9.4

1. Jul 23, 2012
    If the score of a game is an indication of how much of an impression it made on you, I think most would agree Portal ranks at the top. Writing comedy is hard, and finding such memorable and hilarious comedy in a video game is incredibly rare. The fact that Portal manages to contain just that, while being highly original and thought-provoking, demonstrates just what a work of genius it is.If the score of a game is an indication of how much of an impression it made on you, I think most would agree Portal ranks at the top. Writing comedy is hard, and finding such memorable and hilarious comedy in a video game is incredibly rare. The fact that Portal manages to contain just that, while being highly original and thought-provoking, demonstrates just what a work of genius it is. If any game can be held up as an example of art, this is it. Valve are the masters at creating compelling and immersive environments- and the setting of Aperture can easily feel real. GLaDOS is the perfect example of how fantastic writing and acting can create a beloved character. Portal is gaming at its finest- truly a genre-defining title, and one that will leave the player both wanting and satisfied at its conclusion. Expand
  2. May 7, 2012
    Eight hours of pure fun. Short and sweet. It's cheap and you'll love it. Grab it. How to describe it? It is a puzzle game. It doesn't take itself too seriously and it has an excellent sense of humour. GET IT.
  3. Feb 25, 2012
    This review was meant for Dear Esther: Portal 2 was a hight 10 for me I LOVE Portal 2. Dear Esther was a low 1 for me. Did not enjoy Dear Esther. Waste of my time sorry. I felt the potential for this game to be almost what Myst was when it first started that genre of story driven games. However, I very quickly found myself bored and I love English accent narrations especially but it wasn'tThis review was meant for Dear Esther: Portal 2 was a hight 10 for me I LOVE Portal 2. Dear Esther was a low 1 for me. Did not enjoy Dear Esther. Waste of my time sorry. I felt the potential for this game to be almost what Myst was when it first started that genre of story driven games. However, I very quickly found myself bored and I love English accent narrations especially but it wasn't enough to hold me to the end. I found myself aimlessly wandering around. I couldn't pick up anything nor save the game. Not for me this game had potential it was beautiful the scenery.â Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2012
    This simply is a great game the story is simple and funny but still quite strong it doesn't go on for to long and the mechanics themselves feel refreshing unlike the stale mass produced FPS games that are released on a monthly bases. This game never bored me and it actually is one of few none strategy/fight/race/etc. games that actually made me feel like replaying it (far) more than justThis simply is a great game the story is simple and funny but still quite strong it doesn't go on for to long and the mechanics themselves feel refreshing unlike the stale mass produced FPS games that are released on a monthly bases. This game never bored me and it actually is one of few none strategy/fight/race/etc. games that actually made me feel like replaying it (far) more than just once. Even tough the levels are quite small it gave a huge feeling of freedom because the rooms just seemed infinitely bigger when you were allowed to portal trough them. For those who are done playing the original levels there still are a lot of player made levels that grant an even bigger (or lesser) challenge. Expand
  5. Apr 9, 2012
    This was a brilliant break to the Multiplayer's and Singleplayer's that currently flood this market. If your addicted to half life, call of duty, gears of war, halo, or any other of these great games and you find yourself wanting a little more then I suggest portal. I found myself enjoying every puzzle, all challenges and the great and amusing story line. This game can amuse you whetherThis was a brilliant break to the Multiplayer's and Singleplayer's that currently flood this market. If your addicted to half life, call of duty, gears of war, halo, or any other of these great games and you find yourself wanting a little more then I suggest portal. I found myself enjoying every puzzle, all challenges and the great and amusing story line. This game can amuse you whether your on console or PC, but if you are on PC you'll get the chance to experience the community made maps adding several extra hours of fun. But there is a downfall to this fun including the puzzle as if you find it hard to complete puzzles then this is not the game for you, it's puzzle after puzzle after puzzle. So do I recommend this game yes but if your not a puzzle person then I suggest trying out the console version first as you'll have a chance to return it if it does not live up to your expectations. Expand
  6. Mar 22, 2012
    Witty, progressive, and simple. Pushes the standards of 3D puzzle-games to a new and intriguing realm. A must play for any puzzle-game fan, but probably not for the fans of conventional 'shoot-em-up' FPS games.
  7. Apr 1, 2012
    For me, this game is better than Portal 2, because even as a small game, he has a great story, but the game is kind of easy. Only the Advanced Chambers, in the Bonus Maps, are more difficult.
  8. Aug 14, 2012
    Valve have always treated PC games to the best in gaming entertainment. Now arrives a new IP from the studio's responsible for Half-Life. Portal is a 90 minute first person puzzle game set in the remains of Aperture Science, Black Mesa's only rival in the realms of science. You play Chell, the only remaining test subject for the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, or in layman's termsValve have always treated PC games to the best in gaming entertainment. Now arrives a new IP from the studio's responsible for Half-Life. Portal is a 90 minute first person puzzle game set in the remains of Aperture Science, Black Mesa's only rival in the realms of science. You play Chell, the only remaining test subject for the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, or in layman's terms the Portal gun. As you are set to complete test chambers created by GLaDOS, the corrupt computer program running Aperture. Chell must escape Aperture and destroy GLaDOS to make sure these experiments never continue. It plays like any Valve FPS and looks like Half-Life 2 but a lot more sterile (white). Portal is one of those rare gems that come around every now and again (usually from Valve) that change the way games work, they change the way games are seen and they change the way games are played. Portal is one in a million. Expand
  9. Apr 7, 2012
    In my humble opinion Portal represents the pinnacle of game design. With it's utterly unique and creative game mechanics, and intelligent level designs, Portal proves that a puzzle game can be much more enjoyable than the horde of First Person Shooters that dominate the gaming industry.
  10. Apr 15, 2012
    If finished the game at least 5 times, it is short but very fun to play. Getting the achievments is also very funny. The game itself may be short, but there are many mods available like e.g. portal prelude, which steps the difficulty up, many custom maps etc etc so you get unlimited play time! The portal concept was very innovative and it's so much fun to play!
  11. Feb 25, 2015
    Portal is sheer brilliance. The gameplay is amazing and innovative, it has hilarious humor, and a good plot. Literally the only big issue is how short it is.
  12. Apr 22, 2012
    I've never been a puzzle games fun but i can say i regretted not buying it sooner, anyway you must think with portals to be able to complete it, this game is not very long but you still a nice challenge, and that mean you have to get this game and the sequel for be able to understand what's really going on down there, anyway both awesome.
  13. Apr 25, 2012
    Five years after it's release I just found out how great game this game is! If you - like me, missed this game, it's not too late to play it. This is a fantastic game, and I recommend you playing this one before you start with the even better sequel!
  14. May 5, 2012
    I enjoy playing this game on both the pc and my PS3. It seems to run better on the pc than portal 2. Even so, I enjoy playing them both equally. What's neat about both games is finding secrets.
  15. May 9, 2012
    Portal is funny, clever and interesting, with an extremely short single player. It simply doesn't beat Portal 2, but still It is amazing. When I was playing this game, It remembers the Half Life 2 atmosphere (quiet and alone). The plot is amazing, but people, why the Users Review for Portal 2 is 8.4, I still can't understand. Anyway, I give 9 points for Portal.
  16. May 10, 2012
    This game is why limited budgets and resources can create games of the highest quality. It's clear that we had a motivated and passionate team who poured their very hearts and souls into this game. They didn't waste resources on useless garbage. The Tutorial IS the gameplay. The story isn't played through boring cutscenes, you interact while the story is conveyed to you by theThis game is why limited budgets and resources can create games of the highest quality. It's clear that we had a motivated and passionate team who poured their very hearts and souls into this game. They didn't waste resources on useless garbage. The Tutorial IS the gameplay. The story isn't played through boring cutscenes, you interact while the story is conveyed to you by the antagonist, a hilarious AI.
    The gameplay is amazing and the physics are just stunning. I could not find a way to describe it..

