8.7

1. Apr 20, 2011
    Here you have it. This game has a great chance of becoming the game of the year. The length of it isn't very impressive, but you know what I tend to say? Quality comes before quantity. And boy, if you knew the quality of this game.

First of all, the single-player can be finished in between five and ten hours, depending on how fast you go, if you stay to listen at the hilarious dialogue
    the game has, and how much of a genius you are. It doesn't have too much of replayability, but it's likely that you play it twice. I'm at my second playthrough as of now, and I'm still enjoying it.
    The second part of the game is my favourite one. The co-op. I have always said that co-op makes any game better, and that still stands. But what valve gave me exceeded my highest expectations. I couldn't go anywhere without my friend, I couldn't achieve anything at all. I needed him as much as he needed me. A lot, that is. I loved it.

With very loveable characters, a wonderful story and very original ideas, Valve once again shows us what they have to offer. And they only offer the best.
    So disregard the haters, and go buy the game. Because, you know what? Everything is fine here, Everything is more than fine.
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in quite some time. I was a huge fan of the original Portal and have played through the campaign at least ten times through. I just finished the single-player story today and I could not be happier. The atmosphere and environments are wonderfully done, and will run well on plenty of machines (the game's engine is wonderfully optimized). The new voice work by Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons, plus the return of Ellen McLaine as GLaDOS, is absolutely astounding and the dialogue is hilarious and entertaining. The story is full of unexpected (and quite enjoyable) twists and turns. Even if you have seen the end videos, you'll be completely thrown by the progression of the story at times. The promise of more thought-based puzzles and less "ninja-portal placement" is delivered for sure. And while I enjoyed it thoroughly, some people may miss the old "ninja portal" puzzles.

Co-op is wonderfully done as well. The ping tool is a marvelous tool that has infinite use, even when playing with microphone. The gesture system is fun and intuitive and hard not to play with. The story isn't as strong in co-op, but lots of funny dialogue remains. But this being coop, more focus is expected on the teamwork, and it's not to say story is neglected, just much less emphasized. That being said, the great atmospheres carry over, and co-op is tons of fun. For the Co-Op Bot Store, people need to realize that it's all cosmetic items. They're kinda pricey, yes, but it doesn't have any bearing on the gameplay at all, and many items are unlocked through achievements and gameplay itself. I only had a couple gripes with Portal 2, and they're minor at best:
    1) Loading screens galore in the test chamber levels. Perhaps they are the reason for the terrific engine performance, but I was taken aback by the number of load screens, even coming after very short sections.
    2) No "advanced map" section. I was really hoping to see the return of Challenge and Advanced maps like in Portal 1, as they offer a huge replay value. And although they are to be released in an upcoming DLC (which will be free), it was kind of a let down to see them missing from the games release.
    3) Some options, such as Portal Glow and Help Pop-ups aren't options accessible in the main menu, and must be accessed via the developers console.

All that in regards though, this is still a wonderfully made game, and is going to be a wildly entertaining experience for anyone who picks it up.
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    They aren't trolling.

This may be hard to believe, but they are actually people on /v/ and abroad the internet who believe what they're saying when they write 0 star reviews complaining about minor things like a store for optional, cosmetic, (in-game unlockable) skins and hats for robots. The opinions you're seeing here aren't a result of a "raid" but rather some legitimately deluded
    individuals who are allowing themselves to see only the negative parts of an otherwise nearly flawless game.

I'm not going to come here to praise the game, if you want that then just go read a professional review. I'm instead going to address the particular "issues" that these certain individuals have had, and give my own responses.

The biggest issue people seem to be having is with the so-called "DLC Store". This was something first seen in Team Fortress 2, where it stirred up nearly as much controversy.
    I'm not going to say I agree with it, because I don't. I will not be buying anything from there, and I would have preferred if Valve had not included it. This is part of the reason that I'm giving the game a 9 instead of a perfect 10. However, its inclusion did nothing to ruin my enjoyment of the game. Some people have said "The game immediately tries to suck you in to the store, and constantly reminds you of it". Well, I'm sorry, you must have played a different version than I did because I wasn't even -aware- of the Store's existence until I beat the game and poked around the menus. The store might be a big deal for me if it was selling, say, maps, or different game modes, or anything that would actually impact the gameplay. But that's not the case; in fact the store sells cosmetic hats and skins for your robots in co-op mode, all of which can be unlocked simply by playing the co-op mode in the first place. The store is only going to appeal to people with a large amount of disposable income, a group which I (and likely most people playing this) am not a part of, and therefore am not in the least bit concerned amount.

The next complaint I've heard about most, is that the game is too short. That's closer to a fair argument, the game costs a full $49.99 on PC, which while not the price for your yearly Call of Duty title, is still a pretty hefty fee. But consider that I played the singleplayer campaign at a normal pace (that is, I explored every room, listened to all the dialogue, and got stuck once or twice on certain puzzles) and it took me exactly 6 hours in one sitting to beat it. That's not too long, but by the end of it I was getting pretty tired with the puzzles, if the game had dragged on for another 6 hours I probably would have gotten sick of it. Quality over quantity, my friends. I'd prefer 6 hours of exceptional entertainment over 12+ hours of mediocre, repetitive puzzles.
    Then there's the co-op campaign, which I have yet to play I must admit. However, from what I've heard it takes about the same length of time, depending on how skilled you and/or your partner are. So in total you're getting about 12 hours of unique content. That's longer than Half-Life 2, and nobody called that a short game. In fact, I think 6 hours is about as long as Half-Life 2 was for me.

Finally, the last major complaint is about the ARG and people feeling like they were cheated with the "early release" Okay, I'll kind of agree with this one. I haven't been following the ARG myself, I leave that to the Internet Detectives who actually comprehend decoding radio signals and all that stuff. So, I can't really comment on the quality of that particular issue.
    As for the Potato Sack debacle and the not-so-early release, well.. I half agree. First of all, nobody forced anybody to buy those games. As well, a lot of people are complaining that "all that hard work we put into those games didn't pay off!".... You're joking, right? Have we fallen so far as a civilization that -PLAYING VIDEO GAMES- is considered work? Are you serious? I can't even begin to take that criticism serious.
    What I can relate to, is the disappointment over the release date. I'll agree, Valve made it seem as though playing those games would give us a much earlier release, more on the manner of days than hours. So I can understand people feeling cheated after paying for the games mostly for the result of getting Portal 2 out early, and yet not getting it in return, or at least not to the extent that they wanted. I'm willing to give Valve the benefit of the doubt, that they thought GLaDOS@Home would fill up quicker than she did, and actually wanted the game to release a few days earlier, but, still. A little disappointing.

In summary, just play the damn campaign. It's miles better than the original, which was a solid A+ game. You don't need me to tell you this.

To /v/ in particular, listen: I understand that we're still on the hate bandwagon after Dragon Age II, but I'd expect more from my comrades. You're making us look bad.
  4. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic game, all that I expected and more. Finished both singleplayer and multiplayer, and both were tons of fun. Only thing missing are some bonus/challenge maps like the first game.
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm glad to have purchased this game. Valve have stepped up to the challenge of making a follow-up to Portal, and have done exceptionally well. I got about 7 hours of play time our of my first run-through, and will be playing through again to pick up some achievements and find some easter-eggs that I may have missed on my first time through. As far as the DLC goes, I'm all for the DLC that doesn't affect my gameplay if I don't buy it. As I have a limited gaming budget, and can maybe buy three games a year, as opposed to the 4 or 5 a month some people seem to go through, I am firmly of the opinion that gameplay DLC should be free, or at least below my threshold of pain for entertainment purchases (about $5). As the current DLC store for Portal 2 is just cosmetic mods to player-characters, I have no problems with the way it's set up.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't see any of the advanced chambers from the promotional videos. I'll give it another playthrough and see if I just missed something.

