Portal PC

9.3

1. LaurensS.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Great game with fantastic ideas, and expert maps for those of us which finished the game after an hour ;).
  2. TaylorR.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic game! And the song at the end (still alive) just makes you want to play it again, and agan, and again! I would recommend it to anyone!
  3. JeremyF.
    Jul 8, 2008
    best game ever!!! this game is a bit addicting so be warned! AMAZING story line but it is a bit short. Its fun to just mess around at any random place. Hours of fun and easy laughs. Great custom maps and plenty of them. This IS my fav game of all time! 11 out of 10!!!
  4. EddieD
    Oct 28, 2009
    I love games that make you think. For years one of my favourite games was Myst, as it took you beyond just the shoot-em-up genre and into the realm of puzzle solving. Now Portal comes along and elevates puzzle playing to a higher level! To say that the game is great would be an understatement. It's both easy and hard at the same time. Easy, as the amount of "weapons" that you need to I love games that make you think. For years one of my favourite games was Myst, as it took you beyond just the shoot-em-up genre and into the realm of puzzle solving. Now Portal comes along and elevates puzzle playing to a higher level! To say that the game is great would be an understatement. It's both easy and hard at the same time. Easy, as the amount of "weapons" that you need to master is limited to just one - the Portal. However, it's also difficult as you need to sometimes do three or more things at once to complete a level! All I have to say is that I love everything about the game. And GLaDOS has to be one of the greatest uses of AI to have ever been created. Ellen needs to be commended 1,000 times over for doing such a wonderfully believable job with the voice! Expand
  5. MiroB.
    Nov 2, 2007
    The best logical game ever, beautifuly put in the first-person view. Engine and graphics are great and it does not have too high hardware requirements. Plot is interesting. The game is made more fun by GLaD, who often sais funny things. However, some challenges are little imbalanced, but that's not bad, because when you complete them, you are proud of yourself.
  6. BenjaminE.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This genius game shows once more that a first-person-shooter like game doesn't have to be bloody at all. The gameplay is a big step towards a futuristic idea and makes players change the way they approach those specific problems. Even though it is the same concept throughout the whole game, it does not get boring at all and the guiding, smart but evilish voice with that bit of irony This genius game shows once more that a first-person-shooter like game doesn't have to be bloody at all. The gameplay is a big step towards a futuristic idea and makes players change the way they approach those specific problems. Even though it is the same concept throughout the whole game, it does not get boring at all and the guiding, smart but evilish voice with that bit of irony that accompanies you all the way to the end is yet another great feature. Releasing the game within the Orange Box together with half life 2: episode two was a great idea. All thumbs straight up. Expand
  7. BlakeB
    Brilliant.
  8. MattS.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Absolutely amazing!!! i loved this game. it made me think, it was tough but not to tough funny. valve people are btrards haha CAKE! anyway i will play this game over to see how fast i can do it. challenge maps are good. awards?!! what more do you want? sound track is awesome! end song haha! THIS GAME ROCKS i hope they can make a sequel some how.
  9. YakumoU.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Absolutely awesome, most innovative, fun game I've played in years, and certainly the most enjoyable ending sequence I've seen in probably the last 5, after finishing most AAA titles. fantastic sense of humour, and overall production.
  10. ScottH.
    Oct 28, 2007
    The only criticism I can honestly aim at this unique and addictive game is it is far, far to short. Other than that, Portal offers a refreshing change in first person gaming. A more cereberal approach is offered instead of mindless hallway strafing and machinegun spraying. I am eagerly awaiting a sequel to this hilariously dark and twisted game. Classic.
  11. CapnB.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Takes a great concept and really makes it work. Multiple solutions, visual cues, and a great autosave system make this unlike other puzzle games where you bash your head against the desk trying to figure out what the designer wanted you to do, or sets you back an hour when you mess up. I actually laughed out loud several times from the mater-of-factly humor of GlaDOS and those cute sentry Takes a great concept and really makes it work. Multiple solutions, visual cues, and a great autosave system make this unlike other puzzle games where you bash your head against the desk trying to figure out what the designer wanted you to do, or sets you back an hour when you mess up. I actually laughed out loud several times from the mater-of-factly humor of GlaDOS and those cute sentry robots. Including the commentary was also a great way to get me to play the whole game again, right after I finished it! Expand
  12. MontyF.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Goosebumpy fun. This was an absolute joy to play, from start to finish. It is super short, but think of the potential. Portal is the first game that ever motivated me to post a review!