This is revolutionary and simple. Hardcore gamers and Casual gamers will love this game. After this experience you will be buying all Valve games.
  17. May 19, 2012
    Portal is an amazing game with astoundingly innovative gameplay. It may be short, but it makes up for that with progressive difficulty and good humour.
  18. Mar 9, 2013
    When i first heard about Portal i was a bit sceptical. Could a game where you just place portals really be interesting or challenging? Yes it could. The game is lots of fun and even though the puzzles are't that hard they can still confuse you a bit every now and then. The game was pretty short though and there didn't really happen anything except solving tests in the first half of theWhen i first heard about Portal i was a bit sceptical. Could a game where you just place portals really be interesting or challenging? Yes it could. The game is lots of fun and even though the puzzles are't that hard they can still confuse you a bit every now and then. The game was pretty short though and there didn't really happen anything except solving tests in the first half of the game. Nevertheless a very nice game, i would recommend it to those that doesn't already have it. Expand
  19. Jun 13, 2012
    Portal is a puzzle game like no other, set in a world that seems to defy the odds. You will work your way through twenty something puzzles and discover the world you think you know, is nothing compared to what it really is. It's ingenious and really makes you think in order to progress. If you can think outside of the box you can pass through this game easily while learning about the worldPortal is a puzzle game like no other, set in a world that seems to defy the odds. You will work your way through twenty something puzzles and discover the world you think you know, is nothing compared to what it really is. It's ingenious and really makes you think in order to progress. If you can think outside of the box you can pass through this game easily while learning about the world around you. Expand
  20. Jun 18, 2012
    though the game is incredibly short; it is still impressive. The puzzle's will keep you busy and the cruel humored GlaDoS will keep you entertained. the graphics are your typical valve graphics powered by source.
  21. Jun 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quick and conceptual, Portal is one of the best physics puzzle games I've played yet. It must've been developed well because the voice-acting, amount of puzzles and the puzzles themselves is just one big clump of AWESOMENESS. The only flaw is the program it runs; hl2.exe, which I'm guessing is Half-Life 2. They forgot to make the game "itself" if that makes any sense, but it even holds a connection with Half-Life 2... sorta... Expand
  22. Jul 3, 2012
    This game was great, though I watched walkthroughs on Youtube because I'm pretty bad at solving puzzles, but the puzzles themselves are well thought out and really intelligent. The story is good, even though there are only two characters, but it feels like one because the main character Chell doesn't talk. She grunts, but doesn't talk. Valve made epic games, and this is one of them.
  23. Nov 11, 2013
    Most original game I have played in the past few years. The storyline and the graphics are very interesting. Overall opinion: Okay, definitely worth buying.
  24. Jul 16, 2012
    Even though it has indeed been quite a few years now since I first ever played this game at a friend's house, followed IMMEDIATELY by me purchasing it for myself to play on MY computer, my love for the original "Portal" game has not diminished even a single bit!!! I can still so EASILY remember how unbelievably quick I was to become completely engrossed in this "first-of-its-kind"Even though it has indeed been quite a few years now since I first ever played this game at a friend's house, followed IMMEDIATELY by me purchasing it for myself to play on MY computer, my love for the original "Portal" game has not diminished even a single bit!!! I can still so EASILY remember how unbelievably quick I was to become completely engrossed in this "first-of-its-kind" game-play. I even went so far as to try by best at brainwashing my own father into playing it. (And much to my surprise, he gave it a try after watching me play a bit on my PC, and of course, quickly came to love it every bit as much as I.) Add to that list my own younger brother, who was and is still a hardcore "console" player. Sure enough though, as soon as he found it available for purchase on the X-Box 360, he was up all night long playing it as well. In conclusion, I would very much like to also add-in the factor of this beautiful game's UNBELIEVABLE "RE-PLAY" value. I've not ever kept any official count or anything, but it I had to guess, I am quite comfortable in guessing that I've played back though the same game again, over and over, trying new and different techniques each and every time, no less that a few hundred times within the past few years. :) To some, that fact will no doubt just appear stupid, and easily a target for such words as "has no life", "still living at home with Mom", etc... It's OK though, because, to all the rest out there who ALSO fell in love with Portal years ago, YOU no-doubt "understand". :) Expand
  25. Dec 13, 2012
    This game was simply fantastic in most every way: it is humorous, dark, intriguing, fun, challenging, and innovative. While it is pretty short and the graphics are not particularly good, I don't hold this against it considering how cheap it was (basically free in the Orange Box) and because it was a small-team effort with impressive results. I was glad to see this game get a big-budgetThis game was simply fantastic in most every way: it is humorous, dark, intriguing, fun, challenging, and innovative. While it is pretty short and the graphics are not particularly good, I don't hold this against it considering how cheap it was (basically free in the Orange Box) and because it was a small-team effort with impressive results. I was glad to see this game get a big-budget sequel that could be longer with higher production values, but the original Portal remains a gem in the video game industry. Expand
  26. Aug 1, 2012
    Innovation at it's finest. Portal provides much humor and action, something that is very elusive from writers, designers, developers, and creators alike. It is very challenging too. Anyone who doesn't like it can't use their damn brain. It's a damn humorous puzzle action story so **** YOU!
  27. Aug 8, 2012
