Portal 2 PC

9.0

1. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is definitely worth the money. The story feels fresh and fun. This isn't portal 1.5 this is a true sequel to one of the greatest games ever made. Between the co-op and the single player you're going to get somewhere between 10 to 16 hours of some of the best crafted levels in gaming history. A lot of people complain about the cash shop. At first glance I thought it was perhaps aThis game is definitely worth the money. The story feels fresh and fun. This isn't portal 1.5 this is a true sequel to one of the greatest games ever made. Between the co-op and the single player you're going to get somewhere between 10 to 16 hours of some of the best crafted levels in gaming history. A lot of people complain about the cash shop. At first glance I thought it was perhaps a bit of a crock, but since then I've learned that most of the items can be unlocked (already earned 2 myself). It's all just cosmetic stuff anyway. Looking forward to the years of support and free levels this game will receive from Valve. Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    A stunning experience. Ingeniously planned and beautifully crafted, Portal 2 captivated me from the first minute. Even though the difficulty is only slightly above average in general, I sometimes scratched my head in puzzlement because I overlooked the easier and more obvious solutions for some levels. The voice acting is superb, the hidden easter eggs worth looking for and he storylineA stunning experience. Ingeniously planned and beautifully crafted, Portal 2 captivated me from the first minute. Even though the difficulty is only slightly above average in general, I sometimes scratched my head in puzzlement because I overlooked the easier and more obvious solutions for some levels. The voice acting is superb, the hidden easter eggs worth looking for and he storyline stringent and refreshing.

This is a 10/10 game in my book. BUT since Valve decided to become a complete money-whore with A) the ridiculous potato-sack ARG , B) the price tag of 50 **** Euros and most of all C) the shameless introduction of the absolutely retarded In-Game-Shop (I should pay for skins and animations? Are you **** kidding me Valve?), I will have to deduct at least 1 point, because only one of those points actually relates to the game itself, the other two just make me angry *wrrrrrrrr*

Nine points then.
  3. Apr 21, 2011
    Great characters, creative narrative, and excellent gameplay. What more could you want? I've been waiting for this game ever since I saw the first 15 minutes of gameplay, and was NOT disappointed.
  4. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve did it again. They have showed the world how incredible great they can produce Story, game play, Graphics and feeling. But we all knew this already. Valve always makes great games. But i cant believe that im impressed this fu**** hard AGAIN. Everything thing fits together here. Story, characters, humor, feeling, atmosphere. This Game was awesome and I can just recommend it toValve did it again. They have showed the world how incredible great they can produce Story, game play, Graphics and feeling. But we all knew this already. Valve always makes great games. But i cant believe that im impressed this fu**** hard AGAIN. Everything thing fits together here. Story, characters, humor, feeling, atmosphere. This Game was awesome and I can just recommend it to everyone out there, Portal 2 is a game you shouldn't miss. Expand
  5. 2tm
    Apr 21, 2011
    I was very impressed with Portal 2, pretty much all of the quips I had with the original game were fixed. The only thing I didn't like about Portal 2 is that the portals have their outlines visible through walls and I had to set a command line parameter to turn that off.
  6. Apr 21, 2011
    Without a doubt in my mind does this game live up to the sequel. It's out right hilarious, the puzzles are genuinely fun to work on, the story is great, the graphics are fantastic, the sound is perfectly placed, and I was literally smiling the entire way through the game (except a few puzzles that had me stumped for a bit ;) ). Anyone reading the user reviews should see that most of theWithout a doubt in my mind does this game live up to the sequel. It's out right hilarious, the puzzles are genuinely fun to work on, the story is great, the graphics are fantastic, the sound is perfectly placed, and I was literally smiling the entire way through the game (except a few puzzles that had me stumped for a bit ;) ). Anyone reading the user reviews should see that most of the negative ones are for silly, stupid reasons that aren't based on the actual game. THE GAME is fantastic, and that is what a review should be on. Enjoy ^_^ Expand
  7. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 built his foundation on the original game and it's perfectly right to be doing so. It remain loyal to the original while aiming in new directions. The story took a big leap, the atmosphere took a big leap, etc. The main problem that I have with the game is that it also built itself too likely to the original on one aspect. Portal was a proof of concept. It was short and justPortal 2 built his foundation on the original game and it's perfectly right to be doing so. It remain loyal to the original while aiming in new directions. The story took a big leap, the atmosphere took a big leap, etc. The main problem that I have with the game is that it also built itself too likely to the original on one aspect. Portal was a proof of concept. It was short and just showed the capacities of the concept. Before I go on, let me point out I've only played single player. Portal 2 on the other hand, keeps those foundations and this valid concept and expands it adding new features like the gel, the plates and such. The downside is that these features feel like they weren't fully explored. It still feels like a lot of these could have offered more from the start. This also brings the fact that the game feels short. I won't blame them too much for this since making it longer would have caused some down times on the story affecting it's perfect pacing.

On and on, it just feels that at launch, Portal 2 offers use but a tease of what all these new features together could bring to the franchise. Knowing Valve, they'll probably release free expansions after a few months. Still, very good game and it's impressive the amount of content packed in those 5-6 hours it might get you to complete. Definitely a must buy
  8. Apr 21, 2011
    This very well could be a contender for the best Valve game ever made and that's quite the compliment considering Valve's excellent track record. Portal 2 surpasses it's fantastic predecessor in every way possible, better story and characters, better level design, better puzzles, and better visuals. Valve did a great job with the dialogue and humor in this game also, I can't remember theThis very well could be a contender for the best Valve game ever made and that's quite the compliment considering Valve's excellent track record. Portal 2 surpasses it's fantastic predecessor in every way possible, better story and characters, better level design, better puzzles, and better visuals. Valve did a great job with the dialogue and humor in this game also, I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at a video game. The PC version is basically flawless, it plays silky smooth at maxed out settings on my PC and it looks great. I'm also glad to see that there's plenty of video and control options to mess around with in the PC version. With so many games nowadays shipping with bare bones PC support, Valve continues to demonstrate the correct way to handle PC support.

This honestly would have been the perfect game if it was just a bit longer, I beat the single player campaign in around 8 hours. Sure, 8 hours is the average length for a FPS nowadays but this game is so much fun that you can't help but want to spend more time with it.

One last complaint would be the expensive DLC. There's a store where you can purchase little aesthetic add-ons for your co-op bots but there's really no reason a single hat should cost $3. That being said, I have no doubts that Valve will eventually give us ways to get the DLC for free. They've been very generous in the past with free DLC for games like TF2 and L4D, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with Portal 2 for now.

But I still think this game deserves a 10/10 even considering it's very few flaws because Valve does so much right it would be an injustice not to give them the highest praise possible. More developers should put this amount of love into their products, the video game industry would be much better off!
  9. Apr 21, 2011
    I was afraid. The original Portal was incredible not only because of its innovative gameplay and GLaDOS's wit but because of the way it completely blindsided me with a truck full of awesome that I never saw coming. We knew there were portals, but what we didn't expect was the personality. Even the CREDITS were amazing.

But with the opportunity to surprise replaced with the burden of

But with the opportunity to surprise replaced with the burden of expectation, how on earth could a sequel even hope to match this experience?

Leave it to Valve Software. What was lost in freshness was made up for tenfold with superb characters, hilarious writing, and the most incredible dynamic environments ever seen in a video game. The environments... My God... If the Source engine still looks this good and can be this flexible six years after its introduction, everyone in charge of developing it should get a Nobel Prize.

I don't think there is another development house in existence that could have pulled it off. All hail Valve, Portal 2 is awesome, go get it.
  10. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 definitely is the best game of the year. I don't agree on it being the best game ever made nor being better than Half-Life series, but it surely is a must have.
    The graphics powered by Source Engine 2, although they aren't as great as some of the nowadays games, have an extraordinary physics capability: The fluids seems to be real.
    It's not a childish, not a quick game: Took me
    It's not a childish, not a quick game: Took me 7 hours to complete it, and it remembered me sometimes Half-Life.
    The console port can not be as the PC, but for the PC version, the game is a perfect ten: Sound, Graphics Physics and Engine, Gameplay, Controls, Controller Support, Compatibility, everything is great.
  11. Apr 21, 2011
    The people complaining about this game were probably too dumb to figure out the first Wheatly puzzle. Portal 2 is a superb game, utterly charming and hilarious. It beautifully expands on the story in the first game and gives you the history of Aperture Science and the origins of GlaDOS while taking you on a fantastic journey. Portal games are unique in all of gamedom and are wonderfulThe people complaining about this game were probably too dumb to figure out the first Wheatly puzzle. Portal 2 is a superb game, utterly charming and hilarious. It beautifully expands on the story in the first game and gives you the history of Aperture Science and the origins of GlaDOS while taking you on a fantastic journey. Portal games are unique in all of gamedom and are wonderful unless you are a bitter troll who can't think with portals. Expand
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is incredible. If you played the original Portal - and enjoyed every minute of it, wanted more and was excited when the sequal was announced. This game is for you. Without spoiling the experience for you, all I can say is Portal 2 will not leave you hanging - the story ties up nicely. Plus the world, and the levels are incredibly detailed. This is the game you have been waiting for.
  13. Apr 21, 2011
    This was a great game, and if you took the buy 2 deal steam had going on, it only cost you 40 bucks split between friends. Now it only took me 12 hours total to complete the coop and single player campaign, but i enjoyed every second of it. The humor was supered, the coop made for excellent game play between me and my friend. I do fault valve for the pointless store, and the exorbitantThis was a great game, and if you took the buy 2 deal steam had going on, it only cost you 40 bucks split between friends. Now it only took me 12 hours total to complete the coop and single player campaign, but i enjoyed every second of it. The humor was supered, the coop made for excellent game play between me and my friend. I do fault valve for the pointless store, and the exorbitant amount of money little trinkets on your robots cost.They should've follow the tf2 model, and had there be random drops for completing levels or something akin to that, along with the store. The coop campaign is far too short for that crap to really matter anyways. Hopefully they add more levels to it, because as it is now, i probably wont play the game again for a long while. Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2011
    BEST game I've ever played!
    And the thing that adds a lot more to the fun, is the fact that its not over!
    Why not? Because the Portal 2 SDK will release soon, means a lot of people will make maps!
    For Single player or Co op! THE END NEVER ENDS :)
  15. Apr 23, 2011
    Amazing game. Portal 2 brings so many ways to have fun. Offline Co-op, Online Co-op, and single player game modes. I have to say, the co-op part of the game makes the game amazing and fun. It is very gratifying to complete a level you worked on with a friend for an extended period of time. Being new to the portal scene, I am completely impressed by what Valve has to offer. At no point hasAmazing game. Portal 2 brings so many ways to have fun. Offline Co-op, Online Co-op, and single player game modes. I have to say, the co-op part of the game makes the game amazing and fun. It is very gratifying to complete a level you worked on with a friend for an extended period of time. Being new to the portal scene, I am completely impressed by what Valve has to offer. At no point has a challenege become frustraitingly hard and they are very enjoyable. The game also has a good sense of humor with the jokes it tells you from start to finish. Overall the game is refreshing, and a venture into a game I normally would not buy. I was plesantly surprised by the amount of fun that can be had from this game. But no game is perfect and now it is time to move into the cons section.

