8.7

1. Jan 5, 2014
    This is probably best puzzle game ever!! Each puzzle is really well designed which give game unique experience. As Valve started to release really bad titles like L4D didn't expect much from them anymore. I'm glad I was wrong. Portal 2 is pure awesomeness in bot singleplayer and coop modes!
  2. Jun 17, 2012
    Excellent! Almost can't even put a value on it. Superb writing, story, and humor. Awesome environments and animations. Wonderful gameplay. Some of the new testing components got me annoyed. Just so much goodness...
  3. Jun 9, 2012
    This is TOTALLY A GO! Very good story line, amazing AI(Artificial Intelligence), Amazing graphics, amazing art, very detailed puzzles, very good lighting style, its one of the best physics games out there! You cannot bypass this game! If you're the type that likes puzzle games, but yet have good story line, then this is the game for you. Valve really did good with this game.
  4. Jun 12, 2012
    Great sequel to the first one. This game is very different from others, this is a very strategic and quite funny game. I recommend this to anyone and everyone who enjoys a great challenge and a good laugh!
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    Portal 2 takes Portal and exceeds the awesomeness they made in the first game. It's a fact that Valve can still troll their userbase for 5 months and still make a great game!
  6. Nov 15, 2012
    Now remember, the cake is a lie, guys. Other than that, the storyline is too awesome and gameplay is too awesome also. A must buy game. Don't look at the people who give bad reviews, it's cake, and cake is a lie.
  7. Jun 18, 2012
    Valve has out-done them selves. This game shows the future of valve games. The length of the game is longer than the first and the graphics are a big improvement. the story is hilarious, especially with the company of wheatly; a silly little robot that has no idea what he's doing and of course GlaDos trying to bring you down along the way.
  8. Jun 19, 2012
    Portal 2 is brilliant, just brilliant. It haves memorable story and characters, and the same unique and great gameplay. SIngle player experience is so great, that you will be impressed from the outstanding story. Not just that, even multiplayer is excellent, playing co-op is rewarding. Just buy it, and you will see how awesome it is!
  9. Jul 5, 2012
    Portal 2 is an incredible breath of fresh air from the monotonous shooters and RPG games being churned out nowadays. These people who are "giving the game a 1 to offset the 'Valve fanboys'" need to grow up. Not every game needs to have a bunch of killing and cursing to be "funny" or "adult oriented". If the puzzles weren't challenging for you, then that's great. That means you're pretty damn smart and you should go on to do great things, instead of bashing a game on the internet. You wanna know why this got game of the year? Because it's DIFFERENT. Because it doesn't follow the set-in-stone formula of "bad guys have a bomb; go kill bad guys; play multiplayer". This game actually has a story line that makes you feel attached to it. Can't say that I've felt that way towards a game in years. I can honestly say, for the first time in my 21 years of gaming, that I am LOOKING FORWARD to DLC. As long as it pertains to the original story then it's going to be great. Expand
  10. Jul 15, 2012
    First time I give 10/10, I grabbed this game for 4 EURs and was one of a most engaging gaming experience I had in years. Negatives are about shortness or easiness of story line, but since game has extras and community maps its actually infinite challenging fun therefore anyone giving it less than 10.0 isn't familiar with game mechanics enough. Do some research before bashing. Thanks.
  11. Jun 22, 2012
    Simply a 10/10. Even if my computer is crap when it comes to these kind of games, I'm still stunned at its quality, which is amazing. The amount of upgrades this game received compared to the original is endless, and the final boss is one of the most epic bosses ever.
  12. Jun 24, 2012
    This has to be one of the best games of all time. Super original premise (although it is a sequel), the story is amazing and the characters are deep. The enviroment is masterfully put together. The multiplayer mode ads a huge amount of content to enjoy and you can even make your own test chambers! Really this game is a must buy to anyone of all ages.
  13. Jul 11, 2012
    302 people don't even know what a gorgeous game is! One of the best games I have ever played. That's normal because Valve is in it. All I can say is that Portal 2 is my fourth best game on the list!
  14. Jul 12, 2012
    It's something for everyone. Hours of endless fun with the new custom maps. Co op is a fantastic way to socialise as it is very casual and laid back, however it challenges the mind aswell with its hard puzzles.
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    The best Valve game (yes, better than HL2!). This game is an absolute joy from start to end, with humorous and puzzling situations. If you haven't played the first one... Well still do that, but you HAVE to play this one IMMEDIATELY after!
  16. Jul 31, 2012
    This game was amazing. It is fun, clever and beautiful. Consistently clever writing perfectly complements the onscreen action. Brilliant comedic timing. Level of difficulty of the puzzles throughout the game was amazing. Voice acting and the characters are brilliant.
  17. Dec 13, 2012
    Portal 2 takes the awesome premise and gameplay of the original and incorporates it into a shiny new game, complete with a full-length singleplayer game, new co-op modes, a more developed story, and impressive new graphics and level design. It thereby answers most of the criticisms of the first game without feeling like simply a remake of it. This game has lost much of the dark humor and mystery of its predecessor in favor of a more epic journey mixed with lots of witty and absurd humor. Overall I think it did a good job of taking the original concepts of Portal to the next level and creating a game experience that felt familiar without being stale. Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    This gam doesn't get much better. The concepts are awesome, the graphics are just as good, and the story line is amazing. It's even better now that you can make your own levels on Steam Community. If you don't have it, get it. You're money will be well spent if you buy this game.
  19. Jul 25, 2012
    The game itself is a true jewel, inventive, original and with a righteously defined difficulty. But what makes it really lovely is the misty story and the as brilliant as cynical humor of the omnipresent center coordinator.
    Not only a puzzle game, it will ask of you sometime a good coordination too.
    Coop campaign is a "TODO" as well!
    Hint : having finished the first opus will help to
    immerse in the game. Expand
  20. Jul 30, 2012
    Great game, great story and innovative gameplay. This game sucked me in from the first moment i started playing it, and one of the few games i played through from beginning to the end. You really dont even want it to end!! +10
  21. Jul 31, 2012
    Portal 2 is a wonderful game. I have read a great number of reviews regarding this game and I have to say that I was a little confused by all the reviews saying "terrible game" and "lacking in repeat play". Let's take a look at some of the things that make this game great and why the negative reviews are just plain wrong. I will be addressing the highs and lows of this game in an attempt to paint the most accurate picture I can.

