8.6

1. Nov 9, 2010
    Prince of Persia is a game I simply had to write a review about, because the movie somewhat made it look bad.... It one of the best games I have ever played, the story drew you in, the characters were developed well, the level design was gorgeous, the soundtrack was brilliant, the acrobatics were great, turning back time was just freakin awsome... But if I just had one gripe, it would bePrince of Persia is a game I simply had to write a review about, because the movie somewhat made it look bad.... It one of the best games I have ever played, the story drew you in, the characters were developed well, the level design was gorgeous, the soundtrack was brilliant, the acrobatics were great, turning back time was just freakin awsome... But if I just had one gripe, it would be the fighting mechanics. It didn't annoy me too much, but after a while you get over how cool the Prince is as he continnously jumps obver enemies, it wasn't as refined as Warrior Within's freeform fighting system alloying you more freedom in using the environment and style of play (that was the only good thing about WW). But this dosen't tarnish POP:SOT, it is still one the most brilliant games I've ever played. Expand
  2. Jul 26, 2011
    Horrible controls make this game impossible to play. First, I don't need to see a cut-scene every time I put my sword away. Second, being able to control the mouse for a greater view other than 10o degrees left or right would be helpful. Navigating around is made nearly impossible with very limited mouse view movement. You fee like you are trapped in a box or have a broken neck and can'tHorrible controls make this game impossible to play. First, I don't need to see a cut-scene every time I put my sword away. Second, being able to control the mouse for a greater view other than 10o degrees left or right would be helpful. Navigating around is made nearly impossible with very limited mouse view movement. You fee like you are trapped in a box or have a broken neck and can't move more than 2" inches left or right. On newer computers at least on mine I have to set the graphics to low in order to play it. I guess my 16GB of ram and GTX560 is too much for it to handle. The fighting is good but I can't play the game due to the horrid controls. UNINSTALLED. Expand
  3. Jul 10, 2011
    Outstanding game to say the least. I liked the puzzles, movement and action of this game. I look forward to playing all the rest of the PoP games now. Well done Ubisoft. Still a great game to play in 2011.
  4. Mar 14, 2013
    This is a perfect example how much otherwise really good game can be destroyed by stupid control system and camera. The control of movement is based on camera position so when the position of camera is changed(this happen as you are moving through) you just start running in different direction than before. In fights sometime camera so stupidly placed you see big pillar and you and yourThis is a perfect example how much otherwise really good game can be destroyed by stupid control system and camera. The control of movement is based on camera position so when the position of camera is changed(this happen as you are moving through) you just start running in different direction than before. In fights sometime camera so stupidly placed you see big pillar and you and your opponents are hidden behind it. But that is not the worst problem of fights, that is definitely auto locking of targets. It is quiet terrible, you have to finish your opponent with your dagger when he is on the ground, but even when he is in front of you and is the closest thing to you the prince actually start attacking somebody else who is not not even next to you nor are you facing his directions instead of finishing that poor sod under your foots. This is pretty annoying as the opponent just stand up while you try retake control over prince. Also jumping and rolling is on same button and the action is taken based on context so it is quiet usual prince is doing something else that you would wish him to do. All the other things as graphic(taking the age of this game into consideration), soundtrack, originality of location and game play are pretty good and I really enjoyed cooperation with that girl who is following you, the puzzles are fun maybe little bit to easy and overall the quality of this game is really good, but the problems of control system is drawing it down and I cannot make myself giving it more than 6 points.
    If the control system was working properly a would give it 9.
  5. Nov 2, 2011
    A great game even by today's standards. There aren't many issues with the game. The combat is fun despite its lack of depth, but if you look at more modern games like Assassin's Creed, even PoP SoT does a much better job at making the action feel lively and fluent. Rewinding is also a a feature which was years ahead of its time, and was to be adopted not by action-adventures orA great game even by today's standards. There aren't many issues with the game. The combat is fun despite its lack of depth, but if you look at more modern games like Assassin's Creed, even PoP SoT does a much better job at making the action feel lively and fluent. Rewinding is also a a feature which was years ahead of its time, and was to be adopted not by action-adventures or platformers, but racing games. Graphics for this game's genre at the time remain unmatched too. The level design deserves high praise too, with innovative challenges that don't take a genius to work out what you're meant to do. The gameplay elements are well-balanced so you won't get bored, and will want to keep playing to find out what happens next in the story. This is well-done because cutscenes aren't too long and the story is told gradually to keep your interest. This game to the genre in 6th generation is what Batman Arkham Asylum is to 7th gen. Truly a well-designed, market-leading game in every aspect. Expand
