Portal PC

9.3

1. Nov 16, 2011
    45 minutes on second play though. Yeah- short. But this game is original. Innovative. A concept which works quite well. Haters gonna hate, but it's not even meant to be a full game. The initial concept was just so original and entertaining. I like to think of it as a "Mirror's Edge but with the skill element taken out". It's kind of a strategic first-person platformer. As a full game I45 minutes on second play though. Yeah- short. But this game is original. Innovative. A concept which works quite well. Haters gonna hate, but it's not even meant to be a full game. The initial concept was just so original and entertaining. I like to think of it as a "Mirror's Edge but with the skill element taken out". It's kind of a strategic first-person platformer. As a full game I agree it's way too short and the entire game feels like a tutorial. But this was a component of the Orange Box and even so it's not priced or promoted as a full game. It's just a unique arcade game. The real play time, of course- comes from the challenge maps and modes, with medals awarded for least time, least portals and least steps. The only issue here is that least steps is practically glitching. It really doesn't work well at all. Least time requires dexterity while least portals requires strategy, so there's something for everyone here. Overall it's a great idea and this is reflected by the positive user and critic reviews. Expand
  2. Jun 11, 2015
    Portal
    Charming and Challenging
    Portal is easily one of the most charming games ive played period As you make your way through the game solving increasingly difficult puzzles, your progress is being monitored by an unknown character that will effortlessly make you laugh, Playing portal just to hear the commentary is worth the journey through the game alone, but the good news is, the
    Portal
    Charming and Challenging
    Portal is easily one of the most charming games ive played period
    As you make your way through the game solving increasingly difficult puzzles, your progress is being monitored by an unknown character that will effortlessly make you laugh, Playing portal just to hear the commentary is worth the journey through the game alone, but the good news is, the game is just as good.
    Portal starts you off slow with one portal gun , you use this portal to hop gaps and move objects, youll eventually get to a point where youre given 2 portal guns which at first feels a bit easier as you feel more free, the only problem is by time this happens, you are already halfway through the game.
    You use one portal to makes an exit, and the other for that exits entrance
    The 2nd half of portal is where puzzles can get a bit tricky and no longer feel all too intuitive,
    It may just be me not used to having to use my brain all too often to play games, but I found the difficulty spike to be just a tad bit too intense.
    The complexity of the levels go too slow in the beginning and too fast at the end making the game feel kind of frustrating, I didn’t really feel clever when I got through levels, it was more guess work, I felt kind of lucky.
    While you may lose some hair over figuring out the perfect way to drop boxes from the ceiling, avoiding lasers, and getting over obstacles, youll feel great going through the gate onto the next floor.
    The feeling of guess work isn’t satisfying, but somehow portal still manages to pull you forward always wanting more., but while I say that I felt like portal gave me just enough.
    Portal will only last you about 3-5 hours, and as a puzzle game of its kind I found this length to be pretty perfect.
    The game kept pulling me forward with its charm, but I wont lie and say I wasn’t fully satisfied when this brain exercise was over.
    For what it is
    Puzzle Platformer 8.5/10
    Overall 8/10
  3. Oct 9, 2010
    No excuse for not owning this game. It will run on most PCs even pretty old ones and the experience is unique, bringing something new and fresh into gaming. Please do yourself a favor and GET this game.
  4. Jan 3, 2013
    A humorous first person puzzle game pitting you against an evil overlord computer system with your only "weapon" being a Portal Gun that lets you open 2 color-coded portals on certain walls & floors. A great twist on Valve's penchant for box & physics puzzles with an engaging story that will pull you through the (relatively short) campaign. If you crave more after the campaign you canA humorous first person puzzle game pitting you against an evil overlord computer system with your only "weapon" being a Portal Gun that lets you open 2 color-coded portals on certain walls & floors. A great twist on Valve's penchant for box & physics puzzles with an engaging story that will pull you through the (relatively short) campaign. If you crave more after the campaign you can download or create your own custom maps using the same tools as any other source game. An easy to pickup and play must-play for anyone. Expand
  5. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Portal is a perfect example of how it is possible to create great things from simple concepts. Of course you must have at your disposal great resources too, and Portal's again the case: some great graphics, a smooth gameplay, an interesting story which fits perfectly to the playtime. There are games out there that are short. Just deal with it.
  6. Jul 17, 2012
    Portal is a amazing game which all gamers should try out at least once. The game is so worth it, you can get it for a cheap price on Steam, if you are a fan of Puzzles and short games, you will surely love this game. The amazing character GlaDos and the unique gameplay by itself is more than enough reason to get this game now.
  7. Nov 7, 2012
    Took me 4 hours or so. Contains an interactive "developers' commentary" and additional challenges. I don't have anything new to add to the discussion about this game, I think, but you can think of it as a 3d problem solving simulator. It's almost on-rails as you progress linearly through the campaign, each stop a reflection on the problem presented. The 3d approach introduces an aspect ofTook me 4 hours or so. Contains an interactive "developers' commentary" and additional challenges. I don't have anything new to add to the discussion about this game, I think, but you can think of it as a 3d problem solving simulator. It's almost on-rails as you progress linearly through the campaign, each stop a reflection on the problem presented. The 3d approach introduces an aspect of exploration as you try to get a grip of the elements of each puzzle. There's some sort of a story progression subtly woven into the game as you play. No cutscenes and few 'distractions' from the core gameplay. Expand
  8. Aug 26, 2012
    This game won the 2007 Game of the Year Award. And I think this game really did deserve the award. With It's complex physics-based puzzles, this masterpiece of gaming will keep your mind thinking and thinking for a solution to each carefully crafted "test." Aside from all this, the game was relatively short. Which is the reason why it does not get a 10 from me. In the end, the gameThis game won the 2007 Game of the Year Award. And I think this game really did deserve the award. With It's complex physics-based puzzles, this masterpiece of gaming will keep your mind thinking and thinking for a solution to each carefully crafted "test." Aside from all this, the game was relatively short. Which is the reason why it does not get a 10 from me. In the end, the game deserves a well earned 9 from me. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2015
    Portal is one of the best games ever made with how simple the concept is and yet it has such great scope. The story, the characters, the humor and of course the puzzles make this a great game.
  10. Jul 30, 2014
    A lesson in effectivity in game design. Very short, but memorable, brain engaging, funny, atmospheric and in my opinion much better than Portal 2. 9/10
  11. Jun 10, 2015
    Very smart approach to design: take simple idea and make such a grandiose application of it. In Portal you have one device which makes two holes - point of entry and point of exit - and you solve spacial puzzles with it. The Guidence AI's voice adds hilarity, and there is actually a plot behind the game. It's pretty short, but there are many user-made maps available for download. VeryVery smart approach to design: take simple idea and make such a grandiose application of it. In Portal you have one device which makes two holes - point of entry and point of exit - and you solve spacial puzzles with it. The Guidence AI's voice adds hilarity, and there is actually a plot behind the game. It's pretty short, but there are many user-made maps available for download. Very pleasant and innovative must-have game. Expand
  12. Aug 14, 2012