Cons:
    -Graphically, I feel like valve could have done a better job. I know it is a sci-fi futurisitc game, but there were times I caught myself looking at the game thinking how this game could look better in many places. -The game is short. Almost as short as my previous sentence. For a 60$ game, you get about 5-10 hours of play. With the total hours of gameplay for all games going up. I feel like Valve could have included more puzzles. HOWEVER. This can be fixed by valve with a patch, or DLC. in which case would help the game and would get rid of this con all-together. Final Opinion:
    Valve dilivers a very strong entry to the puzzle solving first-person shooter scene. Graphics take away from the game a tiny amount. But never enough to be a deal breaker. The game is fun, and regardless of the graphics when you are having fun who cares? The length of the game is what really hurts it the most, but the saving grace of this game is it's multiplayer content. Multiplayer gives this game just enough replay value to make it somewhat worth the 60$ price tag. With hope being held out for DLC or a patch with new puzzles to solve, this can be a herdle that Valve can overcome. If this does come true, I will raise the score to 9/10. But until then, the game gets rated.....

Final Score:
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    All that was great about Portal with new puzzlements to mix it up, and an awesome co-op mode. Delves deeper into the background of Aperture Science while exploring a much larger portion of the facility. I meant to only play half an hour before going to bed on the night it was released, but instead ended up playing a few hours into the middle of the night. Single player took about 6 hoursAll that was great about Portal with new puzzlements to mix it up, and an awesome co-op mode. Delves deeper into the background of Aperture Science while exploring a much larger portion of the facility. I meant to only play half an hour before going to bed on the night it was released, but instead ended up playing a few hours into the middle of the night. Single player took about 6 hours to complete, and I am now replaying with developer commentary. Expand
  17. Apr 21, 2011
    I've been playing video games for a long time. They used to have this amazing spark for me, something that went off inside. First game that ever did this for me: The Legend of Zelda. But, nowadays, not only do I know how games work, being an Indie Game Developer and all, but people so often cannot capture that same feeling I used to get from the Zelda franchise (which also might explainI've been playing video games for a long time. They used to have this amazing spark for me, something that went off inside. First game that ever did this for me: The Legend of Zelda. But, nowadays, not only do I know how games work, being an Indie Game Developer and all, but people so often cannot capture that same feeling I used to get from the Zelda franchise (which also might explain why I love Puzzle games so much). But, I just played Portal 2, and I felt that same spark I did so many years ago. It was almost nostalgic for me, but at the same time so new as well. It was absolutely like no game I have ever played, save for the original Portal, of course. But it was also so much better than the original as well. Actually, as soon as I had beaten Portal, I knew that if they ever released a sequel, that I would buy it, without a doubt. I would do the same if they ever released a Portal 3 as well. To start off, I'll tell you about the Multiplayer. It's mostly a really good experience, but only if you play it with a friend, and not a stranger. You play as two robots, Atlas, a shorter bot who's body looks like that of one of GLaDOS' cores, and P-body who's favors one of the turrets. Each player has their own set of Portals. Red and Orange, Blue (or purple, to me) and Light-blue. I only have a couple of gripes about it. One is that sometimes, I really don't want to do a gesture (gestures can be performed at anytime throughout co-op and some involve both players), and it can get vaguely annoying when my team-mate continuously performs them and I get forced into high-fives and such. But, that usually isn't too much of a problem. Throughout Co-operative play GLaDOS guides you once more, constantly noting on how horrible (and fat) humans are, among other well written and flavorful bits of dialogue. The puzzles themselves are quite nice, and get progressively more difficult, but never too difficult. Something that is even better in Co-op than in Single Player is the "AH-ha!" moment. (This is the moment of sudden realization when you've been working on a puzzle for a while) The reason this moment is heightened in multiplayer is that you get to experience it with a friend, and that's when the gestures are really the most fun to perform, in the excitement of having solved a puzzle. Also, my only other thing I didn't like about Co-op is that it was so terribly short. Only about 2-4 hours of game-play. I understand Valve's reasoning behind this, just testing the waters to see how Co-op would go over with the fans. I, personally say that, if Valve makes a Portal 3, Co-op campaign should definitely be just as long as Single Player. I'd like to point out at this time, if it wasn't apparent already, that Multiplayer Campaign and Single Player Campaign are totally separate in their story. Now, I'll carry on with the review of the Single Player.

Ah, Single Player. Truly the most amazing thing I've ever seen developed by Valve (And they've put out some pretty amazing games) and possibly one of the most amazing games I've ever seen. One the most amazing puzzle games I've ever played. First, you start off in your "suspension" room and are awakened for your "exercise" which consists of you looking up and down. Then, in an unspecified amount of time in the future, what seems to be many, many years later, you're awakened by the bot created to attend the humans in suspension, Wheatley. You're in a decrepit old Aperture that's obviously been out of commission for a long time. You make your way through the first few old test chambers from the original Portal. Your friendly - yet slightly moronic - companion leads you on up to GLaDOS' lair, in which a very terrible mishap transpires. As you traverse through the game, all of the characters are well written and unique, the puzzles intriguing, innovative, and fresh. The characters all have their own quirks that keep the game comedic to the perfect amount. The game doesn't drag things out or leave them too shortly. It builds upon ideas it puts in your head earlier on in the game to build on the puzzle solving aspects, and the story always keeps you wanting more. There are several jaw-dropping plot twists as well. All in all, one of the best games I have EVER played, and I suggest it to anybody who enjoys video games and good, well written comedy.

As a final note, I'd like to say that, even though the game was longer than the original, and I'm thankful for that, I still wish it had been just a little bit longer. And, that I think there should be a Portal 3, without a doubt. The only reason I put a 9 and not a 10 is because of the length of the game.
  18. Oct 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this is a review for portal 2. it is a video game where things happen and some things that do not happen. it was okay. i would say that it was a video game. Expand
  19. Apr 21, 2011
    This is a great game, it makes a nice change not to killing everything in sight. However the single player game only took me 7 hours to complete and some of that was spent trying to get around a bug in chapter 6 that saw the cut scene work but then I couldn't move. Most of the puzzles are fairly straight forward but one or two require some thought. Once it hits the 10GBP mark it will be aThis is a great game, it makes a nice change not to killing everything in sight. However the single player game only took me 7 hours to complete and some of that was spent trying to get around a bug in chapter 6 that saw the cut scene work but then I couldn't move. Most of the puzzles are fairly straight forward but one or two require some thought. Once it hits the 10GBP mark it will be a worth it, but at the fll price sorry not enough there for the price when you compare to games such as oblivion that eat in to the 100 hours of game play for similar money it just doesn't represent good value. Unless all the DLC is going to be free which is more unlikely Stoke winning the FA cup. Expand
  20. Apr 21, 2011
    A fantastic game. While neither are particularly long, the co-op campaign is about 5 hours long and the single-player campaign is longer than that. The puzzles are nicely varied and suitably difficult, and the story is surprisingly rich and twisting.
  21. Apr 21, 2011
    exellent game, worth its price at 37,99 euro, its alot longer than portal 1, it has more story , including a funny multiplayer coop mode! that extens the single player story, with the past game updates by valve, portal 2 might well get more levels, and more fun later down the road!

with SteamPlay you also get the PC & MAC Version, if you buy it for PS3 you also get SteamPlay valve also

valve also allows you to backup the game, something not every developer allows for :)
  22. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is a great game for someone who has never played portal or just entering this genre of game. I could see you playing well over 10 hours for single player and a few less for co-op. If you are use to this genre or played Portal 1 than this game will disappoint you. I beat the game in just over 5 hours without trying to rush. The story was great and funny while it lasted and it tiedThis game is a great game for someone who has never played portal or just entering this genre of game. I could see you playing well over 10 hours for single player and a few less for co-op. If you are use to this genre or played Portal 1 than this game will disappoint you. I beat the game in just over 5 hours without trying to rush. The story was great and funny while it lasted and it tied up a bunch of holes in the original which made me feel like it was work it. As I have said if you have never played portal before than this will be a very enjoyable game full of humor, if not than little more than the story will entertain you.

Warning: This game feels slightly like it was designed for the Console in mind. There is plenty of loading screens almost after every level. I feel this game was not designed for the people who really wanted it and I am hoping that valve will redeem themselves soon.
  23. Apr 21, 2011
    Between its impeccable polish, incredible voice acting and ability to entertain throughout there is very little to like. I mean honestly, if outstanding production values, clever puzzles, and innovative puzzles are all a game can offer, why bother. Seriously, everything about this game screams failure to launch. Yeah, you guessed it, I hate quality products, in fact the only thing IBetween its impeccable polish, incredible voice acting and ability to entertain throughout there is very little to like. I mean honestly, if outstanding production values, clever puzzles, and innovative puzzles are all a game can offer, why bother. Seriously, everything about this game screams failure to launch. Yeah, you guessed it, I hate quality products, in fact the only thing I hate more is when a company lives up to the hype that they create around a video game that is second to none. So in conclusion I hate this game, and if the aforementioned things are things that you actually like, then go a head by all means buy it, otherwise avoid it like the plague.

As an aside, i bought the potato pack, played the ARG and loved every friggin second of it. Don't believe anyone who says all the die hard guys are mad, cause I couldn't be more pleased with valve and their ode to gamers.
  24. Apr 21, 2011
    I would use one word to describe this game: professional. It is hard to come by a complete "package" these days when you look at the games out there. Valve has made a game that is not only fun, it is fun in the sense that the whole game actually feels finished and complete. By that I mean there were no bugs I noticed, the graphics settings I did not need to adjust (even though I looked atI would use one word to describe this game: professional. It is hard to come by a complete "package" these days when you look at the games out there. Valve has made a game that is not only fun, it is fun in the sense that the whole game actually feels finished and complete. By that I mean there were no bugs I noticed, the graphics settings I did not need to adjust (even though I looked at the options since I have been trained to do this by other games), the whole game just felt finished and polished and it was really a complete game. On top of that there is the great story, great characters, the amazing graphics and entertaining puzzles. The industry really needs to take a look at Valve's example and put out games that are actually complete and as well thought out as Portal 2.

