9.0

1. Apr 19, 2011
    I feel bad for all these players who can't get off their high horse and enjoy this great game. The first Portal while short and mostly devoid of cutscenes had more story and personality than many games that come out retail. Portal 2 continues that by offering a unique experience and not just another FPS rehash.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Another positive review to offset the abuse of the system by disgruntled, entitlement bound whiners. The graphics and presentation are top-notch, the sound/music are atmospheric and creepy, the puzzles more varied and clever, the writing/humor dry and snarky. The only way it could be better is if they ever release a level maker for it.

1) If you don't like micropayment DLC, don't buy it.

1) If you don't like micropayment DLC, don't buy it. Nothing that is being sold is extra game content, merely window-dressing for people who want to style their co-op avatars. Given that, I take no serious issue with the DLC.

2) If you finished the game in 4 hours, then I guess there is no pleasing you. I'm willing to bet these people got the game illegally in the first place.

3) You can't simply compare the price of a product to the number of hours it takes to wolf down its content. If that's all a game is, is shoving brain-food into your mouth, then you'll never take the time to appreciate a good "steak" in your mouth. Go back to playing yet another military FPS.

4) Knowing the significance Metacritic has in the gaming industry, I suspect troll-bombing with intent to poop on other people's good time.

Play this game. Ask for more.
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely stunning game, valve did nothing wrong with its release or development, I am left to conclude that the bad review surrounding this game is nothing, but greifers and trolls that hate to see a success of a much loved and publicised game
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Even better than portal 2, users giving a 0 just because they don't like the potato thing/ the tf2 style dlc shop.... should stop whining and play, it's a great game. Absolutely 100% worth the price
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    I was a big fan of the first game, and was looking forward to this game, and in the end it did not disappoint.
    I liked the new innovations and the addition of the story element. Was overall very enjoyable.
    The only thing that bothered me was the amount of loading screens considering how short some of the levels were. The game length was adequate in my opinion, about 6 hours, and co-op
    The game length was adequate in my opinion, about 6 hours, and co-op seems like it can add a lot more time onto the game.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game! Great script, lovely world, innovative in many ways. Truly a great sequel. Game is well more than four hours long, does not contain required content that costs extra money, nor has many of the problems other reviewers are mentioning. All in all this is a fantastic game well worth most people's time!
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't even look at the people downvoting this game. The majority are trolls from /v/ who haven't even purchased the game. This game was Valve's masterpiece. It's just about perfect in every way.
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    Interesting. Challenging and fun. One of the best games you will ever pla. ignore all the negative comments from people who are annoyed about optional not important DLC that YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY!!!! So buy it love it and ignore all the negative stupid whiney comments.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply perfect in all ways. Loved the Marketing, loved the Single-Player, loved the Multi-Player, loved the DLC, love being able to customize the co-op bots. Absolutely epic in all ways. Perfect
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, the pacing combined with the witty dialogue and story make for an unforgettable experience. There are two experiences to be had though, both a co-op and a single-player. Each offer something unforgettable, and enjoyable in their own right. There is endless variety to keep the game from becoming stale. Any caveats such as the infamous "DLC" store, andOne of the best games I've ever played, the pacing combined with the witty dialogue and story make for an unforgettable experience. There are two experiences to be had though, both a co-op and a single-player. Each offer something unforgettable, and enjoyable in their own right. There is endless variety to keep the game from becoming stale. Any caveats such as the infamous "DLC" store, and the potato marketing stunt are far outweighed by what is an amazing game. We are gamers, right guys? Expand
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is fantastic, the dialogue is funny, sadistic and very well written. Valve really has outdone themselves with this. Really looking forward to co-op it will add even more on to the length of the game.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    Most of the complaints being submitted are completely unfounded. Please see this article which addresses some of the nonsense being spouted on this rating site:

Portal 2 probably is NOT a "10", but it certainly isn't a "0" or "1". Thus, to counterbalance this nonsense, I am giving the game a "10".
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve did an awesome job carrying on from where Portal 1 left off, the twists and turns in the story were as entertaining as they were unseen. I've yet to beat the single player campaign, but finished the whole co-op campaign in 6hrs. Honestly, I have no idea where people are pulling "It's just a 3hr game" from, because unless you're just rushing through everything without even caringValve did an awesome job carrying on from where Portal 1 left off, the twists and turns in the story were as entertaining as they were unseen. I've yet to beat the single player campaign, but finished the whole co-op campaign in 6hrs. Honestly, I have no idea where people are pulling "It's just a 3hr game" from, because unless you're just rushing through everything without even caring about the storyline/graphic design/changes to the spaces there is just no freaking way you can beat the whole game (single player and campaign) in just 3hrs. And if you're seriously just buying this game to rush to the end, then you need to stop playing video games, because they are meant to be enjoyed.

