8.9

1. Jul 29, 2013
    It's an indie adventure game meaning you will move the cursor around the screen hunting for interactive objects, then collect them into inventory and attempt to apply them randomly to any other interactive object on the screen or in the inventory. I am personally not much into this kind of games. The artwork is pretty mediocre and the resolution is very low (640x480 probably). The music isIt's an indie adventure game meaning you will move the cursor around the screen hunting for interactive objects, then collect them into inventory and attempt to apply them randomly to any other interactive object on the screen or in the inventory. I am personally not much into this kind of games. The artwork is pretty mediocre and the resolution is very low (640x480 probably). The music is good. I couldn't get far to see any of the story, just got stuck at the first few puzzles, as usually in such games. The game is definitely for those who like adventure games of this kind. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    Terrible endings rule what is otherwise the best game from WadjetEye to date. The game has an intriguing storyline, good characterizations, solid voice acting, excellent game play and puzzles that are challenging without being obtuse. The problem is that all of this leads up to an ending(s) that not only feels abrupt but is a limp as a soggy noodle. Honestly, when I was done I felt robbedTerrible endings rule what is otherwise the best game from WadjetEye to date. The game has an intriguing storyline, good characterizations, solid voice acting, excellent game play and puzzles that are challenging without being obtuse. The problem is that all of this leads up to an ending(s) that not only feels abrupt but is a limp as a soggy noodle. Honestly, when I was done I felt robbed not of my attention but of my time. This is especially so because the most obvious ending choice (simply refusing) leads to the lamest ending. When I was done I looked at a walkthrough and discovered there are seven(!) different possible endings. The game would have been far better off if it had just regulated itself to the one or two endings that were actually cool.

There are other issues. The hint system doesn't work as well as one might hope, as it always seems to be two steps ahead or behind where the players activity is actually at. None of the choices in the game actually impact the outcome at all, rending the way your progress through the game moot..The graphics are, as is typical from this publisher, subpar.

It is really unfortunate because I feel that this game is only a few steps away from greatness. Most of the game is well-done and engaging enough that I actually finished it. But when the player spends hours working through the game to be left with a pile of mush in their hands the disappointment lingers.
  3. Aug 31, 2013
    If this game had been released in 1990, which is the period that its graphics, gameplay and story intentionally harp back to, it might well have changed the course of adventure gaming's evolution.

It has all the nostalgia of going back to the Lucasarts and Sierra golden age. (but the game it reminded me of most is actually an immensely obscure Atari ST point-and-click game called "The Grail", due to both games having a combination of a religious protagonist and irreverent sidekick in an alternative fantasy setting)... it's basically the game that the games that The Secret of Monkey Island was making fun of were trying to be... arriving twenty years too late, after everyone has grown up and had kids.

The story is tightly written and lovingly realised, it sticks to the simple idea of a robot worshipping humans in a world where all the humans have probably died out, and embellishes it to the nth degree, with great success. Other recent games have also told this story, but not quite so well.

The highlight of the game is the voice-acting by a robot called "Ever-Faithful Leobuilt". He only says about ten lines but they will make you sit up and listen. The actor deserves an award for it.

The puzzles are also very tight as with all old-school point and clicks there are a couple that are just too 'lateral' for probably anyone to work out without looking up the answers, and one that involved two crucial items being hidden in a five-pixel-by-five-pixel box on a screen you'd never have any reason to backtrack to... but the overall logic and difficulty of them is like "Machinarium" (another game it has a lot in common with). The items you carry round in the inventory are genuinely useful which helps give it realism and none of the item combinations are surreal.

Most of the combinations produce some sort of reaction or quip from the main character or the sidekick, which keeps it entertaining this is a huge achievement to pull off in a game like this, writing something and acting it for nearly every possible thing a blowtorch could be used on.

The story is a tad predictable but only because other games have told it less neatly. There is a ton of stuff that gets mentioned in passing but which the main character never sees because it is only tangentially relevant to him.

The story is also a bit short and there are only about 10-20 locations in the game but it really only needs that many, and any more would have been unnecessary padding.

This is a delicately crafted work of art and only a handful of these games ever reached this quality and you can't see that by reading a review, so go buy it!

1. Aug 22, 2014
    While the story and puzzles falter a bit, there is still something utterly captivating about Primordia. The robots, broken both on the outside and on the inside, claimed for themselves a small part of my heart. And with your heart, not your mind, Primordia should really be approached.
  2. Jul 24, 2013
    There is plenty to forgive Primordia for, but if you can get past the issues and lose yourself in the game there’s a rich and emotional story waiting for you. I’m a bit of a robot nut myself and despite all of my nitpicks about the game I found myself deeply affected by the ending.
  3. Feb 9, 2013
    A throwback to the genre's glory days, obtuse puzzle concoctions, awkward controls and all. [March 2013, p.78]