  13. AngusS.
    Jan 1, 2008
    THE BEST GAME I have played all year. Admittedly it was over all too quickly, I think 8 hours total play time to complete the standard 19 environments, but the game itself is outstanding. Totally original, excellnt atmosphere and feel, and very very involving. I have never played anything quite like it, and on originality alone it deserves 10 out of 10. The game is an 'environmental THE BEST GAME I have played all year. Admittedly it was over all too quickly, I think 8 hours total play time to complete the standard 19 environments, but the game itself is outstanding. Totally original, excellnt atmosphere and feel, and very very involving. I have never played anything quite like it, and on originality alone it deserves 10 out of 10. The game is an 'environmental puzzle game' where you use judgement, skill and 'portals' to pass through the levels. All I can say is buy this game and enjoy the most original game in a VERY long time. Expand
  14. MatthewR.
    Jan 3, 2008
    The game is brilliant, the monologue hilarious. Yes, it is short, but try and get the best score on the challenge setting for all three categories, and you'll be at it for hours and hours and hours, many of those frustration, until finally the ultimate reward: Success. I think anyone and everyone will delight in this game.
  15. AaronM.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Outstanding game. Truly original, and will be remembered as a pioneering experience. When do we get Portal 2?!
  16. Anonymous
    Oct 4, 2008
    Portal has so much more to it than some tend to think! Not only does it include the amazing normal single-player (which I played through about 20 times) but it has the bonus content which adds more challenging puzzles to solve. On top of that, you can easily download maps from other people for a nearly endless experience! I'm not even going to mention the possibilities in Hammer or Portal has so much more to it than some tend to think! Not only does it include the amazing normal single-player (which I played through about 20 times) but it has the bonus content which adds more challenging puzzles to solve. On top of that, you can easily download maps from other people for a nearly endless experience! I'm not even going to mention the possibilities in Hammer or Gmod with the Portal set. Expand
  17. CraigD.
    Jan 5, 2008
    Portal is incredible. This can not be stated enough. While HL does take though, it is does not require the dimensional thinking in which Portal does. While, yes it is short and one can power their way through it in a few hours, every game is like this once you get the hang of it. Portal is unique and I am very excited to see what Valve does with it next.
  18. Lobo
    Jan 9, 2008
    THE game. It`s short indeed, but the best hours i had in my life (playing games). My wife just can`t stand no more me talking about this game! Fun, brilliant history, hillarious lines, and conected with Half Life! Ah, as my MSN quote says, i loved the cake! Sooooo delicious!
  19. MarkusD.
    Feb 3, 2008
    It's a fantastic game with nice puzzles. It took some time til finishing them all. but it was worth it to "waste some time" with this awesome game.
  20. BrandonR.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Of all the games I've ever played, Portal is my all-time favorite right now.
  21. PatrickG.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Best shooter ever!
  22. GuyN.
    Mar 6, 2008
    AMAZING!!!! One of the best games I played ever. Loved the song in the end.
  23. MichaelR
    Mar 9, 2008
    I have been playing games since I was 6 years old so I know a good game when I play one and portal is a good game. sure it was short but you have to see past the actually game, you can do so many things to have fun in this game other than playing the actual game and that is one of the things that make this game unique and truly fun to play which, unfortunately, is rare these days.