All in all, well worth the $50 I spent on it. It'll satisfy my gaming itch for some time!
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    Although its not perfect, its the best game so far that has been released in the past 4 years (or ever?! :)). The improvements in the game are stand in good stead, but also are in case of necessity. Albeit I missed the generally aseptic and clean environmental mood this time, cause most of the levels were in the state of raunchy, due to catch up to the story's nature. Some of the new features are really interesting, and Im glad that Valve really did adopt some of the best ideas from the gamer ardent spirits, that have been counselled about the sequel in its forums, during the first games terms of office (Yess, I was a part of that :)!). But im still a bit confused about that they wanted at all hazard, to intensify all of the unique elements (like the cynic humour) of the predecessor with a bit too roughly style, and they sometimes slightly overshoot the mark a little. The another controvertible part was the barely outdated engine, although the graphics style fits to the game perfectly, ideas like this game is based on, relay deserve a bit more gloss, I would really like to see some improvement on the side of this from Valve in the near future! Oh, and yess Valve, we want the co-op to be expanded by new DLC maps too! Taking it all round, Portal 2 is one of the most outstanding, most extraordinary and intellectually challenging game I ever played with. For me its the must have category, just like its posterior will be (hopefully in a few years)! Expand
  7. Apr 21, 2011
    The reason there are so many negative reviews is probably because of the price of the game. Many people feel that given the short length of the game it should have been cheaper. Personally i think it's worth the price, it's as simple as that. If you think its worth it buy it but if u dont think its worth it then dont buy it. Expensive or not this is still a quality game which i can rank higher than $60 dollar games. Also this is not a $60 dollar game i dont know where people got that figure from. Someone had the nerve to say "Poor level design, the levels are broken" This is just someone who lacks the mental capacity to solve these puzzles. The game is fun, not once was i bored during single player and coop is a real laugh. Also dont believe people who say they completed it in 3 hours. I'm pretty sure thats impossible without cheats of some kind. If you can solve each puzzle right away (which is extremely difficult) the game will still take u at least 5 hours. Personally i think the length of the single player is 5-7 hours and coop 3-5 hours. Also all the moan about DLC which is basically a few gimmicky items u can equip ur coop character with is ridiculous. They are releasing a level design kit down the road so expect custom maps too. In the UK its £30 on Steam. I'd personally recommend it. Expand
  8. Apr 21, 2011
    One of the best Games i ever played nice and hard levels . Nice ideas with the gel etc. and The best COOP game i ever played in my whole life. GOOD WORK VALVE .waiting for Portal 3^^
  9. Apr 21, 2011
    Amazing game, best 40 euros spend on video games in a long time. The single player is simply amazing. People might argue about how short the game actually is, but if you like to explore and get the full portal 2 experience, the singleplayer alone might take you upto 8 hours, and then there is still the co-op to explore which is also a full campaign. Graphics are top and the story also ties in with the half life world! (Borealis hl2) Ofcourse people might be dissapointed if they followed the whole Potato ARG by valve and hoped that the game would release over the weekend, but giving this game a negative score is just overreacting. It's certainly one of the contestants for game of the year, and it doesnt deserve the bad scores like /v/ did earlier to dragon age 2. Expand
  10. Apr 21, 2011
    I absolutely loved this game. Everything from the graphics to the sarcastic humor of GlaDOS. No matter what the raging says, don't listen to them. This is a great game!
  11. Apr 21, 2011
    9/10 Great game, and well worth the wait.
    First off, everyone complaining that it isn't long enough needs to realize that people solve puzzles at different speeds. It seems like the average completion time for the single player is 5-7 hours and for co-op it is 2-3 hours. That makes the game about 7-10 hours long, which if you bought it for $40 for the 2 pack during pre-order, makes it
    well worth it. I can see why people who bought it for $50 might be kind of mad, but that is their problem for not splitting it with a friend. I'm also doing the dev commentary so that adds another chuck of play time.
    Regardless, the game is hilarious and looks beautiful. Didn't have any glitches or level design flaws so I don't know what other people are complaining about. The only thing that really makes me mad about the game is the dlc for co-op. All of those things should have come are rewards for achievements- not cost actual money. Really valve? Paying for gestures? I understand paying for new maps and campaigns, that makes perfect sense. But day 1 dlc makes me feel like it should be part of the game and that I'm getting ripped off. Plus only one other person at a time will see them so whats it matter anyway? This is why I'm docking off a point from a 10.
    Last thing is I miss the challenge maps, those add gameplay time and don't seem hard to make so I don't see why they weren't included. So I'm hoping this and REAL dlc gets added soon.
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    This is an amazing game. When I heard all these other reviewers complaining, I got scared that my pre-order went to waste. And boy, it didn't. This game is one of the best I've played in a while. The level design keeps you stumped at specific points due to puzzles that are actually difficult, not like lots of puzzle games where the difficulty in the puzzle is due to bad communication between the programmer and player. The dialogue, characters, and story is hilarious. There were points where I had to pause the game in order to control my laughter. I'd give this a ten, but there are large amounts of loading times which get annoying quickly. Overall, this game is outstanding. It's met ALL of my expectations for it. Expand
  13. Apr 21, 2011
    The whole experience of Portal 2 was unbelievable, and was gripping from the very start. There was also a huge difference in scale when put aside Portal: The rooms and areas are gigantic, there's a much more engaging story and generally, the game is much larger. Apart from this, the graphics are beautiful; unlike the white, sterile feel of the first, this features lush vegetation growing in the labs, other natural elements, and creates a very interesting environment. Even better, it has mod support, so I'm keen to see what is created from it. Of course, the game is short, and there isn't much to go back for. However, it is unbelievably difficult to write something that keeps the audience as engaged and mind-blown as I was throughout the whole thing, especially given that there's only one path to take, and it has to feel natural for the gamer. I also think the length of the game is small for a reason, I'll put it this way: No one wants to watch a 20 hour long film... Also, I wouldn't listen to most of these negative comments, especially the ones which complain about the unlockable items from the store. These really shouldn't bother you, it's your choice whether to purchase them or not, since they have no effect on the gameplay whatsoever. Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2011
    A stunning experience. Ingeniously planned and beautifully crafted, Portal 2 captivated me from the first minute. Even though the difficulty is only slightly above average in general, I sometimes scratched my head in puzzlement because I overlooked the easier and more obvious solutions for some levels. The voice acting is superb, the hidden easter eggs worth looking for and he storyline stringent and refreshing.

This is a 10/10 game in my book. BUT since Valve decided to become a complete money-whore with A) the ridiculous potato-sack ARG , B) the price tag of 50 **** Euros and most of all C) the shameless introduction of the absolutely retarded In-Game-Shop (I should pay for skins and animations? Are you **** kidding me Valve?), I will have to deduct at least 1 point, because only one of those points actually relates to the game itself, the other two just make me angry *wrrrrrrrr*

Nine points then.
  15. Apr 21, 2011
    This was a great game, and if you took the buy 2 deal steam had going on, it only cost you 40 bucks split between friends. Now it only took me 12 hours total to complete the coop and single player campaign, but i enjoyed every second of it. The humor was supered, the coop made for excellent game play between me and my friend. I do fault valve for the pointless store, and the exorbitant amount of money little trinkets on your robots cost.They should've follow the tf2 model, and had there be random drops for completing levels or something akin to that, along with the store. The coop campaign is far too short for that crap to really matter anyways. Hopefully they add more levels to it, because as it is now, i probably wont play the game again for a long while. Expand
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    I've been playing video games for a long time. They used to have this amazing spark for me, something that went off inside. First game that ever did this for me: The Legend of Zelda. But, nowadays, not only do I know how games work, being an Indie Game Developer and all, but people so often cannot capture that same feeling I used to get from the Zelda franchise (which also might explain why I love Puzzle games so much). But, I just played Portal 2, and I felt that same spark I did so many years ago. It was almost nostalgic for me, but at the same time so new as well. It was absolutely like no game I have ever played, save for the original Portal, of course. But it was also so much better than the original as well. Actually, as soon as I had beaten Portal, I knew that if they ever released a sequel, that I would buy it, without a doubt. I would do the same if they ever released a Portal 3 as well. To start off, I'll tell you about the Multiplayer. It's mostly a really good experience, but only if you play it with a friend, and not a stranger. You play as two robots, Atlas, a shorter bot who's body looks like that of one of GLaDOS' cores, and P-body who's favors one of the turrets. Each player has their own set of Portals. Red and Orange, Blue (or purple, to me) and Light-blue. I only have a couple of gripes about it. One is that sometimes, I really don't want to do a gesture (gestures can be performed at anytime throughout co-op and some involve both players), and it can get vaguely annoying when my team-mate continuously performs them and I get forced into high-fives and such. But, that usually isn't too much of a problem. Throughout Co-operative play GLaDOS guides you once more, constantly noting on how horrible (and fat) humans are, among other well written and flavorful bits of dialogue. The puzzles themselves are quite nice, and get progressively more difficult, but never too difficult. Something that is even better in Co-op than in Single Player is the "AH-ha!" moment. (This is the moment of sudden realization when you've been working on a puzzle for a while) The reason this moment is heightened in multiplayer is that you get to experience it with a friend, and that's when the gestures are really the most fun to perform, in the excitement of having solved a puzzle. Also, my only other thing I didn't like about Co-op is that it was so terribly short. Only about 2-4 hours of game-play. I understand Valve's reasoning behind this, just testing the waters to see how Co-op would go over with the fans. I, personally say that, if Valve makes a Portal 3, Co-op campaign should definitely be just as long as Single Player. I'd like to point out at this time, if it wasn't apparent already, that Multiplayer Campaign and Single Player Campaign are totally separate in their story. Now, I'll carry on with the review of the Single Player.

Ah, Single Player. Truly the most amazing thing I've ever seen developed by Valve (And they've put out some pretty amazing games) and possibly one of the most amazing games I've ever seen. One the most amazing puzzle games I've ever played. First, you start off in your "suspension" room and are awakened for your "exercise" which consists of you looking up and down. Then, in an unspecified amount of time in the future, what seems to be many, many years later, you're awakened by the bot created to attend the humans in suspension, Wheatley. You're in a decrepit old Aperture that's obviously been out of commission for a long time. You make your way through the first few old test chambers from the original Portal. Your friendly - yet slightly moronic - companion leads you on up to GLaDOS' lair, in which a very terrible mishap transpires. As you traverse through the game, all of the characters are well written and unique, the puzzles intriguing, innovative, and fresh. The characters all have their own quirks that keep the game comedic to the perfect amount. The game doesn't drag things out or leave them too shortly. It builds upon ideas it puts in your head earlier on in the game to build on the puzzle solving aspects, and the story always keeps you wanting more. There are several jaw-dropping plot twists as well. All in all, one of the best games I have EVER played, and I suggest it to anybody who enjoys video games and good, well written comedy.

