9.4

1. Chris
    Oct 13, 2007
    Portal was what sold me on the concept of the orange box, honestly. The concept behind portal greatly intrigued me to begin with. When I finally downloaded it off of steam and played it, I was not disappointed.

The game starts out slowly, teaching you about portals, and the tutorial goes by quite smoothly. It was during this tutorial that I first learned about the awesome that is the AI "GLaDOS". GLaD's comments became increasingly more amusing as time went on, and nearing the end, she only became better. The ending, too, was truly satisfying. Few games end with a specially made song. Especially such a catchy one.

The combination of fun gameplay, fun story, and the best AI ever (Shodan can't even hold a candle to GLaDOS) propell this game to be.. well... among the best games I've ever played. My only problem is how short it is. Not worth 20, necessarily, but as part of the orange box, it is quite worth it, and I strongly encourage people to play it. Remember, the cake is a lie.
  2. MarselI.
    May 18, 2010
    I am here to explain to anyone who dosen't like this game why they're wrong. *The game is short. Damn agreed. *It holds your hand through the entire game Dowload maps, they are fun and provide you with infinite playtime. *The "puzzles" are not really puzzles Agreed, but read above. *the humour is terrible. Are you from this planet man?
  3. aaronyaninek
    Nov 11, 2007
    the best games of all time ! valve comes through again with a game i could not set down ! 2.5 hours of pure fun and addiction. a perfect world setting and use of there physics engine level layout and story, with a perfect twist. not to forget there computer voiced narrator that adds a few well placed lols.
    i cant wait for the sequals.. im not going to ruin ..but those who have played and beat the HL2 series. specificly episode 2 ill know what im looking forward too.
  4. IsaacW.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Holy crap, I've never been so addicted to a game in my LIFE, and I've played hundreds of 'em! I literally could not leave my computer until I had beaten it and figured out all the puzzles for myself.... AMAZING gameplay, and quite humorous as well, I might add! (listen to "Still Alive" during the credits....lol!).
  5. Dave
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game is completely underrated by the media. Yes, the main storyline is only about 3-4 hours long. But, the advanced modes provide *many* extra hours of fun. I keep going back to this game because it's so fun to experiment with - I wonder if someone will add the portal gun to Gary's Mod (maybe they have already!). Also, the story to this game is great.
  6. JimBrannick
    Oct 15, 2007
    It may just be that the humor is an exact fit for mine, but this was one of the most hilarious games I've ever played. Just amazingly good from a plot/naration standpoint and the game itself, the puzzles, the portals, are tons of fun. I really wish it were longer. Maybe a sequel! The cake is a lie!!
  7. TheodoreRobinson
    Oct 15, 2007
    Pure genius. The most innovative, funny, fun, FPP (First Person Puzzler) ever. The corperate rags are clueless about what a blast this game is for gamers. From the twisted, oddly endearing AI GLaDOS, to the truly unique puzzels that requirer fine motor skills, and out side the cubical thinking. Not to forget it's a bonus game. Here's to Valve, and a Grammy for Still Alive. GetPure genius. The most innovative, funny, fun, FPP (First Person Puzzler) ever. The corperate rags are clueless about what a blast this game is for gamers. From the twisted, oddly endearing AI GLaDOS, to the truly unique puzzels that requirer fine motor skills, and out side the cubical thinking. Not to forget it's a bonus game. Here's to Valve, and a Grammy for Still Alive. Get it. Play it, and life will never be the same. Expand
  8. DanKeppel
    Oct 16, 2007
    This game was crazy fun. It took me a few minutes, as well as a few tries, to figure out some of the puzzles, but I got them all eventually. Very fun to make a portal on the ceiling and the floor and fall continuously. The only way this game could have been more fun is if it was an online multi-player shooter. (wink wink nudge nudge)
  9. TheMulroneycakesIsALie
    Oct 17, 2007
    Aaaahhh....I can't remember when I last loved a game more. Actually loved a game. Sure, it's short, but it's also brilliantly original, incredibly intuitive, hard without being enraging, and most importantly it's the funniest game since Ron Gilbert's Good and Evil was released in a just and fair parallel universe. I hereby nominate Ellen McClain for an Emmy, orAaaahhh....I can't remember when I last loved a game more. Actually loved a game. Sure, it's short, but it's also brilliantly original, incredibly intuitive, hard without being enraging, and most importantly it's the funniest game since Ron Gilbert's Good and Evil was released in a just and fair parallel universe. I hereby nominate Ellen McClain for an Emmy, or something. Oh, and a Grammy. All games should give you this much actual delight. Play it. Play it twice. And when the credits have rolled, let the menu screen play out for about thirty seconds. Trust me. Expand
  10. JacobBates
    Oct 17, 2007
    Absolutely amazing!

It starts off a little slow, especially if you've already played Narbacular Drop or played with the portal gun in Garry's Mod. After the intro levels, the puzzle action really gets interesting, and you start getting sucked into the game quite a bit. The story is pretty simple, but there is a ton of character, a few surprises, and a great ending. Plus,
    Absolutely amazing!

The story is pretty simple, but there is a ton of character, a few surprises, and a great ending. Plus, even after you finish the game, there are bonus levels and challenge modes to keep you coming back for more!
