Portal 2 PC

9.0

1. Apr 20, 2011
    The best game ever (Valve and not). Gameplay, graphic, soundtrack, story every single thing of this game it's simply wonderful. If you liked Portal, buy this, immediately.
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    Great Story, Great Puzzle!
    The new gel and laser are really fun to play with. The co-op mode is super fun to play with a firend. Wow!
    Worth every penny!
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    Can't say I've finished the game yet so maybe I shouldn't post here, but I don't care. Everything I've experienced within the first few hours simply astounds me - as a gamer this is the type of game I long for, deep, involving and innovating. Portal 2 may only build up on the original, however, it does it in such a way as to be judged an outright masterpiece - the original Portal nowCan't say I've finished the game yet so maybe I shouldn't post here, but I don't care. Everything I've experienced within the first few hours simply astounds me - as a gamer this is the type of game I long for, deep, involving and innovating. Portal 2 may only build up on the original, however, it does it in such a way as to be judged an outright masterpiece - the original Portal now merely seems like a 'warm-up gig'.

Put it this way - you can tell the devs at Valve had fun making this game, and their hard work and effort truely shows.

There are some comments on here about consolification - ignore them. The ARG may not have been to everybody's taste, but this is Valve and they do things differently. They set an example to the many other PC devs out there who have sold out to the console crowds, the example being that if you truely support your fans - you will be rewarded.

Thank you Valve.
  4. Apr 20, 2011
    A great game, definitely one of Valve's best yet. It takes a perfect, short experimental game and makes it into a full game, which may not be as perfect but has much bigger scope. Also, this is NOT a console port. Console ports do not have quicksave, developer console and advanced graphics options (see Crysis 2).
  5. Apr 24, 2011
    If you're someone who measures a game's worth primarily by it's playtime, Portal 2 may be a bit disappointing to you. However, this is typically not how most media (film, music, books, etc.) is judged - you won't find the New York Times scoring an excellent film lower just because it has a shorter run time than another potentially not-as-good film, and ticket prices are almost neverIf you're someone who measures a game's worth primarily by it's playtime, Portal 2 may be a bit disappointing to you. However, this is typically not how most media (film, music, books, etc.) is judged - you won't find the New York Times scoring an excellent film lower just because it has a shorter run time than another potentially not-as-good film, and ticket prices are almost never factored into film reviews (except for the case of 3D, which is another story.) I think we can all agree that movies as well as video games are overpriced, regardless of how good they are.

So, ignoring all other factors, I feel that Portal 2 is easily one of the best games on the market today, and an experience no gamer (or person, for that matter,) should miss. Every bit of this game, from start to finish, is polished, well thought out, surprising in it's plot and ever changing gameplay, and, simply put, fun and entertaining. I personally felt that, for a game such as this, the length was perfect - the game took what Portal 1 did and expanded upon all elements in such a way that somehow makes the first, once thought of a revolutionary, now seem primitive.

When you get right down to it, I'd much rather pay $50 for a slightly shorter but much higher quality product, than for a game that is lesser in quality but much longer due to repetitive gameplay. I guess it's up to you.
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    All this hate over the ARG, DLC, it being a supposed "console port", and other non-issues is ridiculous. I'm not sure where all this vitriol comes from and to merely blame "trolls" seems to simple an out (and the default counter argument on the internet).

Portal 2 does surpass the original in terms of gameplay, story, and future expandable potential. Is the price of $50 ($45 for the pre-order) justified by the content? Compared to other forms of media (and even other video games) I think it does. Consider: you spend $15 to see a 2 hour movie, which, arguably, probably doesn't tell a story nearly as well as Portal 2 does; the math works out in the favor of Portal 2. Or lets say that you could beat Portal 2 in 4 hours (NOTE: If you beat this in 4 hours, you probably weren't playing for the experience anyway), I think "4 hours" of an amazing game is better than 8 - 12 hours of a mediocre bore.

When it comes to Portal 2, the professional critics have it exactly right and the "fans" have it wrong. To not play this game based upon some vague anger is myopic at best because that means you'll miss out on arguably the greatest gaming experience of this year (if not ever).
  7. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game. Just as the first was slick and well scripted, this has added layers to the game that you pass through with surprise and gratitude. Loading points are a little frequent to begin but make a great change over point between friends. The store feature is pointless, but with the sales figures they get I'm sure they won't repeat it. So 12 -2 =10
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    There is only one word to describe this game...AMAZING! Ignore all of the bad things people have been saying about this game. You shouldn't write a review about what comes with the game you should write the review based on the game play alone. With that being said this game is an absolute blast to play and all of the in game voice acting is hilarious!
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is pretty much a decent sequel.The length of the game is short but with the co-op mode i can enjoy for a few month.To be honest,i don't give a **** if you trolls like "ValveSucks" who dedicate his life to trolling valve.I can bet you trolls cant even make a game better then portal 2.
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    The audacity of the people who posted 0 score reviews and claimed that the game is four hours long is simply flabbergasting. I joined simply to refute the idiocy that is the claim that this game isn't everything any sane person expected and more. Valve stated that the game was approximately twice as long in both co-op and single player modes, and that is absolutely accurate. Steam hasThe audacity of the people who posted 0 score reviews and claimed that the game is four hours long is simply flabbergasting. I joined simply to refute the idiocy that is the claim that this game isn't everything any sane person expected and more. Valve stated that the game was approximately twice as long in both co-op and single player modes, and that is absolutely accurate. Steam has recorded my time spent playing Portal 2 at 18 hours, during which I beat the single player and multiplayer, and went back through the beginning of the single player since I rushed my way through and wanted to hear the optional comments by Stephen Merchant as Wheatley. The claims that the writing is shallow and predictable seem like they must have come from someone playing a different game. Even knowing the lines that were about to be uttered on my second run through the first hour or so of the game I couldn't help but literally laugh out loud. I stayed up until the game released and played for about eight hours, before I needed to get some sleep. I probably put another two in the morning to complete the game, although admittedly I did get stuck on what turned out to be relatively simple puzzles once I got to the Repulsion Gel phase of testing. A lot of people seem to have gotten bent out of shape because of the Valve ARG, and while I'll admit that I had hoped for Portal 2 to come about earlier than it did, Valve's being excellent viral marketers certainly benefited the developers of a number of indie titles. I myself put a great many hours logged in (and even some playing) to the potato pack games that I owned to try to help the cause. However, anyone who bought these games purely because they wanted to play Portal 2 sooner and not because they were a collection of enjoyable indie titles clearly makes poor choices. The people who contributed a lot to the Valve ARG got to play Portal early, and some of them were even given the Valve complete pack. Valve never told anyone anything that was less than truthful about the ARG. And while I do feel it a bit odd to have been trolled by a company that's known to be one of the more trustworthy in the industry it's hardly the tragic knife in the back some people are making it out to be. There is potato related humor in Portal 2, and while I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, to me it made up for the feelings of annoyance I felt at the ARG having been, more or less, a waste of time. But apparently a number of people have decided come around and blatantly lie about Portal 2 as some sort of retribution for feeling slighted is laughable at best. I have very little doubt that the trolls flaming Portal 2 by and large haven't even purchased the title.

Some few people may not appreciate the writing, or gameplay, of Portal 2. Those people, clearly, must not have enjoyed Portal because they're undeniably quite similar in those aspects. While the new gameplay elements do require a bit of thought, and perhaps make certain areas of the game slightly more frustrating until you have the epiphany required to pass the stages, there's nothing akin to the ridiculous timing based momentum puzzles near the end of Portal. There's nothing quite like the payoff when you realize what you were overlooking, whether it's a button or application of one of the new gameplay elements that hadn't crossed your mind. While I can certainly understand that not everyone finds puzzle games to be enjoyable, I don't really grasp why these people seem to have flocked to Portal 2 in droves.

A lot of people are whining and crying that they can't fist pump or facepalm or whatever, or that they can't make use of some of the more ridiculous costume pieces without purchasing "85 dollars of DLC" (which can be purchased in it's entirety for 35 dollars if anyone were of a mind to do such a thing) These skins and items are almost certainly unlockable, although I can only speak toward having unlocked the companion cube beanie and flag through achievements. There are 16 achievements I haven't unlocked, and it's quite likely a number of them have bot gear associated with them. The "DLC" isn't really even content, it's the equivalent of the Mann-Co store in Team Fortress 2. The interesting thing to note there, is Valve hasn't maintained any sort of monopoly on the hats and such available through the Mann-Co store, third party designers have made tens of thousands of dollars selling their own creations, and I doubt Valve has any intention of keeping people from offering their own goods in the Bot Enhancement Center.