    Valve have always treated PC games to the best in gaming entertainment. Now arrives a new IP from the studio's responsible for Half-Life. Portal is a 90 minute first person puzzle game set in the remains of Aperture Science, Black Mesa's only rival in the realms of science. You play Chell, the only remaining test subject for the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, or in layman's termsValve have always treated PC games to the best in gaming entertainment. Now arrives a new IP from the studio's responsible for Half-Life. Portal is a 90 minute first person puzzle game set in the remains of Aperture Science, Black Mesa's only rival in the realms of science. You play Chell, the only remaining test subject for the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, or in layman's terms the Portal gun. As you are set to complete test chambers created by GLaDOS, the corrupt computer program running Aperture. Chell must escape Aperture and destroy GLaDOS to make sure these experiments never continue. It plays like any Valve FPS and looks like Half-Life 2 but a lot more sterile (white). Portal is one of those rare gems that come around every now and again (usually from Valve) that change the way games work, they change the way games are seen and they change the way games are played. Portal is one in a million. Expand
  13. Jul 29, 2013
    A great game with excellent innovative idea. Some of the puzzle rooms are simply a work of a genius. One of the best puzzle games ever. If you haven't seen it, you should.
  14. Sep 26, 2011
    Portal is one of the few games to exist in the industry that contains some genuine science fiction. Its an obvious opportunity of interactive games to create original science fiction but sadly is missing by most popular titles in the industry. Portals focus on good design and puzzle solving rather than the immaturity of violence and 'bad-ass'ness makes it stand out as intelligent from thePortal is one of the few games to exist in the industry that contains some genuine science fiction. Its an obvious opportunity of interactive games to create original science fiction but sadly is missing by most popular titles in the industry. Portals focus on good design and puzzle solving rather than the immaturity of violence and 'bad-ass'ness makes it stand out as intelligent from the dumb gaming crowd. Portal is funny, intelligent, flawlessly designed and does not over stay its welcome - the short length is by design and is a good thing. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Expand
  15. May 12, 2012
    Kinda old game for a review, but has a great concept that it's still fresh to this day, and it is still a great and original game that works, it's fun, and I enjoyed to the last. Why the 8? Well, it's very lacking: I finished it about 4-5 hours in total (but for some reasons my timer is reseted, ARGH!), and yes there are timed challenges, but in my opinion that's just a plus because it'sKinda old game for a review, but has a great concept that it's still fresh to this day, and it is still a great and original game that works, it's fun, and I enjoyed to the last. Why the 8? Well, it's very lacking: I finished it about 4-5 hours in total (but for some reasons my timer is reseted, ARGH!), and yes there are timed challenges, but in my opinion that's just a plus because it's the same levels (I would have prefered specific time challenges with proper made maps, instead). The graphics are extremely simple but works and gives a strange impression of alienation, which fits the purpose of the plot. And yes, the plot is good, but very very slow to increase the pace: only the last part of the game gets really good and interesting, with a "not bad" final boss to beat, which is good. In general, I really liked this game, especially because it was incluced within the orange box, so It was a great deal, but on it's own....well yeah, it's still worth! Expand
  16. Mar 22, 2013
    I came upon this game totally on accident before it blew up and boy was I surprised. To this day, still the single greatest initial gaming experience I've had. The intrigue, the suspense, endless curiosity and then shock and surprise. What a twist!
  17. Nov 17, 2012
    Very inventive game offering something different. Has a great story and is enjoyable the entire way though. Only thing holding it back from a 10 is a that it is relatively short.
  18. Oct 28, 2013
    Love it. Quirky. Fun. Challenging. And of course very different thanks to the whole portals scheme itself. Definitely one of my all-time favorites and would recommend this to anyone.
  19. Jul 29, 2011
    Portal in my opinion is a very original game. It offered something entirely new. It's a puzzle game but it's not just any puzzle game. It has a soul and a charm. The gameplay mainly consists of using a specialised handheld device to create 2 portals, one orange and one blue. Entering one of those instantly causes the player to exit out the other one, and this simple element alone isPortal in my opinion is a very original game. It offered something entirely new. It's a puzzle game but it's not just any puzzle game. It has a soul and a charm. The gameplay mainly consists of using a specialised handheld device to create 2 portals, one orange and one blue. Entering one of those instantly causes the player to exit out the other one, and this simple element alone is utilised in a variety of ways to solve a wide range of different puzzles, involving buttons and cubes, turrets, electricity balls and death traps. Additionally to the puzzle solving, the game has a somewhat of an interesting humourous feel to it, ending up with a wide variety of inside jokes that many people still use on the net repeatedly. So far the main drawback for me is that the game is very short, even though it's short and sweet. There are additional challenges that get unlocked once you complete the game, but if you've enjoyed this and want a full-length game, then I'd highly suggest you try Portal 2. Expand
  20. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Yes, I realize Portal was very short. But I would rather have a quality game that lasts about six hours than a piece of trash that lasts 20. And Portal is one of the most innovative, funniest, and mind-numbing games you will ever play. The puzzles are challenging enough to be satisfying, but not so tough that they're impossible to solve. Add to that the dark humor of GLaDOS and theYes, I realize Portal was very short. But I would rather have a quality game that lasts about six hours than a piece of trash that lasts 20. And Portal is one of the most innovative, funniest, and mind-numbing games you will ever play. The puzzles are challenging enough to be satisfying, but not so tough that they're impossible to solve. Add to that the dark humor of GLaDOS and the best video game song ever, and you've got an amazing game. Expand
  21. Aug 8, 2012
    I enjoyed playing portal, it was new and different to most games out there, a puzzle game that I could actually enjoy and not just sit there with a blank look on my face. The game runs very smoothly and I did not find any glitches at all. Not the best game in the world, but it did keep me entertained.
  22. May 17, 2013
    One of the most original game of all time, some chambers are really clever, but most of them are easy. Unfortunately it's too short, it's barely two hours long. But overall it's magnificent game!
  23. Dec 13, 2012
    This game was simply fantastic in most every way: it is humorous, dark, intriguing, fun, challenging, and innovative. While it is pretty short and the graphics are not particularly good, I don't hold this against it considering how cheap it was (basically free in the Orange Box) and because it was a small-team effort with impressive results. I was glad to see this game get a big-budgetThis game was simply fantastic in most every way: it is humorous, dark, intriguing, fun, challenging, and innovative. While it is pretty short and the graphics are not particularly good, I don't hold this against it considering how cheap it was (basically free in the Orange Box) and because it was a small-team effort with impressive results. I was glad to see this game get a big-budget sequel that could be longer with higher production values, but the original Portal remains a gem in the video game industry. Expand
  24. Jun 10, 2014
    Uno de los juegos imprescindibles en cualquier colección. Una mecánica sencilla que lleva a niveles de emergencia y de resolución de problemas nunca vistos antes, además de ser muy divertido para experimentar locuras con las físicas.
  25. Feb 16, 2012
    A thrilling and mind bending experiment. Innovative, involved, and exactly what we need to see more of in gaming. Bold steps in new directions. Out of this and portal 2, I still prefer portal 2 by a wide margin. However this game deserves recognition for being truly original at the time of release. And even now really.
  26. Feb 3, 2011
    A very impressive game, sure it isn't the longest game in the world. But this was something fresh, something new that blew everyone away. Interesting puzzles to solve, and I cant wait for Portal 2, looks awesome.
  27. Nov 13, 2012
    If you're reading this review, that means you're considering getting the game. Just go get it. It's short but it's fun. It's a fantastic puzzle game that requires creativity and provides a rewarding experience (the atmosphere is great- listening to glados is hilarious). Just go get it.
  28. Sep 23, 2014
    Ok,can someone tell me something- Is the cake a lie?
    Anyway, it's still one of the best games,to date. Funny humor,fun gameplay,amazing song at the end of the game...

