8.7

1. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is just perfect. One of the best games I've played in my life. Humour, Action, and hard stuff, everything you expect from the sequel of one of the most original platform games of this decade. Don't need to wait for a demo or anything, this game is so awesome. It's a buy!
  2. May 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's could, hell it could be even great! If it wasn't just so easy... I ripped through the single player and even managed to destroy the co-op with a friend in 2 sittings (1 for single player, 1 for co-op). I don't think I'm incredibly smart or something but it just seemed like the answers to all the puzzles were spelled out for you. Where as in Portal 1 they would require more experimentation and...hell science! The promise of additional levels, challenge modes, and the level editor (for what I assume will be devious designs from the community) help to keep the hope alive for me that the game can still come back and show it's teeth and actually be a challenge. The potential for amazing ooze puzzles is there but it almost feels like they were afraid to make anything too complicated because they didn't want the "average" person to get stuck and to be able to make it to the end.

As for the single player itself, it was still incredibly enjoyable. Asides from the aforementioned difficulty issues the humour is still great and has more awesome moments then I care to count. Wheatly and Cave Johnson add a much needed breath of fresh air, since I feel if we had another whole game with just Glados she would start to get stale. They also did a great job of exploring the roots and history of the game without necessarily having to go back and create a prequel. Plus the ooze! The ooze is an amazing additional to the portal gameplay and allows for more interesting possibilities with momentum, if they were more apt to take advantage of them.

I was originally going to give the game a solid 7 since it was good and I enjoyed it but the promising return of difficulty to the game (from Valve's DLC update or through community driven levels) made me up it to an 8 instead.
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    If I could give a 9.5 I would. Portal 2 is a perfect blend of awesome story telling and puzzles without bombarding you with walls of text or codexes that you're expected to read and without making any puzzle too difficult. In many situations you feel like you cheat the system and find a way to complete a section that wasn't exactly the expected way the developers foresaw which in it of itself is a great feeling. A fantastic ride the whole way though. The only nitpick I have is that it was too short! Expand
  4. May 5, 2011
    Let me start of by saying whoever thinks that this game is difficult is a idiot. This game is unrealistic and the graphics are garbage.The game is extremely boring. Great job Valve!
  5. Apr 22, 2011
    When I saw the user reviews for this game, I was confused. What was all this "DLC" fuzz about? Paid DLC on PC? Valve would never, I say, never do such a thing. Cosmetic items for multiplayer yes, but DLC, no. So when I got home from vacation, I fired up Portal 2 yesterday and started playing. What a wonderful game. And certainly not a mediocre game that deserves less than 5/10. Anyone giving a score that low has no credibility and they are simply just butthurt or misinformed.

Anyways, the game is without a doubt fantastic. The controls are smooth, the graphics are gorgeous (The Source Engine still stands as one of the best graphics and physics engines on the market), the sound is glorious and the gameplay is simply amazing. The core gameplay from the first game has been kept, and the new puzzle features make a great addition. But even though the game looks sterile and very clean, it's definitely not for no-brainers. The puzzles get harder and harder, and there might come a point where you just decide to give up. I have certainly had moments like those. But the pacing is great, so the puzzles don't just start out easy and get hard immediately. It's a steady pace so everyone can come along.

And I have not even mentioned multiplayer yet.

The multiplayer is fantastic. With strangers, it's good. With friends, it's king! One of your mates (or a stranger), along with you take the roles of two robots that are sent through an unspeakable amount of test chambers and have to cooperate to get through them. Communicating is also easy, but it still has some hiccups here and there. Chat is available (press the T key on the PC) for those who wants to know.

That's all what I have to say about the game. See ya!
  6. May 7, 2011
    Portal 2 expands on the amazing foundations of Portal and creates a rich environment and story to parallel it's innovative gameplay. I enjoyed almost everything about this game. I only wish there were more game modes/maps to keep me playing. I hope they do DLC.
  7. Apr 22, 2011
    amazing game! what was a small time puzzle game is now an awesome single player campaign/adventure. in a world where countless developers are bringing us console port trash at least we have valve to look up to still.
  8. Apr 21, 2011
    Great fun, great humor and great graphic quality, even with the old engine. The ''fluids'' are something that I've never seen before, and the havock works perfectly. I think this is a masterpiece, something different from standard gameplay, but still intuitive and easy to understand. Go on with this kind of innovative games, valve!