I just want to close by saying, I haven't laughed so hard or enjoyed a game more in a long time. Portal 2 is going to take up more of my time before I've gotten it out of my system, and there will certainly be map packs released by fans that till pull me back in much as the Portal Flash version map pack, and Gamma Energy did for Portal.
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    The first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowingThe first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowing me to play with some of my Playstation 3 buds. Brilliant from start to finish. Expand
  12. Apr 20, 2011
    I love Portal and Portal 2 is even better. I canâ
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    10 out of 10, all of the complaints I've seen are ridiculous! This was honestly better than I thought it would be. So many of the complaints are about these other games that you had the option of buying, which I didn't, and things like long load times, which I also didn't have... don't blame Valve that you couldn't be bothered buying a functional computer..
  14. Apr 20, 2011
    BEST GAME EVER !!

Seriously, most of the negative "comments" are just "trolls". This game is amazing, innovative to the core, funny as, and definitely not some console port. Sure it may not be the most challenging game, given it's nature as being a puzzle game, if valve had made the game too hard most casual players would probably give up from frustration and annoyance, it is balance
    BEST GAME EVER !!

Seriously, most of the negative "comments" are just "trolls".

This game is amazing, innovative to the core, funny as, and definitely not some console port. Sure it may not be the most challenging game, given it's nature as being a puzzle game, if valve had made the game too hard most casual players would probably give up from frustration and annoyance, it is balance between being easy and hard.

Voice acting is this game is simply outstanding, the gameplay has turned a small concept into a full out game, and the story is complete. This game is a must have for any gamer.
  15. Apr 20, 2011
    C'est clairement le meilleur jeu sortis ces derniers temps. Les nouveaux mécanismes ont été utilisé avec beaucoup de subtilité (et parfois moins), ce qui permettra la création de niveaux extraordinaires avec le SDK. Le scénario a évité la facilité et lesC'est clairement le meilleur jeu sortis ces derniers temps. Les nouveaux mécanismes ont été utilisé avec beaucoup de subtilité (et parfois moins), ce qui permettra la création de niveaux extraordinaires avec le SDK. Le scénario a évité la facilité et les poncifs, pour porter un humour toujours aussi agréable. La version anglaise serait cependant à mon sens quelque peu meilleure que la version francophone, d'où mon 9.

Une grande réussite, à la hauteur du premier !
  16. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply notAmazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply not anything negative I can find. It's extremely fun to play, and extremely fun to replay. Expand
  17. Apr 20, 2011
    from the valve stable comes another epic game after years of waiting, the game is simply mind blowing if you like puzzle based games this game is highly recommended, although the source engine is starting to show its age the game environment is awesome, the humor , sound and music effect are amazingly enjoyable, the co op is good wish there was more game-play, in all a must play valve gamefrom the valve stable comes another epic game after years of waiting, the game is simply mind blowing if you like puzzle based games this game is highly recommended, although the source engine is starting to show its age the game environment is awesome, the humor , sound and music effect are amazingly enjoyable, the co op is good wish there was more game-play, in all a must play valve game the game runs smoothly with no issues Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    Very familiar, and yet that's a very good thing. It was exactly what I expected: a fleshing out of the promise of the first game with more shine, more (excellent) dialog, more puzzles. While 10 hours isn't the longest I've ever spent completing a game; it was 10 of the best hours I've ever spent with a game...and that has to count for something. An excellent effort from Valve.
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    Full disclaimer: I'm only about an hour in, but I've already realized that Portal 2 is everything that was great about the first game and then some. It's got incredible dialogue, challening puzzles and a certain charm to it that just isn't found in a lot of other games. Yes, the graphics aren't the selling point here (what Valve game sells itself on graphics anyway) but the gameplay isFull disclaimer: I'm only about an hour in, but I've already realized that Portal 2 is everything that was great about the first game and then some. It's got incredible dialogue, challening puzzles and a certain charm to it that just isn't found in a lot of other games. Yes, the graphics aren't the selling point here (what Valve game sells itself on graphics anyway) but the gameplay is phenomenal. Highly recommended for fans of the puzzle genre. Expand
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    A fantastic game. The complaints about DLC is completely unwarranted given that the DLC is for goodies that in no way affect gameplay (unless you count your character having weird hats as crucial to complete puzzles). The graphics aren't the best out there but 1) it wasn't advertised to be a graphical beast 2) what they did with it was create a rich environment that you could go around andA fantastic game. The complaints about DLC is completely unwarranted given that the DLC is for goodies that in no way affect gameplay (unless you count your character having weird hats as crucial to complete puzzles). The graphics aren't the best out there but 1) it wasn't advertised to be a graphical beast 2) what they did with it was create a rich environment that you could go around and look at the various details. As many people have pointed out already, if you liked Portal, you'll really like Portal 2. If you haven't played portal, it's pretty cheap now so go play it. If you're all huffed up about the potato sack / ARG stuff you didn't have to do it. You didn't have to buy anything you didn't want to. Go find a site that reviews gaming companies and vent there. Expand
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game that is worth every penny! While it may not be perfect it is yet another great game by Valve.
    The story is great and the robots' personalities are more interesting the those of the humans in other games.
    Along with a really fun coop. This game is well worth the money. I do not understand how people can whine at Valve about the "DLC", it's not DLC since it does not

Along with a really fun coop. This game is well worth the money.

I do not understand how people can whine at Valve about the "DLC", it's not DLC since it does not actually affect the gameplay. It's merely a cosmetic item applied to your characters head, for fun. That's it and nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Valve said that Portal 2 is probably their best game. And it really shows.
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    I finished the game this morning and let me say this, Portal 2 is a masterpiece! One of the best games to come out this year. I have also played several of the co-op challenges with friends and they are some of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in the past year. And to all the morons who gave this a '0 out of 10' rating, I will explain this to you slowly so that your tiny minds canI finished the game this morning and let me say this, Portal 2 is a masterpiece! One of the best games to come out this year. I have also played several of the co-op challenges with friends and they are some of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in the past year. And to all the morons who gave this a '0 out of 10' rating, I will explain this to you slowly so that your tiny minds can follow: You don't have to pay for the extra co-op items you get them for FREE as you play through the co-op game. Get it? FREE. F R E E ! ! If you are on the fence about purchasing this game, I hope you realize that the negative reviews on this site, for this game, are only due to the fact that the Internet doesn't restrict access based upon IQ test results. Expand
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    I finished Portal 2 in about 5.5 hours, experienced Portal players will probably take lesser time. However, the entire single-player mode is quite awesome and the puzzles entertaining. The story line, voice acting, etc. are brilliant (needless to say) and they complement the well-balanced gameplay.
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    To all these users saying the game is 4 hours, IT'S FALSE. I rushed a fair amount-I mean I listened to all the dialogue, but I didnâ
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    A very satisfying experience, regardless of the length (which of course will vary from person to person). Also I've strong reasons to believe that there will be more free content provided as in the case of L4D series..
  26. Apr 21, 2011
    Great puzzle game and great characters. It took me about 8 hours to beat the single player story and I didn't really get stuck anywhere. The puzzles are generally pretty easy if you're familiar with the mindset of how a portal works from the first game. They did introduce some new mechanics with "gels" which stick to surfaces and have modify the surfaces to have special properties. IfGreat puzzle game and great characters. It took me about 8 hours to beat the single player story and I didn't really get stuck anywhere. The puzzles are generally pretty easy if you're familiar with the mindset of how a portal works from the first game. They did introduce some new mechanics with "gels" which stick to surfaces and have modify the surfaces to have special properties. If you're wary of the $49.99 price tag (Steam) because you've never played portal before, I'd suggest picking up the Portal 1 first. If you have played the first portal, I suspect you'll have a similar opinion as you did for the first one because it plays almost the same. I haven't played the co-op mode yet (and probably won't), but the single-player story might get one more playthrough. Also Stephen Merchant is hilarious. Expand
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    Mindbending puzzles, brilliantly funny and sometimes bizarrely thought provoking script, incredible haunted post-pre-dystopian atmosphere (somehow!), amazing soundtrack, excellent visuals (that run on highest settings on my 3 year old machine).... what's missing? Too short maybe? Well, I haven't even started the co-op and I really can't wait to do that, so no. Thank you Valve.
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    The atmosphere of Portal 2 was dark and moody. The humor was spot on. Gameplay was challenging without being obnoxiously difficult. None of the puzzles felt contrived or particularly monotonous. The single player game length felt right (It took me roughly 10 hours to play through)

Just a couple of minor points felt a bit silly to me is the only reason I don't give the game a 10.
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was no Portal; we all saw that coming. Yet, Portal 2 did the unthinkable for sequels, in that it matched its predecessor. Sure, the initial shock of "How cool is this?" was gone - we've been thinking with portals for some time now - but the thrill was still there. Puzzle solving with portals is, simply put, entertaining, and the new mechanics were engaging but not tooPortal 2 was no Portal; we all saw that coming. Yet, Portal 2 did the unthinkable for sequels, in that it matched its predecessor. Sure, the initial shock of "How cool is this?" was gone - we've been thinking with portals for some time now - but the thrill was still there. Puzzle solving with portals is, simply put, entertaining, and the new mechanics were engaging but not too frustrating.

