Portal PC

9.3

1. JonathanF.
    May 8, 2008
    This is by far the best game I've ever played. Everything about it was well done, and there's not a single thing I can think to complain about.
  2. CharlieG
    Jun 12, 2008
    Innovative, original and witty.
  3. ChrisP
    Jun 19, 2008
    The best,shortest,funniest, game ever made.
  4. JubalB.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Immediately after Portal's release, I played it all the way through five times before I played anything else. It's actually that good. And the ending song cracks me up. This game and its developers certainly deserve all the awards they gathered from Portal.
  5. Jack
    Jul 16, 2008
    While the advanced bonus levels were too frustrating for me, this game was dizzyingly fun and fantastic providing me with hours of enjoyment. I HIGHLY recommend it. Considering the price, I doubt you'll regret it.
  6. DanN.
    Jul 21, 2008
    Anyone who gave this game anything less then 8 is stupid and just trying to put a good game down.
  7. MariusG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Best game Valve has ever made! lets just hope A sequel is coming.
  8. KenS.
    Jul 9, 2008
    Crazy revolutionary game that will you bind to your computer seat. Ive got just a single Approach: its to short. (sry 4 eventually bad English).
  9. JimmyG
    Aug 30, 2008
    Awesome game. Finally a game that involves more thinking than just shooting (not that I don't like shooting...), but it is good to get a little variety. Great game, loads of fun to play, and of course, the voice over the PA is really funny.
  10. DH
    Aug 3, 2008
    this is the best game i have ever played in my life. Makes you think very hard at points, and always requires you to think outside the box. The voice acting is excellent and if you listen to what is said you will undoubtedly be laughing from start to finish, but you will still be aware that the game has an aire of seriousness. The game flows very well and keeps you enthralled for all of this is the best game i have ever played in my life. Makes you think very hard at points, and always requires you to think outside the box. The voice acting is excellent and if you listen to what is said you will undoubtedly be laughing from start to finish, but you will still be aware that the game has an aire of seriousness. The game flows very well and keeps you enthralled for all of the 2-4 hours you will be playing this. As i said, 2-4 hours, this game is very very short compared to other valve games, and even compared to the vast majority of other games made, but this is a brilliant move by valve, because you can, in one sitting, whether you are a hardcore or casual gamer, finish this game, meaning everything about it is still clear in your mind and you remained immersed. Immersion is a thing that can make or break any game, but if the game keeps you thinking you are that person and in that situation, then chances are, its a hit. Portal does this brilliantly and the only thing that brings you back to your senses is the trademark valve loading screen. The 'point and shoot' element that is in it is a brilliant innovation, destroying things, manipulating the environment and destroying a boss (in one of the best and most unpredicted boss fights to fall in any game) with a very very clever but non-violent weapon. This makes the idea that you have to think a lot, and enforces that you have to think a lot to complete this, very much stronger. This is one of the simplest games every made, but as i have said many times in this review, requires you to think outside the box greatly. Although the game is very simple to play, hardcore gamers who want a challenge have it, as portal has achievements you must get (anyone who can keep the radio from start to finish deserves a medal and the money they paid for the game back, never mind an achievement). These vary from fairly simple things, such as complete a section of the game, to difficult ones such as complete an area in a set amount of time or with a maximum number of portals, to the downright insane, such as the radio one i said before and falling 500ft, and as there are no 500ft drops in the game, valve are, once again, making you think very hard about how to do this I wish i could give this masterpiece 100000 out of 10, but as that isn't aloud, I'll just have to live with only being able to sing it nowhere near enough praise. Every gamer of every age from everywhere must play this game as it is a truly unique experience, and with portal 2 just around the corner, seems like we will be in for a treat once again. Truly top notch gaming. Expand
  11. PoRTalfReAk
    Sep 4, 2008
    Anyone who says it has no story must either be a personal friend of Hillary Clinton or have no ears. In case you didn't notice, GladOs is an insane computer that wants to be free, and due to the fact that she was designed to not be able to shut herself down, the only way to do that is to torture you with tests so you eventually get hacked off enough at her (it was really painful to Anyone who says it has no story must either be a personal friend of Hillary Clinton or have no ears. In case you didn't notice, GladOs is an insane computer that wants to be free, and due to the fact that she was designed to not be able to shut herself down, the only way to do that is to torture you with tests so you eventually get hacked off enough at her (it was really painful to have to kill the Companion Cube) to try and kill her. And you can tell how dissapointed she is that her plan failed (she cleary states in the ending song that she "is happy to be still alive" and, but she is a lying bowl of sarcasm, which she states herself after revealing that the cake "is a lie".) So you guys who think it has no story or give it a zero, you must either be deaf, or play way too much GTA and Halo, where the story is so obvious that you need no intellengence to play it. Unfortunatley for you, Portal requires that you be smart. Once again, Valve has outdone themselves. Expand
  12. NikitaM
    Dec 13, 2009
    Most amazing game i have ever played in. The campaign is so unic. And I wish there could be an online game of portal.
