Portal 2 PC

8.8

1. Apr 23, 2011
    Really getting a little bit hipster-y with the reviews here, guys. It doesn't matter if it seems forced and over-hyped IF it is an incredible game, but a lot of people don't seem to want to admit that; it's more fun to bash a company that seems to have "sold out". Same to all the pissbuckets that are mad over buying the Potato Sack for a slightly earlier release: you got a slightly earlierReally getting a little bit hipster-y with the reviews here, guys. It doesn't matter if it seems forced and over-hyped IF it is an incredible game, but a lot of people don't seem to want to admit that; it's more fun to bash a company that seems to have "sold out". Same to all the pissbuckets that are mad over buying the Potato Sack for a slightly earlier release: you got a slightly earlier release and got a bunch of top notch indie games for a steeply discounted price.

Now, to the actual game. The puzzles are just as clever as those from the original, and the extra elements just make them a bit more interesting to figure out (actually, executing the puzzles is more fun as well, seeing that you can now fly around quite a bit more, what with the aerial faith plates and repulsion gel).
    The storytelling seems to be some of the most solid in a videogame yet. No interactivity with the storyline, and yet it still seems more emotionally engaging then most other games that force a "moral decision" (see Bioshock, a great game that executed morality terribly).

Hey, didn't people also hate on another Valve sequel at launch? One that's pretty much the benchmark for FPS nowadays? Because of something trivial and unrelated to the game itself? And didn't that hate carry over to initial consumer opinions? Yeah.
  2. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is a much more accessible and refined gaming experience which will appeal to a larger audience. It still feels like Portal and your manipulation of these doorways through space are the main reason. The games real triumph is in taking game animation and voice recording to a whole new level. Valve deserve their comparisons to Pixar for this work of genius. JK Simmons and StephenPortal 2 is a much more accessible and refined gaming experience which will appeal to a larger audience. It still feels like Portal and your manipulation of these doorways through space are the main reason. The games real triumph is in taking game animation and voice recording to a whole new level. Valve deserve their comparisons to Pixar for this work of genius. JK Simmons and Stephen Merchant provide excellent performances doing the writing justice. Portal 2 is a hilarious, dark sci-fi comedy with real heart. This game will give you much more playtime than the first game and is a fuller realisation, a complete game. It is not only the game of the year but a benchmark for which game developers should aim for. Expand
  3. Apr 24, 2011
    Story comes to the forefront a bit more in this than the previous Portals. The puzzles aren't all that difficult but they are challenging and keep the story moving. Hopefully now that they've moved the story on they can release some good challenging DLC. Not sure what all the hate is there for, this is an excellent product by a great studio. A must play for any gamer in 2011.
  4. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best games out there. Not just for Valve/Portal fans, but anyone who likes puzzles games and witty dialogue will enjoy it. I really haven't found a valid complaint about it. The characters are great and, while the first few levels are a little slow story-wise, it eventually picks up pace. And that's not to say those levels are bad, still fun puzzles and interesting remarks fromOne of the best games out there. Not just for Valve/Portal fans, but anyone who likes puzzles games and witty dialogue will enjoy it. I really haven't found a valid complaint about it. The characters are great and, while the first few levels are a little slow story-wise, it eventually picks up pace. And that's not to say those levels are bad, still fun puzzles and interesting remarks from GLaDOS. The game is fairly short, some say only 4 hours but most I know finish in 6 to 8, but after that you still have co-op, which if you haven't tried, you really need to. A lot of teamwork, but it's a ton of fun and you still have GLaDOS with her sarcastic remarks. Yes, the did have the Potato Sack, but even if you didn't like that it doesn't affect the actual game. Oh, no, DLC. All it is though is aesthetics for your co-op bot. It doesn't make Valve evil to try and make some money, and really it's great that it doesn't do anything to the actual gameplay. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is just awesome! It's a bit overpriced for what it offers, but it's just awesome. You never get bored of playing it. Maybe a bit bored over Single Player but never bored of Co-Op since you always play with different people and there's always something different. Again, awesome game!!!
  6. Apr 24, 2011
    9/10, why? Let me break it down for you. +10 for being the most enjoyable gaming experience of my entire life, and that includes the amazing co-op feature which is completely out of this world, and -1 for being Steam only, because Steam is a HUGE pain in the back-side. I bought my copy 2 days after release and still had to download 800 megabytes of updates before the Steam application9/10, why? Let me break it down for you. +10 for being the most enjoyable gaming experience of my entire life, and that includes the amazing co-op feature which is completely out of this world, and -1 for being Steam only, because Steam is a HUGE pain in the back-side. I bought my copy 2 days after release and still had to download 800 megabytes of updates before the Steam application would let me play a game which I paid for with my own money, and on my slow North Welsh internet connection it took about 3 hours of pure downloading, rendering the internet useless for everyone else on my network. Expand
  7. May 1, 2011
    Yes, it could be a short play - if all you're going for is a speed run, and if you're a puzzle-solving genius. For the rest of us - and I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say *most* of us - there's a great deal of fun to be had in slowing down to savor the environments, listening to all of the surprisingly hilarious dialogue, and seeking out the many secrets Valve has hiddenYes, it could be a short play - if all you're going for is a speed run, and if you're a puzzle-solving genius. For the rest of us - and I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say *most* of us - there's a great deal of fun to be had in slowing down to savor the environments, listening to all of the surprisingly hilarious dialogue, and seeking out the many secrets Valve has hidden in the game.