The storyline this time around was, I thought, better than the first one, despite depending on Portal for its punch. The flow of the game was steady, and overall Portal 2 was at least double the length of Portal.

The haterade is purely unfounded: the game isn't that short, and the DLC is purely visual. Valve didn't hold back any extra levels or fun content just to try and sell it on release day. As if it weren't already bleedingly obvious, you know the game has to be good when it's getting so much vitriol from the peanut gallery.

In all, Portal 2 was worth the $40 I spent on it (PC, bought the 2-pack with a friend) and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to round up a partner to keep working on the co-op content. As if single player Portal wasn't awesome enough, right?
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    This seems to be one of those games where either you hate it for inexplicable reasons and can't understand why everybody is so enthusiastic or you're so bloody enthusiastic that it's quite *obviously* game of the year, if not the decade. Just take a look at Metacritic and compare it to comments on, say, Rock Paper Shotgun articles about Portal 2. Best advice, if you enjoyed Portal, thenThis seems to be one of those games where either you hate it for inexplicable reasons and can't understand why everybody is so enthusiastic or you're so bloody enthusiastic that it's quite *obviously* game of the year, if not the decade. Just take a look at Metacritic and compare it to comments on, say, Rock Paper Shotgun articles about Portal 2. Best advice, if you enjoyed Portal, then buy it and make your own opinion. In two weeks, we'll still be arguing over whether it's actually a good game or whether Valve is trying to gouge us with "Day 1 DLC" and we *still* won't be getting anywhere. Have fun trying to make a balanced opinion about the game in that atmosphere, whether in two weeks, a month, or three. If you never played Portal ... then buy Portal. It's cheap and it will give you an idea of what the game is about. You can then decide on that basis whether to buy Portal 2 or not. Either you're interested in a sequel after playing it or you aren't ... simple. I bought Portal 2 on the merits of Portal, not because of all the hype and tra la la. Personally, I believe it was worth the money, but that's just me.

Because of the above and because of the widespread griping about the game, I don't care to tell you what the game was like. Pay heed to my above advice or ignore the game and keep playing whatever you were playing. It doesn't matter. It's just a game.

Addendum: Please try to ignore reviews which start with "storyline was great, concept was good" then proceed to give the product a 0/10 because of, frankly, nonsensical reasons. I don't know what people were expecting. Portal 2 is the sequel to Portal. If people were unaware of this, then it isn't the fault of the game. It's the fault of unrealistic expectations, as is the case in many aspects of the gaming industry. 0/10 says nothing about a game. It doesn't even reflect the "storyline was great, concept was good" portion of a review which then names one or two other *negative* points which might or not be justified.
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    Yes, it is short, but it is oh so sweet. If you're expecting a single player experience that will take weeks to complete, then you will be disappointed and/or feel short changed. However personally, I think Portal 2 is a little piece of gaming perfection and worth every penny.

While other games can feel clunky or confusing, everything here feels so simple and effortless in its execution. Considering the potential complexity of the physics based puzzles, this is even more impressive. In terms of sheer quality, I can't think of a game than can hold a candle to Portal 2 (Possibly HL2), and like fine dining, you expect to pay more for quality than you would for quantity (i.e $10 all you can eat buffet).
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    I've played the majority of this game already and am planning on going back and exploring more. Was this game as good as Portal? Pretty much. Of course, its not as fresh since its a sequel, but the writing is excellent and quirky which was one of the best things from the original. Don't believe the haters. This game is tons of fun.
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    VALVe delivers one of its greatest masterpieces in Portal 2. 8 hours of solid gameplay in the single player followed by several more in a completely different co-op story make it a lot longer than the first Portal, and new features with further ways to complete tests, as well as a witty GLaDOS and Wheatley, make me reward VALVe with a 10.
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is absolutely awesome. Portal 1 was a magnificent game and I thought that Valve won't be able to make anything better. Now I know that I was wrong. Portal 2 has everything that Portal 1 had, but more of it and in better form. And the ending is just, just, just... (I really can't find better word) EPIC! Come one Valve, just take my money ;)
  35. Apr 20, 2011
    I actually agree that the ARG promotion was a bit lame if your only interest was Portal 2, but if you enjoy playing indie games, it offered a great deal on many solid titles and gave them some free press, which is not something intelligent gamers will complain about.

The DLC is not a factor at all. For one thing, the XBOX version which I purchased doesn't have any DLC, and even if it did, as I understand it offers nothing that I would feel even the slightest bit compelled to purchase. It's ignorant to resent Valve for taking the money of people who are willing to give it to them simply because you're not willing. Get a job, kids...or stop wanting silly hats.

As for the actual merits of the game, so far it's got everything I loved about the original, but more and better. The difficulty of the first 4 hours could be increased somewhat, but I suspect that's only because I enjoyed the first game so thoroughly that it has made "portalthinking" more natural for me. For a new player, the difficulty is likely spot on.

As for the length, I'm 4.5 hours into single player mode and I've only had any significant delays in one room which left me somewhat stumped for no more than 10 minutes. If anyone is clearing it in 4 hours or less, they already know the solutions to all the rooms and are simply sprinting thru each level without taking time to actually look around or listen to dialogue. Besides, if the game actually deserved a 0 rating, "too short" wouldn't be a flaw; it would be a blessing.
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is definitely Valve's best game up to date! The game is absolutely brilliant. The level design is a lot better than in portal 1. The graphics are great and the gameplay is just superb. Nobody should miss it. Too bad of all the trolls and haters. It's definitely not a console port, like most of them try to make you believe. It took me about 7 hours to complete the single-player andPortal 2 is definitely Valve's best game up to date! The game is absolutely brilliant. The level design is a lot better than in portal 1. The graphics are great and the gameplay is just superb. Nobody should miss it. Too bad of all the trolls and haters. It's definitely not a console port, like most of them try to make you believe. It took me about 7 hours to complete the single-player and i've still got to play the co-op. DLC? There is no DLC! It's a shop with items items to for the co-op characters, nothing that affects gameplay in any way. Expand
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is the perfect sequel to a much beloved game. Valve has built and expanded upon what made Portal such a great experience. The added puzzle elements get you to think in new ways. The music is an experience all in it self, I will be getting a soundtrack asap. The script has the same dark sense of humor that made Portal such a comical joy to play. I have heard complaints aboutPortal 2 is the perfect sequel to a much beloved game. Valve has built and expanded upon what made Portal such a great experience. The added puzzle elements get you to think in new ways. The music is an experience all in it self, I will be getting a soundtrack asap. The script has the same dark sense of humor that made Portal such a comical joy to play. I have heard complaints about the length of the game. Portal 2 is NOT a 4 hour game, I have heard an average of 6 - 8 hours plus the co-op which should add an extra 3 -4 hours that is at least on par with most action games I have played. The quality of the game is outstanding and I think people have lost a appreciation for quality and instead are judging games on $ to gameplay ratio. If we are going to start doing this everybody may as well just stop buying games and play WOW. Expand
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply put... best game this year by far! All these people who are complaining about "single player is 4 hours and I'm bored now," get some friends with the game and play co-op. Amazingly more difficult then single player and a lot more fun. The only down side to the whole game is the store to buy more outfits, gestures and other things is lame... you are not Zynga, you're Valve!!!Simply put... best game this year by far! All these people who are complaining about "single player is 4 hours and I'm bored now," get some friends with the game and play co-op. Amazingly more difficult then single player and a lot more fun. The only down side to the whole game is the store to buy more outfits, gestures and other things is lame... you are not Zynga, you're Valve!!! Amazing graphics and really fun. Love the computer too in co-op... it tells you that "...the other guy is dragging you down..." while your friend gets some random message... very smart and funny. All your games need this co-op experience. Lastly... Great game again! Expand
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    A great sequel. Is challenging and fun. Just when you think single player is over, it continues and gets even better. The new repulsion gel adds a whole new level of difficulty and fun.
  40. mch
    Apr 20, 2011
    Too many haters and trolls around here. Don't like [purely cosmetic] DLC? Don't buy it. Didn't like the Potato Sack indie game promotion? Shouldn't have dished out the money for something that clearly wasn't going to affect the release date all that much.