  13. AlejandroF.
    May 10, 2009
    Portal concep idea is great, the idea of a innocent machine gun and main computer watching you is great, sound effects and graphics great, many option to resolve puzzles great... in resume GREAT GAME!!! Congratulations Guys.
  14. GabeT
    May 6, 2009
    One of the best games I have ever played. Short, but shows off a wonderful mechanic, and has amusing, albiet nearly invisible characters.
  15. EzraB
    Jun 3, 2009
    This is an awesome game, but remember that if you find it too short, or too easy, try out the Source SDK and make a mod to keep you busy. But is it really worth complaining? You decided to spend your money, and you're the one who beat it. It's not like you didn't get to play. This game is officially one of the best I've seen, and I've seen a lot of games. Also, This is an awesome game, but remember that if you find it too short, or too easy, try out the Source SDK and make a mod to keep you busy. But is it really worth complaining? You decided to spend your money, and you're the one who beat it. It's not like you didn't get to play. This game is officially one of the best I've seen, and I've seen a lot of games. Also, don't use the excuse "I don't know how to use Source SDK" because the internet is an infinite resource. Expand
  16. AlexC.
    Jul 2, 2009
    People giving this game a 1 should read the title you morons its called "Portal" thats the game so you should of read the title before paying 20 bucks i personally beat it 3 hours its a good game kind of hard but dont just give it a 0 cause its easy we know that it was supposed to be an introducter to a new game there making so i hate h8ters PS.READ THE TITLE.
  17. AnthonyP
    Jul 30, 2009
    Great game, really tests your problem solving. I love how with source SDK, you can make your own maps, and its hilarious. love the computer that talks to you. "companion cube" "you will be baked, and then there will be cake".
  18. JoeM
    Jan 21, 2010
    Quick, fun, and challenging at times, Portal is a game that is hard not to notice. With an encouraging overseer the first-person, large scale puzzles make for an inovative and brain stimulating experience.
  19. ChrisM
    Jan 7, 2010
    I've beaten it countless times, and even though it doesn't have as much replay value as a multiplayer game, it will always be my favorite game.
  20. EthanT.
    Apr 5, 2010
    I thought this game had an amazing concept and I wouldn't recommend buying it separately for $20 instead I would buy it with the orange box for $20. And for all you ney sayers who say its to short and easy its because valve were worried that people woudent like it so they made it short and put it safely in the orange box with games you knew like half life 2. And so portal was(and I thought this game had an amazing concept and I wouldn't recommend buying it separately for $20 instead I would buy it with the orange box for $20. And for all you ney sayers who say its to short and easy its because valve were worried that people woudent like it so they made it short and put it safely in the orange box with games you knew like half life 2. And so portal was(and still is)the best game EVER!!!!!! Expand
    Oct 10, 2007
    This is a very original, ingenious game, and as far as that goes, this game DESERVES a 10 out of 10. It had great graphics and sound, and an completely unique story and concept of portals. However, I found the brevity of your experience in the "Aperture Science Center" to be a complete buzzkill. I felt like I was just getting started when the game abruptly came to a screeching halt. The This is a very original, ingenious game, and as far as that goes, this game DESERVES a 10 out of 10. It had great graphics and sound, and an completely unique story and concept of portals. However, I found the brevity of your experience in the "Aperture Science Center" to be a complete buzzkill. I felt like I was just getting started when the game abruptly came to a screeching halt. The puzzles were not that difficult, even in the advanced mode (except for the last one... that one is hard!) The game takes a truly brilliant original concept and delivers it extremely well, but only delivers for about 3 hours with some pretty simple puzzles. I hope this is just a teaser of what is going to come next, because if this is all we get, it is a great disappointment. Expand
  22. TomH.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Beautifully well-judged, original and engaging. Offbeat slightly spooky, slightly humourous world - like 2001 or Dark Star. Challenging. Stylish. Self-contained. Short but sweet. Whether you are a regular gamer, or someone who normally prefers TV or movies, you should try Portal. It's different, in a good way.
