Portal PC

9.2

1. EddieD
    Oct 28, 2009
    I love games that make you think. For years one of my favourite games was Myst, as it took you beyond just the shoot-em-up genre and into the realm of puzzle solving. Now Portal comes along and elevates puzzle playing to a higher level! To say that the game is great would be an understatement. It's both easy and hard at the same time. Easy, as the amount of "weapons" that you need to I love games that make you think. For years one of my favourite games was Myst, as it took you beyond just the shoot-em-up genre and into the realm of puzzle solving. Now Portal comes along and elevates puzzle playing to a higher level! To say that the game is great would be an understatement. It's both easy and hard at the same time. Easy, as the amount of "weapons" that you need to master is limited to just one - the Portal. However, it's also difficult as you need to sometimes do three or more things at once to complete a level! All I have to say is that I love everything about the game. And GLaDOS has to be one of the greatest uses of AI to have ever been created. Ellen needs to be commended 1,000 times over for doing such a wonderfully believable job with the voice! Expand
  2. MiroB.
    Nov 2, 2007
    The best logical game ever, beautifuly put in the first-person view. Engine and graphics are great and it does not have too high hardware requirements. Plot is interesting. The game is made more fun by GLaD, who often sais funny things. However, some challenges are little imbalanced, but that's not bad, because when you complete them, you are proud of yourself.
  3. DanM.
    Oct 13, 2007
    I really liked the game Portal because of the new technology of portals and the puzzles. The way you made the maps in Portal was great. I also really liked the story of Aperture Laboratories that a computer was actually the boss there, hearing the computer voice was a great thing to the environment. Also the great humor and the 'behind the sciene' parts were awesome. Made me I really liked the game Portal because of the new technology of portals and the puzzles. The way you made the maps in Portal was great. I also really liked the story of Aperture Laboratories that a computer was actually the boss there, hearing the computer voice was a great thing to the environment. Also the great humor and the 'behind the sciene' parts were awesome. Made me think the place wasn't that perfect, also sometimes when you are behind the sciene and looking at some wall you can see someone wrote there "the cake is a lie" 4 times everywhere made me think I wasn't the first here. The way the computer had some technical errors sometimes was very nicely made. And of course, the voice acting was the best! Expand
  4. BlakeB
    Brilliant.
  5. MattS.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Absolutely amazing!!! i loved this game. it made me think, it was tough but not to tough funny. valve people are btrards haha CAKE! anyway i will play this game over to see how fast i can do it. challenge maps are good. awards?!! what more do you want? sound track is awesome! end song haha! THIS GAME ROCKS i hope they can make a sequel some how.
  6. YakumoU.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Absolutely awesome, most innovative, fun game I've played in years, and certainly the most enjoyable ending sequence I've seen in probably the last 5, after finishing most AAA titles. fantastic sense of humour, and overall production.
  7. ScottH.
    Oct 28, 2007
    The only criticism I can honestly aim at this unique and addictive game is it is far, far to short. Other than that, Portal offers a refreshing change in first person gaming. A more cereberal approach is offered instead of mindless hallway strafing and machinegun spraying. I am eagerly awaiting a sequel to this hilariously dark and twisted game. Classic.
  8. CapnB.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Takes a great concept and really makes it work. Multiple solutions, visual cues, and a great autosave system make this unlike other puzzle games where you bash your head against the desk trying to figure out what the designer wanted you to do, or sets you back an hour when you mess up. I actually laughed out loud several times from the mater-of-factly humor of GlaDOS and those cute sentry Takes a great concept and really makes it work. Multiple solutions, visual cues, and a great autosave system make this unlike other puzzle games where you bash your head against the desk trying to figure out what the designer wanted you to do, or sets you back an hour when you mess up. I actually laughed out loud several times from the mater-of-factly humor of GlaDOS and those cute sentry robots. Including the commentary was also a great way to get me to play the whole game again, right after I finished it! Expand
  9. MontyF.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Goosebumpy fun. This was an absolute joy to play, from start to finish. It is super short, but think of the potential. Portal is the first game that ever motivated me to post a review!