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    The very idea of what a good game must be. The controls and camera are perfect, waaay better than in the other games of the series though it is the most ancient. Graphics haven't aged much but the game doesn't support HD resolutions. The story is amazing too. Instant favorite.
  7. Jun 5, 2013
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time stands out for almost ten years as one of the most entertaining and enjoyable games ever released to a game console, thanks to an amazing soundtrack, very good pacing, interesting story and gorgeous scenarios.
  8. Dec 11, 2013
    I took only one issue with this game, and for me it was a pretty minor thing. The combat in this game can be a tad repetitive. Other than that, I found the story engaging, the puzzles challenging and fun, the levels well put together, and the characters were even well developed. In other words, I really don't think the combat ruins the game, or even lessens it. It just doesn't make itI took only one issue with this game, and for me it was a pretty minor thing. The combat in this game can be a tad repetitive. Other than that, I found the story engaging, the puzzles challenging and fun, the levels well put together, and the characters were even well developed. In other words, I really don't think the combat ruins the game, or even lessens it. It just doesn't make it better. Still a favorite game, and definitely one everyone should play. Expand
  9. Jun 10, 2011
    For a gamer who have played both Assassin's Creed I & II, I can say that those two iconic games take root from this awesome masterpiece. TSoT have a great puzzle design, and in terms of free-running, definitely a lot more challenging than AC, as you need to press the button for the corresponding action, not holding three buttons at the same time and let the PC do the obstacle-clearing forFor a gamer who have played both Assassin's Creed I & II, I can say that those two iconic games take root from this awesome masterpiece. TSoT have a great puzzle design, and in terms of free-running, definitely a lot more challenging than AC, as you need to press the button for the corresponding action, not holding three buttons at the same time and let the PC do the obstacle-clearing for you. At times, the puzzles are so complex you'll spend 1 hour+ finding your way through. But when you do get them, it's extremely satisfying. However, as most console-to-pc games, they have bad controls and camera movement. Dodging from enemies is very hard. Talking about enemies, they're very hard and complicated. The enemies won't die easily, and furthermore when they die, you need to absorb the enemies' corpses into your dagger, otherwise they will rise again and you have to fight them, again. Things got even more complicated when there's 4-5 enemies at a time, and when one enemy is killed, another one will come and replace him. If you're planning to buy this game, expect your patience level to be tested to the max (and your bladder XD). Collapse
  10. Aug 24, 2011
    this game has an story that is fun to follow with excellent written characters (basically 2 characters but better 2 great character then a million horrible ones, yeah elder scrolls I am calling you out) anyway the gameplay is very smooth mostly because you can rewind time when you die, which will happen a lot the combat is a little repetitive but it is okay. overall an amazing game
  11. Apr 6, 2012
    The Sands of Time, the magical game that brought the Prince of Persia series back to life. Undeniably one of the greatest adventure games ever made. The game has everything you need for an epic adventure; battle-ling ancient monsters, evading death traps, and solving some tough puzzles. If you screw up, no worries, you have quite a few chances to correct yourself. But that doesn't make theThe Sands of Time, the magical game that brought the Prince of Persia series back to life. Undeniably one of the greatest adventure games ever made. The game has everything you need for an epic adventure; battle-ling ancient monsters, evading death traps, and solving some tough puzzles. If you screw up, no worries, you have quite a few chances to correct yourself. But that doesn't make the game any easier. The story line is top notch and makes room for some light hearted humour. No matter what way you look at this game, its an epic adventure. Expand
  12. Apr 6, 2012
    Fun game with a perfect length and a very good unique concept. For the most part puzzles are great and fighting style is well executed, even if fights get very repetitive after a while.