Development of Portal 2 began almost immediately after the release of Portal included in Valve's Orange Box. The critical acclaim of Portal allowed the development team to branch off and develop a stand alone game and not just a modification included with the Half-Life franchise. Initially, Portal 2 was to do away with portals altogether and use a technology called "F-Stop", something only Valve insiders know the details about. Luckily, through the development of Portal 2, this idea was scrapped and a new approach was taken: Don't make Portal 2 more difficult, make it more grand in scope and add puzzles that make players feel smart when they solve them.

I will admit that sections of Portal had me tearing my hair out but Portal 2 managed to keep me calm even during the more difficult puzzles. I'm not saying that Portal 2 is easy, but I found myself wondering around a puzzle trying to figure out how to solve it instead of blindly shooting portals at walls and waiting for something to stick. Now, that aside, let's get down to business.

STORY

I found the story of Portal 2 to be very simple; something that I would expect from a game that focuses more on solving puzzles than developing characters. The game is supposed to be fun. You aren't supposed to develop intense connections to the characters. A cut scene every five minutes would be unfitting to a game centered around puzzle solving.

GAMEPLAY

The mechanics of Portal 2 are nearly identical to that of Portal. You make a portal, step through, and things happen based on where you come out. Valve has added certain elements that allow you to solve puzzles in new and interesting ways. It is no longer just about making portals, you are required to take your environment into consideration and be able to use the new tools Portal 2 has provided to solve the new puzzles.

That being said, the only reason Portal 2 can be as long as it is (it can be beat in an afternoon, a solid 5 hours) is due to these new tools. It adds a certain dynamic to the gameplay but in the end it just feels like they tried to add content simply to make the game longer. The new elements are a bit tedious at times and I ran into a few puzzles that were just incredibly frustrating. However, my complaining may just be due to the fact that it took me a while to figure out a few of the puzzles and that made me upset.

GRAPHICS

Portal 2 does not push graphics to a new high but it does make the Source Engine look very pretty. The in-game animations look great and the destruction/creation of world elements is pulled off nicely. Having a loading screen pop up at then end of almost every test chamber does get annoying though. Several people have noted that this is a clear indicator that is game was designed for a console then ported to PC. After doing a bit of research though, I found this not to be the case. From a strictly graphical standpoint, Portal 2 does not disappoint.

CHARACTERS/DIALOG

As a whole, the voice acting is wonderfully done. It includes Ellen McClain reprising her role as GlaDOS, Stephen Merchant as the idiotic A.I. Wheatley, and J.K. Simmons voicing the founder of Aperture Science, Cave Johnson.

The scripted dialog between the characters does get a bit childish at times and the jokes a bit campy and dated but I did find myself chuckling on more than a few occasions. Then again, there is no real gore in this game and could be argued that it is suited for a younger audience, which is fine, despite it's "Teen" rating.

REPLAY VALUE

Ok, this where I would like to address a few issues. A lot of people have complained that once you solve a puzzle, there is no real replay value. Most of this game is based on solving puzzles, not quick reflexes or shooting skills. So where does the replay value come in? The Portal 2 Workbench. Valve has included a built in level builder where you are free to make new chambers and share them with the Steam community. Others have even gone on to create more complex levels in Hammer to add new story lines and locations. This is also not some small community with a rather limited number of levels, this is a VAST group of people all looking to contribute something unique. In my opinion, there is PLENTY of replay value in Portal 2.