  10. MatthewR.
    Jan 3, 2008
    The game is brilliant, the monologue hilarious. Yes, it is short, but try and get the best score on the challenge setting for all three categories, and you'll be at it for hours and hours and hours, many of those frustration, until finally the ultimate reward: Success. I think anyone and everyone will delight in this game.
  11. AaronM.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Outstanding game. Truly original, and will be remembered as a pioneering experience. When do we get Portal 2?!
  12. Anonymous
    Oct 4, 2008
    Portal has so much more to it than some tend to think! Not only does it include the amazing normal single-player (which I played through about 20 times) but it has the bonus content which adds more challenging puzzles to solve. On top of that, you can easily download maps from other people for a nearly endless experience! I'm not even going to mention the possibilities in Hammer or Portal has so much more to it than some tend to think! Not only does it include the amazing normal single-player (which I played through about 20 times) but it has the bonus content which adds more challenging puzzles to solve. On top of that, you can easily download maps from other people for a nearly endless experience! I'm not even going to mention the possibilities in Hammer or Gmod with the Portal set. Expand
  13. CraigD.
    Jan 5, 2008
    Portal is incredible. This can not be stated enough. While HL does take though, it is does not require the dimensional thinking in which Portal does. While, yes it is short and one can power their way through it in a few hours, every game is like this once you get the hang of it. Portal is unique and I am very excited to see what Valve does with it next.
  14. Staggs
    Jan 6, 2008
    Portal is one of those games that kills me to give less than a 10, even though I think it deserved the 8 I gave it. Great atmosphere, a sinister (and oftentimes hilarious) antagonist, and some ingenious level design came together very well to form one of the greatest puzzlers ever made. I believe that, though short, the game was the perfect length because anything longer than the three or Portal is one of those games that kills me to give less than a 10, even though I think it deserved the 8 I gave it. Great atmosphere, a sinister (and oftentimes hilarious) antagonist, and some ingenious level design came together very well to form one of the greatest puzzlers ever made. I believe that, though short, the game was the perfect length because anything longer than the three or four hours it will take you to finish it would begin to feel boring. My main complaint is with the ease of the puzzles it throws at you. I think that Valve spent a bit too much time getting you acquainted with the physics and dynamics of the game, to the point where by the time you get to some of the later, more difficult stages of the game, you've already solved lots of puzzles like them and need only apply the knowledge of those puzzles to pass by with ease. Still, Portal is an amazing game that is worth it for just the storyline alone, and the ending credits song is probably the most genius things ever written by anyone on this planet. Expand
  15. Lobo
    Jan 9, 2008
    THE game. It`s short indeed, but the best hours i had in my life (playing games). My wife just can`t stand no more me talking about this game! Fun, brilliant history, hillarious lines, and conected with Half Life! Ah, as my MSN quote says, i loved the cake! Sooooo delicious!
  16. DaveH.
    Feb 20, 2008
    A mini masterpiece. Must be experienced at least once.
  17. MarkusD.
    Feb 3, 2008
    It's a fantastic game with nice puzzles. It took some time til finishing them all. but it was worth it to "waste some time" with this awesome game.
  18. BrandonR.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Of all the games I've ever played, Portal is my all-time favorite right now.
  19. PatrickG.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Best shooter ever!
  20. GuyN.
    Mar 6, 2008
    AMAZING!!!! One of the best games I played ever. Loved the song in the end.
  21. MichaelR
    Mar 9, 2008
    I have been playing games since I was 6 years old so I know a good game when I play one and portal is a good game. sure it was short but you have to see past the actually game, you can do so many things to have fun in this game other than playing the actual game and that is one of the things that make this game unique and truly fun to play which, unfortunately, is rare these days.
