9.4

1. Aug 27, 2014
    An extremely smart, witty game that is satisfying in every possible way. The puzzles are quite challenging, but you rarely get stuck because the solutions are intuitive. Loved the puzzles, loved the sinister A.I.'s deadpan humor, and absolutely adored the end song Still Alive.
  2. Aug 17, 2014
    Valve's very own "Portal" is one of the very few games I would place in a Masterpiece section of gaming. I will be dissecting this game in several parts, read the ones you find interest in. Game-play. 8/10 Portal has some difficult puzzles and it is satisfying to feel like a puzzle-god when you figure it out. Why I give it an 8 is because many of these puzzles are more difficult to pull off than to figure out. You expect it to be simple as soon as you understand what to do but then the game says "SURPRISE" and now you need to rely on an amount of skill rather than smarts, when this happened to me I felt a bit cheated but I quickly got used to it and it became a minuscule problem.

Story (More like Environment + Atmosphere). 10/10
    What Portal does perfectly is not the story "per se" but rather the environment and complimentary atmosphere. You play as a woman called Chell and you are in Aperture Laboratories and go through various experiments overseen by a supervisor who's name isn't ever (really) told. And even though I guess Portal lacks a story it's more the experience that really grabbed me. You have this dreaded feeling of solitude and loneliness. That's all i dare to say without ruining the genuine experience of playing and seeing for yourself.

Characters. 10/10
    Portal without need for mention is a unique game so this section can be seen as tricky, because there basically is one character in the single game and it's not the protagonist but rather the supervisor overseeing your experiments, she is comedic joy (in a sadistic sense) and really helps the game in what it tries to achieve.

Replay ability and "Hour Per Buck". *Exception!*
    As the campaign is concerned, you will get 2 hours. Replaying it is for naught because of the type of storytelling it has, it's like watching a magic show after you learned how the tricks work.
    If you're up for a one-time short but amazing time then this would get a 10.
    If not then I can't say that this will be a game for you nor can I say with certainty that you'd get your money's worth.

Overall.
    Based on my experience I'd be running around the city wearing nothing but my boxers giving people eight pounds saying "Buy Portal, thank me later" but I know I can't be biased like that and that people might not appreciate this game the way I did, so if you're not the type that would sacrifice quantity for very condensed quality I say to you: "Buy the game on sale, because I still think you should try it out."
  3. Jul 30, 2014
    A lesson in effectivity in game design. Very short, but memorable, brain engaging, funny, atmospheric and in my opinion much better than Portal 2. 9/10
  4. Jul 18, 2014
    One word perfect,this game was perfection in a nutshell,if you haven't got this game go out and get it straightaway it was fantastic,supercalifragilisticexpialadoshus if you will
  5. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    You have many hours of puzzle solving fun, can also play around and ignore the robot telling you what to do for a while. The game gets pretty exciting towards the end as well. After you have played through it once or twice though, you find that there is not much more you can do and it gets super easy, so this particular game isn't replayable that much. I'd almost rate 10, but it was too short for me and replayability is a thing for me. Expand
  6. Jun 25, 2014
    Everything has already been said on that game. It's a genius idea, it's funny as hell, it's relaxing. I got it for free and bought Portal 2 at full price to thank the creators of this game. Short lifespan but really worth it !
  7. Jun 15, 2014
    This game is amazing. It's snappy and smart, And has a great concept! It's a very unique game, And I can (And have) played it over and over. Most definitely worth the $10!
  8. Jun 11, 2014
    This game gives me shivers every time I talk about it. It's so good! The mechanics in this game are amazing, and jumping in and out of portals just never gets old. Even though it's short, it clearly is a phenomenal game that will be remembered for years.
  9. Jun 10, 2014
    Uno de los juegos imprescindibles en cualquier colección. Una mecánica sencilla que lleva a niveles de emergencia y de resolución de problemas nunca vistos antes, además de ser muy divertido para experimentar locuras con las físicas.
  10. Jun 5, 2014
    It's short and sweet. One of my favorite games. It's so much more than a creative puzzle game. The story is fantastic, so don't you dare play without the sound.
  11. May 5, 2014
    Simply one of the most epic game of the past 10 years, only one defect,too short,maybe at your first play it can be hard ,but essentially the lack of longevity of the title is the only flaw, apart from that.
    this time the VALVE made ​​the point
  12. Mar 16, 2014
    Wow, this game is great. Although the game is about 2-5 hours long, the atmosphere, reality to it, makes it feel like you really are Chell. This game is so well done, and I've never felt as satisfied as the time I beat Portal.
  13. Mar 1, 2014
    Portal is for me the best puzzle game I've ever played! The atmosphere is really great and if you play it the first time, it's interesting to find out who the voice really is, what she exactly wants and how she looks like. My only issue is the short gameplay.
  14. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 6 out of 10, Length: 7 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  15. Jan 26, 2014
    Challenging and puzzling but at the same time not painstakingly boring. If I had the option to change anything about this game, I don't think I would change anything, right down from the pacing to the level design.
  16. Jan 19, 2014
    This is the only game I consider perfect. Some people say it's way too long. It is not. It's perfect in length. It is a great puzzle game. Some people say it isn't. It is an amazing game if you love puzzle games. Seriously if you liked this get Portal 2 as well. they're both amazing.
  17. Jan 15, 2014
    Ah, Portal. A game of logic and puzzles. It's all about you, the portal gun and the levels. Nothing more. But, a bad thing of the game is that is VERY short. I think Portal 2 is bigger.
  18. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic FPS puzzle game. Gameplay is different enough as the game progresses that it doesn't get boring (new puzzles & ways to deal with them are introduced). GlaDOS is quite funny in places. Maps are well written and the mind-bending physics are pretty creative. It's only real shortcoming is fairly short length. Well worth playing though.
  19. Nov 27, 2013
    The game is amazing. It is a perfect length and has the perfect gameplay. Its a fun puzzle game and a fun Portal FPS. I strongly recommend getting it.
  20. Nov 15, 2013
    I think this game might be perfect. No, seriously, this might be a perfect game. It is so well balanced, and the plot is perfectly integrated with the gameplay. I like it better than the sequel, to tell you the truth. But it may be that the multiplayer in Portal 2 is what puts that game ahead.