So, there you have it. This game is immensely fun but in order for you to fully enjoy it, you must be willing to dive into the user-created content. Some of the puzzles can feel tedious but wholly enjoyable non-the-less.
  22. Aug 6, 2012
    Combine the brilliant storytelling of Half-Life and add insanely witty humor with mind bending puzzles based on an outstanding concept. You can't go wrong with Portal 2.
  23. Aug 8, 2012
    This game was a joy to play, singleplayer as well as multiplayer, the crazy little emotes the robots do are hilarious, the puzzles are challenging and fun, definitely worth the money.
  24. Aug 7, 2012
    AMAZING game. Great plot, great characters, great gameplay. All around an awesome game. The only negative I could think of was that some of the levels, even later in the game, were too easy. I'd give it a 9.9 if I could. I refuse to give out tens though, because no game is perfect ;)
  25. Aug 9, 2012
    I don't usually like first person games because they're all about shooting things and being quick about it (and I'm bad at that!). Both Portal games are favorites, because they're really, really, good puzzle games. The puzzles are great and interesting, and using portals is an awesome and fun way of going about it. There are many good point and click adventures, many good sidescrolling puzzle-games, but why aren't there more games like this!? Expand
  26. Aug 11, 2012
    the best puzzler of all time. that's Portal 2 in a nutshell. this sequel does justice to the original and then surpasses it in every way from the graphics to the physics to the puzzles themselves. the games length is certainly greater than the original with heaps of puzzles. the games storyline is great clearing up a lot of mystery behind the series as well as introducing new characters. the humour is brilliant with some moments which really made me laugh and the game is littered with easter eggs and references. the game is fun from beginning to end and leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment when you complete a puzzle. the multi-player is a nice touch to the game with completely different to the single player whilst introducing more characters and a new storyline with the puzzles forcing you to cooperate with your partner. you must get this game now no questions asked Expand
  27. Aug 12, 2012
    I'm not quite sure what I was expecting from this game, but it wasn't this. This game builds perfectly off the original. It expands on the original game mechanics, puzzles, world and story in exactly the right way to make it feel like its own game while keeping all the reasons I loved Portal.
  28. Aug 13, 2012
    Portal's 2 unique design and mind blowing puzzles, are not a surprise. But the new great characters, and the spectacular story make this game a truly masterpiece. I can't say It's perfect, but I can say It's amazing. Both, single player and multi player are great. And, every moment in this game is funny, dramatic and terrific, mixed with the outstanding soundtrack and with the top notch voice acting. Sometimes co-op may be complicated, example, when you're friend makes mistakes, or something like that, but never, ever can't brake your fun, and makes your fun highly more. 98 out of 100 Expand
  29. Sep 6, 2012
    Easily, one of the best games I have ever played. Much, much! longer than the original Portal, it will keep you entertained for the amount of hours it takes to beat it (Many hours). Portal 2 delivers more humor, more levels, more characters, more dialogue, and even chapters. And an all new multi-player mode! From the very first level, till the very last battle, it is a rare gem in the gaming world. In the end, it easily earns a 10 from me. Expand
  30. Aug 31, 2012
    Portal 2 is Valve's MASTERPIECE
    Amazing humour, lots of challanges, 10 times better than the first one
    its just great, When I was playing through this game I was speechless
    But valve, even if you cant count to 3.....
    if you learn how to, make the next one muuuuuuuuch longer I never want the campain to finish
  31. Sep 8, 2012
    It will be hard to make a Portal 3 as good as this is. it's not like the first Portal that you can finish on just some minutes, this was bigger than I thought it would be, and more awesome
  32. Sep 9, 2012
    The best game i have played by far, the funniest most exciting experience, good insight to the game and well executed everything they set out to do, i would of rated it somewhere between 8-9 if it weren't for the update in which you could make your own levels which basically put icing on that goddamn cake.
  33. Nov 29, 2012
    One of the best games ever made. The concept behind it is simple, but very addictive. The game looks very good. The artworkteam has done their job right, the facility looks EPIC, and you are constantly trying to figure out why it looks the way it looks. The storyline is amusing and Valve got the best voiceactors for this game that you can imagine. The puzzels are what the game is all about, and very challenging, yet definetly not to difficult. Also try playing multiplayer, it adds a whole new dimension to the game, and teaches you to think even more different, not with 2, but with 4 portals. Expand
  34. Sep 21, 2012
    Great story and funny characters, great voice-work too. The source engine might be 7 years old but the game still looks good enough. The single-player is long enough and entertaining until the end. The COOP mode is innovative and lots of fun to play. Then there is 200.000 More custom levels to play.
  35. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome game, especially if you loved or played Portal 1. This game is far longer and I wouldn't say it is as revolutionary as the first one but it does add large amounts of new fun and interesting content. Love the voice acting. Only complaint is that it can hurt your eyes a little in the later parts of the game. The people who have played it will know what I'm talking about...Sometimes the wall you need to see is not very visible... Expand
  36. Sep 28, 2012
    It's an amazing game, I don't feel as if I need to explain myself. Valve puts time into their development, and it shows. Valve isn't like other crap companies (cough cough Infinity Ward). 10/10!
  37. Jul 18, 2013
    I'm absolutely taken aback at just how good this game is. I finished the first Portal in just under 2 days, and loved every second of it. Portal 2 is leaps and bounds better than Portal 1, and I didn't think that would have been possible. One of the best games I have ever played, and likely ever will.
  38. Oct 11, 2012
    I don't think Valve could have made this game any better. Taking on the body of your former protagonist , Chel, you must make your way through floors and floors of challenging puzzles to escape Aperture Laboratories. Having the rude and hilarious GlaDos constantly embarrassing you gives the game a comic feel while having Wheatly follow you throughout the levels to add a friend element to the game. No doubt this game is amazing in every way. Expand
  39. Nov 14, 2012
    This game succeeds at everything it tries to do- it creates a fantastic environment, has funny, likeable characters, presents difficult puzzles, and draws you along an interesting storyline. The only downside is that this game might be considered too short, even with the multiplayer coop (which is fantastic, by the way). However, I got the game at a discount and consider it to have been well worth my investment. I recommend the game for puzzle enthusiasts and anyone who wishes to have their brain stretched a bit. Expand
  40. Jan 3, 2013
    The original Portal was a great deal because even through it was short and had no multiplayer or replay value, it came bundled in the Orange Box. Portal 2 takes the game in a more comical direction with more characters and a stronger narrative, but doesn't expand much on the original's gameplay. There is a co-op mode but it's only worth playing through once, and with the main campaign clocking in at 10 hours tops, you're looking at best 20 hours of gameplay for $20. This is a good deal in my mind but others might be expecting more from Valve. Since it's release the price has dropped significantly and Workshop integration has been added resulting in easy access to thousands of custom maps. Another must-play from Valve. Expand
  41. Oct 30, 2012
    I loved the first Portal so I had to get the second, its an excellent game, it offers more than the first and the humor is spot on, there is not so much I can say about it, the puzzles are great although I found most of them a little too easy and I think some people did complain over that but nevertheless fun, I love Stephen Merchant's brilliant and witty voice acting as Wheatley, reminds me so much of Darren Lamb and that's great. If you want a great game, great humor and puzzles to get that brain going then get Portal 2, you will not be disappointed Expand
  42. Mar 16, 2014
    One of the best games ever created. It is unlike anything you've played before (unless you've played Portal 1). This is a unique game that really puts your brain to work with it's puzzle-type stages. The story is fantastic and hilarious. This is Valves best game IMO. It also has endless replay value due to Steam Workshop.
  43. Dec 2, 2012
    Es un excelente juego tanto en single player, como en cooperativo, recomendado para aquellas personas que les juste jugar con su pareja ya que es muy entretenido y un juego sano que permite jugar con la habilidad mental de los participantes.
  44. Nov 14, 2012
    Portal 2 is fascinating. It is another Valve's masterpiece, thankfully. This sequel is even more fun, thanks to the new elements that are added. The puzzle design in Portal 2 may be the best from all puzzle games. The puzzles are mind blowing and fun, and none of them are frustrating. The new characters are charming and remarkable, all followed with a superb voice acting. The writing is terrific and frequently this game made me laugh out loud, because of the funny quotes of the characters. In short words, Portal 2 is a mind blowing experience and a nearly perfect game! (10) Expand
  45. Nov 20, 2012
    Portal 2 has proven that puzzle games can be addicting, memorable and hilarious. It's a sweet treat of a PC game, and the best one so far. Highly original and clever, I recommend it.
  46. Nov 23, 2012
    Best game that Valve made after Half Life!
    Singleplayer is more than satisfying, it's brilliant! Ending almost made me cry and I love credits :D
    Coop is amazingly executed, actually, it has best Co Op I've ever seen!
    Graphics are simply amazing! Lighting engine does the job excellent and textures are beautiful.
    It has so much player created maps, so you will NEVER run out of things to
    do!