  24. CheapC.
    Apr 1, 2008
    Before I ever played Portal, a friend told me "The cake is a lie". After hearing this I had an entirely different idea for what the plot my be, including details and twists in the story. Then I played portal and it was completely different than what I had pictured. A gentle learning curve, sparingly using time-based puzzles, a beautifully designed new game mechanic (portal gun) combine Before I ever played Portal, a friend told me "The cake is a lie". After hearing this I had an entirely different idea for what the plot my be, including details and twists in the story. Then I played portal and it was completely different than what I had pictured. A gentle learning curve, sparingly using time-based puzzles, a beautifully designed new game mechanic (portal gun) combine with the clean, uncluttered design of the levels and the mysterious (yet uncomplicated) plot to make the atmosphere foreboding and simultaneously appealing in it's straightforward cleverness. The voice on the intercom provides what would otherwise go lacking: the steel-hearted humor that's provided by the advertisements, directions, hints, and other phrases that are delivered by the player's observer. One of the only faults I can find is with the challenge levels which I feel are completely off the deep end in terms of difficulty. However, even this fault balances out the only other possible problem, which is how short the game is. These challenges are so difficult they extend the amount of playtime for someone who enjoys the game but becomes bored of reliving the story over and over. Portal is a game I already cherish. Don't believe me? I'll put you on... *OOOoooooo* Hear that? That's how dumb you sound! Expand
  25. Kent
    Apr 25, 2008
    This is possibly one of the most innovative games ever created. It is a great idea that is beautifully executed. It's an awesome puzzle game, and it's even pretty funny. Although there is a lack of texture, it A) fits with the concept and B) is not so boring that you get tired of it. Interesting story and an awesome engine that is great fun to play around with (see a hundred This is possibly one of the most innovative games ever created. It is a great idea that is beautifully executed. It's an awesome puzzle game, and it's even pretty funny. Although there is a lack of texture, it A) fits with the concept and B) is not so boring that you get tired of it. Interesting story and an awesome engine that is great fun to play around with (see a hundred versions of yourself, awesome!). Anyone who reviewed this badly has either done it because they think it needs enemies in it (please explain how that would work...please) its a puzzle game for goodness sake, not a shooter. The rest of the bad reviews are based around the fact that it is too short, firstly it is about half the price of a normal game (and with the orange box it is even less) and secondly things like the achievements and challenges add to the replay value. it is a great game, that explores a really interesting concept. Expand
  26. ArdithM.
    Apr 29, 2008
    I have a very short attention span- it usually takes me days, even *months* to finish a single game. I played Portal in one sitting. got dinner. started again. Thank goodness for a game that finally really made think.
  27. NikkiroxH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Its the first game I've actually finished on PC. I usually get bored of games during game play, but not this one. It was short, but it was incredibly funny. Cracked me up when she was singing at the end. I like cake.
  28. GeorgeT.
    Apr 7, 2008
    The best and most addictive game I've ever played. And the Credit Song is phenomenal.
  29. ShaginjiT.
    Apr 7, 2008
    This game must be one of my favorites, funny from beginning to end, intelligent, and how you must understand physics and puzzles or in other words be more cynical and intelligent to know what your doing. True you do not have to be that cynical and intelligent but its nice to see a game that at least has that element. I give this a 10, and it has made my favorite games list.
  30. LucasS.
    May 9, 2008
    It's the best game I've ever played! I hope that Valve make more levels for this game..!!! WoW!!!
  31. CurtP.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Too short, but awesome gameplay.
  32. TomG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Short, but a damn fun game from beginning to end. If you don't think your PC can run it, you need 256MB of RAM instead of 512. I ran the game at low detail and the levels load within eight seconds.
  33. DaveR
    Jul 7, 2008
    Great game. Good puzzles, funny running commentary. I loved the computer taunting you once you go "off-course".
  34. SteveE.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Awesome game!!!! anyone looking for a fun puzzle game look no futrher!!
  35. GregG.
    Aug 30, 2008
    Portal is one of the best puzzle games of all time, and because it runs off of Source, you know the physics are as real as they are going to get. Simply put, when you reach the last level, you will want to play the game all over again. Say "Hi" to GLADoS for me while your in there.
  36. AlexisP
    Aug 6, 2008
    Funny, surprising, artistic. One of my best digital adventures.