Anyway, I think this game is a must for any serious gamer. period.
  21. Nov 11, 2013
    Most original game I have played in the past few years. The storyline and the graphics are very interesting. Overall opinion: Okay, definitely worth buying.
  22. Nov 9, 2013
    This must be the most original FPS/puzzle game ever created. Extremely fun puzzle solving of an unusual kind. All accompanied by a compelling story and the voice of a sarcastic super computer.
  23. Nov 9, 2013
    This is a great game. The puzzles and the humor are really nice. Especially the lines spoken by Glados. I would recommend this game to anyone, or the Orange Box.
  24. Nov 9, 2013
    I love Portal! It's a great single player experience that will feel like no game you've played before. You're not shooting bad guys or trying to take down a helicopter like in a lot of other games. In Portal, you test your meddle in logic and some 3D platforming. Absolute must play for any person looking for a great single player experience.
  25. Oct 31, 2013
    Awesome game. Unique concept and they really explored its potential. Thinking with portals is fun. Challenges your intellect and coordination.

However, it may also be quite challenging for your guts (literally... especially when falling or flipping screen). So I'd also recommend following the regular breaks policy strictly when playing it.

I bet 3 cents you'll either hear GLaDOS
    voice or see "The cake is a lie" written on walls in your dreams for a while after clearing the game. Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2013
    Despite the length, it packs a good deal of every aspect to make a game great. The gameplay as a start is unique with portals and no guns used (by the main character). Being a puzzle game, it tests your mind and skill. Combine this with the sarcastic and hilarious directions of GLaDOS, and you get a solid gameplay. Yes, the puzzles may be simple but it mainly shows the basics and mechanics to the game.