I don't even feel like the DLC hats detract from the game. Since I don't think that those types of micro-transactions are going to go away, Valve does a good job with them by making them unimportant cosmetic additions instead of taking actual chunks of gameplay out like some other companies. When I reflect on Portal 2, I can't help but think that the industry would be so much better off if it followed Valve's philosophy in game development. I suggest you go out and play it, see for yourself what all the buzz is really about.
  25. Apr 21, 2011
    Loved the single player. Great dialogue and witty humor is a huge plus. The game kept up a great pace because of it's great story and interesting mechanics. The co-op is also great. It gives the opportunity to keep playing amazing portal based puzzles that made you fall in love with the first Portal. That and GladOS's superb dialogue.
  26. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the best game out there. So far the story is amazing and I don't want to spoil you with anything. Just enjoy your ride through the Aperture facilities and try to find your way out of this mess. Only 3 games could be better in the future: Episode Three, Mass Effect 3 and Half-Life 3 :D
  27. Apr 21, 2011
    People need to get over themselves. This is an amazing game. Well worth the money. Not everybody is as smart as you and can beat the game in 4-5 hours. Some people actually like to listen to the dialogue and look around for secret rooms and other things like that. There are secret rooms, you know? All I'm saying is the people complaining about the price or complaining that it's too short,People need to get over themselves. This is an amazing game. Well worth the money. Not everybody is as smart as you and can beat the game in 4-5 hours. Some people actually like to listen to the dialogue and look around for secret rooms and other things like that. There are secret rooms, you know? All I'm saying is the people complaining about the price or complaining that it's too short, GET OVER YOURSELVES! If you truly believe you can make a better game, then do it! Expand
  28. Apr 21, 2011
    I can't believe people are rating this game down because of the dlc. It adds no content to the game except for person aesthetics in multiplayer. Portal 2 was a phenomenal game. It made the first one, which was also phenomenal, average by comparison. If you are unhappy with the dlc, don't buy it. Your game won't change one bit.
  29. Apr 21, 2011
    Don't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and IDon't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and I never had to think about it more than some minutes. And 6 hours of fun for that price is definitively not enough. Expand
  30. Apr 21, 2011
    What can i say? I loved every second of it. From a big fan of the original i had very high expectations and they were surpassed. the characters were genius and the puzzles were extremely difficult at parts. it took me about an hour just to figure out one. But even inexperienced players will soon get the hang of it as the tutorial is quite slow if your learning but can be rushed through ifWhat can i say? I loved every second of it. From a big fan of the original i had very high expectations and they were surpassed. the characters were genius and the puzzles were extremely difficult at parts. it took me about an hour just to figure out one. But even inexperienced players will soon get the hang of it as the tutorial is quite slow if your learning but can be rushed through if you know what you are doing. I loved the humour in the game, it is one of the only games to use humour and had me laughing every time dialog came up in the game. All the new features are greatly thought up to add more puzzling situations for more advanced players. I wont go into a lot of detail as i don't want to spoil anything for the readers. I greatly enjoyed the gameplay and trying to get some of the achievements. I would not recommend watching walkthroughs as they ruin the fun of being stuck and finally getting through certain parts. Valve did a great job and i'm massively hoping for a trilogy.

So far ive completed Single player mode taking me about 10 hours overall. tomorrow i'm starting the co-op which i am such will be fun as me and my friend are going to splitscreen it. Hope this helps any readers who are considering to buy. I greatly recommend it.
  31. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the perfect game. With good story and (for me) best than every byte of Half-Life. And those who gives low notes, stop. The only thing that make me so happy is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. A perfect 10.0.

10.0
  32. Apr 21, 2011
    I think Valve hit the nail again. This is a sheer unique and innovate title that does it all. It's funny, smart and the voices by Merchant (Wheatley), and Mcclain (Glados) compounds to the brilliance of Portal 2. Also, the storyline is well written and definitely hooks you to the game. As for the length, I'd say you are probably looking at about 8-10 hours of campaign, and then 5-6 hoursI think Valve hit the nail again. This is a sheer unique and innovate title that does it all. It's funny, smart and the voices by Merchant (Wheatley), and Mcclain (Glados) compounds to the brilliance of Portal 2. Also, the storyline is well written and definitely hooks you to the game. As for the length, I'd say you are probably looking at about 8-10 hours of campaign, and then 5-6 hours of Co-op. Don't look at the negative reviews, this is a must buy title. One of the best games this generation without a doubt. Expand
  33. Apr 21, 2011
    Just normal work I would expect from Valve, A great storyline with great length of 9-10 hours If you don't speed-run the game, or beat it in one day (It took me 2 days to beat it, Roughly 5 hours each of those days) and actually don't know what to do the first time around, after beating this game, I feel like I need to play through it again to find everything I missed, and have a bit moreJust normal work I would expect from Valve, A great storyline with great length of 9-10 hours If you don't speed-run the game, or beat it in one day (It took me 2 days to beat it, Roughly 5 hours each of those days) and actually don't know what to do the first time around, after beating this game, I feel like I need to play through it again to find everything I missed, and have a bit more fun with the 3 gels you can use in the game, I think It was well worth its $50 and can't wait until a other Valve game comes out, because I will most likely play Valve's next game, after seeing some real work instead of a action game for once, Well, I hope you enjoyed my review on Portal 2, I actually Liked this, and suggest that you buy more of Valve's work, go on Steam and spend some money on their great games, I sure made a great choice by Pre-Ordering Portal 2 instead of some other game. P.S. If you don't want the game spoiled, Buy it before some dumb-ass can! Expand
  34. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic game, The level structure is great, the writing is masterful, voice acting incredible and the art design amazing. This takes everything that Portal did right and added onto it.
  35. Apr 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first portal was an amazing experience and the second game does not disappoint. From the first levels ripped right out of the first game to show you how the enrichment center has changed to firing a portal to the freaking moon this game kept me entertained and interested the whole way through. The learning curve is also much improved, introducing concepts more organically and at a perfect pace. Expand
  36. Apr 21, 2011
    Visually stunning game. Challenging puzzles for previous players as well as new players. Humorous and fun. I enjoyed every level of this game (and the satisfying conclusion). I can't think of a way that Valve could have made it better.
  37. Apr 21, 2011
    The story - "Valve-styled". It made me play all evening and, after that , all night long...
    Graphics - one of the strongest sides of this game. I'm still affected by these maps with VERY HUGE spaces. I'VE NEVER SEEN anything like this before!!!! It is still mis-understandable how can these maps load in ~10 seconds?! I'm also puzzled how can these maps fit into my notebook video card's memory which is only 256-mb, high-detailed?!
    Defects: 1. Game often shuted down. But I suppose that is a bug of my non-legal copy.
    2. The first 10-15 testchambers are really boring! But I understand that they are created of some unique idiots who will buy the second Portal without playing the first one! But as for me, it is really annoying!
    This game EXCEEDED ALL IMAGINABLE EXPECTATIONS!!!!
    Well, there are many small defects in this game, so I'd better rate "9", but this game really affected me... Then the only mark I can give is "10"!
    P.S.:Yes, I'm definitely buying official copy...
  38. Apr 21, 2011
    After seeing all the negative reviews from whiny PC gamers, I felt obligated to give my perfect 10 to such a deserving game. Beautiful environments, clever level design, hilarious writing, and amazing gameplay mechanics make Portal 2 an obvious nominee for game of the year. I couldn't have enjoyed this game more and I'm upset to hear others rag on it for such terrible reasons. No oneAfter seeing all the negative reviews from whiny PC gamers, I felt obligated to give my perfect 10 to such a deserving game. Beautiful environments, clever level design, hilarious writing, and amazing gameplay mechanics make Portal 2 an obvious nominee for game of the year. I couldn't have enjoyed this game more and I'm upset to hear others rag on it for such terrible reasons. No one forced you to buy the Potato Sack, there's easily over 10 hours of gameplay, and the "evidence" that this game was ported from consoles is rubbish. Buy this game and you'll never regret it. Expand
  39. Apr 21, 2011
    Great game; loved the single player story and am just starting multiplayer. As usual, another great game from Valve. I would have given it a 10 if the single player were a bit longer, but I'm not really sure how long the game could go on for without getting repetitive, or introducing too many elements. Perhaps it could be a little cheaper (like $30 maybe) to compensate for this. ButGreat game; loved the single player story and am just starting multiplayer. As usual, another great game from Valve. I would have given it a 10 if the single player were a bit longer, but I'm not really sure how long the game could go on for without getting repetitive, or introducing too many elements. Perhaps it could be a little cheaper (like $30 maybe) to compensate for this. But this is a review of how good of a game this is, not if it's pricing is appropriate. Overall, another great game from Valve. P.S. I don't see what the big deal is about there being hats available on the first day to purchase - I could see what people were complaining about if it was extra levels or something (though I still wouldn't agree), but it's purely cosmetic - you can still play the entire game without even noticing a difference without a hat. As another aside, it doesn't feel at all like a console port - no idea what people are talking about in reference to that. Expand
  40. Apr 21, 2011
    I was originally mad at all these 0 reviews, before I got deeply into Portal 2. Now I'm just furious. Because the more the game progresses the better it is in my eyes. It's a masterpiece. Anyone who says it's not better than the first is wrong, anyone who says it's a bad game is wrong. Anyone who says it's too short, clearly needs to take it easy and actually listen to dialogue.
  41. Apr 21, 2011
    The negative user reviews this game is getting are insane. This game is one the most humorous, challenging and overall enjoyable games I have ever played. The campaign leaves nothing lacking, and the graphics and art style are unique, while not being overly similar to the original. Although I cannot quite see the logic behind the item store, it is by no means a hindrance on the game,The negative user reviews this game is getting are insane. This game is one the most humorous, challenging and overall enjoyable games I have ever played. The campaign leaves nothing lacking, and the graphics and art style are unique, while not being overly similar to the original. Although I cannot quite see the logic behind the item store, it is by no means a hindrance on the game, seeing as the only purchases available are cosmetic. The characters are brilliantly voiced and this is by far the best game I have played in recent years. Expand
  42. Apr 21, 2011
    Most immersive best experience you will ever have playing a game.Im speaking for all crowds. Great Co-op, single player mode is hilarious, intuitive and solid. Recommended for everyone! Everyone likes cake right??

