9.4

1. Dec 9, 2010
    A boring start that is needed for any great puzzle game, so that is irrelevant. Once you get past a few you will be laughing your but off in the fun lonely adventure of the aperture science research facility! Another great product from valve.
  2. Oct 26, 2012
    its a very short game but fun as hell, very original and funny. it takes a no more than 30 minutes to get into the game, but than its very easy, exept the puzzles thats on a personal level for each, for me they were mostly easy. the game felt very empty, with only 1 living characters and only gladis and here heads talking, it felt just, empty. exept the short gameplay and lack of voices and characters its a must play game, one best 100 of the past 10 years for sure. and being made by valve its easy to understand how it got such succses Expand
  3. Mar 15, 2011
    This is one of the more innovative games I've played. The humour and wit make it so entertaining and the puzzles/quests are really interesting. I loved it and can't wait to play the second one. And who can complain about the end song? It's genius!
  4. Apr 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a very good game but a little short. VERY GOOD! And the GLADoS Battle is EPIC!
    The Turrets are very cute!
    At the first time i was a n00b and i failed a everything.
  5. Jan 1, 2012
    Very fun to play game and i also liked how it got implemented in the half life universe instead of beeing released as completely new IP. Just get it, its not expensive and very worth to be played.
  6. Aug 26, 2012
    This game won the 2007 Game of the Year Award. And I think this game really did deserve the award. With It's complex physics-based puzzles, this masterpiece of gaming will keep your mind thinking and thinking for a solution to each carefully crafted "test." Aside from all this, the game was relatively short. Which is the reason why it does not get a 10 from me. In the end, the game deserves a well earned 9 from me. Expand
  7. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is funny, this game has a great storyline, the game looks good, overall this game is awesome. i like how this game has its own style. i love this game. i finished it like 3 times, and i still can't get enough of it! It's definitly worth the low price.
  8. Dec 8, 2012
    Incredible game! The concept is great with a huge potential and it's really fun to play!
    Even after finishing it, I still enjoy to play it again.
    A must-have.
  9. Oct 2, 2010
    It is an excellent and addictive game. Must play.
  10. Nov 10, 2010
    i love this game. valve combined puzzles, humor, and an amazing enviroment into a delightful game. i admit, the game is damn short, but the game redeems itself, so for anybody who uses that as an excuse can shut up. i love valve and i cant wait for portal 2.
  11. Dec 26, 2010
    This is a one of a kind, it's a pearl in the mist of mass killing shooter games and other FPS. It's the refreshing breeze in the desert of un-creativity (though short). It's the touch of jokes in a dead laboratory and it's the delicious chocolate that always leaves you starving...
    But of course you don't have to like chocolate.
  12. Jul 5, 2011
    Pretty much the single best puzzle game I've played. Even its short length isn't enough for me to give this game anything less than a 10. Anyone who owns a PC needs to get this game. Every once and a while a game comes out that reminds you that real innovation can still happen. This is one of those games.
  13. Apr 27, 2011
    Portal was truly an amazing game. First of all i think we have to remember that although a great game, it wasn't meant to be the hit of the Orange Box. It was originally created as a fall bac game just in case the rest of the Orange Box didn't do very well. Besides that, it was an amazingly innovative game that made up for its lack of length and difficulty with its humour and game-play. I loved the game myself and wouldn't have changed a thing. Good job Valve. Expand
  14. May 15, 2012
    Awesome idea! Enjoyed it. Taking into account that you have only one weapon (in essence) - making a such addictive gameplay is truly worth of praising, Valve! Thank you! :)
  15. Nov 1, 2011
    Truly one of the best puzzle games ever with a good mix of humor sprinkled with a sense of urgency this game is mesmerizing. It draws you in and never lets go.
  16. Jan 3, 2012
    The best game made since Tetris. Surreal, complex, with all the goodies of an indie but the backing of (who else?) Valve, all but devoid of violence, with elements of sarcastic dark humor and relaxing cuteness mixed with fearful suspense and tongue-in-cheek moments of LoLs for a story you really have to dig at to comprehend. Short, yes, but there's only so much you can do without either becoming repetitive, becoming repetitive, or throwing the average and below players at a brick wall and saying "climb." Voice acting is all done by one person if you can believe that, and the song at the end is the very definition of a cult classic. And as Yahtzee said in his review of the sequel, the only real complain that exists is the annoying fanbase who can't keep their grubby little paws off of something in order to keep it sacred. Hobbes was right. Expand
  17. Jun 5, 2012
    Oh man do I love this game. It's funny, it's cute, it's challenging (sometimes frustratingly so), and just an overall good game. It takes a little while sometimes to get used to the "thinking with portals" thing, but once you do the game is amazing. My biggest complaint (and probably my only one) is the fact that it's a jumping puzzle game but I can't see my character's feet. So I have no idea where I'm jumping to. Granted, the first-person view added to the game, I just get super frustrated when I go to jump somewhere and... Oh, I jumped completely past it when I thought i was on it. Lovely. Valve has a tendency to do this, unfortunately. But other than that, this game was beautiful and unbelievably fun. Expand
  18. May 7, 2013
    Well... It's been about 10 years since I last played a Valve game. The first one I ever played was Half-Life Uplink (demo to original HL1). And it was terrific. I finished it maybe 50 times. Then I got full HL1 and finished it a couple of times too. And then I never played a Valve game again.
    Until a week ago. I got Portal Bundle on Steam about a year ago for as cheap as 10$ or so. And I
    wish I'd play this earlier.. This game is perfect! Its somewhat short, but the storyline is very intriguing. At first you may find it strange or even boring but do not give up on it it is well worth your 3~4 hours of playtime.
    Being a grown up semi no-life I can honestly say that this game firmly holds a high rank in my top 10 games of all time (an I've played a ton of games in my life).

