excellent graphics, which are complimented by the interactive environment provided by the Aperture Science Laboratories. The plot was deep and captivating, expanding on the mysteries left by the first game, and contains plot developments that will keep the player hooked until the very end. The game is quite humorous, and has had me laughing at several points in the game. Aside from the excellent mind-boggling puzzles that any puzzle game should provide, Portal 2 also presents dramatic and fast-paced action sequences and plot developments, which keep players on their toes while still refraining from overwhelming the player.
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    game is brilliant no matter what the trolls say. People complaining its short seem to forget they stated months ago that it would be around 7 hours. This game has met all of my expectations and more.
  52. Apr 19, 2011
    Very, VERY good game. I played Portal 1 twice this past weekend in anticipation of Portal 2 and I feel that it absolutely delivered. Takes a bit of time at the beginning to train new players and refresh those who played Portal 1, the game then introduces new mechanics and consistently delivers them in interesting ways throughout the game.

Single-player took me a total of six and a half

Single-player took me a total of six and a half hours to complete, and I have not finished co-op yet. The controversial "launch DLC" is nothing more than skins and such for the robots you play in co-op - purchase if you desire, but if you do not purchase you are missing out on nothing.

Great game, would give it a 10/10 but I feel single-player is a bit on the short side. If Valve releases additional single-player content for free (ie. advanced test chambers like Portal 1), this game will then be a 10/10 to me.
  53. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply put the best experience I ever had in a game.
    The humor ist so tremendous I hardly laugh while playing but with Portal 2 I REALLY could not stop laugh out loud. The story is fantastic, lightning up every heart that cares about the aperture universe.
    Simply put the best experience I ever had in a game.
    And I don't really want to even talk about the game-play.... it makes a cover-based shooter with quick-time-event look like a tricycle trying to keep up with a rocket heading to a new planet.
  54. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply Valve's best game ever with brilliant humor and intelligent awesome gameplay. Thanks Valve for making me happy with this secound part of Portal. Even the Coop is awesome which I first had some doubts. I will go playing now...
  55. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore all the reviews with a score of less than 9, for those who wrote them have obviously can't see a good game when it's staring them in the face. These kinds of people would much rather enjoy the 'sitting in a corner with an RPG' types of games like COD.
  56. Apr 19, 2011
    This is, by far, the most polished game I have ever played. I can't even imagine how much prime content was cut out of the prerelease copies to leave the pristine diamond-sharp game of Portal 2.

