Portal 2 PC

9.0

1. Apr 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is not the best game I've played in the last few years. And there are a number of small issues that I have with it. I'm not a huge fan of the ARG experience that led into it. However, a lot of the work went into this game really succeeded. Solid atmosphere. Great moments. Challenging at times. I have no regrets picking it up. Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    I'm writing this review purely to offset the uncalled for bashing against this game.
    Not to spoil the experience for those enjoying the game right now, let me tell you, you won't be disappointed. It's a shame to see people getting so upset over an optional DLC which adds little other than non-essential cosmetic changes. These reviews are exaggerated to say the least! If you enjoyed Portal 1 then you will most definitely enjoy Portal 2.
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    Thought it was fun. Co-Op was really fun too. Haven't beat the game yet but really enjoying the game so far. :D

Only problem really was the "robot enrichment"... hats ruined TF2, hope hats don't ruin portal 2 :)
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is excellent indeed, if you enjoyed the first Portal then you must enjoy this sequel, it has more thinking with portals and more features than ever before. However I took away a mark for this game, as I finished it without rushing in approximately 2 hours and 34 minutes playing time, this does not include the co-op part of the game or any possible advanced chambers, just theThis game is excellent indeed, if you enjoyed the first Portal then you must enjoy this sequel, it has more thinking with portals and more features than ever before. However I took away a mark for this game, as I finished it without rushing in approximately 2 hours and 34 minutes playing time, this does not include the co-op part of the game or any possible advanced chambers, just the singleplayer. The co-op feature is excellent and will also take you several more hours of gameplay and fun. The graphics are beautiful, no need for them to be improved as they do the best job possible and the game performs perfectly on the PC thanks to the great source engine.

This is a must buy for most gamers out there.
  5. May 4, 2011
    Brilliant game, Valve once again have shown why they are such a game-making powerhouse. The game is based on an already tested idea in half-life series and first portal, with only necessary tweaks done to vary the gameplay. So, basically we have the more the same but better. The strongest point of Portal two is definitely its narration and story presented. GLADOS and Whetley banter,Brilliant game, Valve once again have shown why they are such a game-making powerhouse. The game is based on an already tested idea in half-life series and first portal, with only necessary tweaks done to vary the gameplay. So, basically we have the more the same but better. The strongest point of Portal two is definitely its narration and story presented. GLADOS and Whetley banter, hilarious black-humorous Announcer, an addition of retro Cave Jonhson character...here lies the true power of Valve, because playing is well...as said before, Portal with tweaks. In reality, the only low points of the game and the reason why some of hot headed reviewers gave game bad reviews, are not-so-long playing time. Nothing of big concern, the story is quite long, wraps itself nice and you feel only a little regret that it is over, but not, for example, an anger that you played while eating dinner and it was suddenly over. The second lowdown are simple ,as for part two of already developed idea, puzzles. On a commentary track authors actually admitted that it was intentional not make game too hard. With the first game, it wouldn't be a problem, but with a second release, there must be expectations to have some more sophisticated challenges. Saying as saying, those two arenâ Expand
  6. May 11, 2011
    If it was an option then this game would easily be getting a 9.5, because it is a brilliant mix of comedy, and ingenuity. The beginning is yourr first taste of what to come, and it starts off on a high note and gets you laughing at the comedy that has made many fans of this game series. But when you reach the puzzles is whenthe game really shows of its capabilities as a puzzle game. TheIf it was an option then this game would easily be getting a 9.5, because it is a brilliant mix of comedy, and ingenuity. The beginning is yourr first taste of what to come, and it starts off on a high note and gets you laughing at the comedy that has made many fans of this game series. But when you reach the puzzles is whenthe game really shows of its capabilities as a puzzle game. The puzzles are interesting, but never beyond your ability, and they truly do help you start "thinking with portals." Sadly, however, puzzles and comedy are not the only parts to this game. As you progress you see longer transitions between puzzles that try to be puzzles themselves but are really just a test of your observational abilities as you search for a far off wall that allows for portals. Another point is that after every puzzle there is a loading screen. This made sense for portal 1 because it was forced beside 4 other games in the orange box, but portal 2makes these loadings seem unexplainable. Luckly, the loads are in a spot that seem natural and do not affect gameplay. This review was only for singleplayer. Multiplayer looks to be more of the same but you are more limited trying to find a friend who has not played it before you lest you lose the ability to figure out the puzzles yourself, but I am satisfied with the single experience alone, so it is worth reviewing alone, though I cannot wait to try coop puzzles. Expand
  7. Apr 22, 2011
    1) If you liked Portal, you will LOVE portal 2

2) Story: there is one! characters are great and hilarious and there are some golden moments but it's not exactly a driving force in the game and leaves a few questions unanswered 3) graphics: Any computer with a graphics card can run it which is nice but it definitely lacks a hardcore graphical punch. Everywhere looks the same and uses the
    1) If you liked Portal, you will LOVE portal 2

3) graphics: Any computer with a graphics card can run it which is nice but it definitely lacks a hardcore graphical punch. Everywhere looks the same and uses the same recycled colors

4) Humor: it's not only golden but it's omnipresent. Cave Johnson's lemon speech is absolutely unforgettable

5) length: My friend and I both took about 15 hours total to beat both the singleplayer and co op campaigns. To those who beat it in 4 hours, you didn't have any fun because you used a guide book to beat a game who's only satisfaction is solving the damn puzzles and if you looped all the audio in the character's jokes in the game together it would probably run longer than 4 hours so good job not having any fun and **** about it as if you'll get your money back

6) Game: puzzle complexity is far greater and far more satisfying to solve with addition of so many extra mechanics, but because the game introduces them all to you before beating your brain to a pulp with them, it's slow starting.

7) replayability? lol. none

What makes Portal 2 worth? 15 hours worth of cracked ribs as a result of laughter and some of the best puzzle solving experience you'll get in digital form. Just make sure you have a co op buddy and a mic before playing this game, playing co op with a stranger or someone whose already beaten will kill the satisfaction from puzzle solving and not having a mic just leads to frustration. If you have all this and a yearn for puzzle solving and good humor, Portal 2 is for you. The only thing it lacks is replayability.
  8. Feb 16, 2012
    Portal 2 get's everything that made portal incredible, and builds upon it. Characters, the puzzles themselves, length, depth, and even originality of design. A lot of other game series do this successfully as well, however when a game based off an entirely original concept does it. It deserves even more praise. Masterpiece.
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    If I could give a 9.5 I would. Portal 2 is a perfect blend of awesome story telling and puzzles without bombarding you with walls of text or codexes that you're expected to read and without making any puzzle too difficult. In many situations you feel like you cheat the system and find a way to complete a section that wasn't exactly the expected way the developers foresaw which in it ofIf I could give a 9.5 I would. Portal 2 is a perfect blend of awesome story telling and puzzles without bombarding you with walls of text or codexes that you're expected to read and without making any puzzle too difficult. In many situations you feel like you cheat the system and find a way to complete a section that wasn't exactly the expected way the developers foresaw which in it of itself is a great feeling. A fantastic ride the whole way though. The only nitpick I have is that it was too short! Expand
  10. Apr 22, 2011
    The game is great from pretty much every point of view, and compared to the 1st Portal it has a much better length, especially if we include the co-op mode as well. The only problem is that despite it being longer than the 1st Portal it still left me wanting more.

Hopefully that will be compensated with user maps and DLC. Mean wile 9/10.
  11. Apr 22, 2011
    OH NO DAY 1 DLC... oh wait, it's only cosmetics and I don't have to buy them to get the full gaming experience. That being said, Portal 2 is great. Not Portal 1 great, but still damn near perfect. My biggest issue is that Portal 1 worked so well because it was short. I was really scared Portal 2 would just simply be too long and lose its pacing. I'm glad it barely didn't. There's a lot ofOH NO DAY 1 DLC... oh wait, it's only cosmetics and I don't have to buy them to get the full gaming experience. That being said, Portal 2 is great. Not Portal 1 great, but still damn near perfect. My biggest issue is that Portal 1 worked so well because it was short. I was really scared Portal 2 would just simply be too long and lose its pacing. I'm glad it barely didn't. There's a lot of variation between levels and types of puzzles, and every chapter has its own little funny quirk. Recommended for people that aren't potato batteries. Expand
  12. May 7, 2011
    Portal 2 expands on the amazing foundations of Portal and creates a rich environment and story to parallel it's innovative gameplay. I enjoyed almost everything about this game. I only wish there were more game modes/maps to keep me playing. I hope they do DLC.
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    Um., Day 1 DLC? What the hell are you guys smoking? You talking about the shop? THAT DOESNT CHANGE GAMEPLAY (Unlike ACTIVISION with their 15 dollar mappacks), you have no right to complain about that, its in TF2, so why not portal 2?
  14. Apr 24, 2011
    Have only played the single player campaign. This is a very worthy sequel to the creative Portal 1. The core of the game is still solving puzzles, but they have added a number of new mechanics. The length is much longer, the storyline is better and the humor is even sharper than the original. The environment is improved beyond the sterile laboratory setting (although you'll still seeHave only played the single player campaign. This is a very worthy sequel to the creative Portal 1. The core of the game is still solving puzzles, but they have added a number of new mechanics. The length is much longer, the storyline is better and the humor is even sharper than the original. The environment is improved beyond the sterile laboratory setting (although you'll still see plenty.) Voice acting by Ellen McClain, Stephen Merchant, and J.K. Simmons deliver some excellent and memorable lines.
    Cons: not much. The experiments occasionally become repetitive, while the new game mechanics- gels and light constructs- do not seem to be used to their full advantage. Level design outside the test chambers occasionally becomes confusing, a trade-off of Valve's tendency for realistic level design. Although you might get tired of the puzzles, this time around you'll keep playing for the dialogue and story.
  15. Apr 28, 2011
    Short review: hilarious one-liners make the game absolutely worth playing. Gameplay is as good as ever, co-op is a brain-bending blast, and characters are classic.
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    It's a shame to see so many reviewers up in arms about a cosmetic addition to the game. But to be honest, I think it's equally shameful for many reviewers to just throw out a "This game was perfect," even for the purpose of counterracting the negative reviews.

Let's be realistic. Alright yes, there was DLC on day 1, but some of it is unlockable in-game anyway, and the saved game message might not have been patched due to release issues with Sony and Microsoft. I can easily overlook these, but the game was not perfect by any means either. There are some definite gripes to be had, but I think everybody, both yea- and nay-sayers just needs to calm down and look at this for its qualities as a game.

The campaign was pretty short; I believe I clocked in at about 5-6 hours. The co-op campaign, which I have not finished yet but am a decent way through, adds a significant amount of time to this. An 8-10 hour game (including co-op) is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. The single-player is more about the characters and the story, while the co-op focuses on some pretty intuitive puzzle solving, and in the end I think it balances well.

I think my biggest personal complaint, though, was the sheer amount of loading screens. I think I saw about 50-60 loading screens in the game. It seriously cuts down on game immersion if every 3 minutes you have to stare at black screen and wait for the next section of game to pop up, and it gets very tedious. But, to be honest, I can easily overlook that issue too, because there were several things this game did absolutely wonderfully.

First off, all the dialogue was exceptional, as was the voice acting. All of the robotic characters were perfectly believable, and JK Simmons' work as Cave Johnson was phenomenal. The off-kilter humor from the first Portal was still there as well, though it seems that some people didn't particularly care for that, either this time around. To me, that morbid sense of humor is what makes Portal Portal.

