8.8

1. Apr 19, 2011
    This game didn't really live up to the amount of hype created. It seems like a quick buck for valve to found episode 3. The gameplay has been improved from the original and the graphics+sound are superior even though it's on the source engine as well. I found the early puzzles to be amusing but hardly challenging, yet as the game progresses the difficulty is increased largely after theThis game didn't really live up to the amount of hype created. It seems like a quick buck for valve to found episode 3. The gameplay has been improved from the original and the graphics+sound are superior even though it's on the source engine as well. I found the early puzzles to be amusing but hardly challenging, yet as the game progresses the difficulty is increased largely after the 13th area. Overall it was a worthwhile game but did not live up to the massive amount of hype it created. Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    Don't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and IDon't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and I never had to think about it more than some minutes. And 6 hours of fun for that price is definitively not enough. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    I feel somewhat let down. I mean its not bad but it is not as good as the original. The humor was well written and the characters well played but it kind of lacked the forwardness the first one had, the only thing that kept me going was to find out the ending and to find the hidden experiment which was mentioned in an achievement. The propulsion repulsion and convulsion gels seemed a bitI feel somewhat let down. I mean its not bad but it is not as good as the original. The humor was well written and the characters well played but it kind of lacked the forwardness the first one had, the only thing that kept me going was to find out the ending and to find the hidden experiment which was mentioned in an achievement. The propulsion repulsion and convulsion gels seemed a bit too far in the sense of the game.
    Last of all was the co-op, i didn't play that ( and i might not at all) wasn't really needed and the Mann Co type store with it shows valve is just wanting to eat money.

I wouldn't really recommend this to a casual gamer, but only to someone who is a big valve or portal fan,
    and even then they might still be a bit disappointed.
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 1 was brilliant. Short but sweet. Packed with interesting ways of using the portal gun.

Portal 2, by comparison, is grand but bland. When i say grand, I do mean comparitively. Most will have the single player campaign finished in 4-7 hours depending on how good you are at these games. The coop will add around 2-3 hours to that. While I didn't find that an issue paticularly, what i did find was the really bland gameplay, despite the features. All you end up doing through most of the game is looking for the next obscure spot that you can put up the portal. You don't have to think really when doing the puzzles, more just poke around a lot. That said, there were a couple of moments where you turn around and think, "That was awesome," but it's back to the mundane from there.

I could go on, but simply put, this game is gripping in the way that someone grabs you, pins you to a wall... and just holds you there for a few hours. Not worth the price tag unless our a dedicated portal fan.
  5. Sep 15, 2014
    An enjoyable game, especially in the first half. I did feel it dragged on a bit though. Later in the game it got a little bit repetitive and boring climbing through random sites and ladders. But the majority of the rooms and puzzles are clever and rewarding. I liked the progressive difficulty and array of the puzzles too.
  6. Dec 15, 2014
    Even though this is a very good game, it does not make much sense to figure in the top ten ever best pc games. It's entertaining and the scenarios are interesting to walk around and figure out the puzzles. But story is not so compelling and action is limited. Definitely one of the best PUZZLE games I've played.
  7. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good game. I don't care about DLC, so I won't mention it after here. It makes no difference to me, anyway. The 'story' is funny (it's not a proper story, but more of a story stub:- not that that necessarily detracts from the game!); and the new additions to the puzzle mechanics are clever, and well thought out. However, it's too easy. And therefore, too short. I get thePortal 2 is a good game. I don't care about DLC, so I won't mention it after here. It makes no difference to me, anyway. The 'story' is funny (it's not a proper story, but more of a story stub:- not that that necessarily detracts from the game!); and the new additions to the puzzle mechanics are clever, and well thought out. However, it's too easy. And therefore, too short. I get the impression that Valve may have dumbed the game down to appeal to a wider audience. This isn't vain bluster; I am sure that I lie in the average completion time for the game. But at 5 to 6 hours, that's not enough for a game of this price. Granted, the co-op adds another 3 or 4, but for a game that has, by its nature, no replay value, that is not enough to justify the price tag.

