9.4

1. May 7, 2013
    Well... It's been about 10 years since I last played a Valve game. The first one I ever played was Half-Life Uplink (demo to original HL1). And it was terrific. I finished it maybe 50 times. Then I got full HL1 and finished it a couple of times too. And then I never played a Valve game again.
    Until a week ago. I got Portal Bundle on Steam about a year ago for as cheap as 10$ or so. And I wish I'd play this earlier.. This game is perfect! Its somewhat short, but the storyline is very intriguing. At first you may find it strange or even boring but do not give up on it it is well worth your 3~4 hours of playtime.
    Being a grown up semi no-life I can honestly say that this game firmly holds a high rank in my top 10 games of all time (an I've played a ton of games in my life).

This is the type of game that you would sacrifice your weekday night for just to finish this last puzzle!
    Excelent choice worth any money!
  2. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Portal is a perfect example of how it is possible to create great things from simple concepts. Of course you must have at your disposal great resources too, and Portal's again the case: some great graphics, a smooth gameplay, an interesting story which fits perfectly to the playtime. There are games out there that are short. Just deal with it.
  3. Feb 3, 2015
    A decent puzzle game mixed with a first person shooter. Only fun the first time you run through it, after which the game becomes repetitive and boring. They made the puzzle mechanics fun, and the maniacal robot talking to you is funny sometimes.
  4. BryceRiebel
    Oct 14, 2007
    Got Portal as part of the Ultimate bundle Valve is offering through Steam. It included pretty much everything related to the Half-Life series for $100 (23+/- games I think).
    Beat the normal game in 2 sittings, about 6 hours maybe. Great game though, really makes you think in the later levels and I can't wait for players to make their own maps for it. I generaly hate puzzle games and go for shoot em ups but I really enjoyed this. Would have paid $30 for this game alone. I give it a 10.
  5. holor
    Dec 4, 2007
    This was a great game, the only thing I found to be strange was the little ventilation hole just after the first rocket turret, I used chairs to go up inside but I found it a clumsy way of doing it, it was very unlike the others puzzles if the game.
    I love GLaDOS so much <3 the turrets <3
  6. MattScott
    Dec 14, 2007
    Yes, it was short. But it was not meant to be a fully-realized game by itself, and that seems to be what most people are forgetting when negatively rating it. It was practically free with the Orange Box, implements some of the most innovative gameplay concepts in years, and is probably more of a 2-3 hour demo/preview (HL2:E2 anyone?) of things to come. Portal is a gift to us gamers, andYes, it was short. But it was not meant to be a fully-realized game by itself, and that seems to be what most people are forgetting when negatively rating it. It was practically free with the Orange Box, implements some of the most innovative gameplay concepts in years, and is probably more of a 2-3 hour demo/preview (HL2:E2 anyone?) of things to come. Portal is a gift to us gamers, and should be appreciated as such. Expand
  7. connoszeniou
    Oct 10, 2007
    Its realy a very adictive game. I couldnt let it go. I realy like it and their is a lot of potiential in it. Imagine this in HalfLife with physics pazles or fighting i can think of thousand of ideas how can be used. Realy amazing can wait for ep3 to see what valve can do more
  8. EdwardPereira
    Oct 13, 2007
    I beat this game in the first 2 and a half hours that i played it. I just didn't want to stop playing. The game's progression, in my opinion, is perfect. A lot of the portal usage was really fun. Trampolining around a large room was especially fun. The polish of the game is also exceptional. The really great humor was just icing on an already delicious cake.
  9. BadenFisher
    Oct 14, 2007
    Although not very long, Portal offers a new experience for players that tests thier speed and puzzle solving skills under pressure. Two thumbs way up to Valve on this venture. Hope to see more installments to the game as time goes on with more puzzles and possible installation of other weapons combined with a multiplayer aspect.
  10. StrelokDino
    Nov 19, 2007
    This game was superb in almost every way,the developer commentary only proves every little enjoyable aspect was not an accident.
    The final few levels,the end sequence and the new game wallpaper you get after finishing the game are all excellent.
    It's also ripe with humor,and a lovely Companion Box. XD Finally,the end is simultaneously the best Credits,the best Outro,the best Song
    It's also ripe with humor,and a lovely Companion Box. XD
    Finally,the end is simultaneously the best Credits,the best Outro,the best Song and the best end-game reward EVER.I will never see something so cool (and amusing as everything) as the "Still Alive" remake from the end,

"Maybe Black Mesa!!.....That was a JOKE!...Haha,fat chance!"
  11. Dec 9, 2010
    A boring start that is needed for any great puzzle game, so that is irrelevant. Once you get past a few you will be laughing your but off in the fun lonely adventure of the aperture science research facility! Another great product from valve.
  12. AdamUrban
    Oct 13, 2007
    Ive been waiting for this game for a while. I love the idea of manipulating space/time with only the click of a mouse, and using physics to solve mazes is astonishingly satisfactory. And the subtle sinister clues left by former test subjects leaves a great eery theme. A great addition to the orange box. If only there was more.