The game is great, had me laughing and smiling ear-to-ear during my very first session. Puzzles are still challenging. As good as the original, with more content.
  41. Apr 20, 2011
    The best Valve game that I have played so far. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time.
    Well paced, good story, great atmosphere. Even the somewhat short length of 4 hours didn't detract too much from the game because of how well everything flowed.
    The puzzles could have been harder, and the linearity, at times, was frustrating, but overall a great game and definitely one worth the money I invested in it.
  42. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game, great graphics. Well Worth it. Enjoyed it very much!~
    Don't get why people are **** about DLC. It's not necassary, and especially not necessary to base the game's review over such a retarded point.
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply put, this game is excellent and exactly what was promised. The original Portal made us think about our games in a new way. This game doesn't aim to do the same, but to build on this framework and bring it up to the next level. The Portal universe has been expanded and refined to create a much longer and richly storied world than its predecessor. There are a lot of complaintsSimply put, this game is excellent and exactly what was promised. The original Portal made us think about our games in a new way. This game doesn't aim to do the same, but to build on this framework and bring it up to the next level. The Portal universe has been expanded and refined to create a much longer and richly storied world than its predecessor. There are a lot of complaints being lobbed (like you might a potato!) at Valve and most of them are just plain unreasonable and unjustified.

The game is very well paced and seems similar in length to any other FPS style game. As of writing this I'm about 4 hours in and I would be shocked if everything gets wrapped up in the next 30 minutes to an hour of playtime. Anyone finishing it in 4 hours is truly not paying any attention to the absolutely stunning world the game takes place in. There are countless hidden areas to find and the care and love that went into building this expanded universe is obvious.

The pre-launch campaign was brilliant and funny (and completely optional). Many of complaining that they wasted their time and money to only expedite the launch by a few hours. The full retail value of the Potato Sack on Steam was nearly $200 and you were able to buy it for less than a quarter of that. I already own several of the games but I jumped on that deal solely for what it was: a great deal for a bunch of great games. Not to mention you are supporting small and indie developers with your purchase. As for the time wasted playing the games to speed up the launch: We were helping to reboot Glados, did you honestly expect her to keep her word entirely? [This is probably one of the best and most widely executed April Fool's jokes I've seen and I loved it]

Day 1 DLC - Is entirely cosmetic for co-op mode. Again, if you don't want it then don't buy it. Valve is simply supplying a subset of their customer base with things they love... Hats! I don't see how people can be angry about this, how is it any different than buying hats for Team Fortress 2?

Who cares if this is a console port? I'm running the game on max settings. It looks gorgeous and plays like a dream. If it is a console port then every other company that tries to port to a PC needs to talk to Valve and figure out how to do it this well.

The bottom line is that this is an amazing next step in the evolution of the Portal universe. The game play is smart, the world is beautiful, the dialogue is funny and amazingly voiced. I won't go so far as to say this is the best game ever, but it is a great game. Valve as always delivers an incredibly well polished game that meets or exceeds expectations on every level. I strongly urge you to pick up this title. Enjoy the scenery, the dialogue and the experience. You won't be disappointed.
  44. Apr 20, 2011
    For the record, the "Day 1 DLC" functions in exactly the same fashion as the Mann Co. Store in TF2. You can still get all of the products through achievements or at random. Is it an attempt to cash in on people's laziness? Yes. Does it change the game at all for people willing to work for it? No. With that addressed, the single player is significantly better than the first portal, but I'mFor the record, the "Day 1 DLC" functions in exactly the same fashion as the Mann Co. Store in TF2. You can still get all of the products through achievements or at random. Is it an attempt to cash in on people's laziness? Yes. Does it change the game at all for people willing to work for it? No. With that addressed, the single player is significantly better than the first portal, but I'm disappointed they have not yet included "challenge" levels. Still, Valve managed to replicate the same sense of wonder that they did in the first. A must play. Expand
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    This Game is one of the best i played for years. Valve put good puzzles in it, so that everyone can solve some of them. For me it was at the end a bit to hard to get those puzzles solved.
  46. Apr 20, 2011
    Ok, i'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible:
    1) everyone giving this game a low score is a troll, don't listen to them.
    2) graphics are amazing 3) sound design is the best i've seen in a while 4) campaign is short, but has so much gameplay packed into it 5) co-op is amazingly fun 6) end credits song = best credits ever 7) it is a HILLARIOUS game 8) directed to the troll
    Ok, i'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible:
    1) everyone giving this game a low score is a troll, don't listen to them.
    2) graphics are amazing
    3) sound design is the best i've seen in a while
    4) campaign is short, but has so much gameplay packed into it
    5) co-op is amazingly fun
    6) end credits song = best credits ever
    7) it is a HILLARIOUS game
    8) directed to the troll reviewers out there. if you don't want to pay to customise your robot, then don't customise your robot.
  47. Apr 20, 2011
    This is the best game I have ever played. It replaces my original choice for shadow of the colossus. Full of clever levels, humor, and hidden messages, I had way to much fun. I never give games perfect scores, but this game deserves it fully, and it deserves GOTY for the next 10 years!
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was an amazing game, a lot better than first Portal. I had lots of fun while playing it, it could have been slightly longer tho, but i guess considering how the story went, if it was any longer, it would have probably just dragged the story on too much. Quality over quantity in this case.
    Ive spend over 14h in the game already and its still fun to play.
    Music in the game was
    Ive spend over 14h in the game already and its still fun to play.
    Music in the game was awesome and fit it very well (and ending song was even better than Still Alive).
    Dialog was funny and characters had nice personalities.. i mean, even co-op _robots_ have more personality than characters in most games nowdays.

Also everyone else who wants to review the game with negative feedback..please stop bringing the ARG to the reviews you idiots, the ARG is not Portal 2 so you dont need to goddamn review it.

Also unlike what many rage reviewers say, Portal 2 is nowhere near a console port.
  49. Apr 20, 2011
    Once again Valve has created a great game. Once again many of its "fans" are whiny and dont understand the concept of the game. If you dont like the game because it is only 6-8 hours long singleplayer and you cant find a friend to co-op with, or because you genuinely dont like the amazing voice acting, or the graphics (that while not top of the line, are not bad either.) then thatOnce again Valve has created a great game. Once again many of its "fans" are whiny and dont understand the concept of the game. If you dont like the game because it is only 6-8 hours long singleplayer and you cant find a friend to co-op with, or because you genuinely dont like the amazing voice acting, or the graphics (that while not top of the line, are not bad either.) then that is fine. But dont like to other fans. Expand
  50. Apr 20, 2011
    Wonderful story, beautiful dialog, stunning gameplay. It all adds up to be a perfect game, because of one small small detail.

The store. Unless valve have big plans for new Co-Op maps and features the shop serves little purpose. However as with TF2 (to start with) the cosmetic addons serve no purpose than making you look stupid. This game is one of my all time favourites, and it only

The store.

This game is one of my all time favourites, and it only game out yesterday! I'm in love. Will be playing many more times. I would give the game 98% or a 10/10
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is amazing. Great story, great humour, fantastic visuals (even more so considering the age of the Source engine) and all in all, pretty much perfect. My only problem was the number of loading screens. I would've preferred loading to happen in the lifts with amusing commentary to keep me company, but whatever.

Now, on to those so called issues people are giving the game low scores

Now, on to those so called issues people are giving the game low scores for: - Day 1 DLC? So what? It's totally non-essential and A BIT OF FUN in what is a LIGHT HEARTED COMEDY game. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't complain. Idiot. - Short game? Took me around 7 - 8 hours. I didn't treat it as a race so I could brag to people how much of a geek I am. I took in all the lines of dialogue and did some exploration. Only about 3 of the puzzles really challenged me, but they were mostly down to me overcomplicating things in my head. - The ARG/Potatosack/early release really have NOTHING to do with the game. If all that was a problem for you, take it up with Valve.

BUY THIS GAME.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    Very solid game. All of what you expect from Portal specifically and Valve in general is there. Only weak parts for me was a particular chapter toward the middle-end of game involving the founder of Aperature Science. But that "weakness" was minor mostly a taste issue. My breakdown:

Graphics: Source is aging exceptionally well, no weakness here. Gameplay: Riffs around the same theme from the original Portal. This is a good thing
    Plot/dialog: Best in class.
    Time to play single player: For me (I grind, don't rush, explore every nook and cranny): 8+ hours
    Time for co-op: TBD, havent done it yet, plan to this week-end
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    It seems that nearly all of the reviews that rate Portal 2 a 0-3 quote that the game only lasts 4 hours. This is an inaccurate report, these reviewers must be trolls and these reviews should be removed from Metacritic's Portal 2 review sight.
  54. Apr 20, 2011
    I'd like to preface by saying, I have been reading reviews on here ever since steam started including a metacritic score, and lead me to this site. That being said, I have read plenty of reviews on this website prior to almost all my purchases (excluding some preorders that have recently been very hit and miss). The most miserable thing is to read all these reviews, and see about 90% ofI'd like to preface by saying, I have been reading reviews on here ever since steam started including a metacritic score, and lead me to this site. That being said, I have read plenty of reviews on this website prior to almost all my purchases (excluding some preorders that have recently been very hit and miss). The most miserable thing is to read all these reviews, and see about 90% of the posts come from accounts that were just created, and have only 1 review done, and it of course is Portal 2. There are plenty of these accounts made for spamming going around, but DA2 and Portal2 have definitely brought out the worst in blanketing reviews.