And beyond the single player, there's always co-op, which creates almost endless novelty. Playing with someone else ensures that even if the solution is the same, level replays always feel fresh. Music, voice acting, visual polish, and most of all, intellectually-engaging gameplay: Portal 2 has it all, in spades. And next time someone complains that video games are all about mind-numbing violence, sit them down with this one for a while and see if they can avoid turning their brains on.

Some users have also whined that Portal 2 looks like a "console port", which it rather clearly isn't (see also the standard PC graphics options), and if it was, so what? It's a game the has the bells and whistles of all the Source Engine games before it, looks great, and has a UI that's a joy to use. If it *were* a console port (which would be silly, considering the engine's heritage), it would be a how-to for any other companies looking to move games over to the PC.
  8. Apr 24, 2011
    valve always makes great games this is on exception portal2 expands on everything portal did and introduced characters that I will remember for a while. Good job valve, forget about the computer purest who are angry with the smallest things and make games like this again you are one of the few gaming company trying to move gaming forward and I applaud you. Thanks
  9. Apr 25, 2011
    Whether you like puzzle games or just enjoy good writing / voice acting / overall presentation - play Portal 2.

I write this review because a user score of 8.2 is still too low for this gem.
  10. Apr 25, 2011
    I've finished the game few minutes ago. What to say? Epic. Just epic. Valve had done an incredible work. One of the most amazing games out there. Fantastic plot and funny dialogues, deep and humorous characters. Game play is perfect and Co op is a funny and challenging addiction. And I didn't understand all that people that say Portal 2 is short. For me a 15 hours game is more thanI've finished the game few minutes ago. What to say? Epic. Just epic. Valve had done an incredible work. One of the most amazing games out there. Fantastic plot and funny dialogues, deep and humorous characters. Game play is perfect and Co op is a funny and challenging addiction. And I didn't understand all that people that say Portal 2 is short. For me a 15 hours game is more than acceptable, considering how great it is throughout the story. Congratulations Valve! Expand
  11. Apr 25, 2011
    I have played this game for a couple hours now and in a word, brilliant. The puzzles are considerably different than those in the first Portal, especially with the introduction of so many new elements to interact and manipulate. I do not normally write reviews but the low scores based solely on school yard pettiness and lack of reason really needed an offset. Cosmetic DLC on day oneI have played this game for a couple hours now and in a word, brilliant. The puzzles are considerably different than those in the first Portal, especially with the introduction of so many new elements to interact and manipulate. I do not normally write reviews but the low scores based solely on school yard pettiness and lack of reason really needed an offset. Cosmetic DLC on day one equates to a zero??? Really??? Haters gotta hate and trollers gotta troll I suppose. Great game Valve! Keep up the good work! Expand
  12. Apr 25, 2011
    I am giving Portal 2 a score of 10 by comparing it to other games that I have played, not of any game that could ever have been made.

