8.8

1. May 27, 2011
    Just a 10 of 10.. brilliant humor and fantastic and challenging levels.. something for the brain and soul! No bugs/problems during gameplay (three times) and multiplayer co-op. Everything i expect from a game
  2. mch
    Apr 20, 2011
    Too many haters and trolls around here. Don't like [purely cosmetic] DLC? Don't buy it. Didn't like the Potato Sack indie game promotion? Shouldn't have dished out the money for something that clearly wasn't going to affect the release date all that much.

The game is great, had me laughing and smiling ear-to-ear during my very first session. Puzzles are still challenging. As good as the original, with more content.
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is definitely Valve's best game up to date! The game is absolutely brilliant. The level design is a lot better than in portal 1. The graphics are great and the gameplay is just superb. Nobody should miss it. Too bad of all the trolls and haters. It's definitely not a console port, like most of them try to make you believe. It took me about 7 hours to complete the single-player andPortal 2 is definitely Valve's best game up to date! The game is absolutely brilliant. The level design is a lot better than in portal 1. The graphics are great and the gameplay is just superb. Nobody should miss it. Too bad of all the trolls and haters. It's definitely not a console port, like most of them try to make you believe. It took me about 7 hours to complete the single-player and i've still got to play the co-op. DLC? There is no DLC! It's a shop with items items to for the co-op characters, nothing that affects gameplay in any way. Expand
  4. Apr 24, 2011
    I enjoyed this game very much. It didn't take long to finish, but the time spent was quality time. It's funny. It looks good. It makes you think. I really wanted to find out what was going to happen in the end (and the end was amazing). My only criticism is in regard to the replay value. I'd imagine that if you want to be challenged again after beating the game, then you'll have to giveI enjoyed this game very much. It didn't take long to finish, but the time spent was quality time. It's funny. It looks good. It makes you think. I really wanted to find out what was going to happen in the end (and the end was amazing). My only criticism is in regard to the replay value. I'd imagine that if you want to be challenged again after beating the game, then you'll have to give yourself time to forget the solutions to the puzzles before replaying it. I could see, however, someone playing through it again just for the sheer spectacle and narrative. Great, great game. Expand
  5. Apr 25, 2011
    It may not deliver the world, and it's certainly not perfect, but someone with reasonable expectations will finish the game very satisfied, and there's no doubt it's up to Valve's usual standards. The plot is excellent, the dialog is more of the brilliant dark humor you've come to expect, and I'd say it's worthy to be the sequel to Portal 1.

The reality game leading up to the release may

The reality game leading up to the release may have been controversial, but this is another issue for another place.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    with the minor issues related to the "console" error i have found this game enjoyable, the only reason im giving this a 9 is due to £27.99 worth of DLC on the first day plus no free items as promised in the preorder potato sack. im worried its just valve making cash out of somthing to fund EP3....we will never know..
  7. Nov 15, 2011
    This game was amazing. This game was as long as it needed to be without overstaying it's welcome. Funny ,great puzzles , and a great new song by Jonathan Coulton. Then the addition of challenge maps , commentary on all levels with insight on the creation of the game , a Co-Op campaign , and Co-Op DLC just solidified this as one of Valve's Greatest Achievements.
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    A very satisfying experience, regardless of the length (which of course will vary from person to person). Also I've strong reasons to believe that there will be more free content provided as in the case of L4D series..
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    I actually agree that the ARG promotion was a bit lame if your only interest was Portal 2, but if you enjoy playing indie games, it offered a great deal on many solid titles and gave them some free press, which is not something intelligent gamers will complain about.

The DLC is not a factor at all. For one thing, the XBOX version which I purchased doesn't have any DLC, and even if it did, as I understand it offers nothing that I would feel even the slightest bit compelled to purchase. It's ignorant to resent Valve for taking the money of people who are willing to give it to them simply because you're not willing. Get a job, kids...or stop wanting silly hats.

