8.8

1. Apr 25, 2011
    finished the single player the other day. loved it. had a great time. not as long as half life 1 or 2 but not horribly short considering i now have co-op to look forward to. even with just the single player this game was remarkable. story was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the voice acting. Steven Merchant was fun (watch "idiot abroad" btw, very funny). not every puzzle was a brain buster, but i did have to give up on a few and come back to them after a break before i finally figured them out. in the end this is a puzzle game for the masses, so if these arent hard enough for you wait a few months, the mods will be here soon. My biggest gripe is that i didn't realize until after i'd pre-ordered the game on steam, that the best value is the ps3 version. apparently if you buy for ps3, it installs steam, and then you have a cloud copy that can be played on ps3, pc or mac (you can save games across them-as well as play co-op with ppl on other platforms-not xbox though apparently). I don't know that i'll ever want to play on ps3, but i wouldn't have minded the option. maybe if i had someone over that wanted to play split screen. that kind of thing works better on a couch. but in the end i probably would've bought through steam anyway just to show valve in dollars that the pc gamers are still here.

I could care less about the hats. if people will pay for em, go head and sell em valve. just make sure you put the money into Ep3 or HL3 (whichever comes first, preferably sooner rather than later). now if LEVELS were available as DLC on day one, THAT would be something to complain about. And the haters are arguing themselves out of an argument. you cant hate the hats, and then complain that you have to pay for them. just don't buy them, you don't like them anyway! As for the graphical complaints, i agree its not the most impressive glossy finish ever, but it still looks great. I personally am still very much in love with the Source look. I don't know how much further they've technically pushed source past L4D2 but regardless the game world looks really good.

Bottom line, i really enjoyed the single player game, and i'm looking forward to enjoying the co-op starting tonight.

But i would like to say to those who are putting mountains of bad reviews out on recent pc games (or ports). I know you're frustrated (as am I) at the disrespect being paid to the pc gaming community by developers. but now it seems that the anger is blinding and no matter what a game looks like when it comes out, its getting inundated with mountains of "0" reviews for a game that even in the reviewers own description has redeeming qualities. If we are going to tell the developers that no matter what they do, we as a community will see their work as an appalling failure with absolutely no value, what is to keep them trying to satisfy us. All i ask is that we be honest with our criticism (and our praise). and hopefully we can continue to be a cohesive community that they continue to market to in a way that makes us happy. They already have less reason to continue to make great games for us because there's such a huge pool of console gamers that are easier to please. we shouldn't negate what little reason they have to work with us by failing to reward them for good work.

On that note, i wanted to give this game a 10, but since i know i have a chronic case of valve fanboi-itis i figured i should tone down my score to compensate for any possible misperception on my part. Plus i dont like to give 10's. In this I'm an optimist ever hoping for an even better game someday. And i wont give that game a 10 either (unless i see a mountain of unfair zeros that i want to counteract).
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    If anyone tries to tell you Portal 2 isn't a good game, stop them right there, run to your nearest game store, and buy it right away. It's absolutely fantastic. The original 2007 title was amazing, but this is just so much better, with so many new additions and a much larger scale. It's also a lot tougher than the previous game, so be prepared for a brain-twisting challenge. One of the best games of 2011 thus far... It's official, Valve officially knows how to make a good game. The proved it with Half-Life, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and now with a sequel to Portal, so it's safe to say we can all trust them to being a great developer. Expand
  3. Apr 26, 2011
    The game is not flawless, but it is perfect. If you don't want to buy at $49.99 that's understandable, but make sure you do buy it eventually. It is a must play game.
  4. Jan 27, 2013
    An incredible puzzle game with a hilarious and entertaining story. I was riveted the entire time I played, and while a bit short, it was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had while playing a videogame. It looks great, but more importantly has engaging puzzles and humor that will make this game playable for many years even after it looks like garbage compared to the games of the future.

If you enjoy solving puzzles to any degree then this game is for you. If you were thinking this was an action based shooter simply from looking at a screenshot or two then you might be a sad panda.
  5. Apr 30, 2011
    Excellent game which will keep you interested right until the end. The new resources available to you add to the already innovative first game as do the new characters (Steven Merchant is superb) - If you don't laugh your head off at some of the comments Crippen wasn't guilty.
    I have two complaints. Some of the puzzles could have been made more difficult (only two gave me any trouble at
    all) and the game is short. OK it's not that short by today's standards but add to this that the game has almost no replayabilty value and you have a few hours entertainment for £30. Valve could have easily got an extra mark from me by putting in the challenges from the first game (least portals, steps etc) - why they didn't is a mystery (DLC maybe). This would have extended the playtime significantly.

If you like puzzles, a decent story and some excellent humour all rolled into one this is a must play. Just depends how much you want to pay for it.
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only problem with this game is it lacks the surprise element of the first game. Everything else is better: better gameplay with new elements like blue jelly and solid light, better graphics, awesome voice acting and nice script, interesting story, good puzzles, not too difficult though. Plus now there's a co-operative campaign to play with your friends online. Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic follow up to an already amazing game. Portal 2 ranks up there with Bioshock 1 and Deus Ex in terms of timelessness. Though the single player isn't the longest ever, the multilayer is an all new campaign that extends the story. Overall the game is just fine lengthwise, and every second is of amazing quality. No complaints at all.
  8. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is awesome. Good graphics, good history, good controls, good coop, good maps, good custom maps.... I already playing custom coop maps. Games with mod-tools are the best ever!!!
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    Good game, but expected not to have the awesomeness that the first has, since its hard for sequels to do so. Really love it.