PORTAL 3 COMFIRMED!!!1
  29. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is just wonderful, the concept of solving puzzles using the portal gun is just great, I just wish this game was longer, just like the sequel. The main single-player is great but after playing Portal 2 I feel the puzzles were way to easy. Apart from that there are challenge modes and a developer commentary to keep you busy and although there is not much replay value you will comeThis game is just wonderful, the concept of solving puzzles using the portal gun is just great, I just wish this game was longer, just like the sequel. The main single-player is great but after playing Portal 2 I feel the puzzles were way to easy. Apart from that there are challenge modes and a developer commentary to keep you busy and although there is not much replay value you will come back for more. The humor is extremely good, its hilarious sometimes to hear what GLADOS has to say adding to the overall experience. This game is just great and for the low price of 9.99 dollars on Steam this is totally worth it. Expand
  30. Dec 8, 2012
    Incredible game! The concept is great with a huge potential and it's really fun to play!
    Even after finishing it, I still enjoy to play it again.
    A must-have.
  31. Jul 5, 2011
    Pretty much the single best puzzle game I've played. Even its short length isn't enough for me to give this game anything less than a 10. Anyone who owns a PC needs to get this game. Every once and a while a game comes out that reminds you that real innovation can still happen. This is one of those games.
  32. Jul 5, 2016
    Portal, it's a short and sweet puzzle game.

Portal, it's a short and sweet puzzle game.

The game can be finished in under 5 hours (some areas can take longer than expected) or maybe a bit longer than 5 hours if you want to get all the achievements, and it has a neat storyline to the game mostly putting a cliffhanger for Portal 2. At the end of the game, you are greeted with a musical, I won't spoil anything but it was funny and neat to have.

If you need a cheap game to play but something addictive that will make you love the Portal series, Portal is a must have game to buy.

The cake is a lie!
  33. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Obviously unique and compelling puzzle gameplay for its time
    + Marries gameplay and narrative expertly from start to finish
    ? Suffers somewhat from the weight of its own greatness when played years later, particularly due to a narrative and theme that insists upon itself so heavily
  34. Jun 21, 2012
    Despite the Metacritic ratings; many of opinions I heard of Portal were mixed. Some said it was short, others complain of the linear level design and unspectacular graphics. Yes, Portal is only 2 hours long. Yes, the progression is linear. Yes, the Source engine graphics are not exactly Crysis. But ultimately, these factors actually contribute to why Portal is such a great game: it'sDespite the Metacritic ratings; many of opinions I heard of Portal were mixed. Some said it was short, others complain of the linear level design and unspectacular graphics. Yes, Portal is only 2 hours long. Yes, the progression is linear. Yes, the Source engine graphics are not exactly Crysis. But ultimately, these factors actually contribute to why Portal is such a great game: it's tightly designed, well-executed and unique. Anyone who likes puzzle games or even video games in general should seek this out to see what all the fuss is about. Expand
  35. Sep 1, 2013
    yes its only 2-3 hours long and I managed to speed run it at exactly 27 Minutes 16 Seconds but how did that guy get 13 minutes and 28 seconds but anyway all the puzzles are interesting and imaginitive GlaDos is amazing and the humor as well but the sequel did better in that category but I prefer the first one its feels more alien and different its really cheap on Steam so buy it and if youyes its only 2-3 hours long and I managed to speed run it at exactly 27 Minutes 16 Seconds but how did that guy get 13 minutes and 28 seconds but anyway all the puzzles are interesting and imaginitive GlaDos is amazing and the humor as well but the sequel did better in that category but I prefer the first one its feels more alien and different its really cheap on Steam so buy it and if you don't have a PC why are you reading this then get the ornage box or on the 360 get Portal:Still Alive Expand
  36. Jun 19, 2015
    The game is great, has a spectacular gameplay with easy puzzles, an interesting story, but the game is not very long, unfortunately, but there are a number of maps you can download and play.
  37. Oct 4, 2014
    Just buy it, full stop.

Great scenarios, great plot, great graphics, perfect bgm.
    Also, after you clear game story-line (which I have to say it's actually really short, like 3 hours) you have access to challenges and bonus maps to test yourself and it's awesome.

I think this is my first 10/10, rarely fully enjoyed myself like with this one.
  38. Jul 25, 2013
    Portal is a revolutionary game, which brings innovative and new gameplay features. You have to solve puzzles with your portal gun, which is a weapon, that shoot two different portals. It has a good learning curve, but the game is a bit short, which is a sad, because I want to play more! But, there is now Portal 2.
  39. Mar 14, 2016
    Full of character, but unfortunately the lack of atmosphere left me feeling disappointed after all hearing all the praise piled onto this game over the years. Truly innovative gameplay did allow me to have a great time with this game none-the-less.
  40. Jun 17, 2011
    The simplicity to this game in one aspect makes the story a little bit more disturbing and mysterious than its sequel. GLaDoS seems to be a glitching robotic system that has an unintentional desire to kill through her little glitches, which slowly evolves into an obvious artificial-intelligent insanity. The game is very well-made and is one of the best first-person puzzle games out there,The simplicity to this game in one aspect makes the story a little bit more disturbing and mysterious than its sequel. GLaDoS seems to be a glitching robotic system that has an unintentional desire to kill through her little glitches, which slowly evolves into an obvious artificial-intelligent insanity. The game is very well-made and is one of the best first-person puzzle games out there, and it's one of the best Valve games out there. The game is very short, but very fun. I can probably beat it in about half an hour and still have a great time doing it. The story is simple enough, but yes it has some very disturbing aspects about the implied history of the machine intelligence GLaDOS, and the portal system itself is very inventive and entertaining. This is a game you have to play at least once, just like it's sequel. Expand
  41. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = I seriously want to delve into the minds of the developers at Valve. They are just geniuses. This game is seriously unbelievable.
  42. Mar 9, 2015
    Everything that you've heard about 'Portal' is true. Well, if you've heard nothing but great things about it, that is. Because this is easily one of the greatest puzzle games to ever be created. Hell, it may even be one of the greatest games created, period. It's like 'Half Life 2' but on crack! You thought crack was bad for you, didn't you? Well it turns out that crack is good whenEverything that you've heard about 'Portal' is true. Well, if you've heard nothing but great things about it, that is. Because this is easily one of the greatest puzzle games to ever be created. Hell, it may even be one of the greatest games created, period. It's like 'Half Life 2' but on crack! You thought crack was bad for you, didn't you? Well it turns out that crack is good when combined with elements of puzzle solving and first person shooters. 'Portal' may be short, but it's pretty damn cheap too. And when you take into consideration the difficulty of the added challenges after you've completed the story, it should take a decent amount of time to complete. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to see a first person 'shooter' without bullets and if you haven't picked this game up, along with the rest of the 'Orange Box', that's something that you should probably be doing right about now. Expand
  43. Jan 1, 2012
    Very fun to play game and i also liked how it got implemented in the half life universe instead of beeing released as completely new IP. Just get it, its not expensive and very worth to be played.
  44. Oct 3, 2014
    Portal is one of those games you should start and finish in one sitting, so you can experience it all without interruption. It's a short game for sure, but for a puzzle game like this, a shorter length somehow feels appropriate so that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

The puzzles were fairly standard during the earlier levels, and it wasn't until later where more complex thinking was required. But for me, it's not the puzzles that make Portal good, but rather the whole atmosphere and setting of the game. I found myself not really looking forward to the puzzles as I was looking forward to the next piece of voice acting that would showcase Portal's brilliant dark humour. But dig a little deeper and you notice that behind the humorous facade, is a rather disturbing and sad story. Finding the Ratman dens adds a layer of suspense and the ambient soundtrack emphasises the sense of loneliness and isolation. None of this is explicitly told either, rather you're guided to make these conclusions by more subtle hints.

