8.8

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Great writing. Amazing voice acting. Detailed story, adding a lot to the Half life lore.
    Could have been longer, but satisfying none the less.
    I see no reason to complain about DLC. I would expect this will help fund more free content and updates. ie TF2's 198 patches since launch.
    Quality well polished game.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    this game is sick. all the haters out there are just pissed because the single player was short, boo hoo. there is a 12 hour multiplayer campaign that is totally separate. valve made a great game and all the lonely people who bought it and are complaining need some friends.
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Better than the original, improved gameplay and visuals, a lot longer (single-player took me roughly 8-9 hours) and a lot more humour in my opinion, too. The voice acting was also phenomenal. I can only recommend to purchase this game, especially if you have a good friend to play the coop with. On a side note: The DLC are merely cosmetic, so there really is no need to be so angry about it.
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the guys trolling here - Portal 2 is just awesome in every aspect!
    - Potato Sack rip off? You did not have to buy it if you don't like the games it contains. Why criticize Portal 2 for that?
    - Pricey ingame items? Sure, they are not the cheapest things around, but again, you don't have to buy them.
    Incredibly good co-op gameplay, you won't find anything better out there.
    The Dialogs are very funny, Puzzles are challenging, everything is just incredibly good! Expand
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    Easily the best game of the year. I don't see why people are complaining about things that have nothing to do with the actual game itself (i.e. why didn't it release earlier because I played the potato sack). That's too bad but why rate the game a 0 when this is easily the game of the year. The gameplay here is so unique and immersive that it's unlike anything else I've played, I wish we would have more innovative games like this. Thank you Valve, you've done it again. Expand
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent. Above and Beyond the original in every way. Hilarious scripting, updated graphics (slightly), and outstanding, memorable gameplay make this the ultimate game so far this year.
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    It's been a few years since I had so much fun with a video game. It is awesome; I laughed out loudly quite a few times during the playing. The ending was fulfilling. A somply awesome game
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    A very fun sequel... It is hard to understand why people judge the game over irrelevant issues and over its entertainment value. And who on earth compelled them to buy the DLC? For a change one can refer to user scores of Portal 2 on other sites like gamespot, ign, etc. and realize that most of the negative reviews are nothing but hater ****
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    This is an absolute splendid game from beginning to end. The Puzzles are paced most sublimely, and the "$90 DLC" my peers refer to is completely optional, and purely aesthetic. I highly reccomend
  10. Apr 25, 2011
    Amazing game, from the amazing concepts in puzzle solving all the way to the superb choices for voice acting for all of the games amazingly clever and funny dialog. Level design is very nice and a person could spend at least an hour just trying to find all of the funny little bits and pieces that valve designers put through this game. Play time is about 7 hours for the first play through of the single player campaign and a considerably shorter co-op campaign. Overall Valve has released one of the best game that I have played in years.

For all of those that question the choice for day one dlc I assure you that you are in no way pressured into paying anything extra for the game and all things available are purely cosmetic and in no way relevant to game play. While I have no intention on buying anything I can see the appeal to some people, Xbox live avatar clothing is basically the same concept and while I have not bought any of that I know that many people have.
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    Loving this game. 6 hours played so far and I'm failing on the white-out level due to my eyes hanging out! Beautifully polished game, with great voice acting and good humour. Was absolutely worth the wait. I've not tried cooperative yet but the single player alone has been worth the purchase and I'm not even finished yet!