    I enjoyed playing portal, it was new and different to most games out there, a puzzle game that I could actually enjoy and not just sit there with a blank look on my face. The game runs very smoothly and I did not find any glitches at all. Not the best game in the world, but it did keep me entertained.
  28. Aug 7, 2012
    Awesome game. Introduces an amazing concept, story, and all around style to the world of gaming. The only con I can think of is the fan base. All of the **** running around saying, "LOL the cake is a lie guys amiright!!!" But you cant blame the developers for that. And to the ass hats complaining it was so short? This game was made by a small team within valve. It was just padding for TheAwesome game. Introduces an amazing concept, story, and all around style to the world of gaming. The only con I can think of is the fan base. All of the **** running around saying, "LOL the cake is a lie guys amiright!!!" But you cant blame the developers for that. And to the ass hats complaining it was so short? This game was made by a small team within valve. It was just padding for The Orange Box, and kind of an apology present for half life 2: episode 2 being delayed. It was never expected to explode like it did. Even thought it was only a couple hours, those hours were some of the best of my gaming life. Expand
  29. Aug 12, 2012
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time. Simple yet addicting game mechanics form unique and memorable puzzles and make a solid foundation for the subtly unfolding story line.
  30. Aug 20, 2012
    We all must keep in mind that this game was hidden behind TF2 and HL2 in the orange box, and yet, it still managed to make a name for itself and generate an enormous fanbase. Valve, once again, delivered an excellent and original idea when coming up with the revolutionary 'portal gun.' This game wasn't necessarily meant to be stand-alone, so those people who are saying that it's tooWe all must keep in mind that this game was hidden behind TF2 and HL2 in the orange box, and yet, it still managed to make a name for itself and generate an enormous fanbase. Valve, once again, delivered an excellent and original idea when coming up with the revolutionary 'portal gun.' This game wasn't necessarily meant to be stand-alone, so those people who are saying that it's too short, keep that in mind. Also remember that it's only $10 dollars at the most, and that's $10 dollars well spent! I bought it on sale and wish I would have payed more. It's a puzzle that makes you think and provides a little clever humor. So, of course, I give this a 10, because I feel that it was one of the most original ideas and revolutionary designs of it's time, and it set up for an interesting and intriguing sequel. And while most games are $50 upwards nowadays and some hang around $20 for up to 5-7 years after their release, Portal is $10 dollars and is affordable fun for those of us who have low-end PCs and don't want to spend too much money. That's just another positive towards this amazing game. Expand
  31. Aug 31, 2012
    I LOVED the game, but it was way too short
    It was too easy also
    The humour is better in portal 2
    The only thing that was better in portal 1 than in the portal 2 was the still alive song
    Cant get it out of my head! Gawd!
  32. Sep 8, 2012
    it is a awesome game! sure it's not a long game that will take days to complete, but you never gets tired on it (at least not me) and It's great when you finished the story, you can play like minigames, complete the maps with times, footsteps and portals, so as I said, I never get tired on this game
  33. Nov 24, 2012
    Extremely fun and charming. This game is a classic that must be played. Yeah, it may be short, but for a $3 game that any computer can run, you should not miss out on this
  34. Oct 10, 2012
    Great game! Good fun for a few hours, many people I know love this game and have played it through. This includes people normally adverse to computer gaming. The game is very short but for the price its worth it!
  35. Sep 28, 2012
    Well, I'm late on this review. But this is one of the best games of all time. I love Valve, and 99% of all of their games.
    Valve puts time into their games and aren't lazy developers. 10/10!
  36. Mar 22, 2013
    I came upon this game totally on accident before it blew up and boy was I surprised. To this day, still the single greatest initial gaming experience I've had. The intrigue, the suspense, endless curiosity and then shock and surprise. What a twist!
  37. Jan 3, 2013
    A humorous first person puzzle game pitting you against an evil overlord computer system with your only "weapon" being a Portal Gun that lets you open 2 color-coded portals on certain walls & floors. A great twist on Valve's penchant for box & physics puzzles with an engaging story that will pull you through the (relatively short) campaign. If you crave more after the campaign you canA humorous first person puzzle game pitting you against an evil overlord computer system with your only "weapon" being a Portal Gun that lets you open 2 color-coded portals on certain walls & floors. A great twist on Valve's penchant for box & physics puzzles with an engaging story that will pull you through the (relatively short) campaign. If you crave more after the campaign you can download or create your own custom maps using the same tools as any other source game. An easy to pickup and play must-play for anyone. Expand
  38. Jul 29, 2013
    A great game with excellent innovative idea. Some of the puzzle rooms are simply a work of a genius. One of the best puzzle games ever. If you haven't seen it, you should.
  39. Nov 5, 2012
    Portal is a puzzle game using portal physics. It's very basic, but very polished. The puzzles can get pretty challenging but satisfying, and you are rewarded further with an interesting storyline packed with witty humor. It's hard to believe that Valve just threw it together. My only discrepancy with the game is that it ends, and for that reason I give it a solid 10.
  40. Nov 16, 2012
    This game should be in the top of the 5 best games of history. It has no amazing graphics, the control *in theory* is simple and the argument isn´t very exciting.. But it´s so enjoyable to pass the different zones, using your brain all you can. I haven´t finish this game yet, but 2 hours of playing say all about it.
  41. Nov 17, 2012
    Very inventive game offering something different. Has a great story and is enjoyable the entire way though. Only thing holding it back from a 10 is a that it is relatively short.
  42. Jan 26, 2013