  13. EthanDuysen
    Oct 14, 2007
    This is by far one of the biggest leaps in gaming there have been in a while. Not only does Portal put into excellent use of the Valve physics engine, but they also do excellent rendering of collision, use of video memory, and many other aspects that Half Life missed. Portal is also very open ended and can be madded easily with any game. The possibilities are practically limitless withThis is by far one of the biggest leaps in gaming there have been in a while. Not only does Portal put into excellent use of the Valve physics engine, but they also do excellent rendering of collision, use of video memory, and many other aspects that Half Life missed. Portal is also very open ended and can be madded easily with any game. The possibilities are practically limitless with the portal gun and the games that are available and the franchise is going to be doing very well with future games. Good Job Valve Expand
  14. Mr.Finnigan
    Nov 24, 2007
    What I don't understand is why everyone giving a <7 rating complains about a lack of depth. DUH! Your character has no idea what's goint on! She woke up in a lab rat facility being told what to do by an AI unit. Even after the game's over, she's still passed out in the parking lot of Aperture. Also, it was included in the Orange Box because Aperture and Black Mesa areWhat I don't understand is why everyone giving a <7 rating complains about a lack of depth. DUH! Your character has no idea what's goint on! She woke up in a lab rat facility being told what to do by an AI unit. Even after the game's over, she's still passed out in the parking lot of Aperture. Also, it was included in the Orange Box because Aperture and Black Mesa are competitors (you can see it on some of the projectors if you peek through the windows after Testchamber 19).

Very nice game, excellent concept. I'm replaying the game to try and get all of the acievements. Definite replay value, you know, tweak timings, find better ways to do stuff, etc. And it's fun to just play around with portals (like make the Companion Cube exist in two places at once XD).
  15. JonathanRoskell
    Oct 14, 2007
    Innovative, sinister, intelligent, head scratching at times, (not for long) but frankly simple fun. The game was a little short for my liking, but given the positive reviews I hope there will be many people designing maps for it. Looking forward to portal 2, or at least finding our how this fits into the half life universe.
  16. MorganMataya
    Oct 14, 2007
    Simply wonderful idea and the fact that it includes a Level Editor makes it all the better. with the ability to experience anyone in the worlds crazy wacky idea of a logical puzzle, it adds unlimited amounts of play time on top of the flawlessly achieved single-player "Tests". I give this a perfect 10, because even if someone can say... hey... what the hell were they thinking not puttingSimply wonderful idea and the fact that it includes a Level Editor makes it all the better. with the ability to experience anyone in the worlds crazy wacky idea of a logical puzzle, it adds unlimited amounts of play time on top of the flawlessly achieved single-player "Tests". I give this a perfect 10, because even if someone can say... hey... what the hell were they thinking not putting (enter whatever here) into the game... they have opened a new idea and play style to the gaming community. and is there anything else we can really ask for in a game other then to be inventive and inovative? thats what progression and learning are all about... a further knowledge into why and how we do things. and in that sense, and many others (including orientation and gravity!), i give this game a perfect 10 Expand
  17. A.Nonymous
    Oct 14, 2007
    The psycological experience, the amazing atmosphere and the depth of story in Portal can be explained with two words: Still Alive.

It may be short, but isn't that better than a puzzle game that goes on so long that you give up? The singleplayer doesn't offer much replay value, as once you've solved the puzzles you pretty much create a portal to the end of the game, but there are still Challenge and Bonus Maps. Once the community gets going, countless others will follow. The fact that I went through the entire game again to just hear the ending song says it all. Portal is beautiful. Sorry PC Gamer, Team Fortress 2 and HL2: Episode 2 may be the greatest games of the year, but Portal by far has the most electric atmosphere and experience.
  18. Paul
    Mar 4, 2008
    This game draws you in and keeps you wanting more. The story was unexpected and reminded me of the movie "Cube" in a slight way.
    Gameplay is just amazing and so simple to master once you understand the basics.
    I hope Valve continues with this portal concept and its top notch story telling.
  19. DanKrikorian
    Oct 14, 2007
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. The idea that you can bend your perception on the universe is fantastic. I hope to see more use of the portal gun from valve either in new portal games or an addition to the HL2 arsenal
  20. Devan
    Oct 10, 2007
    This game, although slightly short, is amazingly excellent. The use of the Portal Gun to achieve your goals, as well as all the physics and graphics are perfectly tied together with the story behind the Aperture Science Laboratories.
  21. Apr 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a very good game but a little short. VERY GOOD! And the GLADoS Battle is EPIC!
    The Turrets are very cute!
    At the first time i was a n00b and i failed a everything.
  22. Jan 1, 2012
    Very fun to play game and i also liked how it got implemented in the half life universe instead of beeing released as completely new IP. Just get it, its not expensive and very worth to be played.