  11. VICE
    Oct 21, 2007
    The Portal team certainly deserves a standing-O for their work on this game. This was a Triumph! I encountered no bugs. I could have finished it sooner, but I enjoyed taking time to search through each possible move. I hope Valve makes more maps for Portal, and releases a map editor. Hey how about 3 Portals at once... Thank You Portal Team, for this enrichment center activity. Now I'mThe Portal team certainly deserves a standing-O for their work on this game. This was a Triumph! I encountered no bugs. I could have finished it sooner, but I enjoyed taking time to search through each possible move. I hope Valve makes more maps for Portal, and releases a map editor. Hey how about 3 Portals at once... Thank You Portal Team, for this enrichment center activity. Now I'm going to have some Cake! Expand
  12. TiagoMag
    Oct 20, 2007
    The game does deserve a 10. It´s short but if you look at it as an extra to the entire HL2 collection you get on the Orange Box - I´ll say its a fantastic surprise.
    Plus, the game as a story, a really deep one.: there is obcessive passion from a machine with sentimental dislexia and you kill your best friend (I´m missing you crazy, Companion Cube...) THE CAKE IS NOT A LIE!
  13. DoisK.
    Oct 12, 2007
    The "official" website reviews, I'd say, are drastic understatements. This game marries wonderfully joyful gameplay with an intruiging story that will leave you wanting to finish it the moment you begin the game. Along with that, the humour incorporated is simply golden and there are moments where we can really laugh out loud. Also, its 3 hour long lifespan, to me, is very The "official" website reviews, I'd say, are drastic understatements. This game marries wonderfully joyful gameplay with an intruiging story that will leave you wanting to finish it the moment you begin the game. Along with that, the humour incorporated is simply golden and there are moments where we can really laugh out loud. Also, its 3 hour long lifespan, to me, is very appropriate. Too long and the game would have lost its novelty. With all that said, it was honestly the best 3 hours of my life. Do not miss this masterpiece. Expand
  14. JeyhmisGoodmane
    Oct 13, 2007
    Portal is truly an unassuming kind of game, what with it's seemingly simple story and the lack detail. However, the further you go, the more eerie things get, with a good twist and some ingenious ideas. I would have appreciated some more "long jumping" and chain jumping, but overall, Valve did a lovely job!
  15. TomS.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Portal is one of the best games of the year. Its game play is superb and a new invation to gaming.
  16. DaveV.D.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Seriously the greatest FPS experience I've ever played. plot progression, characterisation, gameplay, technical achievement, feeling of success on completion of tasks and ending.. Superb.
  17. MathiasRav
    Oct 15, 2007
    Portal is the perfect fusion of Valve's Source engine and the students at Nuclear Monkey's Narbacular Drop. Portal has a great storyline which was a lot better and deeper than I'd expected - the added "Achievements" and Bonus levels (6 advanced levels and 3 disciplines (least steps, least portals, least time) as challenges in the 6 levels) give enough extra playtime toPortal is the perfect fusion of Valve's Source engine and the students at Nuclear Monkey's Narbacular Drop. Portal has a great storyline which was a lot better and deeper than I'd expected - the added "Achievements" and Bonus levels (6 advanced levels and 3 disciplines (least steps, least portals, least time) as challenges in the 6 levels) give enough extra playtime to justify for the short story mode. I really hope Portal will have a successor; luckily, you can hear a few lines in the developer commentary mode talking about the Black Mesa versus Aperture relationship that will be explained more in-depth than in the first release of Portal.
    Portal has already provided me with lots of fun (and nightmares from the creepy GLaDOS) - I still have some challenges to fulfil and some moves to master, so it's a 10 from me.
  18. RyanMassey
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game ranks as one of the best to be released this year, with a lot of contenders to compete with. Granted, Episode 2, Bioshock and several others will still rank higher and hold more appeal and replay, Portal is still probably a greater game because of what it represented and what it does rather than itself alone. The gameplay mechanics were awesome, but it was short and left youThis game ranks as one of the best to be released this year, with a lot of contenders to compete with. Granted, Episode 2, Bioshock and several others will still rank higher and hold more appeal and replay, Portal is still probably a greater game because of what it represented and what it does rather than itself alone. The gameplay mechanics were awesome, but it was short and left you really wanting to take this idea to the next level. At the moment, it feels like a super demo for the technology of the portal gun. The cool part about it is that it'll appeal to a larger crowd than the FPS players. Casual gamers will find it highly appealing, though perhaps not at the individual price it's being offered given that casual gamers will probably not be drawn to Team Fortress 2 or Half-Life 2 or its episodes. Expand
  19. k9bolx
    Oct 19, 2007
    Im not sure if many of these people have truly completed the game or not. Once past the initial 16 levels you really need to start thinking in order get through an obsticle. I think it really adds a mental component to a game instead of "simply shoot everything that walks"
  20. TheLizardofOdd
    Dec 30, 2008
    A game that combines first person shooters, puzzles, wormhole physics, cute 'n happy robots that try to kill you, and cake (be it a lie or not) . . . Truly, there is no comparison. Valve continues to prove that true creativity and innovation still exist. Perhaps humanity -is- worth saving... for use in scientific experiments anywho.
  21. Anonymous
    Oct 24, 2008
    An EXCELLENT game, a great combination of action and a Puzzle game. Casual players may have some problems getting by certain levels, especially challenge levels. Besides even if you don't love the game its worth playing just to hear GLaDOS talk. GLaDOS will have you cracking up every level, especially in certaiin levls near the end.
  22. Oct 26, 2012
    its a very short game but fun as hell, very original and funny. it takes a no more than 30 minutes to get into the game, but than its very easy, exept the puzzles thats on a personal level for each, for me they were mostly easy. the game felt very empty, with only 1 living characters and only gladis and here heads talking, it felt just, empty. exept the short gameplay and lack of voicesits a very short game but fun as hell, very original and funny. it takes a no more than 30 minutes to get into the game, but than its very easy, exept the puzzles thats on a personal level for each, for me they were mostly easy. the game felt very empty, with only 1 living characters and only gladis and here heads talking, it felt just, empty. exept the short gameplay and lack of voices and characters its a must play game, one best 100 of the past 10 years for sure. and being made by valve its easy to understand how it got such succses Expand
  23. LaurensS.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Great game with fantastic ideas, and expert maps for those of us which finished the game after an hour ;).