Portal 1 was great because it was cheap, unique, and brilliantly challenging. Of course the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rings true here, but I personally feel that Valve could've employed a little extra time in padding out the game's length, because I didn't want to finish this within 48 hours of installing it.

I also feel that the critic score here is too high, for the same reason. The score of 96 puts this game 2% higher than Mass Effect 2; and that (in my opinion) is just not right.
  8. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game but way to easy. Obviously has been dumbed down for the console controllers. Got to the end and it seemed like it should have been the mid point where the puzzles got actually challenging but not to be.
  9. Apr 21, 2011
    Another great game by valve, highly polished and the graphics are good. Singleplayer is around 6 hours long if you get the hang of it, co-op is around 3-4 hours. What I find dissapointing is the lack of a deeper concept behind portal 2; Nnither the co-op nor sngleplayer offer much replay value. As the old formula in portal 1 of solving tests and "escaping" etc. was established i expectedAnother great game by valve, highly polished and the graphics are good. Singleplayer is around 6 hours long if you get the hang of it, co-op is around 3-4 hours. What I find dissapointing is the lack of a deeper concept behind portal 2; Nnither the co-op nor sngleplayer offer much replay value. As the old formula in portal 1 of solving tests and "escaping" etc. was established i expected some development into making portal into more than a puzzle game with a story like its predecessor. Sadly this was not so, though a brilliant concept and game its structure is such that once you have played through it there is not much to bring you back to play it more than a few times. Lastly portal 2 weighs in at a hefty £30 ($45) on PC more than the cost of the orange box which included 5 amazingly developed games. Portal 2 plays though like a well developed game and you'd be hard pressed to not have fun. But AAA titles at this price have an expectation to deliver a long well developed game thats fun to play. Portal 2 is fun and well developed but its a bit much to ask for £30 for a game with such little replay value. The original portal came with 4 other games and many titles such as Mass effect, Crysis 2, Fallout 3 at this price range have Mutliplayer or multiple ways of playing through the game to greatly boost their playtime beyond the 20 hour mark.

I enjoyed portal 2, but i completed the singleplayer and the co-op in a day, (10 hours). Today i just went through the game again and did all but one of the SP achievements, but i feel a bit let down as i'm already getting bored as I've run out of interest having cleared all the content before. IMO portal 2 feels like it was rushed out of development to meet the console demand for it. Closing comments: A good game with fun gameplay, not a lot of content and no replay value, for its price tag i expected more but it's still a great game.
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    This is my best game ever. I'm a fan of Portal and this new Opus is clearly extremly great.

Good job writing, excellent level design, clever gameplay, good narrative rhythm, and the new character Weatley is extremely well located and efficiently. Only downside : the splashscreen during loading times and loading times too often. But with the quality behind it, we can only forgive him. A

But with the quality behind it, we can only forgive him.

