8.8

1. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is is the best game from valve ever, the visuals are unbelivable, the sound is amazing, the puzzles are hard but once you figure it out it you feel smart and love it, the story is unbalivabley awesome, co-op is great ONLY if your friends have it otherwise you dont get to play... otherwise thats good, still this is the most awesome thing ever...of all time.
  2. Apr 24, 2011
    I really don't understand the hate some users are heaping on this--this game is FUN!

Absolutely loved it all. The dialog is once again endlessly quotable: sharp, witty, and intelligent. Those reporting that it's not funny...are certainly not humorous people. In fact, they're probably dead bores, socially obtuse, and only adept at creating awkward silences. For anyone else with half a sense of humor, this stuff is gold. Plot's solid, there's some great history about Aperture Laboratories, and it does a great job at wrapping everything up. The puzzles are challenging, all the new elements are a lot of fun, and it feels like there was a great deal of thought, care, and innovation put into this. As I played, I couldn't help but marvel sometimes at just how much I missed this kind of experience--Portal 2 takes on all the good of the original game, and makes it even that much better. A must buy, and a strong, well-deserved contender for Game of the Year!
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    I really don't understand what's with all these bad reviews. Maybe they're trolls who can't stand that this is an EXCELLENT GAME and that DRAGON AGE 2 SUCKS. Deal with it and move on. Yes PC gamer prefers Portal 2 and gave it an editor's pick unlike DA 2. Well, this is an absolutely amazing game and nobody should miss it. doubt it? read the reviews! how could it be bad with some many 100s? 10/10
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    My 5 year old has been begging me for this game since Valve released all of the trailers. I honestly wasn't interested with this game and I haven't even played Portal 1. After purchasing the game and watching my son, I was instantly hooked with the graphics, humor, and easy controls. Suffice it to say, Portal 2 is mine--not my son's;)
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    i can't help but think those who voted this game down simply did so because they either a) couldn't get through the game because the puzzles were too difficult and felt the need to punish valve for their own incompetence b) automatically dislike anything the general public likes because they view their own opinion as 'unique' only if it conflicts with everyone else, or c) are just plaini can't help but think those who voted this game down simply did so because they either a) couldn't get through the game because the puzzles were too difficult and felt the need to punish valve for their own incompetence b) automatically dislike anything the general public likes because they view their own opinion as 'unique' only if it conflicts with everyone else, or c) are just plain crazy.

this game was a BLAST. the puzzles were challenging, yet fun and rewarding. the story line was engrossing and entertaining. the humor was sadistic and ever-present, and the co-op made me LAUGH TILL I CRIED at the joy of sending teammates to their untimely deaths at the hands of the game's deadly environs. was it short? a bit, but this game was an experience worthy of valve's reputation for quality, and definitely worth the $50. if you have the patience and mental faculties to wrap your mind around game play mechanics not found in any other game to solve some very interesting and challenging puzzles, and you just love good games, buy this one. if you don't like it, refer to my first statement.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    It's got everything that I expected it to have and much, much more, such as... a loading screen between every single level! Huzzah! Oh.. wait... no. I almost forgot that I LOATH loading screens with the passion of a thousand blazing suns!! Seriously, ya think they could have come up with a more clever way of loading each level. Maybe something like, oh I dunno, using opaque windowlessIt's got everything that I expected it to have and much, much more, such as... a loading screen between every single level! Huzzah! Oh.. wait... no. I almost forgot that I LOATH loading screens with the passion of a thousand blazing suns!! Seriously, ya think they could have come up with a more clever way of loading each level. Maybe something like, oh I dunno, using opaque windowless elevators like they did in Portal 1??

But, I digress. Ya know, when a few extra loading screens is the only reasonable imperfection that you can find in an otherwise perfect game, then you know you've got yourself a pretty damn epic piece of software. And portal 2 is epic. It's also extremely well polished. I dare speculate that the entire active bug list might fit on one sheet of paper, single sided, and double spaced. Other than a really minor sound stutter at the end of some levels, I've yet to run into anything even resembling a bug.

There's nothing else to say. Valve's crew stuck to the formula and created a squeal that is not only worthy of the original, but also strong enough to stand entirely on its own. Portal 2 is a shoe-in for Game of the Year. This game is a home run in anyone's book.

Bravo, Valve! Bravo.
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    Vivid Environments, Stunning Storytelling and an immense immersion of humour in what is the best of valves collection to date. Portal 2 has bumped the valve franchise up a notch with this co-op/single player First Person Puzzler (FPP), Its extremely enjoyable and lived up to the reputation as have all the Half-Life Series. Hopefully Episode three is tied up in with this story lineVivid Environments, Stunning Storytelling and an immense immersion of humour in what is the best of valves collection to date. Portal 2 has bumped the valve franchise up a notch with this co-op/single player First Person Puzzler (FPP), Its extremely enjoyable and lived up to the reputation as have all the Half-Life Series. Hopefully Episode three is tied up in with this story line somewhere.

In a short Summation: "Kick-Ass"

Valve has broken the tension between waiting for games to be made with this stunning work of art, yes, this game I would highly recommend to the gaming community. If you like the original Portal or Half-Life series, you will enjoy this TENFOLD!

Have fun, Immerse yourselves.
    PaidGamers
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    The best game Valve has ever made. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing, making every puzzle unique. The voice acting is probably the best I've ever seen in a video game. Valve has done it again.
  9. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 isn't just about portals. As a matter of fact, initial development excluded portals altogether. That says a lot about the true heart of this game. It's an action-adventure game disguised as a puzzle game, and it's story-driven game. Chell's story, Glados' story, and ultimately Aperture's. Portals are just means to tell and advance that story. The action, beautifully-pacedPortal 2 isn't just about portals. As a matter of fact, initial development excluded portals altogether. That says a lot about the true heart of this game. It's an action-adventure game disguised as a puzzle game, and it's story-driven game. Chell's story, Glados' story, and ultimately Aperture's. Portals are just means to tell and advance that story. The action, beautifully-paced and driven by a dark and ominous soundtrack, invokes memories of Half-Life 2. The writing and voice acting are superb, with plenty of comic relief to put a smile on your face. While it's not the revolution HL2 was, it's as every bit a masterpiece in game design. Players looking for hardcore dexterity-based puzzles may be disappointed. Those of us who enjoy all aspects of gaming will cherish Portal 2 as an instant classic. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    I created an account on Metacritic just to make a review for this game to counter all of the **** that it's been unjustly receiving. Portal 2 is a great game. You'll play it and love it for its story, clever puzzles, top notch voice acting, and creativity. People are being stupid and butt-hurt because they expected the game to end world hunger and cure cancer, and now they're **** about itI created an account on Metacritic just to make a review for this game to counter all of the **** that it's been unjustly receiving. Portal 2 is a great game. You'll play it and love it for its story, clever puzzles, top notch voice acting, and creativity. People are being stupid and butt-hurt because they expected the game to end world hunger and cure cancer, and now they're **** about it because they've forgotten to have fun while playing a video game.