    After The Great Half Life 2 episodes and the God Like TF2 i was expecting a bleh of a game with portal. I was as wrong as thinking a minute was 100 seconds when i was a kid. The Portal concept was fun and puzzling. Using the companion cube and valve nice physic engine was a joy to play through. The story was immersing and had some of the best humor ive ever heard. And the the extraAfter The Great Half Life 2 episodes and the God Like TF2 i was expecting a bleh of a game with portal. I was as wrong as thinking a minute was 100 seconds when i was a kid. The Portal concept was fun and puzzling. Using the companion cube and valve nice physic engine was a joy to play through. The story was immersing and had some of the best humor ive ever heard. And the the extra downloadable maps are the icing on the ca.. i mean french fancy. Portal was the best 2 hours ive spent in my life. This game is my number 6 game of all time. Then Portal 2 was a knock off piece of **** Expand
  43. Nov 28, 2012
    The perfect game. Among the top 3 to play before you die. The immense gratification you'll experience once you're successfully "thinking with portals" is beyond words. My review therefore stops here. Play it!
  44. Nov 28, 2012
    Very nice game! It´s interesting and innovative. It is just too short. The first levels are very easy , but it gets harder and harder with the time. Some gags , the cake and a innovative idea , that is all what makes Portal so interesting!
  45. Nov 28, 2012
    In first play i think was a game is too lazy, but two years later i play in Portal and can't take words about amazing feelings from this game. Play in Portal bring me back into my childhood.
  46. Dec 20, 2012
    A puzzle game with about 2 to 3 hours of gameplay. I am not a puzzle gamer though I enjoyed it because the puzzle challenge was doable and short enough before I start going asdjf;alsdjf;las on my keyboard. So if you are looking for a game that is different to what you normally play, pick this up when it goes on sale.
  47. Dec 6, 2012
    Sou um cara que gosta de jogos. Infelizmente, não tenho tempo pra ficar horas e horas jogando. Inclusive, por causa disso, ou não, raramente terminei um jogo.
    Ei que renasci das cinzas e comprei o Portal 2 para o Steam. Comecei a jogá-lo e, apesar de já ter escutado muito sobre o jogo e tudo o mais, nunca parei pra pensar a respeito. Então o que aconteceu? Não entendi nada... Pensei comigo mesmo: "Mas é um tapado mesmo. Vai começar pelo segundo jogo, dá nisso...".
    Dei um tapa na minha testa, tomei um gole de água e comprei o Porta. O um. E viciei.
    Sabe aquele tipo de jogo, que é atrativo, simples, direto, e totalmente desafiador? Pois bem. Esse é o jogo.
    Comecei a jogá-lo, me viciar, e quando vi acabou. Sim. Rápido.
    Isso, não é algo ruim. Aqui mesmo, e em tudo quanto é lugar, as pessoas reclamam que o jogo é rápido, curto e blábláblá. Sim, é rápido e curto, mas é bom.
    Os desenvolvedores plantaram uma sementinha. Fizeram com que nos viciássemos num estilo de jogo pioneiro, numa dinâmica sagaz, intuitiva e inovadora. Em uma ambientação e uma história consistente. E na criação de uma personagem, GLaDOS, totalmente carismática. Mesmo com seu humor sarcástico, e suas mentiras mal mentidas, ela nos encanta e cativa.
    Tenho sorte de ainda não ter jogado Portal 2. Assim posso degustá-lo, calmamente, ampliando assim minha experiência com os jogos.
  48. Oct 28, 2013
    Love it. Quirky. Fun. Challenging. And of course very different thanks to the whole portals scheme itself. Definitely one of my all-time favorites and would recommend this to anyone.
  49. Dec 22, 2012
    The gameplay itself is extraordinarily innovative and a revolution to the FPS genre, as many people would disagree with me, this is one of the only game series that I would play all day, the only problem with that of the first installment of the Portal series is that it's too short! In my first run of the game I completed it in 3 hours (bearing in mind I was utter crap!), where now I canThe gameplay itself is extraordinarily innovative and a revolution to the FPS genre, as many people would disagree with me, this is one of the only game series that I would play all day, the only problem with that of the first installment of the Portal series is that it's too short! In my first run of the game I completed it in 3 hours (bearing in mind I was utter crap!), where now I can do it in an hour. Brilliant game, but very short. Expand
  50. Dec 22, 2012
    In fact, the only drawback of the Portal is that it can easily move in four hours. Also, this is a perfect game, also went through a worthy successor. Brand Portal begins to gain in importance.
  51. Dec 27, 2012
    This was an excellent game. It requires some coordination and timing, and a lot of strategy and patience. The humor in the presentation was really good, it made me laugh out loud a few times. My only complaint is that when "flinging" the character automatically re-orients so that feet are oriented down (towards the earth). This rotation while flying for me was a little nauseating. So whenThis was an excellent game. It requires some coordination and timing, and a lot of strategy and patience. The humor in the presentation was really good, it made me laugh out loud a few times. My only complaint is that when "flinging" the character automatically re-orients so that feet are oriented down (towards the earth). This rotation while flying for me was a little nauseating. So when I perform a fling often I would close my eyes after entering the portal. For this reason I give the game an 8 instead of a 9 or 10. Expand
  52. May 4, 2013
    No doubt one of the best games I have played and both this and it's sequel are quite the journey, a journey very hard to forget. Yes, the game is short but it is still worth your money. You feel accomplished at the end of doing some of these puzzle, and most of theme are in my opinion more challenging than the ones of its sequel and being able to crank up the difficulty is always a welcomeNo doubt one of the best games I have played and both this and it's sequel are quite the journey, a journey very hard to forget. Yes, the game is short but it is still worth your money. You feel accomplished at the end of doing some of these puzzle, and most of theme are in my opinion more challenging than the ones of its sequel and being able to crank up the difficulty is always a welcome challenge. You must own this game and its sequel, very great games. Expand
  53. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal is one of Valve's most popular games and for good reason! this is my review of Portal for the PC.