At the start, you might think that this is merely a puzzle game with little to no story, but close to the end you'll find a splash of story to follow up to the entire game. Other than GLaDOS, the game gave us some of the most memorable moments and characters in gaming. Not to mention that it gave us some of the funniest memes on the internet. If you are looking for a unique puzzler experience, and can forgive the length, pick up Portal from the Steam store. To rephrase that, get The Orange Box, with Portal and two other Valve hits, Half-Life 2, its expansions and Team Fortress 2 (gives you a premium account).
  27. Oct 28, 2013
    Love it. Quirky. Fun. Challenging. And of course very different thanks to the whole portals scheme itself. Definitely one of my all-time favorites and would recommend this to anyone.
  28. Oct 19, 2013
    There are very few games out there where every single element is integral to the game. Portal is an amazing (albeit short) masterpiece of a puzzle game. Everything about this game is great, the gameplay, the visuals, the writing, the puzzles, the humour. If anything were taken away or changed it would cheapen the game and make it less than perfect.
  29. Oct 10, 2013
    Portal is a state of the art game. People who complain about it don't actually know how to play it. The concept about everything is awesome. There are some achievements really difficult to get it, but nothing impossible.
  30. Oct 5, 2013
    A puzzle game that will get your brain working. Wrapped in a first-person shooter, this game provides excellent and clever puzzles along with a great story.
  31. Sep 30, 2013
    Great game, perfectly executes everything that it attempts, its not artificial stretched out, its the perfect length, some some padded that is longer due to inane tactics. Yet some people still hate it just because other people like it, hmmmmm what are those people called, you know the ones that no one likes, oh thats right, coqhead hipsters
  32. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was short and I beat it twice in one night. However, it has replay value to achieve different things and complete different challenges. For example, you need to beat the game once to unlock an achievement to find hidden radios throughout the game. Each radio will play either morse code or a SSTV sound to receive a message (a dial-up Portal server with special information). Another challenge is to find and destroy all cameras hidden throughout the game with portals.
    It's a fun game to share and play with friends.
  33. Sep 1, 2013
    yes its only 2-3 hours long and I managed to speed run it at exactly 27 Minutes 16 Seconds but how did that guy get 13 minutes and 28 seconds but anyway all the puzzles are interesting and imaginitive GlaDos is amazing and the humor as well but the sequel did better in that category but I prefer the first one its feels more alien and different its really cheap on Steam so buy it and if you don't have a PC why are you reading this then get the ornage box or on the 360 get Portal:Still Alive Expand
  34. Aug 13, 2013
    Its a puzzle game with great story and fun jokes! Great gameplay! Simple and fun! Kinda too short though.... But you can add custom maps =-p. Try to not get spoilers cause your gameplay may be even shorter... just take your time... you will get it!
  35. Aug 10, 2013
    Really engaging game, witty lines and great antagonist. The puzzles can be pretty hard and it is required to think about it for a while. The game is great in almost all aspects, but it was a little short in my opinion, but perhaps that's just I just enjoyed it so much that I really wanted more.
  36. Jul 29, 2013
    A great game with excellent innovative idea. Some of the puzzle rooms are simply a work of a genius. One of the best puzzle games ever. If you haven't seen it, you should.
  37. Jul 23, 2013
    An amazing puzzle game it is short but the time you will have with it is amazing.the dialogue is really smart too. Glados will remain one of my favourite characters in video games
  38. Jul 21, 2013
    The game is realy thoughtful. The best puzzle game you can buy, and lots of easter eggs to discover. The story is great after all. One game that showed how Fps games doesn' t nead to be "kill everyone" Simple logical hard puzzle.The how ever the game is 9 out of 10 to me becouse the idea, is not orginal. They buyed the license. The first game that used this logic was "Narbacular Drop" Still the game is prety awesome. Expand
  39. Jul 17, 2013
    Probably the best game I have EVER played. Mix it with Portal 2 and you got the best duo of games ever. Although it is a tiny bit short, who cares, just play it again
  40. Jul 12, 2013
    An amazing game. I want them to make portal 3 so badly right now!
    I love the game so much I could hate valvve and would still play this game. I love it and always will.
  41. Jun 30, 2013
    It's a really really cool game, The Portal series 1 and 2 are my favorite Puzzle Platform games, it's really new the topic of the game, and the portal things... Why do i love it? for the simple fact that all the new things that the game brings to us can't be explained in one review of any person, I enjoyed a little bit more Portal 2 because of the Wentley thing, and the fact that Portal 2 is somehow harder then Portal 1, but also in Portal 1 the story is amazing, the comedy is good, i enjoyed the mix. My favorite thing in the game is the fact that the developers can create a game with so much options, i mean, the things that you can do with the portals are completely crazy, and i actually thing that we should worship the developers of this game, the game was really cool and i'm really proud i believed it was a good game. Expand
  42. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Portal is a perfect example of how it is possible to create great things from simple concepts. Of course you must have at your disposal great resources too, and Portal's again the case: some great graphics, a smooth gameplay, an interesting story which fits perfectly to the playtime. There are games out there that are short. Just deal with it.
  43. May 17, 2013
    One of the most original game of all time, some chambers are really clever, but most of them are easy. Unfortunately it's too short, it's barely two hours long. But overall it's magnificent game!
  44. May 7, 2013
    Well... It's been about 10 years since I last played a Valve game. The first one I ever played was Half-Life Uplink (demo to original HL1). And it was terrific. I finished it maybe 50 times. Then I got full HL1 and finished it a couple of times too. And then I never played a Valve game again.
    Until a week ago. I got Portal Bundle on Steam about a year ago for as cheap as 10$ or so. And I
    wish I'd play this earlier.. This game is perfect! Its somewhat short, but the storyline is very intriguing. At first you may find it strange or even boring but do not give up on it it is well worth your 3~4 hours of playtime.
    Being a grown up semi no-life I can honestly say that this game firmly holds a high rank in my top 10 games of all time (an I've played a ton of games in my life).