The writing, the audio, the dynamic sound effects - they are all absolutely perfect! I finished the single player campaign in about 12 hours over the last two days. I've only spent about 20 minutes in multiplayer but I can't wait to spend more! A perfect 10.
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    I gave Portal 2 for the PC a perfect score because I really cannot find anything wrong with it, and I sincerely feel that it is just THAT good. Portal 2 maintains the elements of game-play that made the original Portal such a great game; but at the same time it adds a new "feel" to the game that definitely out does its predecessor. The addition of other elements being incorporated intoI gave Portal 2 for the PC a perfect score because I really cannot find anything wrong with it, and I sincerely feel that it is just THAT good. Portal 2 maintains the elements of game-play that made the original Portal such a great game; but at the same time it adds a new "feel" to the game that definitely out does its predecessor. The addition of other elements being incorporated into the puzzles (ex. the different goos) definitely gives the game a new flair that expands the style its puzzles. The single player campaign took me about 6-7 hours to complete, and the entire time I never wanted to stop. The game really expands though when you get into the co-op modes. I believe that there are about 86? puzzles that you can do with a partner, and I would highly suggest playing with a friend, or someone you know. Expand
  58. Apr 20, 2011
    A great game, definitely one of Valve's best yet. It takes a perfect, short experimental game and makes it into a full game, which may not be as perfect but has much bigger scope. Also, this is NOT a console port. Console ports do not have quicksave, developer console and advanced graphics options (see Crysis 2).
  59. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is simply gorgeous!!! It's full of innovations, it's very very long (I spent 7-8 for single player and 4-5 hours for co-op) and I don't know why there are so many bad reviews, it has a good graphic and an unique plot. For sure all these important details makes it the Game of the Year.
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    I've never written a review for a game but Portal 2 compels me to. This game is perfect. It is shorter than average. It reminds me how much fun games in this medium can be. It does not waste my time. Some people are upset by this.
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    I want also to make this clear,Portal 2 is a great game, The music,the atmosphere ,the game play is superb,Valve Deserves it. I am also very annoyed with people who are giving low scores. This game is great and it will probably be the best game of the year.
  62. Apr 20, 2011
    Undoubtedly the best game of the past 5 years. First I will address the trolls: I don't know why everyone throws this $60 number around, because on Steam, it's $49.99, and it's well worth the price. Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops sold for more and have DLCs that were actually necessary to the game, and I would still say "Portal 2 is better" with a straight face. Speaking of DLCs, I wouldUndoubtedly the best game of the past 5 years. First I will address the trolls: I don't know why everyone throws this $60 number around, because on Steam, it's $49.99, and it's well worth the price. Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops sold for more and have DLCs that were actually necessary to the game, and I would still say "Portal 2 is better" with a straight face. Speaking of DLCs, I would appreciate it if people didn't just say "I heard Portal 2 has DLCs, that's crap!" and actually figured out that it's similar to TF2's Mann Co. Store - just hats and weapon changes (hardly upgrades). However, Portal doesn't sell any weaponry, just simple cosmetic effects (i.e. hats) that have absolutely no effect on gameplay and are 100% unnecessary. The $80 number you hear? That's just the combined value of EVERYTHING in the store, which nobody in the world would ever buy. It should not be included in the game. If people want to put a hat on a robot unnecessarily, I believe Valve can make them pay for the privilege so we don't have everyone dressed up like pimps while solving puzzles. It is not "robbery". It is not forced. It is for people who have money to blow. If you don't want to spend extra money, pay $49.99 and enjoy the game. As for the completion time, anyone that says they're completing it in under 6 hours (ESPECIALLY on their first try) is pulling your leg, possibly because they think the Steam game timer is accurate (hint: it's not). It took me approximately 9 not including my foray into the co-op, and I didn't get stuck very often. The singleplayer is memorable, entertaining, and the ending will draw tears. I can't say that for Black Ops. The whole potato ordeal - if you had played the game, you would have noticed several references to potatoes (including one that's right in front of you for the entire second half of the game!) but the entire point of the Potato Sack sale was to market indie games, NOT to cheat people out of money for worthless potatoes. If you bought the Potato Sack to earn potatoes, I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. Those who bought it to play the indie games, congratulations, you now have $120 worth of games for only $30! Cool, huh? And hey, if you managed to earn all possible potatoes, Valve did a one-up - you got the ENTIRE Valve Collection PLUS gift codes for all of your games in your ENTIRE library to give to friends PLUS a free extra copy of Portal 2! Hence, I'm not so sure why the Potato Sack sale was a bad thing. Now, onto the review: Portal 1 was an entirely new genre, which makes it fun and refreshing, but lacking on a lot of puzzle elements. Only so much one can do with two portals and some cubes. Portal 2 takes the storyline, puzzle elements, and preconceptions based off of Portal 1 and turns it on its head. Anyone that played the original MUST play this - you will be confused, lost, and bombarded with emotions, and I will say that what you came away with from Portal 1 is all wrong. The graphics are amazing, especially for a Source game. The tweaks to the facility make the storyline really start to shine, and the underground chapters blew my mind. Those saying Portal 2 didn't expand on Aperture's history obviously have not played the game, as it showed 3 decades of it quite vividly! I loved Portal, but it pales in comparison to this game. If you have any love for the Portal series, you're a puzzle gamer by any means, or you'd just like to experience GLaDOS's impeccable sense of sarcastic humor (not to mention Wheatley, Cave, the announcer, and the defective turrets!) then you must purchase this game. Expand
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    Immersive story, extremely funny cast of characters, atmospheric music + stunning visuals even on the source engine and still as unique gameplay as ever. The most fun I have had with gaming in a long time.
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic follow up to an already amazing game. Portal 2 ranks up there with Bioshock 1 and Deus Ex in terms of timelessness. Though the single player isn't the longest ever, the multilayer is an all new campaign that extends the story. Overall the game is just fine lengthwise, and every second is of amazing quality. No complaints at all.
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve tweaks Portal's minimalist formula to deliver a full blown epic with a story filled with betrayal, dark humor, human emotion from robots, some shocking character revelations and genuine fun. All the while, the game's central mechanic remains as engaging as ever thanks to the introduction of some new puzzle mechanics such as tractor beams, light bridges, lasers and fling plates.

The

The game looks absolutely beautiful. Valve's Source engine shines here, as GLaDOS rebuilds test chambers before your eyes. Debris falls realistically, the animations are eye catching as panels rearrange themselves, and as always the textures are wonderfully crafted. In Portal, we got to see the inner workings of Aperture Science's Testing Facility - a labyrinth of pipes, pistons and concrete. It made for very evocative atmospheric conditions, but in Portal 2 Valve outdoes themselves. The game takes place far in the future, and the run down Aperture Science facilities are exposed as giant rectangular structures in the center of a vast, vast abyss beneath the ground. This is one of the most visually breathtaking sights in any video game today.

