9.4

1. Alex
    Dec 8, 2007
    My only complaint about portal is that it's too short ... but only if you don't try doing the challenges and trying to get all the acheivements. Easily one of the most fun games I have ever played.
  2. SamuelL.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Portal is a conceptual heaven with the most innovative use of the FPS genre ever seen. The gameplay is ever enhanced by the seemingly innocent yet malevolent computer AI constantly broadcasting its views to the player. Best play of the year!
  3. ToryN.
    Oct 30, 2007
    How can anyone not rate this a 10? It's the most inventive and intense puzzle game ever, and if you don't think so and you're crying about how it's not another shooter (yes, they are fun, but each one doesn't expand superbly on the next) then go die.
  4. SteveT.
    Oct 30, 2007
    What a refreshing, intelligent and fun concept. I have completed the game in a few hours and can't wait to see how they'll develope this game further. Keep up the great work!
  5. PatrickP.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Nearly flawless game. AMAZING concept, executed extremely well. A subtle amount of story is hidden beneath the game. Epic credits song, and a couple of other cool tracks as well. Graphics are top-notch. The second section of the game is a great atmosphere change. User-created content is already up and running, giving a nearly infinite replayability factor. All in all, an excellent Nearly flawless game. AMAZING concept, executed extremely well. A subtle amount of story is hidden beneath the game. Epic credits song, and a couple of other cool tracks as well. Graphics are top-notch. The second section of the game is a great atmosphere change. User-created content is already up and running, giving a nearly infinite replayability factor. All in all, an excellent experience for a gamer looking for something other than a traditional FPS. Expand
  6. JohnH.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Seriously, this is quite possibly the most entertaining three hours I have had in years of video game playing.
  7. AndrejL.
    Jan 20, 2008
    If you asked me what's my best game before this game came out I couldn't be able to give you straight anwser... After playing Portal it became by far the best game I have ever played (sorry HL). The whole experiance of playing through this game was amazing. Trully an epic classic!
  8. AaronY.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Paired down to a short blazing game, every second is great puzzle sleuthing and hillarious GLaDOS dialouge. I doubt there will be another game this phenomenally good for many years. I do hope that Valve continues to connect the "Aperture Science," and "Black Mesa," worlds. Their sum would be greater than their parts.
  9. melindawyers
    Jan 27, 2008
    The Orange Box should have been labeled "Portal and Friends"
  10. DanielY.
    Jan 3, 2008
    This is the single greatest PC game of 2007. It is creative and original. The commentary alone would be a great game. If I didn't get to look at what was happening on screen the game would rate higher than 90% of the rehashed garbage of 2007. In an industry which promotes money-making as priority one and entertainment as a bi-product of a standardized game Portal makes a statement. This is the single greatest PC game of 2007. It is creative and original. The commentary alone would be a great game. If I didn't get to look at what was happening on screen the game would rate higher than 90% of the rehashed garbage of 2007. In an industry which promotes money-making as priority one and entertainment as a bi-product of a standardized game Portal makes a statement. It dares to be bold and different, do not let the length of the game dismay you. It's long enough to keep you entertained for a few hours and as a part of an essential game package (orange box) is a definite must have. Expand
  11. HenrikH.
    Jan 30, 2008
    Fantastic game. First is the innovative gameplay, Portal is the first game in over a decay that actually delivers a new kind of gameplay to game. Second is the humor, GLaDOS sarcastic, ironic lies about cake is well placed through the hole game and it gets better by the time. A little minus is the lenght but the overall game is fantastic.
  12. JoshU.
    Jan 3, 2008
    A refreshing break from the hardcore, mindless violence of most other titles, Portal manages to create a deep and believable world with only a short amount of gameplay. In-game characters like the android turrets and faithful companion cube, although they play relatively small parts in gameplay, are nonetheless among the most memorable of all game characters from this year. The ending A refreshing break from the hardcore, mindless violence of most other titles, Portal manages to create a deep and believable world with only a short amount of gameplay. In-game characters like the android turrets and faithful companion cube, although they play relatively small parts in gameplay, are nonetheless among the most memorable of all game characters from this year. The ending credits took me completely off guard, but cemented the fact that this game was very deliberately and perfectly made. Expand
  13. JamesT.
    Feb 11, 2008
    I think this game was beautiful every class was great as well as it makes you properly use teamwork to win on big servers. I just loved it.
  14. MaximC.
    Feb 17, 2008
    Oh, yes! It's really the Best Game!