  23. Aug 26, 2012
    This game won the 2007 Game of the Year Award. And I think this game really did deserve the award. With It's complex physics-based puzzles, this masterpiece of gaming will keep your mind thinking and thinking for a solution to each carefully crafted "test." Aside from all this, the game was relatively short. Which is the reason why it does not get a 10 from me. In the end, the gameThis game won the 2007 Game of the Year Award. And I think this game really did deserve the award. With It's complex physics-based puzzles, this masterpiece of gaming will keep your mind thinking and thinking for a solution to each carefully crafted "test." Aside from all this, the game was relatively short. Which is the reason why it does not get a 10 from me. In the end, the game deserves a well earned 9 from me. Expand
  24. Feb 24, 2011
    Portal is a innovative new look for FPS's and although short, the game is very fun to play. The only two problems I have with the game is the short length and the price.
  25. olir
    Sep 9, 2009
    Portal is not perfect, but it is danm close! to all u idiots out there that say it is too short, that is a good thing. if it was any longer they would have just been using the same puzzles over again and u would be even more pissed. btw combat games are mindless, finding a stratigy then then using it over & over is not fun. portal is a puzzle game (look on the back of the box retards) not Portal is not perfect, but it is danm close! to all u idiots out there that say it is too short, that is a good thing. if it was any longer they would have just been using the same puzzles over again and u would be even more pissed. btw combat games are mindless, finding a stratigy then then using it over & over is not fun. portal is a puzzle game (look on the back of the box retards) not a fucking fps. Expand
  26. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = I seriously want to delve into the minds of the developers at Valve. They are just geniuses. This game is seriously unbelievable.
  27. Aug 16, 2011
    Pros: Everything
    Cons: Gets a bit hard from time to time (Turrets are Pains in the ass)
    Summary: A bit hard but if you have quick fingers it can be considered 10/10
  28. Sep 28, 2011
    Well, given that Portal 2 is a week away, I figured it'd be a fine time to go back and revisit the charming predecessor. The first Portal was a delightful pack-in for The Orange Box, Valve's compilation of Half-Life, the two subsequent Episodes, and Team Fortress 2. While all those games were highly regarded and well worth the money, Portal was singled out in particular for its innovativeWell, given that Portal 2 is a week away, I figured it'd be a fine time to go back and revisit the charming predecessor. The first Portal was a delightful pack-in for The Orange Box, Valve's compilation of Half-Life, the two subsequent Episodes, and Team Fortress 2. While all those games were highly regarded and well worth the money, Portal was singled out in particular for its innovative puzzle design which truly explored what the First Person Shooter genre was capable of when coupled with a spark of creativity and the freedom to go beyond mere convention.

Portal takes the puzzle mentality of games as old as Tetris and other 2D sidescrollers and transports it into the modern 3D space of first person shooters, though perhaps this is a bit of a misnomer as there isn't actually shooting in the traditional bloodthirsty connotation. Instead, you're given a marvelous Portal gun which greatly resembles the Gravity gun from Half-Life 2. Just as that "gun" was more of an experimental piece of equipment than an actual deadly firearm, here too the Portal gun functions in a unique manner to aid in your adventures. Rather than terminating foes, you create portals in solid matter to bypass obstacles in the environment and traverse in odd, sometimes paradoxical pathways. These dimensional holes cut into the walls and floors of the laboratory also afford Portal the unique distinction of being one of the only FPSs ever to allow you to witness your own body in front of you, without the aid of mirrors. The mind-bending nature of these portals is what gives the game such a playfully devious character and even jaded hardcore gamers who've long exhausted their stockpiles of FPS games will find it hard not to giggle at the intensely creative and ingenious environmental puzzles that Valve has conjured up in its technological cauldron.

While an imaginative and refreshing new twist on the FPS genre, Portal is let down by its short length. This is not a particularly grievous complaint as the game was meant to be a sort of free extra treat in The Orange Box, already a steal with its plethora of games, but one cannot help feeling somewhat disappointed when they've arrived at the end of this rather loopy and wholly captivating diversion of time. Truly, "short and sweet" is how the game can best be characterized, yet if only that sweetness could have been prolonged somehow!

Portal's humor has been singled out for a great deal of praise and been the source of countless memes since the dawn of its release, yet I'm not entirely convinced the game deserves such effusive love. Perhaps it's because of my own sense of humor that gets in the way, but I found the game's comic sensibilities rather tame and merely worthy of a chuckle here and there. GlaDOS, the malevolent AI in the story, delivers vaguely threatening monologues coached in corporate doublespeak but I never found these evoking an actual laugh out loud. And does "the cake is a lie" merit such a widespread meme? Is that statement really so powerfully mindblowing and clever that it deserves to be plastered all over the internet? I can't really justify it, unfortunately. The game's somewhat clever at times, but there's nothing about it that makes me suspect it's reaching the heights of comedy.

The problem with most puzzle games, and which Portal inevitably succumbs to, is the fact that they're only good for the first time. Replaying this game two years after I first completed it, there was a sensation of repetition and familiarity. Some of the harder and more intricate puzzles took me a mindful pause to remember what the solution was, but the overall playthrough was greatly reduced from my first time, as the answers were all still within my memories. There was no great epiphany, no moment of "Eureka!" that you had over and over again from the first playthrough. This is a problem that you find in all puzzle games, they just don't warrant repeat plays as the puzzle's already been solved. After that initial breakthough, you're just left with a sense of treading water. That ebullient feeling of discovery and the satisfaction of cracking the proverbial nut is lost forever, and that's a shame. It's just the nature of puzzles, and a few other genres as well. Trivia games are another example where you have this issue. The first time, you're stumped, but subsequent games are no brainers as you've learned the trivia and there's no challenge left.

