8.6

1. Jogilius
    Feb 8, 2004
    Nice graphics, but otherwise about everything qualifies as being merely ok. The fighting system could definitely have been done worse, and it is sometimes even enjoyable,but still there are times that you don't feel being that much in control since there is only one dagger button and sometimes you attack the zombie you didn't want to attack. Otherwise, in terms of content, too Nice graphics, but otherwise about everything qualifies as being merely ok. The fighting system could definitely have been done worse, and it is sometimes even enjoyable,but still there are times that you don't feel being that much in control since there is only one dagger button and sometimes you attack the zombie you didn't want to attack. Otherwise, in terms of content, too much repetition. The "puzzles" or so are hardly rewarding or challenging and the battles are nothing but repetition and make me say "oh, not another one of these battle scenes"... just zombies teleporting out of nowhere. Not that fun. Expand
  2. SachinM.
    Dec 9, 2003
    Hello, amazing game it is. Good GFX and a nice story to go along. Though.. It has some downsides. still it's a fun to play in your past time.. you should try it out .
  3. Mar 14, 2013
    This is a perfect example how much otherwise really good game can be destroyed by stupid control system and camera. The control of movement is based on camera position so when the position of camera is changed(this happen as you are moving through) you just start running in different direction than before. In fights sometime camera so stupidly placed you see big pillar and you and yourThis is a perfect example how much otherwise really good game can be destroyed by stupid control system and camera. The control of movement is based on camera position so when the position of camera is changed(this happen as you are moving through) you just start running in different direction than before. In fights sometime camera so stupidly placed you see big pillar and you and your opponents are hidden behind it. But that is not the worst problem of fights, that is definitely auto locking of targets. It is quiet terrible, you have to finish your opponent with your dagger when he is on the ground, but even when he is in front of you and is the closest thing to you the prince actually start attacking somebody else who is not not even next to you nor are you facing his directions instead of finishing that poor sod under your foots. This is pretty annoying as the opponent just stand up while you try retake control over prince. Also jumping and rolling is on same button and the action is taken based on context so it is quiet usual prince is doing something else that you would wish him to do. All the other things as graphic(taking the age of this game into consideration), soundtrack, originality of location and game play are pretty good and I really enjoyed cooperation with that girl who is following you, the puzzles are fun maybe little bit to easy and overall the quality of this game is really good, but the problems of control system is drawing it down and I cannot make myself giving it more than 6 points.
    If the control system was working properly a would give it 9.
  4. Jun 10, 2011
    For a gamer who have played both Assassin's Creed I & II, I can say that those two iconic games take root from this awesome masterpiece. TSoT have a great puzzle design, and in terms of free-running, definitely a lot more challenging than AC, as you need to press the button for the corresponding action, not holding three buttons at the same time and let the PC do the obstacle-clearing forFor a gamer who have played both Assassin's Creed I & II, I can say that those two iconic games take root from this awesome masterpiece. TSoT have a great puzzle design, and in terms of free-running, definitely a lot more challenging than AC, as you need to press the button for the corresponding action, not holding three buttons at the same time and let the PC do the obstacle-clearing for you. At times, the puzzles are so complex you'll spend 1 hour+ finding your way through. But when you do get them, it's extremely satisfying. However, as most console-to-pc games, they have bad controls and camera movement. Dodging from enemies is very hard. Talking about enemies, they're very hard and complicated. The enemies won't die easily, and furthermore when they die, you need to absorb the enemies' corpses into your dagger, otherwise they will rise again and you have to fight them, again. Things got even more complicated when there's 4-5 enemies at a time, and when one enemy is killed, another one will come and replace him. If you're planning to buy this game, expect your patience level to be tested to the max (and your bladder XD). Expand
  5. Nov 23, 2012
    Sands of Time is a reboot of a classic puzzle platforming franchise that dates back to the very early years of PC gaming. This title introduced the
  6. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    The Sands of Time Trilogy just feels very complete & outshines nearly every other AAA game I've played even to this day.
  7. Apr 6, 2012
    Fun game with a perfect length and a very good unique concept. For the most part puzzles are great and fighting style is well executed, even if fights get very repetitive after a while.
  8. Apr 26, 2013
    This game starts off as fun. It provides a few challenges and the graphics are good for its time. Taking advantage of the "sands of time" system is a wonderful, creative way to implement lives. However, the camera panning is simply horrible. The camera jumps when entering certain areas, forcing the player to use different movement keys to move differently. The gameplay also gets quiteThis game starts off as fun. It provides a few challenges and the graphics are good for its time. Taking advantage of the "sands of time" system is a wonderful, creative way to implement lives. However, the camera panning is simply horrible. The camera jumps when entering certain areas, forcing the player to use different movement keys to move differently. The gameplay also gets quite repetitive after a while... Running, wall-running, jumping from here to there, etc. Enemies are all the same as is the combat. I am trying to complete the game, but I keep quitting in frustration due to the increasing boredom I receive from playing for too long. Expand
  9. Dec 15, 2014
    To start with, this game is wrongly labeled as a platformer. There's not much "platforming" to do here. Though our hero is the acrobatic kind, do not expect having to do accurate jump sequences or anything of the sort. Sections with falling floors serve a purely dramatic purpose - you don't actually fall and you don't really need to pay attention. This is more of a puzzle game where youTo start with, this game is wrongly labeled as a platformer. There's not much "platforming" to do here. Though our hero is the acrobatic kind, do not expect having to do accurate jump sequences or anything of the sort. Sections with falling floors serve a purely dramatic purpose - you don't actually fall and you don't really need to pay attention. This is more of a puzzle game where you have to find the accurate path through a series of obstacles and/or traps. This isn't so bad in itself, but if you're looking for a platformer, this is probably not the game you're looking for.