  22. CheapC.
    Apr 1, 2008
    Before I ever played Portal, a friend told me "The cake is a lie". After hearing this I had an entirely different idea for what the plot my be, including details and twists in the story. Then I played portal and it was completely different than what I had pictured. A gentle learning curve, sparingly using time-based puzzles, a beautifully designed new game mechanic (portal gun) combine Before I ever played Portal, a friend told me "The cake is a lie". After hearing this I had an entirely different idea for what the plot my be, including details and twists in the story. Then I played portal and it was completely different than what I had pictured. A gentle learning curve, sparingly using time-based puzzles, a beautifully designed new game mechanic (portal gun) combine with the clean, uncluttered design of the levels and the mysterious (yet uncomplicated) plot to make the atmosphere foreboding and simultaneously appealing in it's straightforward cleverness. The voice on the intercom provides what would otherwise go lacking: the steel-hearted humor that's provided by the advertisements, directions, hints, and other phrases that are delivered by the player's observer. One of the only faults I can find is with the challenge levels which I feel are completely off the deep end in terms of difficulty. However, even this fault balances out the only other possible problem, which is how short the game is. These challenges are so difficult they extend the amount of playtime for someone who enjoys the game but becomes bored of reliving the story over and over. Portal is a game I already cherish. Don't believe me? I'll put you on... *OOOoooooo* Hear that? That's how dumb you sound! Expand
  23. Kent
    Apr 25, 2008
    This is possibly one of the most innovative games ever created. It is a great idea that is beautifully executed. It's an awesome puzzle game, and it's even pretty funny. Although there is a lack of texture, it A) fits with the concept and B) is not so boring that you get tired of it. Interesting story and an awesome engine that is great fun to play around with (see a hundred This is possibly one of the most innovative games ever created. It is a great idea that is beautifully executed. It's an awesome puzzle game, and it's even pretty funny. Although there is a lack of texture, it A) fits with the concept and B) is not so boring that you get tired of it. Interesting story and an awesome engine that is great fun to play around with (see a hundred versions of yourself, awesome!). Anyone who reviewed this badly has either done it because they think it needs enemies in it (please explain how that would work...please) its a puzzle game for goodness sake, not a shooter. The rest of the bad reviews are based around the fact that it is too short, firstly it is about half the price of a normal game (and with the orange box it is even less) and secondly things like the achievements and challenges add to the replay value. it is a great game, that explores a really interesting concept. Expand
  24. ArdithM.
    Apr 29, 2008
    I have a very short attention span- it usually takes me days, even *months* to finish a single game. I played Portal in one sitting. got dinner. started again. Thank goodness for a game that finally really made think.
  25. NikkiroxH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Its the first game I've actually finished on PC. I usually get bored of games during game play, but not this one. It was short, but it was incredibly funny. Cracked me up when she was singing at the end. I like cake.
  26. GeorgeT.
    Apr 7, 2008
    The best and most addictive game I've ever played. And the Credit Song is phenomenal.
  27. ShaginjiT.
    Apr 7, 2008
    This game must be one of my favorites, funny from beginning to end, intelligent, and how you must understand physics and puzzles or in other words be more cynical and intelligent to know what your doing. True you do not have to be that cynical and intelligent but its nice to see a game that at least has that element. I give this a 10, and it has made my favorite games list.
  28. LucasS.
    May 9, 2008
    It's the best game I've ever played! I hope that Valve make more levels for this game..!!! WoW!!!
  29. CurtP.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Too short, but awesome gameplay.
  30. TomG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Short, but a damn fun game from beginning to end. If you don't think your PC can run it, you need 256MB of RAM instead of 512. I ran the game at low detail and the levels load within eight seconds.
  31. DaveR
    Jul 7, 2008
    Great game. Good puzzles, funny running commentary. I loved the computer taunting you once you go "off-course".
  32. SteveE.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Awesome game!!!! anyone looking for a fun puzzle game look no futrher!!
  33. GregG.
    Aug 30, 2008
    Portal is one of the best puzzle games of all time, and because it runs off of Source, you know the physics are as real as they are going to get. Simply put, when you reach the last level, you will want to play the game all over again. Say "Hi" to GLADoS for me while your in there.
  34. AlexisP
    Aug 6, 2008
    Funny, surprising, artistic. One of my best digital adventures.