  15. LordW.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Fooking brilliant game. Perfect down to the exit song! Shame it wasn't longer. How about combining Half-Life with Portal? You could make the enemy shoot at themselves. You could sneak up behind the enemy and twat them. Could be interesting, no?
  16. KitrinaY.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Way too short, but for the intensity of the puzzles and being forced to think outside of the box.. brilliant! Simply brilliant! I'd love it more if it had a sequel.
  17. RyanS>
    Feb 3, 2008
    Portal is a great game. It's challenging in the later levels, but do-able. Yes, the main game may be quite short, but while it is there, its brilliant. Some of the challenges seem almost stupidly difficult, i.e the step limit, but there's so much satisfaction from getting the vanilla crazy cake at the end of the 6th advanced map. Best thing is, my lousy graphics card can run it Portal is a great game. It's challenging in the later levels, but do-able. Yes, the main game may be quite short, but while it is there, its brilliant. Some of the challenges seem almost stupidly difficult, i.e the step limit, but there's so much satisfaction from getting the vanilla crazy cake at the end of the 6th advanced map. Best thing is, my lousy graphics card can run it on high! So pretty. Expand
  18. MRBunny
    Feb 5, 2008
    So scared were we all that the fps genre would die away, because of a lot of repetitiveness. Valve has proven even us greatest critics all wrong. Good on them i say, good on them. Best game I have played in a long time. Though short, a major challenge. 11/10 From MR Bunny
  19. JaredG.
    Feb 7, 2008
    This game proves you can have fun in a FPS without actually shooting anybody.
  20. DougV.
    Feb 8, 2008
    Can't wait for Portal 2, although it's hard to imagine what could be done to maintain the atmosphere of the first offering.
  21. ChrisJ.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Whilst this game is relatively short, it is probably one of the most important games ever made. The puzzles are sublime and the script often had me in tears of laughter. I only wish it was longer.
  22. FranciscoS.
    Feb 9, 2008
    An excellent game, full of mystery and action but with the use of your brains too. My favorite single player game.
  23. JarettE.
    Mar 1, 2008
    I hear the gameplay is short over and over again. Sure it was short but getting the acheivments takes time and practice. The campaign type thing was tight but it didn't take that long to compleate. It's worth compleating though, and the advanced maps and challenges take up the biggest part of the game really. I would say it's worth buying if you like things that are trippy I hear the gameplay is short over and over again. Sure it was short but getting the acheivments takes time and practice. The campaign type thing was tight but it didn't take that long to compleate. It's worth compleating though, and the advanced maps and challenges take up the biggest part of the game really. I would say it's worth buying if you like things that are trippy and just plain weird. The challenges are a bit annoying though because the steps one is really hard. Expand
  24. LanceM.
    Mar 18, 2008
    This game is genius! I've never played a game that made me laugh as much and made me think as much. Every level I thought was more and more impossible, but when I stopped to think about it, the solution was there waiting for me. The sense of humor from the computer interaction with the player had me in tears laughing. I'm only sorry I finished it so quick.
  25. EmilF.
    Mar 19, 2008
    I like the game because it are so realistics and the sound is so real. Ps the game is very fun and you can sit a complete the game again and again whitout be bored.
  26. SimonL.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Its a challenge to the mind... Really hard sometimes but i finnished it at a day.
  27. AlexanderG.
    Mar 3, 2008
    It is a long loong time i have ever played a more entertaining and suprising game. Love it!
  28. KR.
    Mar 8, 2008
    This game is among the most brilliant games ever made, and anyone who denies that isn't thinking properly. Nobody ever listen to IGN or AceGamez ever again. Or Ally D. Also, I have some unprintable things to say about Play (Poland)'s review of this game.
  29. DylanF
    Apr 1, 2008
    This game is a breath of fresh air in an industry where practically every FPS is a ripoff of Quake, Halo, or Half Life. It's been a long time since a game has been so successfully original. The story and gameplay are sublime, and not to mention hilarious. At times you'll be laughing out loud listening to GLaDOS. There is some excellent writing done here and it really shows. The This game is a breath of fresh air in an industry where practically every FPS is a ripoff of Quake, Halo, or Half Life. It's been a long time since a game has been so successfully original. The story and gameplay are sublime, and not to mention hilarious. At times you'll be laughing out loud listening to GLaDOS. There is some excellent writing done here and it really shows. The main gripe people have about it is that it's short, which is true; you'll probably finish it in 2-4 hours. But it's short and sweet, the level of enjoyment will only increase the further you progress goes out with a bang. Absolutely stunning from start to finish and you'll love every second of it, I know I did. Expand
  30. TimothyO.
    Apr 11, 2008
    While Portal is short, it's perfectly so, as it draws you in, and keeps you occupied for the perfect amount of time. Plus, any game that has me thinking for over 15 minutes on a specific puzzle has to get my vote. Remember, the cake is a Lie.....
