8.8

1. Sep 2, 2013
    Definitely the finest adventure game made since The Walking Dead, and, prior to TWD, probably the best adventure game since the heyday of Quest for Glory! Absolutely buy this game and support Wormwood Studios. Here's hoping for numerous sequels!!!
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    It's a pretty sight watching the point and click adventure genre being restored in it's former glory, and although not every attempt is as succesful Primordia has truely nailed it. The story is solid, the dialogues are both intelligent and witty and never feel enforced. Horatio and Crispin are the best voiced 2D adventure couple since Sam and Max hit the road and there are plenty of lines of dialogue to enjoy. But all the characters look and sound great, and so do the surroundings. There is no need for high resolution as long as one takes great care in details and animation, and this is the case with Primordia. This game feels like the 90's and to me that is a good thing.
    Its only weaknes is its rather short length, it's easily solved under 6 hours. The puzzles are fun but don't require extreme amounts of intelligence. Most of them just make sense and are easily figured out. Personally I don't mind that that much to be honest. Primordia has been a great experience to me, and I'll be playing it again in a while to check out the other endings.
  3. Dec 11, 2012
    I give it a 10 for introducing a griping storyline; something that's sadly lacking in the industry of today. Yes, the world turned wasteland thing is played out more than zombie clones; yet this title manages
    to make you *care* about the characters, something I can't seem to do with games like Walking Dead and
    Star Wars No.70000 for example. It's more than just the interaction of the
    protagonist and sidekick. It is the deadpan humor with perfect timing when you try out new solutions to a puzzle. But I give it a nine overall for the lack of attention spent on the graphics customization. Even with the setup.exe set to max out all features it manages to look worse than 320 by 400 resolution. And would it have killed them to give you these options in game via the options menu? It is rare that a game comes along that can keep my attention and imagination for as Primordia has.
    Buy it if you like games like these, but don't if you think Modern Warfare is the best thing since sliced bread.
  4. Xon
    Jul 7, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem of a game. The post-human world is richly detailed, the story interesting, the puzzles good and a clever hint system to help you along if you get stuck. If you are a sci-fi fan you should give this game a try.
  5. Jun 2, 2013
    This is one of the best adventure games I've played in a long time. The story is great, which in my book, separates ok adventures from great ones. The graphics leave a lot to be desired, but the story is great, the interplay between the the main characters is awesome and the puzzles are fun and challenging. Did I mention the voice acting is really good? Not many games leave me wishing for more, but this was one of them. I'm also hoping for a some sort of sequel! Expand
  6. Dec 23, 2012
    Nice game, great atmosphere, awesome retro charm, memorable characters, good storyline. I felt all the soul put by developers into the game. Also I loved the references to my both all-time favorite games - Fallout (the whole post-apocalyptic setting and Easter Eggs about water chip and G.E.C.K.) and Planescape Torment (Horatio and Crispin are like the Nameless One and Morte, besides Horatio is mentioned to have a number of previous "lives" and some NPCs remember him - just like the Nameless One). The puzzles are mostly logical (some I felt illogical - probably I'm just an average quest-gamer: I've only played a couple of quests long ago). So thanks to Wormwood Studios for this game!
    P.S. Do not believe the "metascore"!!! The game deserves much better!
  7. Sep 30, 2013
    10 might be over doing it but i don't care. Great voice acting, puzzles are ingenious and the story is very strong and well paced/presented. Every character feels meaningful as does the world they are in. Also length is quite good. Only problems i had were a few obscure items that i missed from over looking an area but Crispin can give you hints if your stuck. I would suggest turning off the hints from the menu thou if you don't want him giving you clues when it isn't needed~ Expand
  8. Dec 8, 2012
    Modern adventure games can often end up feeling low budget in one place or another, but this one feels like it was made by a lot more than the handful of people who worked on it (not including voice-acting in that count).

It's a solid game where the puzzles feel logical and necessary as opposed to just setting up roadblocks to your progress.

I was tempted to write a super long-winded
    and poetic review for this game, but I'd rather just go play it again (for me that's the sign of adventure greats). For the third time.