Portal 2 is a fantastic homage to Portal. Although Portal was itself an amazing game, I felt it lacked polish in places and had a lot of potential. Portal 2 realizes that potential; It is a beautiful looking game, has fantastic music and plays perfectly. The puzzles are intuitive and incredibly rewarding and like the original game, Valve gently nudges you towards a correct solution subtly enough to reward your ego handsomely. I'm also certain that you have a degree of freedom in how you complete some puzzles, in that you don't have to exactly follow the clearly defined path to arrive at a solution, allowing those with more abstract thought processes to progress through the game as well. Little touches, such as music being augmented at a certain point in the game as you interact with something, or do something in particular, lead the game to be incredibly immersive. On top of the fantastic story line, and tinted sense of humor carried over from Portal, this makes for a thoroughly fresh experience in comparison to the majority of games released recently.

The only particular critique I have with the game, is that I didn't want it to end. But games can't last forever, and the cooperative experience is fantastic. I had a quick look at the in game shop to check out some of the clothing you can buy, didn't find it appealing, and ignored it.

I can't really give Portal 2 a lower score because it 'Wasn't long enough'; It easily gives you over 10 hours of play time initially, and if you're like me, you'll probably play through the campaign a second or third time, to try and solve puzzles in different ways, or find Easter eggs and glitches. Not only that, but Valve are releasing the Portal 2 SDK, allowing users to create their own maps to play in Portal 2. I expect that the community will contribute some amazing puzzles, further increasing the life span of the game. As such, you not only get the campaign play time, but as you hear about a certain map that is fantastic every week or so, you will keep coming back to the game, and enjoy fresh, free content.

