Portal PC

9.3

1. Jan 23, 2016
    Portal!!
    After the game's got so much critical acclaim, seems like there's not much to add, only to ask myself how didn't I play it sooner.
    I would start then with a very short list of the things that DID bother me, First, well, the length of course. Nothing new here. I do believe it simply wasn't meant to be too long in the first place but more like a side content to The Orange Box
    Portal!!

I would start then with a very short list of the things that DID bother me,
    First, well, the length of course. Nothing new here. I do believe it simply wasn't meant to be too long in the first place but more like a side content to The Orange Box back in the day, but still.
    Also, soundtrack was a little disappointing in my opinion.
    And, before completing the main game, I've seen that there are "challenges" and "advanced maps", and imagined that they would add more content to the game, but figured out later that these are merely a revisions of the original maps from the campaign.

So, just let me confess here, that Portal didn't completely live up to my expectations. (~Hiding myself from possibly thrown objects~)
    As this game is so positively accepted I did expect something more.
    Being so short and the lack of additional content in the base game didn't help much.
    It was fun but ended too soon, and the story just felt... meeeh.
    And the challenges started to feel too crazy for me as soon as they started depending on trial and error or some luck, facts which I don't like!

I did grow a lot fonder of Portal as I played through the developers commentary.
    Hearing their thoughts and the game-making process made me appreciate everything much more, somehow.
    I even liked better that "Still Alive" song which at first seemed bizarre and weird to me.

Anyway, I'm not going to fully review this game and describe all of it's good aspects, because you probably know them already, and if not (!?) then you should experience it yourself, even by trying the demo.
    Just wanted to share my little story of falling in love with the game.

Portal is without a doubt a very extraordinary puzzle game, brilliantly original, and I doubt we'll ever see any other game of the kind. Many other games tried to follow Portal's lead and so far I didn't encounter much success among these attempts.

It goes constantly on sale, and it's actually worth the full price of 10$ as well.
    If you didn't already, it's time to play!
  2. Jan 19, 2016
    Who needs a girlfriend/life/food/drink/soul/toilet/shower/sleep/bed/money/electricity when you have this perfect game? Certainly not me! The game is beautiful, runs smooth and is extremely creative. Shame games have mostly declined from here on in.
  3. Jan 14, 2016
    i give it a nine out of 10 even though portal 2 is the real success portal is much better in a game play perspective i loved the puzzles but what annoys me is how short the game is i payed 15 dollars and i finished the game in 7 hours but still i cant say too much about the narrative but i guess it good because there is cake of course but still if you like gameplay this is for you and ii give it a nine out of 10 even though portal 2 is the real success portal is much better in a game play perspective i loved the puzzles but what annoys me is how short the game is i payed 15 dollars and i finished the game in 7 hours but still i cant say too much about the narrative but i guess it good because there is cake of course but still if you like gameplay this is for you and i never faced any technical issues and the ending song is awesome . Expand
  4. Jan 3, 2016
    This and portal 2 are in my top 20 favorite games ever. I like platform and puzzles. This is both. .
  5. Dec 17, 2015
    Portal is one of the best games ever made with how simple the concept is and yet it has such great scope. The story, the characters, the humor and of course the puzzles make this a great game.
  6. Nov 28, 2015
    One of the best games ever made! The atmosphere is so mysterious and "it felt like someone was watching you all the time" in the whole game. The dark humor is perfect!
  7. Nov 17, 2015
    Hell of a fun game! A perfect example for the case when a very simple idea can work just very fine if the context is well done. The game doesn't need a specific story, not even a very varied game play, still the great humour and the well crafted puzzles make it adorable.
  8. Nov 16, 2015
    they managed to pack some sort of narrative in a 3D puzzle game with original puzzles mechanics. nearly perfect game that you wish to replay, it can't get old.
  9. Nov 12, 2015
    love this game puzzles were fun and the gameplay was unlike anything at the time and considering it was basically a free game bundled with other games to try and keep us from lynching valve over the half life thing its amazing, the dark humor was good, really if anything the only bad thing that could be said about it was its far to short but at least it wasn't padded with tons of boringlove this game puzzles were fun and the gameplay was unlike anything at the time and considering it was basically a free game bundled with other games to try and keep us from lynching valve over the half life thing its amazing, the dark humor was good, really if anything the only bad thing that could be said about it was its far to short but at least it wasn't padded with tons of boring useless crap so I don't even care about that. Expand
  10. Nov 4, 2015
    Portal is a very unique, interesting and fun game that challenges you in many different ways and is one of the best puzzle game series of all time. The only real problem with this game is its short length, but to be fair it is pretty cheap to buy, so its not that big a deal, so I would still recommend this game to anyone looking for a new, unique and fun time.
  11. Oct 27, 2015
    Portal is a contemporary version of Chaplin’s Modern Times. The main character is a woman stuck in the machine, but the contemporary machine is no longer constraining the individual through repetitive body movements in order to produce material goods. The contemporary machine plays with our emotions in order to create science. What kind of science? It is probably neuroscience. GLaDOS isPortal is a contemporary version of Chaplin’s Modern Times. The main character is a woman stuck in the machine, but the contemporary machine is no longer constraining the individual through repetitive body movements in order to produce material goods. The contemporary machine plays with our emotions in order to create science. What kind of science? It is probably neuroscience. GLaDOS is not really testing a gun that makes portals. It is testing Chell’s emotional reactions. GLaDOS is fascinated by the human mind the same fashion a taxidermist is fascinated with animals. Portal 2 even explains this obsession. A lot more could be said, but not without spoilers, so play this game if you haven’t already. Expand
  12. Oct 23, 2015
    Una obra maestra, no es un 10 por la segunda parte. Hay que jugar los dos Portal si es que te gustan los videojuegos lo más mínimo. Indispensable. Queremos el 3.
  13. Oct 5, 2015
    The only thing that is not perfect about this game is that it is not Portal 2, that being said it is still almost just as good, just a little lighter on the story.
  14. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Obviously unique and compelling puzzle gameplay for its time
    + Marries gameplay and narrative expertly from start to finish
    ? Suffers somewhat from the weight of its own greatness when played years later, particularly due to a narrative and theme that insists upon itself so heavily
  15. Sep 13, 2015
    A nice, innovative game made by Valve in 2007, and bundled in the orange box as part of a 3 game deal. Half Life 2 is a masterpiece, and TF2 was a Half Life 1 mod turned into a brand new multiplayer shooter, but Portal? No one knew what it was. The game had a unique feature of linking 2 portals to make a gateway. It's a surreal game, and it felt more like a tech demo, or teaser to theA nice, innovative game made by Valve in 2007, and bundled in the orange box as part of a 3 game deal. Half Life 2 is a masterpiece, and TF2 was a Half Life 1 mod turned into a brand new multiplayer shooter, but Portal? No one knew what it was. The game had a unique feature of linking 2 portals to make a gateway. It's a surreal game, and it felt more like a tech demo, or teaser to the second Portal to me. The game is very short. Unless if you get stuck on a puzzle or two, you could beat this game in under an hour. The puzzles are clever, but they don't get very hard. Not to mention that there are very few puzzles before you go off the path of the tests and deeper into Aperture Science. The boss fight is fun, although it isn't very hard. It's there to just reveal the main villain of the game, who speaks to you until you run into her and fight her at the end of the game. So, to repeat, not a very long game. We're talking 30 minutes if you choose to play it a second time. When you beat the game, you are treated to a passive aggressive song from the main villain of the game. In 2011, Valve released Portal 2, which is much longer, has an actual story about who you are and what you are doing, and the gameplay is expanded much much more. Not to mention how much harder it is compared to the first game. So, Portal 1, is it worth it? To be honest, 10 dollars was reasonable at the time of release, but really, I would only buy this if it were 5 dollars or less. Sure, it's fun and all, but it really just feels like an introduction to the second game, like the animated shorts that come on before pixar movies at the cinema, later to become a full fledged movie. So, Portal 2 is one of the best games ever made in my opinion, and Portal 1 is like an appetizer, a prologue or even a free sample that isn't really free. I will say though, that the game has become free for a weekend every now and then, and it even has deals where you can press purchase and have it for free to keep forever as long as you get it before the timer runs out. Really, this game is like a spoonful of the dessert we had to wait 4 years to finish. But, it's a great spoonful, and you haven't had the whole cake until you have that first spoonful before the rest of it. Or, the cake is a lie. Whichever you choose. Expand
  16. Aug 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolute classic.