This is the type of game that you would sacrifice your weekday night for just to finish this last puzzle!
    Excelent choice worth any money!
  19. Aug 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is addictive and short. I love to mess with the Portals though and sometimes I just get sucked into playing through it another time. I never get tired of playing through the puzzles and destroying GLaDOS. Expand
  20. Sep 3, 2010
    A very fun (and very short) little game, a FPS puzzle game, which is a genre I didn't enough know existed until now. This portal concept is something I would love to see in a straight puzzle game: no villains just tons and tons of puzzle maps to play would be amazing. However, I thought GLaDOS was a wonderful character (which is important, being the only one besides the player) who worked well as an insane killer robot. I barely fnished her off in the end, because I was having so much fun listening to her mocking dialog ("your file says you were adopted and you have no friends, ha ha!"). Highly recommend to anyone that likes puzzles or games that play with physics. Expand
  21. Aug 27, 2010
    Excellent, addictive game.
    It has an inventive concept, a funny, well-observed (well, as much as it can be) script, and some lyrical dissonance at the end that'd make Todd Edward Smith flinch.
    Yes, it IS short, but I forgave this once I heard there's a sequel coming out.
  22. Feb 3, 2011
    A very impressive game, sure it isn't the longest game in the world. But this was something fresh, something new that blew everyone away. Interesting puzzles to solve, and I cant wait for Portal 2, looks awesome.
  23. Sep 6, 2010
    Cool game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  24. Sep 15, 2010
    When I bought the Orange Box, right after it was released, I really don't expected too much about portal, I bought that because of HL2 and TF2, but portal seemed to be a great game, it could be compared to HL2 when it was released. Something innovator, but it does not deserves 10 just because it's different, it deserves 10 because it is unique, adictive and captivating. There's no one who can fake someone (or something) like GLaDOS. Portal is unique. Expand
  25. Sep 22, 2010
    The best game I'v played, ever. The Antagonist (enemy, bad guys, ext.) is GLaDOS, the AI who runs Aperture Science, is the best enemy in any game, unlike in Halo 1 were the Covenant are basically the 'bad guys' who should be killed, GLaDOS's point of view is perfectly understandable: She is programed to be better at science than Black Mesa and without morals or ethics, even if flooding entire buildings with neurotoxins killing hundreds of scientist is the quickest/best/easiest option. I, for one, will be really looking forward to the sequel: Portal 2 Expand
  26. Sep 24, 2010
    Just great. I loved every single second of it. Played it through at least five times. It has mind-bending puzzles, hilarious dialog and just great graphics. Definitely one of the better Valve and PC titles ever created.
  27. Oct 9, 2010
    No excuse for not owning this game. It will run on most PCs even pretty old ones and the experience is unique, bringing something new and fresh into gaming. Please do yourself a favor and GET this game.
  28. Oct 15, 2010
    Up till now there is no better, funnier storyline in computer-gaming. A breath of fresh air among the hundreds of games all following the same paths, managers left and right to stop anyone being original.
    Portal dares and succeeds on all fronts. GlaDos may be borrowed, but Clarke's/Kubrick's HAL9000 never was THAT funny. Plus she was in love with me....(did she bake that cake?)
  29. Feb 3, 2011
    The Good: The writing is goddamn near perfect. The black humor, wonderful dialogue, and fantastic voice acting is perfect. The game mechanics work great, no glitches to speak of. The characterization of GLaDoS is great and make her (it?) my favorite game character. It's challenging, but not hard, the AI's decent, and the game is short, but that's good because it doesn't overstay it's welcome. The Bad: Well.....um....there's......you know what? There's nothing bad about Portal. Seriously. The Ugly: No graphics issues to speak of. The games looks great. Expand
  30. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = I seriously want to delve into the minds of the developers at Valve. They are just geniuses. This game is seriously unbelievable.
  31. Nov 5, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very nice experiment of VALVe. I really enjoyed it. Loved the humor, loved the voice, loved the puzzles. Well yes, it's short. But there's a lot of levels made by community. And the archievements. And the advanced chambers. And cake. Cake is not a lie. Expand
  32. Dec 30, 2010
    This game is the second best game I have ever played. It is quite short, but it is very fun and immersive. Can't wait for portal 2! Great addition to the orange box. 2000th review!
  33. Dec 13, 2010
    This is a great, fun, innovative puzzle game that I though was going to just be a fun game. But when I played it, I was blown away by its brilliance. It was probably one of the best games that I have ever played in my entire life. It is well worth the price of $15(current price) and I would bye it even for $100. The only problem is that the game is just a bit to short, but Valve is making Portal 2 now and I'm sure that they will fix that problem in Portal 2. I would deffinetly go bye this game RIGHT NOW if I were you. Expand
  34. Jan 2, 2011
    Portal has solely raised my expectations in video game humor forever. The game mechanics are absolutely brilliant and have just begun to pave an exciting road to endless possibilities. I could play this game over and over.
  35. Jan 23, 2011
    The most critical thing on the game is how short it is. Valve knows how to put an end to a game. I mean: Why do you want a game which requires 20 hours to finish it, if the whole game is gonna be repetitive?
    Valve done well. It's a great game, a great add to the Half Life series, and has its own light. Portal has a lot of potential. And if you are one of the guys who think that portal is
    too short, take a look at the advanced challenges, and then tell me Expand
  36. Koo
    Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. Even if you have Portal 2 I would recommend playing the original Portal. After a challenging first run through the test chambers you are treated to (surprisingly interesting) developer commentary. Additionally, there are a number of bonus maps. While not everyone will like the game's humour, I did, and any motion sickness you may experience by travelling through the portals can be solved by limiting your game time to 2 hours or less. Disorientation and motion sickness caused by travelling through the portals is the only downside to this game in my view. For the game itself though, I rate it 10/10. Expand
  37. Feb 3, 2011
    The game took me by surprise! I didn't expect that much entertainment and joy from a puzzle game! The 1st instant i started playing i became fan of portal! The way u could use surrounding and items around is something new!
  38. Feb 16, 2011
    Great game, compelling storyline and puzzles. The engine is near-perfect thanks to constant patching and expert level design. Too bad the game is too short, and the challenge maps are too easy. I can't wait for Portal 2!
  39. Nov 9, 2011
    I bought this only recently on Steam... and man, this game is pretty damn good.
    Graphics: early HL2 engine, hairy muff. - pretty good for the age (now a few years old)
    Concept: 3D puzzle ... ... (but not a shooter)... you just get a portal gun which makes. Portals!
    Everyone is getting off from the concept, but I really loved the "story", which seems to be taken somehow from 2001; space
    odyssey (HAL).