Commentary is well worth activating on the second playthrough, it offers a lot of insight into what they were aiming for.
  9. Jun 1, 2013
    The atmosphere in the game is fantastic. You have this rusting and decaying world in the colours of rusting metals and flickering lights here and there. Exactly what I expected from the teaser images I saw before purchasing the game. The purposefully crude graphics are wonderful and I fell in love with them even though I usually prefer HD graphics in games. I also liked the voice acting (except the acting on one minor character) and how the actor's voices fit the visual presentations of the characters.
    The puzzles were of satisfactory difficulty. Some were plain easy while others made me stuck for an hour or so. The usual method of trying every item you possess on every object on every screen works in most cases. I was surprised to also find quite a few puzzles that didn't rely on items in the game but on the player's knowledge and attention to the displayed events and texts. The point-and-click method of controlling the game worked well. I didn't spot any glitches or bugs.
    I saw a review stating that the story isn't fully told in this game but I disagree with this. The backgrounds for all the major players are clarified and told as are the events that have transpired and will transpire in the future. Finding out these stories is in most cases optional or depends on succeeding on puzzles in which you are given a few tries only (you can always save+load though so it's in the players hands if he wants to play to the end even after failing in an optional puzzle).
    I bought the game for five euros so considering that I spent about fifteen hours playing it the deal was good.
  10. Aug 31, 2013
    If this game had been released in 1990, which is the period that its graphics, gameplay and story intentionally harp back to, it might well have changed the course of adventure gaming's evolution.

It has all the nostalgia of going back to the Lucasarts and Sierra golden age. (but the game it reminded me of most is actually an immensely obscure Atari ST point-and-click game called "The
    Grail", due to both games having a combination of a religious protagonist and irreverent sidekick in an alternative fantasy setting)... it's basically the game that the games that The Secret of Monkey Island was making fun of were trying to be... arriving twenty years too late, after everyone has grown up and had kids.

The story is tightly written and lovingly realised, it sticks to the simple idea of a robot worshipping humans in a world where all the humans have probably died out, and embellishes it to the nth degree, with great success. Other recent games have also told this story, but not quite so well.

The highlight of the game is the voice-acting by a robot called "Ever-Faithful Leobuilt". He only says about ten lines but they will make you sit up and listen. The actor deserves an award for it.

The puzzles are also very tight as with all old-school point and clicks there are a couple that are just too 'lateral' for probably anyone to work out without looking up the answers, and one that involved two crucial items being hidden in a five-pixel-by-five-pixel box on a screen you'd never have any reason to backtrack to... but the overall logic and difficulty of them is like "Machinarium" (another game it has a lot in common with). The items you carry round in the inventory are genuinely useful which helps give it realism and none of the item combinations are surreal.

Most of the combinations produce some sort of reaction or quip from the main character or the sidekick, which keeps it entertaining this is a huge achievement to pull off in a game like this, writing something and acting it for nearly every possible thing a blowtorch could be used on.

The story is a tad predictable but only because other games have told it less neatly. There is a ton of stuff that gets mentioned in passing but which the main character never sees because it is only tangentially relevant to him.

The story is also a bit short and there are only about 10-20 locations in the game but it really only needs that many, and any more would have been unnecessary padding.

This is a delicately crafted work of art and only a handful of these games ever reached this quality and you can't see that by reading a review, so go buy it!
  11. Dec 7, 2012
    Highly recommended, the great artwork and logical puzzles work together to make a truly memorable experience. The dynamic between Horatio and Crispin is a lot like the friendship between Overmann and Joey from Beneath a Steel Sky, but with their own interesting personalities and quirks. And any game with Logan Cunningham voicing the main character is worth playing.
  12. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't play a ton of point-and-click adventure games, but I saw a couple videos of the game last Thursday and decided that I should check it out. After spending a good chunk of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday playing Primordia, I'm glad I picked it up. Primordia is fascinating for its environment, despite the fact that war-borne post-apocalyptic wastes are not new territory for video games. Every place is beautifully rendered and has a hint of mystery, not just because you find yourself clicking around the screen in search of things you can interact with. Every screen feels like it has a rich history, most of which remains lost under the sand and debris that abound. The central plight of the game Expand
  13. Dec 9, 2012
    Highly recommended! I am not a great adventure game player and tested the game, because the world seems interesting to me.
    A great game with an excellent Atmosphere and great artwork. The puzzles are easy till hard. Music is very atmospheric.
    The price is good. You play more than 10 hours.
  14. Dec 22, 2012
    Putting the "adventure" back into adventure games!

One of the best adventure games in recent memory! The gameplay is akin to classic adventure games and as such is nothing you haven't seen (gather items/try them on everything that you see), however the atmosphere is also akin to classic adventure games and that's something I've been missing dearly as of late. Please note that the game
    is not entirely linear and there are a few instances in the game that could be solved in different ways. There are also quite a few possible ending depending on where the player would wish to stand on the subject discussed in the game. There are also achievements rewarded for finding clever solutions to some of the puzzle (which as I mentioned could sometimes be solved in more than one way).