It's not everyday that a game comes so close to being full of unbelievable humor, objects that become memorable part of popular culture (Companion Cube, Portal gun, The Cake is a Lie!!) and, above, have a perfect run-time that stops the game from over-doing.

The initial stages when GLaDOS guides you are just the beginning, working more like a tutorial. All this time, GLaDOS' hilarious narration drives the plot, never ever boring us (The puzzles are brilliant too). At the same time, you start wondering what the hell is going on, why am I here, where are all the people?

The part where GLaDOS tries to incinerates you not only changes the game entirely but it keeps getting better and better! I loved how in the second half GLaDOS first tries to convice Chell that she was only joking (More hilarious dialog follows which highlight how hard GLaDOS is trying to hide her true intentions but being an AI, she can't possibly do it perfectly!). Slowly she gets meaner and really rude, all the more when we strive to get the hell out of the facility!

I don't think I've ever played a game that felt so alive. Even when the dialog is one sided (Chell is silent but GLaDOS talks) you will completely immersed as it just feels so real. GLaDOS has the best voice work I've seen in video games, just hats off to her!!

Truly one of the most innovative video games ever and the final 5-6 minutes are the sweetest cherry on the cake!

WHEN YOU ARE DEAD I'LL BE STILL ALIVE!
  17. Jul 14, 2015
    This game is amazing, great graphics, great music, great humor, great gameplay, great everything, while it can get difficult at times, and it is short, this game is still a masterpiece.
  18. Jun 27, 2015
    - Good: Story, Writing, Gameplay, Concept, Puzzles, Humour
    - Mixed: ---
    - Bad: ---