  24. BenjaminE.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This genius game shows once more that a first-person-shooter like game doesn't have to be bloody at all. The gameplay is a big step towards a futuristic idea and makes players change the way they approach those specific problems. Even though it is the same concept throughout the whole game, it does not get boring at all and the guiding, smart but evilish voice with that bit of irony This genius game shows once more that a first-person-shooter like game doesn't have to be bloody at all. The gameplay is a big step towards a futuristic idea and makes players change the way they approach those specific problems. Even though it is the same concept throughout the whole game, it does not get boring at all and the guiding, smart but evilish voice with that bit of irony that accompanies you all the way to the end is yet another great feature. Releasing the game within the Orange Box together with half life 2: episode two was a great idea. All thumbs straight up. Expand
  25. Akira
    Aug 3, 2009
    I love this game. GLaDOS was hilarious the entire time, and the levels are a great way to think in new ways. Often I knew exactly how to get past something, but it would take seven or more tries to get the execution right, witch only made success more sweet. And to those of you who don't like Portal, go back to your regular, unintelligent shooters, and waste your time on another I love this game. GLaDOS was hilarious the entire time, and the levels are a great way to think in new ways. Often I knew exactly how to get past something, but it would take seven or more tries to get the execution right, witch only made success more sweet. And to those of you who don't like Portal, go back to your regular, unintelligent shooters, and waste your time on another world war two game. And, Nicholas C., if you really finished the game, you wouldn't get a loading screen, but a video followed by the endsong should make it obvious when the game is truly over. Expand
  26. KyronD.
    Oct 11, 2007
    One of the most amazing original and unique games I have ever played, sure i completed it in roughly 3 hours, but it was the greatest 3 hours I have spent playing a game, and it had hints of humour and witiness all the way through, Brilliance.
  27. JarrodL.
    Oct 11, 2007
    This is probably the most unique and refreshing games I have ever played and brings thought and puzzles as contrast to the intense and fast paced HL2:EP2 along with team fortress this presents a great alternative to the other two when you just need a little break. Totally awesome and completely fun even if it is a little short. (3 hours)
  28. DavidK.
    Oct 11, 2007
    What a great game, stylish, funny, and although short none the worse because of it.
  29. MopeyN.
    Oct 11, 2007
    One of the most innovative and funniest games, ever. When I first played it, I thought it'll be some kind of beta and no real story behind it. That's the idea you got from all the trailers and pics. But it's not true: The game is very entertaining and the idea amazingly cool. I always wanted to shoot my own portals. Prey was a good (third party) start and Portal made it One of the most innovative and funniest games, ever. When I first played it, I thought it'll be some kind of beta and no real story behind it. That's the idea you got from all the trailers and pics. But it's not true: The game is very entertaining and the idea amazingly cool. I always wanted to shoot my own portals. Prey was a good (third party) start and Portal made it legendary. The few bad things about the game itself, at least the "campaign", is that it's very very short. Personally, it took me 3 to 4 hours - and I call myself a good player. After that, you might want to replay it with commentary on - very informative stuff! Challenges, as in beating the levels in an advanced style or time/portal/step-challenges rescues the game. And eventual level-editor and community-support will round it up to a very good 10. Go get it if you didn't, yet! Expand
  30. MattH.
    Oct 12, 2007
    This is the most innovative game I have ever played and I highly enjoy it. The graphics are good, the game play is amazing, and I personally find the narrator to be hilarious.
  31. EdmundW.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Funniest game I've ever played.
  32. JoshK.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Very fun and yet very unique game. It was only a 3 hour game but had I fun the whole time. After beating the game I wanted more puzzles. The bonus levels helped a bit but I wanted more unique levels. I hope they make a portal 2 and find a way to do some co-op and multiplayer. The ending was the best .
  33. GeorgeG.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Portal is an extremely brilliant game. While I think the learning curve was too gentle, the puzzles began often tricky. I haven't enjoyed a game this much for quite a long time. My only regret is that I already beat it, or at least the main story. There are still 2 additional sets of bonus maps, plus a feature to import maps, which a fantastic mod community will grow around, and the Portal is an extremely brilliant game. While I think the learning curve was too gentle, the puzzles began often tricky. I haven't enjoyed a game this much for quite a long time. My only regret is that I already beat it, or at least the main story. There are still 2 additional sets of bonus maps, plus a feature to import maps, which a fantastic mod community will grow around, and the number of puzzles will be enormous! Expand
  34. Peter
    Oct 10, 2007
    Incredible idea, beautifully crafted, and impeccably executed. I would give it a 9.5 if I could only because of the length of the campaign, however, the pure ability and setup to be expanded by developers and users alike keep this game in the highest ranks in my book.
  35. ConnorL.
    Oct 12, 2007
    The sick and twisted humor in this game was incredible, and although some of the end puzzles were lacking, I never stopped loving how creative you had to get with the portal gun and how the AI never ceased to make me laugh in a sort of twisted way. The rooms where the previous test subjects had gone also gave it a very eerie feeling, but kept me going all the time.
  36. PatF.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Set in the Half-Life universe, this game is innovative, and highly entertaining, and packed with brain bending puzzles. I only wish it was longer, I beat it in 4 hours. Awesome job!