  37. KikB.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Portal is an amazing game! It was fun! I was really satisfied when I finished the game. Now a lot would say that the main problem with Portal is it's length. I thought the length was just right, because if it was longer, it would get repetitive. My only gripe with Portal is that I found a few glitches, but that's just it. So Portal is one of my favourite games that I've Portal is an amazing game! It was fun! I was really satisfied when I finished the game. Now a lot would say that the main problem with Portal is it's length. I thought the length was just right, because if it was longer, it would get repetitive. My only gripe with Portal is that I found a few glitches, but that's just it. So Portal is one of my favourite games that I've played. Now they should make sequel, if they have the time. Expand
  38. Akira
    Aug 3, 2009
    I love this game. GLaDOS was hilarious the entire time, and the levels are a great way to think in new ways. Often I knew exactly how to get past something, but it would take seven or more tries to get the execution right, witch only made success more sweet. And to those of you who don't like Portal, go back to your regular, unintelligent shooters, and waste your time on another I love this game. GLaDOS was hilarious the entire time, and the levels are a great way to think in new ways. Often I knew exactly how to get past something, but it would take seven or more tries to get the execution right, witch only made success more sweet. And to those of you who don't like Portal, go back to your regular, unintelligent shooters, and waste your time on another world war two game. And, Nicholas C., if you really finished the game, you wouldn't get a loading screen, but a video followed by the endsong should make it obvious when the game is truly over. Expand
  39. AndrewA
    Jan 21, 2010
    Portal is an excellent example of fun with no strings attached. It's enjoyable and compelling without the the need of the "ZOMG I kill big boss zombie thing, I is win" factor. It may be short and simple but that just adds to the charm of the game, making it not too demanding on the player whilst still expecting a certain amount of creative imput. Being very clever with both the level Portal is an excellent example of fun with no strings attached. It's enjoyable and compelling without the the need of the "ZOMG I kill big boss zombie thing, I is win" factor. It may be short and simple but that just adds to the charm of the game, making it not too demanding on the player whilst still expecting a certain amount of creative imput. Being very clever with both the level designs and the witty, dark humored dialoge of GLaDOS, It's a game you can play a million times and still want to play it a million more. Expand
  40. BaileyB
    Jan 3, 2010
    this is a very original game; it's not very often that one can play through a game again and again, knowing how everything goes, and still love it.
  41. HaraldW
    Jan 3, 2010
    Portal is a lot of fun , bought this game instantly after passing the demo and see it as a worth while game. Not a shooter but a puzzle game with backwards thinking needed. Play the demo if you are unsure :) Maybe they make a Portal 2 ? I would definitly approve.
  42. JohnG
    Mar 11, 2010
    I don't know if I have ever played a better computer game in my life. Combining elements from Half Life 2 and other Sci-Fi fantasys this should be the first computer game or the ONLY computer game you ever buy. This is one of the only games that combines your ability to solve problems in an action packed game without getting killed by a sinister robot that lures you in with cake, no I don't know if I have ever played a better computer game in my life. Combining elements from Half Life 2 and other Sci-Fi fantasys this should be the first computer game or the ONLY computer game you ever buy. This is one of the only games that combines your ability to solve problems in an action packed game without getting killed by a sinister robot that lures you in with cake, no joke. I dont know if you could ever think other of Valves incredible game. Expand
  43. IsaacW.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Holy crap, I've never been so addicted to a game in my LIFE, and I've played hundreds of 'em! I literally could not leave my computer until I had beaten it and figured out all the puzzles for myself.... AMAZING gameplay, and quite humorous as well, I might add! (listen to "Still Alive" during the credits....lol!).
  44. KyronD.
    Oct 11, 2007
    One of the most amazing original and unique games I have ever played, sure i completed it in roughly 3 hours, but it was the greatest 3 hours I have spent playing a game, and it had hints of humour and witiness all the way through, Brilliance.
  45. JarrodL.
    Oct 11, 2007
    This is probably the most unique and refreshing games I have ever played and brings thought and puzzles as contrast to the intense and fast paced HL2:EP2 along with team fortress this presents a great alternative to the other two when you just need a little break. Totally awesome and completely fun even if it is a little short. (3 hours)
  46. DavidK.
    Oct 11, 2007
    What a great game, stylish, funny, and although short none the worse because of it.