  23. JustinM.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Portal is a spectacular game with tons of features and a great idea. I loved the entire game, especially the computer's voice and dialogue. The plot and the game itself blew me away. I liked this game more than all the other games in the Orange Box package.
  24. CarsenK.
    Nov 16, 2007
    This game has got to be at least one of the top unique games of 2007! Very unique game play and is certainly a top competitor.
  25. HawkE.
    Nov 16, 2007
    This game is great. the game play is fantastic and the portal gun is a fun new toy to use.
  26. SebastianD.
    Nov 1, 2007
    With an engineer-ish sense of humor, this game feels fresh and innovative. Funny and with an atmosphere reminiscent of Black Mesa, Portal recovers much of the spirit of the old Half-Life It feels a little bit short, but it is an overall great game! Go get it.
  27. MrT.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Best SP game I've played in a long long time. And one of the best endings to agame in a good while too. Far more enyable than HL2 and all its episodes.
  28. TreyK.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Excellent gameplay, concept, and execution. Awesome and humorous ending. Only falls short of perfect for being a very short play. Well worth the money though, cannot wait to see what players create for it.
  29. MattN.
    Oct 12, 2007
    This was absolutely one of the best games I have ever played. Valve outdoes itself in greatness with nearly every test. The storyline is amazingly woven not just in intense dialog and experience, but also with the semi-secret rooms and well-made writing on the wall. Also included is the best song in any game I've ever played. The only fault I witnessed in my 15 hours of gameplay so This was absolutely one of the best games I have ever played. Valve outdoes itself in greatness with nearly every test. The storyline is amazingly woven not just in intense dialog and experience, but also with the semi-secret rooms and well-made writing on the wall. Also included is the best song in any game I've ever played. The only fault I witnessed in my 15 hours of gameplay so far is that in game, the second portal is orange, while in the keyboard options tab, it is denoted as red. A simple coding and communication problem, I'm sure. Overall, Portal is worth anyone's time and money and so much more. As a final thought, you actually play as a girl! Which is unheard of in most shooter games, sans Perfect Dark. Expand
  30. AndrewD.
    Nov 24, 2007
    A very good game with a very creative but short storyline. The gameplay was very well thought out and the ending was brilliant and well done, this game made my day and might well be one of the best this year.
  31. PeerB.
    Nov 2, 2007
    The best game in years. Had some hype, but unlike other hyped games did keep up to what it promised and had even more to give.
  32. VenomousClaw
    Oct 12, 2007
    Portal is, although only resonably short, an innovative step forward. I can't think of another game that challenges the player to think about the effects of force, speed and gravity in a 360 degree way. "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." It's easy to get to grips with right from the beginning, the lab computer 'GLaDOS' leads you onward towards your final Portal is, although only resonably short, an innovative step forward. I can't think of another game that challenges the player to think about the effects of force, speed and gravity in a 360 degree way. "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." It's easy to get to grips with right from the beginning, the lab computer 'GLaDOS' leads you onward towards your final goal, while saying sinister and sometimes pure comedy genious lines. "Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck." Oh, and the level with the Companion Cube has the funniest pictures and quotes I've seen in a Valve game. Expand
  33. ShadowCannon
    Oct 13, 2007
    Mind bending fun and the crazy computer GLaDOS made me laugh all the way through. The game may only take 2 to 5 hours on your first run, but I have never played a game which has been so entertaining all the way until the end. It will take longer to finish the bonus maps and complete the achievements. If you don't buy the orage box, be sure to pick up this!
  34. AndrewW.
    Nov 3, 2007
    This is probably the best game I have played all year. Whether it be the innovative puzzles you must solve or the hilarious dialog, this game has what it takes to be awesome and replayable for at least the next year.
  35. AnonymousMC
    Oct 13, 2007
    I can only think that any reviewer that did not rate this a 10 is a thinking much to traditional in a review philosophy.
    Yes, its short. But does that not keep short stories from being some of the best literature of all time. Plus you can't use the price point as a reason that it should be longer since it comes with TF2 and EP2.