  31. JoeL.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Very entertaining game, I can honestly say I enjoyed every challenge in Portal. The gameplay was unique and I wish there was more to it after the end. Amazing game.
  32. BrandenH.
    Apr 9, 2008
    I agree with CE. This is an amazing game. Especally if you enjoyed the "mini puzzles" from Half Life 2. This is one of the most inovative games of the year, and i would give it a 10. The only problem is that it is a little short. I am only taking off one point because how long can you expect a puzzle game to be? Anyway this is a great game and I highly recommend picking it up next time I agree with CE. This is an amazing game. Especally if you enjoyed the "mini puzzles" from Half Life 2. This is one of the most inovative games of the year, and i would give it a 10. The only problem is that it is a little short. I am only taking off one point because how long can you expect a puzzle game to be? Anyway this is a great game and I highly recommend picking it up next time you see it. Its a great deal with the rest of the orange box! Expand
  33. SageR.
    May 1, 2008
    One of the best, if not THE best game on the market today, You absolutely have to try this!
  34. MatthewB.
    May 5, 2008
    A genius game that has a revolutionary concept (for mainstream, so ignoring Narbacular Drop), mystery and intrigue, twists and turns and cake. Or not. This is a game that does not outstay its welcome, but rather achieves what it sets out to achieve with great effect in a short time frame. Buy it now.
  35. JonathanF.
    May 8, 2008
    This is by far the best game I've ever played. Everything about it was well done, and there's not a single thing I can think to complain about.
  36. CharlieG
    Jun 12, 2008
    Innovative, original and witty.
  37. ChrisP
    Jun 19, 2008
    The best,shortest,funniest, game ever made.
  38. JubalB.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Immediately after Portal's release, I played it all the way through five times before I played anything else. It's actually that good. And the ending song cracks me up. This game and its developers certainly deserve all the awards they gathered from Portal.
  39. Jack
    Jul 16, 2008
    While the advanced bonus levels were too frustrating for me, this game was dizzyingly fun and fantastic providing me with hours of enjoyment. I HIGHLY recommend it. Considering the price, I doubt you'll regret it.
  40. DanN.
    Jul 21, 2008
    Anyone who gave this game anything less then 8 is stupid and just trying to put a good game down.
  41. MariusG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Best game Valve has ever made! lets just hope A sequel is coming.
  42. KenS.
    Jul 9, 2008
    Crazy revolutionary game that will you bind to your computer seat. Ive got just a single Approach: its to short. (sry 4 eventually bad English).
  43. JimmyG
    Aug 30, 2008
    Awesome game. Finally a game that involves more thinking than just shooting (not that I don't like shooting...), but it is good to get a little variety. Great game, loads of fun to play, and of course, the voice over the PA is really funny.