Yes there is a DLC store, but the items it provides are not at all needed to complete the game or even have fun with it, they are nothing more than hats and other crap to customize your character in co-op. NOTHING MORE.

This game is well worth the price tag if you enjoyed the first game, even more so if you're a fan of co-op games (which the portal 2 co-op experience went way over what I was expecting it to be!).
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic gameplay that expands greatly from its predecessor, immaculate dialog, and co-op that is not only split-screen, but CROSS-PLATFORM. This is a great game. Complaints about the DLC and cash shop are silly. All of the DLC is cosmetic and unnecessary lagniappe that can be completely ignored if you so desire. You will enjoy this game.
  15. Apr 24, 2011
    Innovative, original, hilarious and wonderfully fun. A testament to what a sequel should be. Bioware's Dragon age 2 team should look at this game as a how to manual for releasing a sequel.
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Can't believe all the haters are being so ridiculous. No-one is making you buy the DLC!!! It's just optional extras. I'd be surprised if it wasn't actually a joke on their behalf about microtransactions in games.
    This is an amazing game and deserves much higher scores than the muppets here have given it.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    After completing it, thought it had plenty of content, excellent buy. Pretty damn funny in parts, I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing I detest insanely about this game is the implementation of a store and the customisation. Which no doubt the majority of which you have to purchase. I'd had enough of that rubbish from TF2. If the DLC is genuinely worth the money, like new mapsAfter completing it, thought it had plenty of content, excellent buy. Pretty damn funny in parts, I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing I detest insanely about this game is the implementation of a store and the customisation. Which no doubt the majority of which you have to purchase. I'd had enough of that rubbish from TF2. If the DLC is genuinely worth the money, like new maps with some actual new content, then great. But i'm not getting my hopes up. Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve truly excelled with this game, making the huge and detailed worlds like those of a Half-Life 2 Series game, while incorporating portals and puzzles. However, these large worlds need to load VERY often, interrupting the game with a loading screen. Overall, it is an excellent game.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    PC gamers are such cry babies. This game is awesomeness. You don't need any of that DLC anyway, it's just cosmetic crap for your co-op bot. The game is what it is. If you liked Portal you will love this.
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game, little on the easy side but complete with all the things that made Portal 1 great. I don't know why so many people are complaining about the DLC. If you don't want to get it, don't.
  21. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is far from a console port. The graphics on my PC are outstanding. The story is extremely well written and fresh. The puzzles are unique and fun. If you don't want cosmetic additions, don't buy them. They are not a detraction from the game.
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    Best game of all time! After finishing the game in about 20 hours, I bought a hat for my robot! Now my other robot wants a hat too! Thank you Valve for giving my robots lots of hats!
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    Honestly, I don't get all the negativity. The game is more than 4 hours if you don't play it like a madman (I've got about 6 hours out of it), and that's excluding coop, and the "Day one DLC" isn't DLC. You neither download it nor does it add any content. It only adds aesthetic stuff, without which you get the same game. Sure, it's not the best game ever, probably not even Valve's, butHonestly, I don't get all the negativity. The game is more than 4 hours if you don't play it like a madman (I've got about 6 hours out of it), and that's excluding coop, and the "Day one DLC" isn't DLC. You neither download it nor does it add any content. It only adds aesthetic stuff, without which you get the same game. Sure, it's not the best game ever, probably not even Valve's, but it's a damn good game nonetheless. Good graphics, good gameplay, good and VERY funny at points storyline. Proper voiceacting, AWESOME looks. It's a bit on the easy side though, only a few places I was anywhere close to feeling stumped. I give this a solid 8/10. Expand
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    All of the 0's are just trolls readers. Here's what's what: I've been playing the game for about 6 hours now, indulging in every single detail (because I'm a Valve and Portal fan), and have only reached halfway through. If you just keep on going and skip all the minor details, i expect this game to last at least 8 hours for you. However, this game is great, hands down. The story isn't theAll of the 0's are just trolls readers. Here's what's what: I've been playing the game for about 6 hours now, indulging in every single detail (because I'm a Valve and Portal fan), and have only reached halfway through. If you just keep on going and skip all the minor details, i expect this game to last at least 8 hours for you. However, this game is great, hands down. The story isn't the best, but out of what's coming in the recent industry with modern shooters, this is second to none. I thought I'd be seeing the same things from Portal 1. And for the first few hours, it did; then it brought out the big guns. Bottom line: I've been having a blast with this game.