10/10 Valve - superb work.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    Aight. So i'm going to explain the history of the ARG to those who are thinking of buying this game. Here we go.
    First, clues were released. Some you could find in real life, some on websites, some in games. 36 potatoes were believed to be attainable for a certain 'reward' that was hinted at. A timer for a POSSIBLE early release was shown on Friday April 15th. No promises, never worded
    like "ITS RELEASING EARLY THIS FRIDAY." None of that. Being the non-idiot that I was, I anticipated an april fools joke, which it wound up being. Apparently nobody found it funny, although I found it hilarious, especially when everyone nerd raged. So then ARG became official. If you wanted to partake you either had to buy the potato pack or had to have all the indie games already. It wasn't FORCED or OBLIGATED, and yet everyone complains of course. If you didn't want to participate, didn't want the early release, THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE most of us said, but they kept whining. They even have the gall to say that every game in the pack sucked. Amnesia, Killing Floor, Audiosurf and more, in the pack, all some of my most favourite games have been heralded for being some of the best most unique indie games out there. Not my fault that you love your Black Ops or Dragon Age 2 so much you lost sight on what makes a game good, but moving on.
    Disaster happens, Portal 2 console gets leaked, spoilers are spammed all over the forums by trolls, and somehow Valve becomes responsible. Even if people don't claim they are responsible though, they still cling onto this "We are entitled to early release because at this point i'm sad and the ending is spoiled for me, please don't make me sad anymore, the damage is done now release release release!!!" Which of course is ridiculous. Games get leaked or pirated early ALL THE TIME. You are NOT entitled to anything. There was no sense in having it released this early simply because a few idiots went on the forums despite the leak being common knowledge. Those that aren't whiny emos either leave it alone or participate, or at the very least looked at all this with more of a critical eye. 60% of the profits from the potato pack was going to indie developers, which is always a good thing in my book. We were racking up the indie game hours so we could chip a few hours off the timer, and thats what we got. We had a midnight release, which was glorious. Those that collected all the potatoes(Which the whole process was actually fun by the way, was kind of like detective work) got it even earlier than the others, and also received the valve complete pack. Amazingly generous, and yet people still complain about not getting extra copies if they already had it, those that didn't complete it on time called it **** blah blah blah. So what it all was was a bunch of people being sore losers. They either couldn't afford the potato pack which is fine, it just means you don't get the perks. Don't know about you but I think the world works that way, the more you pay the more perks you get. Also those that work (for their potatoes) those that put time into it get huge perks. Simple as that. If you missed out thats entirely your fault. If you don't like it this way and you are incapable of looking at Valve as a game company, not a charity case, then your view is skewed.
    They can be generous, but there is a limit. All in all the ARG campaign was intricate and fun, and Portal 2 (As of now I have finished it) was a gorgeous gorgeous game. I have to admit with it being rated E and all I expected it to be stuffed with cheese, but it had just the right amount to make it enjoyable. The day one dlc that everyone is making a fuss about are just a few extra skins. Nothing akin to Bioware having day one dlc like an entire character that affects the story or anything. Don't want it? Don't buy it, simple. This goes for just about everything that I mentioned in this review.
    I hope this brought some perspective. If it didn't thats too bad, because you're missing out.
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game - single player and co-op. A bit short, at 8-ish hours for the single player mode, but those were a very entertaining 8 hours. I haven't beaten the co-op yet, but it's fantastic so far as well, even better than the single player.

It was, admittedly, over all too soon for such an enjoyable game, but I trust that valve will keep up to their tradition of releasing quality
    content, for free, for all of their full-priced games. As far as the negative reviews, the number one biggest complaint is the "day 1 DLC" - Seriously? These people don't know what real day 1 DLC is - this is a couple of moustaches and hats and useless gestures that if they had not been in the game at all no one would have given the slightest **** - it's just icing on the cake that they're there at all, especially considering essentially no one will buy them, just like most of them would never be used anyway even if they were all free. Expand
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    Ill just put this simply. One of the most satisfying games I have played. Take your time through this and really just cherish the atmosphere, the set pieces, the story and the puzzles. With ever part you complete you will not only feel accomplished but have fun figuring it out. Get this game and don't listen to haters who where tricked by valve and bought the potato sack.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Pay no attention to any of the negative reviews posted here, excess troll spillage from **** To be perfectly blunt, everyone who is saying the game is 4 hours long is lying. If you are looking at the Steam timer, don't. It is wrong. I have been playing for nearly 5 hours now and it said I have been playing for 2.