A fine lesson in video games, Makes 99% of production videogame bland in comparison.
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is simply awesome. the graphics are great, the voice-acting is good, the story is good although i saw the plot-twists coming from miles away. the length of the game was initially a tiny bit disappointing, but if i think about it: Portal 2 relies purely on the portal-gun and i suppose that after ~8 hours that can get repetitive for most average players. the only real weak spot inPortal 2 is simply awesome. the graphics are great, the voice-acting is good, the story is good although i saw the plot-twists coming from miles away. the length of the game was initially a tiny bit disappointing, but if i think about it: Portal 2 relies purely on the portal-gun and i suppose that after ~8 hours that can get repetitive for most average players. the only real weak spot in portal 2 is the Co-Op mode. apparently valve believes that everybody has a friend who has portal 2 as well which isn't the case for most players. this leads to an unequal gameplay for most when being partnered with random people (if one has done the test already and knows the solution then the other player can't discover the solution on his/her own and gets it explained to.which takes the fun out of it). i had the luck to be teamed up with one who has just started to play too, but there are other who won't be that lucky.
    that aside. Portal 2 is a great game and was definitely worth my time and money and i look forward to play trough it again in a month when i forgot most of the rooms. i don't understand why people are so furious at the game. its been quite a while since valve brought out any (large) single-player games and i do think they have done quite a good job. the only thing i do hate about portal 2 is the attempt to make money on in-game apparel for a Co-op mode that can be finished in a few hours during which only your partner sees you. i find that plain ridiculous
  12. Apr 25, 2011
    Brazilian Portuguese / Português Brasileiro: No inicio, o jogo é bastante apresentado, gráficos bons , trilha sonora ótima e gameplay consideravelmente bom. O grande problema desse titulo é a história que além de confusa tem uma pessima ligação com a históriaBrazilian Portuguese / Português Brasileiro: No inicio, o jogo é bastante apresentado, gráficos bons , trilha sonora ótima e gameplay consideravelmente bom. O grande problema desse titulo é a história que além de confusa tem uma pessima ligação com a história do portal 1. Além da grande espectativa criada pela valve com diversos videos altamente ufanicos. Outro problema encontrado é a falta dos "Pneumatic Diversity Ven" e que durante o jogo, gasta-se bastante tempo ensinando a usar os recursos e praticamente nada em realmente coloca-los em pratica em testes bem elaborados. Expand
  13. May 2, 2011
    Very fun, very funny, very short. Not worth the price of admission. Portal 2 should be priced at $30-$35, tops. It's a terrible value in gaming with very little replayability. And waiting for DLC to trickle in isn't worth paying $50-$60. If you don't mind the price, go for it. But don't complain if you feel ripped off despite the fun experience.
  14. Jul 16, 2011
    Definitely not worth the $50 that Valve's been selling it for. Glad I got it during its half-off sale. For the amount of gameplay you get (8 hours for me) and the overall quality of the game, $30 is a more reasonable price. But that's if they didn't then shake you down for co-op robot customization DLC. As others have pointed out, the polish of this game is phenomenal; the models,Definitely not worth the $50 that Valve's been selling it for. Glad I got it during its half-off sale. For the amount of gameplay you get (8 hours for me) and the overall quality of the game, $30 is a more reasonable price. But that's if they didn't then shake you down for co-op robot customization DLC. As others have pointed out, the polish of this game is phenomenal; the models, textures, environments, and animations are all top-notch work and quite believable. The puzzles are generally very good and I liked all the new mechanics that were added. I wish there were a few more puzzles with the gels plus some of the more traditional mechanics, though. The part that bums me out the most about Portal 2 is the story. It's very convoluted and gets rather stale towards the end. Unlike the first Portal, the story breaks into what I think is the main draw of the game, the puzzles, too much. Expand
  15. May 14, 2013
    Portal 2 suffers from too much of a good thing syndrome. Yes this game is fun and yes the game mechanics are sound, but after the first portal game this one has a tough act to follow. It does everything right and very little wrong, but after awhile it does indeed become too much of a good thing and even though its not a bad thing. I found my self getting over exposed to the game whilePortal 2 suffers from too much of a good thing syndrome. Yes this game is fun and yes the game mechanics are sound, but after the first portal game this one has a tough act to follow. It does everything right and very little wrong, but after awhile it does indeed become too much of a good thing and even though its not a bad thing. I found my self getting over exposed to the game while actually playing the game. Portal 2 doesn't really do anything wrong, but how much chocolate can you eat over and over again? Expand
  16. Jun 2, 2011
    Valve did a good job story telling, but not a satisfying job entertaining and challenging the previous Portal players. I understand that people wanted to learn more about GlaDOs, but I feel the extra back-story about her was unnecessary. Once you finish the single and co-op campaigns, there's not much else you can do. Sure, you could replay the campaigns, but what happened to the extraValve did a good job story telling, but not a satisfying job entertaining and challenging the previous Portal players. I understand that people wanted to learn more about GlaDOs, but I feel the extra back-story about her was unnecessary. Once you finish the single and co-op campaigns, there's not much else you can do. Sure, you could replay the campaigns, but what happened to the extra bonus levels and challenges we saw in the first Portal game? Overall, I had a fun time progressing through the game, but at the end, I was disappointed. Expand
  17. Apr 29, 2011
    It's not a heavenly portal but it most certainly manages to entertain. The story incorporates many darkly humorous elements to support a gameplay that is thoroughly thought invoking. All throughout the obstacles change enough to keep you occupied but not so much as to make you feel lost. The threads spin together and as the game progresses it gets more interesting growing with itsIt's not a heavenly portal but it most certainly manages to entertain. The story incorporates many darkly humorous elements to support a gameplay that is thoroughly thought invoking. All throughout the obstacles change enough to keep you occupied but not so much as to make you feel lost. The threads spin together and as the game progresses it gets more interesting growing with its mechanics and the telling. Towards the finale there is a lot to see and the ending sequences are terrifically fun. If physical puzzles and science humor are your cup of tea then so ought this. Expand
  18. Apr 30, 2011
    First, the positive: The first fourth of the game is brilliant, the second fourth is good, and after the trainwreck that is the next two fourths, they manage to recover with an ending that surpasses the original. The writing team was on their game for the introduction scenes and the dialog is witty and well-written, however, many of the gags are repeats or based on the same patternsFirst, the positive: The first fourth of the game is brilliant, the second fourth is good, and after the trainwreck that is the next two fourths, they manage to recover with an ending that surpasses the original. The writing team was on their game for the introduction scenes and the dialog is witty and well-written, however, many of the gags are repeats or based on the same patterns already established in the original. The gameplay is fun as it introduces the different concepts after GLaDOS's re-awakening.