P.S. Trollers be trollin. DO NOT listen to the negative reviews of this game. If there is any exception of dismissing bad reviews for a game, now is the best time. If you dont want the DLC dont **** buy it. Does it really matter if this is mixed with the console port? Its still the same great game. 0 doesnt count as a legit review just because you decided you wanted to buy the potato sack (which was optional). Quit whining and enjoy what could be the best game of the year.
  43. Apr 21, 2011
    This is possibly the best game I've ever played in my entire life. It looks, feels, and has the framerate of a movie. Admittedly, it is easier than Portal, but the environments, humor, and story make the entire experience simply incredible.
  44. Apr 21, 2011
    This game was too short and there is really no value in justifying the $40-$50 price tag, especially if you watch the youtube videos on how to solve the puzzles. The game took me 1.5 hours to beat it and I got no value. I think Valve really needs to shut down youtube (maybe even goggle) because it really spoils the game and it also makes the strategy guides sold at game stores for $20This game was too short and there is really no value in justifying the $40-$50 price tag, especially if you watch the youtube videos on how to solve the puzzles. The game took me 1.5 hours to beat it and I got no value. I think Valve really needs to shut down youtube (maybe even goggle) because it really spoils the game and it also makes the strategy guides sold at game stores for $20 un-buyable. The graphics are also quite old, they're basically on par with HL2 and the source engine is so overused at this point. The first day DLC was also a disappointment because it was so expensive. I couldn't afford any of the items and even though it's all cosmetics like others have stated, I like looking good in game. Valve really seems like they're trying to leech off rich people who can afford these items and pss on people like me. So overall, I really didn't get value on my buy and I'm pretty sure you won't too. Best if you wait until it's free like Portal 1 was so you could buy it and get more value than I did. Expand
  45. Apr 25, 2011
    Refreshingly fun, after all of the sub par games released this year, I was so entertained by this game I'll probably buy it for a few friends. On a side note, the characters were vibrant, entertaining, funny, and the ending was the best of any game I've ever played.
  46. Apr 22, 2011
    If you didn't like Portal then this game isn't for you, but if you did then this you should definitely get this game. The gameplay is a lot like the first, but the difficulty of the later puzzles, is far greater that any in the first. While the first game was great, it felt short, and left you wanting more, and this game doesn't. The story is actually there, and offers many things up toIf you didn't like Portal then this game isn't for you, but if you did then this you should definitely get this game. The gameplay is a lot like the first, but the difficulty of the later puzzles, is far greater that any in the first. While the first game was great, it felt short, and left you wanting more, and this game doesn't. The story is actually there, and offers many things up to debate, although hopefully those questions will be answered when episode 3 comes out (cause it is totally going to come out right Gabe....). This game stayed true to the original while offering a lot of new content. This game also gives us more insight on GlaDOS, and well I don't want to spoil anything, but I can say that I feel a lot better about her now. I cannot stress enough though that this game is a true sequel to the first, it knows what it is, and it doesn't try and change that, and for fans that is great, but again if you did not like the first, you probably won't like this one, and if you do you probably don't want to risk spending 50 dollars on it. I thought it was worth it, but I loved the first. Expand
  47. Apr 22, 2011
    Absolutely sublime. I went into it looking to find flaws. I do with every game I play. I could not find one thing that wasn't just amazingly fun. Every puzzle in every room is crafted to be just the right difficulty, and it has some genuine moments of pure adrenaline rushing. Not to mention the perfect writing. This could very well be one of the greatest games I have ever played, and IAbsolutely sublime. I went into it looking to find flaws. I do with every game I play. I could not find one thing that wasn't just amazingly fun. Every puzzle in every room is crafted to be just the right difficulty, and it has some genuine moments of pure adrenaline rushing. Not to mention the perfect writing. This could very well be one of the greatest games I have ever played, and I have played a lot. Expand
  48. Apr 22, 2011
    Long story short: Portal 1 was great - Portal 2 is different, but also great. Great sense of humour, nice environment and the story is also good, if you watch and listen. I bought the game with my brother and we got 20% off - that's fair. Thumbs up for the steam platform - that's the future, get used to it! Also the DLC was a good idea and PLEASE guys, if you like playing computer games,Long story short: Portal 1 was great - Portal 2 is different, but also great. Great sense of humour, nice environment and the story is also good, if you watch and listen. I bought the game with my brother and we got 20% off - that's fair. Thumbs up for the steam platform - that's the future, get used to it! Also the DLC was a good idea and PLEASE guys, if you like playing computer games, don't whine about it - the business is hard and there are way too many dev companies dying... Expand
  49. Apr 22, 2011
    I think the users more critical than the critics. This game simple awesome. Funy, enjoyable, require some logic (if you play the firs time) but for me that's the best for in this game (not just "go over there and kill 10 marine"). This game get a lot of voite in here (over 1000 ...how many games have that many like this so fast after the release date?) and this is that game what winI think the users more critical than the critics. This game simple awesome. Funy, enjoyable, require some logic (if you play the firs time) but for me that's the best for in this game (not just "go over there and kill 10 marine"). This game get a lot of voite in here (over 1000 ...how many games have that many like this so fast after the release date?) and this is that game what win aganinst the CS:S and HL2 (The most waited and most played FPS game ever in Steam). Expand
  50. Apr 22, 2011
    All I can say is WOW! Brilliant GFX, best voice overs ever in a game, highly immersive, fantastically paced. Again VALVE did a great job with a game that hardly has any faults. I love it and give it 10/10.

For all you guys who don't like the DLC: DON'T BUY IT! It's that easy.
  51. Apr 22, 2011
    The higher critic rating than user rating shows that critics on the whole aren't given to immature knee-jerk reactions and childish rants. Portal 2 is probably the best video game so far for a number of reasons:

Concept. First you have to think of the idea. Portal is based on a brilliant concept. Execution. There are probably a thousand brilliant ideas for every one that gets rendered in

Concept.
    First you have to think of the idea. Portal is based on a brilliant concept.

Execution.
    There are probably a thousand brilliant ideas for every one that gets rendered in a form that does it justice. Portal 2 takes the concept of the original and treats like a first draft, expanding, developing and exploring the concept into an immersive, funny, trippy and fun game, which is essentially non-violent (not a moral necessity, but a refreshing point of difference).

Production values. Tie it all together with vertigo inducing art and first class voice acting and you have a game that is the early 21st century's '2001: a space odyssey'. A mind expanding experience that somewhere transcends the medium to comment on the invasiveness of technology and 24/7 monitoring of society through close circuit cameras. Sure that may not have been the intention, but all good art reflects something of its time and Portal 2 gets it bang on.

Conclusion. Got a non-gamer friend with whom you would like to share the joys of gaming? Portal 2 will rip their socks off. And that's why it really is the best game so far.
  52. Apr 22, 2011
    Great while it lasted, but 4 hours is not worth the money I paid, and I was in no hurry. Thankfully it never got too repetitive, but I think they could have made it a bit trickier. People will like the game because it will make them feel smart solving the puzzles, which is reflected in some overly positive reviews. One thing I did not like was the british voice which was very annoying toGreat while it lasted, but 4 hours is not worth the money I paid, and I was in no hurry. Thankfully it never got too repetitive, but I think they could have made it a bit trickier. People will like the game because it will make them feel smart solving the puzzles, which is reflected in some overly positive reviews. One thing I did not like was the british voice which was very annoying to me. A cheaper price would make this almost an 8. Expand
  53. Apr 22, 2011
    Firstly, i like would like to point out, no one has to buy the dlc if they do not wish to. Secondly, in many ways, charging players for dlc that does not effect the way you play a game at all, is better than charging for a new map pack or say some new weapons. The people who choose not to purchase cosmetic items do not actually lose out on any aspect of the game play, it is merely anFirstly, i like would like to point out, no one has to buy the dlc if they do not wish to. Secondly, in many ways, charging players for dlc that does not effect the way you play a game at all, is better than charging for a new map pack or say some new weapons. The people who choose not to purchase cosmetic items do not actually lose out on any aspect of the game play, it is merely an option for those who wish to do so.

Onto the review...

I gave this a 10/10 not because i believe it to be a flawless title, in all honesty if i were being completely accurate i would give it an 8 or a 9, though probably the latter. The reason I am giving it a 10/10 is because i believe the grounds on which some people (all 200 and something) are giving it ridiculously low scores are unfair and biased against the game, and not taking it for what it is, and i would like to try and raise the overall score to something more accurate, something that new players will look at and go, wow, i should play this game.

This is because I believe EVERYONE, should play this game, it takes what was essentially a fantastic experiment, and turns it into what is one of the best gaming titles ever released, it is a humorous, empowering, visual spectacle that is most importantly fun.

As has been stated by many people, critics and fans alike, Valve have succeeded in making more believable and lovable (as well as hate-able) characters than most other modern games on the market, and they succeeded in doing this with robots. Wheatley is downright hilarious (as are the turrets) and GlaDos is as chilling as ever, though things step up a notch when everything turns on its head and this game provided me some of the more memorable moments i have had related to gaming (a certain bird related incident) The other new characters are similarly engaging.

Visually this game is a tremendous success, i find it staggering that the source engine was able to achieve in this game, the visual fidelity and dynamic-ness is unbelievable, especially on such an old engine. I cannot think of a single game in which the environment feels more alive (and you have to remember that the majority of the game takes place in underground sterile test chambers) this game cannot be compared to something like crysis but it is still beautiful.

The map design is top-notch, the portal gun is as fun and empowering as ever, the new gameplay elements are excellent, and each test once solved still leaves you with a tremendous sense of success.

Good work Valve, just waiting on Half Life 2 Episode 3 now!
  54. Apr 22, 2011
    Another piece of brilliance from valve, the interactions between the player, Glados and Wheatley are fantastically written (and let us not forget Cave Johnson) and the puzzles are always challenging without being punishing. Don't listen to the naysayers regarding the length, it's perfectly paced without any unnecessary filler and by the end you'll wish it never ended.
  55. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is brilliant. The length is perfect. Any longer and it would start to get boring. The story drives the game and has some good plot twists. The voice acting is top notch and the characters pull off some very funny lines. Portal 2 improves every aspect from portal 1 and is a must buy.
  56. Apr 22, 2011
    Amazing soundtrack & Ambience tracks.
    Amazing and really personal gameplay.
    Amazing co-op mode with it's own campaign. Did i already say this game is amazing? Definetely Valves best game at the moment! Oh and a few words about the store. The items are all only cosmetic and, and in no way affect the gameplay. They're also 100% Optional. I'd understand all the whining about them if they
    Amazing soundtrack & Ambience tracks.
    Amazing and really personal gameplay.
    Amazing co-op mode with it's own campaign.