  35. KikB.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Portal is an amazing game! It was fun! I was really satisfied when I finished the game. Now a lot would say that the main problem with Portal is it's length. I thought the length was just right, because if it was longer, it would get repetitive. My only gripe with Portal is that I found a few glitches, but that's just it. So Portal is one of my favourite games that I've Portal is an amazing game! It was fun! I was really satisfied when I finished the game. Now a lot would say that the main problem with Portal is it's length. I thought the length was just right, because if it was longer, it would get repetitive. My only gripe with Portal is that I found a few glitches, but that's just it. So Portal is one of my favourite games that I've played. Now they should make sequel, if they have the time. Expand
  36. AndrewA
    Jan 21, 2010
    Portal is an excellent example of fun with no strings attached. It's enjoyable and compelling without the the need of the "ZOMG I kill big boss zombie thing, I is win" factor. It may be short and simple but that just adds to the charm of the game, making it not too demanding on the player whilst still expecting a certain amount of creative imput. Being very clever with both the level Portal is an excellent example of fun with no strings attached. It's enjoyable and compelling without the the need of the "ZOMG I kill big boss zombie thing, I is win" factor. It may be short and simple but that just adds to the charm of the game, making it not too demanding on the player whilst still expecting a certain amount of creative imput. Being very clever with both the level designs and the witty, dark humored dialoge of GLaDOS, It's a game you can play a million times and still want to play it a million more. Expand
  37. BaileyB
    Jan 3, 2010
    this is a very original game; it's not very often that one can play through a game again and again, knowing how everything goes, and still love it.
  38. HaraldW
    Jan 3, 2010
    Portal is a lot of fun , bought this game instantly after passing the demo and see it as a worth while game. Not a shooter but a puzzle game with backwards thinking needed. Play the demo if you are unsure :) Maybe they make a Portal 2 ? I would definitly approve.
  39. JohnG
    Mar 11, 2010
    I don't know if I have ever played a better computer game in my life. Combining elements from Half Life 2 and other Sci-Fi fantasys this should be the first computer game or the ONLY computer game you ever buy. This is one of the only games that combines your ability to solve problems in an action packed game without getting killed by a sinister robot that lures you in with cake, no I don't know if I have ever played a better computer game in my life. Combining elements from Half Life 2 and other Sci-Fi fantasys this should be the first computer game or the ONLY computer game you ever buy. This is one of the only games that combines your ability to solve problems in an action packed game without getting killed by a sinister robot that lures you in with cake, no joke. I dont know if you could ever think other of Valves incredible game. Expand
  40. BadgerBadger
    Oct 12, 2007
    As everyone says, it's short, but God is it memorable. It's slick, it's smart, and its developers clearly put painstaking thought into every little detail. You just have to be impressed by developers that can make an inanimate object into a beloved character.
  41. RobinW.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Polished and Slick, with a twisted computer voiceover. Fairly short, but fabulously entertaining. Limited replay value though I suspect, but it's exactly the kind of game where fan created content will rule.
  42. AlexL.
    Nov 25, 2007
    Fabulous game, with innovative gameplay and challenging level design. Worth the 50
  43. ConnorC.
    Nov 2, 2007
    I am only giving this an eight because my total play time, through this game is two hours. Thoroughly dissapointed. Some of the level designs advertised were not even included. TF2 was the best buy in the Orange Box.
  44. MalteB.
    Nov 4, 2007
    Awesome physics and logic-gaming with a funny computer-voice and a weighted companion cube ;).
  45. MortenWeber
    Oct 15, 2007
    Really enjoyed gaming this one! Gamestyle is different than normal games, its unique!
    A Real good game for who enjoy Puzzle games! The only Point of disagreing for full 10Points is that the Story is a bit short... hopefully the SDK will be released soon, so the community map editing can begin!

May Blessing of Akatosh upon you!