The one thing I would urgently stress for readers, is to realize there is an extreme amount of exaggeration for reviews here. With that "disclaimer" aside, I think this game has been great, and I have yet to explore multiplayer. I'm about 90% of the way through the game, and it plays out tremendously. Its single player campaign on average is shorter than most, but is much more engaged than any I have come across in quite some time. The dialogue, the voice acting, the environment, the humor, it all plays a huge roll by taking you into the world and making this game almost feel like an interactive movie. I understand many games try to do the same thing with cinematics and such, but you feel engrossed the entire time. The puzzles are definitely there, and in greater number which is always a plus.

Closing: So many critics here reference the first in the series. So, if you enjoyed Portal, and loved the world that it was, its a no brainer that you should pick this title up. If you have not played the first one, try it out and that will be a determining factor to whether or not you would be willing to spend 50$+ on similar, but very enhanced content.
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is simply gorgeous!!! It's full of innovations, it's very very long (I spent 7-8 for single player and 4-5 hours for co-op) and I don't know why there are so many bad reviews, it has a good graphic and an unique plot. For sure all these important details makes it the Game of the Year.
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    FIRSTLY THIS GAME IS AWESOME! I have played the first and the humor and atmosphere is just the perfect mix for some of the best game play ever. I would recommend you read more reviews and get a more non-subjective view as many people are unhappy about certain reasons and taking it out on the game which is a bit unfair. It deserves a 10 and will get one from me.

I know valve did

I know valve did disappoint with the ARG which I might add I participated a lot of time to, but I have to admit it was the only reason I purchased the p0tat0 sack games, of which I have absolutely have no regrets about. The games are worth the money and very fun and I would not have purchased otherwise which is why valve did it (also the money before you criticise me) and I am glad they did it! SO THANKS VALVE FOR THAT OPPORTUNITY! Some games need a bit of support and valve took the initiative in their marketing, albeit they should have explained at least a little with regards to the ARG.

Regarding the DLC, they are SKINS and SUCH are for the robots and not games extensions of any sort!!!!!!!!! So please leave them out of you STUPID reviews! BTW when did the game say MULTIPLAYER at any point? CO-OP game-play is what they said and what it is, this is not a CoD game people please.

Also the game does not take 4 hours to finish which some other silly people have wrote about, it takes over 6 hours+ first play though depending on your skill and intelligence but STEAM is not recording the time properly as mine says 91 minutes where as another program (Raptr) says I have played 7 hours worth ATM, more if you soak up the environment and generally enjoy the game and not just rush through everything like some people.

Also some people are just displeased they could not play the game early and also regarding the price which is area related as the UK price with 20% off was only 24.00 pounds so about $39ish, so do not blame valve for pricing when it is usually dealt with by retailers also valve has to hike prices on the on-line service otherwise it would suffer competition issues with governments!

This is an excellent game and deserves a bit more respect from the non-gamers and people who are just generally critical about anything and everything.
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    First of all I would like to make it clear to those who aren't sure, yes you do HAVE to play Portal before Portal 2! it continues the story and further explores the unique universe introduced in the first game, if you skip it not only do you deny yourself the full dramatic effect of Portal 2, but also COMPLETELY ruin the first game and it's amazing plot twists. Portal 1 is amazing, a greatFirst of all I would like to make it clear to those who aren't sure, yes you do HAVE to play Portal before Portal 2! it continues the story and further explores the unique universe introduced in the first game, if you skip it not only do you deny yourself the full dramatic effect of Portal 2, but also COMPLETELY ruin the first game and it's amazing plot twists. Portal 1 is amazing, a great introduction to portal mechanics, very short, very cheap and lots of people on Steam have gift copies anyway â Expand
  58. Apr 20, 2011
    I felt the need to make an account to say that despite what all the crazies say, this game is phenomenal. I haven't made it all the way through yet and it's already worth the 60 bucks I shelled out for it. The game is beautiful, the story intriguing, and the writing is leaps and bounds better than in the original. It's a game far better than I had imagined, and the expectations were high.I felt the need to make an account to say that despite what all the crazies say, this game is phenomenal. I haven't made it all the way through yet and it's already worth the 60 bucks I shelled out for it. The game is beautiful, the story intriguing, and the writing is leaps and bounds better than in the original. It's a game far better than I had imagined, and the expectations were high. High five, Portal 2. Expand
  59. Apr 20, 2011
    It's a shame a few people who have obviously never played the game that decided to troll have reduced this games score. But the fact that it's still got so many positive reviews shows how many people have enjoyed this game.

True there may be some people who expected the game to be longer, but I think the length is just right. Unless your racing through the game you wont complete it in 4 hours. Hell, I bet you couldn't even if you did race through, so far most people seem to complete it in about 6-8 hours. That's just the single player, the Co-op campaign is all original too and adds around 5 hours of content, or so I've heard, although I've not completed that yet.

The 'dlc' people complain about are all cosmetic and don't effect game play at all, I might be bothered if they were selling extra maps on there on day 1, but they aren't. I bet no one would have minded if these things were never available at all anyway. I sure wouldn't care, but good on Valve if they can make some extra money out of dumb asses. More money to make great games, they are a business at the end of the day. It's not effecting me and the majority of other players, so why complain?

I enjoyed every second of the Single player, there was no need for it to be longer, it would only be more of the same mechanics. They paced the introduction of all of the new mechanics nicely so the gameplay didn't become stale at all. I loved the story, especially the dialogue which was hilarious at times and kept me interested the whole way.
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is an excellent sequel to the already excellent original version. Even though the start was kind of confusing at first, I quickly rolled into the story and got dragged along with it in all its amazing plot-twists and hilarious dialogues. I finished the single-player mode and I have yet to play co-op but I can already say it is truly amazing.
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    This is everything I hoped it would be; the story pulls you along, the characters and dialogue shine, and the puzzles are tremendous fun to work out. Some of them are easy, others challenging.

I haven't finished the game, so I can't speak to its length, but I've put in a solid 4 or 5 hours and I'd guess I'm at the 1/2 point or so. I haven't played the coop yet, but I'm excited to check it out. As a disclaimer, I should point out that I didn't not participate in the controversial ARG, and I doubt I will even look at any skin-related DLC. I imagine much of the controversy on the quality of this game has to do with expectations about early release through buying the bundle. As to the perception that it is a console port, let me make it clear that I have little stomach for console first-person games (I don't own a console, though I do have a 360 controller for my pc for platformers and a few good 3rd person games). I have suffered at the hands of more than a few half-assed console ports (GTA 3 and Deux Ex 2, to name a few) and this has none of that. I would argue that some of the console-induced features, like careful labelling of control instructions, is a good thing and makes the game more fun to play. If you're reading reviews to decide whether to get the game, maybe you should play a friends' copy first. I think that anyone who really enjoyed the first game will find this one satisfying.
  62. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is totally awesome! It's been a loooong time (quoting GlaDOS) since I've played such a great game. It surely doesn't deserve the negative reviews that trollers are giving it. And the end, OMG - it's just perfect. I mean, everybody already knew it was gonna be like this, right? It's Valve. Expand
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    While lacking in absolute perfection, the game is delivered in a highly competent manner, with a compelling storyline, well written (and acted) dialogue, challenging puzzles, and great new features there is really little to complain about.

Reasonably extensive developer commentary, cunningly hidden easter eggs, and the presence of achievements all provide an excuse to replay the game and enjoy the story all over again.

