9.0

1. Apr 19, 2011
    The game so far has been great, I'm almost done with single player and it's met my expectations. People complaining about day 1 DLC, it's hats and skins for co-op and has no effect on game-play. If you don't like it don't buy it, it's not there for everyone. I'm looking forward to getting started on co-op.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Hands-down the best Valve game to-date. The experience is hilarious, suspenseful, perfectly paced and crafted. The graphics look and run superbly, and the world is gorgeous and intriguing. The story and its twists are incredible, and the characters are all flawless. Single-Player is less than 10 hours, which many will gripe about, but it was well worth the money.
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Ok this game it's all I've waiting for, and I'm sure truly fans will agree with me, and the co-op mode it's a nice and great bonus. Graphics are good, gameplay is as awesome as Portal was and I'm in love with the wonderful soundtrack, the VALVe team did a magnificent work there. Worth the buy nuff said.
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    trolls will be trolls. the microtransactions are OPTIONAL. The game thus far is the **** and if I choose to pay to customize my character, I don't mind that. IMO valve deserves my money, especially considering that in 1998 i bought a single game that brought me years of enjoyement (due to their mod community support). Without them there would not be a Counterstrike, or Team fortress, ortrolls will be trolls. the microtransactions are OPTIONAL. The game thus far is the **** and if I choose to pay to customize my character, I don't mind that. IMO valve deserves my money, especially considering that in 1998 i bought a single game that brought me years of enjoyement (due to their mod community support). Without them there would not be a Counterstrike, or Team fortress, or Portal/Portal2. Expand
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    My opinion for this game is it is a very great sequel, being a predecessor to its original game, (Portal). They have added many new types of mechanics and nifty things such as Repulsion Gel, Thermal Discouragement Beams, and many more. The story in my opinion is nothing short of just amazing. The difficulty is not to hard, but at the same time not to easy. my only complaint is it is aboutMy opinion for this game is it is a very great sequel, being a predecessor to its original game, (Portal). They have added many new types of mechanics and nifty things such as Repulsion Gel, Thermal Discouragement Beams, and many more. The story in my opinion is nothing short of just amazing. The difficulty is not to hard, but at the same time not to easy. my only complaint is it is about 8 hours long, but I assure you it will be the greatest 8 hours of your life. The also added a new multilayer option that you can play local or online. I have tried it out with a friend and it is fun, and also a bit more challenging the the single player. Overall a great game and if you have the money I suggest buying it Expand
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    I think this game is awesome. It's better than the first. The people hating on this game have no clue at all.

1.) The game took me about 7 - 10 hours to beat. I honestly was expecting just 4 hours and even if it was just 4 hours long, I would have been perfectly happy with that! I GOT MY $59.99 MONEY'S WORTH. The game does something that not many games can do. It kept me entertained though and through. Not once did I feel like the game was needless padding itself out, nor did I feel the "Come on. GET ON WITH IT." I felt with other games. (Like I did with games from the Halo, Gears of War and Call of Duty series)

2.) Those who are complaining about the DLC. First of all, it's COSMETIC. You do not have to buy it in order to enjoy the game. I didn't spend a single dime on it, and you know what... I STILL GOT MY $59.99 MONEYS WORTH FROM THIS GAME!

3.) Those who are complaining about the graphics being dated. Get a better computer! Seriously! If the textures and graphics look bad then you are playing the game on the lowest settings, because your computer cannot handle this game. Get a job, and build a better computer, or go play it on the consoles and STFU!

Valve. I applaud you guys for making this game and I really hope you make another portal game.... after you finish Half Life 3! XD

The developers did an excellent job and I give this game a 10/10.
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game, very well written, very well built. nice challenges, awesome graphics (especially that it's an old engine) , those bad reviews are just troll, not sure why they take on this game, it deserves its price. Valve > *
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a travesty. Not the game, these reviews. First of all, it's clear that nobody complaining about the "console ports" understands how the Source engine works. IT WAS WRITTEN FOR PC. The port was from the PC to the CONSOLES. Not the other way around. It's stupidity bordering on malice to claim that. Stupidity being 'not understanding the Source engine, and not thinking to look it up'This is a travesty. Not the game, these reviews. First of all, it's clear that nobody complaining about the "console ports" understands how the Source engine works. IT WAS WRITTEN FOR PC. The port was from the PC to the CONSOLES. Not the other way around. It's stupidity bordering on malice to claim that. Stupidity being 'not understanding the Source engine, and not thinking to look it up' and malice being astroturfers, or people trying to sink the game. Valve probably overlooked some of the menu text, hidden in a little translatable text file somewhere.

Second, who does this in 4 hours? I'm a competent FPS gamer, and I did it in 6. This is what they said it would take. But I rushed a little. If I did it again, I'd spend more time looking around and listening to dialogue, but that's because I'm looking to have fun. I missed whole hidden areas in the first game that I found later. And I'll be able to play the *other half of the game* (another 6 hours) with my friends over the next few days. Then I'll replay the one-player now that I can focus on the world and story - much like I did with Portal 1.

The gameplay is entirely different. The gels, funnels, and bridges almost entirely change the way you think about modifying the game world, in the same way the portals did in the original game. Again, to claim otherwise suggests that somebody either didn't play the game or is trying to sink it.

Do I think the store is stupid? Sure, that's why I won't buy anything from it. If it really bothered me, I wouldn't play with anybody who did - but I'm not a braying jackass, so I'll just not sweat it. You're welcome to, though, and the store is limited to stickers and hats and that sort of thing - so what's the big deal?

Come on everyone. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    I found the first half of the game even better than the original, but the second half just blew my mind. Quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Took me about 8.5 hours for the single player game with only a few pauses when stumped, so don't put much stock in reviews that say 3-4 hours. There is obviously some kind of coordinated effort to discredit the game, but you're seriouslyI found the first half of the game even better than the original, but the second half just blew my mind. Quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Took me about 8.5 hours for the single player game with only a few pauses when stumped, so don't put much stock in reviews that say 3-4 hours. There is obviously some kind of coordinated effort to discredit the game, but you're seriously missing out if you don't play it for yourself. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is amazing, another valve classic. It is better than the first one, don't know why people say it is not, more puzzles and longer game with more story = better in my book. The dialogs in the game are really funny and make the adventure really enjoyable along with the awesome BGM.

Don't pay attention to the moronic reviews from a bunch of haters who only came to spam, this game is great and no amount of hate is gonna change that.

There's some debate going about some hat store or something, but I really don't a crap about hats and if they are in there well cool for those who do like them, I'm busy having fun playing the game instead of giving a hoot about an in-game store.

So go buy it, what are you waiting for?!
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    Best game of the year. The ending was beautiful and the game ran perfectly on my laptop when tf2 doesn't even run that well. The DLC is fine lets you do what you want to your character without affecting game play but maybe this will show how little people will care about the DLC but what ever.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    Witty writing, an environment that is both consistent with the original yet interesting and new. It's a sequel, so it won't be the same unexpected revelatory experience of the first game. Instead, it delivers exactly what a fan of the first game could expect, and in greater quantities, and in a more polished package. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  13. Apr 29, 2011
    absolutely awesome everyone must buy! best game out on ps3 this year! 'nuf said.. to begin with the story is all u'd expect from valve with quirky humour and great writing, the puzzles are hard and the multiplayer is awesome. what is not to like? this game is a MUST BUY, it is absolutely awesome!!!! :)
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    It's pretty awesome. My only complaint is that the price is high for how short it is, but.. it surpassed Portal 1 and became my new favorite game. I would have paid more.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    The greatest game I have ever played. It is worth my money, it is not 4 hours long (unless you are ultra smart)
    this is my all around favorite game. I am just reviewing singleplayer but, playing singleplayer was the most satisfying gaming experience I have ever played.
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Now, this game is a piece of art, I can't understand why people are disagreeing on the marketing and lowering the score just for this, the thing is: Portal 2 is a very, VERY, good game, it will probably get the GOTY easily, if another contender won't appear. And honestly, the soundtrack is good, the outro is good too, why are people hating?
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    This is, by far, the most polished game I have ever played. I can't even imagine how much prime content was cut out of the prerelease copies to leave the pristine diamond-sharp game of Portal 2.