It's currently 3,74 euros on steam, but only 24 hours more!
    So, HURRY UP AND BUY IT!
  47. Nov 26, 2012
    I found Portal 2 the best game I have ever played. Have read some of the negative reviews here and they are all without any basis in reality. The game is not short at all, It is endless, check out some of the insane community chambers if you doubt me. The story mode is exactly as long as it needs to be, for a game of this type. The story sits within the game like a parable that lends some form of sanity to the madness of sitting and doing these fun little brain teasers, if it was any longer it would become stale. Where is the rule that longer is better? I played through Portal 2 with my PC plugged into my TV so my kids (5 and 8 yr old girls) could sit and watch, and they loved it too, "Daddy please play Portal 2 so we can watch", if that isn't the most ringing endorsement for a game I don't know what is, very few games are so good that people will happily sit and watch YOU play. Enjoy! Expand
  48. Dec 29, 2012
    Very good puzzle game, and took me almost 9 hours to finish first run through. If you enjoyed puzzle in portal 1, you will like the longer version of portal 2. Get this when it goes on sale at $5.
  49. Jan 26, 2013
    I played the first Portal and enjoyed its uniqueness, but when the Portal 2 was announced I had no interest in it, assuming it was just going to be a expansion type of sequel. However, not only was my assumption wrong, it was one of the most ignorant things I ever thought of. Portal 2 was in my opinion the best game of 2011 and will be in my top 5 games for years to come. Whoever wrote the script in this game is absolutely a comical genius. Every bit of dialogue is original, humorous and you may sometimes find yourself staying put just so you can hear the rest. The graphics are great, it still uses the ol' source engine, but the graphics and game play are quite flawless.The characters in this game are very memorable because their unique personalities and you are even able to see each emotion just based on facial movement. This game is a must-have. It doesn't matter if you are casual or hardcore, whether you're young or old, it is worth the money Expand
  50. Dec 8, 2012
    A Really good Valve game, i really liked it. Just ignore what them low-score trolls say, this game is great. Re-playability isn't the best ever, as you already know the jokes and puzzles. But luckily there's the PTI, which allows you to get community maps and make portal an infinite game. Also, if you have a friend who also has this game, you can play co-op, with of course GLaDOS, and some death-related jokes etc. It's also quite funny when you're in a Faith plate test, and you have to grab a cube. And just after your friend gets the cube, he falls in the water. Cracks me up for couple of minutes. Anyways, great game, great Co-op, good community maps and certainly worth 20 Expand
  51. Dec 8, 2012
    Portal 2 is an atomic bomb. The single player mode is 2-3 times longer than Portal and offers many new options. The story is richer too.
    Once finished, I immediately played it again!
    Potentials as a series for Portal are vast and we are far from seeing the end.
    The co-op mode is also very entertaining. Creating four portals is a good twist to pass a level!
    Also, the Steam Workshop adds
    a great value, with levels from players all around the globe.
    Portal opens your mind!
  52. Dec 11, 2012
    READ MY OTHER REVIEW! This one is just like that, but has a chamber maker that provides you with endless challenges and fun from the whole community Aperture Scientist's! You can even play with a friend.
  53. Jan 31, 2014
    An absolute gem of a game, a tense, puzzle driven game that is nonetheless absolutely hilarious. I sound myself repeating some of the lines to my wife, who found them funny even though she had no idea what game it was.