However, after it finishes introducing the concepts the negatives begin.

The negatives: First, the game was designed primarily with consoles in mind, likely for marketing reasons (you can charge console gamers more and they are more likely to pay it). Unfortunately, this shows in the actual design of the game-- there are no puzzles which require finesse to perform-- i.e. chaining portals while in air to get to a destination. In fact, very few can actually be considered actual puzzles. Often the only difficulty involved in solving these is looking for an obscure section of wall that you can hit with the portal gun. So rather than an intellectual exercise, it's more of an observational one. I am positive that the marketing team, during playtests, had idiots come in and get frustrated when they actually made a challenging puzzle, and so they kept dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator crowd until the element of challenge was nearly all gone.

The gels could have been fun. They weren't. They were poorly introduced and then sort of slopped about levels rather than intelligently integrated into the game. It was a fun concept that panned out poorly in practice.

Then we have the horrible parts of the writing-- basically, whenever the authors attempt to step outside of the bounds of the original and try to make GLaDOS a sympathetic character or "deepen" GLaDOS. It backfires horribly and undermines her core character rather than reinforcing it. The ending manages to salvage this a little, but it still was a very disappointing failure on the part of the writing staff. The obviously predictable "twist: was the worst part of the game. And the hammering in of certain lines "HE WAS PROGRAMMED TO BE AN IDIOT." "DID I TELL YOU HE WAS PROGRAMMED TO BE A MORON." "HE IS A MORON, DO YOU GET IT". Was absolutely painful. It betrays the most important maxim of writing "Show. Don't tell." The entire writing staff should understand that they failed to create a compelling story here. They could have salvaged this easily if they had just considered this: There is something more dangerous than a genius trying to kill you. It is an idiot trying to save you, particularly when the idiot has access to lasers, spikes, buttons, and an entire gadget factory.

The ending, as mentioned, makes up for some of the failings of the game and manages to give us a pleasant send off. However, it's not worth anything more than $30 and they would have made a better game if less Marketing people were involved. The original Portal was good because it was actually brave-- if you couldn't figure out a puzzle the game wasn't going to dumb it down. It actually respected the player's intelligence. This one didn't. At all.