    Hands down, there has not been a game so
    Hands down, there has not been a game so unique in the delivery of a narrative, so brilliant in its humor, and so outright thrilling an experience. If this were any longer than 3 hrs, it would have just become a watered down, less spectacular experience
  36. IanQ.
    Nov 3, 2007
    This game is such a masterpiece of current game technology. Valve manages to beautifully combine detail, humor, intensity, and brain twisting puzzles into a single game. The ONLY reason i could not give this a 14 (out of 10) was because it was too short! Valve needs to fling out some serious downloadable content in the future. All in all, the game was fantastic, it is definetly worth This game is such a masterpiece of current game technology. Valve manages to beautifully combine detail, humor, intensity, and brain twisting puzzles into a single game. The ONLY reason i could not give this a 14 (out of 10) was because it was too short! Valve needs to fling out some serious downloadable content in the future. All in all, the game was fantastic, it is definetly worth buying (along with the other games in the O.B.) don't think about it, buy it. Expand
  37. BrandonV.
    Nov 30, 2007
    In short, a brilliant game let down by it's initial lack of difficulty and being exceptionally short. Only thing keeping this from getting a 10 from me is how incredibly short it is. The initial lack of difficulty is made up for by the challanges you can do (which can be very challenging). Overall, enjoyable, but don't expect it to keep you entertained for more than 4 hours. In short, a brilliant game let down by it's initial lack of difficulty and being exceptionally short. Only thing keeping this from getting a 10 from me is how incredibly short it is. The initial lack of difficulty is made up for by the challanges you can do (which can be very challenging). Overall, enjoyable, but don't expect it to keep you entertained for more than 4 hours. Let's hope the mapping community will sort that out for us? Expand
  38. ColbyG.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Deffinetly one of the most innovative games I've played. There is suspense, comedy, of course some violence.... they we're all managed to combine together to create a great game....Think of it this way...you could go to a movie theater pay close to $10 to see one movie or you could buy Portal which is just as long a movie but you actually take part in it.
  39. BradJ.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Mind bending play, great comedy. I want MORE!
  40. RobertC.
    Oct 14, 2007
    A sweet little vignette of a game. It's genuinely hilarious and chilling, completely innovative and compelling, it actually completely deserves a 10, as representative of everything about it:graphics, gameplay, length and story. As intriguing and exciting as the game itself are the possibilities it has opened to the rest of the gaming world. The things to come from Portal will be A sweet little vignette of a game. It's genuinely hilarious and chilling, completely innovative and compelling, it actually completely deserves a 10, as representative of everything about it:graphics, gameplay, length and story. As intriguing and exciting as the game itself are the possibilities it has opened to the rest of the gaming world. The things to come from Portal will be felt in the games of tomorrow, and for a long while after. Expand
  41. GregS.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Brilliant, engaging, unique, replayable and fun... but too short.
  42. JohnD.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Innovative, fun gameplay. Well mixed with Half-Life's outstandingly creepy atomsphere. Never boring. And a surprisingly enjoyable ending (in an age where game endings are usually a let down).
  43. JonT.
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game is a masterpiece. Yes, it's short, but you will be thinking about it for years to come. The mix of puzzle, humor, and terror (in tiny doses) is artistic and engaging. Get this game.
  44. ErickK.
    Nov 5, 2007
    I have never been so disappointed to get to the end of a game until I heard the end credit music. PERFECT! This is the best and most original, game story and voice acting I have ever encountered, and the game play is truly engaging, unique and addictive. Valve MUST RELEASE a longer Portal 2.0! The cake is a lie!