Valve have achieved everything I hoped they would, and I feel Portal 2 thoroughly deserves the score I have awarded it.
  13. Apr 25, 2011
    I haven't finished the game, actually I'm on part when Cave Johnson's voice leads you. Portal is more more awesome than I expected. Great story with great characters. First Portal I finished many many times and I wanted more! Then Valve released radio achievement and I was sure that Portal 2 comes soon. I bought it month before premiere and I was very angry when courier came to my houseI haven't finished the game, actually I'm on part when Cave Johnson's voice leads you. Portal is more more awesome than I expected. Great story with great characters. First Portal I finished many many times and I wanted more! Then Valve released radio achievement and I was sure that Portal 2 comes soon. I bought it month before premiere and I was very angry when courier came to my house and nobody heard intercom and I have to wait one long day for second delivery. In my opinion Portal 2 is same epic as first Portal. It have great graphic and awesome soundtrack. Expand
  14. Apr 25, 2011
    From beginning to end I was having as much fun as any game has provided for me. The puzzles were challenging but solvable, the mechanics are as strong as ever and they added so much to the game without making it convoluted, the story was engaging with brilliant characters and voice acting (Steven Merchant just topped it off). It was a nice length this time (the first portal was veryFrom beginning to end I was having as much fun as any game has provided for me. The puzzles were challenging but solvable, the mechanics are as strong as ever and they added so much to the game without making it convoluted, the story was engaging with brilliant characters and voice acting (Steven Merchant just topped it off). It was a nice length this time (the first portal was very short). Overall it just seemed like a game that the developers really cared about when making. It's only April but I doubt I play a better game this year. Expand
  15. Apr 25, 2011
    This game is fantastic, easily one of the top five games of all time. The ending it self is the best to any game I have ever played. Character design is top notch, along with the voice acting. There is a subtle story in the background that is only bested by the story on the surface. The game it self runs a length of 8-10 hours depending on how long it takes to solve some of the tests. InThis game is fantastic, easily one of the top five games of all time. The ending it self is the best to any game I have ever played. Character design is top notch, along with the voice acting. There is a subtle story in the background that is only bested by the story on the surface. The game it self runs a length of 8-10 hours depending on how long it takes to solve some of the tests. In addition to the single player you are also given co-op to play with a friend. All of these negative reviews are nit picking things that are mostly false. The game play hours are well above the 3-5 stated in other reviews. The "DLC" is only cosmetic that you by no means need in order to fully enjoy the game, you even get some of them for free by getting achievements. As for the save game screen stating "Do not turn off your console", most people won't even see this screen since a save takes less than a second, and the word "console" was just one word that wasn't change back to "computer" in some code. Complaining about the ARG (Alternate Reality Game) releasing the game early (which it technically was released early) was never promised by Valve, it was simple speculation until the last weekend. Even then you were never forced to purchase the games in the "potato sack". I enjoyed getting the back story and intrigue that went along with the ARG, which is what they are meant for. Expand
  16. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic fun, very entertaining, Cave Johnson was the best. Single player wasn't as difficult as I was hoping but mulitplayer definitely provides challenges.
  17. Apr 25, 2011
    Awesome story, the complaints about DLC and short story are stealing the headlights unfortunatly. as a £/hour rate, easily equivelent to movie rentals, and much cheaper than cinema viewing. The number of laughs i had playing this game and the co-op have suprised me.
  18. Apr 25, 2011
    I will start off my review by stating the obvious- the game is excellent. The characters are charming and hilarious. they bring the story to life and make the experience featured in the game an exciting and thrilling one that delivers right until the end. the pacing is genius; the game never feels like its sending you through a meat grinder of puzzles. The difficulty sits in perfectI will start off my review by stating the obvious- the game is excellent. The characters are charming and hilarious. they bring the story to life and make the experience featured in the game an exciting and thrilling one that delivers right until the end. the pacing is genius; the game never feels like its sending you through a meat grinder of puzzles. The difficulty sits in perfect balance. when you complete a puzzle a great sense of accomplishment is felt that makes you feel intelligent. even the most seasoned Portal Veteran will find difficulty in this game. Now I will address something that has been really bothering me about the user reviews on this game and many others. it seems that every sequel, big title, or high budget game gets slander with a slue of unfair scores written by people who have obviously never played the game. look at negative review of this game; I can guarantee that %90 of the people who will claim ownership to these reviews have never even played that game. I understand that we are all entitled to express our opinions but I also believe that if an opinion is not supported with proper facts and arguments it holds no true merit and can be disregarded. I guess what I'm really try to say is 'get the stick out of your ass'. You should not gain a negative notion about a game simply because its a sequel to a game that people enjoyed. Valve obviously worked hard on this game for four years and to slander it without playing it just goes to show that some people just do not appreciate games or their developers and should be removed from this site. Expand
  19. Apr 25, 2011
    Valve has again exceeded every limit current high end games contain according to perfection. Portal 2 is simply one of the best games of all time, I can't say more than that.
  20. Apr 25, 2011
    Simply the best Valve sequel ever. I enjoyed Portal 2 way more then Portal and I enjoyed Portal a lot. The story line is amazing and the graphics are as well. Valve out did themselves on this one, keep up the good work.
  21. Apr 25, 2011
    Best game I've played in years. It has it all. If you appreciate good video games, play this and you'll enjoy every second. The story twists and turns, the dialogue is hilarious, the fleshed out history of Aperture is fascinating. Behind all of that it's a devilishly clever puzzle game which remains fresh after a few additions. I can't recommend Portal 2 enough.
  22. Apr 25, 2011
    I came for the dry black humor and the mind bending puzzles. I stayed for the great graphics, improved physics and engrossing storyline, along with an ending that did not at all disappoint as I'd expected it to. I will be playing this one over and over.
  23. Apr 25, 2011
    I don't understand how people give a game a low score (or zero) for including completely optional, PURELY AESTHETIC options. Now, had they included maps or new levels of any kind and made me pay to unlock it, that would warrant a lower score. I, for one, much prefer the default skins of the bots. They didn't need to add anything extra to them, but decided to, so if you have the moneyI don't understand how people give a game a low score (or zero) for including completely optional, PURELY AESTHETIC options. Now, had they included maps or new levels of any kind and made me pay to unlock it, that would warrant a lower score. I, for one, much prefer the default skins of the bots. They didn't need to add anything extra to them, but decided to, so if you have the money and desire, you can make them look different. But I'm quite confident in making the assumption that a good portion of people rather the default bot looks.

ANYWAY... Onto my actual review:

Some people may think it's a tad too short, but honestly, if it were any longer, some or all of the sections probably would have started to feel dragged out. Like many people, I was just about ready to call it quits for a portal-break right before I realized I was in chapter 9. That bit of game-pacing alone just helped to make the game even better than it had been a few seconds earlier.