  37. MichaelD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Amazing game, it's full of suprises and it never stops.. and best ever is, if you beat the game.. you can still play with the extra bonus maps included. It has challanges in it, like the least footsteps, least portals, or least time.
  38. MarcusH.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This game was so great! One of the best I played in a long time. And the credits were just perfect. More games should have such endings. A ground breaking game concept, nice levels, perfect learning curve, hot ending! Just PERFECT.
  39. RyanS.
    Oct 13, 2007
    An amazing game that requires you to think in a new and unique way. Add in the ability to reply the maps with even harder difficulty and challenges adds to the replayablilty. Looking forward to the maps the online community is bound to make!
  40. TalL.
    Oct 13, 2007
    I waited eagerly, OK -- *impatiently*, for this game to be released ever since it appeared on my radar after the trailer was released. From the trailer I could tell that this was going to be exactly my kind of fun. This game *exceeded* my expectations in every regard. Although brief, I expect that there will be plenty of puzzles created and exchanged by fans over time as add-ons. I'd I waited eagerly, OK -- *impatiently*, for this game to be released ever since it appeared on my radar after the trailer was released. From the trailer I could tell that this was going to be exactly my kind of fun. This game *exceeded* my expectations in every regard. Although brief, I expect that there will be plenty of puzzles created and exchanged by fans over time as add-ons. I'd give away some of my favorite comments to make about this game, but they'd be spoilers. But I still have a few good things to add: The voice-acting, and yes apparently this is the voice acting of one certain Ellen McLain and not computer synth, was superbly done. Truly, at the risk of a pun, the icing on the cake. The storyline, although short, makes a wonderful dark little comedy within a science-fiction setting. The end titles, and what was done with it, had me howling with laughter. The gameplay is wonderfully original. As much as I enjoy my FPS-style games, this is a nice change of pace. Yes, there are bullets and rockets fired in the game, but you never get more than the portal gun yourself. You're forced to defend yourself purely with your wits and your agility. Major kudos, gratitude, and wishes for future success to Valve and the team of students-turned-pro who put this game together. It was worth the wait. Expand
  41. r4pt0rDeinonychus
    May 17, 2008
    This is my #1 FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME! It is really that incredible. Go out and buy it right now. The ONLY thing that could possibly make this game any better is if it were a bit longer. Still, it is totally made of epic win!
  42. Maslab
    May 19, 2008
    Short, but sweet. Great graphics, and nice utilization of th Source engine.
    The game is only 3-4 hours long on your first run-through. Once you get used to it, you can easily finish it in less than an hour, depending on how portal happy you are.
    Valve did a great job of hiring those college students when they found this out.
  43. bluepanda
    Aug 5, 2009
    Nicholas c You are very wrong, and the game doesn't deserve a 0 because you ended playing the game halfway through. The game doesn't end there. I understand you came to that "broken" chamber after escaping from the chamber 19 as intended, and fell through the elevator and hit the loading screen in air and then the game just ended? That is a weird glitch, never had that one. I Nicholas c You are very wrong, and the game doesn't deserve a 0 because you ended playing the game halfway through. The game doesn't end there. I understand you came to that "broken" chamber after escaping from the chamber 19 as intended, and fell through the elevator and hit the loading screen in air and then the game just ended? That is a weird glitch, never had that one. I reckon starting the game again from chamber 19, it shouldn't take too much to get there again. Even if I had came across this bug, I'd still rate it a 10. It's a 20 buck game, having one glitch there doesn't make the game worse IMO. I'm still playing the game for fun and don't think it was short at all. Expand
  44. FelixK
    Sep 5, 2009
    The Cake is a lie, but the hype for this game is NOT. The beautiful Source engine is put to major use here as you navigate through a convoluted (and darkly hilarious) maze, the only reward being Delicious Cake and Grief Counseling. GLaDOS is one of my favorite villains, using only psychological manipulation to harm you. This is one of those games that you are going to need your sound on The Cake is a lie, but the hype for this game is NOT. The beautiful Source engine is put to major use here as you navigate through a convoluted (and darkly hilarious) maze, the only reward being Delicious Cake and Grief Counseling. GLaDOS is one of my favorite villains, using only psychological manipulation to harm you. This is one of those games that you are going to need your sound on for. The puzzles do seem simple at first glance, but many are much harder then one might imagine, and have many unthought of solutions. By using certain techniques you can prop open doors and even avoid killing companion cube (sadly, I couldn't find a way to take him with me...). Great gameplay, great story, great game. Expand
  45. LukeD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    This game is fantastic. The puzzles give you an amazing sense of achievement and the characterisation is the best I have seen in any game recently.
  46. MatthewH.
    Oct 11, 2007
    This game, though short, was done exceptionally well. It's a great play and an even better laugh. The story, the vocals, and the soundtrack are all magnificently done. 10/10 by me.
  47. DavidL.
    Oct 11, 2007
    I Love this game! While in retrospect it does feel kinda short but I did think it was going to end sooner then it actually did so I'm glad for that. I really love the 3D puzzles and situations. The humor too is great. This might be my favorite game.
  48. AriK.
    Oct 10, 2007
    I have never before played a puzzle game as fun as this. And when you think the game is about over, it's only about halfway through. It has an amazing plot twist that turns the game completely around. Even the ending is one of best endings I've ever seen for any game. I will never forget my experience playing Portal.
  49. ExodusC.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Portal is now one of my favorite games. It starts out slow, but holy crap. This game is EPIC.