Another plus but also another gripe, I did enjoy all the new gameplay mechanics, but I think they could have fleshed them out a little bit more, through more puzzles. And they left out the pneumatic diversity vents, which I thought was disappointing.

Overall, this game was not perfect, but I don't think it really deserves such a strong negative reception. Some of the gripes were legitimate, like the single-player being a bit too short, or perhaps some of the puzzles being too easy. But complaints about the DLC and loading screens are just petty. Look at this game for the qualities of the actual game. I personally think Portal 2 definitely lived up to the precedent set by the first one. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I just hope that others will still be able to as well.
  17. Apr 26, 2011
    You MUST play Portal 1 before playing this. Puzzles are easier then in Portal 1, but few times you just think what you should do. Game is fun and voice acting is great. Sometimes this linear "tunnel running" feels really limited.
    Most annoying things in Portal 2 is: Too small levels, and constant loading screens. Also, why there is multiplayer skinning that cost several dollars/euros/pounds instantly! For this reason, you just can't think if this is just another "try-make-quick-money" scheme... Too bad.

But if you want 5 to 7 hours of fun with small, not-too-hard puzzles. I recommend it! I do like Portal 2. Maybe it just need something more after playing thru? And I'm not talk about costly DLS's.
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    If I had to summarize in a few words Portal 2 would be "masterpiece, " "splendid, " "brilliant ". And yet, there are so many other superlatives that could describe us as VALVe here proves his genius once again. In its mechanisms of gameplay as its level design and writing, Portal 2 is simply brilliant, intelligent and incredibly funny, as in his solo in his campaign co-op campaign.If I had to summarize in a few words Portal 2 would be "masterpiece, " "splendid, " "brilliant ". And yet, there are so many other superlatives that could describe us as VALVe here proves his genius once again. In its mechanisms of gameplay as its level design and writing, Portal 2 is simply brilliant, intelligent and incredibly funny, as in his solo in his campaign co-op campaign.

Logically THE game of the year to own and even the decade.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game. Love the music and sound effects, the storyline, the voice acting, the environments.

All those people complaining about DLC: don't do it here, on the Portal 2 PC page, as the DLC on PC is free. There is a page for the PS3 version of the game, voice your complaints there. To the guy who said "Subjecting the fan base to a marketing scam to get the game a few hours earlier", I

To the guy who said "Subjecting the fan base to a marketing scam to get the game a few hours earlier", I fail to see how it was a scam. You weren't forced to participate, it was clear what participating would do, and you got some great indie games at a heavily discounted price out of it too.
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    I haven't completed it yet, but so far it's much, much better than I expected. Obvious GOTY.
    The characters are the most compelling I've ever experienced in any game, and tough the ending was spoiled by a stupid leak (why on earth didn't Valve just release this when it was done?), it seemed like a really good one.
    I won't give it full score, though, as the DLC **** HAS to stop.
  21. Apr 19, 2011
    First off, the DLC is OPTIONAL and it is very obviously just hats and stuff for co-op, if you feel the need to buy such things. NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY IT. Secondly the single player campaign is a good length, 3 times as long as the original and if you rush through it, you will miss so much the game has to offer. I found myself sitting still and listening or watching things going onFirst off, the DLC is OPTIONAL and it is very obviously just hats and stuff for co-op, if you feel the need to buy such things. NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY IT. Secondly the single player campaign is a good length, 3 times as long as the original and if you rush through it, you will miss so much the game has to offer. I found myself sitting still and listening or watching things going on because the game is so detailed and layered in terms of scripted background events and the dialogue itself is Class A comedy. Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons shine here. I feel like the game dragged in the middle, the new game play elements were hit and miss, the paint levels being somewhat more frustrating than they should have been but otherwise the level design is tight and smart. Really looking forward to the level editor. Load times have to be my biggest grievance against the game but when it does so much else right, I'll begrudge it these small issues.

Buy the game, ignore the DLC if you want, find a friend and play the co-op. And most of all, enjoy the game. Not many comedies are as funny as it and very few games are as intelligent.
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    A great continuation of the portal story. It's sad to see users such as "Valvesucks" needlessly bring down the user score when they obviously haven't tried the game.

Also if you look at the review history for "DayoneDLC", "torako", "JLF", "Dickwolves", and "mQCmD's" they are all obviously fake accounts that were created just to give Portal 2 and Dragon Age 2 a score of 0. It's the same person making multiple accounts.
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a long time. Beautiful, funny and clever. Not the longest game ever, but that's because we were spoiled with HL2.
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    i was wrong game is great, golden potato'ers got a just reward i cant complain at all

i love tf2 the portal 2 store is cool also viva portal 2. feelsbadman.jpeg
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's just a great game.I wonder how somebody could finish this game in 4 hours. Did they just run though the levels and forgot about the Multiplayer which is much longer than the Singleplayer?
    And for those Mimimi day1 DLC guys: They are just hats and gestures like they are in TF2 and nobody complains about that and the guys who thought that the DLC would add some more hours of playing time: READ THE DESCRIPTION!
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a wonderful, fleshed-out sequel. The success of the first Portal meant that Valve had a lot of reason to sink more time and money into 2, and it shows. The test chambers feel broken down and old, but still deliver the portal puzzling gameplay that was so excellent in 1, with several added features like a flinging plate, lasers, and light bridges, among others.

The story is

The story is better than the first, if possible. Better voice acting (and more of it) make Wheatly and GladOS excellent allies/villains. Of course, there are twists that I don't want to spoil, but it's worth picking up for the story alone.

The excellent combination of story and gameplay make this an excellent game, and well worth your money. Indeed, it's $10 cheaper than most AAA releases, and exponentially deeper and more entertaining than your standard FPS. I highly recommend it.

Also, please note how I actually reviewed the game, like a proper review is supposed to, and didn't just give it a 0, b*tch about how short it is (it's longer than the first one that everyone loved), and whine about how it costs money to buy some optional skins. I'm willing to bet none of them actually played the game through to its conclusion.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    If you liked Portal and you don't have a stick up your ass, you will love this game. I started playing and couldn't stop, ended up beating it in one sitting, took about 5 hours, haven't touched coop yet but I'm sure that will be fun too. I can't wait to make some custom maps using the new gels and stuff. I just wish there were a few more puzzles in the campaign instead of all theIf you liked Portal and you don't have a stick up your ass, you will love this game. I started playing and couldn't stop, ended up beating it in one sitting, took about 5 hours, haven't touched coop yet but I'm sure that will be fun too. I can't wait to make some custom maps using the new gels and stuff. I just wish there were a few more puzzles in the campaign instead of all the backrooms stuff. The exploration down below was really cool though, getting to know more back story. I'm trying not to post any spoilers. I felt the inclusion of the "interactive teaser" was really stupid, however I'm not detracting from the score for that because it isn't required for anything. Another thing I'm not detracting for is the cash shop, because it doesn't matter. They had success with the one for TF2 so it makes sense that they'd add the same thing to Portal. If you don't want to use it, don't. I don't know where people are getting this "please don't turn off your console" thing, because I NEVER saw this. There are some signs that they made this game console friendly, but it's not with game breaking **** like the retarded enemies in Crysis 2. The ending was spoiled for me, so I unfortunately saw it coming, but that didn't make it any worse. I can't believe some people are that pathetic that they get their jollies ruining things for other people. All in all I loved this game and Valve did a great job. I do think that countdown thing was ****, however, because it became very obvious that it was rigged to end at the exact time that it did, and that we didn't help a damn thing. Expand
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    honestly one of the best videogames i`ve played so far in my life. the writing was soo funny and the lvl design is outstanding for me..defenitly worth the 50 bucks!!!
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    The amount of whiny trolls here is just ridiculous. I imagine most of them haven't even played the game, and are just regurgitating what they've heard the others say. First off, the single player takes a good 6-8 hours. Still not incredibly long (and the only reason why I knocked off one point), but I'll replay it just to hear the dialogue, not to mention find all the secrets and get theThe amount of whiny trolls here is just ridiculous. I imagine most of them haven't even played the game, and are just regurgitating what they've heard the others say. First off, the single player takes a good 6-8 hours. Still not incredibly long (and the only reason why I knocked off one point), but I'll replay it just to hear the dialogue, not to mention find all the secrets and get the achievements. And that's without touching co-op. How can you even call cosmetic hats DLC? Here's a hint: just don't buy them. Your game experience will be completely unchanged. The only people who should have a problem with this are exactly the kind of morons who see shiny digital horse armor and have some strange compulsive nature that forces them to buy it.

Don't even know what they're talking about with "Please don't turn off your console." Never saw it, and the game doesn't feel like a port at all.

After L4D2 I was worried that Valve know longer knew how to make a sequel as good as or better than its predecessor, but here they've clearly done the latter. The gameplay is better (hard light trails, gels and excursion funnels add a ton of depth) and the humor is better. But maybe that's the real reason why the haters are so mad, because there's no easily identifiable meme line to clutch onto and propagate ad nauseum like "the cake is a lie" (Ugh, that got old so fast).
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a damn good game, everything from the original is worked upon and improved - The puzzles, the writing, it's all top notch. The lack of multiplayer has been addressed with a separate co-op mode with it's own (admittedly short) storyline, but I wasn't expecting much in the way of story outside of the single player.
    Now for the controversial stuff.
    I was not expecting the day one
    Now for the controversial stuff.
    I was not expecting the day one DLC, and I will admit it is something of a dick move on Valve's part, but it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. All the pieces of DLC are purely cosmetic changes for the multiplayer characters and you're not left out in the cold for not being able to afford a new paint job. None the less, the DLC is the reason I'm not giving the game a 10. It left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, but it doesn't overly impact the quality of the experience.
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    with the minor issues related to the "console" error i have found this game enjoyable, the only reason im giving this a 9 is due to £27.99 worth of DLC on the first day plus no free items as promised in the preorder potato sack. im worried its just valve making cash out of somthing to fund EP3....we will never know..
  32. Apr 19, 2011
    Great writing. Amazing voice acting. Detailed story, adding a lot to the Half life lore.
    Could have been longer, but satisfying none the less.
    I see no reason to complain about DLC. I would expect this will help fund more free content and updates. ie TF2's 198 patches since launch.
    Quality well polished game.
  33. Apr 19, 2011
    While I've only played the single player campaign so far, and have yet to tackle co-op, this review is only based on the single player mode. Took me about 8 hours to beat, but that may be been a bit fast as since I've played portal 1 so much, all the "tutorial" levels I blitzed through in seconds. A player who is new to the game probably will take a bit longer to get used to the mechanics.While I've only played the single player campaign so far, and have yet to tackle co-op, this review is only based on the single player mode. Took me about 8 hours to beat, but that may be been a bit fast as since I've played portal 1 so much, all the "tutorial" levels I blitzed through in seconds. A player who is new to the game probably will take a bit longer to get used to the mechanics. Humor felt a little bit more forced than portal 1, but that's the only complain I can bring myself to make about the game. It's unique, interesting, challenging. Highly highly reccomend playing this. Expand
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    I think a lot of people aren't judging this for what it is. It's a nich 3D FPS puzzle game. It's not Battlefield 3 with Portal guns, it's not a sci-fi GTA. If you go into it expecting anything other than a series of training rooms (puzzles) with a sprinkling of narrative you will be disappointed. If you expect this to be a game that you can't finish in a weekend, you will be disappointedI think a lot of people aren't judging this for what it is. It's a nich 3D FPS puzzle game. It's not Battlefield 3 with Portal guns, it's not a sci-fi GTA. If you go into it expecting anything other than a series of training rooms (puzzles) with a sprinkling of narrative you will be disappointed. If you expect this to be a game that you can't finish in a weekend, you will be disappointed (for the record, most games can be finished in a weekend, Disgaea this is not). A lot of people seem to be upset (no, actually downright furious) for some reason, at the inclusion of an in-game store where you can purchase cosmetic upgrades for your co-op character. It's very misleading to be calling it "DLC", as traditional DLC for games involves new playable content. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm OK with having more options as opposed to less options. I probably won't buy anything but I'm happy it's there. This also is a good sign that Valve intends to support the game for some time, possibly adding regular free content ala TF2 or L4D2. Expand
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is fantastic. I absolutely loved the original and Valve delivered with this one, improving on the original in every way possible. It's like comparing the original Assassin's Creed to AC2. It was well worth the money, delivering a much longer single player (took me roughly 7 hours to finish). Stephen Merchant was great as Wheatley and Ellen McLain once again provided greatPortal 2 is fantastic. I absolutely loved the original and Valve delivered with this one, improving on the original in every way possible. It's like comparing the original Assassin's Creed to AC2. It was well worth the money, delivering a much longer single player (took me roughly 7 hours to finish). Stephen Merchant was great as Wheatley and Ellen McLain once again provided great voice-over as GLaDOS. The humor was brilliant this time round and gave me quite a few laughs throughout the game.