  46. GregM.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Simply put... what a game should be.... Somewhat short storyline... but the extras (Should you choose to attempt them) will keep you busy for many days to come. One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had... It has all the love and work into it that a homemade apple pie has! It does not seem like just another game out of the assembly line like so much of what we play today! It is Simply put... what a game should be.... Somewhat short storyline... but the extras (Should you choose to attempt them) will keep you busy for many days to come. One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had... It has all the love and work into it that a homemade apple pie has! It does not seem like just another game out of the assembly line like so much of what we play today! It is in its own league! Expand
  47. JosephC.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Quirky and strange - more games need passive/aggressive synthesized robot females villains. Pure quality - Who cares if it's short?
  48. RamsesIICP
    Nov 6, 2007
    Spectacular. Strikes fast and hard, and then wraps it all up in time for tea. Bonus puzzles provide much needed difficulty factor without dragging down the solo game under too much repitition. Portal II when are you?
  49. TomT.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Probably one of the best games I've ever played. It's funny, smart and makes you think. I could go on and on, listing a wide varity of topics, however the only way to truely understand and enjoy this game is to play it, no review or score can do it justice, you cannot grasp the greatness of this game from second hand information, if you want to know why I'm giving it a 10, Probably one of the best games I've ever played. It's funny, smart and makes you think. I could go on and on, listing a wide varity of topics, however the only way to truely understand and enjoy this game is to play it, no review or score can do it justice, you cannot grasp the greatness of this game from second hand information, if you want to know why I'm giving it a 10, go play it. Expand
  50. WesW.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Portal is amazing. You will definitely want to play through the whole story mode on one sitting. It is that much fun. One play-through isn't enough though and you will definitely keep thinking about it and come back for more. The bonus "Advanced" puzzles and challenges are also fun. I wish there was more!
  51. Manny
    Oct 17, 2007
    This game is unlike any of it's kind. Absolutely great work. It is literally a "Game IQ Test" that is extremely fun to play. The first thing that I thought was impossible to accomplish was taking only 10 steps to finish Level 13 on the challenge maps. Ten steps means a gold medal, and I freaked out when I actually got it =D One of the most satisfying times I've ever had in a game.
  52. KorosuI.
    Oct 18, 2007
    The funnier game I've ever played. And that's a point. Everything in Portal is brilliant. Great game, I just can't wait until Valve release some more of Portal.
  53. MB
    Oct 19, 2007
    Entertaining story and top notch gameplay. This is not just a puzzle game, its fun and funny, and even a little creepy. The concept is great and it is a new idea in a genre that needs some fresh air.
  54. DaiH.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Something that people cant grasp, is that its a puzzle game. Its not about killing anything, but trying to succeed in passing the test. It has extensive replayability in the advanced levels and the Portal/Time/Step limited levels, and passing each one gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Now lets hope for some custom puzzles to be released :D.
  55. Jason
    Oct 19, 2007
    Great game... but myself and my brother beat the game in less than 3 hours... kind of a joke. I just hope they throw some expansion levels out soon, or incorporate the portal gun into a half life game.
  56. NicholasJ.
    Nov 9, 2007
    This a very excellent game. It looks like its way beyond excellent for level design, gameplay, and humour. But total play-time is a dissapointment.
  57. DavidJ.
    Dec 21, 2007
    There are a lot of "eight" ratings out there that sound like they'd have been a 10 if the game were longer. Weighing in from the "been a gamer since Pong" demographic, with a job that leaves little time for gaming, I am absolutely thrilled for an outstanding, innovating, SHORT experience. Perfect value for $20. The best game I've played in 2 years.
  58. K.S.
    Oct 20, 2007
    The first and most likely last game I will rate a game here, but I was so impressed with it I just had to push up the user score a bit more (like it needs it pfff). Portal is a breath of fresh air, after years of the same old (FPS type) re-done over hyped (Halo3 *clears throat*) crap they re-release over and over again. I'm happy to say to anyone and everyone that will listen, Portal The first and most likely last game I will rate a game here, but I was so impressed with it I just had to push up the user score a bit more (like it needs it pfff). Portal is a breath of fresh air, after years of the same old (FPS type) re-done over hyped (Halo3 *clears throat*) crap they re-release over and over again. I'm happy to say to anyone and everyone that will listen, Portal is a must have game. Buy it now! Expand
  59. LoveM.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Wonderful humor and well executed puzzles. My best gaming experience in a long time.