Play Portal 2. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and if you don't think so, you need to reexamine your definition of fun.
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    Just to warn you people, I have realized that there are groups of people who are in "teams" to bash a certain group, or these who made troll bots to make any games look bad. It has been heard by many that most of the "anticipated" games have these terrible 0's and 1's. So here is the general metacritic public review rules to follow. ALWAYS ignore scores from 0-4. A game getting a 0-4 isJust to warn you people, I have realized that there are groups of people who are in "teams" to bash a certain group, or these who made troll bots to make any games look bad. It has been heard by many that most of the "anticipated" games have these terrible 0's and 1's. So here is the general metacritic public review rules to follow. ALWAYS ignore scores from 0-4. A game getting a 0-4 is impossible, unless the game itself is completely unplayable from the beginning of the game, the soundtracks are terrible, and the UIs are also terrible. (Gameplay includes anything in-game). DO NOT take 10's very seriously. Most of the times when people gives 10, it is from the hype that they just played it. HOWEVER, some games DO deserve the score 10. Just like Portal 2, it deserves the full mark, 10.

WHEN REVIEWING THE OR LOOKING AT REVIEWS,

The only legit reviews are these reviews that take an in-dept view of the gameplay, storyline, soundtrack, graphics and etc. Anything outside these are not an accurate review. Now time for my own review. This game, I can only say is one of the most brilliant game that I've played in so many years. It has been too long ever since a game producing company has made a game that really focuses on storyline and dialog. After playing this, I noticed how Half-Life 2 looked so small compared to this. Any games out looked so small and unrivaled to this ultimated game. When ValvE says its they best game ever created, then it is the best game ever created. There is no game that outmatches the storyline of this game. While challenging indeed, they give you lines of dialog time by time to keep you active in-game. There are no timed pressured **** like some other games give. This is one of these games where you could relax, and make you brain fry depending on your intelligence. Thats singleplayer without spoil. Now about the co-op. I should say, co-op is a total brilliance. Unless you chose a terribly wrong partner, there wouldn't be any raging over why can't you do this and this. Rather than single player, co-op actually require you to think way out of the box. Of course, for creators, it is a pretty easier job to create a puzzle, but as more puzzles you solve, the harder it gets, even for the creator. I recommend you to play sp first before mp. The only reason is because there is s correlation between these 2 game modes. The graphics, it might not be a beast graphic, but I tell you, for a ten years old engine, they make some terribly good graphics. Every single textures are so clean, and the weapons are so shiny that you actually want to lick the **** out it. There are no major changes is game mechanics as it only gets better from the first one. And about the DLC ****. These are trolls. Don't listen to them. These of you who are new to valve's multiplayer such as TF2, they require you to pay for specific items you can get ( which doesn't affect gameplay) to customize yourself. However, it must be noted that these items can be gained for free by playing quite a lot of times. So don't waste your money there. Or, if you want support valve to make a better DLC, then do so. Portal 2 DLC comes out after L4D2 DLC. Also, just one reminder, don't rush the game. Go slowly and try to enjoy it. Total gaming hours including co-op: 15 Hours. Replayability: If your going for achievements -> Tons If your the type that just wants to play again -> about 3-5 times. And Im probably sure, when DLC comes out, the fun just increases so much more.

Also to remind you, valve's DLCs are always free for PC. PS3 and XBOX360s are sometimes uncertain due to these corrupted company. But as far as I know, both console will have free DLC and PS3 now also supports steam, thus giving flexibility between PS3 and PC gaming.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    All these low reviews must have not bought the DLC. I bought the DLC as soon as I heard about it, it makes the game so much better. I've been telling all my friends to buy the full DLC pack, and I encourage you to do the same. Great game. Thanks, Valve.
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply amazing.

The game easily improves everything in the old one.

The characters are great, the environments are varied, gameplay is fun and has a lot of twists with the different gels and stuff.

co op mode is a blast, and easily the most fun Ive had online this year (Even better than Magicka).

If you loved Portal 2, youll love this even more.
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    Metacritic should only accept reviews from people who have played the game. Maybe create a software to check for a valid serial number before someone can post a review because the mediocre scores is clearly from a raid. This has happened before, to Dragon Age 2 and Spore. go **** yourself /v/, and take your anonymous is legion **** with you.
    oh yeah, I'm giving it a 10/10 just to spite
    oh yeah, I'm giving it a 10/10 just to spite you.

you are worthless
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Easily the best game I've played so far this year; all of the writing is excellent, especially the parts with Cave Johnson. The level design is very typical of Valve, very well executed and detailed with careful attention to even the littlest bits of foliage. The ending is apparently very easy to misinterpret, as I've seen quite a few people posting about how a sequel is inevitable but IEasily the best game I've played so far this year; all of the writing is excellent, especially the parts with Cave Johnson. The level design is very typical of Valve, very well executed and detailed with careful attention to even the littlest bits of foliage. The ending is apparently very easy to misinterpret, as I've seen quite a few people posting about how a sequel is inevitable but I really can't see that happening. Portal 2 actually wraps up the Aperture storyline quite nicely in my opinion, but we'll see.

The game is definitely pretty lengthy compared to the first one, sporting two separate campaigns; Valve has publicly stated that the single player campaign is three times the length of the original, while the campaign for the co-op times at about twice the length of the original; having five times the content at a little over double the price seems like a very fair and generous trade off to me :)

Ignore the hate and definitely check this title out if you're a Valve fan, you won't be disappointed. It's a shame a solid game can't be released anymore without a flood of miscreants who haven't even played the game rating it at a 0/10. Mais, c'est la vie~
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    The big stink behind portal 2's low user reviews score is due to the fact that valve was charging outrageous amounts of money for cosmetic dlc. That being you said you don't have to buy it and it is a fantastic game outside of that and Valve has always done a good job of pleasing its fans. Don't buy the dlc if you don't want it, the game itself is fantastic as is.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely no problems with this game. The puzzles are fun, yet take a lot of thinking. The sound is crisp and nice. The graphics are the graphics you expect from Valve's Source Engine, with a bit more detail. The whole concept of Aperture Science all abandoned and with a lot of vegetation growth only adds to the atmosphere. The story is confusing at first, but you'll pick up. Don't letAbsolutely no problems with this game. The puzzles are fun, yet take a lot of thinking. The sound is crisp and nice. The graphics are the graphics you expect from Valve's Source Engine, with a bit more detail. The whole concept of Aperture Science all abandoned and with a lot of vegetation growth only adds to the atmosphere. The story is confusing at first, but you'll pick up. Don't let the other user reviews let you think otherwise, this game is amazing. If you're new to Portal though, I suggest you play the first one then the second one. There's no DLC with this game at all, just some cosmetic skins for Co-Op. The skins change no game play and just add for decoration. This game deserves the score it got, it's fantastic. Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a 6 - 8 hour game, with another 6 - 8 hour co-op campaign, in total making this around 14 hours long. The game offers the opportunity to buy small vanity items for your co-op characters, however these have no affect on gameplay and are entirely optional. The ending isn't a cliffhanger, more of an open-ending. If anything, it wraps up the plot more than leaves you waiting forPortal 2 is a 6 - 8 hour game, with another 6 - 8 hour co-op campaign, in total making this around 14 hours long. The game offers the opportunity to buy small vanity items for your co-op characters, however these have no affect on gameplay and are entirely optional. The ending isn't a cliffhanger, more of an open-ending. If anything, it wraps up the plot more than leaves you waiting for more.
    People are judging this game a bit too harshly, this really is up to Valve standard, and was definitely worth the wait.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    Some people's complaints about modern gaming's business models aside Valve's Portal 2 is a game full of dark humor and wonderful character that's easily the best thing you'll have the to opportunity to waste your money on this year.