As a final note, I'd like to say that, even though the game was longer than the original, and I'm thankful for that, I still wish it had been just a little bit longer. And, that I think there should be a Portal 3, without a doubt. The only reason I put a 9 and not a 10 is because of the length of the game.
  17. Apr 21, 2011
    Great game; loved the single player story and am just starting multiplayer. As usual, another great game from Valve. I would have given it a 10 if the single player were a bit longer, but I'm not really sure how long the game could go on for without getting repetitive, or introducing too many elements. Perhaps it could be a little cheaper (like $30 maybe) to compensate for this. But this is a review of how good of a game this is, not if it's pricing is appropriate. Overall, another great game from Valve. P.S. I don't see what the big deal is about there being hats available on the first day to purchase - I could see what people were complaining about if it was extra levels or something (though I still wouldn't agree), but it's purely cosmetic - you can still play the entire game without even noticing a difference without a hat. As another aside, it doesn't feel at all like a console port - no idea what people are talking about in reference to that. Expand
  18. Apr 21, 2011
    Most immersive best experience you will ever have playing a game.Im speaking for all crowds. Great Co-op, single player mode is hilarious, intuitive and solid. Recommended for everyone! Everyone likes cake right??

P.S. Trollers be trollin. DO NOT listen to the negative reviews of this game. If there is any exception of dismissing bad reviews for a game, now is the best time. If you dont
    want the DLC dont **** buy it. Does it really matter if this is mixed with the console port? Its still the same great game. 0 doesnt count as a legit review just because you decided you wanted to buy the potato sack (which was optional). Quit whining and enjoy what could be the best game of the year. Expand
  19. Apr 22, 2011
    I think the users more critical than the critics. This game simple awesome. Funy, enjoyable, require some logic (if you play the firs time) but for me that's the best for in this game (not just "go over there and kill 10 marine"). This game get a lot of voite in here (over 1000 ...how many games have that many like this so fast after the release date?) and this is that game what win aganinst the CS:S and HL2 (The most waited and most played FPS game ever in Steam). Expand
  20. Apr 22, 2011
    Amazing soundtrack & Ambience tracks. Amazing and really personal gameplay. Amazing co-op mode with it's own campaign. Did i already say this game is amazing? Definetely Valves best game at the moment! Oh and a few words about the store. The items are all only cosmetic and, and in no way affect the gameplay. They're also 100% Optional. I'd understand all the whining about them if they were maps, or weapons..

And about the lenght of the game.. Singleplayer took me about 7 ½ hours with no breaks, multiplayer about 5. Steam said it only took me 6 to do both, so it's obviously not working. Oh, back on topic. This game is AMAZING and i feel like every penny that i paid for this was worth it!

A M A Z I N G.
  21. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a terrific game and a great example of how to do a sequel right.

Just finished the game last night, clocked in at roughly 10 hours of gameplay. That's shorter than I'd like, but it seems to be about average for a game these days. And I haven't even touched the co-op yet... So I'm thinking I got my money's worth.

Of course the gameplay is based on puzzles, and the amount of
    time it takes you to finish will vary quite a bit depending on how quickly you solve those puzzles. I found the puzzles to be rather easy for the first half of the game... Didn't really get stumped until I wound up in the old laboratories playing with the various gels. So it's entirely possible you'll get more (or less) gameplay out of it.

The puzzle difficulty was pretty much spot-on for me. Far less of the twitchy puzzles that required lighting reflexes and good aim to drop a portal right where you needed it while sailing through the air. Less puzzles that required quick thinking under tight time constraints. More puzzles that allowed you to examine a situation and figure out the best solution on your own timetable. The puzzles were generally challenging. Generally required some thought. But weren't so frustrating that I wanted to rip my hair out. And, once they'd been solved, the solutions always made perfect sense.

The graphics are a terrific improvement over the first game. Not just in pure graphic quality, but in the way they're used. The upper reaches of Aperture Laboratories take on a personality of their own... The shifting panels become an extension of GLaDOS, and convey her emotions as you work your way through the test chambers. The contrast between the decaying test chambers in the beginning, then the well-maintained test chambers, then the abandoned chambers below, and finally the malfunctioning chambers at the end... It conveys a real sense of character. As if the facility itself is another character in the game. You can feel how Aperture Science has changed and grown over the years.

Of course you've got your ASHPD, and the portals it creates. And they still work the way you'd expect them to. But Portal 2 adds a few new twists to the old formula...

You've got "aerial faith plates" which act as catapults and launch you across the room... A new kind of block that allows you to re-direct the thermal discouragement beams... Repulsion gel, that works kind of like flubber and causes you to bounce high into the air... Propulsion gel speeds you up as you run across it... Conversion gel turns any surface into a portal-able surface... Excursion funnels, which act as a tunnel or conveyor belt... Light bridges, that do exactly what it says on the tin...

And all of these new toys are combined with your portals, to create some truly mind-bending puzzles and solutions.

Along the way you'll learn more about GLaDOS, and Aperture Science... You'll meet Wheatley, and hear from Cave Johnson himself. You get a peek behind the curtain, and get a good look at just what makes all these test chambers work the way they do. And, of course, you get insulted at just about every step of the way. The same dark humor that made the original Portal so much fun is back again.

There was an ARG that led up to the release of Portal 2... Some folks are counting that against Portal 2 in their reviews... I think that's a little silly. Give it a few months or years and nobody is even going to remember there was an ARG at all. What'll linger - what we paid good money for - is the Portal 2 game itself.

There is a cash DLC store in Portal 2, and it was there on launch day. In other games this might have annoyed me... If I pay $60 for a new game, I expect pretty much everything to be there on the disc. I don't want to go home and find out there's another mission or quest available if I spend another $5 here or $10 there. However, the DLC is all purely cosmetic stuff - hats and skins and gestures for the co-op. None of it actually adds to or changes the gameplay. So I'm not too worried about the DLC this time around.

All things considered, Portal 2 is at least as good as the original - if not better. Definitely an entertaining way to waste a few hours. Certainly worth the money I paid for it.
  22. Apr 22, 2011
    Its sad to know that probably that the game of the year already came out. Portal 2 is simply so far ahead in terms of originality, game design, story writing, characterization and level design than almost every other videogame out there that I am starting to think that it might be not worth my times to play games that are not made by Valve.
  23. Apr 22, 2011
    The hype surrounding Portal 2 has been large with the Augmented reality game that Valve launched receiving mixed reviews. However Portal 2 does not disappoint.

I am hailing Portal 2 as an almost perfect game. Lets cover the one tiny bad part about this game in my view...lack of replayability and even that is grasping at straws to find what is wrong with this great game.
    There has also
    been controversy surrounding the "Robot Enrichment" mode in which you can buy skins for your multiplayer co op robots to distinguish yourself even further away from others. Yes it costs to get these items but you unlock some items during play and if you wish to make yourself very different from most people online you should have to expect to pay a premium.

The story of Portal 2 is very solid very reminiscent of the first while expanding upon the narrative and not getting stale. Throughout the game you do visit different parts of Aperture Science that were constructed during different eras from the 1950's onwards until the modern test chambers that GLaDOS herself put you through. This offers a very pleasing aesthetic with the game mixing things up and keeping things fresh.

The voice acting is solid with many new characters introduced to superb effect which further enriches the comedy that the game delivers with great timing and with great effect.