  44. DH
    Aug 3, 2008
    this is the best game i have ever played in my life. Makes you think very hard at points, and always requires you to think outside the box. The voice acting is excellent and if you listen to what is said you will undoubtedly be laughing from start to finish, but you will still be aware that the game has an aire of seriousness. The game flows very well and keeps you enthralled for all of this is the best game i have ever played in my life. Makes you think very hard at points, and always requires you to think outside the box. The voice acting is excellent and if you listen to what is said you will undoubtedly be laughing from start to finish, but you will still be aware that the game has an aire of seriousness. The game flows very well and keeps you enthralled for all of the 2-4 hours you will be playing this. As i said, 2-4 hours, this game is very very short compared to other valve games, and even compared to the vast majority of other games made, but this is a brilliant move by valve, because you can, in one sitting, whether you are a hardcore or casual gamer, finish this game, meaning everything about it is still clear in your mind and you remained immersed. Immersion is a thing that can make or break any game, but if the game keeps you thinking you are that person and in that situation, then chances are, its a hit. Portal does this brilliantly and the only thing that brings you back to your senses is the trademark valve loading screen. The 'point and shoot' element that is in it is a brilliant innovation, destroying things, manipulating the environment and destroying a boss (in one of the best and most unpredicted boss fights to fall in any game) with a very very clever but non-violent weapon. This makes the idea that you have to think a lot, and enforces that you have to think a lot to complete this, very much stronger. This is one of the simplest games every made, but as i have said many times in this review, requires you to think outside the box greatly. Although the game is very simple to play, hardcore gamers who want a challenge have it, as portal has achievements you must get (anyone who can keep the radio from start to finish deserves a medal and the money they paid for the game back, never mind an achievement). These vary from fairly simple things, such as complete a section of the game, to difficult ones such as complete an area in a set amount of time or with a maximum number of portals, to the downright insane, such as the radio one i said before and falling 500ft, and as there are no 500ft drops in the game, valve are, once again, making you think very hard about how to do this I wish i could give this masterpiece 100000 out of 10, but as that isn't aloud, I'll just have to live with only being able to sing it nowhere near enough praise. Every gamer of every age from everywhere must play this game as it is a truly unique experience, and with portal 2 just around the corner, seems like we will be in for a treat once again. Truly top notch gaming. Expand
  45. PoRTalfReAk
    Sep 4, 2008
    Anyone who says it has no story must either be a personal friend of Hillary Clinton or have no ears. In case you didn't notice, GladOs is an insane computer that wants to be free, and due to the fact that she was designed to not be able to shut herself down, the only way to do that is to torture you with tests so you eventually get hacked off enough at her (it was really painful to Anyone who says it has no story must either be a personal friend of Hillary Clinton or have no ears. In case you didn't notice, GladOs is an insane computer that wants to be free, and due to the fact that she was designed to not be able to shut herself down, the only way to do that is to torture you with tests so you eventually get hacked off enough at her (it was really painful to have to kill the Companion Cube) to try and kill her. And you can tell how dissapointed she is that her plan failed (she cleary states in the ending song that she "is happy to be still alive" and, but she is a lying bowl of sarcasm, which she states herself after revealing that the cake "is a lie".) So you guys who think it has no story or give it a zero, you must either be deaf, or play way too much GTA and Halo, where the story is so obvious that you need no intellengence to play it. Unfortunatley for you, Portal requires that you be smart. Once again, Valve has outdone themselves. Expand
  46. NikitaM
    Dec 13, 2009
    Most amazing game i have ever played in. The campaign is so unic. And I wish there could be an online game of portal.
  47. AlejandroF.
    May 10, 2009
    Portal concep idea is great, the idea of a innocent machine gun and main computer watching you is great, sound effects and graphics great, many option to resolve puzzles great... in resume GREAT GAME!!! Congratulations Guys.
  48. GabeT
    May 6, 2009
    One of the best games I have ever played. Short, but shows off a wonderful mechanic, and has amusing, albiet nearly invisible characters.
  49. EzraB
    Jun 3, 2009
    This is an awesome game, but remember that if you find it too short, or too easy, try out the Source SDK and make a mod to keep you busy. But is it really worth complaining? You decided to spend your money, and you're the one who beat it. It's not like you didn't get to play. This game is officially one of the best I've seen, and I've seen a lot of games. Also, This is an awesome game, but remember that if you find it too short, or too easy, try out the Source SDK and make a mod to keep you busy. But is it really worth complaining? You decided to spend your money, and you're the one who beat it. It's not like you didn't get to play. This game is officially one of the best I've seen, and I've seen a lot of games. Also, don't use the excuse "I don't know how to use Source SDK" because the internet is an infinite resource. Expand
  50. AlexC.
    Jul 2, 2009
    People giving this game a 1 should read the title you morons its called "Portal" thats the game so you should of read the title before paying 20 bucks i personally beat it 3 hours its a good game kind of hard but dont just give it a 0 cause its easy we know that it was supposed to be an introducter to a new game there making so i hate h8ters PS.READ THE TITLE.
  51. AnthonyP
    Jul 30, 2009
    Great game, really tests your problem solving. I love how with source SDK, you can make your own maps, and its hilarious. love the computer that talks to you. "companion cube" "you will be baked, and then there will be cake".
  52. JoeM
    Jan 21, 2010
    Quick, fun, and challenging at times, Portal is a game that is hard not to notice. With an encouraging overseer the first-person, large scale puzzles make for an inovative and brain stimulating experience.
  53. ChrisM
    Jan 7, 2010
    I've beaten it countless times, and even though it doesn't have as much replay value as a multiplayer game, it will always be my favorite game.