The writing, the audio, the dynamic sound effects - they are all absolutely perfect! I finished the single player campaign in about 12 hours over the last two days. I've only spent about 20 minutes in multiplayer but I can't wait to spend more! A perfect 10.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Just finished this game, and it is honestly one of the most atmospheric and rewarding games that I have ever played. I understand that the humor may not find an audience for some people, even though it is quite lighthearted despite being somewhat "dark." The writing is very clever and Valve melds in multiple seemingly standard tropes into an quirky, unique product. The game really shinesJust finished this game, and it is honestly one of the most atmospheric and rewarding games that I have ever played. I understand that the humor may not find an audience for some people, even though it is quite lighthearted despite being somewhat "dark." The writing is very clever and Valve melds in multiple seemingly standard tropes into an quirky, unique product. The game really shines in terms of overall polish; glancing at the environment just supports this overall perspective that this game is complete and that all the puzzles were thoroughly mapped and designed in a way that can sometimes be challenging, but not impossible, and extremely rewarding. Valve took a lot of the same puzzle mechanics from the first game and expanded on them. The graphics themselves are sort of dated, but Valve more than makes up for this by having an art style that is distinct and engaging.

Honestly, if you're looking for a game that is evidently polished and, although short, redeems itself by being just plain satisfying: Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    Very enjoyable. The game looks extremely nice and runs smoothly. Extremely funny characters and brilliant voice acting. Love this game. The price is perfect. Co-op is extremely fun with friends or random people. I found many lovely random people that were nice and had good humor. The Campaign and Co-op are over 10 hours and with hopefully some mods a lot more time. The story line made meVery enjoyable. The game looks extremely nice and runs smoothly. Extremely funny characters and brilliant voice acting. Love this game. The price is perfect. Co-op is extremely fun with friends or random people. I found many lovely random people that were nice and had good humor. The Campaign and Co-op are over 10 hours and with hopefully some mods a lot more time. The story line made me laugh and throughly enjoyed it. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is amazing plain and simple. The arguments of those who rated the game 1 and 0 make no sense In the actual context of the game. Short gameplay seems to be the main problem, but if you blitz through the puzzles, you will be missing half the game such as the excellent voiceacting and beautiful scenery. The point is to take the game slow and let yourself be immersed in it, not justPortal 2 is amazing plain and simple. The arguments of those who rated the game 1 and 0 make no sense In the actual context of the game. Short gameplay seems to be the main problem, but if you blitz through the puzzles, you will be missing half the game such as the excellent voiceacting and beautiful scenery. The point is to take the game slow and let yourself be immersed in it, not just run through the puzzles. The graphics are brilliant for a 7 year old engine and though the dlc and the potato thing was disappointing, the actual game itself is close to flawless. Expand
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    I gave Portal 2 for the PC a perfect score because I really cannot find anything wrong with it, and I sincerely feel that it is just THAT good. Portal 2 maintains the elements of game-play that made the original Portal such a great game; but at the same time it adds a new "feel" to the game that definitely out does its predecessor. The addition of other elements being incorporated intoI gave Portal 2 for the PC a perfect score because I really cannot find anything wrong with it, and I sincerely feel that it is just THAT good. Portal 2 maintains the elements of game-play that made the original Portal such a great game; but at the same time it adds a new "feel" to the game that definitely out does its predecessor. The addition of other elements being incorporated into the puzzles (ex. the different goos) definitely gives the game a new flair that expands the style its puzzles. The single player campaign took me about 6-7 hours to complete, and the entire time I never wanted to stop. The game really expands though when you get into the co-op modes. I believe that there are about 86? puzzles that you can do with a partner, and I would highly suggest playing with a friend, or someone you know. Expand
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    This game far surpasses the first portal and is the most fun I have had from a video game in a long time. While everyone else is churning out repetitive realistic war shooters Valve is innovating and bringing genuine fun back to PC gaming. The DLC complaints are unwarranted. The DLC is in no way a necessary part of the game(just cosmetic addons and gestures for multiplayer) and so far isThis game far surpasses the first portal and is the most fun I have had from a video game in a long time. While everyone else is churning out repetitive realistic war shooters Valve is innovating and bringing genuine fun back to PC gaming. The DLC complaints are unwarranted. The DLC is in no way a necessary part of the game(just cosmetic addons and gestures for multiplayer) and so far is 100% unlockable. Expand
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    this is my first review on metacritic.
    since there is a lot of troll screwing with this user score im gonna post 10. but honestly this game is a solid 9.
    this is my first review on metacritic.
    is one of the best game i have played this year. is a strong rival for goty. the source engine an engine from a game for 2004 is still one of the best looking engine. the game has so many great moments. the humor is so great. valve always succeed doing funny lines on their games. sorry the bad english. the game took me about 8 hour to finish and i did not get stuck at any puzzle more then 10 minutes.

the coop is fantastic. one of the best coop experience since i can remember. feels like real cooperation.

overall. great game. you can not miss.
    sorry my bad english. :^P
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is an awesome game. Everything it did good in the first one it does even better here.
    some people complain that its short ( 5 hrs ), and rate it down for that. But a game that is so fking good that you wish it was longer. thats something good?;) And after that 5 hrs you even have another 5 hrs of co-op ! A Perfect Game. 10/10
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of those rare games that makes its predecessor completely obsolete. There are more puzzles, more characters, better graphics and sound, more variables in the puzzles, and a surprising story that went above and beyond my expectations. Unfortunately, once youâ
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    I give this game a 10/10 for two reasons:

I give this game a 10/10 for two reasons:

a) To offset the idiots who are giving it a 0/10 because it has a bunch of completely optional DLC that isn't necessary at all and will not benefit your gaming experience unless you feel you need new skins and expressions. Also to offset the ones who have clearly not played the game. If you say it lasts 3 hours you're simply wrong, among my friends, many of whom are experienced gamers, not one has completed the campaign, nor has one logged less than 4 hours. Talking to other people who have played, I am 3.5 hours in and a bit over half way done. Maybe if you power through every puzzle and never stop to enjoy the game you could finish in 5-6 hours, but 3 is absurd. 9 seems to be the most reasonable estimate.

b) Because it's a fantastic game. The level design is simply put brilliant, and as with the original the writing is razor sharp. They took the already fantastic concepts seen in Portal and expanded them in every way possible. All the tiny tweaks they've made here and there serve to make one of the finest games we've seen in years. And something I didn't expect at all: a good backstory! As opposed to Portal, which posed a bunch of questions but gave literally no answers whatsoever, Portal 2 seeks to reveal the past of Aperture Science and go much deeper into the psyche of everyone involved. There are more characters, more ways to beat a level, more variety (particularly regarding environments)... I could keep going on and on, but simply put, this game is fantastic. A masterpiece side with the critics on this one, not the users, the majority of them have not even played it or have insignificant gripes with it.
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    This game was nothing short of amazing. Worth every penny and every hour of waiting. Not only has Valve outdone themselves with amazingly smooth animation and amazing map design, they have also put in both challenging and simple maps to appeal to both types of players. After completion of the amazingly written single player campaign, I was nothing short of stunned. Luckily I wasn't stunnedThis game was nothing short of amazing. Worth every penny and every hour of waiting. Not only has Valve outdone themselves with amazingly smooth animation and amazing map design, they have also put in both challenging and simple maps to appeal to both types of players. After completion of the amazingly written single player campaign, I was nothing short of stunned. Luckily I wasn't stunned enough to miss the request from a good buddy to play some of the Co-op levels! The Co-op is also amazing, Valve really did an excellent job of breathing life into the two slabs of metal (Atlas and P-body) and helping them portray proper emotions. All in all I give this game a 10/10, though if possible I would give it a 100/10. (P.S: to xbox players crying about how PS3 users got a free PC copy and you didn't, that's because Microsoft didn't want the steam platform on their device, while sony accepted it with open arms.) (P.P.S: Seriously? You guys are letting an in game store and item system affect your rating? You'll only be playing with your friends. No "Trading servers" or anything. You also are not forced to buy ANYTHING at all.) Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    Anyone giving this game anything less than an 8 is a troll, or was extremely confused about the early release project. The mentioning of minigames have nothing to do with the actual game play of Portal 2. I have had nothing but extreme satisfaction with my play through so far, and look forward to moving on to co-op.
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great sequel for Portal. Nice graphics, good story, and awesome gameplay. The new test chambers are challenging and fun at the same time. Its definitely worth it's price.
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    The singleplayer in Portal 2 was like its predecessor, a very well written story, hilarious moments, and tricky test chambers. The environment has changed a bit, and new features has been added to the chambers, for example lasers. If you're decent at solving the puzzles, you'll complete the game in a matter of hours. What I personally have not tried is the co-op mode, but from what I takeThe singleplayer in Portal 2 was like its predecessor, a very well written story, hilarious moments, and tricky test chambers. The environment has changed a bit, and new features has been added to the chambers, for example lasers. If you're decent at solving the puzzles, you'll complete the game in a matter of hours. What I personally have not tried is the co-op mode, but from what I take it enriches the game even more. I only detected a few minor glitches, mostly graphical, but that was a rarity. I believe Portal 2 is one of the most polished games I've tried this year. I recommend buying it, especially if you have played Portal 1. I'm giving it a 10 out of 10 for the story, gameplay, graphics, music and sound. Expand
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm one of those people that absolutely zombie out in front of the television and computer, almost emotionless despite what I'm watching or playing. The funniest sitcoms and stand up shows, the most intense sequences and I may have changed my expression once. I jumped into Portal two and I was laughing out loud in the first 5 minutes. I have never had a better time playing a game, II'm one of those people that absolutely zombie out in front of the television and computer, almost emotionless despite what I'm watching or playing. The funniest sitcoms and stand up shows, the most intense sequences and I may have changed my expression once. I jumped into Portal two and I was laughing out loud in the first 5 minutes. I have never had a better time playing a game, I laughed, was (legitimately) afraid, and cried on the elevator ride to the surface. (absolutely the most intense thing Valve has ever done)