  47. MopeyN.
    Oct 11, 2007
    One of the most innovative and funniest games, ever. When I first played it, I thought it'll be some kind of beta and no real story behind it. That's the idea you got from all the trailers and pics. But it's not true: The game is very entertaining and the idea amazingly cool. I always wanted to shoot my own portals. Prey was a good (third party) start and Portal made it One of the most innovative and funniest games, ever. When I first played it, I thought it'll be some kind of beta and no real story behind it. That's the idea you got from all the trailers and pics. But it's not true: The game is very entertaining and the idea amazingly cool. I always wanted to shoot my own portals. Prey was a good (third party) start and Portal made it legendary. The few bad things about the game itself, at least the "campaign", is that it's very very short. Personally, it took me 3 to 4 hours - and I call myself a good player. After that, you might want to replay it with commentary on - very informative stuff! Challenges, as in beating the levels in an advanced style or time/portal/step-challenges rescues the game. And eventual level-editor and community-support will round it up to a very good 10. Go get it if you didn't, yet! Expand
  48. MattH.
    Oct 12, 2007
    This is the most innovative game I have ever played and I highly enjoy it. The graphics are good, the game play is amazing, and I personally find the narrator to be hilarious.
  49. EdmundW.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Funniest game I've ever played.
  50. JoshK.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Very fun and yet very unique game. It was only a 3 hour game but had I fun the whole time. After beating the game I wanted more puzzles. The bonus levels helped a bit but I wanted more unique levels. I hope they make a portal 2 and find a way to do some co-op and multiplayer. The ending was the best .
  51. GeorgeG.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Portal is an extremely brilliant game. While I think the learning curve was too gentle, the puzzles began often tricky. I haven't enjoyed a game this much for quite a long time. My only regret is that I already beat it, or at least the main story. There are still 2 additional sets of bonus maps, plus a feature to import maps, which a fantastic mod community will grow around, and the Portal is an extremely brilliant game. While I think the learning curve was too gentle, the puzzles began often tricky. I haven't enjoyed a game this much for quite a long time. My only regret is that I already beat it, or at least the main story. There are still 2 additional sets of bonus maps, plus a feature to import maps, which a fantastic mod community will grow around, and the number of puzzles will be enormous! Expand
  52. connoszeniou
    Oct 10, 2007
    Its realy a very adictive game. I couldnt let it go. I realy like it and their is a lot of potiential in it. Imagine this in HalfLife with physics pazles or fighting i can think of thousand of ideas how can be used. Realy amazing can wait for ep3 to see what valve can do more
  53. Peter
    Oct 10, 2007
    Incredible idea, beautifully crafted, and impeccably executed. I would give it a 9.5 if I could only because of the length of the campaign, however, the pure ability and setup to be expanded by developers and users alike keep this game in the highest ranks in my book.
  54. AlexL.
    Nov 25, 2007
    Fabulous game, with innovative gameplay and challenging level design. Worth the 50
  55. ConnorL.
    Oct 12, 2007
    The sick and twisted humor in this game was incredible, and although some of the end puzzles were lacking, I never stopped loving how creative you had to get with the portal gun and how the AI never ceased to make me laugh in a sort of twisted way. The rooms where the previous test subjects had gone also gave it a very eerie feeling, but kept me going all the time.
  56. PatF.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Set in the Half-Life universe, this game is innovative, and highly entertaining, and packed with brain bending puzzles. I only wish it was longer, I beat it in 4 hours. Awesome job!
  57. MichaelD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Amazing game, it's full of suprises and it never stops.. and best ever is, if you beat the game.. you can still play with the extra bonus maps included. It has challanges in it, like the least footsteps, least portals, or least time.
  58. MarcusH.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This game was so great! One of the best I played in a long time. And the credits were just perfect. More games should have such endings. A ground breaking game concept, nice levels, perfect learning curve, hot ending! Just PERFECT.
  59. RyanS.
    Oct 13, 2007
    An amazing game that requires you to think in a new and unique way. Add in the ability to reply the maps with even harder difficulty and challenges adds to the replayablilty. Looking forward to the maps the online community is bound to make!