But Portal's first time through is a truly marvelous and rather pure gaming experience which has few equals in the modern gaming landscape. It's one to treasure.
  29. Oct 19, 2011
    I was drawn between 8 and 9. I have to say 10 is the perfect game and i don't give 10. Well if you blow my brain i will. the reasone why i didn't choose 9 is that the game is quite short. so if you get for less than 10 euro/dollars buy it. it's worth the money. i#M not even a puzzle fan and i had fun! buy it!!!
  30. Mar 17, 2012
    The story is a kinda creepy, and I have to confessing you that I never wish play portal till a friend insisted in made me play, so I just playit, and I said :" now what" but the more you progress through the game more difficult, interesting and involving turns this. I suggest you, give it two chances, the first to start to play and the second for advancements
  31. Nov 13, 2012
    If you're reading this review, that means you're considering getting the game. Just go get it. It's short but it's fun. It's a fantastic puzzle game that requires creativity and provides a rewarding experience (the atmosphere is great- listening to glados is hilarious). Just go get it.
  32. Sep 23, 2014
    Ok,can someone tell me something- Is the cake a lie?
    Anyway, it's still one of the best games,to date. Funny humor,fun gameplay,amazing song at the end of the game...

PORTAL 3 COMFIRMED!!!1
  33. Jun 11, 2015
    Portal
    Charming and Challenging
    Portal is easily one of the most charming games ive played period As you make your way through the game solving increasingly difficult puzzles, your progress is being monitored by an unknown character that will effortlessly make you laugh, Playing portal just to hear the commentary is worth the journey through the game alone, but the good news is, the
    Portal
    Charming and Challenging
    Portal is easily one of the most charming games ive played period
    As you make your way through the game solving increasingly difficult puzzles, your progress is being monitored by an unknown character that will effortlessly make you laugh, Playing portal just to hear the commentary is worth the journey through the game alone, but the good news is, the game is just as good.
    Portal starts you off slow with one portal gun , you use this portal to hop gaps and move objects, youll eventually get to a point where youre given 2 portal guns which at first feels a bit easier as you feel more free, the only problem is by time this happens, you are already halfway through the game.
    You use one portal to makes an exit, and the other for that exits entrance
    The 2nd half of portal is where puzzles can get a bit tricky and no longer feel all too intuitive,
    It may just be me not used to having to use my brain all too often to play games, but I found the difficulty spike to be just a tad bit too intense.
    The complexity of the levels go too slow in the beginning and too fast at the end making the game feel kind of frustrating, I didn’t really feel clever when I got through levels, it was more guess work, I felt kind of lucky.
    While you may lose some hair over figuring out the perfect way to drop boxes from the ceiling, avoiding lasers, and getting over obstacles, youll feel great going through the gate onto the next floor.
    The feeling of guess work isn’t satisfying, but somehow portal still manages to pull you forward always wanting more., but while I say that I felt like portal gave me just enough.
    Portal will only last you about 3-5 hours, and as a puzzle game of its kind I found this length to be pretty perfect.
    The game kept pulling me forward with its charm, but I wont lie and say I wasn’t fully satisfied when this brain exercise was over.
    For what it is
    Puzzle Platformer 8.5/10
    Overall 8/10
  34. LANCEhostetter
    Oct 13, 2007
    The only reason Portal isnt a 10 is because there are so few levels to play with. However, the possibilities presented by this concept have barely been touched. What an exciting way to view the game world and we can only hope Episode 3 will expand the portal concept and integrate that into the Half Life world .
  35. TaylorR.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic game! And the song at the end (still alive) just makes you want to play it again, and agan, and again! I would recommend it to anyone!
  36. JeremyF.
    Jul 8, 2008
    best game ever!!! this game is a bit addicting so be warned! AMAZING story line but it is a bit short. Its fun to just mess around at any random place. Hours of fun and easy laughs. Great custom maps and plenty of them. This IS my fav game of all time! 11 out of 10!!!
  37. EddieD
    Oct 28, 2009
    I love games that make you think. For years one of my favourite games was Myst, as it took you beyond just the shoot-em-up genre and into the realm of puzzle solving. Now Portal comes along and elevates puzzle playing to a higher level! To say that the game is great would be an understatement. It's both easy and hard at the same time. Easy, as the amount of "weapons" that you need to I love games that make you think. For years one of my favourite games was Myst, as it took you beyond just the shoot-em-up genre and into the realm of puzzle solving. Now Portal comes along and elevates puzzle playing to a higher level! To say that the game is great would be an understatement. It's both easy and hard at the same time. Easy, as the amount of "weapons" that you need to master is limited to just one - the Portal. However, it's also difficult as you need to sometimes do three or more things at once to complete a level! All I have to say is that I love everything about the game. And GLaDOS has to be one of the greatest uses of AI to have ever been created. Ellen needs to be commended 1,000 times over for doing such a wonderfully believable job with the voice! Expand
  38. MiroB.
    Nov 2, 2007
    The best logical game ever, beautifuly put in the first-person view. Engine and graphics are great and it does not have too high hardware requirements. Plot is interesting. The game is made more fun by GLaD, who often sais funny things. However, some challenges are little imbalanced, but that's not bad, because when you complete them, you are proud of yourself.