One of Portal's greatest strengths was its writing. The silent protagonist is a long accepted gaming axiom, and Valve does not deviate here or in the original, so the spotlight is on the sadistic AI who serves as the test coordinator, GLaDOS. Every line she speaks dripping with sardonic, dark humor, GLaDOS constantly references the player's murder of her at the end of the original game, but always is willing to put the past behind them. For science. You monster. There is a lot more than just GLaDOS here, though. A cheery little AI named Wheatley - voiced by the wonderful Stephen Merchant - provides an excellent sidekick, with a very clumsy quality to him that makes him rather endearing. In one of the game's greatest segments, the player travels to Aperture's old test chambers from the 70s and is guided by the recorded voice of Cave Johnson, Aperture's late founder and CEO. Johnson is voiced by the unmatched J.K. Simmons, who breathes life into the recordings to rival even GLaDOS. While all three characters pull off wonderful moments of humor, the game really shines in its character development. The way the three interact with each other - and, more importantly, the player - creates a surprisingly emotional series of events. The grand finale left me genuinely sad, for instance, and a number of the plot twists left me stunned. GLaDOS once again steals the show. I won't spoil how, but suffice to say a grand deal of backstory and development is pumped into the AI through the course of the game.

Now to the main event - the puzzles! Portal was one of the most innovative platformers, and Portal 2 does not disappoint in the least. Some of the early levels are clones of the initial levels we played in Portal, and it takes no time at all to get reacquainted with the Portal Gun. The basic mechanics are the same, which is good, since the game throws new mechanics at us almost instantly. The MVP here are the gels - three paint-like substances that have special powers. Blue paint ("Repulsion Gel") makes one jump and bounce higher when landing on it, red paint makes one run faster across it, and white paint allows one to put portals on any surface covered in it. The three make for some truly intriguing puzzles that make for wonderful new test chambers.

In addition to gels, we have lasers. Lasers are the spiritual successor to the energy balls from the original game (which are, regrettably, absent). They can be redirected with special cubes into power receptors that activate power lines. Light bridges provide impenetrable fences against turrets as well as a surface upon which to walk. Tractor beams do exactly what they sound like they should do, and can be directed with portals for some interesting platforming.

The chambers are innovative and a number had me stumped for an hour or more at times. The single player can probably be completed within seven hours for a truly dedicated gamer trying to get to the end, but I spent a good eleven hours playing it and listening to all the dialogue. There is also a wonderfully inventive co-op campaign that words cannot do justice - it must be experienced.

Portal 2 is one of the greatest games ever released, and a must have for fans of the original, fans of platformers, and gamers in general.
  66. Nil
    Apr 21, 2011
    There's just a handful of games that are crafted with as much love, and I am quite surprised because most of them are Valve games.

Portal 2 is a sweet puzzle game that will have newcomers to the 'thinking with portals' mechanics entertained considerably longer than the rest of those who already know their way around them. Still, regardless, in personal experience the Single Player

Still, regardless, in personal experience the Single Player campaign runs at a satisfactory 6-8 hour game. You can, however, rush it through in a bit more than 5 hours when you already know the puzzle solutions.

Now, apart from being fun and filled with comedy throughout this game has depth. I know! Try and look around for details, if you haven't played the other games in the Half Life universe some details might go over your head, but there is plenty to discover about the Story of Chell and how she fits in it.

Then there's Cooperative Mode. It's fun and depending on who you play it with may end up going for hours. Do try to play it with friends, since playing with random players usually becomes stressful because they are prone to leaving mid game.

And finally, disregard the DLC complaints. The game is enjoyable as delivered, what the Cash Shop included in the game provides is just a short cut for people who find the game so hard that they would rather pay to unlock content instead of playing more. And besides, most of the Shop items are nothing but cosmetic modifications which do not, in any way, affect the game. At all.
  67. Apr 21, 2011
    If you enjoyed Portal, you will enjoy Portal 2. It's funny, creative, and different. What else can you ask for in a game? I honestly don't know what people are talking about when they whine about "level design" and "art design" being bad. Also, I'm about 4 hours in right now and not near the end, and that's not counting co-op. And for what it's worth, game length isn't everything. You WILLIf you enjoyed Portal, you will enjoy Portal 2. It's funny, creative, and different. What else can you ask for in a game? I honestly don't know what people are talking about when they whine about "level design" and "art design" being bad. Also, I'm about 4 hours in right now and not near the end, and that's not counting co-op. And for what it's worth, game length isn't everything. You WILL play this more than once. If you've been wondering about it, but were dissuaded by these whiny brats on here, worry no more! Just get the game. You will like it. Expand
  68. Apr 21, 2011
    Another absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of theAnother absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of the benevolent and comical GLaDOS amongst an array of new and wonderfully voiced characters. Content is also provided in a healthy sum as once the single player campaign is completed, players can move on to the equally as lengthy and outstanding cooperative campaign. Portal 2 Vehemently pulls itself ahead of the crowd and will please newcomers to the franchise along with fans of the Brilliant and innovative first game a like, it is an exceptional game to say the least and will provide endless hours of fun. Expand
  69. Apr 21, 2011
    I think Valve hit the nail again. This is a sheer unique and innovate title that does it all. It's funny, smart and the voices by Merchant (Wheatley), and Mcclain (Glados) compounds to the brilliance of Portal 2. Also, the storyline is well written and definitely hooks you to the game. As for the length, I'd say you are probably looking at about 8-10 hours of campaign, and then 5-6 hoursI think Valve hit the nail again. This is a sheer unique and innovate title that does it all. It's funny, smart and the voices by Merchant (Wheatley), and Mcclain (Glados) compounds to the brilliance of Portal 2. Also, the storyline is well written and definitely hooks you to the game. As for the length, I'd say you are probably looking at about 8-10 hours of campaign, and then 5-6 hours of Co-op. Don't look at the negative reviews, this is a must buy title. One of the best games this generation without a doubt. Expand
  70. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic game, The level structure is great, the writing is masterful, voice acting incredible and the art design amazing. This takes everything that Portal did right and added onto it.
  71. Apr 22, 2011
    Firstly, i like would like to point out, no one has to buy the dlc if they do not wish to. Secondly, in many ways, charging players for dlc that does not effect the way you play a game at all, is better than charging for a new map pack or say some new weapons. The people who choose not to purchase cosmetic items do not actually lose out on any aspect of the game play, it is merely anFirstly, i like would like to point out, no one has to buy the dlc if they do not wish to. Secondly, in many ways, charging players for dlc that does not effect the way you play a game at all, is better than charging for a new map pack or say some new weapons. The people who choose not to purchase cosmetic items do not actually lose out on any aspect of the game play, it is merely an option for those who wish to do so.