  45. FelyzaW.
    Oct 15, 2007
    I absolutely love the game. I'm in Quality Assurance for EA Sports, and play alot of sports titles at work, and do MMOs of all shapes and sizes at home, along with a plethora of other things. Out of the games of the last 15 years that truly struck me as an all-out-must play, this is the first. Innovative gameplay, simple and easy to learn controls, short story with high replay value I absolutely love the game. I'm in Quality Assurance for EA Sports, and play alot of sports titles at work, and do MMOs of all shapes and sizes at home, along with a plethora of other things. Out of the games of the last 15 years that truly struck me as an all-out-must play, this is the first. Innovative gameplay, simple and easy to learn controls, short story with high replay value (can you do things faster or more accurately). The voice acting is truly top notch, and in the end, the credits are hand down, best credits I have -ever- seen in a game. I'm credited in several, and have played hundreds. I can't wait until the sound track is released, solely for the end credits song. Expand
  46. ThaTyger
    Nov 5, 2007
    The game concept is very intresting, and also very original. However the settings are a bit wierd, and the story is pretty wierd as well. The game is short, and pretty straight forward. The big challange is to get all the challange maps on gold, but since there is no real reward most people will just ignore that part. The ingame dialogs add some good humor, and the voice acting is very The game concept is very intresting, and also very original. However the settings are a bit wierd, and the story is pretty wierd as well. The game is short, and pretty straight forward. The big challange is to get all the challange maps on gold, but since there is no real reward most people will just ignore that part. The ingame dialogs add some good humor, and the voice acting is very good. So overall a good, but short and depth lacking game. (the references to HL where a very bad idea imo) Expand
  47. JeffC.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Most original game I've played ever, perhaps. Great fun, very satisfying and challenging. Awesome little song at the end!
  48. S.P.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Very good and interesting game, but maybe too short
  49. HuxleyH.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Portal is near-flawless. It is an absolutely sparkling gem, perfectly cut. It is so good, in fact, that it may well be worth the price of Orange Box admission by itself. It's witty, funny, smart, and absolutely ingenious in every way. The sole flaw is that it's quite short - but that's genuinely difficult to fault, because the two to three hours it takes to finish are Portal is near-flawless. It is an absolutely sparkling gem, perfectly cut. It is so good, in fact, that it may well be worth the price of Orange Box admission by itself. It's witty, funny, smart, and absolutely ingenious in every way. The sole flaw is that it's quite short - but that's genuinely difficult to fault, because the two to three hours it takes to finish are absolute gaming nirvana. Expand
  50. JensJ.
    Oct 16, 2007
    This game and the concept behind it are truely awesome, I can not think of another game that surprised and entertained me so much during play, Sure it is short, very short but Valve never tried to make us believe it wouldnt be. Portal will forever be one first games I mention if I asked what my favorite games are.
  51. AdamH.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Wonderful game; fascinating puzzles, great humour, nice twist at the end. Only downside: a bit too short.
  52. Djaxn
    Oct 16, 2007
    Hands down, the finest Source Engine modification to date. With one weapon--not even a weapon, rather a device--one can unfold miles of space, step around the next corner, fall through the floor and out the ceiling, or fling oneself up to a seemingly inaccessible outcrop, all the while violating no precept Newton held dear. I must confess, it makes my mind wonder what my brain'sHands down, the finest Source Engine modification to date. With one weapon--not even a weapon, rather a device--one can unfold miles of space, step around the next corner, fall through the floor and out the ceiling, or fling oneself up to a seemingly inaccessible outcrop, all the while violating no precept Newton held dear. I must confess, it makes my mind wonder what my brain's been wasting its time with for the last two hypothetical time cycles. Bravo, Valve! You deserve to take the cake, and eat it too. Expand
  53. TasonS.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant, I have so many idea on how these could be implemented into levels for a game/mod. Looking forward to see what others would do for levels. Unfortunately not the greatest replayability in these levels, but definitely need to play through it at least once!
  54. DwainV.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant game! Forces you to think with a part of your brain you've never had to use before, makes you wonder what the Valve guys will come up with next...can't wait!
  55. Gash
    Oct 17, 2007
    This game provided me with so much fun! Its innoccent and simple. It doesn't demand much but certainly delivers
  56. TimB.
    Oct 17, 2007
    Fantastic, funny, the very definition of entertaining.
  57. BrendanM.
    Oct 17, 2007
    This game is a masterpiece. Theres plenty of ways to challenge yourself after beating the sort of short story line, but the storyline itself you will definately not forget. play through the advanced stages and time trials / other challenge levels. i can see this game definately going furthur, and if youve played episode two by now you probably noticed it will! Play the developer This game is a masterpiece. Theres plenty of ways to challenge yourself after beating the sort of short story line, but the storyline itself you will definately not forget. play through the advanced stages and time trials / other challenge levels. i can see this game definately going furthur, and if youve played episode two by now you probably noticed it will! Play the developer commentary version of the game after your first run through, it helps to understand the true genious that went into this game, and how perfect it ended up. Expand
  58. MikeH.
    Oct 17, 2007
    It was short, but had the best script writing ever. the quotes from GlaDOS were hilarious. can't wait for more and i'm curious to see how Valve will tie Half Life in w/ Portal. I wouldn't suggest buying just Portal, but instead get it w/ the Orange Box bundle offer.