  39. DanM.
    Oct 13, 2007
    I really liked the game Portal because of the new technology of portals and the puzzles. The way you made the maps in Portal was great. I also really liked the story of Aperture Laboratories that a computer was actually the boss there, hearing the computer voice was a great thing to the environment. Also the great humor and the 'behind the sciene' parts were awesome. Made me I really liked the game Portal because of the new technology of portals and the puzzles. The way you made the maps in Portal was great. I also really liked the story of Aperture Laboratories that a computer was actually the boss there, hearing the computer voice was a great thing to the environment. Also the great humor and the 'behind the sciene' parts were awesome. Made me think the place wasn't that perfect, also sometimes when you are behind the sciene and looking at some wall you can see someone wrote there "the cake is a lie" 4 times everywhere made me think I wasn't the first here. The way the computer had some technical errors sometimes was very nicely made. And of course, the voice acting was the best! Expand
  40. BlakeB
    Brilliant.
  41. MattS.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Absolutely amazing!!! i loved this game. it made me think, it was tough but not to tough funny. valve people are btrards haha CAKE! anyway i will play this game over to see how fast i can do it. challenge maps are good. awards?!! what more do you want? sound track is awesome! end song haha! THIS GAME ROCKS i hope they can make a sequel some how.
  42. YakumoU.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Absolutely awesome, most innovative, fun game I've played in years, and certainly the most enjoyable ending sequence I've seen in probably the last 5, after finishing most AAA titles. fantastic sense of humour, and overall production.
  43. ScottH.
    Oct 28, 2007
    The only criticism I can honestly aim at this unique and addictive game is it is far, far to short. Other than that, Portal offers a refreshing change in first person gaming. A more cereberal approach is offered instead of mindless hallway strafing and machinegun spraying. I am eagerly awaiting a sequel to this hilariously dark and twisted game. Classic.
  44. CapnB.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Takes a great concept and really makes it work. Multiple solutions, visual cues, and a great autosave system make this unlike other puzzle games where you bash your head against the desk trying to figure out what the designer wanted you to do, or sets you back an hour when you mess up. I actually laughed out loud several times from the mater-of-factly humor of GlaDOS and those cute sentry Takes a great concept and really makes it work. Multiple solutions, visual cues, and a great autosave system make this unlike other puzzle games where you bash your head against the desk trying to figure out what the designer wanted you to do, or sets you back an hour when you mess up. I actually laughed out loud several times from the mater-of-factly humor of GlaDOS and those cute sentry robots. Including the commentary was also a great way to get me to play the whole game again, right after I finished it! Expand
  45. MontyF.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Goosebumpy fun. This was an absolute joy to play, from start to finish. It is super short, but think of the potential. Portal is the first game that ever motivated me to post a review!
  46. MatthewR.
    Jan 3, 2008
    The game is brilliant, the monologue hilarious. Yes, it is short, but try and get the best score on the challenge setting for all three categories, and you'll be at it for hours and hours and hours, many of those frustration, until finally the ultimate reward: Success. I think anyone and everyone will delight in this game.
  47. AaronM.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Outstanding game. Truly original, and will be remembered as a pioneering experience. When do we get Portal 2?!
  48. Anonymous
    Oct 4, 2008
    Portal has so much more to it than some tend to think! Not only does it include the amazing normal single-player (which I played through about 20 times) but it has the bonus content which adds more challenging puzzles to solve. On top of that, you can easily download maps from other people for a nearly endless experience! I'm not even going to mention the possibilities in Hammer or Portal has so much more to it than some tend to think! Not only does it include the amazing normal single-player (which I played through about 20 times) but it has the bonus content which adds more challenging puzzles to solve. On top of that, you can easily download maps from other people for a nearly endless experience! I'm not even going to mention the possibilities in Hammer or Gmod with the Portal set. Expand
  49. CraigD.
    Jan 5, 2008
    Portal is incredible. This can not be stated enough. While HL does take though, it is does not require the dimensional thinking in which Portal does. While, yes it is short and one can power their way through it in a few hours, every game is like this once you get the hang of it. Portal is unique and I am very excited to see what Valve does with it next.