Those who want to argue that it was too short, or the DLC is a scam: What ever happened to quality of entertainment? I was more entertained in the first hour of this game than the many hours I put into playing Mass Effect (2) (even though thats comparing potatos to lemons.) No replay value? There's plenty of hidden content throughout the game that will most likely have gone undiscovered during the first playthrough, achievements and developer commentary had me scrambling back into it only an hour after I beat it the first time. Unless you're a hardcore puzzle-solver genius the game will take you at least 6 hours the first time, with developer commentary and hidden areas it will probably take a bit longer than that your second time. (even if you already know how to solve the puzzles) THEN there's the co-op mode which I have yet to play but people claim its at least another 5 hours. As for the DLC, its completely cosmetic. If you don't want to pay for silly hats or gestures then don't. If you disagree with this then hold it against VALVE not the game itself.
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    I havn't completed the game yet as i only had chance to have a quick play last night (about 2 hours worth) and i have to say it's already brilliant. Stephen Merchant and GlaDos make amazing comedy and obviously the portal gameplay is as good and better than the first. Am still yet to try multiplayer but from what I've played so far it's definitly a 10/10 game.
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    Loved it.
    They kept the humor and style of Portal but created a more plot centric game that doesn't fail to give you a great experience. It's a 6-7 hour game that is thoroughly enjoyable.
    The loading screens break the flow a little but that is my only complaint. Well worth $50 (especially in Australia)
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    I can confidently say that this is the best portal game to date... seriously.
    Having just finished the single-player (~6 hours, found hardly any hidden easter eggs), I can say there is the right mix of just about everything in this game. Humour, story, visuals, puzzles, difficulty, length... all just right. I can't wait to start the co-op.
    And for those whingeing few: the "day 1 DLC"
    I can confidently say that this is the best portal game to date... seriously.
    And for those whingeing few: the "day 1 DLC" consists of a bunch of useless skins and whatnot for your co-op character. This game ships complete. Any "DLC" is completely unnecessary and thus you must rely on your self-restraint to not buy anything. Just like the potato sack. No one forced you to buy it. Personally, I had already bought the potato sack, before the portal 2 ARG started. They are a bunch of awesome indie games and I was more happy to shell out the $38 (which is only $2.90 per game for chrissake!). If you are unhappy with the results of the ARG, you have no-one to blame but yourself. In other words, suck it up.
  35. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game.

8 hours of single player
    4 hours of co op
    stunning graphics
    many easter eggs to be found. funny as hell

if you say other wise go have some Deadly Nerotoxin already.
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    I was actually shocked when I read some of the bad reviews on here. It would appear that they are the kind of people who think Call of Duty is the example of a good game. Fantastic story, singleplayer campaign, the updated source engine looks brilliant, like a good book, I simply could not put this game down. I managed to complete it by literally not stepping out of my office until I hadI was actually shocked when I read some of the bad reviews on here. It would appear that they are the kind of people who think Call of Duty is the example of a good game. Fantastic story, singleplayer campaign, the updated source engine looks brilliant, like a good book, I simply could not put this game down. I managed to complete it by literally not stepping out of my office until I had completed it. I managed to complete SP + Co-op with a friend in about 12 hours. 10am - 10pm. My only "complaint" is that the ending didn't really provide the satisfaction I was looking for. Yet the experience throughout was fantastic.

If you're not into first person action puzzle games, don't buy this. Unless you're in it just for the fantastic story and characters.
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    Great Story, Great Puzzle!
    The new gel and laser are really fun to play with. The co-op mode is super fun to play with a firend. Wow!
    Worth every penny!
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    Can't say I've finished the game yet so maybe I shouldn't post here, but I don't care. Everything I've experienced within the first few hours simply astounds me - as a gamer this is the type of game I long for, deep, involving and innovating. Portal 2 may only build up on the original, however, it does it in such a way as to be judged an outright masterpiece - the original Portal nowCan't say I've finished the game yet so maybe I shouldn't post here, but I don't care. Everything I've experienced within the first few hours simply astounds me - as a gamer this is the type of game I long for, deep, involving and innovating. Portal 2 may only build up on the original, however, it does it in such a way as to be judged an outright masterpiece - the original Portal now merely seems like a 'warm-up gig'.

Put it this way - you can tell the devs at Valve had fun making this game, and their hard work and effort truely shows.

There are some comments on here about consolification - ignore them. The ARG may not have been to everybody's taste, but this is Valve and they do things differently. They set an example to the many other PC devs out there who have sold out to the console crowds, the example being that if you truely support your fans - you will be rewarded.

Thank you Valve.
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    A great game, definitely one of Valve's best yet. It takes a perfect, short experimental game and makes it into a full game, which may not be as perfect but has much bigger scope. Also, this is NOT a console port. Console ports do not have quicksave, developer console and advanced graphics options (see Crysis 2).
  40. Apr 24, 2011
    If you're someone who measures a game's worth primarily by it's playtime, Portal 2 may be a bit disappointing to you. However, this is typically not how most media (film, music, books, etc.) is judged - you won't find the New York Times scoring an excellent film lower just because it has a shorter run time than another potentially not-as-good film, and ticket prices are almost neverIf you're someone who measures a game's worth primarily by it's playtime, Portal 2 may be a bit disappointing to you. However, this is typically not how most media (film, music, books, etc.) is judged - you won't find the New York Times scoring an excellent film lower just because it has a shorter run time than another potentially not-as-good film, and ticket prices are almost never factored into film reviews (except for the case of 3D, which is another story.) I think we can all agree that movies as well as video games are overpriced, regardless of how good they are.

So, ignoring all other factors, I feel that Portal 2 is easily one of the best games on the market today, and an experience no gamer (or person, for that matter,) should miss. Every bit of this game, from start to finish, is polished, well thought out, surprising in it's plot and ever changing gameplay, and, simply put, fun and entertaining. I personally felt that, for a game such as this, the length was perfect - the game took what Portal 1 did and expanded upon all elements in such a way that somehow makes the first, once thought of a revolutionary, now seem primitive.