  59. Paul
    Oct 17, 2007
    I love this game. (I reserve a 10 for the very best games.) Great thing is, I'm 40 and loved it, but I don't hesitate to let my 8 year old niece play it. The only "violence" is the player's own death, which is no more gruesome than PacMan's balloon shrinking death. No profanity, etc... so it's great for kids AND it's good for their minds too... developing I love this game. (I reserve a 10 for the very best games.) Great thing is, I'm 40 and loved it, but I don't hesitate to let my 8 year old niece play it. The only "violence" is the player's own death, which is no more gruesome than PacMan's balloon shrinking death. No profanity, etc... so it's great for kids AND it's good for their minds too... developing spacial awareness in an amazingly fun way. This game doesn't set out to be educational, but I believe it builds intelligence in young minds. Expand
  60. Andy
    Oct 17, 2007
    Fantastic. Haven't laughed so hard in ages, there are some very, very disturbed people who built this game. Combined with the very unique ideas, I enjoyed it tremendously.
  61. MikhailP.
    Nov 8, 2007
    Just the Best! I have never ever seen something like this! I don't like FPS at all (except some multiplayers) but this game is amazing. Completed it a few times, beated all advanced maps and want some more!
  62. GordonJ.
    Oct 18, 2007
    For me it was what made my 40ish dollar purchase of the orange box complete. Ep2 was Sw00t, but being episodic, short. So getin Portal with it made it worth the money. (not to mention hl2 and ep1 come with that as well but I already had 'em.) But what made Portal great was the humour from the computer voice as you worked you're way through the physics puzzles and what not. I For me it was what made my 40ish dollar purchase of the orange box complete. Ep2 was Sw00t, but being episodic, short. So getin Portal with it made it worth the money. (not to mention hl2 and ep1 come with that as well but I already had 'em.) But what made Portal great was the humour from the computer voice as you worked you're way through the physics puzzles and what not. I almost pissed myself laughing at quite a few parts, especially the end credits. I'd give it a 10 even if I purchased it alone. Expand
  63. Pondus2D2D
    Oct 18, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant! The comments from the "computer villan" were sometimes so hilarious that I had to stop playing just to finish laughing. The whole consept of the game is just SO different from any other game, this is a definitive MUST try. I'll admit; the first 10 minutes, I didn't understand what the heck was going on, but after 20 minutes I was very curious of what Absolutely brilliant! The comments from the "computer villan" were sometimes so hilarious that I had to stop playing just to finish laughing. The whole consept of the game is just SO different from any other game, this is a definitive MUST try. I'll admit; the first 10 minutes, I didn't understand what the heck was going on, but after 20 minutes I was very curious of what happens next, and after an hour, I was lost in the game. Expand
  64. JohnG.
    Oct 19, 2007
    This game is very uniqe and very new. Though it is very short game (2+ hours first playthrough), it is memorable, highly addictive, and there will be cake.
  65. MikeA.
    Oct 19, 2007
    An innovative and entertaining experience!
  66. MegsY.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Amazing, innovative game play with the engine we know and love. I highly recommend it.
  67. DavidP.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Short but oh, so sweet. So very fun. The game manages to train you and make you feel clever at the same time, and they do a good job of not stumping you for too long. The ending has geeky brilliance. I haven't enjoyed the ending music this much since I finished Zelda 3 (12 years ago). The ending song has been in my head all week long. Almost continuously. Buy a cake and be prepared Short but oh, so sweet. So very fun. The game manages to train you and make you feel clever at the same time, and they do a good job of not stumping you for too long. The ending has geeky brilliance. I haven't enjoyed the ending music this much since I finished Zelda 3 (12 years ago). The ending song has been in my head all week long. Almost continuously. Buy a cake and be prepared to eat it when you finish the game! You deserve it! (By the way, you may enjoy an increased field-of-view. In console, type "sv_cheats 1", then "fov 95".) Expand
  68. Aegis
    Oct 21, 2007
    Hail the Cake! Portal is the smartest game creation ever, with its witty level design and smart fun jokes. I like its humor, clean tone and the amazing concept execution. A classic!