  54. EthanT.
    Apr 5, 2010
    I thought this game had an amazing concept and I wouldn't recommend buying it separately for $20 instead I would buy it with the orange box for $20. And for all you ney sayers who say its to short and easy its because valve were worried that people woudent like it so they made it short and put it safely in the orange box with games you knew like half life 2. And so portal was(and I thought this game had an amazing concept and I wouldn't recommend buying it separately for $20 instead I would buy it with the orange box for $20. And for all you ney sayers who say its to short and easy its because valve were worried that people woudent like it so they made it short and put it safely in the orange box with games you knew like half life 2. And so portal was(and still is)the best game EVER!!!!!! Expand
  55. TomH.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Beautifully well-judged, original and engaging. Offbeat slightly spooky, slightly humourous world - like 2001 or Dark Star. Challenging. Stylish. Self-contained. Short but sweet. Whether you are a regular gamer, or someone who normally prefers TV or movies, you should try Portal. It's different, in a good way.
  56. JustinM.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Portal is a spectacular game with tons of features and a great idea. I loved the entire game, especially the computer's voice and dialogue. The plot and the game itself blew me away. I liked this game more than all the other games in the Orange Box package.
  57. CarsenK.
    Nov 16, 2007
    This game has got to be at least one of the top unique games of 2007! Very unique game play and is certainly a top competitor.
  58. HawkE.
    Nov 16, 2007
    This game is great. the game play is fantastic and the portal gun is a fun new toy to use.
  59. SebastianD.
    Nov 1, 2007
    With an engineer-ish sense of humor, this game feels fresh and innovative. Funny and with an atmosphere reminiscent of Black Mesa, Portal recovers much of the spirit of the old Half-Life It feels a little bit short, but it is an overall great game! Go get it.
  60. MrT.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Best SP game I've played in a long long time. And one of the best endings to agame in a good while too. Far more enyable than HL2 and all its episodes.
  61. TreyK.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Excellent gameplay, concept, and execution. Awesome and humorous ending. Only falls short of perfect for being a very short play. Well worth the money though, cannot wait to see what players create for it.
  62. MattN.
    Oct 12, 2007
    This was absolutely one of the best games I have ever played. Valve outdoes itself in greatness with nearly every test. The storyline is amazingly woven not just in intense dialog and experience, but also with the semi-secret rooms and well-made writing on the wall. Also included is the best song in any game I've ever played. The only fault I witnessed in my 15 hours of gameplay so This was absolutely one of the best games I have ever played. Valve outdoes itself in greatness with nearly every test. The storyline is amazingly woven not just in intense dialog and experience, but also with the semi-secret rooms and well-made writing on the wall. Also included is the best song in any game I've ever played. The only fault I witnessed in my 15 hours of gameplay so far is that in game, the second portal is orange, while in the keyboard options tab, it is denoted as red. A simple coding and communication problem, I'm sure. Overall, Portal is worth anyone's time and money and so much more. As a final thought, you actually play as a girl! Which is unheard of in most shooter games, sans Perfect Dark. Expand
  63. AndrewD.
    Nov 24, 2007
    A very good game with a very creative but short storyline. The gameplay was very well thought out and the ending was brilliant and well done, this game made my day and might well be one of the best this year.
  64. PeerB.
    Nov 2, 2007
    The best game in years. Had some hype, but unlike other hyped games did keep up to what it promised and had even more to give.
  65. VenomousClaw
    Oct 12, 2007
    Portal is, although only resonably short, an innovative step forward. I can't think of another game that challenges the player to think about the effects of force, speed and gravity in a 360 degree way. "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." It's easy to get to grips with right from the beginning, the lab computer 'GLaDOS' leads you onward towards your final Portal is, although only resonably short, an innovative step forward. I can't think of another game that challenges the player to think about the effects of force, speed and gravity in a 360 degree way. "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." It's easy to get to grips with right from the beginning, the lab computer 'GLaDOS' leads you onward towards your final goal, while saying sinister and sometimes pure comedy genious lines. "Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck." Oh, and the level with the Companion Cube has the funniest pictures and quotes I've seen in a Valve game. Expand
  66. ShadowCannon
    Oct 13, 2007
    Mind bending fun and the crazy computer GLaDOS made me laugh all the way through. The game may only take 2 to 5 hours on your first run, but I have never played a game which has been so entertaining all the way until the end. It will take longer to finish the bonus maps and complete the achievements. If you don't buy the orage box, be sure to pick up this!