  60. JenniferR.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Portal is, I think, simply the best thing Valve has yet produced. It is overly short, but perfect in the time it offers. What it needs most is an utterly user-friendly, simple and easy puzzle level creator. With that, it would shine like a nova.
  61. DouglasA.
    Oct 20, 2007
    One of the best & most addictive games i've ever played, lots of fun good to have a game that is fun, scary and has lots of puzzles without going around killing everyone.
  62. AndrewM.
    Oct 25, 2007
    This is a very entertaining game, although short it is a releaf from the more standard first person shooter. Humorous and worth playing more than once.
  63. LucL.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Best puzzle game ever. Best of both gaming world (Puzzles and FPS).
  64. DavidF.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Excellent, Wonderful! My only complaint is the lack of additional maps and levels of play. I look forward to the future posabilities!
  65. NickR.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Its about time someone realized humor, originality, and fresh gameplay is needed and executed it.
  66. Daggers
    Oct 20, 2007
    An awesome puzzle game that keeps you thinking from start to finish, a great sense of humour in the game and a great addition to The Orange Box.
  67. Alex
    Dec 8, 2007
    My only complaint about portal is that it's too short ... but only if you don't try doing the challenges and trying to get all the acheivements. Easily one of the most fun games I have ever played.
  68. SamuelL.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Portal is a conceptual heaven with the most innovative use of the FPS genre ever seen. The gameplay is ever enhanced by the seemingly innocent yet malevolent computer AI constantly broadcasting its views to the player. Best play of the year!
  69. ToryN.
    Oct 30, 2007
    How can anyone not rate this a 10? It's the most inventive and intense puzzle game ever, and if you don't think so and you're crying about how it's not another shooter (yes, they are fun, but each one doesn't expand superbly on the next) then go die.
  70. SteveT.
    Oct 30, 2007
    What a refreshing, intelligent and fun concept. I have completed the game in a few hours and can't wait to see how they'll develope this game further. Keep up the great work!
  71. PatrickP.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Nearly flawless game. AMAZING concept, executed extremely well. A subtle amount of story is hidden beneath the game. Epic credits song, and a couple of other cool tracks as well. Graphics are top-notch. The second section of the game is a great atmosphere change. User-created content is already up and running, giving a nearly infinite replayability factor. All in all, an excellent Nearly flawless game. AMAZING concept, executed extremely well. A subtle amount of story is hidden beneath the game. Epic credits song, and a couple of other cool tracks as well. Graphics are top-notch. The second section of the game is a great atmosphere change. User-created content is already up and running, giving a nearly infinite replayability factor. All in all, an excellent experience for a gamer looking for something other than a traditional FPS. Expand
  72. JohnH.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Seriously, this is quite possibly the most entertaining three hours I have had in years of video game playing.
  73. AndrejL.
    Jan 20, 2008
    If you asked me what's my best game before this game came out I couldn't be able to give you straight anwser... After playing Portal it became by far the best game I have ever played (sorry HL). The whole experiance of playing through this game was amazing. Trully an epic classic!
  74. AaronY.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Paired down to a short blazing game, every second is great puzzle sleuthing and hillarious GLaDOS dialouge. I doubt there will be another game this phenomenally good for many years. I do hope that Valve continues to connect the "Aperture Science," and "Black Mesa," worlds. Their sum would be greater than their parts.
  75. melindawyers
    Jan 27, 2008
    The Orange Box should have been labeled "Portal and Friends"
  76. DanielY.
    Jan 3, 2008
    This is the single greatest PC game of 2007. It is creative and original. The commentary alone would be a great game. If I didn't get to look at what was happening on screen the game would rate higher than 90% of the rehashed garbage of 2007. In an industry which promotes money-making as priority one and entertainment as a bi-product of a standardized game Portal makes a statement. This is the single greatest PC game of 2007. It is creative and original. The commentary alone would be a great game. If I didn't get to look at what was happening on screen the game would rate higher than 90% of the rehashed garbage of 2007. In an industry which promotes money-making as priority one and entertainment as a bi-product of a standardized game Portal makes a statement. It dares to be bold and different, do not let the length of the game dismay you. It's long enough to keep you entertained for a few hours and as a part of an essential game package (orange box) is a definite must have. Expand
  77. HenrikH.
    Jan 30, 2008
    Fantastic game. First is the innovative gameplay, Portal is the first game in over a decay that actually delivers a new kind of gameplay to game. Second is the humor, GLaDOS sarcastic, ironic lies about cake is well placed through the hole game and it gets better by the time. A little minus is the lenght but the overall game is fantastic.