As for the actual merits of the game, so far it's got everything I loved about the original, but more and better. The difficulty of the first 4 hours could be increased somewhat, but I suspect that's only because I enjoyed the first game so thoroughly that it has made "portalthinking" more natural for me. For a new player, the difficulty is likely spot on.

As for the length, I'm 4.5 hours into single player mode and I've only had any significant delays in one room which left me somewhat stumped for no more than 10 minutes. If anyone is clearing it in 4 hours or less, they already know the solutions to all the rooms and are simply sprinting thru each level without taking time to actually look around or listen to dialogue. Besides, if the game actually deserved a 0 rating, "too short" wouldn't be a flaw; it would be a blessing.
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    You could argue about Valve strategy about vanity items for sale or whatever, but there's no way you should take seriously anyone telling you that Portal 2 is anything less than an outstanding game.

It's funny, it's clever, it's unique and it improves the original concept by miles.

Valve deserves better than a bunch of angry kids pissing on its work.

10.0
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    If there was ever a time to ignore negative reviews this is it. This game is awesome by any definition. Yes there is some DLC available but it's all hats and such for multi player and you can unlock it by just by playing theres no need to buy any of it. It's also true that the single player campaign is a little short (well if you call 5-6 hours short) but there's an entirely separate co-opIf there was ever a time to ignore negative reviews this is it. This game is awesome by any definition. Yes there is some DLC available but it's all hats and such for multi player and you can unlock it by just by playing theres no need to buy any of it. It's also true that the single player campaign is a little short (well if you call 5-6 hours short) but there's an entirely separate co-op campaign that adds on another 4-5 hours at least. Visually it was very nice (it's not just the same old portal engine despite what anyone says). Anyway $45 i wont regret, i spent most of the time laughing my arse off. Expand
  12. Apr 20, 2011
    It's a shame a few people who have obviously never played the game that decided to troll have reduced this games score. But the fact that it's still got so many positive reviews shows how many people have enjoyed this game.

True there may be some people who expected the game to be longer, but I think the length is just right. Unless your racing through the game you wont complete it in 4 hours. Hell, I bet you couldn't even if you did race through, so far most people seem to complete it in about 6-8 hours. That's just the single player, the Co-op campaign is all original too and adds around 5 hours of content, or so I've heard, although I've not completed that yet.

The 'dlc' people complain about are all cosmetic and don't effect game play at all, I might be bothered if they were selling extra maps on there on day 1, but they aren't. I bet no one would have minded if these things were never available at all anyway. I sure wouldn't care, but good on Valve if they can make some extra money out of dumb asses. More money to make great games, they are a business at the end of the day. It's not effecting me and the majority of other players, so why complain?

I enjoyed every second of the Single player, there was no need for it to be longer, it would only be more of the same mechanics. They paced the introduction of all of the new mechanics nicely so the gameplay didn't become stale at all. I loved the story, especially the dialogue which was hilarious at times and kept me interested the whole way.
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    I want to make this really clear, Portal 2 is amazing. I am disappointed with the number of people who have complained because A) they think the game is to short and B) they bought DLC obviously selling 'trivial' content and C) they believe the visuals are poor.

Before I discuss those two points I want to say why I think this is game is incredible, firstly it succeeds in being a great sequel, it's added loads of new gameplay mechanics to freshen up the puzzles and gameplay and hasn't tainted the original essence of its predecessor. The production values are astounding there are huge set pieces, stunning effects and some of the best voice acting i've ever heard in a game from the cast, particularly Stephen Merchant for his excellent performance as the babbling Wheatley and Ellen McLain returns scary as ever as everyones favourite AI baddy GLADOS.