Also, some people might have said it was too easy. It was a little easier than some of the hardcore Portal 1 mods that some people might have been hoping for, but it was on par with Portal 1, just without some of the lightening-reaction moments. It's a puzzle game, and Valve did an excellent job gauging the difficulty. I was able to play through it without getting horrifically angry at any one puzzle, but without feeling like I wasn't doing anything. I'm certain that my having trained heavily through the use of expert portal 1 map packs helped add to the ease with which I beat Portal 2, but my personal expertise is NOT something to rate the game down for.

And the story. It was great. They fed off of the (very) little history provided in Portal 1, and fully realized Aperture Science, while continuing your relation with GLaDOS in a way more personal than many may have thought, while also introducing some new characters. In a way, Portal 2 acted as a sequel, and functional prequel to Portal, which I found amazing.

And then there's coop. Fun. Just plain fun. No guarantees if you aren't playing with a friend, but the half-dozen or so people I've ran into in random internet matches have been great fun. A lot of the times it may seem that there is only one solution to any given coop map, but in two cases, I'm almost certain the only solution I could come to is the wrong one, and that feels great.

My final verdict? If you've played Portal 1, definitely buy Portal 2. If you haven't played Portal 1, buy Portal 1 and THEN buy Portal 2. It's as perfect a game as you could ask for!
  24. Apr 25, 2011
    Ohh this is it. The best game Ever done! Story, graphics, amazing characters, etc..... This game has got it all. Unless Ep3 is released soon... Portal 2 is going to be in the Top 1 for a loong time...
  25. Apr 25, 2011
    With the same humor and charm as the first with nine times the science, this game really exemplifies the greatest of modern puzzle games, but somehow calling Portal 2 a mere puzzle game doesn't seem to really do it justice.

If you are on the fence about your purchase you can always just buy the ps3 version and sell the disc after you've redeemed your steam code, but chances are you're not going to want to.
  26. Apr 26, 2011
    It is the gr8 game of valve.if portal 2 supports DX11 may be it will become the game of the year,but it isn't...
    Now just w8 for HALF LIFE 2 EPISODE 3, then we will see which is the gr8 game...
  27. Apr 26, 2011
    Fantastic in all areas. The single player expanded on the original in unique and fun ways. The story telling kept up the pace set by portal. Level design as usual was flawless. I completed it in 14 hours including co-op and still need to go back for more... so what are you complaining about?? The co-op was without a doubt the best bit of multiplayer gaming I have ever engaged in. It almostFantastic in all areas. The single player expanded on the original in unique and fun ways. The story telling kept up the pace set by portal. Level design as usual was flawless. I completed it in 14 hours including co-op and still need to go back for more... so what are you complaining about?? The co-op was without a doubt the best bit of multiplayer gaming I have ever engaged in. It almost needs it's own review as it was so seperate from the single player :) Expand
  28. Apr 26, 2011
    Jaw droppingly good looking, top notch gameplay, and amazing story. This is quite possibly the best game I have ever played. I played this once and look forwards to playing it again as I feel that I missed a lot of content.
    While this game may be "short" compared to some games there is never a dull moment and it is packed to the brim with content
  29. Apr 26, 2011
    Smart, funny and very entertaining. Portal 2 was an experience that you will never forget. Its rewarding and the co-up makes you want to hug your fellow robot companion. Looking back on Portal, Portal 2 is better in each and every way, even though the source engine is old, its just perfect for a game like this.
  30. Apr 26, 2011
    As with most Valve games, the production quality of Portal 2 is phenomenal compared to any other game I have played in the past few years. Graphics are a big improvement over the original, and new source engine features like the ability to limit frame rate to save power on a laptop are welcome. The entire game, including the coop campaign, was very funny and entertaining, even if some ofAs with most Valve games, the production quality of Portal 2 is phenomenal compared to any other game I have played in the past few years. Graphics are a big improvement over the original, and new source engine features like the ability to limit frame rate to save power on a laptop are welcome. The entire game, including the coop campaign, was very funny and entertaining, even if some of the humor fell on the subtle side (similar jokes to the first game's "cake" do exist, but they aren't as obviously displayed). I enjoyed each of the plot twists and the entire campaign felt like it was paced well. The coop campaign is entirely unique from the single player, adding even more quality content in the mix. I hope to see the availability of new maps to be added, and it does appear to be possible, but will take off a couple of tenths just because it wasn't shipped with the game.

My final score is 9.7/10