Fantastic game with fresh gameplay and hard enough puzzles. Very entertaining.
  19. Jun 19, 2015
    The game is great, has a spectacular gameplay with easy puzzles, an interesting story, but the game is not very long, unfortunately, but there are a number of maps you can download and play.
  20. Jun 11, 2015
    Portal
    Charming and Challenging
    Portal is easily one of the most charming games ive played period As you make your way through the game solving increasingly difficult puzzles, your progress is being monitored by an unknown character that will effortlessly make you laugh, Playing portal just to hear the commentary is worth the journey through the game alone, but the good news is, the
    Portal
    Charming and Challenging
    Portal is easily one of the most charming games ive played period
    As you make your way through the game solving increasingly difficult puzzles, your progress is being monitored by an unknown character that will effortlessly make you laugh, Playing portal just to hear the commentary is worth the journey through the game alone, but the good news is, the game is just as good.
    Portal starts you off slow with one portal gun , you use this portal to hop gaps and move objects, youll eventually get to a point where youre given 2 portal guns which at first feels a bit easier as you feel more free, the only problem is by time this happens, you are already halfway through the game.
    You use one portal to makes an exit, and the other for that exits entrance
    The 2nd half of portal is where puzzles can get a bit tricky and no longer feel all too intuitive,
    It may just be me not used to having to use my brain all too often to play games, but I found the difficulty spike to be just a tad bit too intense.
    The complexity of the levels go too slow in the beginning and too fast at the end making the game feel kind of frustrating, I didn’t really feel clever when I got through levels, it was more guess work, I felt kind of lucky.
    While you may lose some hair over figuring out the perfect way to drop boxes from the ceiling, avoiding lasers, and getting over obstacles, youll feel great going through the gate onto the next floor.
    The feeling of guess work isn’t satisfying, but somehow portal still manages to pull you forward always wanting more., but while I say that I felt like portal gave me just enough.
    Portal will only last you about 3-5 hours, and as a puzzle game of its kind I found this length to be pretty perfect.
    The game kept pulling me forward with its charm, but I wont lie and say I wasn’t fully satisfied when this brain exercise was over.
    For what it is
    Puzzle Platformer 8.5/10
    Overall 8/10
  21. Jun 10, 2015
    Very smart approach to design: take simple idea and make such a grandiose application of it. In Portal you have one device which makes two holes - point of entry and point of exit - and you solve spacial puzzles with it. The Guidence AI's voice adds hilarity, and there is actually a plot behind the game. It's pretty short, but there are many user-made maps available for download. VeryVery smart approach to design: take simple idea and make such a grandiose application of it. In Portal you have one device which makes two holes - point of entry and point of exit - and you solve spacial puzzles with it. The Guidence AI's voice adds hilarity, and there is actually a plot behind the game. It's pretty short, but there are many user-made maps available for download. Very pleasant and innovative must-have game. Expand
  22. Apr 12, 2015
    Before this game came out, I'd never have thought that a game which sole focus of game-play would be puzzling could be an actual AAA-like quality game. Well, Valve has proved me wrong. While undeniably short, the small amount of time you do invest in this game is priceless. This is a truly unique game, one that inspires the future industry and will give rise to even greater game-playBefore this game came out, I'd never have thought that a game which sole focus of game-play would be puzzling could be an actual AAA-like quality game. Well, Valve has proved me wrong. While undeniably short, the small amount of time you do invest in this game is priceless. This is a truly unique game, one that inspires the future industry and will give rise to even greater game-play mechanisms. Aside from the game-play, the atmosphere provided by the characters and story are amazing. That clinical feeling, where everything is so white and bright like a hospital that it is suspicious of hiding its darkness and reddened of blood walls. Glados, who is hands down, one of the most memorable characters ever, acting like a mother so caring that she is suspicious of hiding her psychopathy. The humor adds to it as well and wraps up the game in a nice package that can more easily be delivered to whatever person that doesn't dislike the concept of fun. The puzzles were quite easy though, but that makes it more enjoyable for a broader audience. You can recommend this game to nearly everybody which makes it even more genius. Expand
  23. Mar 9, 2015
    Everything that you've heard about 'Portal' is true. Well, if you've heard nothing but great things about it, that is. Because this is easily one of the greatest puzzle games to ever be created. Hell, it may even be one of the greatest games created, period. It's like 'Half Life 2' but on crack! You thought crack was bad for you, didn't you? Well it turns out that crack is good whenEverything that you've heard about 'Portal' is true. Well, if you've heard nothing but great things about it, that is. Because this is easily one of the greatest puzzle games to ever be created. Hell, it may even be one of the greatest games created, period. It's like 'Half Life 2' but on crack! You thought crack was bad for you, didn't you? Well it turns out that crack is good when combined with elements of puzzle solving and first person shooters. 'Portal' may be short, but it's pretty damn cheap too. And when you take into consideration the difficulty of the added challenges after you've completed the story, it should take a decent amount of time to complete. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to see a first person 'shooter' without bullets and if you haven't picked this game up, along with the rest of the 'Orange Box', that's something that you should probably be doing right about now. Expand
  24. Feb 25, 2015
    Portal is sheer brilliance. The gameplay is amazing and innovative, it has hilarious humor, and a good plot. Literally the only big issue is how short it is.
  25. Feb 3, 2015
    A decent puzzle game mixed with a first person shooter. Only fun the first time you run through it, after which the game becomes repetitive and boring. They made the puzzle mechanics fun, and the maniacal robot talking to you is funny sometimes.
  26. Jan 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ........................cake

Pros:
    Cake
    Excellent level design
    Humorous and perfect dialogue
    Portal Mechanic is flawless
    CAKE
    Companion Cube
    CAKE!!!!!
    Still Alive
    CAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:
    The cake is a lie :(

A timeless c*ake*lassic*ake*

27. Jan 10, 2015
    It is one of my favorite games. It can be short however, it has got great graphics and sounds for 2007. It needs lot strategy and logic to finish the chambers.
  28. Dec 3, 2014
    Portal series by far is the best puzzle game franchise out there. The original Portal revolutionized gaming. The controls are easy and simple. The dialogue and story is spot on. Definitely a must play game.
  29. Nov 16, 2014
    Portal is the perfect combination between puzzle, 3D graphics and good physics simulation. Also it has a touch of dark humour given by the trainer computer called GLaDOS that will follow your training FOREVER.
  30. Nov 15, 2014
    The puzzles available in the game are great but still they are easy,but the more you get into the game, it takes a hold on you and that one thing the "ULTIMATE ANSWER " with the famous tag lines all over the wall the "Cake is a lie" and you have to get along with some easy-to-go instructions from the cruel GLaDOS !
    overall the game is fun , the part when GLaDOS actually wants to end the
    overall the game is fun , the part when GLaDOS actually wants to end the protagonist and how things go after that till the very end till that song "Still Alive"( was at the moment very creepy)

great game again by the :Valve Corporation that depicts the world how humans follow artificial intelligence

looking forward to play Portal 2
  31. Nov 6, 2014
    Although short, "Portal" is a gaming experience unlike any other. Mind bending puzzles, clean style, innovative portal mechanics and one of the best antagonist in a video game, this game will strike your heart and make you beg for more. Good news is, the sequel is even better.

For the full review, check out "BathroomGamers" on YouTube :)
  32. Oct 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game have got all - great mechanics, g. story, g. soundtrack, g. graphics and g. community. Of course, it's made by Valve. Only bad thing is short story. And the cake is not a lie. Expand
  33. Oct 4, 2014
    Just buy it, full stop.

Great scenarios, great plot, great graphics, perfect bgm.
    Also, after you clear game story-line (which I have to say it's actually really short, like 3 hours) you have access to challenges and bonus maps to test yourself and it's awesome.