  50. Staggs
    Jan 6, 2008
    Portal is one of those games that kills me to give less than a 10, even though I think it deserved the 8 I gave it. Great atmosphere, a sinister (and oftentimes hilarious) antagonist, and some ingenious level design came together very well to form one of the greatest puzzlers ever made. I believe that, though short, the game was the perfect length because anything longer than the three or Portal is one of those games that kills me to give less than a 10, even though I think it deserved the 8 I gave it. Great atmosphere, a sinister (and oftentimes hilarious) antagonist, and some ingenious level design came together very well to form one of the greatest puzzlers ever made. I believe that, though short, the game was the perfect length because anything longer than the three or four hours it will take you to finish it would begin to feel boring. My main complaint is with the ease of the puzzles it throws at you. I think that Valve spent a bit too much time getting you acquainted with the physics and dynamics of the game, to the point where by the time you get to some of the later, more difficult stages of the game, you've already solved lots of puzzles like them and need only apply the knowledge of those puzzles to pass by with ease. Still, Portal is an amazing game that is worth it for just the storyline alone, and the ending credits song is probably the most genius things ever written by anyone on this planet. Expand
  51. Lobo
    Jan 9, 2008
    THE game. It`s short indeed, but the best hours i had in my life (playing games). My wife just can`t stand no more me talking about this game! Fun, brilliant history, hillarious lines, and conected with Half Life! Ah, as my MSN quote says, i loved the cake! Sooooo delicious!
  52. DaveH.
    Feb 20, 2008
    A mini masterpiece. Must be experienced at least once.
  53. MarkusD.
    Feb 3, 2008
    It's a fantastic game with nice puzzles. It took some time til finishing them all. but it was worth it to "waste some time" with this awesome game.
  54. BrandonR.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Of all the games I've ever played, Portal is my all-time favorite right now.
  55. PatrickG.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Best shooter ever!
  56. GuyN.
    Mar 6, 2008
    AMAZING!!!! One of the best games I played ever. Loved the song in the end.
  57. MichaelR
    Mar 9, 2008
    I have been playing games since I was 6 years old so I know a good game when I play one and portal is a good game. sure it was short but you have to see past the actually game, you can do so many things to have fun in this game other than playing the actual game and that is one of the things that make this game unique and truly fun to play which, unfortunately, is rare these days.
  58. CheapC.
    Apr 1, 2008
    Before I ever played Portal, a friend told me "The cake is a lie". After hearing this I had an entirely different idea for what the plot my be, including details and twists in the story. Then I played portal and it was completely different than what I had pictured. A gentle learning curve, sparingly using time-based puzzles, a beautifully designed new game mechanic (portal gun) combine Before I ever played Portal, a friend told me "The cake is a lie". After hearing this I had an entirely different idea for what the plot my be, including details and twists in the story. Then I played portal and it was completely different than what I had pictured. A gentle learning curve, sparingly using time-based puzzles, a beautifully designed new game mechanic (portal gun) combine with the clean, uncluttered design of the levels and the mysterious (yet uncomplicated) plot to make the atmosphere foreboding and simultaneously appealing in it's straightforward cleverness. The voice on the intercom provides what would otherwise go lacking: the steel-hearted humor that's provided by the advertisements, directions, hints, and other phrases that are delivered by the player's observer. One of the only faults I can find is with the challenge levels which I feel are completely off the deep end in terms of difficulty. However, even this fault balances out the only other possible problem, which is how short the game is. These challenges are so difficult they extend the amount of playtime for someone who enjoys the game but becomes bored of reliving the story over and over. Portal is a game I already cherish. Don't believe me? I'll put you on... *OOOoooooo* Hear that? That's how dumb you sound! Expand
  59. Kent
    Apr 25, 2008
    This is possibly one of the most innovative games ever created. It is a great idea that is beautifully executed. It's an awesome puzzle game, and it's even pretty funny. Although there is a lack of texture, it A) fits with the concept and B) is not so boring that you get tired of it. Interesting story and an awesome engine that is great fun to play around with (see a hundred This is possibly one of the most innovative games ever created. It is a great idea that is beautifully executed. It's an awesome puzzle game, and it's even pretty funny. Although there is a lack of texture, it A) fits with the concept and B) is not so boring that you get tired of it. Interesting story and an awesome engine that is great fun to play around with (see a hundred versions of yourself, awesome!). Anyone who reviewed this badly has either done it because they think it needs enemies in it (please explain how that would work...please) its a puzzle game for goodness sake, not a shooter. The rest of the bad reviews are based around the fact that it is too short, firstly it is about half the price of a normal game (and with the orange box it is even less) and secondly things like the achievements and challenges add to the replay value. it is a great game, that explores a really interesting concept. Expand
  60. ArdithM.
    Apr 29, 2008
    I have a very short attention span- it usually takes me days, even *months* to finish a single game. I played Portal in one sitting. got dinner. started again. Thank goodness for a game that finally really made think.
  61. NikkiroxH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Its the first game I've actually finished on PC. I usually get bored of games during game play, but not this one. It was short, but it was incredibly funny. Cracked me up when she was singing at the end. I like cake.
  62. GeorgeT.
    Apr 7, 2008
    The best and most addictive game I've ever played. And the Credit Song is phenomenal.