If you value the length of a single player experience above all else, this game may not be for you, as I was able to finish it (although I have not yet managed to find every secret or complete every achievement) within a single day, yet I did not feel that it was too short, it had a story to tell and it did so in a pleasing way.
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    After playing the single player campaign I must say One of the funniest games i have ever played. The story is hilarious and the voice acting is some of the best work i have seen. The puzzles are difficult but ramp up nicely so that your not discouraged. Amazing visuals. A thrill and a joy to play. This is a must buy.
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    The narrative, art, music, and most of all gameplay are top tier stuff, as to be expected from Valve. The game is incredibly polished, the story is subtle, not shoved in your face, but there for you to decode to and piece together - a massive part of the fun of the game is reading signs on the walls, or listening to pre-recorded announcements by a certain Cave Johnson. the depth is insane,The narrative, art, music, and most of all gameplay are top tier stuff, as to be expected from Valve. The game is incredibly polished, the story is subtle, not shoved in your face, but there for you to decode to and piece together - a massive part of the fun of the game is reading signs on the walls, or listening to pre-recorded announcements by a certain Cave Johnson. the depth is insane, the art and level direction is masterful. The humour is spot-on, the puzzles aren't too easy but aren't impossibly hard, either. Portal 2 is to Portal 1 what Assassin's Creed 2 was to Assassin's Creed 2. Taking what was essentially an unpolished, short tech demo and game engine and creating a masterpiece out of it. At the end of Portal 2, despite the game not being the longest out there or the fact that it only has 3 characters including the mute protagonist, I felt as if I'd been on an epic journey, and the sense of relief at the end of the game was an incredible rush, something few games can offer.

Portal 2 is a game of brilliance and uniqueness you will not experience with anything else in the video game medium.
  66. Apr 20, 2011
    The single player portion was fantastic. But to my surprise the co-op us where this game shines. I could have never imagined that playing portal with 2 people would be so fun.
  67. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is a vast improvement on everything from Portal 1.

This game is a vast improvement on everything from Portal 1.

The dialog and story was incredible, the levels were incredible, and the new gels, bridges, lasers, and funnels added much more variety to the puzzles and gameplay itself. The length of 5-8 hours (depending how fast you are) is just perfect considering how far they can stretch the story before it becomes boring and repetetive. But it on Steam to save money and not consoles. This was made for PC.

The only thing that detracts from this wonderful game is the loading screens, hence why I can't give it a 10. I would bash the DLC, but seeing as how you can get everything by achievements and DLC isn't game changing at the moment, then there is absolutely no problem with it.
  68. Apr 20, 2011
    Just fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but sinceJust fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but since all its content is not essential to the gameplay or the levels themselves its just a little gimmick thing for those who want to wear cute little hats on cute little robots and I can't see anyone making a big deal about something as little as that Expand
  69. Apr 20, 2011
    I've never written a review for a game but Portal 2 compels me to. This game is perfect. It is shorter than average. It reminds me how much fun games in this medium can be. It does not waste my time. Some people are upset by this.
  70. Apr 20, 2011
    Love every minute! Multi-player is brilliant!

I have no idea why some people her give the game so much hate. Its a full price title and its worth it.
    For me, so far the game of the year.
  71. Apr 20, 2011
    Briliant game, perfect in almost every way. Great story, characters, design and visuals. I really don't get all the ranting. Let me address the issues:
    1. Game is 4 hours short - now how is that even possible? The game took me 7,5 hours to beat and I was not once stopped on a difficult puzzle...and that is only single-player.
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are just a set of optional hats and gestures. And honestly, if anyone is stupig enough to pay real money for a stupid hat in a game, then that's their problem. Also they are unlockable within the game. Valve never made a payed DLC that was an extension for a game. All updates for TF2 were free, all campaigns for L4D were free. So most likely any extensions for Portal 2 will also be free...
    3. No replay value - really? I assume they got all the achievements, found all the secrets, marvelled at every detail on their first game...good job. I played through Portal 1 at least 4 times and every time it was incredible fun. After beating Portal 2 I got an imidiate urge to play through it again.
    Great game, totally worth the 50$. Really, don't listen to the rants and low scores.
  72. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply Valve's best game ever with brilliant humor and intelligent awesome gameplay. Thanks Valve for making me happy with this secound part of Portal. Even the Coop is awesome which I first had some doubts. Expand
  73. Apr 20, 2011
    Ignore the negative comments. The game is Portal 1 + A ton of new stuff and multilayer. Need I say more? Wait, I will. I've logged 16 hours in Portal 1 and beat it about 5 times during that time frame (I also did the challenge modes). However, I've logged almost as much time (13 hours) in Portal 2. During that I've beaten the single-player campaign and multi-player campaign once each. TheIgnore the negative comments. The game is Portal 1 + A ton of new stuff and multilayer. Need I say more? Wait, I will. I've logged 16 hours in Portal 1 and beat it about 5 times during that time frame (I also did the challenge modes). However, I've logged almost as much time (13 hours) in Portal 2. During that I've beaten the single-player campaign and multi-player campaign once each. The game as a whole is much longer than Portal 1. It's worth the $50 you pay for it. Expand
  74. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some blingAwesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some bling for your robot. Over all, this game is funny, original, and the standard for this type of puzzle game. Sure some of the problems are easy to solve but they don't need to crush peoples spirits to keep the trolls happy with uber hard genius level puzzles do they? I'll likely play this game over and over with my friends and I'd love to play it at some LAN events! Keep it up Valve! :) Expand
  75. Apr 20, 2011
    It's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make youIt's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make you stop and think (while being mocked by the excellent AI's). The entire story, even if attempting to blaze through the game would take 4 hours AT BEST. I ran through it casually in a little over 6 and still feel like I might have missed out on some things. There's a load of new achievements as well that require a fair amount of skill to complete which adds another level of depth to the game, let alone the multiplayer.

If you liked Portal, this game is worth the 45$ on Steam. If you're paying more than that for the game, then it's your problem for not buying it cheaper. It improves and expands on every aspect of the original. People that are all ruffled over the ARG and Potato Sack need to move along, neither of those should affect the rating of the game itself. As an aside, the ARG was all about generating hype (which it did very well, imo) and the Potato Sack supported a load of indie games at a massive discount that I also felt was well worth it.
  76. Apr 20, 2011
    I want also to make this clear,Portal 2 is a great game, The music,the atmosphere ,the game play is superb,Valve Deserves it. I am also very annoyed with people who are giving low scores. This game is great and it will probably be the best game of the year.
  77. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority ofSimply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority of other games out there - this is a diamond in the rough, a shining beacon for our gaming medium. Expand
  78. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters andPortal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters and environment alive.

The gameplay and controls are very polished, as can be expected from a Valve game. Challenges are very close to being the perfect kind of challenging, I think the maximum amount of time I spent being stuck on any given test room was twenty minutes, and it wasn't often. The feeling of satisfaction from beating the puzzles is fantastic, and the pacing of the game is very fluid. The single player took me about eight hours, and while many people claim to have completed it in four I would like to point out that the timer for Steam for Portal 2 is a little off as after my initial three hours of play I decided to take a break and noticed that my Portal 2 timer only said I have been playing nineteen minutes.

I've only played a few chambers of coop, but I have to say that being able to play with a friend is amazing, and the unlockable emoticons, especially the ones that include both of the robots are satisfying to do. GlaDOS isn't lacking in coop either and she'll talk and give little quips about what you're doing and insult you as she normally does with Chell.

My last statement would be that I am a college student and don't have a huge budget for video games, normally I buy bargain bins and Steam sales, but I got sucked into the hype and bought it for PS3 for $60. Of course I'm not saying you should go out and buy it right now, but when you see a price you can afford for the game or have a friend you can borrow it from, then do it because you will not regret it.
  79. Apr 20, 2011
    As any game by Valve, I loved it. Great fun, great story, great voice acting, great graphics (Source Engine still rocks :D )... everything was great about it. It should be given the Game of the Year award.

I was really happy when I saw that glass (broken glass to be precise) finally looked realistic in a Source game, as well as the fact that subtitles/closed captions were finally looking smooth and had a nice font in a Source game. --> if Valve update other source games to also utulize this, I'd be very happy, but probably not... (especially not Source games not made by Valve)

Yeah, yeah there's this whole thing about the in-game Store in CO-OP Mode, the MP part of Portal 2. But that doesn't make me lower my score. It's something Valve decided, some like some don't, but you don't need to buy the extra content to play the game. The player models and maps are there by default. I doubt that skins or hats have much effect on gameplay. Gesture on the other hand MIGHT (--> see TF2 taunts), but all in all seem rather insignificant.

10/10 is my final answer :D
  80. Apr 20, 2011
    I think this is the best game what I played! I can´t understand the negative user score. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing!!!!
    Thank you Valve!!!
  81. Apr 22, 2011
    To help your enjoyment of this review, smooth jazz will be deployed mentally in 3... 2... 1... As somebody who has been playing video and computer games for fifteen years I'm rarely impressed by anything these days, but Portal 2 has been an experience like few others. The pacing of the game is exemplary and the writing had me laughing from start to finish. When the game begins by tellingTo help your enjoyment of this review, smooth jazz will be deployed mentally in 3... 2... 1... As somebody who has been playing video and computer games for fifteen years I'm rarely impressed by anything these days, but Portal 2 has been an experience like few others. The pacing of the game is exemplary and the writing had me laughing from start to finish. When the game begins by telling you what the buttons do it's already deploying its trademark humor, and every character in the game is entertaining in their own way. The animation of all the mechanical elements often reminds one of Pixar movies, as do many scripted parts in their execution.