When you get right down to it, I'd much rather pay $50 for a slightly shorter but much higher quality product, than for a game that is lesser in quality but much longer due to repetitive gameplay. I guess it's up to you.
  41. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game. Just as the first was slick and well scripted, this has added layers to the game that you pass through with surprise and gratitude. Loading points are a little frequent to begin but make a great change over point between friends. The store feature is pointless, but with the sales figures they get I'm sure they won't repeat it. So 12 -2 =10
  42. Apr 20, 2011
    There is only one word to describe this game...AMAZING! Ignore all of the bad things people have been saying about this game. You shouldn't write a review about what comes with the game you should write the review based on the game play alone. With that being said this game is an absolute blast to play and all of the in game voice acting is hilarious!
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is pretty much a decent sequel.The length of the game is short but with the co-op mode i can enjoy for a few month.To be honest,i don't give a **** if you trolls like "ValveSucks" who dedicate his life to trolling valve.I can bet you trolls cant even make a game better then portal 2.
  44. Apr 20, 2011
    The audacity of the people who posted 0 score reviews and claimed that the game is four hours long is simply flabbergasting. I joined simply to refute the idiocy that is the claim that this game isn't everything any sane person expected and more. Valve stated that the game was approximately twice as long in both co-op and single player modes, and that is absolutely accurate. Steam hasThe audacity of the people who posted 0 score reviews and claimed that the game is four hours long is simply flabbergasting. I joined simply to refute the idiocy that is the claim that this game isn't everything any sane person expected and more. Valve stated that the game was approximately twice as long in both co-op and single player modes, and that is absolutely accurate. Steam has recorded my time spent playing Portal 2 at 18 hours, during which I beat the single player and multiplayer, and went back through the beginning of the single player since I rushed my way through and wanted to hear the optional comments by Stephen Merchant as Wheatley. The claims that the writing is shallow and predictable seem like they must have come from someone playing a different game. Even knowing the lines that were about to be uttered on my second run through the first hour or so of the game I couldn't help but literally laugh out loud. I stayed up until the game released and played for about eight hours, before I needed to get some sleep. I probably put another two in the morning to complete the game, although admittedly I did get stuck on what turned out to be relatively simple puzzles once I got to the Repulsion Gel phase of testing. A lot of people seem to have gotten bent out of shape because of the Valve ARG, and while I'll admit that I had hoped for Portal 2 to come about earlier than it did, Valve's being excellent viral marketers certainly benefited the developers of a number of indie titles. I myself put a great many hours logged in (and even some playing) to the potato pack games that I owned to try to help the cause. However, anyone who bought these games purely because they wanted to play Portal 2 sooner and not because they were a collection of enjoyable indie titles clearly makes poor choices. The people who contributed a lot to the Valve ARG got to play Portal early, and some of them were even given the Valve complete pack. Valve never told anyone anything that was less than truthful about the ARG. And while I do feel it a bit odd to have been trolled by a company that's known to be one of the more trustworthy in the industry it's hardly the tragic knife in the back some people are making it out to be. There is potato related humor in Portal 2, and while I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, to me it made up for the feelings of annoyance I felt at the ARG having been, more or less, a waste of time. But apparently a number of people have decided come around and blatantly lie about Portal 2 as some sort of retribution for feeling slighted is laughable at best. I have very little doubt that the trolls flaming Portal 2 by and large haven't even purchased the title.

Some few people may not appreciate the writing, or gameplay, of Portal 2. Those people, clearly, must not have enjoyed Portal because they're undeniably quite similar in those aspects. While the new gameplay elements do require a bit of thought, and perhaps make certain areas of the game slightly more frustrating until you have the epiphany required to pass the stages, there's nothing akin to the ridiculous timing based momentum puzzles near the end of Portal. There's nothing quite like the payoff when you realize what you were overlooking, whether it's a button or application of one of the new gameplay elements that hadn't crossed your mind. While I can certainly understand that not everyone finds puzzle games to be enjoyable, I don't really grasp why these people seem to have flocked to Portal 2 in droves.

A lot of people are whining and crying that they can't fist pump or facepalm or whatever, or that they can't make use of some of the more ridiculous costume pieces without purchasing "85 dollars of DLC" (which can be purchased in it's entirety for 35 dollars if anyone were of a mind to do such a thing) These skins and items are almost certainly unlockable, although I can only speak toward having unlocked the companion cube beanie and flag through achievements. There are 16 achievements I haven't unlocked, and it's quite likely a number of them have bot gear associated with them. The "DLC" isn't really even content, it's the equivalent of the Mann-Co store in Team Fortress 2. The interesting thing to note there, is Valve hasn't maintained any sort of monopoly on the hats and such available through the Mann-Co store, third party designers have made tens of thousands of dollars selling their own creations, and I doubt Valve has any intention of keeping people from offering their own goods in the Bot Enhancement Center.

I just want to close by saying, I haven't laughed so hard or enjoyed a game more in a long time. Portal 2 is going to take up more of my time before I've gotten it out of my system, and there will certainly be map packs released by fans that till pull me back in much as the Portal Flash version map pack, and Gamma Energy did for Portal.
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    The first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowingThe first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowing me to play with some of my Playstation 3 buds. Brilliant from start to finish. Expand
  46. Apr 20, 2011
    I love Portal and Portal 2 is even better. I canâ
  47. Apr 20, 2011
    10 out of 10, all of the complaints I've seen are ridiculous! This was honestly better than I thought it would be. So many of the complaints are about these other games that you had the option of buying, which I didn't, and things like long load times, which I also didn't have... don't blame Valve that you couldn't be bothered buying a functional computer..
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    BEST GAME EVER !!

Seriously, most of the negative "comments" are just "trolls". This game is amazing, innovative to the core, funny as, and definitely not some console port. Sure it may not be the most challenging game, given it's nature as being a puzzle game, if valve had made the game too hard most casual players would probably give up from frustration and annoyance, it is balance
    BEST GAME EVER !!

Seriously, most of the negative "comments" are just "trolls".

This game is amazing, innovative to the core, funny as, and definitely not some console port. Sure it may not be the most challenging game, given it's nature as being a puzzle game, if valve had made the game too hard most casual players would probably give up from frustration and annoyance, it is balance between being easy and hard.

Voice acting is this game is simply outstanding, the gameplay has turned a small concept into a full out game, and the story is complete. This game is a must have for any gamer.
  49. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply notAmazing game, really loved it! Where the first Portal could get a bit boring and repetetive from time to time, Portal 2 keeps you on edge right 'till the last second of the credits! A lot of variation and interesting new techniques coupled with probably the best voice acting ever in a PC game make this a must-have! Graphics are amazing, everything simply looks great. There's simply not anything negative I can find. It's extremely fun to play, and extremely fun to replay. Expand
  50. Apr 20, 2011
    from the valve stable comes another epic game after years of waiting, the game is simply mind blowing if you like puzzle based games this game is highly recommended, although the source engine is starting to show its age the game environment is awesome, the humor , sound and music effect are amazingly enjoyable, the co op is good wish there was more game-play, in all a must play valve gamefrom the valve stable comes another epic game after years of waiting, the game is simply mind blowing if you like puzzle based games this game is highly recommended, although the source engine is starting to show its age the game environment is awesome, the humor , sound and music effect are amazingly enjoyable, the co op is good wish there was more game-play, in all a must play valve game the game runs smoothly with no issues Expand
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    Very familiar, and yet that's a very good thing. It was exactly what I expected: a fleshing out of the promise of the first game with more shine, more (excellent) dialog, more puzzles. While 10 hours isn't the longest I've ever spent completing a game; it was 10 of the best hours I've ever spent with a game...and that has to count for something. An excellent effort from Valve.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    Full disclaimer: I'm only about an hour in, but I've already realized that Portal 2 is everything that was great about the first game and then some. It's got incredible dialogue, challening puzzles and a certain charm to it that just isn't found in a lot of other games. Yes, the graphics aren't the selling point here (what Valve game sells itself on graphics anyway) but the gameplay isFull disclaimer: I'm only about an hour in, but I've already realized that Portal 2 is everything that was great about the first game and then some. It's got incredible dialogue, challening puzzles and a certain charm to it that just isn't found in a lot of other games. Yes, the graphics aren't the selling point here (what Valve game sells itself on graphics anyway) but the gameplay is phenomenal. Highly recommended for fans of the puzzle genre. Expand
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    A fantastic game. The complaints about DLC is completely unwarranted given that the DLC is for goodies that in no way affect gameplay (unless you count your character having weird hats as crucial to complete puzzles). The graphics aren't the best out there but 1) it wasn't advertised to be a graphical beast 2) what they did with it was create a rich environment that you could go around andA fantastic game. The complaints about DLC is completely unwarranted given that the DLC is for goodies that in no way affect gameplay (unless you count your character having weird hats as crucial to complete puzzles). The graphics aren't the best out there but 1) it wasn't advertised to be a graphical beast 2) what they did with it was create a rich environment that you could go around and look at the various details. As many people have pointed out already, if you liked Portal, you'll really like Portal 2. If you haven't played portal, it's pretty cheap now so go play it. If you're all huffed up about the potato sack / ARG stuff you didn't have to do it. You didn't have to buy anything you didn't want to. Go find a site that reviews gaming companies and vent there. Expand
  54. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game that is worth every penny! While it may not be perfect it is yet another great game by Valve.
    The story is great and the robots' personalities are more interesting the those of the humans in other games.
    Along with a really fun coop. This game is well worth the money. I do not understand how people can whine at Valve about the "DLC", it's not DLC since it does not

Along with a really fun coop. This game is well worth the money.