You will be surprised in which directions the story goes. Without giving too much away you shouldn't be disappointed in the least. Naturally I have to give it a fair score and thus I have giving it a 9 because although it is very close to being perfect, itâ
  24. Apr 22, 2011
    The first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funny ending music, once again made by Jonathan Coulton.The single player experience is a little bit short, something about six hours to finish, but the game has a coop experience, that makes the game even more funny and longer.Probably the best game of this year. Expand
  25. Apr 22, 2011
    While I am a hard-core portal fan, I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Also, I believe I managed to leave out any potential spoilers. I started playing Portal 2 with extremely high expectations, and these expectations were exceeded. Valve really revived the meaning of a "sequel." Portal 2 is not just Portal with a fresh coat of paint; it is an immersing experience with a spot-on storyline that ties remarkably well into the original. I also have yet to experience any kind of bug of glitch, which is rare these days for games on launch days (*cough* Treyarch). GLaDOS' dialogue is better than ever - she retains her witty satire, while at the same time introduces an underlying cold tone to her speech. One thing I disliked about the first game was the monotonous sequence of one test chamber after another. Portal 2 is full of surprises and allows the gamer to become much more involved and wonder what will happen next. The introduction of new testing elements (e.g. repulsion/speed gel) adds a new dimension to progressing through some of the chambers. However, I did only get "stuck" in the campaign a few times, and after a little bit of thinking I always managed to figure out what to do. While this may be due to my decent past portal experience, or my aptitude for puzzle solving, it is of my opinion that the game may have been designed to be too catered to inexperienced players. Often it was too obvious how to solve the puzzles, and while the actual solutions may have yielded a feeling of success or intelligence, it was clear that figuring out the solution was not that complicated. For example, on many occasions I found out the correct portal placements just because there was no other place to put a portal. Also, while I really enjoyed the ending of the game, I was disappointed with the final encounter. It was too simple and in my opinion did not take advantage of the new elements of the game effectively. Addressing the length of the game briefly, I completed the game in roughly 7 hours. Keep in mind that this was a casual pace. While claims of beating the game in 4-6 hours may be true, I can assure you that if you progress at a leisurely pace and enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played, you will get a solid 7-9 hours out of the campaign. Despite my complaints, I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign of Portal 2. The co-op mode is a particularly interesting component, especially because I predict that more will be coming for it through DLC. Valve setup the co-op very well, including aiding tools such as countdown timers and portal markers, as well as including many hilarious comments from GLaDOS. There appears to be a greater range of difficulty here as well, and while I have not yet completed all of the co-op levels, things are beginning to get tricky. Still, my co-op partner and I feel that the chambers have been a bit on the easy side. We have only played co-op for about 2 hours (max) and yet only have one more chapter to go. However, it has been loads of fun and a great teamwork experience. Also, I have yet to play with a random person in co-op, but I imagine that this would be an interesting experience on its own; I don't know what it would be like to play with someone who is incompetent! But who knows, this could just make it more interesting and force the more experienced player into a leading role. I imagine (and am desperately hoping!) that DLC with arrive in the future. It seems like too much of an opportunity for Valve to pass up. I also predict map editing tools to allow for custom map building. For now though, we can only wait and see.

So those are just my thoughts on the game. I really struggled giving this game less than a 10, but unfortunately I just felt that the advanced Portal'ers were slightly shunned. Nevertheless, the game is well worth the $45 I spent on it, and have no regrets at all.
  26. Apr 22, 2011
    Not to sound too obvious here, but I think Valve improved on this game in almost every single area but two. The game is longer (though just by a bit), There are more physics elements to play with, The black humor is pretty funny, and most importantly, the character development is great. They really made GLaDOS come alive during her time as a [______], and her subsequent few minutes post-Wheatley. I thought the boss battle had a quirky, creative ending which made good use of chekhov's gun, and that the opera was a great touch. Now for the negatives:
    Unfortunately, Co-op seems to be too easy and too short. They could use more elaborate maps for co-op. Also, the credit reel song just isn't up to par with the original's song which we all know and love.
  27. Apr 23, 2011
    Valve just can't fail. Awesome gameplay, atmosphere, humor... It makes the first one boring. I bet the arrival of excellents mods. Coop not tested yet, but the concept promises a lot of fun. I don't understand the negative reviews, even if i'm a fanboy of Valve work. They even promoted the independant games in a marketing operation for Portal 2 release (The Potato Sack) and that must be applauded. Future DLCs ? Free. Valve never made a PC gamer pay for content (other than decoration). Too bad for consoles.

This game is a delicious and moist cake, but it's certainly not a lie.
  28. Apr 23, 2011
    A beautifully crafted and unforgettable experience. Portal 2 is a masterpiece; you are plunged into an entirely engrossing world, with characters that engage you from the start. The level design, game mechanic, voice acting, animation and unique game-world are all perfectly polished to a blinding sheen. You'll be lucky to find characters that are anywhere near as interesting and well designed, or a setting as singularly unique and well crafted in any hollywood movie this year, let alone a game. The only way in which this game fails to meet expectations is that the puzzles never soar to the brain-crunchingly intricate design of Portal 1's end-game. Throughout the game we are introduced to a wide variety of mechanics that never quite come together in the complexity that one would hope.

Some mention should be made of the mob-mentality negative reviews you'll find here on metacritic. The ARG for this game promised an early launch if people downloaded some independent games on steam. They are all great games, so not only have people contributed to small indie developers success, but they have also received a bundle of excellent critically acclaimed games at a massive discount. And Portal 2 was released early. This was not enough for some people - they wanted Portal 2 even earlier, and their bitterness and rage has caused a wave of negativity on the user reviews, users citing Portal 2 as too short and boring. They clearly haven't played it. Portal 2, when played for speed and skipping as much content as possible could probably be completed in 6 hours. 8-10 is more probable, for a normal play-through, and we're not even counting the standalone co-op campaign here. No, these accusations are fueled by a combination of rage, idiocy and a lack of understanding that the steam play-timer is wildly inaccurate.

What are you doing reading user reviews anyway? Read the critic reviews for an untainted review-pool, and go play the game now!
  29. Apr 23, 2011
    This is a wonderful title - cleverly written with great humor, solid mechanics that expand and evolve slowly, and a great length that provides satisfaction without overstaying its welcome. And some wonderful co-op gameplay that's been some of my most enjoyable in recent memory.

The negative reviews are all due to people being unnecessarily upset about the DLC, which a) can be obtained by
    completing in-game achievements, and b) is all cosmetic. You DO get ALL of the content that's important with the purchase price of the game. If you want your little robot to look different in a co-op campaign then by all means purchase a different paint scheme or top hat, or just unlock the achievements for it. But there's no need to bash this title for doing something as innocuous as adding unimportant and non-functional DLC.

Portal 2 is a great title, and one of the best games of this current generation. And the ending is completely brilliant - well done to everyone at Valve for providing such a satisfying conclusion and toying with the mood so perfectly. Don't miss out on enjoying this gem!
  30. Apr 23, 2011
    The level design of Portal 2 is what should be Portal 1.
    Source iv very well exploited and the story just is epic, we take pleasure to solve the tests and we're very happy to end one when we were ten minutes on.
    Portal is today a great name of the world of videogame.
  31. Apr 23, 2011
    Full of witty and imaginative writing and dialogue. It's been a pleasure start to finish.

Stephen Merchant's lines as Wheatly, the droid you meet are quality, but Valve should have applied some effects to his voice. He sounds too human.
  32. Apr 23, 2011
    Extremely entertaining game. It's fun from start to finish. The voice acting is as good as it gets, and it's laugh out loud funny. It's longer than the first game, but still not a really long game for just the single player. The puzzles are also not incredibly difficult. Some games are longer. Some games are harder. Yet you will have a tough time finding a game more enjoyable than Portal 2. Expand
  33. Apr 23, 2011
    Le genre de jeu qu'on a du mal a quitter une fois terminé..
    Quelle ambiance envoutante,seul jusqu'à présent les Bioshock m'avaient laissé cette impression.
    Une vraie réussite,et tout ça sans un alien,zombie,ou autres ennemies a tuer.Bravo
  34. Apr 23, 2011
    First Metacritic post here, even though I'm usually not a fan of Metacritic. On the contrary, I actually don't approve of the impact that numerous overly dramatic users can have on a game's success. But for Portal 2, I feel my voice must be heard to balance out the madness. This is an absolutely outstanding game. True, sensible, and non-dramatic fans of Portal will find much to enjoy here. Valve has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. They introduced several new concepts to puzzle chamber solving. The inclusion of the three types of gels, laser beams, light bridges, catapults, tunnels contribute a kind of variety to what is at its core a very simple game. The story is terrific. There are a precious few games and game developers that can actually pull my heartstrings, and the Portal franchise and Valve fit the bill. If I could identify one fault with this game, it would be that there is a little too much tutorial. Portal PC players know that to pick up something or open a door, one must press E. I would have preferred that the developers included an option to turn off the tutorials. Perhaps there will be a patch. But it is such a small gripe. Small enough to make me wish that Metacritic allowed users to include decimal values in their ratings. If it did, I would rate this game a 9.7. Well done, Valve. I greatly appreciate your hard work on this remarkable achievement, and this probably goes without saying, but I hope you guys are ignoring all the drama queens on this website who are panning your game for no good reason at all. GREAT JOB. Expand
  35. Apr 23, 2011
    This game is pretty fun. It doesn't play like a port. If it is indeed a console port, Valve has done a good job porting it. But I dont think it is. Have not tried coop yet but singleplayer alone seems worth it
  36. Apr 23, 2011
    Good sequel to Portal. Yes is shorter than some games but its longer than Portal 1 and has co-op for more time to play it.
    Padding this for minimum characters.
  37. Apr 23, 2011
    Well, I partly created Metacritic account just to make sure this game's score is bumped up because people who have scored this game anything but lower than 7 are idiots! They have no legit reason. In reality I'd say this game is somewhere between 8.5-9.5. I wouldn't say 10 though.

First and foremost, the game took 10 hours for me to complete. I am not a puzzle genius and I kind of
    looked for secrets etc. So lets say my ponderings and my secret hunting took another 2-3 hours, you should at least get 7 hours of gameplay easy on the single player. I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet! That is like 3 times the time I got out of Portal 1!!! And anything longer would truly drag this game out. That is the thing. Portal titles, by nature, cannot be very long. Unless the formula has been changed.