There are some great new puzzle elements that offer much more variety as you progress further. All in all, another fantastic game from Valve. I have yet to try the co-op which probably adds a lot more to the game.

And to everyone complaining about the DLC. You're not being forced to buy it, they're OPTIONAL extras that are there if you want to buy them. Giving a game a low rating because you don't want to pay for it is disgraceful and you should re-evaluate calling yourself a gamer.

Loved Portal? Then this game is a must for you and worth every penny. Go buy it and have some fun.
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    Even better than portal 2, users giving a 0 just because they don't like the potato thing/ the tf2 style dlc shop.... should stop whining and play, it's a great game. Absolutely 100% worth the price
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    I was a big fan of the first game, and was looking forward to this game, and in the end it did not disappoint.
    I liked the new innovations and the addition of the story element. Was overall very enjoyable.
    The only thing that bothered me was the amount of loading screens considering how short some of the levels were. The game length was adequate in my opinion, about 6 hours, and co-op
    The game length was adequate in my opinion, about 6 hours, and co-op seems like it can add a lot more time onto the game.
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    I was really angry with all of these "pseudo-negative" reviews.... Just garbage: fact-> critics agree with the fact that Portal 2 is clearly longer than its predecessor. Then there is no DLC including real content (like extra puzzle) but only skins available. Once you know this, here come one of the best pc Game i've ever played! (However you need to have an affinity with puzzle games toI was really angry with all of these "pseudo-negative" reviews.... Just garbage: fact-> critics agree with the fact that Portal 2 is clearly longer than its predecessor. Then there is no DLC including real content (like extra puzzle) but only skins available. Once you know this, here come one of the best pc Game i've ever played! (However you need to have an affinity with puzzle games to feel the same). The whole game is an example of writing, the soundtrack is not bad. The game has an unique atmosphere, and the the voice actors are really "brilliant" (ah ah). Do not listen all of these ridiculous troll, Portal 2 is a great game so inventive that it is really hard to stop grabbing your mouse! And with the co-op game you can share this compulsion with one of your friend :D (I tried it with a friend and we didn't stop laughing from the start to the end of our session. There is no real turn-offs in this game excepting maybe the store with extra skins which are a bit expensive from my point of view.
    To sum up, Portal 2 is nothing but brilliant!
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    You'd enjoy this game if you like puzzle-games, platforms and think. But you'd love it if you have followed all the valve ARG and played portal 1. It's a MUST HAVE game for all the gamers. Best game since Half Life. Buy it, it's worth the price, and try not to use a walkthrough or cheating, it will destroy your fun.
  40. Mar 19, 2012
    Very good game and improvements over Portal due to better graphics, more complex maps, and a better plot. The newly added features such as gels and coop modes really made the game much better to play. However, I took one mark off for day-one dlcs.
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    Seriously, these complaints are completely unwarranted, or at least in the wrong place.

Most of these reviews seem to be moaning about the potato sack pack. Any marketing for the game (and I should note no one was "required" to buy the whole pack, or any game from the pack as some are claiming) really doesn't affect the game itself. DLC. It seems like most people hear DLC and instantly

DLC. It seems like most people hear DLC and instantly think "bad greedy company." This is sometimes the case, with DLC that provides players with overpowered weapons. This is not the case in Portal 2. Yes it is a system in place in order to make Valve money, but I fail to see how this is necessarily a bad thing. If people want to buy cosmetic bonuses for their characters, let them. It provides no disadvantage to anyone else.

Puzzles. I've been playing through the game simultaneously with a friend. Neither of us are stupid - he is currently working on his doctorate - yet we have been consistently challenged by the puzzles later in the game. The new elements introduced later really do make the game more challenging. If you claim you found all of the puzzles overly easy, I'm not sure I believe you finished.

Gameplay. There have been complaints about unoriginality. These complaints are absurd. You would not play Half-Life 2 expecting a stealth-heavy game, nor should you expect such a basic mechanical change in Portal's sequel. Instead, Valve introduces new peripheral mechanics which it uses to build upon the original concept, the way a sequel is supposed to build upon the original.

Writing. I'll start with the story. I enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting, and there were a few twists that I really wasn't expecting. There was a lot more to the story than in Portal 1, and I won't waste time debating this with anyone.

Console Port. Another one of those terms that people immediately and inexplicably associate with "bad." I see no problem with porting games to consoles, if it is done well. As I haven't played the console versions, however, I won't comment on them.

Humor. It was subtler, but still very frequent and very much there. I have to question whether anyone who says otherwise has actually bothered to listen to it. I laughed a lot playing through Portal 2.

Cake. I hate the cake meme, and how the internet has exploited such a miniscule aspect of Portal 1. "The cake is a lie" is not funny, no matter how many times you say it. Valve handles this very well in Portal 2, addressing the cake only once, in passing, and then leaving it.

Length. This is the only complaint I've read here that even approaches validity. The single player mode took me about 9 hours, about four times longer than Portal 1. I still haven't played the coop portion, so I won't ignorantly comment on it. It is significantly longer than Portal 1, but yes, it is still a fairly short game. I do not believe those who claim that they finished it in four hours on their first playthrough without walkthroughs or cheats.

Rereading this, it looks like I've become more verbose as the review progressed, so I'll end this before I sound any more like a prick. In summary, I have had fun so far with Portal 2, and consider it a worthwhile purchase.
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved this game. It had an awesome start, it had awesome twists and turns, and it was fun all through. There are really only minor things to criticise, like a few lazy jokes and that kind of stuff. But that's just my opinion. Plus, that's like 4 in 1000. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I loved the atmosphere, and it was just the right amount of difficulty. There isn't much replayability though. But I never play games with good re-play value more than once or twice anyway, so it really doesn't matter to me. And I know there will be huge amounts of user created content and a bit of official story-driven DLC too.

All in all, I loved it.
  43. Apr 19, 2011
    Loved portal 1, loved portal 2. Sure, the portals are the same, and I admit the chambers were a bit easy and I breezed through all but one of them. However, for the single player mode, I prefer easy chambers over hard chambers that get in the way of me seeing the story develop. I'm glad to see they put challenging chambers in the coop, outside of the single player story, so I'm notLoved portal 1, loved portal 2. Sure, the portals are the same, and I admit the chambers were a bit easy and I breezed through all but one of them. However, for the single player mode, I prefer easy chambers over hard chambers that get in the way of me seeing the story develop. I'm glad to see they put challenging chambers in the coop, outside of the single player story, so I'm not dying over and over trying to complete chambers. I think Valve did alright by Portal 2, and there's enough content here to keep me glad that the Portal 1 story will live on. I took one point off because I, like others, expected a longer game for the amount of hype and price, even if it was amazingly polished! Expand
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    I'm very confused as to why everyone is complaining about the length of the game. I played for more than six hours last night and still didn't finish it. I took my time with some puzzles, but I don't think I'm slower than the average player. I have yet to play the co-op campaign, so I'm looking forward to at least another six hours of gameplay there. This game is definitely more than fourI'm very confused as to why everyone is complaining about the length of the game. I played for more than six hours last night and still didn't finish it. I took my time with some puzzles, but I don't think I'm slower than the average player. I have yet to play the co-op campaign, so I'm looking forward to at least another six hours of gameplay there. This game is definitely more than four hours long.

There seem to be a lot of complaints about the ARG and the potato collection game. This optional extra didn't force anyone to take part, and didn't push the release date back; it was a chance to have the game released early, but it didn't work out. I didn't bother to buy any of the Potato Sack Pack games, so I have no unwarranted complaints about the price of that.

The paid DLC isn't good if you don't like spending money, I'll agree, but once again that stuff is entirely optional, and it's also entirely cosmetic. Even if you don't touch the DLC (which is my plan), you aren't missing out on anything. Valve isn't selling new levels or important plot points, just skins and accessories for your character. They've obviously based this decision on the popularity of their Team Fortress 2 DLC.

Portal 2 is one of the most polished, funny, challenging, and all-round fun games that I've played. The dialogue is written and acted well; the score is atmospheric and emphatic; the visuals are gorgeous and the gameplay is challenging without being frustrating. It has more than its fair share of 'Wow!' moments, especially when you've been working out a puzzle for five or ten minutes and then you finally figure out how to do it.

Don't listen to the trolls; this game is great, and it is definitely worth buying for you and/or a friend.
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    I just had to make an account here when I saw the kotaku link posting about how player reviews were panning portal2 on metacritic. All I can assume is that people giving bad (red) reviews were not really portal1 fans at all. Some of the comments are just lies. 4 hour game? In what universe? As a veteran portal1 player (who has mastered 100% of challenges in p1), I completed the game onI just had to make an account here when I saw the kotaku link posting about how player reviews were panning portal2 on metacritic. All I can assume is that people giving bad (red) reviews were not really portal1 fans at all. Some of the comments are just lies. 4 hour game? In what universe? As a veteran portal1 player (who has mastered 100% of challenges in p1), I completed the game on first run through in about 6.5 hours and thought it was amazing. Don't forget the COOP is a totally new game with new levels and also lasts at least 5 hours depending on the skill level of your partner.

Really the only reason I've given it 9/10 instead of 10/10 is that I would have liked to see a 'Challenges' option for the hardcore among us to sink our teeth into after mastering the single and coop games. But getting a few of the harder achievements will suffice for now, hopefully a DLC will contain 'challenge' maps later on.