I do not understand how people can whine at Valve about the "DLC", it's not DLC since it does not actually affect the gameplay. It's merely a cosmetic item applied to your characters head, for fun. That's it and nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Valve said that Portal 2 is probably their best game. And it really shows.
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    I finished the game this morning and let me say this, Portal 2 is a masterpiece! One of the best games to come out this year. I have also played several of the co-op challenges with friends and they are some of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in the past year. And to all the morons who gave this a '0 out of 10' rating, I will explain this to you slowly so that your tiny minds canI finished the game this morning and let me say this, Portal 2 is a masterpiece! One of the best games to come out this year. I have also played several of the co-op challenges with friends and they are some of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in the past year. And to all the morons who gave this a '0 out of 10' rating, I will explain this to you slowly so that your tiny minds can follow: You don't have to pay for the extra co-op items you get them for FREE as you play through the co-op game. Get it? FREE. F R E E ! ! If you are on the fence about purchasing this game, I hope you realize that the negative reviews on this site, for this game, are only due to the fact that the Internet doesn't restrict access based upon IQ test results. Expand
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    I finished Portal 2 in about 5.5 hours, experienced Portal players will probably take lesser time. However, the entire single-player mode is quite awesome and the puzzles entertaining. The story line, voice acting, etc. are brilliant (needless to say) and they complement the well-balanced gameplay.
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    To all these users saying the game is 4 hours, IT'S FALSE. I rushed a fair amount-I mean I listened to all the dialogue, but I didnâ
  58. Apr 20, 2011
    A very satisfying experience, regardless of the length (which of course will vary from person to person). Also I've strong reasons to believe that there will be more free content provided as in the case of L4D series..
  59. Apr 21, 2011
    Great puzzle game and great characters. It took me about 8 hours to beat the single player story and I didn't really get stuck anywhere. The puzzles are generally pretty easy if you're familiar with the mindset of how a portal works from the first game. They did introduce some new mechanics with "gels" which stick to surfaces and have modify the surfaces to have special properties. IfGreat puzzle game and great characters. It took me about 8 hours to beat the single player story and I didn't really get stuck anywhere. The puzzles are generally pretty easy if you're familiar with the mindset of how a portal works from the first game. They did introduce some new mechanics with "gels" which stick to surfaces and have modify the surfaces to have special properties. If you're wary of the $49.99 price tag (Steam) because you've never played portal before, I'd suggest picking up the Portal 1 first. If you have played the first portal, I suspect you'll have a similar opinion as you did for the first one because it plays almost the same. I haven't played the co-op mode yet (and probably won't), but the single-player story might get one more playthrough. Also Stephen Merchant is hilarious. Expand
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    Mindbending puzzles, brilliantly funny and sometimes bizarrely thought provoking script, incredible haunted post-pre-dystopian atmosphere (somehow!), amazing soundtrack, excellent visuals (that run on highest settings on my 3 year old machine).... what's missing? Too short maybe? Well, I haven't even started the co-op and I really can't wait to do that, so no. Thank you Valve.
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    This seems to be one of those games where either you hate it for inexplicable reasons and can't understand why everybody is so enthusiastic or you're so bloody enthusiastic that it's quite *obviously* game of the year, if not the decade. Just take a look at Metacritic and compare it to comments on, say, Rock Paper Shotgun articles about Portal 2. Best advice, if you enjoyed Portal, thenThis seems to be one of those games where either you hate it for inexplicable reasons and can't understand why everybody is so enthusiastic or you're so bloody enthusiastic that it's quite *obviously* game of the year, if not the decade. Just take a look at Metacritic and compare it to comments on, say, Rock Paper Shotgun articles about Portal 2. Best advice, if you enjoyed Portal, then buy it and make your own opinion. In two weeks, we'll still be arguing over whether it's actually a good game or whether Valve is trying to gouge us with "Day 1 DLC" and we *still* won't be getting anywhere. Have fun trying to make a balanced opinion about the game in that atmosphere, whether in two weeks, a month, or three. If you never played Portal ... then buy Portal. It's cheap and it will give you an idea of what the game is about. You can then decide on that basis whether to buy Portal 2 or not. Either you're interested in a sequel after playing it or you aren't ... simple. I bought Portal 2 on the merits of Portal, not because of all the hype and tra la la. Personally, I believe it was worth the money, but that's just me.

Because of the above and because of the widespread griping about the game, I don't care to tell you what the game was like. Pay heed to my above advice or ignore the game and keep playing whatever you were playing. It doesn't matter. It's just a game.

Addendum: Please try to ignore reviews which start with "storyline was great, concept was good" then proceed to give the product a 0/10 because of, frankly, nonsensical reasons. I don't know what people were expecting. Portal 2 is the sequel to Portal. If people were unaware of this, then it isn't the fault of the game. It's the fault of unrealistic expectations, as is the case in many aspects of the gaming industry. 0/10 says nothing about a game. It doesn't even reflect the "storyline was great, concept was good" portion of a review which then names one or two other *negative* points which might or not be justified.
  62. Apr 20, 2011
    Yes, it is short, but it is oh so sweet. If you're expecting a single player experience that will take weeks to complete, then you will be disappointed and/or feel short changed. However personally, I think Portal 2 is a little piece of gaming perfection and worth every penny.

While other games can feel clunky or confusing, everything here feels so simple and effortless in its execution. Considering the potential complexity of the physics based puzzles, this is even more impressive. In terms of sheer quality, I can't think of a game than can hold a candle to Portal 2 (Possibly HL2), and like fine dining, you expect to pay more for quality than you would for quantity (i.e $10 all you can eat buffet).
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    VALVe delivers one of its greatest masterpieces in Portal 2. 8 hours of solid gameplay in the single player followed by several more in a completely different co-op story make it a lot longer than the first Portal, and new features with further ways to complete tests, as well as a witty GLaDOS and Wheatley, make me reward VALVe with a 10.
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is absolutely awesome. Portal 1 was a magnificent game and I thought that Valve won't be able to make anything better. Now I know that I was wrong. Portal 2 has everything that Portal 1 had, but more of it and in better form. And the ending is just, just, just... (I really can't find better word) EPIC! Come one Valve, just take my money ;)
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    I actually agree that the ARG promotion was a bit lame if your only interest was Portal 2, but if you enjoy playing indie games, it offered a great deal on many solid titles and gave them some free press, which is not something intelligent gamers will complain about.

The DLC is not a factor at all. For one thing, the XBOX version which I purchased doesn't have any DLC, and even if it did, as I understand it offers nothing that I would feel even the slightest bit compelled to purchase. It's ignorant to resent Valve for taking the money of people who are willing to give it to them simply because you're not willing. Get a job, kids...or stop wanting silly hats.

As for the actual merits of the game, so far it's got everything I loved about the original, but more and better. The difficulty of the first 4 hours could be increased somewhat, but I suspect that's only because I enjoyed the first game so thoroughly that it has made "portalthinking" more natural for me. For a new player, the difficulty is likely spot on.