I think this is my first 10/10, rarely fully enjoyed myself like with this one.
  34. Oct 3, 2014
    Portal is one of those games you should start and finish in one sitting, so you can experience it all without interruption. It's a short game for sure, but for a puzzle game like this, a shorter length somehow feels appropriate so that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

The puzzles were fairly standard during the earlier levels, and it wasn't until later where more complex thinking was required. But for me, it's not the puzzles that make Portal good, but rather the whole atmosphere and setting of the game. I found myself not really looking forward to the puzzles as I was looking forward to the next piece of voice acting that would showcase Portal's brilliant dark humour. But dig a little deeper and you notice that behind the humorous facade, is a rather disturbing and sad story. Finding the Ratman dens adds a layer of suspense and the ambient soundtrack emphasises the sense of loneliness and isolation. None of this is explicitly told either, rather you're guided to make these conclusions by more subtle hints.

I'm also impressed that the game successfully made me feel sorry for my Companion Cube, despite it being an inanimate object. Love the credits song too.

Overall rating - 8.6/10
  35. Oct 2, 2014
    Portal as a start was just an experiment solely for the physics heavy portal mechanic that a small team in Valve got to work on, this meant that they didn't have a big budget and had to cut corners, which lead to what made the game so good. They had to cut all the unnecessary fat from it leaving us a short game where everything that was in it needed to be there making a short but great experience.
  36. Sep 30, 2014
    One of the two only games I consider to be 'perfect'. This game is absolutely stunning. I cannot muster up the words to describe this masterpiece of game design.
  37. Sep 28, 2014
    Amazing story with a great puzzle system. Portal features test chambers, with a very dark secret. You play as Chell, a test subject, with a grudge against the evil mastermind of the facility, GLaDOS.
  38. k_9
    Sep 24, 2014
    Excellent game. Recommendable for gamers of all ages. Hilarious and full of fun. The only thing that I disliked is that it was too short! I also loved the ending song "Still Alive". 10/10 blindfold ;)
  39. Sep 23, 2014
    Ok,can someone tell me something- Is the cake a lie?
    Anyway, it's still one of the best games,to date. Funny humor,fun gameplay,amazing song at the end of the game...

PORTAL 3 COMFIRMED!!!1
  40. Sep 17, 2014
    Last Played: May 2014

PROS: + GLADOS is actually really funny + Looks good, even after 6 years CONS: - Really short and really easy - Neither revolutionary nor evolutionary REVIEW: If we are being honest, Portal is not a puzzle game, despite many claims to the contrary. It is a "puzzle-ish" game for people who like shooters. I liked that it was difficult to die, since it made it
    Last Played: May 2014

PROS: + GLADOS is actually really funny + Looks good, even after 6 years

CONS: - Really short and really easy - Neither revolutionary nor evolutionary

REVIEW: If we are being honest, Portal is not a puzzle game, despite many claims to the contrary. It is a "puzzle-ish" game for people who like shooters. I liked that it was difficult to die, since it made it easier to focus on finding solutions to the "puzzles", but even with easy deaths the hard part about this game isn't figuring out what to do, it is doing it with somewhat fiddly controls (played using an XBOX 360 controller). Still, if the game disappoints on puzzle satisfaction, it really delivers on dry humor. Your handler, GLADOS is very funny and when she sings the credits song you can't help but grin. The graphics are still shiny (some texture mapping looks bad, but doesn't detract too badly) even after 6 years, which is no small feat as games start to age. As others have said, the level of difficulty will probably see you finishing the base game in less than 3 hours, even if you get stuck-a disadvantage since it significantly boosts your $ cost per hour of entertainment. This also hurts a decision to buy because Portal introduced no really new elements to physics puzzlers nor did it do them especially better, it seems to owe its current popularity to previously high reviews (much like Angry Birds).

Still, one of the best measures of a game is whether you'll remember it after you're done, and I have to say I will remember Portal. Just don't spend more than $5 on it.