Sorry for my bad English .
  9. May 14, 2011
    This is the PERFECT sequel, aside from Valve's other masterpiece sequel of which I don't even need to name. Everything that was awesome about Portal is here, only multiplied by ten. The puzzles are extraordinarily creative, and each new item to manipulate is more fun than the previous one. It's so rare to see a game have so many fun concepts that all work perfectly together. I think the one criticism that people are throwing at it is really unfair - that it's not original or it's too easy. This is baloney. Yes, it's not an entirely new concept, but it is packed to the brim with brilliant new ones and carries over just a few from the first game. It's much more diverse, there are more characters, there are fun plot twists...the list goes on. Since it does carry over a few concepts, some might say the game is too easy. But this is just a stupid point - if you have played the first one then you already know the solution to some of the sequels puzzles, and you are much more aware of the abstract ways to get to exits. It's not the developer's fault that they can't erase some of these standards from veteran's brains. If the first portal did not exist, this game would be labeled very difficult. There were times when I just sat back and thought through a puzzle, and the game would do this to me frequently over my 11 hour playthrough. I never once was completely stumped, as I was not in the first one. It's difficulty is just right. One last thing - the dialogue is fantastic and cannot be beat by any other game out there. The writing is just hilarious and the voice acting rises to meet this excellence. Don't hesitate to get this. I haven't even played Co-op yet but I have already had a good enough time to justify my purchase - and then some. Expand
  10. Apr 24, 2011
    Have only played the single player campaign. This is a very worthy sequel to the creative Portal 1. The core of the game is still solving puzzles, but they have added a number of new mechanics. The length is much longer, the storyline is better and the humor is even sharper than the original. The environment is improved beyond the sterile laboratory setting (although you'll still see plenty.) Voice acting by Ellen McClain, Stephen Merchant, and J.K. Simmons deliver some excellent and memorable lines.
    Cons: not much. The experiments occasionally become repetitive, while the new game mechanics- gels and light constructs- do not seem to be used to their full advantage. Level design outside the test chambers occasionally becomes confusing, a trade-off of Valve's tendency for realistic level design. Although you might get tired of the puzzles, this time around you'll keep playing for the dialogue and story.
  11. May 12, 2012
    I have very mixed feelings about this game: I had fun playing the single player, even if flawed, and the co-op is without a doubt a great addition. But still, this is definitely the MOST overrated game of the 2011. First of all, the single player has a good plot that, unlike the predecessor, has a very good pace, it always keeps up the curiosity and has good twists now and then. However, the puzzles in the single player are just "good", mainly because MANY resembles previous puzzles just in another format, and the new ideas (like the gels, the energy tunnels, the lightways, etc) are not used at their maximum, and in the end some of the puzzles just look similar to each others. I also heard complaints about the longevity, and I'm not totally sure: it lasted about 7 hours to me, without rushing or being too slow, but since nowadays "adventure games" (or fps, or whatever works for you) don't even last over 4 hours, I say it's "good". About the co-op, I initially had doubts, but when I played I finally witnessed how good it was: the puzzles there are very good thought and actually incite team work AND team thinking...wish they were the same in the single player. These maps infact are good, a LOT, so much that I wanted them so badly in the single player: they were challenging and I had fun to do them, because they were good, and I DARE you to do it with perfect strangers: yes, it is usually better with friends, I know, but If you can't find any friends to play with, these puzzles will make be extremely hard to complete, because I tried over 6 times, with random players, and none of them lasted until the end of ONE single section, leaving me behind and almost quitting this mode ( I have to thank a friend to help me out there, or else I wouldn't be able to judge this mode). It was a mass disappointment to discover that the co-op has good maps, and not the single player. And now, if you hadn't notice, I mainly said "good" from the start, and it is because this game is just good: it's not perfect because this game adds barely much: the co-op is a good addition yes but still this game felt more like an expansion (a costy one) with very few tweaks to the gameplay, and even if the plot is good and the co-op is very fun, I don't feel it is worth the full price (even though it's cheap as hell nowadays). I'm not saying it's a bad game anyway and actually I say to give it a try, especially the first Portal, if you like puzzle games, but it's definitely NOT the best game of the year 2011. Expand
  12. May 2, 2011
    I dont think i have ever played a game that makes me think really hard and have a blast playing it at the same time. i feel like the story is clever and the humor is a good addition to it and the gameplay is amazing i mean i know that valve is a group of smart people but there are SOOOOO MANY puzzels that are mind bending but you feel good when you finally figure it out. i would recommend this to people that are fans of valve or the first game or someone who just likes bending their wits end. This is one of the best games iv played out of the MANY MANY games i have played 10/10 Expand
  13. Apr 28, 2011
    Short review: hilarious one-liners make the game absolutely worth playing. Gameplay is as good as ever, co-op is a brain-bending blast, and characters are classic.
  14. May 1, 2011
    Portal 2 is fun and engaging, but certainly not game of the year caliber. Once more you are thrust into the brain bending realm of Portal where you, a single weapon and your wits are all that you have to survive. Unlike the first game which was a pursuit of the ever elusive cake, this game actually makes an attempt to create a more fleshed out plot with its own back story, which is cleverly threaded into the actual gameplay. Of course, after a few chambers of the back story levels, I found myself pining for something different. Gel's were a nice new twist, but they really broke the Portal vibe for me, and a few of the puzzles felt less like discovering how to get to the end and more like how to paint every surface until you find success. The voice acting was exceptionally well performed, and the sounds and musical queues that pop up when you're in the process of properly completing a puzzle was nice. The HL2 engine gets a nice face lift from this installment and looks pretty good, considering how old the engine is. My pair of GF275's were able to handle everything maxed out, which was quite refreshing. Expect between six to nine hours for the first play through, depending on how smart you really are. Aside from the back story test chambers which became stale all too quickly, everything seems like peaches and cream until you come the bugs that (still) plague the game. Playing it on a console would probably circumvent 99% of these problems and provide for a smooth and clean experience, but if you're like me and prefer the precision of a mouse and keyboard to a pair of clunky joysticks, be prepared for some bugs. Reports have been made regarding glitches in sequences not triggering properly, bosses failing to properly launch their payloads and overall glitches, crashes and system freezes. I, myself, had the luxurious experience of not having any of the slender push buttons load, so when I get to the second test chamber with the glass and the three buttons, I was rewarded with three sets of flashing ERROR signs. Since the entire complex is in a state of disrepair, I had no idea that this was not supposed to happen (as the glitch looked like it could have feasibly been there). After an hour of slamming my face on the keyboard, I broke down and went to youtube to see what I was supposed to do and learned the error signs were, in fact, not supposed to be part of the experience. No amount of verifying game files, deleting local content and reinstalling seemed to fix this particular bug. After several days, the problem was corrected (though what I did exactly, I have no idea) and I was able to continue playing, albeit with a sour note. Still, bugs aside, the core of the game itself is remarkably solid and the puzzles will give your brain some exercise. Too bad about the glitches, or the stale test chambers midway through the journey. Lastly, at $60 Portal 2 seems a bit overpriced. I would personally wait for it to come down to around $50 before thinking about making a purchase. Overall, Portal 2 was a fun and engaging game, once all the bugs were finally sorted out. Expand
  15. Apr 26, 2011
    You MUST play Portal 1 before playing this. Puzzles are easier then in Portal 1, but few times you just think what you should do. Game is fun and voice acting is great. Sometimes this linear "tunnel running" feels really limited.
    Most annoying things in Portal 2 is: Too small levels, and constant loading screens. Also, why there is multiplayer skinning that cost several
    dollars/euros/pounds instantly! For this reason, you just can't think if this is just another "try-make-quick-money" scheme... Too bad.