I'm also impressed that the game successfully made me feel sorry for my Companion Cube, despite it being an inanimate object. Love the credits song too.

Overall rating - 8.6/10
  45. May 13, 2012
    Portal really surprise me by showing me the new way and new concept of gaming. Yes, the game is really short, but it is never repeats itself. I know people would say other games are longer, and stuffs, but ask yourself, you do the same thing over and over again (Lvling, farming, fighting the same kind enemies over and over, you get it.) and that is why they are longer. Great humour in thePortal really surprise me by showing me the new way and new concept of gaming. Yes, the game is really short, but it is never repeats itself. I know people would say other games are longer, and stuffs, but ask yourself, you do the same thing over and over again (Lvling, farming, fighting the same kind enemies over and over, you get it.) and that is why they are longer. Great humour in the game too. I always enjoy the sarcasm in the game. Good job to the team. You guys made a game that deserves 10/10. Expand
  46. May 9, 2012
    Portal is funny, clever and interesting, with an extremely short single player. It simply doesn't beat Portal 2, but still It is amazing. When I was playing this game, It remembers the Half Life 2 atmosphere (quiet and alone). The plot is amazing, but people, why the Users Review for Portal 2 is 8.4, I still can't understand. Anyway, I give 9 points for Portal.
  47. sft
    May 22, 2013
    No cakewalk this one

No cakewalk this one

This is one clever game. The concept is simple but brilliant: you’re trapped in the labs of Aperture Science and you have to get out. To assist you you’re given a portal gun. The gun opens doorways in almost any surface. Once you have full control of the gun you can create blue and amber portals. Step into the blue one and you emerge from the amber one, step into the amber one and you emerge from the blue one. By positioning the portals in certain ways you can step, jump, or fall huge distances. You can also use them to redirect lasers and bullets, which you must do in order to stay alive. All through your efforts to escape you’re teased and goaded by GLaDoS, the AI that runs the lab. As with all Valve games the writing is excellent, with GLaDoS delivering some perfectly-pitched lines (and a cute little song at the end). Each challenge is more difficult than the last but none is so frustrating as to annoy, and all are satisfying when solved. My only criticism is that the maps lack variety as you travel from one austere lab to another, or from one utility area to another (this appears to have been addressed in Portal 2, which offers a wider range of environments). All-in-all this is one of the most imaginative games I’ve ever encountered. Check out the Orange Box though, because this offers the excellent Half-Life 2 games and Portal as a bundle and is great value.
  48. Sep 5, 2014
    From the silly humor to the great puzzles, i recommend this game to anyone who has a computer. this is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out so far. The game is good at teaching you all of the mechanics to the game through the first few levels. The game is definitely short but the short amount of time you get with this game is enjoyable. The game has a large replay value andFrom the silly humor to the great puzzles, i recommend this game to anyone who has a computer. this is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out so far. The game is good at teaching you all of the mechanics to the game through the first few levels. The game is definitely short but the short amount of time you get with this game is enjoyable. The game has a large replay value and the light amount of story and lore is fairly interesting. Expand
  49. Dec 10, 2011
    Portal was, in short; short. It taught you how to play the game through a series of levels, and when you were finally trained, the game ended. It was much too easy and lacked much intellect. This game was the preparation of what would be the greatest puzzle video game of all-time (Portal 2). It needed to be the first, so that every flaw in it would be ironed out by the time of Portal 2.Portal was, in short; short. It taught you how to play the game through a series of levels, and when you were finally trained, the game ended. It was much too easy and lacked much intellect. This game was the preparation of what would be the greatest puzzle video game of all-time (Portal 2). It needed to be the first, so that every flaw in it would be ironed out by the time of Portal 2. Even after all these insults, it was still amazing. It was very funny, had a new and interesting concept behind it, it was quotable, and best of all, memorable. Expand
  50. Sep 28, 2011
    Well, given that Portal 2 is a week away, I figured it'd be a fine time to go back and revisit the charming predecessor. The first Portal was a delightful pack-in for The Orange Box, Valve's compilation of Half-Life, the two subsequent Episodes, and Team Fortress 2. While all those games were highly regarded and well worth the money, Portal was singled out in particular for its innovativeWell, given that Portal 2 is a week away, I figured it'd be a fine time to go back and revisit the charming predecessor. The first Portal was a delightful pack-in for The Orange Box, Valve's compilation of Half-Life, the two subsequent Episodes, and Team Fortress 2. While all those games were highly regarded and well worth the money, Portal was singled out in particular for its innovative puzzle design which truly explored what the First Person Shooter genre was capable of when coupled with a spark of creativity and the freedom to go beyond mere convention.

Portal takes the puzzle mentality of games as old as Tetris and other 2D sidescrollers and transports it into the modern 3D space of first person shooters, though perhaps this is a bit of a misnomer as there isn't actually shooting in the traditional bloodthirsty connotation. Instead, you're given a marvelous Portal gun which greatly resembles the Gravity gun from Half-Life 2. Just as that "gun" was more of an experimental piece of equipment than an actual deadly firearm, here too the Portal gun functions in a unique manner to aid in your adventures. Rather than terminating foes, you create portals in solid matter to bypass obstacles in the environment and traverse in odd, sometimes paradoxical pathways. These dimensional holes cut into the walls and floors of the laboratory also afford Portal the unique distinction of being one of the only FPSs ever to allow you to witness your own body in front of you, without the aid of mirrors. The mind-bending nature of these portals is what gives the game such a playfully devious character and even jaded hardcore gamers who've long exhausted their stockpiles of FPS games will find it hard not to giggle at the intensely creative and ingenious environmental puzzles that Valve has conjured up in its technological cauldron.

While an imaginative and refreshing new twist on the FPS genre, Portal is let down by its short length. This is not a particularly grievous complaint as the game was meant to be a sort of free extra treat in The Orange Box, already a steal with its plethora of games, but one cannot help feeling somewhat disappointed when they've arrived at the end of this rather loopy and wholly captivating diversion of time. Truly, "short and sweet" is how the game can best be characterized, yet if only that sweetness could have been prolonged somehow!