Onto the review...

I gave this a 10/10 not because i believe it to be a flawless title, in all honesty if i were being completely accurate i would give it an 8 or a 9, though probably the latter. The reason I am giving it a 10/10 is because i believe the grounds on which some people (all 200 and something) are giving it ridiculously low scores are unfair and biased against the game, and not taking it for what it is, and i would like to try and raise the overall score to something more accurate, something that new players will look at and go, wow, i should play this game.

This is because I believe EVERYONE, should play this game, it takes what was essentially a fantastic experiment, and turns it into what is one of the best gaming titles ever released, it is a humorous, empowering, visual spectacle that is most importantly fun.

As has been stated by many people, critics and fans alike, Valve have succeeded in making more believable and lovable (as well as hate-able) characters than most other modern games on the market, and they succeeded in doing this with robots. Wheatley is downright hilarious (as are the turrets) and GlaDos is as chilling as ever, though things step up a notch when everything turns on its head and this game provided me some of the more memorable moments i have had related to gaming (a certain bird related incident) The other new characters are similarly engaging.

Visually this game is a tremendous success, i find it staggering that the source engine was able to achieve in this game, the visual fidelity and dynamic-ness is unbelievable, especially on such an old engine. I cannot think of a single game in which the environment feels more alive (and you have to remember that the majority of the game takes place in underground sterile test chambers) this game cannot be compared to something like crysis but it is still beautiful.

The map design is top-notch, the portal gun is as fun and empowering as ever, the new gameplay elements are excellent, and each test once solved still leaves you with a tremendous sense of success.

Good work Valve, just waiting on Half Life 2 Episode 3 now!
  72. Apr 22, 2011
    When I saw the user reviews for this game, I was confused. What was all this "DLC" fuzz about? Paid DLC on PC? Valve would never, I say, never do such a thing. Cosmetic items for multiplayer yes, but DLC, no. So when I got home from vacation, I fired up Portal 2 yesterday and started playing. What a wonderful game. And certainly not a mediocre game that deserves less than 5/10. AnyoneWhen I saw the user reviews for this game, I was confused. What was all this "DLC" fuzz about? Paid DLC on PC? Valve would never, I say, never do such a thing. Cosmetic items for multiplayer yes, but DLC, no. So when I got home from vacation, I fired up Portal 2 yesterday and started playing. What a wonderful game. And certainly not a mediocre game that deserves less than 5/10. Anyone giving a score that low has no credibility and they are simply just butthurt or misinformed.

Anyways, the game is without a doubt fantastic. The controls are smooth, the graphics are gorgeous (The Source Engine still stands as one of the best graphics and physics engines on the market), the sound is glorious and the gameplay is simply amazing. The core gameplay from the first game has been kept, and the new puzzle features make a great addition. But even though the game looks sterile and very clean, it's definitely not for no-brainers. The puzzles get harder and harder, and there might come a point where you just decide to give up. I have certainly had moments like those. But the pacing is great, so the puzzles don't just start out easy and get hard immediately. It's a steady pace so everyone can come along.

And I have not even mentioned multiplayer yet.

