7.9

1. Mar 28, 2013
    In a world full of Call of Duty clones, it's rare to find an FPS game that brings something new and unique to the genre. Prey, from 2006, brings this in spades. The game offers a variety of new gameplay concepts and elements that make a unique and varied shooter; the classic Doom style run and gun gameplay mixed with several challenging puzzles and twists to complete a level. If you're looking for a new and innovative shooter (even though it's an old game) I highly recommend Prey; for the $5 it cost me, it was well worth my money. Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    Considering that this game game out a year prior to Bioshock and a couple of years post Half Life 2 it is amazing that this game does not garner more praise. My biggest issue is that they combat is a little clunky, but the story, the creative game play involving the use of alternating gravity, using teleportation portals, etc. along with strong voice acting (the female lead irritate the hell out of me at times and other times it was passable the rest of the voice acting was perfect), great visuals, the creative use of spirit and a really engaging story make this one hell of a good game.

I hope that Prey 2 comes out of development hell, but then again it apparently will not have Tommy as the main protagonist despite the ending of Prey which is disappointing. But then again I could be totally off as there is not much known about Prey 2 other than the pissing match that goes on at time about who is to blame for it being stalled.

If you like story driven games with the need to figure some things out too as you go, I would recommend this title. Its a bit hard to find as it is not available via any download outlets and you can find only a few copies on re-sellers like Amazon. This game is well worth a try and works great on the PC.
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    Great game with excellent storyline, diverse gameplay, nice graphics. The game engine from doom 3 looks very good, even in 2013, the animation is good. I look forward to continuing stories, Tommy kick ass the aliens.
  4. Jan 24, 2012
    There's absolutely nothing to complain about in this game. The graphics are stunning (at least they were when the game was released), the story is mind-blowing, the gameplay mechanics are incredibly ergonomic and intuitive, and more. This is, in my humble opinion, one of the most underrated games in the history of the PC. Get it, get it now. Prey 2 doesn't look quite as good.
  5. Aug 2, 2011
    I've never seen a game like this before. If George Noory was a Native American Indian and game developer he would create this game. I've never seen Indians and Aliens combined in a game before! It's awesome and I enjoyed it very much. It mixes first person shooting, bashing, smashing, frying and freezing, with mind screwing puzzles, zero gravity at times, 3D Space where there is no up or down, and a strange and twisted story of a Native American who goes up against Aliens. LOL Whoever came up with this game and developed the story and game play had to be smoking some strong stuff in his peace pipe. Along with the mix of shooting and puzzles, there is comedy through out with the voice overs. Lots of swearing and blood, and a strange mix of weapons. It seems to be a nice balance of difficulty and playability for the average gamer and moves along at a good pace to keep you playing to the next level. Well, I'm going to go take something for my dizziness and go to bed and have nightmares now. Expand
  6. Feb 10, 2012
    PREY: This is one of the most underrated game ever made (because little to no one knows it). Most people says that it's an Okay game. I say it was Amazing! The game was made in the id Tech 4 engine which is a Doom 3 engine. You can still feel that this game is a rip-off Doom 3, but it's made on the same game engine so maybe it has some aggreements with id Software. The gameplay is more like Doom 3, but it's more story-based. You and your girlfriend gets abducted by aliens. You made to escape, but you must save your girlfriend. There are some sad moments too so I think the Story was great. But god, the environments and the aliens are as disgusting as Half-Life (in a good way though). It really feels that you are in there. The realism is great and still comparable to HL2. The gameplay is just your typical shooter, but it's more than that. Why? The weapons were made by aliens instead of humans, but the other reason is just like Half Life 2, Prey has puzzles. But compared to HL2, this one blows your mind completely. They are more than just puzzles, they kill gravity. Unlike any other games I've played so far (still counting Portal), the puzzle just blows your mind. There are portals that can teleport you somewhere, but it can also shrinks you into a miniature look. There are floors that kill the law of gravity, and more weird things. They used the engine perfectly on this game. I loved it. Too bad with game like this, id Software didn't put more efforts on their recent games like RAGE. So overall, Prey is an amazing game and it's one of my most favorite game of all time. [9/10] "Amazing" Expand
  7. Jul 14, 2013
    I happened to run across a used copy of this game and it is one of the best games I have played in years. The puzzles are challenging and the outcomes will stand you on your head (pun intended). I recommend this game highly. To me, its an early precursor to games like Mass Effect without the sex.
  8. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is awesome! When i played it first time, i was blown away. When i heard that game was released 2006., i couldn't believe because graphic was so good. There is a many amazing things in the ship, like teleports, passages, many aliens... just awesome game.

1. It's so pregnant with ideas and beautiful movements that you'd be a sad fool to to deprive yourself of the experience. If the sequel is longer, a bit more difficult, and plays slightly more intelligently, then I can't imagine it being anything other than a Classic. [Aug 2006, p.58]
  2. Prey is touted as having an adaptive difficulty system -- the better you are, the better it gets -- and it really did seem to get harder as the game went on. As a result, there are just two difficulty settings, Normal and Cherokee, and I'd advise that even vets might want to give Normal a try on the first run out, letting the game's artificial intelligence pick up the pace to a comfortable level.
  3. Plot holes aside, the gameplay in Prey is nothing short of amazing. Whether you're wandering up walls, shifting gravity, shrunk down to the size of a mouse, going into spirit form, fighting in the afterlife, or floating around in a service vehicle... Prey has got everything anyone could want from a sci-fi shooter and more.