Utterly brilliant, it's games like these that put Valve at the top of the PC gaming pyramid.
  54. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is awesome. I have no idea what you guys in the negative reviews are talking about with "short story" and "easy puzzles." Most of the puzzles are fairly challenging and there's a good 8 hours of story. If you have EVER played a valve game, you know not to expect maybe more than 8 hours of story, with the exception of the original Half-Life which had about 10. The game is a good buy. It has a relatively good story, with good puzzles, and some good humor. Very likable characters. Sure, the multiplayer isn't much. But it's not really fair to effect the score so much. Portal 2 was designed solely around Singleplayer and if you really expect a co-op puzzle game to work well, your hopes are way too high. The music is pretty good. Sorry, but there aren't as many "the cake is a lie" in this as there was in the first one. I'm giving this game a 9 because I'm hesitant to give it a full 10. It's probably about 9.4. But it's a good game for all ages and as long as you don't have ADHD and can't make it past the first 10 minutes or so, it's very fun. Expand
  55. Sep 29, 2013
    (This review is for the single player game only) For those not familiar, Portal and Portal II are puzzle games that use the same viewpoint and controls of a first-person-shooter. Not quite as groundbreaking as the first Portal, but miles ahead in terms of graphics and gameplay. A bunch of new gameplay mechanics were added, and the mood and graphics were enhanced compared to the first Portal. The game seemed longer, and the humor was great. The comic relief character Wheatley played by Stephen Merchant was excellent. There are parts of the game that are very dark and foreboding, parts that are ridiculous and zany, and parts that are just plain weird. This is a must-play game for anyone that likes puzzles, a true classic game. Expand
  56. Jan 4, 2013
    The first game brought us a whole new perspective to first person shooting, because you don't actually shoot people, but walls. Although it's criticized by some, the second one is completely entertaining and the story is very involving.
    Yes, I said the story is awesome. If you are saying that it is boring, try to complete the game more times, pick up all the details and you will realize
    something: Valve didn't write an obvious and crystal-clear script. The greatest satisfaction about this game is to pay attention at the "Easter-eggs" and at the little genially surprising details.
    If you didn't get it at the first time, try to search on the internet about all the game secrets; you may change your perspective about the story of Portal and Portal 2.
    Oh, and about the levels: well, yea, they are not so difficult, but you will find yourself thinking hard sometimes. However, I didn't find it disturbing with such a great screenplay running along with the puzzles.
  57. Jan 5, 2013
    Is one of the best games of my life.The movie that this is not a game almost as
    Will not suspect. Cleaner graphics, a fantastic story. And a huge reversal.
    The laboratory, the new elements have emerged. New lasers, gels, etc. have emerged.
    In many ways, this game is the best.
  58. Jan 6, 2013
    This game was my first preorder i have ever made. Worth it. Great grahics, great scenario, music, a lot of fun etc. but puzzles are not good enough. There is challenge mode which i very liked. U are compared to other players in this so even want to be more better.
  59. Jan 8, 2013
    If you do not own this masterpiece, you must IMMEDIATELY purchase it - it is a truly wonderful adventure every time you play it. Of course, from Valve, that is to be expected; yet Portal 2 beat my own expectations by quite a lot - it is such a masterpiece. Buy it now.
  60. Jan 13, 2013
    Next to Team Fortress 2, this is the best Valve game ever made. It was worth the money I spent. The game has beautiful arts, the controls fit nicely, and the game itself is determined to blow you away completely. The game features a multiplayer game mode where you can actually test your intelligence with your friends and solve puzzles together. Portal is underrated, and deserves more than it bargains for. Portal is good for anyone of any age. Solve these masterpieces of puzzles, work together with friends, and own the generation of robotics and a "small" lab procedure (no pun intended). Highly recommended to anyone of any age, of any kind. Expand
  61. Jan 17, 2013
    I simply love this game, I believe this to be one of the best examples of how Modern gaming can go through. The characters you meet are fruitful and they don't feel just like mere robots ! That was already a huge surprise to me , a major improvement to what Portal 1 had . As a puzzle game , it did not disappoint , it simply delivers.. now I just hope Half-Life 3 will complete my love for Valve.
  62. Jan 20, 2013
    Portal 2, though lacking the initial 'modest charm' and mysteriousness of the original, offers a much more polished and cinematic experience with content equally if not more engaging than the first. Brand new puzzle challenges, a captivating story, new characters and world concepts to explore, consistently good voice acting (including a surprising role by Stephen Merchant) and lashes of humor come together in a must-have game that can be played even without knowledge of the prior game.

Additional features, like the community-focused level editor, add a new dimension.

It was easy to screw up here, but Portal 2 is not a lazy sequel by any means. It feels like a solid, richer, classier progression of its predecessor.