But if you want 5 to 7 hours of fun with small, not-too-hard puzzles. I recommend it! I do like Portal 2. Maybe it just need something more after playing thru? And I'm not talk about costly DLS's.
  16. May 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Instead of explaining why it's a 7, I'll explain why it's not a 10: 1) This was not a very puzzley puzzle game. It was very apparent most of the game how the player was supposed to complete the puzzle. In other words, it was very simple. Not a lot of thinking behind it, which would be fine if it wasn't meant to be that kind of game. So, in that aspect it failed. 2) The humor was clever (barely) at first, it soon got repetitive because all it was the whole time was sarcasm from the robots and Cave Johnson getting to the point, for lack of better words. It got old really fast. Cave Johnson did have a great voice actor though. 3) A combination of non re-playability and short campaign losses its 3rd point. Most of the story line was getting multiple test chambers further to get another tidbit of story. Now to the pros! :D Gels were a good addition, laser refraction was a good addition. The storyline, when there was one, was well done and original. Voice acting was great. Valve once again, had amazing art. Their textures are always amazing. It is a fun game while playing it the first time through, and considering it is a sequel, this game doesn't get any innovation points because anything innovative was done in the 1st game. Last thing and not about Portal 2 specifically: I love it when game companies make references to other games that they have made. In Portal/Portal 2 it was referring to Black Mesa being an inferior science conglomerate. It's always enjoyable for fans to have that deeper connection. Expand
  17. Apr 20, 2011
    i can't help but think those who voted this game down simply did so because they either a) couldn't get through the game because the puzzles were too difficult and felt the need to punish valve for their own incompetence b) automatically dislike anything the general public likes because they view their own opinion as 'unique' only if it conflicts with everyone else, or c) are just plain crazy.