Also to those who think its bad because of day 1 dlc, they are retarded.
  10. Apr 21, 2011
    This game had me laughing from start to finish. The puzzles were well conceived, the writing was brilliant, and the story kept me wanting more. It was reasonably priced, and the co-op adds a nice element to puzzle solving while trying to do it with a friend. There are some obvious trolls in the negative reviews complaining about the "cash shop". The fact of the matter is that it has absolutely no bearing on the game play whatsoever and is completely optional. I still cannot think of a good reason why allowing people to further add to a game that they purchased is a bad thing.... Expand
  11. Apr 27, 2011
    Nice game. But not a game which should get a clear 10 out of 10. This score is for legendary groundbraking historical games defining gaming like Half Life 2, WoW (deal with it, it was groundbraking and changed the history of gaming), maybe Baldurs gate 2, Ocarina of Time and so on... I dont see this Influence and general feeling here, so its an 8 for a "normal" perfect game.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    PC gamers are such cry babies. This game is awesomeness. You don't need any of that DLC anyway, it's just cosmetic crap for your co-op bot. The game is what it is. If you liked Portal you will love this.
  13. Apr 21, 2011
    INTRODUCTION
    Portal 2 is a very good game which is in most ways better than its predecessor (Portal 1). Many people are complaining about the size of the game but i was playing from 9:00-4:00 (8 Hours) and i am just about near the end (i think).
    SINGLEPLAYER
    The Singleplayer portion of Valve's Portal 2 is reputable and is not as bad as some people think it is.
    The only bad thing is the
    propulsion, repulsion and convulsion gels are added in toooo late in the game and should have been added in earlier to make for longer gameplay. Other than that the story is very gratifying with good music and excellent voice acting from Cave Jhonson (J.K Simmons), Wheatley(Stephen Merchant) and GlaDos (Ellen Mclain). There are some good twists and turns and the art design and levels detail is admirable.
    The single player has about 8-9 chapters and is approximately 8 hours long.
    CO-OP
    I Played some of the coop yesterday online with someone i didnt know and it was fun. You quickly can get familiar with the controls of the ping tool and gesture tool.
    The character design is awesome with funny gestures like knocking the other players head off with your hand.
    The levels are a lot more complicated and have to be completed with a partner so it is actually coop unlike other games where you could just go it alone.
    There are some good features like the ping tool that lets you communicate without a mic e.g. go through that portal, place a portal there etc etc.
    The coop is excellent and is good with just anyone but brilliant with a friend.
    LOW SCORES
    Lots of people are giving portal 2 low ratings because they didnt understand and they were just bothered about all the money they spent on the stupid potato sack pack well you shouldnt have got it then it was gonna come out soon anyway NOOBS!!!!!
    There are also a lot of people complaining about DAY 1 DLC WTH There is no Day 1 dlc There is that robot enrichment thing which who cares you dont need to buy things to get stuff you can earn things in game. NOOBS!!!!
    And last of all Portal 2 may be a console port but who cares the graphics are admirable and the level design is amazing so who cares if it is a console port if it is nearly perfect NOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CONCLUSION
    Portal 2 is a hell of a game which is nearly perfect and could be one of the best puzzle games of all time.
    So to all you NOOBS who are complaining just dont buy the game if you hate it so much.!!!
  14. Apr 24, 2011
    One game you should not miss. Genuinely funny and intelligent Portal 2 is the kind of game that makes me remember why i started gaming in the first place. Unlike its predecessor the game shines through story and character design. Not to say that Portal was bad in those categories. It's just that Portal 2 has so many "WOW" moments, so many vistas that show the immensity of Aperture Science, it just makes you feel small and insignificant. Like a rat rat in maze. I have never felt this way by playing a game before. Buy it. It is the a game for the ages. Expand
  15. May 28, 2011
    Portal 2 is overrated. All these 100s and 10s are completely undeserved. Portal 2 is very good, sure. But it's flaws make what the game wanted to be disappear. For example, through most of the game, it's more of a hide-and-seek puzzle, for when you're looking for the white walls you can shoot portals on. And a LOT of the game is like this.

Wheatley and GlaDOS are funny, but talk way too
    much. GlaDOS also has a change of character from the original portal, going from sarcasm/passive-aggressive to more of a blunt way of talking. And not many quotes are quotable that were made by GlaDOS.

Still, this is an amazing game. I've laughed countless times, had fun solving puzzles, and more. The ending was by far the best ending I've ever seen in a video game.
  16. Apr 20, 2011
    Man, I can't help but feel a little cheated from all that day 1 DLC... The game was pretty fun, and the single player campaign took me 4 hours and 21 minutes to beat. I haven't done co-op yet, so that might add a few more hours, but I still feel like the 40$ price tag isn't entirely justified for what I'm just assuming will fall into the 8-12 hour long range.
    But, there's a reason I
    haven't done co-op yet. Portal 2 has no easy to use LAN, and my ISP illegally blocks all peer to peer connections. Due to that, I literally cannot play co-op. If only it had LAN...
    Another problem was that whole potato thing, where we had to buy and play a bunch of games just to release the game like 12 hours early. The console version of the game was available for illegal download like, a week and a half before the PC version was released "early".
    All and all, I feel like Portal 2 is worth playing, but perhaps you should wait until it goes on sale for at least 50% off.
  17. Apr 22, 2011
    This game reminds me what videogames should be about: fun, phantasy and fun. Oh did i mention fun already?

An absolutely blast and I did not even try the coop mode! 2011 seems to be a great year for gamers, but every other game coming out this year has a real high bar to jump over!
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    Co-op is awesome. Solo campaign is more fun than anything Call of Duty has done since 4. Don't listen to the haters, extra cosmetic DLC does NOT make a game bad. If you loved Portal 1, you'll love this.
  19. Apr 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is not the best game I've played in the last few years. And there are a number of small issues that I have with it. I'm not a huge fan of the ARG experience that led into it. However, a lot of the work went into this game really succeeded. Solid atmosphere. Great moments. Challenging at times. I have no regrets picking it up. Expand
  20. Apr 21, 2011
    It is finally the best game of the year - if we put all aspects of gameplay, etc. together. And maybe best game from Valve, my favourite developer. I give him 10 of 10. i am not interested in "Mann Co. store" in TF2, except community map creators stamp support - this is great way to say :"Hello, we are here and we very much appreciate your work". So if you dont want this, stuff dont buy it. It is a great way to financing future free DLCs or maybe another map creators like in TF2. I hope we get SDK soon and some cosmetic tweaks in menu would be great. Hint disabling, portal ghosting etc. After few updates will be perfect in all ways. Expand
  21. Apr 3, 2012
    Good, but not great. Voice acting great. Puzzles too easy. Next to zero replayability. Some good additions from the first game. Where are the steps/portals/time challenges? Only good value for money if you can get it cheaply. Very funny in parts.
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    There is a reason metacritic should stop putting out user reviews.. there seems to be a trend for generally moronic low scores by trolls pushing a games score down from what should easily be a high score to a low score.. sort it out. Portal 2 is a classic. ok one player is a bit short but find a mate and co op is a blast. OH no i was charged full price for this game.. really.. u think. get a job and stop whining! 26 quid for something as fun. hell i bet u lot bang twice that much cash up your nose of a weekend to get so damn twitchy about stuff as u apperently are. Anyway consider this the last user review on meta i read.. bunch of tossers Expand
  23. Jun 17, 2011
    If there is such thing as a perfect sequel, this is it. Truly unbelievable. That's all you need to know. I had to add more to fir the 150 character limit, so I'll just quote GLaDOS. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    I'm writing this review purely to offset the uncalled for bashing against this game.
    Not to spoil the experience for those enjoying the game right now, let me tell you, you won't be disappointed. It's a shame to see people getting so upset over an optional DLC which adds little other than non-essential cosmetic changes. These reviews are exaggerated to say the least! If you enjoyed Portal
    1 then you will most definitely enjoy Portal 2. Expand
  25. May 17, 2011
    I have to say i was going to be one of those "not worth the money... only 6hours of game play!" types then i was i finally got another to do CoOp If you feel like you have only got half the playtime you are expecting and have not done all of CoOp well to be honest that is only because you played half the game. BUT WAIT I FORGETTING HIDEOUS DLC THAT GIVE UNFAIR ADG... oh what is that it doe not give an advantages? When why are people complaining? They want it but do not want to buy it? Tell that to Porsche I would love one of their cars for free... they say no? How about a free hamburger Wendy's... sonic perhaps? Whataburger? oh to bad. Guess you have to pay for things that cost money... who knew. Expand
  26. Jun 1, 2011
    I honestly don't know what else you could ask of this game. It's fun, smooth, and polished. The single player campaign is affecting, and the co-op campaign is both fun and challenging without being frustrating. Some harder maps would be welcome, but that's just a bid to extend the experience; I don't think they're necessary. I felt that it would be impossible to equal the original Portal's greatness, but Valve has managed it. Expand
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    Thought it was fun. Co-Op was really fun too. Haven't beat the game yet but really enjoying the game so far. :D

Only problem really was the "robot enrichment"... hats ruined TF2, hope hats don't ruin portal 2 :)
  28. Apr 22, 2011
    I loved every second of this game, from start till end it was just an amazing experience, including the most epic ending ive ever seen in my very long gaming life. Portal 2 is simply a masterpiece, game that will most likely be a good candidate for this years Game of the Year.
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    Anybody saying this is a bad game has clearly not played it
    It's by far the best game valve has ever made (with the exception of HL²) And what's with everybody raging about DLC? IT'S COMPLETELY OPTIONAL AND YOU CAN UNLOCK IT FOR FREE JUST BY PLAYING THE GAME!