As for the DLC, that is also a myth. Yes there are downloadable hats and
    such for your bot in co-op, but that is it. Yes, the hats are overpriced but so are the ones in TF2. Sorry if you lack the free will, but you don't have to buy them. Also, the game is not a console port, I guess no one realizes that. They see the message that says "Don't turn of your console" and freak. Yes, the game is made for multiple platforms and they aren't going to change the message for each one. So they put console because if the had written anything else the Xbox tards would have gotten confused. It is a fine game and ignore all of the negative reviews. As for price I pre-ordered and paid 44$ with no tax, hell I paid 60$ + tax for Black Ops. A game that is much, much worse and a little shorter. Don't believe the trolls. Grow a brain and form your own opinions. Expand
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Without a doubt, one of the best games of the year so far. I loved "time traveling" through Aperture History and the new characters Valve put into this creative addition to the Portal universe.

Oh, and just in case there's any confusion, DLC is completely OPTIONAL. If you don't want to buy it, don't! Pretend it's not even there and you won't have to throw a hissy fit about it.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore all the trolls giving this game any score other than the 10 it deserves. Does not feel like a port - This is one of the best looking games ever released. Easily the most interactive environment to date.

4 hours of game play is a LIE - Between the main campaign, the co-op, and the ridiculously high replay value, there is plenty of quantity as well as quality game play here. This is
    how DLC should be done. If there was a vote on DLC being strictly cosmetic and all actual game content being included at launch, I'd vote in the affirmative right away. Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    I cannot believe the user reviews I am seeing. Folks are mad because Valve sells hats? Or the potato pack? Seriously? Really?!?!?!? Nobody forced folks to purchase either. As far as the hats, they don't affect game play and are purely for aesthetics. Personally, I will never get one but to each their own. By far this is one of the most fresh, innovative and fun games I have played in ages, GlaDos is in rare form. The levels are fun and intriguing and the graphics are very good. Are they Crysis 1 or Warhead good? Nope. But then again neither was Crysis 2. However the graphics are still above most other games out at the moment. Plus unlike the slew of recent console ports, the Source Engine still runs extremely well on a host of computers.

Game play? Well that is top notch. The puzzles are fun and it is quite the time waster. Those saying the completed it in 4 to 7 hours were rushing through. There is tons written on the walls in side rooms you should take a look at. It all adds to the story, but if all you want to do is the puzzles you may get through in the times posted, but you are missing a lot.

Overall if you enjoyed the story line in Portal, Portal 2 is for you. As I said GlaDos is in rare form, and personally I am a bad human being. Test results don't lie. Also, don't forget to read the comics in the game as this explains how you got back there.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game and a great sequel for the original portal.Great graphics, great voice acting, great story, and great co-op. Total has over 30 hours of gameplay excluding co-op missions -replayability.
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    Short, easy Valve game, that really shines when playing Co-oP!
    Absolutely love putting my team mate into bad situations and vice versa.
    GladOS potato head!!!
  21. Apr 19, 2011
    It appears that this is a re-iteration of other reviews but Played Portal 2 through the night and needed sleep. :)

The controls for this the new mechanics are seamless and easy to understand, after your first few levels with each new mechanic your enjoying them at the same level as the portals themselves.

The length of portal 2 will really depend on how you want to play it, if your
    looking at simply slving ever puzzle it won't last long maybe 3-5 hours of single and 2-3 hours of co-op. If your interested in the story and/or whats going on around you then it will likely take you 7-9 hours to complete the single and 4-6 hours for the co-op. The replay value again depends on how you play it, in for the puzzles? Very little maybe doing speed runs or challenges or maybe achievement hunting. If your in for the story you'll likely have 2-3 replays of value maybe more depending on your ability to find the easter eggs.