STORY: Aperture Science is a research facility that created the portal gun and the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System, A.K.A: GLaDOS. On the company's first bring your daughter to work day, GLaDOS floods the building with neurotoxin. Remaining survivors' minds are erased and put inside a hibernation bed, to wake up and preform tests created by GLaDOS. You are one of GLaDOS's experiments, Chell, and the objective is to escape using the portal gun. This story is very gloomy and intriguing, just the way I like it. Though, they could've added more characters to interact with than just GLaDOS. (9.5)

PRESENTATION: Portal has very realistic looking graphics (Coming from a Nintendo fanboy), and the puzzles are just AMAZING they're so well thought out and clever that I couldn't stop say to myself, "This is just fantastic". And then there's GLaDOS. GLaDOS is such a funny character, her quotes are legendary! All of that aside, the game is extremely short, but that's O.K because it was origanly a stocking stuffer in the Orange Box. (9)

GAMEPLAY: Your portal gun can shoot two kinds of portals: red and blue. Using these, solving puzzles is so much fun! You aren't able to take falling damage, so that's a plus when solving puzzles involving tall rooms. (10)

FINAL LEVEL (SPOILERS!): So you've reached Test Chamber 19. When you go through, it's pretty easy until GLaDOS tries to throw you into a pit of fire. From then on, you travel behind the scenes of Aperture Laboratories. Suddenly, the challenge level becomes very difficult, mostly because of the amount of traps and robots that GLaDOS puts in your way. But when it all blows over, it's time to fight GLaDOS. When you figure out how to defeat her, she's pretty easy for a final boss. When it's over, the game awkwardly ends. It's very abrupt, and I think Valve could've done better. (8)

COMPLETION BONUS: After beating the game, the title screen becomes an aperture office desk with a radio, and chocolate cake on it. The music is a bit nice, but it's still definitely not worth beating the game. (2)

Overall, Portal is an amazing time waster! Just don't expect to get months of enjoyment out of this...
    (8 out of 10)
  54. Jul 25, 2013
    Portal is a revolutionary game, which brings innovative and new gameplay features. You have to solve puzzles with your portal gun, which is a weapon, that shoot two different portals. It has a good learning curve, but the game is a bit short, which is a sad, because I want to play more! But, there is now Portal 2.
  55. Feb 13, 2013
    The central concept of Portal--linking a world to itself through a portal--is simply brilliant. The game offers many fun, physics-based puzzles. Some dark humor completes the experience.
  56. Feb 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is short and sweet! There is a reason for every puzzle and no "filler levels". Great story, too! Especially when GlaDOS tries to kill you... Expand
  57. Jul 20, 2013
    A genuinely unique puzzle game that’s definitely worth playing if you haven’t already. The gameplay is fairly simple once you get used to the concept, but there are a few tricky parts towards the end. I especially enjoyed the last level. It caught me completely off guard and was easily my favorite part of the entire game.
  58. Sep 1, 2013
    yes its only 2-3 hours long and I managed to speed run it at exactly 27 Minutes 16 Seconds but how did that guy get 13 minutes and 28 seconds but anyway all the puzzles are interesting and imaginitive GlaDos is amazing and the humor as well but the sequel did better in that category but I prefer the first one its feels more alien and different its really cheap on Steam so buy it and if youyes its only 2-3 hours long and I managed to speed run it at exactly 27 Minutes 16 Seconds but how did that guy get 13 minutes and 28 seconds but anyway all the puzzles are interesting and imaginitive GlaDos is amazing and the humor as well but the sequel did better in that category but I prefer the first one its feels more alien and different its really cheap on Steam so buy it and if you don't have a PC why are you reading this then get the ornage box or on the 360 get Portal:Still Alive Expand
  59. Mar 28, 2013
    Portal, a game by Valve, is a part of the “Half Life” series, Portal was originally released within the Orange Box a collection of 5 games “Half Life 2”, “Half Life 2: Episode 1”, “Half Life 2: Episode 2”, “Team Fortress 2” and of course Portal.

In Portal you play as “Chell” a test subject at Aperture Science, a scientific research facility. At the beginning of the game you awaken to

At the beginning of the game you awaken to hear the AI “GLaDOS” welcome you to the facility and inform you that you will be used to test a new device that Aperture Science has created, the “Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device” which allows the user to create portals from one place to another.
    Over the course of the game you will see Chell overcome many challenging puzzles in “Test Chambers” using the portal device while GLaDOS gives a few words of advice and some lines of dialog to help enhance the experience.

What makes this game enjoyable though is the game play which at the time of Portals original release was quite a new concept, the ability to go from one part of a level to another using portals made by the user is quite an enjoyable experience especially with some of the tricks you can pull off to overcome a challenging part of a level.
    The story on the other hand which although isn’t dull or anything, does seem a bit lacking in substance when compared to the rest of the Half Life series (this is hardly surprising though as Half Life as a whole has spread its self over 4 main games so far and there may be future Half Life games).
    Even though the story might not be the most in-depth story in a game it still works rather well, as the only character that ever talks is GlaDOS (an artificial intelligence and rather suspiciously the only other character), The dialog from GLaDOS is both helpful and at many times humorous which helps develop the story rather nicely, nearer the end of the game at time it is more up to the player to interpret the look of the environment to help further the story.

But at the end of the day Portal is a puzzle game and wasn’t made to have an in-depth story that would grip the user, it was made to be a fun little game with challenges for the play to overcome that could be completed within a couple of hours and Portal does the and more, some people say a good game can be replayed multiple times and I assure you Portal can be played over and over again as the puzzles are very enjoyable and the story still keeps all it’s nice quirks through multiple replays.

I would recommend Portal to all fans of the Half Life series and any lovers of puzzle games.
    Portal is suitable for all ages from 12 and up.
    It is a great game and a great way to kill time, a must have for any decent games collection.

I would give Portal 8/10 although more could be added to it, it is still a lovely game all round.
  60. May 17, 2013
    One of the most original game of all time, some chambers are really clever, but most of them are easy. Unfortunately it's too short, it's barely two hours long. But overall it's magnificent game!
  61. May 3, 2013
    Portal is certainly one of the best games I've ever played.

Developed by Valve, is mainly based on solving puzzles. The player takes the role of Chell, the main protagonist facing a psychotic robot named Glados puzzles, and her apparent subtle attempt to kill the player during the game. The action is set in Half-Life universe, but in a different timeline, not related to the events
    Portal is certainly one of the best games I've ever played.