  78. JoshU.
    Jan 3, 2008
    A refreshing break from the hardcore, mindless violence of most other titles, Portal manages to create a deep and believable world with only a short amount of gameplay. In-game characters like the android turrets and faithful companion cube, although they play relatively small parts in gameplay, are nonetheless among the most memorable of all game characters from this year. The ending A refreshing break from the hardcore, mindless violence of most other titles, Portal manages to create a deep and believable world with only a short amount of gameplay. In-game characters like the android turrets and faithful companion cube, although they play relatively small parts in gameplay, are nonetheless among the most memorable of all game characters from this year. The ending credits took me completely off guard, but cemented the fact that this game was very deliberately and perfectly made. Expand
  79. JamesT.
    Feb 11, 2008
    I think this game was beautiful every class was great as well as it makes you properly use teamwork to win on big servers. I just loved it.
  80. MaximC.
    Feb 17, 2008
    Oh, yes! It's really the Best Game!
  81. AllyD.
    Feb 21, 2008
    Would of been a TEN but for short life span! this game is amazing and simply genius, but i completed it about 3 hrs total. they better make a part 2. I loved this game, but this is more like an intro. speed test add more life but the 1st player was so good. i was gutted it was so short. comforted myself with a big real cake, and played again. To Valve, don't be scared, make it big Would of been a TEN but for short life span! this game is amazing and simply genius, but i completed it about 3 hrs total. they better make a part 2. I loved this game, but this is more like an intro. speed test add more life but the 1st player was so good. i was gutted it was so short. comforted myself with a big real cake, and played again. To Valve, don't be scared, make it big and hard, we can handle it!!!the potential for this game is huge. Expand
  82. LordW.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Fooking brilliant game. Perfect down to the exit song! Shame it wasn't longer. How about combining Half-Life with Portal? You could make the enemy shoot at themselves. You could sneak up behind the enemy and twat them. Could be interesting, no?
  83. KitrinaY.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Way too short, but for the intensity of the puzzles and being forced to think outside of the box.. brilliant! Simply brilliant! I'd love it more if it had a sequel.
  84. RyanS>
    Feb 3, 2008
    Portal is a great game. It's challenging in the later levels, but do-able. Yes, the main game may be quite short, but while it is there, its brilliant. Some of the challenges seem almost stupidly difficult, i.e the step limit, but there's so much satisfaction from getting the vanilla crazy cake at the end of the 6th advanced map. Best thing is, my lousy graphics card can run it Portal is a great game. It's challenging in the later levels, but do-able. Yes, the main game may be quite short, but while it is there, its brilliant. Some of the challenges seem almost stupidly difficult, i.e the step limit, but there's so much satisfaction from getting the vanilla crazy cake at the end of the 6th advanced map. Best thing is, my lousy graphics card can run it on high! So pretty. Expand
  85. MRBunny
    Feb 5, 2008
    So scared were we all that the fps genre would die away, because of a lot of repetitiveness. Valve has proven even us greatest critics all wrong. Good on them i say, good on them. Best game I have played in a long time. Though short, a major challenge. 11/10 From MR Bunny
  86. JaredG.
    Feb 7, 2008
    This game proves you can have fun in a FPS without actually shooting anybody.
  87. DougV.
    Feb 8, 2008
    Can't wait for Portal 2, although it's hard to imagine what could be done to maintain the atmosphere of the first offering.
  88. ChrisJ.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Whilst this game is relatively short, it is probably one of the most important games ever made. The puzzles are sublime and the script often had me in tears of laughter. I only wish it was longer.