Two points against, first the source engine is showing its age with the very common loading screens, game ruining no, annoying yes. Second point is puzzle sometimes feel leaded/leading as that there is one solution and you are forced that way, is this for all the puzzles? No only 2-4 that I felt that happen in, the flip side of this point there are puzzles that are the reverse where you will do it one way then notice another way to do it or you'll feel that you did it 'wrong' as in not how in should of been done.

Overall great game with some minor drawbacks. 9/10(10/10 because of the trolls rating low)
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    I was really angry with all of these "pseudo-negative" reviews.... Just garbage: fact-> critics agree with the fact that Portal 2 is clearly longer than its predecessor. Then there is no DLC including real content (like extra puzzle) but only skins available. Once you know this, here come one of the best pc Game i've ever played! (However you need to have an affinity with puzzle games to feel the same). The whole game is an example of writing, the soundtrack is not bad. The game has an unique atmosphere, and the the voice actors are really "brilliant" (ah ah). Do not listen all of these ridiculous troll, Portal 2 is a great game so inventive that it is really hard to stop grabbing your mouse! And with the co-op game you can share this compulsion with one of your friend :D (I tried it with a friend and we didn't stop laughing from the start to the end of our session. There is no real turn-offs in this game excepting maybe the store with extra skins which are a bit expensive from my point of view.
    To sum up, Portal 2 is nothing but brilliant!
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    I had to make an account for this game to combat the angry nerds dragging down portal 2's score, and write an actual review (which nobody seems to actually write these days)

First: to address the concerns of angry ranting kids who think this game deserves a "0" or "1" score based on playtime, DLC, or cost. Games cost $60 now.

1.) playtime - This is a 6-10 hour game. If you can pull it
    off in less, you're very clever first time around. Don't criticize a game paced around a player's mental capacity (I'd say I'm good with physics and a quick learner, and it took me about six hours to complete the single player) This also excludes the concept of co-op. Which is an entirely different, 6-10 hour game. Unless you have no friends (which I'm fairly certain is the case, if you are in any way put off by this game) then this game easily trounces many of the other titles out there for the cost. People are acting as if Portal 1 was a long game. It wasn't. it was an hour or two at best. This is easily a fully fledged single player game. You have the single player (full game) co-op (also a full game) and the developer commentary (which any self-respecting nerd will do, also a full playthrough)

2.) DLC: I'm going to be honest, this could be a negative box, but hear me out. I just don't understand why the dlc costs so much money. $0.50? Sure, I'd buy $5 worth. But some individual pieces approach the $10.00 mark. It also makes little sense in a game that isn't built around playing with lots of other random players, like Team Fortress 2 is. You buy the DLC because you want other players to see how fancy you look. But the great thing is that if you don't buy it, there is no influence on gameplay whatsoever. Consider this: If valve simply didn't include any DLC and just gave you the two robots with nothing from the current DLC selection, not a single player would be whining about a lack of anything. So it's a boon for some players, and has no impact on the rest.

3.) Cost. Games are $60 now. Not $50. It's been a long time coming (and seriously, everything else on earth gets more expensive, and games have gotten -cheaper- over the past 20 years? Inflation happens.) and this is in no way a "minigame" with a big price tag. It's $45. that's 25% less than COD black ops. And it's got roughly twice the content. If you are the type who complains about full-length games dripping with polish and fabulous content costing 25% less than the industry standard, feel free to flush your head in the toilet. Or wait until it comes on sale (hello? this is STEAM. They'll put it on sale in two weeks.)

That said, let's actually review the game. If Blizzard is to great cutscenes, Valve is to great characters. There's no way I could imagine any other game designer giving a little sphere so much capability to display emotion with nothing but small rotating rings. The sheer amount of polish here defies logic as much the portal gun defies physics. I was expecting a shiny game. What I got was a whole world, expansive, with painstaking attention to the slightest detail, irregardless of whether or not the player will even see it. From the opening seconds to the final battle, there isn't a single dull moment.

