Portal PC

9.3

1. Sep 27, 2016
    This is one of the more innovative games I've played. The humour and wit make it so entertaining and the puzzles/quests are really interesting. I loved it and can't wait to play the second one. And who can complain about the end song? It's genius!
  2. Feb 20, 2016
    Great game, but it contains way to easy levels. I finished Portal 1 in 2 hours and Portal 2 in 10 hours. Portal isn't as fun or as creative Portal 2 is either which is why I'll give this a lower rating.
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    "Portal", a smart organized game created by the infamous Valve, is entertaining. It's indisputably short (2 hours), which was a major letdown, but with clean graphics it manages to hold your attention for the moment. The questions aren't baffling; any human with a brain of a elementary kid would solve the game easily. The story is pretty awesome and makes you feel like watching a movie in"Portal", a smart organized game created by the infamous Valve, is entertaining. It's indisputably short (2 hours), which was a major letdown, but with clean graphics it manages to hold your attention for the moment. The questions aren't baffling; any human with a brain of a elementary kid would solve the game easily. The story is pretty awesome and makes you feel like watching a movie in some sort of way. Overall, get it or alse...THE CAKE IS A LIE (if you get what I mean). Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    Now, the second one is better, but you just gotta love the first! it captured my heart and did not let go for awhile, til i played the second one at least... Found no problem with the game, expect one, the humor. The humor is funny, but unnecessary cussing (only a couple times) , made me have a guilty mind when I recommend it to someone young. It is unnecessary, just plain old outrightNow, the second one is better, but you just gotta love the first! it captured my heart and did not let go for awhile, til i played the second one at least... Found no problem with the game, expect one, the humor. The humor is funny, but unnecessary cussing (only a couple times) , made me have a guilty mind when I recommend it to someone young. It is unnecessary, just plain old outright wrong, like in games like MW1, I understand entirely different story. But in this, it stands in-between two genres, you can tell Valve makes shooters by the way it plays, and it talks, thats my only complaint. Expand
  5. Apr 10, 2011
    Portal is a unique puzzle/platformer game. Though really short, it keeps you entertained. The challenge is simple but not easy, just enough difficulty for every kind of gamer out there. The story, visuals and sound are great, fitting the game perfectly. Portal is already a timeless classic that everyone should play at least once.
  6. Oct 17, 2010
    I have to admit that Portal is a really unique game. But I still dont understand whats so amazing about this game.I think Portal is a pretty cool game, but it´s repeative and short, compleating it will take about 2-4 hours.But the computer AI GLaDoS is an awesome "character".GLADoS is propably one of the greatest enemies of all time.But that doesnt change my opinion aboutI have to admit that Portal is a really unique game. But I still dont understand whats so amazing about this game.I think Portal is a pretty cool game, but it´s repeative and short, compleating it will take about 2-4 hours.But the computer AI GLaDoS is an awesome "character".GLADoS is propably one of the greatest enemies of all time.But that doesnt change my opinion about Portal.For me, it was a repeative and pretty boring game with cool puzzles, nothing special.I hope that Portal 2 would be a better game than this. Expand
  7. GregP.
    Oct 18, 2007
    The game was innovative and interseting but way to short and too many simple levels toward the beginning of the game made it boring quickly.
  8. Sep 15, 2011
    Gets pretttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttty decent after 5 hours... oh wait.... the game ends there....
  9. Sep 19, 2011
    It was free, so I downloaded it. I think i fell prey to your reviews. "innovative" "exciting" you said. "Puzzles" you said. This is no puzzle game. This is an arcade, mostly. I bet the game in one run, less than 2 hours. To say there's a puzzle, you'd have to think; you don't have to think in Portal. There are two or three tricks to use, and that's it. ( 1. Fall-to-gain-momentum trick 2.It was free, so I downloaded it. I think i fell prey to your reviews. "innovative" "exciting" you said. "Puzzles" you said. This is no puzzle game. This is an arcade, mostly. I bet the game in one run, less than 2 hours. To say there's a puzzle, you'd have to think; you don't have to think in Portal. There are two or three tricks to use, and that's it. ( 1. Fall-to-gain-momentum trick 2. Blob-goes-through-portal trick 3. Rockets-get-through-portal trick). Another thing is the humour. I liked some of the jokes, but seriously, they aren't worth listening to that damn voice for 2 hours.I mean, I thought I'll snap at my computer... irritated. The story however... is good. Not great. Above average I'd say - it has atmosphere.
    Concluding:
    "Puzzles" 2/10
    Concept: 7/10 - good idea, less than satisfactory execution
    Story: 8/10 really liked that

Of course, the source engine still holds up, the graphics are good; even though your character is made out of wood. If it's free-portal-time again, download it, play it, forget it. Wouldn't buy it. Actually, would buy it, then would regret it.