As for the length, I'm 4.5 hours into single player mode and I've only had any significant delays in one room which left me somewhat stumped for no more than 10 minutes. If anyone is clearing it in 4 hours or less, they already know the solutions to all the rooms and are simply sprinting thru each level without taking time to actually look around or listen to dialogue. Besides, if the game actually deserved a 0 rating, "too short" wouldn't be a flaw; it would be a blessing.
  66. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is definitely Valve's best game up to date! The game is absolutely brilliant. The level design is a lot better than in portal 1. The graphics are great and the gameplay is just superb. Nobody should miss it. Too bad of all the trolls and haters. It's definitely not a console port, like most of them try to make you believe. It took me about 7 hours to complete the single-player andPortal 2 is definitely Valve's best game up to date! The game is absolutely brilliant. The level design is a lot better than in portal 1. The graphics are great and the gameplay is just superb. Nobody should miss it. Too bad of all the trolls and haters. It's definitely not a console port, like most of them try to make you believe. It took me about 7 hours to complete the single-player and i've still got to play the co-op. DLC? There is no DLC! It's a shop with items items to for the co-op characters, nothing that affects gameplay in any way. Expand
  67. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is the perfect sequel to a much beloved game. Valve has built and expanded upon what made Portal such a great experience. The added puzzle elements get you to think in new ways. The music is an experience all in it self, I will be getting a soundtrack asap. The script has the same dark sense of humor that made Portal such a comical joy to play. I have heard complaints aboutPortal 2 is the perfect sequel to a much beloved game. Valve has built and expanded upon what made Portal such a great experience. The added puzzle elements get you to think in new ways. The music is an experience all in it self, I will be getting a soundtrack asap. The script has the same dark sense of humor that made Portal such a comical joy to play. I have heard complaints about the length of the game. Portal 2 is NOT a 4 hour game, I have heard an average of 6 - 8 hours plus the co-op which should add an extra 3 -4 hours that is at least on par with most action games I have played. The quality of the game is outstanding and I think people have lost a appreciation for quality and instead are judging games on $ to gameplay ratio. If we are going to start doing this everybody may as well just stop buying games and play WOW. Expand
  68. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply put... best game this year by far! All these people who are complaining about "single player is 4 hours and I'm bored now," get some friends with the game and play co-op. Amazingly more difficult then single player and a lot more fun. The only down side to the whole game is the store to buy more outfits, gestures and other things is lame... you are not Zynga, you're Valve!!!Simply put... best game this year by far! All these people who are complaining about "single player is 4 hours and I'm bored now," get some friends with the game and play co-op. Amazingly more difficult then single player and a lot more fun. The only down side to the whole game is the store to buy more outfits, gestures and other things is lame... you are not Zynga, you're Valve!!! Amazing graphics and really fun. Love the computer too in co-op... it tells you that "...the other guy is dragging you down..." while your friend gets some random message... very smart and funny. All your games need this co-op experience. Lastly... Great game again! Expand
  69. Apr 20, 2011
    A great sequel. Is challenging and fun. Just when you think single player is over, it continues and gets even better. The new repulsion gel adds a whole new level of difficulty and fun.
  70. mch
    Apr 20, 2011
    Too many haters and trolls around here. Don't like [purely cosmetic] DLC? Don't buy it. Didn't like the Potato Sack indie game promotion? Shouldn't have dished out the money for something that clearly wasn't going to affect the release date all that much.

The game is great, had me laughing and smiling ear-to-ear during my very first session. Puzzles are still challenging. As good as the original, with more content.
  71. Apr 20, 2011
    The best Valve game that I have played so far. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time.
    Well paced, good story, great atmosphere. Even the somewhat short length of 4 hours didn't detract too much from the game because of how well everything flowed.
    The puzzles could have been harder, and the linearity, at times, was frustrating, but overall a great game and definitely one worth the money I invested in it.
  72. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game, great graphics. Well Worth it. Enjoyed it very much!~
    Don't get why people are **** about DLC. It's not necassary, and especially not necessary to base the game's review over such a retarded point.
  73. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply put, this game is excellent and exactly what was promised. The original Portal made us think about our games in a new way. This game doesn't aim to do the same, but to build on this framework and bring it up to the next level. The Portal universe has been expanded and refined to create a much longer and richly storied world than its predecessor. There are a lot of complaintsSimply put, this game is excellent and exactly what was promised. The original Portal made us think about our games in a new way. This game doesn't aim to do the same, but to build on this framework and bring it up to the next level. The Portal universe has been expanded and refined to create a much longer and richly storied world than its predecessor. There are a lot of complaints being lobbed (like you might a potato!) at Valve and most of them are just plain unreasonable and unjustified.

The game is very well paced and seems similar in length to any other FPS style game. As of writing this I'm about 4 hours in and I would be shocked if everything gets wrapped up in the next 30 minutes to an hour of playtime. Anyone finishing it in 4 hours is truly not paying any attention to the absolutely stunning world the game takes place in. There are countless hidden areas to find and the care and love that went into building this expanded universe is obvious.

The pre-launch campaign was brilliant and funny (and completely optional). Many of complaining that they wasted their time and money to only expedite the launch by a few hours. The full retail value of the Potato Sack on Steam was nearly $200 and you were able to buy it for less than a quarter of that. I already own several of the games but I jumped on that deal solely for what it was: a great deal for a bunch of great games. Not to mention you are supporting small and indie developers with your purchase. As for the time wasted playing the games to speed up the launch: We were helping to reboot Glados, did you honestly expect her to keep her word entirely? [This is probably one of the best and most widely executed April Fool's jokes I've seen and I loved it]

Day 1 DLC - Is entirely cosmetic for co-op mode. Again, if you don't want it then don't buy it. Valve is simply supplying a subset of their customer base with things they love... Hats! I don't see how people can be angry about this, how is it any different than buying hats for Team Fortress 2?

Who cares if this is a console port? I'm running the game on max settings. It looks gorgeous and plays like a dream. If it is a console port then every other company that tries to port to a PC needs to talk to Valve and figure out how to do it this well.

The bottom line is that this is an amazing next step in the evolution of the Portal universe. The game play is smart, the world is beautiful, the dialogue is funny and amazingly voiced. I won't go so far as to say this is the best game ever, but it is a great game. Valve as always delivers an incredibly well polished game that meets or exceeds expectations on every level. I strongly urge you to pick up this title. Enjoy the scenery, the dialogue and the experience. You won't be disappointed.
  74. Apr 20, 2011
    For the record, the "Day 1 DLC" functions in exactly the same fashion as the Mann Co. Store in TF2. You can still get all of the products through achievements or at random. Is it an attempt to cash in on people's laziness? Yes. Does it change the game at all for people willing to work for it? No. With that addressed, the single player is significantly better than the first portal, but I'mFor the record, the "Day 1 DLC" functions in exactly the same fashion as the Mann Co. Store in TF2. You can still get all of the products through achievements or at random. Is it an attempt to cash in on people's laziness? Yes. Does it change the game at all for people willing to work for it? No. With that addressed, the single player is significantly better than the first portal, but I'm disappointed they have not yet included "challenge" levels. Still, Valve managed to replicate the same sense of wonder that they did in the first. A must play. Expand
  75. Apr 20, 2011
    Ok, i'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible:
    1) everyone giving this game a low score is a troll, don't listen to them.
    2) graphics are amazing 3) sound design is the best i've seen in a while 4) campaign is short, but has so much gameplay packed into it 5) co-op is amazingly fun 6) end credits song = best credits ever 7) it is a HILLARIOUS game 8) directed to the troll
    Ok, i'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible:
    1) everyone giving this game a low score is a troll, don't listen to them.
    2) graphics are amazing
    3) sound design is the best i've seen in a while
    4) campaign is short, but has so much gameplay packed into it
    5) co-op is amazingly fun
    6) end credits song = best credits ever
    7) it is a HILLARIOUS game
    8) directed to the troll reviewers out there. if you don't want to pay to customise your robot, then don't customise your robot.
  76. Apr 20, 2011
    This is the best game I have ever played. It replaces my original choice for shadow of the colossus. Full of clever levels, humor, and hidden messages, I had way to much fun. I never give games perfect scores, but this game deserves it fully, and it deserves GOTY for the next 10 years!
  77. Apr 20, 2011
    Once again Valve has created a great game. Once again many of its "fans" are whiny and dont understand the concept of the game. If you dont like the game because it is only 6-8 hours long singleplayer and you cant find a friend to co-op with, or because you genuinely dont like the amazing voice acting, or the graphics (that while not top of the line, are not bad either.) then thatOnce again Valve has created a great game. Once again many of its "fans" are whiny and dont understand the concept of the game. If you dont like the game because it is only 6-8 hours long singleplayer and you cant find a friend to co-op with, or because you genuinely dont like the amazing voice acting, or the graphics (that while not top of the line, are not bad either.) then that is fine. But dont like to other fans. Expand
  78. Apr 20, 2011
    Wonderful story, beautiful dialog, stunning gameplay. It all adds up to be a perfect game, because of one small small detail.

The store. Unless valve have big plans for new Co-Op maps and features the shop serves little purpose. However as with TF2 (to start with) the cosmetic addons serve no purpose than making you look stupid. This game is one of my all time favourites, and it only

The store.