Now to comment on the three main criticisms i've seen. The singleplayer took many hours for me to play (at least 7 hours) and I haven't even touched the cooperative mode either which is sure to take several hours as well. The day 1 dlc is quite obviously not meant to "extend play" and is instead meant for novelty, also you can buy all the dlc in a bundle for about a quarter of the price than if you bought each item separately (if you still bought it and feel cheated then your too stupid to be playing this game). Finally, while the source engine is indeed quite old, even on my moderately powered laptop the game certainly looked impressive (admittedly the framerate did falter during 'busy' segments of the game) and those of you with more powerful computers and the people who will buy the console versions will enjoy the game looking even better.

In conclusion, Portal 2 is a must buy this year, a certain contender for game of the year (if only Mass Effect 3 wasn't coming out this year), the game is smart, clever, well designed and a joy to play and I highly recommend picking it up but please if you haven't already please play the first game because it makes the experience that much better.

P.S. The ending is a great one, I can't believe some people didn't like it, It will leave you wanting more is all i'm going to say
  14. Apr 20, 2011
    Game of the Year. The coop is genius, the new puzzle elements are mindbending, and GlaDOS has finally taken off the kiddy gloves. She's taking her science personal.... and I like it.
  15. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was no Portal; we all saw that coming. Yet, Portal 2 did the unthinkable for sequels, in that it matched its predecessor. Sure, the initial shock of "How cool is this?" was gone - we've been thinking with portals for some time now - but the thrill was still there. Puzzle solving with portals is, simply put, entertaining, and the new mechanics were engaging but not tooPortal 2 was no Portal; we all saw that coming. Yet, Portal 2 did the unthinkable for sequels, in that it matched its predecessor. Sure, the initial shock of "How cool is this?" was gone - we've been thinking with portals for some time now - but the thrill was still there. Puzzle solving with portals is, simply put, entertaining, and the new mechanics were engaging but not too frustrating.

The storyline this time around was, I thought, better than the first one, despite depending on Portal for its punch. The flow of the game was steady, and overall Portal 2 was at least double the length of Portal.

The haterade is purely unfounded: the game isn't that short, and the DLC is purely visual. Valve didn't hold back any extra levels or fun content just to try and sell it on release day. As if it weren't already bleedingly obvious, you know the game has to be good when it's getting so much vitriol from the peanut gallery.

In all, Portal 2 was worth the $40 I spent on it (PC, bought the 2-pack with a friend) and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to round up a partner to keep working on the co-op content. As if single player Portal wasn't awesome enough, right?
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic Game. The Credit song met the Standard set by "Still Alive" and the gameplay was as expected. Interesting Puzzles. I think that negative reviews based on things other than gameplay and story (which was hilarious) should be disregarded by any prospective buyer.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    FACT: DLC doesn't mean purely cosmetic items such as skins. If you believe this, you're retarded.
    FACT: 9 hours, plus 5 hours doesn't equal a short game.
    FACT: You don't have to buy any COSMETIC items, they in no way affect the game.
    FACT: Acting like a self-entitled brat just makes all gamers look bad.

This is all coming from a guy who got a golden potato, but didn't get jack squat from Valve.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Greetings MetaCritic users.

I doubt most of you will read this message, or take it seriously given the current situation. Some of you might remember Dragon Age 2, and how it well it did with its "users" and the hilarious unfair scores they gave it. I came to you again today to tell you that the same thing is being perpetrated again with the videogame Portal 2. A website known as **** is
    Greetings MetaCritic users.

A website known as **** is launching a raid from its videogame image board against portal 2.
    They are fully aware all the DLC can be gained from simply playing the videogame, and they are fully aware the item cash shop plays absolutely no role in the videogames presentation, and gameplay.

Nothing was cut, or removed to be sold later.
    Everything in the item shop, I'll say once more. Can be earned playing the videogame.
    Simple as that.

What you are seeing here is nothing more then the manifestation of an anonymous image board that believes they are more powerful, well reasoned and knowledgeable than pretty much anyone else who's ever stepped within 30 feet of their personal computer.