  67. AndrewW.
    Nov 3, 2007
    This is probably the best game I have played all year. Whether it be the innovative puzzles you must solve or the hilarious dialog, this game has what it takes to be awesome and replayable for at least the next year.
  68. AnonymousMC
    Oct 13, 2007
    I can only think that any reviewer that did not rate this a 10 is a thinking much to traditional in a review philosophy.
    Yes, its short. But does that not keep short stories from being some of the best literature of all time. Plus you can't use the price point as a reason that it should be longer since it comes with TF2 and EP2.
    Hands down, there has not been a game so
    Hands down, there has not been a game so unique in the delivery of a narrative, so brilliant in its humor, and so outright thrilling an experience. If this were any longer than 3 hrs, it would have just become a watered down, less spectacular experience
  69. IanQ.
    Nov 3, 2007
    This game is such a masterpiece of current game technology. Valve manages to beautifully combine detail, humor, intensity, and brain twisting puzzles into a single game. The ONLY reason i could not give this a 14 (out of 10) was because it was too short! Valve needs to fling out some serious downloadable content in the future. All in all, the game was fantastic, it is definetly worth This game is such a masterpiece of current game technology. Valve manages to beautifully combine detail, humor, intensity, and brain twisting puzzles into a single game. The ONLY reason i could not give this a 14 (out of 10) was because it was too short! Valve needs to fling out some serious downloadable content in the future. All in all, the game was fantastic, it is definetly worth buying (along with the other games in the O.B.) don't think about it, buy it. Expand
  70. BrandonV.
    Nov 30, 2007
    In short, a brilliant game let down by it's initial lack of difficulty and being exceptionally short. Only thing keeping this from getting a 10 from me is how incredibly short it is. The initial lack of difficulty is made up for by the challanges you can do (which can be very challenging). Overall, enjoyable, but don't expect it to keep you entertained for more than 4 hours. In short, a brilliant game let down by it's initial lack of difficulty and being exceptionally short. Only thing keeping this from getting a 10 from me is how incredibly short it is. The initial lack of difficulty is made up for by the challanges you can do (which can be very challenging). Overall, enjoyable, but don't expect it to keep you entertained for more than 4 hours. Let's hope the mapping community will sort that out for us? Expand
  71. ColbyG.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Deffinetly one of the most innovative games I've played. There is suspense, comedy, of course some violence.... they we're all managed to combine together to create a great game....Think of it this way...you could go to a movie theater pay close to $10 to see one movie or you could buy Portal which is just as long a movie but you actually take part in it.
  72. BradJ.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Mind bending play, great comedy. I want MORE!
  73. RobertC.
    Oct 14, 2007
    A sweet little vignette of a game. It's genuinely hilarious and chilling, completely innovative and compelling, it actually completely deserves a 10, as representative of everything about it:graphics, gameplay, length and story. As intriguing and exciting as the game itself are the possibilities it has opened to the rest of the gaming world. The things to come from Portal will be A sweet little vignette of a game. It's genuinely hilarious and chilling, completely innovative and compelling, it actually completely deserves a 10, as representative of everything about it:graphics, gameplay, length and story. As intriguing and exciting as the game itself are the possibilities it has opened to the rest of the gaming world. The things to come from Portal will be felt in the games of tomorrow, and for a long while after. Expand
  74. GregS.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Brilliant, engaging, unique, replayable and fun... but too short.
  75. JohnD.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Innovative, fun gameplay. Well mixed with Half-Life's outstandingly creepy atomsphere. Never boring. And a surprisingly enjoyable ending (in an age where game endings are usually a let down).
  76. JonT.
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game is a masterpiece. Yes, it's short, but you will be thinking about it for years to come. The mix of puzzle, humor, and terror (in tiny doses) is artistic and engaging. Get this game.
  77. ErickK.
    Nov 5, 2007
    I have never been so disappointed to get to the end of a game until I heard the end credit music. PERFECT! This is the best and most original, game story and voice acting I have ever encountered, and the game play is truly engaging, unique and addictive. Valve MUST RELEASE a longer Portal 2.0! The cake is a lie!