  69. JonnyM.
    Oct 20, 2007
    This is simply the best narrated and designed game I've ever played, and I played damn many good games!
  70. DouglasH.
    Oct 20, 2007
    The computer makes me laugh and the mind bending puzzles are a delight. The advanced are just that more advanced versions of the regular ones. Fun to play all around. Can't wait for the next one.
  71. AvaryC.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Greatest game ever created on this planet, period. The one flaw was it's laength but it's still the most fun, creative, and brain-twisting thing I've ever seen. I'm hoping for a second.
  72. Allan
    Oct 20, 2007
    Highly addicting gameplay, and a truly awe inspiring physics engine. The newest concept I've seen in years.
  73. JasonR.
    Oct 22, 2007
    This game is PERFECT! It's amazingly funny, quite fun, perfect length, and tons of replayability through achievements and soon to come custom maps. The critics who give this game less than a 95 can bite me.
  74. ChristofferL.
    Oct 22, 2007
    +: The terrian is great, computers voice sounds real, smart puzzles, when the boxes travels from portal to portal like a real hole is excellent! -: Too short game, when done this game its getting bored knowing the same trick, too few bonus levels, that its requied direct x9 to make the game looks great (doesn't have direct x9) 7 points.
  75. Mikhail
    Dec 20, 2007
    A 10 is no easy score and Portal is, IMO, very close. As far as gameplay goes I can't think of anything that should be changed/added/removed. The pacing is superb and I do not believe that it is a bad thing that Portal tends to leave players wanting more game time. I have only one issue with this game: Portal had a chance to push more then just gameplay mechanics but actaully be A 10 is no easy score and Portal is, IMO, very close. As far as gameplay goes I can't think of anything that should be changed/added/removed. The pacing is superb and I do not believe that it is a bad thing that Portal tends to leave players wanting more game time. I have only one issue with this game: Portal had a chance to push more then just gameplay mechanics but actaully be interactive commentary on games. The path towards that goal branched off at the end of test #19. Precisely the moment the player survives what could be seen as the "end of the game". Expand
  76. JimR.
    Dec 2, 2007
    If only all games were this innovative, or even 1 out of 10. Redefines the boundaries in gaming and even makes you think twice about real life. Superbly enjoyable.
  77. JasonS.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Completely awesome, except too short, although I hope they make a longer one!
  78. LouisS.
    Oct 23, 2007
    Good game, puzzles are fun, the talking in the background and strory are amusing. Main problem with this game is that it's way too short, barly took an evening to finish.
  79. eatmopie
    Oct 25, 2007
    This game has restored my faith in humanity. If you are intellligent, you will love it.
  80. PeterB.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Very good, it feels like the strategy genre re-invented, crossed with an FPS! highly recommend to anyone interesting in gaming of any genre!
  81. GraemeF.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Utterly brilliant. Don't be put off by reports of being "short" - it's just right! You'll want to play it again, there are several advanced levels, and the prospect of user generated levels in the future. And anyway, the end is the best bit, so it'd be a shame if everybody didn't manage to experience it...
  82. BrennanB.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Fun fun fun, I like how you have to keep an open mind to progress in the game. It is definetly worth buying the orange box for, or worth buying it seperately.
  83. BeerdK.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Best game I've played in a long time. Creativity DOES count for something, gentlemen Developers.
  84. AntonG.
    Oct 27, 2007
    This game is novel and has good style. Game is very interesting though levels are simply and game is short. If there be next part / episode, i'd like to see more difficult puzzles and hazards so completing game be more challenging.
  85. DanH.
    Oct 28, 2007
    The mechanics and personality of this game is unlike anything youve ever expirienced before!
  86. ChristerS.
    Oct 28, 2007
    A great and innovative game. The overall story and how it was implemented was top notch! I loved the ending.