Its a do-not-miss kind of game.
  63. Jan 21, 2013
    What can I say that has not been covered already in all these reviews. A GOTY worthy title and a must have. One of my favourite games to date and probably Valves best ever title. A very enjoyable, engaging game with nice graphics , great voice-acting and great dialogue , you really can't ask for more from this gem.
  64. Jan 23, 2013
    By far one of my most favorite games, ever. Filled with genius plot, humorous characters, and excellent puzzle design. The first Portal game was released in 2007, with addition to the orange box. But 4 years later, Valve took what was great about the first game, and multiplied it by 1000. A fully fledged, innovative title that nobody should miss. Ever.
  65. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is not only Valve's masterwork, but one of, if not the, greatest video game I have ever played i
    my life. It is beautiful (even though it runs on a now nine-year old engine), innovative, and perhaps most of all, hilarious. This game is one of the few to make me laugh, cry (not really), and fell like a complete genius, sometimes all at once. It has a brilliant script, and
    everything GlaDOS, Cave, and Wheatly have to say is golden. If you have even a passing interest in gaming, or even if you don't, you owe it to yourself to play this masterpiece. I really cannot recomend this enough Expand
  66. Jan 27, 2013
    This game is superior to Portal and one of the best Valve games ever made.The characters, like Wheatley, are hilarious, the puzzles are challenging enough, and, depending on how quickly you find the solutions to the puzzles, the game can be as long as 10 hours, for a $20 title! And that isn't even counting the co-op campaign, or the level editor. I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys Valve games, and even anyone who enjoys puzzle games in general. Expand
  67. Jul 25, 2013
    Portal 2 is the sequel of Portal and much better! It has new gaming features, you can play in coop and buld and play community maps! The game has much humor and is just brilliant.
  68. Aug 9, 2013
    One of my favorite games ever. Valve did make an awesome puzzlegame, which contains action, challenging levels and a great story; not so often founf in this kind a games.