this game was a BLAST. the puzzles were challenging, yet fun and rewarding. the story line was engrossing and entertaining. the humor was sadistic and ever-present, and the co-op made me LAUGH TILL I CRIED at the joy of sending teammates to their untimely deaths at the hands of the game's deadly environs. was it short? a bit, but this game was an experience worthy of valve's reputation for quality, and definitely worth the $50. if you have the patience and mental faculties to wrap your mind around game play mechanics not found in any other game to solve some very interesting and challenging puzzles, and you just love good games, buy this one. if you don't like it, refer to my first statement.
  18. Apr 29, 2011
    absolutely awesome everyone must buy! best game out on ps3 this year! 'nuf said.. to begin with the story is all u'd expect from valve with quirky humour and great writing, the puzzles are hard and the multiplayer is awesome. what is not to like? this game is a MUST BUY, it is absolutely awesome!!!! :)
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    Full disclaimer: I'm only about an hour in, but I've already realized that Portal 2 is everything that was great about the first game and then some. It's got incredible dialogue, challening puzzles and a certain charm to it that just isn't found in a lot of other games. Yes, the graphics aren't the selling point here (what Valve game sells itself on graphics anyway) but the gameplay is phenomenal. Highly recommended for fans of the puzzle genre. Expand
  20. Apr 21, 2011
    Great puzzle game and great characters. It took me about 8 hours to beat the single player story and I didn't really get stuck anywhere. The puzzles are generally pretty easy if you're familiar with the mindset of how a portal works from the first game. They did introduce some new mechanics with "gels" which stick to surfaces and have modify the surfaces to have special properties. If you're wary of the $49.99 price tag (Steam) because you've never played portal before, I'd suggest picking up the Portal 1 first. If you have played the first portal, I suspect you'll have a similar opinion as you did for the first one because it plays almost the same. I haven't played the co-op mode yet (and probably won't), but the single-player story might get one more playthrough. Also Stephen Merchant is hilarious. Expand
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is the perfect sequel to a much beloved game. Valve has built and expanded upon what made Portal such a great experience. The added puzzle elements get you to think in new ways. The music is an experience all in it self, I will be getting a soundtrack asap. The script has the same dark sense of humor that made Portal such a comical joy to play. I have heard complaints about the length of the game. Portal 2 is NOT a 4 hour game, I have heard an average of 6 - 8 hours plus the co-op which should add an extra 3 -4 hours that is at least on par with most action games I have played. The quality of the game is outstanding and I think people have lost a appreciation for quality and instead are judging games on $ to gameplay ratio. If we are going to start doing this everybody may as well just stop buying games and play WOW. Expand
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply put, this game is excellent and exactly what was promised. The original Portal made us think about our games in a new way. This game doesn't aim to do the same, but to build on this framework and bring it up to the next level. The Portal universe has been expanded and refined to create a much longer and richly storied world than its predecessor. There are a lot of complaints being lobbed (like you might a potato!) at Valve and most of them are just plain unreasonable and unjustified.

The game is very well paced and seems similar in length to any other FPS style game. As of writing this I'm about 4 hours in and I would be shocked if everything gets wrapped up in the next 30 minutes to an hour of playtime. Anyone finishing it in 4 hours is truly not paying any attention to the absolutely stunning world the game takes place in. There are countless hidden areas to find and the care and love that went into building this expanded universe is obvious.

The pre-launch campaign was brilliant and funny (and completely optional). Many of complaining that they wasted their time and money to only expedite the launch by a few hours. The full retail value of the Potato Sack on Steam was nearly $200 and you were able to buy it for less than a quarter of that. I already own several of the games but I jumped on that deal solely for what it was: a great deal for a bunch of great games. Not to mention you are supporting small and indie developers with your purchase. As for the time wasted playing the games to speed up the launch: We were helping to reboot Glados, did you honestly expect her to keep her word entirely? [This is probably one of the best and most widely executed April Fool's jokes I've seen and I loved it]

Day 1 DLC - Is entirely cosmetic for co-op mode. Again, if you don't want it then don't buy it. Valve is simply supplying a subset of their customer base with things they love... Hats! I don't see how people can be angry about this, how is it any different than buying hats for Team Fortress 2?