Portal's humor has been singled out for a great deal of praise and been the source of countless memes since the dawn of its release, yet I'm not entirely convinced the game deserves such effusive love. Perhaps it's because of my own sense of humor that gets in the way, but I found the game's comic sensibilities rather tame and merely worthy of a chuckle here and there. GlaDOS, the malevolent AI in the story, delivers vaguely threatening monologues coached in corporate doublespeak but I never found these evoking an actual laugh out loud. And does "the cake is a lie" merit such a widespread meme? Is that statement really so powerfully mindblowing and clever that it deserves to be plastered all over the internet? I can't really justify it, unfortunately. The game's somewhat clever at times, but there's nothing about it that makes me suspect it's reaching the heights of comedy.

The problem with most puzzle games, and which Portal inevitably succumbs to, is the fact that they're only good for the first time. Replaying this game two years after I first completed it, there was a sensation of repetition and familiarity. Some of the harder and more intricate puzzles took me a mindful pause to remember what the solution was, but the overall playthrough was greatly reduced from my first time, as the answers were all still within my memories. There was no great epiphany, no moment of "Eureka!" that you had over and over again from the first playthrough. This is a problem that you find in all puzzle games, they just don't warrant repeat plays as the puzzle's already been solved. After that initial breakthough, you're just left with a sense of treading water. That ebullient feeling of discovery and the satisfaction of cracking the proverbial nut is lost forever, and that's a shame. It's just the nature of puzzles, and a few other genres as well. Trivia games are another example where you have this issue. The first time, you're stumped, but subsequent games are no brainers as you've learned the trivia and there's no challenge left.

But Portal's first time through is a truly marvelous and rather pure gaming experience which has few equals in the modern gaming landscape. It's one to treasure.
  51. Dec 22, 2011
    Portal features a superb game mechanic in the form of the portal gun, and the puzzles you can solve with it. The setting is unique and interesting, but what really makes it perfect is the storyline and the humour. Brilliant. Too bad it was so short though.
  52. Jul 20, 2013
    A genuinely unique puzzle game that’s definitely worth playing if you haven’t already. The gameplay is fairly simple once you get used to the concept, but there are a few tricky parts towards the end. I especially enjoyed the last level. It caught me completely off guard and was easily my favorite part of the entire game.
  53. Jul 3, 2011
    Unique uses of portals, plus dark humor, plus plot, gives this game....not quite all ten. Why? I wish they would have came up with this idea sooner, because the game is REALLY short (2-3 hours average). And getting the 2nd game, I felt like there could have been no need for a sequel (yet) if Portal would have been a hit already.
  54. Sep 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like bad things so let's clear them up now:
    It's too short: I kept waiting for training to end, but training is the game
    The last battle is too easy: the timer's for 6 minutes!

That is all:

This game is the best PC game ever!!!!
    Through the 2 hours that you play, GLaDOS will guide you through the test chambers, while trying to kill you, and you must solve puzzles, and in the end, escape Aperture laboratories.
    You can't deny the brilliance of this game...
    unless you like COD...
    from start to finish, so pick it up NOW.

+ Addictive as heck
    +Humour is great
    + COD lovers will go away
    -Its too short
    - Last battle disapoints

96%
  55. Jun 9, 2016
    Portal is a brilliant game, a game that is pretty much 80% tutorial, but every hour of entertainment that this game gave me is really worth every single cent of its purchase.

STORY: Portal really doesn't have a story to tell, you pretty much have to figure it out yourself because if i tell the "story" of the game, it would sound like this: "You are this girl and your traps with this robotic entity called Glados in some laboratory and you have to resolve the test that this robotic entity gives you" and that would be it.

PRESENTATION: Portal has a very clean look, 70% of the environments have white in them and since the game is shooter from 2008, you are obviously not gonna see some incredible models or animations, but you only see that through the portals so they are pretty much non existent. Now this may sound like the presentation is horrible, but it really isn't, the game is more about the style than anything else and it reminds me a lot of Mirror's Edge with white all over the place, simple yet appealing environments and like i said the game looks very clean, which is easy on the eye and the framerate is smooth and even the most powerless PC's can run it. Now the music is pretty much non existent, aside from the theme there aren't any other tracks, but in a game like this it kinda fits, now i would definitely like hearing some tracks, but i feel like it's ok in this case.

GAMEPLAY: Portal is a first person shooter, you move with W, A, S, D, you move the camera with the mouse, you pick up things with the E and you shoot portals with the right and left...uummm...how do you call the right and left click things in the mouse?...uuumm...uuuh, well anyway you get it. Now this mechanic may sound very basic...and it is, however by using this simple mechanic the developers made some incredible puzzles around this system and their efforts really show, this are some of the most creative puzzles i have ever seen using the law of "momentum" and the possibilities that they have with the portals. I can't really describe it, but believe me, the portal mechanics are use very, VERY well, putting your mind to think and you feel like a badass when you finally figure that puzzle ,that was very hard, out.

But it's not just the portals, believe it or not the pick up mechanic is also used brilliantly, you use it block proyectiles, bounce proyectiles, destroy turrets, switch on mechanisms, etc and you use both the portals and the blocks that you pick up to resolve the puzzles.

And that's it...no really, that's portal, it's a very basic game, with very basic mechanics and because of that it's very accessible, fun, replayable and deep. The puzzles are great, the setting is great, the mechanics are great and overall the game is just a blast to play, it may not be a very long game, but (unlike the order) the game is 100% gameplay and the 3-4 hours that you will play will be unforgettable. I'll give Portal a 8/10.

PS. Glados is AWESOME!
  56. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 6 out of 10, Length: 7 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  57. Jan 23, 2016
    Portal!!
    After the game's got so much critical acclaim, seems like there's not much to add, only to ask myself how didn't I play it sooner.
    I would start then with a very short list of the things that DID bother me, First, well, the length of course. Nothing new here. I do believe it simply wasn't meant to be too long in the first place but more like a side content to The Orange Box
    Portal!!

I would start then with a very short list of the things that DID bother me,
    First, well, the length of course. Nothing new here. I do believe it simply wasn't meant to be too long in the first place but more like a side content to The Orange Box back in the day, but still.
    Also, soundtrack was a little disappointing in my opinion.
    And, before completing the main game, I've seen that there are "challenges" and "advanced maps", and imagined that they would add more content to the game, but figured out later that these are merely a revisions of the original maps from the campaign.

So, just let me confess here, that Portal didn't completely live up to my expectations. (~Hiding myself from possibly thrown objects~)
    As this game is so positively accepted I did expect something more.
    Being so short and the lack of additional content in the base game didn't help much.
    It was fun but ended too soon, and the story just felt... meeeh.
    And the challenges started to feel too crazy for me as soon as they started depending on trial and error or some luck, facts which I don't like!

I did grow a lot fonder of Portal as I played through the developers commentary.
    Hearing their thoughts and the game-making process made me appreciate everything much more, somehow.
    I even liked better that "Still Alive" song which at first seemed bizarre and weird to me.

Anyway, I'm not going to fully review this game and describe all of it's good aspects, because you probably know them already, and if not (!?) then you should experience it yourself, even by trying the demo.
    Just wanted to share my little story of falling in love with the game.

Portal is without a doubt a very extraordinary puzzle game, brilliantly original, and I doubt we'll ever see any other game of the kind. Many other games tried to follow Portal's lead and so far I didn't encounter much success among these attempts.

