Portal PC

9.3

1. Chris
    Oct 13, 2007
    Portal was what sold me on the concept of the orange box, honestly. The concept behind portal greatly intrigued me to begin with. When I finally downloaded it off of steam and played it, I was not disappointed.

The game starts out slowly, teaching you about portals, and the tutorial goes by quite smoothly. It was during this tutorial that I first learned about the awesome that is the AI "GLaDOS". GLaD's comments became increasingly more amusing as time went on, and nearing the end, she only became better. The ending, too, was truly satisfying. Few games end with a specially made song. Especially such a catchy one.

The combination of fun gameplay, fun story, and the best AI ever (Shodan can't even hold a candle to GLaDOS) propell this game to be.. well... among the best games I've ever played. My only problem is how short it is. Not worth 20, necessarily, but as part of the orange box, it is quite worth it, and I strongly encourage people to play it. Remember, the cake is a lie.
  2. MarselI.
    May 18, 2010
    I am here to explain to anyone who dosen't like this game why they're wrong. *The game is short. Damn agreed. *It holds your hand through the entire game Dowload maps, they are fun and provide you with infinite playtime. *The "puzzles" are not really puzzles Agreed, but read above. *the humour is terrible. Are you from this planet man?
  3. aaronyaninek
    Nov 11, 2007
    the best games of all time ! valve comes through again with a game i could not set down ! 2.5 hours of pure fun and addiction. a perfect world setting and use of there physics engine level layout and story, with a perfect twist. not to forget there computer voiced narrator that adds a few well placed lols.
    i cant wait for the sequals.. im not going to ruin ..but those who have played and beat the HL2 series. specificly episode 2 ill know what im looking forward too.
  4. IsaacW.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Holy crap, I've never been so addicted to a game in my LIFE, and I've played hundreds of 'em! I literally could not leave my computer until I had beaten it and figured out all the puzzles for myself.... AMAZING gameplay, and quite humorous as well, I might add! (listen to "Still Alive" during the credits....lol!).
  5. Dave
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game is completely underrated by the media. Yes, the main storyline is only about 3-4 hours long. But, the advanced modes provide *many* extra hours of fun. I keep going back to this game because it's so fun to experiment with - I wonder if someone will add the portal gun to Gary's Mod (maybe they have already!). Also, the story to this game is great.
  6. JimBrannick
    Oct 15, 2007
    It may just be that the humor is an exact fit for mine, but this was one of the most hilarious games I've ever played. Just amazingly good from a plot/naration standpoint and the game itself, the puzzles, the portals, are tons of fun. I really wish it were longer. Maybe a sequel! The cake is a lie!!
  7. TheodoreRobinson
    Oct 15, 2007
    Pure genius. The most innovative, funny, fun, FPP (First Person Puzzler) ever. The corperate rags are clueless about what a blast this game is for gamers. From the twisted, oddly endearing AI GLaDOS, to the truly unique puzzels that requirer fine motor skills, and out side the cubical thinking. Not to forget it's a bonus game. Here's to Valve, and a Grammy for Still Alive. GetPure genius. The most innovative, funny, fun, FPP (First Person Puzzler) ever. The corperate rags are clueless about what a blast this game is for gamers. From the twisted, oddly endearing AI GLaDOS, to the truly unique puzzels that requirer fine motor skills, and out side the cubical thinking. Not to forget it's a bonus game. Here's to Valve, and a Grammy for Still Alive. Get it. Play it, and life will never be the same. Expand
  8. DanKeppel
    Oct 16, 2007
    This game was crazy fun. It took me a few minutes, as well as a few tries, to figure out some of the puzzles, but I got them all eventually. Very fun to make a portal on the ceiling and the floor and fall continuously. The only way this game could have been more fun is if it was an online multi-player shooter. (wink wink nudge nudge)
  9. TheMulroneycakesIsALie
    Oct 17, 2007
    Aaaahhh....I can't remember when I last loved a game more. Actually loved a game. Sure, it's short, but it's also brilliantly original, incredibly intuitive, hard without being enraging, and most importantly it's the funniest game since Ron Gilbert's Good and Evil was released in a just and fair parallel universe. I hereby nominate Ellen McClain for an Emmy, orAaaahhh....I can't remember when I last loved a game more. Actually loved a game. Sure, it's short, but it's also brilliantly original, incredibly intuitive, hard without being enraging, and most importantly it's the funniest game since Ron Gilbert's Good and Evil was released in a just and fair parallel universe. I hereby nominate Ellen McClain for an Emmy, or something. Oh, and a Grammy. All games should give you this much actual delight. Play it. Play it twice. And when the credits have rolled, let the menu screen play out for about thirty seconds. Trust me. Expand
  10. JacobBates
    Oct 17, 2007
    Absolutely amazing!

It starts off a little slow, especially if you've already played Narbacular Drop or played with the portal gun in Garry's Mod. After the intro levels, the puzzle action really gets interesting, and you start getting sucked into the game quite a bit. The story is pretty simple, but there is a ton of character, a few surprises, and a great ending. Plus,
    Absolutely amazing!