  63. ShaginjiT.
    Apr 7, 2008
    This game must be one of my favorites, funny from beginning to end, intelligent, and how you must understand physics and puzzles or in other words be more cynical and intelligent to know what your doing. True you do not have to be that cynical and intelligent but its nice to see a game that at least has that element. I give this a 10, and it has made my favorite games list.
  64. LucasS.
    May 9, 2008
    It's the best game I've ever played! I hope that Valve make more levels for this game..!!! WoW!!!
  65. CurtP.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Too short, but awesome gameplay.
  66. TomG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Short, but a damn fun game from beginning to end. If you don't think your PC can run it, you need 256MB of RAM instead of 512. I ran the game at low detail and the levels load within eight seconds.
  67. DaveR
    Jul 7, 2008
    Great game. Good puzzles, funny running commentary. I loved the computer taunting you once you go "off-course".
  68. SteveE.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Awesome game!!!! anyone looking for a fun puzzle game look no futrher!!
  69. GregG.
    Aug 30, 2008
    Portal is one of the best puzzle games of all time, and because it runs off of Source, you know the physics are as real as they are going to get. Simply put, when you reach the last level, you will want to play the game all over again. Say "Hi" to GLADoS for me while your in there.
  70. AlexisP
    Aug 6, 2008
    Funny, surprising, artistic. One of my best digital adventures.
  71. KikB.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Portal is an amazing game! It was fun! I was really satisfied when I finished the game. Now a lot would say that the main problem with Portal is it's length. I thought the length was just right, because if it was longer, it would get repetitive. My only gripe with Portal is that I found a few glitches, but that's just it. So Portal is one of my favourite games that I've Portal is an amazing game! It was fun! I was really satisfied when I finished the game. Now a lot would say that the main problem with Portal is it's length. I thought the length was just right, because if it was longer, it would get repetitive. My only gripe with Portal is that I found a few glitches, but that's just it. So Portal is one of my favourite games that I've played. Now they should make sequel, if they have the time. Expand
  72. AndrewA
    Jan 21, 2010
    Portal is an excellent example of fun with no strings attached. It's enjoyable and compelling without the the need of the "ZOMG I kill big boss zombie thing, I is win" factor. It may be short and simple but that just adds to the charm of the game, making it not too demanding on the player whilst still expecting a certain amount of creative imput. Being very clever with both the level Portal is an excellent example of fun with no strings attached. It's enjoyable and compelling without the the need of the "ZOMG I kill big boss zombie thing, I is win" factor. It may be short and simple but that just adds to the charm of the game, making it not too demanding on the player whilst still expecting a certain amount of creative imput. Being very clever with both the level designs and the witty, dark humored dialoge of GLaDOS, It's a game you can play a million times and still want to play it a million more. Expand
  73. BaileyB
    Jan 3, 2010
    this is a very original game; it's not very often that one can play through a game again and again, knowing how everything goes, and still love it.
  74. HaraldW
    Jan 3, 2010
    Portal is a lot of fun , bought this game instantly after passing the demo and see it as a worth while game. Not a shooter but a puzzle game with backwards thinking needed. Play the demo if you are unsure :) Maybe they make a Portal 2 ? I would definitly approve.
  75. JohnG
    Mar 11, 2010
    I don't know if I have ever played a better computer game in my life. Combining elements from Half Life 2 and other Sci-Fi fantasys this should be the first computer game or the ONLY computer game you ever buy. This is one of the only games that combines your ability to solve problems in an action packed game without getting killed by a sinister robot that lures you in with cake, no I don't know if I have ever played a better computer game in my life. Combining elements from Half Life 2 and other Sci-Fi fantasys this should be the first computer game or the ONLY computer game you ever buy. This is one of the only games that combines your ability to solve problems in an action packed game without getting killed by a sinister robot that lures you in with cake, no joke. I dont know if you could ever think other of Valves incredible game. Expand
  76. BadgerBadger
    Oct 12, 2007
    As everyone says, it's short, but God is it memorable. It's slick, it's smart, and its developers clearly put painstaking thought into every little detail. You just have to be impressed by developers that can make an inanimate object into a beloved character.
  77. RobinW.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Polished and Slick, with a twisted computer voiceover. Fairly short, but fabulously entertaining. Limited replay value though I suspect, but it's exactly the kind of game where fan created content will rule.
  78. AlexL.
    Nov 25, 2007
    Fabulous game, with innovative gameplay and challenging level design. Worth the 50
  79. ConnorC.
    Nov 2, 2007
    I am only giving this an eight because my total play time, through this game is two hours. Thoroughly dissapointed. Some of the level designs advertised were not even included. TF2 was the best buy in the Orange Box.
  80. MalteB.
    Nov 4, 2007
    Awesome physics and logic-gaming with a funny computer-voice and a weighted companion cube ;).
  81. MortenWeber
    Oct 15, 2007
    Really enjoyed gaming this one! Gamestyle is different than normal games, its unique!
    A Real good game for who enjoy Puzzle games! The only Point of disagreing for full 10Points is that the Story is a bit short... hopefully the SDK will be released soon, so the community map editing can begin!

May Blessing of Akatosh upon you!