It is fairly short, finished the story in only two days. But, that said, the length felt just... "right". Just at around the time that the portal puzzles were getting old- it managed to keep pace and move the story to the last segment of the game.
    There are bonus levels and puzzles so you can be entertained a bit longer...

... and.... one of the best end sequences Ive seen in an age!! WOOOOT!
  40. Mar 14, 2011
    Portal is a challenging puzzle game from Valve. Valve is known for their fantastic, original games, and Portal is no exception. Each level is fun and creative, each puzzle unique. Portal does a fantastic job with slowly easing you into the game play, instead of forcing you to jump off the deep end. In addition to the fun puzzles, Portal keeps you entertained with the humorous commentary by GLaDOS, one of the best villains in videogame history. Although the story is short, most likely will take from 3-5 hours, depending how fast you catch on, there are a few different modes to choose from. In addition to the Developers commentary, there are separate challenges (such as least portals and least steps) for each puzzle. Finally, you can always play your fellow Portal Player map creations. In the end, this game is a must-buy for all gamers, even if you dislike puzzle games. Expand
  41. Mar 31, 2011
    Short game but it never outstays its welcome. Great and fun level design. I laughed at a few lines, but didn't find it as amusing as I hoped but I only care about game-play and it exceeded my expectations.
  42. May 31, 2011
    I heard so much about this game that i had to try it. i bought it off steam for $9 and considering that i enjoyed this as much if not more than most AAA games yet paid less than a standard Xbox arcade game blows me away. i could not find a single flaw, i had a few audio glitches while playing on my mac but overall the graphics are still great and has no game play flaws that i could find at this price. Expand
  43. Apr 28, 2011
    A beautiful game, very interesting and clever. If someone haven't played this game, they must have been missed one of the greatest puzzle game of all time. If there is something to complain about this game, it must be its length (I wonder if I play too fast or the game is too short, but I play it less than 4h!). The game is very fun, perhaps some puzzle is very hard to solve but actually there are several ways to pass a level. A great success project of Valve and let's check for the Portal 2 in someday!!! Expand
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    Probably my favorite game I've ever played. Funny, emotional, puzzling, and really fun. There is also a great sense of mystery to the game that makes it really fun to play at 2:00 in the morning. Portal proves that a video game can be art.
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    Easily the best action puzzle game Iâ
  46. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal has been one of my favorite games since the day I played it. It's extremely funny, really makes you think, and has lot's of replay value. If you haven't played it yet, what are you waiting for? Go buy this!
  47. Apr 24, 2011
    Although sometimes frustrating, never seemingly impossible. It takes awhile to figure out some puzzles, but I never had to actually look up a walk-through to get through it. Yes, the game is short... But it was still really enjoyable for the time I played it. And I don't really think the point of it was to be a long game, more just a fun one. Definitely a creative and original game. It's a buy.
  48. May 7, 2011
    Portal is a great game, It has a nice storyline, and the test chambers are very challenging. But after playing an old 2007 game and playing it 3 times in a row, I prefer the sequal, that just came out last month. Although the true reason i give it a 9, Is because it is a short game, and the puzzles are simple, I like the harder test chambers, But there basically extras in the design of this game. I beat Portal, 3 times. Its pretty easy once you've played it. It only took me a simple 2-3 days to beat this game. It took my friend 3 hours of sitting to beat this game, plus the boss level. This game is although a great design, and the credits song is stuck in my head, I agree you all should play portal 2, but you should seriously play THIS portal so you understand the consept of portal 2. Expand
  49. May 9, 2011
    Portal is a great concept, brilliantly executed. Wonderful, intuitive puzzle design, a great visual aesthetic, and some of the funniest dark humor narration you could want. Short but there's not a bad moment to be found and the price is low!
  50. May 10, 2011
    Short, sweet, charismatic, funny, and teased my head for awhile. The perfect length and a great experience, highly recommended for anyone that can spare the 4 or so hours it takes to complete, it's well worth it.
  51. Jul 29, 2011
    Portal in my opinion is a very original game. It offered something entirely new. It's a puzzle game but it's not just any puzzle game. It has a soul and a charm. The gameplay mainly consists of using a specialised handheld device to create 2 portals, one orange and one blue. Entering one of those instantly causes the player to exit out the other one, and this simple element alone is utilised in a variety of ways to solve a wide range of different puzzles, involving buttons and cubes, turrets, electricity balls and death traps. Additionally to the puzzle solving, the game has a somewhat of an interesting humourous feel to it, ending up with a wide variety of inside jokes that many people still use on the net repeatedly. So far the main drawback for me is that the game is very short, even though it's short and sweet. There are additional challenges that get unlocked once you complete the game, but if you've enjoyed this and want a full-length game, then I'd highly suggest you try Portal 2. Expand
  52. Dec 9, 2011
    When people saw the trailers for Portal, they knew it would be a fun mechanic, but nobody expected the amazingly engrossing character of GlaDOS. These two factors combine to make one of the most original PC games of all time.
  53. Jun 6, 2011
    I can not see why 39 people say this game is bad. I mean, if it's because the game is short, just get Portal 2. But Portal 1 is still awesome! Well, some people could say you could complete it in a day, but that's a lie, just like the cake. It can take up to 2 weeks to complete. I mean, I completed it in 4 days. But the challenges make wanna play it over and over!
  54. Jul 3, 2011
    Unique uses of portals, plus dark humor, plus plot, gives this game....not quite all ten. Why? I wish they would have came up with this idea sooner, because the game is REALLY short (2-3 hours average). And getting the 2nd game, I felt like there could have been no need for a sequel (yet) if Portal would have been a hit already.
  55. May 27, 2011
    While a short game, the high level of polish and wonderful humor have this game as a comparison point for almost all modern games to be held to. The style, level design, and humor come together to make a wonderful, easy to play (though sometimes hard to beat), enjoyable game.
  56. Jun 17, 2011