If you liked Portal you will like this. That's all there is to it. We're done here.
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    Another wonderful masterpiece brought to you by VALVe. This is A+ quality, well worth the $50 bucks.
    Everything looks so good in this game, the source engine seems to have evolved, it looks prettier than ever.
    If you liked the first installment of Portal, i'm sure you'll love Portal 2 with passion.
  21. Apr 19, 2011
    I think this game is brilliant! Nevertheless, I have only played it for three hour now, it's simply fantastic! The puzzles haven't lost their challenge and the plot seems to be again interesting. Co-op mode will surely add more complexity to the game like new pro- and repulsion gels. Some have complained about DLCs but as far as I understand, they're purely cosmetic and won't changeI think this game is brilliant! Nevertheless, I have only played it for three hour now, it's simply fantastic! The puzzles haven't lost their challenge and the plot seems to be again interesting. Co-op mode will surely add more complexity to the game like new pro- and repulsion gels. Some have complained about DLCs but as far as I understand, they're purely cosmetic and won't change gameplay or -mechanics. Expand
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    Noh my god this is the best game ever this is in no way a strawman account used to artificially inflate the user score since certain grassroots nintendrones and xbots have conspired to spread libel to soothe their butthurt. You can type it here, but not there.
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    Lawl. haters gonna hate I spose. well, lets set it straight.
    1) no DLC to speak of on PC. and apparently none on consoles either according to a fair number of people.
    2) bout 8-10 hours of gameplay if you're fast. saying "4 hours" means you're **** 3)heard nothing but good things from console users, unless you're implying it was ported from console to PC, then I don't even got to say ****
    Lawl. haters gonna hate I spose. well, lets set it straight.
    3)heard nothing but good things from console users, unless you're implying it was ported from console to PC, then I don't even got to say **** just LOL at ragefail (valve = PC ;) )
    love all the console rage from people on the PC area. way to learnz2read gaiz :D
    P.S. ALMOST FORGOT- Game is great, worth the money, you won't be disappointed. let the haters hate and have fun ^^
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    Please ignore all of the negative reviews. It's just /v/ getting mad over the fact that Valve is charging money for in-game avatars, and it has nothing to do with the game itself.

These people, despite claiming that "vidya" games is their passion thing that they truly enjoy, will try as hard as they can to find fault with a game and let this fault (however minor) ruin the experience for them. They are heartless, lonely, vengeful individuals who spend their nights alone on the internet bashing video games and will take any opportunity they can to "fight for justice" and have their voice heard, as you can see here.

These poor people are lonely, bitter and cold, and any humanity they did have has died out long ago. You should simply ignore their blind hate, then pity their existence and move on.
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    Do not take the majority of these reviews seriously. /v/ of **** has decided to "metabomb" the game. There is not Day 1 DLC, you get the entire game when you pay for it, and the game is very fun. The I have been playing for well over 10 hours, and am not all the way through the game. I can tell you however that the new mechanics, add a new level of challenge to the game and force you toDo not take the majority of these reviews seriously. /v/ of **** has decided to "metabomb" the game. There is not Day 1 DLC, you get the entire game when you pay for it, and the game is very fun. The I have been playing for well over 10 hours, and am not all the way through the game. I can tell you however that the new mechanics, add a new level of challenge to the game and force you to think in new ways.
    Portal 2 is the best sequel I could have hope for.
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    It's clear that if you're a hardcore gamer, and somewhat autistic, this game is too short for the price paid, and you won't appreciate the dialogue. But if you're more casual, and you enjoy and appreciate humor, sarcasm and deadpan passive-aggressive menace, you'll probably really, really enjoy this game

And you shouldn't buy the DLC.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    A perfect game. It's as simple as that. Co-op is fantastic and single player is even better. With an engrossing story and some fun yet challenging puzzles what's not to love? The day 1 DLC. Who gives a damn. It doesn't affect gameplay at all. How about you buy the game first? If you didn't click the robot enrichment you wouldn't even know it's there. Simple as that. Enjoy this great gameA perfect game. It's as simple as that. Co-op is fantastic and single player is even better. With an engrossing story and some fun yet challenging puzzles what's not to love? The day 1 DLC. Who gives a damn. It doesn't affect gameplay at all. How about you buy the game first? If you didn't click the robot enrichment you wouldn't even know it's there. Simple as that. Enjoy this great game as it should be.

28. Apr 19, 2011
    This is one of the best games in the world. The gameplay is very entertaining, dialogs are brilliant and graphics is rather good. The best game Valve has ever made.
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hands down the best game I have played in a long, long time. Just finished the single player in one 7 hour sitting and could barely tear myself away the entire time. The writing was stunning and the game as a whole expanded on everything offered in the original Portal by leaps and bounds. I'm disappointed to see many other users giving this game unfairly low scores because of day 1 DLC and a single bug where the save message displays "do not turn off your console before save is completed". Valve explained on their forums that late in the development process it was easier to keep the message in when trying to obtain certificates from Sony and Microsoft in order to release the game, and it is forgivable that removing the message may have slipped under the developers radars. The DLC is purely cosmetic, doesn't affect the game in any way and is essentially just hats, paint skins and a few animations. I've heard reports from people that achieving certain achievements in-game has actually helped to unlock some of the DLC for them, showing that it may be a similar system to items in TF2 where Valve has obviously taken the idea from.

The ARG marketing leading up to the release was a nice touch and really helped build up deserved hype for this excellent game.
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    good game, people who are rating low are just stupid trolls from /v/ (thats the place on the internet were underage idiots go)

DLC is great and i bought all the hats because im not a low life like everyone on /v/ (i did something with my life and have a good job)