Although the game has an entirely different setting (and a darker overtone) I would like to compare it to the Monkey Island 1 and 2 in terms of how consistent and captivating its overall theme. atmosphere and dialog is. Hooray for the classic adventure genre not being dead! (I'm sick of hidden object and mass production detective pseudo-games)
  15. Dec 26, 2012
    The story is good old fun. Adventure is engaging but not too difficult. All in all good value for money. In fact I'd encourage the author/publisher to make a sequel - the world they created allows for more stories to be told/played. Enjoy!
  16. Mar 3, 2013
    Primordia is a must for anyone who is a fan of old-school point click adventures. The tale follows robot Horatio and his floating companion Crispin as they try to retrieve a power core stolen from them by a boxy robot with lasers in a post-apocalyptic style world however, the story is much more than this basic premise. One of the central questions the player wants answered is what exactly happened to the humans who presumably once inhabited this Earth and created the robots left behind. Added to this is a tapestry of moral and philosopical themes such as the meaning and existence of free will, individuality, progress, and what constitutes the 'greater good'. These sometimes rather heavy themes are pulled off through excellent writing, and are offset by a quirky humour that runs through the whole game. This off-beat humour and occasional breaking of the fourth wall are reminiscent of some of my favourite, genuinely old-school games such as Simon the Sorcerer, and I think anyone who was playing this kind of thing in the early 90's will appreciate it. The worldbuilding and background detail is fantastic my one gripe is that the game just doesn't go far enough. There are hints of exciting other locations that we don't get to visit, and the larger philosophical themes are never fully explored. As this is a game and not just a visual novel, I should probably mention a bit about the gameplay it's pretty much standard of point click games, and uses the traditional inventory system. Nothing stood out as unique, but equally nothing was inconvenient or jarring. The puzzles are not particularly challenging, and there's plenty of hints on hand from Crispin if one chooses to press him for them (it's also pretty fun to hear him getting annoyed and snarky when you try and use him too many times). I prefer simpler puzzles so the flow of the story doesn't stall, but others might find this game too easy. In terms of visuals, the pixel art is gorgeous, and the colour palette of browns, rusts and muted golds perfectly realizes the dusty, disued world. The audio content is also great, from the music to the voice acting. Even minor characters are voiced, and the robot voice effects are pretty cool.

Overall an 8/10 for this game. The presentation is beautiful both visually and aurally, and beneath this is a solid story rooted in a world that feels like it really could be our future. Horatio and Crispin are likeable and memorable characters to journey through this tale with, and their easy banter creates the emotional anchor to this crumbling planet. Points are lost for the sense that the game could have been bigger both in terms of the number of locations, and the philosophical ideas that never seem to be explored quite as far as you hope. Regardless, 'Primordia' is highly recommended!
  17. Mar 4, 2013
    Awesome game, i don´t know what is it exactly, but it just maked me play it nonstop till i finished it. It has that "something" that makes you want more when you finish it, and that is a sensation i haven´t got for a really long time.
  18. Feb 26, 2013
    Why are you not playing Primordia? Go play Primorida. It as an intelligent plot, interesting characters, various ways to progress through puzzles and multiple endings.
  19. Oct 5, 2013
    Awesome, awesome setting, story and characters. One of the most interesting and engrossing adventure games I've played. I really hope there is a sequel one day!
  20. Sep 23, 2013
    A lovely story, nicely written dialgue's between the two characters, pretty decent puzzles and alternative endings. You can solve some puzzles in more than one way and some choices will effect the rest of the game. Not every choice that gets you further is the best choice. Then there's the great atmosphere and the wonderful music! After all Primordia is one of my top three adventures back in 2012.
  21. Sep 28, 2013
    This game has amazing atmosphere, thanks to its wonderful artwork, great characters and writing, as well as overall a very interesting gameworld. When combined with solid old-school adventure gameplay with plenty of stuff to do (you're unlikely to do everything on the first playthrough), it's easily one of the best games in the genre in my opinion.
  22. May 29, 2014
    I generally bought Primordia just because I thought the graphics are cool with it's dark and gloomy style. But the game surprised me really good with it's intelligent puzzles and challenges as well as hidden eastereggs. All dialouges, characters and the alternative endings really make it worthwhile and I'll cheerish the time I had playing Primordia.