Developed by Valve, is mainly based on solving puzzles.

The action is set in Half-Life universe, but in a different timeline, not related to the events from the other game, more exactly in the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

At the beginning the player doesn't really have ideas about what's going on and why she's there, but is shortly revealed that she's a sort of a test subject.

Glados is the main antagonist who first apparently(at least for me) somehow helps the player though the levels, and make some Black-humorous jokes from time to time, but near game's completion, it becomes more aggressive, after the player figures out that the plan was to kill you.

The rest I won't reveal, as will spoil your experience when you play it.

As a game, I say it's revolutionary, like Half-Life 2 was with the Gravity Gun, this time we're going to think with portals.

The thing with the portal gun isn't really revolutional, certainly people imagined this kind of possibility in a game, but wasn't applied into a video game until now.

The level design isn't bad, however the levels aren't well balanced in my opinion, sometimes you get from easy to really hard from sudden, and another annoying fact is that some puzzles look really difficult, but in fact are very easy, however I think this makes a game more interesting, and gives a bit of humor.

The story honestly could've been more interesting, ,,Make your way out of the facility,, anyone?

The game play was designed for Sp, and can also draw some criticism, as it lacks of multiplayer, and a coop, which could've made the game absolutely great, but it isn't such a great mistake.

The visuals aren't shocking, as we've got used to Episode Two's one, but aren't bad at all, I think EP2's graphics really good even for this time, with the great shaders, HD models, HDR lightning, and awesome physics.

So overall it's a great game, but it could've been even better. However I find it great and again, is a must-own, it's had nice graphics, interesting story, good level design, original, and even if it's linear, the game really has a good replay value, and deserves to be played many times.
  62. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic FPS puzzle game. Gameplay is different enough as the game progresses that it doesn't get boring (new puzzles & ways to deal with them are introduced). GlaDOS is quite funny in places. Maps are well written and the mind-bending physics are pretty creative. It's only real shortcoming is fairly short length. Well worth playing though.
  63. sft
    May 22, 2013
    No cakewalk this one

No cakewalk this one

This is one clever game. The concept is simple but brilliant: you’re trapped in the labs of Aperture Science and you have to get out. To assist you you’re given a portal gun. The gun opens doorways in almost any surface. Once you have full control of the gun you can create blue and amber portals. Step into the blue one and you emerge from the amber one, step into the amber one and you emerge from the blue one. By positioning the portals in certain ways you can step, jump, or fall huge distances. You can also use them to redirect lasers and bullets, which you must do in order to stay alive. All through your efforts to escape you’re teased and goaded by GLaDoS, the AI that runs the lab. As with all Valve games the writing is excellent, with GLaDoS delivering some perfectly-pitched lines (and a cute little song at the end). Each challenge is more difficult than the last but none is so frustrating as to annoy, and all are satisfying when solved. My only criticism is that the maps lack variety as you travel from one austere lab to another, or from one utility area to another (this appears to have been addressed in Portal 2, which offers a wider range of environments). All-in-all this is one of the most imaginative games I’ve ever encountered. Check out the Orange Box though, because this offers the excellent Half-Life 2 games and Portal as a bundle and is great value.
  64. Oct 3, 2013
    The first game of the outstanding puzzle series. It contains many diverse puzzles that will boggle and trick your mind. You really need to think outside the portals.
  65. Jun 30, 2013
    It's a really really cool game, The Portal series 1 and 2 are my favorite Puzzle Platform games, it's really new the topic of the game, and the portal things... Why do i love it? for the simple fact that all the new things that the game brings to us can't be explained in one review of any person, I enjoyed a little bit more Portal 2 because of the Wentley thing, and the fact that PortalIt's a really really cool game, The Portal series 1 and 2 are my favorite Puzzle Platform games, it's really new the topic of the game, and the portal things... Why do i love it? for the simple fact that all the new things that the game brings to us can't be explained in one review of any person, I enjoyed a little bit more Portal 2 because of the Wentley thing, and the fact that Portal 2 is somehow harder then Portal 1, but also in Portal 1 the story is amazing, the comedy is good, i enjoyed the mix. My favorite thing in the game is the fact that the developers can create a game with so much options, i mean, the things that you can do with the portals are completely crazy, and i actually thing that we should worship the developers of this game, the game was really cool and i'm really proud i believed it was a good game. Expand
  66. Jul 3, 2013
    I have portal with the compilation of best Valve's games "The Orange Box".
    I do one of the best game ever made for valve's fanboy (behind half life 2, this is obvious for them)
    And I see the two parts of Portal. The adventure (the first part) introduce the gameplay, with the portal gun and the robot-gun, with a boss at the end (excellent this idea to manipulate the gravity). But I
    I have portal with the compilation of best Valve's games "The Orange Box".

And I see the two parts of Portal.

But I tell the true In the 19 rooms of the adventure, the 12-13 first rooms are tutorial for show the gameplay.
    You can have a bit of challenge at the end but that's not very hard. And this is all.
    I finish the adventure in 4 hours (but I don't scamp). The gamers in the web say "between 3 and 5 hours".
    But this is pleasant to do this adventure, for the pleasure of the discovery. And you will smile with the answer of the computer GladOS (he is the promoter of the "portal gun test").

The second part is the advanced test room. I don't finish this advanced test at the time when I wrote this. They are very hard, it's the 6 last room (without room 19 but I don't want spoil the scenario), and you must do this rooms....with hard constraints (robot-gun in cage, the helper cube become a ball, metal ceiling....). And you will see, you will suffer....
    And you wants more challenges You can do this 6 advanced room, normally, no contraints (like the adventure). But with limitations (the least time or the least number of steps or the least of portals). Therefore 18 making head (because you have a short error margin, you will cry with the difficulty for succeed ALL challenges).

And you have portal, 19 rooms only but the biggest playtime is to try the advanced rooms, There aren't unreleased if you did adventure but you will see, the challenge.