Anyone knows their way around the internet is already well aware that the people who frequent ****'s /v/ videogames, contains some of the most foul mouthed, and unreasonable human beings to ever grace out planet.

So make no mistake when you visit metacritic, and you see good games like Dragon Age II, and Portal 2 being 0'd down into obscurity.
    They will say things like "Well its not right to give the game a perfect 10!! It doesn't deserve it!"

Guess what /v/ - Videogames, from ****. It doesn't deserve a 0 either, you unpleasable misinformed children. What you are doing is blatant, foul, not only are you attempting to damage the face of portal 2 and valve, but your attacks also are sometimes directly at Gabe Newell himself. Ordinary I wouldn't bat an eye last at a few customers who had a bad mishap with a videogame, and voted it down because of it.

However there is zero justification for this. It is simply nothing more than an organized attack on Valve, and Portal 2.
    ****'s /v/ - videogames almost got away with this with Dragon Age II, and even David Gaider himself called out **** for this, and they cried wolf, and claimed they had nothing to do with this, and that it was "the will of the people/customer" However this was never the case, and the same applies here.
    What you are seeing is nothing more than an organized assault on metacritics users, and the developers who aim to deliver us videogames. ****s children believe if they shout loud enough and make enough 10 minute emails, and spam here with 0's they will be able to down out the people who enjoyed this game, and make it look like this game is a total abomination.
    It simply is not.
    If you have ever been iffy about professional reviewers, today isn't the day to second guess.
    They weren't making this up when they said this game is fantastic.

This is nothing more than a childish, and bandwagon state of affairs that only shows the true face of what David Gaider and dragon age II were facing on metacritic. Now it is simply time for Valve, one of the most respected PC platform champions to face the the wrath of shouting children from ****'s /v/- videogames.

I hope you have taken the time to read this, and now realize that these user scores simply can no longer be taken seriously, as their innocents, and validity has been robbed from the users, and meta critic.

This is not only a sad day for gamers, but is the face of shame **** brings upon us when we realize we have to play online with these fools.