This is the type of game that you would sacrifice your weekday night for just to finish this last puzzle!
    Excelent choice worth any money!
  45. May 4, 2013
    No doubt one of the best games I have played and both this and it's sequel are quite the journey, a journey very hard to forget. Yes, the game is short but it is still worth your money. You feel accomplished at the end of doing some of these puzzle, and most of theme are in my opinion more challenging than the ones of its sequel and being able to crank up the difficulty is always a welcome challenge. You must own this game and its sequel, very great games. Expand
  46. May 3, 2013
    Portal is certainly one of the best games I've ever played. Developed by Valve, is mainly based on solving puzzles. The player takes the role of Chell, the main protagonist facing a psychotic robot named Glados puzzles, and her apparent subtle attempt to kill the player during the game. The action is set in Half-Life universe, but in a different timeline, not related to the events from the other game, more exactly in the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

At the beginning the player doesn't really have ideas about what's going on and why she's there, but is shortly revealed that she's a sort of a test subject.

Glados is the main antagonist who first apparently(at least for me) somehow helps the player though the levels, and make some Black-humorous jokes from time to time, but near game's completion, it becomes more aggressive, after the player figures out that the plan was to kill you.

The rest I won't reveal, as will spoil your experience when you play it.

As a game, I say it's revolutionary, like Half-Life 2 was with the Gravity Gun, this time we're going to think with portals.

The thing with the portal gun isn't really revolutional, certainly people imagined this kind of possibility in a game, but wasn't applied into a video game until now.

The level design isn't bad, however the levels aren't well balanced in my opinion, sometimes you get from easy to really hard from sudden, and another annoying fact is that some puzzles look really difficult, but in fact are very easy, however I think this makes a game more interesting, and gives a bit of humor.

The story honestly could've been more interesting, ,,Make your way out of the facility,, anyone?

The game play was designed for Sp, and can also draw some criticism, as it lacks of multiplayer, and a coop, which could've made the game absolutely great, but it isn't such a great mistake.

The visuals aren't shocking, as we've got used to Episode Two's one, but aren't bad at all, I think EP2's graphics really good even for this time, with the great shaders, HD models, HDR lightning, and awesome physics.