All in all I give the game a 7.6. The original Portal was original. Rather than stand on the shoulder of giants and make something incredible, this game simply puts a hat on something that was already good.
  19. May 1, 2011
    Portal 2 is fun and engaging, but certainly not game of the year caliber. Once more you are thrust into the brain bending realm of Portal where you, a single weapon and your wits are all that you have to survive. Unlike the first game which was a pursuit of the ever elusive cake, this game actually makes an attempt to create a more fleshed out plot with its own back story, which isPortal 2 is fun and engaging, but certainly not game of the year caliber. Once more you are thrust into the brain bending realm of Portal where you, a single weapon and your wits are all that you have to survive. Unlike the first game which was a pursuit of the ever elusive cake, this game actually makes an attempt to create a more fleshed out plot with its own back story, which is cleverly threaded into the actual gameplay. Of course, after a few chambers of the back story levels, I found myself pining for something different. Gel's were a nice new twist, but they really broke the Portal vibe for me, and a few of the puzzles felt less like discovering how to get to the end and more like how to paint every surface until you find success. The voice acting was exceptionally well performed, and the sounds and musical queues that pop up when you're in the process of properly completing a puzzle was nice. The HL2 engine gets a nice face lift from this installment and looks pretty good, considering how old the engine is. My pair of GF275's were able to handle everything maxed out, which was quite refreshing. Expect between six to nine hours for the first play through, depending on how smart you really are. Aside from the back story test chambers which became stale all too quickly, everything seems like peaches and cream until you come the bugs that (still) plague the game. Playing it on a console would probably circumvent 99% of these problems and provide for a smooth and clean experience, but if you're like me and prefer the precision of a mouse and keyboard to a pair of clunky joysticks, be prepared for some bugs. Reports have been made regarding glitches in sequences not triggering properly, bosses failing to properly launch their payloads and overall glitches, crashes and system freezes. I, myself, had the luxurious experience of not having any of the slender push buttons load, so when I get to the second test chamber with the glass and the three buttons, I was rewarded with three sets of flashing ERROR signs. Since the entire complex is in a state of disrepair, I had no idea that this was not supposed to happen (as the glitch looked like it could have feasibly been there). After an hour of slamming my face on the keyboard, I broke down and went to youtube to see what I was supposed to do and learned the error signs were, in fact, not supposed to be part of the experience. No amount of verifying game files, deleting local content and reinstalling seemed to fix this particular bug. After several days, the problem was corrected (though what I did exactly, I have no idea) and I was able to continue playing, albeit with a sour note. Still, bugs aside, the core of the game itself is remarkably solid and the puzzles will give your brain some exercise. Too bad about the glitches, or the stale test chambers midway through the journey. Lastly, at $60 Portal 2 seems a bit overpriced. I would personally wait for it to come down to around $50 before thinking about making a purchase. Overall, Portal 2 was a fun and engaging game, once all the bugs were finally sorted out. Expand
  20. May 6, 2011
    Not a bad game, but not a revolutionary step forward. It takes the same gameplay as the first Portal, expands it a little bit, and stretches the game time out a little. Even with co-op, I think the content is a little weak for the $60 price tag. The puzzles seem less aggravating as the first game - I never once had to read a walk-through online. But, now that it's beaten, I really don'tNot a bad game, but not a revolutionary step forward. It takes the same gameplay as the first Portal, expands it a little bit, and stretches the game time out a little. Even with co-op, I think the content is a little weak for the $60 price tag. The puzzles seem less aggravating as the first game - I never once had to read a walk-through online. But, now that it's beaten, I really don't have any inclination to pick it up and play again. Expand
  21. Nov 15, 2011
    if you liked portal 1 and want more of the same with a little bit more this is it fun and funny game all round A1 game . Only issue i have is the loading screens almost every puzzle..
    its just long enuff to be fun performance is well its a valve game so 200fps and it looks good very clean
  22. May 12, 2012