Secoondly, I loved the humour, I loved the graphics style, I love the characters and animations, I loved the writing, I loved the ending...I also loved the atmosphere...
    However, in the back of my mind I kept comparing to the first game and at some point the pacing slows down. The new mechanics aren't necessarily given enough gameplay time which makes you a bit craving for more...that and the loading screens (though lasted very short) were a bit of immersion breaker. Valve never used to take people out of the game before, I was surprised to see them.

I don't have a latest system and I played the game at the highest settings of it all with no hitches. Though Source engine doesn't compare to some big names like Crytek, it still looks goddamn good! I'd say performance over potential looks!

Overall, it is a worthy purchase unless you are a person who really can't stand puzzle games and need something to shoot/kill because you will be required to use your brain and won't have any face to face opponents to kill.
  38. Apr 24, 2011
    I enjoyed this game very much. It didn't take long to finish, but the time spent was quality time. It's funny. It looks good. It makes you think. I really wanted to find out what was going to happen in the end (and the end was amazing). My only criticism is in regard to the replay value. I'd imagine that if you want to be challenged again after beating the game, then you'll have to give yourself time to forget the solutions to the puzzles before replaying it. I could see, however, someone playing through it again just for the sheer spectacle and narrative. Great, great game. Expand
  39. Apr 24, 2011
    Story comes to the forefront a bit more in this than the previous Portals. The puzzles aren't all that difficult but they are challenging and keep the story moving. Hopefully now that they've moved the story on they can release some good challenging DLC. Not sure what all the hate is there for, this is an excellent product by a great studio. A must play for any gamer in 2011.
  40. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best games out there. Not just for Valve/Portal fans, but anyone who likes puzzles games and witty dialogue will enjoy it. I really haven't found a valid complaint about it. The characters are great and, while the first few levels are a little slow story-wise, it eventually picks up pace. And that's not to say those levels are bad, still fun puzzles and interesting remarks from GLaDOS. The game is fairly short, some say only 4 hours but most I know finish in 6 to 8, but after that you still have co-op, which if you haven't tried, you really need to. A lot of teamwork, but it's a ton of fun and you still have GLaDOS with her sarcastic remarks. Yes, the did have the Potato Sack, but even if you didn't like that it doesn't affect the actual game. Oh, no, DLC. All it is though is aesthetics for your co-op bot. It doesn't make Valve evil to try and make some money, and really it's great that it doesn't do anything to the actual gameplay. Expand
  41. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is just awesome! It's a bit overpriced for what it offers, but it's just awesome. You never get bored of playing it. Maybe a bit bored over Single Player but never bored of Co-Op since you always play with different people and there's always something different. Again, awesome game!!!
  42. Apr 24, 2011
    9/10, why? Let me break it down for you. +10 for being the most enjoyable gaming experience of my entire life, and that includes the amazing co-op feature which is completely out of this world, and -1 for being Steam only, because Steam is a HUGE pain in the back-side. I bought my copy 2 days after release and still had to download 800 megabytes of updates before the Steam application would let me play a game which I paid for with my own money, and on my slow North Welsh internet connection it took about 3 hours of pure downloading, rendering the internet useless for everyone else on my network. Expand
  43. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 was pitch perfect in terms of dialog, characters, narrative, and pacing. Everything about this game was extremely satisfying. Even the Co-op, which I was worried was tacked on as fan service, was a splendid mind-bending experience. Also I think a special hats off to the character animators who were able to emote so much with the limited robotic designs of Wheatley and GLaDOS.
    My
    only complaints were the constant loading screens between puzzles. I'm not sure if it's a limit of the aging Source engine (which aesthetically looks great) or a conscious design decision, but it was mildly annoying. I am also a little disturbed by the online store for robot gestures. I'm not so much bothered that it exists in this game, because it's completely inconsequential, but I worry that Valve will get caught in a slippery slope of microtransactions and that it could be bad news for future games. Expand
  44. Apr 25, 2011
    I've finished the game few minutes ago. What to say? Epic. Just epic. Valve had done an incredible work. One of the most amazing games out there. Fantastic plot and funny dialogues, deep and humorous characters. Game play is perfect and Co op is a funny and challenging addiction. And I didn't understand all that people that say Portal 2 is short. For me a 15 hours game is more than acceptable, considering how great it is throughout the story. Congratulations Valve! Expand
  45. Apr 25, 2011
    What is with all the haters? 4 hour playthroughs? with breaks? total BS. You can probably run through it in 5 hours if you know exactly what to do in each chamber before you get there, trust me I've played it 3 times (1 ps3, 1 ps3 dev comm, 1 pc) now and each time I find new secrets and hidden rooms. And then there's coop which I've completed twice (1 ps3, 1 PC) (3 hours if you know it all). coop is amazingly fun especially when you are split screen (weird I know) but this type of multiplayer lends itself to split screen, communication is easier. i love being able to go from watching netflix to playing with my steam friends without having to get up and turn on my computer and sit at a desk. Of course if graphics are a problem for you then gtfo, i don't care how bad a game looks, which isn't at all the case here (people get confused with art styles, esp when the pallet consists of colors other than browns and grays), is it fun to play? yes, ok then shut up and play it. as for DLC the day 1 stuff is just to pimp out your bots, valve will most likely release new test chambers/courses and if their motto on "True" DLC stands there will be a sticker price of $0. I loved the continuation of the story, and the bungling moronic sphere that is wheatley. The one thing this game needs is a custom chamber creator and a way to share these creations. Oh and while not as amazing as "Still Alive" the new song is so cool. Valve cant wait for your next game, don't forget the map editor in portal 3 ;) Expand
  46. Apr 25, 2011
    If you enjoyed the first Portal game, there is no way you cannot love this one. If you never played the first Portal game, welcome to a virtual roller coaster ride. To start with the bad: it has a few weird console things like pre-rendered cutscenes, which are not as good as the way Valve normally does things, and looks like crap when running at resolutions over 720p. That and taking me 3.7 hours to finish single player on my first run-through (granted, I've played the first game so many times, I really never got stuck on a puzzle).

Looking past those few issues, the single player story: incredible. Most games you have maybe a 10-20 hour storyline, but only about 20-30% is pure fun. In Portal 2, the entire playtime is fun. Taking a look at Co-op play, it is flawlessly executed, and while none of the puzzles were overly challenging, they definitely were not easy. They were balanced basically perfectly for new players and old players alike.

Very highly recommended game. Not sure why people keep voting it so low (honestly people, it was a marketing campaign that let you into the game several hours earlier than previously mentioned, how is that a bad thing? Also, the DLC doesn't modify your game experience, it's purely cosmetic, so why are you complaining?) I wish I could give the game a 9.5 as a user, as it is almost perfect, but has enough flaws to be kept away from a perfect 10 experience.
  47. Apr 25, 2011
    I haven't finished the game, actually I'm on part when Cave Johnson's voice leads you. Portal is more more awesome than I expected. Great story with great characters. First Portal I finished many many times and I wanted more! Then Valve released radio achievement and I was sure that Portal 2 comes soon. I bought it month before premiere and I was very angry when courier came to my house and nobody heard intercom and I have to wait one long day for second delivery. In my opinion Portal 2 is same epic as first Portal. It have great graphic and awesome soundtrack. Expand
  48. Apr 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, this was a great game. The graphics were beautiful, the dialogue was hilarious, the story was intriguing, and the new gameplay additions (e.g. the new gels) were fun and interesting. The reason why I gave this a 9 (but I'd rather give it an 8.5) instead of a 10 is because I really didn't like some of the levels deep in the bowels of Aperture Science after Wheatley sent Chell and GLaDOS all the way down. I would have preferred to have some of the levels that we saw in the trailers, but instead we received several parts where we basically just had to use the zoom feature to find a portal-friendly wall half a mile away. So for a couple parts of the game, I feel like we were thinking a lot less with portals and instead just looking around for a white wall. It was also a bit on the shorter side considering the hype and all the delays. But this is just me nit-picking at an otherwise fantastic game. Expand
  49. Apr 26, 2011
    Truly an excellent with just a few flaws. Lets just start with the positives. This game completely captures the esscence of Portal while improving it immensely. In all truth, no matter how good it was, the originally portal was really just a tech demo (a very good one at that). Portal 2 adds more sustainability by not adding a ton of new features but just improving everything. The story suddenly is completely fleshed out and you get lots of backstory about GLaDOS and Aperture Science. The new game mechanics (not to be spoiled here) are great and trigger mental activity in ways games aren't supposed to. The new coop mode just adds onto that. It's amazing how much depth can be added on just through an additional 2 portals. My only problem with this game is it's length. Although I personally am not too into the artificial re-playability with objects like collectibles, Portal 2 literally offers no chance for any re-playability. The point of a puzzle game is to get you to think. Portal 2 does that, but after you solve the puzzle once then you will know how to solve it again, maybe even faster. There's very little point to playing the game again. Extending off this the game was also extremely short (I finished in under 5 hours). That's not me bragging, I usually finish games in around 20-40 hours, I'm just a little slow, but for me those 5 hours, while enjoyable, were just much too short. Playing through coop took me a little longer but it still only extended it to 13 hours or so. Either way the game cut a little short.