It was worth the wait, worth the money and definitely worth the hype.
  46. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the bad reviewers, unless they are some sort of portal expert, finishing the game in 4 hours is impossible, and an online store hardly counts as DLC in the context they are putting it in. This game is a masterpiece with excellent, witty dialogue and puzzles that are easy enough to not get you frustrated, but still hard enough to catch you off guard if you are not prepared.
  47. Apr 19, 2011
    Well, since I wasn't one of the people that bought the potato sack (which has some very decent indie games in it, also you supported the indie community, thanks for that!) I'm not automatically going to give this a 0. The game isn't short compared to today's standards, I've played a good 10 hours so far, which is the same as any other big release game on the market now, so stop whining.Well, since I wasn't one of the people that bought the potato sack (which has some very decent indie games in it, also you supported the indie community, thanks for that!) I'm not automatically going to give this a 0. The game isn't short compared to today's standards, I've played a good 10 hours so far, which is the same as any other big release game on the market now, so stop whining. I'd rather pay $40 for a well polished, fun Valve game that I know is going to be great instead of wasting $80 on a disappointing game that I thought would have been good.

The only downside of the game I can see so far is that Co Op won't be as repayable as I'd like it. Also, who cares about DLC, don't buy it but don't come onto metacritic and whine about it.

It's a Valve game, you can expect only quality, buy the game and make your own mind up! Don't come to sites like these that have Youtube style voting systems where anyone can give anything an unjustified 0 or 10 to make up your mind.

Pros

- An awesome addition to the Portal franchise, an outstanding game for what it is... A PUZZLE GAME.
    - A FULL game, 8 - 12 hours.
    - Co-op is fun and ORIGINAL.
    - Hilarious dialogue. A good story.
    - Great music, it suits the scene of the game.
    - The graphics are amazing, especially with the crumbling environments.
    - It links in with Half-Life.
    - It's a quality, polished Valve game.
    -Worth more playthroughs; achievements, secrets or just for fun.

Cons
    - Co-op Reply Value is fairly low. - ...um hmm.. There's nothing else I can think of that's wrong with the game at the moment.
  48. Apr 19, 2011
    Very, VERY good game. I played Portal 1 twice this past weekend in anticipation of Portal 2 and I feel that it absolutely delivered. Takes a bit of time at the beginning to train new players and refresh those who played Portal 1, the game then introduces new mechanics and consistently delivers them in interesting ways throughout the game.

Single-player took me a total of six and a half

Single-player took me a total of six and a half hours to complete, and I have not finished co-op yet. The controversial "launch DLC" is nothing more than skins and such for the robots you play in co-op - purchase if you desire, but if you do not purchase you are missing out on nothing.

Great game, would give it a 10/10 but I feel single-player is a bit on the short side. If Valve releases additional single-player content for free (ie. advanced test chambers like Portal 1), this game will then be a 10/10 to me.
  49. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore the haters. They will always look at the glass is 1/10 empty. This game is solid and more than a cosmetic face lift take it from a game developer. The amount of work put into this is phenomenal, pure polish, had me laughing all the way, could not believe the attention to detail, there are some minor issues, but nothing to get in a spin about. I wish I had their resources, but inIgnore the haters. They will always look at the glass is 1/10 empty. This game is solid and more than a cosmetic face lift take it from a game developer. The amount of work put into this is phenomenal, pure polish, had me laughing all the way, could not believe the attention to detail, there are some minor issues, but nothing to get in a spin about. I wish I had their resources, but in Australia thatâ Expand
  50. Apr 19, 2011
    Not only is this Valve's best game this may be one of the best games ever made. Whatever you do, do NOT listen to the gaming "hipsters" that will say things like "the first one was better" "valve's marketing is terrible" etc. They are wrong. Portal 2 is, in every way an improvement on Portal. The puzzles, while sometimes easier, are more varied and have a greater complexity to them. AlmostNot only is this Valve's best game this may be one of the best games ever made. Whatever you do, do NOT listen to the gaming "hipsters" that will say things like "the first one was better" "valve's marketing is terrible" etc. They are wrong. Portal 2 is, in every way an improvement on Portal. The puzzles, while sometimes easier, are more varied and have a greater complexity to them. Almost like Angry Birds: its a 30 second solution that takes 3 minutes to figure out. The writing is some of the best ever done in a video game and the voice acting is top notch. If you, even for a SECOND, enjoyed Portal, you owe it to yourself to play this one.
    Now, there's always another side to the coin. For all its greatness, and it is mostly greatness, there are some faults. Even with the upgrades to the Source Engine, the game looks dated. cool lighting effects and great level design work around this, but the cracks in the skin are starting to really show. The second complaint is the biggest. The store. Its unnecessary, its annoying, its really stupid. Thankfully, unlike the TF2 store, everything is cosmetic only, but still. As for complaints like "The PC version is a console port" and "the potato sack did nothing" both are wrong. The PC version plays incredibly smoothly, and the graphics are even better then the consoles. Don't believe me? Check out Rockpapershotgun and PCgamer for their reviews, they'll say the exact same thing. as for the Potato Sack complaint? While the sack may not have really sped up the release by more then a few hours, people don't seem to realize what a sale like that does for the indie community. Most of those games were made by small teams, maybe even one person. The fact that Valve was willing to package it's biggest game with these indie games means that Valve really cares for its community and indie developers. So what if it didn't push forward the release of Portal 2? I guarantee that anyone who bought the Potato Sack isn't complaining.
    In conclusion: Portal 2 is one of the best games ever made. If you want to listen to hipsters tell you otherwise, that's your prerogative. But if you can find joy in an awesome game, with awesome puzzles and awesome writing, then Portal 2 is just the game for you. Clocking in at 6-8 hours (single player) this is the perfect game for your weekend.
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    I haven't finished either, but a solid 2 hours in and I see quite a bit more game coming at me, with more innovation in levels as well as co-op. To the guy that said you beat in in 45 minutes, that's completely **** I beat the first one in about 45 minutes the second time I played on steam about a week ago, and this has a significantly larger amount of chambers already, with innovative newI haven't finished either, but a solid 2 hours in and I see quite a bit more game coming at me, with more innovation in levels as well as co-op. To the guy that said you beat in in 45 minutes, that's completely **** I beat the first one in about 45 minutes the second time I played on steam about a week ago, and this has a significantly larger amount of chambers already, with innovative new designs. To people who say it's too short or doesn't fit the 60$ price tag, that's also stupid. I paid 35$ for this game and will get a 20$ gift card to amazon because of it. Anyone who pays full price without getting preorder benefits that will inevitably stack towards the next game you buy is dumb. With so much competition between retailers, going to the only one (Gamestop) that doesn't offer things at launch is idiotic. To people who say that the 60$ pricetag doesn't include the 80$ of day one DLC, it's all visual. Nobody gives a damn what emoticon your character can express, and again, nobody in their right mind would buy all of it. To claim it adds to the price tag is bull, it doesn't do anything, let the game be the test of the game, not the pricetag.

Nevertheless, even at a 60$ pricetag, with kotaku and others reporting >10 hours of gameplay, it beats going to the movies.

Oh and BTW this is the second valve game I've ever owned. Not a "fanboy" looking to praise anyone. I had the free copy of Portal one, and I suppose I've played Left for Dead, but never bothered buying them.

The only downside I can see so far is that so far the levels haven't been anything about the timing, all about thinking. I liked the few about timing in the first. Added reflexes and such.

Definitely a fun game, and I haven't even started co-op! Also never buy into the hype. Make your own hype, don't go with everyone or it will be a hype inflation :P In which case this game would still be a good game, never a negative review due to solely that.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    Brilliant game.
    Starts off brilliantly, continues on brilliantly, and ends brilliantly. Lots of thing you will laugh at and remember for ages.
    The Co-op is great too, especially when something goes wrong or you miss judge something and see your partner go splat into a wall you miss judged. Yes the game may not be the longest in history, but come on, if you ever played Portal1 (and you
    Brilliant game.
    Yes the game may not be the longest in history, but come on, if you ever played Portal1 (and you should) then you must be an idiot* for expected this to be a 20+ hour epic.

*Idiot is a very weak term, should be much stronger really.
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    The best game ever (Valve and not). Gameplay, graphic, soundtrack, story every single thing of this game it's simply wonderful. If you liked Portal, buy this, immediately.
  54. Apr 20, 2011
    All this hate over the ARG, DLC, it being a supposed "console port", and other non-issues is ridiculous. I'm not sure where all this vitriol comes from and to merely blame "trolls" seems to simple an out (and the default counter argument on the internet).

Portal 2 does surpass the original in terms of gameplay, story, and future expandable potential. Is the price of $50 ($45 for the pre-order) justified by the content? Compared to other forms of media (and even other video games) I think it does. Consider: you spend $15 to see a 2 hour movie, which, arguably, probably doesn't tell a story nearly as well as Portal 2 does; the math works out in the favor of Portal 2. Or lets say that you could beat Portal 2 in 4 hours (NOTE: If you beat this in 4 hours, you probably weren't playing for the experience anyway), I think "4 hours" of an amazing game is better than 8 - 12 hours of a mediocre bore.

When it comes to Portal 2, the professional critics have it exactly right and the "fans" have it wrong. To not play this game based upon some vague anger is myopic at best because that means you'll miss out on arguably the greatest gaming experience of this year (if not ever).
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    C'est clairement le meilleur jeu sortis ces derniers temps. Les nouveaux mécanismes ont été utilisé avec beaucoup de subtilité (et parfois moins), ce qui permettra la création de niveaux extraordinaires avec le SDK. Le scénario a évité la facilité et lesC'est clairement le meilleur jeu sortis ces derniers temps. Les nouveaux mécanismes ont été utilisé avec beaucoup de subtilité (et parfois moins), ce qui permettra la création de niveaux extraordinaires avec le SDK. Le scénario a évité la facilité et les poncifs, pour porter un humour toujours aussi agréable. La version anglaise serait cependant à mon sens quelque peu meilleure que la version francophone, d'où mon 9.

Une grande réussite, à la hauteur du premier !
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    The atmosphere of Portal 2 was dark and moody. The humor was spot on. Gameplay was challenging without being obnoxiously difficult. None of the puzzles felt contrived or particularly monotonous. The single player game length felt right (It took me roughly 10 hours to play through)

Just a couple of minor points felt a bit silly to me is the only reason I don't give the game a 10.
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was no Portal; we all saw that coming. Yet, Portal 2 did the unthinkable for sequels, in that it matched its predecessor. Sure, the initial shock of "How cool is this?" was gone - we've been thinking with portals for some time now - but the thrill was still there. Puzzle solving with portals is, simply put, entertaining, and the new mechanics were engaging but not tooPortal 2 was no Portal; we all saw that coming. Yet, Portal 2 did the unthinkable for sequels, in that it matched its predecessor. Sure, the initial shock of "How cool is this?" was gone - we've been thinking with portals for some time now - but the thrill was still there. Puzzle solving with portals is, simply put, entertaining, and the new mechanics were engaging but not too frustrating.

The storyline this time around was, I thought, better than the first one, despite depending on Portal for its punch. The flow of the game was steady, and overall Portal 2 was at least double the length of Portal.

The haterade is purely unfounded: the game isn't that short, and the DLC is purely visual. Valve didn't hold back any extra levels or fun content just to try and sell it on release day. As if it weren't already bleedingly obvious, you know the game has to be good when it's getting so much vitriol from the peanut gallery.