This game has several issues, however.

Context-based gameplay: Only a few buttons are used to control the prince and he pulls off amazing stunts and a lot of different moves. This is all context-based, meaning he will do a different thing depending on what's in front of him. Having said that, it's difficult in some places to make him do the exact thing that you want him to do. When your angle to the wall isn't correct, he will run along it, instead of running up. When in battle and you're parrying and suddenly the enemy is too far away, he stops parrying and might run up a wall if you're close to one because these actions are controlled with the same button. This comes along with fairly poor controls where the running direction in enclosed spaces is hard to control. Since the camera occasionally changes perspective automatically, the prince will suddenly run into a different direction, which is very annoying.

Camera system: To be honest, I have never seen a game with such a poorly implemented camera system. Some people say it's an issue with the PC port. I do not care. It's bad. The camera bounces off off walls and make "swooosh"ing noises. Who came up with that? Sometimes the camera moves into the exactly opposite direction than I move the mouse. What the heck? The camera is jumpy, suddenly changing perspective (making the prince suddenly change direction -.-), but sometimes moves so slowly that I have to lift the mouse several times. Horrible. And then there are those places where the camera is fixed in one spot. Although the intent of the developers was to point the player to the next step of the puzzle and to simplity the controls the seem not to realize that all sense of 3D is lost when the camera doesn't move. There is first-person view to overcome this, but it's stil annoying.

Combat: The combat looks interesting, but ultimately is mostly button-mashing. Just keep pressing buttons, the prince will do SOMETHING. There's no skill or tactic involved. And the battles are too long with respawning enemies. This kind of combat is a major turn-off.
    Auto-aim: No, I want to attack that OTHER guy! Oh, forget it. He just does what he wants.

Pipe levels: Some levels must be called that, because you just keep going forward, avoiding traps and overcoming obstacles. Forks in the road appear only very occasionally. Some levels in later stages of the game, however, have a very interesting level design and it really takes a while to figure out how to get through.

Gameplay segregation: I just made up that word. The game is very clearly divided in combat and puzzle sequences. Instead of occasionally running into an enemy while making your way through the palace, there are combat scenes, where you have to defend against several enemies at the same time. And then there are actually 20 of them! I would have preferred a more mixed solution where you run into enemies more frequently, but only have to fight a few. This game, however, feels like it's actually two different games...

"Sands of time" also has several good points:
    The visuals are very appealing. I have to say that the game aged very well. It's still very nice to look at. The palace looks very realistic, the textures are nice, the monster design is good. Wonderful.
    Puzzles: The puzzle sequences are easy in the beginning, but become more challenging as you advance in the game. The puzzle elements (puzzles, pillars....) blend very well into the surroundings.
    The story is quite interesting (though I'm not through yet and don't know how it evolves). The interaction between Farah and the prince is nice - she will actually react to what he is doing, like holding her breath when he is about to fall. Very nice.

To conclude... I think "Sands of time" would be a great game if there was no combat and if the controls and camera weren't as horrible as they are. But unfortunately, these blend directly into the gameplay in an action puzzle game, so I give it a fairly mixed score. It's not fun to play for me because of the controls and camera system :(
  10. May 18, 2015

Ubi Soft Montreal has captured everything we loved about the first game without sacrificing the kinds of things we expect from games these days.
  2. Thrillinng acrobatic action, though the controls and camera could be better. [Mar 2004, p.88]
  3. The freedom of movement requires a new level of spatial imagination. Before Prince of Persia, platform games were like playing Tetris with only the blocks and bars. [Christmas 2003, p.100]