The multiplayer is fantastic. With strangers, it's good. With friends, it's king! One of your mates (or a stranger), along with you take the roles of two robots that are sent through an unspeakable amount of test chambers and have to cooperate to get through them. Communicating is also easy, but it still has some hiccups here and there. Chat is available (press the T key on the PC) for those who wants to know.

That's all what I have to say about the game. See ya!
  73. Apr 22, 2011
    I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews and it's making me very sad. This is a beautiful game, it is an excellent game. It exceeded my expectations. I see the most common complaints are the â
  74. Apr 22, 2011
    Compelling story from start finish that keeps you guessing. The dialog and characters are hilarious. This game could have had terrible gameplay and still be fun just based on the humor, but it takes the portal metaphor to new levels with all sorts of new contraptions, even if some which were previewed in early trailers were removed.
  75. Apr 23, 2011
    Okay the short version, Portal 2 is a masterpiece. Buy it. Go on, do it now. For those of you who like to read, here's the detailed version. Portal 2 is the funniest game I've ever played. You need to play this just for the comedy value. Remember those amusing Cave Johnson trailers? Its like that throughout the entire game. The writing and voice acting are amazing, and this combines toOkay the short version, Portal 2 is a masterpiece. Buy it. Go on, do it now. For those of you who like to read, here's the detailed version. Portal 2 is the funniest game I've ever played. You need to play this just for the comedy value. Remember those amusing Cave Johnson trailers? Its like that throughout the entire game. The writing and voice acting are amazing, and this combines to allow the various robots in Portal 2 to show far more personality and emotion, than Human characters in a lot of other games by other developers. The level design is creative and the puzzles are intelligent, and best of all, the game doesn't grab you by the ear and drag you to the objectives. Instead, the player is given space to work out the solutions for themselves. There are clues, but they are subtly built into the surrounding area. If you're ever stuck, just look around, and you'll figure it out. Like the first game, the player is taught new tricks slowly, before getting a chance to use what they learned in more complex situations. I personally value gameplay over graphics, but if graphics are your thing, Portal 2 is gorgeous to look at. I've read some people saying the single player is 4 hours long. This is completely wrong, it took me 8 hours, and I don't see how anyone could get through it in under 6 even knowing all the solutions straight away. There is also a coop mode which I haven't tried yet, but which should add a bit of extra replayability. The only bad thing I can mention is the inclusion of the Mann Co â Expand
  76. Apr 23, 2011
    Extremely entertaining game. It's fun from start to finish. The voice acting is as good as it gets, and it's laugh out loud funny. It's longer than the first game, but still not a really long game for just the single player. The puzzles are also not incredibly difficult. Some games are longer. Some games are harder. Yet you will have a tough time finding a game more enjoyable thanExtremely entertaining game. It's fun from start to finish. The voice acting is as good as it gets, and it's laugh out loud funny. It's longer than the first game, but still not a really long game for just the single player. The puzzles are also not incredibly difficult. Some games are longer. Some games are harder. Yet you will have a tough time finding a game more enjoyable than Portal 2. Expand
  77. Apr 23, 2011
    Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome humor, awesome characters, awesome voice over, awesome coop - awesome game. You want to do something good for yourself? Play Portal 2. It is one of the best games I´ve ever played and certainly the funniest one. Now, go and buy it. Otherwise, you´re a moron.
  78. Apr 23, 2011
    This game is pretty fun. It doesn't play like a port. If it is indeed a console port, Valve has done a good job porting it. But I dont think it is. Have not tried coop yet but singleplayer alone seems worth it
  79. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my favorite games of all time, even better than the first. The story, the puzzles, and the characters are all more complex this time around, in a good way. The ending itself is amazing, the moon sequence, followed by the adorable turret opera, topped off with the unexpected return of the (original?) companion cube! Well done Valve! Expand
  80. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is a much more accessible and refined gaming experience which will appeal to a larger audience. It still feels like Portal and your manipulation of these doorways through space are the main reason. The games real triumph is in taking game animation and voice recording to a whole new level. Valve deserve their comparisons to Pixar for this work of genius. JK Simmons and StephenPortal 2 is a much more accessible and refined gaming experience which will appeal to a larger audience. It still feels like Portal and your manipulation of these doorways through space are the main reason. The games real triumph is in taking game animation and voice recording to a whole new level. Valve deserve their comparisons to Pixar for this work of genius. JK Simmons and Stephen Merchant provide excellent performances doing the writing justice. Portal 2 is a hilarious, dark sci-fi comedy with real heart. This game will give you much more playtime than the first game and is a fuller realisation, a complete game. It is not only the game of the year but a benchmark for which game developers should aim for. Expand
  81. Apr 23, 2011
    This game deserves a 10 on the strength of the multiplayer component alone... I've honestly never had as much fun with a random person... I was literally whooping for joy on completion of some of the tougher puzzles.