Also, all negative reviews are trolls from /v/ http://i.imgur.com/6lohn.jpg
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game. Ignore all the retarded 0./10 reviews.

Very funny and very polished. Highly recommended. Loved it.

Its about 8 hours long not 4 hours.
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    These winging comments about the coop costumes and length are idiotic, I can't believe how stupid some of these reviews are. Portal 2 is an amazing game, just want episode 3 now valve!
  32. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is excellent indeed, if you enjoyed the first Portal then you must enjoy this sequel, it has more thinking with portals and more features than ever before. However I took away a mark for this game, as I finished it without rushing in approximately 2 hours and 34 minutes playing time, this does not include the co-op part of the game or any possible advanced chambers, just the singleplayer. The co-op feature is excellent and will also take you several more hours of gameplay and fun. The graphics are beautiful, no need for them to be improved as they do the best job possible and the game performs perfectly on the PC thanks to the great source engine.

This is a must buy for most gamers out there.
  33. Apr 19, 2011
    Without a doubt, one of the best games of the year so far. I loved "time traveling" through Aperture History and the new characters Valve put into this creative addition to the Portal universe.

Oh, and just in case there's any confusion, DLC is completely OPTIONAL. If you don't want to buy it, don't! Pretend it's not even there and you won't have to throw a hissy fit about it.
  34. Apr 22, 2011
    This game was fantastic. Don't listen to the whiners who expect the impossible out of a game. I agree with the Kotaku article--gamers are simply developing expectations that are unrealistically high. This game was incredibly fun, engaging, the co-op is perfect, I haven't seen one bug, and the story is engaging. What more do you want? The game is too quick, but it's not as good as Portal 1? This game is three times as long, and with co-op puzzles that aren't anywhere in the single player game. Grow. UP. Expand
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    I really think the story is Valve's best yet. I am really enjoying the singleplayer so far and haven't touched the Co-op yet. The humor, the puzzles, and the quality have all been severely increased.
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    To all you hater Nerds, its a great game, go troll **** This game never pretended to be anything other than a 'short niche puzzle game' thats what Portal is! As for console port? go **** about that if the gameplay is impeded not because theres some left over strings.
  37. Apr 21, 2011
    Loving every second. Aperture labs has been recreated wonderfully, the character and stories surrounding the place have been incredibly well fleshed out and I'm still finding myself wandering around feeling really clever when i complete challenges or tasks in a way that I think is novel or smart but actually turns out to be what I was meant to do all along.
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    GAME OF THE YEAR... so far anywayz. I dont know what all the hate is about seriously get over it. This game is an absolute masterpiece, one of the first games make me laugh so much that i had to pause the game, perfect gameplay and sharp story well done valve, wel done sir!!!
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply Valve's best game ever with brilliant humor and intelligent awesome gameplay. Thanks Valve for making me happy with this secound part of Portal. Even the Coop is awesome which I first had some doubts. I will go playing now...
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    So, I haven't finished the game yet, but I've played a good 2 hours worth and I must say that this game has met all of my expectations so far. Did I mention I've played for 2 hours and still not done? Instead of the 30-60 minutes Portal 1 offered? Valve definitely put a good amount of time into this game. Graphics are just as good as the ones seen on youtube in HD and most, if not all, of the glitches have been taken out of the game. Overall, (so far), Awesome game, definitely worth your money. If your not convinced, go watch all those demo vids on youtube that Valve probably stopped deleting. Expand
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    There is absolutely no negative part of this game. The singleplayer is chalked full of dry slapstick sarcasm thanks to the wonderful characters Wheatley, and Glados. Valve has once again shattered my expectations on the floor and poured hot delicious chocolate sauce all over it. I was suprised to see so many negative reviews on Metacrtic, It would be best not even to read them
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    What is with all the Trolls and haters? Finished the game in 4 hours? Did you cheat? Are you just lying? Why are there so many (or so few, but with lots of accounts and too much free time) people with apparent vendettas against Valve? The "DLC" that these whiners are crying about in no way affects game play. They are hats and little dances for Co-Op mode. If you don't want them, don't buy them. It almost seems like they were put in as a joke anyway. Did these crybabies even try the Co-Op mode? As for the game engine, if they would trade in their 15" CRT monitors for something a little bigger and newer, they could see the game with a better resolution. Also, while you're at it, plop down another $50 to get a decent budget video card so you can play at something above minimum. And finally, as for a console port: Clearly, these trolls have not ever played an actual console port, such as Borderlands.

Overall, i think Valve has outdone themselves once again. Yes, there has been some hype, but not enough to warrant this kind of "backlash".
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    Cynical humour, challenging mazes, good graphics, new content, co-op ability. Runs good on an older high end machine (unlike the C.O.D. crap...). This beats the original in every way. Definitely a 9 out of 10.
  44. Apr 21, 2011
    very unimpressed so far. paid way too much for just a short game, expected more game time for such a high price. The cash shop (day 1 DLC) pretty much sealed the deal for me. Big letdown from Valve.
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    the people saying its only 2-5 hrs long have obv not played the game...the game is about 12 hrs single player and 10 hrs co op, so they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. This is easily valves best game so far and it deserves a 9 and above....from the hilariously well written dialogue, to the awesome puzzles only console gamers cant figure out, to cross platform between the ps3 and pc, this game is marvelous. The people complaining about the potato sack sale are complete retards. you weren't forced to buy anything and the game was not delayed in any matter. So for you to be complaining for a company to do marketing, then you have some serious issues. Also, if you actually did the potato sack buy, you were rewarded, with a golden potato and the complete vale collection including PORTAL 2, so seriously, go whine somewhere else. Valve did this to support indie developers and its a shame to see the pc gaming community behave like Microsoft in this regard and not help out with what valve did. Its a sad day in pc gaming. I, however, will continue to support Valve in every single game. They have not disappointed me ever. Expand
  46. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply the best Valve game ever. It took the brilliance and innovation of Portal and formed it into an actual full fledged title.