    The simplicity to this game in one aspect makes the story a little bit more disturbing and mysterious than its sequel. GLaDoS seems to be a glitching robotic system that has an unintentional desire to kill through her little glitches, which slowly evolves into an obvious artificial-intelligent insanity. The game is very well-made and is one of the best first-person puzzle games out there, and it's one of the best Valve games out there. The game is very short, but very fun. I can probably beat it in about half an hour and still have a great time doing it. The story is simple enough, but yes it has some very disturbing aspects about the implied history of the machine intelligence GLaDOS, and the portal system itself is very inventive and entertaining. This is a game you have to play at least once, just like it's sequel. Expand
  57. Jun 14, 2011
    this game is amazing. i notice that it is short, and im okay with that because it was just suposed to be a quick little game on the orange box so that people might ask for a sequel, all the other orange box games may be long but all of them were sequels, along with epic. this game is a full time puzzle game with some fun humor. all puzzle games once you think about are actually short, but finding out the puzzle is what makes it long. and does length really matter? if its a fun game then don't gripe about the game. it is fun. Expand
  58. Jun 12, 2011
    Clever, puzzle game, which changed a genre. Still no perfect, as it was quite short, and it was too linear, both in terms of whole jurney through the all puzzles. Hovewer even with single tool, you still have multiple ways to solve each puzzle.
  59. Sep 26, 2011
    Portal is one of the few games to exist in the industry that contains some genuine science fiction. Its an obvious opportunity of interactive games to create original science fiction but sadly is missing by most popular titles in the industry. Portals focus on good design and puzzle solving rather than the immaturity of violence and 'bad-ass'ness makes it stand out as intelligent from the dumb gaming crowd. Portal is funny, intelligent, flawlessly designed and does not over stay its welcome - the short length is by design and is a good thing. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Expand
  60. Jun 21, 2011
    Portal by Valve, was at first, nothing more than a test for the new physics system, now it has it's own sequel. Awesome graphics, outstanding gameplay, a great storyline, and a well thought out series of tests and challenges combine to make this ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER!!! I highly recommend it. It's money well spent.
  61. Jul 5, 2011
    Valve you did it again, you created a whole new idea to add you your arsenal are games this game along with portal 2 are just a must have must experience game worth the 50$ but i'm patience and waited for the summer sale 30$ =p
  62. Jul 15, 2011
    Portal introduced a brand new and exciting way to play games, and even though it was short, it has so much potential. The puzzles, dialogue, and of course, the song at the end can not make this a bad game. Valve still put a lot of effort into a game they were unsure about as they do with all of their games. The puzzles are somewhat hard at first but never frustrating, which makes the game so much fun to play again and again and again. It can be finished in 1-3 hours if you're smart, and maybe even half an hour, but there are challenges and acheivements you can complete, and of course, dozens of fan-made maps and mods. Valve just gave us a taste of this addictive cake, and we are still hungry for more, even after Portal 2, which accelerated the portal mechanic and gave it more power. Expand
  63. Jul 17, 2011
    Portal is a great Puzzle Game. The Puzzles are Great, The Graphics are better then the Sequel, the Humour is good. And it may be short but once you beat it you unlock Advanced Maps, these are alot more Challenging and add even more fun. Portal continues to provide you with fun even after you've beaten it. It's a great Game, but my only Complaint would be the fact it's very short
  64. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Yes, I realize Portal was very short. But I would rather have a quality game that lasts about six hours than a piece of trash that lasts 20. And Portal is one of the most innovative, funniest, and mind-numbing games you will ever play. The puzzles are challenging enough to be satisfying, but not so tough that they're impossible to solve. Add to that the dark humor of GLaDOS and the best video game song ever, and you've got an amazing game. Expand
  65. Jul 22, 2011
    This game is really short, but seriously, what a pleasure to play it.
    It's fun and inventive, incredibly, you need to think the first time you play it, I mean, you really need to think about how to resolve tests, not all of couse, but it is different of all this ultra-over-shooting games which are really boring.
  66. Jul 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favorite games of all time! Although it sounds like a stupid game if you explain it to someone that's never heard of Valve before, people really give it a chance. It' s a post-apocalyptic first-person puzzle game, about an old science research company, and you are one of the last humans after a hostel take-over of the evil robot/computer, GLaDOS, and are forced to complete a series of pointless puzzles, being promised a cake at the end, but finding out the hard way that it is a lie!I t's a great game! I really recommend it! Expand
  67. Aug 13, 2011
    best game I have ever played. creative game play, nice puzzle design. plot is also good. but this game is a little short. Orange Box is really cheap though, I think everyone should play it.
  68. Aug 16, 2011
    Pros: Everything
    Cons: Gets a bit hard from time to time (Turrets are Pains in the ass)
    Summary: A bit hard but if you have quick fingers it can be considered 10/10
  69. Dec 21, 2011
    I got this game for free after winning a Steam competition (Bonus!) and have already played through and finished Portal 2 so playing this game was really quite hard for me at first because of the high expectations I gave it but it quickly grew on me... Almost as fast as I finished it. After two hours I finished it and that does sound very short but I felt like it stayed just enough as not to outstay it's welcome, like when you let a hobo in your house on a rainy day and he leaves after a coffee and when the rain stops, unlike some games where the hobo would stay after the rain has stopped and refuses to leave until you're forced to enjoy his company before he actually decides to high-tail it! Overall, very fun game with lots of challenges along the way that I thoroughly enjoyed so I give it an amazing ten out of ten! Expand
  70. Sep 9, 2011
    A magnificent game that is only stained by its length. While the game lasts around 5 to 7 hours the first time you play, you'll easily finish it in less than 3 hours once you know how to complete the puzzles. However, Portal brings you in a very unique universe and that what it's all about. You'll enter a world that is unbelievably cute but dangerous at the same time: this is why Portal is so particular. Your brain will be your best friend. You have no weapon, besides a gun that fires two linked portals. The designers made the levels in a clever way with several ways to solve them. But what is even better is that you don't even *see* the other ways until you reach the "hard" mode of the game: indeed, you even have more challenges waiting for you in the very same rooms that you passed in the normal adventure after completing the game. And you'll see that... you'll eventually start thinking with Portal. Expand
  71. Sep 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like bad things so let's clear them up now:
    It's too short: I kept waiting for training to end, but training is the game
    The last battle is too easy: the timer's for 6 minutes!