The story is pretty simple, but there is a ton of character, a few surprises, and a great ending. Plus, even after you finish the game, there are bonus levels and challenge modes to keep you coming back for more!
  11. VICE
    Oct 21, 2007
    The Portal team certainly deserves a standing-O for their work on this game. This was a Triumph! I encountered no bugs. I could have finished it sooner, but I enjoyed taking time to search through each possible move. I hope Valve makes more maps for Portal, and releases a map editor. Hey how about 3 Portals at once... Thank You Portal Team, for this enrichment center activity. Now I'mThe Portal team certainly deserves a standing-O for their work on this game. This was a Triumph! I encountered no bugs. I could have finished it sooner, but I enjoyed taking time to search through each possible move. I hope Valve makes more maps for Portal, and releases a map editor. Hey how about 3 Portals at once... Thank You Portal Team, for this enrichment center activity. Now I'm going to have some Cake! Expand
  12. TiagoMag
    Oct 20, 2007
    The game does deserve a 10. It´s short but if you look at it as an extra to the entire HL2 collection you get on the Orange Box - I´ll say its a fantastic surprise.
    Plus, the game as a story, a really deep one.: there is obcessive passion from a machine with sentimental dislexia and you kill your best friend (I´m missing you crazy, Companion Cube...) THE CAKE IS NOT A LIE!
  13. DoisK.
    Oct 12, 2007
    The "official" website reviews, I'd say, are drastic understatements. This game marries wonderfully joyful gameplay with an intruiging story that will leave you wanting to finish it the moment you begin the game. Along with that, the humour incorporated is simply golden and there are moments where we can really laugh out loud. Also, its 3 hour long lifespan, to me, is very The "official" website reviews, I'd say, are drastic understatements. This game marries wonderfully joyful gameplay with an intruiging story that will leave you wanting to finish it the moment you begin the game. Along with that, the humour incorporated is simply golden and there are moments where we can really laugh out loud. Also, its 3 hour long lifespan, to me, is very appropriate. Too long and the game would have lost its novelty. With all that said, it was honestly the best 3 hours of my life. Do not miss this masterpiece. Expand
  14. JeyhmisGoodmane
    Oct 13, 2007
    Portal is truly an unassuming kind of game, what with it's seemingly simple story and the lack detail. However, the further you go, the more eerie things get, with a good twist and some ingenious ideas. I would have appreciated some more "long jumping" and chain jumping, but overall, Valve did a lovely job!
  15. TomS.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Portal is one of the best games of the year. Its game play is superb and a new invation to gaming.
  16. DaveV.D.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Seriously the greatest FPS experience I've ever played. plot progression, characterisation, gameplay, technical achievement, feeling of success on completion of tasks and ending.. Superb.
  17. MathiasRav
    Oct 15, 2007
    Portal is the perfect fusion of Valve's Source engine and the students at Nuclear Monkey's Narbacular Drop. Portal has a great storyline which was a lot better and deeper than I'd expected - the added "Achievements" and Bonus levels (6 advanced levels and 3 disciplines (least steps, least portals, least time) as challenges in the 6 levels) give enough extra playtime toPortal is the perfect fusion of Valve's Source engine and the students at Nuclear Monkey's Narbacular Drop. Portal has a great storyline which was a lot better and deeper than I'd expected - the added "Achievements" and Bonus levels (6 advanced levels and 3 disciplines (least steps, least portals, least time) as challenges in the 6 levels) give enough extra playtime to justify for the short story mode. I really hope Portal will have a successor; luckily, you can hear a few lines in the developer commentary mode talking about the Black Mesa versus Aperture relationship that will be explained more in-depth than in the first release of Portal.
    Portal has already provided me with lots of fun (and nightmares from the creepy GLaDOS) - I still have some challenges to fulfil and some moves to master, so it's a 10 from me.
  18. RyanMassey
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game ranks as one of the best to be released this year, with a lot of contenders to compete with. Granted, Episode 2, Bioshock and several others will still rank higher and hold more appeal and replay, Portal is still probably a greater game because of what it represented and what it does rather than itself alone. The gameplay mechanics were awesome, but it was short and left youThis game ranks as one of the best to be released this year, with a lot of contenders to compete with. Granted, Episode 2, Bioshock and several others will still rank higher and hold more appeal and replay, Portal is still probably a greater game because of what it represented and what it does rather than itself alone. The gameplay mechanics were awesome, but it was short and left you really wanting to take this idea to the next level. At the moment, it feels like a super demo for the technology of the portal gun. The cool part about it is that it'll appeal to a larger crowd than the FPS players. Casual gamers will find it highly appealing, though perhaps not at the individual price it's being offered given that casual gamers will probably not be drawn to Team Fortress 2 or Half-Life 2 or its episodes. Expand
  19. k9bolx
    Oct 19, 2007
    Im not sure if many of these people have truly completed the game or not. Once past the initial 16 levels you really need to start thinking in order get through an obsticle. I think it really adds a mental component to a game instead of "simply shoot everything that walks"
  20. TheLizardofOdd
    Dec 30, 2008