  82. GregM.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Simply put... what a game should be.... Somewhat short storyline... but the extras (Should you choose to attempt them) will keep you busy for many days to come. One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had... It has all the love and work into it that a homemade apple pie has! It does not seem like just another game out of the assembly line like so much of what we play today! It is Simply put... what a game should be.... Somewhat short storyline... but the extras (Should you choose to attempt them) will keep you busy for many days to come. One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had... It has all the love and work into it that a homemade apple pie has! It does not seem like just another game out of the assembly line like so much of what we play today! It is in its own league! Expand
  83. JosephC.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Quirky and strange - more games need passive/aggressive synthesized robot females villains. Pure quality - Who cares if it's short?
  84. RamsesIICP
    Nov 6, 2007
    Spectacular. Strikes fast and hard, and then wraps it all up in time for tea. Bonus puzzles provide much needed difficulty factor without dragging down the solo game under too much repitition. Portal II when are you?
  85. TomT.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Probably one of the best games I've ever played. It's funny, smart and makes you think. I could go on and on, listing a wide varity of topics, however the only way to truely understand and enjoy this game is to play it, no review or score can do it justice, you cannot grasp the greatness of this game from second hand information, if you want to know why I'm giving it a 10, Probably one of the best games I've ever played. It's funny, smart and makes you think. I could go on and on, listing a wide varity of topics, however the only way to truely understand and enjoy this game is to play it, no review or score can do it justice, you cannot grasp the greatness of this game from second hand information, if you want to know why I'm giving it a 10, go play it. Expand
  86. WesW.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Portal is amazing. You will definitely want to play through the whole story mode on one sitting. It is that much fun. One play-through isn't enough though and you will definitely keep thinking about it and come back for more. The bonus "Advanced" puzzles and challenges are also fun. I wish there was more!
  87. Manny
    Oct 17, 2007
    This game is unlike any of it's kind. Absolutely great work. It is literally a "Game IQ Test" that is extremely fun to play. The first thing that I thought was impossible to accomplish was taking only 10 steps to finish Level 13 on the challenge maps. Ten steps means a gold medal, and I freaked out when I actually got it =D One of the most satisfying times I've ever had in a game.
  88. KorosuI.
    Oct 18, 2007
    The funnier game I've ever played. And that's a point. Everything in Portal is brilliant. Great game, I just can't wait until Valve release some more of Portal.
  89. MB
    Oct 19, 2007
    Entertaining story and top notch gameplay. This is not just a puzzle game, its fun and funny, and even a little creepy. The concept is great and it is a new idea in a genre that needs some fresh air.
  90. DaiH.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Something that people cant grasp, is that its a puzzle game. Its not about killing anything, but trying to succeed in passing the test. It has extensive replayability in the advanced levels and the Portal/Time/Step limited levels, and passing each one gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Now lets hope for some custom puzzles to be released :D.
  91. NicholasJ.
    Nov 9, 2007
    This a very excellent game. It looks like its way beyond excellent for level design, gameplay, and humour. But total play-time is a dissapointment.
  92. DavidJ.
    Dec 21, 2007
    There are a lot of "eight" ratings out there that sound like they'd have been a 10 if the game were longer. Weighing in from the "been a gamer since Pong" demographic, with a job that leaves little time for gaming, I am absolutely thrilled for an outstanding, innovating, SHORT experience. Perfect value for $20. The best game I've played in 2 years.
  93. K.S.
    Oct 20, 2007
    The first and most likely last game I will rate a game here, but I was so impressed with it I just had to push up the user score a bit more (like it needs it pfff). Portal is a breath of fresh air, after years of the same old (FPS type) re-done over hyped (Halo3 *clears throat*) crap they re-release over and over again. I'm happy to say to anyone and everyone that will listen, Portal The first and most likely last game I will rate a game here, but I was so impressed with it I just had to push up the user score a bit more (like it needs it pfff). Portal is a breath of fresh air, after years of the same old (FPS type) re-done over hyped (Halo3 *clears throat*) crap they re-release over and over again. I'm happy to say to anyone and everyone that will listen, Portal is a must have game. Buy it now! Expand
  94. LoveM.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Wonderful humor and well executed puzzles. My best gaming experience in a long time.
  95. JenniferR.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Portal is, I think, simply the best thing Valve has yet produced. It is overly short, but perfect in the time it offers. What it needs most is an utterly user-friendly, simple and easy puzzle level creator. With that, it would shine like a nova.
  96. DouglasA.
    Oct 20, 2007
    One of the best & most addictive games i've ever played, lots of fun good to have a game that is fun, scary and has lots of puzzles without going around killing everyone.
  97. AndrewM.
    Oct 25, 2007
    This is a very entertaining game, although short it is a releaf from the more standard first person shooter. Humorous and worth playing more than once.
  98. LucL.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Best puzzle game ever. Best of both gaming world (Puzzles and FPS).
  99. DavidF.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Excellent, Wonderful! My only complaint is the lack of additional maps and levels of play. I look forward to the future posabilities!
  100. NickR.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Its about time someone realized humor, originality, and fresh gameplay is needed and executed it.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.