That is all:

This game is the best PC game ever!!!!
    Through the 2 hours that you play, GLaDOS will guide you through the test chambers, while trying to kill you, and you must solve puzzles, and in the end, escape Aperture laboratories.
    You can't deny the brilliance of this game...
    unless you like COD...
    from start to finish, so pick it up NOW.

+ Addictive as heck
    +Humour is great
    + COD lovers will go away
    -Its too short
    - Last battle disapoints

96%
  72. Sep 20, 2012
    When I found out that there is such a game called Portal i decided to try a demo version. After completing 2 levels all my doubts about buying it or no went all the way outta window. Next day i went to the store and bought it. Now I have the game 100 % completed, 50 hours spent playing it on Steam and one thing I can say - it is the work of genius. In fact, a crew of geniuses - Valve. What they managed to deliver here are unique atmosphere and puzzles that can challenge both newbies and hardcore sons'O'biches. Some people say - the game is f'n short. My answer is - try time, step and portal challenges and you'll see that you were wrong. The voice acting is brilliant, as it combines humor with sci-fi touched scary monologues. The story is great too - it has this you-didn't-expect-this hilarious moment. Some can say that it's not so cool when you play Portal for the 2nd, 3rd time - you already know what will happen. I think it would be great to have a memory eraser to play it like the first time. And, by the way, Portal gave birth to characters that are among the most popular in game industry now. You know who I'm talking about, monsters._) Expand
  73. Sep 16, 2011
    Ellen McLain's performance in Portal 2 made her an instant hit with Valve fans. McLain shows an amazing talent with voice acting, and singing.