Proof that Valve still dominates PC gaming and knows how to bring the public high quality titles.
  47. Apr 21, 2011
    Everything in Portal 2 is awesome. Gameplay is even better than in the original, graphics are better.... There is always something going on in maps, so many small details. Anyone who gave this red score is a troll or hater or insane or something.
  48. Apr 19, 2011
    I noticed something reading the reviews: almost every negative review (or negative portion of a review) was just typical PC gamers being whiny and entitled, and almost none of them talk about the game itself. I don't know about you but when I am getting a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time, I don't want too much change. If it aint broke, don't fix it, especially when it can be easily ruined... Otherwise this game was AMAZING and if you don't buy it you have no soul. Expand
  49. Apr 26, 2011
    The single player game is 10 hours of pure joy. The best writing in gaming, great puzzles and lots of laughs. The only complaint I have is that you have to increase the mouse sensitivity a bit for the controls to be perfect. Source engine screams: I'm running on Mac Mini late 2010 (Win 7 via Bootcamp) with a 320M and 4GB of memory with all the bells and whistles turned on - never dropped a frame. Expand
  50. Apr 22, 2011
    Just finished the game and... wow, just.. wow ! It's funny, it"s engaging, sometimes makes you think real hard, but then, when you are getting frustrated it almost instantly cheers you up with a hilarious joke. Both the old and new mechanics work really great and even for new players who missed (If you did, it's a crime you should be in jail.. or at least testing with GLaDOS.). The graphics and music are great, and the voice acting is awesome, Ellen McLain and Stephen Merchant did a great job. 10/10 without question! Expand
  51. Apr 23, 2011
    Okay the short version, Portal 2 is a masterpiece. Buy it. Go on, do it now. For those of you who like to read, here's the detailed version. Portal 2 is the funniest game I've ever played. You need to play this just for the comedy value. Remember those amusing Cave Johnson trailers? Its like that throughout the entire game. The writing and voice acting are amazing, and this combines to allow the various robots in Portal 2 to show far more personality and emotion, than Human characters in a lot of other games by other developers. The level design is creative and the puzzles are intelligent, and best of all, the game doesn't grab you by the ear and drag you to the objectives. Instead, the player is given space to work out the solutions for themselves. There are clues, but they are subtly built into the surrounding area. If you're ever stuck, just look around, and you'll figure it out. Like the first game, the player is taught new tricks slowly, before getting a chance to use what they learned in more complex situations. I personally value gameplay over graphics, but if graphics are your thing, Portal 2 is gorgeous to look at. I've read some people saying the single player is 4 hours long. This is completely wrong, it took me 8 hours, and I don't see how anyone could get through it in under 6 even knowing all the solutions straight away. There is also a coop mode which I haven't tried yet, but which should add a bit of extra replayability. The only bad thing I can mention is the inclusion of the Mann Co â Expand
  52. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 was a worthy successor to the first portal. It was longer than the first but maintained the quality and humor of the original. The new puzzle pieces were interesting and fit in with the game. My only qualm is the lack of advanced chambers, but Coop, which is also a blast, makes up for that.
  53. Apr 30, 2011
    This game proves one thing and one thing only: You don't need blood, violence, and language to make a great game. Portal 2 is probably the game of the year SO FAR. The characters are likable, the story is funny, and it's not stop fun. If you never played Portal 1, then you should so yo can understand the mechanics and the story of the game, but it'll take you an afternoon to complete the first one. The Co-op is amazing. Valve proved me once again that they are the best game developers on planet earth. Valve, since you got Portal 2 out of your hands, it's about time to make Half-Life 2: Episode 3! Expand
  54. Apr 22, 2011
    I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews and it's making me very sad. This is a beautiful game, it is an excellent game. It exceeded my expectations. I see the most common complaints are the â
  55. Apr 19, 2011
    I thought it was OK. I didn't play the original Portal until 2009 and I loved every minute of it. Portal 2 seems unfinished - or a rushed game to apease the fan base. (This is a PC review - all settings on max 1080p)

What's cool: GLaDOS. She's mean, she wants revenge, she doesn't really like you..at all. I liked this. Although the narrative was weak you still felt sort of involved. It's
    also funny - she calls you fat.. a lot.

The Puzzles. Smart and pretty innovated - this is what the game is about. Challenging but not rocket science/CERN type challenging. Very polished.

Music. I didn't notice the music in the first game at all but in Portal 2 it's great and well executed.

What's not so cool:

LOADING SCREENS!! Ahh!! It's 2011 and I guess the Source Engine hasn't been updated since Half-Life 2. The loading screens take you out of the action, out of the moment. This also limits GLaDOS' narrative as she is limited to a 4-6 second sentence as you walk from the gate to the elevator. There is A LOT of loading screens, a lot. Did I mention there's a lot of loading screens? Bad Valve.

Graphics. The trailer/commercials show the two robots looking awesome and detailed and the foliage/environment is so awesome and creative...and they are..just don't walk up to them. The textures (up close) resemble graphics from 2004 (**I'll note this seems to be the norm in games these days, Crysis 2 has the same problem, what gives?!). Next time you're in the elevator look at the little sticker. You'll know what I mean. Value. As much fun this game is, it's not worth the MSPR price of $59.99. I do understand that the price is probably for PS3 and XBOX but I feel bad for you guys. I got the game for $44 with the pre order. Is it worth that much? Not really. Maybe $19-$29. Heres why. You don't get a lot of bang for your buck. It's a short but fun game. After the co-op, theres little incentive to keep playing. No online multiplayer sucks. Think of what they could have done. A $60 game without multiplayer seems a bit steep (I do understand a lot people don't care for it, but still -whats there to do after single player?)

DLC. I don't buy DLC, I don't think I'll ever buy DLC. Why on earth would I pay $14 for 30mins of extra play, Insane. I realize theres a lot of DLC available after launch and I get that. Valve SELLS games and DLC. Was it professional to release DLC right after the game? I wouldn't. DLC after launch is like saying "Yeah, we could have included this in the final version but...we didn't. We want more money. It's not about the gamer it's about earnings." The old Valve wasn't like that. But then again, most companies adhere to this strategy, sadly.