  60. TalL.
    Oct 13, 2007
    I waited eagerly, OK -- *impatiently*, for this game to be released ever since it appeared on my radar after the trailer was released. From the trailer I could tell that this was going to be exactly my kind of fun. This game *exceeded* my expectations in every regard. Although brief, I expect that there will be plenty of puzzles created and exchanged by fans over time as add-ons. I'd I waited eagerly, OK -- *impatiently*, for this game to be released ever since it appeared on my radar after the trailer was released. From the trailer I could tell that this was going to be exactly my kind of fun. This game *exceeded* my expectations in every regard. Although brief, I expect that there will be plenty of puzzles created and exchanged by fans over time as add-ons. I'd give away some of my favorite comments to make about this game, but they'd be spoilers. But I still have a few good things to add: The voice-acting, and yes apparently this is the voice acting of one certain Ellen McLain and not computer synth, was superbly done. Truly, at the risk of a pun, the icing on the cake. The storyline, although short, makes a wonderful dark little comedy within a science-fiction setting. The end titles, and what was done with it, had me howling with laughter. The gameplay is wonderfully original. As much as I enjoy my FPS-style games, this is a nice change of pace. Yes, there are bullets and rockets fired in the game, but you never get more than the portal gun yourself. You're forced to defend yourself purely with your wits and your agility. Major kudos, gratitude, and wishes for future success to Valve and the team of students-turned-pro who put this game together. It was worth the wait. Expand
  61. EthanDuysen
    Oct 14, 2007
    This is by far one of the biggest leaps in gaming there have been in a while. Not only does Portal put into excellent use of the Valve physics engine, but they also do excellent rendering of collision, use of video memory, and many other aspects that Half Life missed. Portal is also very open ended and can be madded easily with any game. The possibilities are practically limitless withThis is by far one of the biggest leaps in gaming there have been in a while. Not only does Portal put into excellent use of the Valve physics engine, but they also do excellent rendering of collision, use of video memory, and many other aspects that Half Life missed. Portal is also very open ended and can be madded easily with any game. The possibilities are practically limitless with the portal gun and the games that are available and the franchise is going to be doing very well with future games. Good Job Valve Expand
  62. MalteB.
    Nov 4, 2007
    Awesome physics and logic-gaming with a funny computer-voice and a weighted companion cube ;).
  63. Dave
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game is completely underrated by the media. Yes, the main storyline is only about 3-4 hours long. But, the advanced modes provide *many* extra hours of fun. I keep going back to this game because it's so fun to experiment with - I wonder if someone will add the portal gun to Gary's Mod (maybe they have already!). Also, the story to this game is great.
  64. GregM.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Simply put... what a game should be.... Somewhat short storyline... but the extras (Should you choose to attempt them) will keep you busy for many days to come. One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had... It has all the love and work into it that a homemade apple pie has! It does not seem like just another game out of the assembly line like so much of what we play today! It is Simply put... what a game should be.... Somewhat short storyline... but the extras (Should you choose to attempt them) will keep you busy for many days to come. One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had... It has all the love and work into it that a homemade apple pie has! It does not seem like just another game out of the assembly line like so much of what we play today! It is in its own league! Expand
  65. JosephC.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Quirky and strange - more games need passive/aggressive synthesized robot females villains. Pure quality - Who cares if it's short?
  66. RamsesIICP
    Nov 6, 2007
    Spectacular. Strikes fast and hard, and then wraps it all up in time for tea. Bonus puzzles provide much needed difficulty factor without dragging down the solo game under too much repitition. Portal II when are you?
  67. TomT.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Probably one of the best games I've ever played. It's funny, smart and makes you think. I could go on and on, listing a wide varity of topics, however the only way to truely understand and enjoy this game is to play it, no review or score can do it justice, you cannot grasp the greatness of this game from second hand information, if you want to know why I'm giving it a 10, Probably one of the best games I've ever played. It's funny, smart and makes you think. I could go on and on, listing a wide varity of topics, however the only way to truely understand and enjoy this game is to play it, no review or score can do it justice, you cannot grasp the greatness of this game from second hand information, if you want to know why I'm giving it a 10, go play it. Expand
  68. WesW.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Portal is amazing. You will definitely want to play through the whole story mode on one sitting. It is that much fun. One play-through isn't enough though and you will definitely keep thinking about it and come back for more. The bonus "Advanced" puzzles and challenges are also fun. I wish there was more!
  69. Manny
    Oct 17, 2007
    This game is unlike any of it's kind. Absolutely great work. It is literally a "Game IQ Test" that is extremely fun to play. The first thing that I thought was impossible to accomplish was taking only 10 steps to finish Level 13 on the challenge maps. Ten steps means a gold medal, and I freaked out when I actually got it =D One of the most satisfying times I've ever had in a game.