Thanks for your time.
    ~RealDeal7
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    When first playing in single player I was a bit upset, the game while crisp and a sensual orgy for my eyes also seemed bland and not anywhere close to being worth $45, but then someone from my friends list invited me to play co-op. Now, I don't know this person, and don't remember ever even adding him but I joined him anyway. We spent the next 7 hours playing into the dawn. There's noWhen first playing in single player I was a bit upset, the game while crisp and a sensual orgy for my eyes also seemed bland and not anywhere close to being worth $45, but then someone from my friends list invited me to play co-op. Now, I don't know this person, and don't remember ever even adding him but I joined him anyway. We spent the next 7 hours playing into the dawn. There's no better feeling then going through co-op mode with a new friends, raging when spamming "LOOK" to your partner only yields blank stares and spastic jumps, laughing when you both realize that the hardest puzzle that you've been stuck on for the last hour had the simplest solution. I thought co-op was going to be the downside to this game, but it was actually it's saving grace. The game overall is...breath taking. The levels, the characters. Even though there's no real story you still feel a sort of connection to the robot friends., especially when that robot friend is an actual, new friend you just met. The DLC I have no problem with. Obnoxious paint schemes, silly hats, high-fives; all cosmetic so I don't care. Most items are achievable through playing the game and getting achievements which makes it a good incentive system. If people want to spend money on silly hats then I don't care, I take solace in knowing that these silly hat wearers are paying for my future free updates and maps. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game, very well written, very well built. nice challenges, awesome graphics (especially that it's an old engine) , those bad reviews are just troll, not sure why they take on this game, it deserves its price. Valve > *
  21. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's just a great game.I wonder how somebody could finish this game in 4 hours. Did they just run though the levels and forgot about the Multiplayer which is much longer than the Singleplayer?
    And for those Mimimi day1 DLC guys: They are just hats and gestures like they are in TF2 and nobody complains about that and the guys who thought that the DLC would add some more hours of playing time: READ THE DESCRIPTION!
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a damn good game, everything from the original is worked upon and improved - The puzzles, the writing, it's all top notch. The lack of multiplayer has been addressed with a separate co-op mode with it's own (admittedly short) storyline, but I wasn't expecting much in the way of story outside of the single player.
    Now for the controversial stuff.
    I was not expecting the day one
    Now for the controversial stuff.
    I was not expecting the day one DLC, and I will admit it is something of a dick move on Valve's part, but it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. All the pieces of DLC are purely cosmetic changes for the multiplayer characters and you're not left out in the cold for not being able to afford a new paint job. None the less, the DLC is the reason I'm not giving the game a 10. It left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, but it doesn't overly impact the quality of the experience.
  23. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 isn't just about portals. As a matter of fact, initial development excluded portals altogether. That says a lot about the true heart of this game. It's an action-adventure game disguised as a puzzle game, and it's story-driven game. Chell's story, Glados' story, and ultimately Aperture's. Portals are just means to tell and advance that story. The action, beautifully-pacedPortal 2 isn't just about portals. As a matter of fact, initial development excluded portals altogether. That says a lot about the true heart of this game. It's an action-adventure game disguised as a puzzle game, and it's story-driven game. Chell's story, Glados' story, and ultimately Aperture's. Portals are just means to tell and advance that story. The action, beautifully-paced and driven by a dark and ominous soundtrack, invokes memories of Half-Life 2. The writing and voice acting are superb, with plenty of comic relief to put a smile on your face. While it's not the revolution HL2 was, it's as every bit a masterpiece in game design. Players looking for hardcore dexterity-based puzzles may be disappointed. Those of us who enjoy all aspects of gaming will cherish Portal 2 as an instant classic. Expand
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore all the whiners on here. Same as always with a Valve release you have people complaining about everything except the game itself. If you loved Portal, you'll love Portal 2. If you come here for the reviews (that is what this site is about right?) you'll notice most everyone loves it as well. It's funny, engaging, and one of the best co-op experiences you'll ever play. Don'tIgnore all the whiners on here. Same as always with a Valve release you have people complaining about everything except the game itself. If you loved Portal, you'll love Portal 2. If you come here for the reviews (that is what this site is about right?) you'll notice most everyone loves it as well. It's funny, engaging, and one of the best co-op experiences you'll ever play. Don't want the DLC? Don't buy it. Expand
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    We are /v/? Does "/v/" stand for stupid? A ton of people are going to buy this game no matter what you trolls get together to say. Maybe if you had worked out a plan that didn't include all giving a game with universal critical acclaim a zero simply because they are offering cosmetic DLC your efforts might have been more effective. A few 6s or 7s might have helped your cause.
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 has everything you'd expect, and more. Specifying what "more" means is difficult to do without stepping on your enjoyment of the game, but let me put it simply - It's one of the most amazing experiences in gameplay and story. Ever. The humor is here, and there are surprising moments a plenty, and there's plenty of innovation in the gameplay mechanics. I'm not going to go onPortal 2 has everything you'd expect, and more. Specifying what "more" means is difficult to do without stepping on your enjoyment of the game, but let me put it simply - It's one of the most amazing experiences in gameplay and story. Ever. The humor is here, and there are surprising moments a plenty, and there's plenty of innovation in the gameplay mechanics. I'm not going to go on forever about how the core gameplay and whatnot is great, because the pre-launch hype covered it well enough with its teasers, etc.

However, I'd like to point out something very important: The claim of the game lasting four hours is FALSE. Your first run through should last you at least 6 hours, probably 7 or maybe 8 if you get stuck a couple of times and take your time exploring the scenes. And that's not counting the multiplayer. Oh, and don't forget how Valve are - as usual - very friendly to custom mappers, and once the SDK releases there surely will be lots of new custom content, if their past releases are anything to go by.