Did i already say this game is amazing?
    Definetely Valves best game at the moment!

Oh and a few words about the store. The items are all only cosmetic and, and in no way affect the gameplay. They're also 100% Optional. I'd understand all the whining about them if they were maps, or weapons..

And about the lenght of the game.. Singleplayer took me about 7 ½ hours with no breaks, multiplayer about 5. Steam said it only took me 6 to do both, so it's obviously not working. Oh, back on topic. This game is AMAZING and i feel like every penny that i paid for this was worth it!

A M A Z I N G.
  57. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a terrific game and a great example of how to do a sequel right.

Just finished the game last night, clocked in at roughly 10 hours of gameplay. That's shorter than I'd like, but it seems to be about average for a game these days. And I haven't even touched the co-op yet... So I'm thinking I got my money's worth. Of course the gameplay is based on puzzles, and the amount of
    Portal 2 is a terrific game and a great example of how to do a sequel right.

Of course the gameplay is based on puzzles, and the amount of time it takes you to finish will vary quite a bit depending on how quickly you solve those puzzles. I found the puzzles to be rather easy for the first half of the game... Didn't really get stumped until I wound up in the old laboratories playing with the various gels. So it's entirely possible you'll get more (or less) gameplay out of it.

The puzzle difficulty was pretty much spot-on for me. Far less of the twitchy puzzles that required lighting reflexes and good aim to drop a portal right where you needed it while sailing through the air. Less puzzles that required quick thinking under tight time constraints. More puzzles that allowed you to examine a situation and figure out the best solution on your own timetable. The puzzles were generally challenging. Generally required some thought. But weren't so frustrating that I wanted to rip my hair out. And, once they'd been solved, the solutions always made perfect sense.

The graphics are a terrific improvement over the first game. Not just in pure graphic quality, but in the way they're used. The upper reaches of Aperture Laboratories take on a personality of their own... The shifting panels become an extension of GLaDOS, and convey her emotions as you work your way through the test chambers. The contrast between the decaying test chambers in the beginning, then the well-maintained test chambers, then the abandoned chambers below, and finally the malfunctioning chambers at the end... It conveys a real sense of character. As if the facility itself is another character in the game. You can feel how Aperture Science has changed and grown over the years.

Of course you've got your ASHPD, and the portals it creates. And they still work the way you'd expect them to. But Portal 2 adds a few new twists to the old formula...

You've got "aerial faith plates" which act as catapults and launch you across the room... A new kind of block that allows you to re-direct the thermal discouragement beams... Repulsion gel, that works kind of like flubber and causes you to bounce high into the air... Propulsion gel speeds you up as you run across it... Conversion gel turns any surface into a portal-able surface... Excursion funnels, which act as a tunnel or conveyor belt... Light bridges, that do exactly what it says on the tin...

And all of these new toys are combined with your portals, to create some truly mind-bending puzzles and solutions.

Along the way you'll learn more about GLaDOS, and Aperture Science... You'll meet Wheatley, and hear from Cave Johnson himself. You get a peek behind the curtain, and get a good look at just what makes all these test chambers work the way they do. And, of course, you get insulted at just about every step of the way. The same dark humor that made the original Portal so much fun is back again.

There was an ARG that led up to the release of Portal 2... Some folks are counting that against Portal 2 in their reviews... I think that's a little silly. Give it a few months or years and nobody is even going to remember there was an ARG at all. What'll linger - what we paid good money for - is the Portal 2 game itself.

There is a cash DLC store in Portal 2, and it was there on launch day. In other games this might have annoyed me... If I pay $60 for a new game, I expect pretty much everything to be there on the disc. I don't want to go home and find out there's another mission or quest available if I spend another $5 here or $10 there. However, the DLC is all purely cosmetic stuff - hats and skins and gestures for the co-op. None of it actually adds to or changes the gameplay. So I'm not too worried about the DLC this time around.

All things considered, Portal 2 is at least as good as the original - if not better. Definitely an entertaining way to waste a few hours. Certainly worth the money I paid for it.
  58. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal was one of the best games I ever played. Portal 2 isn't soo innovative but it's longer than the first and have some new things and a fun coop mode. It's expensive but his price will be going down with the time and steam will make offer (games with the same price when it get into the market actually price is 10-15â
  59. Apr 22, 2011
    I had a lot of fun playing the tutorials in this game. The little flying robot cracks me up with its British accent. The level design is brilliant and I am sure everyone can have some fun at some point.
    Although this is a FPS, it's more of a puzzle game. Once you get that concept, you won't complain that you are not obliterating lively things. * Does not worth the full retail price to me thou, this game has no replay value at all and it's short. Once you beat it, you wouldn't want to play again because you already knew all the solutions *
  60. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game! Single player mode is so amazing; very interesting plot, it's fun and... just so excellent! Co-op mode is also very fun and great. This is one of the best games ever.
  61. Apr 22, 2011
    Its sad to know that probably that the game of the year already came out. Portal 2 is simply so far ahead in terms of originality, game design, story writing, characterization and level design than almost every other videogame out there that I am starting to think that it might be not worth my times to play games that are not made by Valve.
  62. Vix
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have rarely enjoyed in a game this much. Game is not short at all, played a fair couple of hours and I never used more than 10 minutes at a chamber, but simply enjoying the environment game offers and looking for secrets has extended my experience to a fair amount. Even first few chapters when I was already sure that game will end after 4th or 5th chapter, I got simply blown off by theI have rarely enjoyed in a game this much. Game is not short at all, played a fair couple of hours and I never used more than 10 minutes at a chamber, but simply enjoying the environment game offers and looking for secrets has extended my experience to a fair amount. Even first few chapters when I was already sure that game will end after 4th or 5th chapter, I got simply blown off by the awesomeness of story and when I thought game could not get any better, I got to the chambers with the gel. One of the best games ever. Expand
  63. Apr 22, 2011
    It was always going to be hard to live up to the hype that surrounded the release of Portal 2, and I feel like the game fell slightly short. While the new puzzle mechanics such as the goo and light bridges were refreshing at first, they quickly became repetitive and formulaic. Blue goo again, where is the angled wall that I need to splatter with it this time? Light bridge again? Sigh,It was always going to be hard to live up to the hype that surrounded the release of Portal 2, and I feel like the game fell slightly short. While the new puzzle mechanics such as the goo and light bridges were refreshing at first, they quickly became repetitive and formulaic. Blue goo again, where is the angled wall that I need to splatter with it this time? Light bridge again? Sigh, place portal at end of bridge and one behind me, walk onto it, then move second portal so I drop down to the bridge below me. Maybe it was a case of expecting too much, but I definitely found the puzzles in Portal 2 much easier than the original.
    Portal wasn't a long game, and while Portal 2 extends the single player to about 3x the length of the original, and adds co-op mode, I breezed through single player in a little under 6 hours. Given the four years since the original, I was expecting more.
    Stephen Merchant's voice acting was a love it or hate it kinda deal, and I personally found it a bit irritating. If you found yourself shedding a tear as you incinerated your companion cube in Portal 1, you'll probably enjoy the voice acting and writing. If not, there are a few funny moments but the script is a bit stale, with GlasOS becoming particularly formulaic.

Overall, a good game, not a great game. Don't expect too much and you'll enjoy it.
  64. Apr 22, 2011
    Personally I loved the game. The story was amusing and it twisted in enough ways to keep me interested, the campaign mode took me roughly 7 hours to beat. That time was because I like to explore everything and listen to all the dialogue which was amusing to say the least. The puzzles were all very fun and a few were even pretty hard (I played a lot of the first portal and as a result I amPersonally I loved the game. The story was amusing and it twisted in enough ways to keep me interested, the campaign mode took me roughly 7 hours to beat. That time was because I like to explore everything and listen to all the dialogue which was amusing to say the least. The puzzles were all very fun and a few were even pretty hard (I played a lot of the first portal and as a result I am used to "thinking with portals"). During all such fun the game was packed with as much if not more humor than the first game offered, humor which I got a big kick out of and is very family friendly still. Last thing I must say is that I really don't like hearing people complain about the dlc. The dlc in no way alters game play, if you feel cheated because you can't put on your favorite hat without paying for it, then you may be better suited to play a game like The Sims. No I don't think it is necessary for valve to do any sort of dlc, they make enough money. But it doesn't change my game, and my time in portal 2 was outstanding so thank you valve for an another amazing title. Expand
  65. Apr 22, 2011
    The hype surrounding Portal 2 has been large with the Augmented reality game that Valve launched receiving mixed reviews. However Portal 2 does not disappoint.

I am hailing Portal 2 as an almost perfect game. Lets cover the one tiny bad part about this game in my view...lack of replayability and even that is grasping at straws to find what is wrong with this great game. There has also

There has also been controversy surrounding the "Robot Enrichment" mode in which you can buy skins for your multiplayer co op robots to distinguish yourself even further away from others. Yes it costs to get these items but you unlock some items during play and if you wish to make yourself very different from most people online you should have to expect to pay a premium.

The story of Portal 2 is very solid very reminiscent of the first while expanding upon the narrative and not getting stale. Throughout the game you do visit different parts of Aperture Science that were constructed during different eras from the 1950's onwards until the modern test chambers that GLaDOS herself put you through. This offers a very pleasing aesthetic with the game mixing things up and keeping things fresh.

The voice acting is solid with many new characters introduced to superb effect which further enriches the comedy that the game delivers with great timing and with great effect.

You will be surprised in which directions the story goes. Without giving too much away you shouldn't be disappointed in the least. Naturally I have to give it a fair score and thus I have giving it a 9 because although it is very close to being perfect, itâ
  66. Apr 22, 2011
    Best game i've ever played. Play till the end. It's sad that i'll never ever play a game as good. Other than that i have not much to say. It's beautiful :')
  67. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2: Valve has spent a long time preparing us for this amazing sequel. The game scope and size has increased approximately ten-fold. After completing the single-player, and multi-player game modes, this has to be one of my favorite games. With a more powerful computer this game runs flawlessly, and has amazing resolution.