For me clearly a 10/10.
  69. Feb 12, 2013
    One of, if not THE BEST game I have EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE! The Story to the series itself is amazing as it is all hidden and scattered throughout the games.
    I'm top 100 in the world on the PC Leaderboards and I'll continue to keep playing this game for years to come!
  70. Feb 15, 2013
    This game is very different from most puzzle games. It has an amazing story line that I could not argue with, and not only that, but the story is kind of a mystery which Valve hides throughout the game. Not only is it a great puzzle game, but it also ranks in high for a great plat-former. The way you can launch yourself with this device is incredible and the tests are very mind-boggling. My favorite part is that they decided to add a co-op mode to this, but when you beat all the levels you can play some more levels made by you the community. Overall I'd have to say this was the best puzzle game of the year. Expand
  71. May 25, 2013
    greatest puzzle game to date. a brilliant game. its also the funniest game to date. its just hilarious!!!! the puzzles here are just exellent, and their just in the right place, it makes you think, but it doesnt et irritating, and its always possible to find the solution. he game is super funny!!!! there are also a lot of elements that change the puzzles and make them much better!!!
    negatives: the graphics are old!! the game look pretty old. the other problema is that some of the locations feel repetetive and bland.
    beside this little issues this is a really fun and brilliant game!!!!!!
  72. Mar 17, 2013
    Everything you'd expect from Valve; deep and interesting story, puzzles that aren't too easy but aren't too hard, fantastic humour and beautiful graphics. One of my favourite games of all time.
  73. May 14, 2013
    Portal 2 is everything a video game should be. It's thrilling at times, fun and hilarious from start to finish, entertaining, the perfect balance between realism and fiction, and it's simply a work of scientific art. The only minor downsides are the frequent loadingscreens and the Advanced Testchambers that were left out, but thanks to Steam's Workshop you can create your own maps and play those of others, adding countless hours of fan dedication to both singpleplayer and coöperative experiences. Expand
  74. Feb 23, 2013
    HOLY CRAP! I haven't even finished this game and I can tell that the storyline is epic! Screw the others who say this game is dung! I say that this is a game I would recommend to anyone who is AWESOME!
    (which is everyone)
  75. Dec 8, 2013
    Portal 2 is a fun, engaging and truly wonderful experience. The puzzles were well-adjusted on all parameters and so was the soft and humble narrating. Compared to an exciting novel or an alluring painting, Portal 2 contains the best of both and is everything an artful and sly game should be.
  76. May 20, 2013
    Great game, recommended for anyone. Funny characters, simple yet interesting storyline, highly atmospheric environment. The puzzles mess with your head at first, but as the game progresses, you just start using portals as naturally as walking. Only downside is this game is not very replayable, by its nature. I'd replay the heck out of it otherwise.
  77. Mar 11, 2013
    The engaging, mind-bending gameplay of the original with a few twists, the same fantastic voice acting, and the best narrative in video game history. Rarely is the medium handled with such technical and artistic proficiency. Simply the best.
  78. Mar 21, 2013
    Before Portal I've never played any puzzle game before, but I saw people love it so I caught it on sale.
    Portal 2 is amazing, funny, long and interesting. The plot was interesting and unpredictable and the graphics proved that the Source engine can also be pretty. Now with the workshop evolved too, Portal 2 is simply a stream of endless fun. I highly recommend.
  79. Nov 11, 2013
    What a fantastic sequel. It takes everything you liked from the first game, makes it better, and then throws in a lot more content. All without managing to ruin the spirit of the original. There's finally something to look at instead of the same dull test chamber. The story is longer and more complex, filling in a lot of the blanks from the previous game. Plus, the co-op mode is just as good, if not better, than the single player. Expand
  80. Sep 1, 2013
    While the story and puzzles are good the main success's was the co-op and humor the story is better and the new characters those robots in co-op and Wheatly are excellent characters and Wheatly's voice acting is the best ever that guy deserves a award well okay maybe Vaas actor Michael Mando is better but still this is a really good game
  81. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is the BEST game human mind ever created. I'm serious. This is the pearl of gamemaking it is perfect game really perfect without any flaws. Plot is simply AMAZING, such great history would make high five to any Lucas film. Gameplay is very unique and entertaining. And this graphics, this surroundings underground laboratories, it is like you really have been there. This is not even 10-10, this is beyond and mark, no game can compete with Portal 2. Expand
  82. Mar 28, 2013
    Nice game, nice story.At some levels you have to think a lot for the solution, but this is what makes it fun.Graphics are quite good considering that its working with Source
  83. Apr 4, 2013
    It's really nice and smooth gameplay. The puzzles may aquire little bit of portalish thinking. Really nice puzzle from Valve. They did a great job again. Kudos. it could have been a little bit longer though. But there is also custom maps made by community of Portal 2. I recommend buying the first one as well, because it drags you to story better. They both have good story. I just love the feeling when you do some badass jump and you don't hurt yourself at all with your badass boots. There is good music. Really fits. Funny achievements. Expand
  84. Jul 5, 2013
    This game is the definition of excellence. The puzzles are challenging, and the writing is simply amazing, I have never seen a video game where the characters are so well written that I feel like I actually know them. The co-op offers hours of fun, (as does the actual campaign), and when you're done with those, you can go on and create your own levels and try some of the communities levels via Steam Workshop. This game deserves the good ratings its been getting and is an excellent sequel to its predecessor, Portal. Expand
  85. Apr 8, 2013
    There are simply no words able to describe the perfection of this game.
    The rest I write is just to fill the 150 word character limit, to submit this review.
  86. Apr 26, 2013
    If I say "The cake is a lie" or if I draw you a blue and orange circle and some stick-mens, you know of what I'm talking about. When Portal took our attention, we didn't expected the sequel, but it comes and it comes the way we wanted to. Elaborated Story, more details, beautiful graphics, multiplayer. The "Steam workshop" brings us the possibility to make maps, even models and to share it to all the Portal community. Portal 2's got more than the name, it has got the honnor to be with the best games of all times, and This is proved. Expand
  87. Apr 17, 2013
    I loved this game, just like I loved the first one. Single player was great. Multiplayer is fun but I would like some pairing beyond friends and random. I played with random people and had a lot of fun with one person I played with and just wasted time with the other 5 or 6 attempts. People would either just mess around (die intentionally on the title screens) or about how bad I was without showing any signs of knowing how to get any further. Some sort of ranking would help. Expand
  88. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is inarguably the hallmark game of this generation. It reminds players of how games should be played and develelopers of how games should be made. A sequel to the 2007 critically acclaimed Portal, Portal 2 still manages to top its predecessor in almost every aspect: from level designing, gameplay mechanics to the more wow-able factors of the series: story and characters. Portal 2 is a great break from the mass of games today that concentrates too much on players' characterization and multiple gameplay oriented endings. Portal 2 is pre-scripted, yet the game not at once failed to awe its audience: an eerily beautiful and mystifying journey that twists and turns here and there, keeping everyone on their heels for what's to come. Portal 2 is a must-have for all who believe in the bright future of gaming, for all who would enjoy a beautiful cinematic movie or a richly written book. Expand
  89. Apr 27, 2013
    So much could've gone wrong during the development of Portal 2, yet Valve accomplishes the impossible and outdoes its predecessor in almost every way without giving the feeling of deja vu. The game includes plenty of new tools to experiment with, a much more expanded world, debut characters, and a more complex storyline than the original. The biggest new assets to the series are the additions of Wheatley and Cave Johnson (voice acted by Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons respectively). Although I was GLaD that Ellen McLain returns in this sequel, these fresh AIs are also brilliant in their own rights. Wheatley is an energetic personality core with plenty of cleverly written and performed lines. The same can be said of Aperture boss Cave Johnson, who feels as if were born for the task. GLaDOs is charmingly evil, as in the previous installment, but more sarcastic this time around, especially when she awakens and desperately attempts to rebuild the labs. There are, according to Valve Software, about four hundred lines of dialogue in the entire game, and not one fails to entertain. But new faces aren't the only first-timers, Valve also adds in plenty of new gameplay elements to toy around with. From gels to tractor beams to light bridges to lens blocks and more, there is a ton of introductions to the game. Now, the original Portal was fairly difficult even with only buttons, cubes, and your portal gun, so it may seem overwhelming at first with all this brand new content, but Valve ushers them in slowly so you can understand their mechanics before using them in clever ways. Speaking of which, the game is challenging, but never frustrating, letting you have fun while still satisfying after solving an exceptionally hard puzzle. The environment is now much expanded, allowing you to see more than just test chambers. Also visible are the surrounding areas, overgrown with vegetation and scrambling back into place once you enter the room. The Source Engine allows for slick graphics and realistic physics, although some may consider it to be a bit of a step back from more modern video games such as Crysis, Uncharted, or Rage that look astounding. The writing is consistently funny, a nice companion to the more serious tone of the story. Just like the original, there are plenty of twists and turns in the plotline to keep you engaged. The story itself is fantastic, allowing for you to discover the past events of Aperture Laboratories and giving the characters some nice and surprising developments along the way. The soundtrack is beloved with hits like Want You Gone and Exile Vilify pleasing the ears. Portal 2 is a puzzle game, if you haven't known already, so expect to use your brain a lot. The game makes you feel incredibly smart, a reward for passing some of the more challenging but never unfair levels. The entire story is told through experience, just like the original. There are no in-game cutscenes as in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves or Red Dead Redemption. Instead, the story progresses as you go, allowing for a more personal participation in the game. Once you're done with the single player mode, there is a cooperative mode, which is, in some ways, even better. You connect online via Steam and use either voice chat or a surprisingly effective set of visual cues to inform your partner on where to place portals. Valve takes full advantage of this and creates mind-bending puzzles that require FULL teamwork. If you do not contribute, there is no way to advance the game. This mode also continues the story after the single player campaign, so if you want more of Portal, this is a great way to progress the game. There are also two DLCs to look over (Peer Review and Perpetual Testing Initiative). Peer Review is the third part of the Portal 2 storyline and continues the co-op gameplay while Perpetual Testing Initiative allows for you to create YOUR OWN PUZZLES and launch them to the world. You can also subscribe to other people's creations leading to endless replayability. The Steam Workshop allows for simple ways to build stages instead of level builders that require more time spent on experimenting to perfect it than actually making your puzzles. Each of these updates is free and adds a significant amount of replay value to an already incredible game. Portal 2 is the best game I've ever played. It may seem too much of an overstatement, but it truly is spectacular. The writing, the characters, the story, the stages, the level editor, the co-op all are put together to create a truly unique experience. This first-person puzzle game has captured my heart, just as the original did, but this time, I can truly say that this is a masterpiece. There are also fifty or so achievements to try your hand at. Each of them are fun to attempt most of them shouldn't be too difficult,. There is also the developer's commentary which brings an exciting new look at the making of the game. Portal 2 is one of those rare titles that you lose sleep over. Expand
  90. Apr 28, 2013
    fun new mechanics, great voice-acting, funny dialog... am i the only one who almost cried at the ending song? and the sense of freedom that makes you reflect on life... this is the pinnacle of interactive experience folks.
    haven't tried any of the custom made maps, but that's just a bonus. i'm going to try to get my fiancee to go through the co-op with me. wish me luck!
  91. Jun 7, 2013
    Portal 2 does the impossible. It makes an already perfect game even more so. The graphics and enviormental art are much more interesting than it's predicessor and adds another humurously dark plot with even more characters. The plot has been expanded to make this a full game unlike portal 1. Better yet there is a co-op mode with a whole slew of maps that are great with friends. And the best part of this game is there are easy map editing tools with the steam workshop, so even when you complete the lengthy single-player and co-op campaigns, you will be given infinite amount of replayability. Defenitly worth the $20 bucks and 150+ hours Expand
  92. Jan 4, 2014
    A brilliant puzzle game! I remember playing it when it first came out. Portal 2 has both a good singleplayer and a great CO-OP campaign. There's a lot of fun dialogues and cut-scenes. The puzzles are fairly challenging and the game is in overall very entertaining.
  93. Apr 9, 2014
    Just when you think Portal couldn't get any better, Portal 2 comes out. Much longer in length, even better puzzles, hilariously funny scripting & voice acting (especially "Cave Johnson" & Glados). Some negative reviews here have some fair points (very high prices for purely cosmetic DLC), but much of it is simply "I don't like puzzles", which is pretty silly. I don't like sports games but instead of leaving negative reviews for them, I simply don't buy what I know in advance I don't like!