  13. May 18, 2012
    In the Prince of Persia series this game is a legend with superb story and amazing fun gameplay.
    A true persian feeling , great environment and never forget the heart touching music. As a game it has everything that make you addicted of persian legends and arabian nights.
    Though movie changed the story, the game features real love story with miracles and magic. Its a great adventure. As they say, " A story like none of your ever heard."
  14. Nov 7, 2012
    This is one of the best action games i've played. Great story, great combat, great visuals. The game has some very nice sad and happy moments. If you haven't played it yet, go get it :)
  15. Nov 23, 2012
    Sands of Time is a reboot of a classic puzzle platforming franchise that dates back to the very early years of PC gaming. This title introduced the
  16. Jun 27, 2013
    prince of persia is a true masterpiece i loved this game so much i can't even remember how many times i finished it but the best part about this game is the ability to use time i found that really cool the game play is really fun but it gets repetitive after a while but climbing and walking in the walls using the dagger to slow time and so never gets old and you'll for sure enjoy it thisprince of persia is a true masterpiece i loved this game so much i can't even remember how many times i finished it but the best part about this game is the ability to use time i found that really cool the game play is really fun but it gets repetitive after a while but climbing and walking in the walls using the dagger to slow time and so never gets old and you'll for sure enjoy it this game is a must have Expand
  17. Apr 26, 2013
    This game starts off as fun. It provides a few challenges and the graphics are good for its time. Taking advantage of the "sands of time" system is a wonderful, creative way to implement lives. However, the camera panning is simply horrible. The camera jumps when entering certain areas, forcing the player to use different movement keys to move differently. The gameplay also gets quiteThis game starts off as fun. It provides a few challenges and the graphics are good for its time. Taking advantage of the "sands of time" system is a wonderful, creative way to implement lives. However, the camera panning is simply horrible. The camera jumps when entering certain areas, forcing the player to use different movement keys to move differently. The gameplay also gets quite repetitive after a while... Running, wall-running, jumping from here to there, etc. Enemies are all the same as is the combat. I am trying to complete the game, but I keep quitting in frustration due to the increasing boredom I receive from playing for too long. Expand
  18. Aug 4, 2013
    Sjajno, dosta igriva, dosta maštovito, ne loše grafike, finih zvukova, trajnost je na nivou, igra dosta duga i puna novih zapleta.......................
  19. Oct 23, 2013
    The game has enchanting graphics. Each room and area has a gorgeous design and the platforming has been done well. The combat can get repetitive once you are long in the game even though they have tried to keep it fresh by introducing new enemies as we progress in the game. The story line is romantic, charming and gripping with its sense of adventure and loneliness. The puzzle solving isThe game has enchanting graphics. Each room and area has a gorgeous design and the platforming has been done well. The combat can get repetitive once you are long in the game even though they have tried to keep it fresh by introducing new enemies as we progress in the game. The story line is romantic, charming and gripping with its sense of adventure and loneliness. The puzzle solving is downright fun and the voice acting is awesome. This is one the best games ever to grace the consoles and PC. The score is extremely good with the Persian chorus and music; will have the gamers immersed completely in the game forgetting about the real world. A must play game. A classic forever.... Expand
  20. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    The Sands of Time Trilogy just feels very complete & outshines nearly every other AAA game I've played even to this day.
  21. Dec 15, 2014
    To start with, this game is wrongly labeled as a platformer. There's not much "platforming" to do here. Though our hero is the acrobatic kind, do not expect having to do accurate jump sequences or anything of the sort. Sections with falling floors serve a purely dramatic purpose - you don't actually fall and you don't really need to pay attention. This is more of a puzzle game where youTo start with, this game is wrongly labeled as a platformer. There's not much "platforming" to do here. Though our hero is the acrobatic kind, do not expect having to do accurate jump sequences or anything of the sort. Sections with falling floors serve a purely dramatic purpose - you don't actually fall and you don't really need to pay attention. This is more of a puzzle game where you have to find the accurate path through a series of obstacles and/or traps. This isn't so bad in itself, but if you're looking for a platformer, this is probably not the game you're looking for.