fun gameplay, really expanded on the first.
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    The best puzzle game made ever. Don't lie mother*****, singleplayer campaign of game continues 7 hours, not 2-3. And remember, PC version is not console port, you will ask me why "Why", I'll answer you that first gameplay videos was a PC version gameplay, "Please don't turn off your console" is just confused text files.
  32. Apr 19, 2011
    An amazing sequel. I was pleased at the number of new gameplay elements involved, the addition of a well implemented challenging co-op mode. The humor was excellent and nonrepeticious, I am really looking forward to completing the singleplayer.
  33. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't get hung up on extras that don't affect the gameplay or the story. They are easily ignorable. You might not even know its there unless someone tells you.
    Whining gaming babies are babies!
    DLC? Hats? Those make you angry? Grow up and get over yourself.
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is "SIMPLY THE BEST, BETTER THAN ALL THE REST . . ." No but honestly this game is the best game I have bought in I don't know how long and I haven't even tried the co-op. I was laughing so hard through the entire SP. The game also offers a very entertaining storyline . . . it's so good I wish they would write a book about it . . . It may be that this is just my kind of game andThis game is "SIMPLY THE BEST, BETTER THAN ALL THE REST . . ." No but honestly this game is the best game I have bought in I don't know how long and I haven't even tried the co-op. I was laughing so hard through the entire SP. The game also offers a very entertaining storyline . . . it's so good I wish they would write a book about it . . . It may be that this is just my kind of game and I'm writing this review with a little bit of prejudice but in all honesty the puzzles arenâ Expand
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    I don't get the outcry about the DLC. The DLC is a completely extra thing that nobody could claim should have belonged in the base game. (You are really pissed about not getting beanie caps for your robots??? #firstworldproblems). Our community has gotten completely ridiculous in acting like if anybody wants money for anything, they must be evil. Well, we exchange money for things we like,I don't get the outcry about the DLC. The DLC is a completely extra thing that nobody could claim should have belonged in the base game. (You are really pissed about not getting beanie caps for your robots??? #firstworldproblems). Our community has gotten completely ridiculous in acting like if anybody wants money for anything, they must be evil. Well, we exchange money for things we like, and Portal 2 fits the bill. It's a beautifully designed, and wonderfully written, clever and fun video game. The single player campaign seems very long so far -- certainly didn't thrash it out in six hours like the original Portal. Calm down, people. Expand
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is so much better than the original portal. Glados is back and hilarious, and now the addition of Cave makes it even more funny (the personality sphere is funny but sometimes a bit 'meh'). Gels, lasers and the other devices make the puzzles much more fun to solve and more satisfying as well. Dont listen to the buthurt people complaining about DLC, the reviews by ign, eurogamerThis game is so much better than the original portal. Glados is back and hilarious, and now the addition of Cave makes it even more funny (the personality sphere is funny but sometimes a bit 'meh'). Gels, lasers and the other devices make the puzzles much more fun to solve and more satisfying as well. Dont listen to the buthurt people complaining about DLC, the reviews by ign, eurogamer etc are much more accurate. Expand
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    After the end credits roll on Portal 2, it's kind of hard to believe that this series had its humble beginnings as a student project called Narbacular Drop, which itself just laid down the basic mechanical framework for the kind of fourth-dimensional puzzle-solving of the original Portal. Even the original Portal was all but defined by its tight focus and limited scale; it just executed onAfter the end credits roll on Portal 2, it's kind of hard to believe that this series had its humble beginnings as a student project called Narbacular Drop, which itself just laid down the basic mechanical framework for the kind of fourth-dimensional puzzle-solving of the original Portal. Even the original Portal was all but defined by its tight focus and limited scale; it just executed on all those elements with a consistent, almost preternatural level of ingenuity and humor. I use the somewhat dismissive "just" here because the challenges of following up something so inventive and so universally well-received are arguably greater than coming up with the core concept in the first place. The element of surprise was a significant factor in the impact of the original Portal, but going into Portal 2, you know how a portal gun works, you know that Aperture Science is essentially a less diabolical, but equally irresponsible counterpart to Half-Life's Black Mesa, and you know that GlaDOS likes testing, but loves murder. With these known quantities in mind, Valve does about the smartest thing it can with a full-blown sequel to such an effectively minimalist package by tossing out many of the self-imposed restrictions of the original and largely ignoring the temptation to lean on lots of easy callbacks. What it lacks in the surprise punch the original packed, it makes up for with scope and scale, couching that now-familiar combination of deadpan humor and brain-boggling puzzles in a game that's significantly bigger and more robust in virtually every meaningful way, but without feeling any less dense. Expand
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    For god's sake people! Crying over petty optional cosmetic changes and calling it DLC? SERIOUSLY?
    It's not even story content! you're not missing anything, and you're not FORCED to buy it. Just because a developer happens to release DLC on launch day, it doesn't mean that god is going to use the force on you to click buy!
    Grade the game on its content, not minor bumps and bugs. And being

Grade the game on its content, not minor bumps and bugs. And being too short isn't an excuse either. Ever hear of quality not quantity? A million pennies or one million dollar check, you tell me.

All in All, a fantastic game. The characters, although being mostly robots, are more compelling then any human characters in any other game. Hats off to you Valve.
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is yet again one of Valve's masterpieces. Still, some people seem to deliberately post wrong information about the game to make it seem like a terrible game. This game is definitely NOT a console port, it takes at least (and that's the super minimum) 6 hours to complete on one's first run, the coop is just great and the available "DLC" is just make-up for the coop mode. Granted,Portal 2 is yet again one of Valve's masterpieces. Still, some people seem to deliberately post wrong information about the game to make it seem like a terrible game. This game is definitely NOT a console port, it takes at least (and that's the super minimum) 6 hours to complete on one's first run, the coop is just great and the available "DLC" is just make-up for the coop mode. Granted, you don't have to like the idea of such purchasable in-game items, but it's definitely not any additional content that people are missing out on if they don't pay for it, it's just to change your appearance in coop mode. People should value this game for its perfect story, great humor and fun, instead of taking some minor flaws and making them into huge problems. This just seems to be hatred against Valve, for no apparent reason. Expand
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    Graphics were awesome, especially lightning. It has an awesome story that will definitely make you laugh and the upgraded gameplay from Portal 1 is just the icing on the cake.
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve proves once again that it is the best game studio out there. A great sequel with a great atmosphere. Although i also think that dlcs, ingame shops, console versions and the like are absolutely unacceptable, i will ignore them for my rating of the game. The game is nearly perfect and deserves a 10. Only for ppl who playd portal 1 ofc.
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    A simply incredible game that builds on the game play, story, and style of the original. On release night it kept me up until 5 am on a work night, and all I can think about is when I can get back to it again.

There puzzles are well paced and varied enough to keep the game fresh in every test chamber, the humor is priceless and the background story that sneaks it's way in around the mid game is subtle but fascinating.

It's a shame that MetaCritic's User review section has been used as a hate platform, not just for Portal 2, but every good new game that's come out in the last few months. I have to wonder if they're even real reviews? Theres no way they played the same game I'm enjoying so much.
  43. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is the best one in its genre, yes you don't kill anyone but thinking with portals makes up for that. Aboslutely Brilliant. Thanks Valve! 10/10
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    Just finished the game and it is pretty awesome. It is exactly what i expect from something called portal 2; more of the familiar portal gameplay. Textures were a bit **** at times and loading screens are rampant, obvious signs of a console port, but nothing game breaking. The game has a 'hat store' just like TF2 and if this was not included then you wouldnt see nearly as many low userJust finished the game and it is pretty awesome. It is exactly what i expect from something called portal 2; more of the familiar portal gameplay. Textures were a bit **** at times and loading screens are rampant, obvious signs of a console port, but nothing game breaking. The game has a 'hat store' just like TF2 and if this was not included then you wouldnt see nearly as many low user scores here. The fact thats most amusing is that all these cosmetic items are usually unlocked with achievements, you would only pay if you were too lazy to just play game. 4.5 hours of gameplay and another 3 hours of a separate co op campaign is pretty good for $45.
    This game does not deserve to be bashed the way is being bashed now, especially from people who haven't even played the game.
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing game in every regard. I can't say i was looking forward to this, as i didn't think they'd be able to keep the charm Portal 1 had for a whole other game that was so much longer. However, they did it absolutely perfectly. I was smiling and enjoying myself for the whole experience.

Ignore all of the negative reviews. They are not about the game itself, they are just upset about "DLC" which are actually just micro-transactions. Everything available in the store is able to be unlocked ingame for free, not to mention the fact it is all cosmetic, so there is actually no need for it.

The singleplayer games length is perfect. It is 6 hours at the very minimum (most people i know took a lot longer to finish it than this). Sure i could repeat it and finish it in 3-4 hours, but thats what happens when you repeat a puzzle game... Regardless, 6 hours of unique, funny, interesting, challenging game play is well worth the cost. I'd prefer this over 30 hours of a drawn out, boring, repetitive game like nearly every other recent title i can think of, which is long for the sake of being long.