The voice acting by Stephen Merchant, J.K. Simmons, and Ellen

The voice acting by Stephen Merchant, J.K. Simmons, and Ellen McLain is amazing. Some comments said actually made me stop and laugh pretty hard. The basic intro level is one of the craziest things that I have seen in a video game, all I can say is I hope to see more from the portal franchise.

After completing it, I only had two spots on the single player, where I had difficulty in figuring out the puzzle, and I required assistance as I could not figure it out. Checked out a quick solution in the in-game Steam browser and it was quick work.

Overall I loved this game, and recommended it to my friends. Hope they will add more multi-player modes in the future as it was and is a good team experience.
  68. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back toPortal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back to the testing days of yore with many fun twists, and the characters are just as easy to fall in love with as before.

GAMEPLAY:
    Portal 2, like Portal 1, features impeccable gameplay. You will find nary a glitch or bug to hinder your experience. In single player, we are all familiar with the way we use the portal gun, and that hasn't changed. After a new character, a personality sphere named Wheatley wakes you from a sort of cryo sleep at the start of the game, and you find the portal gun by going through derelict versions of some of the first Portal 1 chambers. I found this nostalgically satisfying, but worrisome that Valve might just make a repeat game. However, you will see that this beginning is nothing to fret. It worked so well to introduce the mechanics in Portal 1, why not do it again, but with a twist? It effectively satisfies both old and new players alike.

Without revealing any spoilers, many new types of objects gan be used to solve some of these ingenious puzzles. Hard Light Bridges, Discouragement Beams (lasers), Excursion Funnels (energy tubes that carry objects and characters), and the Gels; Propulsion (an orange substance that makes you run fast) and Repulsion (blue substance that causes you to bounce high in the air) are all able to be manipulated by portals. Some of these tests can be as mind boggling as you might expect, and give the game a flavor all its own.

The Co-op story focuses more on the test chamber feel of Portal 1 than the single player story. The use of two sets of portals allows for wider range of possibilities in puzzle solving, and the brilliance of these tests impressed me with each progressive chamber. While not as story driven as Chell's encounters, gameplay truly dominates the Co-op as it did for much of the first title. And as a little bonus, you can interact with your Partner in Science by the way of hugs, high fives, dancing, or even a good old rock paper scissors match! It's easy to grow attatched to these characters, much easier than I had assumed.  Both modes are immensely fun to play through and don't disappoint those who love the good old Portal playstyle.

STORY:
    Without spoiling anything, I will simply say the the single player story is excellent. At times, the pace is slowed because of focus on the story, but by the end of the game you will be in awe. The characters are deep and multilayered, the story develops in ways the first game could not have, and our good enemy GLaDOS is back with a vengeance. Wth many more characters, a bittersweet, heartwarming and epic ending, and another addictingly catchy song during credits, this story meets the par set by its predecessor.

GRAPHICS:
    Portal 2, like most of Valve's titles for the last decade, runs off of the Source engine. With each game it releases Valve manages to up the engine capabilities. This game is no exception. While it doesn't have huge scenarios like L4D or HL2, it does have a level of polish no less than that of their last release, Left 4 Dead 2. The items and people are smooth and streamlined while the textures are rich, varied, and detailed. This game is easy on the eyes and sells its unique atmosphere..

SOUND:
    GLaDOS, the Portal Gun, the turrets, and any other returning objects sound about the same, if not better. The music is catchy and mood setting, but never dominates the game in an unnecessary way. Not a sound is out of place with his game, from the boxes bouncing, to the Excursion Funnel carrying, to a defective turret flying through the air. All the voices in the game are fitting, and extremely well performed. And if this isn't enough, Jonathan Coutlon has another GLaDOS voiced song to fill the credits.

DOWNSIDES:
    Portal 2 is brilliantly crafted, no doubt, but not perfect. For one, it lacks the "wow" factor of the first game. This is unavoidable. Portal 1 introduced a grand, groundbreaking concept to both the puzzle and shooter genres of gaming. This doesn't do that, but rather expands upon it. So don't expect the same awestruck feeling as when you popped in Still Alive. Also, the pacing sacrifice for the story can be annoying when you're just walking around random passageways for 20 minutes. Finally, seeing as the game is no more than 8 hours solid, the $60 price is a bit high.

All in all, Valve has crafted yet another great game, and any Portal lover should get their hands on this title ASAP. Start thinking with portals, again.
  69. Apr 22, 2011
    This review is mostly to counteract the hundreds of idiotic negative reviews of this game, but in addition to that, unlike most of those negative reviews, I have actually played through and finished the game. It seems as if most people whine and complain about money. They must have gotten spoiled from the price of Portal or something. Here's the thing: Portal 2 is still a fantasticThis review is mostly to counteract the hundreds of idiotic negative reviews of this game, but in addition to that, unlike most of those negative reviews, I have actually played through and finished the game. It seems as if most people whine and complain about money. They must have gotten spoiled from the price of Portal or something. Here's the thing: Portal 2 is still a fantastic game for the price. It amazes me just how many people will pay $50 for a garbage RPG that takes 40 hours to play through, but then will balk at paying $50 for an exceptional puzzle game that takes 12 hours to play through.

And then there's the whole "DLC" argument. Completely ridiculous. The "DLC" doesn't feature any new content in the game. Period. It's hats and gestures. That's it. Are you really going to throw a temper tantrum because Valve didn't give you a hat for your co-op robot for free? Grow up.

The level design is breathtaking, and the puzzles are brilliant. The dialogue is the best I've heard in a video game, ever. The graphics are fantastic, and do not, in any way, appear like a console port (which this is most definitely not). Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons both deliver fantastic and memorable performances.

If I had to take a few tenths of a point off, I would dock the game for 2 things:

1) Frequency of loading times. I realize they were around in the original Portal, but they weren't as noticable. Unfortunately, they are back for this game, which is disappointing. Not the end of the world though.

2) Emphasis on co-op mode. I realize that co-op mode is great for those who have people to play with, or who don't mind getting randomly paired up online, but that's not the case for everybody. It's slightly frustrating to know that half of the game is dedicated to this mode. Not a big deal, though.
  70. Apr 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game...for me but only 1 problem... d3d device failed( amm ATI Radeon HD 5450) card and game is not run....bug or whatever but i finished the SP mod and the story is very very good 11/10 i wait the Portal 3 ^^ Expand
  71. Apr 22, 2011
    Don't know what all the hate is about. Just completed both single player and co-op and it's the best bit of gaming I have had this year. I think people are so used to games like COD or WOW (games that give you almost never ending game time) that they slate anything that doesn't give them unlimited game time. This game was amazingly well written, had a great atmosphere and kept meDon't know what all the hate is about. Just completed both single player and co-op and it's the best bit of gaming I have had this year. I think people are so used to games like COD or WOW (games that give you almost never ending game time) that they slate anything that doesn't give them unlimited game time. This game was amazingly well written, had a great atmosphere and kept me interested through out. Bring on portal 3! (half life episode 3 first though ;) ) Expand
  72. Apr 22, 2011
    There is a huge dearth between Valve the marketer and Valve the Game Developer, with one of the worst promotional schemes ever devised (ARG releasing one day early fiasco/scam) for easily the best single player experience that has ever graced the face of the earth (The game starts off good/average and rises until one of the best endings ever).

If you can ignore one the worst/most

If you can ignore one the worst/most ill-conceived marketing campaigns that has ever existed, this series will be written in the history books of game designers as the video game equivalent to the Godfather or Citizen Kane.
  73. Apr 22, 2011
    This is the best game for 2011. Quite delicious storyline, twists and turns, scrumptious easter eggs. And to finish it all off, a highly climatic ending with a brilliant finish.
  74. Apr 22, 2011
    A disproportional number of the user reviews have been negative for this game, and to be honest I don't see why. By far it is the best sequel I have ever played, you look at games like Halo and all they have done is copy the original plot and game mechanics to the letter. Where as with Portal 2 they have added new features, a new plot, better graphics and a bit of a new look. UnfortunatelyA disproportional number of the user reviews have been negative for this game, and to be honest I don't see why. By far it is the best sequel I have ever played, you look at games like Halo and all they have done is copy the original plot and game mechanics to the letter. Where as with Portal 2 they have added new features, a new plot, better graphics and a bit of a new look. Unfortunately I couldn't find any references to "the cake" except one on the, "GLaDOS Emergency Shutdown and Cake Dispensary".

The plot it's self makes a nice parody of repetitive sequels by making it seem like it is going to end the same way as portal and then throwing another 2/3 of the game right at you. That said it still kinda dose copy portal 1's end, but not without some honest portal goodness and a truly epic boss fight ending. Some people have said that the game is too short, and they are slightly right about that - despite the fact I was praying for it to end soon, as midnight approached and I was due an early morning wake up (Why on earth would valve release such an major game on a week day?). I finished the game in one 7 hour session, with ample time to be stuck on some of the more confusing ones. And as I played it did kind of feel like there was so much more they wanted to do but were either too packed for time or money to do it. However the game is so packed with secret areas that I never bothered to explore and wonderful imagery that I never marvelled at because of the fore-mentioned time restrictions. So I think if you took the time to enjoy the game to its fullest it would take a good bit longer to finish and be far more entertaining.

Portal 2 did go for a bit of an unfortunate revamp with it's styles, changing the cubes so they now have lights on them, the portal gun so it now has a gravity gun effect when you pick up things, GLaDOS now looks more evil and the whole outside of the test chambers is no longer stationary. I say its unfortunate only because the cubes were a vary iconic symbol of portal and, despite the fact that the change is small, is still noticeable and hard to get used to. On top of this they add in lasers (thermal discouragement beams), light bridges, 3 types of gel and a weird moving beam that I can't remember the name of. each making the game more varied and far more interesting.

On to the matter of the missing cake. I'm not sure if it was because Valve thought the meme had moved on or if they were making a critique on tasteless repetition , either way they have certainly toned down the cake-y-ness for the sequel. Instead they have put in a far less yummy snack into POrTAl TwO, and were honestly trying to hard to iconise it.

Onto the co-op. Honestly the best multi player experience I have ever played, valve obviously knows what they are doing here, they have added in several useful mechanics to help the players communicate what they plan to do. If you have ever played army of two and noticed how all the mechanics were good ideas but didn't really work because you didn't want your partner to know what to do because then you could run ahead and get all the cash for a nice gold plating on your stinger. Well it's like that except there is no reward for finishing first, or dieing least, or placing less portals. the only thing close is "science collaboration points" which have no real relation to skill, on one level my friend killed me by accident, so GLaDOS awarded him 25 of them for teaching me the value of trust, this inspired him to try it again when he had 4 removed as I am not a human so do not need reminding. So they are more like Easter eggs than goals. It has to be said that the end to the multi player is a huge anti-climax, where it looks to be something sinister, and is in fact, but then ends far too early for any major development.