  70. KorosuI.
    Oct 18, 2007
    The funnier game I've ever played. And that's a point. Everything in Portal is brilliant. Great game, I just can't wait until Valve release some more of Portal.
  71. MB
    Oct 19, 2007
    Entertaining story and top notch gameplay. This is not just a puzzle game, its fun and funny, and even a little creepy. The concept is great and it is a new idea in a genre that needs some fresh air.
  72. DaiH.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Something that people cant grasp, is that its a puzzle game. Its not about killing anything, but trying to succeed in passing the test. It has extensive replayability in the advanced levels and the Portal/Time/Step limited levels, and passing each one gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Now lets hope for some custom puzzles to be released :D.
  73. Devan
    Oct 10, 2007
    This game, although slightly short, is amazingly excellent. The use of the Portal Gun to achieve your goals, as well as all the physics and graphics are perfectly tied together with the story behind the Aperture Science Laboratories.
  74. DavidJ.
    Dec 21, 2007
    There are a lot of "eight" ratings out there that sound like they'd have been a 10 if the game were longer. Weighing in from the "been a gamer since Pong" demographic, with a job that leaves little time for gaming, I am absolutely thrilled for an outstanding, innovating, SHORT experience. Perfect value for $20. The best game I've played in 2 years.
  75. K.S.
    Oct 20, 2007
    The first and most likely last game I will rate a game here, but I was so impressed with it I just had to push up the user score a bit more (like it needs it pfff). Portal is a breath of fresh air, after years of the same old (FPS type) re-done over hyped (Halo3 *clears throat*) crap they re-release over and over again. I'm happy to say to anyone and everyone that will listen, Portal The first and most likely last game I will rate a game here, but I was so impressed with it I just had to push up the user score a bit more (like it needs it pfff). Portal is a breath of fresh air, after years of the same old (FPS type) re-done over hyped (Halo3 *clears throat*) crap they re-release over and over again. I'm happy to say to anyone and everyone that will listen, Portal is a must have game. Buy it now! Expand
  76. EricM.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Just plain brilliant. Awesome concept. Witty nerd jokes. What a game! I'm gonna wish all FPSs had portal devices now.
  77. LoveM.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Wonderful humor and well executed puzzles. My best gaming experience in a long time.
  78. JenniferR.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Portal is, I think, simply the best thing Valve has yet produced. It is overly short, but perfect in the time it offers. What it needs most is an utterly user-friendly, simple and easy puzzle level creator. With that, it would shine like a nova.
  79. DouglasA.
    Oct 20, 2007
    One of the best & most addictive games i've ever played, lots of fun good to have a game that is fun, scary and has lots of puzzles without going around killing everyone.
  80. holor
    Dec 4, 2007
    This was a great game, the only thing I found to be strange was the little ventilation hole just after the first rocket turret, I used chairs to go up inside but I found it a clumsy way of doing it, it was very unlike the others puzzles if the game.
    I love GLaDOS so much <3 the turrets <3
  81. LucL.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Best puzzle game ever. Best of both gaming world (Puzzles and FPS).
  82. DavidF.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Excellent, Wonderful! My only complaint is the lack of additional maps and levels of play. I look forward to the future posabilities!
  83. NickR.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Its about time someone realized humor, originality, and fresh gameplay is needed and executed it.
  84. Daggers
    Oct 20, 2007
    An awesome puzzle game that keeps you thinking from start to finish, a great sense of humour in the game and a great addition to The Orange Box.
  85. Alex
    Dec 8, 2007
    My only complaint about portal is that it's too short ... but only if you don't try doing the challenges and trying to get all the acheivements. Easily one of the most fun games I have ever played.
  86. SamuelL.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Portal is a conceptual heaven with the most innovative use of the FPS genre ever seen. The gameplay is ever enhanced by the seemingly innocent yet malevolent computer AI constantly broadcasting its views to the player. Best play of the year!
  87. ToryN.
    Oct 30, 2007
    How can anyone not rate this a 10? It's the most inventive and intense puzzle game ever, and if you don't think so and you're crying about how it's not another shooter (yes, they are fun, but each one doesn't expand superbly on the next) then go die.