  50. PhilP.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Most original and FUN game I have played in a log time. It was short, but I loved every element of it. It was creepy yet hilarious at the same time - and the credits - fantastic credits. I know it is only about 2.5 hours to beat the campaign, but I enjoyed it so much I'd vote it as GOTY. Bottomline: Great! (especially combined in the Orange Box - great value)
  51. RichardR.
    Oct 10, 2007
    This was a great game, fairly easy to solve the main game but then you get to the challenges and the advance stages and it makes everything you have done up to that point as childsplay.
  52. EthanG.
    Oct 12, 2007
    This game is a great new concept, the thinking mans/womans First Person Shooter. The way the portals work makes it feel real and is quite fun to fling your self across rooms and go places and do the game your way. The Ending is great too
  53. BrandonB.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Best game I have played all year! Great puzzles and awesome plotline. Would love to see some multiplayer mods and more difficult custom maps. This was by far the most brilliant thing to come from anyone in the gaming industry this year. Way to go Valve!
  54. ChaseB.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Brilliant game. The mood and narration for the last half of the game is just genius. A first person shooter, with firing a single gun or shooting at a single enemy, yet it's still completely awesome. That should tell you something about the quality of this game.
  55. SomeGuy
    Oct 13, 2007
    Portal will blow your mind. In a good way. A REALLY good way.
  56. Thomas
    Oct 13, 2007
    I really enjoy this game. I find it fun yet not too easy. The solution is obvious once you see it, but the challenge is thinking differently in order to see the solution. I'd definitely recommend this game.
  57. LeeM.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This is a great game. I have enjoyed all of the puzzles in the game. The main feature I liked was how the portal showed the opposite room of where the other portal was. I heard that in the Developments comontary, they used a method of placing a Camera view facing outside the portal and applying that camera's view on the portal its self. Thats very clever.
  58. JoshuaL.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This game was an absolute blast to play. By far the most original and creative puzzle game I've ever played. It was also hilarious!
  59. XavierR.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Portal harkens back to 80's design in many ways - From it's length (around 3 hours), it's wry humor, to it's ACSII text credits scroll. Most telling, is that there's no magic fairy in your ear, no Big Boss to call into for help. It's you, and you alone, that take the credit for solving your dilemmas. While critics will probably give negative marks for Portal harkens back to 80's design in many ways - From it's length (around 3 hours), it's wry humor, to it's ACSII text credits scroll. Most telling, is that there's no magic fairy in your ear, no Big Boss to call into for help. It's you, and you alone, that take the credit for solving your dilemmas. While critics will probably give negative marks for it's length, Portal is unashamed by what is... An exquisite slice of chocolate cake that leaves you slavering for more. Expand
  60. GaryHockin
    Oct 13, 2007
    Intense, immensely enjoyable, clever, and witty with it. Geat fun!
  61. DewanH.
    Oct 13, 2007
    One of the best games to come out in recent times, this game blends humor and cruelty to the highest level as you solve puzzles, while not entirely too difficult, are certainly new, having introduced entirely new gameplay aspects to the 'first person shooter', despite this not being a 'shooter' in the classical sense.
  62. ChrisA.
    Oct 13, 2007
    I considered this game just a box-filler game for the orange box, boy was I wrong... This is perhaps the best surprise game ive played this year! The term first person puzzler suits this game well, no run of the mill shoot the bad guys, its just you - your portal gun and some great puzzle levels with a twist in the end. Only negative comment ive got for this game now is its length... took I considered this game just a box-filler game for the orange box, boy was I wrong... This is perhaps the best surprise game ive played this year! The term first person puzzler suits this game well, no run of the mill shoot the bad guys, its just you - your portal gun and some great puzzle levels with a twist in the end. Only negative comment ive got for this game now is its length... took me some 3 hrs to run it through and at that point was hyped up for some (much) more puzzles to solve! Anyhows, enought ramble. I a boring x-mas is looming ahead, get the orange box to keep you company. With Portal, this release is perhaps the best entertainment for money this year! We want more! Expand
  63. AlexM.
    Oct 13, 2007
    The rating of 88 is far too low. Portal isn't just a puzzle game. The story, despite having no plot is really enjoyable. There are extremely poingent, typically Valve moments. (You took the box away ;) ). This game would be worth buying in it's own right.
  64. AndrewF.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Pure Genius! Different from anything out there in a while. You definitely start 'thinking with Portal'.
  65. JonW.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This game is exceptional and the only reason why critics are upset about it is because its too short, but with level editors on the way this game will provide more content than ANY of the other parts of the orange box which is saying something, because TF2 is sure to keep giving. All hail valve for knocking it out of the park with this delicious little tidbit.
  66. PieO.
    Oct 13, 2007
    A very unique game with clever dialog and attention to detail that so many games miss. Portal is just fun to play and a riot to experience.
  67. MacG.
    Oct 13, 2007
    One of the most fun games I've played. Lots of replay value and endless possibilities with mods. Also the best dialogue (or monologue) in any game.
  68. MichaelM.
    Oct 14, 2007
    A truly refreshing and revitalizing game that takes familiar concepts and creates a fresh new outlook. A puzzler that has numerous solutions, not necessarily 'open' but it leaves much to the imagination. The game rewards those who thinks deep.
  69. LetheGray
    May 18, 2008
    I got into the game a little later than everyone else, but it seriously is an impressive, fun game. I've never played 1st person shooter types before (unless you count the first Doom game...) so this was an entirely new game to me. I absolutely recommend the game for everyone. Steam.exe on the other hand is getting a 0 out of 10 for performance and interrupt issues...