    I have very mixed feelings about this game: I had fun playing the single player, even if flawed, and the co-op is without a doubt a great addition. But still, this is definitely the MOST overrated game of the 2011. First of all, the single player has a good plot that, unlike the predecessor, has a very good pace, it always keeps up the curiosity and has good twists now and then. However,I have very mixed feelings about this game: I had fun playing the single player, even if flawed, and the co-op is without a doubt a great addition. But still, this is definitely the MOST overrated game of the 2011. First of all, the single player has a good plot that, unlike the predecessor, has a very good pace, it always keeps up the curiosity and has good twists now and then. However, the puzzles in the single player are just "good", mainly because MANY resembles previous puzzles just in another format, and the new ideas (like the gels, the energy tunnels, the lightways, etc) are not used at their maximum, and in the end some of the puzzles just look similar to each others. I also heard complaints about the longevity, and I'm not totally sure: it lasted about 7 hours to me, without rushing or being too slow, but since nowadays "adventure games" (or fps, or whatever works for you) don't even last over 4 hours, I say it's "good". About the co-op, I initially had doubts, but when I played I finally witnessed how good it was: the puzzles there are very good thought and actually incite team work AND team thinking...wish they were the same in the single player. These maps infact are good, a LOT, so much that I wanted them so badly in the single player: they were challenging and I had fun to do them, because they were good, and I DARE you to do it with perfect strangers: yes, it is usually better with friends, I know, but If you can't find any friends to play with, these puzzles will make be extremely hard to complete, because I tried over 6 times, with random players, and none of them lasted until the end of ONE single section, leaving me behind and almost quitting this mode ( I have to thank a friend to help me out there, or else I wouldn't be able to judge this mode). It was a mass disappointment to discover that the co-op has good maps, and not the single player. And now, if you hadn't notice, I mainly said "good" from the start, and it is because this game is just good: it's not perfect because this game adds barely much: the co-op is a good addition yes but still this game felt more like an expansion (a costy one) with very few tweaks to the gameplay, and even if the plot is good and the co-op is very fun, I don't feel it is worth the full price (even though it's cheap as hell nowadays). I'm not saying it's a bad game anyway and actually I say to give it a try, especially the first Portal, if you like puzzle games, but it's definitely NOT the best game of the year 2011. Expand
  23. Nov 13, 2012
    The graphics are acceptable,the History Line is amusing. The game play is a puzzle, but it don't have re playability, the game play in some point is boring, they could put more action.
  24. Mar 17, 2013
    It was 2009 when I first played Portal, it instantly became one of my favourite games, I praise on it's deep, dark, sorrowful storyline and ambiance. After I bought Portal 2, I was met broken expectation and new experiences, it's no deep, mysterious like Portal anymore but instead a quite cheerful and sharp game, I was not so impressed of it's new tone of ambiance and music, and it's openIt was 2009 when I first played Portal, it instantly became one of my favourite games, I praise on it's deep, dark, sorrowful storyline and ambiance. After I bought Portal 2, I was met broken expectation and new experiences, it's no deep, mysterious like Portal anymore but instead a quite cheerful and sharp game, I was not so impressed of it's new tone of ambiance and music, and it's open and clear storyline, but to the fact that it's an experience every gamer should come across off, I would say the original Portal would have entertained me more. Expand
  25. Aug 5, 2013
    A vast improvement upon the original, but still insanely over-hyped, fun for a while, but can't see myself playing through multiple times. A solid puzzle game.
  26. Apr 23, 2011
    Gameplay is great but story and visuals really are disappointing. After finishing the game you most likely never play single player again co-op is fun but short. good game for a weekend but not worth 40£ (60$) if you are short of money