ALSO ABOUT DLC: There is none. If you're familiar with Team Fortress 2, they have a Mann Co. Store where you buy skins and little things for your co op robots. **DLC will be announced later on and will most likely include levels for the co-op campaign and new items for the robots. If they follow their fashion with Team Fortress 2, THESE UPDATES WILL BE FREE (on PC).**
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    Didn't think they'd be able to do it again, but once again Valve has created an actually GREAT game. Which is saying something since there are so few great's within the last 10 years. Just like Portal, Portal 2 has nigh infinite replay-ability, and I'm sure by the end of the month there will be tons of video's showing the tricks to each chamber and hardcore professional's showing off speedDidn't think they'd be able to do it again, but once again Valve has created an actually GREAT game. Which is saying something since there are so few great's within the last 10 years. Just like Portal, Portal 2 has nigh infinite replay-ability, and I'm sure by the end of the month there will be tons of video's showing the tricks to each chamber and hardcore professional's showing off speed runs. It is a challenge and requires you to think (of course, it IS a puzzler!). If i could i'd give it a 20/10, but alas, 10/10 is as high as the slider goes, so it will do. It is awesome, amazing, and completely worth the price. Very glad I got the pre-order, as I'm sure the price will rocket up. I'd say more, but what follows is my response to the children downrating the game. Read if you're curious as to why these children are saying what they are saying.

Now, gotta give my $.50 to these kids/idiots/trolls down rating this obviously great game. You should not read further if you think garbage like Halo, Guitar hero, CoD, TF2, etc. are 'great', as you're too young to understand what even a good game is. Turn off the computer, go back to you're homework. If you are not young and still insist those are great, you are NOT a gamer. Now, the one's claiming "4 hours gameplay...$80 dlc..too easy.." etc., are obvious trolls and have NOT played this great game. Do yourself a favor and do NOT listen to them. Took me about 12 hours total to beat both single player and co op, with less than 15 or so deaths (and I'm accident prone). DLC? I dont know what the %&@$ these guys are smoking, but I want some. The "DLC" is NOT "DLC". It is ALL purely cosmetic additions for your co-op bot. That it. No extra levels, no special short cuts, no special bonuses, absolutely nothing that will give you anything except a slightly altered character model design for your 1 (ONE!) partner at a time that will see it when you play co-op. It is obvious that it was put in purely as a service for the generation of 'lookz i haz hatz lawlz', which are almost entirely very young gamers (or not even actual gamers at all). Also, some of them can be earned thru achievements. As for being too easy, again, I want whatever it is these guys are smoking. If you could do a 10-15 minute speed run of portal 1, without cheats/hacks/altering of code, so ya know, legitimately do the impossible, then yes it MIGHT be easy. Not bragging but to give an example, my personal best for a speed run of portal 1 was 22 minutes, and I did not find portal 2 to be 'easy' by any means. It was challenging and required thinking as well as fast reflexes, more than I can say for most shooters or puzzlers released in the last 10 if not 15 years. As for it being short, again, either they are either a- smoking something really, really potent b- idiots or c- trolls/people who never played either Portal. Many can average 20-40 minutes on a sped run of portal 1, with a first run taking a couple hours or more. Valve lived up to and beyond their advertisement of 4x more game time, and that's from my personal experience of time spent so far. While I am not nearly as good as some at it, the average gamer will easily spend hour's upon hour's on either play mode, and that is just the first play thru's before one gets faster and/or learns tricks. Console port? Far far from it. It is obviously made for the PC, with the PC gamer in mind. The reason they say 'its a port' is cause of the half second that text will occasionally flash when you actively save that says "do not turn off the console". Know what that is? Easier coding on their part, and any gamer will know what they mean regardless. Upset about the ARG? Well, as they saying goes, that's what happens when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me. NEVER did Valve say, directly in a press release, that "Playing all these games will release it days early!". Nor did they put a gun to your head and tell you to buy the sack, as well as play it. It was a fun event meant to build up excitement for it, as well as promote a dozen indie games. BTW, Valve lost or didn't gain as much money on the sack, fyi. Majority of the money for that went directly to the indie company that created each game. If you did buy it, good for you! You helped at least 1 or several smaller game companies make a bit more money and promote their games, which guess what, are at least good if not great too for a small price. If you jumped into it, spending the money on the sack and spending the hours upon hours playing expecting days earlier instead of the already great 12 hours, it is YOUR fault.
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    I think this game is awesome. It's better than the first. The people hating on this game have no clue at all.