  78. FelyzaW.
    Oct 15, 2007
    I absolutely love the game. I'm in Quality Assurance for EA Sports, and play alot of sports titles at work, and do MMOs of all shapes and sizes at home, along with a plethora of other things. Out of the games of the last 15 years that truly struck me as an all-out-must play, this is the first. Innovative gameplay, simple and easy to learn controls, short story with high replay value I absolutely love the game. I'm in Quality Assurance for EA Sports, and play alot of sports titles at work, and do MMOs of all shapes and sizes at home, along with a plethora of other things. Out of the games of the last 15 years that truly struck me as an all-out-must play, this is the first. Innovative gameplay, simple and easy to learn controls, short story with high replay value (can you do things faster or more accurately). The voice acting is truly top notch, and in the end, the credits are hand down, best credits I have -ever- seen in a game. I'm credited in several, and have played hundreds. I can't wait until the sound track is released, solely for the end credits song. Expand
  79. ThaTyger
    Nov 5, 2007
    The game concept is very intresting, and also very original. However the settings are a bit wierd, and the story is pretty wierd as well. The game is short, and pretty straight forward. The big challange is to get all the challange maps on gold, but since there is no real reward most people will just ignore that part. The ingame dialogs add some good humor, and the voice acting is very The game concept is very intresting, and also very original. However the settings are a bit wierd, and the story is pretty wierd as well. The game is short, and pretty straight forward. The big challange is to get all the challange maps on gold, but since there is no real reward most people will just ignore that part. The ingame dialogs add some good humor, and the voice acting is very good. So overall a good, but short and depth lacking game. (the references to HL where a very bad idea imo) Expand
  80. JeffC.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Most original game I've played ever, perhaps. Great fun, very satisfying and challenging. Awesome little song at the end!
  81. S.P.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Very good and interesting game, but maybe too short
  82. HuxleyH.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Portal is near-flawless. It is an absolutely sparkling gem, perfectly cut. It is so good, in fact, that it may well be worth the price of Orange Box admission by itself. It's witty, funny, smart, and absolutely ingenious in every way. The sole flaw is that it's quite short - but that's genuinely difficult to fault, because the two to three hours it takes to finish are Portal is near-flawless. It is an absolutely sparkling gem, perfectly cut. It is so good, in fact, that it may well be worth the price of Orange Box admission by itself. It's witty, funny, smart, and absolutely ingenious in every way. The sole flaw is that it's quite short - but that's genuinely difficult to fault, because the two to three hours it takes to finish are absolute gaming nirvana. Expand
  83. JensJ.
    Oct 16, 2007
    This game and the concept behind it are truely awesome, I can not think of another game that surprised and entertained me so much during play, Sure it is short, very short but Valve never tried to make us believe it wouldnt be. Portal will forever be one first games I mention if I asked what my favorite games are.
  84. AdamH.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Wonderful game; fascinating puzzles, great humour, nice twist at the end. Only downside: a bit too short.
  85. Djaxn
    Oct 16, 2007
    Hands down, the finest Source Engine modification to date. With one weapon--not even a weapon, rather a device--one can unfold miles of space, step around the next corner, fall through the floor and out the ceiling, or fling oneself up to a seemingly inaccessible outcrop, all the while violating no precept Newton held dear. I must confess, it makes my mind wonder what my brain'sHands down, the finest Source Engine modification to date. With one weapon--not even a weapon, rather a device--one can unfold miles of space, step around the next corner, fall through the floor and out the ceiling, or fling oneself up to a seemingly inaccessible outcrop, all the while violating no precept Newton held dear. I must confess, it makes my mind wonder what my brain's been wasting its time with for the last two hypothetical time cycles. Bravo, Valve! You deserve to take the cake, and eat it too. Expand
  86. TasonS.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant, I have so many idea on how these could be implemented into levels for a game/mod. Looking forward to see what others would do for levels. Unfortunately not the greatest replayability in these levels, but definitely need to play through it at least once!
  87. DwainV.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant game! Forces you to think with a part of your brain you've never had to use before, makes you wonder what the Valve guys will come up with next...can't wait!
  88. Gash
    Oct 17, 2007
    This game provided me with so much fun! Its innoccent and simple. It doesn't demand much but certainly delivers
  89. TimB.
    Oct 17, 2007
    Fantastic, funny, the very definition of entertaining.