POST EDIT: I never expected to get a response to a review, but it seems some people don't agree that Portal may have been somewhat unoriginal in using a FPP on a puzzle game. Here's the thing: "Real Myst" (which implemented the developers original intention to allow a player to walk freely about the puzzle environments) was released in 2000 (i.e. much earlier than "Portal"), so you can't claim freedom of movement as revolutionary in a puzzle game (even if you did, there are zillions of node-based games I still consider to have done FPP puzzle first). Does slapping a "puzzle-gun" in your hands justify a "revolutionary" epithet? I think not.
  41. Sep 5, 2014
    From the silly humor to the great puzzles, i recommend this game to anyone who has a computer. this is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out so far. The game is good at teaching you all of the mechanics to the game through the first few levels. The game is definitely short but the short amount of time you get with this game is enjoyable. The game has a large replay value andFrom the silly humor to the great puzzles, i recommend this game to anyone who has a computer. this is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out so far. The game is good at teaching you all of the mechanics to the game through the first few levels. The game is definitely short but the short amount of time you get with this game is enjoyable. The game has a large replay value and the light amount of story and lore is fairly interesting. Expand
  42. Sep 4, 2014
    10/10 Just play it. you won't regret it. 150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150
  43. Aug 27, 2014
    An extremely smart, witty game that is satisfying in every possible way. The puzzles are quite challenging, but you rarely get stuck because the solutions are intuitive. Loved the puzzles, loved the sinister A.I.'s deadpan humor, and absolutely adored the end song Still Alive.
  44. Aug 25, 2014
    Portal is a great game, that can frustrate you sometimes, and it is short. Once you trained, the game ends. I must recommend this to anybody. Without the frustration and the length, portal is a Perfect game.
  45. Jul 30, 2014
    A lesson in effectivity in game design. Very short, but memorable, brain engaging, funny, atmospheric and in my opinion much better than Portal 2. 9/10
  46. Jul 18, 2014
    One word perfect,this game was perfection in a nutshell,if you haven't got this game go out and get it straightaway it was fantastic,supercalifragilisticexpialadoshus if you will
  47. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    You have many hours of puzzle solving fun, can also play around and ignore the robot telling you what to do for a while. The game gets pretty exciting towards the end as well. After you have played through it once or twice though, you find that there is not much more you can do and it gets super easy, so this particular game isn't replayable that much. I'd almost rate 10, but it was tooYou have many hours of puzzle solving fun, can also play around and ignore the robot telling you what to do for a while. The game gets pretty exciting towards the end as well. After you have played through it once or twice though, you find that there is not much more you can do and it gets super easy, so this particular game isn't replayable that much. I'd almost rate 10, but it was too short for me and replayability is a thing for me. Expand
  48. Jun 25, 2014
    Everything has already been said on that game. It's a genius idea, it's funny as hell, it's relaxing. I got it for free and bought Portal 2 at full price to thank the creators of this game. Short lifespan but really worth it !
  49. Jun 15, 2014
    This game is amazing. It's snappy and smart, And has a great concept! It's a very unique game, And I can (And have) played it over and over. Most definitely worth the $10!
  50. Jun 11, 2014
    This game gives me shivers every time I talk about it. It's so good! The mechanics in this game are amazing, and jumping in and out of portals just never gets old. Even though it's short, it clearly is a phenomenal game that will be remembered for years.
  51. Jun 10, 2014
    Uno de los juegos imprescindibles en cualquier colección. Una mecánica sencilla que lleva a niveles de emergencia y de resolución de problemas nunca vistos antes, además de ser muy divertido para experimentar locuras con las físicas.
  52. Jun 5, 2014
    It's short and sweet. One of my favorite games. It's so much more than a creative puzzle game. The story is fantastic, so don't you dare play without the sound.
  53. May 5, 2014
    Simply one of the most epic game of the past 10 years, only one defect,too short,maybe at your first play it can be hard ,but essentially the lack of longevity of the title is the only flaw, apart from that.
    this time the VALVE made ​​the point
  54. Mar 16, 2014
    Wow, this game is great. Although the game is about 2-5 hours long, the atmosphere, reality to it, makes it feel like you really are Chell. This game is so well done, and I've never felt as satisfied as the time I beat Portal.
  55. Mar 1, 2014
    Portal is for me the best puzzle game I've ever played! The atmosphere is really great and if you play it the first time, it's interesting to find out who the voice really is, what she exactly wants and how she looks like. My only issue is the short gameplay.
  56. Feb 21, 2014
    Had a blast playing Portal. I would have scored it a 9-10 if I felt the urge to replay the game. Extremely fun on the first time through the campaign though.
  57. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 6 out of 10, Length: 7 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  58. Jan 26, 2014
    Challenging and puzzling but at the same time not painstakingly boring. If I had the option to change anything about this game, I don't think I would change anything, right down from the pacing to the level design.
  59. Jan 19, 2014
    This is the only game I consider perfect. Some people say it's way too long. It is not. It's perfect in length. It is a great puzzle game. Some people say it isn't. It is an amazing game if you love puzzle games. Seriously if you liked this get Portal 2 as well. they're both amazing.
  60. Jan 15, 2014
    Ah, Portal. A game of logic and puzzles. It's all about you, the portal gun and the levels. Nothing more. But, a bad thing of the game is that is VERY short. I think Portal 2 is bigger.
  61. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic FPS puzzle game. Gameplay is different enough as the game progresses that it doesn't get boring (new puzzles & ways to deal with them are introduced). GlaDOS is quite funny in places. Maps are well written and the mind-bending physics are pretty creative. It's only real shortcoming is fairly short length. Well worth playing though.
  62. Nov 27, 2013
    The game is amazing. It is a perfect length and has the perfect gameplay. Its a fun puzzle game and a fun Portal FPS. I strongly recommend getting it.
  63. Nov 15, 2013
    I think this game might be perfect. No, seriously, this might be a perfect game. It is so well balanced, and the plot is perfectly integrated with the gameplay. I like it better than the sequel, to tell you the truth. But it may be that the multiplayer in Portal 2 is what puts that game ahead.

Anyway, I think this game is a must for any serious gamer. period.
  64. Nov 11, 2013
    Most original game I have played in the past few years. The storyline and the graphics are very interesting. Overall opinion: Okay, definitely worth buying.
  65. Nov 9, 2013
    This must be the most original FPS/puzzle game ever created. Extremely fun puzzle solving of an unusual kind. All accompanied by a compelling story and the voice of a sarcastic super computer.
  66. Nov 9, 2013
    This is a great game. The puzzles and the humor are really nice. Especially the lines spoken by Glados. I would recommend this game to anyone, or the Orange Box.
  67. Nov 9, 2013
    I love Portal! It's a great single player experience that will feel like no game you've played before. You're not shooting bad guys or trying to take down a helicopter like in a lot of other games. In Portal, you test your meddle in logic and some 3D platforming. Absolute must play for any person looking for a great single player experience.
  68. Oct 31, 2013
    Awesome game. Unique concept and they really explored its potential. Thinking with portals is fun. Challenges your intellect and coordination.

However, it may also be quite challenging for your guts (literally... especially when falling or flipping screen). So I'd also recommend following the regular breaks policy strictly when playing it. I bet 3 cents you'll either hear GLaDOS

I bet 3 cents you'll either hear GLaDOS voice or see "The cake is a lie" written on walls in your dreams for a while after clearing the game.
  69. Oct 29, 2013
    Despite the length, it packs a good deal of every aspect to make a game great. The gameplay as a start is unique with portals and no guns used (by the main character). Being a puzzle game, it tests your mind and skill. Combine this with the sarcastic and hilarious directions of GLaDOS, and you get a solid gameplay. Yes, the puzzles may be simple but it mainly shows the basics and mechanicsDespite the length, it packs a good deal of every aspect to make a game great. The gameplay as a start is unique with portals and no guns used (by the main character). Being a puzzle game, it tests your mind and skill. Combine this with the sarcastic and hilarious directions of GLaDOS, and you get a solid gameplay. Yes, the puzzles may be simple but it mainly shows the basics and mechanics to the game.