So all in all, I give it a 5/10. It's fun, short and theres little replay value. Hence it's not worth $49-$59. I'm sure there will be a sale sooner or later. Id wait for that.
  56. May 4, 2011
    Brilliant game, Valve once again have shown why they are such a game-making powerhouse. The game is based on an already tested idea in half-life series and first portal, with only necessary tweaks done to vary the gameplay. So, basically we have the more the same but better. The strongest point of Portal two is definitely its narration and story presented. GLADOS and Whetley banter, hilarious black-humorous Announcer, an addition of retro Cave Jonhson character...here lies the true power of Valve, because playing is well...as said before, Portal with tweaks. In reality, the only low points of the game and the reason why some of hot headed reviewers gave game bad reviews, are not-so-long playing time. Nothing of big concern, the story is quite long, wraps itself nice and you feel only a little regret that it is over, but not, for example, an anger that you played while eating dinner and it was suddenly over. The second lowdown are simple ,as for part two of already developed idea, puzzles. On a commentary track authors actually admitted that it was intentional not make game too hard. With the first game, it wouldn't be a problem, but with a second release, there must be expectations to have some more sophisticated challenges. Saying as saying, those two arenâ Expand
  57. Aug 25, 2011
    Best game I've played yet. If someone asked me what was my favourite movie I'd almost say Portal 2, just because it's a movie-like experience with many details everywhere. The game is short but extremely detailed in it's lenght.
  58. Apr 21, 2011
    The BEST ending I've ever experienced in a video game. Great character development, and though the story lagged a little in the middle, I still loved it _to death_. About the 0 scores: haters gonna hate. DLC is completely cosmetic, it's not like it improves your experience at all. And it's not a 4-hour campaign, I finished it in 9.5 hours. Open Steam now and click 'Buy' if you haven't already. There's a good chance you won't regret it. ;-) Expand
  59. May 15, 2011
    Graphics are OK. The game can be easily maxed out with a mid-range GPU. Dialogues are excellent, guaranteed to crack you up. Sound effects are very crisp and fits well within the environment. Never saw any game breaker bugs or whatsoever. A game that requires me to use my brain? Oh yes, it deserves nothing less than a 10/10.
  60. May 11, 2011
    If it was an option then this game would easily be getting a 9.5, because it is a brilliant mix of comedy, and ingenuity. The beginning is yourr first taste of what to come, and it starts off on a high note and gets you laughing at the comedy that has made many fans of this game series. But when you reach the puzzles is whenthe game really shows of its capabilities as a puzzle game. The puzzles are interesting, but never beyond your ability, and they truly do help you start "thinking with portals." Sadly, however, puzzles and comedy are not the only parts to this game. As you progress you see longer transitions between puzzles that try to be puzzles themselves but are really just a test of your observational abilities as you search for a far off wall that allows for portals. Another point is that after every puzzle there is a loading screen. This made sense for portal 1 because it was forced beside 4 other games in the orange box, but portal 2makes these loadings seem unexplainable. Luckly, the loads are in a spot that seem natural and do not affect gameplay. This review was only for singleplayer. Multiplayer looks to be more of the same but you are more limited trying to find a friend who has not played it before you lest you lose the ability to figure out the puzzles yourself, but I am satisfied with the single experience alone, so it is worth reviewing alone, though I cannot wait to try coop puzzles. Expand
  61. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is just perfect. One of the best games I've played in my life. Humour, Action, and hard stuff, everything you expect from the sequel of one of the most original platform games of this decade. Don't need to wait for a demo or anything, this game is so awesome. It's a buy!
  62. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore all the trolls giving this game any score other than the 10 it deserves. Does not feel like a port - This is one of the best looking games ever released. Easily the most interactive environment to date.

4 hours of game play is a LIE - Between the main campaign, the co-op, and the ridiculously high replay value, there is plenty of quantity as well as quality game play here. This is
    how DLC should be done. If there was a vote on DLC being strictly cosmetic and all actual game content being included at launch, I'd vote in the affirmative right away. Expand
  63. Apr 22, 2011
    1) If you liked Portal, you will LOVE portal 2

2) Story: there is one! characters are great and hilarious and there are some golden moments but it's not exactly a driving force in the game and leaves a few questions unanswered

3) graphics: Any computer with a graphics card can run it which is nice but it definitely lacks a hardcore graphical punch. Everywhere looks the same and uses the
    same recycled colors

4) Humor: it's not only golden but it's omnipresent. Cave Johnson's lemon speech is absolutely unforgettable

5) length: My friend and I both took about 15 hours total to beat both the singleplayer and co op campaigns. To those who beat it in 4 hours, you didn't have any fun because you used a guide book to beat a game who's only satisfaction is solving the damn puzzles and if you looped all the audio in the character's jokes in the game together it would probably run longer than 4 hours so good job not having any fun and **** about it as if you'll get your money back

6) Game: puzzle complexity is far greater and far more satisfying to solve with addition of so many extra mechanics, but because the game introduces them all to you before beating your brain to a pulp with them, it's slow starting.

7) replayability? lol. none

What makes Portal 2 worth? 15 hours worth of cracked ribs as a result of laughter and some of the best puzzle solving experience you'll get in digital form. Just make sure you have a co op buddy and a mic before playing this game, playing co op with a stranger or someone whose already beaten will kill the satisfaction from puzzle solving and not having a mic just leads to frustration. If you have all this and a yearn for puzzle solving and good humor, Portal 2 is for you. The only thing it lacks is replayability.
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve has done it again. Portal 2 exceeds on every single level that the first did. The puzzles are more intricate. The story is more enticing. All of the gels add a lot more to the gameplay as well. The voice acting is great (J.K. Simmons is amazing as Cave Johnson). Portal 2 is what every gamer expects from a sequel. The same gameplay mechanics, with a new and better story. A true masterpiece. Now, let's get working on Half-Life 2: Ep. 3 / Half-Life 3. Expand
  65. Apr 19, 2011
    Incredibly well written game, a true comedy/drama finally brought to a video game. Some of Valves best work yet. A lot of complaint has been said of the DLC store and the ARG leading up to the release, but is irrelevant to the quality of the single player and coop game.
  66. May 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's could, hell it could be even great! If it wasn't just so easy... I ripped through the single player and even managed to destroy the co-op with a friend in 2 sittings (1 for single player, 1 for co-op). I don't think I'm incredibly smart or something but it just seemed like the answers to all the puzzles were spelled out for you. Where as in Portal 1 they would require more experimentation and...hell science! The promise of additional levels, challenge modes, and the level editor (for what I assume will be devious designs from the community) help to keep the hope alive for me that the game can still come back and show it's teeth and actually be a challenge. The potential for amazing ooze puzzles is there but it almost feels like they were afraid to make anything too complicated because they didn't want the "average" person to get stuck and to be able to make it to the end.

As for the single player itself, it was still incredibly enjoyable. Asides from the aforementioned difficulty issues the humour is still great and has more awesome moments then I care to count. Wheatly and Cave Johnson add a much needed breath of fresh air, since I feel if we had another whole game with just Glados she would start to get stale. They also did a great job of exploring the roots and history of the game without necessarily having to go back and create a prequel. Plus the ooze! The ooze is an amazing additional to the portal gameplay and allows for more interesting possibilities with momentum, if they were more apt to take advantage of them.

I was originally going to give the game a solid 7 since it was good and I enjoyed it but the promising return of difficulty to the game (from Valve's DLC update or through community driven levels) made me up it to an 8 instead.
  67. Feb 16, 2012
    Portal 2 get's everything that made portal incredible, and builds upon it. Characters, the puzzles themselves, length, depth, and even originality of design. A lot of other game series do this successfully as well, however when a game based off an entirely original concept does it. It deserves even more praise. Masterpiece.
  68. Apr 23, 2011
    I don't usually bother writing reviews, but I had to write this to counter all those baseless low scores. Notice that most scores after release day or 9 or 10s? This has got to be the best game Valve has put out so far, even if it's short. People complain because Valve made it out to be the best thing since sliced bread, well guess what? Every developer over-hypes their game, it's how you sell. Obviously if you don't enjoy puzzles or Portal 1 you won't like this, that's like hating FPS games and expecting to like Halo of CoD.