This game is one of my all time favourites, and it only game out yesterday! I'm in love. Will be playing many more times. I would give the game 98% or a 10/10
  79. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is amazing. Great story, great humour, fantastic visuals (even more so considering the age of the Source engine) and all in all, pretty much perfect. My only problem was the number of loading screens. I would've preferred loading to happen in the lifts with amusing commentary to keep me company, but whatever.

Now, on to those so called issues people are giving the game low scores

Now, on to those so called issues people are giving the game low scores for: - Day 1 DLC? So what? It's totally non-essential and A BIT OF FUN in what is a LIGHT HEARTED COMEDY game. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't complain. Idiot. - Short game? Took me around 7 - 8 hours. I didn't treat it as a race so I could brag to people how much of a geek I am. I took in all the lines of dialogue and did some exploration. Only about 3 of the puzzles really challenged me, but they were mostly down to me overcomplicating things in my head. - The ARG/Potatosack/early release really have NOTHING to do with the game. If all that was a problem for you, take it up with Valve.

BUY THIS GAME.
  80. Apr 20, 2011
    It seems that nearly all of the reviews that rate Portal 2 a 0-3 quote that the game only lasts 4 hours. This is an inaccurate report, these reviewers must be trolls and these reviews should be removed from Metacritic's Portal 2 review sight.
  81. Apr 20, 2011
    I'd like to preface by saying, I have been reading reviews on here ever since steam started including a metacritic score, and lead me to this site. That being said, I have read plenty of reviews on this website prior to almost all my purchases (excluding some preorders that have recently been very hit and miss). The most miserable thing is to read all these reviews, and see about 90% ofI'd like to preface by saying, I have been reading reviews on here ever since steam started including a metacritic score, and lead me to this site. That being said, I have read plenty of reviews on this website prior to almost all my purchases (excluding some preorders that have recently been very hit and miss). The most miserable thing is to read all these reviews, and see about 90% of the posts come from accounts that were just created, and have only 1 review done, and it of course is Portal 2. There are plenty of these accounts made for spamming going around, but DA2 and Portal2 have definitely brought out the worst in blanketing reviews.

The one thing I would urgently stress for readers, is to realize there is an extreme amount of exaggeration for reviews here. With that "disclaimer" aside, I think this game has been great, and I have yet to explore multiplayer. I'm about 90% of the way through the game, and it plays out tremendously. Its single player campaign on average is shorter than most, but is much more engaged than any I have come across in quite some time. The dialogue, the voice acting, the environment, the humor, it all plays a huge roll by taking you into the world and making this game almost feel like an interactive movie. I understand many games try to do the same thing with cinematics and such, but you feel engrossed the entire time. The puzzles are definitely there, and in greater number which is always a plus.

Closing: So many critics here reference the first in the series. So, if you enjoyed Portal, and loved the world that it was, its a no brainer that you should pick this title up. If you have not played the first one, try it out and that will be a determining factor to whether or not you would be willing to spend 50$+ on similar, but very enhanced content.
  82. Apr 20, 2011
    FIRSTLY THIS GAME IS AWESOME! I have played the first and the humor and atmosphere is just the perfect mix for some of the best game play ever. I would recommend you read more reviews and get a more non-subjective view as many people are unhappy about certain reasons and taking it out on the game which is a bit unfair. It deserves a 10 and will get one from me.

I know valve did

I know valve did disappoint with the ARG which I might add I participated a lot of time to, but I have to admit it was the only reason I purchased the p0tat0 sack games, of which I have absolutely have no regrets about. The games are worth the money and very fun and I would not have purchased otherwise which is why valve did it (also the money before you criticise me) and I am glad they did it! SO THANKS VALVE FOR THAT OPPORTUNITY! Some games need a bit of support and valve took the initiative in their marketing, albeit they should have explained at least a little with regards to the ARG.

Regarding the DLC, they are SKINS and SUCH are for the robots and not games extensions of any sort!!!!!!!!! So please leave them out of you STUPID reviews! BTW when did the game say MULTIPLAYER at any point? CO-OP game-play is what they said and what it is, this is not a CoD game people please.

Also the game does not take 4 hours to finish which some other silly people have wrote about, it takes over 6 hours+ first play though depending on your skill and intelligence but STEAM is not recording the time properly as mine says 91 minutes where as another program (Raptr) says I have played 7 hours worth ATM, more if you soak up the environment and generally enjoy the game and not just rush through everything like some people.

Also some people are just displeased they could not play the game early and also regarding the price which is area related as the UK price with 20% off was only 24.00 pounds so about $39ish, so do not blame valve for pricing when it is usually dealt with by retailers also valve has to hike prices on the on-line service otherwise it would suffer competition issues with governments!

This is an excellent game and deserves a bit more respect from the non-gamers and people who are just generally critical about anything and everything.
  83. Apr 20, 2011
    First of all I would like to make it clear to those who aren't sure, yes you do HAVE to play Portal before Portal 2! it continues the story and further explores the unique universe introduced in the first game, if you skip it not only do you deny yourself the full dramatic effect of Portal 2, but also COMPLETELY ruin the first game and it's amazing plot twists. Portal 1 is amazing, a greatFirst of all I would like to make it clear to those who aren't sure, yes you do HAVE to play Portal before Portal 2! it continues the story and further explores the unique universe introduced in the first game, if you skip it not only do you deny yourself the full dramatic effect of Portal 2, but also COMPLETELY ruin the first game and it's amazing plot twists. Portal 1 is amazing, a great introduction to portal mechanics, very short, very cheap and lots of people on Steam have gift copies anyway â Expand
  84. Apr 20, 2011
    I felt the need to make an account to say that despite what all the crazies say, this game is phenomenal. I haven't made it all the way through yet and it's already worth the 60 bucks I shelled out for it. The game is beautiful, the story intriguing, and the writing is leaps and bounds better than in the original. It's a game far better than I had imagined, and the expectations were high.I felt the need to make an account to say that despite what all the crazies say, this game is phenomenal. I haven't made it all the way through yet and it's already worth the 60 bucks I shelled out for it. The game is beautiful, the story intriguing, and the writing is leaps and bounds better than in the original. It's a game far better than I had imagined, and the expectations were high. High five, Portal 2. Expand
  85. Apr 20, 2011
    It's a shame a few people who have obviously never played the game that decided to troll have reduced this games score. But the fact that it's still got so many positive reviews shows how many people have enjoyed this game.

True there may be some people who expected the game to be longer, but I think the length is just right. Unless your racing through the game you wont complete it in 4 hours. Hell, I bet you couldn't even if you did race through, so far most people seem to complete it in about 6-8 hours. That's just the single player, the Co-op campaign is all original too and adds around 5 hours of content, or so I've heard, although I've not completed that yet.

The 'dlc' people complain about are all cosmetic and don't effect game play at all, I might be bothered if they were selling extra maps on there on day 1, but they aren't. I bet no one would have minded if these things were never available at all anyway. I sure wouldn't care, but good on Valve if they can make some extra money out of dumb asses. More money to make great games, they are a business at the end of the day. It's not effecting me and the majority of other players, so why complain?

I enjoyed every second of the Single player, there was no need for it to be longer, it would only be more of the same mechanics. They paced the introduction of all of the new mechanics nicely so the gameplay didn't become stale at all. I loved the story, especially the dialogue which was hilarious at times and kept me interested the whole way.
  86. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is an excellent sequel to the already excellent original version. Even though the start was kind of confusing at first, I quickly rolled into the story and got dragged along with it in all its amazing plot-twists and hilarious dialogues. I finished the single-player mode and I have yet to play co-op but I can already say it is truly amazing.
  87. Apr 20, 2011
    This is everything I hoped it would be; the story pulls you along, the characters and dialogue shine, and the puzzles are tremendous fun to work out. Some of them are easy, others challenging.