  90. BrendanM.
    Oct 17, 2007
    This game is a masterpiece. Theres plenty of ways to challenge yourself after beating the sort of short story line, but the storyline itself you will definately not forget. play through the advanced stages and time trials / other challenge levels. i can see this game definately going furthur, and if youve played episode two by now you probably noticed it will! Play the developer This game is a masterpiece. Theres plenty of ways to challenge yourself after beating the sort of short story line, but the storyline itself you will definately not forget. play through the advanced stages and time trials / other challenge levels. i can see this game definately going furthur, and if youve played episode two by now you probably noticed it will! Play the developer commentary version of the game after your first run through, it helps to understand the true genious that went into this game, and how perfect it ended up. Expand
  91. MikeH.
    Oct 17, 2007
    It was short, but had the best script writing ever. the quotes from GlaDOS were hilarious. can't wait for more and i'm curious to see how Valve will tie Half Life in w/ Portal. I wouldn't suggest buying just Portal, but instead get it w/ the Orange Box bundle offer.
  92. Paul
    Oct 17, 2007
    I love this game. (I reserve a 10 for the very best games.) Great thing is, I'm 40 and loved it, but I don't hesitate to let my 8 year old niece play it. The only "violence" is the player's own death, which is no more gruesome than PacMan's balloon shrinking death. No profanity, etc... so it's great for kids AND it's good for their minds too... developing I love this game. (I reserve a 10 for the very best games.) Great thing is, I'm 40 and loved it, but I don't hesitate to let my 8 year old niece play it. The only "violence" is the player's own death, which is no more gruesome than PacMan's balloon shrinking death. No profanity, etc... so it's great for kids AND it's good for their minds too... developing spacial awareness in an amazingly fun way. This game doesn't set out to be educational, but I believe it builds intelligence in young minds. Expand
  93. Andy
    Oct 17, 2007
    Fantastic. Haven't laughed so hard in ages, there are some very, very disturbed people who built this game. Combined with the very unique ideas, I enjoyed it tremendously.
  94. MikhailP.
    Nov 8, 2007
    Just the Best! I have never ever seen something like this! I don't like FPS at all (except some multiplayers) but this game is amazing. Completed it a few times, beated all advanced maps and want some more!
  95. GordonJ.
    Oct 18, 2007
    For me it was what made my 40ish dollar purchase of the orange box complete. Ep2 was Sw00t, but being episodic, short. So getin Portal with it made it worth the money. (not to mention hl2 and ep1 come with that as well but I already had 'em.) But what made Portal great was the humour from the computer voice as you worked you're way through the physics puzzles and what not. I For me it was what made my 40ish dollar purchase of the orange box complete. Ep2 was Sw00t, but being episodic, short. So getin Portal with it made it worth the money. (not to mention hl2 and ep1 come with that as well but I already had 'em.) But what made Portal great was the humour from the computer voice as you worked you're way through the physics puzzles and what not. I almost pissed myself laughing at quite a few parts, especially the end credits. I'd give it a 10 even if I purchased it alone. Expand
  96. Pondus2D2D
    Oct 18, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant! The comments from the "computer villan" were sometimes so hilarious that I had to stop playing just to finish laughing. The whole consept of the game is just SO different from any other game, this is a definitive MUST try. I'll admit; the first 10 minutes, I didn't understand what the heck was going on, but after 20 minutes I was very curious of what Absolutely brilliant! The comments from the "computer villan" were sometimes so hilarious that I had to stop playing just to finish laughing. The whole consept of the game is just SO different from any other game, this is a definitive MUST try. I'll admit; the first 10 minutes, I didn't understand what the heck was going on, but after 20 minutes I was very curious of what happens next, and after an hour, I was lost in the game. Expand
  97. JohnG.
    Oct 19, 2007
    This game is very uniqe and very new. Though it is very short game (2+ hours first playthrough), it is memorable, highly addictive, and there will be cake.
  98. MikeA.
    Oct 19, 2007
    An innovative and entertaining experience!
  99. MegsY.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Amazing, innovative game play with the engine we know and love. I highly recommend it.
  100. DavidP.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Short but oh, so sweet. So very fun. The game manages to train you and make you feel clever at the same time, and they do a good job of not stumping you for too long. The ending has geeky brilliance. I haven't enjoyed the ending music this much since I finished Zelda 3 (12 years ago). The ending song has been in my head all week long. Almost continuously. Buy a cake and be prepared Short but oh, so sweet. So very fun. The game manages to train you and make you feel clever at the same time, and they do a good job of not stumping you for too long. The ending has geeky brilliance. I haven't enjoyed the ending music this much since I finished Zelda 3 (12 years ago). The ending song has been in my head all week long. Almost continuously. Buy a cake and be prepared to eat it when you finish the game! You deserve it! (By the way, you may enjoy an increased field-of-view. In console, type "sv_cheats 1", then "fov 95".) Expand

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.