  87. JoelP.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Its simple, yet can get complicated at the same time, Classic. Innovation and a low pricetag, 10/10
  88. thev.dog
    Oct 31, 2007
    A great game; I loved GLaDOS's unwittingly funny passive-aggressive remarks, the endearing but deadly turrets, the uniqueness of the gameplay (action orientated puzzles + FPS is pure win). There are just two things that stop me giving it a 10; primarily, the lack of harder puzzles- the storyline puzzles aren't a challenge until quite late in the game, and there are only 6 A great game; I loved GLaDOS's unwittingly funny passive-aggressive remarks, the endearing but deadly turrets, the uniqueness of the gameplay (action orientated puzzles + FPS is pure win). There are just two things that stop me giving it a 10; primarily, the lack of harder puzzles- the storyline puzzles aren't a challenge until quite late in the game, and there are only 6 advanced levels- and secondly, it's just too short- just as it's getting really good, it's all over (the ending, by the way, is brilliant). Please Valve, release the SDK so we can fill in those gaps and make it the best game ever, at least until you release Portal 2. Expand
  89. MagnusP.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Excellent puzzle game. The puzzles are generally challenging enough to be a trial without becoming frustrating. The sound, voice and music are also outstanding.
  90. KevynA.
    Oct 31, 2007
    I've waited years on end for a game with the dynamics of Portal to appear - I surronded the hype of Narbacular Drop, followed it all the way to Portal and am not at all disappointed with the result; infact, I could even say that knowing what to expect, I was positively amazed! As soon as that SDK is released, I can grab it and start pumping out what I love most!
  91. PortalNinja!
    Oct 30, 2007
    Dude, this game ROCKED! The replay value of the game is just so good. You can sit there playing the same challenge over and over, and not get bored at all. Any puzzle game you've ever played, this is better. A truly awesome game you have here, and all I can say is, congratulations. *Raises glass*
  92. PhilI.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Innovative, clever, great graphics, addictive and just brilliant... What's not to love?
  93. CarrollV.
    Oct 31, 2007
    By far the most innovative, funny, fun, and short FPS experience of all time.
  94. Rados?awR.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Definetly the most innovating game I've played so far. The slogan "Now your thinking with portals" is just true. Have anyone noticed that the last attempt for 3D portals in games was made by Epic Games in UT97 engine? Those where not dynamic and unstable (like crushing entire map). In Portal they are implemented perfectly, totally seamless. Game and its engine are obviously amazing. Definetly the most innovating game I've played so far. The slogan "Now your thinking with portals" is just true. Have anyone noticed that the last attempt for 3D portals in games was made by Epic Games in UT97 engine? Those where not dynamic and unstable (like crushing entire map). In Portal they are implemented perfectly, totally seamless. Game and its engine are obviously amazing. Can't wait till they add those tolls to SourceSDK. Expand
  95. Pixi=)
    Oct 31, 2007
    This is just one of those games you have to play to believe. Portal is addictive, but the puzzles are not challenging enough to make it a 10'er. Still , the custom map function makes this game atleast a 8'er.
  96. Kevin
    Oct 30, 2007
    Wow. Brilliant game. A bit short, but well worth 20 bucks. Hilarious and original. Buy this.
  97. ChristianA.
    Oct 30, 2007
    I loved the game, and simply LOVED the computer... Thought it was a bit sad to kill it off, but well, I sure hope there's a sequal :D
  98. Nable7
    Jan 11, 2008
    Just an an amazing game, all the way through. I know everybody loves it, and I hate that I agree with them, but that's how it is sometimes. Great level design, style, feel, only thing is, not very replayable.
  99. NickS.
    Jan 11, 2008
    How can reviewers give this less than a 10/10. I grew up playing games developed for the Atari ST / Spectrum and Amiga among many other retro consoles and 28 years later, i still find myself playing emulators rather than new releases. It is very rare that a newly published game catches my full undivided attention for more than half an hour, but Portal (more of a demo than a game) was a How can reviewers give this less than a 10/10. I grew up playing games developed for the Atari ST / Spectrum and Amiga among many other retro consoles and 28 years later, i still find myself playing emulators rather than new releases. It is very rare that a newly published game catches my full undivided attention for more than half an hour, but Portal (more of a demo than a game) was a revelation and I urge everyone to buy the Orange Box just for it (it also doesn't hurt havign Half-Life Ep 1 and 2). Its true that the game has simplistic level designs and can appear repetitive but I assure you its innovation alone makes it the best game of 2007 - even if its only 2 to 3 hour game play. Its simply pure genius and it has effectively opened the door for game developers to come up with more games based on the game design. Expand
  100. NicholasM.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Completely awesome game! Great graphics and original idea. I found the humor to be exactly what I've been looking for in a game, but haven't found it till this. Very Douglas Adams like. The game was short but sweet, taking me only about 2-3 hours and leaving me wanting more. There definitely needs to be a sequel.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.