So overall it's a great game, but it could've been even better. However I find it great and again, is a must-own, it's had nice graphics, interesting story, good level design, original, and even if it's linear, the game really has a good replay value, and deserves to be played many times.
  47. Mar 22, 2013
    I came upon this game totally on accident before it blew up and boy was I surprised. To this day, still the single greatest initial gaming experience I've had. The intrigue, the suspense, endless curiosity and then shock and surprise. What a twist!
  48. Feb 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is short and sweet! There is a reason for every puzzle and no "filler levels". Great story, too! Especially when GlaDOS tries to kill you... Expand
  49. Feb 13, 2013
    The central concept of Portal--linking a world to itself through a portal--is simply brilliant. The game offers many fun, physics-based puzzles. Some dark humor completes the experience.
  50. Jan 26, 2013
    After The Great Half Life 2 episodes and the God Like TF2 i was expecting a bleh of a game with portal. I was as wrong as thinking a minute was 100 seconds when i was a kid. The Portal concept was fun and puzzling. Using the companion cube and valve nice physic engine was a joy to play through. The story was immersing and had some of the best humor ive ever heard. And the the extra downloadable maps are the icing on the ca.. i mean french fancy. Portal was the best 2 hours ive spent in my life. This game is my number 6 game of all time. Then Portal 2 was a knock off piece of **** Expand
  51. Jan 3, 2013
    A humorous first person puzzle game pitting you against an evil overlord computer system with your only "weapon" being a Portal Gun that lets you open 2 color-coded portals on certain walls & floors. A great twist on Valve's penchant for box & physics puzzles with an engaging story that will pull you through the (relatively short) campaign. If you crave more after the campaign you can download or create your own custom maps using the same tools as any other source game. An easy to pickup and play must-play for anyone. Expand
  52. Dec 22, 2012
    In fact, the only drawback of the Portal is that it can easily move in four hours. Also, this is a perfect game, also went through a worthy successor. Brand Portal begins to gain in importance.
  53. Dec 20, 2012
    A puzzle game with about 2 to 3 hours of gameplay. I am not a puzzle gamer though I enjoyed it because the puzzle challenge was doable and short enough before I start going asdjf;alsdjf;las on my keyboard. So if you are looking for a game that is different to what you normally play, pick this up when it goes on sale.
  54. Dec 13, 2012
    This game was simply fantastic in most every way: it is humorous, dark, intriguing, fun, challenging, and innovative. While it is pretty short and the graphics are not particularly good, I don't hold this against it considering how cheap it was (basically free in the Orange Box) and because it was a small-team effort with impressive results. I was glad to see this game get a big-budget sequel that could be longer with higher production values, but the original Portal remains a gem in the video game industry. Expand
  55. Dec 8, 2012
    Incredible game! The concept is great with a huge potential and it's really fun to play!
    Even after finishing it, I still enjoy to play it again.
    A must-have.
  56. Dec 6, 2012
    Sou um cara que gosta de jogos. Infelizmente, não tenho tempo pra ficar horas e horas jogando. Inclusive, por causa disso, ou não, raramente terminei um jogo.
    Ei que renasci das cinzas e comprei o Portal 2 para o Steam. Comecei a jogá-lo e, apesar de já ter escutado muito sobre o jogo e tudo o mais, nunca parei pra pensar a respeito. Então o que
    aconteceu? Não entendi nada... Pensei comigo mesmo: "Mas é um tapado mesmo. Vai começar pelo segundo jogo, dá nisso...".
    Dei um tapa na minha testa, tomei um gole de água e comprei o Porta. O um. E viciei.
    Sabe aquele tipo de jogo, que é atrativo, simples, direto, e totalmente desafiador? Pois bem. Esse é o jogo.
    Comecei a jogá-lo, me viciar, e quando vi acabou. Sim. Rápido.
    Isso, não é algo ruim. Aqui mesmo, e em tudo quanto é lugar, as pessoas reclamam que o jogo é rápido, curto e blábláblá. Sim, é rápido e curto, mas é bom.
    Os desenvolvedores plantaram uma sementinha. Fizeram com que nos viciássemos num estilo de jogo pioneiro, numa dinâmica sagaz, intuitiva e inovadora. Em uma ambientação e uma história consistente. E na criação de uma personagem, GLaDOS, totalmente carismática. Mesmo com seu humor sarcástico, e suas mentiras mal mentidas, ela nos encanta e cativa.
    Tenho sorte de ainda não ter jogado Portal 2. Assim posso degustá-lo, calmamente, ampliando assim minha experiência com os jogos.
  57. Nov 28, 2012
    In first play i think was a game is too lazy, but two years later i play in Portal and can't take words about amazing feelings from this game. Play in Portal bring me back into my childhood.
  58. Nov 28, 2012
    Very nice game! It´s interesting and innovative. It is just too short. The first levels are very easy , but it gets harder and harder with the time. Some gags , the cake and a innovative idea , that is all what makes Portal so interesting!
  59. Nov 28, 2012
    The perfect game. Among the top 3 to play before you die. The immense gratification you'll experience once you're successfully "thinking with portals" is beyond words. My review therefore stops here. Play it!
  60. Nov 24, 2012
    Extremely fun and charming. This game is a classic that must be played. Yeah, it may be short, but for a $3 game that any computer can run, you should not miss out on this
  61. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is funny, this game has a great storyline, the game looks good, overall this game is awesome. i like how this game has its own style. i love this game. i finished it like 3 times, and i still can't get enough of it! It's definitly worth the low price.
  62. Nov 16, 2012
    This game should be in the top of the 5 best games of history. It has no amazing graphics, the control *in theory* is simple and the argument isn´t very exciting.. But it´s so enjoyable to pass the different zones, using your brain all you can. I haven´t finish this game yet, but 2 hours of playing say all about it.
  63. Nov 13, 2012
    If you're reading this review, that means you're considering getting the game. Just go get it. It's short but it's fun. It's a fantastic puzzle game that requires creativity and provides a rewarding experience (the atmosphere is great- listening to glados is hilarious). Just go get it.
  64. Nov 7, 2012
    Took me 4 hours or so. Contains an interactive "developers' commentary" and additional challenges. I don't have anything new to add to the discussion about this game, I think, but you can think of it as a 3d problem solving simulator. It's almost on-rails as you progress linearly through the campaign, each stop a reflection on the problem presented. The 3d approach introduces an aspect of exploration as you try to get a grip of the elements of each puzzle. There's some sort of a story progression subtly woven into the game as you play. No cutscenes and few 'distractions' from the core gameplay. Expand