It goes constantly on sale, and it's actually worth the full price of 10$ as well.
    If you didn't already, it's time to play!
  58. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic FPS puzzle game. Gameplay is different enough as the game progresses that it doesn't get boring (new puzzles & ways to deal with them are introduced). GlaDOS is quite funny in places. Maps are well written and the mind-bending physics are pretty creative. It's only real shortcoming is fairly short length. Well worth playing though.
  59. Sep 30, 2014
    One of the two only games I consider to be 'perfect'. This game is absolutely stunning. I cannot muster up the words to describe this masterpiece of game design.
  60. May 4, 2013
    No doubt one of the best games I have played and both this and it's sequel are quite the journey, a journey very hard to forget. Yes, the game is short but it is still worth your money. You feel accomplished at the end of doing some of these puzzle, and most of theme are in my opinion more challenging than the ones of its sequel and being able to crank up the difficulty is always a welcomeNo doubt one of the best games I have played and both this and it's sequel are quite the journey, a journey very hard to forget. Yes, the game is short but it is still worth your money. You feel accomplished at the end of doing some of these puzzle, and most of theme are in my opinion more challenging than the ones of its sequel and being able to crank up the difficulty is always a welcome challenge. You must own this game and its sequel, very great games. Expand
  61. Jan 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ........................cake

Pros:
    Cake
    Excellent level design
    Humorous and perfect dialogue
    Portal Mechanic is flawless
    CAKE
    Companion Cube
    CAKE!!!!!
    Still Alive
    CAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:
    The cake is a lie :(

A timeless c*ake*lassic*ake*

62. Dec 26, 2010
    This is a one of a kind, it's a pearl in the mist of mass killing shooter games and other FPS. It's the refreshing breeze in the desert of un-creativity (though short). It's the touch of jokes in a dead laboratory and it's the delicious chocolate that always leaves you starving...
    But of course you don't have to like chocolate.
  63. Mar 1, 2014
    Portal is for me the best puzzle game I've ever played! The atmosphere is really great and if you play it the first time, it's interesting to find out who the voice really is, what she exactly wants and how she looks like. My only issue is the short gameplay.
  64. Apr 22, 2012
    I've never been a puzzle games fun but i can say i regretted not buying it sooner, anyway you must think with portals to be able to complete it, this game is not very long but you still a nice challenge, and that mean you have to get this game and the sequel for be able to understand what's really going on down there, anyway both awesome.
  65. Sep 17, 2014
    Last Played: May 2014

PROS: + GLADOS is actually really funny + Looks good, even after 6 years CONS: - Really short and really easy - Neither revolutionary nor evolutionary REVIEW: If we are being honest, Portal is not a puzzle game, despite many claims to the contrary. It is a "puzzle-ish" game for people who like shooters. I liked that it was difficult to die, since it made it
    Last Played: May 2014

PROS: + GLADOS is actually really funny + Looks good, even after 6 years

CONS: - Really short and really easy - Neither revolutionary nor evolutionary

REVIEW: If we are being honest, Portal is not a puzzle game, despite many claims to the contrary. It is a "puzzle-ish" game for people who like shooters. I liked that it was difficult to die, since it made it easier to focus on finding solutions to the "puzzles", but even with easy deaths the hard part about this game isn't figuring out what to do, it is doing it with somewhat fiddly controls (played using an XBOX 360 controller). Still, if the game disappoints on puzzle satisfaction, it really delivers on dry humor. Your handler, GLADOS is very funny and when she sings the credits song you can't help but grin. The graphics are still shiny (some texture mapping looks bad, but doesn't detract too badly) even after 6 years, which is no small feat as games start to age. As others have said, the level of difficulty will probably see you finishing the base game in less than 3 hours, even if you get stuck-a disadvantage since it significantly boosts your $ cost per hour of entertainment. This also hurts a decision to buy because Portal introduced no really new elements to physics puzzlers nor did it do them especially better, it seems to owe its current popularity to previously high reviews (much like Angry Birds).

Still, one of the best measures of a game is whether you'll remember it after you're done, and I have to say I will remember Portal. Just don't spend more than $5 on it.

POST EDIT: I never expected to get a response to a review, but it seems some people don't agree that Portal may have been somewhat unoriginal in using a FPP on a puzzle game. Here's the thing: "Real Myst" (which implemented the developers original intention to allow a player to walk freely about the puzzle environments) was released in 2000 (i.e. much earlier than "Portal"), so you can't claim freedom of movement as revolutionary in a puzzle game (even if you did, there are zillions of node-based games I still consider to have done FPP puzzle first). Does slapping a "puzzle-gun" in your hands justify a "revolutionary" epithet? I think not.
  66. Nov 8, 2011
    Really fun game, inventive and nothing like it out there today...unless there is and i dont know about it :P anyways i have nothing bad to say about this game other than its way way to short so i give it an 8...for 10 bucks? dont drink that 6 pack on friday and instead play this, its worth it :)
  67. Jun 27, 2015
    - Good: Story, Writing, Gameplay, Concept, Puzzles, Humour
    - Mixed: ---
    - Bad: ---