At the start, you might think that this is merely a puzzle game with little to no story, but close to the end you'll find a splash of story to follow up to the entire game. Other than GLaDOS, the game gave us some of the most memorable moments and characters in gaming. Not to mention that it gave us some of the funniest memes on the internet. If you are looking for a unique puzzler experience, and can forgive the length, pick up Portal from the Steam store. To rephrase that, get The Orange Box, with Portal and two other Valve hits, Half-Life 2, its expansions and Team Fortress 2 (gives you a premium account).
  70. Oct 28, 2013
    Love it. Quirky. Fun. Challenging. And of course very different thanks to the whole portals scheme itself. Definitely one of my all-time favorites and would recommend this to anyone.
  71. Oct 19, 2013
    There are very few games out there where every single element is integral to the game. Portal is an amazing (albeit short) masterpiece of a puzzle game. Everything about this game is great, the gameplay, the visuals, the writing, the puzzles, the humour. If anything were taken away or changed it would cheapen the game and make it less than perfect.
  72. Oct 15, 2013
    Short, but fun. It's really only a 2 hour game, but what the hell do you expect from a game stapled on to a bundle with larger games? It's a tad bit over priced if you consider how long the game is, but is definitely a great piece of Valve history. After all, it made one of the best games in our generation, Portal 2! Again, it's really the nostalgia and ingenious topic and concept thatShort, but fun. It's really only a 2 hour game, but what the hell do you expect from a game stapled on to a bundle with larger games? It's a tad bit over priced if you consider how long the game is, but is definitely a great piece of Valve history. After all, it made one of the best games in our generation, Portal 2! Again, it's really the nostalgia and ingenious topic and concept that saves this game from my iron foot of mixed reviews, as this game is short and fairly easy do not expect to play this game for longer than say, 12 hours, even with the challenge missions, but do expect to have a blast portaling while playing it! Once you finish it, definitely buy the sequel, with a much larger storyline as well as more complex and less easy challenges. Expand
  73. Oct 10, 2013
    Portal is a state of the art game. People who complain about it don't actually know how to play it. The concept about everything is awesome. There are some achievements really difficult to get it, but nothing impossible.
  74. Oct 5, 2013
    A puzzle game that will get your brain working. Wrapped in a first-person shooter, this game provides excellent and clever puzzles along with a great story.
  75. Oct 3, 2013
    The first game of the outstanding puzzle series. It contains many diverse puzzles that will boggle and trick your mind. You really need to think outside the portals.
  76. Oct 1, 2013
    Portal is such an innovative and fun game. When this game came with The Orange Box, I wasn't sure what exactly I was getting into. From start to finish, you will have fun with the test chambers created by Valve. The only negative of this game is that this game is VERY short.
  77. Sep 30, 2013
    Great game, perfectly executes everything that it attempts, its not artificial stretched out, its the perfect length, some some padded that is longer due to inane tactics. Yet some people still hate it just because other people like it, hmmmmm what are those people called, you know the ones that no one likes, oh thats right, coqhead hipsters
  78. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was short and I beat it twice in one night. However, it has replay value to achieve different things and complete different challenges. For example, you need to beat the game once to unlock an achievement to find hidden radios throughout the game. Each radio will play either morse code or a SSTV sound to receive a message (a dial-up Portal server with special information). Another challenge is to find and destroy all cameras hidden throughout the game with portals.
    It's a fun game to share and play with friends.
  79. Sep 1, 2013
    yes its only 2-3 hours long and I managed to speed run it at exactly 27 Minutes 16 Seconds but how did that guy get 13 minutes and 28 seconds but anyway all the puzzles are interesting and imaginitive GlaDos is amazing and the humor as well but the sequel did better in that category but I prefer the first one its feels more alien and different its really cheap on Steam so buy it and if youyes its only 2-3 hours long and I managed to speed run it at exactly 27 Minutes 16 Seconds but how did that guy get 13 minutes and 28 seconds but anyway all the puzzles are interesting and imaginitive GlaDos is amazing and the humor as well but the sequel did better in that category but I prefer the first one its feels more alien and different its really cheap on Steam so buy it and if you don't have a PC why are you reading this then get the ornage box or on the 360 get Portal:Still Alive Expand
  80. Aug 13, 2013
    Its a puzzle game with great story and fun jokes! Great gameplay! Simple and fun! Kinda too short though.... But you can add custom maps =-p. Try to not get spoilers cause your gameplay may be even shorter... just take your time... you will get it!
  81. Aug 10, 2013
    Really engaging game, witty lines and great antagonist. The puzzles can be pretty hard and it is required to think about it for a while. The game is great in almost all aspects, but it was a little short in my opinion, but perhaps that's just I just enjoyed it so much that I really wanted more.
  82. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is really short but....this game is really good. Portal is so unique. The gamplay is awesome. Its one of the most unique game i've ever played.
  83. Jul 29, 2013
    A great game with excellent innovative idea. Some of the puzzle rooms are simply a work of a genius. One of the best puzzle games ever. If you haven't seen it, you should.
  84. Jul 25, 2013
    Portal is a revolutionary game, which brings innovative and new gameplay features. You have to solve puzzles with your portal gun, which is a weapon, that shoot two different portals. It has a good learning curve, but the game is a bit short, which is a sad, because I want to play more! But, there is now Portal 2.
  85. Jul 23, 2013
    An amazing puzzle game it is short but the time you will have with it is amazing.the dialogue is really smart too. Glados will remain one of my favourite characters in video games
  86. Jul 21, 2013
    The game is realy thoughtful. The best puzzle game you can buy, and lots of easter eggs to discover. The story is great after all. One game that showed how Fps games doesn' t nead to be "kill everyone" Simple logical hard puzzle.The how ever the game is 9 out of 10 to me becouse the idea, is not orginal. They buyed the license. The first game that used this logic was "Narbacular Drop"The game is realy thoughtful. The best puzzle game you can buy, and lots of easter eggs to discover. The story is great after all. One game that showed how Fps games doesn' t nead to be "kill everyone" Simple logical hard puzzle.The how ever the game is 9 out of 10 to me becouse the idea, is not orginal. They buyed the license. The first game that used this logic was "Narbacular Drop" Still the game is prety awesome. Expand
  87. Jul 20, 2013
    A genuinely unique puzzle game that’s definitely worth playing if you haven’t already. The gameplay is fairly simple once you get used to the concept, but there are a few tricky parts towards the end. I especially enjoyed the last level. It caught me completely off guard and was easily my favorite part of the entire game.
  88. Jul 17, 2013
    Probably the best game I have EVER played. Mix it with Portal 2 and you got the best duo of games ever. Although it is a tiny bit short, who cares, just play it again
  89. Jul 12, 2013
    An amazing game. I want them to make portal 3 so badly right now!
    I love the game so much I could hate valvve and would still play this game. I love it and always will.
  90. Jul 3, 2013
    I have portal with the compilation of best Valve's games "The Orange Box".
    I do one of the best game ever made for valve's fanboy (behind half life 2, this is obvious for them)
    And I see the two parts of Portal. The adventure (the first part) introduce the gameplay, with the portal gun and the robot-gun, with a boss at the end (excellent this idea to manipulate the gravity). But I
    I have portal with the compilation of best Valve's games "The Orange Box".