Overall, the game truly is amazing. It will give you one of the best experiences for the short time you'll be playing it until you beat it and then never touch it again.
  50. Apr 27, 2011
    Best Valve game to date. The story and puzzles never fail to boggle the mind. Shows how a little title packaged with a few other games can claim it's own title of Game of the Year 2011. My pick of the year so far.
  51. Apr 28, 2011
    What is with all the negativity? I mean I know it features quite a short story but that really is no reason to give it such low marks, It was an astonishingly immense experience. The voice acting was great and the comedy was non stop hilarity. You can flame on about fan boys all you want but the real reason this deserves a 9 is because it was better than the 1st game and by a long shot, I have played through co-op multiple times and enjoy it every single play through. It's one of those games you get the most out of and you feel like you must hang onto it, then you find yourself picking it up again and enjoying the feeling once more that you don't know the puzzle solution because you've forgot. Expand
  52. Apr 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I loved Portal. It is easily one of my favourite games. So the time waiting for Portal 2 seemed like an endless pain.
    When I first played Portal 2, I was blown away. I love the new mechanics such as the Hard Light Bridge or the different Gels. They make the game more complicated, and that's what I wanted from Portal 2.
    I have one problem: The game doesn't feel like the original Portal did, but much rather like Half-Life with a Portal Gun. Portal had those small rooms, where you never knew what's going to be behind the next corner. Portal 2 does pretty much the opposite: Huge spaces in most of the levels. And those huge spaces take away the feeling of Portal.
    The game is probably the funniest game I've ever played. Portal was already funny with Glados, but Portal 2 pitches in two more Characters, Wheatly, the "biggest Moron ever built", and Cave Johnson (he "owns the place"). The game makes you feel attached to those Characters very fast and actually draws very accurate picture of all of them, even if you never actually see some of them.
    The ending was pretty good, too. I was anticipating a Song like "Still Alive", Portal 2 had the Song "Want you gone". A pretty good song, too, but it isn't quite as good as "Still Alive".
    So in the end, I could say that Portal 2 is a really good game, but who searches for the feeling of the original game wont find it in this game. The game should've been named: "Half-Life: Portal" or something like that. I still recommend playing the game to everyone, because it is an awesome game.
  53. May 1, 2011
    Very fun game, I found puzzles, characters and narration to be interesting. I'm giving it 9 stars due to me not wanting to replay the game, as I already know the solutions to puzzles.
  54. May 3, 2011
    Portal 2, the sequel to the wonderful Portal, has everything that Portal has, except that feeling of mock gravitas. While the game is interesting in its own right, it largely fails to go back to its roots of Portal, and feels like it tries a bit too hard to add depth where depth was never needed. However, the depth is appreciated, albeit attached like an odd appendage, and so doesn't detract from the game's storyline.

The game play is wonderful, and the addition of other environmental elements (not listed for spoiler reasons), including the 'original' (predating those used in Portal, but now available) test elements, enhances the game play so much that it is almost possible to overlook the failed attempt at gravitas.
  55. May 4, 2011
    I played this game over at my friends place , since i was skeptical of the 40â
  56. May 5, 2011
    An essential addition to any gamer's collection. I found the game highly enjoyable in all aspects (sound, graphics, story, play) but one: my partner-in-crime and I could've finished the vast majority of co-op mode without the other if it weren't for the fact that we needed the other to step on a button or two. However, this didn't really detract from our overall enjoyment of both play modes, and the 25 hours I've logged so far are just the beginning. Expand
  57. May 5, 2011
    What an amazing game, truly this is another masterpiece coming from Valve. A true sequel, though not as surprisingly delicious as the first Portal, but that's because expectations where WAY high. It's not easy to compete when a game is being compared to the original portal, but even with that in mind Valve did a great job creating this sequel. Fans will not be disappointed. The lack of challenges will be fixed soon with a FREE-for-all-consoles (yes, including xBox) update. I love you Valve! Expand
  58. Jul 6, 2011
    Put it this way... I absolutely hate all puzzle games. I hate them with a passion that burns like your granny's cystitis. I'd rather pull your teeth out then use them to pull my teeth out than play one.... apart from Portal 2. Okay, so it's replayability is precisely zero, but good lord, is it good on the first run or what? The style is amazing, it gets the brain going without making you want to put your head through a hole in the wall you'd previously made with the head of the game designer, and the compulsion to continue to the next test is likely to cause some seriously bleary eyes at work. Fair enough, if you really can't stomach the idea of a fairly slow moving game that involves more grey cells than it requires to left click then type "lol nub pwnt" (or words to that effect) then avoid this like it's Fukushima Daiichi, but if you want a really unique (excludes the original Portal... obviously), absorbing, and just downright cool game, buy this. 9/10... only due to lack of replayability, the rest is beyond criticism. Expand
  59. May 9, 2011
    Enjoyed the atmosphere and settings of the game and puzzles were really satisfying. Just finished a single player and final boss was very very easy puzzle compared to some other puzzles of the game. It's quite long game as for fps puzzle and well worth the money spend.
  60. May 10, 2011
    This game... wow. Pretty darn good. It's hard to formulate an actual description why it's so good. The only thing I can really do point out the few tiny flaws about Portal 2.

My biggest problem is the amount of loading screens, especially in the first half of the game. In Portal 1 you would play through 2 to 3 puzzles before the game would have to load up the next level. Portal 2 is more
    detailed than the first but the environments still look small enough that them could have fit them together into one level instead of splitting them up with loading screens. All the loading screens kind of hinder rush you might get by completing in rapid secession and kind of break the emission. I can understand this in CO-OP because you want to be able to select a particular puzzle you want to go back and play with your partner, but with single player there's no real need for the amount of loading screens that were present.

The second problem I found was, not to say I didn't get stuck anywhere but, over all looking back at the game I found it to be fairly easy compared to the first game. In Portal 1 there would be a complete wall of where you were able to place portals where in Portal 2 there seemed to be less wall space you are able to shoot a portal onto. This kind of give the player less options of to where to put a portal. Limiting this allowed the player to place portals in the correct places almost for you, thus solving each puzzle faster.

Another thing that made the game easier is that there aren't any puzzles that require the player to preform quick "twitchy" movements or actions. This means that the puzzles are more about figuring them out then actually preforming the actions to solve them. This isn't a bad thing but some players, including myself, miss the "twitch" gameplay element in this title.

Also I found the game to be a tiny bit short for a full 50-60 dollar game. It took me about seven hours to complete single player and about six to beat CO-OP. As a shooter this is a bit longer then your average Call of Duty or Battlefield but as a puzzle/adventure game it seems kind of short. This is really true with CO-OP since there's really no re-playability what so ever. This is shockingly short if you compare this to other Valves other first-person shooter games like Half-Life 2 which took some players 20 hours to beat! With that said Valve is planning on releasing more content for the game in the near future, FOR FREE, including the "challenge chambers."

The covers the bad things. To some people would be annoyed with these problems, but they can be overlooked with the sheer quality of the game and fantastic writing and voice acting. The one thing that really got me was the single players ending. OH, MY, GOD. AMAZING! If this was another game they wouldn't have been able to get away with this, but because this is Portal it totally works and ****, is ever so amazing! It has to be the best ending to a game I've ever seen, ever.
  61. May 11, 2011
    Portal 3? perhaps our hero will run into Morgan Freeman in her visit to the outside world, She could get him past locked doors, he can save her from those nasty head humpers. OK maybe not, but Portal 2 single player COULD have been more challenging, but overall is was very entertaining, and the multi player is hilariously fun, although i think my friend mashed me in the first door a few TOO many times, but that's OK I got him back with a ninja portal to the abyss. Expand
  62. May 11, 2011
    Massive Gameplay with new complexity due to the new elements but less difficulty!
    The Story and the Dialogues hide the lack of difficulty and length well.

The Coop-Mode is the biggest innovation in the Sequel but, again, it is too short! I loved every millisecond of this Game
  63. May 13, 2011
    I wish I could rate this a number between 8 and 9 like 8.5/

I first want to say that this is a game I thoroughly enjoyed, the first in quite a long time. Portal 2 is definitely one of the highest quality Valve productions I have experienced in a while, and it shows. The environments are rich, and lively. I found myself staring in awe at many maps trying to contemplate how many hours of
    work must have went into it. The scripted physics events were incredible, and I was impressed at how life like they were whether it be metal walkways being crushed or walls crumbling apart. This game rocks in terms of visuals! Which is quite a statement coming from me, someone who thinks the source engine is past due to be replaced.

Although still solid, I wasn't entirely pleased with the pacing of the game. The great thing about portal is that it seamlessly combined the storyline with puzzle elements of the game into one fluid experience. While portal 2 has some of this, it's also very different. The game is clearly broken up into "story segments" and "puzzle segments." I didn't really like this, and felt It somewhat detracts from the puzzle experience. In this format puzzles almost started to feel tedious. I'd finish a clearly identifiable story segment (which is marked by almost no puzzles) then enter a puzzle segment in the mindset of "okay... Time to grind more puzzles until I can get to the next exciting story part!" Despite my issues with the pacing, the characters, story, and environments did make up for it.

