Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 PC

6.4

1. Oct 3, 2011
    Before I justify my score, I want to point a couple of things. First, I'm a huge PES fan, that played the franchise since the beggining, except for the web based stuff. Second, I want to point that something has changed in the game, maybe since 2010 edition, but especially with 2011 edition, and I think that change ocurred when Konami lost a portion of the market to EA, so they decided toBefore I justify my score, I want to point a couple of things. First, I'm a huge PES fan, that played the franchise since the beggining, except for the web based stuff. Second, I want to point that something has changed in the game, maybe since 2010 edition, but especially with 2011 edition, and I think that change ocurred when Konami lost a portion of the market to EA, so they decided to "fifalize" PES a bit, by throwing spammable feints in, super atlethes and lots of other stuff that catch the attention of the majority of the regular players, to try to regain that portion of the market. This ruined the gameplay, as PES was regarded as being a simulator and not an arcade; frustarted the fans of the series, because playing PES 2011 was liking playing a worse version of FIFA; and, finally, it made me feel like Konami was lost, because PES 2011 didn't had anything of the previous versions, it was a complete new game, and much worse one. So, in the name of PES I decided to face PES 2011 as a scratch to PES 2012, nad just ignore how bad it is. But now, when I played PES 2012, I saw only minor improvements when compared to the previous version, but also new and renewed bugs. It is like this game was rushed, because I never saw that many bugs in a soccer game before - not even in the much worse 2011 version. Anyway, here is a short list of cons of the new version: catch up system still works inside the area, regardless of what Konami devs says; passing is almost random (ie: being excruciating in the defense, perfectly acurate when playing defense to attack and being DUMB when in attack); players often trot all over the field with the ball in their feets, and markers just trot around; defense is very poor, even with tackling "working" in this version; to mark "properly", you have to play with the mark button on, like in the 2011 version; transitions between attacking and defending are very bad (ie: you're attacking, and then cpu steals the balls and kick it to one of their attacker: as soon as you loose the ball, your cursor will change to your defender, and you'll probably holding it forward, since you was attacking, in a way that in many times your defender will just left the cpu attacker alone); goalkeeper still take forever to get on his feet and kick the ball away, and this kick now is much moree random then before; player support was marginally reintroduced - because it was there from the beggining, then subtracted from version 2011 -, but its not like you see in the game ads. Well, there is some improvements to the game that doesnt fits in the gameplay aspect, like the introduction of a in game player search mechanism, but ill not evaluate it here, since here the gameplay is important. Well, after playing a few matches, I think I'll quit playing PES till the next version, when maybe Konami will have this new concept more mature. I'll give it a 5, since the game is a improvement from the last one, that I would have rated zero if I had the opportunity. Thanks for your attention. Have fun! Expand
  2. Oct 3, 2011
    Well so this is the deal,

A few years ago PES was THE highlight of the football (soccer for Americans) games. It actually made people abandon the old familiar FIFA and explore the new lands of KONAMI and more specifically PES. So as the years went on it got even BETTER, off ball movement, open space passes and realistic events that were caused due to the basic feature of freedom. If
    Well so this is the deal,

So as the years went on it got even BETTER, off ball movement, open space passes and realistic events that were caused due to the basic feature of freedom. If anyone wonders I've been playing PES since the first year it came out and have explored throughout every edition all the features, save for online play.

PES 2012 marks the newest link in an escalating line of PES editions over the last couple of years. And to make a quick list of things that have gone worse (or stayed the same) here they are:

1. Graphics - Stayed almost identical in the last couple of years, and PES 2012 brings no innovation.
    2. AI - While taking some time to adjust the new player side AI seems to have gotten dumber, offside traps aren't issued, player movement just doesn't make sense.
    3. GUI - Stayed the same, At the start it takes about 15 'Enter' presses just to start an Exhibition game.
    4. Team copyright - I know KONAMI have tried hard at that, and probably within a short amount of time some pirate packages will be released, still annoying that you play with big teams without the players' names and proper team name.

In summary, what once was a love romance between football fans and an exciting game, is now a boring marriage, and I think I want a divorce.

Cheers,
  3. Oct 3, 2011

Cheers,

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 15, 2011
    New Konami football sim will please and annoy you in one minute. Lifelike football actions and visuals are spoiled by robotic AI, restricted moves and raw physics engine. [Nov 2011]
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    Pro Evolution Soccer is like Kaka – in mid-noughties it was cherished and loved, but today it's just a pale shadow of its old glorious self.
  3. CD-Action
    Nov 9, 2011
    PES 2012 fails to shift the balance – even if it's the best Pro Evolution Soccer to date it's still far behind the FIFA series. What PES desperately needs is a deep change. [November 2011, p.62]