Portal, itself showed gamers a new way of thinking. It was rare to see a game that was so much fun without shooting everything in sight, which made Portal different from a general game. The storyline is brilliant and clever. Portal wasn't too short
    at all. It wasn't a game - It was a test. A test that did so well it got itself an amazing sequel that sold millions of copies. Those who gave Portal 10 would agree - Portal is a game you will never forget. Even when your old and senile. Expand
  74. Sep 18, 2011
    This is probably one of the most creative games that will ever be put on the market.

The game was not meant to be long, it was meant to be fun, and enjoyable throughout the whole game. Although many people complain about how short the game is, if you really think about it, there are more than 18 chambers in the game with some complex puzzle solving. The simplicity of the game is what
    makes it the best game there is out there, and now it's free, and if you don't own the orange box already, or you are thinking of buying portal alone, its definitely worth the money. But, if you are not willing to buy a game that is fairly short, you might wanna look into renting it. Well worth the money. Expand
  75. Sep 28, 2011
    Well, given that Portal 2 is a week away, I figured it'd be a fine time to go back and revisit the charming predecessor. The first Portal was a delightful pack-in for The Orange Box, Valve's compilation of Half-Life, the two subsequent Episodes, and Team Fortress 2. While all those games were highly regarded and well worth the money, Portal was singled out in particular for its innovative puzzle design which truly explored what the First Person Shooter genre was capable of when coupled with a spark of creativity and the freedom to go beyond mere convention.

Portal takes the puzzle mentality of games as old as Tetris and other 2D sidescrollers and transports it into the modern 3D space of first person shooters, though perhaps this is a bit of a misnomer as there isn't actually shooting in the traditional bloodthirsty connotation. Instead, you're given a marvelous Portal gun which greatly resembles the Gravity gun from Half-Life 2. Just as that "gun" was more of an experimental piece of equipment than an actual deadly firearm, here too the Portal gun functions in a unique manner to aid in your adventures. Rather than terminating foes, you create portals in solid matter to bypass obstacles in the environment and traverse in odd, sometimes paradoxical pathways. These dimensional holes cut into the walls and floors of the laboratory also afford Portal the unique distinction of being one of the only FPSs ever to allow you to witness your own body in front of you, without the aid of mirrors. The mind-bending nature of these portals is what gives the game such a playfully devious character and even jaded hardcore gamers who've long exhausted their stockpiles of FPS games will find it hard not to giggle at the intensely creative and ingenious environmental puzzles that Valve has conjured up in its technological cauldron.

While an imaginative and refreshing new twist on the FPS genre, Portal is let down by its short length. This is not a particularly grievous complaint as the game was meant to be a sort of free extra treat in The Orange Box, already a steal with its plethora of games, but one cannot help feeling somewhat disappointed when they've arrived at the end of this rather loopy and wholly captivating diversion of time. Truly, "short and sweet" is how the game can best be characterized, yet if only that sweetness could have been prolonged somehow!

Portal's humor has been singled out for a great deal of praise and been the source of countless memes since the dawn of its release, yet I'm not entirely convinced the game deserves such effusive love. Perhaps it's because of my own sense of humor that gets in the way, but I found the game's comic sensibilities rather tame and merely worthy of a chuckle here and there. GlaDOS, the malevolent AI in the story, delivers vaguely threatening monologues coached in corporate doublespeak but I never found these evoking an actual laugh out loud. And does "the cake is a lie" merit such a widespread meme? Is that statement really so powerfully mindblowing and clever that it deserves to be plastered all over the internet? I can't really justify it, unfortunately. The game's somewhat clever at times, but there's nothing about it that makes me suspect it's reaching the heights of comedy.

The problem with most puzzle games, and which Portal inevitably succumbs to, is the fact that they're only good for the first time. Replaying this game two years after I first completed it, there was a sensation of repetition and familiarity. Some of the harder and more intricate puzzles took me a mindful pause to remember what the solution was, but the overall playthrough was greatly reduced from my first time, as the answers were all still within my memories. There was no great epiphany, no moment of "Eureka!" that you had over and over again from the first playthrough. This is a problem that you find in all puzzle games, they just don't warrant repeat plays as the puzzle's already been solved. After that initial breakthough, you're just left with a sense of treading water. That ebullient feeling of discovery and the satisfaction of cracking the proverbial nut is lost forever, and that's a shame. It's just the nature of puzzles, and a few other genres as well. Trivia games are another example where you have this issue. The first time, you're stumped, but subsequent games are no brainers as you've learned the trivia and there's no challenge left.