It's not a game for everyone, but if
    you're into these kind of games you'll probably love it. Expand
  23. Nov 3, 2013
    A great classic adventure game with an amazing retro art style and unusual story set in a rare fantasy world that connects science-finstion and post apocalyptic novels
  24. Nov 3, 2013
    One of the best Adventures i have played so far, and i have started with Monkey Island 1 and 2. If you are into dystopian steampunk then you will love this game.
  25. Ume
    Nov 3, 2013
    When the only "negative" aspect about this game I can think of is that it felt too short, I feel very confident about recommending it to all gamers, both fans of point and click adventure and those new to the genre alike. Beautifully crafted game, with gorgeous artwork and good puzzles (a couple are really hard!), great atmosphere and soundtrack. Above all, the main characters made this game really worth playing. Fans of Fallout and Planescape: Torment will find some thematic similarities. Overall, I had a great experience with this game and replayed a couple of times. Expand
  26. Nov 9, 2013
    I did not want the game to end. I wished it were longer since it is so great, but I have to give 10/10 anyway. It is the first game that makes me want to achieve all achievements (Steam).
  27. Mar 16, 2014
    This is the best games I've been playing for years (and I'm playing AC4 now).
    It has a great depth, plot, atmosphere and length (maybe a little too short).
    Playing Primordia was like meeting an attractive, intelligent woman :)
    It was a pleasure, a well spent time, a lot of thinking - thinking about life, world around me, Ukraine and Russia, my role in it etc.
    I recommend this game to
    every thinking human, every adventure game fan, every cyberpunk fan.
    It's an art, not a simple game and it should be rewarded for it!
  28. Dec 5, 2013
    this game... is........ EPIC
    if you love philosophy a bit... and a deep story with emotional endings... then this is the perfect game for you
    for me its one of the best games i know, and i dont really play many point and click adventure games.. but the story, the music and the art... all together is just an epic experience
  29. Dec 29, 2013
    Let me just say, I adore this game. As someone who enjoys point-and-click adventure games as well as cyberpunk themes, this was a match made in heaven.

The story revolves around Horatio and Crispin, two robots who live in a wrecked ship. Horatio is a believer in Humanism, that humans are the creators, which is a frowned upon idea in the world the live in. They live far away from the
    city, isolated, until their power supply is stolen and they are forced to go to Metropol. As they search they discover the corrupt system that the city is operating under and Horatio's past.

The characters themselves were enough to keep me playing. I enjoyed each one's own personality, their dialog, their story, it was all well done. The art style very well sets the tone for Primordia and was pleasing to look at while playing. The story was actually surprisingly well done and with multiple endings it just increases the replay value as well as my interests. It was challenging enough to where I felt incredibly accomplished once I finished it, but easy enough to where I didn't rage quite and ignore it for days. I was easily absorbed into Primordia's world and it's certainly a game I will replay more than once (and already have).

Overall, worth the money and the time if you enjoy this genre. A must have.
  30. Feb 16, 2014
    Just astounding. The characters are interesting with just enough info that you want to know more. The story is great. The art is unceasingly amazing with an original style that I really loved. The overall story was perfect.
  31. Apr 18, 2014
    I'd highly recommend this game to all sci-fi lovers, disregarding their gaming preferences. Combining witty writing, atmospherical music, and absolutely amazing art, this game is a must have for everyone.
  32. Jun 4, 2014
    Absolutely LOVE it! Its like being transported back to the 90's! Reminds me of game like The Dig... or Full Throttle. The world is great too... love the idea of a robot walking by a human skeleton, and him thinking its just another wierd robot. (Humans are worshiped as legendary Gods btw.) It's like as a player, you're connecting the dots all over the place, but the character is in the dark! You're just DYING to let him in on the secrets! Expand
  33. Dec 8, 2012

I was tempted to write a super long-winded

1. Aug 22, 2014
    While the story and puzzles falter a bit, there is still something utterly captivating about Primordia. The robots, broken both on the outside and on the inside, claimed for themselves a small part of my heart. And with your heart, not your mind, Primordia should really be approached.
  2. Jul 24, 2013
    There is plenty to forgive Primordia for, but if you can get past the issues and lose yourself in the game there’s a rich and emotional story waiting for you. I’m a bit of a robot nut myself and despite all of my nitpicks about the game I found myself deeply affected by the ending.
  3. Feb 9, 2013
    A throwback to the genre's glory days, obtuse puzzle concoctions, awkward controls and all. [March 2013, p.78]