And I see the two parts of Portal.

But I tell the true In the 19 rooms of the adventure, the 12-13 first rooms are tutorial for show the gameplay.
    You can have a bit of challenge at the end but that's not very hard. And this is all.
    I finish the adventure in 4 hours (but I don't scamp). The gamers in the web say "between 3 and 5 hours".
    But this is pleasant to do this adventure, for the pleasure of the discovery. And you will smile with the answer of the computer GladOS (he is the promoter of the "portal gun test").

The second part is the advanced test room. I don't finish this advanced test at the time when I wrote this. They are very hard, it's the 6 last room (without room 19 but I don't want spoil the scenario), and you must do this rooms....with hard constraints (robot-gun in cage, the helper cube become a ball, metal ceiling....). And you will see, you will suffer....
    And you wants more challenges You can do this 6 advanced room, normally, no contraints (like the adventure). But with limitations (the least time or the least number of steps or the least of portals). Therefore 18 making head (because you have a short error margin, you will cry with the difficulty for succeed ALL challenges).

And you have portal, 19 rooms only but the biggest playtime is to try the advanced rooms, There aren't unreleased if you did adventure but you will see, the challenge.

PS Sorry for my english, I'm french

PS 2 I don't consider the mods for my review because this is the editor's job to finish the game, not to the community (but you will find a lot of new maps for extend the portal experience)
  91. Jun 30, 2013
    It's a really really cool game, The Portal series 1 and 2 are my favorite Puzzle Platform games, it's really new the topic of the game, and the portal things... Why do i love it? for the simple fact that all the new things that the game brings to us can't be explained in one review of any person, I enjoyed a little bit more Portal 2 because of the Wentley thing, and the fact that PortalIt's a really really cool game, The Portal series 1 and 2 are my favorite Puzzle Platform games, it's really new the topic of the game, and the portal things... Why do i love it? for the simple fact that all the new things that the game brings to us can't be explained in one review of any person, I enjoyed a little bit more Portal 2 because of the Wentley thing, and the fact that Portal 2 is somehow harder then Portal 1, but also in Portal 1 the story is amazing, the comedy is good, i enjoyed the mix. My favorite thing in the game is the fact that the developers can create a game with so much options, i mean, the things that you can do with the portals are completely crazy, and i actually thing that we should worship the developers of this game, the game was really cool and i'm really proud i believed it was a good game. Expand
  92. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Portal is a perfect example of how it is possible to create great things from simple concepts. Of course you must have at your disposal great resources too, and Portal's again the case: some great graphics, a smooth gameplay, an interesting story which fits perfectly to the playtime. There are games out there that are short. Just deal with it.
  93. sft
    May 22, 2013
    No cakewalk this one

No cakewalk this one

This is one clever game. The concept is simple but brilliant: you’re trapped in the labs of Aperture Science and you have to get out. To assist you you’re given a portal gun. The gun opens doorways in almost any surface. Once you have full control of the gun you can create blue and amber portals. Step into the blue one and you emerge from the amber one, step into the amber one and you emerge from the blue one. By positioning the portals in certain ways you can step, jump, or fall huge distances. You can also use them to redirect lasers and bullets, which you must do in order to stay alive. All through your efforts to escape you’re teased and goaded by GLaDoS, the AI that runs the lab. As with all Valve games the writing is excellent, with GLaDoS delivering some perfectly-pitched lines (and a cute little song at the end). Each challenge is more difficult than the last but none is so frustrating as to annoy, and all are satisfying when solved. My only criticism is that the maps lack variety as you travel from one austere lab to another, or from one utility area to another (this appears to have been addressed in Portal 2, which offers a wider range of environments). All-in-all this is one of the most imaginative games I’ve ever encountered. Check out the Orange Box though, because this offers the excellent Half-Life 2 games and Portal as a bundle and is great value.
  94. May 17, 2013
    One of the most original game of all time, some chambers are really clever, but most of them are easy. Unfortunately it's too short, it's barely two hours long. But overall it's magnificent game!
  95. May 7, 2013
    Well... It's been about 10 years since I last played a Valve game. The first one I ever played was Half-Life Uplink (demo to original HL1). And it was terrific. I finished it maybe 50 times. Then I got full HL1 and finished it a couple of times too. And then I never played a Valve game again.
    Until a week ago. I got Portal Bundle on Steam about a year ago for as cheap as 10$ or so. And I wish I'd play this earlier.. This game is perfect! Its somewhat short, but the storyline is very intriguing. At first you may find it strange or even boring but do not give up on it it is well worth your 3~4 hours of playtime.
    Being a grown up semi no-life I can honestly say that this game firmly holds a high rank in my top 10 games of all time (an I've played a ton of games in my life).