There are two areas of criticism that this game gets: graphics and length. The graphics aren't as mind-blowing as the rest of the game, but they're not noticeably dated unless you go looking for faults, which can be found in every game. I can't share the complaints about length - Portal 2 has been the best eight hours of gaming I've ever experienced. (Steam under-reports it at only 5h for me - that's probably where a lot of the complaints are coming from...) It doesn't have the length of an open-world game, but it also doesn't have empty traveling and frequent repetition that these games suffer.
  82. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game. I think most people are disappointed because Valve sets the bar so high that it is hard for it to reach expectations. If this were a game from another publisher, people might give higher reviews. It's similar in length to most games these days so I don't see any issue there. It also is much longer that the first game with much more effort put into it so I would say thatGreat game. I think most people are disappointed because Valve sets the bar so high that it is hard for it to reach expectations. If this were a game from another publisher, people might give higher reviews. It's similar in length to most games these days so I don't see any issue there. It also is much longer that the first game with much more effort put into it so I would say that justifies the price. I bought the PC version which is 10 bucks cheaper than the XBOX / PS3 versions so maybe this is why I don't mind as much. As a game, it is very entertaining, pulls you in and makes the user think out the puzzles. Now I am off to start co-op mode! Expand
  83. Apr 20, 2011
    The people here who are rating a this game a 0? Are they even playing the same game I am? Level design is perfect, the voice acting and script are just amazing. I'm 9 hours in and I'm almost done but this game is damn perfect in my book. The co-op is a blast...thank you so much Valve, thank you thank you thank you!
  84. Apr 20, 2011
    Great stuff! The graphics are gorgeous, the audio evocative, the characterbots fun and yes its too short only
    because its so much fun you don't want it to end. It runs very well on my ageing machine: 2.8 gig 32 bit P4,
    4650 ATI (1 gig). With all settings put to max there's no problem. Worth the money!
  85. Apr 20, 2011
    The game is astoundingly well done and despite the fact that the Source engine is nearly a decade old, Portal 2 looks fantastic. Anyone who is reviewing negatively really just wants a soap box to rage on, despite the fact that everyone is going to play it.
  86. Apr 21, 2011
    I must say that at first I was scared for the duration of the game. It is well known that first made â
  87. Apr 20, 2011
    This is my best game ever. I'm a fan of Portal and this new Opus is clearly extremly great.

Good job writing, excellent level design, clever gameplay, good narrative rhythm, and the new character Weatley is extremely well located and efficiently. Only downside : the splashscreen during loading times and loading times too often. But with the quality behind it, we can only forgive him. A

But with the quality behind it, we can only forgive him.

A fine lesson in video games, Makes 99% of production videogame bland in comparison.
  88. Apr 20, 2011
    Definitely Valves best ever game. It uses Portals innovations and genius ideas and expands upon them. Portal looks like a mere test bed now in comparison. Lots of great new features to play around with and a truly compelling storyline. Graphically superior to the original in all aspects. Fantastic voice acting for all the characters, all of which are well developed and have their ownDefinitely Valves best ever game. It uses Portals innovations and genius ideas and expands upon them. Portal looks like a mere test bed now in comparison. Lots of great new features to play around with and a truly compelling storyline. Graphically superior to the original in all aspects. Fantastic voice acting for all the characters, all of which are well developed and have their own distinct personalities. The singleplayer is now 6-8 hours long and takes you through the immense facility that is Aperture Laboratories, showing you varying aspects in the companies development over the years while providing you with unique and mind-boggling tests and levels to solve.

Co-op takes place after singleplayer, and is still very enjoyable. It also takes you through Apertures Labs as you work together under the beady watch of GLaDOS. It includes a simple and easy to use 'Ping' tool for informing your partner, and gestures that can be performed.
    Ignore the negative reviews. This is a true masterpiece on a huge scale. Funny, clever, mindbending - it is an experience you will never forget.
  89. Apr 20, 2011
    Easily one of Valves best efforts yet; Portal 2 does the impossible by vaulting over the insanely high bar set by the original game.

The puzzles and humor remain strong as ever, if not stronger -- but this time adding unnecessary, yet surprisingly well-executed character depth to GLaDOS and fleshing out a little more about Aperture Labs, itself. Complaints about the length of the single player campaign can be easily dismissed, clocking in at seven to nine hours, assuming you possess the skillset to conquer the "science" being done in both the proper test chambers, and elsewhere throughout the facility. While initially I winced upon seeing the Portal sequel copy the "Team Fortress 2" model of in-game purchasable cosmetic $DLC for co-op play, the store is completely optional, and in no way affects the gameplay and story of the title. (In fact, it's trivial to simply dismiss the store entirely: you would miss absolutely nothing, except perhaps leaving you wondering why your random co-op robot partner is wearing a large pair of glasses.) If anything, the presence of the store suggests strongly that Valve probably has plans for Portal 2 far beyond the initial batch of co-op maps. If Team Fortress 2 and the L4D series are anything to go by, we may be willing test subjects for a long, long time.
  90. Apr 20, 2011
    I will join the chorus saying that a lot of the most common complaints about this game are exaggerated, if not outright false. I can understand that many were disappointed in some things, but it's hard to believe that many truly mean the incredibly low scores they have given the game.

To give a short, spoiler-free review and recommendation I would say this: The game is great. The writing, humor, puzzles, new physics elements, characters, voice work and graphics are all very nicely done. I believe that anyone who enjoyed playing the first game will greatly enjoy the time spent playing the second game.

But is it worth the price tag? That's the real question here - because the complaints about the length of the game do have some meat to them. The game isn't very long. Though it seems that Steam's timer is broken and it reports shorter playtime than what people have actually been putting in, you can still finish it in about 7-9 hours, depending on how quick you are in solving puzzles. If you have someone to play with you can add a few hours to that for co-op. And if you (like me) are crazy about Valve's excellent Director's Commentary, another couple of hours of enjoyment to go around listening to that.

All in all not a super short game (certainly not a mini-game like some reviews have called it) but it can definitely seem on the short side for the price tag. I don't think a game should be counted purely in hours though - the quality is definitely high in Portal 2's playtime, even if the quantity is a bit on the low side. Valve has as usual spent a lot of time and effort on playtesting, giving us an experience that is thoroughly refined. This is something I will always value higher than churning out as many levels/puzzles/maps as possible before release day.

So if you're like me and enjoy a high quality experience and have the money to spare, I do recommend it. If you feel that a full-price game needs to be longer to be worth it, I don't hesitate in recommending you to rather buy another, longer game now. As we all very well know, any game on Steam is liable to experience a huge drop in price at a sale sooner or later, so if you think the price tag is too high I'm certain that a lower price tag is waiting for you.

Now, regarding some of the other complaints in other reviews:

1) "In-game store is just inflating the price even higher!": Yes, Valve is selling useless DLC-content in an in-game store, just like they do in TF2. And just like in TF2 you are perfectly free to ignore that content. I will certainly not spend any money on it and you don't have to either - so the people tallying the DLC-content into the cost of the game are frankly just being silly.

2) "It's a worthless console port!": This was a complaint I was really surprised at. I was counting on people complaining about the price, length and store - but I do not get the idea that the PC/Mac-versions are bad console ports. The computer gaming market has (most unfortunately) been flooded with bad console ports of games for a long time now, and this really doesn't feel like one. Bad console ports are usually plagued by three things: Bad controls, stupid systems to save your game and sometimes really bad graphics. I do not see any of that in Portal 2. The graphics are, in my opinion, superb. The controls are just like the controls in any other Valve-FPS, not the crappy "gamepad oriented" controls we see in bad console ports. And you can save where you want, there is even a quicksave-button and none of those outdated checkpoint-systems that often plague console games. 3) "Argh, the stupid ARG was stupid and expensive too!": The complaints about Valve's pre-release-thing (with the whole Alternate Reality Game and indie-game-pack) are mostly nonsensical as well. Many say that the "potato hunt" and everything was just a silly marketing stunt. Which should only merit the response "Well, duh, what did you think?" Of course it was a marketing stunt! But it was also a fun event. A lot of us fans of strange indie-games already owned some of the games involved in the stunt and got some extra content and extra challenges to do, plus there was a huge sale on some great games. All in all a fun time to play games with some added challenges and collaborate for the silly project of getting Portal 2 released a few hours early. If you don't like that sort of thing you were not in any way, shape or form forced to participate, but I had a lot of fun.