    A game that combines first person shooters, puzzles, wormhole physics, cute 'n happy robots that try to kill you, and cake (be it a lie or not) . . . Truly, there is no comparison. Valve continues to prove that true creativity and innovation still exist. Perhaps humanity -is- worth saving... for use in scientific experiments anywho.
  21. Anonymous
    Oct 24, 2008
    An EXCELLENT game, a great combination of action and a Puzzle game. Casual players may have some problems getting by certain levels, especially challenge levels. Besides even if you don't love the game its worth playing just to hear GLaDOS talk. GLaDOS will have you cracking up every level, especially in certaiin levls near the end.
  22. Oct 26, 2012
    its a very short game but fun as hell, very original and funny. it takes a no more than 30 minutes to get into the game, but than its very easy, exept the puzzles thats on a personal level for each, for me they were mostly easy. the game felt very empty, with only 1 living characters and only gladis and here heads talking, it felt just, empty. exept the short gameplay and lack of voicesits a very short game but fun as hell, very original and funny. it takes a no more than 30 minutes to get into the game, but than its very easy, exept the puzzles thats on a personal level for each, for me they were mostly easy. the game felt very empty, with only 1 living characters and only gladis and here heads talking, it felt just, empty. exept the short gameplay and lack of voices and characters its a must play game, one best 100 of the past 10 years for sure. and being made by valve its easy to understand how it got such succses Expand
  23. LaurensS.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Great game with fantastic ideas, and expert maps for those of us which finished the game after an hour ;).
  24. BenjaminE.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This genius game shows once more that a first-person-shooter like game doesn't have to be bloody at all. The gameplay is a big step towards a futuristic idea and makes players change the way they approach those specific problems. Even though it is the same concept throughout the whole game, it does not get boring at all and the guiding, smart but evilish voice with that bit of irony This genius game shows once more that a first-person-shooter like game doesn't have to be bloody at all. The gameplay is a big step towards a futuristic idea and makes players change the way they approach those specific problems. Even though it is the same concept throughout the whole game, it does not get boring at all and the guiding, smart but evilish voice with that bit of irony that accompanies you all the way to the end is yet another great feature. Releasing the game within the Orange Box together with half life 2: episode two was a great idea. All thumbs straight up. Expand
  25. Akira
    Aug 3, 2009
    I love this game. GLaDOS was hilarious the entire time, and the levels are a great way to think in new ways. Often I knew exactly how to get past something, but it would take seven or more tries to get the execution right, witch only made success more sweet. And to those of you who don't like Portal, go back to your regular, unintelligent shooters, and waste your time on another I love this game. GLaDOS was hilarious the entire time, and the levels are a great way to think in new ways. Often I knew exactly how to get past something, but it would take seven or more tries to get the execution right, witch only made success more sweet. And to those of you who don't like Portal, go back to your regular, unintelligent shooters, and waste your time on another world war two game. And, Nicholas C., if you really finished the game, you wouldn't get a loading screen, but a video followed by the endsong should make it obvious when the game is truly over. Expand
  26. KyronD.
    Oct 11, 2007
    One of the most amazing original and unique games I have ever played, sure i completed it in roughly 3 hours, but it was the greatest 3 hours I have spent playing a game, and it had hints of humour and witiness all the way through, Brilliance.
  27. JarrodL.
    Oct 11, 2007
    This is probably the most unique and refreshing games I have ever played and brings thought and puzzles as contrast to the intense and fast paced HL2:EP2 along with team fortress this presents a great alternative to the other two when you just need a little break. Totally awesome and completely fun even if it is a little short. (3 hours)
  28. DavidK.
    Oct 11, 2007
    What a great game, stylish, funny, and although short none the worse because of it.
  29. MopeyN.
    Oct 11, 2007
    One of the most innovative and funniest games, ever. When I first played it, I thought it'll be some kind of beta and no real story behind it. That's the idea you got from all the trailers and pics. But it's not true: The game is very entertaining and the idea amazingly cool. I always wanted to shoot my own portals. Prey was a good (third party) start and Portal made it One of the most innovative and funniest games, ever. When I first played it, I thought it'll be some kind of beta and no real story behind it. That's the idea you got from all the trailers and pics. But it's not true: The game is very entertaining and the idea amazingly cool. I always wanted to shoot my own portals. Prey was a good (third party) start and Portal made it legendary. The few bad things about the game itself, at least the "campaign", is that it's very very short. Personally, it took me 3 to 4 hours - and I call myself a good player. After that, you might want to replay it with commentary on - very informative stuff! Challenges, as in beating the levels in an advanced style or time/portal/step-challenges rescues the game. And eventual level-editor and community-support will round it up to a very good 10. Go get it if you didn't, yet! Expand
  30. MattH.
    Oct 12, 2007
    This is the most innovative game I have ever played and I highly enjoy it. The graphics are good, the game play is amazing, and I personally find the narrator to be hilarious.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.