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is a great game that i enjoyed all the way through. I thought the length was decent, all though i would have liked it too have been longer simply because i enjoyed it so much. The story line was good as well. My main problem with the game is that there isn't any replay value. There are no extra test rooms for finishing the game. there are no levels of hardness for the test rooms. Once you have finished, that is it. As good as the game was the lack of replay value is disappointing and i would have given it a larger score if their had been some extra game play choices (and not just DLC). Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    Coming from a person who has a unbiased perception of Portal, I though Portal 1 didn't deserve all the praise since it was relatively easy. Don't worry though, Portal 2 is better than 1. Except it only had about 2 hard stages in Singleplayer, and another 2 hard stages in co-op. The rest of the game is purely simple. I may even call it "casual". And despite what some 10 ratings will haveComing from a person who has a unbiased perception of Portal, I though Portal 1 didn't deserve all the praise since it was relatively easy. Don't worry though, Portal 2 is better than 1. Except it only had about 2 hard stages in Singleplayer, and another 2 hard stages in co-op. The rest of the game is purely simple. I may even call it "casual". And despite what some 10 ratings will have you believe, I thought it was still short since it doesn't really have re-playability. Enough of that, the writing in Portal 2 is masterful. One of the games with the best writing in it. It was hilarious clever and Cave Johnson is THE man! If there was a writing award for gaming, which I think there is, Portal 2 will win hands down, no contest. Expand
  29. Apr 22, 2011
    I had a lot of fun playing the tutorials in this game. The little flying robot cracks me up with its British accent. The level design is brilliant and I am sure everyone can have some fun at some point.
    Although this is a FPS, it's more of a puzzle game. Once you get that concept, you won't complain that you are not obliterating lively things. * Does not worth the full retail price to me thou, this game has no replay value at all and it's short. Once you beat it, you wouldn't want to play again because you already knew all the solutions *
  30. Apr 25, 2011
    I haven't played Portal 1 and I have only played the single player mode of Portal 2, let's get that out of the way. Overall, the gameplay was enjoyable. The puzzles were predominantly easy to navigate, however there were a few that I found quite challenging. For those, I had to stop playing for the day, so I could return with a fresh mind. I would say all puzzles were perfectly crafted,I haven't played Portal 1 and I have only played the single player mode of Portal 2, let's get that out of the way. Overall, the gameplay was enjoyable. The puzzles were predominantly easy to navigate, however there were a few that I found quite challenging. For those, I had to stop playing for the day, so I could return with a fresh mind. I would say all puzzles were perfectly crafted, nonethless. It took me 6 hours to complete the game. The pace of the game and the actual premise of the story itself were good. I enjoyed exlopring the world of Aperture. The graphics and level design were immersive, and Valve is to be commended for that. The story took a while to engage me. The characters had strong voice acting performances, but I did not find them anywhere near as funny as most other reviews seem to suggest. The humour was forced, and certainly not on my wavelength. In the last hour I kept hoping that the doors marked 'exit' would let me leave, and alleviate me of my boredom. Overall, it was a positive experience, and in hindsight, I would probably have made the US$49 purchase again. I do not believe this game deserves a 9 or 10 as others have done. As a single player compaign, it was far less engaging to me than the campaigns of Starcraft II or GTA IV, which I would consider solid 9s, or even Black Ops, which I would consider a good 8. Verdict: 7/10, about as fun as Plants vs Zombies. Expand
  31. Apr 23, 2011
    Downloaded Portal 2 48 hours ago. Played it through (not rushing - stopping now and then to look around) but did the lot in 3 hours 20 minutes.
    The puzzles have moved on a bit since Portal 1, and I know there are multiplayer options (I dislike multiplayer games) So for me (and I know this is my fault becasue of my aversion for multiplayer) £35 for less than three and a half hours play time is probably the worst value I've ever got out of a game. Sure it's fun. the game plays well, it's beautifully scripted, and I'm not going to give it a "h8orz" score, but over £10 per hour is worse value than Max Payne 2 was 8 years ago.
    If you think you will enjoy the multiplayer (why do I always end up with some sweary nasty little 16 year old whenever I try my hand at MP games) then this game might "just" be worth the slightly over the average price tag.
    It took me longer to complete Defense Grid than this (and that cost me £2.99 and I think I ienjoyed it more) I would have given this 8 or 9 had it cost £10 - but for £35 ($55) for a single player game most will complete well inside an afternoon, I can only give it 6

1. Oct 20, 2011