That being said, the single player campaign is absolutely perfect. A perfect gaming experience. It deserves an 11 to be honest... anyways I just finished it and I'm still soaking it in... All i have to say is... Great job valve. Greatest game company in the world.
  82. Apr 24, 2011
    Ok it may be shorter than other titles you can pick up for the price, but what Valve have succeeded in doing time and time again is to create a perfectly packaged experience. They have prioritized Quality over quantity, and although i may not want to play through it again, i feel completely fulfilled with just one play through. I also agree that it isn't particularly hard, but that's aOk it may be shorter than other titles you can pick up for the price, but what Valve have succeeded in doing time and time again is to create a perfectly packaged experience. They have prioritized Quality over quantity, and although i may not want to play through it again, i feel completely fulfilled with just one play through. I also agree that it isn't particularly hard, but that's a testament to the game design that they subtly each you how to complete the puzzles in advance so you never get stuck. But i hope that valve follows up with some free DLC with some more challenging levels or more Co-op missions (that coop hub was too big for just 5 chapters) which will make the price point worthwhile. Expand
  83. Apr 24, 2011
    Basically, this is a game that needs to be played to be believed. There will probably never be another like it, in terms of writing, style and voice acting. Ignore the haters, and their trivial points. Just play this game, because it's probably as close to perfection as the medium will ever get.
  84. Apr 24, 2011
    9/10, why? Let me break it down for you. +10 for being the most enjoyable gaming experience of my entire life, and that includes the amazing co-op feature which is completely out of this world, and -1 for being Steam only, because Steam is a HUGE pain in the back-side. I bought my copy 2 days after release and still had to download 800 megabytes of updates before the Steam application9/10, why? Let me break it down for you. +10 for being the most enjoyable gaming experience of my entire life, and that includes the amazing co-op feature which is completely out of this world, and -1 for being Steam only, because Steam is a HUGE pain in the back-side. I bought my copy 2 days after release and still had to download 800 megabytes of updates before the Steam application would let me play a game which I paid for with my own money, and on my slow North Welsh internet connection it took about 3 hours of pure downloading, rendering the internet useless for everyone else on my network. Expand
  85. Apr 24, 2011
    Totally epic game. No idea where all the negative reviews are coming from. It's most likely from people who got the original Portal free as an add-on. They want everything handed to them. Portal 2 is an expansive game unlike its short predecessor. While I agree that i wish it was longer, I can't take away points for that. To do so wouldn't be logical. The story was great. The plot its selfTotally epic game. No idea where all the negative reviews are coming from. It's most likely from people who got the original Portal free as an add-on. They want everything handed to them. Portal 2 is an expansive game unlike its short predecessor. While I agree that i wish it was longer, I can't take away points for that. To do so wouldn't be logical. The story was great. The plot its self stayed true and was a nice continuation of the story in the original Portal. The characters were great as well. GLaDoS still has her "love to hate"(or "hate to love") personality intact with a bit of a twist. I love the direction they took. Skill curve applies to all type of gamers not just egotistical "pros" which is a plus for the novice gamer. The co-op is brilliant however short.(DLC please or possibly some free courses . I'm lookin at you Valve. You can capitalize here) I was able to play thru the entire co-op with someone who didnt even speak english thanks to the reticule system Valve has in place. Well done there. All in all, I cant find a reason to subtract even a full point from this masterpiece. My only complaint is that I want more.

I would love to see some more advanced chambers (hopefully valve has alot of DLC planned because I for one will buy any and all new content for this great game) Some free co-op courses would be a great addition. Take a note from the Super Meat Boy team on this one Valve. Also once the editor as out if co-op courses can be built and browsed in game, it would be excellent.