On the whole I would say this is probably the best game I have played in my life, I'm not sure if it follows enough on portal's original spirit, but with all of it's well balanced features and awesome, but short, co-op mode I can over look that. I would probably give this game a 9 because I believe that 10 is reserved for games that have no flaws at all, but I also feel that some of you have been reviewing it very unfairly so 10 it is.
  75. Apr 24, 2011
    First of all this game is true to its predecessor. it took all the elements of portal and made them better, it even incorperated som new very clever features. all this with a compelling story, epic scenery great graphics, and all the good stuff that you would expect from a AAA title like portal, and not only that but when its from valve, so you know it will be great.

the new multiplayer

the new multiplayer features that are included will make for hours of playing fun with friends, high class puzzle solving is just the thing to make the time go by, they deserve a full score for the work they put into this title. truly a game worth buying if you enjoyed the first one, and maybye even if you did not..
  76. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is possibly the best game I have ever played. The writing and voice acting is top notch and I laughed out loud at some points and was genuinely scared at others.
    The single player gameplay is brilliant and although the game isn't the longest I had to scratch my head for up to 20 minutes with some puzzles.
    The co-op gameplay is very original and the puzzles can get very hard but
    The co-op gameplay is very original and the puzzles can get very hard but the ping tool makes it much easier to communicate where "here" and "there" is although it's certainly best to play with a friend as you need good communication regardless.
    Looking forward to the DLCs, Valve!
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    A much grander game than the first, Portal 2 is filled with new content, characters, and twists. All well withholding Valve's high standards of quality.
    I am Spider-man, and I approve of this game.
  78. Apr 22, 2011
    Compare to the original Portal, Portal 2 is everything a fan could ask for. More of the witty charm that made the first so enjoyable, much more content, and multiplayer co-op mode! Single player campaign averages between 6 and 8 hours to complete. Co-op averages about 5 hours. This game was very enjoyable and I highly recommend it.
  79. ftl
    Apr 22, 2011
    I loved Portal 1, and Portal 2 was quite a good game and a worthy sequel. The puzzles were great - as good as the ones in Portal 1, and possibly better. The environments The humor was good, with GLaDOS and Wheatley and Cave Johnson. That said, I personally didn't end up loving the game like I loved Portal 1; it may be impossible to recapture the "new mechanic, new game" magic with aI loved Portal 1, and Portal 2 was quite a good game and a worthy sequel. The puzzles were great - as good as the ones in Portal 1, and possibly better. The environments The humor was good, with GLaDOS and Wheatley and Cave Johnson. That said, I personally didn't end up loving the game like I loved Portal 1; it may be impossible to recapture the "new mechanic, new game" magic with a sequel, and the plot especially felt very sequel-ish. I'd still recommend this game to everyone though. Expand
  80. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game. Alot of interesting new things, both to the story, as well af the gameplay. Everything was better. Very good and satisfying ending. Co-op is awesome, too. Longer as the first one aswell. Loved it.
  81. Apr 22, 2011
    Totally excellent game. It lived up to all expectations and more--the game is clever, funny, and just as its predecessor is delightfully challenging without being impossibly frustrating. GLaDOS comes back with her brilliantly sinister and passive-aggressive attitude and her interactions with Chell are hilarious. I already know this is my favorite game of the year; it can't be topped.
  82. Apr 22, 2011
    A Valve masterpiece. Finished the Single Player Campaign and have not even touched the Co-op, but after seeing the awesome ending of this game I felt compelled to write a review about it. In this review I would like to set some things straight.

First of all, the game is not as short as some people are saying it is. People that are saying they beat the game in 2 - 4 hours are LYING. There is no way you can beat the game that fast. The single player took me 12 hours to beat. Now that's considering that I like to take my time and listen to all the FUNNY dialogue this game has. If I rushed it though I probably could have beaten it in about 7 - 9 hours.

Did I mention the game is FUNNY? This is probably the funniest game I have ever played in my life. I have never laughed out loud so many times in a game as I did in this one. J.K. Simmons and Stephen Merchant deserve metals.

I have seen some people say that the game was too easy, but for me the difficulty was perfect. (maybe they're geniuses with 150 IQs and I'm a dumbass) I honestly don't care I just had fun. In some of the harder chambers I would walk around and not know what to do. After messing around for some time the solution would suddenly hit me. And I would think "I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner". I would then solve the puzzle and feel a little sense of accomplishment. The game has an excellent learning curve, and if you can visualize yourself solving the puzzle you can execute it. The puzzles are not as dexterity based as some of the ones in portal.

I've heard people say the game has dated graphics which is odd because to me the game had excellent graphics. The source engine still looks great and runs so smooth. 60 fps on the highest settings (no crashes) and I just have a medium powered graphics card (GTS 250). One thing I appreciate about valve games is that the games run so smooth and look so great on less powerful machines.

And about the DLC robot Store. No one is forcing you to buy anything. End of story. Get over it. I can't believe there are people giving the game a 0 solely for that. To conclude. Thank you GABEN and Valve for making yet another awesome game! This game easily deserves Game of the Year for 2011.
  83. Apr 22, 2011
    The first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funnyThe first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funny ending music, once again made by Jonathan Coulton.The single player experience is a little bit short, something about six hours to finish, but the game has a coop experience, that makes the game even more funny and longer.Probably the best game of this year. Expand
  84. Apr 22, 2011
    The quality of the first game is expanded upon in Portal 2, the game's length is much longer yet it keeps the good pacing and dark humour of its first outing, alongside the equally lengthy Co-op campaign, Portal 2 is well worth the time.

The expansion of the GLaDOS character really brings Portal 2 above the first game, providing another vehicle for the series' trademark humour. The

The puzzles have been rethought for this entry, shifting the focus more towards cognitive reasoning than simple reflexes, meaning that once a player has discovered the solution to a puzzle, the solving of it relies less on having to aim portals quickly and precisely.

It might be assumed that this detracts from the difficulty but by adding new gameplay mechanics in the form of the Repulsion, Acceleration and Moonrock Gels, these add a new layer of complexity to the puzzles.

Returning players will find the early puzzles to be easy as they simply re-imagined versions of the first few puzzles in Portal. They will also be familiar with the gameplay mechanics of the series, and will likely find this game simpler than new players, this is unsurprising however. The new mechanics are introduced later in the game, at this point all players will be roughly equal in experience anyway, in this way the game counters any sense of the game being "Too easy" for returning players.

The ending, which I shall not spoil, is a fitting end to the game's interactions between GLaDOS and the player.

I have no complaints about the game, especially given the lower than usual price point for the game.
  85. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 was an amazing ride from start to finish! the level design is pure genius and the voice acting is VALVe's best yet! The plot really never got old or stale witch i thought would be a problem given the gameplay. Gameplay is very well balanced from the most simple of tests to the complex. the Portal team at valve are very good teachers yet keep thing fun and engaging and it shows inPortal 2 was an amazing ride from start to finish! the level design is pure genius and the voice acting is VALVe's best yet! The plot really never got old or stale witch i thought would be a problem given the gameplay. Gameplay is very well balanced from the most simple of tests to the complex. the Portal team at valve are very good teachers yet keep thing fun and engaging and it shows in this game. overall one of the best VALVe games yet! (except for Half-Life 2 of course lol) Expand
  86. Apr 22, 2011
    While I am a hard-core portal fan, I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Also, I believe I managed to leave out any potential spoilers. I started playing Portal 2 with extremely high expectations, and these expectations were exceeded. Valve really revived the meaning of a "sequel." Portal 2 is not just Portal with a fresh coat of paint; it is an immersingWhile I am a hard-core portal fan, I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Also, I believe I managed to leave out any potential spoilers. I started playing Portal 2 with extremely high expectations, and these expectations were exceeded. Valve really revived the meaning of a "sequel." Portal 2 is not just Portal with a fresh coat of paint; it is an immersing experience with a spot-on storyline that ties remarkably well into the original. I also have yet to experience any kind of bug of glitch, which is rare these days for games on launch days (*cough* Treyarch). GLaDOS' dialogue is better than ever - she retains her witty satire, while at the same time introduces an underlying cold tone to her speech. One thing I disliked about the first game was the monotonous sequence of one test chamber after another. Portal 2 is full of surprises and allows the gamer to become much more involved and wonder what will happen next. The introduction of new testing elements (e.g. repulsion/speed gel) adds a new dimension to progressing through some of the chambers. However, I did only get "stuck" in the campaign a few times, and after a little bit of thinking I always managed to figure out what to do. While this may be due to my decent past portal experience, or my aptitude for puzzle solving, it is of my opinion that the game may have been designed to be too catered to inexperienced players. Often it was too obvious how to solve the puzzles, and while the actual solutions may have yielded a feeling of success or intelligence, it was clear that figuring out the solution was not that complicated. For example, on many occasions I found out the correct portal placements just because there was no other place to put a portal. Also, while I really enjoyed the ending of the game, I was disappointed with the final encounter. It was too simple and in my opinion did not take advantage of the new elements of the game effectively. Addressing the length of the game briefly, I completed the game in roughly 7 hours. Keep in mind that this was a casual pace. While claims of beating the game in 4-6 hours may be true, I can assure you that if you progress at a leisurely pace and enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played, you will get a solid 7-9 hours out of the campaign. Despite my complaints, I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign of Portal 2. The co-op mode is a particularly interesting component, especially because I predict that more will be coming for it through DLC. Valve setup the co-op very well, including aiding tools such as countdown timers and portal markers, as well as including many hilarious comments from GLaDOS. There appears to be a greater range of difficulty here as well, and while I have not yet completed all of the co-op levels, things are beginning to get tricky. Still, my co-op partner and I feel that the chambers have been a bit on the easy side. We have only played co-op for about 2 hours (max) and yet only have one more chapter to go. However, it has been loads of fun and a great teamwork experience. Also, I have yet to play with a random person in co-op, but I imagine that this would be an interesting experience on its own; I don't know what it would be like to play with someone who is incompetent! But who knows, this could just make it more interesting and force the more experienced player into a leading role. I imagine (and am desperately hoping!) that DLC with arrive in the future. It seems like too much of an opportunity for Valve to pass up. I also predict map editing tools to allow for custom map building. For now though, we can only wait and see.