I highly recommend picking up this game, I fail to see how anyone could not enjoy this.
  46. Apr 19, 2011
    AMAZINGLY done! They pulled off the acting very well, 10 out of 10 for it! DLC does bother me, but it's not mandatory and does not affect game-play at all. Finished the game about 1 hour ago, and I'm still trying to wonder how I did some of those puzzles as they were very difficult.(Even though some will say it was easy) Amazing job again Valve, cept. for the DLC, but the game was great!
  47. Apr 19, 2011
    with all this love towards valve and everyone saying this is the best game ever i cant believe they aren't working extra hard to bring us half life 3........ oh wait. Sorry its just that people complained about L4D2 and now this and i mean i can see why they aren;t to thrilled to be releasing the game everyone wants when people just complain about it. Overall great game and if you complainwith all this love towards valve and everyone saying this is the best game ever i cant believe they aren't working extra hard to bring us half life 3........ oh wait. Sorry its just that people complained about L4D2 and now this and i mean i can see why they aren;t to thrilled to be releasing the game everyone wants when people just complain about it. Overall great game and if you complain about how short it is ... go make a friend or two and play co-op there is a world outside of your basement. Expand
  48. Apr 19, 2011
    Probably the best Valve game so far. I don't get why people moan about OPTIONAL premium content, it's not like it affects the game in any way other than making you feel less 1337 than others. I might be an 'average gamer', but i've spent 8 hours and I'm about 75% of my way through the singleplayer campaign, looking forward to the co-op. There's only so much you can do with portals and IProbably the best Valve game so far. I don't get why people moan about OPTIONAL premium content, it's not like it affects the game in any way other than making you feel less 1337 than others. I might be an 'average gamer', but i've spent 8 hours and I'm about 75% of my way through the singleplayer campaign, looking forward to the co-op. There's only so much you can do with portals and I think Valve has expanded the fun factor greatly over Portal 1. The Source engine evidently has a few years in it yet, as the graphics and physics were impressive - I bought Crysis 2 for its graphics, but so far Portal 2's been more eye-pleasing! Expand
  49. ajd
    Apr 19, 2011
    Valve proves their brilliance once again! I've only played the single player campaign, but I can safely say this is at least as good as, if not better than, the original Portal. Great script, interesting puzzles (that aren't too challenging) and it's a good length. I'm not going to comment on the whole ARG and leaking issues - they're irrelevant to the actual quality of the game. If youValve proves their brilliance once again! I've only played the single player campaign, but I can safely say this is at least as good as, if not better than, the original Portal. Great script, interesting puzzles (that aren't too challenging) and it's a good length. I'm not going to comment on the whole ARG and leaking issues - they're irrelevant to the actual quality of the game. If you liked the original Portal you'll love Portal 2! Expand
  50. Apr 19, 2011
    Holy cow, you guys here on metacritic REALLY need to calm down!!! Giving a score of "0" simply because a game has DLC? I think that qualifies as a review abuse. Bunch of console tards up in here. Anyways, my honest review, The game was FANTASTIC! The dialog was brilliant, the characters engaging and I'm VERY happy with the end result! Very rarely does a game live up to it's expectationsHoly cow, you guys here on metacritic REALLY need to calm down!!! Giving a score of "0" simply because a game has DLC? I think that qualifies as a review abuse. Bunch of console tards up in here. Anyways, my honest review, The game was FANTASTIC! The dialog was brilliant, the characters engaging and I'm VERY happy with the end result! Very rarely does a game live up to it's expectations and Valve has yet to disappointed. PLEASE KEEP MAKING THESE QUALITY GAMES! Expand
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    The fact of the matter is people came into this game expecting way too much, and I get that. It is a Valve game after all. But the gaming community is being fickle and whiny (especially after the ARG stunt). Despite what these self entitles day one reviewing crybabys will have you believe, Portal 2 is a great game. There is just no way to justify giving it a 0 or a 3. Yes there is day oneThe fact of the matter is people came into this game expecting way too much, and I get that. It is a Valve game after all. But the gaming community is being fickle and whiny (especially after the ARG stunt). Despite what these self entitles day one reviewing crybabys will have you believe, Portal 2 is a great game. There is just no way to justify giving it a 0 or a 3. Yes there is day one DLC, that is OPTIONAL. Yes you may have found the campaign short, but you're probably better at puzzle solving than most. Yes the visuals may not be Crysis material, but it's available multiplat and accessible to those who don't have beast PCs.
    I am unbelievably disappointed in the gaming community, and this backlash will surely have consequences. Valve was already a bashful giant of gaming and arguably one of the last great developers. I fear that this unwarranted backlash may cause them to be much more careful and lose some of their personality in the process. Read the rest of the 0-5 reviews and you will realize WHO exactly is giving the BS reviews. I beg you to reconsider listening to them before checking the game out yourself.
  52. Apr 19, 2011
    It's not perfect but it doesn't deserve all of the bad user reviews.

It has a few problems but it definitely isn't a console port. And I'm sure Valve will fix the main problems ASAP. Also, don't listen to anyone about day 1 DLC. All the DLC is purely aesthetics, it doesn't effect the game in any way if you do or don't buy them. IMO, this is the perfect way to do DLC, maps split up the
    It's not perfect but it doesn't deserve all of the bad user reviews.

Also, don't listen to anyone about day 1 DLC. All the DLC is purely aesthetics, it doesn't effect the game in any way if you do or don't buy them. IMO, this is the perfect way to do DLC, maps split up the community and weapons give certain players an advantage.
  53. Apr 19, 2011
    Better than the first and the first was the most innovative game ever. DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THE TROLLS! They are doing the same thing that happened to Dragon Age. Read all the critic reviews and you will see.
  54. Apr 19, 2011
    Not sure what the angrymonkeys are complaining about...

Downloadable Content for
    Portal 2
    There is no downloadable content available for this game.

nuff said.
  55. Snp
    Apr 19, 2011
    Who cares about the DLC, the story line is good. no glitches, good fast game play, highly entertaining, a lot cheaper than spending 4 hours in a pub. and you get a lot more out of this. 4 hours of game play + the co-op modes. still lots more game play that people don't consider.
  56. Apr 19, 2011
    It is truly shocking that so many people hate this game. It may be shorter than the average game, but for a product of this quality and level of polish it is well worth the money. I thoroughly enjoyed myself from beginning to end. A superb game.
  57. Apr 19, 2011
    With a perfect game comes it's share of pathetic "fans", complaining about DLCs and butthurt about the ARG. Get this game. Now. Everyone. You too. Yeah. That's right.
  58. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good solid game with both great single player and co-op experience. It has a very good level design and strong story that builds on the previous game and develops in new directions. Just like the first game there are fantastic dialog that will stay with you for a long time.
  59. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a great game, took me 8-9 hours or so to finish. plus coop campaign adds more hours on to that and is pretty fun. perfect sequel to the original portal exactly what I wanted. Playing the game again with commentary on is interesting and sometimes funny adding more replay to it. I thought the puzzles were good, the humor in the game was also great. As for the DLC it's all cosmeticThis is a great game, took me 8-9 hours or so to finish. plus coop campaign adds more hours on to that and is pretty fun. perfect sequel to the original portal exactly what I wanted. Playing the game again with commentary on is interesting and sometimes funny adding more replay to it. I thought the puzzles were good, the humor in the game was also great. As for the DLC it's all cosmetic and optional and I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not buying it, it's fine that it's there since it's OPTIONAL. Amazing how people don't seem to understand that concept. Expand
  60. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game Period. the DLC people are complaining about is cosmetic, no different from buying items for your avatar on 360. If you don't want it don't buy it. Just because you know it exists and feel entitled too it doesn't mean it should be "Built in to the game." VALVE IS RUNNING A BUSINESS.
  61. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent game, blew my expectations away. A far better game than Portal 1, with excellent humour, darkness and exceptional soundtrack all besting Portal 1.