But Portal's first time through is a truly marvelous and rather pure gaming experience which has few equals in the modern gaming landscape. It's one to treasure.
  76. Oct 3, 2011
    This game is very entertaining. What sets it apart from all the other games is the simply beautiful graphics, the smooth gameplay, addictive story, and flawless concept!
  77. Oct 6, 2011
    A narrative, as well as a puzzler, Portal works on every level it's almost scary. It doesn't overstay its welcome, but it doesn't seemed rushed. A near perfect game.
  78. Jun 21, 2012
    Despite the Metacritic ratings; many of opinions I heard of Portal were mixed. Some said it was short, others complain of the linear level design and unspectacular graphics. Yes, Portal is only 2 hours long. Yes, the progression is linear. Yes, the Source engine graphics are not exactly Crysis. But ultimately, these factors actually contribute to why Portal is such a great game: it's tightly designed, well-executed and unique. Anyone who likes puzzle games or even video games in general should seek this out to see what all the fuss is about. Expand
  79. Oct 20, 2011
    I bought this game from Orange Box and i was very impressed with this game, very challeging and entertaining, helps who understanding the meaning of the word Portal and the puzzles are simply fantastic. One of things i really like are the turrels which makes those very cute sounds and the ending music. I found this game better than Portal 2, this one doesnt bored me at all, it makes want to explore everything. Expand
  80. May 21, 2012
    An amazing and Innovative game, yeah its short but hell it has more fun then a lot of big games (CoD).
    GLaDOS is awesome and very funny, the puzzles aren't to easy but they are also not frustratingly hard.
    This is a must buy for anyone who hasn't played it yet and a could game to go back and play again.
  81. Mar 22, 2012
    Yes, it's short. No, it's not very challenging. This is in my top 3 favourite games of all time. The soundtrack, the mood, the story, the humour. I love it all, and the cake was delicious.
  82. May 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favourite games. The portal mechanics were unique and well-coded. The story was amazing. The cake became a meme for a reason. The extra levels were also really challenging and kept me playing it for a lot more time.

What I never got into me is the companion cube. I burned the sucka the moment I was instructed to and never got in any way attached to it. Was I even supposed to get attached to it? Who cares anyway.
  83. Feb 9, 2012
    Games like Portal are not trying to have hundreds of hours that will mostly be uninteresting and mindless but hey, most of what's on TV is even worse. No, games like Portal instead make a very interesting experience, one that will make a real impact on your mind, rather than try to eat up lots of your time. And that's not even mentioning the downloadable maps and stuff which I'm sure by now is numerous.

I downloaded it from Steam and gave it a shot. I was instantly intrigued by the game mechanics, for a variety of reasons. I highly recommend it. The puzzles aren't too difficult, I beat it in 6 hours and that's including the time I spent screwing around in infinite corridors for me to chase myself through, trying to save the companion cube and getting stuck for a few minutes here and there. Don't play it expecting something to kill time like it's an MMO or TV, just soak in the game mechanics because they are fascinating. In addition, the game does have some story, atmosphere and humor for you. Give it a shot.
  84. Jan 17, 2012
    Excellent puzzle game, the only game in first person as elaborate puzzle. It has a really interesting story and characters very striking (albeit few). The mechanics is playable spectacular and innovative portal system is very well done, thought with physical puzzles and portals at once. Graphically the game is not spectacular or anything, but meets a striking and interesting art section, although it is appreciated that the game is very well optimized for use over several sites at once. The cast of voices (even though limited only to the machines) is very well chosen, with humor and a story behind them very compelling. The sounds are very well made and is one of the games with the best soundtracks out there. This game is highly recommended, even if you have a short duration, is still a great game and giving for more (see Portal 2). Expand
  85. Mar 9, 2012
    Purely superior in experience to the 2nd portal in every way. Great story, great player engagement, great pace of introducing new ideas. After playing this one, the 2nd one felt redundant and the story felt incredibly forced. They changed their mind on where they were taking this game when they patched the end cutscene to change from you being free to being dragged back inside .. then sealed off the portal world from ever influencing the half-life world, which was very disappointing to say the least. That aside, a very fun game overall which I actually put probably about 20 or 30 hours into doing various advanced puzzles and repeating the game once or twice just because it was fun. Expand
  86. Dec 20, 2011
    finally, something new and creative comes to the gaming arena. Its been a long time since I have seen anything this creative and fun to play. The game is short, so get it while its on sale somewhere.
  87. Dec 6, 2011
    Portal is revolutionary! Once you clear through the story mode and advanced maps, you still have nearly impossible challenges to play through. Work towards challenge perfection for hours of Portal fun!
  88. Dec 16, 2011
    Portal is a first person puzzle shooter with a nice array of challenges to complete. The main feature is the portal gun, which lets you make a blue and orange portal on the floor/wall. Walk through one portal and end up at the next. This feature take a second to get use to, but is a blast to mess around with. The major flaw though is that the levels do take a while to pick up, and re-playability is low for this game. You will get a fraction through the game before the levels become reasonably difficult. In the end though, all the levels are a blast to play. The story is a simple one with several jokes tied in that make the game a little more fun. The length of completing the game is something to comment on. It is kind of a let down when you realize you get to the end and its only been about 2 to 3 hours. There are advanced versions of some levels that extend the length of the game in a very unforced fashion. Furthermore there are challenges, such as beating the levels very fast or using a limited number of portals. This adds another few hours or so. Lastly, there are achievements actually worth doing that do change the way to approach the levels. Adding all these features together ran me about 12 hours of gameplay so far. I have a few more challenges and achievements to complete, so give or take 15 hours to do everything in the game. Right now you can get Portal for $10 which is a fine price for the game. You will get your moneys worth for that low of a price. The biggest problem is those few beginning levels difficulty. It's fine to have a 2 to 3 hour game, but when a good 15 minutes feel like tutorial, its a little annoying. Also the difficulty was fine, but harder levels would be nice, ones that really challenge the player. Expand
  89. Nov 15, 2013
    I think this game might be perfect. No, seriously, this might be a perfect game. It is so well balanced, and the plot is perfectly integrated with the gameplay. I like it better than the sequel, to tell you the truth. But it may be that the multiplayer in Portal 2 is what puts that game ahead.