  70. JoJo
    Oct 19, 2009
    I am really fascinated by this awesome game and to be honest i never had so much fun with similar puzzle games. The only weakness from this game is the short playtime and the difficulty which is in my reason a little bit too easy.But thats nothing against the fun i had with this game so i think portal is the really treasure of the orange box and should be tried by everyone. And never I am really fascinated by this awesome game and to be honest i never had so much fun with similar puzzle games. The only weakness from this game is the short playtime and the difficulty which is in my reason a little bit too easy.But thats nothing against the fun i had with this game so i think portal is the really treasure of the orange box and should be tried by everyone. And never forget: the cake is a lie. Expand
  71. AaronH.
    Aug 3, 2009
    Great game, great mechanics and amazing gameplay. and for the people saying the loading in an elevator thing, its because your computer cannot load the level, its too old or has too little ram. no its not over. the end is when you kill GLADoS . also, please don't give it a 0 due to your frustration. or lack of intelligence to finish it. it shows immaturity. as for valve, they did a Great game, great mechanics and amazing gameplay. and for the people saying the loading in an elevator thing, its because your computer cannot load the level, its too old or has too little ram. no its not over. the end is when you kill GLADoS . also, please don't give it a 0 due to your frustration. or lack of intelligence to finish it. it shows immaturity. as for valve, they did a great job here, i look forward to more games like it. Expand
  72. zanzagar
    Aug 6, 2009
    nicholas c u give it a 0 cuz ur a retarded fag the game is faboulos and it rules i completed it 10 times and i still want more i download the mappack and i completed the ending like 30000 times and it still rules im still completing it its sooo awsome if u want a game a great game at low price like ONLY 14.99 download portal i recomend it oh and nicholas c rated it 1 cuz he had a bad daynicholas c u give it a 0 cuz ur a retarded fag the game is faboulos and it rules i completed it 10 times and i still want more i download the mappack and i completed the ending like 30000 times and it still rules im still completing it its sooo awsome if u want a game a great game at low price like ONLY 14.99 download portal i recomend it oh and nicholas c rated it 1 cuz he had a bad day bottom point PORTAL IS THE BEST GAME (PORTAL 2 IS COMING ) ok i completed the game and i heard a developerer comentary saying that they WILL make portal 2
    PORTAL FUCK YEA!
  73. ElizaSimms
    Sep 3, 2009
    This game is by far, the most exciting, inventive, and thrilling games I've played in years. The graphics and puzzles and 'hidden areas' make me wonder... 'What exsactly happened to the world?'
    The Ending was amazing. I played through the last level TWICE, just to hear it again. But the very last sence made me so confident that there will be a Portal 2. WHICH I WILL BUY FOR SURE!. She had hundreds of back up memory shperes. SO COOL. And... it also made me sad... she didn't lie, she really did make me a cake.
    I loved the game... and I rate games very strictly. The only improvement I could possibley ask for would be... MAKE IT LONGER!
    Althought the advanced maps and extra goals filled the void in my heart for a while, a longer game is all I really ask for. THANK YOU VALVE FOR MAKING IT. I really hope you make another.... God bless you Valve... God bless you. =)
  74. SarahG.
    Oct 11, 2007
    This game witty, creative, and more intellectually-stimulating than most video games. Honestly, I think I enjoyed this game more than any game I've played in 10 years.
  75. LexB.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Short, but absolutely consuming.
  76. LeighC.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Despite It's short length It is still a fantastic game, in fact what am I doing here i should be doing the challenges. In a game like this graphics have never been a consideration for me over gameplay, but it does look quite stunning. As for gameplay? Well It really is addictive and the shortness of it will be more noticeable due to the fact you wont be able to stop until you are Despite It's short length It is still a fantastic game, in fact what am I doing here i should be doing the challenges. In a game like this graphics have never been a consideration for me over gameplay, but it does look quite stunning. As for gameplay? Well It really is addictive and the shortness of it will be more noticeable due to the fact you wont be able to stop until you are done. I definitely recomend this for anyone old or young, no matter your gaming preference, if nothing else the dialog will bring a smile to your face, especially the closing song. Expand
  77. DrewE.
    Oct 12, 2007
    When I saw the ad for this game in Counter-Strike, I just thought, "Oh great, another bad source-based game." However, my friend got me the Orange Box and after installing I played Portal and was instantly captivated. It's a great game for any Physics minded person, and although it goes by pretty quick, the time is extremely enjoyable. Great addition to the Orange Box Valve!
  78. SteveO.
    Oct 14, 2007
    I was skeptical that Portal would be as fun and as cool as the trailer (which I watched Lord-knows-how-many times); I tried Narbacular Drop, the technological prequel to Portal, and was wowed by the concept but left with a bad taste in my mouth with the execution. Last night, I completed Portal. I'm happy to say, that had to be the best 6 hours of gaming that I've ever had the I was skeptical that Portal would be as fun and as cool as the trailer (which I watched Lord-knows-how-many times); I tried Narbacular Drop, the technological prequel to Portal, and was wowed by the concept but left with a bad taste in my mouth with the execution. Last night, I completed Portal. I'm happy to say, that had to be the best 6 hours of gaming that I've ever had the pleasure to experience. The puzzles were innovative, thanks to the Portal Gun; the direction of the computer was both disturbing and amusing (if not downright hilarious); and the tie-in to the Half-Life universe is both cool and left me wanting more. I *will* be playing Portal again. Soon. Can't wait for the additional content! Expand
  79. Mar 15, 2011
    This is one of the more innovative games I've played. The humour and wit make it so entertaining and the puzzles/quests are really interesting. I loved it and can't wait to play the second one. And who can complain about the end song? It's genius!
  80. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is funny, this game has a great storyline, the game looks good, overall this game is awesome. i like how this game has its own style. i love this game. i finished it like 3 times, and i still can't get enough of it! It's definitly worth the low price.