1.) The game took me about 7 - 10 hours to beat. I honestly was expecting just 4 hours and even if it was just 4 hours long, I would have been perfectly happy with that! I GOT MY $59.99 MONEY'S WORTH. The game does something that not many games can do. It kept me entertained though and through. Not once did I feel like the game was needless padding itself out, nor did I feel the "Come on. GET ON WITH IT." I felt with other games. (Like I did with games from the Halo, Gears of War and Call of Duty series)

2.) Those who are complaining about the DLC. First of all, it's COSMETIC. You do not have to buy it in order to enjoy the game. I didn't spend a single dime on it, and you know what... I STILL GOT MY $59.99 MONEYS WORTH FROM THIS GAME!

3.) Those who are complaining about the graphics being dated. Get a better computer! Seriously! If the textures and graphics look bad then you are playing the game on the lowest settings, because your computer cannot handle this game. Get a job, and build a better computer, or go play it on the consoles and STFU!

Valve. I applaud you guys for making this game and I really hope you make another portal game.... after you finish Half Life 3! XD

The developers did an excellent job and I give this game a 10/10.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a travesty. Not the game, these reviews. First of all, it's clear that nobody complaining about the "console ports" understands how the Source engine works. IT WAS WRITTEN FOR PC. The port was from the PC to the CONSOLES. Not the other way around. It's stupidity bordering on malice to claim that. Stupidity being 'not understanding the Source engine, and not thinking to look it up'This is a travesty. Not the game, these reviews. First of all, it's clear that nobody complaining about the "console ports" understands how the Source engine works. IT WAS WRITTEN FOR PC. The port was from the PC to the CONSOLES. Not the other way around. It's stupidity bordering on malice to claim that. Stupidity being 'not understanding the Source engine, and not thinking to look it up' and malice being astroturfers, or people trying to sink the game. Valve probably overlooked some of the menu text, hidden in a little translatable text file somewhere.

Second, who does this in 4 hours? I'm a competent FPS gamer, and I did it in 6. This is what they said it would take. But I rushed a little. If I did it again, I'd spend more time looking around and listening to dialogue, but that's because I'm looking to have fun. I missed whole hidden areas in the first game that I found later. And I'll be able to play the *other half of the game* (another 6 hours) with my friends over the next few days. Then I'll replay the one-player now that I can focus on the world and story - much like I did with Portal 1.

The gameplay is entirely different. The gels, funnels, and bridges almost entirely change the way you think about modifying the game world, in the same way the portals did in the original game. Again, to claim otherwise suggests that somebody either didn't play the game or is trying to sink it.

Do I think the store is stupid? Sure, that's why I won't buy anything from it. If it really bothered me, I wouldn't play with anybody who did - but I'm not a braying jackass, so I'll just not sweat it. You're welcome to, though, and the store is limited to stickers and hats and that sort of thing - so what's the big deal?

Come on everyone. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is amazing, another valve classic. It is better than the first one, don't know why people say it is not, more puzzles and longer game with more story = better in my book. The dialogs in the game are really funny and make the adventure really enjoyable along with the awesome BGM.

Don't pay attention to the moronic reviews from a bunch of haters who only came to spam, this game is great and no amount of hate is gonna change that.

There's some debate going about some hat store or something, but I really don't a crap about hats and if they are in there well cool for those who do like them, I'm busy having fun playing the game instead of giving a hoot about an in-game store.

So go buy it, what are you waiting for?!
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    Best game of the year. The ending was beautiful and the game ran perfectly on my laptop when tf2 doesn't even run that well. The DLC is fine lets you do what you want to your character without affecting game play but maybe this will show how little people will care about the DLC but what ever.
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    Now, this game is a piece of art, I can't understand why people are disagreeing on the marketing and lowering the score just for this, the thing is: Portal 2 is a very, VERY, good game, it will probably get the GOTY easily, if another contender won't appear. And honestly, the soundtrack is good, the outro is good too, why are people hating?

1. Pelit (Finland)