And to "download maps, dude" people - This is the place to review a game as released. There are maps, yes, but I say the game provided to me is vaguely satisfying.
  10. MikeM.
    Jan 13, 2008
    The Portal gun idea is great. Why didn't they make more levels or more puzzles for this? The game is shorter than a movie, verry dull atmosphere, boring and drab. They practically hold your hand through the beginning which makes the rest of the game pretty simple, and far too short unless you're just renting it. It is not worth the price tag IMHO, but if you haven't tried The Portal gun idea is great. Why didn't they make more levels or more puzzles for this? The game is shorter than a movie, verry dull atmosphere, boring and drab. They practically hold your hand through the beginning which makes the rest of the game pretty simple, and far too short unless you're just renting it. It is not worth the price tag IMHO, but if you haven't tried it yet you should rent it. Expand
  11. RogerD.
    Jan 3, 2008
    An interesting concept..although brutally simplistic and almost completely devoid of plot. There are some interesting twists, but nothing that really got me that involved...plus it wasn't really that funny. Hopefully the modding community plays around with this one.
  12. MarkusM.
    Sep 6, 2009
    Good idea but the graphics suck even more and the levels are a bit too easy... I really like the humour in the game, also the atmosphere is really creepy.. The only thing i really hated that you can play the game through in 4-5 hours(if you already played it before), which is way too short... And i would not consider this game as a puzzle game... They also could´ve made the battle Good idea but the graphics suck even more and the levels are a bit too easy... I really like the humour in the game, also the atmosphere is really creepy.. The only thing i really hated that you can play the game through in 4-5 hours(if you already played it before), which is way too short... And i would not consider this game as a puzzle game... They also could´ve made the battle against Glados much more tricky and harder. Expand
  13. DannyV.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Overated like hell, it took me a few hours to complete it. Yeh it was fun, but they could've added so much more things like more enemies, levels, challenges etc. It is amazing that the people that made HL2 are the people that made this. Only good for renting, definately not worth the buy.
  14. TimC.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fun and different kept me going for a while, but this game has zero reply value, I tried to pick it up again but it just didnt happen, it became very old very quickly.
  15. Dalek
    Aug 22, 2009
    The beginning is boring, it's just simple stuff and you want to get to the action. I completed this game in a couple of hours and thought..
    Wow, it's the end? already?
    this game should be very cheap due to the lack of time it spent to complete the game.
  16. Oct 14, 2011
    This game should have been free as a HL2 add-on rather than being independent. Otherwise it wasn't worth it, but the DLC was worthy with the puzzle challenges and with another puzzle campaign mod. Also a short game could have expected more puzzles to solve with.
  17. Feb 17, 2011
    First, I would like to state clearly that I enjoyed Portal just not as much as everyone else. Portalâ
  18. Oct 29, 2010
    The game is truly great. And the only negative thing about it, is the lack of multiplayer. But that is still enough to make it go from a 10 to a 6 in my opinion. It will only give you so many hours of gameplay, versus multiplayer games which give you thousands of hours.
  19. Mar 3, 2011
    The game is one of the best FPP-Games out there.
    Almost the entire game is a tutorial, constantly thrusting new items and mechanic's on to you.
    The character's are well designed, especially RatMan.
    Theres not much varietey in combat though. I know the game wasn't intended to be combat-heavy, but HEY! Someone need's to tear something's liver apart everyonce in a while.
  20. Jul 4, 2011
    I have heard countless reviews praising this game for its innovation and dry humor as well as Jonathan Coulton's â
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    Innovative and interesting, but for me not very fun, some puzzles whee better than others, but the most memorable moment was the credits with "still alive" sad when the most memorable moment in your game is the credits.
  22. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is very short as you will be completely finished with it in around 4 hours and since it is a puzzle game, you have no incentive to replay since you already know the answers. This feels like a blueprint, a concept that Valve were merely test-driving. Although, what a concept it is. The idea of the portal gun is simple yet infinitely complex. It's pure genius and there is clearlyThis game is very short as you will be completely finished with it in around 4 hours and since it is a puzzle game, you have no incentive to replay since you already know the answers. This feels like a blueprint, a concept that Valve were merely test-driving. Although, what a concept it is. The idea of the portal gun is simple yet infinitely complex. It's pure genius and there is clearly more room to expand on it, as in Portal 2. Plus, Glados is certainly a very memorable video game villain. Expand
  23. Jan 20, 2012
    The game is fun. The gameplay is original and a ton of fun to play and also requires a bit of thinking to get through a level. The graphics look terrible though and the challenges are more of an annoyance then a challenge. The dialouge is hilarious though and definently worth listening too. Overall, It has a few flaws but Portal has that "It" factor that makes it totally worth playing.
  24. Jul 19, 2013
    Really cool game up to a point, but I'm left feeling bummed out. I was having a blast up until level 18 and got stone-walled there. I couldn't push the little button up on the tiny tower and after trying for hours gave it up. It was disappointing because I was having such a good time up to that point. It was a really innovate game mechanic. I found the computer narrator entertainingReally cool game up to a point, but I'm left feeling bummed out. I was having a blast up until level 18 and got stone-walled there. I couldn't push the little button up on the tiny tower and after trying for hours gave it up. It was disappointing because I was having such a good time up to that point. It was a really innovate game mechanic. I found the computer narrator entertaining and the game overall had an interesting/ immersive atmosphere.