Fantastic game with fresh gameplay and hard enough puzzles. Very entertaining.
  68. Nov 9, 2013
    This must be the most original FPS/puzzle game ever created. Extremely fun puzzle solving of an unusual kind. All accompanied by a compelling story and the voice of a sarcastic super computer.
  69. Jan 13, 2011
    A very different and innovative game, not like the same FPS's we see every year. The puzzles are extremely fun and well thought out. The game is about from 3,5 - 4,5 hours long (The people who say they finished the game in 2 - 3 hours either didn't finish it or are over exaggerating , because not one puzzle got me stuck although 1 or 2 puzzles took a quite a bit of time to get right evenA very different and innovative game, not like the same FPS's we see every year. The puzzles are extremely fun and well thought out. The game is about from 3,5 - 4,5 hours long (The people who say they finished the game in 2 - 3 hours either didn't finish it or are over exaggerating , because not one puzzle got me stuck although 1 or 2 puzzles took a quite a bit of time to get right even though i knew what to do) the length didnt bother me because the game didnt need to be longer if there were alot more puzzles it would become tedious and becomes a bit boring, if they had to make it longer there would need to be much more variation in gameplay such as the ability to also shoot or more variation in puzzles. The story was kept very simple, there basically was no story but that wasnt a problem because I didnt see Portal as full game but more as a mini-game and as a incentive to the Orange Box. The visuals were as good as they needed to be and were quite good for 2007, the voice acting in my opinion was not very good and became a bit annoying at times. A lot of the "Humorous" parts of the game I just didnt find funny at all except the whole story about the "cake" . Overall all a very fun and well thought out game and I hope the Portal 2 will be even better. 8/10 for a full game and 10/10 for a mini-game. Expand
  70. Jul 5, 2011
    Valve you did it again, you created a whole new idea to add you your arsenal are games this game along with portal 2 are just a must have must experience game worth the 50$ but i'm patience and waited for the summer sale 30$ =p
  71. May 21, 2012
    An amazing and Innovative game, yeah its short but hell it has more fun then a lot of big games (CoD).
    GLaDOS is awesome and very funny, the puzzles aren't to easy but they are also not frustratingly hard.
    This is a must buy for anyone who hasn't played it yet and a could game to go back and play again.
  72. Feb 25, 2015
    Portal is sheer brilliance. The gameplay is amazing and innovative, it has hilarious humor, and a good plot. Literally the only big issue is how short it is.
  73. Oct 1, 2013
    Portal is such an innovative and fun game. When this game came with The Orange Box, I wasn't sure what exactly I was getting into. From start to finish, you will have fun with the test chambers created by Valve. The only negative of this game is that this game is VERY short.
  74. Jun 25, 2014
    Everything has already been said on that game. It's a genius idea, it's funny as hell, it's relaxing. I got it for free and bought Portal 2 at full price to thank the creators of this game. Short lifespan but really worth it !
  75. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal is a fantastic puzzle game, unlike anything else you will ever play. Each level requires you to step back and look around a 'test chamber' before attempting to reach the exit. Along the way you'll have to move 'companion cubes' and get rid of turrets, all whilst being taunted and teased by Glados, arguably the most sinister, sarcastic and funny video game antagonists of all time.Portal is a fantastic puzzle game, unlike anything else you will ever play. Each level requires you to step back and look around a 'test chamber' before attempting to reach the exit. Along the way you'll have to move 'companion cubes' and get rid of turrets, all whilst being taunted and teased by Glados, arguably the most sinister, sarcastic and funny video game antagonists of all time. Some of the puzzles appear to be impossible before they have the simplest of solutions, armed with a 'portal' gun, you can shoot an entry and exit portal onto specific surfaces and you have to navigate your way through each chamber; you can gain speed by falling through them and reach impossible platforms by placing a portal in the right place. As you play you'll come to wonder how anyone could have come up with these puzzles, they are just so intelligent. 4/5, fantastic. Expand
  76. Nov 1, 2011
    Truly one of the best puzzle games ever with a good mix of humor sprinkled with a sense of urgency this game is mesmerizing. It draws you in and never lets go.
  77. May 19, 2012
    Portal is an amazing game with astoundingly innovative gameplay. It may be short, but it makes up for that with progressive difficulty and good humour.
  78. Sep 13, 2015
    A nice, innovative game made by Valve in 2007, and bundled in the orange box as part of a 3 game deal. Half Life 2 is a masterpiece, and TF2 was a Half Life 1 mod turned into a brand new multiplayer shooter, but Portal? No one knew what it was. The game had a unique feature of linking 2 portals to make a gateway. It's a surreal game, and it felt more like a tech demo, or teaser to theA nice, innovative game made by Valve in 2007, and bundled in the orange box as part of a 3 game deal. Half Life 2 is a masterpiece, and TF2 was a Half Life 1 mod turned into a brand new multiplayer shooter, but Portal? No one knew what it was. The game had a unique feature of linking 2 portals to make a gateway. It's a surreal game, and it felt more like a tech demo, or teaser to the second Portal to me. The game is very short. Unless if you get stuck on a puzzle or two, you could beat this game in under an hour. The puzzles are clever, but they don't get very hard. Not to mention that there are very few puzzles before you go off the path of the tests and deeper into Aperture Science. The boss fight is fun, although it isn't very hard. It's there to just reveal the main villain of the game, who speaks to you until you run into her and fight her at the end of the game. So, to repeat, not a very long game. We're talking 30 minutes if you choose to play it a second time. When you beat the game, you are treated to a passive aggressive song from the main villain of the game. In 2011, Valve released Portal 2, which is much longer, has an actual story about who you are and what you are doing, and the gameplay is expanded much much more. Not to mention how much harder it is compared to the first game. So, Portal 1, is it worth it? To be honest, 10 dollars was reasonable at the time of release, but really, I would only buy this if it were 5 dollars or less. Sure, it's fun and all, but it really just feels like an introduction to the second game, like the animated shorts that come on before pixar movies at the cinema, later to become a full fledged movie. So, Portal 2 is one of the best games ever made in my opinion, and Portal 1 is like an appetizer, a prologue or even a free sample that isn't really free. I will say though, that the game has become free for a weekend every now and then, and it even has deals where you can press purchase and have it for free to keep forever as long as you get it before the timer runs out. Really, this game is like a spoonful of the dessert we had to wait 4 years to finish. But, it's a great spoonful, and you haven't had the whole cake until you have that first spoonful before the rest of it. Or, the cake is a lie. Whichever you choose. Expand
  79. Dec 9, 2010
    A boring start that is needed for any great puzzle game, so that is irrelevant. Once you get past a few you will be laughing your but off in the fun lonely adventure of the aperture science research facility! Another great product from valve.
  80. May 10, 2012
    This game is why limited budgets and resources can create games of the highest quality. It's clear that we had a motivated and passionate team who poured their very hearts and souls into this game. They didn't waste resources on useless garbage. The Tutorial IS the gameplay. The story isn't played through boring cutscenes, you interact while the story is conveyed to you by theThis game is why limited budgets and resources can create games of the highest quality. It's clear that we had a motivated and passionate team who poured their very hearts and souls into this game. They didn't waste resources on useless garbage. The Tutorial IS the gameplay. The story isn't played through boring cutscenes, you interact while the story is conveyed to you by the antagonist, a hilarious AI.
    The gameplay is amazing and the physics are just stunning. I could not find a way to describe it..

This is revolutionary and simple. Hardcore gamers and Casual gamers will love this game. After this experience you will be buying all Valve games.
  81. Nov 4, 2015
    Portal is a very unique, interesting and fun game that challenges you in many different ways and is one of the best puzzle game series of all time. The only real problem with this game is its short length, but to be fair it is pretty cheap to buy, so its not that big a deal, so I would still recommend this game to anyone looking for a new, unique and fun time.
  82. Oct 23, 2015
    Una obra maestra, no es un 10 por la segunda parte. Hay que jugar los dos Portal si es que te gustan los videojuegos lo más mínimo. Indispensable. Queremos el 3.
  83. Oct 15, 2010
    Up till now there is no better, funnier storyline in computer-gaming. A breath of fresh air among the hundreds of games all following the same paths, managers left and right to stop anyone being original.
    Portal dares and succeeds on all fronts. GlaDos may be borrowed, but Clarke's/Kubrick's HAL9000 never was THAT funny. Plus she was in love with me....(did she bake that cake?)
  84. Sep 16, 2011
    Ellen McLain's performance in Portal 2 made her an instant hit with Valve fans. McLain shows an amazing talent with voice acting, and singing.