This is the type of game that you would sacrifice your weekday night for just to finish this last puzzle!
    Excelent choice worth any money!
  96. May 4, 2013
    No doubt one of the best games I have played and both this and it's sequel are quite the journey, a journey very hard to forget. Yes, the game is short but it is still worth your money. You feel accomplished at the end of doing some of these puzzle, and most of theme are in my opinion more challenging than the ones of its sequel and being able to crank up the difficulty is always a welcomeNo doubt one of the best games I have played and both this and it's sequel are quite the journey, a journey very hard to forget. Yes, the game is short but it is still worth your money. You feel accomplished at the end of doing some of these puzzle, and most of theme are in my opinion more challenging than the ones of its sequel and being able to crank up the difficulty is always a welcome challenge. You must own this game and its sequel, very great games. Expand
  97. May 3, 2013
    Portal is certainly one of the best games I've ever played.

Developed by Valve, is mainly based on solving puzzles. The player takes the role of Chell, the main protagonist facing a psychotic robot named Glados puzzles, and her apparent subtle attempt to kill the player during the game. The action is set in Half-Life universe, but in a different timeline, not related to the events
    Portal is certainly one of the best games I've ever played.

Developed by Valve, is mainly based on solving puzzles.

The action is set in Half-Life universe, but in a different timeline, not related to the events from the other game, more exactly in the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

At the beginning the player doesn't really have ideas about what's going on and why she's there, but is shortly revealed that she's a sort of a test subject.

Glados is the main antagonist who first apparently(at least for me) somehow helps the player though the levels, and make some Black-humorous jokes from time to time, but near game's completion, it becomes more aggressive, after the player figures out that the plan was to kill you.

The rest I won't reveal, as will spoil your experience when you play it.

As a game, I say it's revolutionary, like Half-Life 2 was with the Gravity Gun, this time we're going to think with portals.

The thing with the portal gun isn't really revolutional, certainly people imagined this kind of possibility in a game, but wasn't applied into a video game until now.

The level design isn't bad, however the levels aren't well balanced in my opinion, sometimes you get from easy to really hard from sudden, and another annoying fact is that some puzzles look really difficult, but in fact are very easy, however I think this makes a game more interesting, and gives a bit of humor.

The story honestly could've been more interesting, ,,Make your way out of the facility,, anyone?

The game play was designed for Sp, and can also draw some criticism, as it lacks of multiplayer, and a coop, which could've made the game absolutely great, but it isn't such a great mistake.

The visuals aren't shocking, as we've got used to Episode Two's one, but aren't bad at all, I think EP2's graphics really good even for this time, with the great shaders, HD models, HDR lightning, and awesome physics.

So overall it's a great game, but it could've been even better. However I find it great and again, is a must-own, it's had nice graphics, interesting story, good level design, original, and even if it's linear, the game really has a good replay value, and deserves to be played many times.
  98. Mar 28, 2013
    Portal, a game by Valve, is a part of the “Half Life” series, Portal was originally released within the Orange Box a collection of 5 games “Half Life 2”, “Half Life 2: Episode 1”, “Half Life 2: Episode 2”, “Team Fortress 2” and of course Portal.

In Portal you play as “Chell” a test subject at Aperture Science, a scientific research facility. At the beginning of the game you awaken to

At the beginning of the game you awaken to hear the AI “GLaDOS” welcome you to the facility and inform you that you will be used to test a new device that Aperture Science has created, the “Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device” which allows the user to create portals from one place to another.
    Over the course of the game you will see Chell overcome many challenging puzzles in “Test Chambers” using the portal device while GLaDOS gives a few words of advice and some lines of dialog to help enhance the experience.

What makes this game enjoyable though is the game play which at the time of Portals original release was quite a new concept, the ability to go from one part of a level to another using portals made by the user is quite an enjoyable experience especially with some of the tricks you can pull off to overcome a challenging part of a level.
    The story on the other hand which although isn’t dull or anything, does seem a bit lacking in substance when compared to the rest of the Half Life series (this is hardly surprising though as Half Life as a whole has spread its self over 4 main games so far and there may be future Half Life games).
    Even though the story might not be the most in-depth story in a game it still works rather well, as the only character that ever talks is GlaDOS (an artificial intelligence and rather suspiciously the only other character), The dialog from GLaDOS is both helpful and at many times humorous which helps develop the story rather nicely, nearer the end of the game at time it is more up to the player to interpret the look of the environment to help further the story.

But at the end of the day Portal is a puzzle game and wasn’t made to have an in-depth story that would grip the user, it was made to be a fun little game with challenges for the play to overcome that could be completed within a couple of hours and Portal does the and more, some people say a good game can be replayed multiple times and I assure you Portal can be played over and over again as the puzzles are very enjoyable and the story still keeps all it’s nice quirks through multiple replays.

I would recommend Portal to all fans of the Half Life series and any lovers of puzzle games.
    Portal is suitable for all ages from 12 and up.
    It is a great game and a great way to kill time, a must have for any decent games collection.

I would give Portal 8/10 although more could be added to it, it is still a lovely game all round.
  99. Mar 22, 2013
    I came upon this game totally on accident before it blew up and boy was I surprised. To this day, still the single greatest initial gaming experience I've had. The intrigue, the suspense, endless curiosity and then shock and surprise. What a twist!
  100. Mar 9, 2013
    When i first heard about Portal i was a bit sceptical. Could a game where you just place portals really be interesting or challenging? Yes it could. The game is lots of fun and even though the puzzles are't that hard they can still confuse you a bit every now and then. The game was pretty short though and there didn't really happen anything except solving tests in the first half of theWhen i first heard about Portal i was a bit sceptical. Could a game where you just place portals really be interesting or challenging? Yes it could. The game is lots of fun and even though the puzzles are't that hard they can still confuse you a bit every now and then. The game was pretty short though and there didn't really happen anything except solving tests in the first half of the game. Nevertheless a very nice game, i would recommend it to those that doesn't already have it. Expand

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.