The voice acting is second to none. There are only a few voices in the game, but they're all played to the level of the greatest shakespearean comedy. No, you didn't read that wrong. This is a tragic comedy unlike anything gaming has ever seen. There is something satisfying about knowing that the voice for your arch-nemesis was picked because she is a trained operatic soprano.

Gameplay wise, there is nothing reused that hasn't been thoroughly rethought, modified, and polished. A playthrough with the developer commentary will demonstrate how much painstaking work and effort was put into this game. The new mechanics do not feel cheesy, they feel perfectly at home in the portal world. I found myself thinking "how did they make puzzles WITHOUT all of these amazing new toys in the first place?" I won't spoil the mechanics, but it's safe to say that the puzzles are even more perfect than Portal's. They're challenging without being frustrating. There is no trace of "console-itis" anywhere. Anyone saying there is, was deliberately looking for it and ignoring the astounding world. You still feel that same sense of reward from figuring out the "trick." The puzzles are as much exploring and learning each component as blind trial and error, which is outright gameplay magic. The final boss was unchallenging, but still felt tense and frantic, and was just as deeply satisfying as the first time you laid hands on the fancy dual-portal gun.

If I had a negative point about the game, it would be the loading screens. There are lots of them. But on the whole, this is easily - very, very easily, one of the best games of all time, dripping with polish, humor, cleverness, and brilliant gameplay. And I do not say that lightly.
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the best game in years, It does everything right from the puzzles to the dialogue to a story which was surprisingly engaging for a cast that is mostly robots. If your thinking of buying this game then ignore the user reviews and look over at the critic reviews, this game is nigh on perfect and the only reason it is getting low scores is because of trolls who scream foul at the briefest mention of hats. They are entirely cosmetic and optional. Also this game is not short like many of the user reviews say. It took me 8 hrs and I haven't even started the coop yet. All in all a brilliant game, Valve's best game since Half Life 2. Expand
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    I've played only the single player portion of the game and I think that it is a masterpiece! Excellent Puzzles, voice over, graphics, story... every gamer of the world should play this game at least 1 time.
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Not only is this Valve's best game this may be one of the best games ever made. Whatever you do, do NOT listen to the gaming "hipsters" that will say things like "the first one was better" "valve's marketing is terrible" etc. They are wrong. Portal 2 is, in every way an improvement on Portal. The puzzles, while sometimes easier, are more varied and have a greater complexity to them. Almost like Angry Birds: its a 30 second solution that takes 3 minutes to figure out. The writing is some of the best ever done in a video game and the voice acting is top notch. If you, even for a SECOND, enjoyed Portal, you owe it to yourself to play this one.
    Now, there's always another side to the coin. For all its greatness, and it is mostly greatness, there are some faults. Even with the upgrades to the Source Engine, the game looks dated. cool lighting effects and great level design work around this, but the cracks in the skin are starting to really show. The second complaint is the biggest. The store. Its unnecessary, its annoying, its really stupid. Thankfully, unlike the TF2 store, everything is cosmetic only, but still. As for complaints like "The PC version is a console port" and "the potato sack did nothing" both are wrong. The PC version plays incredibly smoothly, and the graphics are even better then the consoles. Don't believe me? Check out Rockpapershotgun and PCgamer for their reviews, they'll say the exact same thing. as for the Potato Sack complaint? While the sack may not have really sped up the release by more then a few hours, people don't seem to realize what a sale like that does for the indie community. Most of those games were made by small teams, maybe even one person. The fact that Valve was willing to package it's biggest game with these indie games means that Valve really cares for its community and indie developers. So what if it didn't push forward the release of Portal 2? I guarantee that anyone who bought the Potato Sack isn't complaining.
    In conclusion: Portal 2 is one of the best games ever made. If you want to listen to hipsters tell you otherwise, that's your prerogative. But if you can find joy in an awesome game, with awesome puzzles and awesome writing, then Portal 2 is just the game for you. Clocking in at 6-8 hours (single player) this is the perfect game for your weekend.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    Lets put this out there:

1) Portal 1 came packed with 3 other games when I got it back in 2006 in the Orange Box and remains to this day one of the top PC game of all time in my book. It lacked in any proper multiplayer, it also lacked visuals, but it was still one of those games that I'd pick up and play over and over, going well over the the $10 or less I had payed for it bundled. I'd
    easily pay $30-$45 on this on a heartbeat.