Some people have complained about the in-game store. This is completely ridiculous, as there is a simple way to fix it: Don't buy stuff! It's all cosmetic, and it's not like there's room to show off like in TF2, which further defeats the point of buying items at all. This means that, really, there should be no reason to be bothered by the store. In fact, you can choose to completely ignore it, thus there is no reason to include it in the overall evaluation of the game. Letting such a small problem ruin the game for you is foolish and childish.

One complaint I find very valid is the fact that the ARG helped very little in boosting the game's speed of launch. However, this has NOTHING to do with the quality of Portal 2 as a game.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the first 10 score I have given, and most likely the last. I have never played a game that is so charming, clever, humourous and engaging all at the same time. It's Portal, totally revamped and made into a true game, and is a shining example of Valve's quality. While the puzzles are a little harder, and there are more elements to work with as you progress like the repulsion gel,This is the first 10 score I have given, and most likely the last. I have never played a game that is so charming, clever, humourous and engaging all at the same time. It's Portal, totally revamped and made into a true game, and is a shining example of Valve's quality. While the puzzles are a little harder, and there are more elements to work with as you progress like the repulsion gel, they don't take that long to figure out. It is a lot longer than the original, 4 hours in and it doesn't seem like the end is in sight. With twists in the plot, beautiful graphics, funny dialogue, and gameplay you won't forget, simply look no further. Ignore the moronic whinging by the trolls, you will thoroughly enjoy this game. Expand
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    Unfortunately a number of small minded, petty people have become blinded by anger at the decisions of valve and seem to be unaware that they are supposed to be rating and reviewing the game, not the developer or distributor. In short, simply disregard any zero reviews. But I digress, Portal 2 is an excellent game. The graphics have undergone a huge improvement since the origional withUnfortunately a number of small minded, petty people have become blinded by anger at the decisions of valve and seem to be unaware that they are supposed to be rating and reviewing the game, not the developer or distributor. In short, simply disregard any zero reviews. But I digress, Portal 2 is an excellent game. The graphics have undergone a huge improvement since the origional with greatly improved gameplay. One of the greatest carry-overs from the origional is the fantastic writing, I was genuinely laughing throughout and the performaces behind the voices were amongst the best I have ever heard. Portal 2 is a serious contender for many gaming awards and well deserving of its praising reviews. Expand
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    An amazing sequel. I was pleased at the number of new gameplay elements involved, the addition of a well implemented challenging co-op mode. The humor was excellent and nonrepeticious, I am really looking forward to completing the singleplayer.
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is really great. The best single player I have played in years. The soo called dealbreaker DLC is just some stupid cosmetic stuff. Nothing that anyone needs to buy to enjoy the best game in long times! The humor, teh art direction and the music fit so perfectly together that it creates a really intense and enjoyable experience. And this game is not really 4 hours, more like 7...
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely no problems with this game. The puzzles are fun, yet take a lot of thinking. The sound is crisp and nice. The graphics are the graphics you expect from Valve's Source Engine, with a bit more detail. The whole concept of Aperture Science all abandoned and with a lot of vegetation growth only adds to the atmosphere. The story is confusing at first, but you'll pick up. Don't letAbsolutely no problems with this game. The puzzles are fun, yet take a lot of thinking. The sound is crisp and nice. The graphics are the graphics you expect from Valve's Source Engine, with a bit more detail. The whole concept of Aperture Science all abandoned and with a lot of vegetation growth only adds to the atmosphere. The story is confusing at first, but you'll pick up. Don't let the other user reviews let you think otherwise, this game is amazing. If you're new to Portal though, I suggest you play the first one then the second one. There's no DLC with this game at all, just some cosmetic skins for Co-Op. The skins change no game play and just add for decoration. This game deserves the score it got, it's fantastic. Collapse

1. Oct 20, 2011