PS Sorry for my english, I'm french

PS 2 I don't consider the mods for my review because this is the editor's job to finish the game, not to the community (but you will find a lot of new maps for extend the portal experience)
  67. Mar 16, 2014
    Wow, this game is great. Although the game is about 2-5 hours long, the atmosphere, reality to it, makes it feel like you really are Chell. This game is so well done, and I've never felt as satisfied as the time I beat Portal.
  68. Jul 12, 2013
    An amazing game. I want them to make portal 3 so badly right now!
    I love the game so much I could hate valvve and would still play this game. I love it and always will.
  69. Jul 17, 2013
    Probably the best game I have EVER played. Mix it with Portal 2 and you got the best duo of games ever. Although it is a tiny bit short, who cares, just play it again
  70. Oct 10, 2013
    Portal is a state of the art game. People who complain about it don't actually know how to play it. The concept about everything is awesome. There are some achievements really difficult to get it, but nothing impossible.
  71. Jul 21, 2013
    The game is realy thoughtful. The best puzzle game you can buy, and lots of easter eggs to discover. The story is great after all. One game that showed how Fps games doesn' t nead to be "kill everyone" Simple logical hard puzzle.The how ever the game is 9 out of 10 to me becouse the idea, is not orginal. They buyed the license. The first game that used this logic was "Narbacular Drop"The game is realy thoughtful. The best puzzle game you can buy, and lots of easter eggs to discover. The story is great after all. One game that showed how Fps games doesn' t nead to be "kill everyone" Simple logical hard puzzle.The how ever the game is 9 out of 10 to me becouse the idea, is not orginal. They buyed the license. The first game that used this logic was "Narbacular Drop" Still the game is prety awesome. Expand
  72. Jul 23, 2013
    An amazing puzzle game it is short but the time you will have with it is amazing.the dialogue is really smart too. Glados will remain one of my favourite characters in video games
  73. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    You have many hours of puzzle solving fun, can also play around and ignore the robot telling you what to do for a while. The game gets pretty exciting towards the end as well. After you have played through it once or twice though, you find that there is not much more you can do and it gets super easy, so this particular game isn't replayable that much. I'd almost rate 10, but it was tooYou have many hours of puzzle solving fun, can also play around and ignore the robot telling you what to do for a while. The game gets pretty exciting towards the end as well. After you have played through it once or twice though, you find that there is not much more you can do and it gets super easy, so this particular game isn't replayable that much. I'd almost rate 10, but it was too short for me and replayability is a thing for me. Expand
  74. Aug 13, 2013
    Its a puzzle game with great story and fun jokes! Great gameplay! Simple and fun! Kinda too short though.... But you can add custom maps =-p. Try to not get spoilers cause your gameplay may be even shorter... just take your time... you will get it!
  75. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is really short but....this game is really good. Portal is so unique. The gamplay is awesome. Its one of the most unique game i've ever played.
  76. Aug 10, 2013
    Really engaging game, witty lines and great antagonist. The puzzles can be pretty hard and it is required to think about it for a while. The game is great in almost all aspects, but it was a little short in my opinion, but perhaps that's just I just enjoyed it so much that I really wanted more.
  77. Sep 5, 2014
    From the silly humor to the great puzzles, i recommend this game to anyone who has a computer. this is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out so far. The game is good at teaching you all of the mechanics to the game through the first few levels. The game is definitely short but the short amount of time you get with this game is enjoyable. The game has a large replay value andFrom the silly humor to the great puzzles, i recommend this game to anyone who has a computer. this is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out so far. The game is good at teaching you all of the mechanics to the game through the first few levels. The game is definitely short but the short amount of time you get with this game is enjoyable. The game has a large replay value and the light amount of story and lore is fairly interesting. Expand
  78. Oct 1, 2013
    Portal is such an innovative and fun game. When this game came with The Orange Box, I wasn't sure what exactly I was getting into. From start to finish, you will have fun with the test chambers created by Valve. The only negative of this game is that this game is VERY short.
  79. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was short and I beat it twice in one night. However, it has replay value to achieve different things and complete different challenges. For example, you need to beat the game once to unlock an achievement to find hidden radios throughout the game. Each radio will play either morse code or a SSTV sound to receive a message (a dial-up Portal server with special information). Another challenge is to find and destroy all cameras hidden throughout the game with portals.
    It's a fun game to share and play with friends.
  80. Sep 30, 2013
    Great game, perfectly executes everything that it attempts, its not artificial stretched out, its the perfect length, some some padded that is longer due to inane tactics. Yet some people still hate it just because other people like it, hmmmmm what are those people called, you know the ones that no one likes, oh thats right, coqhead hipsters
  81. Oct 5, 2013
    A puzzle game that will get your brain working. Wrapped in a first-person shooter, this game provides excellent and clever puzzles along with a great story.
  82. Nov 6, 2014
    Although short, "Portal" is a gaming experience unlike any other. Mind bending puzzles, clean style, innovative portal mechanics and one of the best antagonist in a video game, this game will strike your heart and make you beg for more. Good news is, the sequel is even better.