  89. FranciscoS.
    Feb 9, 2008
    An excellent game, full of mystery and action but with the use of your brains too. My favorite single player game.
  90. JarettE.
    Mar 1, 2008
    I hear the gameplay is short over and over again. Sure it was short but getting the acheivments takes time and practice. The campaign type thing was tight but it didn't take that long to compleate. It's worth compleating though, and the advanced maps and challenges take up the biggest part of the game really. I would say it's worth buying if you like things that are trippy I hear the gameplay is short over and over again. Sure it was short but getting the acheivments takes time and practice. The campaign type thing was tight but it didn't take that long to compleate. It's worth compleating though, and the advanced maps and challenges take up the biggest part of the game really. I would say it's worth buying if you like things that are trippy and just plain weird. The challenges are a bit annoying though because the steps one is really hard. Expand
  91. LanceM.
    Mar 18, 2008
    This game is genius! I've never played a game that made me laugh as much and made me think as much. Every level I thought was more and more impossible, but when I stopped to think about it, the solution was there waiting for me. The sense of humor from the computer interaction with the player had me in tears laughing. I'm only sorry I finished it so quick.
  92. EmilF.
    Mar 19, 2008
    I like the game because it are so realistics and the sound is so real. Ps the game is very fun and you can sit a complete the game again and again whitout be bored.
  93. SimonL.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Its a challenge to the mind... Really hard sometimes but i finnished it at a day.
  94. AlexanderG.
    Mar 3, 2008
    It is a long loong time i have ever played a more entertaining and suprising game. Love it!
  95. KR.
    Mar 8, 2008
    This game is among the most brilliant games ever made, and anyone who denies that isn't thinking properly. Nobody ever listen to IGN or AceGamez ever again. Or Ally D. Also, I have some unprintable things to say about Play (Poland)'s review of this game.
  96. DylanF
    Apr 1, 2008
    This game is a breath of fresh air in an industry where practically every FPS is a ripoff of Quake, Halo, or Half Life. It's been a long time since a game has been so successfully original. The story and gameplay are sublime, and not to mention hilarious. At times you'll be laughing out loud listening to GLaDOS. There is some excellent writing done here and it really shows. The This game is a breath of fresh air in an industry where practically every FPS is a ripoff of Quake, Halo, or Half Life. It's been a long time since a game has been so successfully original. The story and gameplay are sublime, and not to mention hilarious. At times you'll be laughing out loud listening to GLaDOS. There is some excellent writing done here and it really shows. The main gripe people have about it is that it's short, which is true; you'll probably finish it in 2-4 hours. But it's short and sweet, the level of enjoyment will only increase the further you progress goes out with a bang. Absolutely stunning from start to finish and you'll love every second of it, I know I did. Expand
  97. TimothyO.
    Apr 11, 2008
    While Portal is short, it's perfectly so, as it draws you in, and keeps you occupied for the perfect amount of time. Plus, any game that has me thinking for over 15 minutes on a specific puzzle has to get my vote. Remember, the cake is a Lie.....
  98. JoeL.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Very entertaining game, I can honestly say I enjoyed every challenge in Portal. The gameplay was unique and I wish there was more to it after the end. Amazing game.
  99. BrandenH.
    Apr 9, 2008
    I agree with CE. This is an amazing game. Especally if you enjoyed the "mini puzzles" from Half Life 2. This is one of the most inovative games of the year, and i would give it a 10. The only problem is that it is a little short. I am only taking off one point because how long can you expect a puzzle game to be? Anyway this is a great game and I highly recommend picking it up next time I agree with CE. This is an amazing game. Especally if you enjoyed the "mini puzzles" from Half Life 2. This is one of the most inovative games of the year, and i would give it a 10. The only problem is that it is a little short. I am only taking off one point because how long can you expect a puzzle game to be? Anyway this is a great game and I highly recommend picking it up next time you see it. Its a great deal with the rest of the orange box! Expand
  100. SageR.
    May 1, 2008
    One of the best, if not THE best game on the market today, You absolutely have to try this!

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.