Who cares if this is a console port? I'm running the game on max settings. It looks gorgeous and plays like a dream. If it is a console port then every other company that tries to port to a PC needs to talk to Valve and figure out how to do it this well.

The bottom line is that this is an amazing next step in the evolution of the Portal universe. The game play is smart, the world is beautiful, the dialogue is funny and amazingly voiced. I won't go so far as to say this is the best game ever, but it is a great game. Valve as always delivers an incredibly well polished game that meets or exceeds expectations on every level. I strongly urge you to pick up this title. Enjoy the scenery, the dialogue and the experience. You won't be disappointed.
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    Ok, i'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible: 1) everyone giving this game a low score is a troll, don't listen to them. 2) graphics are amazing 3) sound design is the best i've seen in a while 4) campaign is short, but has so much gameplay packed into it 5) co-op is amazingly fun 6) end credits song = best credits ever 7) it is a HILLARIOUS game 8) directed to the troll reviewers out there. if you don't want to pay to customise your robot, then don't customise your robot. Expand
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was an amazing game, a lot better than first Portal. I had lots of fun while playing it, it could have been slightly longer tho, but i guess considering how the story went, if it was any longer, it would have probably just dragged the story on too much. Quality over quantity in this case.
    Ive spend over 14h in the game already and its still fun to play.
    Music in the game was
    awesome and fit it very well (and ending song was even better than Still Alive).
    Dialog was funny and characters had nice personalities.. i mean, even co-op _robots_ have more personality than characters in most games nowdays.

Also everyone else who wants to review the game with negative feedback..please stop bringing the ARG to the reviews you idiots, the ARG is not Portal 2 so you dont need to goddamn review it.

Also unlike what many rage reviewers say, Portal 2 is nowhere near a console port.
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    Once again Valve has created a great game. Once again many of its "fans" are whiny and dont understand the concept of the game. If you dont like the game because it is only 6-8 hours long singleplayer and you cant find a friend to co-op with, or because you genuinely dont like the amazing voice acting, or the graphics (that while not top of the line, are not bad either.) then that is fine. But dont like to other fans. Expand
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    Wonderful story, beautiful dialog, stunning gameplay. It all adds up to be a perfect game, because of one small small detail. The store. Unless valve have big plans for new Co-Op maps and features the shop serves little purpose. However as with TF2 (to start with) the cosmetic addons serve no purpose than making you look stupid. This game is one of my all time favourites, and it only game out yesterday! I'm in love. Will be playing many more times. I would give the game 98% or a 10/10 Expand
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is amazing. Great story, great humour, fantastic visuals (even more so considering the age of the Source engine) and all in all, pretty much perfect. My only problem was the number of loading screens. I would've preferred loading to happen in the lifts with amusing commentary to keep me company, but whatever.

Now, on to those so called issues people are giving the game low scores
    for: - Day 1 DLC? So what? It's totally non-essential and A BIT OF FUN in what is a LIGHT HEARTED COMEDY game. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't complain. Idiot. - Short game? Took me around 7 - 8 hours. I didn't treat it as a race so I could brag to people how much of a geek I am. I took in all the lines of dialogue and did some exploration. Only about 3 of the puzzles really challenged me, but they were mostly down to me overcomplicating things in my head. - The ARG/Potatosack/early release really have NOTHING to do with the game. If all that was a problem for you, take it up with Valve.

BUY THIS GAME.
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    Very solid game. All of what you expect from Portal specifically and Valve in general is there. Only weak parts for me was a particular chapter toward the middle-end of game involving the founder of Aperature Science. But that "weakness" was minor mostly a taste issue. My breakdown:

Graphics: Source is aging exceptionally well, no weakness here. Gameplay: Riffs around the same
    theme from the original Portal. This is a good thing
    Plot/dialog: Best in class.
    Time to play single player: For me (I grind, don't rush, explore every nook and cranny): 8+ hours
    Time for co-op: TBD, havent done it yet, plan to this week-end
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    It seems that nearly all of the reviews that rate Portal 2 a 0-3 quote that the game only lasts 4 hours. This is an inaccurate report, these reviewers must be trolls and these reviews should be removed from Metacritic's Portal 2 review sight.
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    First of all I would like to make it clear to those who aren't sure, yes you do HAVE to play Portal before Portal 2! it continues the story and further explores the unique universe introduced in the first game, if you skip it not only do you deny yourself the full dramatic effect of Portal 2, but also COMPLETELY ruin the first game and it's amazing plot twists. Portal 1 is amazing, a great introduction to portal mechanics, very short, very cheap and lots of people on Steam have gift copies anyway â Expand

1. Oct 20, 2011