This game has several issues, however.

Context-based gameplay: Only a few buttons are used to control the prince and he pulls off amazing stunts and a lot of different moves. This is all context-based, meaning he will do a different thing depending on what's in front of him. Having said that, it's difficult in some places to make him do the exact thing that you want him to do. When your angle to the wall isn't correct, he will run along it, instead of running up. When in battle and you're parrying and suddenly the enemy is too far away, he stops parrying and might run up a wall if you're close to one because these actions are controlled with the same button. This comes along with fairly poor controls where the running direction in enclosed spaces is hard to control. Since the camera occasionally changes perspective automatically, the prince will suddenly run into a different direction, which is very annoying.

Camera system: To be honest, I have never seen a game with such a poorly implemented camera system. Some people say it's an issue with the PC port. I do not care. It's bad. The camera bounces off off walls and make "swooosh"ing noises. Who came up with that? Sometimes the camera moves into the exactly opposite direction than I move the mouse. What the heck? The camera is jumpy, suddenly changing perspective (making the prince suddenly change direction -.-), but sometimes moves so slowly that I have to lift the mouse several times. Horrible. And then there are those places where the camera is fixed in one spot. Although the intent of the developers was to point the player to the next step of the puzzle and to simplity the controls the seem not to realize that all sense of 3D is lost when the camera doesn't move. There is first-person view to overcome this, but it's stil annoying.

Combat: The combat looks interesting, but ultimately is mostly button-mashing. Just keep pressing buttons, the prince will do SOMETHING. There's no skill or tactic involved. And the battles are too long with respawning enemies. This kind of combat is a major turn-off.
    Auto-aim: No, I want to attack that OTHER guy! Oh, forget it. He just does what he wants.

Pipe levels: Some levels must be called that, because you just keep going forward, avoiding traps and overcoming obstacles. Forks in the road appear only very occasionally. Some levels in later stages of the game, however, have a very interesting level design and it really takes a while to figure out how to get through.

Gameplay segregation: I just made up that word. The game is very clearly divided in combat and puzzle sequences. Instead of occasionally running into an enemy while making your way through the palace, there are combat scenes, where you have to defend against several enemies at the same time. And then there are actually 20 of them! I would have preferred a more mixed solution where you run into enemies more frequently, but only have to fight a few. This game, however, feels like it's actually two different games...

"Sands of time" also has several good points:
    The visuals are very appealing. I have to say that the game aged very well. It's still very nice to look at. The palace looks very realistic, the textures are nice, the monster design is good. Wonderful.
    Puzzles: The puzzle sequences are easy in the beginning, but become more challenging as you advance in the game. The puzzle elements (puzzles, pillars....) blend very well into the surroundings.
    The story is quite interesting (though I'm not through yet and don't know how it evolves). The interaction between Farah and the prince is nice - she will actually react to what he is doing, like holding her breath when he is about to fall. Very nice.

To conclude... I think "Sands of time" would be a great game if there was no combat and if the controls and camera weren't as horrible as they are. But unfortunately, these blend directly into the gameplay in an action puzzle game, so I give it a fairly mixed score. It's not fun to play for me because of the controls and camera system :(
  22. Jun 10, 2011

Ubi Soft Montreal has captured everything we loved about the first game without sacrificing the kinds of things we expect from games these days.
  2. Thrillinng acrobatic action, though the controls and camera could be better. [Mar 2004, p.88]
  3. The freedom of movement requires a new level of spatial imagination. Before Prince of Persia, platform games were like playing Tetris with only the blocks and bars. [Christmas 2003, p.100]