2) EA and Activision can come out with a $60 FPS, not last as long, have medicore storytelling, and improper handling of user generated content and people bought that stuff up and the DLC for $5 to $15 a pop. They complain yet they still bite the bullet in the deal.

Anyway the game in the end is probably one of the most memorable thing I've done in a very long time. It came to the point that I exclaimed that I was (or the main girl) is the goddamn Freeman, which is not an understatement. The dialogue and the pacing is 100% perfect, I never felt like I was in the same place twice at any given moment.

The puzzles were great, though I passed through most with no problems, I found myself stumped on the one or two that seemed really obvious the first thought through.

I now await for Portal2 guys to add to this game like the TF2 guys have with their game. Hats and whatever other bull is the norm with TF2 and completely and utterly ignorable. The bad reviews you hear about price to hours played are just rants by people who actually believed that the sequel to a 6hr game would equal something of a magical longer game. Sort of like how Crysis 2 showed off a wonderful game and ended up being a 6hr jog.
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    I haven't finished either, but a solid 2 hours in and I see quite a bit more game coming at me, with more innovation in levels as well as co-op. To the guy that said you beat in in 45 minutes, that's completely **** I beat the first one in about 45 minutes the second time I played on steam about a week ago, and this has a significantly larger amount of chambers already, with innovative new designs. To people who say it's too short or doesn't fit the 60$ price tag, that's also stupid. I paid 35$ for this game and will get a 20$ gift card to amazon because of it. Anyone who pays full price without getting preorder benefits that will inevitably stack towards the next game you buy is dumb. With so much competition between retailers, going to the only one (Gamestop) that doesn't offer things at launch is idiotic. To people who say that the 60$ pricetag doesn't include the 80$ of day one DLC, it's all visual. Nobody gives a damn what emoticon your character can express, and again, nobody in their right mind would buy all of it. To claim it adds to the price tag is bull, it doesn't do anything, let the game be the test of the game, not the pricetag.

Nevertheless, even at a 60$ pricetag, with kotaku and others reporting >10 hours of gameplay, it beats going to the movies.

Oh and BTW this is the second valve game I've ever owned. Not a "fanboy" looking to praise anyone. I had the free copy of Portal one, and I suppose I've played Left for Dead, but never bothered buying them.

The only downside I can see so far is that so far the levels haven't been anything about the timing, all about thinking. I liked the few about timing in the first. Added reflexes and such.

Definitely a fun game, and I haven't even started co-op! Also never buy into the hype. Make your own hype, don't go with everyone or it will be a hype inflation :P In which case this game would still be a good game, never a negative review due to solely that.
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    If you're thinking about getting this, stop thinking and just get it. Cause in short, it's an absolutely amazing game, it's of decent length, the characters are interesting, and the puzzles are just perfect. If you're noticing the barrage of bad review scores from users, ignore them, they're just trolls. Their primary concerns are that the game is too short, there's day 1 DLC, and that it's a console port, all of which is in short - bullsh*t. Here's my response to their complaints: It took me 8.3 hours to finish the campaign, and I haven't even touched co-op. There is an Online store where you can buy stuff, but it's only skins and hats and aesthetic stuff like that. There's no sign that it's a console port, and if it is, like Rock, Paper, Shotgun said, it's an amazing port which means there's no point to even complain. So just go to the nearest store and buy Portal 2, or better yet, buy it on Steam, you're not going to regret it. Expand

1. Oct 20, 2011