One issue people have been complaining about is gameplay length. I just can't relate, perhaps I'm just a slow problem solver. The singleplayer campaign took me 6.9 hours, and the coop campaign around 5. Which comes out to roughly 12 hours total. This doesn't include replaying the game in commentary mode, gunning for achievements, or searching for hidden easter eggs which has tacked on an additional 7 hours or so for me personally. In general I was satisfied with my purchase of portal 2, and I look forward to my children having the opportunity to play HL2 episode 3 since it will never be released in my lifetime.
  64. May 14, 2011
    I'm not going to judge Portal 2 based on the Potato Sack, I'm not going to judge it based on how it compares to Half-Life 2, I'm not going to judge it on its optional day 1 DLC, I'm going to judge it solely as a video game. And as a video game, it's virtually perfect. It's a great puzzle game, with a steady difficulty curve, wonderfully developed characters, some sparkling moments of humor, and (perhaps most importantly for the internet) features several obviously memetic elements.
    The single player takes between six and ten hours, depending on how well-versed you are in the mechanics of Portal. It's divided into three separate acts, each with new game mechanics that make for new experiences and puzzle methods throughout. Portal was a stellar game, that consisted almost solely of solving mind-bending puzzles while a disembodied voice spouts humorous, quotable saying in your ear. This is also the central mechanic of Portal 2, but with less mind-numbing and more humorous, quotable sayings. The game's three acts can be easily identified by which voice is talking to you: Act 1 brings the return of Portal 1's joyously mad AI GLaDOS, Act 2 brings J.K. Simmons as more cconventionally mad CEO Cave Johnson, and Act 3 has Stephen Merchant (that guy from The Office) as Wheatley, the power-mad, cheeky personality core. The ending is amazing, and the story retains Half-Life's vague, almost mean sense of withholding something.
    The co-op campaign is more true to the original Portal, with only sparse comments from GLaDOS in the way of lines, and the puzzles being brain-breakingly difficult even for 2 people. The ending is also nicely noncommital in the way of story, as I have come to expect from Valve.
    Overall, one of the main negatives with the game has appeared to be the loading screens. I agree-what happened to Half-Life's simple, non-intrusive "LOADING" bubble? I don't want big Aperture Science logos plastered onto the screen; I'm saving those for the inevitable dearth of Portal 2 t-shirts.
  65. May 15, 2011
    Best game of 2011! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! Best!
  66. Aug 24, 2011
    A great game which expands wonderfully on all the originals elements whilst adding some new ones of its own. On top of the fun the main game elements supply, there is also a good deal genuinely humorous dialogue to keeps things interesting which brings me to its main downside - the game does get somewhat repetitive about three quarters of the way through. It is, after all, one puzzle after the next. Still a great though but not a GOTY contender imho. Expand
  67. May 18, 2011
    Portal 2 is a well-designed sequel to 2007's Portal. It exceeds the original game by pitting you against trickier tests with many ways to solve each one. It's a satisfying ride with puzzles that could leave you scratching your head for minutes on end. Valve has really out-done themselves with this one. The only downside is the myriad of loading screens.
  68. May 22, 2011
    Valve delivers again with a game that is both witty in its mechanics as it is in its story and dialogue. Portal 1 was a flawless albeit short experience that shows that new ideas can be merged with old preconceptions. Always innovating, Portal 2 is an excellent puzzle challenge that will keep you amused for about 8 hours. It also has a nice co-op campaign that furthers the gameplay a lot more.
    It holds your hand a little bit, and some puzzles require more trial and error than thought & skill, but overall it is a very solid game.
  69. May 16, 2012
    Game is brilliant. You have to think, you have deep climate and smart humour. Playing Portal 2 I had some minor irritations (a brief feeling of being forced into prolonged series of tests, generally against the plot, just to make game-play longer), but I instantly forget them just when the outstandingly high level of humour appeared again and again and again... :D Sentenced like "Bit bigger than I expected. Not going to be able to just, you know, push it over. Have to apply some cleverness" or "I'm in space" are just unforgettable :D And the ending... OH. MY. GOD. :D

Cant wait for Portal 3!
  70. May 23, 2011
    An amazing game with epic visual scope. Short and sweet like a juicy morning quickie. Only 9 because I want a whole lot more. Didn't see the twist coming until the very end.
  71. May 25, 2011
    I love this game! With its amazing singleplayer, funny co-op, amazing gameplay and awesome story, it is one of the best games ever! The biggest problem with it is that the co-op isn't that replayible, but that is ok as long as it is awesome
  72. May 25, 2011
    Good Game. Needs harder Levels and maybe a four player game play... But Value did a good job of making new items and improvements on the game and underlying physics. I do like their Level maker because anyone can make a level easily.
  73. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you loved Portal, you're gonna love this one even more. It has all of aspects of the first game and even more. So Portal 2 starts (about) where the first game ended, Chell being dragged back inside the Aperture Science Enrichment Center. Singleplayer Campaign takes about 6 to 7 hours to play through and it is one of the best singleplayer campaigns ever...permanently. And then there's the Co-op Mode where you solve puzzles with your best buddy. I cannot even imagine what players will come up when the Authoring Tools for this are released. Totally recommended, on of the best. Expand
  74. May 26, 2011
    Great game! Really! I finished it on Tuesday.
    It has only one drawback: I do not want to play it a second time.
    Why? I do not know ... Do not engage me emotionally.
  75. May 26, 2011
    I have never played the original portals so I was new to the whole concept. However I still found the puzzles to be pretty easy until the end. The story is interesting and humorous from start to finish. The graphics is good, for a puzzle game, I mean if the environment is overly complicated it can be too distracting to the puzzle itself. Imagine if you had to find some button in a field of grass or something but that's not the case here, every piece of the puzzle is obvious except for the solution. Overall this game is fun and entertaining. Well worth the money. Expand
  76. Jun 2, 2011
    This game is amazing. The dialogue in the game is hilarious, the puzzles are well designed (almost making it too easy to see the solution sometimes), and co-op is an awesome addition. The only negative thing I can say is that I felt the game was holding my hand sometimes by having special tiles designating where you would need to place portals to solve the puzzle. Overall, this game is worth your money, and if you do buy it, play it with friends! The co-op in the game is really awesome. Expand
  77. Jun 3, 2011
    Valve does it again, really nice game, quite nice story that continues and yet tells back story of apparature, Not a 10 from me because it as short imo, and needs quite more easter eggs.. (cmon Valve make us think hard! ) but a solid 9.5 non the less
  78. Nov 23, 2011
    As perfect as it gets for a FPP (First Person PortalGun). The only flaw this has is that it isn't long enough. The Co-op playing is very good but also too short. It's beautifully design and rendered, brilliant level designs and has an excellent story with some top notch dialogue and voice-overs especially by Stephen Merchant and the great J.K. Simmons. Amazing stuff.
  79. Jun 10, 2011
    Portal 2 is a great sequel to the original game. Sure, it does it all over again: shoot a portal, solve the puzzle, move on... but it does it creatively and manages to surprise and make you lough.
    Not matter how much time you will spend playing, it will be time well spent.

Great game.
  80. Apr 26, 2012
    One of the best games i've played and the best Valve game ever. The soundtrack and history is amazing and Gameplay is revolucionary. Congratulations, Valve! You make one of the best games ever
  81. Aug 27, 2011
    Portal 2 is just flat out fun. The single player is short (about 6-7 hours worth of play time) and isn't as challenging as Portal but it's much more creative and a joy to play. Co-op is incredibly fun and really is the best part about the game.

The only flaws that I can find (and it's a nit pick anyway) are that like the first it is decidedly linear (but the environments are much more
    open and you don't feel as cramped) and that some of the solutions to the scripted events feel a little overly convenient.

This is a top notch title that's simply fun to play.
  82. Jun 17, 2011
    A beautiful game. I have enjoyed 15hrs of gameplay - singleplayer and co-op a few times with various people. I gave it 9 because they took out time trials D: and some more abstract mind bending puzzles would be nice.