On top of that Valve gave us all 37 customization items in the store straight away, as well as providing ways for us to get them for free, in game, by playing the co-operative multiplayer. Oh and they also included a store for those who are too impatient to play the game and get the items that way.
  62. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely amazing from start to finish. It keeps the black humour from the original, and adds to it with a new character, Wheatley, the memory core. The puzzles are also much more challenging than the original with inclusion of all new physics mechanics, gravity beams, light bridges, paint... It's the most fun I've had gaming this year and it's in a very strong place for my personal gameAbsolutely amazing from start to finish. It keeps the black humour from the original, and adds to it with a new character, Wheatley, the memory core. The puzzles are also much more challenging than the original with inclusion of all new physics mechanics, gravity beams, light bridges, paint... It's the most fun I've had gaming this year and it's in a very strong place for my personal game of the year award. And all tied neatly together by a brilliant story that takes you back through the history of aperture science.

Absolutely brilliant.
  63. Apr 19, 2011
    Every single one of you that is rating this game low based on COSMETIC DLC, a game JUST AS ALONG as it's predecessor, and over the ARG/Indie Potato Hunt, are a pathetic lot of tasteless losers. I strongly believe your disturbed and warped views of entitlement have made you forget who made this game and what this game is. Not only have the game play and visual elements to the originalEvery single one of you that is rating this game low based on COSMETIC DLC, a game JUST AS ALONG as it's predecessor, and over the ARG/Indie Potato Hunt, are a pathetic lot of tasteless losers. I strongly believe your disturbed and warped views of entitlement have made you forget who made this game and what this game is. Not only have the game play and visual elements to the original Portal been pushed and developed, but the same element of humor has carried through. The game is just as long as Portal 1, to say nothing of the coop, or the future puzzles that Valve will release. If you don't want to buy cute hats that do nothing but look cute, guess what? YOU DON'T HAVE TO. This is no different from any other company, Valve just ensures that it won't affect your game performance. Instead, those of you who like to play TF2 and play dressup should be ecstatic over this.

Do you guys misunderstand the entire point of the ARG potato hunt? This allowed a number of indie developers to get huge numbers of people to play their games who otherwise wouldn't have. Valve could have handled it better, but a number of fantastic studios were able to get good publicity that they didn't have to pay for. Further, you did get Portal 2 early, even if it wasn't as soon as you would have liked. I would be curious how many of you complaining actually contributed at all, much less enough to warrant your diaper wetting over it.

In the end, every single one of you whining, crying, and coming unglued over this, are a sad pathetic individual who is doing yourself, others, and the industry a huge disservice. I would bet money that the majority of you didn't participate in the ARG, didn't buy Portal 1 until you could get it dirt cheap or free, and did not even PLAY Portal 2 before you wrote your garbage complaints. Hat's off to you scrubs of the net. I hope that Valve and every other game company leaves you to rot.
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    Look at all the 0/1 scores. They all seem to say the exact same thing. The reason? These people have not played the game. If they did then they wouldn't be complaining. For my money, Portal 2 is the best game I've played in a long time. Not only is it fun to play and a challenge to complete, it actually makes you LAUGH. It will ENTERTAIN you. Plus, having to use your brain makes a greatLook at all the 0/1 scores. They all seem to say the exact same thing. The reason? These people have not played the game. If they did then they wouldn't be complaining. For my money, Portal 2 is the best game I've played in a long time. Not only is it fun to play and a challenge to complete, it actually makes you LAUGH. It will ENTERTAIN you. Plus, having to use your brain makes a great change to all this 'shoot anything that moves' games of recent times. Please do not pay attention to the copy+paste negative reviews, this game is incredible and worth every penny. Expand
  65. Apr 19, 2011
    We are /v/? Does "/v/" stand for stupid? A ton of people are going to buy this game no matter what you trolls get together to say. Maybe if you had worked out a plan that didn't include all giving a game with universal critical acclaim a zero simply because they are offering cosmetic DLC your efforts might have been more effective. A few 6s or 7s might have helped your cause.
  66. Zif
    Apr 19, 2011
    This game is great! An initial play through of both campaigns may only take about 10 hours sure, but it's fun the whole way through. There are many new features, and you can replay levels to get better times etc, or do things in different ways. Also I expect mods not to far away which should extend the playtime greatly. I don't care that it has paid DLC, it's all optional junkThis game is great! An initial play through of both campaigns may only take about 10 hours sure, but it's fun the whole way through. There are many new features, and you can replay levels to get better times etc, or do things in different ways. Also I expect mods not to far away which should extend the playtime greatly. I don't care that it has paid DLC, it's all optional junk equivalent to TF hats, it has no effect on how fun the game is. Expand
  67. Apr 19, 2011
    While there are certainly issues with the way VALVe has launched this game, I don't believe those should be factored into a review of the game itself. The game is fun, humours, and the bitter sarcastic GLaDOS chatter is darn good too! The game is visually appealing, etc... Good game despite some of the poor choices VALVe made regarding it's launch.
  68. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 has everything you'd expect, and more. Specifying what "more" means is difficult to do without stepping on your enjoyment of the game, but let me put it simply - It's one of the most amazing experiences in gameplay and story. Ever. The humor is here, and there are surprising moments a plenty, and there's plenty of innovation in the gameplay mechanics. I'm not going to go onPortal 2 has everything you'd expect, and more. Specifying what "more" means is difficult to do without stepping on your enjoyment of the game, but let me put it simply - It's one of the most amazing experiences in gameplay and story. Ever. The humor is here, and there are surprising moments a plenty, and there's plenty of innovation in the gameplay mechanics. I'm not going to go on forever about how the core gameplay and whatnot is great, because the pre-launch hype covered it well enough with its teasers, etc.

However, I'd like to point out something very important: The claim of the game lasting four hours is FALSE. Your first run through should last you at least 6 hours, probably 7 or maybe 8 if you get stuck a couple of times and take your time exploring the scenes. And that's not counting the multiplayer. Oh, and don't forget how Valve are - as usual - very friendly to custom mappers, and once the SDK releases there surely will be lots of new custom content, if their past releases are anything to go by.

Some people have complained about the in-game store. This is completely ridiculous, as there is a simple way to fix it: Don't buy stuff! It's all cosmetic, and it's not like there's room to show off like in TF2, which further defeats the point of buying items at all. This means that, really, there should be no reason to be bothered by the store. In fact, you can choose to completely ignore it, thus there is no reason to include it in the overall evaluation of the game. Letting such a small problem ruin the game for you is foolish and childish.