In all, Portal 2 was worth the $40 I spent on it (PC, bought the 2-pack with a friend) and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to round up a partner to keep working on the co-op content. As if single player Portal wasn't awesome enough, right?
  58. Apr 20, 2011
    I've played the majority of this game already and am planning on going back and exploring more. Was this game as good as Portal? Pretty much. Of course, its not as fresh since its a sequel, but the writing is excellent and quirky which was one of the best things from the original. Don't believe the haters. This game is tons of fun.
  59. Apr 20, 2011
    This Game is one of the best i played for years. Valve put good puzzles in it, so that everyone can solve some of them. For me it was at the end a bit to hard to get those puzzles solved.
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was an amazing game, a lot better than first Portal. I had lots of fun while playing it, it could have been slightly longer tho, but i guess considering how the story went, if it was any longer, it would have probably just dragged the story on too much. Quality over quantity in this case.
    Ive spend over 14h in the game already and its still fun to play.
    Music in the game was
    Ive spend over 14h in the game already and its still fun to play.
    Music in the game was awesome and fit it very well (and ending song was even better than Still Alive).
    Dialog was funny and characters had nice personalities.. i mean, even co-op _robots_ have more personality than characters in most games nowdays.

Also everyone else who wants to review the game with negative feedback..please stop bringing the ARG to the reviews you idiots, the ARG is not Portal 2 so you dont need to goddamn review it.

Also unlike what many rage reviewers say, Portal 2 is nowhere near a console port.
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    Very solid game. All of what you expect from Portal specifically and Valve in general is there. Only weak parts for me was a particular chapter toward the middle-end of game involving the founder of Aperature Science. But that "weakness" was minor mostly a taste issue. My breakdown:

Graphics: Source is aging exceptionally well, no weakness here. Gameplay: Riffs around the same theme from the original Portal. This is a good thing
    Plot/dialog: Best in class.
    Time to play single player: For me (I grind, don't rush, explore every nook and cranny): 8+ hours
    Time for co-op: TBD, havent done it yet, plan to this week-end
  62. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is simply gorgeous!!! It's full of innovations, it's very very long (I spent 7-8 for single player and 4-5 hours for co-op) and I don't know why there are so many bad reviews, it has a good graphic and an unique plot. For sure all these important details makes it the Game of the Year.
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    While lacking in absolute perfection, the game is delivered in a highly competent manner, with a compelling storyline, well written (and acted) dialogue, challenging puzzles, and great new features there is really little to complain about.

Reasonably extensive developer commentary, cunningly hidden easter eggs, and the presence of achievements all provide an excuse to replay the game and enjoy the story all over again.

If you value the length of a single player experience above all else, this game may not be for you, as I was able to finish it (although I have not yet managed to find every secret or complete every achievement) within a single day, yet I did not feel that it was too short, it had a story to tell and it did so in a pleasing way.
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is a vast improvement on everything from Portal 1.

This game is a vast improvement on everything from Portal 1.

The dialog and story was incredible, the levels were incredible, and the new gels, bridges, lasers, and funnels added much more variety to the puzzles and gameplay itself. The length of 5-8 hours (depending how fast you are) is just perfect considering how far they can stretch the story before it becomes boring and repetetive. But it on Steam to save money and not consoles. This was made for PC.

The only thing that detracts from this wonderful game is the loading screens, hence why I can't give it a 10. I would bash the DLC, but seeing as how you can get everything by achievements and DLC isn't game changing at the moment, then there is absolutely no problem with it.
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    Just fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but sinceJust fantastic the game is short but its longer than portal 1 at least twice as long and it also has co-op which also gives more play time taking all that the consideration not only the price is right but the graphic design and the level of detail put into the game its incredible the store was my only concern which was kind of disappointing to see considering we talk about Valve but since all its content is not essential to the gameplay or the levels themselves its just a little gimmick thing for those who want to wear cute little hats on cute little robots and I can't see anyone making a big deal about something as little as that Expand
  66. Apr 20, 2011
    I want also to make this clear,Portal 2 is a great game, The music,the atmosphere ,the game play is superb,Valve Deserves it. I am also very annoyed with people who are giving low scores. This game is great and it will probably be the best game of the year.
  67. Apr 20, 2011
    Great stuff! The graphics are gorgeous, the audio evocative, the characterbots fun and yes its too short only
    because its so much fun you don't want it to end. It runs very well on my ageing machine: 2.8 gig 32 bit P4,
    4650 ATI (1 gig). With all settings put to max there's no problem. Worth the money!
  68. Apr 20, 2011
    I will join the chorus saying that a lot of the most common complaints about this game are exaggerated, if not outright false. I can understand that many were disappointed in some things, but it's hard to believe that many truly mean the incredibly low scores they have given the game.

To give a short, spoiler-free review and recommendation I would say this: The game is great. The writing, humor, puzzles, new physics elements, characters, voice work and graphics are all very nicely done. I believe that anyone who enjoyed playing the first game will greatly enjoy the time spent playing the second game.

But is it worth the price tag? That's the real question here - because the complaints about the length of the game do have some meat to them. The game isn't very long. Though it seems that Steam's timer is broken and it reports shorter playtime than what people have actually been putting in, you can still finish it in about 7-9 hours, depending on how quick you are in solving puzzles. If you have someone to play with you can add a few hours to that for co-op. And if you (like me) are crazy about Valve's excellent Director's Commentary, another couple of hours of enjoyment to go around listening to that.

All in all not a super short game (certainly not a mini-game like some reviews have called it) but it can definitely seem on the short side for the price tag. I don't think a game should be counted purely in hours though - the quality is definitely high in Portal 2's playtime, even if the quantity is a bit on the low side. Valve has as usual spent a lot of time and effort on playtesting, giving us an experience that is thoroughly refined. This is something I will always value higher than churning out as many levels/puzzles/maps as possible before release day.

So if you're like me and enjoy a high quality experience and have the money to spare, I do recommend it. If you feel that a full-price game needs to be longer to be worth it, I don't hesitate in recommending you to rather buy another, longer game now. As we all very well know, any game on Steam is liable to experience a huge drop in price at a sale sooner or later, so if you think the price tag is too high I'm certain that a lower price tag is waiting for you.

Now, regarding some of the other complaints in other reviews:

1) "In-game store is just inflating the price even higher!": Yes, Valve is selling useless DLC-content in an in-game store, just like they do in TF2. And just like in TF2 you are perfectly free to ignore that content. I will certainly not spend any money on it and you don't have to either - so the people tallying the DLC-content into the cost of the game are frankly just being silly.

2) "It's a worthless console port!": This was a complaint I was really surprised at. I was counting on people complaining about the price, length and store - but I do not get the idea that the PC/Mac-versions are bad console ports. The computer gaming market has (most unfortunately) been flooded with bad console ports of games for a long time now, and this really doesn't feel like one. Bad console ports are usually plagued by three things: Bad controls, stupid systems to save your game and sometimes really bad graphics. I do not see any of that in Portal 2. The graphics are, in my opinion, superb. The controls are just like the controls in any other Valve-FPS, not the crappy "gamepad oriented" controls we see in bad console ports. And you can save where you want, there is even a quicksave-button and none of those outdated checkpoint-systems that often plague console games. 3) "Argh, the stupid ARG was stupid and expensive too!": The complaints about Valve's pre-release-thing (with the whole Alternate Reality Game and indie-game-pack) are mostly nonsensical as well. Many say that the "potato hunt" and everything was just a silly marketing stunt. Which should only merit the response "Well, duh, what did you think?" Of course it was a marketing stunt! But it was also a fun event. A lot of us fans of strange indie-games already owned some of the games involved in the stunt and got some extra content and extra challenges to do, plus there was a huge sale on some great games. All in all a fun time to play games with some added challenges and collaborate for the silly project of getting Portal 2 released a few hours early. If you don't like that sort of thing you were not in any way, shape or form forced to participate, but I had a lot of fun.

Some people are again adding to the price tag of the game, including the indie games from the "potato sack" in the price for Portal 2 - which is again just silly. You were not required to buy them and if you did buy them without wanting them you have nobody to blame but yourself. I for one bought the ones that I already wanted, and enjoyed the discount - so no extra money spent there.
  69. Apr 20, 2011
    Money well spent, truly enjoyed the entire game. The co-op just made everything a lot more fun, especially if you play it with a friend. Valve really outdid themselves!
  70. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is brilliant. Its puzzles remain world-class, its sense of humor poignant and sharp, and it's beautiful to behold. It is a rather short game, but I would prefer a short experience that exceeded my expectations than a long, drawn-out, dull one. And replay value lives on as I will, most certainly, complete the game several times.

And this is before I've even started the

And this is before I've even started the co-operative play.

Bottom line: Buy it. A great title by a great company!
  71. Apr 20, 2011
    The co-op campaign is awesome, but a bit short. Great story and dialog. Builds on the creepiness and humor of the original. Will likely be playing this one again and again.
  72. Apr 20, 2011
    Worth $40 in my book (I pre-ordered and split a 2 pack on steam), not quite worth the full $50 unless you really feel like giving valve your money.

The game itself improves on the gameplay of portal and valve manages to cram a huge amount of back story into a series that previously had none. The game is quite a bit longer than portal and the co-op is a nice addition but being a

The game is quite a bit longer than portal and the co-op is a nice addition but being a "puzzle"game it doesn't have that much replay value. Being that this is a single player focused game, valve really should have bundled something with it to make it more worthwhile over the long run, maybe a competitive multiplayer mode of some sort.

Graphics wise, portal 2 isnt nearly as shiny as some other games on the market, but who cares,? The game is well polished, looks pretty good and will run at high framerates even on relatively dated hardware.

Oh and all the trolls who have been writing low reviews should shut up, the "DLC" is a bunch of OPTIONAL skins and emotes that are not required. If you require non essential skins and emotes to play portal 2, you need help, cause you compulsively spend money for no reason.
    DLC system is no different from TF2, actually IMO is better cause you cant buy weapons or anything that changes your stats!
  73. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is, unlike what many say, a fantastic game. Maybe its sort. Nah. This game is 12-20 hours long if you count the coop. I completed games just as quickly and more costly. Plus for the game it is and the storyline its perfect. The only way they could make the game longer is way more test chambers. Then it would be repetitive and not as good. Then the difficulty is also all right.This game is, unlike what many say, a fantastic game. Maybe its sort. Nah. This game is 12-20 hours long if you count the coop. I completed games just as quickly and more costly. Plus for the game it is and the storyline its perfect. The only way they could make the game longer is way more test chambers. Then it would be repetitive and not as good. Then the difficulty is also all right. Not too hard not too easy. Players of the first Portal will find most of it easy but im sure VALVe will do something for us there. Coop is also very nice. There isn't a single chamber that you can solve alone. Maybe only one has to place Portals sometimes but your partner will need to do something else to clear a chamber. About the Store I have no problems with it. It doesn't affect game play after all. Plus im sure that is not the DLC VALVe was talking about. Im sure we will get more test chambers (especially for players of first Portal that taught that Portal 2 was easy) in the future for free. And don't forget we are still waiting for the SDK to make our own maps. The story is just comical and awesome. Plus a few plot twists here and there. I however give this 9/10 since they just had to give us TF2 Hats to ruin the art style... Expand
  74. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome sequel. Great new added physics items. Nice coop play extends the game in a new direction. Valve has always put out great games and has done the right thing for us, the customers. Worst part of the game are these whiny entitlement generation pricks. Ignoring them here and in RL is the best answer.
  75. Apr 20, 2011
    Here you have it. This game has a great chance of becoming the game of the year. The length of it isn't very impressive, but you know what I tend to say? Quality comes before quantity. And boy, if you knew the quality of this game.