Props to valve for so quickly releasing the authoring too. Bring on the DLC!
  83. Jun 17, 2011
    Great game. Took me ten hours. Some of the puzzles actually ... uhh... puzzled me?Unfortunately, as with all puzzle games, no replay value at all. Didn't get old for me at all, I found it fun all the way through tenth hour. I can't wait to play the co-op part of the game. That should be fun. But i agree that the game is good to rent for a weekend and play co-op but not worth fifty bucks. GLADOS and Wheatly were... ummm... interesting. Their humor was the kind that you can smile at but not any LOL material there. Needs a level editor where you can make your own puzzles and post them online for others to solve. THAT would make the game worth a lot more than 50 bucks for me. And a question to valve, "Where is HL2EP3??" (that last question did not affect my rating) Expand
  84. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the best games made on a source engine. Better than first part, but have in mind that first Portal wasn't and standalone title, just small ad-don to Orange Box. This one could be more challengeable, but I know kids on consoles have problem with playing games that makes a challenge. ~8h of playing worth cash I spent on it.
  85. Jun 23, 2011
    The most fun game I ever played.Ð
  86. Jun 23, 2011
    Portal is very very good game and Portal 2? Excellent, you must play it. It's very very good game (and sometimes hard :-) Buy it now, i know what am i saying. Simply good-est game from Valve i ever seen before. My score is 10/10.
  87. Jun 23, 2011
    Portal 2 follows in the same vein as the first with a slow start progressing into more difficult puzzles with some high-paced portions strewn throughout. The puzzles range from cake (is a lie) to "let's take a step back and think" but I was disappointed they were not more timing-based offerings. The story was predictable, but incredibly well-written and witty; The characters love-able and at times, downright hilarious. I really enjoyed the single-player mode and then you find out there's more to do in the co-op mode. 9/10 Expand
  88. Jun 23, 2011
    The new mechanics introduced in Portal 2 really give it a new angle on puzzles, where sometimes you nearly facepalm after figuring out how simple the puzzle you've been staring at for half an hour really are. Character development of supporting cast is well done, The humor is still there despite the lack of a good meme (near as I can tell). I have not yet done the multiplayer (holding that so a buddy can get achievement) but this is one of the most entertaining games I've played in a long time. The notable downside is the low replay value, unless you space it out long enough to forget all the solutions and forget the humor. I'd still say this game is totally worth buying, low replay value is the only reason I'm scoring it below a 10. Expand
  89. Jun 27, 2011
    This game was just pure genius. The design, the character development, it was all done beautifully. I question why this game doesn't have at LEAST a score of 96. It was different from the first game in some ways, but I liked that. Using the exact same atmosphere of the first game would've just felt like more of an unoriginal repeat. Anyone reading this that enjoys Valve games but hasn't yet played Portal 2... I beg you, buy this game, you will grin from ear to ear till it hurts.

And even then, you'll just keep grinning anyway.
  90. Feb 19, 2013
    I'm speechless. Speechless. Amazing game. Portal 1 was short, but Valve took that issue to heart and made Portal 2 5x longer. Made it funnier too. Just buy this game without thinking. I wanted to give it a 10, but I had to knock off 1 point because the game has an ending.
  91. Jul 17, 2011
    This game is simply awesome, with the high quality level that Valve always puts on its games. This is a second part, so you MUST have played Portal before trying Portal 2. If you don't, then you'll miss a lot of plot related stuff and obviously the experience will be disappointing. The gameplay is more dynamic than in Portal. It is not a test room after test room journey until reaching the final boss. This time a lot of sudden events will drive you through huge scenarios where you'll have to use the Portal gun to make your way through. Moreover, the portal gun has to be combined with new elements to solve the puzzles. Graphics do their job. Physics related sequences (walls and structures falling apart) look pretty good. Music uses some weird effects to make it easily identified with robots. Sometimes it is a little annoying (specially if you play with headphones). It is a short game (around 6 hours), but you can't make a puzzle based game much longer without boring the player. In exchange, everything is incredibly polished in a nearly obsessive way. In my opinion, one of the best games of this year, but it is mandatory to be a Portal fan in order to properly enjoy it. Don't buy it if it is your first Portal game! Expand
  92. Jul 9, 2011
    The story is absolutely great, and the game play equally as good. The only thing that let me down in this game is that a lot of the "puzzles" weren't really puzzles, just annoying tasks that detracted from the game. The co-op is amazing, the most fun I've had in a game in a very long time. Giving the robots character in the co-op added greatly to the experience, making it one to remember. All up, this is a great game with an awesome story (not to mention all the great humor in it), only being flawed by the some of the puzzles later on in the game being more annoying than anything else. Expand
  93. Jul 12, 2011
    The only reason this game does not get a 10 is because it has no replay value. As far as difficulty goes, the multiplayer is much harder than the single player and the difficulty of the single player is about on par with Portal. I love the new mechanics, especially the light bridges, and they are used very creatively throughout the game. The art and presentation are amazing as well. Overall a great game that was worth what it cost me. Expand
  94. Jul 13, 2011
    This is a great game. Single-player is simply just awsome because if you played portal 1 you see level that you played.Co-op mode is also on great thing. You can play with you're friends and you also can equip so hats, suits, etc. I really appreciated the Gameplay because it not as easy as portal 1 was. I played portal one and It took me around two hours to complete the game. Portal 2 took me around 6 hours. I recommend this game to everyone. 10 out of 10. Expand
  95. Jul 20, 2011
    An intriguing sequel to Valve's great experiment, Portal, surpassed the original both graphically and via storytelling. I personally hate games with near linear action, but Portal 2 is something I completed a few times in a row without being bored with.

What I like: the expansion on events and back-story of the original Portal, the unlikely plot twists (for someone that didn't watch
    spoilers, of course). And, of course, puzzle solving. All done in nearly perfect visual and sonic experience: the look of the game, dialogs, music and sound effects make this a really enjoyable game with large amount of sarcastic humor but also with a pinch of heartwarming gimmicks. After that, I'm still having a though time disabling a sentry turret even though I know it's only purpose in the game is to pack me with bullets.

And, of course, there's that nice "that was IT?" feel after completing chambers and game chapters, which are reasonably paced and the difficulty level of them increases without making you frustrated about not knowing/finding the solution but rather leaving you curious about what is that something you've missed. There's also a fair amount of fast paced "action" sequences that require your quick thinking but without being extremely difficult though. As in original portal, there's inclusion of achievements - actions you need to perform in-game, some are pretty difficult, the other are funny, several you are given automatically after completing parts of the game.

The absolute novelty is a very tight cooperation mode which requires interaction of two players. Word of advice: to spare yourself awkwardness, better train with somebody you know, because trying to find your game partner online may result with too much of a difference in experience between both of you - frustrating both ways.

What I don't like: there's very little not to like, actually. There is some awkwardness in cooperative game such as controlling player gestures or communication, also you have to know that the game can and WILL use your microphone, which may result in awkward situations, unless you switch it to "push to talk" mode first - which I don't think is the default.
  96. Jul 26, 2011
    I was a little worried at first at what would become from the sequel of Portal, for most sequels these days seem to be rushed and not done well. However, I found portal 2 to be an enjoyable experience. The main plot was great, the gameplay and the puzzles were easy at first, but during the game they became more and more difficult, which I liked. The typical valve humor and the easter eggs were also very attractive. After I did the singleplayer, I went to co-op, which was terrific too. I am very sure that, if it will be made, Portal 3 will be a success too. Great work Valve, for making another great game! Expand
  97. Aug 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really liked this game. The controls are spot-on, Wheatley is hilarious, and GLaDOS is back and eviler than ever (in the first quarter of the game). Portal starts you off by awakening from cryogenic sleep and meeting Wheatley, an Intelligence Dampening Sphere (as referred to by GLaDOS) that is voiced by Stephen Merchant, who is remarkably funny. As Wheatley takes over Aperture Science, the puzzles tend to get more challenging. The end is spectacular, and left me satisfied. The co-op campaign is also remarkable, straying from the storytelling of the single-player campaign and going for a more entertaining approach. The only thing Portal is missing is the magic and awe of the first game. In the end, Portal 2 is an amazing game and leaves a lasting impression. Expand
  98. Sep 10, 2011
    A great game that was funny and well made, the only 2 flaws are there are no extra hard challenges and after you compete the single player an multi player, there is no reason for you to keep playing.
  99. Sep 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is not Portal; to assume that the sequel should be simply more of the original would overlook its brilliant aspects which make the game shine. First off, the puzzles aren't as mind-boggling, simply because the original game was entirely about portals and portals alone, and that forced the player to get creative. That being said, Portal 2's puzzles are more diverse and varied, and carry important aspects of the game's story. Even if they don't have quite the same "WHOA" factor as the original Portal's puzzles, they're still incredibly fun, and are more central to the plot driving the game. That leads me to the best thing about Portal 2: its story. The story is intriguing, intricate, well-told, and incredibly funny. I actually really enjoyed the dark humor and eerie subtext surrounding the original Portal, but unfortunately, that wasn't a huge focus. This is not the case with Portal 2. The characters are fantastic! Wheatley has, in my mind, set a new bar for the fluidity a voice actor can achieve. All in all, this game is absolutely worth the purchase, whether or not you liked/played the original game. I gave it a 9 rather than a 10 because the "in-between chambers" sections were rather linear and lacked the same creativity of the actual test chambers, but since those comprised a minor part of the game, it's not a huge deal. Expand
  100. Oct 3, 2011
    Well seeing as there are already plenty of review on this game i'll be short and quick. This game is fantastic. The puzzles are hair pullers and when you figure them out you make yourself feel like your the dumbest person on the planet. Glados is back with her sarcastic and black humor. Wheatley is a great addition too, Stephen Merchant does a fantastic job on voice work. Though for me the character that shined was Cave Johnson's voice over. I was laughing so hard nearly every time a work came out his mouth. My only problem, is that there is really no replay value when finished. A puzzle is only good once. 9/10 Expand

1. Oct 20, 2011