One complaint I find very valid is the fact that the ARG helped very little in boosting the game's speed of launch. However, this has NOTHING to do with the quality of Portal 2 as a game.
  69. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game, little on the easy side but complete with all the things that made Portal 1 great. I don't know why so many people are complaining about the DLC. If you don't want to get it, don't.
  70. Apr 19, 2011
    Perfect comedic tone and oodles of atmosphere throughout. Wonderful voice acting across the board and superbly well designed puzzles. Valve have crafted a sublime sequel that improves upon its predecessor in every respect.
  71. Apr 19, 2011
    When first playing in single player I was a bit upset, the game while crisp and a sensual orgy for my eyes also seemed bland and not anywhere close to being worth $45, but then someone from my friends list invited me to play co-op. Now, I don't know this person, and don't remember ever even adding him but I joined him anyway. We spent the next 7 hours playing into the dawn. There's noWhen first playing in single player I was a bit upset, the game while crisp and a sensual orgy for my eyes also seemed bland and not anywhere close to being worth $45, but then someone from my friends list invited me to play co-op. Now, I don't know this person, and don't remember ever even adding him but I joined him anyway. We spent the next 7 hours playing into the dawn. There's no better feeling then going through co-op mode with a new friends, raging when spamming "LOOK" to your partner only yields blank stares and spastic jumps, laughing when you both realize that the hardest puzzle that you've been stuck on for the last hour had the simplest solution. I thought co-op was going to be the downside to this game, but it was actually it's saving grace. The game overall is...breath taking. The levels, the characters. Even though there's no real story you still feel a sort of connection to the robot friends., especially when that robot friend is an actual, new friend you just met. The DLC I have no problem with. Obnoxious paint schemes, silly hats, high-fives; all cosmetic so I don't care. Most items are achievable through playing the game and getting achievements which makes it a good incentive system. If people want to spend money on silly hats then I don't care, I take solace in knowing that these silly hat wearers are paying for my future free updates and maps. Expand
  72. Apr 19, 2011
    Good god what a bunch of trolls. Please do not take any notice of what they say. Refer :

For explanations why they are soooo wrong and are a bunch of lying c^&*s
  73. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is really great. The best single player I have played in years. The soo called dealbreaker DLC is just some stupid cosmetic stuff. Nothing that anyone needs to buy to enjoy the best game in long times! The humor, teh art direction and the music fit so perfectly together that it creates a really intense and enjoyable experience. And this game is not really 4 hours, more like 7...
  74. Apr 19, 2011
    I want to make this really clear, Portal 2 is amazing. I am disappointed with the number of people who have complained because A) they think the game is to short and B) they bought DLC obviously selling 'trivial' content and C) they believe the visuals are poor.

Before I discuss those two points I want to say why I think this is game is incredible, firstly it succeeds in being a great sequel, it's added loads of new gameplay mechanics to freshen up the puzzles and gameplay and hasn't tainted the original essence of its predecessor. The production values are astounding there are huge set pieces, stunning effects and some of the best voice acting i've ever heard in a game from the cast, particularly Stephen Merchant for his excellent performance as the babbling Wheatley and Ellen McLain returns scary as ever as everyones favourite AI baddy GLADOS.

Now to comment on the three main criticisms i've seen. The singleplayer took many hours for me to play (at least 7 hours) and I haven't even touched the cooperative mode either which is sure to take several hours as well. The day 1 dlc is quite obviously not meant to "extend play" and is instead meant for novelty, also you can buy all the dlc in a bundle for about a quarter of the price than if you bought each item separately (if you still bought it and feel cheated then your too stupid to be playing this game). Finally, while the source engine is indeed quite old, even on my moderately powered laptop the game certainly looked impressive (admittedly the framerate did falter during 'busy' segments of the game) and those of you with more powerful computers and the people who will buy the console versions will enjoy the game looking even better.

In conclusion, Portal 2 is a must buy this year, a certain contender for game of the year (if only Mass Effect 3 wasn't coming out this year), the game is smart, clever, well designed and a joy to play and I highly recommend picking it up but please if you haven't already please play the first game because it makes the experience that much better.

P.S. The ending is a great one, I can't believe some people didn't like it, It will leave you wanting more is all i'm going to say
  75. Apr 19, 2011
    This is one of the finest games valve has ever made. The negative reviews are useless, they're not complaining on the game itself, rather the dlc in the start, which for me went pretty darn fast. I just finished the story-mode and im impressed. Valve has put several new and different ways for this game to get ever so much engaging as the first one. You will not get screwed over for buyingThis is one of the finest games valve has ever made. The negative reviews are useless, they're not complaining on the game itself, rather the dlc in the start, which for me went pretty darn fast. I just finished the story-mode and im impressed. Valve has put several new and different ways for this game to get ever so much engaging as the first one. You will not get screwed over for buying this game. This is a hands down 10 from my part. Expand
  76. Apr 19, 2011
    Can't believe all the haters are being so ridiculous. No-one is making you buy the DLC!!! It's just optional extras. I'd be surprised if it wasn't actually a joke on their behalf about microtransactions in games.
    This is an amazing game and deserves much higher scores than the muppets here have given it.
  77. Apr 19, 2011
    Enjoyable as the previous Portal with sections of almost Bioshock like scenery/aura. Dark/sneaky humor still present as ever.

Co-op is a blast, no if and or buts.
  78. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game. Looks great, funny, longer than the first, and the "DLC" is purely cosmetic. Amazing launch, and not just another cookie-cutter game. Couldn't ask for more.
  79. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is far from a console port. The graphics on my PC are outstanding. The story is extremely well written and fresh. The puzzles are unique and fun. If you don't want cosmetic additions, don't buy them. They are not a detraction from the game.
  80. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply put: amazing, the people who bash this game are clearly ignorant of the definition of excellence. DLC is not mandatory and they have to tell you what you're buying, so to the people who bought it, there's no one to blame but you.
  81. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is extremely well polished, and it's all the little things that show off this fact. Ignore all the 4can morons who are trying to wage an immature campaign because they haven't got a new COD game in the last 3 months to waste their time on. This game is good and worth the money, but if 50 bucks isn't your thing wait a few months and I'm sure it will be a week end deal.
  82. Apr 19, 2011
    I can't understand why people are rating this so low. 4 hours of gameplay? It took me 6 hours, and theres co-op which is another 5 or so hours. Day one DLC? There isn't any, just some >>OPTIONAL
  83. Apr 19, 2011
    Greetings MetaCritic users.

I doubt most of you will read this message, or take it seriously given the current situation. Some of you might remember Dragon Age 2, and how it well it did with its "users" and the hilarious unfair scores they gave it. I came to you again today to tell you that the same thing is being perpetrated again with the videogame Portal 2. A website known as **** is
    Greetings MetaCritic users.

A website known as **** is launching a raid from its videogame image board against portal 2.
    They are fully aware all the DLC can be gained from simply playing the videogame, and they are fully aware the item cash shop plays absolutely no role in the videogames presentation, and gameplay.

Nothing was cut, or removed to be sold later.
    Everything in the item shop, I'll say once more. Can be earned playing the videogame.
    Simple as that.

What you are seeing here is nothing more then the manifestation of an anonymous image board that believes they are more powerful, well reasoned and knowledgeable than pretty much anyone else who's ever stepped within 30 feet of their personal computer.

Anyone knows their way around the internet is already well aware that the people who frequent ****'s /v/ videogames, contains some of the most foul mouthed, and unreasonable human beings to ever grace out planet.

So make no mistake when you visit metacritic, and you see good games like Dragon Age II, and Portal 2 being 0'd down into obscurity.
    They will say things like "Well its not right to give the game a perfect 10!! It doesn't deserve it!"

Guess what /v/ - Videogames, from ****. It doesn't deserve a 0 either, you unpleasable misinformed children. What you are doing is blatant, foul, not only are you attempting to damage the face of portal 2 and valve, but your attacks also are sometimes directly at Gabe Newell himself. Ordinary I wouldn't bat an eye last at a few customers who had a bad mishap with a videogame, and voted it down because of it.