But it's just frustrating to not be able to finish what was so satisfying up to that point. I even looked up a walkthrough on that level 18 and watched somebody do what I was trying to do I just couldn't pull it off. It's one of those "I know what to do and am trying to do the right thing I just can't execute it" type things.

Anyhow, it's memorable, worth playing, but I think such high scores overstate the experience.
  25. May 10, 2012
    I played this game AFTER Portal 2, and what a disappointment. It was short, sweet, and lacking in all the depth and personality of Portal 2. The thing I hated most about Portal is that everything was on a timer. Half the game was waiting for a timed event to occur, whereas Portal 2 was all reactive and immediate to my play style.

An alright game when it's on 75% off sale. Take an hour to

An alright game when it's on 75% off sale. Take an hour to beat it before Portal 2 to have a bit background, but not necessary.
  26. May 18, 2012
    Props for the uniqueness, and the comedy was great; however, it's not a 9.5 game. Almost the greatest game ever (10)? ah, no. Better than Portal 2, I thought. I think everyone should play this game, but I get it if you don't like it that much. Value is a great company.
  27. Jason
    Oct 19, 2007
    Great game... but myself and my brother beat the game in less than 3 hours... kind of a joke. I just hope they throw some expansion levels out soon, or incorporate the portal gun into a half life game.
  28. AllyD.
    Feb 21, 2008
    Would of been a TEN but for short life span! this game is amazing and simply genius, but i completed it about 3 hrs total. they better make a part 2. I loved this game, but this is more like an intro. speed test add more life but the 1st player was so good. i was gutted it was so short. comforted myself with a big real cake, and played again. To Valve, don't be scared, make it big Would of been a TEN but for short life span! this game is amazing and simply genius, but i completed it about 3 hrs total. they better make a part 2. I loved this game, but this is more like an intro. speed test add more life but the 1st player was so good. i was gutted it was so short. comforted myself with a big real cake, and played again. To Valve, don't be scared, make it big and hard, we can handle it!!!the potential for this game is huge. Expand
    Oct 10, 2007
    This is a very original, ingenious game, and as far as that goes, this game DESERVES a 10 out of 10. It had great graphics and sound, and an completely unique story and concept of portals. However, I found the brevity of your experience in the "Aperture Science Center" to be a complete buzzkill. I felt like I was just getting started when the game abruptly came to a screeching halt. The This is a very original, ingenious game, and as far as that goes, this game DESERVES a 10 out of 10. It had great graphics and sound, and an completely unique story and concept of portals. However, I found the brevity of your experience in the "Aperture Science Center" to be a complete buzzkill. I felt like I was just getting started when the game abruptly came to a screeching halt. The puzzles were not that difficult, even in the advanced mode (except for the last one... that one is hard!) The game takes a truly brilliant original concept and delivers it extremely well, but only delivers for about 3 hours with some pretty simple puzzles. I hope this is just a teaser of what is going to come next, because if this is all we get, it is a great disappointment. Expand
  30. ChristofferL.
    Oct 22, 2007
    +: The terrian is great, computers voice sounds real, smart puzzles, when the boxes travels from portal to portal like a real hole is excellent! -: Too short game, when done this game its getting bored knowing the same trick, too few bonus levels, that its requied direct x9 to make the game looks great (doesn't have direct x9) 7 points.
  31. AS
    Nov 3, 2008