Anyway, I think this game is a must for any serious gamer. period.
  90. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is just wonderful, the concept of solving puzzles using the portal gun is just great, I just wish this game was longer, just like the sequel. The main single-player is great but after playing Portal 2 I feel the puzzles were way to easy. Apart from that there are challenge modes and a developer commentary to keep you busy and although there is not much replay value you will come back for more. The humor is extremely good, its hilarious sometimes to hear what GLADOS has to say adding to the overall experience. This game is just great and for the low price of 9.99 dollars on Steam this is totally worth it. Expand
  91. Jul 8, 2012
    this is a great game is very great igra.Prosto super.Prosto mega.Super yumor.Super golovolki and five times as much cool vasche klasss.valve rulit.mogete.
  92. Nov 7, 2012
    Took me 4 hours or so. Contains an interactive "developers' commentary" and additional challenges. I don't have anything new to add to the discussion about this game, I think, but you can think of it as a 3d problem solving simulator. It's almost on-rails as you progress linearly through the campaign, each stop a reflection on the problem presented. The 3d approach introduces an aspect of exploration as you try to get a grip of the elements of each puzzle. There's some sort of a story progression subtly woven into the game as you play. No cutscenes and few 'distractions' from the core gameplay. Expand
  93. May 13, 2012
    Portal really surprise me by showing me the new way and new concept of gaming. Yes, the game is really short, but it is never repeats itself. I know people would say other games are longer, and stuffs, but ask yourself, you do the same thing over and over again (Lvling, farming, fighting the same kind enemies over and over, you get it.) and that is why they are longer. Great humour in the game too. I always enjoy the sarcasm in the game. Good job to the team. You guys made a game that deserves 10/10. Expand
  94. Jul 23, 2012
    If the score of a game is an indication of how much of an impression it made on you, I think most would agree Portal ranks at the top. Writing comedy is hard, and finding such memorable and hilarious comedy in a video game is incredibly rare. The fact that Portal manages to contain just that, while being highly original and thought-provoking, demonstrates just what a work of genius it is. If any game can be held up as an example of art, this is it. Valve are the masters at creating compelling and immersive environments- and the setting of Aperture can easily feel real. GLaDOS is the perfect example of how fantastic writing and acting can create a beloved character. Portal is gaming at its finest- truly a genre-defining title, and one that will leave the player both wanting and satisfied at its conclusion. Expand
  95. May 7, 2012
    Eight hours of pure fun. Short and sweet. It's cheap and you'll love it. Grab it. How to describe it? It is a puzzle game. It doesn't take itself too seriously and it has an excellent sense of humour. GET IT.
  96. Feb 25, 2012
    This review was meant for Dear Esther: Portal 2 was a hight 10 for me I LOVE Portal 2. Dear Esther was a low 1 for me. Did not enjoy Dear Esther. Waste of my time sorry. I felt the potential for this game to be almost what Myst was when it first started that genre of story driven games. However, I very quickly found myself bored and I love English accent narrations especially but it wasn't enough to hold me to the end. I found myself aimlessly wandering around. I couldn't pick up anything nor save the game. Not for me this game had potential it was beautiful the scenery.â Expand
  97. Mar 15, 2012
    This simply is a great game the story is simple and funny but still quite strong it doesn't go on for to long and the mechanics themselves feel refreshing unlike the stale mass produced FPS games that are released on a monthly bases. This game never bored me and it actually is one of few none strategy/fight/race/etc. games that actually made me feel like replaying it (far) more than just once. Even tough the levels are quite small it gave a huge feeling of freedom because the rooms just seemed infinitely bigger when you were allowed to portal trough them. For those who are done playing the original levels there still are a lot of player made levels that grant an even bigger (or lesser) challenge. Expand
  98. Apr 9, 2012
    This was a brilliant break to the Multiplayer's and Singleplayer's that currently flood this market. If your addicted to half life, call of duty, gears of war, halo, or any other of these great games and you find yourself wanting a little more then I suggest portal. I found myself enjoying every puzzle, all challenges and the great and amusing story line. This game can amuse you whether your on console or PC, but if you are on PC you'll get the chance to experience the community made maps adding several extra hours of fun. But there is a downfall to this fun including the puzzle as if you find it hard to complete puzzles then this is not the game for you, it's puzzle after puzzle after puzzle. So do I recommend this game yes but if your not a puzzle person then I suggest trying out the console version first as you'll have a chance to return it if it does not live up to your expectations. Expand
  99. Mar 17, 2012
    The story is a kinda creepy, and I have to confessing you that I never wish play portal till a friend insisted in made me play, so I just playit, and I said :" now what" but the more you progress through the game more difficult, interesting and involving turns this. I suggest you, give it two chances, the first to start to play and the second for advancements

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.