However there is zero justification for this. It is simply nothing more than an organized attack on Valve, and Portal 2.
    ****'s /v/ - videogames almost got away with this with Dragon Age II, and even David Gaider himself called out **** for this, and they cried wolf, and claimed they had nothing to do with this, and that it was "the will of the people/customer" However this was never the case, and the same applies here.
    What you are seeing is nothing more than an organized assault on metacritics users, and the developers who aim to deliver us videogames. ****s children believe if they shout loud enough and make enough 10 minute emails, and spam here with 0's they will be able to down out the people who enjoyed this game, and make it look like this game is a total abomination.
    It simply is not.
    If you have ever been iffy about professional reviewers, today isn't the day to second guess.
    They weren't making this up when they said this game is fantastic.

This is nothing more than a childish, and bandwagon state of affairs that only shows the true face of what David Gaider and dragon age II were facing on metacritic. Now it is simply time for Valve, one of the most respected PC platform champions to face the the wrath of shouting children from ****'s /v/- videogames.

I hope you have taken the time to read this, and now realize that these user scores simply can no longer be taken seriously, as their innocents, and validity has been robbed from the users, and meta critic.

This is not only a sad day for gamers, but is the face of shame **** brings upon us when we realize we have to play online with these fools.

Thanks for your time.
    ~RealDeal7
  84. Apr 19, 2011
    If there was ever a time to ignore negative reviews this is it. This game is awesome by any definition. Yes there is some DLC available but it's all hats and such for multi player and you can unlock it by just by playing theres no need to buy any of it. It's also true that the single player campaign is a little short (well if you call 5-6 hours short) but there's an entirely separate co-opIf there was ever a time to ignore negative reviews this is it. This game is awesome by any definition. Yes there is some DLC available but it's all hats and such for multi player and you can unlock it by just by playing theres no need to buy any of it. It's also true that the single player campaign is a little short (well if you call 5-6 hours short) but there's an entirely separate co-op campaign that adds on another 4-5 hours at least. Visually it was very nice (it's not just the same old portal engine despite what anyone says). Anyway $45 i wont regret, i spent most of the time laughing my arse off. Expand
  85. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic Game. The Credit song met the Standard set by "Still Alive" and the gameplay was as expected. Interesting Puzzles. I think that negative reviews based on things other than gameplay and story (which was hilarious) should be disregarded by any prospective buyer.
  86. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is terrific. Very rewarding to play, the puzzles make you feel clever without giving away the whole barn. People who really loved the first game will certainly find this one easier to play through but still feels challenging none the less. The DLC is vanity only so don't think you are missing out on anything if you don't purchase it.
  87. Apr 19, 2011
    This is one of the best games i have ever played. if you are a fan of the original portal, it takes a while to get your head around, but other than that it is fantastic!
  88. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game and a great sequel for the original portal.Great graphics, great voice acting, great story, and great co-op. Total has over 30 hours of gameplay excluding co-op missions -replayability.
  89. Apr 19, 2011
    FACT: DLC doesn't mean purely cosmetic items such as skins. If you believe this, you're retarded.
    FACT: 9 hours, plus 5 hours doesn't equal a short game.
    FACT: You don't have to buy any COSMETIC items, they in no way affect the game.
    FACT: Acting like a self-entitled brat just makes all gamers look bad.

This is all coming from a guy who got a golden potato, but didn't get jack squat from Valve.
  90. Apr 19, 2011
    This game has far surpassed what I expected. They had a huge hurtle to jump over with creating a sequel to such a unique experience, but they did it. Bravo.
  91. Apr 19, 2011
  92. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing game. If you don't like the DLC, don't buy it. They are completely cosmetic and have no impact on the game otherwise. I'm glad VALVe gave us the option to skin our characters, but I choose not to spend my money on them. 10/10 easily.
  93. Apr 19, 2011
    Short, easy Valve game, that really shines when playing Co-oP!
    Absolutely love putting my team mate into bad situations and vice versa.
    GladOS potato head!!!
  94. Apr 19, 2011
    Great continuation of the story. The new items (gels, light beams, thermal discouragement beams, aerial faith plates) work so well with the already amazing game play.
  95. Apr 19, 2011
    There is some obvious hate spam going on in here, so ignore any review under a 5. Just completed the game, and its amazing from start to finish and I haven't even touched the co-op yet. Do yourself a favor, ignore the haters and pick up this awesome game.
  96. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing... Played through single player in roughly 8 hours (I go slow when exploring maps for the first time) and the co-op with a great friend of mine in about 5 hours. 10 hours for a great game? Anyone remember Uncharted? I'm not complaining. Can't wait to go through co-op again with the wife and kids.

So enjoyable, thanks Valve.
  97. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is almost perfect. At the beginning it sounded a bit slow and boring but then.. wow. Do not listen to all these negative reviews! 1) this is not a console port. the "pleas turn off your console" is a known bug. check steam forums for official response about this. 2) there's no "80$ DLC", it's just a bunch of skins, hats or gestures! There was no hype about this and the game isThis game is almost perfect. At the beginning it sounded a bit slow and boring but then.. wow. Do not listen to all these negative reviews! 1) this is not a console port. the "pleas turn off your console" is a known bug. check steam forums for official response about this. 2) there's no "80$ DLC", it's just a bunch of skins, hats or gestures! There was no hype about this and the game is perfect as well. 3) the game is definitely NOT 4 long. This is simply awesome Expand
  98. Apr 19, 2011
    By far the best game of 2011 so far from a developer that shows so much love to gamers, PC and otherwise. Sharp, brilliantly designed, and hilarious. Gaming's best villain, GLaDOS, is back in a big way.
  99. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent game. There is far more variety in puzzles than last time, and contrary to claims that it's 4 hours long, it lasted me about 7 hours. Intelligent writing and humor makes this an unforgettable experience.

The DLC that people negatively mentioned is a non-issue as all the DLC is cosmetic only.
  100. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 I feel was worth my money. there are too many loading screens but never longer than what it takes to sip my drink. never been a graphics snob but it is one of the most beautiful games on my PC and it surprisingly runs better than the original portal on my computer (some people have been complaining about the fact that things aren't photo-realistic to them I tell them FORMPortal 2 I feel was worth my money. there are too many loading screens but never longer than what it takes to sip my drink. never been a graphics snob but it is one of the most beautiful games on my PC and it surprisingly runs better than the original portal on my computer (some people have been complaining about the fact that things aren't photo-realistic to them I tell them FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION. the function of this is to be a puzzle game everything needs to be crisp and clear and it is they didn't waste my processing power with anything unnecessary. the best example is minecraft.) . The puzzles so far have been challenging off and on and i am around four hours in and am still getting new mechanics (yes I'm not done with the game yet its a weekday im busy). I enjoyed the original portal and this one hasn't disappointed. On the subject of Hats. Really people cant find anything better about the game to complain about than the fact that a company is trying to create a sustaining business by selling useless kniknaks to people who want to buy them. Here is a hint if you don't want to buy them DONT. Finally to all the omg its a console port people is there any way it damages the gameplay. It hasn't bothered gameplay on my crappy computer. To all the people complaining about a great game at least you bought the game maybe play it again when you are older and can appreciate it. Expand

1. Oct 20, 2011