    I think this game is getting too much praise. It's a smart game that uses some original ideas but when you've got the other 4 games in the Orange Box to play, it's not much fun in comparison. It takes around 3-4 hours to beat and I found it pretty boring and repetitive throughout. Rather than hoping for more as I was going through the levels I was hoping for the end of the I think this game is getting too much praise. It's a smart game that uses some original ideas but when you've got the other 4 games in the Orange Box to play, it's not much fun in comparison. It takes around 3-4 hours to beat and I found it pretty boring and repetitive throughout. Rather than hoping for more as I was going through the levels I was hoping for the end of the level instead. I don't think it deserves a 10 that many seem to be giving it because in comparison to the other games like HL2 and TF2, it's no way as fun. Portal is for those that like puzzle games...simple as that. It wasn't exciting, nor was it that fun. It was interesting and sometimes challenging but at the same time boring and dragged on. The length of the game I believe is suitable as anymore which just get too repetitive. The best bit of the game would have to be the song during the credits. Expand
  32. Jociline
    Jan 22, 2008
    I look at all those people who beat the game in three hours and say WHY DID YOU DO THAT? The game, PROUDLY, took me 5-6 hours to beat. Not because it was difficult... but I took in every second of portal I could get. The "This test is impossible" took all of 5 seconds to figure out... but the commically pessimistic humor was too much to miss. I expecally loved all the chatter about the I look at all those people who beat the game in three hours and say WHY DID YOU DO THAT? The game, PROUDLY, took me 5-6 hours to beat. Not because it was difficult... but I took in every second of portal I could get. The "This test is impossible" took all of 5 seconds to figure out... but the commically pessimistic humor was too much to miss. I expecally loved all the chatter about the companion cube. Even replaying some of the more "enjoyable" puzzles. But portal quickly falls into what I consider one of valves weakness'. Level design. Valve has the tendency of making levels that lead to the "core objective" without ever telling you what the core objective is... or even giving good reason as to how you know how to get there... or how it leads there. One thing I can say is good is valve DID answer far more questions in Portal then in any other game they've made. (or rather raised far less questions) Expand
  33. BenS.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Terribly overrated. I couldn't believe some of the reviews about its great "innovation" after playing it to completion in a matter of hours. I kept waiting for the "training levels" to end so I could get to the real game. Little did I know that the "training levels" were the actual game. 19 levels of using your portal "gun" to get to high places, which is really more of a tool than a Terribly overrated. I couldn't believe some of the reviews about its great "innovation" after playing it to completion in a matter of hours. I kept waiting for the "training levels" to end so I could get to the real game. Little did I know that the "training levels" were the actual game. 19 levels of using your portal "gun" to get to high places, which is really more of a tool than a gun. That's it. Don't expect the after-game achievements to make up for it. 2 of them can be completed simply by putting a portal above and below you and falling straight down. It's more a challenge of patience than anything. By that point it feels like work. Don't believe everything that you read. Must be a lot of HL2-engine fanatics who are also reviewers. Or maybe they aren't FPS fans at all, and are pleased to see an FPS engine used for a game where you don't shoot anything. Expand
  34. TakeshiJ.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Highly original. Very fun game that involves quick thinking. Nice use of the originally perfect source engine, yet I did find it extremely short and quick to finish. A multiplayer qould be awesome too, but that would be hard to play, but tossing each other into portals that lead to deep pits of fire would be fun! But no, theres no such thing. Oh and by the way, it's quite funny too :D
  35. ChrisL.
    Jan 25, 2008
    If you don't have excellent reaction times and precise jump puzzle skills, Portal is an exercise in frustration. It's excellently constructed, with good in-context hints as to how you should proceed. But in my case, it took me over two hours to get through what I assume was meant to be ten minutes of gameplay.