If you liked Portal this offers more of the same, with the edition of a story, new areas, improved graphics, and much longer gameplay. It also introduces some new features that make the puzzles more interesting. It's not perfect, despite what Valve and their fanboys make it out to be, but considering it's as long as most FPS games that people pay full price for, it's well worth what Valve asks for (and you can often find it for less).
  69. Apr 23, 2011
    Not going to lie, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Like puzzles? Portal 2 has got you. Awesome story? check. The game retains most of the magic of it's predecessor, and makes it even better. GoTY all the way.
  70. Apr 20, 2011
    If I could give a 9.5 I would. Portal 2 is a perfect blend of awesome story telling and puzzles without bombarding you with walls of text or codexes that you're expected to read and without making any puzzle too difficult. In many situations you feel like you cheat the system and find a way to complete a section that wasn't exactly the expected way the developers foresaw which in it of itself is a great feeling. A fantastic ride the whole way though. The only nitpick I have is that it was too short! Expand
  71. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic game. 472/177 give it a positive review. On this site, that's like gold. If you haven't noticed, people often come here to troll. Ignore them, this game is everything portal was. The magic is here, and it feels like a real PC game. Smoothest PC gameplay in years, and looks great. GlaDOS is Just as funny as before, and you get to learn where her personality comes from. Fantastic story. Wish it was a little longer, but that's hard to ask for without waiting a few more years as it takes quite a while to design and test such a game. If you really do expect a longer puzzle based game, that is as GOOD as this one, your $h17 out of luck. Expand
  72. Apr 19, 2011
    This was quite an enjoyable game to play. I started playing around 1:00 PM and finished around 8:00 PM...so that gives you an idea of how long it takes (more or less). I think I spent an average amount of time observing the scenery, which is occasionally quite beautiful and stunning; incidentally this is one of the things I'm really happy about, looking at some of the massive structures in the game. Its reminiscent of the view you get near the end of the first game, which blew me away. The *very* end is also quite beautiful, in its own unique way, which I won't spoil here :). And leading up to the end, the final puzzle is quite possibly one of the most creative and satisfying ways to finish a game that I have witnessed yet.

One slight downside is that the puzzles were a bit too easy. There were maybe two to three puzzles where I had to stop and think for 5-10 minutes or so. Watching some of the teaser videos on youtube I expected to see some more challenging puzzles, but in the end the solutions were fairly intuitive. It would be nice if they added in some expert levels at the end as an option, like in the original portal where you could play some bonus levels.

Come to think of it, this could probably be explained by the fact that its being sold on consoles as well as PCs. When you're forced to solve puzzles with a tiny analog stick, and you're marketing it to children or casual gamers (the primary market for console gamers), I guess the puzzles have to be dumbed down and simplified a little. Its a shame, but at least the game still had a great narrative and (nevertheless) entertaining puzzles to keep you interested.

I loved the story, the characters were still interesting. Although used to hearing GlaDOS from the first game, its still fun to hear her interacting with the other characters. Overall a solid 8/10. Its a little troubling that consoles are really degrading what could have been a higher quality game (i.e. more challenging for hardcore gamers with better controls)...but I suppose I'll have to get used to it.

I'd recommend purchasing it for anyone who is new to these games; if you've never played portal, buy both of these games together. The package is something I highly recommend (the original portal I would probably give a 9.5/10). The game on its own is still worth it; and I like that they put in some achievements to increase the replay value.

Also as a final note; some people may be complaining about the downloadable content (the shop where you can purchase little outfits/gestures for your characters to use in co-op play). The key factor is that its optional, and is really unnecessary if you want to enjoy co-op. The characters you use are easily distinguishable anyways, so its really nothing to get angry about (its really one of the most insignificant things you could get riled up about).

Anyways happy gaming
  73. Apr 19, 2011
    what is included in portal 2 is brilliant. Trouble is, why has valve become so greedy for money? It is not fair what they are doing with the saga, what happend with good old Valve?
  74. Apr 22, 2011
    The game is great from pretty much every point of view, and compared to the 1st Portal it has a much better length, especially if we include the co-op mode as well. The only problem is that despite it being longer than the 1st Portal it still left me wanting more.

Hopefully that will be compensated with user maps and DLC. Mean wile 9/10.
  75. May 5, 2011
    Let me start of by saying whoever thinks that this game is difficult is a idiot. This game is unrealistic and the graphics are garbage.The game is extremely boring. Great job Valve!
  76. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 very simply tops the original in almost every single way with the only thing letting it down being the reduced novelty of the basic portal mechanic. It is incredibly well written, excellently voiced characters with genuinely designed levels and all wrapped up in a package of non-conformism compared to the usual AAA video games.

Ultimately Portal 2 is just a pure piece of
    entertainment from start to finish and if it does not get Game of the Year then there simply is no justice in the industry. No game in the past three years comes close to what Portal 2 is and that is not just opinion, it is the truth of the matter.

Get this game on PC/Mac or PS3, only get the 360 version if you have no other choice since you get the most value from the other versions.

And for all those who badly rated Portal 2 on metacritic for asinine reasons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yytbDZrw1jc
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    OH NO DAY 1 DLC... oh wait, it's only cosmetics and I don't have to buy them to get the full gaming experience. That being said, Portal 2 is great. Not Portal 1 great, but still damn near perfect. My biggest issue is that Portal 1 worked so well because it was short. I was really scared Portal 2 would just simply be too long and lose its pacing. I'm glad it barely didn't. There's a lot of variation between levels and types of puzzles, and every chapter has its own little funny quirk. Recommended for people that aren't potato batteries. Expand
  78. Apr 19, 2011
    "Simply Said, this game deserves a 10 out of 10, and when I punch those numbers into my calculator it makes a Happy Face."

I am impressed with the work and care Valve has put into this game. This is extremely close to being the best Valve game of all. It took me 6.5-7 hours to play through the singleplayer game, and the whole time I was amazed with great storytelling, super gameplay and
    even superb graphics. This one blows Portal 1 away and then there's still Multiplayer to go through.

Portal 2 does feature DLC but just as TF2, it is seriously overpriced, but then again, who gives a crap about a stupid hat ?
  79. Apr 22, 2011
    When I saw the user reviews for this game, I was confused. What was all this "DLC" fuzz about? Paid DLC on PC? Valve would never, I say, never do such a thing. Cosmetic items for multiplayer yes, but DLC, no. So when I got home from vacation, I fired up Portal 2 yesterday and started playing. What a wonderful game. And certainly not a mediocre game that deserves less than 5/10. Anyone giving a score that low has no credibility and they are simply just butthurt or misinformed.

Anyways, the game is without a doubt fantastic. The controls are smooth, the graphics are gorgeous (The Source Engine still stands as one of the best graphics and physics engines on the market), the sound is glorious and the gameplay is simply amazing. The core gameplay from the first game has been kept, and the new puzzle features make a great addition. But even though the game looks sterile and very clean, it's definitely not for no-brainers. The puzzles get harder and harder, and there might come a point where you just decide to give up. I have certainly had moments like those. But the pacing is great, so the puzzles don't just start out easy and get hard immediately. It's a steady pace so everyone can come along.