So those are just my thoughts on the game. I really struggled giving this game less than a 10, but unfortunately I just felt that the advanced Portal'ers were slightly shunned. Nevertheless, the game is well worth the $45 I spent on it, and have no regrets at all.
  87. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of the most interesting and challenging games ever made. Portal 2 ups the ante from its massively successive predecessor by significantly increasing the games lenght and adding a bunch of brand new features such as light bridges and aerial faith plates. Portal 2 is hilarious from the start. The dialogues are clever and witty and the voice actors are perfect in their roles.Portal 2 is one of the most interesting and challenging games ever made. Portal 2 ups the ante from its massively successive predecessor by significantly increasing the games lenght and adding a bunch of brand new features such as light bridges and aerial faith plates. Portal 2 is hilarious from the start. The dialogues are clever and witty and the voice actors are perfect in their roles. The games art direction was really nice and some part had a slight half life feel to it. Also a series of wall drawings of events from before and during the events of the first game really created a unique ambiance. The graphics are nothing to brag about. They are clean and functional without any drops in frames, but are not mind blowing by any means. The game's 9 chapters took me about 10 hours to complete and I was enjoying every second of it. The levers near the end are very challenging and creative. Add to that the co op campaign and you've got another 10 hours of fun, hopefully with a friend. In co op you take the role of either Atlas or P Body, two cute and funny robots. All in all this was another amazing game from the guys over at Valve ( and imo their best ) I give this game an 10.0 ! Expand
  88. Apr 22, 2011
    Registered here to counter the whining kids who didn't get to open their presents early for the, fair enough, rather crass, but 'optional' marketing promotion that gave some Indies boost (a good thing for them).

Anyway fantastic game, great humour, levels and happy with the length of the game, on that note if you decide to finish in one sitting you probably won't fully appreciate it (too much of a good thing isn't and all). Its a different beast to Portal v1, with more focus on story and characterisation, but the new environmental toys are cool and the overall feel and ending are superb.

Given Valves background in supporting games for years (e.g. TF2) no doubt there will be more to come, and I'm sure its a game that will keep on giving and don't be surprised to see more stuff in future.

Finally the DLC... its optional, as in TF2, if you don't like it, don't buy it, I'm pretty sure I won't unless its for some worthy cause.
  89. Apr 22, 2011
    A simply amazing and immersive game with a unique humour and style, as well as a brilliant storyline, Portal 2 is a must-buy. I was blown away by how much it had improved in every important way over the original Portal, which itself was immensely popular. So, to everyone complaining about the DLC, why? Portal 2 is one of the few games with DLC where I'm NOT annoyed. Why? Because they don'tA simply amazing and immersive game with a unique humour and style, as well as a brilliant storyline, Portal 2 is a must-buy. I was blown away by how much it had improved in every important way over the original Portal, which itself was immensely popular. So, to everyone complaining about the DLC, why? Portal 2 is one of the few games with DLC where I'm NOT annoyed. Why? Because they don't withhold from you anything that actually matters. No missing gameplay, no new plot, no unbalanced extras forcing you to pay £3 to have a chance of actually winning. No, what does Portal 2 offer? Aesthetic extras for multiplayer. Completely optional, as they leave you at no practical disadvantage if you don't buy them. So you don't want to pay for a top hat? Just go without. It's not like you'll see it much in first person anyway, and you won't sacrifice any actual gameplay or anything else that actually matters by not buying. Want to show how much you hate DLC? Pick a game that forces you to pay for actual content, not for purely aesthetic extras. For a better summary of why you shouldn't care about Portal 2's DLC, read this: http://bit.ly/fNqedb if that's TL:DR, then just read the last half of the second page, that's the important bit. Please? Expand
  90. Apr 22, 2011
    Everything you liked on Portal 1... multiplied with 10...
    if you liked portal you will love portal 2
    if you can't find fun in the gameplay of portal, you won't find any in portal 2...
  91. Apr 23, 2011
    For all the people saying this is the best game ever made, it may be a bit early to make that assumption. But I have to say Portal 2 is one of the best games I have ever played. For those of you stating that Portal 2 is it better than Mass Effect 2, Half Life games, Team Fortress, Bioshock, Oblivion (Whatever the hell you find is your favorite game) you are not understanding that everyoneFor all the people saying this is the best game ever made, it may be a bit early to make that assumption. But I have to say Portal 2 is one of the best games I have ever played. For those of you stating that Portal 2 is it better than Mass Effect 2, Half Life games, Team Fortress, Bioshock, Oblivion (Whatever the hell you find is your favorite game) you are not understanding that everyone is going to have a different opinion and favorite game style but once again I have to say Portal 2 is worth your respect even if you do not like puzzle games like this; the story and design of the game are so well done it is not worth the negative reviews it is receiving by some people trying to make a point. For me its in my Top 10 favorite games of all time and it deserves a high score. Expand
  92. Apr 22, 2011
    An extremely enjoyable FPP with an amazing design abd aesthetic, I love the fact that the co op is cross-platform so I can play with the console peasants =p

the single and multi-player are extremely good with a solid difficulty curve and difficult puzzles that challenge conventional thinking. The dialogue is witty with lots of easter eggs and conspiracy theories to be had. and I honestly laughed in a fit when hearing some of what Cave Johnson had to say

and on a final note is the store... I don't see what the rage is about? it's only cosmetic and isn't even advertised in game, not sure why it's being flamed, I even like the skins and payed about $3 for one
  93. Apr 22, 2011
    An amazing game and you would miss out on an amazing experience that surpasses the first and is now my favorite game and perhaps the best game ever made. Beautiful levels, complicated puzzle that once you figure out you will face palm yourself on how simple it was in the end. A truly amazing experience if you haven't picked it up yet go to gamestop or download it on steam as soon as youAn amazing game and you would miss out on an amazing experience that surpasses the first and is now my favorite game and perhaps the best game ever made. Beautiful levels, complicated puzzle that once you figure out you will face palm yourself on how simple it was in the end. A truly amazing experience if you haven't picked it up yet go to gamestop or download it on steam as soon as you can. You will regret it if you miss the game of the year and one of the best games ever made. Expand
  94. Apr 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view.
  95. Apr 22, 2011
    I beat the single player portion of this game in about 4 hours almost 4 1/2 hours. And holy crap it was the best 4 1/4 hours of playtime I think I've ever had, and the greatest $45 I have ever spent. Just to be clear before the release date I had been playing and replaying the first portal. Manly to remember how to "think with portals", also because I can't find those **** radio's.
    I can
    I can empathize with the people who think it was to short, and not as challenging as I would liked, but thats not the point. The point is that it was an amazing game: funny, witty (sort of), ingenious, very clever, and it requires you to think beyond 'run over there and shoot that guy'. Yeah I would have loved it to be 5 hours longer with uber hard puzzles, but you know what that's just selfish considering all the work Valve put into this.
    I will end by saying that Portal 2 deserves to be Game of the Year.
  96. Apr 22, 2011
    This is the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Thanks, Valve - you knocked this game out of the park and I treasured every minute of it. Okay - later... I'm off to go play the multiplayer part of the game again.
  97. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is so far the best game of the year. the first portal may be one of my most loved games ever made but i think it will have to make room for this gem of a game. I've been hyped up for this game for a while and it delivers in every aspect of the game. Aperture science has fallen into disrepair ever since GLaDOS was "shut down" by the chell the main protagonist from the first portalPortal 2 is so far the best game of the year. the first portal may be one of my most loved games ever made but i think it will have to make room for this gem of a game. I've been hyped up for this game for a while and it delivers in every aspect of the game. Aperture science has fallen into disrepair ever since GLaDOS was "shut down" by the chell the main protagonist from the first portal game. Chell is back and after being dragged back into stasis she has been woken up by wheatly and there both trying to make a brake for it. I really enjoyed the story it really passed itself and gave us a cool in site into aperture science. As for the game play your once again solving an increasing number of puzzles which will prod and poke your mind until that enviable "AH HA" which makes you feel good. There have been some new mechanics added to spice things up like gels, light bridges and excursion funnels. The puzzle design doesn't seem cheap or makes you feel like its too hard it just has the right amount of difficulty at the right time. Also an addition is to take the game online and take part in the co-op story mode where its an all new story with all new things to master. over all I really enjoyed this game and I think this should go down as one of the most enjoyable games to play. Expand
  98. Apr 22, 2011
    Might have been a better then the first Portal. I loved it so much. Best games I have played to date. If you are going to play anything this year, make sure you play Portal 2. If your buy it on Steam you will get Portal one for free so you can catch up on the story.
  99. Apr 22, 2011
    The problem with highly anticipated sequels is the love of the original often will cover its problems. Portal 2 isn't a bad game, but it seems to be just a (slightly) longer version of the original. Much of what made Portal 1 so great was it was a innovative title, the concept and the humor was great. Portal 2 isn't much different. It has a new story with new characters and better graphicsThe problem with highly anticipated sequels is the love of the original often will cover its problems. Portal 2 isn't a bad game, but it seems to be just a (slightly) longer version of the original. Much of what made Portal 1 so great was it was a innovative title, the concept and the humor was great. Portal 2 isn't much different. It has a new story with new characters and better graphics but thats a given with sequels does it really offer anything new. It is deserving of the the plethora of 10's or the 4 or lesses, i don't believe so. My biggest issue is the price, the value for your money simply isn't there its a short game for $50, based on the reviewers here it seems to take about 4-6 hours, that is a short game. Especially for a puzzle game because there is no replay value, once you figure out the puzzles there is really nothing you can extract from it. For that it loses 2 points for me 1 for value 1 for replayability. Another issue i have is, its very easy. For a puzzle game that is again a big detraction especially the section where you're simply looking for the special portal allowing walls in the otherwise portal-proof sections, and for that it loses another point. My last issue and point for that matter as i previously mentioned, there isn't anything that new from the last game. The gel things aren't that cool to be the only real new thing. The portal thing is cool, it really is, but not enough in the second game. To call this game the best valve game ever is ridiculous this isn't close to Half-Life. And lastly opinions are opinions, im not a troll for rating this game a 6, that just what i think is deserves. Expand
  100. Apr 22, 2011
    Compelling story from start finish that keeps you guessing. The dialog and characters are hilarious. This game could have had terrible gameplay and still be fun just based on the humor, but it takes the portal metaphor to new levels with all sorts of new contraptions, even if some which were previewed in early trailers were removed.

1. Pelit (Finland)