  81. Dec 8, 2012
    Incredible game! The concept is great with a huge potential and it's really fun to play!
    Even after finishing it, I still enjoy to play it again.
    A must-have.
  82. AngusS.
    Jan 1, 2008
    THE BEST GAME I have played all year. Admittedly it was over all too quickly, I think 8 hours total play time to complete the standard 19 environments, but the game itself is outstanding. Totally original, excellnt atmosphere and feel, and very very involving. I have never played anything quite like it, and on originality alone it deserves 10 out of 10. The game is an 'environmental THE BEST GAME I have played all year. Admittedly it was over all too quickly, I think 8 hours total play time to complete the standard 19 environments, but the game itself is outstanding. Totally original, excellnt atmosphere and feel, and very very involving. I have never played anything quite like it, and on originality alone it deserves 10 out of 10. The game is an 'environmental puzzle game' where you use judgement, skill and 'portals' to pass through the levels. All I can say is buy this game and enjoy the most original game in a VERY long time. Expand
  83. EricM.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Just plain brilliant. Awesome concept. Witty nerd jokes. What a game! I'm gonna wish all FPSs had portal devices now.
  84. ChrisC.
    Oct 23, 2007
    The puzzles are engrossing and will test your logic in that area of the brain you've never touched before. The game is long enough to unfold some plot, and short enough to stay fresh all the way through. The humor from GLaDOS is spot-on, and darkly hilarious for truly anyone. It's mostly nonviolent. And, one of the best features of the game, the gaping, mysterious plot holes The puzzles are engrossing and will test your logic in that area of the brain you've never touched before. The game is long enough to unfold some plot, and short enough to stay fresh all the way through. The humor from GLaDOS is spot-on, and darkly hilarious for truly anyone. It's mostly nonviolent. And, one of the best features of the game, the gaping, mysterious plot holes which leave no doubt that Portal and everything with it, such as Aperture Science, GLaDOS, and the player character, Chala, are part of the unfolding Half-Life universe. Even the song at the end (absolute genius lyrics and tune) makes massive suggestions towards the plot. The atmosphere is at the same time lit up and perfectly dark and twisted, and story speculation is the name of the game as you replay a few of the game's phenomenal maps with the difficulty ramped up. Worth the price of admission to the Orange Box all on its own. Expand
  85. Z.G.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Great new concept. A welcome relief from numbing shooters.
  86. MichaelU.
    Oct 22, 2007
    What makes this game rock is the antagonist of this game. The AI with a penchant for cake and killing. The further I ventured through the game the more I wanted to hear what the AI had to say as it suffered more and more from a bipolar disorder. I hope Valve creates more characters like the AI in Portal.
  87. KyleB
    Oct 14, 2009
    With rumors of a sequel in development, it leaves me curious as to where this particular franchise could go.. but now about Portal in particular. Just when I thought games were starting to lack originality and interesting concepts, valve made something that shined brightly above the rest. The graphics.. now feel a little dull, but it was the source engine it was released on, and being the With rumors of a sequel in development, it leaves me curious as to where this particular franchise could go.. but now about Portal in particular. Just when I thought games were starting to lack originality and interesting concepts, valve made something that shined brightly above the rest. The graphics.. now feel a little dull, but it was the source engine it was released on, and being the first thing released within the orange box, upon preordering and waiting.. it was a great game and although short, made it re playable. Also to others who think it is to short.. do the bonus levels.. some of them will keep you thinking longer then the actual game does.. and are a great challenge, personally i only could be bothered with six or seven, and about half of the other challenges.. GLaDOS, is a great villain, of which if you do not have sound on during this game.. you will miss out.. and as most of the community unfortuantely knows.. the cake is a lie, and on top of that.. poor companion cube.. forever lost within that flames.. after pointless attempts to exploit a way to save it.. (so many lying youtube videos..) If you have not played it... do so, and if you feel like something different, a group released a portal prequel, as such.. which is literally exactly the same pretty much. Except it is based before GLaDOS was booted up. Warning though, it does have quite a few sexist comments, in parts.. but that does not ruin it really.. since it brings forward a few new challenges, and an interesting different look at the game. Expand
  88. EricMikol
    Jan 16, 2009
    Portal has to be one of my top favorite games. Anyone who rates this game less than a 10 is crazy. In my opinion, Portal has the greatest replay value over any other game out there today. Most people will say the game is too short, but trust me, you can make it longer. The game is how long you want it to be. If you choose just to solve the puzzles and not listen to all the things GLaDOSPortal has to be one of my top favorite games. Anyone who rates this game less than a 10 is crazy. In my opinion, Portal has the greatest replay value over any other game out there today. Most people will say the game is too short, but trust me, you can make it longer. The game is how long you want it to be. If you choose just to solve the puzzles and not listen to all the things GLaDOS (the voice that talks to you throughout the game) says, it is true the game will be short. You must listen to the things GLaDOS says to you to enjoy the full experience of the game. This game will run on just about any PC; it has very low system requirements compared to most other games out there today. If you have a high end PC, expect to see over 120 frames per second (I know I do). Also, this game is so stable; I have yet to come across a bug in this game. This game show Valve's great quality and innovation, and I look forward to seeing a sequel (or prequel.) Expand
  89. B_Airborne
    Jul 22, 2009
    Portal rules! 10 out of 10 for sure! hours of unique game play. Personally I have never seen a game like portal. After the first levels I knew it was awesome. It is relatively simple, not easy, but only if you can figure out that the portals are linked; they don't put you through walls. I made that mistake in the beginning. But then I figured it out, and it was loads of fun. Totally Portal rules! 10 out of 10 for sure! hours of unique game play. Personally I have never seen a game like portal. After the first levels I knew it was awesome. It is relatively simple, not easy, but only if you can figure out that the portals are linked; they don't put you through walls. I made that mistake in the beginning. But then I figured it out, and it was loads of fun. Totally worth it. Expand
  90. jessicas
    Nov 13, 2008
    It might only be two hours, but that worked out very well. No excess, no filler, no fat. The story is interesting, with well-executed foreshadowing and plot buildup. The atmosphere, that being the world that Portal takes place in, the nature of portals, the nature of each puzzle, GlaDOS's voice, and even Chell's leg contraption, all blend smoothly and near flawlessly.