Great job Portal 2 team. You have released the GOTY. If for some reason you dont get it it will be GOTY to me and to many others im sure.
  86. Apr 24, 2011
    After seeing so many bad reviews lowering Portal 2's score, I felt compelled to write one review myself. In a nutshell, Portal 2 is a great game, definitely better than the original. It is probably three times longer, the single-player campaign is really funny and well designed. You will feel like a genius after solving many of the test chambers. The only difference between this game andAfter seeing so many bad reviews lowering Portal 2's score, I felt compelled to write one review myself. In a nutshell, Portal 2 is a great game, definitely better than the original. It is probably three times longer, the single-player campaign is really funny and well designed. You will feel like a genius after solving many of the test chambers. The only difference between this game and the original Portal is that while the original game came out as an unexpected pleasant surprise, this one was preceded by insane levels of hype (particularly after being preceded by the mind boggling Valve ARG). In my opinion, this is the only reason this game is getting somewhat lower scores than the original Portal. There are many people that cannot make an objective review of something after so many hype, they will always feel letdown, no matter how great the game is. Expand
  87. Apr 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is not the best game I've played in the last few years. And there are a number of small issues that I have with it. I'm not a huge fan of the ARG experience that led into it. However, a lot of the work went into this game really succeeded. Solid atmosphere. Great moments. Challenging at times. I have no regrets picking it up. Expand
  88. Apr 24, 2011
    I haven't even played this game and it is amazing. I've been watching my brother play it and from an outside perspective it is still crazy fun. The puzzles are challenging, it's got the funniest writing and voice acting and it's just plain fun.
  89. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic game from start to finish. The criticism for the DLC is completely unfounded. Its purely cosmetic and you can't blame a company for offering people an OPTION. The people who don't care for the option are free to not use it and the people who like it can use it. Personally I never understood people who need content to be made unavailable for others to feel good. Can't we all justFantastic game from start to finish. The criticism for the DLC is completely unfounded. Its purely cosmetic and you can't blame a company for offering people an OPTION. The people who don't care for the option are free to not use it and the people who like it can use it. Personally I never understood people who need content to be made unavailable for others to feel good. Can't we all just take our right to choose and choose what we like instead of choosing what others should have? Expand
  90. Apr 25, 2011
    Superb - improves upon the first game in almost every way. The new additions to the gameplay mechanic are innovative and fun. The single player campaign is excellent, with great narrative and engaging characters. I've only played a couple of hours of co-op but what I've seen so far works really well, and it's clear a lot of effort has been put into getting the multiplayer right. Hats offSuperb - improves upon the first game in almost every way. The new additions to the gameplay mechanic are innovative and fun. The single player campaign is excellent, with great narrative and engaging characters. I've only played a couple of hours of co-op but what I've seen so far works really well, and it's clear a lot of effort has been put into getting the multiplayer right. Hats off to Valve for once again putting out an impressive, well-balanced and memorable title. An essential purchase for anyone that enjoyed the first game, and for anyone that has yet to experience the Portal universe. Expand
  91. Apr 25, 2011
    Not the best VALVe game, but it is still great. Bugs, bad map design, short and easy, still enjoyable.

Needs better support for 3+ players though.
  92. Apr 25, 2011
    The problem with portal 2 is that it is a squeal to an amazing game. That means it has to live up to the expectations of the original portal fans. Portal surprised and amazed everyone with how good it was, and now people have unfairly high expectations of portal 2. Even though many people think Portal 2 was not as good as the first one, it was still an amazing game, and easily deserves a 10/10.
  93. Apr 26, 2011
    As with most Valve games, the production quality of Portal 2 is phenomenal compared to any other game I have played in the past few years. Graphics are a big improvement over the original, and new source engine features like the ability to limit frame rate to save power on a laptop are welcome. The entire game, including the coop campaign, was very funny and entertaining, even if some ofAs with most Valve games, the production quality of Portal 2 is phenomenal compared to any other game I have played in the past few years. Graphics are a big improvement over the original, and new source engine features like the ability to limit frame rate to save power on a laptop are welcome. The entire game, including the coop campaign, was very funny and entertaining, even if some of the humor fell on the subtle side (similar jokes to the first game's "cake" do exist, but they aren't as obviously displayed). I enjoyed each of the plot twists and the entire campaign felt like it was paced well. The coop campaign is entirely unique from the single player, adding even more quality content in the mix. I hope to see the availability of new maps to be added, and it does appear to be possible, but will take off a couple of tenths just because it wasn't shipped with the game.