For the full review, check out "BathroomGamers" on YouTube :)
  83. Mar 1, 2014
    Portal is for me the best puzzle game I've ever played! The atmosphere is really great and if you play it the first time, it's interesting to find out who the voice really is, what she exactly wants and how she looks like. My only issue is the short gameplay.
  84. Nov 9, 2013
    This is a great game. The puzzles and the humor are really nice. Especially the lines spoken by Glados. I would recommend this game to anyone, or the Orange Box.
  85. Oct 15, 2013
    Short, but fun. It's really only a 2 hour game, but what the hell do you expect from a game stapled on to a bundle with larger games? It's a tad bit over priced if you consider how long the game is, but is definitely a great piece of Valve history. After all, it made one of the best games in our generation, Portal 2! Again, it's really the nostalgia and ingenious topic and concept thatShort, but fun. It's really only a 2 hour game, but what the hell do you expect from a game stapled on to a bundle with larger games? It's a tad bit over priced if you consider how long the game is, but is definitely a great piece of Valve history. After all, it made one of the best games in our generation, Portal 2! Again, it's really the nostalgia and ingenious topic and concept that saves this game from my iron foot of mixed reviews, as this game is short and fairly easy do not expect to play this game for longer than say, 12 hours, even with the challenge missions, but do expect to have a blast portaling while playing it! Once you finish it, definitely buy the sequel, with a much larger storyline as well as more complex and less easy challenges. Expand
  86. Jan 19, 2014
    This is the only game I consider perfect. Some people say it's way too long. It is not. It's perfect in length. It is a great puzzle game. Some people say it isn't. It is an amazing game if you love puzzle games. Seriously if you liked this get Portal 2 as well. they're both amazing.
  87. Oct 19, 2013
    There are very few games out there where every single element is integral to the game. Portal is an amazing (albeit short) masterpiece of a puzzle game. Everything about this game is great, the gameplay, the visuals, the writing, the puzzles, the humour. If anything were taken away or changed it would cheapen the game and make it less than perfect.
  88. Nov 27, 2013
    The game is amazing. It is a perfect length and has the perfect gameplay. Its a fun puzzle game and a fun Portal FPS. I strongly recommend getting it.
  89. Oct 29, 2013
    Despite the length, it packs a good deal of every aspect to make a game great. The gameplay as a start is unique with portals and no guns used (by the main character). Being a puzzle game, it tests your mind and skill. Combine this with the sarcastic and hilarious directions of GLaDOS, and you get a solid gameplay. Yes, the puzzles may be simple but it mainly shows the basics and mechanicsDespite the length, it packs a good deal of every aspect to make a game great. The gameplay as a start is unique with portals and no guns used (by the main character). Being a puzzle game, it tests your mind and skill. Combine this with the sarcastic and hilarious directions of GLaDOS, and you get a solid gameplay. Yes, the puzzles may be simple but it mainly shows the basics and mechanics to the game.

At the start, you might think that this is merely a puzzle game with little to no story, but close to the end you'll find a splash of story to follow up to the entire game. Other than GLaDOS, the game gave us some of the most memorable moments and characters in gaming. Not to mention that it gave us some of the funniest memes on the internet. If you are looking for a unique puzzler experience, and can forgive the length, pick up Portal from the Steam store. To rephrase that, get The Orange Box, with Portal and two other Valve hits, Half-Life 2, its expansions and Team Fortress 2 (gives you a premium account).
  90. Oct 31, 2013
    Awesome game. Unique concept and they really explored its potential. Thinking with portals is fun. Challenges your intellect and coordination.

However, it may also be quite challenging for your guts (literally... especially when falling or flipping screen). So I'd also recommend following the regular breaks policy strictly when playing it. I bet 3 cents you'll either hear GLaDOS

I bet 3 cents you'll either hear GLaDOS voice or see "The cake is a lie" written on walls in your dreams for a while after clearing the game.
  91. Nov 9, 2013
    I love Portal! It's a great single player experience that will feel like no game you've played before. You're not shooting bad guys or trying to take down a helicopter like in a lot of other games. In Portal, you test your meddle in logic and some 3D platforming. Absolute must play for any person looking for a great single player experience.
  92. Nov 9, 2013
    This must be the most original FPS/puzzle game ever created. Extremely fun puzzle solving of an unusual kind. All accompanied by a compelling story and the voice of a sarcastic super computer.
  93. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 6 out of 10, Length: 7 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  94. Jul 30, 2014
    A lesson in effectivity in game design. Very short, but memorable, brain engaging, funny, atmospheric and in my opinion much better than Portal 2. 9/10
  95. Sep 30, 2014
    One of the two only games I consider to be 'perfect'. This game is absolutely stunning. I cannot muster up the words to describe this masterpiece of game design.
  96. Jan 15, 2014
    Ah, Portal. A game of logic and puzzles. It's all about you, the portal gun and the levels. Nothing more. But, a bad thing of the game is that is VERY short. I think Portal 2 is bigger.
  97. Jan 26, 2014
    Challenging and puzzling but at the same time not painstakingly boring. If I had the option to change anything about this game, I don't think I would change anything, right down from the pacing to the level design.
  98. Sep 17, 2014
    Last Played: May 2014

PROS: + GLADOS is actually really funny + Looks good, even after 6 years CONS: - Really short and really easy - Neither revolutionary nor evolutionary REVIEW: If we are being honest, Portal is not a puzzle game, despite many claims to the contrary. It is a "puzzle-ish" game for people who like shooters. I liked that it was difficult to die, since it made it
    Last Played: May 2014

PROS: + GLADOS is actually really funny + Looks good, even after 6 years

CONS: - Really short and really easy - Neither revolutionary nor evolutionary

REVIEW: If we are being honest, Portal is not a puzzle game, despite many claims to the contrary. It is a "puzzle-ish" game for people who like shooters. I liked that it was difficult to die, since it made it easier to focus on finding solutions to the "puzzles", but even with easy deaths the hard part about this game isn't figuring out what to do, it is doing it with somewhat fiddly controls (played using an XBOX 360 controller). Still, if the game disappoints on puzzle satisfaction, it really delivers on dry humor. Your handler, GLADOS is very funny and when she sings the credits song you can't help but grin. The graphics are still shiny (some texture mapping looks bad, but doesn't detract too badly) even after 6 years, which is no small feat as games start to age. As others have said, the level of difficulty will probably see you finishing the base game in less than 3 hours, even if you get stuck-a disadvantage since it significantly boosts your $ cost per hour of entertainment. This also hurts a decision to buy because Portal introduced no really new elements to physics puzzlers nor did it do them especially better, it seems to owe its current popularity to previously high reviews (much like Angry Birds).

Still, one of the best measures of a game is whether you'll remember it after you're done, and I have to say I will remember Portal. Just don't spend more than $5 on it.

POST EDIT: I never expected to get a response to a review, but it seems some people don't agree that Portal may have been somewhat unoriginal in using a FPP on a puzzle game. Here's the thing: "Real Myst" (which implemented the developers original intention to allow a player to walk freely about the puzzle environments) was released in 2000 (i.e. much earlier than "Portal"), so you can't claim freedom of movement as revolutionary in a puzzle game (even if you did, there are zillions of node-based games I still consider to have done FPP puzzle first). Does slapping a "puzzle-gun" in your hands justify a "revolutionary" epithet? I think not.
  99. Feb 21, 2014
    Had a blast playing Portal. I would have scored it a 9-10 if I felt the urge to replay the game. Extremely fun on the first time through the campaign though.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.