First of all, the single-player can be finished in between five and ten hours, depending on how fast you go, if you stay to listen at the hilarious dialogue the game has, and how much of a genius you are. It doesn't have too much of replayability, but it's likely that you play it twice. I'm at my second playthrough as of now, and I'm still enjoying it.
    The second part of the game is my favourite one. The co-op. I have always said that co-op makes any game better, and that still stands. But what valve gave me exceeded my highest expectations. I couldn't go anywhere without my friend, I couldn't achieve anything at all. I needed him as much as he needed me. A lot, that is. I loved it.

With very loveable characters, a wonderful story and very original ideas, Valve once again shows us what they have to offer. And they only offer the best.
    So disregard the haters, and go buy the game. Because, you know what? Everything is fine here, Everything is more than fine.
  76. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in quite some time. I was a huge fan of the original Portal and have played through the campaign at least ten times through. I just finished the single-player story today and I could not be happier. The atmosphere and environments are wonderfully done, and will run well on plenty of machines (the game's engine is wonderfullyPortal 2 is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in quite some time. I was a huge fan of the original Portal and have played through the campaign at least ten times through. I just finished the single-player story today and I could not be happier. The atmosphere and environments are wonderfully done, and will run well on plenty of machines (the game's engine is wonderfully optimized). The new voice work by Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons, plus the return of Ellen McLaine as GLaDOS, is absolutely astounding and the dialogue is hilarious and entertaining. The story is full of unexpected (and quite enjoyable) twists and turns. Even if you have seen the end videos, you'll be completely thrown by the progression of the story at times. The promise of more thought-based puzzles and less "ninja-portal placement" is delivered for sure. And while I enjoyed it thoroughly, some people may miss the old "ninja portal" puzzles.

Co-op is wonderfully done as well. The ping tool is a marvelous tool that has infinite use, even when playing with microphone. The gesture system is fun and intuitive and hard not to play with. The story isn't as strong in co-op, but lots of funny dialogue remains. But this being coop, more focus is expected on the teamwork, and it's not to say story is neglected, just much less emphasized. That being said, the great atmospheres carry over, and co-op is tons of fun. For the Co-Op Bot Store, people need to realize that it's all cosmetic items. They're kinda pricey, yes, but it doesn't have any bearing on the gameplay at all, and many items are unlocked through achievements and gameplay itself. I only had a couple gripes with Portal 2, and they're minor at best:
    1) Loading screens galore in the test chamber levels. Perhaps they are the reason for the terrific engine performance, but I was taken aback by the number of load screens, even coming after very short sections.
    2) No "advanced map" section. I was really hoping to see the return of Challenge and Advanced maps like in Portal 1, as they offer a huge replay value. And although they are to be released in an upcoming DLC (which will be free), it was kind of a let down to see them missing from the games release.
    3) Some options, such as Portal Glow and Help Pop-ups aren't options accessible in the main menu, and must be accessed via the developers console.

All that in regards though, this is still a wonderfully made game, and is going to be a wildly entertaining experience for anyone who picks it up.
  77. Apr 20, 2011
    They aren't trolling.

They aren't trolling.

This may be hard to believe, but they are actually people on /v/ and abroad the internet who believe what they're saying when they write 0 star reviews complaining about minor things like a store for optional, cosmetic, (in-game unlockable) skins and hats for robots. The opinions you're seeing here aren't a result of a "raid" but rather some legitimately deluded individuals who are allowing themselves to see only the negative parts of an otherwise nearly flawless game.

I'm not going to come here to praise the game, if you want that then just go read a professional review. I'm instead going to address the particular "issues" that these certain individuals have had, and give my own responses.

The biggest issue people seem to be having is with the so-called "DLC Store". This was something first seen in Team Fortress 2, where it stirred up nearly as much controversy.
    I'm not going to say I agree with it, because I don't. I will not be buying anything from there, and I would have preferred if Valve had not included it. This is part of the reason that I'm giving the game a 9 instead of a perfect 10. However, its inclusion did nothing to ruin my enjoyment of the game. Some people have said "The game immediately tries to suck you in to the store, and constantly reminds you of it". Well, I'm sorry, you must have played a different version than I did because I wasn't even -aware- of the Store's existence until I beat the game and poked around the menus. The store might be a big deal for me if it was selling, say, maps, or different game modes, or anything that would actually impact the gameplay. But that's not the case; in fact the store sells cosmetic hats and skins for your robots in co-op mode, all of which can be unlocked simply by playing the co-op mode in the first place. The store is only going to appeal to people with a large amount of disposable income, a group which I (and likely most people playing this) am not a part of, and therefore am not in the least bit concerned amount.

The next complaint I've heard about most, is that the game is too short. That's closer to a fair argument, the game costs a full $49.99 on PC, which while not the price for your yearly Call of Duty title, is still a pretty hefty fee. But consider that I played the singleplayer campaign at a normal pace (that is, I explored every room, listened to all the dialogue, and got stuck once or twice on certain puzzles) and it took me exactly 6 hours in one sitting to beat it. That's not too long, but by the end of it I was getting pretty tired with the puzzles, if the game had dragged on for another 6 hours I probably would have gotten sick of it. Quality over quantity, my friends. I'd prefer 6 hours of exceptional entertainment over 12+ hours of mediocre, repetitive puzzles.
    Then there's the co-op campaign, which I have yet to play I must admit. However, from what I've heard it takes about the same length of time, depending on how skilled you and/or your partner are. So in total you're getting about 12 hours of unique content. That's longer than Half-Life 2, and nobody called that a short game. In fact, I think 6 hours is about as long as Half-Life 2 was for me.

Finally, the last major complaint is about the ARG and people feeling like they were cheated with the "early release" Okay, I'll kind of agree with this one. I haven't been following the ARG myself, I leave that to the Internet Detectives who actually comprehend decoding radio signals and all that stuff. So, I can't really comment on the quality of that particular issue.
    As for the Potato Sack debacle and the not-so-early release, well.. I half agree. First of all, nobody forced anybody to buy those games. As well, a lot of people are complaining that "all that hard work we put into those games didn't pay off!".... You're joking, right? Have we fallen so far as a civilization that -PLAYING VIDEO GAMES- is considered work? Are you serious? I can't even begin to take that criticism serious.
    What I can relate to, is the disappointment over the release date. I'll agree, Valve made it seem as though playing those games would give us a much earlier release, more on the manner of days than hours. So I can understand people feeling cheated after paying for the games mostly for the result of getting Portal 2 out early, and yet not getting it in return, or at least not to the extent that they wanted. I'm willing to give Valve the benefit of the doubt, that they thought GLaDOS@Home would fill up quicker than she did, and actually wanted the game to release a few days earlier, but, still. A little disappointing.

In summary, just play the damn campaign. It's miles better than the original, which was a solid A+ game. You don't need me to tell you this.

To /v/ in particular, listen: I understand that we're still on the hate bandwagon after Dragon Age II, but I'd expect more from my comrades. You're making us look bad.
  78. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic game, all that I expected and more. Finished both singleplayer and multiplayer, and both were tons of fun. Only thing missing are some bonus/challenge maps like the first game.
  79. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm glad to have purchased this game. Valve have stepped up to the challenge of making a follow-up to Portal, and have done exceptionally well. I got about 7 hours of play time our of my first run-through, and will be playing through again to pick up some achievements and find some easter-eggs that I may have missed on my first time through. As far as the DLC goes, I'm all for the DLC thatI'm glad to have purchased this game. Valve have stepped up to the challenge of making a follow-up to Portal, and have done exceptionally well. I got about 7 hours of play time our of my first run-through, and will be playing through again to pick up some achievements and find some easter-eggs that I may have missed on my first time through. As far as the DLC goes, I'm all for the DLC that doesn't affect my gameplay if I don't buy it. As I have a limited gaming budget, and can maybe buy three games a year, as opposed to the 4 or 5 a month some people seem to go through, I am firmly of the opinion that gameplay DLC should be free, or at least below my threshold of pain for entertainment purchases (about $5). As the current DLC store for Portal 2 is just cosmetic mods to player-characters, I have no problems with the way it's set up.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't see any of the advanced chambers from the promotional videos. I'll give it another playthrough and see if I just missed something.