  65. Nov 5, 2012
    Portal is a puzzle game using portal physics. It's very basic, but very polished. The puzzles can get pretty challenging but satisfying, and you are rewarded further with an interesting storyline packed with witty humor. It's hard to believe that Valve just threw it together. My only discrepancy with the game is that it ends, and for that reason I give it a solid 10.
  66. Oct 26, 2012
    its a very short game but fun as hell, very original and funny. it takes a no more than 30 minutes to get into the game, but than its very easy, exept the puzzles thats on a personal level for each, for me they were mostly easy. the game felt very empty, with only 1 living characters and only gladis and here heads talking, it felt just, empty. exept the short gameplay and lack of voices and characters its a must play game, one best 100 of the past 10 years for sure. and being made by valve its easy to understand how it got such succses Expand
  67. Oct 10, 2012
    Great game! Good fun for a few hours, many people I know love this game and have played it through. This includes people normally adverse to computer gaming. The game is very short but for the price its worth it!
  68. Sep 28, 2012
    Well, I'm late on this review. But this is one of the best games of all time. I love Valve, and 99% of all of their games.
    Valve puts time into their games and aren't lazy developers. 10/10!
  69. Sep 20, 2012
    When I found out that there is such a game called Portal i decided to try a demo version. After completing 2 levels all my doubts about buying it or no went all the way outta window. Next day i went to the store and bought it. Now I have the game 100 % completed, 50 hours spent playing it on Steam and one thing I can say - it is the work of genius. In fact, a crew of geniuses - Valve. What they managed to deliver here are unique atmosphere and puzzles that can challenge both newbies and hardcore sons'O'biches. Some people say - the game is f'n short. My answer is - try time, step and portal challenges and you'll see that you were wrong. The voice acting is brilliant, as it combines humor with sci-fi touched scary monologues. The story is great too - it has this you-didn't-expect-this hilarious moment. Some can say that it's not so cool when you play Portal for the 2nd, 3rd time - you already know what will happen. I think it would be great to have a memory eraser to play it like the first time. And, by the way, Portal gave birth to characters that are among the most popular in game industry now. You know who I'm talking about, monsters._) Expand
  70. Sep 8, 2012
    it is a awesome game! sure it's not a long game that will take days to complete, but you never gets tired on it (at least not me) and It's great when you finished the story, you can play like minigames, complete the maps with times, footsteps and portals, so as I said, I never get tired on this game
  71. Aug 26, 2012
    This game won the 2007 Game of the Year Award. And I think this game really did deserve the award. With It's complex physics-based puzzles, this masterpiece of gaming will keep your mind thinking and thinking for a solution to each carefully crafted "test." Aside from all this, the game was relatively short. Which is the reason why it does not get a 10 from me. In the end, the game deserves a well earned 9 from me. Expand
  72. Aug 20, 2012
    We all must keep in mind that this game was hidden behind TF2 and HL2 in the orange box, and yet, it still managed to make a name for itself and generate an enormous fanbase. Valve, once again, delivered an excellent and original idea when coming up with the revolutionary 'portal gun.' This game wasn't necessarily meant to be stand-alone, so those people who are saying that it's too short, keep that in mind. Also remember that it's only $10 dollars at the most, and that's $10 dollars well spent! I bought it on sale and wish I would have payed more. It's a puzzle that makes you think and provides a little clever humor. So, of course, I give this a 10, because I feel that it was one of the most original ideas and revolutionary designs of it's time, and it set up for an interesting and intriguing sequel. And while most games are $50 upwards nowadays and some hang around $20 for up to 5-7 years after their release, Portal is $10 dollars and is affordable fun for those of us who have low-end PCs and don't want to spend too much money. That's just another positive towards this amazing game. Expand
  73. Aug 14, 2012
    Valve have always treated PC games to the best in gaming entertainment. Now arrives a new IP from the studio's responsible for Half-Life. Portal is a 90 minute first person puzzle game set in the remains of Aperture Science, Black Mesa's only rival in the realms of science. You play Chell, the only remaining test subject for the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, or in layman's terms the Portal gun. As you are set to complete test chambers created by GLaDOS, the corrupt computer program running Aperture. Chell must escape Aperture and destroy GLaDOS to make sure these experiments never continue. It plays like any Valve FPS and looks like Half-Life 2 but a lot more sterile (white). Portal is one of those rare gems that come around every now and again (usually from Valve) that change the way games work, they change the way games are seen and they change the way games are played. Portal is one in a million. Expand
  74. Aug 12, 2012
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time. Simple yet addicting game mechanics form unique and memorable puzzles and make a solid foundation for the subtly unfolding story line.
  75. Aug 8, 2012
    I enjoyed playing portal, it was new and different to most games out there, a puzzle game that I could actually enjoy and not just sit there with a blank look on my face. The game runs very smoothly and I did not find any glitches at all. Not the best game in the world, but it did keep me entertained.
  76. Aug 7, 2012
    Awesome game. Introduces an amazing concept, story, and all around style to the world of gaming. The only con I can think of is the fan base. All of the **** running around saying, "LOL the cake is a lie guys amiright!!!" But you cant blame the developers for that. And to the ass hats complaining it was so short? This game was made by a small team within valve. It was just padding for The Orange Box, and kind of an apology present for half life 2: episode 2 being delayed. It was never expected to explode like it did. Even thought it was only a couple hours, those hours were some of the best of my gaming life. Expand
  77. Aug 1, 2012
    Innovation at it's finest. Portal provides much humor and action, something that is very elusive from writers, designers, developers, and creators alike. It is very challenging too. Anyone who doesn't like it can't use their damn brain. It's a damn humorous puzzle action story so **** YOU!
  78. Jul 23, 2012