My final score is 9.7/10
  94. Apr 30, 2011
    For me best game of the year up to now. Im not one of those people that give a 10 if they like a game and a 0 if they dont , that is why the user score is not that good , but im giving it a 10 because i think it deserves it. The writing was EXCELLENT being one of the most funny games i have ever played , the music was OMG if your in to that type and the puzzles where not to difficult butFor me best game of the year up to now. Im not one of those people that give a 10 if they like a game and a 0 if they dont , that is why the user score is not that good , but im giving it a 10 because i think it deserves it. The writing was EXCELLENT being one of the most funny games i have ever played , the music was OMG if your in to that type and the puzzles where not to difficult but well enough made to make you use your brain , which is fine with me . The major complaints about this game is about its day 1 dlc and its length. First of all you should not rate a game by its dlc but what comes in the package. What if the best game in the world for you comes out and the next day dlc comes out for it ? Whould your opinion about the game change in any way ? The correct answer is NO so stop reading reviews from people that gave the game a 2 because it dint have some hats ( wtf ? ) in it for free . Now about the time that it takes you to complete this game i can understand people complaining especially if they rarely buy a game . Thow this game is not short by any means ( about 12-18 hours with coop ) for a game at this age , its probably not enough for some people . If a game has just got single player it should last 60 hours or if it has multiplayer it should last someone a whole year . For me i believe that that VALVe has chosen quality over quantity ( as i said thow its not that short as people keep saying ) so i dont think i should reduct points from it. Before i finish i want to say that this is the ps3 version so you also get steam on your console which gives you steam achievements cross platform coop with the pc and mac steam cloud which allows you to save your ps3 progress and continue on your pc . Oh dint i mention ? if you puy the game for the ps3 you also get a code to download it for free on steam . FOR FREE PEOPLE so its not a complete waste of money is it ? VALVe i Expand
  95. Apr 30, 2011
    This game proves one thing and one thing only: You don't need blood, violence, and language to make a great game. Portal 2 is probably the game of the year SO FAR. The characters are likable, the story is funny, and it's not stop fun. If you never played Portal 1, then you should so yo can understand the mechanics and the story of the game, but it'll take you an afternoon to completeThis game proves one thing and one thing only: You don't need blood, violence, and language to make a great game. Portal 2 is probably the game of the year SO FAR. The characters are likable, the story is funny, and it's not stop fun. If you never played Portal 1, then you should so yo can understand the mechanics and the story of the game, but it'll take you an afternoon to complete the first one. The Co-op is amazing. Valve proved me once again that they are the best game developers on planet earth. Valve, since you got Portal 2 out of your hands, it's about time to make Half-Life 2: Episode 3! Expand
  96. May 1, 2011
    I believe this game to be the best I've ever played, it took all the flair, originality and general awesomeness from Portal, and intensified it. The voice acting, humour, game play, puzzles, online co-op were all brilliant, and I loved every moment I spent playing this game.
  97. May 1, 2011
    Yes, it could be a short play - if all you're going for is a speed run, and if you're a puzzle-solving genius. For the rest of us - and I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say *most* of us - there's a great deal of fun to be had in slowing down to savor the environments, listening to all of the surprisingly hilarious dialogue, and seeking out the many secrets Valve has hiddenYes, it could be a short play - if all you're going for is a speed run, and if you're a puzzle-solving genius. For the rest of us - and I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say *most* of us - there's a great deal of fun to be had in slowing down to savor the environments, listening to all of the surprisingly hilarious dialogue, and seeking out the many secrets Valve has hidden in the game.

And beyond the single player, there's always co-op, which creates almost endless novelty. Playing with someone else ensures that even if the solution is the same, level replays always feel fresh. Music, voice acting, visual polish, and most of all, intellectually-engaging gameplay: Portal 2 has it all, in spades. And next time someone complains that video games are all about mind-numbing violence, sit them down with this one for a while and see if they can avoid turning their brains on.

Some users have also whined that Portal 2 looks like a "console port", which it rather clearly isn't (see also the standard PC graphics options), and if it was, so what? It's a game the has the bells and whistles of all the Source Engine games before it, looks great, and has a UI that's a joy to use. If it *were* a console port (which would be silly, considering the engine's heritage), it would be a how-to for any other companies looking to move games over to the PC.
  98. May 4, 2011
    Brilliant game, Valve once again have shown why they are such a game-making powerhouse. The game is based on an already tested idea in half-life series and first portal, with only necessary tweaks done to vary the gameplay. So, basically we have the more the same but better. The strongest point of Portal two is definitely its narration and story presented. GLADOS and Whetley banter,Brilliant game, Valve once again have shown why they are such a game-making powerhouse. The game is based on an already tested idea in half-life series and first portal, with only necessary tweaks done to vary the gameplay. So, basically we have the more the same but better. The strongest point of Portal two is definitely its narration and story presented. GLADOS and Whetley banter, hilarious black-humorous Announcer, an addition of retro Cave Jonhson character...here lies the true power of Valve, because playing is well...as said before, Portal with tweaks. In reality, the only low points of the game and the reason why some of hot headed reviewers gave game bad reviews, are not-so-long playing time. Nothing of big concern, the story is quite long, wraps itself nice and you feel only a little regret that it is over, but not, for example, an anger that you played while eating dinner and it was suddenly over. The second lowdown are simple ,as for part two of already developed idea, puzzles. On a commentary track authors actually admitted that it was intentional not make game too hard. With the first game, it wouldn't be a problem, but with a second release, there must be expectations to have some more sophisticated challenges. Saying as saying, those two arenâ Expand
  99. May 5, 2011
    An essential addition to any gamer's collection. I found the game highly enjoyable in all aspects (sound, graphics, story, play) but one: my partner-in-crime and I could've finished the vast majority of co-op mode without the other if it weren't for the fact that we needed the other to step on a button or two. However, this didn't really detract from our overall enjoyment of both playAn essential addition to any gamer's collection. I found the game highly enjoyable in all aspects (sound, graphics, story, play) but one: my partner-in-crime and I could've finished the vast majority of co-op mode without the other if it weren't for the fact that we needed the other to step on a button or two. However, this didn't really detract from our overall enjoyment of both play modes, and the 25 hours I've logged so far are just the beginning. Expand
  100. May 5, 2011
    Let me start of by saying whoever thinks that this game is difficult is a idiot. This game is unrealistic and the graphics are garbage.The game is extremely boring. Great job Valve!

1. Oct 20, 2011