All in all, well worth the $50 I spent on it. It'll satisfy my gaming itch for some time!
  80. Apr 20, 2011
    Although its not perfect, its the best game so far that has been released in the past 4 years (or ever?! :)). The improvements in the game are stand in good stead, but also are in case of necessity. Albeit I missed the generally aseptic and clean environmental mood this time, cause most of the levels were in the state of raunchy, due to catch up to the story's nature. Some of the newAlthough its not perfect, its the best game so far that has been released in the past 4 years (or ever?! :)). The improvements in the game are stand in good stead, but also are in case of necessity. Albeit I missed the generally aseptic and clean environmental mood this time, cause most of the levels were in the state of raunchy, due to catch up to the story's nature. Some of the new features are really interesting, and Im glad that Valve really did adopt some of the best ideas from the gamer ardent spirits, that have been counselled about the sequel in its forums, during the first games terms of office (Yess, I was a part of that :)!). But im still a bit confused about that they wanted at all hazard, to intensify all of the unique elements (like the cynic humour) of the predecessor with a bit too roughly style, and they sometimes slightly overshoot the mark a little. The another controvertible part was the barely outdated engine, although the graphics style fits to the game perfectly, ideas like this game is based on, relay deserve a bit more gloss, I would really like to see some improvement on the side of this from Valve in the near future! Oh, and yess Valve, we want the co-op to be expanded by new DLC maps too! Taking it all round, Portal 2 is one of the most outstanding, most extraordinary and intellectually challenging game I ever played with. For me its the must have category, just like its posterior will be (hopefully in a few years)! Expand
  81. Apr 21, 2011
    The reason there are so many negative reviews is probably because of the price of the game. Many people feel that given the short length of the game it should have been cheaper. Personally i think it's worth the price, it's as simple as that. If you think its worth it buy it but if u dont think its worth it then dont buy it. Expensive or not this is still a quality game which i can rankThe reason there are so many negative reviews is probably because of the price of the game. Many people feel that given the short length of the game it should have been cheaper. Personally i think it's worth the price, it's as simple as that. If you think its worth it buy it but if u dont think its worth it then dont buy it. Expensive or not this is still a quality game which i can rank higher than $60 dollar games. Also this is not a $60 dollar game i dont know where people got that figure from. Someone had the nerve to say "Poor level design, the levels are broken" This is just someone who lacks the mental capacity to solve these puzzles. The game is fun, not once was i bored during single player and coop is a real laugh. Also dont believe people who say they completed it in 3 hours. I'm pretty sure thats impossible without cheats of some kind. If you can solve each puzzle right away (which is extremely difficult) the game will still take u at least 5 hours. Personally i think the length of the single player is 5-7 hours and coop 3-5 hours. Also all the moan about DLC which is basically a few gimmicky items u can equip ur coop character with is ridiculous. They are releasing a level design kit down the road so expect custom maps too. In the UK its £30 on Steam. I'd personally recommend it. Expand
  82. Apr 21, 2011
    One of the best Games i ever played nice and hard levels . Nice ideas with the gel etc. and The best COOP game i ever played in my whole life. GOOD WORK VALVE .waiting for Portal 3^^
  83. Apr 21, 2011
    Amazing game, best 40 euros spend on video games in a long time. The single player is simply amazing. People might argue about how short the game actually is, but if you like to explore and get the full portal 2 experience, the singleplayer alone might take you upto 8 hours, and then there is still the co-op to explore which is also a full campaign. Graphics are top and the story also tiesAmazing game, best 40 euros spend on video games in a long time. The single player is simply amazing. People might argue about how short the game actually is, but if you like to explore and get the full portal 2 experience, the singleplayer alone might take you upto 8 hours, and then there is still the co-op to explore which is also a full campaign. Graphics are top and the story also ties in with the half life world! (Borealis hl2) Ofcourse people might be dissapointed if they followed the whole Potato ARG by valve and hoped that the game would release over the weekend, but giving this game a negative score is just overreacting. It's certainly one of the contestants for game of the year, and it doesnt deserve the bad scores like /v/ did earlier to dragon age 2. Expand
  84. Apr 21, 2011
    I absolutely loved this game. Everything from the graphics to the sarcastic humor of GlaDOS. No matter what the raging says, don't listen to them. This is a great game!
  85. Apr 21, 2011
    9/10 Great game, and well worth the wait.
    9/10 Great game, and well worth the wait.
    First off, everyone complaining that it isn't long enough needs to realize that people solve puzzles at different speeds. It seems like the average completion time for the single player is 5-7 hours and for co-op it is 2-3 hours. That makes the game about 7-10 hours long, which if you bought it for $40 for the 2 pack during pre-order, makes it well worth it. I can see why people who bought it for $50 might be kind of mad, but that is their problem for not splitting it with a friend. I'm also doing the dev commentary so that adds another chuck of play time.
    Regardless, the game is hilarious and looks beautiful. Didn't have any glitches or level design flaws so I don't know what other people are complaining about. The only thing that really makes me mad about the game is the dlc for co-op. All of those things should have come are rewards for achievements- not cost actual money. Really valve? Paying for gestures? I understand paying for new maps and campaigns, that makes perfect sense. But day 1 dlc makes me feel like it should be part of the game and that I'm getting ripped off. Plus only one other person at a time will see them so whats it matter anyway? This is why I'm docking off a point from a 10.
    Last thing is I miss the challenge maps, those add gameplay time and don't seem hard to make so I don't see why they weren't included. So I'm hoping this and REAL dlc gets added soon.
  86. Apr 21, 2011
    This is an amazing game. When I heard all these other reviewers complaining, I got scared that my pre-order went to waste. And boy, it didn't. This game is one of the best I've played in a while. The level design keeps you stumped at specific points due to puzzles that are actually difficult, not like lots of puzzle games where the difficulty in the puzzle is due to bad communicationThis is an amazing game. When I heard all these other reviewers complaining, I got scared that my pre-order went to waste. And boy, it didn't. This game is one of the best I've played in a while. The level design keeps you stumped at specific points due to puzzles that are actually difficult, not like lots of puzzle games where the difficulty in the puzzle is due to bad communication between the programmer and player. The dialogue, characters, and story is hilarious. There were points where I had to pause the game in order to control my laughter. I'd give this a ten, but there are large amounts of loading times which get annoying quickly. Overall, this game is outstanding. It's met ALL of my expectations for it. Expand
  87. Apr 21, 2011
    The whole experience of Portal 2 was unbelievable, and was gripping from the very start. There was also a huge difference in scale when put aside Portal: The rooms and areas are gigantic, there's a much more engaging story and generally, the game is much larger. Apart from this, the graphics are beautiful; unlike the white, sterile feel of the first, this features lush vegetation growingThe whole experience of Portal 2 was unbelievable, and was gripping from the very start. There was also a huge difference in scale when put aside Portal: The rooms and areas are gigantic, there's a much more engaging story and generally, the game is much larger. Apart from this, the graphics are beautiful; unlike the white, sterile feel of the first, this features lush vegetation growing in the labs, other natural elements, and creates a very interesting environment. Even better, it has mod support, so I'm keen to see what is created from it. Of course, the game is short, and there isn't much to go back for. However, it is unbelievably difficult to write something that keeps the audience as engaged and mind-blown as I was throughout the whole thing, especially given that there's only one path to take, and it has to feel natural for the gamer. I also think the length of the game is small for a reason, I'll put it this way: No one wants to watch a 20 hour long film... Also, I wouldn't listen to most of these negative comments, especially the ones which complain about the unlockable items from the store. These really shouldn't bother you, it's your choice whether to purchase them or not, since they have no effect on the gameplay whatsoever. Expand
  88. Apr 21, 2011
    A stunning experience. Ingeniously planned and beautifully crafted, Portal 2 captivated me from the first minute. Even though the difficulty is only slightly above average in general, I sometimes scratched my head in puzzlement because I overlooked the easier and more obvious solutions for some levels. The voice acting is superb, the hidden easter eggs worth looking for and he storylineA stunning experience. Ingeniously planned and beautifully crafted, Portal 2 captivated me from the first minute. Even though the difficulty is only slightly above average in general, I sometimes scratched my head in puzzlement because I overlooked the easier and more obvious solutions for some levels. The voice acting is superb, the hidden easter eggs worth looking for and he storyline stringent and refreshing.

This is a 10/10 game in my book. BUT since Valve decided to become a complete money-whore with A) the ridiculous potato-sack ARG , B) the price tag of 50 **** Euros and most of all C) the shameless introduction of the absolutely retarded In-Game-Shop (I should pay for skins and animations? Are you **** kidding me Valve?), I will have to deduct at least 1 point, because only one of those points actually relates to the game itself, the other two just make me angry *wrrrrrrrr*

Nine points then.
  89. Apr 21, 2011
    This was a great game, and if you took the buy 2 deal steam had going on, it only cost you 40 bucks split between friends. Now it only took me 12 hours total to complete the coop and single player campaign, but i enjoyed every second of it. The humor was supered, the coop made for excellent game play between me and my friend. I do fault valve for the pointless store, and the exorbitantThis was a great game, and if you took the buy 2 deal steam had going on, it only cost you 40 bucks split between friends. Now it only took me 12 hours total to complete the coop and single player campaign, but i enjoyed every second of it. The humor was supered, the coop made for excellent game play between me and my friend. I do fault valve for the pointless store, and the exorbitant amount of money little trinkets on your robots cost.They should've follow the tf2 model, and had there be random drops for completing levels or something akin to that, along with the store. The coop campaign is far too short for that crap to really matter anyways. Hopefully they add more levels to it, because as it is now, i probably wont play the game again for a long while. Expand
  90. Apr 21, 2011
    I've been playing video games for a long time. They used to have this amazing spark for me, something that went off inside. First game that ever did this for me: The Legend of Zelda. But, nowadays, not only do I know how games work, being an Indie Game Developer and all, but people so often cannot capture that same feeling I used to get from the Zelda franchise (which also might explainI've been playing video games for a long time. They used to have this amazing spark for me, something that went off inside. First game that ever did this for me: The Legend of Zelda. But, nowadays, not only do I know how games work, being an Indie Game Developer and all, but people so often cannot capture that same feeling I used to get from the Zelda franchise (which also might explain why I love Puzzle games so much). But, I just played Portal 2, and I felt that same spark I did so many years ago. It was almost nostalgic for me, but at the same time so new as well. It was absolutely like no game I have ever played, save for the original Portal, of course. But it was also so much better than the original as well. Actually, as soon as I had beaten Portal, I knew that if they ever released a sequel, that I would buy it, without a doubt. I would do the same if they ever released a Portal 3 as well. To start off, I'll tell you about the Multiplayer. It's mostly a really good experience, but only if you play it with a friend, and not a stranger. You play as two robots, Atlas, a shorter bot who's body looks like that of one of GLaDOS' cores, and P-body who's favors one of the turrets. Each player has their own set of Portals. Red and Orange, Blue (or purple, to me) and Light-blue. I only have a couple of gripes about it. One is that sometimes, I really don't want to do a gesture (gestures can be performed at anytime throughout co-op and some involve both players), and it can get vaguely annoying when my team-mate continuously performs them and I get forced into high-fives and such. But, that usually isn't too much of a problem. Throughout Co-operative play GLaDOS guides you once more, constantly noting on how horrible (and fat) humans are, among other well written and flavorful bits of dialogue. The puzzles themselves are quite nice, and get progressively more difficult, but never too difficult. Something that is even better in Co-op than in Single Player is the "AH-ha!" moment. (This is the moment of sudden realization when you've been working on a puzzle for a while) The reason this moment is heightened in multiplayer is that you get to experience it with a friend, and that's when the gestures are really the most fun to perform, in the excitement of having solved a puzzle. Also, my only other thing I didn't like about Co-op is that it was so terribly short. Only about 2-4 hours of game-play. I understand Valve's reasoning behind this, just testing the waters to see how Co-op would go over with the fans. I, personally say that, if Valve makes a Portal 3, Co-op campaign should definitely be just as long as Single Player. I'd like to point out at this time, if it wasn't apparent already, that Multiplayer Campaign and Single Player Campaign are totally separate in their story. Now, I'll carry on with the review of the Single Player.

Ah, Single Player. Truly the most amazing thing I've ever seen developed by Valve (And they've put out some pretty amazing games) and possibly one of the most amazing games I've ever seen. One the most amazing puzzle games I've ever played. First, you start off in your "suspension" room and are awakened for your "exercise" which consists of you looking up and down. Then, in an unspecified amount of time in the future, what seems to be many, many years later, you're awakened by the bot created to attend the humans in suspension, Wheatley. You're in a decrepit old Aperture that's obviously been out of commission for a long time. You make your way through the first few old test chambers from the original Portal. Your friendly - yet slightly moronic - companion leads you on up to GLaDOS' lair, in which a very terrible mishap transpires. As you traverse through the game, all of the characters are well written and unique, the puzzles intriguing, innovative, and fresh. The characters all have their own quirks that keep the game comedic to the perfect amount. The game doesn't drag things out or leave them too shortly. It builds upon ideas it puts in your head earlier on in the game to build on the puzzle solving aspects, and the story always keeps you wanting more. There are several jaw-dropping plot twists as well. All in all, one of the best games I have EVER played, and I suggest it to anybody who enjoys video games and good, well written comedy.

As a final note, I'd like to say that, even though the game was longer than the original, and I'm thankful for that, I still wish it had been just a little bit longer. And, that I think there should be a Portal 3, without a doubt. The only reason I put a 9 and not a 10 is because of the length of the game.
  91. Apr 21, 2011
    Great game; loved the single player story and am just starting multiplayer. As usual, another great game from Valve. I would have given it a 10 if the single player were a bit longer, but I'm not really sure how long the game could go on for without getting repetitive, or introducing too many elements. Perhaps it could be a little cheaper (like $30 maybe) to compensate for this. ButGreat game; loved the single player story and am just starting multiplayer. As usual, another great game from Valve. I would have given it a 10 if the single player were a bit longer, but I'm not really sure how long the game could go on for without getting repetitive, or introducing too many elements. Perhaps it could be a little cheaper (like $30 maybe) to compensate for this. But this is a review of how good of a game this is, not if it's pricing is appropriate. Overall, another great game from Valve. P.S. I don't see what the big deal is about there being hats available on the first day to purchase - I could see what people were complaining about if it was extra levels or something (though I still wouldn't agree), but it's purely cosmetic - you can still play the entire game without even noticing a difference without a hat. As another aside, it doesn't feel at all like a console port - no idea what people are talking about in reference to that. Expand
  92. Apr 21, 2011
    Most immersive best experience you will ever have playing a game.Im speaking for all crowds. Great Co-op, single player mode is hilarious, intuitive and solid. Recommended for everyone! Everyone likes cake right??