    If the score of a game is an indication of how much of an impression it made on you, I think most would agree Portal ranks at the top. Writing comedy is hard, and finding such memorable and hilarious comedy in a video game is incredibly rare. The fact that Portal manages to contain just that, while being highly original and thought-provoking, demonstrates just what a work of genius it is. If any game can be held up as an example of art, this is it. Valve are the masters at creating compelling and immersive environments- and the setting of Aperture can easily feel real. GLaDOS is the perfect example of how fantastic writing and acting can create a beloved character. Portal is gaming at its finest- truly a genre-defining title, and one that will leave the player both wanting and satisfied at its conclusion. Expand
  79. Jul 16, 2012
    Even though it has indeed been quite a few years now since I first ever played this game at a friend's house, followed IMMEDIATELY by me purchasing it for myself to play on MY computer, my love for the original "Portal" game has not diminished even a single bit!!! I can still so EASILY remember how unbelievably quick I was to become completely engrossed in this "first-of-its-kind" game-play. I even went so far as to try by best at brainwashing my own father into playing it. (And much to my surprise, he gave it a try after watching me play a bit on my PC, and of course, quickly came to love it every bit as much as I.) Add to that list my own younger brother, who was and is still a hardcore "console" player. Sure enough though, as soon as he found it available for purchase on the X-Box 360, he was up all night long playing it as well. In conclusion, I would very much like to also add-in the factor of this beautiful game's UNBELIEVABLE "RE-PLAY" value. I've not ever kept any official count or anything, but it I had to guess, I am quite comfortable in guessing that I've played back though the same game again, over and over, trying new and different techniques each and every time, no less that a few hundred times within the past few years. :) To some, that fact will no doubt just appear stupid, and easily a target for such words as "has no life", "still living at home with Mom", etc... It's OK though, because, to all the rest out there who ALSO fell in love with Portal years ago, YOU no-doubt "understand". :) Expand
  80. Jul 8, 2012
    this is a great game is very great igra.Prosto super.Prosto mega.Super yumor.Super golovolki and five times as much cool vasche klasss.valve rulit.mogete.
  81. Jul 3, 2012
    This game was great, though I watched walkthroughs on Youtube because I'm pretty bad at solving puzzles, but the puzzles themselves are well thought out and really intelligent. The story is good, even though there are only two characters, but it feels like one because the main character Chell doesn't talk. She grunts, but doesn't talk. Valve made epic games, and this is one of them.
  82. Jun 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quick and conceptual, Portal is one of the best physics puzzle games I've played yet. It must've been developed well because the voice-acting, amount of puzzles and the puzzles themselves is just one big clump of AWESOMENESS. The only flaw is the program it runs; hl2.exe, which I'm guessing is Half-Life 2. They forgot to make the game "itself" if that makes any sense, but it even holds a connection with Half-Life 2... sorta... Expand
  83. Jun 21, 2012
    Despite the Metacritic ratings; many of opinions I heard of Portal were mixed. Some said it was short, others complain of the linear level design and unspectacular graphics. Yes, Portal is only 2 hours long. Yes, the progression is linear. Yes, the Source engine graphics are not exactly Crysis. But ultimately, these factors actually contribute to why Portal is such a great game: it's tightly designed, well-executed and unique. Anyone who likes puzzle games or even video games in general should seek this out to see what all the fuss is about. Expand
  84. Jun 18, 2012
    though the game is incredibly short; it is still impressive. The puzzle's will keep you busy and the cruel humored GlaDoS will keep you entertained. the graphics are your typical valve graphics powered by source.
  85. Jun 13, 2012
    Portal is a puzzle game like no other, set in a world that seems to defy the odds. You will work your way through twenty something puzzles and discover the world you think you know, is nothing compared to what it really is. It's ingenious and really makes you think in order to progress. If you can think outside of the box you can pass through this game easily while learning about the world around you. Expand
  86. Jun 5, 2012
    Oh man do I love this game. It's funny, it's cute, it's challenging (sometimes frustratingly so), and just an overall good game. It takes a little while sometimes to get used to the "thinking with portals" thing, but once you do the game is amazing. My biggest complaint (and probably my only one) is the fact that it's a jumping puzzle game but I can't see my character's feet. So I have no idea where I'm jumping to. Granted, the first-person view added to the game, I just get super frustrated when I go to jump somewhere and... Oh, I jumped completely past it when I thought i was on it. Lovely. Valve has a tendency to do this, unfortunately. But other than that, this game was beautiful and unbelievably fun. Expand
  87. May 21, 2012
    An amazing and Innovative game, yeah its short but hell it has more fun then a lot of big games (CoD).
    GLaDOS is awesome and very funny, the puzzles aren't to easy but they are also not frustratingly hard.
    This is a must buy for anyone who hasn't played it yet and a could game to go back and play again.
  88. May 19, 2012
    Portal is an amazing game with astoundingly innovative gameplay. It may be short, but it makes up for that with progressive difficulty and good humour.
  89. May 15, 2012
    Awesome idea! Enjoyed it. Taking into account that you have only one weapon (in essence) - making a such addictive gameplay is truly worth of praising, Valve! Thank you! :)
  90. May 13, 2012
    Portal really surprise me by showing me the new way and new concept of gaming. Yes, the game is really short, but it is never repeats itself. I know people would say other games are longer, and stuffs, but ask yourself, you do the same thing over and over again (Lvling, farming, fighting the same kind enemies over and over, you get it.) and that is why they are longer. Great humour in the game too. I always enjoy the sarcasm in the game. Good job to the team. You guys made a game that deserves 10/10. Expand
  91. May 10, 2012
    This game is why limited budgets and resources can create games of the highest quality. It's clear that we had a motivated and passionate team who poured their very hearts and souls into this game. They didn't waste resources on useless garbage. The Tutorial IS the gameplay. The story isn't played through boring cutscenes, you interact while the story is conveyed to you by the antagonist, a hilarious AI.
    The gameplay is amazing and the physics are just stunning. I could not find a way to describe it..