Portal, itself showed gamers a new way of thinking. It was rare to see a game that was so much fun without shooting everything in sight, which made Portal different from a general game. The storyline is brilliant and clever. Portal wasn't too short at all. It wasn't a game - It was a test. A test that did so well it got itself an amazing sequel that sold millions of copies. Those who gave Portal 10 would agree - Portal is a game you will never forget. Even when your old and senile.
  85. Mar 9, 2013
    When i first heard about Portal i was a bit sceptical. Could a game where you just place portals really be interesting or challenging? Yes it could. The game is lots of fun and even though the puzzles are't that hard they can still confuse you a bit every now and then. The game was pretty short though and there didn't really happen anything except solving tests in the first half of theWhen i first heard about Portal i was a bit sceptical. Could a game where you just place portals really be interesting or challenging? Yes it could. The game is lots of fun and even though the puzzles are't that hard they can still confuse you a bit every now and then. The game was pretty short though and there didn't really happen anything except solving tests in the first half of the game. Nevertheless a very nice game, i would recommend it to those that doesn't already have it. Expand
  86. Sep 3, 2010
    A very fun (and very short) little game, a FPS puzzle game, which is a genre I didn't enough know existed until now. This portal concept is something I would love to see in a straight puzzle game: no villains just tons and tons of puzzle maps to play would be amazing. However, I thought GLaDOS was a wonderful character (which is important, being the only one besides the player) who workedA very fun (and very short) little game, a FPS puzzle game, which is a genre I didn't enough know existed until now. This portal concept is something I would love to see in a straight puzzle game: no villains just tons and tons of puzzle maps to play would be amazing. However, I thought GLaDOS was a wonderful character (which is important, being the only one besides the player) who worked well as an insane killer robot. I barely fnished her off in the end, because I was having so much fun listening to her mocking dialog ("your file says you were adopted and you have no friends, ha ha!"). Highly recommend to anyone that likes puzzles or games that play with physics. Expand
  87. Apr 28, 2011
    A beautiful game, very interesting and clever. If someone haven't played this game, they must have been missed one of the greatest puzzle game of all time. If there is something to complain about this game, it must be its length (I wonder if I play too fast or the game is too short, but I play it less than 4h!). The game is very fun, perhaps some puzzle is very hard to solve but actuallyA beautiful game, very interesting and clever. If someone haven't played this game, they must have been missed one of the greatest puzzle game of all time. If there is something to complain about this game, it must be its length (I wonder if I play too fast or the game is too short, but I play it less than 4h!). The game is very fun, perhaps some puzzle is very hard to solve but actually there are several ways to pass a level. A great success project of Valve and let's check for the Portal 2 in someday!!! Expand
  88. Jul 17, 2011
    Portal is a great Puzzle Game. The Puzzles are Great, The Graphics are better then the Sequel, the Humour is good. And it may be short but once you beat it you unlock Advanced Maps, these are alot more Challenging and add even more fun. Portal continues to provide you with fun even after you've beaten it. It's a great Game, but my only Complaint would be the fact it's very short
  89. Jul 14, 2015
    This game is amazing, great graphics, great music, great humor, great gameplay, great everything, while it can get difficult at times, and it is short, this game is still a masterpiece.
  90. Aug 1, 2012
    This game's really good if you get it on sale on Steam. People who complain about how short the game is need to remember that this game was pretty much an afterthought in the Orange Box. It's a quick game. Not as difficult as Portal 2.
  91. Mar 9, 2012
    Purely superior in experience to the 2nd portal in every way. Great story, great player engagement, great pace of introducing new ideas. After playing this one, the 2nd one felt redundant and the story felt incredibly forced. They changed their mind on where they were taking this game when they patched the end cutscene to change from you being free to being dragged back inside .. thenPurely superior in experience to the 2nd portal in every way. Great story, great player engagement, great pace of introducing new ideas. After playing this one, the 2nd one felt redundant and the story felt incredibly forced. They changed their mind on where they were taking this game when they patched the end cutscene to change from you being free to being dragged back inside .. then sealed off the portal world from ever influencing the half-life world, which was very disappointing to say the least. That aside, a very fun game overall which I actually put probably about 20 or 30 hours into doing various advanced puzzles and repeating the game once or twice just because it was fun. Expand
  92. Apr 7, 2012
    In my humble opinion Portal represents the pinnacle of game design. With it's utterly unique and creative game mechanics, and intelligent level designs, Portal proves that a puzzle game can be much more enjoyable than the horde of First Person Shooters that dominate the gaming industry.
  93. Nov 6, 2014
    Although short, "Portal" is a gaming experience unlike any other. Mind bending puzzles, clean style, innovative portal mechanics and one of the best antagonist in a video game, this game will strike your heart and make you beg for more. Good news is, the sequel is even better.

For the full review, check out "BathroomGamers" on YouTube :)
  94. Jun 5, 2014
    It's short and sweet. One of my favorite games. It's so much more than a creative puzzle game. The story is fantastic, so don't you dare play without the sound.
  95. Koo
    Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. Even if you have Portal 2 I would recommend playing the original Portal. After a challenging first run through the test chambers you are treated to (surprisingly interesting) developer commentary. Additionally, there are a number of bonus maps. While not everyone will like the game's humour, I did, and any motion sickness you may experience by travelling through the portals can be solved by limiting your game time to 2 hours or less. Disorientation and motion sickness caused by travelling through the portals is the only downside to this game in my view. For the game itself though, I rate it 10/10. Expand
  96. Jun 5, 2012
    Oh man do I love this game. It's funny, it's cute, it's challenging (sometimes frustratingly so), and just an overall good game. It takes a little while sometimes to get used to the "thinking with portals" thing, but once you do the game is amazing. My biggest complaint (and probably my only one) is the fact that it's a jumping puzzle game but I can't see my character's feet. So I have noOh man do I love this game. It's funny, it's cute, it's challenging (sometimes frustratingly so), and just an overall good game. It takes a little while sometimes to get used to the "thinking with portals" thing, but once you do the game is amazing. My biggest complaint (and probably my only one) is the fact that it's a jumping puzzle game but I can't see my character's feet. So I have no idea where I'm jumping to. Granted, the first-person view added to the game, I just get super frustrated when I go to jump somewhere and... Oh, I jumped completely past it when I thought i was on it. Lovely. Valve has a tendency to do this, unfortunately. But other than that, this game was beautiful and unbelievably fun. Expand
  97. Nov 24, 2012
    Extremely fun and charming. This game is a classic that must be played. Yeah, it may be short, but for a $3 game that any computer can run, you should not miss out on this
  98. Dec 20, 2012
    A puzzle game with about 2 to 3 hours of gameplay. I am not a puzzle gamer though I enjoyed it because the puzzle challenge was doable and short enough before I start going asdjf;alsdjf;las on my keyboard. So if you are looking for a game that is different to what you normally play, pick this up when it goes on sale.
  99. May 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favourite games. The portal mechanics were unique and well-coded. The story was amazing. The cake became a meme for a reason. The extra levels were also really challenging and kept me playing it for a lot more time.

What I never got into me is the companion cube. I burned the sucka the moment I was instructed to and never got in any way attached to it. Was I even supposed to get attached to it? Who cares anyway.
  100. Jan 3, 2012
    The best game made since Tetris. Surreal, complex, with all the goodies of an indie but the backing of (who else?) Valve, all but devoid of violence, with elements of sarcastic dark humor and relaxing cuteness mixed with fearful suspense and tongue-in-cheek moments of LoLs for a story you really have to dig at to comprehend. Short, yes, but there's only so much you can do without eitherThe best game made since Tetris. Surreal, complex, with all the goodies of an indie but the backing of (who else?) Valve, all but devoid of violence, with elements of sarcastic dark humor and relaxing cuteness mixed with fearful suspense and tongue-in-cheek moments of LoLs for a story you really have to dig at to comprehend. Short, yes, but there's only so much you can do without either becoming repetitive, becoming repetitive, or throwing the average and below players at a brick wall and saying "climb." Voice acting is all done by one person if you can believe that, and the song at the end is the very definition of a cult classic. And as Yahtzee said in his review of the sequel, the only real complain that exists is the annoying fanbase who can't keep their grubby little paws off of something in order to keep it sacred. Hobbes was right. Expand

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.