And I have not even mentioned multiplayer yet.

The multiplayer is fantastic. With strangers, it's good. With friends, it's king! One of your mates (or a stranger), along with you take the roles of two robots that are sent through an unspeakable amount of test chambers and have to cooperate to get through them. Communicating is also easy, but it still has some hiccups here and there. Chat is available (press the T key on the PC) for those who wants to know.

That's all what I have to say about the game. See ya!
  80. Apr 24, 2011
    This one of the best games I've played in a very long time. Not only is it loads of fun, but it's interesting, funny and just a blast over all. I can't find one bad thing to say about this game other than it's very confusing at first but you get used to the entire portal system.
  81. Apr 19, 2011
    I cannot believe the user reviews I am seeing. Folks are mad because Valve sells hats? Or the potato pack? Seriously? Really?!?!?!? Nobody forced folks to purchase either. As far as the hats, they don't affect game play and are purely for aesthetics. Personally, I will never get one but to each their own. By far this is one of the most fresh, innovative and fun games I have played in ages, GlaDos is in rare form. The levels are fun and intriguing and the graphics are very good. Are they Crysis 1 or Warhead good? Nope. But then again neither was Crysis 2. However the graphics are still above most other games out at the moment. Plus unlike the slew of recent console ports, the Source Engine still runs extremely well on a host of computers.

Game play? Well that is top notch. The puzzles are fun and it is quite the time waster. Those saying the completed it in 4 to 7 hours were rushing through. There is tons written on the walls in side rooms you should take a look at. It all adds to the story, but if all you want to do is the puzzles you may get through in the times posted, but you are missing a lot.

Overall if you enjoyed the story line in Portal, Portal 2 is for you. As I said GlaDos is in rare form, and personally I am a bad human being. Test results don't lie. Also, don't forget to read the comics in the game as this explains how you got back there.
  82. May 7, 2011
    Portal 2 expands on the amazing foundations of Portal and creates a rich environment and story to parallel it's innovative gameplay. I enjoyed almost everything about this game. I only wish there were more game modes/maps to keep me playing. I hope they do DLC.
  83. Apr 19, 2011
    Um., Day 1 DLC? What the hell are you guys smoking? You talking about the shop? THAT DOESNT CHANGE GAMEPLAY (Unlike ACTIVISION with their 15 dollar mappacks), you have no right to complain about that, its in TF2, so why not portal 2?
  84. Apr 24, 2011
    Most of the things I love about this game have already been addressed in other user reviews.. I'll just say that this is probably the first game I've seen that can be funny, scary and mysterious at the same time. Also, the dynamic music engine is wonderful. Looking forward to post-release DLC chambers!
  85. Apr 23, 2011
    Fantastic. what a great game and excellent addition to the first Portal game. Would liked to have seen some more content, a bit longer solo play, and maybe co-op with an AI bot as a partner.
  86. Apr 22, 2011
    amazing game! what was a small time puzzle game is now an awesome single player campaign/adventure. in a world where countless developers are bringing us console port trash at least we have valve to look up to still.
  87. Apr 21, 2011
    Great fun, great humor and great graphic quality, even with the old engine. The ''fluids'' are something that I've never seen before, and the havock works perfectly. I think this is a masterpiece, something different from standard gameplay, but still intuitive and easy to understand. Go on with this kind of innovative games, valve!

Sorry for my bad English .
  88. Apr 24, 2011
    Great game that is well written and has a fantastic sense of humor. I havnt tried the multiplayer yet(still working on single player) but the game could well be game of the year(we will see about Skyrim).
  89. Apr 19, 2011
    Wonderful game with so much humor and intelligent puzzles. I played singleplayer campaign in about 6 hours, listening to all the dialogs and enjoying every bit of moment. Looking forward to coop!