This is revolutionary and simple. Hardcore gamers and Casual gamers will love this game. After this experience you will be buying all Valve games.
  92. May 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favourite games. The portal mechanics were unique and well-coded. The story was amazing. The cake became a meme for a reason. The extra levels were also really challenging and kept me playing it for a lot more time.

What I never got into me is the companion cube. I burned the sucka the moment I was instructed to and never got in any way attached to it. Was I even supposed to get attached to it? Who cares anyway.
  93. May 9, 2012
    Portal is funny, clever and interesting, with an extremely short single player. It simply doesn't beat Portal 2, but still It is amazing. When I was playing this game, It remembers the Half Life 2 atmosphere (quiet and alone). The plot is amazing, but people, why the Users Review for Portal 2 is 8.4, I still can't understand. Anyway, I give 9 points for Portal.
  94. May 7, 2012
    Eight hours of pure fun. Short and sweet. It's cheap and you'll love it. Grab it. How to describe it? It is a puzzle game. It doesn't take itself too seriously and it has an excellent sense of humour. GET IT.
  95. May 5, 2012
    I enjoy playing this game on both the pc and my PS3. It seems to run better on the pc than portal 2. Even so, I enjoy playing them both equally. What's neat about both games is finding secrets.
  96. Apr 22, 2012
    I've never been a puzzle games fun but i can say i regretted not buying it sooner, anyway you must think with portals to be able to complete it, this game is not very long but you still a nice challenge, and that mean you have to get this game and the sequel for be able to understand what's really going on down there, anyway both awesome.
  97. Apr 15, 2012
    If finished the game at least 5 times, it is short but very fun to play. Getting the achievments is also very funny. The game itself may be short, but there are many mods available like e.g. portal prelude, which steps the difficulty up, many custom maps etc etc so you get unlimited play time! The portal concept was very innovative and it's so much fun to play!
  98. Apr 9, 2012
    This was a brilliant break to the Multiplayer's and Singleplayer's that currently flood this market. If your addicted to half life, call of duty, gears of war, halo, or any other of these great games and you find yourself wanting a little more then I suggest portal. I found myself enjoying every puzzle, all challenges and the great and amusing story line. This game can amuse you whether your on console or PC, but if you are on PC you'll get the chance to experience the community made maps adding several extra hours of fun. But there is a downfall to this fun including the puzzle as if you find it hard to complete puzzles then this is not the game for you, it's puzzle after puzzle after puzzle. So do I recommend this game yes but if your not a puzzle person then I suggest trying out the console version first as you'll have a chance to return it if it does not live up to your expectations. Expand
  99. Apr 7, 2012
    In my humble opinion Portal represents the pinnacle of game design. With it's utterly unique and creative game mechanics, and intelligent level designs, Portal proves that a puzzle game can be much more enjoyable than the horde of First Person Shooters that dominate the gaming industry.
  100. Apr 1, 2012
    For me, this game is better than Portal 2, because even as a small game, he has a great story, but the game is kind of easy. Only the Advanced Chambers, in the Bonus Maps, are more difficult.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.