Some people are again adding to the price tag of the game, including the indie games from the "potato sack" in the price for Portal 2 - which is again just silly. You were not required to buy them and if you did buy them without wanting them you have nobody to blame but yourself. I for one bought the ones that I already wanted, and enjoyed the discount - so no extra money spent there.
  91. Apr 20, 2011
    Money well spent, truly enjoyed the entire game. The co-op just made everything a lot more fun, especially if you play it with a friend. Valve really outdid themselves!
  92. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is brilliant. Its puzzles remain world-class, its sense of humor poignant and sharp, and it's beautiful to behold. It is a rather short game, but I would prefer a short experience that exceeded my expectations than a long, drawn-out, dull one. And replay value lives on as I will, most certainly, complete the game several times.

And this is before I've even started the

And this is before I've even started the co-operative play.

Bottom line: Buy it. A great title by a great company!
  93. Apr 20, 2011
    This review is meant for those who waited to see the reaction before buying this game. Coming from a dedicated PC gamer who has played a large assortment of games of every type, I will tell you that Portal 2 is something special. Where the first game taught us to think with portals, this game perfects the original formula, and also gives players a new set of testing mechanics. ThroughThis review is meant for those who waited to see the reaction before buying this game. Coming from a dedicated PC gamer who has played a large assortment of games of every type, I will tell you that Portal 2 is something special. Where the first game taught us to think with portals, this game perfects the original formula, and also gives players a new set of testing mechanics. Through it all, Portal 2 is the most polished PC game I have ever played, and manages to look amazing while continuing the snarky, funny, amazing storyline that was set up by its predecessor.

Reasons to Play:

Story: Aperture Science has changed, but Valve's commitment to immersive gaming remains at the forefront.
    Dialog: Following an act like Glados was a hard thing to do. No game could really have matched the original game, but the successor appropriately followed it up, and drove home the fact that you never left Aperture Science, and that they are still the strange, hilarious, OSHA violating people you knew and loved, and their announcements still show it handily.
    GFX: Portal was pretty in its own way, but a limited team and limited time translated to limited resources to work with, so complaints of monotony arose. There is no such problem here. Aperture Science looks wonderful, in its own crumbling, disastrous way. In my opinion, a decrepit research facility has never looked more beautiful.

Addressing complaints:
    Length: The single player campaign lasted me 8 hours, and should easily last most people at least 7. That is the single player section of the game, and I have yet to try Cooperative. That's the length of the original several times over, yet people are complaining loudly about this. Part of the reason, and my reason to laugh at people like this, is addressed in the next section.
    Price: At $45 Steam preorder, Portal 2 wasn't a cheap game. Still, there are several things that should be noted here. Take the original Modern Warfare. It took me 5 hours my first playthrough, and yet it sold for pretty much the same price as far as I remember, and no one complained as loudly or unjustly as people have here. In the end, Portal 2 is not as long as something like Half-Life 2, but keep in mind, few people actually do make games of that length. Guess which company is one of the few who have done so lately? Valve, right...

Buy Portal 2. If $50 is asking a bit much, wait for December. If Valve follows their pattern (ie, L4D, L4D2), it will probably drop to $20 semipermanently around that point. Of course, by then it will probably be hopelessly spoiled for you... At any rate, it's worth it.
  94. Apr 20, 2011
    To me Portal 2 was great! Single player had a great storyline and a nice little twist. I am a big fan of Adventure, Action and storyline games! Multilayer will really tests you and your friends hard when it comes to some challenges.
  95. Apr 20, 2011
    The co-op campaign is awesome, but a bit short. Great story and dialog. Builds on the creepiness and humor of the original. Will likely be playing this one again and again.
  96. Apr 20, 2011
    All I can say is that Portal 2 is a very pleasurable game to play! It's funny,challenging(sometimes easy).
    But I thank valve for not making it a low quality console game port for PC gamers! I don't regret buying this game. And the fact that Valve will release mods tools for it will make this game more amazing!
    Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air in an industry full of call of duty wanna

Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air in an industry full of call of duty wanna be's & gives us a FPS that's completely different from anything else!! A Puzzle shooter..

Also why are people mentioning Dragon Lame 2? When The Witcher 2 will stomp it on may 17th?

Valve knows how to make a fun game that is why Dota 2 get's me excited!

But anyway no game is perfect but Portal 2 is good in my book! I'll give it a great score..
  97. Apr 20, 2011
    Worth $40 in my book (I pre-ordered and split a 2 pack on steam), not quite worth the full $50 unless you really feel like giving valve your money.

The game itself improves on the gameplay of portal and valve manages to cram a huge amount of back story into a series that previously had none. The game is quite a bit longer than portal and the co-op is a nice addition but being a

The game is quite a bit longer than portal and the co-op is a nice addition but being a "puzzle"game it doesn't have that much replay value. Being that this is a single player focused game, valve really should have bundled something with it to make it more worthwhile over the long run, maybe a competitive multiplayer mode of some sort.

Graphics wise, portal 2 isnt nearly as shiny as some other games on the market, but who cares,? The game is well polished, looks pretty good and will run at high framerates even on relatively dated hardware.

Oh and all the trolls who have been writing low reviews should shut up, the "DLC" is a bunch of OPTIONAL skins and emotes that are not required. If you require non essential skins and emotes to play portal 2, you need help, cause you compulsively spend money for no reason.
    DLC system is no different from TF2, actually IMO is better cause you cant buy weapons or anything that changes your stats!
  98. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is, unlike what many say, a fantastic game. Maybe its sort. Nah. This game is 12-20 hours long if you count the coop. I completed games just as quickly and more costly. Plus for the game it is and the storyline its perfect. The only way they could make the game longer is way more test chambers. Then it would be repetitive and not as good. Then the difficulty is also all right.This game is, unlike what many say, a fantastic game. Maybe its sort. Nah. This game is 12-20 hours long if you count the coop. I completed games just as quickly and more costly. Plus for the game it is and the storyline its perfect. The only way they could make the game longer is way more test chambers. Then it would be repetitive and not as good. Then the difficulty is also all right. Not too hard not too easy. Players of the first Portal will find most of it easy but im sure VALVe will do something for us there. Coop is also very nice. There isn't a single chamber that you can solve alone. Maybe only one has to place Portals sometimes but your partner will need to do something else to clear a chamber. About the Store I have no problems with it. It doesn't affect game play after all. Plus im sure that is not the DLC VALVe was talking about. Im sure we will get more test chambers (especially for players of first Portal that taught that Portal 2 was easy) in the future for free. And don't forget we are still waiting for the SDK to make our own maps. The story is just comical and awesome. Plus a few plot twists here and there. I however give this 9/10 since they just had to give us TF2 Hats to ruin the art style... Expand
  99. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Without a doubt a 10/10 game. Portal 2 was a fantastic game with great gameplay, story, and voice acting. Furthermore, you don't have to be a twitchy finger FPS fan to love it.

First the gameplay:
    If you enjoyed the puzzles of Portal 1, than Portal 2 will be a seamless fit. The game offers much of the same puzzle mechanisms from the original, but also adds in plenty of new features as the game progresses. Different gels each with their own unique properties; light bridges which sometimes act as make-shift walls; a new box for redirecting lasers; and a tractor beam. With all these new features there were times I even forgot I had a portal gun.

The difficulty will vary from person to person. For me, the difficulty felt hard enough to offer many challenges. Some puzzles had me scratching my head for 10-15 minutes. However, it never felt too overwhelming. Those who played Portal 1 and other puzzle games will have an easier time moving through the game, while beginners may be in for a longer experience. In the sequal There was much less reliance on perfectly timing your portals with quick fingers, and more time devoted to thinking it out and executing it.

The Story:
    The story over all was excellent. Through out most of the game it played out in an engaging and timely fashion. The writing was top notch, and it didn't really feel dull. My only complaint about the game was the transition from the new facility to the older facility. It felt like it dragged on a little bit in the middle. However, the game picked up in the third and final part of the game so it's not a major problem.

Voice Acting:
    Voice acting for the 3 Non Playable Characters was excellent. They are what made the story as enjoyable as it was. Fans of Portal 1 will love GLADOS. Her passive aggressive comments to the main character and her "straight-man" role with Wheatly was spot on. Speaking of Wheatly, he is a bumbling and moronic AI who is absolutely hilarious throughout the entire game. He made me laugh through most of the game. He's voiced by a British comedian, but I can't remember his name. Finally Cave Johnson is voiced by JJ Jameson in the Spiderman movies. Both personalities are the same, so you get the picture.

If you're a fan of puzzle games and you enjoy witty dialogue, Portal 2 is a must buy.
  100. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great game with hilarious dialog. The DLC is all of non game changing value. It's simply cosmetic and there's absolutely no reason to get upset over it.

I enjoyed every second of play I had with this game and will continue to enjoy it as I did the original Portal.

1. Pelit (Finland)