And those id*** who claim about the "optional"! hats and stuff (which are meant to be dlc) doesn't count. The game is superb and probably one of the best games this year.
  90. Apr 19, 2011
    There is brilliance here beyond the norm. The pacing, the puzzles, the voice-over work, and all integrated in a very funny...yet menacing...way. There's not a wasted moment in the game and when I complete a tough puzzle it feels like an accomplishment. I also love that they've integrated the TF2-style store to purchase whimsical hats and the like w/o bashing me over the head like other games do w/micro-transactions. It'll be fun to play COOP and wear silly hats. Expand
  91. Apr 24, 2011
    If this game was just an expansion of the first portal, then I would have been dissapointed. However, Portal 2 offers additions: reflection cubes, various coloured paint, wall/bridges & pull/push beams to keep the gameplay varied and ultimately this game has very impressive level design. I didn't find the game that amusing, but there are more lines from NPC's to make you smile. I think this game is far superior to the original and I highly recommend it. Expand
  92. Apr 20, 2011
    An amazing game from start to finish. This game isn't for everyone but; those who enjoyed the first game will love this one. The comedy, gameplay, just everything. It's all here. It took me about 9 hours for the single-player portion alone; and theres still Co-Op to it. Totally worth it
  93. May 14, 2011
    This is the PERFECT sequel, aside from Valve's other masterpiece sequel of which I don't even need to name. Everything that was awesome about Portal is here, only multiplied by ten. The puzzles are extraordinarily creative, and each new item to manipulate is more fun than the previous one. It's so rare to see a game have so many fun concepts that all work perfectly together. I think the one criticism that people are throwing at it is really unfair - that it's not original or it's too easy. This is baloney. Yes, it's not an entirely new concept, but it is packed to the brim with brilliant new ones and carries over just a few from the first game. It's much more diverse, there are more characters, there are fun plot twists...the list goes on. Since it does carry over a few concepts, some might say the game is too easy. But this is just a stupid point - if you have played the first one then you already know the solution to some of the sequels puzzles, and you are much more aware of the abstract ways to get to exits. It's not the developer's fault that they can't erase some of these standards from veteran's brains. If the first portal did not exist, this game would be labeled very difficult. There were times when I just sat back and thought through a puzzle, and the game would do this to me frequently over my 11 hour playthrough. I never once was completely stumped, as I was not in the first one. It's difficulty is just right. One last thing - the dialogue is fantastic and cannot be beat by any other game out there. The writing is just hilarious and the voice acting rises to meet this excellence. Don't hesitate to get this. I haven't even played Co-op yet but I have already had a good enough time to justify my purchase - and then some. Expand
  94. Apr 20, 2011
    Totally polished, full of brilliant mechanics, perfectly paced, and featuring stellar writing, voice acting and Science! Not to mention a brilliant co-op campaign and an exclusive track from The National. What more do you need in a game? Sure it's not a 40 hour epic, but it's an 8-10 hour single player experience, because that's how long it runs, no matter what people say, plus a challenging and entertaining co-op mode and the certainty of user created maps in the future (this is the Source engine after all, people are going to mod in new levels), which makes it well worth the triple-A pricetag. As for the DLC, there *is* no DLC, at least not in the usual sense of the term. There's a shop where, if you are foolish enough, you can pay money for cosmetic additions to your co-op avatars, and if you feel that something like that would ruin the game for you, then I truly feel sorry for you because you will miss out on the fantastic experience this game has to offer. Ignore the whiners who are ticked off because they futilely bought the Potato Sack to get this game to come out on the weekend (they really shouldn't be complaining: the Sack was a fantastic deal on a bunch of great indie games) and judge the game on its true merits, which are top notch. Expand
  95. Apr 24, 2011
    Innovative, original, hilarious and wonderfully fun. A testament to what a sequel should be. Bioware's Dragon age 2 team should look at this game as a how to manual for releasing a sequel.
  96. Apr 24, 2011
    Have only played the single player campaign. This is a very worthy sequel to the creative Portal 1. The core of the game is still solving puzzles, but they have added a number of new mechanics. The length is much longer, the storyline is better and the humor is even sharper than the original. The environment is improved beyond the sterile laboratory setting (although you'll still see plenty.) Voice acting by Ellen McClain, Stephen Merchant, and J.K. Simmons deliver some excellent and memorable lines.
    Cons: not much. The experiments occasionally become repetitive, while the new game mechanics- gels and light constructs- do not seem to be used to their full advantage. Level design outside the test chambers occasionally becomes confusing, a trade-off of Valve's tendency for realistic level design. Although you might get tired of the puzzles, this time around you'll keep playing for the dialogue and story.
  97. Apr 20, 2011
    to find faults with this game would be absolutely pointless. It is the best example of clever level design and creative ideas coming together in a videogame you can find. The physics based puzzles all have logical and satisfying solutions, and require a degree of good reflexes and precision. But the real star of this game is the incredible writing and voice acting, which will consistently make you laugh and at times make you think. Yes, the game is hysterical, but if you examine the mythos of aperture science and the way it is run enough, you can pull some very deep morals out of it. Themes of artificial intelligence, sanity, and forgiveness are all present in the cleverly twisted story. This is not a game, it is a full on sensual experience that you can only enjoy by totally immersing yourself into the world Valve has created and be willing to think in ways you are not used to in a videogame. Whether you are playing the single player or co-operative online campaigns, the experience of Portal 2 is nothing short of masterful. There are games that come out every few years that defy normal genre conventions, impact the gamer like no game before it, and create lasting memories and experiences that are not normally found in a video game. Games among the ranks of Bioshock, , Half Life, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. These are not merely games that are incredible for their polish and perfection of conventional game design, but their originality and the way they create experiences that can only be felt in a video game. Portal 2 is one of those games. It is a gorgeously crafted, brilliantly designed and incredibly written. Whatever faults the game may have, you will be too caught up in its mysterious world and intricate puzzles to notice. You may not spend hundreds of hours into the game like a popular shooter, but the memories you'll get from the game will last for years. Expand
  98. May 12, 2012
    I have very mixed feelings about this game: I had fun playing the single player, even if flawed, and the co-op is without a doubt a great addition. But still, this is definitely the MOST overrated game of the 2011. First of all, the single player has a good plot that, unlike the predecessor, has a very good pace, it always keeps up the curiosity and has good twists now and then. However, the puzzles in the single player are just "good", mainly because MANY resembles previous puzzles just in another format, and the new ideas (like the gels, the energy tunnels, the lightways, etc) are not used at their maximum, and in the end some of the puzzles just look similar to each others. I also heard complaints about the longevity, and I'm not totally sure: it lasted about 7 hours to me, without rushing or being too slow, but since nowadays "adventure games" (or fps, or whatever works for you) don't even last over 4 hours, I say it's "good". About the co-op, I initially had doubts, but when I played I finally witnessed how good it was: the puzzles there are very good thought and actually incite team work AND team thinking...wish they were the same in the single player. These maps infact are good, a LOT, so much that I wanted them so badly in the single player: they were challenging and I had fun to do them, because they were good, and I DARE you to do it with perfect strangers: yes, it is usually better with friends, I know, but If you can't find any friends to play with, these puzzles will make be extremely hard to complete, because I tried over 6 times, with random players, and none of them lasted until the end of ONE single section, leaving me behind and almost quitting this mode ( I have to thank a friend to help me out there, or else I wouldn't be able to judge this mode). It was a mass disappointment to discover that the co-op has good maps, and not the single player. And now, if you hadn't notice, I mainly said "good" from the start, and it is because this game is just good: it's not perfect because this game adds barely much: the co-op is a good addition yes but still this game felt more like an expansion (a costy one) with very few tweaks to the gameplay, and even if the plot is good and the co-op is very fun, I don't feel it is worth the full price (even though it's cheap as hell nowadays). I'm not saying it's a bad game anyway and actually I say to give it a try, especially the first Portal, if you like puzzle games, but it's definitely NOT the best game of the year 2011. Expand
  99. Apr 25, 2011
    So many of these reviews are simply a referendum on Valve rather than a genuine evaluation of the game. While I will admit I have my own reservations with some of the things Valve have done over the last several years, this game should be judged on its individual merits and in that regard Portal 2 is an excellent game, but it is not perfect.

Valve has taken a game that was a highly
    impressive part of The Orange Box and turned it into a highly impressive full sized version. Having said that though, the game is short. It took me about 10 hours to complete it and a better gamer than I could easily get it done in 8. (Those reviews that say 4-6 are Valve haters and clearly didn't play through the game)

The first half of the game is exceptionally compelling thanks to the excellent story and the way it is told. The gameplay compliments the story as the player reacquaints themselves with the Portal gun and the world of Portal. The introduction of the personality Wheatley is a positive and humorous addition to the game. The second half of the game starts to drag however as you learn the history of aperture science and the puzzles that accompany it tend to reflect this by being somewhat tedious.

Gone are the sterile levels from the first game, replaced by similar areas that are overgrown or more gritty areas later in the game. The exchange for this gritty realism seems to be a decrease in the difficulty and cleverness of each level. The puzzles lack some of the complexity and multi-dimensionality of the original game. Thankfully Valve has gotten rid of the balls of light that we had to tediously redirect in the first game and replaced them with lasers (no more waiting for the balls of light to bounce off of things!), however new in the game are three types of gel that you can bounce off of, move faster through or use to put portals in areas that you previously couldn't. I found the gels extremely tedious and irritating! The introduction of light bridges and light tunnels were good additions (Though the tunnels could use some physics tweaks) and should have been used far more extensively than the gels.

The ending of the game while not terrible by any means is a little disappointing and the climax to the final battle actually had me saying "You are kidding me!" for its preposterousness. The visuals are stunning though and the wrap up of the plot satisfying.

Overall Portal 2 is a great game and if I could give it an 8.5 I would. It suffers from having to compete with its exceptional, groundbreaking, and much cheaper predecessor. I dinged it a point for its $59.99 price and another point for a combination of simplicity of levels, tediousness and the silly nature of the final battle. I have not played the coop version yet however and if I find this to be an excellent addition I will revise my review to a 9. Valve has produced an excellent game that will be up for many Game of the Year awards from various publications.
  100. May 14, 2011
    How long Valve will create games using 7 years old source engine ? High price for an old looking game and shameless console port, is nothing more than a joke.

1. Oct 20, 2011