  91. Oct 2, 2010
    It is an excellent and addictive game. Must play.
  92. Nov 10, 2010
    i love this game. valve combined puzzles, humor, and an amazing enviroment into a delightful game. i admit, the game is damn short, but the game redeems itself, so for anybody who uses that as an excuse can shut up. i love valve and i cant wait for portal 2.
  93. Dec 26, 2010
    This is a one of a kind, it's a pearl in the mist of mass killing shooter games and other FPS. It's the refreshing breeze in the desert of un-creativity (though short). It's the touch of jokes in a dead laboratory and it's the delicious chocolate that always leaves you starving...
    But of course you don't have to like chocolate.
  94. Jul 5, 2011
    Pretty much the single best puzzle game I've played. Even its short length isn't enough for me to give this game anything less than a 10. Anyone who owns a PC needs to get this game. Every once and a while a game comes out that reminds you that real innovation can still happen. This is one of those games.
  95. Apr 27, 2011
    Portal was truly an amazing game. First of all i think we have to remember that although a great game, it wasn't meant to be the hit of the Orange Box. It was originally created as a fall bac game just in case the rest of the Orange Box didn't do very well. Besides that, it was an amazingly innovative game that made up for its lack of length and difficulty with its humour and game-play. IPortal was truly an amazing game. First of all i think we have to remember that although a great game, it wasn't meant to be the hit of the Orange Box. It was originally created as a fall bac game just in case the rest of the Orange Box didn't do very well. Besides that, it was an amazingly innovative game that made up for its lack of length and difficulty with its humour and game-play. I loved the game myself and wouldn't have changed a thing. Good job Valve. Expand
  96. Nov 1, 2011
    Truly one of the best puzzle games ever with a good mix of humor sprinkled with a sense of urgency this game is mesmerizing. It draws you in and never lets go.
  97. Jan 3, 2012
    The best game made since Tetris. Surreal, complex, with all the goodies of an indie but the backing of (who else?) Valve, all but devoid of violence, with elements of sarcastic dark humor and relaxing cuteness mixed with fearful suspense and tongue-in-cheek moments of LoLs for a story you really have to dig at to comprehend. Short, yes, but there's only so much you can do without eitherThe best game made since Tetris. Surreal, complex, with all the goodies of an indie but the backing of (who else?) Valve, all but devoid of violence, with elements of sarcastic dark humor and relaxing cuteness mixed with fearful suspense and tongue-in-cheek moments of LoLs for a story you really have to dig at to comprehend. Short, yes, but there's only so much you can do without either becoming repetitive, becoming repetitive, or throwing the average and below players at a brick wall and saying "climb." Voice acting is all done by one person if you can believe that, and the song at the end is the very definition of a cult classic. And as Yahtzee said in his review of the sequel, the only real complain that exists is the annoying fanbase who can't keep their grubby little paws off of something in order to keep it sacred. Hobbes was right. Expand
  98. Jun 5, 2012
    Oh man do I love this game. It's funny, it's cute, it's challenging (sometimes frustratingly so), and just an overall good game. It takes a little while sometimes to get used to the "thinking with portals" thing, but once you do the game is amazing. My biggest complaint (and probably my only one) is the fact that it's a jumping puzzle game but I can't see my character's feet. So I have noOh man do I love this game. It's funny, it's cute, it's challenging (sometimes frustratingly so), and just an overall good game. It takes a little while sometimes to get used to the "thinking with portals" thing, but once you do the game is amazing. My biggest complaint (and probably my only one) is the fact that it's a jumping puzzle game but I can't see my character's feet. So I have no idea where I'm jumping to. Granted, the first-person view added to the game, I just get super frustrated when I go to jump somewhere and... Oh, I jumped completely past it when I thought i was on it. Lovely. Valve has a tendency to do this, unfortunately. But other than that, this game was beautiful and unbelievably fun. Expand
  99. May 7, 2013
    Well... It's been about 10 years since I last played a Valve game. The first one I ever played was Half-Life Uplink (demo to original HL1). And it was terrific. I finished it maybe 50 times. Then I got full HL1 and finished it a couple of times too. And then I never played a Valve game again.
    Until a week ago. I got Portal Bundle on Steam about a year ago for as cheap as 10$ or so. And I wish I'd play this earlier.. This game is perfect! Its somewhat short, but the storyline is very intriguing. At first you may find it strange or even boring but do not give up on it it is well worth your 3~4 hours of playtime.
    Being a grown up semi no-life I can honestly say that this game firmly holds a high rank in my top 10 games of all time (an I've played a ton of games in my life).

This is the type of game that you would sacrifice your weekday night for just to finish this last puzzle!
    Excelent choice worth any money!
  100. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Portal is a perfect example of how it is possible to create great things from simple concepts. Of course you must have at your disposal great resources too, and Portal's again the case: some great graphics, a smooth gameplay, an interesting story which fits perfectly to the playtime. There are games out there that are short. Just deal with it.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.