Likewise, "It's too much like the original" is a GOOD thing these days when some other developers have a tendency to repeatedly destroy franchises with dumbed-down "cinematic" tat (Thief 4 anyone?)... Overall I'll give the game a 9 simply because there were one or two crashes-to-desktop on mine. It would have gotten a 10 without them.
  94. Jan 2, 2014
    Best game ever! The game has great graphics with shadows and lighting. The old Aperture area is just massive with metal rails and huge structures. You even get to hear Cave Johnson.
  95. May 29, 2013
    A fantastically fun adventure, with awesome characters, a dark and atmospheric environment, interesting storyline. One of my personal favorite games, and valve's best so far. Would recommend to anyone.
  96. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Portal was good but this second installment really borders on perfection. Clever, funny, interesting: it never stops to be funny. Co-Op part of the game is great too.
  97. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is perfect... basically if you are looking for a fun time and a new experience play this game. It is not the same game as Portal 1. Valve made the game a longer and more modern game, instead of the indie style of Portal 1.
  98. Jul 28, 2013
    Portal 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. Not only Valve was able to create one of the most amazing story lines ever created, but they were able to do so using only three characters and a mute protagonist. There are literally no words to describe how amazing this game is, but lucky for you, Valve is even more awesome than their games, and will let you purchase it for just a few euros, you don't even need to have a good pc, the Source Engine can be run even by the worst laptops on the market.

And here comes my main reason that makes this the best game ever created: Wheatley. It's just incredible how Valve could create such an expressive and fun character out of an anonymous core from the first game. He has so many face expressions that's almost unbelievable, and Stephen Merchant's voice fits just perfectly for him that you'll just get dragged into the story without even noticing it.

Every time you'll think the game gave you everything, there will be a plot-twist awaiting you.

I actually bought 5 copies of this game, one for PS3, one for PC, and three for friends. The console port is perfect, don't listen to the people that say otherwise.
  99. Dec 1, 2013
    After the great game that was Portal, Portal 2 takes the original and makes it better in almost every possible way. The single player game is much longer now, there are more challenging puzzles, and there are different types of environments. In addition to Glados, Portal 2 introduces some new characters, the most significant being Wheatley and to say the least he is annoyingly funny. Since its release, Valve have also provided a level editor as a free download so that you can make your own levels and share them on the Steam Workshop to share with others. Portal 2 is also great for multiplayer as you and a friend can play the co-op campaign and this provides some great challenges as you need to work together to solve the puzzles and reach the exit. If you haven't picked up Portal 2 yet, get it. Get your friends to pick it up too so then you can play the co-op campaign as well! Expand
  100. Aug 31, 2013
    Wow, a great game. Although it wasn't quite like Portal, I still loved it. Portal was quite dark and sometimes creepy. But Portal 2 was mostly humorous, which wasn't bad either! Overall I would easily recommend this game to anyone!

1. Oct 20, 2011