  88. SteveT.
    Oct 30, 2007
    What a refreshing, intelligent and fun concept. I have completed the game in a few hours and can't wait to see how they'll develope this game further. Keep up the great work!
  89. JohnH.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Seriously, this is quite possibly the most entertaining three hours I have had in years of video game playing.
  90. AndrejL.
    Jan 20, 2008
    If you asked me what's my best game before this game came out I couldn't be able to give you straight anwser... After playing Portal it became by far the best game I have ever played (sorry HL). The whole experiance of playing through this game was amazing. Trully an epic classic!
  91. AaronY.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Paired down to a short blazing game, every second is great puzzle sleuthing and hillarious GLaDOS dialouge. I doubt there will be another game this phenomenally good for many years. I do hope that Valve continues to connect the "Aperture Science," and "Black Mesa," worlds. Their sum would be greater than their parts.
  92. melindawyers
    Jan 27, 2008
    The Orange Box should have been labeled "Portal and Friends"
  93. DanielY.
    Jan 3, 2008
    This is the single greatest PC game of 2007. It is creative and original. The commentary alone would be a great game. If I didn't get to look at what was happening on screen the game would rate higher than 90% of the rehashed garbage of 2007. In an industry which promotes money-making as priority one and entertainment as a bi-product of a standardized game Portal makes a statement. This is the single greatest PC game of 2007. It is creative and original. The commentary alone would be a great game. If I didn't get to look at what was happening on screen the game would rate higher than 90% of the rehashed garbage of 2007. In an industry which promotes money-making as priority one and entertainment as a bi-product of a standardized game Portal makes a statement. It dares to be bold and different, do not let the length of the game dismay you. It's long enough to keep you entertained for a few hours and as a part of an essential game package (orange box) is a definite must have. Expand
  94. HenrikH.
    Jan 30, 2008
    Fantastic game. First is the innovative gameplay, Portal is the first game in over a decay that actually delivers a new kind of gameplay to game. Second is the humor, GLaDOS sarcastic, ironic lies about cake is well placed through the hole game and it gets better by the time. A little minus is the lenght but the overall game is fantastic.
  95. JoshU.
    Jan 3, 2008
    A refreshing break from the hardcore, mindless violence of most other titles, Portal manages to create a deep and believable world with only a short amount of gameplay. In-game characters like the android turrets and faithful companion cube, although they play relatively small parts in gameplay, are nonetheless among the most memorable of all game characters from this year. The ending A refreshing break from the hardcore, mindless violence of most other titles, Portal manages to create a deep and believable world with only a short amount of gameplay. In-game characters like the android turrets and faithful companion cube, although they play relatively small parts in gameplay, are nonetheless among the most memorable of all game characters from this year. The ending credits took me completely off guard, but cemented the fact that this game was very deliberately and perfectly made. Expand
  96. JamesT.
    Feb 11, 2008
    I think this game was beautiful every class was great as well as it makes you properly use teamwork to win on big servers. I just loved it.
  97. MaximC.
    Feb 17, 2008
    Oh, yes! It's really the Best Game!
  98. LordW.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Fooking brilliant game. Perfect down to the exit song! Shame it wasn't longer. How about combining Half-Life with Portal? You could make the enemy shoot at themselves. You could sneak up behind the enemy and twat them. Could be interesting, no?
  99. KitrinaY.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Way too short, but for the intensity of the puzzles and being forced to think outside of the box.. brilliant! Simply brilliant! I'd love it more if it had a sequel.
  100. RyanS>
    Feb 3, 2008
    Portal is a great game. It's challenging in the later levels, but do-able. Yes, the main game may be quite short, but while it is there, its brilliant. Some of the challenges seem almost stupidly difficult, i.e the step limit, but there's so much satisfaction from getting the vanilla crazy cake at the end of the 6th advanced map. Best thing is, my lousy graphics card can run it Portal is a great game. It's challenging in the later levels, but do-able. Yes, the main game may be quite short, but while it is there, its brilliant. Some of the challenges seem almost stupidly difficult, i.e the step limit, but there's so much satisfaction from getting the vanilla crazy cake at the end of the 6th advanced map. Best thing is, my lousy graphics card can run it on high! So pretty. Expand

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.