I haven't finished the game, so I can't speak to its length, but I've put in a solid 4 or 5 hours and I'd guess I'm at the 1/2 point or so. I haven't played the coop yet, but I'm excited to check it out. As a disclaimer, I should point out that I didn't not participate in the controversial ARG, and I doubt I will even look at any skin-related DLC. I imagine much of the controversy on the quality of this game has to do with expectations about early release through buying the bundle. As to the perception that it is a console port, let me make it clear that I have little stomach for console first-person games (I don't own a console, though I do have a 360 controller for my pc for platformers and a few good 3rd person games). I have suffered at the hands of more than a few half-assed console ports (GTA 3 and Deux Ex 2, to name a few) and this has none of that. I would argue that some of the console-induced features, like careful labelling of control instructions, is a good thing and makes the game more fun to play. If you're reading reviews to decide whether to get the game, maybe you should play a friends' copy first. I think that anyone who really enjoyed the first game will find this one satisfying.
  88. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is totally awesome! It's been a loooong time (quoting GlaDOS) since I've played such a great game. It surely doesn't deserve the negative reviews that trollers are giving it. And the end, OMG - it's just perfect. I mean, everybody already knew it was gonna be like this, right? It's Valve. Expand
  89. Apr 20, 2011
    After playing the single player campaign I must say One of the funniest games i have ever played. The story is hilarious and the voice acting is some of the best work i have seen. The puzzles are difficult but ramp up nicely so that your not discouraged. Amazing visuals. A thrill and a joy to play. This is a must buy.
  90. Apr 20, 2011
    The narrative, art, music, and most of all gameplay are top tier stuff, as to be expected from Valve. The game is incredibly polished, the story is subtle, not shoved in your face, but there for you to decode to and piece together - a massive part of the fun of the game is reading signs on the walls, or listening to pre-recorded announcements by a certain Cave Johnson. the depth is insane,The narrative, art, music, and most of all gameplay are top tier stuff, as to be expected from Valve. The game is incredibly polished, the story is subtle, not shoved in your face, but there for you to decode to and piece together - a massive part of the fun of the game is reading signs on the walls, or listening to pre-recorded announcements by a certain Cave Johnson. the depth is insane, the art and level direction is masterful. The humour is spot-on, the puzzles aren't too easy but aren't impossibly hard, either. Portal 2 is to Portal 1 what Assassin's Creed 2 was to Assassin's Creed 2. Taking what was essentially an unpolished, short tech demo and game engine and creating a masterpiece out of it. At the end of Portal 2, despite the game not being the longest out there or the fact that it only has 3 characters including the mute protagonist, I felt as if I'd been on an epic journey, and the sense of relief at the end of the game was an incredible rush, something few games can offer.

Portal 2 is a game of brilliance and uniqueness you will not experience with anything else in the video game medium.
  91. Apr 20, 2011
    The single player portion was fantastic. But to my surprise the co-op us where this game shines. I could have never imagined that playing portal with 2 people would be so fun.
  92. Apr 20, 2011
    I've never written a review for a game but Portal 2 compels me to. This game is perfect. It is shorter than average. It reminds me how much fun games in this medium can be. It does not waste my time. Some people are upset by this.
  93. Apr 20, 2011
    Love every minute! Multi-player is brilliant!

I have no idea why some people her give the game so much hate. Its a full price title and its worth it.
    For me, so far the game of the year.
  94. Apr 20, 2011
    Briliant game, perfect in almost every way. Great story, characters, design and visuals. I really don't get all the ranting. Let me address the issues:
    1. Game is 4 hours short - now how is that even possible? The game took me 7,5 hours to beat and I was not once stopped on a difficult puzzle...and that is only single-player.
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are
    2. Day 1 DLC - none of this dlc "extends" gameplay. They are just a set of optional hats and gestures. And honestly, if anyone is stupig enough to pay real money for a stupid hat in a game, then that's their problem. Also they are unlockable within the game. Valve never made a payed DLC that was an extension for a game. All updates for TF2 were free, all campaigns for L4D were free. So most likely any extensions for Portal 2 will also be free...
    3. No replay value - really? I assume they got all the achievements, found all the secrets, marvelled at every detail on their first game...good job. I played through Portal 1 at least 4 times and every time it was incredible fun. After beating Portal 2 I got an imidiate urge to play through it again.
    Great game, totally worth the 50$. Really, don't listen to the rants and low scores.
  95. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply Valve's best game ever with brilliant humor and intelligent awesome gameplay. Thanks Valve for making me happy with this secound part of Portal. Even the Coop is awesome which I first had some doubts. Expand
  96. Apr 20, 2011
    Ignore the negative comments. The game is Portal 1 + A ton of new stuff and multilayer. Need I say more? Wait, I will. I've logged 16 hours in Portal 1 and beat it about 5 times during that time frame (I also did the challenge modes). However, I've logged almost as much time (13 hours) in Portal 2. During that I've beaten the single-player campaign and multi-player campaign once each. TheIgnore the negative comments. The game is Portal 1 + A ton of new stuff and multilayer. Need I say more? Wait, I will. I've logged 16 hours in Portal 1 and beat it about 5 times during that time frame (I also did the challenge modes). However, I've logged almost as much time (13 hours) in Portal 2. During that I've beaten the single-player campaign and multi-player campaign once each. The game as a whole is much longer than Portal 1. It's worth the $50 you pay for it. Expand
  97. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some blingAwesome sequel to a great game. Funny all the people complaining about the game being short when its not, I guess they are mad because they have no friends to play co-op with? That alone would double or triple the playtime. DLC? Its a choice, you either want it or you don't it gives you no competitive edge in the game... so why all the QQ? Just don't buy it if you can't afford some bling for your robot. Over all, this game is funny, original, and the standard for this type of puzzle game. Sure some of the problems are easy to solve but they don't need to crush peoples spirits to keep the trolls happy with uber hard genius level puzzles do they? I'll likely play this game over and over with my friends and I'd love to play it at some LAN events! Keep it up Valve! :) Expand
  98. Apr 20, 2011
    It's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make youIt's rather disgusting that people are downrating this game so hard. It's at least three times longer than the original, includes a ton more voice acting, all of which is hilarious. The visuals are vastly improved as well as the music and sounds. There's so many more tests to run which have many more mechanics to learn and master. Some of these you pick up right away while others make you stop and think (while being mocked by the excellent AI's). The entire story, even if attempting to blaze through the game would take 4 hours AT BEST. I ran through it casually in a little over 6 and still feel like I might have missed out on some things. There's a load of new achievements as well that require a fair amount of skill to complete which adds another level of depth to the game, let alone the multiplayer.

If you liked Portal, this game is worth the 45$ on Steam. If you're paying more than that for the game, then it's your problem for not buying it cheaper. It improves and expands on every aspect of the original. People that are all ruffled over the ARG and Potato Sack need to move along, neither of those should affect the rating of the game itself. As an aside, the ARG was all about generating hype (which it did very well, imo) and the Potato Sack supported a load of indie games at a massive discount that I also felt was well worth it.
  99. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority ofSimply stunning, anyone complaining about consolification because of a few minor bugs that will no doubt be soon fixed, is actually doing the PC gaming industry more harm than good. It actually has bigger levels, better graphics and more effects than the last game - no sign of consolification there. This game is far more creative, funny and intellectually demanding than the majority of other games out there - this is a diamond in the rough, a shining beacon for our gaming medium. Expand
  100. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters andPortal 2 is by far one of the best games I've played all year. And while the year is still relatively young I'll push that back and say it is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The game itself has a satisfying storyline, with lively, engaging characters. There's been a lot of effort put into the writing and voice acting with this game that brings the characters and environment alive.

The gameplay and controls are very polished, as can be expected from a Valve game. Challenges are very close to being the perfect kind of challenging, I think the maximum amount of time I spent being stuck on any given test room was twenty minutes, and it wasn't often. The feeling of satisfaction from beating the puzzles is fantastic, and the pacing of the game is very fluid. The single player took me about eight hours, and while many people claim to have completed it in four I would like to point out that the timer for Steam for Portal 2 is a little off as after my initial three hours of play I decided to take a break and noticed that my Portal 2 timer only said I have been playing nineteen minutes.

I've only played a few chambers of coop, but I have to say that being able to play with a friend is amazing, and the unlockable emoticons, especially the ones that include both of the robots are satisfying to do. GlaDOS isn't lacking in coop either and she'll talk and give little quips about what you're doing and insult you as she normally does with Chell.

My last statement would be that I am a college student and don't have a huge budget for video games, normally I buy bargain bins and Steam sales, but I got sucked into the hype and bought it for PS3 for $60. Of course I'm not saying you should go out and buy it right now, but when you see a price you can afford for the game or have a friend you can borrow it from, then do it because you will not regret it.

1. Pelit (Finland)