  36. Oct 6, 2011
    This game deserves a good score for its creativity. It's a good game & worth playing especially if you like puzzles. The only downside that I found is that its incredibly short because I finished it in under 2 hours.
  37. Jan 22, 2014
    Al principio el juego no me gusto mucho, lo veia demasiado simple. Tambien es verdad que me esperaba otra cosa, pero, el juego al final me ha gustado, es divertido, tiene muy buenos puzzles y lo cierto es que me ha sorprendido sobretodo en la parte final, un juego que recomiendo ampliamente y que para mi es de los mejores de puzzles que pude jugar, ahora me toca jugar la segunda entregaAl principio el juego no me gusto mucho, lo veia demasiado simple. Tambien es verdad que me esperaba otra cosa, pero, el juego al final me ha gustado, es divertido, tiene muy buenos puzzles y lo cierto es que me ha sorprendido sobretodo en la parte final, un juego que recomiendo ampliamente y que para mi es de los mejores de puzzles que pude jugar, ahora me toca jugar la segunda entrega que espero que sea igual o mejor si cabe que este Portal. Expand
  38. Oct 21, 2014
    Portal, a lot like Portal 2, throws you in a series of challenging puzzles while giving you a portal gun which can be used at the player's discretion to shoot portals at walls to help the player solve the puzzles. The story is good and basically feels like a huge setup for Portal 2 more than a full game. As much as I liked the game's puzzles and story, the whole thing feels like a hugePortal, a lot like Portal 2, throws you in a series of challenging puzzles while giving you a portal gun which can be used at the player's discretion to shoot portals at walls to help the player solve the puzzles. The story is good and basically feels like a huge setup for Portal 2 more than a full game. As much as I liked the game's puzzles and story, the whole thing feels like a huge Beta test. Only having about 20 puzzles and had me completing it in about 30-45 minutes but I have to admit, I did love the boss battle as it had me frustrated at times. Overall, Portal is a good game but needed a beefier story and more puzzles. Expand
  39. Nov 19, 2015
    Portal gets really hard, really fast. The first 10 to 20 levels are way too easy, and onward its way too challenging. The challenge kicks in way too fast. But as a port of the Orange Box, it is worth buying, but separetly, well... do you like really like challenges?
  40. May 16, 2015
    Portal is a puzzle game form the first person perspective in which you create portals which solves you problems. Most puzzles are doable; some were difficult. This was a nice deviation from my normal fps work, but having finished also Portal 2, I wouldn't pick up another puzzle game soon.
  41. Dec 28, 2014
    Portal is a FPS type game appeared in 2007, developed by Valve and Nuclear Monkey Software. The game was published by Valve's online service (Steam) for the Retail and Electronic Arts.
    The game puts you in the place of Chell, to anyone dressings Science Labs. Chell is caused by an artificial intelligence named GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System) to complete each puzzle, get a cake when finalizate.Jocul sit quite well in chapters, just as it is very short.
  42. Jul 3, 2015
    I do have a couple problems that make me mad. First off the puzzles never stumped me, the jokes weren't very funny, the ending boss wasn't that cool, and overall the game is ok.
  43. May 11, 2015
    Different take on a normal puzzle game where the single thing you need is your gun. Blue. Orange. Blue and Orange. Creative game with a comical narrator with you along the ride. Puzzles offer a challenge that didn't feel overwhelming, but if you wanted difficult you can always play the advanced maps or challenge maps. Story is very minimal as this game is rather short and can be beatDifferent take on a normal puzzle game where the single thing you need is your gun. Blue. Orange. Blue and Orange. Creative game with a comical narrator with you along the ride. Puzzles offer a challenge that didn't feel overwhelming, but if you wanted difficult you can always play the advanced maps or challenge maps. Story is very minimal as this game is rather short and can be beat within a hour or two. Expand

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.