P.S. Trollers be trollin. DO NOT listen to the negative reviews of this game. If there is any exception of dismissing bad reviews for a game, now is the best time. If you dont want the DLC dont **** buy it. Does it really matter if this is mixed with the console port? Its still the same great game. 0 doesnt count as a legit review just because you decided you wanted to buy the potato sack (which was optional). Quit whining and enjoy what could be the best game of the year.
  93. Apr 22, 2011
    I think the users more critical than the critics. This game simple awesome. Funy, enjoyable, require some logic (if you play the firs time) but for me that's the best for in this game (not just "go over there and kill 10 marine"). This game get a lot of voite in here (over 1000 ...how many games have that many like this so fast after the release date?) and this is that game what winI think the users more critical than the critics. This game simple awesome. Funy, enjoyable, require some logic (if you play the firs time) but for me that's the best for in this game (not just "go over there and kill 10 marine"). This game get a lot of voite in here (over 1000 ...how many games have that many like this so fast after the release date?) and this is that game what win aganinst the CS:S and HL2 (The most waited and most played FPS game ever in Steam). Expand
  94. Apr 22, 2011
    Amazing soundtrack & Ambience tracks.
    Amazing and really personal gameplay.
    Amazing co-op mode with it's own campaign. Did i already say this game is amazing? Definetely Valves best game at the moment! Oh and a few words about the store. The items are all only cosmetic and, and in no way affect the gameplay. They're also 100% Optional. I'd understand all the whining about them if they
    Amazing soundtrack & Ambience tracks.
    Amazing and really personal gameplay.
    Amazing co-op mode with it's own campaign.

Did i already say this game is amazing?
    Definetely Valves best game at the moment!

Oh and a few words about the store. The items are all only cosmetic and, and in no way affect the gameplay. They're also 100% Optional. I'd understand all the whining about them if they were maps, or weapons..

And about the lenght of the game.. Singleplayer took me about 7 ½ hours with no breaks, multiplayer about 5. Steam said it only took me 6 to do both, so it's obviously not working. Oh, back on topic. This game is AMAZING and i feel like every penny that i paid for this was worth it!

A M A Z I N G.
  95. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a terrific game and a great example of how to do a sequel right.

Just finished the game last night, clocked in at roughly 10 hours of gameplay. That's shorter than I'd like, but it seems to be about average for a game these days. And I haven't even touched the co-op yet... So I'm thinking I got my money's worth. Of course the gameplay is based on puzzles, and the amount of
    Portal 2 is a terrific game and a great example of how to do a sequel right.

Of course the gameplay is based on puzzles, and the amount of time it takes you to finish will vary quite a bit depending on how quickly you solve those puzzles. I found the puzzles to be rather easy for the first half of the game... Didn't really get stumped until I wound up in the old laboratories playing with the various gels. So it's entirely possible you'll get more (or less) gameplay out of it.

The puzzle difficulty was pretty much spot-on for me. Far less of the twitchy puzzles that required lighting reflexes and good aim to drop a portal right where you needed it while sailing through the air. Less puzzles that required quick thinking under tight time constraints. More puzzles that allowed you to examine a situation and figure out the best solution on your own timetable. The puzzles were generally challenging. Generally required some thought. But weren't so frustrating that I wanted to rip my hair out. And, once they'd been solved, the solutions always made perfect sense.

The graphics are a terrific improvement over the first game. Not just in pure graphic quality, but in the way they're used. The upper reaches of Aperture Laboratories take on a personality of their own... The shifting panels become an extension of GLaDOS, and convey her emotions as you work your way through the test chambers. The contrast between the decaying test chambers in the beginning, then the well-maintained test chambers, then the abandoned chambers below, and finally the malfunctioning chambers at the end... It conveys a real sense of character. As if the facility itself is another character in the game. You can feel how Aperture Science has changed and grown over the years.

Of course you've got your ASHPD, and the portals it creates. And they still work the way you'd expect them to. But Portal 2 adds a few new twists to the old formula...

You've got "aerial faith plates" which act as catapults and launch you across the room... A new kind of block that allows you to re-direct the thermal discouragement beams... Repulsion gel, that works kind of like flubber and causes you to bounce high into the air... Propulsion gel speeds you up as you run across it... Conversion gel turns any surface into a portal-able surface... Excursion funnels, which act as a tunnel or conveyor belt... Light bridges, that do exactly what it says on the tin...

And all of these new toys are combined with your portals, to create some truly mind-bending puzzles and solutions.

Along the way you'll learn more about GLaDOS, and Aperture Science... You'll meet Wheatley, and hear from Cave Johnson himself. You get a peek behind the curtain, and get a good look at just what makes all these test chambers work the way they do. And, of course, you get insulted at just about every step of the way. The same dark humor that made the original Portal so much fun is back again.

There was an ARG that led up to the release of Portal 2... Some folks are counting that against Portal 2 in their reviews... I think that's a little silly. Give it a few months or years and nobody is even going to remember there was an ARG at all. What'll linger - what we paid good money for - is the Portal 2 game itself.

There is a cash DLC store in Portal 2, and it was there on launch day. In other games this might have annoyed me... If I pay $60 for a new game, I expect pretty much everything to be there on the disc. I don't want to go home and find out there's another mission or quest available if I spend another $5 here or $10 there. However, the DLC is all purely cosmetic stuff - hats and skins and gestures for the co-op. None of it actually adds to or changes the gameplay. So I'm not too worried about the DLC this time around.

All things considered, Portal 2 is at least as good as the original - if not better. Definitely an entertaining way to waste a few hours. Certainly worth the money I paid for it.
  96. Apr 22, 2011
    Its sad to know that probably that the game of the year already came out. Portal 2 is simply so far ahead in terms of originality, game design, story writing, characterization and level design than almost every other videogame out there that I am starting to think that it might be not worth my times to play games that are not made by Valve.
  97. Apr 22, 2011
    The hype surrounding Portal 2 has been large with the Augmented reality game that Valve launched receiving mixed reviews. However Portal 2 does not disappoint.

I am hailing Portal 2 as an almost perfect game. Lets cover the one tiny bad part about this game in my view...lack of replayability and even that is grasping at straws to find what is wrong with this great game. There has also

There has also been controversy surrounding the "Robot Enrichment" mode in which you can buy skins for your multiplayer co op robots to distinguish yourself even further away from others. Yes it costs to get these items but you unlock some items during play and if you wish to make yourself very different from most people online you should have to expect to pay a premium.

The story of Portal 2 is very solid very reminiscent of the first while expanding upon the narrative and not getting stale. Throughout the game you do visit different parts of Aperture Science that were constructed during different eras from the 1950's onwards until the modern test chambers that GLaDOS herself put you through. This offers a very pleasing aesthetic with the game mixing things up and keeping things fresh.

The voice acting is solid with many new characters introduced to superb effect which further enriches the comedy that the game delivers with great timing and with great effect.

You will be surprised in which directions the story goes. Without giving too much away you shouldn't be disappointed in the least. Naturally I have to give it a fair score and thus I have giving it a 9 because although it is very close to being perfect, itâ
  98. Apr 22, 2011
    The first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funnyThe first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funny ending music, once again made by Jonathan Coulton.The single player experience is a little bit short, something about six hours to finish, but the game has a coop experience, that makes the game even more funny and longer.Probably the best game of this year. Expand
  99. Apr 22, 2011
    While I am a hard-core portal fan, I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Also, I believe I managed to leave out any potential spoilers. I started playing Portal 2 with extremely high expectations, and these expectations were exceeded. Valve really revived the meaning of a "sequel." Portal 2 is not just Portal with a fresh coat of paint; it is an immersingWhile I am a hard-core portal fan, I will do my best to be as unbiased as possible in this review. Also, I believe I managed to leave out any potential spoilers. I started playing Portal 2 with extremely high expectations, and these expectations were exceeded. Valve really revived the meaning of a "sequel." Portal 2 is not just Portal with a fresh coat of paint; it is an immersing experience with a spot-on storyline that ties remarkably well into the original. I also have yet to experience any kind of bug of glitch, which is rare these days for games on launch days (*cough* Treyarch). GLaDOS' dialogue is better than ever - she retains her witty satire, while at the same time introduces an underlying cold tone to her speech. One thing I disliked about the first game was the monotonous sequence of one test chamber after another. Portal 2 is full of surprises and allows the gamer to become much more involved and wonder what will happen next. The introduction of new testing elements (e.g. repulsion/speed gel) adds a new dimension to progressing through some of the chambers. However, I did only get "stuck" in the campaign a few times, and after a little bit of thinking I always managed to figure out what to do. While this may be due to my decent past portal experience, or my aptitude for puzzle solving, it is of my opinion that the game may have been designed to be too catered to inexperienced players. Often it was too obvious how to solve the puzzles, and while the actual solutions may have yielded a feeling of success or intelligence, it was clear that figuring out the solution was not that complicated. For example, on many occasions I found out the correct portal placements just because there was no other place to put a portal. Also, while I really enjoyed the ending of the game, I was disappointed with the final encounter. It was too simple and in my opinion did not take advantage of the new elements of the game effectively. Addressing the length of the game briefly, I completed the game in roughly 7 hours. Keep in mind that this was a casual pace. While claims of beating the game in 4-6 hours may be true, I can assure you that if you progress at a leisurely pace and enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played, you will get a solid 7-9 hours out of the campaign. Despite my complaints, I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign of Portal 2. The co-op mode is a particularly interesting component, especially because I predict that more will be coming for it through DLC. Valve setup the co-op very well, including aiding tools such as countdown timers and portal markers, as well as including many hilarious comments from GLaDOS. There appears to be a greater range of difficulty here as well, and while I have not yet completed all of the co-op levels, things are beginning to get tricky. Still, my co-op partner and I feel that the chambers have been a bit on the easy side. We have only played co-op for about 2 hours (max) and yet only have one more chapter to go. However, it has been loads of fun and a great teamwork experience. Also, I have yet to play with a random person in co-op, but I imagine that this would be an interesting experience on its own; I don't know what it would be like to play with someone who is incompetent! But who knows, this could just make it more interesting and force the more experienced player into a leading role. I imagine (and am desperately hoping!) that DLC with arrive in the future. It seems like too much of an opportunity for Valve to pass up. I also predict map editing tools to allow for custom map building. For now though, we can only wait and see.

So those are just my thoughts on the game. I really struggled giving this game less than a 10, but unfortunately I just felt that the advanced Portal'ers were slightly shunned. Nevertheless, the game is well worth the $45 I spent on it, and have no regrets at all.
  100. Apr 22, 2011
    Not to sound too obvious here, but I think Valve improved on this game in almost every single area but two. The game is longer (though just by a bit), There are more physics elements to play with, The black humor is pretty funny, and most importantly, the character development is great. They really made GLaDOS come alive during her time as a [______], and her subsequent few minutesNot to sound too obvious here, but I think Valve improved on this game in almost every single area but two. The game is longer (though just by a bit), There are more physics elements to play with, The black humor is pretty funny, and most importantly, the character development is great. They really made GLaDOS come alive during her time as a [______], and her subsequent few minutes post-Wheatley. I thought the boss battle had a quirky, creative ending which made good use of chekhov's gun, and that the opera was a great touch. Now for the negatives:
    Unfortunately, Co-op seems to be too easy and too short. They could use more elaborate maps for co-op. Also, the credit reel song just isn't up to par with the original's song which we all know and love.

1. Pelit (Finland)